Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Gabra5
Description: gamma-aminobutyric acid type A receptor alpha 5 subunit
Alias: gamma-aminobutyric acid receptor subunit alpha-5, GABA(A) receptor subunit alpha-5, GABA-A receptor alpha-5 subunit, gamma-aminobutyric acid A receptor, alpha 5, gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) A receptor, alpha 5, gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA-A) receptor, subunit alpha 5
- The α5 subunit containing GABAA receptors contribute to chronic painMariana Bravo-Hernández
aNeurobiology of Pain Laboratory, Departamento de Farmacobiologia, Centro de Investigacion y de Estudios Avanzados, Mexico, DF, Mexico bNeuroregeneration Laboratory, Department of Anesthesiology, University of California San Diego, La Jolla, CA, USA cDepartamento de Biología Celular, Centro de Investigacion y de Estudios Avanzados, Mexico, DF, Mexico dDepartamento de Biología Molecular e Histocompatibilidad, Hospital General Dr Manuel Gea Gonzalez, Mexico, DF, Mexico eDepartment of Pathology, University of California San Diego, La Jolla, CA, USA fDepartamento de Fisiología, Biofisica y Neurociencias, Centro de Investigacion y de Estudios Avanzados, Mexico, DF, Mexico gInstitute of Neurobiology, Slovak Academy of Sciences, Kosice, Slovakia
Pain 157:613-26. 2016..These results suggest that α5-GABAA receptors play a role in the loss of GABAergic inhibition and contribute to long-lasting secondary allodynia and hyperalgesia. ..
- A novel GABA(A) alpha 5 receptor inhibitor with therapeutic potentialIstvan Ling
Chemical Research Division, EGIS Pharmaceuticals Plc, Budapest, Hungary
Eur J Pharmacol 764:497-507. 2015..In summary, we have discovered a first-in-class GABA-site inhibitor of extra-synaptic GABAA α5 receptors that has promising drug-like properties and warrants further development. ..
- Synaptic localization of α5 GABA (A) receptors via gephyrin interaction regulates dendritic outgrowth and spine maturationMegan L Brady
Department of Pharmacology and Chemical Biology, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, 15261
Dev Neurobiol 75:1241-51. 2015....
- The α5GABAA receptor modulates the induction of long-term potentiation at ventral but not dorsal CA1 hippocampal synapsesHermes Pofantis
Laboratory of Physiology, Department of Medicine, School of Health Sciences, University of Patras, 26504, Rion, Patras, Greece
Synapse 68:394-401. 2014..This might have important implications for the functional specialization along the hippocampus...
- Α2 GABAA receptor sub-units in the ventral hippocampus and α5 GABAA receptor sub-units in the dorsal hippocampus mediate anxiety and fear memoryK McEown
University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Neuroscience 252:169-77. 2013..This double dissociation suggests that α2 GABAA receptor sub-units in the ventral hippocampus mediate unconditioned fear or anxiety, while α5 GABAA receptor sub-units in the dorsal hippocampus mediate conditioned fear memory. ..
- Characterization of CpG island DNA methylation of impairment-related genes in a rat model of cognitive agingRebecca P Haberman
Department of Psychological and Brain Sciences, The Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD, USA
Epigenetics 7:1008-19. 2012..we examined genomic CpG DNA methylation in the promoter regions of three neurophysiologically relevant genes (Gabra5, Hspa5 and Syn1) whose expression levels decrease with age and correlate with spatial memory performance...
- [Expression of α(5) subunit of extrasynaptic GABA(A) receptor in insular-kindled rats]En Jie Wang
Ningxia Medical University, Incubation Base of National Key Laboratory for Cerebrocranial Diseases, Yinchuan 750004, China
Zhonghua Yi Xue Za Zhi 92:1770-3. 2012..To explore the expression of α(5) subunit of extrasynaptic GABA(A) receptor in insular electrical kindled rats and analyze its significance...
- ClC-2 contributes to tonic inhibition mediated by α5 subunit-containing GABA(A) receptor in experimental temporal lobe epilepsyY X Ge
Department of Neurology, Shanghai Medical College, Fudan University, Shanghai, People s Republic of China
Neuroscience 186:120-7. 2011....
- mRNA and protein levels for GABAAalpha4, alpha5, beta1 and GABABR1 receptors are altered in brains from subjects with autismS Hossein Fatemi
Department of Psychiatry, Division of Neuroscience Research, University of Minnesota School of Medicine, 420 Delaware St SE MMC 392, Minneapolis, MN 55455, USA
J Autism Dev Disord 40:743-50. 2010..These results provide further evidence of impairment of GABAergic signaling in autism...
- Identification, coassembly, and activity of gamma-aminobutyric acid receptor subunits in renal proximal tubular cellsSatinder S Sarang
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Medical University of South Carolina, 280 Calhoun St, POB 250140, Charleston, SC 29425, USA
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 324:376-82. 2008....
- Synaptic and nonsynaptic localization of GABAA receptors containing the alpha5 subunit in the rat brainDavid R Serwanski
Department of Physiology and Neurobiology, University of Connecticut, Storrs, Connecticut 06269, USA
J Comp Neurol 499:458-70. 2006..The results suggest that the synaptic alpha5-GABA(A)Rs might play a role in the phasic GABAergic inhibition of pyramidal neurons in hippocampus and cerebral cortex...
- The differential role of alpha1- and alpha5-containing GABA(A) receptors in mediating diazepam effects on spontaneous locomotor activity and water-maze learning and memory in ratsMiroslav M Savić
Department of Pharmacology, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Belgrade, Belgrade, Serbia
Int J Neuropsychopharmacol 12:1179-93. 2009..Combining a BZ with beta-CCt results in the near to control level of performance of a cognitive task, without sedation, and may be worth testing on human subjects...
- In the developing rat hippocampus a tonic GABAA-mediated conductance selectively enhances the glutamatergic drive of principal cellsIvan Marchionni
Neuroscience Programme, International School for Advanced Studies, Via Beirut 2 4, 34014 Trieste, Italy
J Physiol 581:515-28. 2007..The increased cell excitability and synaptic activity following the activation of extrasynaptic GABA(A) receptors by ambient GABA would facilitate the induction of giant depolarizing potentials...
- The distribution of 13 GABAA receptor subunit mRNAs in the rat brain. I. Telencephalon, diencephalon, mesencephalonW Wisden
Laboratory of Molecular Neuroendocrinology, Zentrum fur Molekulare Biologie, University of Heidelberg, Germany
J Neurosci 12:1040-62. 1992..Based on significant mismatches between alpha 4/delta and gamma mRNAs, we suggest that in vivo, the alpha 4 subunit contributes to GABAA receptors that lack BZ modulation...
- Neurosteroid modulation of recombinant rat alpha5beta2gamma2L and alpha1beta2gamma2L GABA(A) receptors in Xenopus oocyteMozibur Rahman
Umea Neurosteroid Research Center, Department of Clinical Science, Obstetrics and Gynecology, Umea University, S 901 85 Umea, Sweden
Eur J Pharmacol 547:37-44. 2006..Results from the current study revealed a different modulation pattern by neurosteroids between the alpha(1)beta(2)gamma(2L) and alpha(5)beta(2)gamma(2L) receptor...
- Expression of alpha 5 GABAA receptor subunit in developing rat hippocampusBlanca Ramos
Departamento de Bioquimica, Bromatologia, Toxicologia y Medicina Legal, Facultad de Farmacia, Universidad de Sevilla, c Prof Garcia Gonzalez, 41012, Spain
Brain Res Dev Brain Res 151:87-98. 2004..This developmental pattern is similar to that reported for the Na(+)-K(+)-2Cl(-) system and it might be correlated with the transition from excitatory to inhibitory GABAergic activity...
- Excess of allele1 for alpha3 subunit GABA receptor gene (GABRA3) in bipolar patients: a multicentric association studyI Massat
Department of Psychiatry, University Clinics of Brussels, Erasme Hospital, Free University of Brussels, Belgium
Mol Psychiatry 7:201-7. 2002..00002). Our findings suggest that the GABRA3 polymorphism may confer susceptibility to or may be in linkage disequilibrium with another gene involved in the genetic etiology of BPAD...
- Association between the GABA(A) receptor alpha5 subunit gene locus (GABRA5) and bipolar affective disorderG N Papadimitriou
Department of Psychiatry, Eginition Hospital, Athens University Medical School, Greece
Am J Med Genet 81:73-80. 1998..We examined the possible genetic association between the GABA(A) receptor alpha5 subunit gene locus (GABRA5) on chromosome 15 and affective disorder, in 48 bipolar patients (BP), 40 unipolar patients (UP), and 50 healthy ..
- Positive association between the GABRA5 gene and unipolar recurrent major depressionL Oruc
Flanders Interuniversity Institute for Biotechnology, Born Bunge Foundation, Department of Biochemistry, University of Antwerp, Belgium
Neuropsychobiology 36:62-4. 1997..Our results suggest a possible involvement of this gene in unipolar but not in bipolar disorder...
- A novel alpha subunit in rat brain GABAA receptorsM Khrestchatisky
Department of Biology, University of California, Los Angeles 90024
Neuron 3:745-53. 1989..Picrotoxin alone, applied to oocytes producing the alpha and beta polypeptides, elicited an outward current. We suggest that these polypeptides together produce GABA-gated ion channels that can also open spontaneously...
- Gamma-aminobutyric acidA receptor alpha 5-subunit creates novel type II benzodiazepine receptor pharmacologyD B Pritchett
Laboratory of Molecular Neuroendocrinology, Universitat Heidelberg, F R G
J Neurochem 54:1802-4. 1990..Based on these findings, a reclassification of the GABAA/benzodiazepine receptors is warranted...
- Functional expression and sites of gene transcription of a novel alpha subunit of the GABAA receptor in rat brainP Malherbe
Research Department, Hoffmann La Roche, Basle, Switzerland
FEBS Lett 260:261-5. 1990....
- The GABAA receptor family: molecular and functional diversityP H Seeburg
Laboratory of Molecular Neuroendocrinology, University of Heidelberg, Federal Republic of Germany
Cold Spring Harb Symp Quant Biol 55:29-40. 1990
- GABAA receptor channels: from subunits to functional entitiesW Wisden
University of Heidelberg, Germany
Curr Opin Neurobiol 2:263-9. 1992..In addition, molecular determinants underlying the differential binding properties of allosteric ligands to receptor subtypes have been identified...
- The distribution of 13 GABAA receptor subunit mRNAs in the rat brain. II. Olfactory bulb and cerebellumD J Laurie
Laboratory of Molecular Neuroendocrinology, Zentrum fur Molekulare Biologie, University of Heidelberg, Germany
J Neurosci 12:1063-76. 1992..The delta-subunit mRNA appears to codistribute with alpha-subunit mRNAs (alpha 4 and alpha 6) associated with GABAA subunits that fail to bind benzodiazepine agonists...
- Novel Phospholipase A2 in Oxidant-Induced Cell InjuryRick G Schnellmann; Fiscal Year: 2010..Ultimately, these studies may lead to new therapeutic and pharmacological approaches to increase cell and organ survival in numerous pathologic situations. ..
- MECHANISM OF RENAL CELL REPAIR FOLLOWING TOXICANT INJURYRICK SCHNELLMANN; Fiscal Year: 2002..Completion of these aims will result in a better understanding of the mechanisms involved in renal cell regeneration and the repair of physiological functions following toxicant exposure. ..
- Varenicline and Smoking Cessation in SchizophreniaSEYYED HOSSEIN FATEMI; Fiscal Year: 2010..Such outcomes will be significant, because they will offer a new treatment for smoking cessation in this vulnerable population. ..
- Prenatal Virally Induced Brain Disorder in MouseSEYYED FATEMI; Fiscal Year: 2009..In addition, it is expected that the results will provide clues that will lead to fundamental advances in our knowledge of the pathogenesis of schizophrenia and, therefore, of how it can be prevented and treated. ..
- IDENTIFICATION OF NEURONAL RECEPTOR SUBUNITS IN KIDNEYRICK SCHNELLMANN; Fiscal Year: 2001..abstract_text> ..
- MITOCHONDRIAL CALPAIN MEDIATED RENAL CELL DEATHRICK SCHNELLMANN; Fiscal Year: 2007..Ultimately, these studies may lead to the development of therapeutic agents that improve clinical outcomes in patients with ARF. [unreadable] [unreadable]..