Genomes and Genes
eukaryotic elongation factor 2 kinase
Gene Symbol: eukaryotic elongation factor 2 kinase
Description: eukaryotic elongation factor-2 kinase
Alias: SMEF2K, eukaryotic elongation factor 2 kinase, calcium/calmodulin-dependent eukaryotic elongation factor 2 kinase, eEF-2 kinase, eEF-2K, elongation factor 2 kinase, eukaroytic elongation factor 2 kinase
- Levels of mTOR and its downstream targets 4E-BP1, eEF2, and eEF2 kinase in relationships with tau in Alzheimer's disease brainXu Li
Division of Experimental Geriatrics, Department of Neurotec, Karolinska Institutet, Huddinge, Sweden
FEBS J 272:4211-20. 2005....
- Oxygen and glucose deprivation induces widespread alterations in mRNA translation within 20 minutesDmitry E Andreev
School of Biochemistry and Cell Biology, Western Gateway Building, University College Cork, Cork, Ireland
Genome Biol 16:90. 2015..Oxygen and glucose metabolism play pivotal roles in many (patho)physiological conditions. In particular, oxygen and glucose deprivation (OGD) during ischemia and stroke results in extensive tissue injury and cell death...
- Eukaryotic elongation factor 2 kinase regulates the development of hypertension through oxidative stress-dependent vascular inflammationTatsuya Usui
Laboratory of Veterinary Pharmacology, School of Veterinary Medicine, Kitasato University, Towada, Aomori, Japan
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 305:H756-68. 2013b>Eukaryotic elongation factor 2 kinase (eEF2K) is a Ca2+/calmodulin-dependent protein kinase. We recently demonstrated that eEF2K protein increases in mesenteric artery from spontaneously hypertensive rats (SHR)...
- Synaptic activity controls dendritic spine morphology by modulating eEF2-dependent BDNF synthesisChiara Verpelli
Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche Neuroscience Institute, Milan, Italy
J Neurosci 30:5830-42. 2010..We propose that the eEF2K/eEF2 pathway is a key biochemical sensor that couple neuronal activity to spine plasticity, by controlling the dendritic translation of BDNF...
- Brain-derived neurotrophic factor enhances the basal rate of protein synthesis by increasing active eukaryotic elongation factor 2 levels and promoting translation elongation in cortical neuronsNobuyuki Takei
Department of Molecular Neurobiology, Brain Research Institute, Niigata University, Niigata 951 8585, Japan
J Biol Chem 284:26340-8. 2009..Taken together, our results demonstrate that the increased level of active eEF2 induced by chronic BDNF stimulation enhances translational elongation processes and increases the total rate of protein synthesis in neurons...
- Characterization of the role of microtubule-associated protein 1B in metabotropic glutamate receptor-mediated endocytosis of AMPA receptors in hippocampusGenoveva Davidkova
Dominick P Purpura Department of Neuroscience, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, New York 10461, USA
J Neurosci 27:13273-8. 2007..Although interfering with protein synthesis using short interfering RNA (siRNA) to eEF2 kinase (eukaryotic elongation factor 2 kinase) blocked the dendritic MAP1B increase by both pathways, it selectively blocked the DHPG- and not ..
- AMP-activated protein kinase protects cardiomyocytes against hypoxic injury through attenuation of endoplasmic reticulum stressKazuo Terai
Department of Cardiovascular Medicine, Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine, 2 2 Yamadaoka, Suita City, Osaka 565 0871, Japan
Mol Cell Biol 25:9554-75. 2005....
- Prolactin regulation of the calmodulin-dependent protein kinase III elongation factor-2 system in the rat corpus luteumC T Albarracin
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, University of Illinois, Chicago 60612
J Biol Chem 269:7772-6. 1994..These data provide strong evidence for a role of the EF-2/CaM kinase III system in PRL action in the corpus luteum...
- Myocardial ischemia and increased heart work modulate the phosphorylation state of eukaryotic elongation factor-2Sandrine Horman
Hormone and Metabolic Research Unit, Christian de Duve Institute of Cellular Pathology, University of Louvain Medical School, Avenue Hippocrate 75, ICP UCL 7529, B 1200 Brussels, Belgium
J Biol Chem 278:41970-6. 2003..eEF2K activity was unchanged by increasing the workload, suggesting that the decrease in eEF2 phosphorylation could result from the activation of an eEF2 phosphatase...
- Localization of translational components at the ultramicroscopic level at postsynaptic sites of the rat brainChie Asaki
Department of Neuroplasticity, Research Center on Aging and Adaptation, Shinshu University, 3 1 1 Asahi, Matsumoto 390 8621, Japan
Brain Res 972:168-76. 2003..The results also suggest the presence of ER-associated type of translational machinery at the postsynaptic sites...
- Activation of AMP-activated protein kinase leads to the phosphorylation of elongation factor 2 and an inhibition of protein synthesisSandrine Horman
Hormone and Metabolic Research Unit, Christian de Duve International Institute of Cellular Pathology and Université Catholique de Louvain, Avenue Hippocrate, 75, B 1200, Brussels, Belgium
Curr Biol 12:1419-23. 2002..Therefore, the activation of eEF2 kinase by AMPK, resulting in the phosphorylation and inactivation of eEF2, provides a novel mechanism for the inhibition of protein synthesis...
- Regulation of protein-synthesis elongation-factor-2 kinase by cAMP in adipocytesT A Diggle
Department of Biochemistry, University of Leicester, University Road, Leicester LE1 7RH, U K
Biochem J 336:525-9. 1998..These results demonstrate a novel mechanism for the control of protein synthesis by hormones which act by increasing cytoplasmic cAMP...
- Proteasomal degradation of eukaryotic elongation factor-2 kinase (EF2K) is regulated by cAMP-PKA signaling and the SCFβTRCP ubiquitin E3 ligaseShari L Wiseman
Department of Psychiatry, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06508, USA
J Biol Chem 288:17803-11. 2013..We propose that the proteasomal degradation of EF2K provides a mechanistic link between activity-dependent protein synthesis and degradation...
- Stimulation of the AMP-activated protein kinase leads to activation of eukaryotic elongation factor 2 kinase and to its phosphorylation at a novel site, serine 398Gareth J Browne
Division of Molecular Physiology, Faculty of Life Sciences, University of Dundee, Dundee DD1 5EH, Scotland, United Kingdom
J Biol Chem 279:12220-31. 2004..Thus, AMPK and eEF2 kinase may provide a key link between cellular energy status and the inhibition of protein synthesis, a major consumer of metabolic energy...
- A Ca(2+)-calmodulin-eEF2K-eEF2 signalling cascade, but not AMPK, contributes to the suppression of skeletal muscle protein synthesis during contractionsAdam J Rose
Copenhagen Muscle Research Centre and Molecular Physiology Group, Department of Exercise and Sport Sciences, University of Copenhagen, Denmark
J Physiol 587:1547-63. 2009..In summary, in fast-twitch skeletal muscle, the inhibition of eEF2 activity by phosphorylation downstream of Ca(2+)-CaM-eEF2K signalling partially contributes to the suppression of protein synthesis during exercise/contractions...
- Identification of a new class of protein kinases represented by eukaryotic elongation factor-2 kinaseA G Ryazanov
Department of Pharmacology, Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, Piscataway, NJ 08854, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 94:4884-9. 1997..This suggests that eEF-2 kinase and MHCK A are members of a new class of protein kinases with a novel catalytic domain structure...
- Cloning and expression of cDNA encoding protein synthesis elongation factor-2 kinaseN T Redpath
Department of Biochemistry, University of Leicester, University Road, Leicester LE1 7RH, United Kingdom
J Biol Chem 271:17547-54. 1996..Northern blot analysis demonstrated that eEF-2K mRNA is expressed in a number of different tissues and that it may exist in multiple forms...
- THE ROLE OF EF-2 KINASE IN DRUG RESISTANCEALEXEY RYAZANOV; Fiscal Year: 2003..Experiments will be performed to design and develop specific eEF-2 kinase inhibitors which can serve as pro- apoptotic agents. ..
- STRUCTURE/FUNCTION OF EFF-2 KINASEALEXEY RYAZANOV; Fiscal Year: 2003..This work will reveal the structural organization and function of a new class of protein kinases, which will provide new and important information about the mechanism of protein phosphorylation. ..
- THE ROLE OF PROTEIN TURNOVER IN AGINGALEXEY RYAZANOV; Fiscal Year: 2005..The experiments described in this grant application are designed to provide a foundation for the development of novel therapeutic reagents that can mimic caloric restriction, circumventing some of the deleterious consequences of aging. ..