Genomes and Genes
elongation factor 2
Gene Symbol: elongation factor 2
Description: eukaryotic translation elongation factor 2
Alias: Ef-2, elongation factor 2
- Myocardial ischemia and increased heart work modulate the phosphorylation state of eukaryotic elongation factor-2Sandrine Horman
Hormone and Metabolic Research Unit, Christian de Duve Institute of Cellular Pathology, University of Louvain Medical School, Avenue Hippocrate 75, ICP UCL 7529, B 1200 Brussels, Belgium
J Biol Chem 278:41970-6. 2003..eEF2K activity was unchanged by increasing the workload, suggesting that the decrease in eEF2 phosphorylation could result from the activation of an eEF2 phosphatase...
- Functional properties of phosphorylated elongation factor 2U Carlberg
Department of Cell Biology, Wenner Gren Institute, University of Stockholm, Sweden
Eur J Biochem 191:639-45. 1990The effect of phosphorylation on the functional activity of eukaryotic elongation factor 2 (eEF-2) was studied using a purified phosphorylated factor...
- The mechanics of ribosomal translocationJohn Achenbach
NOXXON Pharma AG, Max Dohrn Str 8 10, 10589 Berlin, Germany
Biochimie 114:80-9. 2015..This review inspects and surveys these achievements...
- Structural basis of the translational elongation cycleRebecca M Voorhees
MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology, Cambridge CB2 0QH, United Kingdom
Annu Rev Biochem 82:203-36. 2013....
- Post-transcriptional effects and interactions between chronic mild stress and acute sleep deprivation: regulation of translation factor and cytoplasmic polyadenylation element-binding protein phosphorylationJanne Grønli
Department of Biological and Medical Psychology, University of Bergen, Jonas Lies vei 91, N 5009 Bergen, Norway
Behav Brain Res 235:251-62. 2012..weeks of CMS, phosphorylation of two key translation factors, eukaryotic initiation factor 4E (eIF4E) and elongation factor 2 (eEF2), was enhanced in the prefrontal cortex, but unchanged in the hippocampus and dentate gyrus...
- Protein macroarray profiling of serum autoantibodies in pseudoexfoliation glaucomaEdward W Dervan
Institute of Ophthalmology, Mater Misericordiae University Hospital, Dublin, Ireland
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 51:2968-75. 2010..The goal was to identify and characterize the IgG autoantibody repertoires in sera of patients with pseudoexfoliation glaucoma (PXFG) with protein macroarrays...
- Brain-derived neurotrophic factor enhances the basal rate of protein synthesis by increasing active eukaryotic elongation factor 2 levels and promoting translation elongation in cortical neuronsNobuyuki Takei
Department of Molecular Neurobiology, Brain Research Institute, Niigata University, Niigata 951 8585, Japan
J Biol Chem 284:26340-8. 2009..BDNF specifically increased the level of the active, unphosphorylated form of eukaryotic elongation factor 2 (eEF2)...
- A pharmacoproteomic approach implicates eukaryotic elongation factor 2 kinase in ER stress-induced cell deathM Boyce
Department of Cell Biology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Cell Death Differ 15:589-99. 2008..We show that sal induces phosphorylation of the translation elongation factor eukaryotic translation elongation factor 2 (eEF-2), an event that depends on eEF-2 kinase (eEF-2K)...
- Chronic fluoxetine induces region-specific changes in translation factor eIF4E and eEF2 activity in the rat brainGrethe Dagestad
Department of Biomedicine, University of Bergen, and Bergen Mental Health Research Center, Jonas Lies vei 91, N 5009 Bergen, Norway
Eur J Neurosci 23:2814-8. 2006..of two major determinants of mRNA translation, eukaryotic initiation factor 4E (eIF4E) and eukaryotic elongation factor 2 (eEF2)...
- Impaired overload-induced muscle growth is associated with diminished translational signalling in aged rat fast-twitch skeletal muscleDavid M Thomson
Human Performance Laboratory, 363 Ward Sports Medicine Building, East Carolina University, Greenville, NC 27858, USA
J Physiol 574:291-305. 2006..signalling intermediates, 70 kDa ribosomal protein S6 kinase (S6k), ribosomal protein S6 (rpS6), eukaryotic elongation factor 2 (eEF2), and eukaryotic initiation factor 4E-binding protein 1 (4E-BP1), in conjunction with impaired growth ..
- Estrogen regulation of the rat anterior pituitary gland proteomeCharles A Blake
Department of Cell and Developmental Biology and Anatomy, University of South Carolina School of Medicine, Columbia, SC 29208, USA
Exp Biol Med (Maywood) 230:800-7. 2005..g., eukaryotic translation elongation factor 2, ERp57, ERp29, Hsc70-ps1, calreticulin, coatomer delta subunit, and secretogranin II) and of some metabolic ..
- Levels of mTOR and its downstream targets 4E-BP1, eEF2, and eEF2 kinase in relationships with tau in Alzheimer's disease brainXu Li
Division of Experimental Geriatrics, Department of Neurotec, Karolinska Institutet, Huddinge, Sweden
FEBS J 272:4211-20. 2005..target of rapamycin (mTOR), eukaryotic initiation factor 4E binding protein 1 (4E-BP1), eukaryotic elongation factor 2 (eEF2), and eEF2 kinase were investigated in relationship with tau in homogenates of the medial temporal ..
- Effect of prenatal exposure to ethanol on hepatic elongation factor-2 and proteome in 21 d old rats: protective effect of folic acidS Garcia-Rodriguez
Departamento de Bioquimica, Bromatologia, Toxicologia y Medicina Legal, Universidad de Sevilla, Sevilla, Spain
Free Radic Biol Med 35:428-37. 2003..This protective effect of folic acid may be related to its antioxidant properties and suggests that this vitamin may be useful in minimizing the effect of ethanol in the uterus and lactation exposure of the progeny...
- Localization of translational components at the ultramicroscopic level at postsynaptic sites of the rat brainChie Asaki
Department of Neuroplasticity, Research Center on Aging and Adaptation, Shinshu University, 3 1 1 Asahi, Matsumoto 390 8621, Japan
Brain Res 972:168-76. 2003..The results also suggest the presence of ER-associated type of translational machinery at the postsynaptic sites...
- Increased phosphorylation of elongation factor 2 in Alzheimer's diseaseG Johnson
Laboratory of Biochemical Genetics, National Institute of Mental Health, St Elizabeth s Hospital, Washington, DC
Brain Res Mol Brain Res 15:319-26. 1992b>Elongation factor 2 (EF-2) is a phosphoprotein that mediates the translocation step of elongation during protein synthesis...
- Heterogeneity of cardiac rat and human elongation factor 2D Jager
Department of Medicine III, Martin Luther University, Halle Wittenberg, Germany
Electrophoresis 21:2729-36. 2000b>Elongation factor 2 (EF-2) catalyses the last step of the elongation cycle, translocation, in the course of protein biosynthesis...
- A systematic analysis of 40 random genes in cultured vascular smooth muscle subtypes reveals a heterogeneity of gene expression and identifies the tight junction gene zonula occludens 2 as a marker of epithelioid "pup" smooth muscle cells and a participanL D Adams
Department of Pathology, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195 7335, USA
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 19:2600-8. 1999....
- Eukaryotic elongation factor 2 can bind to the synthetic oligoribonucleotide that mimics sarcin/ricin domain of rat 28S ribosomal RNAS Tang
Institute of Biochemistry and Cell Biology, Shanghai Institutes for Biological Sciences, Chinese Academy of Sciences
Mol Cell Biochem 223:117-21. 2001Eukaryotic elongation factor 2 (eEF2) catalyzes the translocation of peptidyl-tRNA from the A site to P site by binding to the ribosome...
- Interactions of eukaryotic elongation factor 2 with actin: a possible link between protein synthetic machinery and cytoskeletonM Bektas
Department of Biophysics, Istanbul University, Istanbul Faculty of Medicine, Turkey
FEBS Lett 356:89-93. 1994Eukaryotic elongation factor 2 (EF-2) was shown to bind to F-actin as assayed by co-sedimentation. In the presence of guanosine-5'-O-(3-thiotriphosphate) (GTP gamma S) binding was increased fourfold...
- Role of calmodulin-dependent phosphorylation of elongation factor 2 in the proliferation of rat glial cellsD M Bagaglio
Department of Pharmacology, Cancer Institute of New Jersey, Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, Piscataway 08854 5638
Cell Growth Differ 5:1403-8. 1994..Previously, we have shown that CaM-dependent protein kinase III phosphorylates elongation factor 2 (EF-2) in proliferating, C6 glioma cells but not in normal white matter, a tissue rich in nonproliferating ..
- Role of elongation factor 2 in regulating peptide-chain elongation in the heartT C Vary
Department of Cellular and Molecular Physiology, Pennsylvania State University, College of Medicine, Hershey 17033
Am J Physiol 266:E628-34. 1994..The decreased rate of peptide-chain elongation was associated with a 66% reduction in the amount of elongation factor 2 (EF-2)...
- Glucose regulates EF-2 phosphorylation and protein translation by a protein phosphatase-2A-dependent mechanism in INS-1-derived 832/13 cellsLimei Yan
Department of Medicine, University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois 60637, USA
J Biol Chem 278:18177-83. 2003..Taken together, these results suggest that modulation of extracellular glucose impacts protein translation rate in beta cells at least in part through regulation of the elongation step, via phosphorylation/dephosphorylation of EF-2...
- Carbon monoxide releasing molecule-2 CORM-2 represses global protein synthesis by inhibition of eukaryotic elongation factor eEF2Christian Ingo Schwer
Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine, University Medical Center Freiburg, Hugstetterstrasse 55, D 79106 Freiburg, Germany
Int J Biochem Cell Biol 45:201-12. 2013..CORM-2 prevented the decrease in the phosphorylation of eukaryotic elongation factor 2 (eEF2) caused by serum...
- In vitro and in vivo protection by melatonin against the decline of elongation factor-2 caused by lipid peroxidation: preservation of protein synthesisSandro Arguelles
Departamento de Bioquimica y Biologia Molecular, Facultad de Farmacia, Universidad de Sevilla, Sevilla, Espana, Spain
J Pineal Res 53:1-10. 2012..The results also show that serum levels of several hormones were affected by CH-induced oxidative stress, which was partially or totally prevented by melatonin...
- A Ca(2+)-calmodulin-eEF2K-eEF2 signalling cascade, but not AMPK, contributes to the suppression of skeletal muscle protein synthesis during contractionsAdam J Rose
Copenhagen Muscle Research Centre and Molecular Physiology Group, Department of Exercise and Sport Sciences, University of Copenhagen, Denmark
J Physiol 587:1547-63. 2009..It was hypothesized that there would be a coordinated regulation of eukaryotic elongation factor 2 (eEF2) and eukaryotic initiation factor 4E-binding protein 1 (4EBP1) phosphorylation by signalling cascades ..
- Proteomic study on X-irradiation-responsive proteins and ageing: search for responsible proteins for radiation adaptive responseYuri Miura
Research Team for Functional Genomics, Tokyo Metropolitan Institute of Gerontology, 35 2 Sakaecho, Itabashi ku, Tokyo 173 0015, Japan
J Biochem 142:145-55. 2007..The relative abundance of elongation factor 2 (EF-2) fragment increased 3 h and reduced 24 h after 0.1 Gy irradiation...
- Identification of the major Mr 100,000 substrate for calmodulin-dependent protein kinase III in mammalian cells as elongation factor-2A C Nairn
Laboratory of Molecular and Cellular Neuroscience, Rockefeller University, New York, New York 10021
J Biol Chem 262:17299-303. 1987..These results suggest that intracellular Ca2+ inhibits protein synthesis in mammalian cells via CaM-dependent protein kinase III-catalyzed phosphorylation of EF-2...
- Synaptic activity controls dendritic spine morphology by modulating eEF2-dependent BDNF synthesisChiara Verpelli
Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche Neuroscience Institute, Milan, Italy
J Neurosci 30:5830-42. 2010..We show that the kinase for eukaryotic elongation factor 2 (eEF2K) regulates dendritic spine stability and synaptic structure by modulating activity-dependent ..
- Endogenous ADP-ribosylation of elongation factor-2 by interleukin-1βDoris Jäger
Department of Medicine III, University Halle Wittenberg, Halle, Germany
Mol Cell Biochem 348:125-8. 2011..In this article, we report the first known activator of endogenous ADP-ribosylation of eEF-2, interleukin-1β (IL-1β). Thereby, systemic inflammatory processes may link to protein synthesis regulation...
- Effect of aging and oxidative stress on elongation factor-2 in hypothalamus and hypophysisSandro Arguelles
Dpto Bioquímica y Biología Molecular, Facultad de Farmacia, Universidad de Sevilla, Spain
Mech Ageing Dev 132:55-64. 2011..Besides eEF-2, proteomic analysis shows that several other proteins are affected...
- Amino acid sequence of mammalian elongation factor 2 deduced from the cDNA sequence: homology with GTP-binding proteinsK Kohno
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 83:4978-82. 1986Complementary DNA clones, pHEW1 and pRE2, coding for hamster and rat polypeptide chain elongation factor 2 (EF-2), respectively, were isolated and sequenced...
- Primary structure of rat liver elongation factor 2 deduced from the cDNA sequenceA V Oleinikov
Institute of Protein Research, Academy of Sciences of the USSR, Moscow Region
FEBS Lett 248:131-6. 1989A number of cDNA clones in summary encoding 700 amino acid residues from the N-end of rat liver elongation factor 2 (EF-2) and including 49 nucleotides of the 5'-untranslated mRNA region have been obtained...
- Elongation factor 2. Amino acid sequence at the site of adenosine diphosphate ribosylationE A Robinson
J Biol Chem 249:5088-93. 1974
- AMPK activation attenuates S6K1, 4E-BP1, and eEF2 signaling responses to high-frequency electrically stimulated skeletal muscle contractionsDavid M Thomson
Human Performance Laboratory, Department of Exercise and Sport Science, East Carolina University, Greenville, NC 27858, USA
J Appl Physiol (1985) 104:625-32. 2008..initiation factor 4E-binding protein (4E-BP1), 70-kDa ribosomal protein S6 kinase (S6K1), and eukaryotic elongation factor 2 (eEF2) phosphorylations were assessed by Western blot. AICAR treatment increased (P < or = 0...
- Endogenous ADP-ribosylation of eukaryotic elongation factor 2 and its 32 kDa tryptic fragmentKivanc Ergen
Kocaeli University Medical Faculty, Department of Biophysics, 41380 Umuttepe, Izmit Kocaeli, Turkey
Biocell 31:61-6. 2007Eukaryotic elongation factor 2 (eEF-2) can undergo ADP-ribosylation in the absence of diphtheria toxin...
- Phosphorylation of eukaryotic elongation factor 2 can be regulated by phosphoinositide 3-kinase in the early stages of myoblast differentiationJoo Hong Woo
Department of Biological Science, College of Natural Sciences, Ajou University, Suwon 443 749, Korea
Mol Cells 21:294-301. 2006We have previously reported that phosphorylation of eukaryotic elongation factor 2 (eEF2) is related to the differentiation of chick embryonic muscle cells in culture...
- Differential expression of elongation factor-2, alpha4 phosphoprotein and Cdc5-like protein in prolactin-dependent/independent rat lymphoid cellsC K Too
Department of Biochemistry, Dalhousie University, Halifax, NS, Canada
Mol Cell Endocrinol 131:221-32. 1997..12 as probe, three unique genes were isolated and identified as elongation factor 2 (EF-2), alpha4 phosphoprotein and a Cdc5-like protein...
- Does phosphorylation of eukaryotic elongation factor eEF2 regulate protein synthesis in ischemic preconditioning?L Garcia
Hospital Ramon y Cajal, Servicio de Bioquimica, Madrid, Spain
J Neurosci Res 77:292-8. 2004..Res. 28:1237-1243). To address potential regulation of the elongation step by changes in eukaryotic elongation factor 2 (eEF2) phosphorylation with and without acquired ischemic tolerance (IT), Wistar rats were preconditioned ..
- Regulation of translation elongation and phosphorylation of eEF2 in rat pancreatic aciniMaria Dolors Sans
Department of Molecular and Integrative Physiology, The University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 0622, USA
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 319:144-51. 2004..At the same time these secretagogues reduced elongation factor 2 (eEF2) phosphorylation, the main factor known to regulate elongation, and increased the phosphorylation of ..
- Cytoplasmic complex of p53 and eEF2Xia Yin
Department of Pathology, New York University School of Medicine, New York, New York, USA
J Cell Physiol 196:474-82. 2003..8S rRNA, and the effect of p53 on sensitivity to the translocation inhibitor, Cx, as well as the known molecular interactions of these components in the ribosome suggest involvement of p53 in elongation...
- ATP depletion increases phosphorylation of elongation factor eEF2 in adult cardiomyocytes independently of inhibition of mTOR signallingLaura E McLeod
Division of Molecular Physiology, Faculty of Life Sciences, University of Dundee, DD1 5EH, Dundee, UK
FEBS Lett 531:448-52. 2002..Only at later times is an effect on mTOR signalling observed. These data suggest that energy depletion leads to inhibition of protein synthesis through phosphorylation of eEF2 independently of inhibition of mTOR signalling...
- In vitro interaction of eukaryotic elongation factor 2 with synthetic oligoribonucleotide that mimics GTPase domain of rat 28S ribosomal RNAWen Jun He
Institute of Biochemistry and Cell Biology, Shanghai Institutes for Biological Sciences, Chinese Academy of Sciences, 320 Yue Yang Road, 200031, Shanghai, China
Int J Biochem Cell Biol 34:263-8. 2002Eukaryotic elongation factor 2 (eEF2) catalyzed the translocation of peptidyl-tRNA from the ribosomal A site to the P site...