Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: C3
Description: complement C3
Alias: complement C3, complement component 3
- A role for immune complexes in enhanced respiratory syncytial virus diseaseFernando P Polack
Department of Pediatrics, School of Medicine, Bloomberg School of Public Health at Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
J Exp Med 196:859-65. 2002..Here, we demonstrate that enhanced RSV disease is mediated by immune complexes and abrogated in complement component C3 and B cell-deficient mice but not in controls...
- Variations in the C3, C3a receptor, and C5 genes affect susceptibility to bronchial asthmaKoichi Hasegawa
Laboratory for Genetics of Allergic Diseases, SNP Research Center, The Institute of Physical and Chemical Research RIKEN, Yokohama, Japan
Hum Genet 115:295-301. 2004..Recent studies have provided evidence that C3, C3a receptor, and C5 are linked to airway hyperresponsiveness...
- Variants in the gene encoding C3 are associated with asthma and related phenotypes among African Caribbean familiesK C Barnes
Division of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, Department of Medicine, Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, USA
Genes Immun 7:27-35. 2006Proinflammatory and immunoregulatory products from C3 play a major role in phagocytosis, respiratory burst, and airways inflammation...
- Association of c3 gene polymorphisms with neovascular age-related macular degeneration in a chinese populationXue Ting Pei
The People Eye Center, Peking University People s Hospital, Beijing, China
Curr Eye Res 34:615-22. 2009The purpose of this study was to determine whether the genetic polymorphisms of complement factor 3 (C3) are associated with neovascular age-related macular degeneration (AMD) in the Chinese population.
- Analysis of complement expression in light-induced retinal degeneration: synthesis and deposition of C3 by microglia/macrophages is associated with focal photoreceptor degenerationMatt Rutar
Research School of Biology, The Australian National University, Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 52:5347-58. 2011..To investigate the expression and localization of complement system mRNA and protein in a light-induced model of progressive retinal degeneration...
- [Changes of the complement system in myelodysplastic syndromes]R Villaescusa Blanco
Instituto de Hematologia e Inmunologia, Ciudad de La Habana, Cuba
Sangre (Barc) 43:210-2. 1998..To search complement system activity and detection of circulating immune complexes in a group of patients with myelodysplastic syndromes (MDS) classified as with relatively favourable and unfavourable prognosis...
- Inhibition of mannose-binding lectin reduces postischemic myocardial reperfusion injuryJ E Jordan
Center for Experimental Therapeutics and Reperfusion Injury, Department of Anesthesiology, Perioperative and Pain Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Circulation 104:1413-8. 2001..Although complement is widely accepted as participating in the pathophysiology of ischemia-reperfusion injury, the specific role of the lectin pathway has not been addressed...
- Suppression of complement regulatory proteins (CRPs) exacerbates experimental autoimmune anterior uveitis (EAAU)Purushottam Jha
Department of Ophthalmology, Jones Eye Institute, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Little Rock, 72205, USA
J Immunol 176:7221-31. 2006..Increased complement activation as determined by increased deposition of C3, C3 activation fragments, and membrane attack complex was observed in the eyes of Lewis rats when the function and/..
- Spontaneous hemolytic uremic syndrome triggered by complement factor H lacking surface recognition domainsMatthew C Pickering
Molecular Genetics and Rheumatology Section, Faculty of Medicine, Imperial College, London W12 0NN, England, UK
J Exp Med 204:1249-56. 2007..an abundant serum glycoprotein that regulates the alternative pathway of complement-preventing uncontrolled plasma C3 activation and nonspecific damage to host tissues...
- Development of Sjogren's syndrome in nonobese diabetic-derived autoimmune-prone C57BL/6.NOD-Aec1Aec2 mice is dependent on complement component-3Cuong Q Nguyen
Department of Oral Biology, College of Dentistry, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32610, USA
J Immunol 179:2318-29. 2007..In the present study, we examined the role of complement component-3 (C3) using a newly constructed C3-gene knockout mouse, C57BL/6.NOD-Aec1Aec2.C3(-/-)...
- The complement anaphylatoxin C5a induces apoptosis in adrenomedullary cells during experimental sepsisMichael A Flierl
Department of Pathology, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States of America
PLoS ONE 3:e2560. 2008..Since blockade of both C5a receptors virtually abolished adrenomedullary apoptosis in vivo, C5aR and C5L2 become promising targets with implications on future complement-blocking strategies in the clinical setting of sepsis...
- Complement deposition and microglial activation in the outer retina in light-induced retinopathy: inhibition by a 5-HT1A agonistRobert J Collier
Alcon Research, Ltd, Fort Worth, Texas 76134 2099, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 52:8108-16. 2011..This study evaluated retinal microglia, T-lymphocytes, and complement deposition in a light-induced retinopathy model. The effect of a serotonin (5-hydroxytryptamine, 5-HT(1A)) agonist on these processes was investigated...
- Essential role of factor B of the alternative complement pathway in complement activation and opsonophagocytosis during acute pneumococcal otitis media in miceQian Li
Department of Otolaryngology, College of Medicine and Public Health, The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio 43210, USA
Infect Immun 79:2578-85. 2011..Using mice deficient in complement C1qa, factor B, and factor B/C2, we found that complement C3 activation and opsonophagocytosis of S...
- Proteomic analysis of rat plasma following transient focal cerebral ischemiaRuoli Chen
National Institute for Biological Standards and Control, Health Protection Agency, Blanche Lane, South Mimms, Potters Bar, Hertfordshire, UK
Biomark Med 5:837-46. 2011..This study aimed to identify plasma protein changes in a rat model of ischemic stroke using a proteomic approach...
- A murine model for the study of mycotic mastitisF A Guhad
Department of Pathology and Infectious Diseases, Royal Veterinary College, University of London, UK
J Comp Pathol 113:315-25. 1995....
- Up-regulation of endothelial cell adhesion molecules characterizes disease activity in systemic lupus erythematosus. The Shwartzman phenomenon revisitedH M Belmont
Department of Medicine, New York University Medical Center, New York
Arthritis Rheum 37:376-83. 1994..To test the hypothesis that during exacerbations of systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE), endothelial cells are activated to increase their expression of adhesion molecules...
- C5aR and C3aR antagonists each inhibit diet-induced obesity, metabolic dysfunction, and adipocyte and macrophage signalingJunxian Lim
Institute for Molecular Bioscience, The University of Queensland, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
FASEB J 27:822-31. 2013....
- Role of complement 3a in the growth of mesangial cells from stroke-prone spontaneously hypertensive ratsKazuya Ikeda
Division of Nephrology, Hypertension and Endocrinology, Department of Medicine, Nihon University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
Clin Exp Hypertens 36:58-63. 2014..a synthetic phenotype and angiotensin II (Ang II) production associated with increased production of complement (C3). We hypothesized that C3 is involved in the growth of mesangial cells (MCs) from hypertensive rats...
- CD36-mediated hematoma absorption following intracerebral hemorrhage: negative regulation by TLR4 signalingHuang Fang
Department of Neurology, Xinqiao Hospital, Third Military Medical University, Chongqing 400037, China
J Immunol 192:5984-92. 2014..TLR4 inhibition could promote hematoma absorption and significantly improve neurologic deficits following ICH. ..
- A single localized dose of enzyme-responsive hydrogel improves long-term survival of a vascularized composite allograftThusitha Gajanayake
Department of Plastic, Reconstructive and Hand Surgery, Bern University Hospital, Inselspital, CH 3010 Bern, Switzerland Department of Clinical Research, University of Bern, CH 3010 Bern, Switzerland
Sci Transl Med 6:249ra110. 2014..Histopathological evaluation, including anti-graft antibodies and complement C3, revealed significantly reduced immune responses in the tacrolimus-hydrogel group compared with tacrolimus ..
- Renal C3 complement component: feed forward to diabetic kidney diseaseKatherine J Kelly
Department of Medicine, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, Ind, USA
Am J Nephrol 41:48-56. 2015..Diabetic nephropathy is the main cause of end-stage renal disease and has reached epidemic proportions...
- Cardiospecific CD36 suppression by lentivirus-mediated RNA interference prevents cardiac hypertrophy and systolic dysfunction in high-fat-diet induced obese miceYijie Zhang
Department of Cardiology, Wuhan University, Renmin Hospital, 238 Jiefang Road, Wuhan, 430060, Peoples Republic of China
Cardiovasc Diabetol 14:69. 2015..We hypothesized that cardiospecific suppression of CD36, the predominant membrane FA transporter, would protect against obesity-related cardiomyopathy...
- Activation of complement C3, C5, and C9 genes in tumors treated by photodynamic therapyBrandon Stott
British Columbia Cancer Agency, Vancouver, BC, Canada
Cancer Immunol Immunother 56:649-58. 2007..The expression of genes encoding complement proteins C3, C5, and C9 was studied following tumor PDT mediated by photosensitizer Photofrin using mouse Lewis lung carcinoma (..
- A common complement C3 variant is associated with protection against wet age-related macular degeneration in a Japanese populationSuiho Yanagisawa
Department of Surgery, Division of Ophthalmology, Kobe University Graduate School of Medicine, Kobe, Japan
PLoS ONE 6:e28847. 2011Genetic variants in the complement component 3 gene (C3) have been shown to be associated with age-related macular degeneration (AMD) in Caucasian populations of European descent...
- CD36 deficiency rescues lipotoxic cardiomyopathyJohn Yang
Center for Cardiovascular Research, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Circ Res 100:1208-17. 2007....
- Intravenous immunoglobulin (IVIG) attenuates antibody binding in acute haemorrhagic immunopneumonitis in a rat model of complement-dependent lung injuryM Dantas
Department of Clinical Medicine, School of Medicine of Ribeirao Preto, University of Sao Paulo, Ribeirao Preto, SP, Brazil
Clin Exp Immunol 121:139-45. 2000..Pulmonary damage was evaluated by light microscopy; C3 deposits and the binding of immunoglobulins to the alveolar septa were assayed by immunofluorescence...
- Structure at 1.44 A resolution of an N-terminally truncated form of the rat serum complement C3d fragmentG Zanotti
Department of Organic Chemistry and Biopolymer Research Center, University of Padova, Italy
Biochim Biophys Acta 1478:232-8. 2000Complement component C3 plays a key role in the complement-mediated immune defence, and occupies a central position within the complement cascade system...
- Phosphorylation of ATPase subunits of the 26S proteasomeG G Mason
Department of Biochemistry, School of Medical Sciences, University of Bristol, UK
FEBS Lett 430:269-74. 1998..Some differences were observed in the 2D-PAGE pattern of proteasomes immunoprecipitated from cultured cells compared to purified rat liver 26S proteasomes suggesting possible differences in subunit compositions of 26S proteasomes...
- C-reactive protein and complement components but not other acute-phase reactants discriminate between clinical subsets and organ damage in systemic lupus erythematosusLuis M Amezcua-Guerra
Department of Immunology and Microbiology, Instituto Nacional de Cardiologia Ignacio Chavez, Mexico City, Mexico
Clin Lab 57:607-13. 2011..Nonetheless, several acute-phase proteins may remain normal or are decreased. We explore the association of diverse biomarkers with selected clinical features, disease activity, and organ damage in SLE...
- Overexpression of innate immune response genes in a model of recessive polycystic kidney diseaseM Mrug
Division of Genetic and Translational Medicine, Department of Medicine, The University of Alabama at Birmingham, 720 20th Street South, Birmingham, AL 35294, USA
Kidney Int 73:63-76. 2008..expression of macrophage activators was dominated by the complement system factors including the central complement component 3. Additional studies confirmed increased complement component 3 protein levels in both cystic and non-..
- Vascular C3 deposits on renal biopsy in pediatric patients with hematuriaR D Sheth
Department of Pediatrics, Texas Children s Hospital and Baylor College of Medicine, Houston 77030 2399, USA
Pediatr Nephrol 14:797-801. 2000Isolated deposition of the third component of complement (C3) in the renal arterioles has been noted on biopsy specimens in patients with hematuria...
- Minocycline effects on the cerebrospinal fluid proteome of experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis ratsMarcel P Stoop
Department of Neurology, Erasmus University Medical Center, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
J Proteome Res 11:4315-25. 2012..Two of these proteins, complement C3 and carboxypeptidase B2, were validated by quantitative LC-MS/MS in the SRM mode...
- 670-nm light treatment reduces complement propagation following retinal degenerationMatt Rutar
The John Curtin School of Medical Research, College of Medicine, Biology and Environment, The Australian National University, Building 131, Garran Rd, Canberra ACT 2601, Australia
J Neuroinflammation 9:257. 2012..Complement activation is associated with the pathogenesis of age-related macular degeneration (AMD). We aimed to investigate whether 670-nm light treatment reduces the propagation of complement in a light-induced model of atrophic AMD...
- Gene array analysis of a rat model of liver transplant tolerance identifies increased complement C3 and the STAT-1/IRF-1 pathway during tolerance inductionShaun P Cordoba
AW Morrow Liver Immunobiology Laboratory, Centenary Institute, UNSW Sydney, Australia
Liver Transpl 12:636-43. 2006..More immune genes were increased in TOL vs. REJ on day 1, including STAT-1, IRF-1 and complement C3. Differential expression of selected genes was confirmed by quantitative RT-PCR...
- Serum complement C3 predicts renal arteriolosclerosis in non-diabetic chronic kidney diseaseChiari Kojima
Department of Internal Medicine IV, Tokyo Women s Medical University, Tokyo, Japan
J Atheroscler Thromb 19:854-61. 2012b>Complement C3 (C3) is one of the major mediators of inflammation. Serum C3 has been shown to be correlated with the presence of atherosclerosis...
- Intraglomerular synthesis of complement C3 and its activation products in IgA nephropathyK Abe
Second Department of Internal Medicine, Nagasaki University School of Medicine, 1 7 1, Sakamoto, Nagasaki 852 5201, Japan
Nephron 87:231-9. 2001Complement activation is thought to be pathologically important in IgA nephropathy (IgAN). Although C3 deposition in the mesangium is found in IgAN, the origin of C3 is not clear...
- Blast-induced moderate neurotrauma (BINT) elicits early complement activation and tumor necrosis factor α (TNFα) release in a rat brainJurandir J Dalle Lucca
Immunomodulation of Trauma Program, US Army Institute of Surgical Research, 3650 Chambers Pass, BHT2 Building 3610, Fort Sam Houston, TX 78234, USA
J Neurol Sci 318:146-54. 2012..Moderate blast triggers moderate brain injuries, elevated levels of local brain C3/C5b-9 and systemic C5b-9, increased leukocyte infiltration, unregulated tumor necrosis factor alpha (TNFα), and ..
- Profiling and identification of cerebrospinal fluid proteins in a rat EAE model of multiple sclerosisTherese Rosenling
Department of Analytical Biochemistry, Centre for Pharmacy, University of Groningen, Groningen, The Netherlands
J Proteome Res 11:2048-60. 2012..Lysozyme C1, fetuin B, T-kininogen, serum paraoxonase/arylesterase 1, glutathione peroxidase 3, complement C3, and afamin are among the proteins significantly elevated in this rat EAE model...
- Cellular and humoral immune responses in the early stages of diabetic nephropathy in NOD miceXiaoyan Xiao
Section of Endocrinology, Department of Internal Medicine, Yale School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06520, USA
J Autoimmun 32:85-93. 2009..We also found that IgG deposits in the glomeruli of diabetic NOD mice were accompanied by the presence of complement C3. Moreover, the serum from diabetic mice contained autoantibodies directed towards components of the glomeruli ..
- A complex role for complement in allergic asthmaXun Zhang
Division of Molecular Immunology, Cincinnati Children s Hospital Medical Center and University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, OH 45229, USA
Expert Rev Clin Immunol 6:269-77. 2010..Different models of experimental allergic asthma suggest that the small complement fragments of C3 and C5, the anaphylatoxins C3a and C5a, not only promote proallergic effector functions during the allergic effector ..
- Alterations in gene expression of complement components in chronic rhinosinusitisRodney J Schlosser
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, South Carolina, USA
Am J Rhinol Allergy 24:21-5. 2010..rhinosinusitis (AFRS), CRS without NPs (CRS-NPs), and controls were harvested and gene and protein expression of C3, factor B (fB), C5, and C7 complement proteins were analyzed using quantitative polymerase chain reaction and ..
- A protective role for complement C3 protein during pandemic 2009 H1N1 and H5N1 influenza A virus infectionKevin B O'Brien
Department of Medical Microbiology and Immunology, University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin, United States of America
PLoS ONE 6:e17377. 2011..b>C3, a member of the complement system of serum proteins, is a major component of the innate immune and inflammatory ..
- Plasma proteomic analysis may identify new markers for radiation-induced lung toxicity in patients with non-small-cell lung cancerXu Wei Cai
Department of Radiation Oncology, University of Michigan Medical Center, Ann Arbor, MI 48108, USA
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 77:867-76. 2010..To study whether radiation induces differential changes in plasma proteomics in patients with and without radiation-induced lung toxicity (RILT) of Grade >/=2 (RILT2)...
- Identification of four new quantitative trait loci regulating arthritis severity and one new quantitative trait locus regulating autoantibody production in rats with collagen-induced arthritisM M Griffiths
Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center, and University of Utah, Salt Lake City, USA
Arthritis Rheum 43:1278-89. 2000..Collagen-induced arthritis (CIA) is a polygenic model of experimentally induced autoimmunity and chronic joint inflammation. This study maps genetic loci that regulate CIA susceptibility in DA/Bkl (DA) and BN/SsNHsd (BN) rats...
- Regulation of murine splenic B cell CR3 expression by complement component 3Amanda C Jacobson
Division of Cell Biology and Immunology, Department of Pathology, University of Utah School of Medicine, Salt Lake City, UT 84132, USA
J Immunol 183:3963-70. 2009Complement component C3 has established roles in both innate and adaptive immune responses. C3 cleavage products function in B cell activation through the complement receptors CD21/35...
- Defective solubilization of immune complexes and activation of the complement system in patients with pulmonary tuberculosisP Senbagavalli
Department of Clinical Pathology, Tuberculosis Research Centre, Chetput, Chennai 600031, India
J Clin Immunol 29:674-80. 2009....
- Complement factors C3a and C5a have distinct hemodynamic effects in the ratLavinia M Proctor
School of Biomedical Sciences, The University of Queensland, Brisbane 4072, Australia
Int Immunopharmacol 9:800-6. 2009..In contrast to C3a, C5a infusion resulted in hypotension, and rapid and transient neutropenia. These results demonstrate that C3a and C5a mediate distinct effects on blood pressure and circulating polymorphonuclear leukocytes in the rat...
- The complement factor C5a contributes to pathology in a rat model of amyotrophic lateral sclerosisTrent M Woodruff
School of Biomedical Sciences, University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia
J Immunol 181:8727-34. 2008..With end-stage disease, SOD1(G93A) rats displayed marked deposition of C3/C3b, and a significant up-regulation of the C5aR in the lumbar spinal cord...
- Complement components (C3, C4) as inflammatory markers in asthmaMohammed Abdel Fattah
Department of Pediatrics, Faculty of Medicine, Cairo University, Cairo, Egypt
Indian J Pediatr 77:771-3. 2010To assess the serum levels of complement factors C3 and C4 in Egyptian asthmatic children.
- Complement component C3 functions as an embryotrophic factor in early postimplantation rat embryosMakoto Usami
Division of Pharmacology, National Institute of Health Sciences, Tokyo, Japan
Int J Dev Biol 54:1277-85. 2010..for early postimplantation rat embryos, partially purified from rat serum, was identified as complement component C3 (C3), the central component of the complement system, by sequence analysis of its N-terminal...
- Complement-mediated regulation of the IL-17A axis is a central genetic determinant of the severity of experimental allergic asthmaStephane Lajoie
Division of Immunobiology, Cincinnati Children s Hospital Medical Center, Department of Pediatrics, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Nat Immunol 11:928-35. 2010..The opposing effects of C3a and C5a were mediated through their reciprocal regulation of IL-23 production. These data demonstrate a critical role for complement-mediated regulation of the IL-23-T(H)17 axis in severe asthma...
- Perivascular adipose tissue-derived complement 3 is required for adventitial fibroblast functions and adventitial remodeling in deoxycorticosterone acetate-salt hypertensive ratsCheng Chao Ruan
Laboratory of Vascular Biology and Key Laboratory of Stem Cell Biology, Institute of Health Sciences, Shanghai Institutes for Biological Sciences, Chinese Academy of Sciences and Shanghai Jiao Tong University School of Medicine, Shanghai, China
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 30:2568-74. 2010..To examine the role of perivascular adipose tissue (PVAT)-derived factors in the regulation of adventitial fibroblast (AF) function in vitro and in vivo...
- Complement 3 activates the KLF5 gene in rat vascular smooth muscle cellsEn Hui Yao
Division of Nephrology, Hypertension and Endocrinology, Department of Medicine, Nihon University School of Medicine, Ooyaguchi kami 30 1, Itabashi ku, Tokyo 173 8610, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 367:468-73. 2008..smooth muscle cells (VSMCs) change to the synthetic phenotype and show increased expression of complement 3 (C3) and that C3 plays a role in the change to the synthetic phenotype...
- Complement inhibition alleviates paraquat-induced acute lung injuryShihui Sun
State Key Laboratory of Pathogen and Biosecurity, Beijing Institute of Microbiology and Epidemiology, Beijing 100071, China
Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 45:834-42. 2011..Within 24 hours of PQ-induced ALI, there was significantly increased expression of the complement proteins, C1q and C3, in the lung. Expression of the anaphylatoxin receptors, C3aR and C5aR, was also increased...
- Treatment with mycophenolate mofetil attenuates the development of Heymann nephritisM E Luca
Department of Pathology, Leiden University Medical Center, Leiden, The Netherlands
Exp Nephrol 8:77-83. 2000..Glomerular complement component C3, however, was significantly lower in the mycophenolate mofetil treated rats...
- Cloning and characterization of rat C3a receptor: differential expression of rat C3a and C5a receptors by LPS stimulationY Fukuoka
Department of Immunology, Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, California 92037, USA
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 242:663-8. 1998..These results suggest that expression of C3aR and C5aR is independently regulated in rat cells and tissues...
- Complement component 3 (C 3) and diabetes mellitusS Krantz
Institute of Biochemistry, Ernst Moritz Arndt University Greifswald, GDR
Exp Clin Endocrinol 92:287-96. 1988Complement factor 3 (C3) phenotype and allele frequencies were defined in 312 patients with Type 1 diabetes (IDDM), 256 patients with Type 2 diabetes mellitus (NIDDM), 114 apparently healthy first-degree relatives of Type 1 diabetics, in ..
- Phospholipase A in acute lung injury after trauma and sepsis: its relation to the inflammatory mediators PMN-elastase, C3a, and neopterinW Kellermann
Institut für Anaesthesiologie, Universitat Munchen
Klin Wochenschr 67:190-5. 1989..The relation between PLA and neopterin shown in the study is consistent with the possibility of macrophages being a source of the plasma PLA, as reported in experimental studies...
- Nucleotide and deduced amino acid sequence of rat complement C3Y Misumi
Department of Biochemistry, Fukuoka University School of Medicine, Japan
Nucleic Acids Res 18:2178. 1990
- Molecular basis of hereditary C3 deficiencyM Botto
Department of Medicine, Royal Postgraduate Medical School, London, United Kingdom
J Clin Invest 86:1158-63. 1990Hereditary deficiency of complement component C3 in a 10-yr-old boy was studied. C3 could not be detected by RIA of serum from the patient...
- Purification, characterization, and amino acid sequence of rat anaphylatoxin (C3a)J W Jacobs
Biochemistry 17:5031-8. 1978..Antisera raised to the purified rat peptide do not cross-react immunologically by Ouchterlony analysis with either human or porcine C3a...
- Complement activation contributes to hypoxic-ischemic brain injury in neonatal ratsRita M Cowell
Department of Neurology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109, USA
J Neurosci 23:9459-68. 2003..With immunofluorescence assays and confocal microscopy, both C3 and C9 were localized to injured neurons 16 and 24 hr post-HI...
- Complement components (C3, C4) in childhood asthmaF I E Najam
Department of Laboratory Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Al Arab Medical University, Benghazi, Libya
Indian J Pediatr 72:745-9. 2005To assess the involvement of complements (C3, C4) in the pathophysiology of bronchial asthma.
- Dynamics of intrapulmonary bacterial growth in a murine model of repeated microaspirationItzhak Ben-David
Department of Emergency Medicine, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 33:476-82. 2005..When parallel experiments were performed in complement C3-deficient mice, no suppression of the second inoculum was noted, suggesting that early upregulation of ..
- Innate immune defense against pneumococcal pneumonia requires pulmonary complement component C3Alison R Kerr
Division of Infection and Immunity, IBLS, Joseph Black Building, University of Glasgow, Glasgow G12 8QQ, United Kingdom
Infect Immun 73:4245-52. 2005..By intranasally infecting transgenic mice unable to express complement C3, we investigated the role of complement in pulmonary defenses against S. pneumoniae...
- Thrombus formation induced by antibodies to beta2-glycoprotein I is complement dependent and requires a priming factorFabio Fischetti
Department of Physiology and Pathology, University of Trieste, Trieste, Italy
Blood 106:2340-6. 2005..Anti-beta2-glycoprotein I-depleted aPL IgG failed to induce PLAs and TOs. C3 and C9 colocalized with aPL IgG on the mesenteric vessels...
- Regulation of complement C3 expression by the bile acid receptor FXRJiali Li
Department of Biology, X Ceptor Therapeutics Inc, San Diego, California 92121, USA
J Biol Chem 280:7427-34. 2005..The analysis of the human complement C3 gene reveals the presence of functional FXR response elements in the proximal promoter of C3...
- Rat uterine complement C3 expression as a model for progesterone receptor modulators: characterization of the new progestin trimegestoneS G Lundeen
Endocrinology Division, Women s Health Research Institute, Wyeth Ayerst Research, 145 King of Prussia Road, Radnor, PA 19087 USA
J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol 78:137-43. 2001..Here we report the development and characterization of the rat uterine complement component C3 mRNA as a molecular target for the evaluation of the antiestrogenic activity of progestins in the uterus...
- Rat membrane cofactor protein (MCP; CD46) is expressed only in the acrosome of developing and mature spermatozoa and mediates binding to immobilized activated C3Masashi Mizuno
Complement Biology Group, Department of Medical Biochemistry and Immunology, University of Wales College of Medicine, Cardiff CF14 4XN, United Kingdom
Biol Reprod 71:1374-83. 2004..Acrosome-reacted but not unreacted spermatozoa bound methylamine-activated C3 immobilized on plastic...
- Complement activation following optic nerve crush in the adult ratMarcus Ohlsson
Department of Clinical Neuroscience, Section of Neurosurgery, Karolinska Institutet and Hospital, 171 76 Stockholm, Sweden
J Neurotrauma 20:895-904. 2003..b>Complement C3-mRNA was upregulated 2-28 days post lesion, indicating local synthesis of complement in the optic nerve...
- Intravenous immunoglobulin protects against experimental thrombotic microangiopathyJ A Jefferson
Division of Nephrology, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington, USA
Kidney Int 60:1018-25. 2001..utilized in several forms of vasculitis and has many potential mechanisms of action, including the inhibition of C3 activation...
- Increase in complement component C3 is an early response to experimental magnesium deficiency in ratsF I Bussière
Centre de Recherches en Nutrition Humaine d Auvergne, Unite Maladies Metaboliques et Micronutriments, INRA, Theix, 63122 St Genes Champanelle, France
Life Sci 73:499-507. 2003..of Mg-deficiency on complement system by measuring total C3 concentration, mRNA abundance for rat pre-pro complement C3 in liver by RT-PCR, complement haemolytic activity and C3 activation by Western Blot was studied...
- Responsiveness of endometrial genes Connexin26, Connexin43, C3 and clusterin to primary estrogen, selective estrogen receptor modulators, phyto- and xenoestrogensS Heikaus
Institute of Anatomy, University Hospital Essen, D 45122 Essen, Germany
J Mol Endocrinol 29:239-49. 2002..The gap junction connexin (Cx) genes Cx26 and Cx43, the plasma glycoprotein clusterin gene and the complement C3 gene are highly regulated by estrogen in rat endometrium...
- Cutting edge: the absence of C3 demonstrates a role for complement in Th2 effector functions in a murine model of pulmonary allergyS M Drouin
Institute of Molecular Medicine for the Prevention of Human Diseases, Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Texas, Houston, TX 77030, USA
J Immunol 167:4141-5. 2001..Historically, complement was not thought to contribute to the pathogenesis of asthma. However, using C3-deficient mice in an allergen-induced model of pulmonary allergy, we demonstrate that complement may impact key ..
- Critical role of complement and viral evasion of complement in acute, persistent, and latent gamma-herpesvirus infectionSharookh B Kapadia
Department of Immunology and Pathology, Department of Molecular Microbiology, Washington University School of Medicine, Box 8118, 660 South Euclid Avenue, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Immunity 17:143-55. 2002..We evaluated the role of complement factor C3 (C3) and the murine gamma-herpesvirus 68 (gammaHV68) RCA protein in viral pathogenesis...
- Down-regulation of complement receptor 3 and major histocompatibility complex I and II antigen-like immunoreactivity accompanies ramification in isolated rat microgliaKayvon Salimi
Laboratory of Psychiatry, Clinic of Psychiatry, University Hospital Innsbruck, Anichstr 35, Austria
Brain Res 946:283-9. 2002..The results attest to the special efficacy of this culture method for the investigation of the early microglial reaction by use of highly sensitive immunophenotypic criteria...
- Genetic-biochemical criteria for individual sensitivity in development of occupational bronchopulmonary diseasesN F Izmerov
Institute of Occupational Health, Russian Academy of Medical Sciences, Moscow, Russia
Cent Eur J Public Health 10:35-41. 2002..pathology (BPP) and the immune status of the body: proteinase inhibitor (Pi), third component of the complement (C3), transferrin (Tf), group-specific component of blood serum (Gc), haptoglobin (Hp), erythrocytic glyoxalase (Glo) ..
- Involvement of dipeptidyl peptidase IV in immune complex-mediated glomerulonephritisToshihiro Shinosaki
Shionogi Discovery Research Laboratories, Shionogi and Company, Ltd, Toyonaka City, Osaka, Japan
Lab Invest 82:505-13. 2002..Treatment with F16 inhibited glomerular deposition of complement C3 and complement C4 after the binding of E30 to the mesangial cell surface...
- Genetic dissection of a rat model for rheumatoid arthritis: significant gender influences on autosomal modifier lociT Furuya
Inflammatory Joint Diseases Section, Arthritis and Rheumatism Branch, National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases, National Institutes of Health, 9000 Rockville Pike, Bethesda, MD 20892 1820, USA
Hum Mol Genet 9:2241-50. 2000..Our data support the view that multiple autoimmune diseases may share genetic risk factors, and suggest that many of these loci are gender influenced...
- Prostaglandin I2 plays a key role in zymosan-induced mouse pleurisyKoh Ichi Yuhki
Department of Pharmacology, Asahikawa Medical College, 2 1 1 1 Midorigaoka Higashi, Asahikawa 078 8510, Japan
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 325:601-9. 2008..cavity after zymosan injection was confirmed, and preinjection of cobra venom factor (CVF), to deplete blood complement C3, was significantly suppressed after zymosan-induced exudate formation in WT mice...
- Cathepsin B and complement C3 are major comigrants in the estrogen-induced peroxidase fraction of rat uterine fluidK V Balan
Department of Biology, Howard University, Washington, DC, USA
J Submicrosc Cytol Pathol 33:221-30. 2001..bands isolated from SDS-PAGE gels from the size-exclusion purified peroxidase fraction showed the presence of complement C3 along with novel previously uncharacterized proteins...
- A quantitative proteomic analysis of soluble bronchoalveolar fluid proteins from patients with sarcoidosis and chronic beryllium diseaseErnesto Silva
Department of Medicine, Division of Respiratory Medicine, Karolinska University Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
Sarcoidosis Vasc Diffuse Lung Dis 24:24-32. 2007..These diseases have several similarities from their clinical aspects. The aim of this study was to compare the protein profile at the site of active inflammation i.e. the lungs of patients with sarcoidosis and CBD...
- Complement activation contributes to leukocyte recruitment and neuropathic pain following peripheral nerve injury in ratsMan Li
School of Medical Sciences, University of New South Wales, Sydney, NSW 2052, Australia
Eur J Neurosci 26:3486-500. 2007..We found that C3 deposition significantly increased from 6 h to 7 days in the injured nerve and was associated with the extent of ..
- C-reactive protein and natural IgM antibodies are activators of complement in a rat model of intestinal ischemia and reperfusionNiubel Diaz Padilla
Department of Immunopathology, Sanquin Research, Plesmalaan 125, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Surgery 142:722-33. 2007..The effect of C1-esterase inhibitor (C1-Inh) on this complement activation along with other inflammatory mediators was also studied...
- Autoantibodies in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseCarol A Feghali-Bostwick
Division of Pulmonary, Allergy, and Critical Care, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 177:156-63. 2008..Adaptive immune responses are present in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), and it has been postulated that these processes could be autoreactive...
- Cirrhosis-induced defects in innate pulmonary defenses against Streptococcus pneumoniaeKatie L Propst-Graham
Department of Medical Microbiology and Immunology, Creighton University School of Medicine, Omaha, Nebraska, USA
BMC Microbiol 7:94. 2007....
- Association study of the C3 gene with adult and childhood asthmaHiroki Inoue
Department of Public Health, Graduate School of Medicine, Chiba University, 1 8 1 Inohana, Chiba, 260 8670, Japan
J Hum Genet 53:728-38. 2008..It has been shown that complement-C3-deficient mice have reduced inflammation of asthmatic airways...
- [MRNA expression of complement C3 and C4 in rat nasal mucosa with allergic rhinitis]Jun tian Lang
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Changzheng Hospital, Second Military Medical University, Shanghai 200003, China
Zhonghua Er Bi Yan Hou Tou Jing Wai Ke Za Zhi 41:928-31. 2006To investigate the level of mRNA expression of complement C3 and C4 in rat nasal mucosa and to reveal the relationship with the pathogenesis of allergic rhinitis (AR) .
- Expression and activation of complement protein and alveolar damage during Pneumocystis pneumoniaMark E Lasbury
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Indiana University School of Medicine, 1120 South Drive, Fesler Hall Rm 406, Indianapolis, Indiana 46202, USA
J Eukaryot Microbiol 53:S136-7. 2006
- Anti-ischemia/reperfusion of C1 inhibitor in myocardial cell injury via regulation of local myocardial C3 activityJinrong Fu
Department of Cardiology, Renmin Hospital, Wuhan University School of Medicine, Wuhan, Hubei, PR China
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 350:162-8. 2006b>C3 is common to all pathways of complement activation augmenting ischemia/reperfusion (I/R)-induced myocardial injury and cardiac dysfunction...
- Species difference in correlation between in vivo/in vitro liposome-complement interactionsT M Huong
Department of Pharmacokinetics and Pharmaceutics, Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, The University of Tokushima, Japan
Biol Pharm Bull 24:439-41. 2001..Third component of the complement (C3) fragments associated with hydrogenated egg phosphatidylcholine (HEPC)-based liposomes in vivo and complement-..
- Retinal synthesis and deposition of complement components induced by ocular hypertensionMarkus H Kuehn
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, University of Iowa, 200 Hawkins Drive, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
Exp Eye Res 83:620-8. 2006..Toward this goal the gene expression levels of complement components 1qb (C1qb) and 3 (C3) were determined in the retina by quantitative polymerase chain reaction in human eyes with elevated intraocular ..
- The metabolic syndrome in relation to complement component 3 and postprandial lipemia in patients from an outpatient lipid clinic and healthy volunteersAntonie J H H M van Oostrom
Department of Cardiology, St Antonius Hospital, Nieuwegein, The Netherlands
Atherosclerosis 190:167-73. 2007We investigated the relationship between complement component 3 (C3), fasting and postprandial lipemia and the metabolic syndrome (MetabS)...
- Inhibition of classical complement activation attenuates liver ischaemia and reperfusion injury in a rat modelB H M Heijnen
Department of Surgery, Surgical Laboratory, Academic Medical Centre, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Clin Exp Immunol 143:15-23. 2006..Immunohistochemical assessment indicated that activated C3, the membrane attack complex C5b9 and C-reactive protein (CRP) colocalized in hepatocytes within midzonal areas, ..
- Estrogen regulation of tissue-specific expression of complement C3S A Sundstrom
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Pennsylvania, School of Medicine, Philadelphia 19104
J Biol Chem 264:16941-7. 1989..This LE-1 cDNA was sequenced and shown to be homologous to complement component C3. The sequence was approximately 81 and 90% homologous to human and mouse C3, respectively...
- Complement inhibition in experimental autoimmune uveitisRUSSELL READ; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Genetic Studies of Immune Responsiveness to CockroachKathleen Barnes; Fiscal Year: 2007..We will also examine the interactive effect of current cockroach allergen exposure and susceptibility loci associated with asthma severity. ..
- AIRWAY DISEASE AND COCKROACH EXPOSURE IN PUBLIC HOUSINGKathleen Barnes; Fiscal Year: 2008..We hope that with the data to be generated, we will positively impact the health of urban US populations who are disproportionally suffering from asthma morbidity and mortality. ..
- Genome-Wide Association Studies of Asthma in Populations of African DescentKathleen Barnes; Fiscal Year: 2008..Findings from this study will provide a better understanding of the complex pathways related to risk of asthma and associated phenotypes. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..