Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Brn3a
Description: POU class 4 homeobox 1
Alias: Brn3a, brn-3A, POU domain, class 4, transcription factor 1, LOW QUALITY PROTEIN: POU domain, class 4, transcription factor 1, brain-3A, brain-specific homeobox/POU domain protein 3A
- The BRN-3A transcription factor protects sensory but not sympathetic neurons from programmed cell death/apoptosisE Ensor
Medical Molecular Biology Unit, Institute of Child Health, University College London, 30 Guilford Street, London WC1N 1EH, United Kingdom
J Biol Chem 276:5204-12. 2001....
- The closely related POU family transcription factors Brn-3a and Brn-3b are expressed in distinct cell types in the testisV Budhram-Mahadeo
Medical Molecular Biology Unit, Institute of Child Health, University College London, 30 Guilford Street, WC1N 1EH, London, UK
Int J Biochem Cell Biol 33:1027-39. 2001..Hence, as observed in neuronal cells, Brn-3a and Brn-3b may play distinct and important functional roles in the regulation of gene expression during germ cell development...
- Transcriptional regulation by p53Rachel Beckerman
Department of Biological Sciences, Columbia University, New York, New York 10027, USA
Cold Spring Harb Perspect Biol 2:a000935. 2010..How p53 is able to discriminate between these different loci is the subject of intense research. Here, we describe key aspects of the fundamentals of p53-mediated transcriptional regulation and target gene promoter selectivity...
- Inherited Photoreceptor Degeneration Causes the Death of Melanopsin-Positive Retinal Ganglion Cells and Increases Their Coexpression of Brn3aDiego García-Ayuso
Instituto Murciano de Investigación Biosanitaria Hospital Virgen de la Arrixaca IMIB Virgen de la Arrixaca and Departamento de Oftalmología, Facultad de Medicina, Universidad de Murcia, Murcia, Spain
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 56:4592-604. 2015..To study the population of intrinsically photosensitive retinal ganglion cells (melanopsin-expressing RGCs, m+RGCs) in P23H-1 rats, a rat model of inherited photoreceptor degeneration...
- A novel POU family transcription factor is closely related to Brn-3 but has a distinct expression pattern in neuronal cellsK A Lillycrop
Department of Biochemistry and Chemical Pathology, University College and Middlesex School of Medicine, London, UK
Nucleic Acids Res 20:5093-6. 1992..The significance of these distinct but overlapping expression patterns is discussed in terms of the possible role of these two factors in regulating neuronal gene expression...
- Expression of a large family of POU-domain regulatory genes in mammalian brain developmentX He
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla 92093 0613
Nature 340:35-41. 1989....
- Interaction of Brn3a and HIPK2 mediates transcriptional repression of sensory neuron survivalAmanda K Wiggins
Department of Pathology, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
J Cell Biol 167:257-67. 2004The Pit1-Oct1-Unc86 domain (POU domain) transcription factor Brn3a controls sensory neuron survival by regulating the expression of Trk receptors and members of the Bcl-2 family...
- Axotomy-induced early down-regulation of POU-IV class transcription factors Brn-3a and Brn-3b in retinal ganglion cellsJochen H Weishaupt
Department of Neurology, University of Gottingen, Gottingen, Germany
J Mol Neurosci 26:17-25. 2005....
- [Effect of rat prenatal lead exposure on the gene transcription level of POU-domain protein Brn-3a of offspring brain]Wei Chang
Department of Occupational and Environmental Health, School of Public Health, Tongji Medical College, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, MOE Key Lab of Environment and Health, Wuhan 430030, China
Wei Sheng Yan Jiu 36:660-3. 2007..To explore rat prenatal lead exposure on gene transcription level of Brn-3a mRNA in the neurons of central nervous system...
- [Effect of prenatal lead exposure on the gene transcription and protein expression level of POU-domain protein Brn-3a in different regions of offspring rat brain]Wei Chang
School of Medicine, Wuhan University of Science and Technology, Wuhan 430065, China
Wei Sheng Yan Jiu 37:385-8. 2008..To explore the effects of lead on the transcription factor Brn-3a expression level in the neurons of central nervous system...
- A simple technique for the prediction of interacting proteins reveals a direct Brn-3a-androgen receptor interactionDaniel C Berwick
Medical Molecular Biology Unit, University College London Institute of Child Health, London, UK
J Biol Chem 285:15286-95. 2010..7, leading to a synergistic increase in its expression. Thus, these data define AR as a direct Brn-3a interactor and verify a simple interacting protein prediction methodology that is likely to be useful for many other proteins...
- Brain derived neurotrophic factor maintains Brn3a expression in axotomized rat retinal ganglion cellsM C Sánchez-Migallón
Laboratorio de Oftalmología Experimental Facultad de Medicina Universidad de Murcia, Murcia, Spain
Exp Eye Res 92:260-7. 2011The transcription factor Brn3a has been reported to be a good marker for adult rat retinal ganglion cells in control and injured retinas...