Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Arg2
Description: arginase 2
Alias: arginase-2, mitochondrial, AII type II arginase, arginase II, arginase type II, kidney-type arginase, non-hepatic arginase, type II arginase
- Molecular cloning of cDNA for nonhepatic mitochondrial arginase (arginase II) and comparison of its induction with nitric oxide synthase in a murine macrophage-like cell lineT Gotoh
Department of Molecular Genetics, Kumamoto University School of Medicine, Japan
FEBS Lett 395:119-22. 1996..almost exclusively in the liver and catalyzes the last step of urea synthesis, whereas the nonhepatic type (arginase II) is expressed in extrahepatic tissues...
- Tissue-specific up-regulation of arginase I and II induced by p38 MAPK mediates endothelial dysfunction in type 1 diabetes mellitusJ Pernow
Division of Cardiology, Department of Medicine, Karolinska Institutet, Karolinska University Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
Br J Pharmacol 172:4684-98. 2015..Activated p38 MAPK has been reported to increase arginase II in various cardiovascular diseases...
- Pulmonary arterial hypertension in rats due to age-related arginase activation in intermittent hypoxiaAkina Nara
1 Department of Forensic Medicine, Graduate School of Medicine and
Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 53:184-92. 2015..IH also increased arginase I expression in the pulmonary artery endothelium and arginase II in the pulmonary artery adventitia...
- Arginase inhibition reduces interleukin-1β-stimulated vascular smooth muscle cell proliferation by increasing nitric oxide synthase-dependent nitric oxide productionJeongyeon Yoon
Department of Biology, College of Natural Sciences, Kangwon National University, Chuncheon, Republic of Korea
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 435:428-33. 2013..In conclusion, arginase inhibition augmented iNOS-dependent NO production that resulted in suppression of IL-1β-induced VSMCs proliferation in a cGMP-dependent manner...
- Glucocorticoid inhibition of interleukin-4 (IL-4) and interleukin-13 (IL-13) induced up-regulation of arginase in rat airway fibroblastsDirk Lindemann
Institut für Pharmakologie und Toxikologie der Universität Bonn, Reuterstrasse 2b, 53113 Bonn, Germany
Naunyn Schmiedebergs Arch Pharmacol 368:546-50. 2003..Using RT-PCR mRNA for arginase I was clearly detectable with 30 PCR cycles, whereas mRNA for arginase II was hardly detectable with 35 PCR cycles...
- Arginase-2 mediates diabetic renal injurySidney M Morris
Department of Microbiology and Molecular Genetics, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Diabetes 60:3015-22. 2011..To determine 1) whether renal arginase activity or expression is increased in diabetes and 2) whether arginase plays a role in development of diabetic nephropathy (DN)...
- Role of arginase in impairing relaxation of lung parenchyma of hyperoxia-exposed neonatal ratsNuzhat K M Ali
Department of Pediatrics, Rainbow Babies and Children s Hospital, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio 44106 6009, USA
Neonatology 101:106-15. 2012..We have previously demonstrated that neonatal exposure of rat pups to ≥95% O2 impairs airway relaxation due to disruption of nitric oxide (NO)-cyclic guanosine monophosphate (cGMP) signaling...
- Upregulation of arginase-II contributes to decreased age-related myocardial contractile reserveMehnaz Khan
Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine, Johns Hopkins University Medicine, Tower 711, 600 N Wolfe St, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
Eur J Appl Physiol 112:2933-41. 2012..4,014 ± 314 RFU/min/mg protein, p = 0.005). Arg-II upregulation in aging rat hearts contributes to age-related decreased contractile function...
- Arginine availability modulates arginine metabolism and TNFα production in peritoneal macrophages from Zucker Diabetic Fatty ratsCharlotte Breuillard
Laboratory of Nutrition Biology, EA 4466, Paris Descartes University, France
Clin Nutr 31:415-21. 2012....
- Immunohistochemical study of arginase 1 and 2 in various tissues of ratsSungyoung Choi
Laboratory of Veterinary Anatomy, College of Veterinary Medicine and Veterinary Medical Research Institute, Jeju National University, Republic of Korea
Acta Histochem 114:487-94. 2012..These findings indicate that the levels of arginase 1 and 2 varied among organs, suggesting that the arginase isoforms may play organ-specific roles in the urea cycle...
- Modulation of nitric oxide synthase by arginase and methylated arginines during the acute phase of experimental multiple sclerosisSrdjan Ljubisavljević
Clinic of Neurology, University Clinical Centre of Nis, Bul Dr Zorana Djindjica 48, 18000 Nis, Serbia
J Neurol Sci 318:106-11. 2012..The continued research of these findings may provide a new area in the treatment of multiple sclerosis acute phase...
- Involvement of arginase in regulating myometrial contractions during gestation in the ratMisako Hirata
Comprehensive Reproductive Medicine and Department of Biosystem Regulation, Institute of Biomaterials and Bioengineering, Graduate School, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, 2 3 10 Surugadai, Kanda, Chiyoda ku, Tokyo 101 0062, Japan
Mol Hum Reprod 12:513-8. 2006..However, the protein was clearly up-regulated at term gestation (22nd day), although arginase II protein was down-regulated during gestation, with the lowest value on the 14th day...
- Effect of chronic renal failure on arginase and argininosuccinate synthetase expressionHamid Moradi
Division of Nephrology and Hypertension, University of California, Irvine, CA 92868, USA
Am J Nephrol 26:310-8. 2006..L-arg is converted to urea by arginase I in the liver and arginase II in the kidney...
- Time course of vascular arginase expression and activity in spontaneously hypertensive ratsCeline Demougeot
Laboratoire de Physiologie, Pharmacologie, Nutrition Preventive Experimentale, Equipe Optimisation Métabolique et Cellulaire, 25030 Besancon, France
Life Sci 80:1128-34. 2007..Arginase activity as well as expression of arginase I, arginase II, endothelial and inducible NOS were determined in aortic tissue extracts...
- Downregulation of arginase II and renal apoptosis by inorganic mercury: overexpression of arginase II reduces its apoptosisHironori Kanda
University of Tsukuba, Tsukuba, Ibaraki, 305 8575, Japan
Arch Toxicol 82:67-73. 2008Inorganic mercury is a toxic metal that accumulates in the proximal tubules of the kidney, causing apoptosis. Arginase II is known to inhibit apoptosis, but its role in the renal apoptosis caused by inorganic mercury is poorly understood...
- Developmental changes in arginase expression and activity in the lungJaques Belik
Department of Pediatrics, Physiology and Experimental Medicine, The Hospital for Sick Children Research Institute, and University of Toronto, 555 University Ave, Toronto, Ontario, M5G 1X8 Canada
Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 294:L498-504. 2008..b>Arginase II content, as well as total arginase activity, was highest in fetal rat lung, bronchi, and pulmonary arterial ..
- Cocoa flavanols lower vascular arginase activity in human endothelial cells in vitro and in erythrocytes in vivoOliver Schnorr
Institute for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology I, Building 22 03, Heinrich Heine University Duesseldorf, Universitaetsstrasse 1, D 40225 Duesseldorf, Germany
Arch Biochem Biophys 476:211-5. 2008..Dietary intervention with flavanol-rich cocoa caused diminished arginase activity in rat kidney and, erythrocyte arginase activity was lowered in healthy humans following consumption of a high flavanol beverage in vivo...
- Treatment with the arginase inhibitor N(omega)-hydroxy-nor-L-arginine improves vascular function and lowers blood pressure in adult spontaneously hypertensive ratTeddy Bagnost
Laboratory of Physiology, Pharmacology, Experimental Preventive Nutrition, EA 3921, Cellular and Metabolic Optimization, Faculty of Medicine and Pharmacy, Besancon University Hospital, Besancon, France
J Hypertens 26:1110-8. 2008..The present study investigated the effects of in-vivo arginase inhibition on blood pressure and vascular function in adult spontaneously hypertensive rats...
- Arginine transport is augmented, through modulation of cationic amino acid transporter-1, in obstructive uropathy in ratsIdit F Schwartz
Nephrology Department, Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center, Tel Aviv University, Sackler School of Medicine, Tel Aviv, Israel
Kidney Blood Press Res 31:210-6. 2008..Since availability of L-arginine, the sole precursor for NO, governs NO synthesis, we aimed to determine the role of glomerular arginine transport in rats subjected to 24 h of bilateral ureteral ligation (BUO)...
- Misregulation of the arginase pathway in tissues of spontaneously hypertensive ratsTeddy Bagnost
Laboratoire de Physiologie Pharmacologie Nutrition Préventive Expérimentale, Besancon, France
Hypertens Res 32:1130-5. 2009..In conclusion, this study shows that increased arginase activity is not restricted to large vessels in SHRs and suggests that cardiac arginase activity is hemodynamic sensitive...
- Arginase: an emerging key player in the mammalian immune systemMarkus Munder
Department of Hematology, Oncology and Rheumatology, University Hospital Heidelberg, University of Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany
Br J Pharmacol 158:638-51. 2009..Pharmacological interference with L-arginine metabolism is a novel promising strategy in the treatment of cancer, autoimmunity or unwanted immune deviation...
- Upregulation of arginase expression and activity in hypertensive rats exposed to chronic intermittent hypobaric hypoxiaVasthi Lopez
Instituto de Estudios de la Salud, Universidad Arturo Prat, Iquique, Chile
High Alt Med Biol 10:373-81. 2009..596, p < 0.001). An upregulation of arginase type II could be pivotal in understanding the pathogenesis of systolic hypertension and probably other phenomena ..
- Arginase 1 and arginase 2 variations associate with asthma, asthma severity and beta2 agonist and steroid responseJudith M Vonk
Department of Epidemiology, University Medical Center Groningen, The Netherlands
Pharmacogenet Genomics 20:179-86. 2010..Arginase probably plays an important role in asthma development, severity and progression. Polymorphisms in arginase 1 and arginase 2 genes have been associated with childhood asthma and FEV1 reversibility to beta2 agonists...
- Effect of paraquat exposure on nitric oxide-responsive genes in rat mesencephalic cellsJose M Moran
Centro de Investigacion Biomedica en Red sobre Enfermedades Neurodegenerativas, Departamento de Bioquimica y Biologia Molecular y Genetica, EU Enfermería y TO, Universidad de Extremadura, Avda Universidad s n 10071 Cáceres, Spain
Nitric Oxide 23:51-9. 2010..of nitric oxide and its potential role in paraquat-induced gene expression, we examined changes in GCH1, ARG1, ARG2, NOS1, NOS2, NOS3, NOSTRIN, NOSIP, NOS1AP, RASD1, DYNLL1, GUCY1A3, DDAH1, DDAH2 and CYGB genes whose expression is ..
- Vascular arginase contributes to arteriolar endothelial dysfunction in a rat model of hemorrhagic shockRobert A Johnson
Division of Trauma and Emergency Surgery, Department of Surgery, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, San Antonio, Texas 78229, USA
J Trauma 69:384-91. 2010..However, the role of arginase in hemorrhage-induced endothelial dysfunction has not been studied. This study tests the hypothesis that arginase inhibition improves endothelial function after hemorrhage...
- Hyperlipidemic versus healthy pancreases: a proteomic analysis using an animal modelWei Zhang
Department of Gastroenterology, Hua Dong Hospital, Fu Dan University School of Medical Sciences, Shanghai, China
IUBMB Life 62:781-9. 2010..Alpha-amylase and arginase II were dysregulated by more than twofold...
- Up-regulation of arginase II contributes to pulmonary vascular endothelial cell dysfunction during experimental pulmonary embolismJohn A Watts
Department of Emergency Medicine, Carolinas Medical Center, Charlotte, NC, USA
Pulm Pharmacol Ther 24:407-13. 2011..We tested if experimental PE impairs pulmonary vascular endothelium-dependent dilation via activation of arginase II. Experimental PE was induced in male Sprague-Dawley rats by infusing 25 μm microspheres in the right jugular ..
- Cerebral changes occurring in arginase and dimethylarginine dimethylaminohydrolase (DDAH) in a rat model of sleeping sicknessDonia Amrouni
Universite Claude Bernard Lyon 1, Faculte de Medecine, EA 4170 and Plateau NeuroChem, Lyon, France
PLoS ONE 6:e16891. 2011....
- Oral administration of orthovanadate and Trigonella foenum graecum seed power restore the activities of mitochondrial enzymes in tissues of alloxan-induced diabetic ratsShalini Thakran
Hormone and Drug Research Laboratory, School of Life Sciences, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi, India
Mol Cell Biochem 247:45-53. 2003....
- Cloning and characterization of the mouse and rat type II arginase genesR K Iyer
Department of Pathology, UCLA School of Medicine, California 90095, USA
Mol Genet Metab 63:168-75. 1998..In these patients, a second extrahepatic or type II arginase activity is significantly increased, an induction that may partially compensate for the lack of AI activity ..
- Differential expression of arginase and iNOS in the lung in sepsisM S Carraway
Department of Medicine, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
Exp Lung Res 24:253-68. 1998..We found by Western blot that arginase II at 39 kDa was the main isoform present in normal rat lung...
- The human arginases and arginase deficiencyR Iyer
Department of Pathology, University of California, Los Angeles, USA
J Inherit Metab Dis 21:86-100. 1998..The evidence for the role of AII in nitric oxide and polyamine metabolism is presented and this appears consonant with the data on the tissue distribution...
- Induction of arginase isoforms in the lung during hyperoxiaL G Que
Department of Medicine, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
Am J Physiol 275:L96-102. 1998..The strong expression of arginase in the connective tissues suggests that the function of pulmonary arginase may be linked to connective tissue elements, e.g., fibroblasts, during lung injury and recovery...
- Expression of arginase II and related enzymes in the rat small intestine and kidneyM Ozaki
Department of Molecular Genetics, Kumamoto University School of Medicine, Honjo, Kumamoto, 860 0811, Japan
J Biochem 125:586-93. 1999..conversion of arginine to urea and ornithine, and consists of a liver-type (arginase I) and a non-hepatic type (arginase II)...
- Regulatory role of arginase I and II in nitric oxide, polyamine, and proline syntheses in endothelial cellsH Li
Department of Animal Science, Texas A and M University, College Station, Texas 77843, USA
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 280:E75-82. 2001..transfected with the Escherichia coli lacZ gene (lacZ-EC, control), rat arginase I cDNA (AI-EC), or mouse arginase II cDNA (AII-EC)...
- Glucocorticoids inhibit lipopolysaccharide-induced up-regulation of arginase in rat alveolar macrophagesS Klasen
Institut fur Pharmakologie und Toxikologie, Rheinische Friedrich Wilhelms Universitat, Reuterstr 2b, D 53113 Bonn, Germany
Br J Pharmacol 132:1349-57. 2001..Both, LPS and IFN-gamma enhanced the levels of arginase II mRNA and protein, effects also inhibited by dexamethasone...
- Effects of arginase isoforms on NO Production by nNOSLoretta G Que
Department of Medicine, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina, USA
Nitric Oxide 6:1-8. 2002..These results suggest that, in 293nNOS cells, AI was more effective in regulating NO production by nNOS, most likely by competing for L-arginine...
- Induction of arginase II in livers of bile duct-ligated ratsChang Li Wei
Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Medicine, National University of Singapore, Singapore
Biochem Pharmacol 63:1043-50. 2002..21 x 10(4) attomole/microg of total RNA, sham vs. BDL, P<0.001), as well as arginase I protein. In contrast, arginase II mRNA was induced in the livers of BDL rats, with negligible expression in controls (0.35+/-0.11 vs. 3.64+/-0...
- Decreased expression of arginase II in the kidneys of Dahl salt-sensitive ratsSachiyo Iwata
Department of Internal Medicine, Kobe University Graduate School of Medical Science, Japan
Hypertens Res 25:411-8. 2002..b>Arginase II (the dominant isoform in the kidney) mRNA and protein in the kidney of salt-loaded SS rats were also lower than ..
- L-Arginine transport is augmented through up-regulation of tubular CAT-2 mRNA in ischemic acute renal failure in ratsIdit F Schwartz
The Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center, Tel Aviv, Israel
Kidney Int 62:1700-6. 2002..We hypothesized that the increased NO production observed in iARF may result from increased l-Arg uptake, which would be reflected in the augmented expression of l-Arg transporter(s)...
- Dissection of experimental asthma with DNA microarray analysis identifies arginase in asthma pathogenesisNives Zimmermann
Division of Allergy and Immunology, Department of Pediatrics, Cincinnati Children s Hospital Medical Center, Cincinnati, Ohio 45229, USA
J Clin Invest 111:1863-74. 2003..related to metabolism of basic amino acids, specifically the cationic amino acid transporter 2, arginase I, and arginase II, were particularly prominent among the asthma signature genes...
- Production of nitric oxide during graft rejection is regulated by the Th1/Th2 balance, the arginase activity, and L-arginine metabolismVladimir Holan
Institute of Molecular Genetics, Academy of Sciences, and Faculty of Natural Sciences, Charles University, Prague, Czech Republic
Transplantation 81:1708-15. 2006..Although high levels of NO are generated during allograft rejection, undetectable or only limited amounts of NO were found in rejected skin xenografts...
- Proteomic analysis of long-term vasopressin action in the inner medullary collecting duct of the Brattleboro ratBas W M van Balkom
Laboratory of Kidney and Electrolyte Metabolism, National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892 1603, USA
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 286:F216-24. 2004..to a role for vasopressin in the coordinate regulation of several determinants of nitric oxide levels (NOS2, arginase II, NADPH oxidase) and of proteins potentially involved in vasopressin escape (adenylyl cyclase VI and G protein-..
- Effects of dietary vitamin E and selenium on arginase activity in the liver, kidneys, and heart of rats treated with high doses of glucocorticoidMine Erişir
Department of Biochemistry, Veterinary Faculty of Firat Euphrates University, Elazig 23119, Turkey
Cell Biochem Funct 21:331-5. 2003..Vitamin E and Se in combination may prevent the changes in arginase activity in various tissues caused by prednisolone...
- Ornithine metabolism in male and female rat kidney: mitochondrial expression of ornithine aminotransferase and arginase IIOlivier Levillain
Laboratoire de Physiopathologie Métabolique et Rénale, Faculté de Médecine Lyon R T H Laennec, INSERM U 499, 7 ue G Paradin, 69372 Lyon Cedex 08, France
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 286:F727-38. 2004..is reabsorbed along the proximal convoluted tubule (PCT), transported by basolateral carriers, and produced by arginase II (AII). Here, the renal metabolic fate of L-ornithine was analyzed in male and female rats...
- High glucose augments arginase activity and nitric oxide production in the renal cortexNaohito Ishii
Department of Clinical Chemistry, Kitasato University School of Allied Health Sciences, Kanagawa, Japan
Metabolism 53:868-74. 2004..These results suggest that increased NOS activity, rather than altered substrate availability, may be the principal factor underlying increased NO synthesis in diabetic kidneys...
- Effects of N-acetylcysteine on arginase, ornithine and nitric oxide in renal ischemia-reperfusion injuryHakan Erbas
Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Medicine, University of Trakya, 22030 Edirne, Turkey
Pharmacol Res 50:523-7. 2004..The aim of this study was to investigate the possible effects of NAC on liver and kidney tissue arginase activity, ornithine and plasma nitric oxide levels during the I/R injury of kidney...
- Nitric oxide synthase and arginase expression changes in the rat perirhinal and entorhinal cortices following unilateral vestibular damage: a link to deficits in object recognition?Ping Liu
Vestibular Research Group, Dept of Pharmacology and Toxicology, School of Medical Sciences, University of Otago, Dunedin, New Zealand
J Vestib Res 14:411-7. 2004..plasticity, neuronal nitric oxide synthase (nNOS), endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS), arginase I and arginase II (AI and II), in the rat EC and PRC using Western blotting...
- The role of mitochondrially bound arginase in the regulation of urea synthesis: studies with [U-15N4]arginine, isolated mitochondria, and perfused rat liverItzhak Nissim
Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, Division of Child Development and Rehabilitation Medicine, Department of Pediatrics, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
J Biol Chem 280:17715-24. 2005....
- Pirfenidone inhibits lung allograft fibrosis through L-arginine-arginase pathwayHanzhong Liu
Department of Pediatrics, University of Florida, Gainesville, 32610, USA
Am J Transplant 5:1256-63. 2005..These results suggest that pirfenidone inhibits local arginase activity possibly through suppression of endogenous TGF-beta, hence, limiting the development of fibrosis in lung allografts...
- Modulation of intestinal urea cycle by dietary spermine in suckling ratMyriam Gharbi
Department of Biochemistry and General Physiology, Immunology Center, University of Liege, Belgium
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 336:1119-24. 2005..Modulation of the gene expression for several urea cycle enzymes suggests a coordination between all the pathway steps and switch toward polyamine (or proline and glutamate) biosynthesis from ornithine...
- Genetic polymorphisms in arginase I and II and childhood asthma and atopyHuiling Li
Laboratory of Respiratory Biology, National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, Research Triangle Park, NC 27709, USA
J Allergy Clin Immunol 117:119-26. 2006A recent microarray study implicated arginase I (ARG1) and arginase II (ARG2) in mouse allergic asthma models and human asthma.
- Arginase modulates myocardial contractility by a nitric oxide synthase 1-dependent mechanismJochen Steppan
Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine, The Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:4759-64. 2006..These findings have implications for therapy in pathophysiologic states such as aging and heart failure in which myocardial NO signaling is disrupted...
- Inhibition of rat liver and kidney arginase by cadmium ionCalvin D Tormanen
Department of Chemistry, Central Michigan University, Mount Pleasant 48859, USA
J Enzyme Inhib Med Chem 21:119-23. 2006..Cadmium ion prevented the substrate inhibition of rat kidney arginase by fluoride while still inhibiting the enzyme. Cadmium ion also inhibited rat kidney arginase in the presence of manganese ion...