Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Arc
Description: activity-regulated cytoskeleton-associated protein
Alias: rg3.1, activity-regulated cytoskeleton-associated protein, ARC/ARG3.1, activity regulated cytoskeletal-associated protein, activity-regulated gene 3.1 protein, arg3.1
Publications101 found, 100 shown here
- Selective survival and maturation of adult-born dentate granule cells expressing the immediate early gene Arc/Arg3.1Sjoukje D Kuipers
Department of Biomedicine and Bergen Mental Health Research Center, University of Bergen, Bergen, Norway
PLoS ONE 4:e4885. 2009..high-frequency stimulation (HFS) of the perforant path input elicits robust expression of the immediate early gene Arc/Arg3...
- MGluRs regulate the expression of neuronal calcium sensor proteins NCS-1 and VILIP-1 and the immediate early gene arg3.1/arc in the hippocampus in vivoMarian Brackmann
Signal Transduction Research Group, Neuroscience Research Center of the Charite, Tucholskystrasse 2, D 10117 Berlin, Germany
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 322:1073-9. 2004..The immediate early gene (IEG) arg3.1/arc showed highest expression levels 2h after DHPG-treatment...
- Tinnitus behavior and hearing function correlate with the reciprocal expression patterns of BDNF and Arg3.1/arc in auditory neurons following acoustic traumaJ Tan
University of Tubingen, Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Hearing Research Center Tübingen, Molecular Neurobiology, Elfriede Aulhorn Strasse 5, 72076 Tubingen, Germany
Neuroscience 145:715-26. 2007..The expression of brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF), the activity-dependent cytoskeletal protein (Arg3.1/arc), and the immediate early gene c-Fos were monitored in the peripheral and central auditory system hours and days ..
- Somatodendritic expression of an immediate early gene is regulated by synaptic activityW Link
Center for Molecular Neurobiology, Hamburg University, Germany
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 92:5734-8. 1995..The dendritic localization of the transcripts offers the potential for local synthesis of the protein at activated postsynaptic sites and may underlie synapse-specific modifications during long-term plastic events...
- Arc, a growth factor and activity-regulated gene, encodes a novel cytoskeleton-associated protein that is enriched in neuronal dendritesG L Lyford
Department of Neuroscience, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21205
Neuron 14:433-45. 1995..Accordingly, we have termed the gene and encoded protein Arc (activity-regulated cytoskeleton-associated protein)...
- Experience-dependent regulation of the immediate-early gene arc differs across brain regionsMichele P Kelly
Department of Biology, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
J Neurosci 23:6443-51. 2003..acquisition of a lever-press task resulted in higher levels of activity-regulated cytoskeleton-associated protein (Arc) mRNA induction than did overtrained performance (Kelly and Deadwyler, 2002)...
- Spatial exploration-induced Arc mRNA and protein expression: evidence for selective, network-specific reactivationVictor Ramirez-Amaya
Arizona Research Laboratories, Division of Neural Systems, Memory, and Aging, University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona 85724 5115, USA
J Neurosci 25:1761-8. 2005The immediate-early gene Arc is transcribed in neurons that are part of stable neural networks activated during spatial exploratory behaviors...
- Long-term potentiation in the rat dentate gyrus is associated with enhanced Arc/Arg3.1 protein expression in spines, dendrites and gliaJ J Rodriguez
Department of Biological Sciences, Faculty of Sciences, The Open University, Walton Hall, Milton Keynes MK7 6AA, UK
Eur J Neurosci 21:2384-96. 2005..to determine the localization, subcellular distribution and expression of activity-regulated cytoskeletal protein (Arc/Arg3...
- Spatial exploration induces ARC, a plasticity-related immediate-early gene, only in calcium/calmodulin-dependent protein kinase II-positive principal excitatory and inhibitory neurons of the rat forebrainAlmira Vazdarjanova
Synapses and Cognitive Neuroscience Center and Department of Neurology, School of Medicine, Medical College of Georgia, Augusta, Georgia 30912, USA
J Comp Neurol 498:317-29. 2006Active behavior, such as exploring a novel environment, induces the expression of the immediate-early gene Arc (activity-regulated cytoskeletal associated protein, or Arg 3...
- Arc/Arg3.1 interacts with the endocytic machinery to regulate AMPA receptor traffickingShoaib Chowdhury
Department of Neuroscience, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21205, USA
Neuron 52:445-59. 2006b>Arc/Arg3.1 is an immediate-early gene whose mRNA is rapidly transcribed and targeted to dendrites of neurons as they engage in information processing and storage. Moreover, Arc/Arg3...
- Increased expression of the immediate-early gene arc/arg3.1 reduces AMPA receptor-mediated synaptic transmissionEmiliano M Rial Verde
Watson School of Biological Sciences, Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, Cold Spring Harbor, New York 11724, USA
Neuron 52:461-74. 2006b>Arc/Arg3.1 is an immediate-early gene whose expression levels are increased by strong synaptic activation, including synapse-strengthening activity patterns. Arc/Arg3...
- Arc/Arg3.1 mediates homeostatic synaptic scaling of AMPA receptorsJason D Shepherd
Department of Neuroscience, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21205, USA
Neuron 52:475-84. 2006..Here, we demonstrate that Arc/Arg3...
- Sustained Arc/Arg3.1 synthesis controls long-term potentiation consolidation through regulation of local actin polymerization in the dentate gyrus in vivoElhoucine Messaoudi
Department of Biomedicine and Bergen Mental Health Research Center, University of Bergen, N 5009 Bergen, Norway
J Neurosci 27:10445-55. 2007..Here we probed the dynamic function of activity-induced Arc (activity-regulated cytoskeletal-associated protein)/Arg3.1 (activity-regulated gene 3...
- Multiplexed dendritic targeting of alpha calcium calmodulin-dependent protein kinase II, neurogranin, and activity-regulated cytoskeleton-associated protein RNAs by the A2 pathwayYuanzheng Gao
Neuroscience Program, Department of Molecular Microbial and Structural Biology, University of Connecticut Health Center, Farmington CT 06030, USA
Mol Biol Cell 19:2311-27. 2008..Multiplexed dendritic targeting of different RNAs by the same pathway represents a new organizing principle for coordinating gene expression at the synapse...
- Expression pattern of neural synaptic plasticity marker-Arc in different brain regions induced by conditioned drug withdrawal from acute morphine-dependent ratsMu Li
State Key Laboratory of Drug Research, Shanghai Institute of Materia Medica, Shanghai Institutes for Biological Sciences, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Shanghai, China
Acta Pharmacol Sin 30:282-90. 2009The immediate early gene Arc (activity-regulated cytoskeletal-associated protein) mRNA and protein are induced by strong synaptic activation and rapidly transported into dendrites, where they localize at active synaptic sites...
- Arc/Arg3.1 regulates an endosomal pathway essential for activity-dependent β-amyloid generationJing Wu
Solomon H Snyder Department of Neuroscience, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Cell 147:615-28. 2011..Here, we report that the immediate early gene Arc is required for activity-dependent generation of Aβ...
- Inverse synaptic tagging of inactive synapses via dynamic interaction of Arc/Arg3.1 with CaMKIIβHiroyuki Okuno
Department of Neurochemistry, Graduate School of Medicine, The University of Tokyo, Bunkyo ku, Japan
Cell 149:886-98. 2012The Arc/Arg3.1 gene product is rapidly upregulated by strong synaptic activity and critically contributes to weakening synapses by promoting AMPA-R endocytosis...
- Balancing Arc synthesis, mRNA decay, and proteasomal degradation: maximal protein expression triggered by rapid eye movement sleep-like bursts of muscarinic cholinergic receptor stimulationJonathan Soule
Department of Biomedicine, KG Jebsen Centre for Research on Neuropsychiatric Disorders, University of Bergen, Jonas Lies vei 91, N 5009 Bergen, Norway
J Biol Chem 287:22354-66. 2012Cholinergic signaling induces Arc/Arg3.1, an immediate early gene crucial for synaptic plasticity. However, the molecular mechanisms that dictate Arc mRNA and protein dynamics during and after cholinergic epochs are little understood...
- Actin polymerization-dependent increase in synaptic Arc/Arg3.1 expression in the amygdala is crucial for the expression of aversive memory associated with drug withdrawalYao Liu
State Key Laboratory of Drug Research, Shanghai Institute of Materia Medica, Shanghai Institutes for Biological Sciences, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Shanghai 201203, China
J Neurosci 32:12005-17. 2012..polymerization within the amygdala triggered transportation of activity-regulated cytoskeletal-associated protein (Arc/Arg3.1) into amygdalar synapses. Increased synaptic Arc/Arg3...
- Noise-induced inner hair cell ribbon loss disturbs central arc mobilization: a novel molecular paradigm for understanding tinnitusWibke Singer
Molecular Physiology of Hearing, Hearing Research Centre Tübingen THRC, Department of Otolaryngology, University of Tubingen, Elfriede Aulhorn Str 5, 72076, Tubingen, Germany
Mol Neurobiol 47:261-79. 2013..in stimulus-evoked neuronal activity, (4) the expression of the activity-regulated cytoskeletal protein, Arc, to identify long-lasting changes in network activity within the basolateral amygdala (BLA), hippocampal CA1, and ..
- Midazolam reverses salicylate-induced changes in brain-derived neurotrophic factor and arg3.1 expression: implications for tinnitus perception and auditory plasticityRama Panford-Walsh
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Universitat Tubingen, Tubingen, Germany
Mol Pharmacol 74:595-604. 2008..Brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF), the activity-dependent cytoskeletal protein (Arg3.1, also known as Arc), and c-Fos are known to be affected by changes in excitability and plasticity...
- Delayed electrical stimulation and BDNF application following induced deafness in ratsBing Nan Song
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Beijing Tongren Hospital, Capital Medical University, Beijing, PR China
Acta Otolaryngol 129:142-54. 2009..Moreover, the combination of ES and BDNF has a synergistic protective effect rather than an additive effect. Both SGC body and peripheral process influence the auditory sensitivity, and the latter appears to be more important...
- Age-related changes in Arc transcription and DNA methylation within the hippocampusM R Penner
ARL Division of Neural Systems, Memory and Aging and Evelyn F McKnight Brain Institute, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ 85724, USA
Neurobiol Aging 32:2198-210. 2011..Because Arc is necessary for memory consolidation and enduring synaptic plasticity, we examined Arc transcription within the ..
- LTP- and LTD-inducing stimulations cause opposite changes in arc/arg3.1 mRNA level in hippocampal area CA1 in vivoEser Yilmaz-Rastoder
Department of Neurobiology, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15260, USA
Hippocampus 21:1290-301. 2011..The IEG that encodes activity-regulated cytoskeleton-associated protein (arc/arg3.1) has attracted much interest because its mRNA is transported to and translated near activated synapses...
- Attenuated long-term Arc expression in the aged fascia dentataDiano F Marrone
Evelyn F McKnight Brain Institute, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ 85724, USA
Neurobiol Aging 33:979-90. 2012..The immediate early gene Arc, which is implicated in both durable memory and synaptic plasticity, is expressed in the fascia dentata (FD) for ..
- Erythropoietin-induced changes in brain gene expression reveal induction of synaptic plasticity genes in experimental strokeManuela Mengozzi
Brighton and Sussex Medical School, Falmer BN19RY, United Kingdom
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 109:9617-22. 2012..clustering and analysis of overrepresented functional categories identified genes implicated in synaptic plasticity-Arc, BDNF, Egr1, and Egr2, of which Egr2 was the most significantly regulated...
- Changes in the Egr1 and Arc expression in brain structures of pentylenetetrazole-kindled ratsJanusz Szyndler
Department of Experimental and Clinical Pharmacology, Medical University of Warsaw, Krakowskie Przedmiescie 26 28, PL 00 927 Warszawa, Poland
Pharmacol Rep 65:368-78. 2013..Some of immediate early genes (IEGs) as egr1 (zif268) or arc (arg3.1) are believed to play an important role in the process of epileptogenesis...
- Hippocampal Arc (Arg3.1) expression is induced by memory recall and required for memory reconsolidation in trace fear conditioningChester Chia
Program in Behavioral and Systems Neuroscience, Department of Psychology, Rutgers University, New Brunswick, NJ 08903, United States
Neurobiol Learn Mem 106:48-55. 2013..In the present study, we examined the role of activity-regulated cytoskeletal-associated protein (Arc/Arg3.1) expression in the acquisition, recall, and reconsolidation of memory in a trace fear conditioning paradigm...
- Selective localization of arc mRNA in dendrites involves activity- and translation-dependent mRNA degradationShannon Farris
Reeve Irvine Research Center and Departments of Anatomy and Neurobiology, Neurobiology and Behavior, and Neurosurgery, University of California, Irvine, Irvine, California 92697
J Neurosci 34:4481-93. 2014b>Arc is an immediate early gene that is unique among neuronal mRNAs because its transcripts are transported into dendrites and accumulate near activated synapses, presumably to be translated locally...
- Stress in utero alters neonatal stress-induced regulation of the synaptic plasticity proteins Arc and Egr1 in a sex-specific mannerNicole Gröger
Department of Zoology Developmental Neurobiology, Institute of Biology, Otto von Guericke University, Leipziger Straße 44, 39120, Magdeburg, Germany
Brain Struct Funct 221:679-85. 2016..impact of prenatal stress exposure ("first hit") on the regulation of the synaptic plasticity immediate early genes Arc and Egr1 in response to a second neonatal stressor ("second hit") in a sex-specific manner...
- Motor skill learning enhances the expression of activity-regulated cytoskeleton-associated protein in the rat cerebellumDean Chuan Wang
Department of Sports Medicine, Kaohsiung Medical University, Kaohsiung, 807, Taiwan
J Comp Physiol A Neuroethol Sens Neural Behav Physiol 200:959-66. 2014..Because the induction of immediate-early genes activity-regulated cytoskeleton-associated protein (Arc) and zinc finger binding protein clone 268 (Zif268) has been regarded as a marker for recent neuronal activity, ..
- NAc Shell Arc/Arg3.1 Protein Mediates Reconsolidation of Morphine CPP by Increased GluR1 Cell Surface Expression: Activation of ERK-Coupled CREB is RequiredXiu Fang Lv
Neuroscience Research Institute, Peking University Drs Lv, SUN, CUI, and Han Department of Neurobiology, School of Basic Medical Sciences, Peking University Drs Lv, SUN, CUI, and Han Key Laboratory for Neuroscience of the Ministry of Education and the Ministry of Public Health, Beijing, China Drs Lv, SUN, CUI, and Han Basic Medical Research Centre, Medical School of Nantong University, Nantong, China Dr Lv
Int J Neuropsychopharmacol 18:. 2015..Disrupting the reconsolidation of drug-related context memory would therefore limit the relapse susceptibility...
- Sustained Arc expression in adult-generated granule cellsAlicia Meconi
Department of Psychology, Wilfrid Laurier University, Waterloo, ON N2L 3C5, Canada
Neurosci Lett 603:66-70. 2015..adulthood, the region also shows a unique long-term sustained transcriptional response of the immediate-early gene Arc to sensory input...
- Increase in c-Fos and Arc protein in retrosplenial cortex after memory-improving lateral hypothalamic electrical stimulation treatmentElisabeth Kádár
Universitat de Girona, Departament de Biologia, 17071 Girona, Spain
Neurobiol Learn Mem 128:117-24. 2016..Effects of ICSS on Arc protein, a marker of memory-associated synaptic plasticity, were also measured by immunohistochemistry in granular ..
- BDNF-induced LTP is associated with rapid Arc/Arg3.1-dependent enhancement in adult hippocampal neurogenesisSjoukje D Kuipers
Department of Biomedicine and KG Jebsen Centre for Research on Neuropsychiatric Disorders, Jonas Lies vei 91, University of Bergen, 5009 Bergen, Norway
Sci Rep 6:21222. 2016..Importantly, inhibition of activity-regulated cytoskeleton-associated protein (Arc/Arg3...
- Effects of maternal stress during pregnancy on learning and memory via hippocampal BDNF, Arc (Arg3.1) expression in offspringSu zhen Guan
Department of Social Medicine, College of Public Health, Xinjiang Medical University, Urumqi 830011, China
Environ Toxicol Pharmacol 46:158-67. 2016..pregnancy on offspring's learning and memory abilities and analyze its mechanisms from the expression of BDNF and Arc in the hippocampus of the offspring...
- Topography of Arc/Arg3.1 mRNA expression in the dorsal and ventral hippocampus induced by recent and remote spatial memory recall: dissociation of CA3 and CA1 activationPavel A Gusev
Blanchette Rockefeller Neurosciences Institute, Rockville, Maryland 20850, USA
J Neurosci 25:9384-97. 2005..To address these questions, we mapped the expression of Arc/Arg 3...
- Platelet-derived growth factor-mediated induction of the synaptic plasticity gene Arc/Arg3.1Fuwang Peng
Department of Pharmacology and Experimental Neuroscience, University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, Nebraska 68198 5880, USA
J Biol Chem 285:21615-24. 2010..In the present study we demonstrated that in the rat hippocampal neurons PDGF regulated the expression of Arc/Arg3.1 gene that has been implicated in both synapse plasticity and long term potentiation...
- Cholinergic hypofunction impairs memory acquisition possibly through hippocampal Arc and BDNF downregulationFrancisco J Gil-Bea
Department of Neurobiology, Care Sciences and Society, Karolinska Institutet Alzheimer s Disease Research Center, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Hippocampus 21:999-1009. 2011Recent evidence suggests that activity-regulated cytoskeleton associated protein (Arc) and brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) are key players in the cellular mechanisms that trigger synaptic changes and memory consolidation...
- Stress and cocaine interact to modulate Arc/Arg3.1 expression in rat brainLucia Caffino
Department of Pharmacological Sciences, Center of Neuropharmacology, Universita degli Studi di Milano, Via Balzaretti 9, 20133 Milan, Italy
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 218:241-8. 2011..b>arc/arg3...
- Familiar taste induces higher dendritic levels of activity-regulated cytoskeleton-associated protein in the insular cortex than a novel oneJean Pascal Morin
Division de Neurociencias, Instituto de Fisiologia Celular, Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico, Mexico DF, Mexico
Learn Mem 18:610-6. 2011The immediate early gene (IEG) Arc is known to play an important role in synaptic plasticity; its protein is locally translated in the dendrites where it has been involved in several types of plasticity mechanisms...
- Altered learning and Arc-regulated consolidation of learning in striatum by methamphetamine-induced neurotoxicityElissa D Pastuzyn
Interdepartmental Program in Neuroscience, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT 84112, USA
Neuropsychopharmacology 37:885-95. 2012..previously shown and now further show that the positive correlation between expression of the immediate-early gene Arc (activity-regulated, cytoskeleton-associated) in the dorsomedial (DM) striatum and learning on a response reversal ..
- Activation of intracellular metabotropic glutamate receptor 5 in striatal neurons leads to up-regulation of genes associated with sustained synaptic transmission including Arc/Arg3.1 proteinVikas Kumar
Department of Anatomy and Neurobiology, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
J Biol Chem 287:5412-25. 2012..up-regulates genes involved in synaptic plasticity including activity-regulated cytoskeletal-associated protein (Arc/Arg3.1)...
- Arc mRNA docks precisely at the base of individual dendritic spines indicating the existence of a specialized microdomain for synapse-specific mRNA translationJoseph L Dynes
Reeve Irvine Research Center, University of California at Irvine, Irvine, California 92697, USA
J Comp Neurol 520:3105-19. 2012b>Arc (aka Arg 3.1) is induced by neural activity and learning experience. Arc mRNA is rapidly exported into dendrites where it localizes near activated synapses...
- Experience-dependent recruitment of Arc expression in multiple systems during restAli Gheidi
Wilfrid Laurier University, Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
J Neurosci Res 90:1820-9. 2012..Concomitantly, transcription of immediate-early genes (IEGs) such as Arc also reoccurs in the same hippocampal neurons, suggesting that IEGs contribute to "off-line" consolidation...
- Cognitive demands induce selective hippocampal reorganization: Arc expression in a place and response taskBrandy Schmidt
Dept of Psychology, University of Connecticut, Storrs, Connecticut, USA
Hippocampus 22:2114-26. 2012..b>Arc expression was used to measure the recruitment of ensembles across different hippocampal subregions in rats trained ..
- Epigenetic regulation of Arc and c-Fos in the hippocampus after acute electroconvulsive stimulation in the ratMads Dyrvig
Laboratory of Neurobiology, Department of Health Science and Technology, Aalborg University, Aalborg, Denmark
Brain Res Bull 88:507-13. 2012..looked at epigenetic regulation of two important immediate early genes that are both induced after ECS: c-Fos and Arc. We examined Arc and c-Fos protein expression and found Arc present over 4 h, in contrast to c-Fos presence lasting ..
- Experience-dependent expression of rat hippocampal Arc and Homer 1a after spatial learning on 8-arm and 12-arm radial mazesN Nikbakht
Department of Biology, University of Isfahan, Iran
Neuroscience 218:49-55. 2012The expression of Arc and Homer 1a (H1a) depends on neural activity. This study was designed to determine hippocampal Arc and H1a mRNA expression levels after spatial learning with differing behavioral task demands...
- Memory traces compete under regimes of limited Arc protein synthesis: implications for memory interferenceMaria Cecilia Martinez
Laboratorio de Memoria, Instituto de Biologia Celular y Neurociencia Prof E De Robertis, Facultad de Medicina, Universidad de Buenos Aires, CONICET, Paraguay 2155 3 Piso, C1121ABG, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Neurobiol Learn Mem 98:165-73. 2012..Furthermore, infusing Arc antisense oligonucleotide into the dorsal hippocampus, we found that Arc is necessary for LTM formation of these ..
- Isolation rearing attenuates social interaction-induced expression of immediate early gene protein products in the medial prefrontal cortex of male and female ratsVanessa L Wall
Department of Psychology, University of Colorado Denver, Denver, CO, United States
Physiol Behav 107:440-50. 2012..The protein products of the IEGs c-fos and Arc, as well as the neurotrophic factor BDNF were assessed in medial prefrontal cortex (mPFC) subregions (anterior ..
- Developmentally-induced hypothyroidism alters the expression of Egr-1 and Arc genes and the sensitivity to cannabinoid agonists in the hippocampus. Possible implications for memory and learningElena Gine
Departamento de Biologia Celular, Facultad de Medicina, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, 28040 Madrid, Spain
Mol Cell Endocrinol 365:119-28. 2013..All these data suggest that the hippocampal deregulation of early genes expression could play an important role in the basal cognitive deficits of hypothyroid rats...
- Sustained transcription of the immediate early gene Arc in the dentate gyrus after spatial explorationVictor Ramirez-Amaya
Redes Neuronales Plásticas Laboratory, Department of Neurobiología Conductual y Cognitiva Instituto de Neurobiología, Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico, Queretaro, Mexico
J Neurosci 33:1631-9. 2013After spatial exploration in rats, Arc mRNA is expressed in ∼2% of dentate gyrus (DG) granule cells, and this proportion of Arc-positive neurons remains stable for ∼8 h...
- Transcription of the immediate-early gene Arc in CA1 of the hippocampus reveals activity differences along the proximodistal axis that are attenuated by advanced ageAndrea L Hartzell
Evelyn F McKnight Brain Institute, University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona 85724, USA
J Neurosci 33:3424-33. 2013..experiment investigated this possibility by monitoring behavior-induced cell activity across the CA1 axis using Arc mRNA imaging methods that compared adult and old rats in two conditions: (1) exploration of the same environment ..
- Arc/Arg3.1 is a postsynaptic mediator of activity-dependent synapse elimination in the developing cerebellumTakayasu Mikuni
Department of Neurophysiology, Graduate School of Medicine, The University of Tokyo, Tokyo 113 0033, Japan
Neuron 78:1024-35. 2013..Here, we report that the immediate early gene Arc/Arg3...
- Taste familiarity is inversely correlated with Arc/Arg3.1 hemispheric lateralizationSharon Inberg
Sagol Department of Neurobiology, and Center for Gene Manipulation in the Brain, University of Haifa, Haifa, Israel
J Neurosci 33:11734-43. 2013..Here, we compared activity regulated cytoskeleton associated protein (Arc)/Arg3...
- Alternative splicing determines the intracellular localization of the novel nuclear protein Nop30 and its interaction with the splicing factor SRp30cO Stoss
Max Planck Institute of Neurobiology, Am Klopferspitz 18a, D 82152 Martinsried, Germany
J Biol Chem 274:10951-62. 1999..Overexpression of Nop30 changes alternative exon usage in preprotachykinin and SRp20 reporter genes, suggesting that Nop30 influences alternative splice site selection in vivo...
- Molecular cloning and characterization of Amida, a novel protein which interacts with a neuron-specific immediate early gene product arc, contains novel nuclear localization signals, and causes cell death in cultured cellsY Irie
Department of Pharmacology, Osaka University Medical School, 2 2 Yamadaoka, Suita, Osaka 565 0871, Japan
J Biol Chem 275:2647-53. 2000Amida was isolated by the yeast two-hybrid system as a novel protein which associated with Arc, a non-transcriptional immediate early gene specific to the brain. Amida was confirmed to be associated with Arc in vitro and in vivo...
- Exposure to lead elevates induction of zif268 and Arc mRNA in rats after electroconvulsive shock: the involvement of protein kinase CKyung Ah Kim
Department of Environmental Health Sciences, School of Public Health, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
J Neurosci Res 69:268-77. 2002..we examined the effect of lead on the induction of the mRNA of the immediate early genes zif268 and Arc. The time course for the induction of zif268 mRNA and Arc mRNA by electroconvulsant shock (ECS) was altered in the ..
- Phosphorylation by protein kinase CK2: a signaling switch for the caspase-inhibiting protein ARCPei Feng Li
Max Delbruck Center for Molecular Medicine, 13125 Berlin, Germany
Mol Cell 10:247-58. 2002..Here we report that the function of ARC is regulated by protein kinase CK2. ARC at threonine 149 is phosphorylated by CK2...
- Experience-dependent coincident expression of the effector immediate-early genes arc and Homer 1a in hippocampal and neocortical neuronal networksAlmira Vazdarjanova
Arizona Research Laboratories, Division of Neural Systems, Memory and Aging, University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona 85724 5115, USA
J Neurosci 22:10067-71. 2002The transcription of the immediate-early genes Arc and Homer 1a (H1a) is dynamically regulated in response to synaptic activity; their protein products function at the postsynaptic sites of excitatory synapses...
- Mating behavior induces differential Arc expression in the main and accessory olfactory bulbs of adult ratsMasato Matsuoka
Division of Neurobiology and Anatomy, Niigata University Graduate School of Medical and Dental Sciences, Niigata, 951 8510, Niigata, Japan
Neurosci Lett 335:111-4. 2002The expression of activity-related cytoskeleton-associated protein, Arc, could be useful as a marker for neuronal activity...
- Differential regulation by stimulants of neocortical expression of mrt1, arc, and homer1a mRNA in the rats treated with repeated methamphetamineKo Fujiyama
Department of Mental Disorder Research, National Institute of Neuroscience, National Center of Neurology and Psychiatry, Tokyo 187 8502, Japan
Synapse 49:143-9. 2003..In contrast, the basal expression of other stimulant-inducible and plasticity-related genes arc and homer1a and the ability of MAP or cocaine challenge to augment the amounts of their transcripts were not ..
- Antidepressant drug treatment induces Arc gene expression in the rat brainQ Pei
University Department of Pharmacology, Mansfield Road, Oxford, OX1 3QT, UK
Neuroscience 121:975-82. 2003..b>Arc (Activity-regulated, cytoskeletal-associated protein) is an effector immediate early gene implicated in LTP and ..
- Muscarinic acetylcholine receptor stimulation induces expression of the activity-regulated cytoskeleton-associated gene (ARC)Iskender Teber
Department for Experimental Tumorbiology, Institute for Neurobiology, University Muenster, Badestrasse 9, D 48149 Muenster, Germany
Brain Res Mol Brain Res 121:131-6. 2004..transduction pathway coupling mAChR activation to induction of the activity-regulated cytoskeleton-associated gene (ARC) was examined...
- Arc interacts with microtubules/microtubule-associated protein 2 and attenuates microtubule-associated protein 2 immunoreactivity in the dendritesTakahiro Fujimoto
Department of Pharmacology, Osaka University Medical School, Suita, Osaka, Japan
J Neurosci Res 76:51-63. 2004b>Arc, activity-regulated cytoskeleton-associated gene, is an immediate early gene, and its expression is regulated by a variety of stimuli, such as electric stimulation and methamphetamine. The function of Arc, however, is unknown...
- The novel monoamine reuptake inhibitor and potential antidepressant, S33005, induces Arc gene expression in cerebral cortexQi Pei
Department of Pharmacology, Oxford University, Mansfield Road, Oxford OX1 3QT, UK
Eur J Pharmacol 489:179-85. 2004Recent data show that corticolimbic expression of the effector immediate early gene Arc is up-regulated by standard antidepressant drugs...
- Stress-induced activation of the immediate early gene Arc (activity-regulated cytoskeleton-associated protein) is restricted to telencephalic areas in the rat brain: relationship to c-fos mRNASheila Ons
Institut de Neurociències and Unitat de Fisiologia Animal, Facultat de Ciencies, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, 01893 Bellaterra, Barcelona, Spain
J Neurochem 89:1111-8. 2004b>Arc is an effector immediate early gene whose expression is induced in situations of increased neuronal activity. However, there is no report on the influence of stress on Arc expression...
- Activity-regulated cytoskeleton-associated protein Arc is targeted to dendrites and coexpressed with mu-opioid receptors in postnatal rat caudate-putamen nucleusHong Wang
Department of Neurology and Neuroscience, Joan and Sanford I Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York, New York 10021, USA
J Neurosci Res 77:323-33. 2004Dendritic expression of the activity-regulated cytoskeleton-associated protein (Arc) is dramatically enhanced by increased synaptic activity in adult brain...
- Neuroinflammation alters the hippocampal pattern of behaviorally induced Arc expressionSusanna Rosi
Department of Neuroscience and Neurology, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland 21218, USA
J Neurosci 25:723-31. 2005..associated with learning and memory, we studied the expression of the activity-induced immediate early gene Arc in the hippocampus of rats with experimental neuroinflammation...
- Identification of a cis-acting element required for dendritic targeting of activity-regulated cytoskeleton-associated protein mRNAHiroaki Kobayashi
Graduate School of Frontier Biosciences, Osaka University, Yamadaoka 1 3, Suita, Osaka 565 0871, Japan
Eur J Neurosci 22:2977-84. 2005The mRNA encoding activity-regulated cytoskeleton-associated protein (Arc) is known to be targeted to dendritic regions that have received strong synaptic inputs...
- Recent behavioral history modifies coupling between cell activity and Arc gene transcription in hippocampal CA1 neuronsJohn F Guzowski
Department of Neurosciences, University of New Mexico Health Sciences Center, Albuquerque, NM 87131, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:1077-82. 2006..model by examining how earlier episodes of neural activity influence transcription of the immediate-early gene Arc. Using a sensitive FISH method that detects primary transcript at genomic alleles, the proportion of hippocampal ..
- Identification of genes co-upregulated with Arc during BDNF-induced long-term potentiation in adult rat dentate gyrus in vivoKarin Wibrand
Department of Biomedicine and Bergen Mental Health Research Center, Section for Physiology, University of Bergen, Jonas Liens vei 91, N 5009 Bergen, Norway
Eur J Neurosci 23:1501-11. 2006..perforant path-granule synapses that is transcription-dependent and requires induction of the immediate early gene Arc. Rather than acting alone, Arc is likely to be part of a larger BDNF-induced transcriptional program...
- Sexual behaviour induces the expression of activity-regulated cytoskeletal protein and modifies neuronal morphology in the female rat ventromedial hypothalamusL M Flanagan-Cato
Department of Psychology, Institute of Neurological Sciences, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104 6241, USA
J Neuroendocrinol 18:857-64. 2006..First, the expression of activity-regulated cytoskeletal protein (Arc), an IEG associated with neural plasticity, was assayed immunohistochemically in females after approximately 1 h of ..
- Selective cholinergic depletion of the hippocampus spares both behaviorally induced Arc transcription and spatial learning and memoryBonnie R Fletcher
Fishberg Department of Neuroscience and Alfred B and Gudrun J Kastor Neurobiology of Aging Laboratories, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, New York 10029, USA
Hippocampus 17:227-34. 2007..and plasticity are compromised by fornix lesions, behaviorally induced expression of the immediate early gene, Arc, is correspondingly low...
- The immediate early gene Arc is associated with behavioral resilience to stress exposure in an animal model of posttraumatic stress disorderNitsan Kozlovsky
Ministry of Health Beer Sheva Mental Health Center, Anxiety and Stress Research Unit, Faculty of Health Sciences, Ben Gurion University of the Negev, PO Box 4600, Beer Sheva 84170, Israel
Eur Neuropsychopharmacol 18:107-16. 2008..Activity-regulated cytoskeletal-associated protein (Arc) is an effector immediate early gene (IEG) which has direct effects on intracellular homeostatic functions...
- Arc mRNA induction in striatal efferent neurons associated with response learningD P Daberkow
Depts of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Program in Neuroscience, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT 84112, USA
Eur J Neurosci 26:228-41. 2007..Activity-regulated, cytoskeleton-associated (Arc) protein is an effector immediate-early gene implicated in synaptic plasticity...
- mRNA expression of activity-regulated cytoskeleton-associated protein (arc) in the amygdala-kindled ratsKazufumi Akiyama
Department of Biological Psychiatry and Neuroscience, Dokkyo Medical University School of Medicine, Japan
Brain Res 1189:236-46. 2008Activity-regulated cytoskeleton-associated protein (arc) is an immediate early gene (IEG) whose mRNA is targeted to dendrites of activated synapses...
- Effector immediate-early gene arc in the amygdala plays a critical role in alcoholismSubhash C Pandey
Department of Psychiatry, University of Illinois at Chicago, and Jesse Brown Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Chicago, Illinois 60612, USA
J Neurosci 28:2589-600. 2008The immediate early gene, activity-regulated cytoskeleton-associated protein (Arc), has been implicated in synaptic plasticity. However, the role of Arc in alcoholism is unknown...
- ARG3.1/ARC expression in hippocampal dentate gyrus astrocytes: ultrastructural evidence and co-localization with glial fibrillary acidic proteinJ J Rodriguez
Faculty of Life Sciences, The University of Manchester, Manchester, UK
J Cell Mol Med 12:671-8. 2008..While the protein products of the majority of IEGs are mainly restricted to the cell body, Arg3.1/Arc product is rapidly delivered to dendrites, where it accumulates close to synaptic sites. Arg3...
- Reactivity and plasticity in the amygdala nuclei during opiate withdrawal conditioning: differential expression of c-fos and arc immediate early genesM Lucas
Universite Victor Segalen Bordeaux 2, Universite Bordeaux 1, CNRS UMR 5227, Team Neuropsychopharmacology of Addiction, 146 bis rue Léo Saignat, 33076 Bordeaux, France
Neuroscience 154:1021-33. 2008..For this, we have quantified c-fos and arc expression using in situ hybridization in rats, following each of the three conditioning sessions during CPA, and ..
- Stability of long term facilitation and expression of zif268 and Arc in the spinal cord dorsal horn is modulated by conditioning stimulation within the physiological frequency range of primary afferent fibersF Haugan
Department of Biomedicine, University of Bergen, Bergen, Norway
Neuroscience 154:1568-75. 2008..responses of wide dynamic range neurons and the expression of immediate early genes (c-fos, zif268, and Arc) in anesthetized rats...
- Regulation of brain-derived neurotrophic factor-mediated transcription of the immediate early gene Arc by intracellular calcium and calmodulinFei Zheng
Department of Biochemistry, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan, USA
J Neurosci Res 87:380-92. 2009The induction of the immediate early gene Arc is strongly implicated in synaptic plasticity. Although the role of ERK has been demonstrated, the regulation of Arc expression is largely unknown...
- Estrogen stimulates activity-regulated cytoskeleton associated protein (Arc) expression via the MAPK- and PI-3K-dependent pathways in SH-SY5Y cellsSiriporn Chamniansawat
Department of Anatomy, Faculty of Science, Mahidol University, Rama VI Road, Bangkok 10400, Thailand
Neurosci Lett 452:130-5. 2009Activity-regulated cytoskeleton associated protein (Arc) is known to be induced by synaptic plasticity following memory consolidation...
- Differential regulation of psychostimulant-induced gene expression of brain derived neurotrophic factor and the immediate-early gene Arc in the juvenile and adult brainPartha S Banerjee
Leicester School of Pharmacy, Faculty of Health and Life Sciences, De Montfort University, The Gateway, Leicester, UK
Eur J Neurosci 29:465-76. 2009..factor (bdnf) and the effector immediate early gene activity-regulated, cytoskeletal-associated protein (Arc), was examined in both juvenile and adult rats. Both MPH [2 mg/kg, intraperitoneal (i.p.)] and AMPH (0.5 mg/kg, i.p...
- Effects of skilled training on sleep slow wave activity and cortical gene expression in the ratErin C Hanlon
Department of Psychiatry, University of Wisconsin Madison, Madison, WI 53719, USA
Sleep 32:719-29. 2009..skilled reaching, a task known to elicit long-term potentiation in the trained motor cortex, and immediately after learning measured SWA and cortical protein levels of c-fos and Arc, 2 activity-dependent genes involved in motor learning.
- Altered expression and modulation of activity-regulated cytoskeletal associated protein (Arc) in serotonin transporter knockout ratsRaffaella Molteni
Center of Neuropharmacology, Department of Pharmacological Sciences, Universita di Milano, Via Balzaretti 9, 20133 Milan, Italy
Eur Neuropsychopharmacol 19:898-904. 2009..and SERT(-/-)) to investigate abnormalities in the expression and function of the activity-regulated gene Arc (Activity-regulated cytoskeletal associated protein) and the early inducible gene Zif-268, (zinc finger binding ..
- Plasticity in the rat prefrontal cortex: linking gene expression and an operant learning with a computational theoryMaximiliano Rapanelli
Instituto de Biologia y Medicina Experimental CONICET, Laboratorio de Biologia del Comportamiento, Ciudad de Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires, Argentina
PLoS ONE 5:e8656. 2010..I, Calcium/calmodulin-dependent protein kinase II (CamKII), activity-regulated cytoskeleton-associated protein (Arc), c-jun and c-fos have been related to plasticity processes...
- Recent and remote memory recalls modulate different sets of stereotypical interlaminar correlations in Arc/Arg3.1 mRNA expression in cortical areasPavel A Gusev
Blanchette Rockefeller Neurosciences Institute, Rockville, MD 20850, USA
Brain Res 1352:118-39. 2010..We mapped Arc/Arg3...
- Nociceptive stimulation induces expression of Arc/Arg3.1 in the spinal cord with a preference for neurons containing enkephalinMehdi Hossaini
Dept, of Neuroscience, Erasmus University Medical Center, PO Box 2040, 3000 CA Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Mol Pain 6:43. 2010..The immediate early gene Arc/Arg3...
- Context-driven cocaine-seeking in abstinent rats increases activity-regulated gene expression in the basolateral amygdala and dorsal hippocampus differentially following short and long periods of abstinenceM C Hearing
Department of Neurosciences, Medical University of South Carolina, 173 Ashley Avenue, Charleston, SC 29245, USA
Neuroscience 170:570-9. 2010In this study, the expression patterns of zif268 and activity-regulated cytoskeleton-associated gene (arc) were investigated in the basolateral amygdala (BLA) and dorsal hippocampal (dHPC) subregions during context-induced drug-seeking ..
- Arc expression and neuroplasticity in primary auditory cortex during initial learning are inversely related to neural activityEzekiel P Carpenter-Hyland
Brain and Behavior Discovery Institute, Medical College of Georgia, Augusta, GA 30912, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:14828-32. 2010..After learning, Arc expression and physiologically measured neuroplasticity were strong in a high-frequency auditory cortex region with ..
- Suppression of activity-regulated cytoskeleton-associated gene expression in the dorsal striatum attenuates extinction of cocaine-seekingMatthew C Hearing
Department of Neurosciences and Neurobiology of Addiction Research Center, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, South Carolina, USA
Int J Neuropsychopharmacol 14:784-95. 2011..previously associated with cocaine, but not yoked-saline, increases activity-regulated cytoskeleton-associated (Arc) gene mRNA expression within the dorsolateral (dl) CPu following prolonged abstinence...
- [mRNA expression of activity-regulated cytoskeletal-associated protein in hippocampus induced by insular-kindled rats]Pei song Zhang
Department of Neurosurgery, Affiliated Hospital of Ningxia Medical University, Key Lab of Craniocerbral Diseases, Ningxia Hui Autonomous Region, Yinchuan 750004, China
Zhonghua Yi Xue Za Zhi 90:2782-6. 2010To investigate the expression of Arc mRNA in insular electrical kindled and single electrical stimulated rats and its significance.
- Post-training disruption of Arc protein expression in the anterior cingulate cortex impairs long-term memory for inhibitory avoidance trainingCrystal M Holloway
The University of Texas at Dallas, School of Behavioral and Brain Sciences, 800 West Campbell Road, Richardson, TX 75080 3021, USA
Neurobiol Learn Mem 95:425-32. 2011The activity-regulated-cytoskeletal-associated protein (Arc) has a well established role in memory consolidation and synaptic plasticity in the hippocampus and amygdala...
- c-Fos, Arc, and stargazin expression in rat eyeblink conditioningSoyun Kim
Neuroscience Program, University of Southern California, 3641 Watt Way, Los Angeles, CA 90089 2520, USA
Behav Neurosci 125:117-23. 2011..A significant increase in Stargazin expression was also identified in the whole cerebellum. These preliminary findings document possible molecular mechanisms underlying the establishment of memory in the mammalian cerebellum...
- Down-regulation of hippocampal BDNF and Arc associated with improvement in aversive spatial memory performance in socially isolated ratsMaria Giuseppina Pisu
C N R, Institute of Neuroscience, Cagliari 09100, Italy
Behav Brain Res 222:73-80. 2011..both brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) and activity-regulated cytoskeletal associated protein (Arc) in the hippocampus...
- Effect of brain-derived neurotrophic factor on activity-regulated cytoskeleton-associated protein gene expression in primary frontal cortical neurons. Comparison with NMDA and AMPAMona El-Sayed
Neurobiology Research Unit, Department of Nephrology and Endocrinology, University Hospital Rigshospitalet, Copenhagen, Denmark
Eur J Pharmacol 660:351-7. 2011The effect of brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) on activity-regulated cytoskeleton-associated protein (Arc) mRNA levels in primary neuronal cultures of rat frontal cortex was characterized pharmacologically and compared to the ..
- Expression of activity-regulated cytoskeleton-associated protein (Arc/Arg3.1) in the nucleus accumbens is critical for the acquisition, expression and reinstatement of morphine-induced conditioned place preferenceXiu Fang Lv
Neuroscience Research Institute and Department of Neurobiology, Peking University Health Science Center, Key Laboratory of Neuroscience, The Ministry of Education and Ministry of Public Health, Beijing 100191, PR China
Behav Brain Res 223:182-91. 2011Activity-regulated cytoskeleton-associated protein (Arc), also known as activity-regulated gene 3.1 (Arg3...
- The activity-regulated cytoskeletal-associated protein (Arc/Arg3.1) is required for reconsolidation of a Pavlovian fear memoryStephanie A Maddox
Department of Psychology and Interdepartmental Neuroscience Program, Yale University, New Haven, Connecticut 06520, USA
J Neurosci 31:7073-82. 2011The activity-regulated cytoskeletal-associated protein (Arc/Arg3...
- Schema-dependent gene activation and memory encoding in neocortexDorothy Tse
Centre for Cognitive and Neural Systems, University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh EH8 9JZ, UK
Science 333:891-5. 2011..These findings challenge the concept of distinct fast (hippocampal) and slow (cortical) learning systems, and shed new light on the neural mechanisms of memory assimilation into schemas...
- Use of Arc expression as a molecular marker of increased postsynaptic 5-HT function after SSRI/5-HT1A receptor antagonist co-administrationElena Castro
Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, University of Cantabria, Santander, Spain
J Neurochem 85:1480-7. 2003..postsynaptic 5-hydroxytryptamine (5-HT) function activates expression of activity-related cytoskeletal protein (Arc)...
- Estrogen Induced Neuroplasticity in the Lordosis PathwayLORI FLANAGAN CATO; Fiscal Year: 2004..The results of these studies may illuminate the effects of estrogen on neural function. ..