Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Apln
Alias: Apel, apelin, APJ endogenous ligand, apelin, AGTRL1 ligand
- Apelin, the natural ligand of the orphan receptor APJ, is abundantly secreted in the colostrumY Habata
Discovery Research Laboratories 1, Pharmaceutical Discovery Research Division, Takeda Chemical Industries, Ltd, Wadai 10, Tsukuba, Ibaraki, Japan
Biochim Biophys Acta 1452:25-35. 1999..Hinuma et al., Nature 393 (1998) 272-276], we have recently identified a natural ligand, apelin, for the orphan 7TMR, APJ [K. Tatemoto et al., Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 251 (1998) 471-476]...
- Apelin, an endogenous neuronal peptide, protects hippocampal neurons against excitotoxic injuryLauren A O'Donnell
Department of Neurology, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
J Neurochem 102:1905-17. 2007..We now demonstrate that the endogenous APJ peptide ligand apelin activates signaling pathways in rat hippocampal neurons and modulates neuronal survival...
- A possible role for hypoxia-induced apelin expression in enteric cell proliferationSong Han
Department of Surgery, University of Texas Medical Branch, 301 University Boulevard, Galveston, TX 77555, USA
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 294:R1832-9. 2008b>Apelin is the endogenous ligand for the APJ receptor, and apelin and APJ are expressed in the gastrointestinal (GI) tract. Intestinal inflammation increases intestinal hypoxia-inducible factor (HIF) and apelin expression...
- Apelin signaling modulates splanchnic angiogenesis and portosystemic collateral vessel formation in rats with portal hypertensionCarolina Tiani
Hepatic Hemodynamic Laboratory, Liver Unit, Institut d Investigacions Biomediques August Pi i Sunyer IDIBAPS, Hospital Clinic, CIBERehd, University of Barcelona, Villarroel 170, 08036 Barcelona, Spain
J Hepatol 50:296-305. 2009..The apelin/APJ signaling pathway plays a crucial role in angiogenesis...
- Apelin gene transfer into the rostral ventrolateral medulla induces chronic blood pressure elevation in normotensive ratsQi Zhang
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, North Dakota State University, 1401 Albrecht Blvd, Fargo, ND 58105, USA
Circ Res 104:1421-8. 2009The peripheral apelin system plays a significant role in cardiovascular homeostasis and in the pathophysiology of cardiovascular diseases...
- Hypoxia inducible factor regulates the cardiac expression and secretion of apelinVeli Pekka Ronkainen
Department of Physiology, University of Oulu and Biocenter Oulu, Finland
FASEB J 21:1821-30. 2007b>Apelin and its G-protein-coupled receptor APJ have various beneficial effects on cardiac function and blood pressure. The mechanisms that regulate apelin gene expression are not known...
- Interactions between apelin and angiotensin II on rat portal veinBogdan Gurzu
Faculty of Medicine, Department of Physiology, University of Medicine and Pharmacy Gr T Popa, 16 Universitatii Str, RO 700115 Iasi, Romania
J Renin Angiotensin Aldosterone Syst 7:212-6. 2006b>Apelin (AP), an endogenous ligand of the APJ receptor, is involved in the regulation of cardiovascular homeostasis. Regardless the multiple similarities between AP and angiotensin II (Ang II), their roles seem to be different...
- Apelin protects against cardiomyocyte apoptosis induced by glucose deprivationZhi Zhang
Department of Cardiology, First Affiliated Hospital, China Medical University, Shenyang, Liaoning 110001, China
Chin Med J (Engl) 122:2360-5. 2009Apoptosis is a major cause of ischemic heart dysfunction. Apelin, the endogenous ligand for the G-protein-coupled APJ receptor, has been reported to exert cardioprotective effects during myocardial injury...
- Down-regulation of cardiac apelin system in hypertrophied and failing hearts: Possible role of angiotensin II-angiotensin type 1 receptor systemYoshitaka Iwanaga
Department of Cardiovascular Medicine, Kyoto University Graduate School of Medicine, 54 Shogoinn kawahara cho Sakyo ku, Kyoto 606 8507, Japan
J Mol Cell Cardiol 41:798-806. 2006Cardiac apelin has recently been suggested to contribute to the pathophysiology of heart failure (HF) in humans. In animal experiments, its infusion acutely improved systolic as well as diastolic LV function...
- Exercise training promotes expression of apelin and APJ of cardiovascular tissues in spontaneously hypertensive ratsJing Zhang
Institute of Cardiovascular Research, Peking University First Hospital, Beijing 100034, China
Life Sci 79:1153-9. 2006Because apelin may play an important regulatory role in human cardiac dysfunction, we investigated alterations in cardiovascular content of apelin and its receptor, APJ, during hypertension and the effect of exercise training on the ..
- Apelin, orexin-A and leptin plasma levels in morbid obesity and effect of gastric bandingM V Heinonen
Department of Biotechnology Molecular Medicine, A I Virtanen Institute for Molecular Sciences, University of Kuopio, 70211 Kuopio, Finland
Regul Pept 130:7-13. 2005..In the present study we investigated basal plasma levels of apelin, orexin-A, and leptin in morbid obese patients...
- Effects of all-trans retinoic acid on orphan receptor APJ signaling in spontaneously hypertensive ratsJiu Chang Zhong
Center for Molecular Biology, Shantou University Medical College, Shantou, Guangdong 515041, China
Cardiovasc Res 65:743-50. 2005..To further validate effects of atRA on the cardiovascular GPCRs, the present study was designed to assess whether atRA will modulate orphan receptor APJ, a homologue of angiotensin II type 1 (AT(1)) receptor...
- Characterization of apelin, the ligand for the APJ receptorD K Lee
Department of Pharmacology, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Neurochem 74:34-41. 2000The apelin peptide was recently discovered and demonstrated to be the endogenous ligand for the G protein-coupled receptor, APJ...
- Molecular properties of apelin: tissue distribution and receptor bindingY Kawamata
Discovery Research Laboratories 1, Pharmaceutical Discovery Research Division, Takeda Chemical Industries, Ltd, Wadai 10, Tsukuba, 300 4293, Ibaraki, Japan
Biochim Biophys Acta 1538:162-71. 2001We analyzed the tissue distribution of apelin mRNA in rats by a quantitative reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction and that of immunoreactive apelin (ir-apelin) by an enzyme immunoassay (EIA) using a monoclonal antibody...
- Physiological role of a novel neuropeptide, apelin, and its receptor in the rat brainA Reaux
Institut National de la Sante et de la Recherche Medicale, Paris, France Laboratory of Neuromorphology, Faculty of Medicine Semmelweis University, Budapest, Hungary
J Neurochem 77:1085-96. 2001b>Apelin, a peptide recently isolated from bovine stomach tissue extracts, has been identified as the endogenous ligand of the human orphan APJ receptor...
- Isolation and characterization of a novel endogenous peptide ligand for the human APJ receptorK Tatemoto
Institute for Molecular and Cellular Regulation, Gunma University, Maebashi, 371 8512, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 251:471-6. 1998..By monitoring this activity, we isolated an APJ receptor ligand, designated apelin, from bovine stomach extracts...
- Apelin, a new enteric peptide: localization in the gastrointestinal tract, ontogeny, and stimulation of gastric cell proliferation and of cholecystokinin secretionGuiyun Wang
Department of Surgery, The University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, Texas 77555 0725, USA
Endocrinology 145:1342-8. 2004b>Apelin is a recently discovered peptide that is the endogenous ligand for the APJ receptor...
- Modification of the terminal residue of apelin-13 antagonizes its hypotensive actionDennis K Lee
Department of Pharmacology, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Endocrinology 146:231-6. 2005The apelin peptide is the endogenous ligand for the apelin G protein-coupled receptor...
- Apelin-13-induced proliferation and migration induced of rat vascular smooth muscle cells is mediated by the upregulation of Egr-1Qi Feng Liu
Department of Cardiology, The First Affiliated Hospital of Liaoning Medical University, Jinzhou 121001, China
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 439:235-40. 2013b>Apelin-13 plays an important role in the migration and proliferation of vascular smooth muscle cells (VSMCs); however, the underlying mechanisms are still unclear...
- Apelin-13 protects against myocardial infarction-induced myocardial fibrosisXuemin Zhang
Department of Cardiology, Shenyang First People s Hospital, Shenyang, Liaoning 110041, P R China
Mol Med Rep 13:5262-8. 2016Myocardial infarction is a serious health threat. Apelin is an endogenous ligand of angiotensin II receptor-like 1 (APJ) and the apelin/APJ system is associated with various types of heart disease...
- Central apelin mediates stress-induced gastrointestinal motor dysfunction in ratsMehmet Bulbul
Akdeniz University Faculty of Medicine Department of Physiology, Antalya, Turkey and
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 310:G249-61. 2016b>Apelin, an endogenous ligand for APJ receptor, has been reported to be upregulated in paraventricular nucleus (PVN) following stress. Central apelin is known to stimulate release of corticotropin-releasing factor (CRF) via APJ receptor...
- Apelin Controls Fetal and Neonatal Glucose Homeostasis and Is Altered by Maternal UndernutritionSylvain Mayeur
Unité Environnement Périnatal et Santé, Equipe d accueil 4489, équipe malnutrition maternelle et programmation des maladies métaboliques, Universite de Lille, Villeneuve d Ascq, France
Diabetes 65:554-60. 2016..Growing evidences indicate that apelin and its receptor, APJ, which are expressed across a wide range of tissues, exert important roles in glucose ..
- Apelin effects on blood pressure and RAS in DOCA-salt-induced hypertensive ratsRaziye Akcılar
Department of Physiology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Dumlupinar, Kutahya, Turkey
Clin Exp Hypertens 35:550-7. 2013b>Apelin, a novel multifunctional peptide implicated in the regulation of the cardiovascular system, including blood pressure and cardiac function control, has been postulated to be involved in the pathophysiology of hypertension and ..
- Apelin protects sarcoplasmic reticulum function and cardiac performance in ischaemia-reperfusion by attenuating oxidation of sarcoplasmic reticulum Ca2+-ATPase and ryanodine receptorChen Wang
Department of Cardiology, Xijing Hospital, The Fourth Military Medical University, ChangLeXi Road, Xi an 710032, China
Cardiovasc Res 100:114-24. 2013b>Apelin, an endogenous cytokine, has a number of biological effects on the cardiovascular system, including a cardioprotective effect and calcium modulation...
- Apelin-13 promotes cardiomyocyte hypertrophy via PI3K-Akt-ERK1/2-p70S6K and PI3K-induced autophagyFeng Xie
Institute of Pharmacy and Pharmacology, Learning Key Laboratory for Pharmacoproteomics, University of South China, Hengyang 421001, China
Acta Biochim Biophys Sin (Shanghai) 47:969-80. 2015b>Apelin is highly expressed in rat left ventricular hypertrophy Sprague Dawley rat models, and it plays a crucial role in the cardiovascular system...
- Early-effect of bariatric surgery (Scopinaro method) on intestinal hormones and adipokines in insulin resistant Wistar ratN Dib
Department of General, Oncological and Gastrointestinal Surgery, Orlowski Hospital MCPE, Warsaw, Poland
J Physiol Pharmacol 64:571-7. 2013..Concluding, model studies on rats allowed better understanding of mechanisms important for early normalization of glycemic index and insulin resistance reduction in rats. ..
- Decreased apelin and apelin-receptor expression in the pulmonary vasculature of nitrofen-induced congenital diaphragmatic herniaAlejandro D Hofmann
National Children s Research Centre, Our Lady s Children s Hospital, Crumlin, Dublin 12, Ireland
Pediatr Surg Int 30:197-203. 2014..b>Apelin (APLN), a target gene of bone morphogenic protein receptor 2 (BMPR2), is known to play an important and manifold ..
- Apelin-13 inhibits large-conductance Ca2+-activated K+ channels in cerebral artery smooth muscle cells via a PI3-kinase dependent mechanismAmit Modgil
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, North Dakota State University, Fargo, North Dakota, United States of America
PLoS ONE 8:e83051. 2013b>Apelin-13 causes vasoconstriction by acting directly on APJ receptors in vascular smooth muscle (VSM) cells; however, the ionic mechanisms underlying this action at the cellular level remain unclear...
- Regulation of apelin and its receptor expression in adipose tissues of obesity rats with hypertension and cultured 3T3-L1 adipocytesHongxian Wu
Department of Cardiology, Shanghai First People s Hospital, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Shanghai, P R China
Exp Anim 63:257-67. 2014The apelin/APJ system has been implicated in obesity-related hypertension...
- Biased signaling favoring gi over β-arrestin promoted by an apelin fragment lacking the C-terminal phenylalanineEmilie Ceraudo
From the Laboratory of Central Neuropeptides in the Regulation of Body Fluid Homeostasis and Cardiovascular Functions, INSERM U1050, Paris F 75005, France, the Center for Interdisciplinary Research in Biology, College de France, Paris F 75005, France, CNRS, UMR 7241, Paris F 75005, France, and
J Biol Chem 289:24599-610. 2014b>Apelin plays a prominent role in body fluid and cardiovascular homeostasis...
- Apelin-13 upregulates Egr-1 expression in rat vascular smooth muscle cells through the PI3K/Akt and PKC signaling pathwaysQi Feng Liu
Department of Cardiology, The First Affiliated Hospital of Liaoning Medical University, Jinzhou 121001, China
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 468:617-21. 2015Previous studies have shown that Apelin-13 upregulates early growth response factor-1 (Egr-1) via the extracellular signal-regulated protein kinase (ERK) signaling pathway...
- Apelin Enhances Brown Adipogenesis and Browning of White AdipocytesAung Than
From the Bioengineering Program, School of Chemical and Biomedical Engineering, Nanyang Technological University, 70 Nanyang Drive, Singapore 637457
J Biol Chem 290:14679-91. 2015..b>Apelin is an adipocyte-derived hormone that plays important roles in energy metabolism...
- High-fat diet and chronic stress reduce central pressor and tachycardic effects of apelin in Sprague-Dawley ratsAgnieszka Cudnoch-Jedrzejewska
Department of Experimental and Clinical Physiology, Laboratory of Centre for Preclinical Research, Medical University of Warsaw, Warsaw, Poland
Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol 42:52-62. 2015Central application of apelin elevates blood pressure and influences neuroendocrine responses to stress and food consumption...
- Investigation of changes in apelin receptor mRNA and protein expression in the myocardium and aorta of rats with two-kidney, one-clip (2K1C) Goldblatt hypertensionHamid Najafipour
Physiology Research Center, Institute of Neuropharmacology, Kerman University of Medical Sciences, Kerman, Iran
J Physiol Biochem 71:165-75. 2015Experimental and clinical evidences suggest that apelin and its receptor APJ are involved in the pathogenesis of cardiovascular complications. However, the role of apelin/APJ in hypertension is not sufficiently understood...
- Low plasma apelin levels in newly diagnosed type 2 diabetes mellitusG Erdem
Department of Internal Medicine, Gulhane School of Medicine, Etlik, Ankara, Turkey
Exp Clin Endocrinol Diabetes 116:289-92. 2008To investigate blood apelin concentrations in patients with newly diagnosed and untreated type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM) who had no additional disorder and to investigate the association of apelin with adiponectin, body mass indexes (BMI)..
- [Effect of puerarin combined with felodipine on mRNA and protein expression of apelin and APJ in renovascular hypertensive rat]Zhen Gui Huang
Department of Pharmacology and Pharmacology of Traditional Chinese Medicine Grade Three Laboratory, State Administration of Traditional Chinese Medicine of China, Wannan Medical College, Wuhu 241002, China
Zhongguo Zhong Yao Za Zhi 38:381-5. 2013To explore the effect of puerarin combined with felodipine on the mRNA and protein expression of apelin and APJ in renal tissue of renovascular hypertensive rat.
- [Effect of swimming exercise on the expression of apelin and its receptor in pulmonary tissues of rats with hypoxic pulmonary hypertension]Si Chen
Laboratory of Cor Pulmonale, Institute of Hypoxia Medicine, Wenzhou 325035, China
Zhongguo Ying Yong Sheng Li Xue Za Zhi 28:5-8. 2012To study the effects of swimming exercise on the expression of apelin and its receptor (APJ) system in pulmonary tissues of rats with pulmonary hypertension induced by hypoxia.
- Maternal hypertension induces tissue-specific modulations of the apelinergic system in the fetoplacental unit in ratJoanna Ivars
Univ Lille Nord de France, Unité Environnement Périnatal et Croissance, EA 4489, Equipe dénutritions maternelles périnatales, Universite de Lille 1, Bâtiment SN4, F 59655 Villeneuve d Ascq, France
Peptides 35:136-8. 2012b>Apelin and its receptor APJ are expressed in fetal tissues but their function and regulation remain largely unknown...
- Apelin supports primary rat retinal Müller cells under chemical hypoxia and glucose deprivationXin lei Wang
Department of Ophthalmology, People s Hospital, Peking University, and Key Laboratory of Vision Loss and Restoration, Ministry of Education, Beijing 100044, China
Peptides 33:298-306. 2012..The apelin peptide, as the endogenous ligand of G protein-coupled receptor APJ, participates in numbers of physiological and ..
- Apelin-12 stimulates acid secretion through an increase of histamine release in rat stomachsShino Ohno
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Saitama Medical Center, Saitama Medical University, Kawagoe City, Saitama, Japan
Regul Pept 174:71-8. 2012b>Apelin is a peptide that was originally isolated from bovine stomach extract and has been demonstrated to be an endogenous ligand for orphan receptor APJ. Both apelin and the APJ receptor are widely distributed in the whole body...
- Glomerular expression of apelin and its association with proteinuriaYan Bo
Department of Medical Technology, Anhui Medical College, Hefei, China
Indian J Pediatr 79:1028-32. 2012To investigate the distribution and expression of apelin in kidney of adriamycin (ADR)-induced nephrotic rats, and to explore the possible association of apelin expression with the development of proteinuria.
- Up-regulation of apelin in brain tissue of patients with epilepsy and an epileptic rat modelXiaogang Zhang
Department of Neurology, The First Affiliated Hospital of Chongqing Medical University, Chongqing Key Laboratory of Neurology, 1st Youyi Road, Chongqing 400016, China
Peptides 32:1793-9. 2011..The aim of this study was to investigate the expression of the apelin, a novel neuroprotective peptide, in brain tissues of the patients with temporal lobe epilepsy (TLE) and ..
- Apelin levels are increased in morbidly obese subjects with type 2 diabetes mellitusFederico Soriguer
Servicio de Endocrinologia y Nutricion, Hospital Regional Universitario Carlos Haya, Malaga, Spain
Obes Surg 19:1574-80. 2009The physiological role of apelin in obesity and diabetes remains unclear. Although apelin has been studied in persons with different conditions, no studies have yet examined the joint influence of obesity and diabetes on apelin levels...
- Apelin increases contractility in failing cardiac muscleTieying Dai
Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Tower 711, 600 N Wolfe Street, Baltimore, MD 21287, United States
Eur J Pharmacol 553:222-8. 2006b>Apelin, a ligand for apelin-angiotension receptor-like 1 (APJ), has recently been shown to be a potent positive inotropic agent in normal hearts...
- Regulation of rat APJ receptor messenger ribonucleic acid expression in magnocellular neurones of the paraventricular and supraopric nuclei by osmotic stimuliA M O'Carroll
University Research Centre for Neuroendocrinology, University of Bristol, Bristol, UK
J Neuroendocrinol 15:661-6. 2003The novel apelin receptor (APJ receptor, APJR) has a restricted expression in the central nervous system suggestive of an involvement in the regulation of body fluid homeostasis...
- Venous dilator effect of apelin, an endogenous peptide ligand for the orphan APJ receptor, in conscious ratsXing Cheng
Department of Pharmacology and Therapeutics, Faculty of Medicine, University of British Columbia, 2176 Health Sciences Mall, Vancouver, BC, Canada V6T 1Z3
Eur J Pharmacol 470:171-5. 2003b>Apelin is an endogenous depressor peptide for the G protein-coupled APJ receptor. Our hypothesis is that apelin is a venodilator, and it reduces mean circulatory filling pressure (MCFP; index of venous tone)...
- Intracerebroventricular injection of apelin-13 reduces food intake in the ratDavid Sunter
Department of Physiology, University of Cambridge, Downing Street, Cambridge CB2 3EG, UK
Neurosci Lett 353:1-4. 2003b>Apelin is a peptide recently identified as a ligand for the APJ receptor, a receptor located in tissues such as the small intestine and in the hypothalamus...
- Agonist-independent nuclear localization of the Apelin, angiotensin AT1, and bradykinin B2 receptorsDennis K Lee
Department of Pharmacology, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario M5S 1A8, USA
J Biol Chem 279:7901-8. 2004Signaling of the apelin, angiotensin, and bradykinin peptides is mediated by G protein-coupled receptors related through structure and similarities of physiological function...
- Dehydration-induced cross-regulation of apelin and vasopressin immunoreactivity levels in magnocellular hypothalamic neuronsAnnabelle Reaux-Le Goazigo
Department of Neurology and Neurosurgery, Montreal Neurological Institute, Room 896, 3801 University Street, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H3A 2B4
Endocrinology 145:4392-400. 2004b>Apelin, a neuropeptide recently identified as the endogenous ligand for the G protein-coupled receptor APJ, is highly concentrated in brain structures involved in the control of body fluid homeostasis including the supraoptic (SON) and ..
- Apelin, a potent diuretic neuropeptide counteracting vasopressin actions through inhibition of vasopressin neuron activity and vasopressin releaseNadia De Mota
Institut National de la Sante et de la Recherche Medicale, Unite 36, College de France, 75231 Paris, France
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101:10464-9. 2004b>Apelin, a recently isolated neuropeptide that is expressed in the supraoptic and the paraventricular nuclei, acts on specific receptors located on vasopressinergic neurons...
- Behavioral, neuroendocrine and thermoregulatory actions of apelin-13M Jászberényi
Department of Pathophysiology, University of Szeged, Neurohumoral Research Group, Hungarian Academy of Sciences, Semmelweis u 1, PO Box 427, H 6701, Szeged, Hungary
Neuroscience 129:811-6. 2004As the distribution of apelinergic neurons in the brain suggests an important role of apelin-13 in the regulation of neuroendocrine processes, in the present experiments the effects of this recently identified neuropeptide on the open-..
- Central and peripheral cardiovascular actions of apelin in conscious ratsShuntaro Kagiyama
Department of Medicine and Clinical Science, Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Kyushu University, Maidashi 3 1 1, Higashi ku, Fukuoka 812 8582, Japan
Regul Pept 125:55-9. 2005..b>Apelin is a peptide that has recently been identified as an endogenous ligand of the APJ...
- Apelin: a new plasma marker of cardiopulmonary diseaseJens Peter Goetze
Department of Clinical Biochemistry, Rigshospitalet, University of Copenhagen, 9 Blegdamsvej, DK 2100, Copenhagen, Denmark
Regul Pept 133:134-8. 2006..We therefore examined whether plasma concentrations of apelin, a novel inotropic hormone, is affected in patients with chronic parenchymal lung disease without cardiac ..
- Apelin protects myocardial injury induced by isoproterenol in ratsYue Xia Jia
Institute of Cardiovascular Research, Peking University First Hospital, Beijing 100034, China
Regul Pept 133:147-54. 2006We aimed to explore the change in level of apelin and its receptor APJ during myocardial injury and the therapeutic effects of apelin in myocardial injury...
- Reduced apelin levels in lone atrial fibrillationPatrick T Ellinor
Cardiac Arrhythmia Service and Cardiovascular Research Center, Massachusetts General Hospital, Charlestown, Boston, MA, USA
Eur Heart J 27:222-6. 2006b>Apelin is an endogenous peptide hormone that appears to have a physiological role in counter-regulation of the angiotensin and vasopressin systems...
- Apelin stimulates myosin light chain phosphorylation in vascular smooth muscle cellsTatsuo Hashimoto
Division of Cellular Pathobiology, Department of Pathology, Yokohama City University Graduate School of Medicine, Yokohama, 236 0004, Japan
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 26:1267-72. 2006Physiological roles of apelin and its specific receptor APJ signaling were investigated in vascular smooth muscle cells (VSMCs)...
- Effects of central and peripheral injections of apelin on fluid intake and cardiovascular parameters in ratsAnaya Mitra
Department of Psychology, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32611 2250, USA
Physiol Behav 89:221-5. 2006Previous studies have indicated that apelin, a novel peptide suggested to have some actions related to angiotensin peptides, has either a dipsogenic or an antidipsogenic effect and either increases or decreases blood pressure...
- Cellular localization of apelin and its receptor in the anterior pituitary: evidence for a direct stimulatory action of apelin on ACTH releaseAnnabelle Reaux-Le Goazigo
Institut National de la Sante et de la Recherche Medicale, Unité 691, College de France, 11 place Marcelin Berthelot, Paris, France
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 292:E7-15. 2007b>Apelin is a bioactive peptide recently identified as the endogenous ligand of the human orphan G protein-coupled receptor APJ...
- Ontogeny of apelin and its receptor in the rodent gastrointestinal tractGuiyun Wang
Department of Surgery, University of Texas Medical Branch, 301 University Boulevard, Galveston, Texas 77555, USA
Regul Pept 158:32-9. 2009b>Apelin is the endogenous ligand for the APJ receptor and both apelin and APJ are expressed in the gastrointestinal (GI) tract...
- Adiposity dependent apelin gene expression: relationships with oxidative and inflammation markersDiego García-Díaz
Department of Physiology and Nutrition, University of Navarra, C Irunlarrea s n, 31008, Pamplona, Spain
Mol Cell Biochem 305:87-94. 2007It has been reported that apelin functions as an adipokine, which has been associated to obesity and insulin resistance...
- Characterization of the 5'-regulatory regions of the rat and human apelin genes and regulation of breast apelin by USFGuiyun Wang
Department of Surgery, University of Texas Medical Branch, 301 University Blvd, Galveston, TX 77555, USA
FASEB J 20:2639-41. 2006b>Apelin, a peptide widely expressed in the body, is the endogenous ligand for the APJ receptor...
- Effect of apelin on glomerular hemodynamic function in the rat kidneyAnnette Hus-Citharel
INSERM, U 691, Paris, France
Kidney Int 74:486-94. 2008b>Apelin is a vasoactive peptide identified as the endogenous ligand of an orphan G protein-coupled receptor called APJ. Apelin and its receptor have been found in the brain and the cardiovascular system...
- The hepatic apelin system: a new therapeutic target for liver diseaseAlessandro Principe
Biochemistry and Molecular Genetics Service, Centro de Investigacion Biomedica en Red de Enfermedades Hepaticas y Digestivas CIBERehd, Hospital Clinic, University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Hepatology 48:1193-201. 2008b>Apelin is a peptide that plays an important role in heart physiology and pathophysiology, inflammation, and angiogenesis...
- Involvement of a Stat3 binding site in inflammation-induced enteric apelin expressionSong Han
Dept of Surgery, Univ of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX 77555, USA
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 295:G1068-78. 2008b>Apelin is the endogenous ligand for the APJ receptor; both are expressed in the gastrointestinal tract. Experimental colitis in rodents and inflammatory bowel disease in humans are associated with increased intestinal apelin production...
- Reduced apelin levels in stable anginaZhao Li
Department of Cardiology, The First Affiliated Hospital of China Medical University, Shenyang, China
Intern Med 47:1951-5. 2008To investigate the change in the plasma apelin level in patients with stable angina.
- Direct effects of apelin on cardiomyocyte contractility and electrophysiologyKlára Farkasfalvi
Heart Science Centre, Laboratory of Cell Electrophysiology, NHLI, Imperial College London, Harefield Hospital, Harefield, Middlesex UB9 6JH, UK
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 357:889-95. 2007b>Apelin, the ligand for the angiotensin receptor like-1, has been implicated in the pathogenesis of atrial fibrillation and heart failure...
- Apelin decreases myocardial injury and improves right ventricular function in monocrotaline-induced pulmonary hypertensionInes Falcao-Pires
Department of Physiology, Cardiovascular R and D Unit, Faculty of Medicine, University of Porto, 4200 319 Porto, Portugal
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 296:H2007-14. 2009We investigated the endogenous production of apelin and the cardiac and pulmonary effects of its chronic administration in monocrotaline (MCT)-induced pulmonary hypertension (PH)...
- Data supporting a new physiological role for brain apelin in the regulation of hypothalamic oxytocin neurons in lactating ratsLaurence Bodineau
Institut National de la Sante et de la Recherche Medicale, Paris F 75231, France
Endocrinology 152:3492-503. 2011b>Apelin is a bioactive peptide identified as the endogenous ligand of the human orphan G protein-coupled receptor APJ in 1998...
- Maternal apelin physiology during rat pregnancy: the role of the placentaT Van Mieghem
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Health Campus Gasthuisberg, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Herestraat 49, Leuven, Belgium
Placenta 31:725-30. 2010b>Apelin is a multifunctional peptide which is catabolized by the angiotensin-converting enzyme-related carboxypeptidase-2 (ACE2). The peptide is well known for its hemodynamic effects and its role in energy and fluid homeostasis...
- Ischemic heart failure enhances endogenous myocardial apelin and APJ receptor expressionPavan Atluri
Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Department of Surgery, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Cell Mol Biol Lett 12:127-38. 2007b>Apelin interacts with the APJ receptor to enhance inotropy. In heart failure, apelin-APJ coupling may provide a means of enhancing myocardial function...
- Correlation between plasma levels of apelin and myocardial hypertrophy in rats and humans: possible target for treatment?Ines Falcao-Pires
University of Porto, Department of Physiology, Cardiovascular R and D Unit, Faculty of Medicine, 4200 319 Porto, Portugal
Expert Opin Ther Targets 14:231-41. 2010..To investigate the effects of left ventricular (LV) pressure overload and diabetes on the apelinergic system...
- Increased colonic apelin production in rodents with experimental colitis and in humans with IBDSong Han
Department of Surgery, The University of Texas Medical Branch, 301 University Boulevard, Galveston, TX 77555 0725, USA
Regul Pept 142:131-7. 2007b>Apelin and its receptor, the APJ receptor, are expressed in the gastrointestinal tract...