Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Acan
Alias: Agc, Agc1, aggrecan core protein, CSPCP, aggrecan 1, aggrecan, structural proteoglycan of cartilage, cartilage-specific proteoglycan core protein
- Aggrecan glycoforms contribute to the molecular heterogeneity of perineuronal netsRussell T Matthews
Department of Neurobiology, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06520, USA
J Neurosci 22:7536-47. 2002..These results have important implications for the role of regulated microheterogeneity of glycosylation in the CNS...
- Enriched housing enhances recovery of limb placement ability and reduces aggrecan-containing perineuronal nets in the rat somatosensory cortex after experimental strokeAlexandre Madinier
Laboratory for Experimental Brain Research, Division of Neurosurgery, Department of Clinical Sciences, Lund University, Lund, Sweden
PLoS ONE 9:e93121. 2014..Modulating the PNN structure after ischemic damage may provide new therapies enhancing tactile/proprioceptive function after stroke. ..
- Persistent decrease in multiple components of the perineuronal net following status epilepticusPaulette A McRae
Division of Neurology, Department of Pediatrics, The Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, Philadelphia, PA, USA
Eur J Neurosci 36:3471-82. 2012..These studies are the foundation for future experiments to explore how loss of the PN following SE contributes to the development of epilepsy...
- In vivo bone-specific EphB4 overexpression in mice protects both subchondral bone and cartilage during osteoarthritisGladys Valverde-Franco
University of Montreal Hospital Research Centre, Quebec, Canada
Arthritis Rheum 64:3614-25. 2012..However, the specific in vivo role of this ephrin receptor in OA remains unknown. We investigated in mice the in vivo effect of bone-specific EphB4 overexpression on OA pathophysiology...
- Radiographic joint damage in rheumatoid arthritis is associated with differences in cartilage turnover and can be predicted by serum biomarkers: an evaluation from 1 to 4 years after diagnosisS M M Verstappen
Department of Rheumatology and Clinical Immunology, University Medical Center Utrecht, The Netherlands
Arthritis Res Ther 8:R31. 2006....
- A mutation in the variable repeat region of the aggrecan gene (AGC1) causes a form of spondyloepiphyseal dysplasia associated with severe, premature osteoarthritisLindsay Gleghorn
The Wellcome Trust Centre for Cell Matrix Research, The University of Manchester, Manchester, United Kingdom
Am J Hum Genet 77:484-90. 2005..1. This locus contains the gene AGC1, which encodes aggrecan, the core protein of the most abundant proteoglycan of cartilage...
- Combined microwave irradiation and intraarticular glutamine administration-induced HSP70 expression therapy prevents cartilage degradation in a rat osteoarthritis modelShinya Fujita
Department of Orthopaedics, Graduate School of Medical Science, Kyoto Prefectural University of Medicine, Kawaramachi Hirokoji, Kamigyo ku, Kyoto 602 8566, Japan
J Orthop Res 30:401-7. 2012..In the rat OA model, the severity of OA was significantly milder in a group receiving MW and Gln than in the control group. HSP70, stimulated by the combination of MW heat and Gln, may be involved in the suppression of OA progression...
- A candidate enhancer element responsible for high-level expression of the aggrecan gene in chondrocytesYuichi Ikeda
Tissue Regeneration Periodontology, Department of Bio Matrix, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, Tokyo 113 8549, Japan and Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Tohoku University School of Medicine, Sendai, Miyagi 980 8574, JapanTissue Regeneration Periodontology, Department of Bio Matrix, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, Tokyo 113 8549, Japan and Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Tohoku University School of Medicine, Sendai, Miyagi 980 8574, Japan
J Biochem 156:21-8. 2014..abundant expression of aggrecan by chondrocytes, we screened for enhancer elements in 130 kb of the aggrecan gene, Agc1, using a reporter assay system that we previously developed...
- Pentosan polysulfate decreases myocardial expression of the extracellular matrix enzyme ADAMTS4 and improves cardiac function in vivo in rats subjected to pressure overload by aortic bandingMaria Vistnes
Institute for Experimental Medical Research, Oslo University Hospital and University of Oslo, Oslo, Norway KG Jebsen Cardiac Research Center and Center for Heart Failure Research, University of Oslo, Oslo, Norway
PLoS ONE 9:e89621. 2014....
- An immunoaffinity liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry assay for detection of endogenous aggrecan fragments in biological fluids: Use as a biomarker for aggrecanase activity and cartilage degradationD R Dufield
Pfizer Global Research and Development, Andover, MA 01810, USA
Anal Biochem 406:113-23. 2010..These data suggest that the ARGS and AGEG biomarkers developed have potential as measures of aggrecanase activity in OA and may contribute to our understanding of OA pathology...
- Short stature, accelerated bone maturation, and early growth cessation due to heterozygous aggrecan mutationsOla Nilsson
Program in Developmental Endocrinology and Genetics O N, J C L, J B, Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 Center for Molecular Medicine and Pediatric Endocrinology Unit, Department of Women s and Children s Health O N, Karolinska Institutet and Karolinska University Hospital, SE 171 76 Stockholm, Sweden Program in Biological and Biomedical Sciences M H G, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115 Connecticut Children s Medical Center N D, Hartford, Connecticut 06106 Children s Hospital of Pittsburgh J P, D F, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15224 Division of Endocrinology M H G, C J, J N H, A D, Boston Children s Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 02115 Department of Genetics M H G, J N H, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115 and Program in Medical and Population Genetics J N H, A D, Broad Institute, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02142
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 99:E1510-8. 2014..Many children with idiopathic short stature have a delayed bone age. Idiopathic short stature with advanced bone age is far less common...
- Mice lacking link protein develop dwarfism and craniofacial abnormalitiesH Watanabe
Craniofacial Developmental Biology and Regeneration Branch, National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Nat Genet 21:225-9. 1999..These results indicate that LP is important for the formation of proteoglycan aggregates and normal organization of hypertrophic chondrocytes, and suggest that cartilage matrix has a role in chondrocyte differentiation and maturation...
- Silencing of tuberin enhances photoreceptor survival and function in a preclinical model of retinitis pigmentosa (an american ophthalmological society thesis)Stephen H Tsang
Institute of Human Nutrition, Department of Pathology and Cell Biology and the Department of Ophthalmology, Columbia University, New York, New York
Trans Am Ophthalmol Soc 112:103-15. 2014....
- Establishment of a novel dwarf rat strain: cartilage calcification insufficient (CCI) ratsMasami Tanaka
Department of Food and Nutrition, Junior College Division, The University of Aizu, Aizu Wakamatsu, Fukushima 965 8570, Japan
Exp Anim 64:121-8. 2015..We hypothesized that the principal characteristics of the dwarf rats were systemically induced by insufficient cartilage calcification in their long bones; thus, we named them cartilage calcification insufficient (CCI) rats. ..
- The heterozygous disproportionate micromelia (dmm) mouse: morphological changes in fetal cartilage precede postnatal dwarfism and compared with lethal homozygotes can explain the mild phenotypeRobert E Seegmiller
Department of Physiology and Developmental Biology, Brigham Young University, Provo, UT 84602, USA
J Histochem Cytochem 56:1003-11. 2008..Thus, intracellular entrapment of proalpha1(II) seems to be primarily responsible for the dominant-negative effect of the Dmm mutation in the expression of dwarfism...
- Mouse cartilage matrix deficiency (cmd) caused by a 7 bp deletion in the aggrecan geneH Watanabe
Laboratory of Developmental Biology, National Institute of Dental Research, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892
Nat Genet 7:154-7. 1994..DNA sequencing of the aggrecan gene identified a 7 bp deletion in exon 5 resulting in a severely truncated molecule. The finding of an aggrecan mutation in the cmd mouse confirms the critical role of aggrecan in cartilage formation...
- [Mechanism of Yiqi Huayu Bushen Recipe in treating cervical syndrome with kidney deficiency in rats]Jian chun Jiang
Institute of Spine, Longhua Hospital, Shanghai University of Traditional Chinese Medicine, Shanghai 200032, China
Zhong Xi Yi Jie He Xue Bao 6:1280-5. 2008..To research the action mechanism of Yiqi Huayu Bushen Recipe (YHBR), a compound of traditional Chinese herbal medicine, in treating cervical syndrome (CS) with kidney deficiency in rats...
- Transforming growth factor-β1 induces type II collagen and aggrecan expression via activation of extracellular signal-regulated kinase 1/2 and Smad2/3 signaling pathwaysYanhui Zhu
Department of Orthopaedics, Shanghai Ninth People s Hospital, Shanghai Jiao Tong University School of Medicine, Shanghai 201900, P R China
Mol Med Rep 12:5573-9. 2015..Therefore, the present study demonstrated that the ERK1/2 and Smad2/3 signaling pathways regulate type II collagen and aggrecan expression in rat chondrocytes...
- A rat tail temporary static compression model reproduces different stages of intervertebral disc degeneration with decreased notochordal cell phenotypeHiroaki Hirata
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Kobe University Graduate School of Medicine, 7 5 1 Kusunoki cho, Chuo Ku, Kobe, 650 0017, Japan
J Orthop Res 32:455-63. 2014....
- Stem cells protect the bronchial stump in rat, increasing Sox6, Col2a1, and Agc1 expressionPedro Llontop
Research Unit, Experimental Surgery, Hospital Universitario Dr Negrin, c Barranco de la Ballena, S N, 35010, Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Canary Islands, Spain
Lung 192:441-8. 2014..Our objective was to evaluate the effects of adipose-derived stem cells (ASCs) on the healing of the bronchial stump in an experimental animal model...
- Localization and developmental expression patterns of CSPG-cs56 (aggrecan) in normal and dystrophic retinas in two rat strainsLi Feng Chen
Southwest Hospital Southwest Eye Hospital, Third Military Medical University, Chongqing 400038, China
Exp Neurol 234:488-98. 2012....
- Retinoic acid and the transcription factor MafB act together and differentially to regulate aggrecan and matrix metalloproteinase gene expression in neonatal chondrocytesYao Zhang
Department of Nutritional Sciences, Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA 16802, USA
J Cell Biochem 114:471-9. 2013..These results support a role for MafB as a regulator of chondrocyte gene expression and matrix formation via control of aggrecan, MMP3 and MMP13 expression, and indicate an important role for RA in the regulation of MafB...
- Expression of alternatively spliced epidermal growth factor-like domains in aggrecans of different species. Evidence for a novel moduleC Fulop
Department of Biochemistry, Rush Presbyterian St Luke s Medical Center, Chicago, Illinois 60612
J Biol Chem 268:17377-83. 1993..Although the function of these domains is not understood, the uniform expression of the EGF2 domain may indicate a general role of this aggrecan module, while the expression of the EGF1 domain may reflect species specificity...
- Perinatal exposure to vitamin A differentially regulates chondrocyte growth and the expression of aggrecan and matrix metalloprotein genes in the femur of neonatal ratsYao Zhang
Department of Nutritional Sciences, Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA, USA
J Nutr 142:649-54. 2012..These results suggest that moderately high maternal VA intake combined with neonatal VARA supplementation can reduce the ratio of aggrecan:MMP, which may unfavorably alter early bone development...
- Substrate stiffness regulates apoptosis and the mRNA expression of extracellular matrix regulatory genes in the rat annular cellsYue Hui Zhang
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Xinhua Hospital, Shanghai Jiaotong University School of Medicine, China
Matrix Biol 30:135-44. 2011....
- The effect of running exercise on intervertebral disc extracellular matrix production in a rat modelHelena Brisby
Department of Orthopaedics, Sahlgrenska University Hospital, Gothenburg University, Gothenburg, Sweden
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 35:1429-36. 2010..Using a running rat model, the effects of physical exercise on cellular function and intervertebral disc (IVD) extracellular matrix were studied...
- MSC response to pH levels found in degenerating intervertebral discsKarin Wuertz
School of Engineering, University of Vermont, Burlington, Vermont, USA
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 379:824-9. 2009..As acidic pH levels are typical of increasingly degenerated discs, our findings demonstrate the importance of early interventions and predifferentiation when planning to use MSCs for reparative treatments...
- Schwann cell migration is integrin-dependent and inhibited by astrocyte-produced aggrecanFardad T Afshari
Department of Clinical Neurosciences, Cambridge University Centre for Brain Repair, University of Cambridge, Cambridge CB2 0PY, United Kingdom
Glia 58:857-69. 2010..We further show aggrecan mediates its effect by disruption of integrin function in Schwann cells, and that the inhibitory effects of aggrecan can overcome by activation of Schwann cell integrins...
- Cyclic acetal hydroxyapatite composites and endogenous osteogenic gene expression of rat marrow stromal cellsMinal Patel
Fischell Department of Bioengineering, University of Maryland, College Park, MD 20742, USA
J Tissue Eng Regen Med 4:422-36. 2010..Furthermore, we propose that studying gene expression patterns induced by the surrounding biomaterials environment is a fundamental step in the creation of engineered tissues...
- Isolation and characterization of multipotent rat tendon-derived stem cellsYun Feng Rui
Department of Orthopaedics and Traumatology, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong SAR, China
Tissue Eng Part A 16:1549-58. 2010....
- Effect of dynamic compressive loading and its combination with a growth factor on the chondrocytic phenotype of 3-dimensional scaffold-embedded chondrocytesKosei Ando
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Shiga University of Medical Science, Otsu, Shiga, Japan
Acta Orthop 80:724-33. 2009..We investigated the effect of mechanical loading and growth factors on reactivation of the 3D-embedded chondrocytes...
- Normoxic stabilization of HIF-1alpha drives glycolytic metabolism and regulates aggrecan gene expression in nucleus pulposus cells of the rat intervertebral diskAmit Agrawal
Dept of Orthopaedic Surgery, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, PA 19107, USA
Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 293:C621-31. 2007..Results of this study indicate that oxygen-independent stabilization of HIF-1alpha in nucleus pulposus cells is a metabolic adaptation that drives glycolysis and aggrecan expression...
- Complete primary structure of the rat cartilage proteoglycan core protein deduced from cDNA clonesK Doege
Laboratory of Developmental Biology and Anomalies, National Institute of Dental Research, Bethesda, Maryland 20892
J Biol Chem 262:17757-67. 1987..The first pattern is the more highly conserved, and may have given rise to the second. The carboxyl-terminal domain is a third globule which has homology with animal lectins...
- Cartilage proteoglycan aggregates. The link protein and proteoglycan amino-terminal globular domains have similar structuresP J Neame
Department Medicine, University of Alabama, Birmingham 35294
J Biol Chem 262:17768-78. 1987..We have deduced the positions of all of the disulfide bonds in the hyaluronic acid binding region and find them to be in the same positions as would be expected from comparison of these sequences with link protein...
- Inhibitory effects of PG-H/aggrecan and PG-M/versican on avian neural crest cell migrationR Perris
Reference Center for Oncology, Division of Experimental Oncology 2, Aviano, Italy
FASEB J 10:293-301. 1996....
- Dwarfism and age-associated spinal degeneration of heterozygote cmd mice defective in aggrecanH Watanabe
Craniofacial Developmental Biology and Regeneration Branch, National Institute of Dental Research, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892 4370, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 94:6943-7. 1997..Electron microscopy showed a degeneration of disc chondrocytes in the heterozygotes. These findings may facilitate the identification of mutations in humans predisposed to spinal degeneration...
- White matter extracellular matrix chondroitin sulfate/dermatan sulfate proteoglycans in multiple sclerosisR A Sobel
Department of Pathology, Stanford University School of Medicine, California 94305, USA
J Neuropathol Exp Neurol 60:1198-207. 2001..Thus, ECM PG alterations are specific, temporally dynamic, and widespread in MS patients and may play critical roles in lesion pathogenesis and CNS dysfunction...
- A remote upstream element regulates tissue-specific expression of the rat aggrecan geneKurt Doege
Department of Biochemistry, College of Medicine, University of South Florida, Tampa, Florida 33612, USA
J Biol Chem 277:13989-97. 2002..This is the first report of a gene control region which confers authentic tissue-specific regulation of aggrecan in vitro or in vivo and should greatly facilitate understanding the coordinate regulation of chondrocytic genes...
- ADAMTS1 cleaves aggrecan at multiple sites and is differentially inhibited by metalloproteinase inhibitorsJuan Carlos Rodriguez-Manzaneque
Department of Molecular, Cell and Developmental Biology, Molecular Biology Institute, University of California at Los Angeles, 611, Charles E Young Drive, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 293:501-8. 2002..Finally, we developed an activity assay using an artificial peptide substrate based on the interglobular domain cleavage site (E(373)-A) of rat aggrecan...
- Localization of aggrecan and versican in the developing rat central nervous systemSusanna Popp
Department of Pharmacology, New York University Medical Center, New York, New York 10016, USA
Dev Dyn 227:143-9. 2003..Differences in the localization and temporal expression patterns of these chondroitin sulfate proteoglycans suggest that, like neurocan and phosphacan, they have partially complementary roles during central nervous system development...
- Intact aggrecan and chondroitin sulfate-depleted aggrecan core glycoprotein inhibit axon growth in the adult rat spinal cordMichele L Lemons
Department of Pharmacology and Therapeutics and Center for Research in Pediatric Orthopedics, Shriners Hospital, University of South Florida, Tampa, FL 33612, USA
Exp Neurol 184:981-90. 2003....
- Structural basis for interactions between tenascins and lectican C-type lectin domains: evidence for a crosslinking role for tenascinsAnna Lundell
Department of Molecular Biophysics, Lund University, Box 124, S 221 00 Lund, Sweden
Structure 12:1495-506. 2004..Comparison of the protein interaction surface with that of P-selectin in complex with the PGSL-1 peptide suggests that direct protein-protein interactions of Ca(2+)-binding CLDs may be more widespread than previously appreciated...
- Upregulation of aggrecan, link protein 1, and hyaluronan synthases during formation of perineuronal nets in the rat cerebellumDaniela Carulli
Cambridge Centre for Brain Repair, University of Cambridge, Cambridge CB2 2PY, UK
J Comp Neurol 501:83-94. 2007..These data suggest that aggrecan, HA, and, particularly, Crtll might be crucial elements for the initial assembly of PNNs...
- Sustained expression of proteoglycans and collagen type III/type I ratio in a calcified tendinopathy modelPauline Po Yee Lui
Department of Orthopaedics and Traumatology, Faculty of Medicine, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong SAR, China
Rheumatology (Oxford) 49:231-9. 2010....
- Effects of reloading after simulated microgravity on proteoglycan metabolism in the nucleus pulposus and anulus fibrosus of the lumbar intervertebral disc: an experimental study using a rat tail suspension modelHiroki Yasuoka
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, National Defense Medical College, Saitama, Japan
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 32:E734-40. 2007..An experiment to measure proteoglycan (PG) content and PG-related gene mRNA expressions in the lumbar intervertebral disc (IVD) of rats tail-suspended (TS) for up to 6 weeks with subsequent reloading...
- Androgen-regulated cervical ripening: a structural, biomechanical, and molecular analysisHuiling Ji
Section of Maternal Fetal Medicine, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Women and Infants Hospital of Rhode Island, Brown University, Providence, RI, USA
Am J Obstet Gynecol 198:543.e1-9. 2008..Evidence suggests that androgens may play a role in the cervix. We hypothesized that androgens directly regulate cervical remodeling by altering both collagen structure and proteoglycan composition...
- Distribution and synthesis of extracellular matrix proteoglycans, hyaluronan, link proteins and tenascin-R in the rat spinal cordClare M Galtrey
Cambridge Centre for Brain Repair, Department of Clinical Neurosciences, University of Cambridge, Robinson Way, Cambridge, CB2 2PY, UK
Eur J Neurosci 27:1373-90. 2008..During postnatal development the expression of link protein and aggrecan mRNA is up-regulated at the time of PNN formation, and these molecules may therefore trigger their formation...
- Differential regulation of chondroitin sulfate proteoglycan mRNAs in the denervated rat fascia dentata after unilateral entorhinal cortex lesionRuth Schäfer
Institute of Clinical Neuroanatomy, Johann Wolfgang Goethe University, Theodor Stern Kai 7, D 60590 Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Neurosci Lett 439:61-5. 2008....
- Simvastatin stimulates chondrogenic phenotype of intervertebral disc cells partially through BMP-2 pathwayHuina Zhang
Spine Research Laboratory, Department of Neurosurgery, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 2200, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 33:E525-31. 2008..In vitro experiment to study the effect of simvastatin on rat intervertebral disc (IVD) cells...
- Behavior of mesenchymal stem cells in the chemical microenvironment of the intervertebral discKarin Wuertz
Spine Bioengineering Lab, School of Engineering, University of Vermont, VT 05401, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 33:1843-9. 2008..OBJECTIVE.: To determine the microenvironmental conditions of the IVD that are critical for MSC-based tissue repair and to determine whether MSCs from different age groups respond differently...
- Effects of in vivo static compressive loading on aggrecan and type II and X collagens in the rat growth plate extracellular matrixMathilde Cancel
Department of Mechanical Engineering, Ecole Polytechnique de Montreal, P O Box 6079, Station Centre Ville, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H3C 3A7
Bone 44:306-15. 2009....
- Partial cDNA sequence encoding a globular domain at the C terminus of the rat cartilage proteoglycanK Doege
J Biol Chem 261:8108-11. 1986..The clone extends into a region where serines are clustered, probably the start of the chondroitin sulfate-rich region...
- Microarray cluster analysis of irradiated growth plate zones following laser microdissectionTimothy A Damron
SUNY Upstate Medical University, Syracuse, NY, USA
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 74:949-56. 2009..Genes and pathways involved in early growth plate chondrocyte recovery after fractionated irradiation were sought as potential targets for selective radiorecovery modulation...
- PI3K/AKT regulates aggrecan gene expression by modulating Sox9 expression and activity in nucleus pulposus cells of the intervertebral discChin Chang Cheng
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19107, USA
J Cell Physiol 221:668-76. 2009..Results of these studies demonstrate for the first time that PI3K/AKT signaling controls aggrecan gene expression, in part by modulating Sox9 expression and activity in cells of the nucleus pulposus...
- Influence of aging on chondroitin sulfate proteoglycan expression and neural stem/progenitor cells in rat brain and improving effects of a herbal medicine, yokukansanY Tanaka
Section of Oriental Medicine, Department of Geriatric Medicine, National Institute for Longevity Sciences, National Center for Geriatrics and Gerontology NCGG, 36 3 Gengo, Morioka, Obu, Aichi 474 8522, Japan
Neuroscience 164:1224-34. 2009..These findings help to understand the physiology and pathology of the aged brain and provide an anti-aging strategy for the brain...
- Pathogenesis of Osteoarthritis in Col2a1 Mutant MiceRobert Seegmiller; Fiscal Year: 2002..The overall objective is to establish Dmm/+ mice as an animal model of OA in which various therapies can be tested to determine whether they prevent OA initiation or progression...
- GROWTH PLATE CELLULAR FUNCTION FOLLOWING RADIOTHERAPYTimothy Damron; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..