Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Wnt1
Description: wingless-type MMTV integration site family, member 1
Alias: Int-1, Wnt-1, swaying, proto-oncogene Wnt-1, proto-oncogene Int-1, proto-oncogene protein Wnt-1, wingless-related MMTV integration site 1
Publications172 found, 100 shown here
- Wrch-1, a novel member of the Rho gene family that is regulated by Wnt-1W Tao
Department of Molecular Biology, Princeton University, Princeton, New Jersey 08544, USA
Genes Dev 15:1796-807. 2001..Taken together, Wrch-1 could mediate the effects of Wnt-1 signaling in the regulation of cell morphology, cytoskeletal organization, and cell proliferation...
- Targeted disruption of the murine int-1 proto-oncogene resulting in severe abnormalities in midbrain and cerebellar developmentK R Thomas
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Department of Biology and Human Genetics, Salt Lake City, Utah 84112
Nature 346:847-50. 1990....
- Carcinogenesis in mouse stomach by simultaneous activation of the Wnt signaling and prostaglandin E2 pathwayHiroko Oshima
Division of Genetics, Cancer Research Institute, Kanazawa University, 13 1 Takara machi, Kanazawa 920 0934, Japan
Gastroenterology 131:1086-95. 2006..To investigate the role of Wnt and PGE(2) in gastric cancer, we have generated transgenic mice that activate both pathways and examined their phenotypes...
- The midbrain-hindbrain phenotype of Wnt-1-/Wnt-1- mice results from stepwise deletion of engrailed-expressing cells by 9.5 days postcoitumA P McMahon
Department of Cell and Developmental Biology, Roche Institute of Molecular Biology, Roche Research Center, Nutley, New Jersey 07110
Cell 69:581-95. 1992..We suggest that functional redundancy between these two genes accounts for the lack of a caudal central nervous system phenotype...
- Migratory routes and fates of cells transcribing the Wnt-1 gene in the murine hindbrainDavid H Nichols
Department of Biomedical Sciences, Creighton University, Omaha, Nebraska 68178, USA
Dev Dyn 235:285-300. 2006..The present results will permit analyses of the effects of genetic manipulations on Wnt-1 lineage cells...
- G alpha o mediates WNT-JNK signaling through dishevelled 1 and 3, RhoA family members, and MEKK 1 and 4 in mammalian cellsRama Kamesh Bikkavilli
Department of Pharmacology, Health Sciences Center, State University of New York at Stony Brook, Stony Brook, NY 11794 8651, USA
J Cell Sci 121:234-45. 2008..These data reveal both common and unique signaling elements in WNT3a-sensitive pathways, highlighting crosstalk from WNT3a-JNK to WNT3a-beta-catenin signaling...
- Motor neurons with axial muscle projections specified by Wnt4/5 signalingDritan Agalliu
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Kavli Institute for Brain Science, Departments of Neuroscience and Biochemistry and Molecular Biophysics, Columbia University Medical Center, New York, NY 10032, USA
Neuron 61:708-20. 2009..Thus, two dorsoventral signaling pathways, mediated by Shh and Wnt4/5, are required to establish an early binary divergence in motor neuron columnar identity...
- Effects of Wnt1 signaling on proliferation in the developing mid-/hindbrain regionMarkus Panhuysen
Institute of Developmental Genetics, GSF Research Center for Environment and Health, 85764 Neuherberg, Germany
Mol Cell Neurosci 26:101-11. 2004The secreted glycoprotein WNT1 is expressed in the caudal midbrain and is essential for proper development of the entire mid-/hindbrain region...
- Mechanisms of Wnt signaling in developmentA Wodarz
Institut fur Genetik, Universitat Dusseldorf, Germany
Annu Rev Cell Dev Biol 14:59-88. 1998..Here we review recent data that have started to unravel the mechanisms of Wnt signaling...
- The iron exporter ferroportin 1 is essential for development of the mouse embryo, forebrain patterning and neural tube closureJinzhe Mao
Center for Neuroscience Research, Children s Research Institute, Children s National Medical Center, Washington, DC 20010, USA
Development 137:3079-88. 2010..Finally, we demonstrate that this loss of forebrain maintenance is due in part to the iron deficiency that results from the absence of fully functional Fpn1...
- Deletion of mouse Porcn blocks Wnt ligand secretion and reveals an ectodermal etiology of human focal dermal hypoplasia/Goltz syndromeJared J Barrott
Department of Human Genetics, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT 84112, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 108:12752-7. 2011..Conditional deletion of Porcn thus provides an experimental model of FDH, as well as a valuable tool to probe Wnt ligand function in vivo...
- MesP1 drives vertebrate cardiovascular differentiation through Dkk-1-mediated blockade of Wnt-signallingR David
Medizinische Klinik und Poliklinik I, Klinikum Grosshadern der LMU, D 81377 Munchen, Germany
Nat Cell Biol 10:338-45. 2008..This may also provide a tool to elicit cardiac transdifferentiation in native human adult stem cells...
- Mouse mammary tumor virus infection accelerates mammary carcinogenesis in Wnt-1 transgenic mice by insertional activation of int-2/Fgf-3 and hst/Fgf-4G M Shackleford
Division of Hematology Oncology, Childrens Hospital Los Angeles, CA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 90:740-4. 1993....
- Stromelysin-1 and mesothelin are differentially regulated by Wnt-5a and Wnt-1 in C57mg mouse mammary epithelial cellsMary G Prieve
Department of Pharmacology, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, and Center for Developmental Biology, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
BMC Dev Biol 3:2. 2003..Many downstream target genes of the Wnt/beta-catenin pathway have been identified. In contrast, little is known about the Wnt/Ca2+ pathway and whether it regulates gene expression...
- Transcriptional activation of cyclooxygenase-2 in Wnt-1-transformed mouse mammary epithelial cellsL R Howe
Strang Cancer Research Laboratory, The Rockefeller University, New York, New York 10021, USA
Cancer Res 59:1572-7. 1999..In view of the critical role of cyclooxygenase-2 in intestinal tumorigenesis, cyclooxygenase-2 up-regulation in response to Wnt signaling may contribute to Wnt-induced mammary carcinogenesis...
- Attenuation of WNT signaling by DKK-1 and -2 regulates BMP2-induced osteoblast differentiation and expression of OPG, RANKL and M-CSFKen ichi Fujita
Laboratory of Genetics, Center for Cancer Research, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
Mol Cancer 6:71. 2007....
- Expression of the int-1 gene in transgenic mice is associated with mammary gland hyperplasia and adenocarcinomas in male and female miceA S Tsukamoto
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, University of California, San Francisco 94143
Cell 55:619-25. 1988..Mammary and (less frequently) salivary adenocarcinomas occur in these animals at rates indicating that transcriptional activation of int-1 and associated hyperplasia are initiating events in multistep carcinogenesis...
- Differential sensitivity of v-Myb and c-Myb to Wnt-1-induced protein degradationChie Kanei-Ishii
Laboratory of Molecular Genetics, RIKEN Tsukuba Institute, 3 1 1 Koyadai, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305 0074, Japan
J Biol Chem 279:44582-9. 2004..The relative resistance of v-Myb to Wnt-1-induced degradation may explain, at least in part, the differential transforming capacity of v-Myb versus c-Myb...
- Regulation of osteoblastogenesis and bone mass by Wnt10bChristina N Bennett
Department of Molecular and Integrative Physiology, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 0622, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:3324-9. 2005..Finally, Wnt10b-/- mice have decreased trabecular bone and serum osteocalcin, confirming that Wnt10b is an endogenous regulator of bone formation...
- Hydrocephalus and abnormal subcommissural organ in mice lacking presenilin-1 in Wnt1 cell lineagesMitsunari Nakajima
Department of Pharmaceutical Pharmacology, School of Clinical Pharmacy, College of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Matsuyama University, 4 2 Bunkyo cho, Matsuyama 790 8578, Ehime, Japan
Brain Res 1382:275-81. 2011..To further investigate the role of PS1 in the brain, we inactivated the PS1 gene in Wnt1 cell lineages using the Cre-loxP recombination system...
- Wnt-1-inducing factor-1: a novel G/C box-binding transcription factor regulating the expression of Wnt-1 during neuroectodermal differentiationR St-Arnaud
Genetics Unit, Shriners Hospital for Crippled Children, Quebec, Canada
Mol Cell Biol 13:1590-8. 1993..Our data suggest that WiF-1 is a novel G/C box-binding transcription factor and support a physiological role for WiF-1 in the developmentally regulated expression of Wnt-1...
- Wnt-1 promotes neuronal differentiation and inhibits gliogenesis in P19 cellsK Tang
Laboratory of Molecular Cell Biology, Institute of Biochemistry and Cell Biology, Shanghai Institutes for Biological Sciences, Chinese Academy of Sciences, 320 Yue Yang Road, Shanghai 200031, China
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 293:167-73. 2002..These results suggest that the Wnt-1 gene promotes neuronal differentiation and inhibits gliogenesis during the neural differentiation of P19 cells, and that neural bHLH genes might be involved in this process...
- Murine Nr4a1 and Herpud1 are up-regulated by Wnt-1, but the homologous human genes are independent from beta-catenin activationSlava Chtarbova
Arbeitsgruppe Tumorgenetik, Max Planck Institut fur molekulare Physiologie, Otto Hahn Strasse 11, D 44227 Dortmund, Germany
Biochem J 367:723-8. 2002..These results indicate different regulation mechanisms of the two genes in murine and human cells...
- Congenital hydrocephalus associated with abnormal subcommissural organ in mice lacking huntingtin in Wnt1 cell lineagesPaula Dietrich
Department of Physiology, The University of Tennessee, Health Science Center, Memphis, TN 38163, USA
Hum Mol Genet 18:142-50. 2009..To further investigate the role of htt in these processes, we have inactivated the Hdh gene in Wnt1 cell lineages using the Cre-loxP system of recombination...
- Leptin deficiency suppresses MMTV-Wnt-1 mammary tumor growth in obese mice and abrogates tumor initiating cell survivalQiao Zheng
Department of Cell Biology, Lerner Research Institute, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, 9500 Euclid Avenue, NC10, Cleveland, Ohio 44195, USA
Endocr Relat Cancer 18:491-503. 2011..These studies provide critical new insight on the role of leptin in tumor growth and implicate LepRb as a CSC target...
- The Wnt-1 (int-1) oncogene promoter and its mechanism of activation by insertion of proviral DNA of the mouse mammary tumor virusR Nusse
Division of Molecular Biology, The Netherlands Cancer Institute, Amsterdam
Mol Cell Biol 10:4170-9. 1990..Most insertions have not structurally altered the Wnt-1 transcripts and have enhanced the activity of the normal two promoters...
- Two proto-oncogenes implicated in mammary carcinogenesis, int-1 and int-2, are independently regulated during mouse developmentA Jakobovits
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 83:7806-10. 1986..Thus, these two proto-oncogenes, activated during mammary carcinogenesis by the same mechanisms, are normally expressed at different times and places in embryonic and adult mice...
- int-1--a proto-oncogene involved in cell signallingA P McMahon
Department of Cell and Developmental Biology, Roche Institute of Molecular Biology, Nutley, NJ 07110
Development 107:161-7. 1989..This results in a striking and specific aberration, bifurcation of the anterior neural tube. Thus, it seems possible that in vertebrates int-1 is able to influence patterning events...
- Development of midbrain and anterior hindbrain ocular motoneurons in normal and Wnt-1 knockout miceB Fritzsch
Department of Biomedical Sciences, Creighton University, Omaha, Nebraska 68178, USA
J Neurobiol 27:457-69. 1995..Thus, the Wnt-1-/- mutation precludes formation or survival of midbrain and anterior hindbrain neurons, including oculomotor and trochlear motoneurons...
- Involvement of Wnt-1 in the formation of the mes/metencephalic boundaryL Bally-Cuif
INSERM U106, Hopital de la Salpetriere, Paris, France
Mech Dev 53:23-34. 1995....
- Expression of the proto-oncogene int-1 is restricted to postmeiotic male germ cells and the neural tube of mid-gestational embryosG M Shackleford
Cell 50:89-95. 1987..Our findings suggest that int-1 mediates developmental events at these two sites...
- beta-Catenin regulates intercellular signalling networks and cell-type specific transcription in the developing mouse midbrain-rhombomere 1 regionDmitri Chilov
Institute of Biotechnology, University of Helsinki, Helsinki, Finland
PLoS ONE 5:e10881. 2010..Interestingly, stabilization of beta-catenin rapidly caused down-regulation of the expression of Wnt1 itself, suggesting a negative feedback loop...
- Expression patterns of the homeo box-containing genes En-1 and En-2 and the proto-oncogene int-1 diverge during mouse developmentC A Davis
Division of Molecular and Developmental Biology, Mount Sinai Hospital Research Institute, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Genes Dev 2:1736-44. 1988..Later in development the En genes may have an additional function in neurogenesis. En-1 expression in the developing pericordal tube suggests that it may also be involved in vertebral assembly...
- Wnt-1-dependent regulation of local E-cadherin and alpha N-catenin expression in the embryonic mouse brainK Shimamura
Department of Biophysics, Faculty of Science, Kyoto University, Japan
Development 120:2225-34. 1994..This mechanism may contribute to the patterning of the expression of these adhesion-related proteins in the embryonic brain...
- An LDL-receptor-related protein mediates Wnt signalling in miceK I Pinson
Department of Molecular and Cell Biology, University of California, Berkeley 94720, USA
Nature 407:535-8. 2000..Furthermore, we show a genetic enhancement of a Wnt mutant phenotype in mice lacking one functional copy of LRP6. Together, our results support a broad role for LRP6 in the transduction of several Wnt signals in mammals...
- A new nomenclature for int-1 and related genes: the Wnt gene familyR Nusse
Cell 64:231. 1991
- The Drosophila homolog of the mouse mammary oncogene int-1 is identical to the segment polarity gene winglessF Rijsewijk
Cell 50:649-57. 1987..We show that Dint-1 and the segment polarity gene wingless are identical and map to the same location. The sequence of the gene suggests that the Dint-1/wingless protein functions in morphogenesis as a signal in cell-cell communication...
- A single homeodomain binding site restricts spatial expression of Wnt-1 in the developing brainN Iler
Center for Advanced Biotechnology and Medicine, Piscataway, NJ 08854, USA
Mech Dev 53:87-96. 1995..e., Dix2, Emx2) interact specifically with HBS1. These findings suggest that these (or related) homeodomain proteins may regulate expression of Wnt-1 during normal brain development by interacting with the HBS1 site in the Wnt-1 enhancer...
- Induction of a beta-catenin-LEF-1 complex by wnt-1 and transforming mutants of beta-cateninE Porfiri
Onyx Pharmaceuticals, Richmond, California 94806, USA
Oncogene 15:2833-9. 1997..The results suggest that a cancer pathway driven by wnt-1, or mutant forms of beta-catenin, may involve the formation of a persistent transcriptionally active complex of beta-catenin and LEF1...
- Notch4 and Wnt-1 proteins function to regulate branching morphogenesis of mammary epithelial cells in an opposing fashionH Uyttendaele
Department of Pathology, Columbia University, College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, New York 10032, USA
Dev Biol 196:204-17. 1998..These data suggest that Wnt and Notch signaling may play opposite roles in mammary gland development, a finding consistent with the convergence of the wingless and Notch signaling pathways found in Drosophila...
- R-spondin, a novel gene with thrombospondin type 1 domain, was expressed in the dorsal neural tube and affected in Wnts mutantsTomoyuki Kamata
Department of Neurology and Neurological Science, Graduate School of Tokyo Medical and Dental University, Japan
Biochim Biophys Acta 1676:51-62. 2004..R-spondin might be a novel marker of the boundary between the roof plate and neuroepithelium and may contribute to the development of dorsal neural tube under the regulation of Wnts...
- Expression of multiple novel Wnt-1/int-1-related genes during fetal and adult mouse developmentB J Gavin
Roche Institute of Molecular Biology, Hoffmann La Roche, Roche Research Center, Nutley, New Jersey 07110
Genes Dev 4:2319-32. 1990..All new Wnt family members are expressed in adult tissues, particularly in brain and lung. These data support the view that the Wnt-1/int-1 family constitutes a large family of signaling peptides with diverse roles in mouse development...
- Pax-2 expression in the murine neural plate precedes and encompasses the expression domains of Wnt-1 and En-1D H Rowitch
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA 02138, USA
Mech Dev 52:3-8. 1995..Pax-5 expression commences later, at the 3-somite stage. Thus, the spatial and temporal expression of Pax-2 is consistent with a possible regulatory role in the activation of Wnt-1 and En-1...
- Antisense attenuation of Wnt-1 and Wnt-3a expression in whole embryo culture reveals roles for these genes in craniofacial, spinal cord, and cardiac morphogenesisK Augustine
Department of Cell Biology and Anatomy, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill 27599
Dev Genet 14:500-20. 1993....
- Activity of Wnt-1 as a transmembrane proteinN T Parkin
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, University of California, San Francisco 94143 0502
Genes Dev 7:2181-93. 1993..These results show that tethering Wnt-1 to the cell surface still allows Wnt-1-mediated cell-to-cell signaling...
- Activation of both Wnt-1 and Fgf-3 by insertion of mouse mammary tumor virus downstream in the reverse orientation: a reappraisal of the enhancer insertion modelN Clausse
Imperial Cancer Research Fund Laboratories, London, United Kingdom
Virology 194:157-65. 1993..These structural alterations can be reconciled with the enhancer insertion model by postulating that the viral enhancer can only function if it is not transcribed...
- Control of cell pattern in the neural tube by the zinc finger transcription factor and oncogene Gli-1M Hynes
Department of Neuroscience, Genentech, Inc, South San Francisco, California 94080, USA
Neuron 19:15-26. 1997..These findings demonstrate that GLI-1 can reproduce the cell patterning actions of Shh in the developing nervous system and provide support for the hypothesis that it is a mediator of the Shh signal in vertebrates...
- Wnt signaling: a common theme in animal developmentK M Cadigan
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Department of Developmental Biology, Beckman Center, Stanford University Medical Center, Stanford, California 94305 5323, USA
Genes Dev 11:3286-305. 1997
- A 5.5-kb enhancer is both necessary and sufficient for regulation of Wnt-1 transcription in vivoP S Danielian
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138, USA
Dev Biol 192:300-9. 1997..Our results show that the 5.5-kb enhancer is both necessary and sufficient for Wnt-1 expression in vivo...
- Characterization of Wnt-1 and Wnt-2 induced growth alterations and signaling pathways in NIH3T3 fibroblastsA Bafico
Derald H Ruttenberg Cancer Center, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY 10029, USA
Oncogene 16:2819-25. 1998..These findings establish that both Wnt signaling and pattern of growth alterations differ from those of oncogenes which activate proliferative signaling pathways in NIH3T3 cells...
- A mouse mammary tumor virus-Wnt-1 transgene induces mammary gland hyperplasia and tumorigenesis in mice lacking estrogen receptor-alphaW P Bocchinfuso
Receptor Biology Section, Laboratory of Reproductive and Developmental Toxicology, National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, NIH, Research Triangle Park, North Carolina 27709, USA
Cancer Res 59:1869-76. 1999..The delayed time of tumor appearance may depend on the number of cells at risk of secondary events in the hyperplastic glands, on the carcinogenesis-promoting effects of ER alpha signaling, or on both...
- Human frizzled 1 interacts with transforming Wnts to transduce a TCF dependent transcriptional responseA Gazit
Department of Human Microbiology, Sackler School of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv 69978, Israel
Oncogene 18:5959-66. 1999..All of these findings provide strong evidence that Hfz1 is a functional partner for certain Wnts in inducing TCF dependent transcription...
- Wnt signaling is required for thymocyte development and activates Tcf-1 mediated transcriptionF J Staal
Department of Immunology and Center for Biomedical Genetics, Utrecht Medical Center, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Eur J Immunol 31:285-93. 2001..This interaction may be established by signals mediated by Wnt1 and Wnt4, leading to increased Tcf-dependent transcriptional activity in thymocytes, as demonstrated in Tcf-LacZ ..
- Catechol estrogen metabolites and conjugates in mammary tumors and hyperplastic tissue from estrogen receptor-alpha knock-out (ERKO)/Wnt-1 mice: implications for initiation of mammary tumorsP Devanesan
Eppley Institute for Research in Cancer and Allied Diseases, University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE 68198 6085, USA
Carcinogenesis 22:1573-6. 2001..These results are consistent with the hypothesis that the mammary tumor development is primarily initiated by metabolism of estrogens to 4-CE and, then, to CE-3,4-quinones, which may react with DNA to induce oncogenic mutations...
- Caveolin-1-deficient mice have an increased mammary stem cell population with upregulation of Wnt/beta-catenin signalingFederica Sotgia
Department of Molecular Pharmacology and Medicine, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, New York 10461, USA
Cell Cycle 4:1808-16. 2005..As such, we propose that loss of Cav-1 induces the accumulation of mammary stem cells, and that this event may be an initiating factor during mammary tumorigenesis...
- The Wnt-1 (int-1) proto-oncogene is required for development of a large region of the mouse brainA P McMahon
Department of Cell and Developmental Biology, Roche Institute of Molecular Biology, Roche Research Center, Nutley, New Jersey 07110
Cell 62:1073-85. 1990..Homozygotes are born, but die within 24 hr. Thus the normal role of Wnt-1 is in determination or subsequent development of a specific region of the central nervous system...
- Nucleotide sequence and expression in vitro of cDNA derived from mRNA of int-1, a provirally activated mouse mammary oncogeneY K Fung
Mol Cell Biol 5:3337-44. 1985..The length of the deduced open reading frame was further confirmed by in vitro translation of RNA transcribed from the cDNA clones with SP6 RNA polymerase...
- Expression of the proto-oncogene int-1 is restricted to specific neural cells in the developing mouse embryoD G Wilkinson
Cell 50:79-88. 1987..These data suggest that int-1 has a role in the early stages of central nervous system development in the mouse embryo...
- Many tumors induced by the mouse mammary tumor virus contain a provirus integrated in the same region of the host genomeR Nusse
Cell 31:99-109. 1982..We propose that tumorigenesis by MMTV is strongly favored by proviral insertion within the int1 locus, perhaps as a consequence of enhanced expression of a novel cellular oncogene...
- Mode of proviral activation of a putative mammary oncogene (int-1) on mouse chromosome 15R Nusse
Nature 307:131-6. 1984..Transcription of the proviruses proceeds away from int-1; thus an indirect mechanism appears to activate expression of this putative oncogene...
- Biochemical analysis of murine Wnt proteins reveals both shared and distinct propertiesL W Burrus
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138, USA
Exp Cell Res 220:363-73. 1995..Whereas addition of suramin to COS cell cultures significantly increases the levels of all six Wnts in the medium, the addition of heparin only influences the levels of Wnt-1, Wnt-6, and Wnt-7b...
- Deficiency of p53 accelerates mammary tumorigenesis in Wnt-1 transgenic mice and promotes chromosomal instabilityL A Donehower
Division of Molecular Virology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Genes Dev 9:882-95. 1995..These findings favor a model in which p53 deficiency relaxes normal restraints on chromosomal number and organization during tumorigenesis...
- The mouse Fgf8 gene encodes a family of polypeptides and is expressed in regions that direct outgrowth and patterning in the developing embryoP H Crossley
Department of Anatomy and Program in Developmental Biology, School of Medicine, University of California at San Francisco 94143 0452, USA
Development 121:439-51. 1995....
- Cis-acting regulatory sequences governing Wnt-1 expression in the developing mouse CNSY Echelard
Roche Institute of Molecular Biology, Roche Research Center, Nutley, New Jersey 07110
Development 120:2213-24. 1994..In addition, transgene expression provides a new tool for the analysis of neural crest development in normal and mutant mouse embryos...
- Mouse Wnt genes exhibit discrete domains of expression in the early embryonic CNS and limb budsB A Parr
Department of Cell and Developmental Biology, Roche Institute of Molecular Biology, Nutley, NJ 07110
Development 119:247-61. 1993..We discuss the significance of these patterns of restricted and partially overlapping domains of expression with respect to the putative function of Wnt signalling in early CNS and limb development...
- Specification of the anterior hindbrain and establishment of a normal mid/hindbrain organizer is dependent on Gbx2 gene functionK M Wassarman
Department of Anatomy and Program in Developmental Biology, School of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco 94143 0452, USA
Development 124:2923-34. 1997..It is also required to maintain normal patterns of expression at the mid/hindbrain boundary of Fgf8 and Wnt1, genes that encode signaling molecules thought to be key components of the mid/hindbrain (isthmic) organizer...
- Genetic control of brain morphogenesis through Otx gene dosage requirementD Acampora
International Institute of Genetics and Biophysics, CNR, Naples, Italy
Development 124:3639-50. 1997....
- Wnt signalling required for expansion of neural crest and CNS progenitorsM Ikeya
Centre for Molecular and Developmental Biology, Faculty of Science, Kyoto University, Japan
Nature 389:966-70. 1997..Given the widespread expression of different Wnt genes in discrete areas of the mammalian neural tube, this may represent a general model for the action of Wnt signalling in the developing CNS...
- Using Flp-recombinase to characterize expansion of Wnt1-expressing neural progenitors in the mouseS M Dymecki
Department of Genetics, Harvard Medical School, 200 Longwood Avenue, Boston, Massachusetts, 02115 5701, USA
Dev Biol 201:57-65. 1998..we have analyzed the adult expansion of embryonic neural progenitors which transiently express the signaling factor Wnt1. We report Wnt1 promoter activity in embryonic cells that give rise to aspects of the adult midbrain, cerebellum, ..
- Modification of gene activity in mouse embryos in utero by a tamoxifen-inducible form of Cre recombinaseP S Danielian
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology Harvard University 16 Divinity Avenue, Cambridge Massachusetts 02138 USA
Curr Biol 8:1323-6. 1998..Using the enhancer of the Wnt1 gene to restrict the expression of Cre-ERTM to the embryonic neural tube, we found that a single injection of ..
- Use of MMTV-Wnt-1 transgenic mice for studying the genetic basis of breast cancerY Li
Division of Basic Science, National Cancer Institute, 49 Convent Drive, Building 49, Room 4A56, Bethesda, Maryland, MD 20892, USA
Oncogene 19:1002-9. 2000....
- Essential function of Wnt-4 in mammary gland development downstream of progesterone signalingC Brisken
Department of Molecular and Integrative Physiology, Whitehead Institute, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02142 USA
Genes Dev 14:650-4. 2000..Progesterone induces Wnt-4 in mammary epithelial cells and is required for increased Wnt-4 expression during pregnancy. Thus, Wnt signaling is essential in mediating progesterone function during mammary gland morphogenesis...
- The evolutionarily conserved porcupine gene family is involved in the processing of the Wnt familyK Tanaka
Graduate Program for Regulation of Biological Signals, Graduate School of Bioagricultural Sciences, Nagoya University, Japan
Eur J Biochem 267:4300-11. 2000..In transfected mammalian cells, all Mporc types affect the processing of mouse Wnt 1, 3A, 4, 6, and 7B but not 5A. Furthermore, all Mporc types are co-immunoprecipitated with various Wnt proteins...
- LDL-receptor-related proteins in Wnt signal transductionK Tamai
Division of Neuroscience, Children s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Nature 407:530-5. 2000..The extracellular domain of LRP6 bound Wnt-1 and associated with Fz in a Wnt-dependent manner. Our results indicate that LRP6 may be a component of the Wnt receptor complex...
- Low-density lipoprotein receptor-related protein-5 binds to Axin and regulates the canonical Wnt signaling pathwayJ Mao
Department of Genetics and Developmental Biology, University of Connecticut, Farmington, CT 06030, USA
Mol Cell 7:801-9. 2001..In addition, the LRP-5 sequences involved in interactions with Axin are required for LEF-1 activation. Thus, we conclude that the binding of Axin to LRP-5 is an important part of the Wnt signal transduction pathway...
- LDL-receptor-related protein 6 is a receptor for Dickkopf proteinsB Mao
Division of Molecular Embryology, Deutsches Krebsforschungszentrum, Heidelberg, Germany
Nature 411:321-5. 2001..Thus, DKKs inhibit Wnt co-receptor function, exemplifying the modulation of LRP signalling by antagonists...
- Characterization of Wnt gene expression in developing and postnatal hair follicles and identification of Wnt5a as a target of Sonic hedgehog in hair follicle morphogenesisS Reddy
Departments of Dermatology and Cell and Developmental Biology, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Mech Dev 107:69-82. 2001..These results identify candidates for several key follicular signals and suggest that WNT and SHH signaling pathways interact to regulate hair follicle morphogenesis...
- Distinct regulators control the expression of the mid-hindbrain organizer signal FGF8W Ye
Department of Molecular Biology, Genentech, 1 DNA Way, South San Francisco, California 94080, USA
Nat Neurosci 4:1175-81. 2001..A network of transcription and secreted factors, including En1, Otx2, Gbx2, Grg4 and Wnt1&4, that is established independently of Pax2, further refines the expression domain and level of FGF8 at the ..
- Otx2 and Gbx2 are required for refinement and not induction of mid-hindbrain gene expressionJ Y Li
Howard Hughes Medical Institute and Developmental Genetics Program, Skirball Institute of Biomolecular Medicine, New York University School of Medicine, 540 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016, USA
Development 128:4979-91. 2001..Furthermore, Otx2 and Gbx2 are required to suppress hindbrain and midbrain development, respectively, and thus allow establishment of the normal spatial domains of Fgf8 and other genes...
- Synergistic induction of tumor antigens by Wnt-1 signaling and retinoic acid revealed by gene expression profilingDavid A Tice
Department of Molecular Oncology, Genentech Inc, South San Francisco, California 94080, USA
J Biol Chem 277:14329-35. 2002..In principal, the therapeutic index of antibodies directed against these antigens should be enhanced by co-administration of retinoic acid...
- Wnt signaling controls the phosphorylation status of beta-cateninMascha van Noort
Department of Immunology, University Medical Center Utrecht, Heidelberglaan 100, 3584 CX Utrecht, The Netherlands
J Biol Chem 277:17901-5. 2002..Immunohistochemical analysis of mouse embryos utilizing the antibody visualizes sites that transduce Wnt signals through the canonical Wnt cascade...
- Wnt signaling plays an essential role in neuronal specification of the dorsal spinal cordYuko Muroyama
Kondoh Differentiation Signaling Project, Exploratory Research for Advanced Technology ERATO, Japan Science and Technology Corporation JST, Kinki Invention Center, Sakyo ku, Kyoto 606 8305, Japan
Genes Dev 16:548-53. 2002..Here, we demonstrate that absence of Wnt1 and Wnt3a, normally expressed in the roof plate, leads to diminished development of D1 and D2 neurons and a ..
- Cbfa1-independent decrease in osteoblast proliferation, osteopenia, and persistent embryonic eye vascularization in mice deficient in Lrp5, a Wnt coreceptorMasaki Kato
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology and Medicine, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030, USA
J Cell Biol 157:303-14. 2002..Moreover, these features recapitulate human osteoporosis-pseudoglioma syndrome, caused by LRP5 inactivation...
- WNT signals are required for the initiation of hair follicle developmentThomas Andl
Department of Dermatology, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Dev Cell 2:643-53. 2002..This phenotype indicates that activation of WNT signaling in the skin precedes, and is required for, localized expression of regulatory genes and initiation of hair follicle placode formation...
- Changing requirements for Gbx2 in development of the cerebellum and maintenance of the mid/hindbrain organizerJames Y H Li
Howard Hughes Medical Institute and Developmental Genetics Program, Skirball Institute of Biomolecular Medicine, New York, NY 10016, USA
Neuron 36:31-43. 2002..Our work has uncovered distinct requirements for Gbx2 during cerebellum formation and provided a model for how a transcription factor can play multiple roles during development...
- The isthmic organizer signal FGF8 is required for cell survival in the prospective midbrain and cerebellumCandace L Chi
Department of Anatomy and Program in Developmental Biology, School of Medicine, University of California at San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94143 0452, USA
Development 130:2633-44. 2003..FGF8 and WNT1 have been implicated as key components of IsO signaling activity, and previous studies have shown that in Wnt1(-/-) ..
- Msx1 is required for dorsal diencephalon patterningAntoine Bach
Unité de Génétique Moléculaire de la Morphogenèse, Institut Pasteur, URA 2578 du CNRS, 25 rue du Dr Roux, 75724 Paris Cedex 15, France
Development 130:4025-36. 2003..b>Wnt1 is essential for dorsoventral patterning of the neural tube...
- Differential regulation of midbrain dopaminergic neuron development by Wnt-1, Wnt-3a, and Wnt-5aGoncalo Castelo-Branco
Laboratory of Molecular Neurobiology, Medical Biochemistry, and Biophysics, Karolinska Institute, 171 77 Stockholm, Sweden
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 100:12747-52. 2003..These findings indicate that Wnts are key regulators of proliferation and differentiation of DA precursors during VM neurogenesis and that different Wnts have specific and unique activity profiles...
- Evidence that transgenes encoding components of the Wnt signaling pathway preferentially induce mammary cancers from progenitor cellsYi Li
Department of Pathology, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, 1275 York Avenue, New York, NY 10021, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 100:15853-8. 2003..Thus, the developmental heterogeneity of different breast cancers is in part a consequence of differential effects of oncogenes on distinct cell types in the breast...
- Instructive role of Wnt/beta-catenin in sensory fate specification in neural crest stem cellsHye Youn Lee
Institute of Cell Biology, Department of Biology, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, ETH Honggerberg, CH 8093 Zurich, Switzerland
Science 303:1020-3. 2004..Moreover, Wnt1 is able to instruct early NCSCs (eNCSCs) to adopt a sensory neuronal fate in a beta-catenin-dependent manner...
- Members of the Wnt, Fz, and Frp gene families expressed in postnatal mouse cerebral cortexTomomi Shimogori
Department of Neurobiology, Pharmacology, and Physiology, University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois 60637, USA
J Comp Neurol 473:496-510. 2004..Thus, canonical Wnt signaling could be utilized in a major cortical input by Fz- and Lef1-expressing thalamic cells that innervate the Wnt-expressing cortex...
- Wnt proteins induce dishevelled phosphorylation via an LRP5/6- independent mechanism, irrespective of their ability to stabilize beta-cateninJosé M González-Sancho
Strang Cancer Research Laboratory at The Rockefeller University, 1230 York Ave, New York, NY 10021, USA
Mol Cell Biol 24:4757-68. 2004Wnt glycoproteins play essential roles in the development of metazoan organisms. Many Wnt proteins, such as Wnt1, activate the well-conserved canonical Wnt signaling pathway, which results in accumulation of beta-catenin in the cytosol ..
- Sequential roles of Hedgehog and Wnt signaling in osteoblast developmentHongliang Hu
Department of Medicine, Washington University Medical School, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Development 132:49-60. 2005..Finally Wnt7b is identified as a potential endogenous ligand regulating osteogenesis. These data support a model that integrates Hh and Wnt signaling in the regulation of osteoblast development...
- Effects of canonical Wnt signaling on dorso-ventral specification of the mouse telencephalonMattias Backman
Institute of Medical Microbiology and Centre for Molecular Biology and Neuroscience, University of Oslo, The National Hospital, 0027 Oslo, Norway
Dev Biol 279:155-68. 2005..Thus, our data suggest that canonical Wnt signals are involved in maintaining the identity of the pallium by controlling expression of dorsal markers and by suppressing ventral programs from being activated in pallial progenitor cells...
- Overexpression of the tumor suppressor gene phosphatase and tensin homologue partially inhibits wnt-1-induced mammary tumorigenesisHong Zhao
Diabetes Branch and Laboratory of Genetics and Physiology, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, NIH, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 1758, USA
Cancer Res 65:6864-73. 2005..This study identifies the PTEN as a therapeutic target for the treatment of mammary cancer and presumably other types of cancer...
- Abnormal development of the apical ectodermal ridge and polysyndactyly in Megf7-deficient miceEric B Johnson
Department of Molecular Genetics, UT Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX 75390 9046, USA
Hum Mol Genet 14:3523-38. 2005..A similar autosomal recessive defect may also occur in man, where polysyndactyly, in combination with craniofacial abnormalities, is also part of a common genetic syndrome...
- A Wnt1-regulated genetic network controls the identity and fate of midbrain-dopaminergic progenitors in vivoNilima Prakash
GSF National Research Center for Environment and Health, Technical University Munich, Institute of Developmental Genetics, Ingolstaedter Landstrasse 1, 85764 Munich Neuherberg, Germany
Development 133:89-98. 2006..The secreted glycoprotein Wnt1 is expressed in close vicinity to developing midbrain dopaminergic neurons...
- Sonic hedgehog regulates Gli activator and repressor functions with spatial and temporal precision in the mid/hindbrain regionSandra Blaess
Howard Hughes Medical Institute and Developmental Genetics Program, Skirball Institute of Biomolecular Medicine, 540 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016, USA
Development 133:1799-809. 2006..Thus, the precise spatial and temporal regulation of Gli2A and Gli3R by Shh is instrumental in coordinating mid/hindbrain development in three dimensions...
- The Wnt signaling receptor Lrp5 is required for mammary ductal stem cell activity and Wnt1-induced tumorigenesisCharlotta Lindvall
Laboratory of Cell Signaling and Carcinogenesis, Van Andel Research Institute, Grand Rapids, Michigan 49503, USA
J Biol Chem 281:35081-7. 2006..Here we have shown that mice deficient for the Wnt co-receptor Lrp5 are resistant to Wnt1-induced mammary tumors, which have been shown to be derived from the mammary stem/progenitor cell population...
- Expression of the Wnt inhibitor Dickkopf-1 is required for the induction of neural markers in mouse embryonic stem cells differentiating in response to retinoic acidR Verani
Department of Human Physiology and Pharmacology, University of Rome La Sapienza, Rome, Italy
J Neurochem 100:242-50. 2007..These data suggest that induction of Dkk-1 and the ensuing inhibition of the canonical Wnt pathway is required for neural differentiation of ES cells...
- Wnt signaling and gastrointestinal tumorigenesis in mouse modelsM M Taketo
Department of Pharmacology, Graduate School of Medicine, Kyoto University, Yoshida konoe cho, Sakyo, Kyoto, Japan
Oncogene 25:7522-30. 2006....
- Shear Stress Modulation of Wnt SignalingARLENE WECHEZAK; Fiscal Year: 2003..These proposed studies would establish a linkage between shear stress as a controlling influence on adherens junctions in endothelium and that a consequence of this regulation is modulation of Wnt siqnaling. ..
- Targeting Urokinase Pathway for Breast Cancer TherapyRakesh Kumar; Fiscal Year: 2003..These results will have a direct impact in developing novel therapeutic intervention strategies. ..
- Role of Gbx2 and Otx2 in the mes-met organizer functionJames Li; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- Resolving the nuclear fusion steps during yeast matingPatricia Melloy; Fiscal Year: 2006..This information and the tools used can then be applied to other cell biological and gene regulation questions during other types of membrane fusion. ..
- HER2 Pathway in Breast Cancer Progression and TreatmentRakesh Kumar; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Pak1 - PIN Pathway in Breast Cancer ProgressionRakesh Kumar; Fiscal Year: 2008..Our proposed research is significant as this research might form the basis for new advances in identifying novel molecular targets, detecting, preventing and treating breast cancer, by identifying PIN as a key regulatory nodule. ..
- SERM Regulation of PAK Pathway in Endometrial CancerRakesh Kumar; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Role of PAK1-MORC2 Pathway in Breast CancerRakesh Kumar; Fiscal Year: 2010..It is our hope that the knowledge gained from this project will form the basis for new mechanistic advances in DNAdamage response in breast cancer cells. ..