Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Vegfa
Description: vascular endothelial growth factor A
Alias: Vegf, Vpf, vascular endothelial growth factor A, vascular permeability factor
Publications192 found, 100 shown here
- Abnormal blood vessel development and lethality in embryos lacking a single VEGF alleleP Carmeliet
Center for Transgene Technology and Gene Therapy, Flanders Interuniversity Institute for Biotechnology, Leuven, Belgium
Nature 380:435-9. 1996The endothelial cell-specific vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) and its cellular receptors Flt-1 and Flk-1 have been implicated in the formation of the embryonic vasculature...
- HIF-2alpha regulates Oct-4: effects of hypoxia on stem cell function, embryonic development, and tumor growthKelly L Covello
Department of Cell and Developmental Biology, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
Genes Dev 20:557-70. 2006....
- Endogenous VEGF is required for visual function: evidence for a survival role on müller cells and photoreceptorsMagali Saint-Geniez
Schepens Eye Research Institute, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
PLoS ONE 3:e3554. 2008Vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) is well known for its role in normal and pathologic neovascularization...
- VEGF is required for growth and survival in neonatal miceH P Gerber
Departments of Cardiovascular Research and Pathology, Genentech, Inc, South San Francisco, CA 94080, USA
Development 126:1149-59. 1999We employed two independent approaches to inactivate the angiogenic protein VEGF in newborn mice: inducible, Cre-loxP- mediated gene targeting, or administration of mFlt(1-3)-IgG, a soluble VEGF receptor chimeric protein...
- Tissue macrophages act as cellular chaperones for vascular anastomosis downstream of VEGF-mediated endothelial tip cell inductionAlessandro Fantin
UCL Institute of Ophthalmology, University College London, London, United Kingdom
Blood 116:829-40. 2010..Vessel sprouting is induced by chemotactic gradients of the vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF), which stimulates tip cell protrusion...
- Loss of HIF-2alpha and inhibition of VEGF impair fetal lung maturation, whereas treatment with VEGF prevents fatal respiratory distress in premature miceVeerle Compernolle
The Center for Transgene Technology and Gene Therapy, Flanders Interuniversity, Institute for Biotechnology, Leuven, Belgium
Nat Med 8:702-10. 2002..b>VEGF, a target of HIF-2alpha, regulates fetal lung maturation: because VEGF levels in alveolar cells were reduced in HIF-..
- Spatially restricted patterning cues provided by heparin-binding VEGF-A control blood vessel branching morphogenesisChristiana Ruhrberg
Endothelial Cell Biology Laboratory, Cancer Research UK London Research Institute, London WC2A 3PX, United Kingdom
Genes Dev 16:2684-98. 2002..We found that VEGF(120/120) mouse embryos, engineered to express solely an isoform of VEGF-A that lacks heparin-binding, and therefore ..
- Defective vascularization of HIF-1alpha-null embryos is not associated with VEGF deficiency but with mesenchymal cell deathL E Kotch
Institute of Genetic MedicineDepartment of PediatricsDepartment of Medicine, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland, 21287 3914, USA
Dev Biol 209:254-67. 1999..Similar vascular defects were observed in HIF-1alpha- and VEGF-deficient embryos and VEGF mRNA expression was not induced by hypoxia in Hif1a-/- embryonic stem cells...
- The Notch ligand Delta-like 4 negatively regulates endothelial tip cell formation and vessel branchingSteven Suchting
Institut National de la Sante et de la Recherche Medicale, U833, 75005 Paris, France
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:3225-30. 2007..Filopodia extension in dll4(+/-) retinal vessels required the vascular growth factor VEGF and was inhibited when VEGF signaling was blocked...
- VEGF-mediated disruption of endothelial CLN-5 promotes blood-brain barrier breakdownAzeb Tadesse Argaw
Corinne Goldsmith Dickinson Center for Multiple Sclerosis and Department of Neurology, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY 10029, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:1977-82. 2009Breakdown of the blood-brain barrier (BBB) is an early and significant event in CNS inflammation. Astrocyte-derived VEGF-A has been implicated in this response, but the underlying mechanisms remain unresolved...
- Edg-1, the G protein-coupled receptor for sphingosine-1-phosphate, is essential for vascular maturationY Liu
Genetics of Development and Disease Branch, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, NIH, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 1821, USA
J Clin Invest 106:951-61. 2000..Our data reveal Edg-1 to be the first G protein-coupled receptor required for blood vessel formation and show that sphingolipid signaling is essential during mammalian development...
- VEGF-A promotes tissue repair-associated lymphatic vessel formation via VEGFR-2 and the alpha1beta1 and alpha2beta1 integrinsYoung Kwon Hong
Cutaneous Biology Research Center, Department of Dermatology, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Charlestown, Massachusetts 02129, USA
FASEB J 18:1111-3. 2004Vascular endothelial growth factor-A (VEGF-A) is strongly up-regulated in wounded cutaneous tissue and promotes repair-associated angiogenesis. However, little is known about its role in lymphatic regeneration of the healing skin...
- Resistance to obesity by repression of VEGF gene expression through induction of brown-like adipocyte differentiationXiaodan Lu
Transgenic Animal Research Center, School of Life Science, Northeast Normal University, Changchun, Jilin 130024, China
Endocrinology 153:3123-32. 2012..Vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF)-A is the founding member of the VEGF family and has been found highly expressed in adipose tissue...
- Defective associations between blood vessels and brain parenchyma lead to cerebral hemorrhage in mice lacking alphav integrinsJoseph H McCarty
Howard Hughes Medical Institute and Center for Cancer Research, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02139, USA
Mol Cell Biol 22:7667-77. 2002..These data suggest a novel role for alphav integrins in the association between cerebral microvessels and central nervous system parenchymal cells...
- Synergistic up-regulation of vascular endothelial growth factor expression in murine macrophages by adenosine A(2A) receptor agonists and endotoxinSamuel Joseph Leibovich
Department of Cell Biology and Molecular Medicine, New Jersey Medical School, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, Newark, New Jersey 07103, USA
Am J Pathol 160:2231-44. 2002Under normoxic conditions, macrophages from C57BL mice produce low levels of vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF)...
- Astrocyte hypoxic response is essential for pathological but not developmental angiogenesis of the retinaAlexander Weidemann
Division of Biology, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, California 92093, USA
Glia 58:1177-85. 2010..cells migrate to form the retinal vascular network, and hypoxia-regulated vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) has been demonstrated to play a critical role in this process as well as pathological neovascularization...
- VEGF mediates commissural axon chemoattraction through its receptor Flk1Carmen Ruiz de Almodovar
VIB, Laboratory for Angiogenesis and the Neurovascular link, Vesalius Research Center, KULeuven, Leuven, Belgium
Neuron 70:966-78. 2011..Here we show that the prototypic angiogenic factor VEGF is secreted by the floor plate and is a chemoattractant for commissural axons in vitro and in vivo...
- Heterogeneity of the angiogenic response induced in different normal adult tissues by vascular permeability factor/vascular endothelial growth factorA Pettersson
Department of Pathology, Children s Hospital, and Harvard Institute of Human Genetics, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02215, USA
Lab Invest 80:99-115. 2000b>Vascular permeability factor/vascular endothelial growth factor (VPF/VEGF) is an angiogenic cytokine with potential for the treatment of tissue ischemia...
- Patterns of expression of vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) and VEGF receptors in mice suggest a role in hormonally regulated angiogenesisD Shweiki
Department of Molecular Biology, Hebrew University Hadassah Medical School, Jerusalem, Israel
J Clin Invest 91:2235-43. 1993Vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) is a secreted endothelial cell-specific mitogen...
- Vascular permeability factor/vascular endothelial growth factor induces lymphangiogenesis as well as angiogenesisJanice A Nagy
Department of Pathology, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and Harvard Medical School, 330 Brookline Avenue, Boston, MA 02215, USA
J Exp Med 196:1497-506. 2002b>Vascular permeability factor/vascular endothelial growth factor (VPF/VEGF, VEGF-A) is a multifunctional cytokine with important roles in pathological angiogenesis...
- Lung vascular endothelial growth factor expression induces local myeloid dendritic cell activationSvetlana P Chapoval
Section of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Department of Internal Medicine, Yale University School of Medicine, 300 Cedar Street, 441 C TAC, New Haven, CT 06520 8057, USA
Clin Immunol 132:371-84. 2009We previously demonstrated that vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) expression in the murine lung increases local CD11c+MHCII+ DC number and activation...
- Alphav beta3 integrin limits the contribution of neuropilin-1 to vascular endothelial growth factor-induced angiogenesisStephen D Robinson
Adhesion and Angiogenesis Laboratory, Tumour Biology Centre, Institute of Cancer, Queen Mary University of London, John Vane Science Centre, Charterhouse Square, London EC1M 6BQ, United Kingdom
J Biol Chem 284:33966-81. 2009Both vascular endothelial growth factor receptors (VEGFR) and integrins are major regulators of VEGF-induced angiogenesis. Previous work has shown that beta3 integrin can regulate negatively VEGFR2 expression...
- Vascular endothelial growth factor receptor 2 direct interaction with nephrin links VEGF-A signals to actin in kidney podocytesClaudia Bertuccio
Department of Pediatrics, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06520, USA
J Biol Chem 286:39933-44. 2011..b>Vascular endothelial growth factor A (VEGF-A) is a required growth factor produced and secreted by podocytes...
- Leptin signaling promotes the growth of mammary tumors and increases the expression of vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) and its receptor type two (VEGF-R2)Ruben R Gonzalez
Boston Biomedical Research Institute, Watertown, Massachusetts 02472, USA
J Biol Chem 281:26320-8. 2006..Leptin increases the expression of vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF), its receptor (VEGF-R2), and cyclin D1 through phosphoinositide 3-kinase, Janus kinase 2/signal transducer and ..
- Notch alters VEGF responsiveness in human and murine endothelial cells by direct regulation of VEGFR-3 expressionCarrie J Shawber
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Columbia University Medical Center, New York, New York 10032, USA
J Clin Invest 117:3369-82. 2007..Through induction of VEGFR-3, Notch increased endothelial cell responsiveness to VEGF-C, promoting endothelial cell survival and morphological changes...
- Contribution of vascular endothelial growth factor to airway hyperresponsiveness and inflammation in a murine model of toluene diisocyanate-induced asthmaYong C Lee
Department of Internal Medicine, Research Institute of Clinical Medicine, Chonbuk National University Medical School, Chonju, South Korea
J Immunol 168:3595-600. 2002..hallmarks of inflammation is angiogenesis, but the possible role of vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF), a potent angiogenic cytokine, in TDI-induced asthma is unknown...
- Transgenic mice with increased expression of vascular endothelial growth factor in the retina: a new model of intraretinal and subretinal neovascularizationN Okamoto
Department of Ophthalmology, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21287 9277, USA
Am J Pathol 151:281-91. 1997Vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) has been implicated in retinal neovascularization (NV), but it has been difficult to produce retinal NV with exogenous VEGF...
- Erk5 null mice display multiple extraembryonic vascular and embryonic cardiovascular defectsChristopher P Regan
Vertex Pharmaceuticals, Department of Biology, 130 Waverly Street, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99:9248-53. 2002..Together, these data define an essential role for Erk5 in cardiovascular development. Moreover, the inability of Erk5-deficient mice to form a complex vasculature suggests that Erk5 may play an important role in controlling angiogenesis...
- Deletion of the hypoxia-response element in the vascular endothelial growth factor promoter causes motor neuron degenerationB Oosthuyse
The Center for Transgene Technology and Gene Therapy, Flanders Interuniversity Institute for Biotechnology, KU Leuven, Leuven, B 3000, Belgium
Nat Genet 28:131-8. 2001..the binding of hypoxia-inducible factors to the hypoxia-response element in the vascular endothelial growth factor (Vegf) promotor...
- Vascular endothelial growth factor controls neuronal migration and cooperates with Sema3A to pattern distinct compartments of the facial nerveQuenten Schwarz
Department of Cell Biology, Institute of Ophthalmology, University College London, London EC1V 9EL, United Kingdom
Genes Dev 18:2822-34. 2004..These observations demonstrate, for the first time, that VEGF contributes to neuronal patterning in vivo, and that different compartments of one cell can be co-ordinately ..
- Implication of the hypoxia response element of the Vegf promoter in mouse models of retinal and choroidal neovascularization, but not retinal vascular developmentStanley A Vinores
Department of Ophthalmology, The Wilmer Eye Institute, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21287 9289, USA
J Cell Physiol 206:749-58. 2006..We used mice in which the hypoxia response element (HRE) is deleted from the vascular endothelial growth factor (vegf) promoter (Vegf(delta/delta) mice) to explore the role of induction of VEGF through the HRE in these disease ..
- Conditional inactivation of VEGF-A in areas of collagen2a1 expression results in embryonic lethality in the heterozygous stateJ J Haigh
Research Institute of Molecular Pathology IMP, Dr Bohr Gasse 7, A 1030 Vienna, Austria
Development 127:1445-53. 2000b>VEGF-A has been implicated in regulating the initial angiogenic invasion events that are essential for endochondral bone formation...
- von Hippel-Lindau protein regulates transition from the fetal to the adult circulatory system in retinaToshihide Kurihara
Department of Physiology, Keio University School of Medicine, 35 Shinanomachi, Shinjuku ku, Tokyo 160 8582, Japan
Development 137:1563-71. 2010..These defects are suppressed by intraocular injection of FLT1-Fc protein [a vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) receptor-1 (FLT1)/Fc chimeric protein that can bind VEGF and inhibit its activity], or by inactivating the HIF-..
- Vascular endothelial growth factor/vascular permeability factor expression in a mouse model of retinal neovascularizationE A Pierce
Department of Ophthalmology, Children s Hospital, MA 02115
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 92:905-9. 1995..To investigate the role of vascular endothelial growth factor/vascular permeability factor (VEGF/VPF) in retinal neovascularization, the expression of VEGF/VPF mRNA and protein were studied in a ..
- Cardiomyocyte-specific prolyl-4-hydroxylase domain 2 knock out protects from acute myocardial ischemic injuryMarion Hölscher
Department of Cardiovascular Physiology, Universitatsmedizin Gottingen, Georg August University Gottingen, Gottingen, Germany
J Biol Chem 286:11185-94. 2011..This correlated with a decreased number of apoptotic cells in the infarcted myocardium in the cPhd2(-/-) mice and significantly improved cardiac function 3 weeks after myocardial infarction...
- Rescue of diabetes-related impairment of angiogenesis by intramuscular gene therapy with adeno-VEGFA Rivard
Department of Medicine Cardiology, St Elizabeth s Medical Center, Tufts University School of Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts 02135, USA
Am J Pathol 154:355-63. 1999..in neovascularization in the NOD mice was the result of a lower level of vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) in the ischemic tissues, as assessed by Northern blot, Western blot and immunohistochemistry...
- Hypoxia in cartilage: HIF-1alpha is essential for chondrocyte growth arrest and survivalE Schipani
Endocrine Unit, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
Genes Dev 15:2865-76. 2001..Furthermore, we find that VEGF expression in the growth plate is regulated through both HIF-1alpha-dependent and -independent mechanisms...
- Critical roles for collagenase-3 (Mmp13) in development of growth plate cartilage and in endochondral ossificationMasaki Inada
Center for Immunology and Inflammatory Diseases, Department of Medicine, Harvard Medical School and Massachusetts General Hospital, Building 149, 13th Street, Room 8301, Boston, MA 02129, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101:17192-7. 2004..Cartilaginous growth plate abnormalities persisted in adult mice and phenocopied defects observed in human hereditary chondrodysplasias. Our findings demonstrate a unique role of Mmp13 in skeletal development...
- ErbB2 overexpression in mammary cells upregulates VEGF through the core promoterRobyn M B Loureiro
Schepens Eye Research Institute, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 326:455-65. 2005The angiogenic molecule, vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF), is a critical regulator of normal and pathologic angiogenesis...
- Genetic repression of mouse VEGF expression regulates coagulation cascadeXiao Liu
National Engineering Laboratory, Institution of Genetics and Cytology, Northeast Normal University, Changchun 130024, People s Republic of China
IUBMB Life 62:819-24. 2010b>VEGF is an important growth factor in embryonic development and functional maintenance of adult organs...
- Increased microvascular density and enhanced leukocyte rolling and adhesion in the skin of VEGF transgenic miceM Detmar
Department of Pathology, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
J Invest Dermatol 111:1-6. 1998Vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) has been implicated in the pathologic angiogenesis observed in psoriasis and other chronic inflammatory skin diseases that are characterized by enhanced expression of VEGF by epidermal ..
- Paracrine and autocrine functions of neuronal vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) in the central nervous systemOmolara O Ogunshola
Department of Pathology, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06510, USA
J Biol Chem 277:11410-5. 2002Recent data have demonstrated that vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) is expressed by subsets of neurons, coincident with angiogenesis within the developing cerebral cortex...
- Coordination of chondrogenesis and osteogenesis by fibroblast growth factor 18Zhonghao Liu
Department of Molecular Biology and Pharmacology, Washington University Medical School, St Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
Genes Dev 16:859-69. 2002..These data demonstrate that FGF18 signals through another FGFR to regulate osteoblast growth. Signaling to multiple FGFRs positions FGF18 to coordinate chondrogenesis in the growth plate with osteogenesis in cortical and trabecular bone...
- Podocyte-specific VEGF down-regulation and pathophysiological developmentShuzhi Zhang
National Engineering Laboratory for Druggable Gene and Protein Screening, The Institute of Genetics and Cytology, School of Life Sciences, Northeast Normal University, Changchun 130024, People s Republic of China
IUBMB Life 62:677-83. 2010It is well-known that vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) plays a key role in development and pathology, but its function in normal adult tissues is rarely understood...
- Integrin β4 signaling promotes mammary tumor cell adhesion to brain microvascular endothelium by inducing ErbB2-mediated secretion of VEGFJie Fan
Department of Biomedical Engineering, The City College of the City University of New York, New York, NY 10031, USA
Ann Biomed Eng 39:2223-41. 2011..Rather, it enhances ErbB2-dependent expression of VEGF by tumor cells...
- Neuropilin-1 conveys semaphorin and VEGF signaling during neural and cardiovascular developmentChenghua Gu
Department of Neuroscience, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 725 North Wolfe Street, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Dev Cell 5:45-57. 2003..from structurally distinct families, including secreted semaphorins (Sema) and vascular endothelial growth factors (VEGF)...
- A novel tumor-promoting function residing in the 5' non-coding region of vascular endothelial growth factor mRNAKiyoshi Masuda
Department of Stress Science, Institute of Health Biosciences, University of Tokushima Graduate School, Tokushima, Japan
PLoS Med 5:e94. 2008Vascular endothelial growth factor-A (VEGF) is one of the key regulators of tumor development, hence it is considered to be an important therapeutic target for cancer treatment...
- Orchestration of angiogenesis and arteriovenous contribution by angiopoietins and vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF)Richard P Visconti
University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, 5323 Harry Hines Boulevard, Dallas, TX 75390 8573, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99:8219-24. 2002..regulated by two major classes of angiogenic factors, the angiopoietins and vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF)...
- CYR61 (CCN1) is essential for placental development and vascular integrityFan E Mo
Department of Molecular Genetics, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, Illinois 60607 7170, USA
Mol Cell Biol 22:8709-20. 2002..This unique phenotype is correlated with impaired Vegf-C expression in the allantoic mesoderm, suggesting that CYR61-regulated expression of Vegf-C plays a role in vessel ..
- Peripheral nerve-derived VEGF promotes arterial differentiation via neuropilin 1-mediated positive feedbackYoh suke Mukouyama
Division of Biology 216 76, California Institute of Technology, 1201 E California Boulevard, Pasadena, CA 91125, USA
Development 132:941-52. 2005..In vitro experiments suggest that nerve-derived VEGF may be important for arteriogenesis, but its role in vivo remains unclear...
- Pancreatic islet production of vascular endothelial growth factor--a is essential for islet vascularization, revascularization, and functionMarcela Brissova
Division of Diabetes, Endocrinology, and Metabolism, 715 PRB, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN 37232, USA
Diabetes 55:2974-85. 2006..Our genetic data indicate that vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF)-A is a major regulator of islet vascularization and revascularization of transplanted islets...
- Synergistic up-regulation of vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) expression in macrophages by adenosine A2A receptor agonists and endotoxin involves transcriptional regulation via the hypoxia response element in the VEGF promoterMadhuri Ramanathan
Department of Cell Biology and Molecular Medicine, New Jersey Medical School, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, Newark, NJ 07103, USA
Mol Biol Cell 18:14-23. 2007Macrophages are an important source of vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF). Adenosine A2A receptor (A2AR) agonists with Toll-like receptor (TLR) 2, 4, 7, and 9 agonists synergistically induce macrophage VEGF expression...
- An essential role for RPE-derived soluble VEGF in the maintenance of the choriocapillarisMagali Saint-Geniez
Department of Ophthalmology, Schepens Eye Research Institute, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:18751-6. 2009Clinical and experimental observations indicate a role for VEGF secreted by the retinal pigment epithelium (RPE) in the maintenance of the choriocapillaris (CC)...
- VEGF elicits epithelial-mesenchymal transition (EMT) in prostate intraepithelial neoplasia (PIN)-like cells via an autocrine loopOscar Gonzalez-Moreno
Laboratory of Novel Therapeutic Targets, Division of Oncology, Center for Applied Medical Research CIMA, University of Navarra, Avda Pio XII, 55, 31008 Pamplona, Spain
Exp Cell Res 316:554-67. 2010Vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) is overexpressed during the transition from prostate intraepithelial neoplasia (PIN) to invasive carcinoma...
- Matrix-binding vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) isoforms guide granule cell migration in the cerebellum via VEGF receptor Flk1Carmen Ruiz de Almodovar
Vesalius Research Center, Vlaams Instituut voor Biotechnologie, Vesalius Research Center, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium
J Neurosci 30:15052-66. 2010Vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) regulates angiogenesis, but also has important, yet poorly characterized roles in neuronal wiring...
- Cellular changes in normal blood capillaries undergoing regression after inhibition of VEGF signalingFabienne Baffert
Cardiovascular Research Institute, and Dept of Anatomy, Univ of California, 513 Parnassus Ave, San Francisco, CA 94143 0452, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 290:H547-59. 2006The vasculature of the embryo requires vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) during development, but most adult blood vessels lose VEGF dependence...
- Cochlear pericyte responses to acoustic trauma and the involvement of hypoxia-inducible factor-1alpha and vascular endothelial growth factorXiaorui Shi
Department of Otolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery, Oregon Hearing Research Center, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, Oregon 97239 3098, USA Institute of Microcirculation, Chinese Academy of MedicalSciences CAMS and Peking Union Medical College PUMC, 5 Dong Dan San Tiao, Beijing, 100005, China
Am J Pathol 174:1692-704. 2009..the induction of hypoxia inducible factor (HIF)-1alpha and the up-regulation of vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF). Inhibition of HIF-1alpha activity caused a decrease in VEGF expression levels in stria vascularis vessels...
- Differential expression of vascular endothelial growth factor and its receptor mRNAs in the mouse uterus around the time of implantationI Chakraborty
Department of Physiology, Ralph L Smith Research Center, University of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas City 66160 7338, USA
J Endocrinol 147:339-52. 1995..VEGF is also known as a vascular permeability factor because it can stimulate vascular permeability...
- Growth factors acting via endothelial cell-specific receptor tyrosine kinases: VEGFs, angiopoietins, and ephrins in vascular developmentN W Gale
Regeneron Pharmaceuticals, Inc, Tarrytown, New York 10591 6707, USA
Genes Dev 13:1055-66. 1999
- Multiple developmental roles of VEGF suggested by a LacZ-tagged alleleL Miquerol
Samuel Lunenfeld Research Institute, Mount Sinai Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, M5G1X5, Canada
Dev Biol 212:307-22. 1999Vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) is an angiogenic factor and a potent stimulator of microvascular permeability. It is a mitogen specific for endothelial cells...
- New vascular endothelial growth factor isoform generated by internal ribosome entry site-driven CUG translation initiationI Huez
Institut National de la Santé et la Recherche Médicale Unité 397, Endocrinologie et Communication Cellulaire, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Rangueil, 31403 Toulouse Cedex 04, France
Mol Endocrinol 15:2197-210. 2001..recently demonstrated that the very long 5'-untranslated region (5'-UTR) of the vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) mRNA contains two independent internal ribosome entry sites (IRES A and B)...
- Arteriolar and venular patterning in retinas of mice selectively expressing VEGF isoformsIngeborg Stalmans
The Center for Transgene Technology and Gene Therapy, Flanders Interuniversity Institute for Biotechnology, Catholic University Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
J Clin Invest 109:327-36. 2002The murine VEGF gene is alternatively transcribed to yield the VEGF(120), VEGF(164), and VEGF(188) isoforms, which differ in their potential to bind to heparan sulfate and neuropilin-1 and to stimulate endothelial growth...
- Skeletal defects in VEGF(120/120) mice reveal multiple roles for VEGF in skeletogenesisElazar Zelzer
Harvard Medical School, Department of Cell Biology, 240 Longwood Avenue, Boston, MA, USA
Development 129:1893-904. 2002Angiogenesis is an essential component of skeletal development and VEGF signaling plays an important if not pivotal role in this process...
- VEGF is a modifier of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis in mice and humans and protects motoneurons against ischemic deathDiether Lambrechts
The Center for Transgene Technology and Gene Therapy, Flanders Interuniversity Institute for Biotechnology and Department of Neurology, University Hospital Gasthuisberg, KU Leuven, Leuven, B 3000, Belgium
Nat Genet 34:383-94. 2003..We recently reported that reduced expression of Vegfa causes ALS-like motoneuron degeneration in Vegfa(delta/delta) mice...
- Cortical and retinal defects caused by dosage-dependent reductions in VEGF-A paracrine signalingJody J Haigh
Mount Sinai Hospital, Samuel Lunenfeld Research Institute, Toronto, Canada
Dev Biol 262:225-41. 2003To determine the function of VEGF-A in nervous system development, we have utilized the Nestin promoter-driven Cre recombinase transgene, in conjunction with a conditional and hypomorphic VEGF-A allele, to lower VEGF-A activity in neural ..
- Soluble VEGF isoforms are essential for establishing epiphyseal vascularization and regulating chondrocyte development and survivalChrista Maes
Laboratory of Experimental Medicine and Endocrinology, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
J Clin Invest 113:188-99. 2004b>VEGF is crucial for metaphyseal bone vascularization...
- VEGFA is necessary for chondrocyte survival during bone developmentElazar Zelzer
Department of Cell Biology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Development 131:2161-71. 2004To directly examine the role of vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGFA) in cartilage development, we conditionally knocked out Vegfa in chondrocytes, using the Col2a1 promoter to drive expression of Cre recombinase...
- VEGF-A signaling through Flk-1 is a critical facilitator of early embryonic lung epithelial to endothelial crosstalk and branching morphogenesisPierre Marie del Moral
Developmental Biology Program, Saban Research Institute, Children s Hospital Los Angeles, Department of Pediatric Surgery, USC Keck School of Medicine, 4650 Sunset Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90027, USA
Dev Biol 290:177-88. 2006Vascular endothelial growth factor-A (VEGF-A) signaling directs both vasculogenesis and angiogenesis...
- Autocrine VEGF-A system in podocytes regulates podocin and its interaction with CD2APFangxia Guan
Dept of Pediatrics Nephrology, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, 1300 Morris Park Ave, Forchheimer Bldg, Rm 708, Bronx, NY 10461, USA
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 291:F422-8. 2006Vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF-A) signaling is required for endothelial cell differentiation, vasculogenesis, angiogenesis, and vascular patterning...
- VEGF165b, an endogenous C-terminal splice variant of VEGF, inhibits retinal neovascularization in miceO Konopatskaya
Microvascular Research Laboratories, Preclinical Veterinary School, Department of Physiology, University of Bristol, Bristol, UK
Mol Vis 12:626-32. 2006..These conditions are initiated and sustained by hypoxia dependent vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) expression in the eye...
- Long-term global retinal microvascular changes in a transgenic vascular endothelial growth factor mouse modelW Y Shen
Centre of Ophthalmology and Visual Science, The University of Western Australia, Nedlands, Perth, WA, Australia
Diabetologia 49:1690-701. 2006Vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) plays a pivotal role in the pathogenesis of diabetic retinopathy...
- Anti-PlGF inhibits growth of VEGF(R)-inhibitor-resistant tumors without affecting healthy vesselsChristian Fischer
Department for Transgene Technology and Gene Therapy, VIB, 3000, Leuven, Belgium
Cell 131:463-75. 2007..the therapeutic potential and mechanisms of alphaPlGF, an antibody against placental growth factor (PlGF), a VEGF homolog, which regulates the angiogenic switch in disease, but not in health...
- Neural progenitor cells treated with EPO induce angiogenesis through the production of VEGFLei Wang
Department of Neurology, Henry Ford Health Sciences Center, Detroit, Michigan 48202, USA
J Cereb Blood Flow Metab 28:1361-8. 2008..cells with rhEPO significantly increased their expression and secretion of vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) and activated phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase/Akt (PI3K/Akt) and extracellular signal-regulated kinase (ERK1/2)...
- Expression of vascular endothelial growth factor during embryonic angiogenesis and endothelial cell differentiationG Breier
Max Planck Institut fur Psychiatrie, Martinsried, FRG
Development 114:521-32. 1992Vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) is a secreted angiogenic mitogen whose target cell specificity appears to be restricted to vascular endothelial cells...
- Heterozygous embryonic lethality induced by targeted inactivation of the VEGF geneN Ferrara
Department of Cardiovascular Research, Genentech Inc, South San Francisco, California 94080, USA
Nature 380:439-42. 1996..The endothelial cell-specific mitogen vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) is a major mediator of pathological angiogenesis...
- The mouse gene for vascular endothelial growth factor. Genomic structure, definition of the transcriptional unit, and characterization of transcriptional and post-transcriptional regulatory sequencesD T Shima
Program in Biological and Biomedical Sciences and the Department of Pathology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
J Biol Chem 271:3877-83. 1996..genomic organization and functional characterization of the mouse gene encoding vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF), a polypeptide implicated in embryonic vascular development and postnatal angiogenesis...
- Activation of vascular endothelial growth factor gene transcription by hypoxia-inducible factor 1J A Forsythe
Department of Physiology, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, 21201, USA
Mol Cell Biol 16:4604-13. 1996Expression of vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) is induced in cells exposed to hypoxia or ischemia...
- SPARC (BM-40, osteonectin) inhibits the mitogenic effect of vascular endothelial growth factor on microvascular endothelial cellsC Kupprion
Department of Biological Structure, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, Washington 98195 7420, USA
J Biol Chem 273:29635-40. 1998..endothelial cells (HMEC) stimulated by the endothelial cell mitogen vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF)...
- Impaired myocardial angiogenesis and ischemic cardiomyopathy in mice lacking the vascular endothelial growth factor isoforms VEGF164 and VEGF188P Carmeliet
The Center for Transgene Technology and Gene Therapy, Flanders Interuniversity Institute for Biotechnology, KU Leuven, Belgium
Nat Med 5:495-502. 1999
- Clinical applications of angiogenic growth factors and their inhibitorsN Ferrara
Department of Molecular Oncology Genentech DNA Way South San Francisco, California 94080, USA
Nat Med 5:1359-64. 1999..Conversely, inhibition of the action of key regulators of angiogenesis, such as VEGF, constitutes a promising approach for the treatment of solid tumors and intraocular neovascular syndromes...
- Leakage-resistant blood vessels in mice transgenically overexpressing angiopoietin-1G Thurston
Department of Anatomy and Cardiovascular Research Institute, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94143 0452, USA
Science 286:2511-4. 1999Angiopoietin-1 (Ang1) and vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) are endothelial cell-specific growth factors...
- Activin receptor-like kinase 1 modulates transforming growth factor-beta 1 signaling in the regulation of angiogenesisS P Oh
Cardiovascular Research Center, Massachusetts General Hospital, Charlestown, MA 02129, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 97:2626-31. 2000..Taken together, our results suggest that the balance between the ALK1 and ALK5 signaling pathways in endothelial cells plays a crucial role in determining vascular endothelial properties during angiogenesis...
- Regulation of VEGF and VEGF receptor expression in the rodent mammary gland during pregnancy, lactation, and involutionM S Pepper
Department of Morphology, University Medical Center, Geneva, Switzerland
Dev Dyn 218:507-24. 2000..b>VEGF, VEGF-C, and VEGFRs -1, -2, and -3 were found to be expressed in post-pubertal (virgin) rodent mammary glands...
- Differential expression of VEGF isoforms in mouse during development and in the adultY S Ng
Department of Ophthalmology, Harvard Medical School and Schepens Eye Research Institute, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Dev Dyn 220:112-21. 2001Vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF), a factor that is critical for development of the vascular system in mouse embryos, exists as at least three isoforms, VEGF120, VEGF164, and VEGF188...
- Angiogenesis and prostate cancer: identification of a molecular progression switchW J Huss
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Cancer Res 61:2736-43. 2001..adhesion molecule-1 (PECAM1/CD31), hypoxia-induced factor-1alpha (HIF-1alpha), vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF), and the cognate receptors VEGFR1 and VEGFR2 were characterized...
- A novel role for VEGF in endocardial cushion formation and its potential contribution to congenital heart defectsY Dor
Department of Molecular Biology, Hebrew University Hadassah Medical School, Jerusalem 91120, Israel
Development 128:1531-8. 2001..on the correct dosage of the angiogenic growth factor and vascular morphogen vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF)...
- Hyperglycemia-induced vasculopathy in the murine conceptus is mediated via reductions of VEGF-A expression and VEGF receptor activationE Pinter
Department of Pediatrics, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06520, USA
Am J Pathol 158:1199-206. 2001..Interestingly, targeted mutations of several genes (including VEGF and VEGF receptors) and many teratogenic agents (including excess D-glucose) that give rise to embryonic lethal ..
- A cardiac myocyte vascular endothelial growth factor paracrine pathway is required to maintain cardiac functionF J Giordano
Cardiovascular Gene Therapy Program, Department of Medicine, Yale University School of Medicine, Boyer Center for Molecular Medicine, 295 Congress Avenue, Room 336C, New Haven, CT 06520, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 98:5780-5. 2001..Further, they establish an adult murine model of hypovascular nonnecrotic cardiac contractile dysfunction...
- New isoforms of VEGF are translated from alternative initiation CUG codons located in its 5'UTRM Meiron
Technion, Department of Food Engineering and Biotechnology, Haifa, 32000, Israel
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 282:1053-60. 2001Vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) has a central role in normal as well as in tumor angiogenesis...
- Tissue specific regulation of VEGF expression during bone development requires Cbfa1/Runx2E Zelzer
Department of Cell Biology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Mech Dev 106:97-106. 2001Vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) is a critical regulator of angiogenesis during development, but little is known about the factors that control its expression...
- Vascular abnormalities and deregulation of VEGF in Lkb1-deficient miceA Ylikorkala
Molecular and Cancer Biology Program, Haartman Institute and Biomedicum Helsinki, Post Office Box 63, University of Helsinki, Helsinki 00014, Finland
Science 293:1323-6. 2001..These phenotypes were associated with tissue-specific deregulation of vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) expression, including a marked increase in the amount of VEGF messenger RNA...
- Impaired angiogenesis and endochondral bone formation in mice lacking the vascular endothelial growth factor isoforms VEGF164 and VEGF188Christa Maes
Laboratory of Experimental Medicine and Endocrinology, KU Leuven, B 3000, Leuven, Belgium
Mech Dev 111:61-73. 2002Vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF)-mediated angiogenesis is an important part of bone formation...
- Glomerular-specific alterations of VEGF-A expression lead to distinct congenital and acquired renal diseasesVera Eremina
The Samuel Lunenfeld Research Institute, Mount Sinai Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Clin Invest 111:707-16. 2003..Dysregulation of VEGF expression within the glomerulus has been demonstrated in a wide range of primary and acquired renal diseases, ..
- Connective tissue growth factor coordinates chondrogenesis and angiogenesis during skeletal developmentSanja Ivkovic
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Development 130:2779-91. 2003..These defects are linked to decreased expression of vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) in the hypertrophic zones of Ctgf mutants...
- Vascular endothelial growth factor modulates skeletal myoblast functionAntonia Germani
Laboratorio di Biologia Vascolare e Terapia Genica, Centro Cardiologico Fondazione I Monzino, Istituto di Ricovero e Cura a Carattere Scientifico, Milano, Italy
Am J Pathol 163:1417-28. 2003Vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) expression is enhanced in ischemic skeletal muscle and is thought to play a key role in the angiogenic response to ischemia...
- Impaired brain angiogenesis and neuronal apoptosis induced by conditional homozygous inactivation of vascular endothelial growth factorSabine Raab
Max Plank Institut für physiologische und klinische Forschung, Bad Nauheim, Germany
Thromb Haemost 91:595-605. 2004Vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) is essential for the differentiation of the primitive embryonic vascular system and has been implicated in the vascularization of organs...
- Aminopeptidase A is a functional target in angiogenic blood vesselsSerena Marchio
The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Cancer Cell 5:151-62. 2004..Finally, we successfully treated tumor-bearing mice with APA binding peptides or anti-APA blocking monoclonal antibodies. These data show that APA is a regulator of blood vessel formation, and can serve as a functional vascular target...
- Capillary regression in vascular endothelial growth factor-deficient skeletal muscleKechun Tang
Division of Physiology, Department of Medicine, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, California 92093 0623, USA
Physiol Genomics 18:63-9. 2004..physiological adaptation to increased metabolic demand, possibly dependent on vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF), the increased expression of which is a known early response to exercise...
- Induction of cutaneous delayed-type hypersensitivity reactions in VEGF-A transgenic mice results in chronic skin inflammation associated with persistent lymphatic hyperplasiaRainer Kunstfeld
Cutaneous Biology Research Center, Massachusetts General Hospital, Bldg 149, 13th St, Charlestown, MA 02129, USA
Blood 104:1048-57. 2004Vascular endothelial growth factor-A (VEGF-A) expression is up-regulated in several inflammatory diseases including psoriasis, delayed-type hypersensitivity (DTH) reactions, and rheumatoid arthritis...
- Poly(A)-binding protein-interacting protein 2, a strong regulator of vascular endothelial growth factor mRNACercina Onesto
Institute of Signaling, Developmental Biology and Cancer Research, CNRS UMR 6543, Centre Antoine Lacassagne, 33 Avenue de Valombrose, 06189 Nice Cedex 2, France
J Biol Chem 279:34217-26. 2004Expression of vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) is tightly regulated, particularly at the level of its mRNA stability, which is essentially mediated through the 3'-untranslated region (3'-UTR) of VEGF mRNA...
- Translational regulation of vascular endothelial growth factor expression in renal epithelial cells by angiotensin IIDenis Feliers
Dept of Medicine, Mail Code 7882, Univ of Texas Health Science Center, 7703 Floyd Curl Drive, San Antonio, TX 78229 3900, USA
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 288:F521-9. 2005..We investigated whether ANG II regulated vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) synthesis in proximal tubular epithelial (MCT) cells...
- High throughput screening for modulators of the transcriptional coactivator PGC-1Zoltan Arany; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable]..
- Angiogenesis:Novel Basic Science Insight & Human TherapyNapoleone Ferrara; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Zinc Finger Proteins to Modify Heart FunctionFrank J Giordano; Fiscal Year: 2010..have previously validated this approach in vivo and in vitro with engineered ZFPs that activate expression of the VEGF-A gene...
- Role of VEGF in Testis MorphogenesisAndrea S Cupp; Fiscal Year: 2010..The objective of this proposal is to identify Vascular Endothelial Growth Factor (VEGF) mediated mechanisms that induce endothelial cell migration and sex-specific vascular development in the testis...
- Physiological Consequences of Hypoxia and Lung DiseasePeter Wagner; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Role of Glypicans in HGF Mediated Cell MorphogenesisAnil Karihaloo; Fiscal Year: 2006..These specific aims are designed to hopefully lead to a better understanding of the role of Gpc expression during kidney development vis-a-vis HGF. ..
- Phenotypic screen in mouse embryonic for TGF-beta signaling mutationsJAY VIVIAN; Fiscal Year: 2007..Cell-based mutation screening strategies as developed in this proposal can be applied to any active biochemical pathway in mouse ES cells, to generate mouse lines for analysis in vivo. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- LDL Modification in Diabetic ComplicationsMARGO COHEN; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- DEVELOPMENTAL CONTROL OF CYTOKERATIN EXPRESSIONRobert Oshima; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- Molecular Mechanisms of Testis DevelopmentANDREA CUPP; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Molecular Egress In Gene DeliveryFrank Giordano; Fiscal Year: 2005..3) To investigate the ability of specific peptide targeting motifs to direct intracellular trafficking and facilitate macromolecular translocation across the continuous endothelia in the context of targeted AAV and adenovirus vectors. ..
- Point-of-Care Measurement of Glycated HemoglobinMARGO COHEN; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- ETS TRANSCRIPTION FACTORS IN DEVELOPMENT AND CANCERRobert Oshima; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- Role of VEGF in Testis Development and FunctionANDREA CUPP; Fiscal Year: 2004..experiments, in our laboratory, have established that one angiogenic factor, Vascular Endothelial Growth Factor (VEGF), and its receptor VEGFR-2 are present at the time of cord formation in cells that direct testis differentiation...
- MEDIATORS OF BLOOD-RETINAL BARRIER BREAKDOWNSTANLEY VINORES; Fiscal Year: 2002DESCRIPTION (Adapted from applicant's abstract): The investigator hypothesizes that VEGF plays a central role in the development of macular edema in ischemic retinopathies and that other factors including IGF-I may also participate...
- REGULATION OF MACROPHAGE DEPENDENT ANGIOGENIC ACTIVITYSAMUEL LEIBOVICH; Fiscal Year: 2002..b>VEGF is an important component of MDAA...
- Reducing Renal TGF-B in Diabetic GlomerulosclerosisMARGO COHEN; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- An Ets2 dependent stromal restriction of breast cancerRobert Oshima; Fiscal Year: 2007..Forced expression of VEGF accelerates mammary tumor appearance and limiting Ets2 delays tumor appearance...
- HYPOXIA-INDUCED TRANSCRIPTION IN CARDIOVASCULAR FUNCTIONFrank Giordano; Fiscal Year: 2004..3) Determine the role of cardiac myocyte specific HIF-1alpha dependent signaling in myocyte survival and apoptosis pathways. ..
- VASCULAR ENDOTHELIAL GROWTH FACTOR IN LUNG ISCHEMIAPatrice Becker; Fiscal Year: 2002..Vascular endothelial growth factor is a potent endothelial cell-specific mitogen, also called vascular permeability factor because of its ability to induce vascular leakage of plasma proteins...
- Neuropilin-1 and VEGF-mediated pulmonary edemaPatrice Becker; Fiscal Year: 2009Vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) is a potent mediator of enhanced vascular permeability, and published data support a significant role for VEGF in development of the acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS)...