Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Ucp3
Description: uncoupling protein 3 (mitochondrial, proton carrier)
Alias: AI645527, Slc25a9, UCP-3, mitochondrial uncoupling protein 3, UCP 3, solute carrier family 25 member 9, uncoupling protein 3, mitochondrial
- UCP3 translocates lipid hydroperoxide and mediates lipid hydroperoxide-dependent mitochondrial uncouplingAssunta Lombardi
Dipartimento delle Scienze Biologiche, Universita degli Studi di Napoli Federico II, Via Mezzocannone 8, 80134 Napoli, Italy
J Biol Chem 285:16599-605. 2010Although the literature contains many studies on the function of UCP3, its role is still being debated...
- The transcription factor Nrf2 promotes survival by enhancing the expression of uncoupling protein 3 under conditions of oxidative stressAndrea Anedda
Servicio de Inmunologia, Hospital Universitario de la Princesa, Instituto de Investigación Sanitaria Princesa IP, 28006 Madrid, Spain
Free Radic Biol Med 61:395-407. 2013Uncoupling protein 3 (UCP3) is a member of the mitochondrial inner membrane carrier superfamily that modulates energy efficiency by catalyzing proton conductance and thus decreasing the production of superoxide anion...
- Uncoupling protein 3 transcription is regulated by peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor (alpha) in the adult rodent heartM E Young
Division of Cardiology, Department of Integrative Biology, University of Texas Houston Medical Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
FASEB J 15:833-45. 2001..These results suggest that in the adult rodent heart, UCP-3 expression is regulated by PPARalpha. In contrast, cardiac UCP-2 expression is regulated in part by a fatty acid-dependent, PPARalpha-independent mechanism...
- In vivo effects of uncoupling protein-3 gene disruption on mitochondrial energy metabolismG W Cline
Department of Internal Medicine and the Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut, 06520, USA
J Biol Chem 276:20240-4. 2001To clarify the role of uncoupling protein-3 (UCP3) in skeletal muscle, we used NMR and isotopic labeling experiments to evaluate the effect of UCP3 knockout (UCP3KO) in mice on the regulation of energy metabolism in vivo...
- Effects of fasting on muscle mitochondrial energetics and fatty acid metabolism in Ucp3(-/-) and wild-type miceV Bezaire
Department of Biochemistry, Microbiology, and Immunology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 281:E975-82. 2001Uncoupling protein-3 (UCP3) is a mitochondrial carrier protein of as yet undefined physiological function...
- Mice overexpressing human uncoupling protein-3 in skeletal muscle are hyperphagic and leanJ C Clapham
Department of Vascular Biology, SmithKline Beecham Pharmaceuticals, Harlow, Essex, UK
Nature 406:415-8. 2000..This provides evidence that skeletal muscle UCP-3 has the potential to influence metabolic rate and glucose homeostasis in the whole animal...
- Superoxide activates mitochondrial uncoupling proteinsKarim S Echtay
Medical Research Council Dunn Human Nutrition Unit, Hills Road, Cambridge CB2 2XY, UK
Nature 415:96-9. 2002..The functions of its homologues, UCP2 and UCP3, in other tissues are debated...
- Energy metabolism in uncoupling protein 3 gene knockout miceA J Vidal-Puig
Division of Endocrinology, Department of Medicine, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02215, USA
J Biol Chem 275:16258-66. 2000Uncoupling protein 3 (UCP3) is a member of the mitochondrial anion carrier superfamily...
- Lack of obesity and normal response to fasting and thyroid hormone in mice lacking uncoupling protein-3D W Gong
Diabetes Branch, NIDDK, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
J Biol Chem 275:16251-7. 2000Uncoupling protein-3 (UCP3) is a mitochondrial protein that can diminish the mitochondrial membrane potential. Levels of muscle Ucp3 mRNA are increased by thyroid hormone and fasting...
- Hexokinase II acts through UCP3 to suppress mitochondrial reactive oxygen species production and maintain aerobic respirationRyan J Mailloux
Faculty of Medicine, Department of Biochemistry, Microbiology, and Immunology, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Canada
Biochem J 437:301-11. 2011b>UCP3 (uncoupling protein-3) mitigates mitochondrial ROS (reactive oxygen species) production, but the mechanisms are poorly understood...
- Role of uncoupling protein 3 in ischemia-reperfusion injury, arrhythmias, and preconditioningCevher Ozcan
Section of Cardiovascular Medicine, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 304:H1192-200. 2013..Cardiac UCP3 knockout (UCP3(-/-)) and wild-type (WT) mice hearts were subjected to ex vivo and in vivo models of I/R injury and ..
- Genetic deletion of uncoupling protein 3 exaggerates apoptotic cell death in the ischemic heart leading to heart failureCinzia Perrino
Department of Advanced Biomedical Sciences, Federico II University, Naples, Italy
J Am Heart Assoc 2:e000086. 2013Uncoupling protein 3 (ucp3) is a member of the mitochondrial anion carrier superfamily of proteins uncoupling mitochondrial respiration...
- A signalling role for 4-hydroxy-2-nonenal in regulation of mitochondrial uncouplingKarim S Echtay
MRC Dunn Human Nutrition Unit, Hills Road, Cambridge CB2 2XY, UK
EMBO J 22:4103-10. 2003..and other 2-alkenals) specifically induce uncoupling of mitochondria through the uncoupling proteins UCP1, UCP2 and UCP3 and the adenine nucleotide translocase (ANT)...
- Uncoupling protein 3 protects aconitase against inactivation in isolated skeletal muscle mitochondriaDarren A Talbot
MRC Dunn Human Nutrition Unit, Hills Road, Cambridge CB2 2XY, UK
Biochim Biophys Acta 1709:150-6. 2005..Activators include superoxide and reactive alkenals, suggesting new physiological functions for UCP2 and UCP3: their activation by superoxide when protonmotive force is high causes mild uncoupling, which lowers protonmotive ..
- The effect of UCP3 overexpression on mitochondrial ROS production in skeletal muscle of young versus aged miceMiranda Nabben
Department of Human Biology, Nutrition and Toxicology Research Institute Maastricht, Maastricht University, PO Box 616, 6200 MD, Maastricht, The Netherlands
FEBS Lett 582:4147-52. 2008Uncoupling protein 3 (UCP3) is suggested to protect mitochondria against aging and lipid-induced damage, possibly via modulation of reactive oxygen species (ROS) production...
- Essential role for uncoupling protein-3 in mitochondrial adaptation to fasting but not in fatty acid oxidation or fatty acid anion exportErin L Seifert
Department of Biochemistry, Microbiology and Immunology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
J Biol Chem 283:25124-31. 2008Uncoupling protein-3 (UCP3) is a mitochondrial inner membrane protein expressed most abundantly in skeletal muscle and to a lesser extent in heart and brown adipose tissue...
- ATF-1 is a hypoxia-responsive transcriptional activator of skeletal muscle mitochondrial-uncoupling protein 3Zhongping Lu
Translational Medicine Branch, NHLBI, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 1454, USA
J Biol Chem 283:23410-8. 2008Hypoxia induces oxidative damage in skeletal muscle. Uncoupling protein 3 (UCP3) is the skeletal muscle enriched uncoupling protein and has previously been shown to confer resistance against oxidative stress...
- Induction of endogenous uncoupling protein 3 suppresses mitochondrial oxidant emission during fatty acid-supported respirationEthan J Anderson
John B Pierce Laboratory and Cellular and Molecular Physiology, Yale University, New Haven, Connecticut 06519, USA
J Biol Chem 282:31257-66. 2007Uncoupling protein 3 (UCP3) expression increases dramatically in skeletal muscle under metabolic states associated with elevated lipid metabolism, yet the function of UCP3 in a physiological context remains controversial...
- Uncoupling protein-3 is a mediator of thermogenesis regulated by thyroid hormone, beta3-adrenergic agonists, and leptinD W Gong
Diabetes Branch, NIDDK, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 1770, USA
J Biol Chem 272:24129-32. 1997..We have cloned a third member of the UCP family, UCP3. UCP3 is expressed at high levels in muscle and rodent brown adipose tissue...
- Vitamin D3/VDR resists diet-induced obesity by modulating UCP3 expression in musclesYue Fan
Department of Medicine and Clinical Science, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Mukogawa Women s University, Hyogo, 663 8179, Japan
J Biomed Sci 23:56. 2016..The impact of vitamin D3 (VD3) on obesity has been reported in the past. Our study was aimed at investigating the possible mechanisms by which VD3 affects obesity induced by a high fat diet...
- Protective Effect of Peroxisome Proliferator-Activated Receptor α Activation against Cardiac Ischemia-Reperfusion Injury Is Related to Upregulation of Uncoupling Protein-3Jong Wook Song
Department of Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine, Yonsei University College of Medicine, Seoul 03722, Republic of Korea Anesthesia and Pain Research Institute, Yonsei University College of Medicine, Seoul 03722, Republic of Korea
Oxid Med Cell Longev 2016:3539649. 2016..WY-14643 increased UCP3 expression in vivo. Myocardial infarct size was decreased in the WY-14643 group (76 ± 8% versus 42 ± 12%, P<0...
- Genetic deletion in uncoupling protein 3 augments 18F-fluorodeoxyglucose cardiac uptake in the ischemic heartSara Gargiulo
Department of Advanced Biomedical Sciences, University Federico II, Via Pansini 5, 80131 Naples, Italy
BMC Cardiovasc Disord 14:98. 2014We investigated the effects of uncoupling protein 3 (UCP3) genetic deletion on 18F-fluorodeoxyglucose (FDG) cardiac uptake by positron emission tomography (PET)/computed tomography (CT) dedicated animal system after permanent coronary ..
- Skeletal muscle dysfunction is associated with derangements in mitochondrial bioenergetics (but not UCP3) in a rodent model of sepsisParjam S Zolfaghari
Bloomsbury Institute for Intensive Care Medicine, University College London, London, United Kingdom Department of Cell and Developmental Biology, University College London, London, United Kingdom
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 308:E713-25. 2015..Increased abundance of uncoupling protein-3 (UCP3) in sepsis suggests increased mitochondrial proton leak, which may reduce mitochondrial coupling efficiency but ..
- Muscle uncoupling protein 3 overexpression mimics endurance training and reduces circulating biomarkers of incomplete β-oxidationCeline Aguer
2M E H, Department of Biochemistry, Microbiology and Immunology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Ottawa, 451 Smyth Rd, Ottawa, ON K1H 8M5, Canada
FASEB J 27:4213-25. 2013..Uncoupling protein 3 (UCP3) is a mitochondrial inner membrane protein highly selectively expressed in skeletal muscle...
- Lactate administration increases mRNA expression of PGC-1α and UCP3 in mouse skeletal muscleYu Kitaoka
a Department of Sports Sciences, Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, The University of Tokyo, 3 8 1 Komaba, Meguro ku, Tokyo 153 8902, Japan
Appl Physiol Nutr Metab 41:695-8. 2016..USA). Among the top 15 genes with the largest fold change, increased expression of Ppargc1a, Pdk4, and Ucp3 was confirmed using real-time quantitative polymerase chain reaction...
- Human stanniocalcin-1 suppresses angiotensin II-induced superoxide generation in cardiomyocytes through UCP3-mediated anti-oxidant pathwayDajun Liu
Division of Nephrology Department of Medicine, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas, United States of America
PLoS ONE 7:e36994. 2012..STC1 localizes to the inner mitochondrial membrane and transgenic over-expression of STC1 is associated with increased energy utilization...
- Glutaredoxin-2 is required to control proton leak through uncoupling protein-3Ryan J Mailloux
Department of Biochemistry, Immunology, and Microbiology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario K1H 8M5, Canada
J Biol Chem 288:8365-79. 2013..Recently, we showed that the glutathionylation state of uncoupling protein-3 (UCP3) modulates the leak of protons back into the mitochondrial matrix, thus controlling reactive oxygen species ..
- Imprinted gene dosage is critical for the transition to independent lifeMarika Charalambous
Department of Physiology, Development and Neuroscience, University of Cambridge, Downing Street, Cambridge CB2 3EG, UK
Cell Metab 15:209-21. 2012..This shows that appropriate dosage control at imprinted loci can act as a critical determinant in postnatal survival during phases of physiological adaptation...
- UCP3 regulates cardiac efficiency and mitochondrial coupling in high fat-fed mice but not in leptin-deficient miceSihem Boudina
Division of Endocrinology, Metabolism, and Diabetes and Program in Molecular Medicine, University of Utah School of Medicine, Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
Diabetes 61:3260-9. 2012These studies investigate the role of uncoupling protein 3 (UCP3) in cardiac energy metabolism, cardiac O(2) consumption (MVO(2)), cardiac efficiency (CE), and mitochondrial uncoupling in high fat (HF)-fed or leptin-deficient mice...
- Significance of uncoupling protein 3 in mitochondrial function upon mid- and long-term dietary high-fat exposureMiranda Nabben
Departments of Human Biology, NUTRIM School for Nutrition, Toxicology and Metabolism, Maastricht University Medical Center, Maastricht, The Netherlands
FEBS Lett 585:4010-7. 2011Uncoupling protein 3 (UCP3) may reduce mitochondrial ROS production, and thereby protect against mitochondrial dysfunction in skeletal muscle. UCP3 has been suggested to specifically fulfill this role under high-fat conditions...
- Transforming growth factor β₁ oppositely regulates the hypertrophic and contractile response to β-adrenergic stimulation in the heartMichael Huntgeburth
Klinik III fur Innere Medizin, Herzzentrum der Universität zu Köln, Cologne, Germany
PLoS ONE 6:e26628. 2011..We aimed to characterize the functional network involving TGF-β₁, the renin-angiotensin system, and the β-adrenergic system in the heart...
- Muscle unloading-induced metabolic remodeling is associated with acute alterations in PPARdelta and UCP-3 expressionDawn J Mazzatti
Unilever Corporate Research, Colworth Park, Sharnbrook, Bedfordshire, United Kingdom
Physiol Genomics 34:149-61. 2008....
- Expression of uncoupling protein 3 and GLUT4 gene in skeletal muscle of preterm newborns: possible control by AMP-activated protein kinasePetr Brauner
Institute of Physiology, Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic, 142 20 Prague, Czech Republic
Pediatr Res 60:569-75. 2006..Pediatr Res 53: 691-697, 2003)] suggested impaired postnatal recruitment of the gene for mitochondrial uncoupling protein 3 (UCP3) by nutritional lipids in skeletal muscle of neonates delivered before approximately 26 wk of ..
- Energization-dependent endogenous activation of proton conductance in skeletal muscle mitochondriaNadeene Parker
MRC Dunn Human Nutrition Unit, Hills Road, Cambridge CB2 0XY, UK
Biochem J 412:131-9. 2008..specific for the adenine nucleotide translocase) was examined in skeletal muscle mitochondria from wild-type and Ucp3-knockout mice...
- Effects of UCP3 genotype, temperature and muscle type on energy turnover of resting mouse skeletal muscleC J Barclay
Molecular Medicine, National Heart and Lung Institute, Imperial College London, London, SW7 2AZ, UK
Pflugers Arch 457:857-64. 2009Uncoupling protein 3 (UCP3) is a mitochondrial transporter protein which, when over-expressed in mice, is associated with increased metabolic rate, increased feeding and low body weight...
- Long-term high-fat feeding induces greater fat storage in mice lacking UCP3Sheila R Costford
Faculty of Medicine, Department of Biochemistry, Microbiology, and Immunology, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 295:E1018-24. 2008Uncoupling protein-3 (UCP3) is a mitochondrial inner-membrane protein highly expressed in skeletal muscle...
- Characterization of survival and phenotype throughout the life span in UCP2/UCP3 genetically altered miceRoger B McDonald
Department of Nutrition, One Shields Avenue, University of California, Davis, CA 95616, USA
Exp Gerontol 43:1061-8. 2008..Positive-TG), their non-overexpressing littermates (Negative-TG), mice that do not expression UCP2 (UCP2KO) or UCP3 (UCP3KO), and wild-type C57BL/6J mice (WT-Control)...
- UCP3 overexpression neutralizes oxidative stress rather than nitrosative stress in mouse myotubesEsther Barreiro
Muscle and Respiratory System Research Unit Pneumology Department, IMIM Hospital del Mar, Centro de Investigación en Red de Enfermedades Respiratorias CibeRes, CEXS, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Barcelona Biomedical Research Park, Barcelona, Spain
FEBS Lett 583:350-6. 2009The deleterious effects of oxidants on proteins may be modified by overexpression of uncoupling protein 3 (UCP3) in skeletal muscle cells exposed to hyperoxia or H(2)O(2)...
- Involvement of the vitamin D receptor in energy metabolism: regulation of uncoupling proteinsKari E Wong
Department of Medicine, Committee on Molecular Metabolism and Nutrition, The University of Chicago, MC 4076, 5841 S Maryland Ave, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 296:E820-8. 2009..beta-oxidation in the white adipose tissue was higher, and the expression of uncoupling protein (UCP) 1, UCP2 and UCP3 was markedly upregulated in VDR-null mice, suggesting a higher energy expenditure in the mutant mice...
- Uncoupling protein-3 as a molecular determinant of the action of 3,5,3'-triiodothyronine on energy metabolismPierre Flandin
Department of Cell Physiology and Metabolism, Medical University Centre, Geneva, Switzerland
Endocrine 36:246-54. 2009..To test the possibility that T3 might act via muscle uncoupling protein-3 (UCP3), an UCP3 knockout (KO) model was used...
- Rapid turnover of mitochondrial uncoupling protein 3Vian Azzu
Medical Research Council Mitochondrial Biology Unit, Hills Road, Cambridge CB2 0XY, UK
Biochem J 426:13-7. 2010b>UCP3 (uncoupling protein 3) and its homologues UCP2 and UCP1 are regulators of mitochondrial function. UCP2 is known to have a short half-life of approx...
- Isoleucine prevents the accumulation of tissue triglycerides and upregulates the expression of PPARalpha and uncoupling protein in diet-induced obese miceJunko Nishimura
Department of Internal Medicine, Oita University, Yufu Hasama, Oita, 879 5593 Japan
J Nutr 140:496-500. 2010..hepatic levels of protein CD36/fatty acid translocase, PPARalpha, and uncoupling protein (UCP) 2 and the levels of UCP3 in skeletal muscle were all greater in the Ile group than in the control mice (P < 0.05)...
- Absence of uncoupling protein-3 leads to greater activation of an adenine nucleotide translocase-mediated proton conductance in skeletal muscle mitochondria from calorie restricted miceLisa Bevilacqua
Department of Biochemistry, Microbiology and Immunology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada KIH 8M5
Biochim Biophys Acta 1797:1389-97. 2010..by decreased mitochondrial reactive oxygen species generation and increased uncoupling protein-3 protein (UCP3) expression...
- Cold tolerance of UCP1-ablated mice: a skeletal muscle mitochondria switch toward lipid oxidation with marked UCP3 up-regulation not associated with increased basal, fatty acid- or ROS-induced uncoupling or enhanced GDP effectsIrina G Shabalina
The Wenner Gren Institute, Stockholm University, SE 106 91 Stockholm, Sweden
Biochim Biophys Acta 1797:968-80. 2010..The content of UCP3 was increased 3-4 fold, but despite this, endogenous superoxide could not invoke a higher proton leak, and the ..
- A novel intronic peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma enhancer in the uncoupling protein (UCP) 3 gene as a regulator of both UCP2 and -3 expression in adipocytesAnne Bugge
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Southern Denmark, Campusvej 55, 5230 Odense M, Denmark
J Biol Chem 285:17310-7. 2010..UCP2 is ubiquitously expressed, while UCP3 is found primarily in muscles and adipose tissue...
- The asparaginyl hydroxylase factor inhibiting HIF-1alpha is an essential regulator of metabolismNa Zhang
Molecular Biology Section, Division of Biological Sciences, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093, USA
Cell Metab 11:364-78. 2010..These results demonstrate that FIH acts to a significant degree through the nervous system to regulate metabolism...
- Uncoupling protein-3 lowers reactive oxygen species production in isolated mitochondriaLaurence J Toime
Medical Research Council Mitochondrial Biology Unit, Hills Road, Cambridge CB2 0XY, UK
Free Radic Biol Med 49:606-11. 2010..The uncoupling proteins (UCP1, UCP2, and UCP3) and adenine nucleotide translocase induce proton leak in response to exogenously added fatty acids, superoxide, or ..
- Acute starvation in C57BL/6J mice increases myocardial UCP2 and UCP3 protein expression levels and decreases mitochondrial bio-energetic functionChun Ming Wang
Department of Physiology, Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, National University of Singapore, Singapore
Stress 14:66-72. 2011..05). These bio-energetic functional changes were associated with increases in mitochondrial UCP2 and UCP3 protein expression...
- Glutathionylation acts as a control switch for uncoupling proteins UCP2 and UCP3Ryan J Mailloux
Department of Biochemistry, Microbiology, and Immunology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, K1H 8M5
J Biol Chem 286:21865-75. 2011..However, the molecular control mechanism(s) governing these proteins remains elusive. Here we reveal that UCP2 and UCP3 contain reactive cysteine residues that can be conjugated to glutathione...
- Uncoupled respiration, ROS production, acute lipotoxicity and oxidative damage in isolated skeletal muscle mitochondria from UCP3-ablated miceMiranda Nabben
Department of Human Biology, NUTRIM School for Nutrition, Toxicology and Metabolism, Maastricht University Medical Centre, The Netherlands
Biochim Biophys Acta 1807:1095-105. 2011The function of uncoupling protein 3 (UCP3) is still not established. Mitochondrial uncoupling, control of ROS production, protection against lipotoxicity and protection against oxidative stress are functions classically discussed...
- Absence of mitochondrial uncoupling protein 3: effect on thymus and spleen in the fed and fasted miceOrlagh M Kelly
School of Biochemistry and Immunology, Trinity College Dublin, Ireland
Biochim Biophys Acta 1807:1064-74. 2011b>Mitochondrial uncoupling protein 3 (UCP3) is constitutively expressed in mitochondria from thymus and spleen of mice, and confocal microscopy has been used to visualize UCP3 in situ in mouse thymocytes...
- Activators of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-alpha induce the expression of the uncoupling protein-3 gene in skeletal muscle: a potential mechanism for the lipid intake-dependent activation of uncoupling protein-3 gene expression at birthS Brun
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Barcelona, Spain
Diabetes 48:1217-22. 1999..It is proposed that the UCP-3 gene is predominantly regulated in neonatal muscle by PPAR-alpha activation...
- Oxidative damage and phospholipid fatty acyl composition in skeletal muscle mitochondria from mice underexpressing or overexpressing uncoupling protein 3Martin D Brand
MRC Dunn Human Nutrition Unit, Hills Road, Cambridge CB2 2XY, U K
Biochem J 368:597-603. 2002..muscle mitochondria isolated from mice genetically engineered to underexpress or overexpress uncoupling protein 3 (UCP3)...
- Identification of seven loci for static glucokinesis and dynamic glucokinesis in miceSei Komatsu
Laboratory for Genome Exploration Research Group, RIKEN Genomic Sciences Center GSC, RIKEN Yokohama Institute, Suehirocho, Tsurumi ku, Kanagawa, Japan
Mamm Genome 13:293-8. 2002..Bwt1k was linked to obesity. Thus, the genetic factors for static glucokinesis and those for dynamic glucokinesis partially overlapped...
- Excess recovery heat production by isolated muscles from mice overexpressing uncoupling protein-3N A Curtin
Biological Structure and Function Section, Division of Biomedical Sciences, Faculty of Medicine, Sir Alexander Fleming Building, Imperial College, London SW7 2AZ, UK
J Physiol 542:231-5. 2002..729 +/- 0.072 relative units. The extra recovery heat represents inefficient recovery in UCP-3tg fibres. This is the first direct evidence of enhanced energy dissipation as heat when UCP-3tg is overexpressed...
- Understanding adipose tissue development from transgenic animal modelsPhilippe Valet
INSERM Unit 317, Louis Bugnard Institute, Paul Sabatier University, Bldg L3, Rangueil University Hospital, 31403 Toulouse Cedex 4, France
J Lipid Res 43:835-60. 2002..However, lack of phenotypes also illustrates the capacity of animals to set up adaptive mechanisms...
- The basal proton conductance of skeletal muscle mitochondria from transgenic mice overexpressing or lacking uncoupling protein-3Susana Cadenas
Medical Research Council Dunn Human Nutrition Unit, Hills Road, Cambridge CB2 2XY, United Kingdom
J Biol Chem 277:2773-8. 2002The ability of native uncoupling protein-3 (UCP3) to uncouple mitochondrial oxidative phosphorylation is controversial...
- Mitochondrial efficiency: lessons learned from transgenic miceM E Harper
Department of Biochemistry, Microbiology and Immunology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Ottawa, 451 Smyth Rd, Ottawa, Ont, Canada K1H 8M5
Biochim Biophys Acta 1504:159-72. 2001..Many studies have also shown that genetic background can affect phenotypic outcomes, and that the upregulated expression of genes that are related to the modified gene often complicates the interpretation of findings...
- First evidence of uncoupling protein-2 (UCP-2) and -3 (UCP-3) gene expression in piglet skeletal muscle and adipose tissueM Damon
INRA, Station de Recherches Porcines, 35590, Saint Gilles, France
Gene 246:133-41. 2000..In the light of the improving knowledge on the UCPs family, we decided to examine both UCP2 and UCP3 mRNA expression in piglet skeletal muscle and adipose tissue...
- Characterization and chromosomal mapping of a mouse ortholog of the late-infantile ceroid-lipofuscinosis gene CLN2M L Katz
Mason Eye Institute, University of Missouri School of Medicine, One Hospital Drive, Columbia, Missouri 65212, USA
Mamm Genome 10:1050-3. 1999..Characterization of the mouse Cln2 gene will facilitate generation of a mouse model for late-infantile ceroid-lipofuscinosis by gene targeting and identification of functionally important regions of the Cln2 protein...
- Uncoupling protein-3 (UCP3) mRNA expression in reconstituted human muscle after myoblast transplantation in RAG2-/-/gamma c/C5(-) immunodeficient miceNolwen Guigal
Institut de Recherches Servier, Division de Pharmacologie Moleculaire et Cellulaire, 125 Chemin de Ronde, 78290 Croissy sur Seine, France
J Biol Chem 277:47407-11. 2002Uncoupling protein-3 (UCP3), which is expressed abundantly in skeletal muscle, is one of the carrier proteins dissipating the transmitochondrial electrochemical gradient as heat and has therefore been implicated in the regulation of ..
- Overexpression of GLUT4 in mice causes up-regulation of UCP3 mRNA in skeletal muscleN Tsuboyama-Kasaoka
Division of Clinical Nutrition, National Institute of Health and Nutrition, 1 23 1 Toyama, Shinjuku ku, Tokyo, 162 8636, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 258:187-93. 1999b>Mitochondrial uncoupling protein 3 (UCP3) is expressed in skeletal muscles. We have hypothesized that increased glucose flux in skeletal muscles may lead to increased UCP3 expression...
- Genomic organization and regulation by dietary fat of the uncoupling protein 3 and 2 genesD W Gong
Diabetes Branch, NIDDK, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland, 20892 1770, USA
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 256:27-32. 1999Uncoupling protein-1 (UCP1) dissipates the transmitochondrial proton gradient as heat. UCP2 and UCP3 are two recently discovered homologues that also have uncoupling activity and thus presumably have a role in energy homeostasis...
- In the rat, tumor necrosis factor alpha administration results in an increase in both UCP2 and UCP3 mRNAs in skeletal muscle: a possible mechanism for cytokine-induced thermogenesis?S Busquets
Departament de Bioquimica i Biologia Molecular, Facultat de Biologia, Universitat de Barcelona, Spain
FEBS Lett 440:348-50. 1998Since the discovery of the new members of the UCP (uncoupling protein) family, UCP2 and UCP3, very few studies have dealt with the regulation of their expression...
- Cloning of mouse uncoupling protein 3 cDNA and 5'-flanking region, and its genetic mapH Yoshitomi
Tsukuba Research Laboratories, Eisai Co, Ltd, 5 1 3, Tokodai, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 300 2635, Japan
Gene 215:77-84. 1998..Recently, the third UCP homologue was discovered in humans, which was designated as UCP3. We now report molecular cloning of full-length mouse UCP3 cDNA and its 5'-flanking genomic region...
- Up-regulation of uncoupling protein 3 (UCP3) mRNA by exercise training and down-regulation of UCP3 by denervation in skeletal musclesN Tsuboyama-Kasaoka
Division of Clinical Nutrition, National Institute of Health and Nutrition, 1 23 1 Toyama, Tokyo, Shinjuku ku, 162 8636, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 247:498-503. 1998..b>UCP3, mitochondrial uncoupling protein, is expressed in skeletal muscles...
- Transcriptional regulation of muscle-specific genes during myoblast differentiationT Shimokawa
Molecular Medicine Laboratories, Yamanouchi Pharmaceutical Co, Ltd, Ibaraki, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 246:287-92. 1998..Muscle-specific uncoupling protein UCP3 mRNA was detected during differentiation and increased rapidly within 8 days...
- High expression of uncoupling protein 2 in foetal liverZ Hodny
Institute of Physiology, Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic, Prague
FEBS Lett 425:185-90. 1998..Neither UCP1 nor UCP3 mRNA was expressed in foetal liver...
- Uncoupling protein-3: a muscle-specific gene upregulated by leptin in ob/ob miceQ Liu
Department of Human Genetics, Merck Research Laboratories, West Point, PA 19486, USA
Gene 207:1-7. 1998We identified and partially characterized another member of the uncoupling protein termed UCP3. Human and mouse UCP3 protein sequences are 86% identical to each other, and 73% and 59% identical to UCP2 and UCP1, respectively...
- SIRT1 is involved in glucocorticoid-mediated control of uncoupling protein-3 gene transcriptionRamon Amat
Departament de Bioquimica i Biologia Molecular and Institut de Biomedicina, Universitat de Barcelona and CIBER Fisiopatologia de la Obesidad y Nutrición, Instituto de Salud Carlos III, Avda Diagonal 645, 08028 Barcelona, Spain
J Biol Chem 282:34066-76. 2007b>UCP3 (uncoupling protein-3) is a mitochondrial membrane transporter expressed preferentially in skeletal muscle...
- Reduction of diet-induced obesity in transgenic mice overexpressing uncoupling protein 3 in skeletal muscleC Son
Department of Medicine and Clinical Science, Endocrinology and Metabolism, Kyoto University Graduate School of Medicine, 54 Shogoin Kawahara cho, Sakyo ku, Kyoto 606 8507, Japan
Diabetologia 47:47-54. 2004It has been suggested that uncoupling protein 3 (UCP3) can increase energy expenditure, thereby regulating body weight...
- Overexpression of uncoupling protein 3 in skeletal muscle protects against fat-induced insulin resistanceCheol Soo Choi
Department of Internal Medicine, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06536 9812, USA
J Clin Invest 117:1995-2003. 2007..Uncoupling protein 3 (UCP3) has been postulated to dissipate the mitochondrial proton gradient and cause metabolic inefficiency...
- Long-term effects of a fatty acid synthase inhibitor on obese mice: food intake, hypothalamic neuropeptides, and UCP3Seung Hun Cha
Department of Biological Chemistry, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 317:301-8. 2004....
- Apelin, an APJ receptor ligand, regulates body adiposity and favors the messenger ribonucleic acid expression of uncoupling proteins in miceKeiko Higuchi
Department of Anatomy, Biology, and Medicine, Internal Medicine 1, Faculty of Medicine, Oita University, 1 1 Idai ga oka, Hasama cho, Yufu City, Oita 879 5593, Japan
Endocrinology 148:2690-7. 2007..increased mRNA expression of UCP1, a marker of peripheral energy expenditure, in brown adipose tissue (BAT) and of UCP3, a regulator of fatty acid export, in skeletal muscle...
- Developmental and tissue-specific involvement of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-alpha in the control of mouse uncoupling protein-3 gene expressionNeus Pedraza
Departament de Bioquimica i Biologia Molecular, Universitat de Barcelona, Avda Diagonal 645, E 08028 Barcelona, Spain
Endocrinology 147:4695-704. 2006Uncoupling protein-3 (UCP3) is a member of the mitochondrial carrier family expressed preferentially in skeletal muscle and heart...
- The effect of high-fat feeding on intramuscular lipid and lipid peroxidation levels in UCP3-ablated miceJoris Hoeks
Department of Human Biology, Nutrition and Toxicology Research Institute Maastricht NUTRIM, Maastricht University, P O Box 616, 6200 MD Maastricht, The Netherlands
FEBS Lett 580:1371-5. 2006Uncoupling protein-3 (UCP3) has been suggested to protect against lipid-induced oxidative damage...
- Constitutive UCP3 overexpression at physiological levels increases mouse skeletal muscle capacity for fatty acid transport and oxidationV Bezaire
Department of Human Biology and Nutritional Sciences, University of Guelph, Ontario, Canada
FASEB J 19:977-9. 2005Uncoupling protein 3 (UCP3) expression is directly correlated to fatty acid oxidation in skeletal muscle. UCP3 has been hypothesized to facilitate high rates of fatty acid oxidation, but evidence thus far is lacking...
- A paternally imprinted QTL for mature body mass on mouse chromosome 8Kellie A Rance
Aberdeen Centre for Energy Regulation and Obesity ACERO, School of Biological Sciences, University of Aberdeen, Tillydrone Avenue, Aberdeen, AB24 2TZ, UK
Mamm Genome 16:567-77. 2005....
- Plasma free fatty acids and peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor alpha in the control of myocardial uncoupling protein levelsAndrew J Murray
University Laboratory of Physiology, University of Oxford, Parks Road, Oxford, OX1 3PT, UK
Diabetes 54:3496-502. 2005..Cardiac UCP2 and UCP3 were significantly lower in the PPARalpha-/- mouse than in the wild type...
- Hyperoxia-mediated oxidative stress increases expression of UCP3 mRNA and protein in skeletal musclePierre Flandin
Department of Cell Physiology and Metabolism, Centre Medical Universitaire, 1 rue Michel Servet, 1211 Geneva 4, Switzerland
FEBS Lett 579:3411-5. 2005The uncoupling protein-3 (UCP3) is a mitochondrial protein expressed mainly in skeletal muscle. Among several hypotheses for its physiological function, UCP3 has been proposed to prevent excessive production of reactive oxygen species...
- Hypoxic induction of UCP3 in the growth plate: UCP3 suppresses chondrocyte autophagyHitoshi Watanabe
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19107, USA
J Cell Physiol 216:419-25. 2008..We showed for the first time that epiphyseal chondrocytes expressed UCP3. In hypoxia, UCP3 mediated regulation of the mitochondrial transmembrane potential (DeltaPsi(m)) was dependent on ..
- Effects of the presence, absence, and overexpression of uncoupling protein-3 on adiposity and fuel metabolism in congenic miceSheila R Costford
Dept of Biochemistry, Microbiology and Immunology, Faculty of Medicine, Univ of Ottawa, 451 Smyth Rd, Ottawa, ON, Canada K1H 8M5
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 290:E1304-12. 2006Uncoupling protein-3 (UCP3) is a poorly understood mitochondrial inner membrane protein expressed predominantly in skeletal muscle...
- Overexpression of UCP3 in both murine and human myotubes is linked with the activation of proteolytic systems: a role in muscle wasting?Silvia Busquets
Departament de Bioquimica i Biologia Molecular, Facultat de Biologia, Universitat de Barcelona, Diagonal 645, 08028 Barcelona, Spain
Biochim Biophys Acta 1760:253-8. 2006Overexpression of the UCP3 gene in both murine and human myotube cell cultures leads to a significant activation of the different proteolytic systems involved in muscle myofibrillar protein breakdown...
- Differential regulation of expression of genes encoding uncoupling proteins 2 and 3 in brown adipose tissue during lactation in miceN Pedraza
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Barcelona, Avda Diagonal 645, 08028 Barcelona, Spain
Biochem J 355:105-11. 2001..Our studies show that UCP2 mRNA expression does not change during the breeding cycle in mice. In contrast, UCP3 mRNA is down-regulated in lactation but it recovers after weaning, in parallel with UCP1 mRNA...
- Overexpression of UCP-3 in skeletal muscle of mice results in increased expression of mitochondrial thioesterase mRNAG B Moore
Department of Vascular Biology, GlaxoSmithKline, Harlow, Essex, United Kingdom
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 283:785-90. 2001..The large increase in MTE-1 both confirms the importance of this gene in situations where mitochondrial beta-oxidation is increased and supports the hypothesis that UCP-3 exports fatty acids generated by MTE-1 in the mitochondrion...
- Mapping major quantitative trait loci for postnatal growth in an intersubspecific backcross between C57BL/6J and Philippine wild mice by using principal component analysisAkira Ishikawa
Laboratory of Animal Genetics, Division of Applied Genetics and Physiology, Graduate School of Bioagricultural Sciences, Nagoya University, Aichi, Japan
Genes Genet Syst 79:27-39. 2004..These results suggest that the identified 13 QTLs, most of which affected the entire growth process, are very important contributors to complex genetic networks of postnatal growth...
- Differential regulation of the promoter activity of the mouse UCP2 and UCP3 genes by MyoD and myogeninDongho Kim
Department of Biochemistry, University of Otago, PO Box 56, Dunedin 9054, New Zealand
J Biochem Mol Biol 40:921-7. 2007UCP2 and UCP3 are members of the uncoupling protein family, which may play roles in energy homeostasis...
- Identification of interactive loci linked to insulin and leptin in mice with genetic insulin resistanceKatrine Almind
Research Division, Joslin Diabetes Center, One Joslin Place, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Diabetes 52:1535-43. 2003....
- Role of the beta(3)-adrenergic receptor and/or a putative beta(4)-adrenergic receptor on the expression of uncoupling proteins and peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma coactivator-1O Boss
Department of Medicine, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, Massachusetts, 02215, USA
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 261:870-6. 1999..e., mitochondrial uncoupling proteins UCP2 and UCP3, and peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma coactivator-1 (PGC-1), in mouse skeletal muscle...
- Pharmacology: uncoupling the agony from ecstasyEdward M Mills
Cardiovascular Branch, NHLBI, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 1622, USA
Nature 426:403-4. 2003..Our findings indicate that UCP-3 is important in MDMA-induced hyperthermia and point to a new therapeutic direction for solving an increasing public-health problem...
- Thyroid hormones directly activate the expression of the human and mouse uncoupling protein-3 genes through a thyroid response element in the proximal promoter regionGemma Solanes
Departament de Bioquimica i Biologia Molecular, Universitat de Barcelona, Avda Diagonal 645, E 08028 Barcelona, Spain
Biochem J 386:505-13. 2005The transcription of the human UCP3 (uncoupling protein-3) gene in skeletal muscle is tightly regulated by metabolic signals related to fatty acid availability...