Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: tenascin C
Description: tenascin C
Alias: AI528729, C130033P17Rik, Hxb, TN-C, Ten, cytotactin, tenascin-C, tenascin, hexabrachion, tnc
Publications131 found, 100 shown here
- Migration of dopaminergic neurons in the embryonic mesencephalon of miceH Kawano
Department of Anatomy, School of Medicine, Keio University, Tokyo, Japan
Brain Res Dev Brain Res 86:101-13. 1995..The expression of tenascin was transiently seen on radial glial processes between E10 and E13 coincident with the period of the ventral ..
- Analysis of tenascin mRNA expression in the murine mammary gland from embryogenesis to carcinogenesis: an in situ hybridization studyI Kalembey
Second Department of Surgery, Mie University School of Medicine, Tsu, Japan
Int J Dev Biol 41:569-73. 1997The expression of tenascin gene during murine mammary gland development was analyzed by in situ hybridization with non-radioactive cRNA probes. The aim was to identify whether cells that synthesize tenascin are mesenchymal or epithelial...
- Pax6 controls radial glia differentiation in the cerebral cortexM Gotz
Department of Molecular Cell Biology, Max Planck Institute of Biophysical Chemistry, Gottingen, Federal Republic of Germany
Neuron 21:1031-44. 1998..In Pax6-deficient mice, cortical radial glia cells were altered in their morphology, number, tenascin-C (TN-C) expression, and cell cycle...
- Knockout mice reveal a contribution of the extracellular matrix molecule tenascin-C to neural precursor proliferation and migrationE Garcion
Department of Medical Genetics and Cambridge Center for Brain Repair, University of Cambridge, UK
Development 128:2485-96. 2001The extracellular matrix glycoprotein tenascin-C is widely expressed in the vertebrate central nervous system (CNS) during development and repair...
- Tenascin-C upregulates matrix metalloproteinase-9 in breast cancer cells: direct and synergistic effects with transforming growth factor beta1Ilunga Kalembeyi
Department of Pathology, Mie University School of Medicine, Tsu, Mie, Japan
Int J Cancer 105:53-60. 2003b>Tenascin-C (TN-C) and matrix metalloproteinases (MMPs) are highly expressed in cancer tissues and probably promote cell migration during cancer progression...
- Alternatively spliced variants of protocadherin 8 exhibit distinct patterns of expression during mouse developmentHelen Makarenkova
The Neurosciences Institute, 10640 John Jay Hopkins Drive, San Diego, CA 92121, USA
Biochim Biophys Acta 1681:150-6. 2005..The differential expression of two alternative cytoplasmic domain variants suggests that Pcdh8 may regulate cell adhesion in a variety of developmental processes, and that this may involve different intracellular interactions...
- Expression of the integrin subunit alpha 9 in the murine embryoA Wang
Lung Biology Center, San Francisco General Hospital, University of California 94143, USA
Dev Dyn 204:421-31. 1995..far, only a single alpha 9-containing integrin has been identified (alpha 9 beta 1) and only a single ligand (tenascin) has been found for this integrin...
- Upregulation of alpha 9 integrin and tenascin during epithelial regeneration after debridement in the corneaM A Stepp
Department of Anatomy, George Washington University Medical Center, Washington, DC 20037, USA
J Histochem Cytochem 45:189-201. 1997..9 beta b1 is one of the newer members of the integrin beta family and has been recently shown to function as a tenascin receptor...
- Mice develop normally without tenascinY Saga
Laboratory of Cell Biology, Tsukuba Life Science Center, Institute of Physical and Chemical Research RIKEN, Ibaraki, Japan
Genes Dev 6:1821-31. 1992b>Tenascin, an extracellular matrix protein, is expressed in an unusually restricted pattern during embryogenesis and has been implicated in a variety of morphogenetic phenomena...
- Tenascin during gut development: appearance in the mesenchyme, shift in molecular forms, and dependence on epithelial-mesenchymal interactionsE Aufderheide
Friederich Miescher Laboratorium der Max Planck Gesellschaft, Tubingen, Federal Republic of Germany
J Cell Biol 107:2341-9. 1988b>Tenascin, an extracellular matrix protein, is expressed in the mesenchyme around growing epithelia in the embryo. We therefore investigated whether epithelial cells can stimulate expression of tenascin in embryonic mesenchyme...
- Tenascin-C expression in dystrophin-related muscular dystrophyD L Settles
Department of Cell Biology, Duke University, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
Muscle Nerve 19:147-54. 1996..We investigated whether regenerating mdx skeletal muscle contains the extracellular matrix protein tenascin-C (TN-C), which is expressed in wound healing and nerve regeneration...
- Tenascin-C and the development of articular cartilageM Pacifici
Department of Anatomy and Histology, School of Dental Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, USA
Matrix Biol 14:689-98. 1995..this minireview, we summarize recent studies from our laboratory suggesting that the extracellular matrix protein tenascin-C is involved in the genesis and function of articular chondrocytes...
- Bergmann glial development in the mouse cerebellum as revealed by tenascin expressionS Yuasa
Laboratory of Neural Information, National Institute for Physiological Sciences, Okazaki, Japan
Anat Embryol (Berl) 194:223-34. 1996b>Tenascin, an astroglia-derived extracellular matrix molecule, is also expressed by radial glia of the embryonic mouse cerebellum...
- The peripheral nerve and the neuromuscular junction are affected in the tenascin-C-deficient mouseC Cifuentes-Diaz
Laboratoire Neuromodulations Interactives et Neuropathologies, INSERM, Paris, France
Cell Mol Biol (Noisy-le-grand) 44:357-79. 1998A thorough examination of the structure and plasticity of the neuromuscular system was performed in tenascin-C mutant mice deficient in tenascin-C. The study of the peripheral nerve revealed a number of abnormal features...
- Effect of tenascin-C deficiency on chemically induced dermatitis in the mouseY Koyama
Division of Experimental Animal Research, Tsukuba Life Science Center, The Institute of Physical and Chemical Research RIKEN, Ibaraki, Japan
J Invest Dermatol 111:930-5. 1998b>Tenascin-C is a large extracellular matrix glycoprotein characterized by its spatiotemporal expression during embryogenesis, carcinogenesis, and wound healing...
- Parathyroid hormone-related protein signaling is necessary for sexual dimorphism during embryonic mammary developmentM E Dunbar
Department of Internal Medicine, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06520 8020, USA
Development 126:3485-93. 1999..In addition, the expression of tenascin C, another marker of the mammary mesenchyme, is also dependent on PTHrP...
- Fetal lungs of tenascin-C-deficient mice grow well, but branch poorly in organ cultureMatthias Roth-Kleiner
Institute of Anatomy, University of Bern, Buehlstrasse 26, CH 3000 Bern 9, Switzerland
Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 30:360-6. 2004b>Tenascin-C (TNC) is a multidomain extracellular matrix protein that contributes to organogenesis and tumorgenesis...
- Murine tenascin-W: a novel mammalian tenascin expressed in kidney and at sites of bone and smooth muscle developmentA Scherberich
Friedrich Miescher Institute for Biomedical Research, Novartis Research Foundation, Maulbeerstrasse 66, CH 4058 Basel, Switzerland
J Cell Sci 117:571-81. 2004We cloned and characterized a novel member of the tenascin family of extracellular matrix proteins--the murine orthologue of zebrafish tenascin-W. Full-length recombinant tenascin-W was expressed and purified from mammalian cell cultures...
- Deficiency of tenascin C attenuates allergen-induced bronchial asthma in the mouseHiroki Nakahara
Department of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Mie University Graduate School of Medicine, Tsu City, Japan
Eur J Immunol 36:3334-45. 2006b>Tenascin C (TN-C) is an extracellular matrix glycoprotein whose expression is increased in several inflammatory diseases of the lung, including bronchial asthma...
- The adult mouse subependymal zone regenerates efficiently in the absence of tenascin-CIlias Kazanis
Department of Pathology, University of Cambridge, Cambridge CB2 1QP, United Kingdom
J Neurosci 27:13991-6. 2007..b>Tenascin-C is a large extracellular matrix glycoprotein present in the SEZ that has been shown to regulate the development ..
- Tenascin-C is an endogenous activator of Toll-like receptor 4 that is essential for maintaining inflammation in arthritic joint diseaseKim Midwood
Kennedy Institute of Rheumatology Division, Faculty of Medicine, Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine, London, UK
Nat Med 15:774-80. 2009..b>Tenascin-C (encoded by Tnc) is an extracellular matrix glycoprotein specifically expressed at areas of inflammation and ..
- Tenascin-C triggers fibrin accumulation by downregulation of tissue plasminogen activatorFlorence Brellier
Friedrich Miescher Institute for Biomedical Research, Novartis Research Foundation, Basel, Switzerland
FEBS Lett 585:913-20. 2011We explored novel functions of tenascin-C by comparing mouse embryonic fibroblasts (MEFs) proficient or deficient in tenascin-C expression...
- The transcriptional regulator megakaryoblastic leukemia-1 mediates serum response factor-independent activation of tenascin-C transcription by mechanical stressMaria B Asparuhova
Friedrich Miescher Institute for Biomedical Research, Novartis Research Foundation, Maulbeerstrasse 66, 4058 Basel, Switzerland
FASEB J 25:3477-88. 2011The extracellular matrix protein tenascin-C (TNC) is up-regulated in processes influenced by mechanical stress, such as inflammation, tissue remodeling, wound healing, and tumorigenesis...
- Tenascin-C is expressed in abdominal aortic aneurysm tissue with an active degradation processTaizo Kimura
Department of Molecular Cardiovascular Biology, Yamaguchi University School of Medicine, Kurume, Japan
Pathol Int 61:559-64. 2011..Currently no biomarkers have been established to indicate the disease status of AAA. Tenascin-C (TN-C) is a matricellular protein that is synthesized under pathological conditions...
- Parathyroid hormone-related protein activates Wnt signaling to specify the embryonic mammary mesenchymeMinoti Hiremath
Department of Biological Sciences, Boise State University, Boise, ID 83725, USA
Development 139:4239-49. 2012..Therefore, we conclude that a mesenchymal, canonical Wnt pathway mediates the PTHrP-dependent specification of the mammary mesenchyme...
- Murine tenascin: cDNA cloning, structure and temporal expression of isoformsY Saga
Laboratory of Cell Biology, Tsukuba Life Science Center, Ibaraki, Japan
Gene 104:177-85. 1991Mouse tenascin (TN)-encoding cDNA clones were isolated from a cDNA library of the 2H6GR mammary tumor cell line...
- Skin wounds and severed nerves heal normally in mice lacking tenascin-CE Forsberg
Max Planck Institute for Biochemistry, Martinsried, Germany
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 93:6594-9. 1996A large number of functions have been demonstrated for tenascin-C by antibody perturbation assays and in vitro cell culture experiments...
- Multiple promoter elements differentially regulate the expression of the mouse tenascin geneD W Copertino
Department of Neurobiology, The Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 94:1846-51. 1997b>Tenascin (TN) is an extracellular matrix glycoprotein that is expressed in a characteristic spatiotemporal pattern during development and is up-regulated in the adult during tumorigenesis, wound healing, and nerve regeneration...
- The tenascin-C knockout revisitedE J Mackie
School of Veterinary Science, University of Melbourne, Parkville, Victoria, Australia
J Cell Sci 112:3847-53. 1999In the past seven years, two groups have independently produced tenascin-C-knockout mice. These mice are born alive and, originally, were described as showing no abnormalities...
- The dynamic expression of tenascin-C and tenascin-X during early heart development in the mouseKyoko Imanaka-Yoshida
Department of Pathology, Mie University School of Medicine, 2 174 Edobashi, Tsu, Mie 514 8507 Japan
Differentiation 71:291-8. 2003One of a family of extracellular matrix proteins, tenascin-C (TNC) is expressed in a spatiotemporally restricted pattern associated with tissue remodeling during embryonic development, wound healing, cancer invasion and tissue ..
- Deficiency of tenascin-C attenuates liver fibrosis in immune-mediated chronic hepatitis in miceA El-Karef
Department of Pathology and Matrix Biology, Graduate School of Medicine, Mie University, Mie, Japan
J Pathol 211:86-94. 2007b>Tenascin-C (TNC), an extracellular matrix glycoprotein, is upregulated in chronic liver disease...
- Bone ridge patterning during musculoskeletal assembly is mediated through SCX regulation of Bmp4 at the tendon-skeleton junctionEinat Blitz
Department of Molecular Genetics, Weizmann Institute of Science, Rehovot 76100, Israel
Dev Cell 17:861-73. 2009..This study establishes a mechanistic basis for tendon-skeleton regulatory interactions during musculoskeletal assembly and bone secondary patterning...
- Tenascin-C deficiency attenuates TGF-ß-mediated fibrosis following murine lung injuryWilliam A Carey
Cardiovascular Research Institute, University of California, San Francisco, USA
Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 299:L785-93. 2010b>Tenascin-C (TNC) is an extracellular matrix glycoprotein of unknown function that is highly expressed in adult lung parenchyma following acute lung injury (ALI)...
- Spatial and temporal expression of molecular markers and cell signals during normal development of the mouse patellar tendonChia Feng Liu
Division of Developmental Biology, Cincinnati Children s Hospital Research Foundation, Cincinnati, OH 45229, USA
Tissue Eng Part A 18:598-608. 2012..We found that collagen I, fibromodulin, and tenomodulin were expressed throughout the tendon, whereas tenascin-C, biglycan, and cartilage oligomeric protein were concentrated in the insertion site during this period...
- Corneal wound healing in tenascin knockout mouseA Matsuda
Department of Ophthalmology, Hokkaido University School of Medicine, Sapporo, Japan
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 40:1071-80. 1999b>Tenascin (TN) is a large hexameric extracellular matrix glycoprotein that is expressed in developing organs and tumors. It has also been reported that TN is expressed in the embryonic cornea and during corneal wound healing...
- Neural stem/progenitor cells express 20 tenascin C isoforms that are differentially regulated by Pax6Alexander von Holst
Department of Cell Morphology and Molecular Neurobiology, Ruhr University Bochum, D 44780 Bochum, Germany
J Biol Chem 282:9172-81. 2007b>Tenascin C (Tnc) is an alternatively spliced, multimodular extracellular matrix glycoprotein present in the ventricular zone of the developing brain. Pax6-deficient small eye (sey) mouse mutants show an altered Tnc expression pattern...
- Tenascin-C induction by cyclic strain requires integrin-linked kinaseSilke Maier
Friedrich Miescher Institute for Biomedical Research, Novartis Research Foundation, CH 4058 Basel, Switzerland
Biochim Biophys Acta 1783:1150-62. 2008Induction of tenascin-C mRNA by cyclic strain in fibroblasts depends on RhoA and Rho dependent kinase (ROCK). Here we show that integrin-linked kinase (ILK) is required upstream of this pathway...
- Specific glial populations regulate hippocampal morphogenesisGuy Barry
The University of Queensland, Queensland Brain Institute, and School of Biomedical Sciences, Brisbane, 4067, Australia
J Neurosci 28:12328-40. 2008..These data demonstrate a role for Nfib in hippocampal fissure and dentate gyrus formation, and that distinct glial bundles are critical for correct hippocampal morphogenesis...
- Tenascin mRNA isoforms in the developing mouse brainU Dörries
Department of Neurobiology, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Zurich
J Neurosci Res 37:336-47. 1994The extracellular matrix glycoprotein tenascin is expressed in the developing mouse cerebellum as a group of four protein species of different molecular weights...
- The tenascin gene familyR Chiquet-Ehrismann
Friedrich Miescher Institute, Basel, Switzerland
Perspect Dev Neurobiol 2:3-7. 1994..the family of tenascin-like genes and we review in this article the structures of the original tenascin/cytotactin (tenascin-C), restrictin/J-160/180 (tenascin-R), and the tenascin-like gene present in the major ..
- Tyrosine hydroxylase activity and its mRNA level in dopaminergic neurons of tenascin gene knockout mouseF Fukamauchi
Department of Molecular Medical Science, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 231:356-9. 1997We have recently demonstrated that some tenascin (TN) gene-knockout mice display abnormal behaviors, and that these abnormal behaviors stem from a low level of dopamine transmission in the brain...
- Suppression of hematopoietic activity in tenascin-C-deficient miceM Ohta
Division of Biochemistry, Cancer Institute, Hokkaido University, School of Medicine, Sapporo, Japan
Blood 91:4074-83. 1998b>Tenascin-C (TN-C), a member of the extracellular matrix (ECM) glycoprotein family, is expressed on the surface of stromal cells in the hematopoietic system or lymphoid organs...
- Myelination and behaviour of tenascin-C null transgenic miceB W Kiernan
Wellcome CRC Institute of Developmental Biology and Cancer, Cambridge, UK
Eur J Neurosci 11:3082-92. 1999The extracellular matrix glycoprotein tenascin-C is widely expressed during development and repair, making it surprising that few abnormalities have been found in transgenic mice lacking this molecule...
- Loss of cortical and thalamic neuronal tenascin-C expression in a transgenic mouse expressing exon 1 of the human Huntington disease geneM Kusakabe
Division of Experimental Animal Research, RIKEN, Tsukuba, Japan
J Comp Neurol 430:485-500. 2001..The present study has found that expression of the extracellular matrix glycoprotein tenascin-C appears to be unaffected in astroglial cells in wild-type and R6/2 transgenic mice that express the mutant ..
- Neural bHLH genes control the neuronal versus glial fate decision in cortical progenitorsM Nieto
Institut de Génétique et de Biologie Moléculaire, et Cellulaire, CNRS, INSERM, Universite, Louis Pasteur, Boite Postale 163, 67404 Illkirch Cedex, Communauté urbaine de, Strasbourg, France
Neuron 29:401-13. 2001..Together, these results demonstrate that proneural genes are involved in lineage restriction of cortical progenitors, promoting the acquisition of the neuronal fate and inhibiting the astrocytic fate...
- Localization of extracellular matrix receptors in ICGN mice, a strain of mice with hereditary nephrotic syndromeK Uchio-Yamada
Unit of Anatomy and Cell Biology, Department of Animal Sciences, Kyoto University, Japan
J Vet Med Sci 63:1171-8. 2001..Marked deposition of type I collagen and tenascin was seen only in the glomeruli of ICGN mice but not in those of ICR mice as normal controls...
- Expression of NG2 proteoglycan during endochondral and intramembranous ossificationJun ichi Fukushi
The Burnham Institute, La Jolla, California 92037, USA
Dev Dyn 228:143-8. 2003..chondrocytes, NG2 was up-regulated during primary ossification, colocalizing with alkaline phosphatase and tenascin C. In the epiphyseal growth plates of newborn mouse tibia, NG2 and alkaline phosphatase exhibited overlapping ..
- Development of heart valve leaflets and supporting apparatus in chicken and mouse embryosJoy Lincoln
Division of Molecular Cardiovascular Biology, Children s Hospital Medical Center, Cincinnati, Ohio 45229, USA
Dev Dyn 230:239-50. 2004..characteristics of chondrogenesis and tendon development, identified by scleraxis, type II collagen, and tenascin expression...
- An Nkx2-5/Bmp2/Smad1 negative feedback loop controls heart progenitor specification and proliferationOwen W J Prall
Victor Chang Cardiac Research Institute, Sydney 2010, Australia
Cell 128:947-59. 2007....
- Recruitment and maintenance of tendon progenitors by TGFbeta signaling are essential for tendon formationBrian A Pryce
Shriners Hospital for Children, Research Division, Portland, OR 97239, USA
Development 136:1351-61. 2009....
- Tenascin-C is an inhibitory boundary molecule in the developing olfactory bulbHelen B Treloar
Department of Neurosurgery, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06520 8082, USA
J Neurosci 29:9405-16. 2009We recently described the boundary-like expression pattern of the extracellular matrix molecule tenascin-C (Tnc) in the developing mouse olfactory bulb (OB) (Shay et al., 2008)...
- Wnt signaling regulates smooth muscle precursor development in the mouse lung via a tenascin C/PDGFR pathwayEthan David Cohen
Department of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
J Clin Invest 119:2538-49. 2009..the effect on Pdgfr expression was, in part, mediated by direct transcriptional regulation of the ECM protein tenascin C (Tnc), which was necessary and sufficient for Pdgfralpha/beta expression in lung explants...
- Talin 1 and 2 are required for myoblast fusion, sarcomere assembly and the maintenance of myotendinous junctionsFrancesco J Conti
The Scripps Research Institute, Department of Cell Biology and Institute of Childhood and Neglected Diseases, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Development 136:3597-606. 2009..We conclude that talin 1 and 2 are crucial for skeletal muscle development, where they regulate myoblast fusion, sarcomere assembly and the maintenance of MTJs...
- Tenascin-C may aggravate left ventricular remodeling and function after myocardial infarction in miceTomohiro Nishioka
Dept of Pathology and Matrix Biology, Mie Univ Graduate School of Medicine, Tsu, Japan
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 298:H1072-8. 2010b>Tenascin-C (TN-C) is an extracellular matrix glycoprotein with high bioactivity. It is expressed at low levels in normal adult heart, but upregulated under pathological conditions, such as myocardial infarction (MI). Recently, we (Ref...
- Novel function of tenascin-C, a matrix protein relevant to atherosclerosis, in platelet recruitment and activation under flowMathieu Schaff
Inserm Unité Mixte de Recherche S949, Etablissement Français du Sang Alsace 10, Strasbourg Cedex, France
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 31:117-24. 2011..In this context, we explored platelet adhesion and activation to tenascin-C (TN-C), a matrix protein preferentially found within atheroma.
- Impaired angiogenic response in the cornea of mice lacking tenascin CTakayoshi Sumioka
Department of Ophthalmology, Wakayama Medical University, 811 1 Kimiidera, Wakayama, 641 0012, Japan
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 52:2462-7. 2011This study investigated the effects of loss of tenascin C (TNC) in the development of neovascularization in a corneal stroma in mice...
- Extracellular matrix protein tenascin-C is required in the bone marrow microenvironment primed for hematopoietic regenerationAyako Nakamura-Ishizu
Department of Cell Differentiation, The Sakaguchi Laboratory, School of Medicine, Keio University, Tokyo, Japan
Blood 119:5429-37. 2012..Of the many ECM proteins, the expression of tenascin-C (TN-C) was found to be dramatically up-regulated during hematopoietic recovery after myeloablation...
- Tenascin C regulates proliferation and differentiation processes during embryonic retinogenesis and modulates the de-differentiation capacity of Müller glia by influencing growth factor responsiveness and the extracellular matrix compartmentManuela Besser
Department of Cell Morphology and Molecular Neurobiology, Faculty of Biology and Biotechnology, Ruhr University Bochum, Germany
Dev Biol 369:163-76. 2012..This study focused on the functional analysis of the extracellular matrix (ECM) molecule Tenascin C (Tnc) in the retinal stem/progenitor cell environment...
- Increased tenascin C and Toll-like receptor 4 levels in visceral adipose tissue as a link between inflammation and extracellular matrix remodeling in obesityVictoria Catalan
Metabolic Research Laboratory, Department of Surgery, Clinica Universidad de Navarra, Avenuda Pío XII, 36, 31008 Pamplona, Spain
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 97:E1880-9. 2012Obesity is associated with an altered inflammatory and extracellular matrix (ECM) profile. Tenascin C (TNC) is an ECM glycoprotein with proinflammatory effects.
- Mesenchymal condensation-dependent accumulation of collagen VI stabilizes organ-specific cell fates during embryonic tooth formationTadanori Mammoto
Vascular Biology Program, Boston Children s Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts
Dev Dyn 244:713-23. 2015..However, the mechanism by which cell compaction is stabilized over time to ensure correct organ-specific cell fate switching remains unknown...
- Deficiency of tenascin-C and attenuation of blood-brain barrier disruption following experimental subarachnoid hemorrhage in miceMasashi Fujimoto
Departments of 1 Neurosurgery and
J Neurosurg 124:1693-702. 2016OBJECT Tenascin-C (TNC), a matricellular protein, is induced in the brain following subarachnoid hemorrhage (SAH). The authors investigated if TNC causes brain edema and blood-brain barrier (BBB) disruption following experimental SAH...
- Deletion of tenascin-C gene exacerbates atherosclerosis and induces intraplaque hemorrhage in Apo-E-deficient miceLai Wang
Oppenheimer Atherosclerosis Research Center and the Division of Cardiology, Cedars Sinai Heart Institute, Los Angeles, CA 90048, USA
Cardiovasc Pathol 21:398-413. 2012b>Tenascin-C (TNC), a matricellular protein, is up-regulated in atherosclerotic plaques. We investigated whether the deletion of TNC gene affects the development of atherosclerosis in a murine model.
- Molecular profiling of synovial joints: use of microarray analysis to identify factors that direct the development of the knee and elbowDorothy E Pazin
Department of Developmental Biology, Harvard School of Dental Medicine, 188 Longwood Avenue, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Dev Dyn 241:1816-26. 2012..Here, we use microarray analysis to compare knee and elbow formation to identify factors involved in the development of specific joints...
- Putative functions of extracellular matrix glycoproteins in secondary palate morphogenesisRocca d'Amaro
Department of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics, School of Dental Medicine, University of Bern Bern, Switzerland
Front Physiol 3:377. 2012..In addition, we observed that tenascin-W (but not tenascin-C) was misexpressed in palatal shelves of Bmp7-deficient mouse embryos...
- Adult interfollicular tumour-initiating cells are reprogrammed into an embryonic hair follicle progenitor-like fate during basal cell carcinoma initiationKhalil Kass Youssef
IRIBHM, Universite Libre de Bruxelles ULB, 808 Route de Lennik, 1070 Brussels, Belgium
Nat Cell Biol 14:1282-94. 2012..Deletion of β-catenin in adult SmoM2-expressing cells prevents EHFP reprogramming and tumour initiation. Finally, human basal cell carcinomas also express genes of the Wnt signalling and EHFP signatures...
- Primary hippocampal neurons, which lack four crucial extracellular matrix molecules, display abnormalities of synaptic structure and function and severe deficits in perineuronal net formationMaren Geissler
Department of Cell Morphology and Molecular Neurobiology, Ruhr University, D 44780 Bochum, Germany
J Neurosci 33:7742-55. 2013..studied a mouse mutant that lacks four ECM components highly enriched in the developing brain: the glycoproteins tenascin-C and tenascin-R and the chondroitin sulfate proteoglycans brevican and neurocan...
- Perichondrium phenotype and border function are regulated by Ext1 and heparan sulfate in developing long bones: a mechanism likely deranged in Hereditary Multiple ExostosesJulianne Huegel
Division of Orthopaedic Surgery, The Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Dev Biol 377:100-12. 2013..Alterations in these mechanisms may contribute to exostosis formation in HME, particularly at the expense of regions rich in progenitor cells including the groove of Ranvier...
- In situ localization of tenascin mRNA in developing mouse teethR P Tucker
Department of Neurobiology and Anatomy, Bowman Gray School of Medicine, Wake Forest University, Winston Salem, NC 27157
Arch Oral Biol 38:1025-9. 1993b>Tenascin is a large extracellular-matrix glycoprotein found in developing connective tissue...
- The distribution of tenascin-X is distinct and often reciprocal to that of tenascin-CK Matsumoto
Friedrich Miescher Institute, Basel, Switzerland
J Cell Biol 125:483-93. 1994We have isolated a cDNA encoding mouse tenascin-X (TN-X), a new member of the family of tenascin genes. The TN-X gene lies in the major histocompatibility complex (MHC) class III region, as it is the case for its human counterpart...
- Tenascin glycoproteins in developing neural tissues: only decoration?A Faissner
Department of Neurobiology, University of Heidelberg, Germany
Perspect Dev Neurobiol 2:53-66. 1994b>Tenascin glycoproteins constitute a growing family of extracellular matrix molecules that are transiently expressed by astrocytes during the development of the central nervous system (CNS)...
- Tenascin-C inhibits extracellular matrix-dependent gene expression in mammary epithelial cells. Localization of active regions using recombinant tenascin fragmentsP L Jones
Life Sciences Division, Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory, Berkeley, CA 94720, USA
J Cell Sci 108:519-27. 1995The physiological role of tenascin in vivo has remained obscure. Although tenascin is regulated in a stage and tissue-dependent manner, knock-out mice appear normal...
- Receptor tyrosine kinase specific for the skeletal muscle lineage: expression in embryonic muscle, at the neuromuscular junction, and after injuryD M Valenzuela
Regeneron Pharmaceuticals, Inc, Tarrytown, New York 10591, USA
Neuron 15:573-84. 1995..Identification of MuSK introduces a novel receptor-factor system that seems sure to play an important and selective role in many aspects of skeletal muscle development and function...
- Tenascin-C, tenascin-R and tenascin-X: a family of talented proteins in search of functionsH P Erickson
Department of Cell Biology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710
Curr Opin Cell Biol 5:869-76. 1993Mice develop normally without tenascin", was a shock to biologists studying the extracellular matrix. Could tenascin be a useless protein? This seems most improbable, as it is conserved in every vertebrate species...
- Linkage analysis of the whirler deafness gene on mouse chromosome 4J Fleming
MRC Institute of Hearing Research, Nottingham, United Kingdom
Genomics 21:42-8. 1994..has positioned the wi locus in the interval between the genes for delta-aminolevulinate dehydratase (Lv) and hexabrachion (Hxb). The human homologues of these genes, ALAD and HXB, both lie on human chromosome 9q32-q34...
- Differential regulation of fibulin, tenascin-C, and nidogen expression during wound healing of normal and glucocorticoid-treated miceR Fassler
Max Planck Institut fur Biochemie, Martinsried, Federal Republic of Germany
Exp Cell Res 222:111-6. 1996Expression and distribution of fibulins, nidogen, and tenascin-C were analyzed in healing skin wounds of normal and dexamethasone-treated mice...
- Characterization of monoclonal antibodies against tenascin-C: no apparent effect on kidney development in vitroJ F Talts
Department of Animal Physiology, Uppsala University, Sweden
Int J Dev Biol 41:39-48. 1997b>Tenascin-C is an extracellular matrix glycoprotein found in embryonic mesenchyme. The precise biological function of tenascin-C is unknown, but different parts of the molecule have effects on cell adhesion and other cellular activities...
- The c-Jun-induced transformation process involves complex regulation of tenascin-C expressionA Mettouchi
Institut de Recherche sur le Cancer, CNRS UPR9079, Villejuif, France
Mol Cell Biol 17:3202-9. 1997..We identified c-Jun-upregulated cDNA clones homologous to the tenascin-C gene by differential screening of a cDNA library from REF...
- Accumulation of muscle ankyrin repeat protein transcript reveals local activation of primary myotube endcompartments during muscle morphogenesisA Baumeister
Friedrich Miescher Institute, P O Box 2543, CH 4002 Basel, Switzerland
J Cell Biol 139:1231-42. 1997....
- A single cysteine, Cys-64, is essential for assembly of tenascin-C hexabrachionsJ A Luczak
Department of Molecular Biology, Princeton University, New Jersey 08544 1014, USA
J Biol Chem 273:2073-7. 1998..It is secreted from cells as a hexamer of six identical chains called a hexabrachion. Disulfide bonding among tenascin subunits mediates intracellular assembly into hexamers...
- Organization and reorganization of neuromuscular junctions in mice lacking neural cell adhesion molecule, tenascin-C, or fibroblast growth factor-5L M Moscoso
Department of Anatomy and Neurobiology, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
J Neurosci 18:1465-77. 1998..membrane-associated adhesion molecule, neural cell adhesion molecule (N-CAM), an extracellular matrix component, tenascin-C, and a soluble growth factor, fibroblast growth factor-5 (FGF-5)...
- A potential role for the OTX2 homeoprotein in creating early 'highways' for axon extension in the rostral brainK T Nguyen Ba-Charvet
Institut Alfred Fessard, CNRS UPR 2212, Avenue de la Terrasse, France
Development 125:4273-82. 1998..Among the molecules upregulated with increasing levels of OTX2 are NCAM, tenascin-C and DSD-1-PG, which also in situ colocalize with zones of OTX2 expression at boundaries...
- YAC complementation shows a requirement for Wt1 in the development of epicardium, adrenal gland and throughout nephrogenesisA W Moore
MRC Human Genetics Unit, Western General Hospital, Crewe Road, Edinburgh EH4 2XU, UK
Development 126:1845-57. 1999..These data demonstrate a variety of new functions for WT1 and suggest a general requirement for this protein in the formation of organs derived from the intermediate mesoderm...
- Skeletal malformations caused by overexpression of Cbfa1 or its dominant negative form in chondrocytesC Ueta
Department of Molecular Medicine, Osaka University Medical School, Suita, Osaka 565 0871, Japan
J Cell Biol 153:87-100. 2001..These data show that temporally and spatially regulated expression of Cbfa1 in chondrocytes is required for skeletogenesis, including formation of joints, permanent cartilages, and endochondral bones...
- Tenascin-C in developing mouse teeth: expression of splice variants and stimulation by TGFbeta and FGFC Sahlberg
Institute of Biotechnology, Viikki Biocenter, University of Helsinki, Finland
Eur J Oral Sci 109:114-24. 2001b>Tenascin-C is a protein of the extracellular matrix which has been suggested to regulate organogenesis. We have analysed the expression of tenascin-C mRNA during mouse tooth development...
- Pod1 is required in stromal cells for glomerulogenesisShiying Cui
The Samuel Lunenfeld Research Institute, Mt Sinai Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Dev Dyn 226:512-22. 2003..Most strikingly, the glomerulogenesis defect was rescued by the presence of wild-type stromal cells, suggesting a non-cell autonomous role for Pod1 in this cell population...
- Coregulation of fibronectin signaling and matrix contraction by tenascin-C and syndecan-4Kim S Midwood
Department of Molecular Biology, Princeton University, Princeton, NJ 08544 1014, USA
Mol Biol Cell 15:5670-7. 2004..b>Tenascin-C is an extracellular matrix protein that regulates cell response to fibronectin within the provisional matrix...
- Extracellular matrix alterations in brains lacking four of its componentsUwe Rauch
Department of Experimental Pathology, University Hospital, Lunds University, Lund, Sweden
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 328:608-17. 2005..were reported from several mouse strains lacking components of this matrix such as neurocan, brevican, tenascin-R, and tenascin-C...
- Vascular tenascin-C regulates cardiac endothelial phenotype and neovascularizationVictoria L T Ballard
Department of Medicine, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York, New York 10021, USA
FASEB J 20:717-9. 2006..pathways, in vivo bone marrow/cardiac phage display biopanning was performed and led to the identification of tenascin-C as a candidate protein...
- Osteopontin is a novel marker of pancreatic ductal tissues and of undifferentiated pancreatic precursors in miceGamze Kilic
Department of Genetics and Tumor Cell Biology, St Jude Children s Research Hospital, Memphis, Tennessee 38105, USA
Dev Dyn 235:1659-67. 2006..Finally, the maintenance of Opn expression in pancreatic tissues of adults argues for a possible function of this protein in injury and pathologic responses...
- Relevance of tenascin-C and matrix metalloproteinases in vascular abnormalities in murine hypoplastic lungsMala R Chinoy
Lung Development Research Program, Department of Surgery, Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine, Hershey, PA 17033, USA
Biol Neonate 90:185-96. 2006b>Tenascin-C (TN-C), an extracellular matrix glycoprotein, is crucial to cell-migration, proliferation, apoptosis and remodeling of tissues, with a potential role in pathobiology of pulmonary hypertension...
- Transcription factor ERG and joint and articular cartilage formation during mouse limb and spine skeletogenesisMasahiro Iwamoto
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Thomas Jefferson University College of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA 19107, USA
Dev Biol 305:40-51. 2007..composed of chondrocytes actively expressing collagen IX and aggrecan as well as articular markers such as tenascin-C...
- Differential expression of phosphacan/RPTPbeta isoforms in the developing mouse visual systemAlice Klausmeyer
Department of Cellmorphology and Molecular Neurobiology, Ruhr University Bochum, 44801 Bochum, Germany
J Comp Neurol 504:659-79. 2007..In situ hybridization experiments support the conclusion that at least one of the phosphacan/RPTPbeta isoforms in the retina is expressed by neurons...
- SM22alpha-targeted deletion of bone morphogenetic protein receptor 1A in mice impairs cardiac and vascular development, and influences organogenesisNesrine El-Bizri
Cardiopulmonary Research Program, Vera Moulton Wall Center for Pulmonary Vascular Disease, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, California, CA, USA
Development 135:2981-91. 2008..Thus, loss of Bmpr1a, by decreasing MMP2 and/or MMP9 activity, can account for vascular dilatation and persistence of brain microvessels, leading to the impaired organogenesis documented in the brain...
- Scleraxis is required for cell lineage differentiation and extracellular matrix remodeling during murine heart valve formation in vivoAgata K Levay
Department of Molecular and Cellular Pharmacology, Leonard M Miller School of Medicine, University of Miami, Miami, FL 33101, USA
Circ Res 103:948-56. 2008..Collectively, our studies have identified an in vivo requirement for scx during valvulogenesis and demonstrate its role in cell lineage differentiation and matrix distribution in remodeling valve structures...
- Role of stromal tenascin-C in mouse prostatic development and epithelial cell differentiationKenichiro Ishii
Department of Nephro Urologic Surgery and Andrology, Mie University Graduate School of Medicine, 2 174 Edobashi, Tsu, Mie 514 8507, Japan
Dev Biol 324:310-9. 2008..Expression of tenascin-C (TN-C), an extracellular matrix (ECM) glycoprotein, is reportedly higher in BPH and PCa as compared with normal ..
- Implantation of dedifferentiated fat cells ameliorates habu snake venom-induced chronic renal dysfunction in tenascin-C-deficient miceRenaguli Nur
Division of Nephrology, Hypertension and Endocrinology, Department of Medicine, Nihon University School of Medicine, Nihon University, Tokyo, Japan
Nephron Exp Nephrol 110:e91-8. 2008..In this study, we evaluated the effect of implantation of DFAT cells on habu snake venom (HSV)-induced renal dysfunction in tenascin-C knockout (TC-KO) mice.
- Role of fibrillar Tenascin-C in metastatic pancreatic cancerJian Chen
Hepatobiliary Surgery Institute, Southwest Hospital, Third Military Medical University, Chongqing, P R China
Int J Oncol 34:1029-36. 2009..In the tumor, upregulation of Tenascin-C (Tn-C) expression potentially can alter tumor behavior...
- Tenascin-C stimulates contactin-dependent neurite outgrowth via activation of phospholipase CMelanie Michele
Department of Cell Morphology and Molecular Neurobiology, Ruhr University Bochum, Building ND 05 593, Universitatsstrabetae 150, D 44801 Bochum, Germany
Mol Cell Neurosci 41:397-408. 2009b>Tenascin-C (Tnc) is transiently expressed during neural development...
- Defective pulmonary vascular remodeling in Smad8 mutant miceZheng Huang
Institute of Biosciences and Technology, Texas A and M System Health Science Center, 2121 W Holcombe Blvd, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Hum Mol Genet 18:2791-801. 2009..pulmonary vasculature had upregulated Activin/Tgfbeta signaling and pathologic remodeling with aberrant Prx1 and Tenascin-C expression...
- RUNX2 AND PPAR-GAMMA IN CHONDROCYTE FUNCTIONMasahiro Iwamoto; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- Development of the primary olfactory pathwayHelen Treloar; Fiscal Year: 2005..We have examined the expression patterns of four ECM molecules, tenascin, laminin, perlecan, and chondroitin sulfate proteoglycans (CSPGs)...
- Characterization of Corneal Epithelial Stem CellsMary Ann Stepp; Fiscal Year: 2005..Discovering specific molecular markers for the limbal stem cells will aid in the development of treatments for stem cell deficiency diseases of the ocular surface in humans. ..
- Is non-canonical Wnt signaling required in cardiac neural crest cells?Ethan David Cohen; Fiscal Year: 2008..This.information may lead to new detection or treatment strategies. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Development of the primary olfactory pathwayHelen Treloar; Fiscal Year: 2009..We have identified members of the tenascin and chondroitin sulfate proteoglycans (CSPGs) as good candidates for the inhibitory cues that regulate axon ..