Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Stat3
Description: signal transducer and activator of transcription 3
Alias: 1110034C02Rik, AW109958, Aprf, signal transducer and activator of transcription 3, acute phase response factor
Publications223 found, 100 shown here
- Disruption of Stat3 reveals a critical role in both the initiation and the promotion stages of epithelial carcinogenesisKeith Syson Chan
Department of Carcinogenesis, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Smithville, Texas, USA
J Clin Invest 114:720-8. 2004Constitutive activation of signal transducer and activator of transcription 3 (Stat3) has been found in a wide spectrum of human malignancies...
- STAT3 tyrosine phosphorylation is critical for interleukin 1 beta and interleukin-6 production in response to lipopolysaccharide and live bacteriaLobelia Samavati
Department of Medicine, Division of Pulmonary, Critical Care and Sleep Medicine, Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit, MI 48201, USA
Mol Immunol 46:1867-77. 2009..that in response to LPS, the JAK/STAT pathway is activated, leading to tyrosine phosphorylation at residue 705 on STAT3 and at residue 701 on STAT1, respectively...
- Stat3 as an oncogeneJ F Bromberg
Laboratory of Molecular Cell Biology, The Rockefeller University, New York, New York 10021 6399, USA
Cell 98:295-303. 1999..In many human cancers and transformed cell lines, Stat3 is persistently activated, and in cell culture, active Stat3 is either required for transformation, enhances ..
- Stat3: a STAT family member activated by tyrosine phosphorylation in response to epidermal growth factor and interleukin-6Z Zhong
Laboratory of Molecular Cell Biology, Rockefeller University, New York, NY 10021
Science 264:95-8. 1994..A new family member, Stat3, becomes activated through phosphorylation on tyrosine as a DNA binding protein in response to epidermal growth ..
- Maximal activation of transcription by Stat1 and Stat3 requires both tyrosine and serine phosphorylationZ Wen
Laboratory of Molecular Cell Biology, Rockefeller University, New York, New York 10021 6399, USA
Cell 82:241-50. 1995Stat1 and Stat3 are latent transcriptional factors activated initially through phosphorylation on single tyrosine residues induced by cytokine and growth factor occupation of cell surface receptors...
- gp130-mediated Stat3 activation in enterocytes regulates cell survival and cell-cycle progression during colitis-associated tumorigenesisJulia Bollrath
2nd Department of Medicine, Klinikum rechts der Isar, Technical University Munich, Munich, Germany
Cancer Cell 15:91-102. 2009..and gain-of-function mice in a colitis-associated cancer model, we establish here a link comprising the gp130/Stat3 transcription factor signaling axis...
- Critical regulation of early Th17 cell differentiation by interleukin-1 signalingYeonseok Chung
Department of Immunology, M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Immunity 30:576-87. 2009..Our data thus indicate a critical role of IL-1 in Th17 cell differentiation and this pathway may serve as a unique target for Th17 cell-mediated immunopathology...
- Stat3 controls lysosomal-mediated cell death in vivoPeter A Kreuzaler
Department of Pathology, University of Cambridge, Tennis Court Road, Cambridge CB2 1QP, UK
Nat Cell Biol 13:303-9. 2011..Furthermore, although cell death through LMP is independent of executioner caspases 3, 6 and 7, it requires Stat3, which upregulates the expression of lysosomal proteases cathepsin B and L, while downregulating their endogenous ..
- Cutting edge: An in vivo requirement for STAT3 signaling in TH17 development and TH17-dependent autoimmunityTimothy J Harris
Department of Oncology, Johns Hopkins Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center, Baltimore, MD 21231, USA
J Immunol 179:4313-7. 2007b>STAT3 activation has been observed in several autoimmune diseases, suggesting that STAT3-mediated pathways promote pathologic immune responses...
- Persistently activated Stat3 maintains constitutive NF-kappaB activity in tumorsHeehyoung Lee
Beckman Research Institute, City of Hope National Medical Center, Duarte, CA 91010, USA
Cancer Cell 15:283-93. 2009..We show here that maintenance of NF-kappaB activity in tumors requires Stat3, which is also frequently constitutively activated in cancer...
- The transcription factor STAT3 is required for T helper 2 cell developmentGretta L Stritesky
Department of Pediatrics, Herman B Wells Center for Pediatric Research, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
Immunity 34:39-49. 2011..STAT6 is required for the development of T helper 2 (Th2) cells, whereas STAT3 promotes differentiation of Th17 and follicular helper T cell subsets...
- In vivo imaging reveals a phase-specific role of STAT3 during central and peripheral nervous system axon regenerationFlorence M Bareyre
Research Unit Therapy Development, Institute of Clinical Neuroimmunology, Ludwig Maximilians Universitat Munchen, 81377 Munich, Germany
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 108:6282-7. 2011..vivo time-lapse fluorescence microscopy with genetic manipulations in mice to reveal how the transcription factor STAT3 regulates axonal regeneration...
- STAT3 regulates cytokine-mediated generation of inflammatory helper T cellsXuexian O Yang
Department of Immunology, M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
J Biol Chem 282:9358-63. 2007..b>STAT3, activated by both IL-6 and IL-23, plays a critical role in THi development...
- Myeloid STAT3 inhibits T cell-mediated hepatitis by regulating T helper 1 cytokine and interleukin-17 productionFouad Lafdil
Section on Liver Biology, Laboratory of Physiologic Studies, National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland
Gastroenterology 137:2125-35.e1-2. 2009..The aim of this study was to investigate the immune cell-signaling pathways involved-specifically the role of signal transducer and activator of transcription 3 (STAT3)-in T cell-mediated hepatitis in mice.
- Stat3 activation is responsible for IL-6-dependent T cell proliferation through preventing apoptosis: generation and characterization of T cell-specific Stat3-deficient miceK Takeda
Department of Biochemistry, Hyogo College of Medicine, Nishinomiya, Japan
J Immunol 161:4652-60. 1998b>Stat3, a member of STAT, is activated by a variety of cytokines such as IL-6 family of cytokines, granulocyte CSF, epidermal growth factor, and leptin...
- Signal transducer and activator of transcription 3 is required for myocardial capillary growth, control of interstitial matrix deposition, and heart protection from ischemic injuryDenise Hilfiker-Kleiner
Department of Cardiology, Medical School Hannover, Germany
Circ Res 95:187-95. 2004The transcription factor signal transducer and activator of transcription 3 (STAT3) participates in a wide variety of physiological processes and directs seemingly contradictory responses such as proliferation and apoptosis...
- Roles of STAT3 defined by tissue-specific gene targetingS Akira
Department of Host Defense, Research Institute for Microbial Diseases, Osaka University, 3 1 Yamada oka, Suita, Osaka 565 0871, Japan
Oncogene 19:2607-11. 2000..In contrast to other STATs deficient mice that are born alive, STAT3-deficient mice die during early embryogenesis...
- STAT3 inhibition of gluconeogenesis is downregulated by SirT1Yongzhan Nie
Nat Cell Biol 11:492-500. 2009..4). In contrast, signal transducer and activator of transcription 3 (STAT3) inhibits glucose production by suppressing expression of these genes...
- Regulation of hepatic six transmembrane epithelial antigen of prostate 4 (STEAP4) expression by STAT3 and CCAAT/enhancer-binding protein alphaPreeti Ramadoss
From the Division of Endocrinology, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02215, USA
J Biol Chem 285:16453-66. 2010..We further demonstrate that the steap4 gene is a direct target of phosphorylated STAT3 in mouse liver...
- Prostaglandin E2 suppresses antifungal immunity by inhibiting interferon regulatory factor 4 function and interleukin-17 expression in T cellsPatricia A Valdez
Bacterial Pathogenesis Unit, Laboratory of Clinical Infectious Diseases, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Immunity 36:668-79. 2012..These findings suggest that host- or pathogen-derived PGE2 can act directly on Th17 cells during differentiation to inhibit IL-17-dependent antimicrobial responses...
- Loss of STAT3 in CD4+ T cells prevents development of experimental autoimmune diseasesXuebin Liu
Section of Molecular Immunology, Laboratory of Immunology, National Eye Institute, National Institutes of Health, 10 Center Drive, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
J Immunol 180:6070-6. 2008Th17 cells are implicated in CNS autoimmune diseases. We show that mice with targeted-deletion of Stat3 in CD4(+) T cells (CD4(Stat3)(-/-)) do not develop experimental autoimmune uveoretinitis (EAU) or experimental autoimmune ..
- IL-1 family members and STAT activators induce cytokine production by Th2, Th17, and Th1 cellsLiying Guo
Laboratory of Immunology, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:13463-8. 2009..Similarly, Th17 cells produce IL-17A in response to IL-1beta and a STAT3 activator and Th1 cells produce IFNgamma in response to IL-18 and a STAT4 inducer...
- Type I interferon inhibits interleukin-1 production and inflammasome activationGreta Guarda
Department of Biochemistry, University of Lausanne, Epalinges, Switzerland
Immunity 34:213-23. 2011..In addition, type I IFN induced IL-10 in a STAT1-dependent manner; autocrine IL-10 then signaled via STAT3 to reduce the abundance of pro-IL-1α and pro-IL-1β...
- Signal transducer and activator of transcription 3 protects from liver injury and fibrosis in a mouse model of sclerosing cholangitisMarkus Mair
Ludwig Boltzmann Institute for Cancer Research, Vienna, Austria
Gastroenterology 138:2499-508. 2010b>Signal transducer and activator of transcription 3 (Stat3) is the main mediator of interleukin-6-type cytokine signaling required for hepatocyte proliferation and hepatoprotection, but its role in sclerosing cholangitis and other ..
- Endothelial STAT3 plays a critical role in generalized myocardial proinflammatory and proapoptotic signalingMeijing Wang
Department of Surgery, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, Indiana, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 293:H2101-8. 2007..Recent evidence has indicated that STAT3 in cardiomyocytes can be activated by ischemic-oxidative stress and exerts cardioprotection in the ischemic heart...
- IL-17 can promote tumor growth through an IL-6-Stat3 signaling pathwayLin Wang
Department of Cancer Immunotherapeutics and Tumor Immunology, Beckman Research Institute at City of Hope Medical Center, Duarte, CA 91010, USA
J Exp Med 206:1457-64. 2009..The Th17 response can thus promote tumor growth, in part via an IL-6-Stat3 pathway.
- Stat3-dependent acute Rantes production in vascular smooth muscle cells modulates inflammation following arterial injury in miceJason C Kovacic
Translational Medicine Branch, National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute NIH, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
J Clin Invest 120:303-14. 2010..found that immediately following arterial injury, medial VSMCs upregulated Rantes in an acute manner dependent on Stat3 and NF-kappaB (p65 subunit)...
- Inhibiting Stat3 signaling in the hematopoietic system elicits multicomponent antitumor immunityMarcin Kortylewski
H Lee Moffitt Cancer Center and Research Institute, 12902 Magnolia Drive, Tampa, Florida 33612, USA
Nat Med 11:1314-21. 2005..Here, we show that Stat3 is constitutively activated in diverse tumor-infiltrating immune cells, and ablating Stat3 in hematopoietic cells ..
- STAT3 and Oct-3/4 control histone modification through induction of Eed in embryonic stem cellsHiroki Ura
Department of Stem Cell Biology, Graduate School of Medical Science, Kanazawa University, 13 1 Takara machi, Kanazawa, Ishikawa 920 8640, Japan
J Biol Chem 283:9713-23. 2008..Several essential transcription factors have been identified for the self-renewal of mouse ES cells, including STAT3, Oct-3/4, and Nanog. The molecular mechanism of ES cell self-renewal, however, is not fully understood...
- General nature of the STAT3-activated anti-inflammatory responseKarim C El Kasmi
Department of Infectious Diseases, St Jude s Children s Research Hospital, Memphis, TN 38105, USA
J Immunol 177:7880-8. 2006Although many cytokine receptors generate their signals via the STAT3 pathway, the IL-10R appears unique in promoting a potent anti-inflammatory response (AIR) via STAT3 to antagonize proinflammatory signals that activate the innate ..
- Inhibitory effect of a tyrosine-fructose Maillard reaction product, 2,4-bis(p-hydroxyphenyl)-2-butenal on amyloid-β generation and inflammatory reactions via inhibition of NF-κB and STAT3 activation in cultured astrocytes and microglial BV-2 cellsYoung Jung Lee
College of Pharmacy, Chungbuk National University, 12 Gaesin Dong, Heungduk gu, Cheongju, Chungbuk 361 763, Korea
J Neuroinflammation 8:132. 2011....
- STAT3 can serve as a hit in the process of malignant transformation of primary cellsM DeMaria
Molecular Biotechnology Center and Department of Genetics, Biology and Biochemistry, University of Turin, Italy
Cell Death Differ 19:1390-7. 2012The transcription factor signal transducer and activator of transcription 3 (STAT3) acts downstream of many pro-oncogenic signals, including cytokines, growth factors and oncogenes, and is accordingly constitutively active in a wide ..
- Interleukin-17 promotes autoimmunity by triggering a positive-feedback loop via interleukin-6 inductionHideki Ogura
Laboratory of Developmental Immunology, Graduate School of Frontier Biosciences, Graduate School of Medicine, Osaka University, Osaka 565 0871, Japan
Immunity 29:628-36. 2008..which involved the activation of the transcription factors nuclear factor (NF)-kappaB and signal transducer and activator of transcription 3 (STAT3) in fibroblasts...
- Dynamic balance of pSTAT1 and pSTAT3 in C57BL/6 mice infected with lethal or nonlethal Plasmodium yoeliiXibao Shi
Guangzhou Institute of Biomedicine and Health, Chinese Academy of Science, Guangzhou 510663, China
Cell Mol Immunol 5:341-8. 2008..The balance of the phosphorylated (activated) STAT1 (pSTAT1) and STAT3 (pSTAT3) has been documented in cancer immunology...
- Lack of glycoprotein 130/signal transducer and activator of transcription 3-mediated signaling in hepatocytes enhances chronic liver injury and fibrosis progression in a model of sclerosing cholangitisWerner Plum
Department of Medicine III, University Hospital Aachen, Aachen, Germany
Am J Pathol 176:2236-46. 2010..mice also displayed increased tumor necrosis factor-alpha expression, a diminished acute-phase response (lack of STAT3 and serum amyloid A activation), and enhanced immune cell infiltration in the liver...
- Absolute requirement for STAT3 function in small-intestine crypt stem cell survivalJ R Matthews
Division of Pathophysiology and Repair, School of Biosciences, Cardiff University, Cardiff, UK
Cell Death Differ 18:1934-43. 2011The transcription factor signal transducer and activator of transcription 3 (STAT3) is frequently activated in human cancers...
- Opposing roles of STAT1 and STAT3 in T cell-mediated hepatitis: regulation by SOCSFeng Hong
Section on Liver Biology, Laboratory of Physiologic Studies, National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
J Clin Invest 110:1503-13. 2002..In this model, both signal transducer and activator of transcription factor 1 (STAT1) and STAT3 are activated in the liver...
- IL-10-independent STAT3 activation by Toxoplasma gondii mediates suppression of IL-12 and TNF-alpha in host macrophagesBarbara A Butcher
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, College of Veterinary Medicine, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853, USA
J Immunol 174:3148-52. 2005..In this study, we show that cell invasion is accompanied by rapid and sustained activation of host STAT3. Activation of STAT3 did not occur with soluble T...
- Colony-stimulating factor-1 requires PI3-kinase-mediated metabolism for proliferation and survival in myeloid cellsA W M Lee
Department of Pharmacology, University of Michigan Medical School, 1150W Medical Center Dr, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
Cell Death Differ 13:1900-14. 2006..proliferation and survival, accompanied by absent signal transducers and activators of transcription 3 (Stat3) phosphorylation and reduced PI3-kinase/Akt activity...
- A pivotal role for galectin-1 in fetomaternal toleranceSandra M Blois
Charite, University Medicine Berlin, Biomedical Research Building, Campus Virchow, Augustenburger Platz 1, Berlin 13353, Germany
Nat Med 13:1450-7. 2007..Thus, Gal-1 is a pivotal regulator of fetomaternal tolerance that has potential therapeutic implications in threatened pregnancies...
- Regulating RISK: a role for JAK-STAT signaling in postconditioning?Michael D Goodman
Department of Surgery, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, Ohio 45267, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 295:H1649-56. 2008..A separate group of POC hearts was treated with AG 490, a JAK2 inhibitor, Stattic, a specific STAT3 inhibitor, or LY-294002, a PI3K inhibitor, at the onset of reperfusion...
- Specific ablation of Stat3beta distorts the pattern of Stat3-responsive gene expression and impairs recovery from endotoxic shockJoo Yeon Yoo
Department of Molecular Biology and Genetics, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Baltimore, MD, USA
Cell 108:331-44. 2002Alternative splicing of the gene for Stat3, a transcription factor activated by the IL-6 family of cytokines, produces two isoforms: Stat3alpha and a dominant-negative variant, Stat3beta...
- Activation of STAT3 by the hepatitis C virus core protein leads to cellular transformationTakafumi Yoshida
Division of Molecular and Cellular Immunology, Medical Institute of Bioregulation, Kyushu University, Maidashi, Higashi ku, Fukuoka 812 8582, Japan
J Exp Med 196:641-53. 2002..Among them, STAT3 is often constitutively phosphorylated and activated in human cancers and in transformed cell lines and is ..
- Induction of gp130-related cytokines and activation of JAK2/STAT3 pathway in astrocytes precedes up-regulation of glial fibrillary acidic protein in the 1-methyl-4-phenyl-1,2,3,6-tetrahydropyridine model of neurodegeneration: key signaling pathway for astKrishnan Sriram
HELD TMBB, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, 1095 Willowdale Road, Morgantown, WV 26505, USA
J Biol Chem 279:19936-47. 2004..Administration of MPTP caused rapid tyrosine (Tyr-705) phosphorylation and nuclear translocation of STAT3 in striatal astrocytes, prior to the induction of glial fibrillary acidic protein mRNA and protein...
- Signal transducer and activator of transcription 3 is a key regulator of keratinocyte survival and proliferation following UV irradiationShigetoshi Sano
Department of Dermatology and Social, Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine, Japan
Cancer Res 65:5720-9. 2005UVB irradiation of signal transducer and activator of transcription 3 (Stat3)-deficient keratinocytes resulted in a high incidence of apoptosis compared with controls...
- STAT3 targets the regulatory regions of gluconeogenic genes in vivoPreeti Ramadoss
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02215, USA
Mol Endocrinol 23:827-37. 2009..Previous reports demonstrate that signal transducer and activator of transcription 3 (STAT3) plays a key role in regulating gluconeogenic gene expression, but the mechanism ..
- Ischaemic postconditioning protects against reperfusion injury via the SAFE pathwayLydia Lacerda
Hatter Cardiovascular Research Institute, Cardioprotection Group, Department of Medicine, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Cape Town, Observatory 7925, Cape Town, South Africa
Cardiovasc Res 84:201-8. 2009....
- Endothelial cells require STAT3 for protection against endotoxin-induced inflammationArihiro Kano
Dept of Pathology, Yale University School of Medicine, P O Box 208023, New Haven, CT 06520, USA
J Exp Med 198:1517-25. 2003..Because STAT3 deficiency results in early embryonic lethality, we have generated mice with a conditional STAT3 deletion in ..
- Conditional ablation of Stat3 or Socs3 discloses a dual role for reactive astrocytes after spinal cord injurySeiji Okada
Department of Physiology, Keio University School of Medicine, 35 Shinanomachi, Shinjuku ku, Tokyo 160 8582, Japan
Nat Med 12:829-34. 2006..wound healing and functional recovery by using mice with a selective deletion of the protein signal transducer and activator of transcription 3 (Stat3) or the protein suppressor of cytokine signaling 3 (Socs3) under the control of the ..
- Targeted disruption of the mouse Stat3 gene leads to early embryonic lethalityK Takeda
Department of Biochemistry, Hyogo College of Medicine, Nishinomiya, Japan
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 94:3801-4. 1997..b>Stat3, a member of the STAT family, is activated by a variety of cytokines, including the interleukin 6 family of ..
- Enhanced Th1 activity and development of chronic enterocolitis in mice devoid of Stat3 in macrophages and neutrophilsK Takeda
Department of Biochemistry, Hyogo College of Medicine, Nishinomiya, Japan
Immunity 10:39-49. 1999We have generated mice with a cell type-specific disruption of the Stat3 gene in macrophages and neutrophils...
- Continuous glycoprotein-130-mediated signal transducer and activator of transcription-3 activation promotes inflammation, left ventricular rupture, and adverse outcome in subacute myocardial infarctionDenise Hilfiker-Kleiner
Department of Cardiology and Angiology, Medical School Hannover, Hannover, Germany
Circulation 122:145-55. 2010..By analyzing cardiomyocyte-specific gp130(Y757F) mutant mice, we investigated the effect of disturbed gp130 signaling after myocardial infarction...
- STAT3-induced S1PR1 expression is crucial for persistent STAT3 activation in tumorsHeehyoung Lee
Department of Cancer Immunotherapeutics and Tumor Immunology, Beckman Research Institute and City of Hope Comprehensive Cancer Center, Duarte, California, USA
Nat Med 16:1421-8. 2010..kinase (JAK) signaling is viewed as crucial for persistent signal transducer and activator of transcription-3 (STAT3) activation in cancer. However, IL-6-induced STAT3 activation is normally transient...
- Expression of "suppressor of cytokine signalling" (SOCS) genes in the developing and adult mouse nervous systemM N Polizzotto
The Walter and Eliza Hall Institute of Medical Research, Post Office, The Royal Melbourne Hospital, Parkville, Victoria 3050, Australia
J Comp Neurol 423:348-58. 2000..Its expression pattern indicated that SOCS-2 was expressed exclusively in neurons and that it was switched on developmentally at the time of neuronal differentiation...
- A dual role for oncostatin M signaling in the differentiation and death of mammary epithelial cells in vivoPaul G Tiffen
Department of Pathology, University of Cambridge, Cambridge, United Kingdom
Mol Endocrinol 22:2677-88. 2008..in response to leukemia inhibitory factor (LIF)-induced signal transducer and activator of transcription-3 (STAT3)...
- Opposing roles of gp130-mediated STAT-3 and ERK-1/ 2 signaling in liver progenitor cell migration and proliferationGeorge C T Yeoh
UWA Centre for Medical Research, The Western Australian Institute for Medical Research, Perth, Australia
Hepatology 45:486-94. 2007..For the first time, we have dissected the gp130-mediated signaling pathways, which influence liver progenitor oval cell proliferation...
- STAT3 mediates bone marrow mesenchymal stem cell VEGF productionMeijing Wang
Department of Surgery, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
J Mol Cell Cardiol 42:1009-15. 2007..We hypothesized that stress, in the form of hypoxia or TNF, activates MSCs to release VEGF by STAT3 and p38 MAPK dependent mechanisms...
- Synergistic signaling in fetal brain by STAT3-Smad1 complex bridged by p300K Nakashima
Department of Molecular Cell Biology, Cell Fate Modulation Research Unit, Medical Research Institute, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, Tokyo 101 0062, Japan
Science 284:479-82. 1999..The transcriptional coactivator p300 interacts physically with STAT3 at its amino terminus in a cytokine stimulation-independent manner, and with Smad1 at its carboxyl terminus in a ..
- C/EBPdelta is a crucial regulator of pro-apoptotic gene expression during mammary gland involutionMuthusamy Thangaraju
Laboratory of Protein Dynamics and Signaling, Center for Cancer Research, National Cancer Institute, Frederick, MD 21702 1201, USA
Development 132:4675-85. 2005The STAT3 transcription factor is an important initiator of mammary gland involution in the mouse...
- Pathologic consequences of STAT3 hyperactivation by IL-6 and IL-11 during hematopoiesis and lymphopoiesisBrendan J Jenkins
Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research, Victoria, Australia
Blood 109:2380-8. 2007We have previously demonstrated that STAT3 hyperactivation via the interleukin 6 (IL-6) cytokine family receptor gp130 in gp130 (Y757F/Y757F) mice leads to numerous hematopoietic and lymphoid pathologies, including neutrophilia, ..
- Stage-specific disruption of Stat3 demonstrates a direct requirement during both the initiation and promotion stages of mouse skin tumorigenesisKen Kataoka
Department of Carcinogenesis, Science Park Research Division, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, 1808 Park Road 1C, Smithville, TX 78957, USA
Carcinogenesis 29:1108-14. 2008Constitutive activation of signal transducer and activator of transcription 3 (Stat3) has been found in a variety of human malignancies and has been suggested to play an important role in carcinogenesis...
- Leukocyte antigen-related protein tyrosine phosphatase negatively regulates hydrogen peroxide-induced vascular smooth muscle cell apoptosisJuxiang Li
Department of Medicine, Carolina Cardiovascular Biology Center, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599 7126, USA
J Biol Chem 283:34260-72. 2008..addition, LAR deficiency enhanced H(2)O(2)-induced phosphorylation of Janus kinase 2 (JAK2), signal transducer and activator of transcription 3 (STAT3), and p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase (MAPK)...
- Endogenous suppression of mast cell development and survival by IL-4 and IL-10Kelly Speiran
Asthma and Allergic Disease Cooperative Research Center, Department of Biology, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA 23284 2012, USA
J Leukoc Biol 85:826-36. 2009..These experiments demonstrated a major role for Stat6 and Stat3, but not the Stat3-induced transcriptional repressor Ets variant gene 3...
- Stoichiometry of STAT3 and mitochondrial proteins: Implications for the regulation of oxidative phosphorylation by protein-protein interactionsDarci Phillips
Laboratory of Cardiac Energetics, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
J Biol Chem 285:23532-6. 2010The signal transducer and activator of transcription 3 (STAT3) is a transcription factor and downstream product of cytokine and growth factor pathways...
- STAT3 deficiency in keratinocytes leads to compromised cell migration through hyperphosphorylation of p130(cas)Masahiro Kira
Department of Dermatology, Course of Molecular Medicine, Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine, 2 2 Yamadaoka, Suita, Osaka 565 0871, Japan
J Biol Chem 277:12931-6. 2002We previously reported that STAT3 plays a crucial role in transducing a signal for migration of keratinocytes (Sano, S., Itami, S., Takeda, K., Tarutani, M., Yamaguchi, Y., Miura, H., Yoshikawa, K., Akira, S., and Takeda, J...
- Role of endogenous IL-10 in LPS-induced STAT3 activation and IL-1 receptor antagonist gene expressionVirginia S Carl
University of Virginia Health System, Department of Medicine, Digestive Health Center of Excellence and Microbiology, Charlottesville, VA 22908 0708, USA
J Leukoc Biol 76:735-42. 2004..The presence of a functional STAT3-binding site within the proximal sIL-1Ra promoter was demonstrated...
- IL-6 and Stat3 are required for survival of intestinal epithelial cells and development of colitis-associated cancerSergei Grivennikov
Laboratory of Gene Regulation and Signal Transduction, UCSD School of Medicine, University of California San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093 0723, USA
Cancer Cell 15:103-13. 2009..The proliferative and survival effects of IL-6 are largely mediated by the transcription factor Stat3, whose IEC-specific ablation has profound impact on CAC tumorigenesis...
- Cigarette smoke extract induces HO-1 expression in mouse cerebral vascular endothelial cells: involvement of c-Src/NADPH oxidase/PDGFR/JAK2/STAT3 pathwayRuey Horng Shih
Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, Chang Gung University, Tao Yuan, Taiwan
J Cell Physiol 225:741-50. 2010..CSE-induced HO-1 expression was mediated through PDGFR/JAK2/STAT3 cascade, which was observed by pretreatment with the respective pharmacological inhibitors or transfection with ..
- Serine phosphorylation of STATsT Decker
Vienna Biocenter, Institute of Microbiology and Genetics, Dr Bohr Gasse 9, A 1030 Vienna, Austria
Oncogene 19:2628-37. 2000..The biochemical and biological consequences of STAT serine phosphorylation are discussed. Oncogene (2000)...
- IL-6-gp130-STAT3 in T cells directs the development of IL-17+ Th with a minimum effect on that of Treg in the steady stateMika Nishihara
Laboratory of Developmental Immunology, Graduate School of Frontier Biosciences and Graduate School of Medicine, Osaka University, Osaka, Japan
Int Immunol 19:695-702. 2007..Here, we showed that CD4+ T cells carrying a mutant gp130 that transduces the SHP2/Gab/MAPK pathway but not the STAT3-mediated one failed to develop into Th17, while CD4+ T cells whose mutant gp130 transduces the STAT3 signal only ..
- Pecam-1 is a modulator of stat family member phosphorylation and localization: lessons from a transgenic mouseN Ilan
Department of Pathology, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut, 06510, USA
Dev Biol 232:219-32. 2001..We suggest that by serving as a scaffolding, PECAM-1 can bring substrates (STAT5a) and enzymes (a kinase) into close proximity, thereby modulating phosphorylation levels of selected proteins, as previously noted for beta-catenin...
- Control of myeloid-specific integrin alpha Mbeta 2 (CD11b/CD18) expression by cytokines is regulated by Stat3-dependent activation of PU.1Athanasia D Panopoulos
Department of Immunology, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
J Biol Chem 277:19001-7. 2002..Induction of both alpha(M) and beta(2) is dependent on Stat3, a major G-CSF-responsive signaling protein...
- Signal transducers and activators of transcription 3 (STAT3) inhibits transcription of the inducible nitric oxide synthase gene by interacting with nuclear factor kappaBZhiyuan Yu
Departments of Internal Medicine and of Integrative Biology, Pharmacology and Physiology, The University of Texas Medical School at Houston, 6431 Fannin, MSB 4 148, Houston, TX 77030, U S A
Biochem J 367:97-105. 2002..We explored the role of signal transducers and activators of transcription 3 (STAT3) proteins in interleukin (IL)-1beta- and lipopolysaccharide (LPS)+interferon (IFN)-gamma-mediated iNOS induction ..
- STAT3 is a negative regulator of granulopoiesis but is not required for G-CSF-dependent differentiationChien Kuo Lee
Department of Pathology, Kaplan Comprehensive Cancer Center, New York University School of Medicine, 10016, USA
Immunity 17:63-72. 2002b>STAT3 has been described as an essential component of G-CSF-driven cell proliferation and granulopoiesis. This notion was tested by conditional gene ablation in transgenic mice...
- Induced somatic inactivation of STAT3 in mice triggers the development of a fulminant form of enterocolitisTonino Alonzi
National Institute for Infectious Disease L Spallanzani IRCCS, Via Portuense 292, 00149 Rome, Italy
Cytokine 26:45-56. 2004We have generated mice in which the gene encoding the transcription factor STAT3 can be inactivated in multiple cell types by triggering the endogenous production of type I interferon...
- Socs3 deficiency in the brain elevates leptin sensitivity and confers resistance to diet-induced obesityHiroyuki Mori
Division of Molecular and Cellular Immunology, Medical Institute of Bioregulation, Kyushu University, 3 1 1 Maidashi, Higashi ku, Fukuoka 812 8582, Japan
Nat Med 10:739-43. 2004..Compared to their wild-type littermates, Socs3-deficient mice showed enhanced leptin-induced hypothalamic Stat3 tyrosine phosphorylation as well as pro-opiomelanocortin (POMC) induction, and this resulted in a greater body ..
- Genetic depletion of cardiac myocyte STAT-3 abolishes classical preconditioningRobert M Smith
Hatter Institute for Cardiology Research, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Cape Town Observatory, Cape Heart Centre, Chris Barnard Building, Cape Town 7925, South Africa
Cardiovasc Res 63:611-6. 2004..To evaluate the functional requirement of signal transducer and activator of transcription-3 (STAT-3) in cardiac myocyte tolerance to ischemia (I) and in classical preconditioning...
- The threshold of gp130-dependent STAT3 signaling is critical for normal regulation of hematopoiesisBrendan J Jenkins
Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research, Colon Molecular and Cell Biology Laboratory, PO Box 2008, Royal Melbourne Hospital, Victoria 3050, Australia
Blood 105:3512-20. 2005..To determine whether STAT3 hyperactivation was responsible for the perturbed hematopoiesis in gp130(Y757F/Y757F) mice, we generated gp130(..
- Interleukin-10 induces inhibitory C/EBPbeta through STAT-3 and represses HIV-1 transcription in macrophagesNaohiko Tanaka
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Department of Medicine, N Y U School of Medicine, New York, NY 10016, USA
Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 33:406-11. 2005..Only macrophages are able to repress HIV-1 LTR promoter activity and inhibit viral replication in response to IL-10 or type I IFN...
- JunD/AP-1 and STAT3 are the major enhancer molecules for high Bcl6 expression in germinal center B cellsEggi Arguni
Department of Developmental Genetics H2, Graduate School of Medicine, Chiba University, 1 8 1 Inohana, Chuo Ku, Chiba 260 8670, Japan
Int Immunol 18:1079-89. 2006..Activated STAT factors (STATs), especially activated STAT3, also bound to the silencer elements in GC B cells and competed with Bcl6 for the binding, suggesting that JunD/AP-..
- An RNA-binding protein alphaCP-1 is involved in the STAT3-mediated suppression of NF-kappaB transcriptional activityHitomi Nishinakamura
Division of Molecular and Cellular Immunology, Medical Institute of Bioregulation, Kyushu University, 3 1 1 Maidashi, Higashi ku, Fukuoka 812 8582, Japan
Int Immunol 19:609-19. 2007b>Signal transducer and activator of transcription 3 (STAT3) has been shown to mediate the anti-inflammatory effect of IL-10...
- Interferon-gamma induces X-linked inhibitor of apoptosis-associated factor-1 and Noxa expression and potentiates human vascular smooth muscle cell apoptosis by STAT3 activationYalai Bai
Interdepartmental Program in Vascular Biology and Transplantation and the Department of Surgery, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06510, USA
J Biol Chem 283:6832-42. 2008..In addition to STAT1 activation, IFN-gamma consistently phosphorylated STAT3 in human VSMCs but weakly or not at all in human endothelial cells or mouse VSMCs...
- Targeted disruption of stat3 reveals a major role for follicular stem cells in skin tumor initiationDae Joon Kim
Department of Carcinogenesis, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Science Park Research Division, Smithville, TX 78957, USA
Cancer Res 69:7587-94. 2009..Targeted disruption of signal transducer and activator of transcription 3 (Stat3) in bulge region KSCs was achieved by treating K15...
- Cooperative transcriptional activity of Jun and Stat3 beta, a short form of Stat3T S Schaefer
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21205 2185, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 92:9097-101. 1995..Among the proteins identified is a short form of Stat3 (designated Stat3 beta)...
- Preassociation of STAT1 with STAT2 and STAT3 in separate signalling complexes prior to cytokine stimulationL F Stancato
Department of Pharmacology, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, 48109, USA
J Biol Chem 271:4134-7. 1996..Similarly, STAT1-STAT3 heterocomplexes are coimmunoadsorbed from hypotonic cytosol...
- Leptin activation of Stat3 in the hypothalamus of wild-type and ob/ob mice but not db/db miceC Vaisse
Laboratory of Metabolic Diseases, Rockefeller University, New York, New York 10021, USA
Nat Genet 14:95-7. 1996..Leptin injection activated Stat3 but no other STAT protein in the hypothalamus of ob/ob and wild-type mice but not db/db mice, mutants that lack an ..
- STATs and gene regulationJ E Darnell
Laboratory of Molecular Cell Biology, Rockefeller University, New York, NY 10021, USA
Science 277:1630-5. 1997..The discovery of a STAT in Drosophila, and most recently in Dictyostelium discoideum, implies an ancient evolutionary origin for this dual-function set of proteins...
- Phosphotyrosyl peptides block Stat3-mediated DNA binding activity, gene regulation, and cell transformationJ Turkson
Molecular Oncology and Drug Discovery Programs, H Lee Moffitt Cancer Center and Research Institute, University of South Florida College of Medicine, Tampa, Florida 33612, USA
J Biol Chem 276:45443-55. 2001..Frequently, however, constitutive activation of certain STAT family members, particularly Stat3, has accompanied a wide variety of human malignancies...
- Role of Stat3 in regulating p53 expression and functionGuilian Niu
Immunology Program, H Lee Moffitt Cancer Center and Research Institute, Tampa, FL 33612, USA
Mol Cell Biol 25:7432-40. 2005..show here that oncogenic signaling pathways inhibit the p53 gene transcription rate through a mechanism involving Stat3, which binds to the p53 promoter in vitro and in vivo...
- STAT3 is a critical regulator of astrogliosis and scar formation after spinal cord injuryJulia E Herrmann
Department of Neurobiology, David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California 90095 1763, USA
J Neurosci 28:7231-43. 2008..GFAP) promoter to conditionally delete the cytokine and growth factor signal transducer, signal transducer and activator of transcription 3 (STAT3), from astrocytes...
- Stat3 mediates myeloid cell-dependent tumor angiogenesis in miceMaciej Kujawski
Beckman Research Institute, City of Hope National Medical Center, Duarte, California, USA
J Clin Invest 118:3367-77. 2008..Constitutively activated Stat3 in tumor cells has been shown to promote tumor invasion and angiogenesis...
- The STAT3 NH2-terminal domain stabilizes enhanceosome assembly by interacting with the p300 bromodomainTieying Hou
Department of Biochemistry, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, Texas 77555 1060, USA
J Biol Chem 283:30725-34. 2008b>Signal transducer and activator of transcription 3 (STAT3) is a latent transcription factor mainly activated by the interleukin-6 cytokine family...
- Tristetraprolin is required for full anti-inflammatory response of murine macrophages to IL-10Barbara Schaljo
Max F Perutz Laboratories, Department of Microbiology and Immunobiology, University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
J Immunol 183:1197-206. 2009..IL-10 controls proinflammatory cytokine and chemokine production indirectly via the transcription factor Stat3. One of the most physiologically significant IL-10 targets is TNF-alpha, a potent proinflammatory mediator that is ..
- Enhanced Stat3 activation in POMC neurons provokes negative feedback inhibition of leptin and insulin signaling in obesityMarianne B Ernst
Institute for Genetics, University of Cologne, Cologne Excellence Cluster on Cellular Stress Responses in Aging Associated Diseases CECAD, Center of Molecular Medicine Cologne, D 50674 Cologne, Germany
J Neurosci 29:11582-93. 2009Leptin-stimulated Stat3 activation in proopiomelanocortin (POMC)-expressing neurons of the hypothalamus plays an important role in maintenance of energy homeostasis...
- The macrophage cholesterol exporter ABCA1 functions as an anti-inflammatory receptorChongren Tang
Division of Metabolism, Endocrinology and Nutrition, Department of Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98195, USA
J Biol Chem 284:32336-43. 2009..Here we show that the ABCA1-mediated activation of JAK2 also activates STAT3, which is independent of the lipid transport function of ABCA1...
- Activated Rac1 requires gp130 for Stat3 activation, cell proliferation and migrationRozanne Arulanandam
Departments of Microbiology and Immunology and Pathology and Molecular Medicine, and Queen s University Cancer Institute, Queen s University, Botterell Hall, Rm 713, Kingston, Ontario, Canada K7L3N6
Exp Cell Res 316:875-86. 2010..activated forms of the Rho GTPases can activate the Signal Transducer and Activator of Transcription-3 (Stat3), but the exact mechanism is a matter of controversy...
- Involvement of gp130-associated cytokine signaling in Müller cell activation following optic nerve lesionMatthias Kirsch
Institute of Anatomy and Cell Biology, University of Freiburg, Albertstr 23, Freiburg, Germany
Glia 58:768-79. 2010..3 days after lesion as compared to wild-type animals and this corresponded with higher phosphorylation level of STAT3, an indicator of cytokine signaling...
- STAT3 protein interacts with Class O Forkhead transcription factors in the cytoplasm and regulates nuclear/cytoplasmic localization of FoxO1 and FoxO3a proteins in CD4(+) T cellsHyun Mee Oh
Molecular Immunology Section, NEI, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
J Biol Chem 287:30436-43. 2012..In this study, we show that STAT3 contributes to mechanisms that control the duration of T cell proliferation by regulating the subcellular location ..
- Molecular cloning of APRF, a novel IFN-stimulated gene factor 3 p91-related transcription factor involved in the gp130-mediated signaling pathwayS Akira
Institute for Molecular and Cellular Biology, Osaka University, Japan
Cell 77:63-71. 1994Acute-phase response factor (APRF) is a transcription factor that binds to the interleukin-6 (IL-6)-responsive elements identified in the promoters of various acute-phase protein genes. We report here the purification and cloning of APRF...
- In vitro activation of Stat3 by epidermal growth factor receptor kinaseO K Park
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 93:13704-8. 1996..To test the possibility of direct activation, we have used purified Stat3 alpha, Stat3 beta, and epidermal growth factor receptor kinase produced in recombinant baculovirus-infected Sf9 ..
- Three-dimensional structure of the Stat3beta homodimer bound to DNAS Becker
European Molecular Biology Laboratory, Grenoble Outstation, France
Nature 394:145-51. 1998..25 A resolution. The structure provides insight into the various steps by which STAT proteins deliver a response signal directly from the cell membrane to their target genes in the nucleus...
- Neurogenesis as a compensatory mechanism to regulate energy balanceALLISON XU; Fiscal Year: 2008..examine whether the newly generated cells are capable of responding to leptin by activating signal transducer and activator of transcription 3 (Stat3)...
- Genetic Control of SP-B Gene Expression in the LungCong Yan; Fiscal Year: 2006..and p160 co-activators, including SRC-1, TIF2 and ACTR) and signal transducers and activators of transcription 3 (STAT3) cooperatively stimulate hSP-B transcription through an enhancer region (-500 to -331 bp)...
- IFN-Is at the interface of Innate and Adapative ImmunityChristian W Schindler; Fiscal Year: 2010..2. Determine the unique role Stat2 exhibits in regulating MHC-II expression in macrophages 3. Explore the role SUMOylation may play in regulating the kinetics of IFN stimulated STATs. ..
- HTLV deregulation of NF-kappaB2 p100 processing in tumorGutian Xiao; Fiscal Year: 2010..The completion of the proposed studies may lead to new therapeutic strategies for p100 processing-associated human diseases. ..
- Role of Stat3 in Breast Cancer TumorigenesisJacqueline F Bromberg; Fiscal Year: 2010..Stat activation is commonly seen in cancer and in particular activated Stat3 is found in ~50% of breast cancer-derived cell lines and in primary breast adenocarcinomas and likely correlates ..
- PKA modulation of hedgehog: a mouse medulloblastoma modelJames Waschek; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- Nuclear Receptor Co-Activators in the LungCong Yan; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Regulation of Neural Precursors: Role of NeuropeptidesJames Waschek; Fiscal Year: 2006..The work may lead to new strategies for the diagnosis and treatment of diseases of brain development, degenerative diseases and brain tumors. ..
- Role of IL-10 in Periodontal Bone DestructionHajime Sasaki; Fiscal Year: 2005..In the present studies, we will employ the IL-10 -/- and cell-specific Stat3 deficient mice on T cell, macrophages, and keratinocytes to test the hypothesis that induction and progression of ..
- Gene Targeting to Study Light-induced Circadian ChangesJames Waschek; Fiscal Year: 2003..Moreover, the same targeting system should have utility in investigating individual components of the clock, such as PER, CRY, BMAL and CLOCK proteins. ..
- FRAP AND THE RAPAMYCIN SENSITIVE SIGNALING PATHWAYJie Chen; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Axima-CFR MALDI TOF Mass SpectrometerEDWARD FEENER; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- Regulation of angiotensin-induced PAI-1 expressionEDWARD FEENER; Fiscal Year: 2006..51B6.g7g7 mice). The long-term objective is to identify novel targets and approaches to control the blood pressure independent effects of Ang II on PAI-1 expression. ..
- ROLE OF SURFACTANT PROTEIN D IN SURFACTANT HOMEOSTASISMachiko Ikegami; Fiscal Year: 2006..The intended studies will provide fundamental insights into the role of SP-D in the protection of the lung, as well as into the basic mechanisms determining surfactant homeostasis. ..
- IMMUNOLOGICAL DISEASE MECHANISMSSankar Ghosh; Fiscal Year: 2006..These accomplishments more than fulfill the promises made in our initial application to establish an NlAlD training program in immunology. In the next five years we expect to consolidate and expand on these gains. ..
- Immunobiological Role of Fertilization Antigen(FA-1)RAJESH NAZ; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Regulation of Pulmonary Host Defense by LeptinPeter Mancuso; Fiscal Year: 2010..They will also test the use of exogenous leptin as an adjunctive therapeutic agent in the treatment of pneumococcal pneumonia. ..
- Pulmonary Mitochondrial Injury Caused by TetrahydrocannabinolTheodore Sarafian; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- COLUMBIA UNIVERSITY ASTHMA AND ALLERGY CLINICAL RESEARCHChristian Schindler; Fiscal Year: 2005..The Scientific Core will provide technical expertise and assistance in murine models of asthma and allergic immune responses. The Administrative Core will assist in organizing the Center?s activities. ..
- IL3,IL5, and GM-CSF Signaling and AsthmaChristian Schindler; Fiscal Year: 2004..Specifically we propose to: 1. Further characterize StIP1. 2. Functionally characterize the STAT four-bundle-helix. 3. Explore the role of Stat5 signal decay in primary leukocytes. ..
- FLUORESCENCE-ACTIVATED CELL SORTERChristian Schindler; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..