Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Smad5
Description: SMAD family member 5
Alias: 1110051M15Rik, AI451355, Dwf-C, Madh5, MusMLP, mothers against decapentaplegic homolog 5, MAD homolog 5, Smad 5, dwarfin-C, mSmad5, mothers against DPP homolog 5
Publications149 found, 100 shown here
- Teashirt 3 is necessary for ureteral smooth muscle differentiation downstream of SHH and BMP4Xavier Caubit
Institut de Biologie du Developpement de Marseille Luminy IBDML, UMR6216, CNRS, Universite de la Mediterranee, Marseille, France
Development 135:3301-10. 2008....
- Angiogenesis defects and mesenchymal apoptosis in mice lacking SMAD5X Yang
Genetics of Development and Disease Branch, National Institute of Diabetes, Digestive and Kidney Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Development 126:1571-80. 1999..growth factor-beta (TGF-beta) signals are mediated by a family of at least nine SMAD proteins, of which SMAD5 is thought to relay signals of the bone morphogenetic protein (BMP) pathway...
- Smad5 knockout mice die at mid-gestation due to multiple embryonic and extraembryonic defectsH Chang
Departments of Pathology, Cell Biology and Molecular and Human Genetics, and Program in Developmental Biology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX, USA
Development 126:1631-42. 1999b>Smad5 has been implicated as a downstream signal mediator for several bone morphogenetic proteins (BMPs). To understand the in vivo function of Smad5, we generated mice deficient in Smad5 using embryonic stem (ES) cell technology...
- Functions of mammalian Smad genes as revealed by targeted gene disruption in miceM Weinstein
Genetics of Development and Disease Branch, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, National Institutes of Health, 10 9N105, 10 Center Drive, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Cytokine Growth Factor Rev 11:49-58. 2000..These experiments have shown that Smad2 and Smad4 are needed for gastrulation, Smad5 for angiogenesis, and Smad3 for establishment of the mucosal immune response and proper development of the ..
- Mouse embryos lacking Smad1 signals display defects in extra-embryonic tissues and germ cell formationK D Tremblay
Molecular and Cellular Biology, Harvard University, 16 Divinity Avenue, Cambridge, MA 02138, USA
Development 128:3609-21. 2001..An examination of the expression domains of Smad1, Smad5 and Smad8 in early mouse embryos show that, while Smad1 is uniquely expressed in the visceral endoderm at 6...
- In vivo evidence that BMP signaling is necessary for apoptosis in the mouse limbUdayan Guha
Department of Nueroscience, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, New York 10461, USA
Dev Biol 249:108-20. 2002..These abnormalities were rescued by coexpressing BMP4 under the same promoter in double transgenic mice, suggesting that the limb abnormalities are a direct effect of inhibiting BMP signaling...
- Menin is required for bone morphogenetic protein 2- and transforming growth factor beta-regulated osteoblastic differentiation through interaction with Smads and Runx2Hideaki Sowa
Division of Endocrinology Metabolism, Neurology and Hematology Oncology, Department of Clinical Molecular Medicine, Kobe University Graduate School of Medicine, Kobe 6500017, Japan
J Biol Chem 279:40267-75. 2004..In osteoblasts the interaction of menin and the transforming growth factor-beta/Smad3 pathway negatively regulates the BMP-2/Smad1/5- and Runx2-induced transcriptional activities leading to inhibition of late-stage differentiation...
- LRP2/megalin is required for patterning of the ventral telencephalonRobert Spoelgen
Max Delbrueck Center for Molecular Medicine, Berlin, 13092, Germany
Development 132:405-14. 2005..Because megalin mediates endocytic uptake and degradation of BMP4, these findings indicate a role for megalin in neural tube specification, possibly by acting as BMP4 clearance receptor in the neuroepithelium...
- Bmpr1a and Bmpr1b have overlapping functions and are essential for chondrogenesis in vivoByeong S Yoon
Department of Molecular, Cell, and Developmental Biology, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:5062-7. 2005..In summary, our study demonstrates that BMPR1A and BMPR1B are functionally redundant during early chondrogenesis and that BMP signaling is required for chondrocyte proliferation, survival, and differentiation in vivo...
- Threshold-specific requirements for Bmp4 in mandibular developmentWei Liu
Alkek Institute of Biosciences and Technology, Texas A and M System Health Science Center, Houston, 77030, USA
Dev Biol 283:282-93. 2005..Lastly, we provide evidence that Prx homeobox genes repress expression of an Msx2 transgene, previously shown to be Bmp4-responsive, revealing a mechanism for differential regulation of Msx1 and Msx2 by Bmp signaling...
- Group 13 HOX proteins interact with the MH2 domain of R-Smads and modulate Smad transcriptional activation functions independent of HOX DNA-binding capabilityThomas M Williams
Department of Human Genetics, University of Michigan Ann Arbor, MI, USA
Nucleic Acids Res 33:4475-84. 2005..5, distal limb bud yeast two-hybrid prey library. Among the interactors, we isolated the BMP-signaling effector Smad5, which interacted with the paralogous HOXD13 but not with HOXA11 or HOXA9, revealing unique interaction ..
- Bmp2 is essential for cardiac cushion epithelial-mesenchymal transition and myocardial patterningLijiang Ma
Institute of Biosciences and Technology, Texas A and M University System Health Science Center, 2121 West Holcombe Boulevard, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Development 132:5601-11. 2005..Our data indicate that Bmp2 has a crucial role in coordinating multiple aspects of AV canal morphogenesis...
- Dose-dependent Smad1, Smad5 and Smad8 signaling in the early mouse embryoSebastian J Arnold
Wellcome Trust Centre for Human Genetics, University of Oxford, Roosevelt Drive, Oxford OX3 7BN, UK
Dev Biol 296:104-18. 2006Three closely related mammalian R-Smads, namely Smad1, Smad5 and Smad8, are activated by BMP receptors. Here we have taken a genetic approach to further dissect their possibly unique and/or shared roles during early mouse development...
- BMPs regulate multiple aspects of growth-plate chondrogenesis through opposing actions on FGF pathwaysByeong S Yoon
Department of Molecular, Cell and Developmental Biology, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Development 133:4667-78. 2006..These results provide a genetic in vivo demonstration that the progression of chondrocytes through the growth plate is controlled by antagonistic BMP and FGF signaling pathways...
- Reduction of BMP4 activity by gremlin 1 enables ureteric bud outgrowth and GDNF/WNT11 feedback signalling during kidney branching morphogenesisOdysse Michos
Developmental Genetics, DKBW Centre for Biomedicine, University of Basel Medical Faculty, Mattenstrasse 28, CH 4058 Basel, Switzerland
Development 134:2397-405. 2007....
- Msx1 and Msx2 regulate survival of secondary heart field precursors and post-migratory proliferation of cardiac neural crest in the outflow tractYi Hui Chen
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Norris Comprehensive Cancer Center and Hospital, University of Southern California Keck School of Medicine, 1441 Eastlake Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90033, USA
Dev Biol 308:421-37. 2007....
- Conditional deletion of Smad1 and Smad5 in somatic cells of male and female gonads leads to metastatic tumor development in miceStephanie A Pangas
Department of Pathology, Baylor College of Medicine, One Baylor Plaza, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Mol Cell Biol 28:248-57. 2008..Single conditional knockouts for Smad1 or Smad5 or mice homozygous null for Smad8 are viable and fertile...
- Cessation of gastrulation is mediated by suppression of epithelial-mesenchymal transition at the ventral ectodermal ridgeSho Ohta
Center for Animal Resources and Development, Graduate School of Medical and Pharmaceutical Sciences, Kumamoto University, Honjo 2 2 1, Kumamoto 860 0811, Japan
Development 134:4315-24. 2007..These indicate that the inhibition of Bmp signaling by temporal and/or spatial Nog expression suppresses EMT and leads to the cessation of the ingressive cell movement from the VER at the end of gastrulation...
- Enhanced BMP signaling results in supernumerary tooth formation in USAG-1 deficient mouseAkiko Murashima-Suginami
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Graduate School of Medicine, Kyoto University, Shogoin Kawahara cho, Sakyo ku, Kyoto 606 8507, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 369:1012-6. 2008..Based upon these results, we conclude that enhanced BMP signaling results in supernumerary teeth and BMP signaling was modulated by Wnt signaling in the USAG-1 deficient mouse model...
- Dlx3 is a crucial regulator of hair follicle differentiation and cyclingJoonsung Hwang
Developmental Skin Biology Unit, NIAMS, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Development 135:3149-59. 2008....
- Lrp4 modulates extracellular integration of cell signaling pathways in developmentAtsushi Ohazama
Department of Craniofacial Development, Dental Institute, King s College London, Guy s Hospital, London, UK
PLoS ONE 3:e4092. 2008..Thus in this context Wise acts as an extracellular signaling molecule linking two signaling pathways. We further show that a downstream mediator of this integration is the Shh signaling pathway...
- BMP7 promotes proliferation of nephron progenitor cells via a JNK-dependent mechanismUlrika Blank
Department of Molecular Medicine, Maine Medical Center Research Institute, 81 Research Drive, Scarborough, ME 04074, USA
Development 136:3557-66. 2009..Activation of Jun and ATF2 is severely diminished in Bmp7-null kidneys, providing an important in vivo correlate. BMP7 thus promotes proliferation directly in nephron progenitors by activating the JNK signaling circuitry...
- Smad1-Smad5 ovarian conditional knockout mice develop a disease profile similar to the juvenile form of human granulosa cell tumorsBrooke S Middlebrook
Department of Pathology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Endocrinology 150:5208-17. 2009..The TGFbeta family is active in mouse Smad1-Smad5 double knockout tumors, and here we show that this pathway, but not the beta-catenin pathway, is activated in ..
- Cv2, functioning as a pro-BMP factor via twisted gastrulation, is required for early development of nephron precursorsMakoto Ikeya
Organogenesis and Neurogenesis Group, RIKEN Center for Developmental Biology, 2 2 3 Minatojima minamimachi, Chuo, Kobe 650 0047, Japan
Dev Biol 337:405-14. 2010..These findings revealed the molecular hierarchy between extracellular modifiers that orchestrate local BMP signal peaks in the organogenetic microenvironment...
- Genome-wide mapping of SMAD target genes reveals the role of BMP signaling in embryonic stem cell fate determinationTeng Fei
The State Key Laboratory of Biomembrane and Membrane Biotechnology, Department of Biological Sciences and Biotechnology, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China
Genome Res 20:36-44. 2010..Combined with computational analysis, our results suggest that SMAD-mediated BMP signaling balances self-renewal versus differentiation by modulating a set of developmental regulators...
- Bone ridge patterning during musculoskeletal assembly is mediated through SCX regulation of Bmp4 at the tendon-skeleton junctionEinat Blitz
Department of Molecular Genetics, Weizmann Institute of Science, Rehovot 76100, Israel
Dev Cell 17:861-73. 2009..This study establishes a mechanistic basis for tendon-skeleton regulatory interactions during musculoskeletal assembly and bone secondary patterning...
- Regulation of retinal progenitor cell differentiation by bone morphogenetic protein 4 is mediated by the smad/id cascadeYang Du
Department of Anatomy, The University of Hong Kong, Pokfulam, Hong Kong SAR, China
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 51:3764-73. 2010..CONCLUSIONS. These results suggest that Id genes are one of the potential targets of BMP signaling in the differentiation of RPCs...
- E-selectin ligand-1 regulates growth plate homeostasis in mice by inhibiting the intracellular processing and secretion of mature TGF-betaTao Yang
Department of Molecular and Human Genetics, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
J Clin Invest 120:2474-85. 2010..This study identifies what we believe to be a novel intracellular mechanism for regulating TGF-beta during skeletal development and homeostasis...
- Modulation of BMP signaling by Noggin is required for the maintenance of palatal epithelial integrity during palatogenesisFenglei He
Department of Cell and Molecular Biology, Tulane University, New Orleans, LA 70118, USA
Dev Biol 347:109-21. 2010....
- BmprIa is required in mesenchymal tissue and has limited redundant function with BmprIb in tooth and palate developmentLu Li
Department of Cell and Molecular Biology, Tulane University, New Orleans, LA 70118, USA
Dev Biol 349:451-61. 2011..Our results demonstrate an essential role for BmprIa in the mesenchymal component and a limited functional redundancy between BmprIa and BmprIb in a tissue-specific manner during tooth and palate development...
- Regeneration of axons in injured spinal cord by activation of bone morphogenetic protein/Smad1 signaling pathway in adult neuronsPranav Parikh
Fishberg Department of Neuroscience, Friedman Brain Institute, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY 10029, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 108:E99-107. 2011..Together, our results identify a therapeutic target to promote axonal regeneration after SCI...
- Bmp7 functions via a polarity mechanism to promote cloacal septationKun Xu
Department of Urology, School of Medicine, New York University, New York, New York, United States of America
PLoS ONE 7:e29372. 2012..Defects in cloacal development are very common and present clinically as a rectourethral fistula in about 1 in 5,000 live human births. Yet, the cellular mechanisms of cloacal septation remain poorly understood...
- Immunohistochemical expression of Smads 1-6 in the 15-day gestation mouse embryo: signaling by BMPs and TGF-betasK C Flanders
Laboratory of Cell Regulation and Carcinogenesis, National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, MD 20892 5055, USA
Dev Dyn 220:141-54. 2001..Differences are observed in the nuclear versus cytoplasmic localization among the Smads in different cell types or tissues, suggesting selective activation of Smads during this stage of development...
- SMAD 8 binding to mice Msx1 basal promoter is required for transcriptional activationRenata Binato
Laboratorio de Biologia Molecular Maury Miranda, Instituto de Biofisica Carlos Chagas Filho, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brazil
Biochem J 393:141-50. 2006..Binding of purified SMAD 1 and SMAD 4 as well as supershift assay with SMAD 1/SMAD 5/SMAD 8 antibody proved that a SMAD protein is present in this complex...
- Transforming growth factor beta signalling in vitro and in vivo: activin ligand-receptor interaction, Smad5 in vasculogenesis, and repression of target genes by the deltaEF1/ZEB-related SIP1 in the vertebrate embryoA Zwijsen
Laboratory of Molecular Biology Celgen, Department of Cell Growth, Differentiation and Development VIB 07, Flanders Interuniversity Institute for Biotechnology VIB, University of Leuven, Belgium
Mol Cell Endocrinol 180:13-24. 2001..We then illustrate how Smad5 knockout mice and an overexpression approach with a truncated TGFbeta type II receptor in the mouse embryo can ..
- Role of smad- and wnt-dependent pathways in embryonic cardiac developmentRajarshi Pal
Embryonic Stem Cell Group, Reliance Life Sciences, Ltd, Navi Mumbai 400701, India
Stem Cells Dev 15:29-39. 2006..5, and MEF-2C augments cardiac differentiation mediated by cooperative control of Smad and Wnt signaling pathways. Our results provide a solid foundation for further study of the biochemistry of cardiac differentiation from stem cells...
- Myocardial smad4 is essential for cardiogenesis in mouse embryosLanying Song
Department of Genetics, Division of Genetic and Translational Medicine, The University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL 35294, USA
Circ Res 101:277-85. 2007..In conclusion, this study provides the first mouse model showing that Smad4 plays essential roles during cardiogenesis...
- TGFbeta-stimulated Smad1/5 phosphorylation requires the ALK5 L45 loop and mediates the pro-migratory TGFbeta switchIrwin M Liu
Department of Pharmacology and Cancer Biology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
EMBO J 28:88-98. 2009..switch' in mammary epithelial cells in vitro, we found that TGFbeta stimulates the phosphorylation of Smad1 and Smad5, which are typically associated with bone morphogenetic protein signalling...
- Loss of procollagen IIA from the anterior mesendoderm disrupts the development of mouse embryonic forebrainAlan W L Leung
Department of Biochemistry, Li Ka Shing Faculty of Medicine, The University of Hong Kong, Pokfulam, Hong Kong, China
Dev Dyn 239:2319-29. 2010..Genetic interaction studies reveal that IIA function in forebrain and face development does not involve bone morphogenetic protein receptor 1A (BMPR1A)- or NODAL-mediated signaling activity...
- Dragon (repulsive guidance molecule b) inhibits IL-6 expression in macrophagesYin Xia
Center for Systems Biology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02114, USA
J Immunol 186:1369-76. 2011..These results indicate that Dragon is an important negative regulator of IL-6 expression in immune cells and that Dragon-deficient mice may be a useful model for studying immune and inflammatory disorders...
- Probing transcription-specific outputs of β-catenin in vivoTomas Valenta
Institute of Molecular Life Sciences, University of Zurich, 8057 Zurich, Switzerland
Genes Dev 25:2631-43. 2011..Our model animals thus allow dissecting signaling and structural functions of β-catenin in vivo and provide the first genetic tool to generate cells and tissues that entirely and exclusively lack canonical Wnt pathway activity...
- Smad1/Smad5 signaling in limb ectoderm functions redundantly and is required for interdigital programmed cell deathYuk Lau Wong
School of Life Sciences, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, PR China
Dev Biol 363:247-57. 2012..investigate the role of Smad proteins in BMP-regulated AER functions in limb development, we inactivated Smad1 and Smad5 selectively in AER and ventral ectoderm of developing limb, using Smad1 or/and Smad5 floxed alleles and an En1(Cre/..
- Spatial restriction of bone morphogenetic protein signaling in mouse gastrula through the mVam2-dependent endocytic pathwayMinako Aoyama
Division of Biological Science, Institute of Scientific and Industrial Research, Osaka University, 8 1 Mihogaoka, Ibaraki, Osaka 567 0047, Japan
Dev Cell 22:1163-75. 2012..could terminate signaling after the removal of the growth factors including TGF-β and EGF, except BMP-Smad1/Smad5 signaling...
- Myocardin regulates BMP10 expression and is required for heart developmentJianhe Huang
University of Pennsylvania, Cardiovascular Institute, Department of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA 19104 5159, USA
J Clin Invest 122:3678-91. 2012..Taken together, these data identify a heretofore undescribed myocardin/BMP10 signaling pathway that regulates cardiomyocyte proliferation and apoptosis in the embryonic heart...
- Tbx1 genetically interacts with the transforming growth factor-β/bone morphogenetic protein inhibitor Smad7 during great vessel remodelingIrinna Papangeli
UCL ICH, 30 Guilford St, London WC1N 1EH, UK
Circ Res 112:90-102. 2013..Tbx1 haploinsufficient embryos, which model DiGeorge syndrome, display fourth arch artery defects during formation of the vessels. Recovery from such defects is a documented yet unexplained phenotype in Tbx1 haploinsufficiency...
- TGF-β-activated kinase 1 (Tak1) mediates agonist-induced Smad activation and linker region phosphorylation in embryonic craniofacial neural crest-derived cellsKenji Yumoto
Department of Biologic and Materials Sciences, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
J Biol Chem 288:13467-80. 2013..The role of Smad-independent TGF-β signaling in craniofacial development is poorly elucidated...
- Bone morphogenic protein signaling is a major determinant of dentate developmentYoungshik Choe
Department of Neurology, Programs in Neuroscience and Developmental Stem Cell Biology, Eli and Edythe Broad Center of Regeneration Medicine and Stem Cell Research, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, California 94158, USA
J Neurosci 33:6766-75. 2013..These results suggest that Acvr1-mediated meningeal Bmp signaling regulates Lef1 expression in the dentate, regulating embryonic DG neurogenesis, DG neural stem cell niche formation, and maintenance...
- The cortical hem regulates the size and patterning of neocortexGiuliana Caronia-Brown
Department of Neurobiology, University of Chicago, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
Development 141:2855-65. 2014..Our findings reveal a much broader role for the hem in cortical development than previously recognized, and emphasize that two major signaling centers interact antagonistically to pattern cerebral cortex. ..
- KMUP-1 Promotes Osteoblast Differentiation Through cAMP and cGMP Pathways and Signaling of BMP-2/Smad1/5/8 and Wnt/β-CateninShu Fen Liou
Department of Pharmacy, Chia Nan University of Pharmacy and Science, Tainan, Taiwan
J Cell Physiol 230:2038-48. 2015..These effects are mediated, in part, by the cAMP and cGMP signaling. Thus, KMUP-1 may be a novel osteoblast activator and a potential new therapy for osteoporosis...
- BMP-SMAD Signaling Regulates Lineage Priming, but Is Dispensable for Self-Renewal in Mouse Embryonic Stem CellsMaria Gomes Fernandes
Department Anatomy and Embryology, Leiden University Medical Center, Leiden 2333 ZC, The Netherlands
Stem Cell Reports 6:85-94. 2016..Using double Smad1;Smad5 knockout mESCs, we showed that BMP-SMAD signaling is dispensable for self-renewal in both naive and ground state...
- Betulinic acid synergically enhances BMP2-induced bone formation via stimulating Smad 1/5/8 and p38 pathwaysHyuck Choi
Research Center for Biomineralization Disorders, School of Dentistry, Chonnam National University, Gwangju, Republic of Korea
J Biomed Sci 23:45. 2016..Betulinic acid (BetA) is a natural pentacyclic triterpenoid from plants. This study aimed to examine combinatory effects of BetA and BMP2 on ectopic bone generation in mice...
- Interaction of TGFβ and BMP signaling pathways during chondrogenesisBettina Keller
Department of Molecular and Human Genetics, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas, United States of America
PLoS ONE 6:e16421. 2011..The addition of Smad5 haploinsufficiency led to a more severe phenotype with shorter prehypertrophic and hypertrophic zones and ..
- Identification of a Tbx1/Tbx2/Tbx3 genetic pathway governing pharyngeal and arterial pole morphogenesisKarim Mesbah
Developmental Biology Institute of Marseille Luminy, Aix Marseille University, CNRS UMR6216, Marseille, France
Hum Mol Genet 21:1217-29. 2012..2DS patients...
- A TGFβ-Smad4-Fgf6 signaling cascade controls myogenic differentiation and myoblast fusion during tongue developmentDong Han
Center for Craniofacial Molecular Biology, Ostrow School of Dentistry, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA 90033, USA
Development 139:1640-50. 2012..Taken together, our study demonstrates that a TGFβ-Smad4-Fgf6 signaling cascade plays a crucial role in myogenic cell fate determination and lineage progression during tongue myogenesis...
- MT1-MMP inactivates ADAM9 to regulate FGFR2 signaling and calvarial osteogenesisKui Ming Chan
Shenzhen Institute of Research and Innovation, The University of Hong Kong, Shenzhen, China
Dev Cell 22:1176-90. 2012..These data reveal a regulatory paradigm for FGRF2 signaling and identify MT1-MMP as a critical negative modulator of ADAM9 activity to maintain FGFR2 signaling in calvarial osteogenesis...
- Perichondrium phenotype and border function are regulated by Ext1 and heparan sulfate in developing long bones: a mechanism likely deranged in Hereditary Multiple ExostosesJulianne Huegel
Division of Orthopaedic Surgery, The Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Dev Biol 377:100-12. 2013..Alterations in these mechanisms may contribute to exostosis formation in HME, particularly at the expense of regions rich in progenitor cells including the groove of Ranvier...
- Notch2 regulates BMP signaling and epithelial morphogenesis in the ciliary body of the mouse eyeYi Zhou
Stowers Institute for Medical Research, Kansas City, MO 64110, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 110:8966-71. 2013..Based on our findings, we propose that Jag1-Notch2 signaling controls CB morphogenesis at least in part by regulating cell proliferation and BMP signaling...
- Can't get no SMADisfaction: Smad proteins as positive and negative regulators of TGF-beta family signalsJ L Christian
Department of Cell and Developmental Biology, Oregon Health Sciences University, School of Medicine, Portland 97201 3098, USA
Bioessays 21:382-90. 1999..Negative feedback circuits such as these play important roles in fine-tuning the activity of multifunctional signaling molecules during embryonic patterning and in response to pathologic stimuli in adults...
- Multifactorial genetics of exencephaly in SELH/Bc miceD M Juriloff
Department of Medical Genetics, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC, V6T 1Z3, Canada
Teratology 64:189-200. 2001..The SELH/Bc mouse strain has 10-30% exencephaly and is an animal model for human neural tube closure defects. This study examined the number of causative genes, their dominance relationships, and linkage map positions...
- Dynamic regulation of Smad expression during mesenchyme to epithelium transition in the metanephric kidneyLeif Oxburgh
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, Harvard University, 16 Divinity Avenue, Cambridge, MA 02138, USA
Mech Dev 112:207-11. 2002..Down-regulation is complete in lithium chloride induced mesenchymal condensates, indicating that Smad regulation takes place at an early stage, prior to mesenchyme to epithelium transition...
- Identification of mZnf8, a mouse Krüppel-like transcriptional repressor, as a novel nuclear interaction partner of Smad1Kai Jiao
Howard Hughes Medical Institute and Department of Cell Biology, Vanderbilt University Medical School, Nashville, Tennessee 37232, USA
Mol Cell Biol 22:7633-44. 2002..Our data support the hypothesis that mZnf8 plays critical roles in mediating BMP signaling during spermatogenesis...
- Bone morphogenetic protein 2/4 signaling regulates early thymocyte differentiationAriadne L Hager-Theodorides
Department of Biological Sciences, Imperial College of Science Technology and Medicine, London SW7 2AZ, UK
J Immunol 169:5496-504. 2002..Our study suggests that the BMP2/4 pathway may function in thymic homeostasis by regulating T cell lineage commitment and differentiation...
- Generation of a floxed allele of Smad5 for cre-mediated conditional knockout in the mouseLieve Umans
Department of Developmental Biology VIB 7, Flanders Interuniversity Institute for Biotechnology VIB, and Laboratory of Molecular Biology Celgen, University of Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
Genesis 37:5-11. 2003b>Smad5 is a member of the Smad family of intracellular mediators of BMP signals and in endothelial cells of TGF-beta signals. We and others previously showed that loss of Smad5 in the mouse results in embryonic lethality (between E9.5-E11...
- Tgf-beta3-induced palatal fusion is mediated by Alk-5/Smad pathwayMarek Dudas
Developmental Biology Program, Department of Pathology of University of Southern California, Childrens Hospital Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA 90027, USA
Dev Biol 266:96-108. 2004..Based on these observations, we conclude that the Smad2-dependent Alk-5 signaling pathway is dominant in palatal fusion driven by Tgf-beta3...
- Synergy and antagonism between Notch and BMP receptor signaling pathways in endothelial cellsFumiko Itoh
Division of Cellular Biochemistry, The Netherlands Cancer Institute, Amsterdam
EMBO J 23:541-51. 2004..Our results support the notion that Herp2 functions as a critical switch downstream of Notch and BMP receptor signaling pathways in ECs...
- Suv39h histone methyltransferases interact with Smads and cooperate in BMP-induced repressionPilar Frontelo
Department of Cell Biology, Georgetown University Medical School, Box 571436, Washington, DC 20057 1436, USA
Oncogene 23:5242-51. 2004..to identify novel partners of Smad proteins in transcriptional regulation, we performed a two-hybrid screen using Smad5, a protein that is activated predominantly by bone morphogenetic protein (BMP) signaling...
- Bmp2 antagonizes sonic hedgehog-mediated proliferation of cerebellar granule neurones through Smad5 signallingIria Rios
Instituto de Biología Molecular de Barcelona CSIC Barcelona, C Josep Samitier 1 5, Barcelona 08028, Spain
Development 131:3159-68. 2004..signal, are also differentially expressed in the developing cerebellum: Smad1 in the external germinal layer and Smad5 in newly differentiated granule neurones...
- In vivo convergence of BMP and MAPK signaling pathways: impact of differential Smad1 phosphorylation on development and homeostasisJosée Aubin
Program in Developmental Biology, Division of Basic Sciences, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, Washington 98109, USA
Genes Dev 18:1482-94. 2004..In addition, formation of PGCs is impaired in Smad1(L/L) mutants, but restored by allelic complementation in Smad1(C/L) compound mutants. These results underscore the need to tightly balance BMP and MAPK signaling pathways through Smad1...
- Smad function and intranuclear targeting share a Runx2 motif required for osteogenic lineage induction and BMP2 responsive transcriptionFaiza Afzal
Department of Cell Biology and Cancer Center, University of Massachusetts Medical School, Worcester, Massachusetts, USA
J Cell Physiol 204:63-72. 2005..Our findings suggest that TGFbeta/ BMP2 signaling, MAPK dependent phosphorylation, and Runx2 subnuclear targeting converge to induce the osteogenic phenotype...
- BMP4 and Madh5 regulate the erythroid response to acute anemiaLaurie E Lenox
Department of Veterinary Science, Graduate Program in Biochemistry, Microbiology and Molecular Biology, and Huck Institute for Life Sciences Cell and Developmental Biology Option, Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA 16802, USA
Blood 105:2741-8. 2005..Here, we show that f/f mutant mice have a mutation in Madh5. Our analysis shows that BMP4/Madh5-dependent signaling, regulated by hypoxia, initiates the differentiation and ..
- The docking protein FRS2alpha is an essential component of multiple fibroblast growth factor responses during early mouse developmentN Gotoh
Department of Pharmacology, Yale University School of Medicine, 333 Cedar Street, New Haven, CT 06520, USA
Mol Cell Biol 25:4105-16. 2005..These experiments underscore the critical role of FRS2alpha in mediating multiple processes during embryonic development and reveal a potential new link between FGF and Bmp4 signaling pathways in early embryogenesis...
- Development of bat flight: morphologic and molecular evolution of bat wing digitsKaren E Sears
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Department of Pediatrics, Section of Developmental Biology, University of Colorado at Denver and Health Sciences Center, 12800 East 19th Avenue, Aurora, CO 80045, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:6581-6. 2006..Together, our results suggest that an up-regulation of the Bmp pathway is one of the major factors in the developmental elongation of bat forelimb digits, and it is potentially a key mechanism in their evolutionary elongation as well...
- Mutation of an upstream cleavage site in the BMP4 prodomain leads to tissue-specific loss of activityDevorah C Goldman
Department of Cell and Developmental Biology, Oregon Health and Sciences University, School of Medicine, 3181 SW Sam Jackson Park Road, Portland, OR 97239 3098, USA
Development 133:1933-42. 2006..In addition, these studies provide the first genetic evidence that BMP4 is required for dorsal vertebral fusion and closure of the ventral body wall...
- Bmp and Wnt/beta-catenin signals control expression of the transcription factor Olig3 and the specification of spinal cord neuronsDietmar Zechner
Max Delbrück Center of Molecular Medicine, Robert Rossle Strasse 10, 13125 Berlin, Germany
Dev Biol 303:181-90. 2007..We conclude that Wnt/beta-catenin and BMP signals coordinately control the specification of dorsal neurons in the spinal cord...
- BMP signalling inhibits premature neural differentiation in the mouse embryoAida Di-Gregorio
Molecular Embryology Group, MRC Clinical Sciences Centre, Imperial College London, Hammersmith Hospital Campus, Du Cane Road, London W12 ONN, UK
Development 134:3359-69. 2007..Together, our results demonstrate that inhibition of BMP signalling has a central role during neural induction in mammals and suggest that FGFs do not act as neural inducers in the post-implantation mouse embryo...
- Disrupted cardiac development but normal hematopoiesis in mice deficient in the second CXCL12/SDF-1 receptor, CXCR7Frederic Sierro
Department of Immunology and Inflammation, Garvan Institute of Medical Research, 384 Victoria Street, Darlinghurst NSW 2010, Australia
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:14759-64. 2007..Our results reveal a specialized role for CXCR7 in endothelial biology and valve development and highlight the distinct developmental role of evolutionary conserved chemokine receptors such as CXCR7 and CXCR4...
- SMAD expression in the testis: an insight into BMP regulation of spermatogenesisCatherine Itman
Monash Institute of Medical Research, and the Australian Research Council Centre of Excellence in Biotechnology and Development, Monash University, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Dev Dyn 237:97-111. 2008..Smad1, Smad5, Smad8, Smad4, Smad6, and Smad7 expression is ubiquitous during testis development but becomes cell-specific in ..
- Requirement of Oct3/4 function for germ cell specificationDaiji Okamura
Cell Resource Center for Biomedical Research, Institute of Development, Aging and Cancer, Tohoku University, 4 1 Seiryo machi, Sendai 980 8575, Japan
Dev Biol 317:576-84. 2008..In the presence of Dox, Oct3/4 protein was absent in the nuclei of the ES-derived cells, which failed to form PGCs. In contrast, the ES-derived cells could be specified to PGCs after activation of Oct3/4 function in the presence of Dex...
- Indian hedgehog signals independently of PTHrP to promote chondrocyte hypertrophyKinglun Kingston Mak
Genetic Disease Research Branch, National Human Genome Research Institute, 49 Convent Drive, MSC 4472, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Development 135:1947-56. 2008..In addition, we found that bone morphogenetic protein (Bmp) and Wnt/beta-catenin signaling in the cartilage may both mediate the effect of upregulated Ihh signaling in promoting chondrocyte hypertrophy...
- BMP signaling dynamics in embryonic orofacial tissuePartha Mukhopadhyay
Department of Molecular, Cellular and Craniofacial Biology, University of Louisville Birth Defects Center, ULSD, University of Louisville, Louisville, Kentucky 40292, USA
J Cell Physiol 216:771-9. 2008..Collectively, these data document the existence of a functional Smad-mediated BMP signaling system in cells of the developing murine orofacial region...
- Msx1 and Msx2 are required for endothelial-mesenchymal transformation of the atrioventricular cushions and patterning of the atrioventricular myocardiumYi Hui Chen
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, USC Norris Comprehensive Cancer Center and Hospital, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA 90089 9176, USA
BMC Dev Biol 8:75. 2008....
- Smad7 is required for the development and function of the heartQian Chen
Department of Medical and Molecular Genetics, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, Indiana 46202, USA
J Biol Chem 284:292-300. 2009..Taken together, these observations pinpoint an important role of Smad7 in the development and function of the mouse heart in vivo...
- Smad5 haploinsufficiency leads to hair cell and hearing lossShi Ming Yang
Department of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, Institute of Otolaryngology, Chinese PLA General Hospital, Beijing, People s Republic of China
Dev Neurobiol 69:153-61. 2009..Knockout of the Smad5 is embryonic lethal. However, the Smad5 knockout of single allele (+/-) could survive...
- EphA4 as an effector of Twist1 in the guidance of osteogenic precursor cells during calvarial bone growth and in craniosynostosisMan Chun Ting
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Norris Cancer Hospital, University of Southern California Keck School of Medicine, Los Angeles, CA 90089 9176, USA
Development 136:855-64. 2009..We suggest that the failure of this process in Twist1 and EphA4 mutants is the cause of craniosynostosis...
- Twisted gastrulation limits apoptosis in the distal region of the mandibular arch in miceBreAnne MacKenzie
Department of Pediatrics, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN 55455 0356, USA
Dev Biol 328:13-23. 2009..Altered distribution of BMP signaling leads to a shift in gene expression and increase in apoptosis. The extent of apoptosis may account for the variable degree of mandibular defects in Twsg1 mutants...
- Critical roles of the TGF-beta type I receptor ALK5 in perichondrial formation and function, cartilage integrity, and osteoblast differentiation during growth plate developmentTomoya Matsunobu
Laboratory of Cell and Developmental Biology, National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892 4370, USA
Dev Biol 332:325-38. 2009..These results demonstrate the important roles of TGF-beta signaling in perichondrium formation and differentiation, as well as in growth plate integrity during skeletal development...
- Murine Jagged1/Notch signaling in the second heart field orchestrates Fgf8 expression and tissue-tissue interactions during outflow tract developmentFrances A High
Department of Cell and Developmental Biology, Cardiovascular Institute, and Institute for Regenerative Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA, USA
J Clin Invest 119:1986-96. 2009....
- Heparan sulfate deficiency in periocular mesenchyme causes microphthalmia and ciliary body dysgenesisKeiichiro Iwao
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Science, Kumamoto University, Graduate School of Medical Sciences, 1 1 1, Honjo, 860 8556 Kumamoto City, Japan
Exp Eye Res 90:81-8. 2010..These findings demonstrate that HS in the periocular mesenchyme plays a critical role in normal ocular morphogenesis, indicating reciprocal interactions between the periocular mesenchyme and the neural ectoderm...
- Detailed expression pattern of Foxp1 and its possible roles in neurons of the spinal cord during embryogenesisYoshihiro Morikawa
Department of Anatomy and Neurobiology, Wakayama Medical University, Wakayama, Japan
Dev Neurosci 31:511-22. 2009..These results suggest that Foxp1 may play some important roles in the determination of neuronal fates of the ventral spinal cord, possibly through the suppression of Lhx3 expression...
- Nuclear CDKs drive Smad transcriptional activation and turnover in BMP and TGF-beta pathwaysClaudio Alarcon
Cancer Biology and Genetics Program, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY 10021, USA
Cell 139:757-69. 2009..Thus, nuclear CDK8/9 drive a cycle of Smad utilization and disposal that is an integral part of canonical BMP and TGF-beta pathways...
- Prdm16 is required for normal palatogenesis in miceBryan C Bjork
Genetics Division, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, New Research Building, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Hum Mol Genet 19:774-89. 2010..PRDM16 should be considered a candidate for mutation in human clefting disorders, especially NSCP and PRS-like CP...
- Inactivation of Msx1 and Msx2 in neural crest reveals an unexpected role in suppressing heterotopic bone formation in the headPaul G Roybal
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Norris Cancer Hospital, University of Southern California Keck School of Medicine, 1441 Eastlake Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90089 9176, USA
Dev Biol 343:28-39. 2010..We suggest that the inactivation of this repressive activity may be one cause of Wormian bones, ectopic bones that are a feature of a variety of pathological conditions in which calvarial bone development is compromised...
- Receptor tyrosine kinase-like orphan receptor 2 (ROR2) and Indian hedgehog regulate digit outgrowth mediated by the phalanx-forming regionFlorian Witte
Development and Disease Group, Max Planck Institute for Molecular Genetics, 14195 Berlin, Germany
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:14211-6. 2010....
- Crossveinless-2 is required for the relocalization of Chordin protein within the vertebral field in mouse embryosLise Zakin
Howard Hughes Medical Institute and Department of Biological Chemistry, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1662, USA
Dev Biol 347:204-15. 2010..The results may have general implications for the formation of embryonic organ-forming morphogenetic fields...
- DCC is specifically required for the survival of retinal ganglion and displaced amacrine cells in the developing mouse retinaMing Shi
Department of Anatomy and Neurobiology, Tongji University School of Medicine, Shanghai, China
Dev Biol 348:87-96. 2010..Thus, our findings suggest that DCC is a key regulator for the survival of specific types of neurons during retinal development and that DCC-P3 domain is essential for this developing event...
- BMP signaling in the development of the mouse esophagus and forestomachPavel Rodriguez
Department of Cell Biology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Development 137:4171-6. 2010..Together, these findings suggest multiple roles for BMP signaling in the developing esophagus and forestomach...
- BMP signaling is necessary for patterning the sensory and nonsensory regions of the developing mammalian cochleaTakahiro Ohyama
Division of Cell Biology and Genetics, House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, California 90057, USA
J Neurosci 30:15044-51. 2010..Our results suggest BMP signaling is required for patterning sensory and nonsensory tissue in the mammalian cochlea...
- Bmp signaling regulates myocardial differentiation from cardiac progenitors through a MicroRNA-mediated mechanismJun Wang
Institute of Biosciences and Technology, Texas A and M System Health Science Center, Houston, 77030, USA
Dev Cell 19:903-12. 2010..Our findings indicate that Bmp signaling directly regulates a miRNA-mediated effector mechanism that downregulates cardiac progenitor genes and enhances myocardial differentiation...
- Synovial joint formation requires local Ext1 expression and heparan sulfate production in developing mouse embryo limbs and spineChristina Mundy
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, College of Medicine, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, PA 19107, USA
Dev Biol 351:70-81. 2011..The data indicate also that defects in joint formation reverberate on, and delay, overall long bone growth...
- Smad1 and its target gene Wif1 coordinate BMP and Wnt signaling activities to regulate fetal lung developmentBing Xu
Developmental Biology and Regenerative Medicine Program, Children s Hospital Los Angeles, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA 90027, USA
Development 138:925-35. 2011..To define the intracellular signaling mechanisms by which Bmp4 regulates lung development, BMP-specific Smad1 or Smad5 was selectively knocked out in fetal mouse lung epithelial cells...
- Direct visualization of Smad1/5/8-mediated transcriptional activity identifies podocytes and collecting ducts as major targets of BMP signalling in healthy and diseased kidneysJan Willem Leeuwis
Department of Pathology, University Medical Centre Utrecht, Utrecht, The Netherlands
J Pathol 224:121-32. 2011..Thus, native BMP transcriptional activity is much more restricted than previously suggested based on pSmad1/5/8 detection alone, and its response to injury varies according to cell type and nephron segment...
- Regulation of Key Processes in Oocyte BiologyMartin Matzuk; Fiscal Year: 2007..hormone, alpha-inhibin, activin receptor type II, superoxide dismutase 1, gamma-glutamyl transpeptidase, SMAD5, cyclin A1, and oxytocin. The utility of mouse models in investigating gene function in vivo is unparalleled...
- The function of Foxi3 in craniofacial developmentTakahiro Ohyama; Fiscal Year: 2008..This project has significant potential for the future study of craniofacial and sensory organ development that will shed a light on the genetic mechanisms of craniofacial birth defects. ..
- Redox Signaling in Osteoblast DifferentiationNandini Ghosh Choudhury; Fiscal Year: 2009..Understanding the signal transduction pathways of osteoblast differentiation may result in the development of therapeutic modalities for the human diseases where lack of bone formation is the pathology. ..
- Defining the Mammalian Intercellular Bridge InteractomeMartin M Matzuk; Fiscal Year: 2010..Our proposed Specific Aims will also help us to develop additional high throughput screening assays for the identification of small molecule disruptors of the intercellular bridge. ..
- SMAD MEDIATED SIGNALING DURING LUNG MORPHOGENESISWei Shi; Fiscal Year: 2002..The results of this project will provide new rationales for novel therapeutic strategies to modulate TGF-beta signaling during lung development, injury, repair, and disease. ..
- Identification of extrinsic signals in blood formationJan Christian; Fiscal Year: 2006..Understanding how normal blood development occurs is crucial to understanding and preventing disease resulting from misregulation of these pathways. ..
- Control of Hox gene expression and neuronal identityJeh Ping Liu; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- Analysis of BMP-4 activity in Cleavage mutant miceJan Christian; Fiscal Year: 2007..Understanding the molecular mechanisms by which BMP activity is regulated is key to understanding, treating and preventing congenital anomalies and diseases. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- THE ROLE OF p204 IN OSTEOGENESISChuanju Liu; Fiscal Year: 2007..A greater understanding of the process of how bone is generated can lead to new therapies which can help stem or reverse the course of these diseases. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- MOUSE MODELS TO STUDY GONADAL TUMOR DEVELOPMENTMartin M Matzuk; Fiscal Year: 2010..Characterization of these mice will lead to important insights into the development of gonadal cancers in men and women and the roles of several proteins in reproductive physiology. ..
- Physiological Role of ADAMTS-7B in ArthritisChuanju Liu; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..