Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Slc18a2
Description: solute carrier family 18 (vesicular monoamine), member 2
Alias: 1110037L13Rik, 9330105E13, Vmat2, synaptic vesicular amine transporter, VAT2, monoamine transporter, solute carrier family 18 member 2, vesicular amine transporter 2, vesicular monoamine transporter 2
- PACAP38 increases vesicular monoamine transporter 2 (VMAT2) expression and attenuates methamphetamine toxicityT S Guillot
Center for Neurodegenerative Disease, Emory University, Atlanta, GA, USA
Neuropeptides 42:423-34. 2008..PACAP38 treated animals exhibited a preferential increase in the expression and function of the vesicular monoamine transporter (VMAT2)...
- Pet-1 is required across different stages of life to regulate serotonergic functionChen Liu
Case Western Reserve University, School of Medicine, Department of Neurosciences, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Nat Neurosci 13:1190-8. 2010..These findings indicate that Pet-1 is required across the lifespan of the mouse and that behavioral pathogenesis can result from both developmental and adult-onset alterations in serotonergic transcription...
- Reduced vesicular storage of dopamine causes progressive nigrostriatal neurodegenerationW Michael Caudle
Center for Neurodegenerative Disease, Rollins School of Public Health, Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia 30322, USA
J Neurosci 27:8138-48. 2007The vesicular monoamine transporter 2 (VMAT2; SLC18A2) is responsible for packaging dopamine into vesicles for subsequent release and has been suggested to serve a neuroprotective role in the dopamine system...
- Pet-1 ETS gene plays a critical role in 5-HT neuron development and is required for normal anxiety-like and aggressive behaviorTimothy J Hendricks
Department of Neurosciences, School of Medicine, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
Neuron 37:233-47. 2003..These findings indicate that Pet-1 is a critical determinant of 5-HT neuron identity and implicate a Pet-1-dependent program in serotonergic modulation of behavior...
- Mice with very low expression of the vesicular monoamine transporter 2 gene survive into adulthood: potential mouse model for parkinsonismK A Mooslehner
The Babraham Institute, Neurobiology Programme, Babraham, Cambridge CB2 4AT, United Kingdom
Mol Cell Biol 21:5321-31. 2001We have created a transgenic mouse with a hypomorphic allele of the vesicular monoamine transporter 2 (Vmat2) gene by gene targeting. These mice (KA1) have profound changes in monoamine metabolism and function and survive into adulthood...
- Postnatal growth defects in mice with constitutive depletion of central serotoninNicolas Narboux-Nême
INSERM, UMR S 839, Institut du Fer a Moulin, 17, rue du Fer à Moulin, 75005 Paris, France
ACS Chem Neurosci 4:171-81. 2013..mouse strains with severe (-95%) depletions of 5-HT, the tryptophan hydroxylase (Tph) 2(-/-) mouse line and VMAT2(sert-cre) mice, with a new strain, in which VMAT2 deletion is driven by Pet1 (VMAT2(pet1-cre)) in 5-HT raphe ..
- Lmx1b, Pet-1, and Nkx2.2 coordinately specify serotonergic neurotransmitter phenotypeLeping Cheng
The Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
J Neurosci 23:9961-7. 2003..2, drives 5-HT differentiation in the dorsal spinal cord. Our studies therefore define a molecular pathway necessary and sufficient to specify the serotonergic neurotransmitter phenotype...
- Engrailed 1 shapes the dopaminergic and serotonergic landscape through proper isthmic organizer maintenance and functionWillemieke M Kouwenhoven
Swammerdam Institute for Life Sciences, University of Amsterdam, P O Box 94215, 1090 GE Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Biol Open 5:279-88. 2016..Our work suggests a newly-discovered role for En1: the repression of Otx2, Wnt1 and canonical Wnt-signaling in R1. Overall, our results suggest that En1 is essential for proper IsO maintenance and function. ..
- Primary cilia are critical for Sonic hedgehog-mediated dopaminergic neurogenesis in the embryonic midbrainMary Gazea
Institute of Reconstructive Neurobiology, University of Bonn, 53127 Bonn, Germany
Dev Biol 409:55-71. 2016....
- Differential patterning of genes involved in serotonin metabolism and transport in extra-embryonic tissues of the mouseHsiao Huei Wu
Department of Pediatrics, Children s Hospital Los Angeles, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Placenta 42:74-83. 2016..As an initial step in determining the mechanisms involved, we investigated the expression patterns of genes critical for 5-HT system function in mouse extraembryonic tissues...
- Expression of Cux-1 and Cux-2 in the developing somatosensory cortex of normal and barrel-defective miceArnaud Ferrere
INSERM U616, Hopital de la Pitie Salpetriere, Paris, France
Anat Rec A Discov Mol Cell Evol Biol 288:158-65. 2006..We examined Cux-1 and Cux-2 in barrel-defective mouse strains, the VMAT2 KO, the MAOA KO, and the Adcyl 1(brl) strain...
- P2X(3) receptor expression at early stage of mouse embryogenesisZsolt Boldogkoi
Laboratory of Molecular Neurobiology, Department of Psychiatry, Faculty of Medicine, University of Bonn, Bonn, Germany
Mech Dev 118:255-60. 2002....
- Exclusive expression of VMAT2 in noradrenergic neurons increases viability of homozygous VMAT2 knockout miceArihisa Ohara
Department of Biological Psychiatry, Tohoku University Graduate School of Medicine, Sendai, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 432:526-32. 2013The vesicular monoamine transporter 2 (VMAT2) translocates monoamine neurotransmitters from the neuronal cytoplasm into synaptic vesicles...
- GDNF Overexpression from the Native Locus Reveals its Role in the Nigrostriatal Dopaminergic System FunctionAnmol Kumar
Institute of Biotechnology, University of Helsinki, Helsinki, Finland
PLoS Genet 11:e1005710. 2015..Furthermore, our results suggest that 3'UTR targeting may constitute a useful tool in analyzing gene function. ..
- Resilience to chronic stress is mediated by noradrenergic regulation of dopamine neuronsElsa Isingrini
Department of Psychiatry, Douglas Mental Health Research Center, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Nat Neurosci 19:560-3. 2016..Here we demonstrate that NE neurons regulate vulnerability to social defeat through inhibitory control of VTA DA neurons. ..
- Increased vesicular monoamine transporter enhances dopamine release and opposes Parkinson disease-related neurodegeneration in vivoKelly M Lohr
Department of Environmental Health, Rollins School of Public Health
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 111:9977-82. 2014..enhanced vesicular function via bacterial artificial chromosome (BAC)-mediated overexpression of the vesicular monoamine transporter 2 (VMAT2; Slc18a2)...
- Determinants of buildup of the toxic dopamine metabolite DOPAL in Parkinson's diseaseDavid S Goldstein
Clinical Neurocardiology Section, Clinical Neurosciences Program, Division of Intramural Research, National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 1620, USA
J Neurochem 126:591-603. 2013..of putamen tissue catechols to examine contributions of altered activities of the type 2 vesicular monoamine transporter (VMAT2) and aldehyde dehydrogenase(ALDH) to the increased DOPAL levels found in PD...
- Distinct modes of dopamine and GABA release in a dual transmitter neuronMaria Borisovska
Vollum Institute, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, Oregon 97239, USA
J Neurosci 33:1790-6. 2013..TH(+) cells expressed both VMAT2 (vesicular monoamine transporter 2) and VGAT (vesicular GABA transporter), consistent with vesicular storage of both dopamine and GABA...
- The transcription factor Hmx1 and growth factor receptor activities control sympathetic neurons diversificationAlessandro Furlan
Division of Molecular Neurobiology, Department of Medical Biochemistry and Biophysics, Karolinska Institutet, 17177 Stockholm, Sweden
EMBO J 32:1613-25. 2013....
- Rho GTPase regulation of α-synuclein and VMAT2: implications for pathogenesis of Parkinson's diseaseZhigang Zhou
Department of Neurology, University of Michigan and VA Ann Arbor Healthcare System, 5031 BSRB, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
Mol Cell Neurosci 48:29-37. 2011..Rho inhibition-induced neurite extension was associated with increased VMAT2 and SNARE proteins synaptophysin and synapsin I...
- Severe serotonin depletion after conditional deletion of the vesicular monoamine transporter 2 gene in serotonin neurons: neural and behavioral consequencesNicolas Narboux-Nême
INSERM, UMR S 839, Institut du Fer a Moulin, Paris, France
Neuropsychopharmacology 36:2538-50. 2011The vesicular monoamine transporter type 2 gene (VMAT2) has a crucial role in the storage and synaptic release of all monoamines, including serotonin (5-HT)...
- Twist1 controls a cell-specification switch governing cell fate decisions within the cardiac neural crestJoshua W Vincentz
Riley Heart Research Center, Herman B Wells Center for Pediatric Research, Division of Pediatrics Cardiology, Departments of Anatomy, Indiana University Medical School, Indianapolis, Indiana, United States of America
PLoS Genet 9:e1003405. 2013..These data demonstrate that Twist1 functions in post-migratory neural crest cells to repress pro-neural factors and thereby regulate cell fate determination between ectodermal and mesodermal lineages...
- Retinoic acid-dependent and -independent gene-regulatory pathways of Pitx3 in meso-diencephalic dopaminergic neuronsFrank M J Jacobs
Rudolf Magnus Institute, Department of Neuroscience and Pharmacology, UMC Utrecht, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Development 138:5213-22. 2011..show that regulation of Ahd2-mediated RA signaling represents only one aspect of the Pitx3 downstream cascade, as Vmat2, Dat, Ahd2 (Aldh1a1), En1, En2 and Cck were unaffected by RA treatment and are (subset) specifically modulated by ..
- Anti-parkinsonian effects of Nurr1 activator in ubiquitin-proteasome system impairment induced animal model of Parkinson's diseaseZhen Zhang
Department of Neurosurgery, Provincial Hospital affiliated to Shandong University, Jinan 250021, China
CNS Neurol Disord Drug Targets 11:768-73. 2012..loss and nigrostriatal dopamine reduction, increased expression of Nurr1, dopamine transporter and vesicular monoamine transporter 2, and alleviated microglial activation in the substantia nigra of lactacystin-lesioned mice...
- Fibroblast growth factor 2 regulates dopaminergic neuron development in vivoAndreas Ratzka
Institute of Neuroanatomy, Hannover Medical School, Hannover, Germany
J Neurochem 122:94-105. 2012..Increased levels of nuclear FgfR1 in E14.5 FGF-2-deficient mice suggest alterations of integrative nuclear FgfR1 signaling (INFS). In summary, FGF-2 restricts SNpc DA neurogenesis in vivo during late stages of embryonic development...
- 25-Hydroxyvitamin D depletion does not exacerbate MPTP-induced dopamine neuron damage in miceE Danielle Dean
Department of Environmental Health, Rollins School of Public Health, Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
PLoS ONE 7:e39227. 2012..Our data suggest that reducing 25(OH)D serum levels in mice has no effect on the vulnerability of nigral dopaminergic neurons in vivo in this model system of parkinsonism...
- Developmental cell death is enhanced in the cerebral cortex of mice lacking the brain vesicular monoamine transporterLea Stankovski
Institut National de la Sante et de la Recherche Medicale, Unité 616, Institut Fédératif de Recherche Neurosciences, Hopital de la Pitie Salpetriere, 75651 Paris, France
J Neurosci 27:1315-24. 2007..We report that genetic depletion of serotonin, dopamine, and norepinephrine in mice lacking the vesicular monoamine transporter (VMAT2 KO mice) causes an increase in cell death in the superficial layers of the cingulate and ..
- Genetic deletion of vesicular monoamine transporter-2 (VMAT2) reduces dopamine transporter activity in mesencephalic neurons in primary cultureHideko Yamamoto
Division of Psychobiol, Tokyo Institute of Psychiatry, 2 1 8 Kamikitazawa, Setagaya Ku, Tokyo 156 8585, Japan
Neurochem Int 51:237-44. 2007Our aim was to investigate whether a defect in vesicular monoamine transporter-2 (VMAT2) activities would affect dopaminergic cell functions or not...
- Vmat2 heterozygous mutant mice display a depressive-like phenotypeMasato Fukui
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Mouse Behavioral and Neuroendocrine Analysis Core Facility, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
J Neurosci 27:10520-9. 2007The vesicular monoamine transporter 2 (VMAT2) is localized primarily within the CNS and is responsible for transporting monoamines from the cytoplasm into secretory vesicles...
- Control of gastric acid secretion in somatostatin receptor 2 deficient mice: shift from endocrine/paracrine to neurocrine pathwaysChun Mei Zhao
Department of Cancer Research and Molecular Medicine, Norwegian University of Science and Technology, NO 7006, Trondheim, Norway
Endocrinology 149:498-505. 2008..We suggest that there is a remodeling of the neuroendocrine mechanisms that regulate acid secretion in these mutant mice...
- Pancreatic innervation in mouse development and beta-cell regenerationR E Burris
University of California, San Francisco, Diabetes Center, San Francisco, CA 94143 0540, USA
Neuroscience 150:592-602. 2007....
- A metabolomic study of brain tissues from aged mice with low expression of the vesicular monoamine transporter 2 (VMAT2) geneReza M Salek
Department of Biochemistry, University of Cambridge, Hopkins Building, Building O, Downing Site, Tennis Court Road, Cambridge CB2 1QW, UK
Neurochem Res 33:292-300. 2008The vesicular monoamine transporter 2 (VMAT2) sequesters monoamines into synaptic vesicles in preparation for neurotransmission...
- Differences in reserpine-induced striatal dopamine output and content between female and male mice: implications for sex differences in vesicular monoamine transporter 2 functionD E Dluzen
Department of Anatomy, Northeastern Ohio Universities College of Medicine, Rootstown, OH 44272 0095, USA
Neuroscience 154:1488-96. 2008..tissue of female and male mice were performed as a means to assess possible sex differences in vesicular monoamine transporter 2 (VMAT2) function...
- Reduced vesicular storage of dopamine exacerbates methamphetamine-induced neurodegeneration and astrogliosisThomas S Guillot
Center for Neurodegenerative Disease, Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
J Neurochem 106:2205-17. 2008The vesicular monoamine transporter 2 (VMAT2) controls the loading of dopamine (DA) into vesicles and therefore determines synaptic properties such as quantal size, receptor sensitivity, and vesicular and cytosolic DA concentration...
- Lmx1b-controlled isthmic organizer is essential for development of midbrain dopaminergic neuronsChao Guo
Institute of Neuroscience, Key Laboratory of Neurobiology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Shanghai 200031, China
J Neurosci 28:14097-106. 2008..Thus, our results indicate that the inductive activity of IsO is essential, but Lmx1b expression in mDA neurons is dispensable for their differentiation and maintenance...
- Pitx3 potentiates Nurr1 in dopamine neuron terminal differentiation through release of SMRT-mediated repressionFrank M J Jacobs
Department of Neuroscience and Pharmacology, University Medical Center Utrecht, Universiteitsweg 100, 3584 CG, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Development 136:531-40. 2009....
- Physical and functional interaction between the dopamine transporter and the synaptic vesicle protein synaptogyrin-3Loreto A Egaña
Department of Neurobiology, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, 3501 Fifth Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15261, USA
J Neurosci 29:4592-604. 2009..Instead, the synaptogyrin-3 effect on DAT activity was abolished in the presence of the vesicular monoamine transporter-2 (VMAT2) inhibitor reserpine, suggesting a dependence on the vesicular DA storage system...
- Identification of Dlk1, Ptpru and Klhl1 as novel Nurr1 target genes in meso-diencephalic dopamine neuronsFrank M J Jacobs
Rudolf Magnus Institute of Neuroscience, Department of Neuroscience and Pharmacology, University Medical Center Utrecht, Universiteitsweg 100, 3584 CG, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Development 136:2363-73. 2009....
- Nonmotor symptoms of Parkinson's disease revealed in an animal model with reduced monoamine storage capacityTonya N Taylor
Center for Neurodegenerative Disease and Department of Environmental and Occupational Health, Rollins School of Public Health, Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia 30322, USA
J Neurosci 29:8103-13. 2009..Previously, we have shown that mice with a 95% genetic reduction in vesicular monoamine transporter expression (VMAT2-deficient, VMAT2 LO) display progressive loss of striatal dopamine, L-DOPA-responsive ..
- Genetic alteration in the dopamine transporter differentially affects male and female nigrostriatal transporter systemsJing Ji
Department of Anatomy, Northeastern Ohio Universities College of Medicine, Rootstown, OH 44272, USA
Biochem Pharmacol 78:1401-11. 2009..The effects of this DAT perturbation upon vesicular monoamine transporter-2 (VMAT-2) function revealed significantly greater reserpine-evoked DA output from +/+ and +/- DAT female ..
- Vesicular monoamine transporter 2 and dopamine transporter are molecular targets of Pitx3 in the ventral midbrain dopamine neuronsDong Youn Hwang
Molecular Neurobiology Laboratory, McLean Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Belmont, MA, USA
J Neurochem 111:1202-12. 2009..expression analysis revealed many potential target genes of Pitx3; in particular, the expression of vesicular monoamine transporter 2 and dopamine transporter, responsible for dopamine storage and reuptake, respectively, is greatly ..
- Nurr1 is required for maintenance of maturing and adult midbrain dopamine neuronsBanafsheh Kadkhodaei
Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research, Stockholm Branch, SE 171 77 Stockholm, Sweden
J Neurosci 29:15923-32. 2009....
- Expression of dopamine pathway genes in the midbrain is independent of known ETS transcription factor activityShirong Wang
Center for Integrative Brain Research, Seattle Children s Research Institute, Seattle, Washington 98101, USA
J Neurosci 30:9224-7. 2010..These findings suggest that the ETS factors, while required for the generation of the DA phenotype in nematodes, do not play such a role in the mouse midbrain...
- Immunohistochemical study of vesicle monoamine transporter 2 in the hippocampal region of genetic animal model of schizophreniaShuji Iritani
Department of Psychiatry, Graduate School of Medicine, Nagoya University, 65 Tsurumai, Showa Ku, Nagoya, Aichi 466 8550, Japan
Synapse 64:948-53. 2010..We investigated the expression of vesicle monoamine transporter 2 (VMAT2), which has a significant role in neurotransmission, in the hippocampal formation of the animal ..
- Increased methamphetamine neurotoxicity in heterozygous vesicular monoamine transporter 2 knock-out miceF Fumagalli
Howard Hughes Medical Institute Laboratories, Departments of Cell Biology and Medicine, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
J Neurosci 19:2424-31. 1999..In this study, we used mice heterozygous for vesicular monoamine transporter 2 (VMAT2 +/- mice) to determine whether impaired vesicular function alters the effects of METH...
- L-DOPA does not cause neurotoxicity in VMAT2 heterozygote knockout miceMaria E Reveron
Neurotoxicology 23:611-9. 2002..Sequestration of DA and dopaminergic neurotoxins into vesicles by the vesicular monoamine transporter 2 (VMAT2) is a key factor in preventing cellular damage...
- Developmental expression of monoamine oxidases A and B in the central and peripheral nervous systems of the mouseTania Vitalis
Department of Biomedical Sciences, Edinburgh EH8 9XD, Scotland, United Kingdom
J Comp Neurol 442:331-47. 2002..These localizations are of importance for understanding the effects of monoaminergic transmission during development...
- Barrel pattern formation requires serotonin uptake by thalamocortical afferents, and not vesicular monoamine releaseA M Persico
Laboratory of Neuroscience, Università Campus Bio Medico, 00155 Rome, Italy
J Neurosci 21:6862-73. 2001..in synaptic vesicles by expressing the plasma membrane serotonin transporter (5-HTT) and the vesicular monoamine transporter (VMAT2)...
- The VMAT2 gene in mice and humans: amphetamine responses, locomotion, cardiac arrhythmias, aging, and vulnerability to dopaminergic toxinsG R Uhl
Molecular Neurobiology Branch, NIDA IRP, National Institutes of Health, Baltimore, Maryland 21224, USA
FASEB J 14:2459-65. 2000..gene and alteration in its expression levels in transgenic mice, and identify sequence polymorphisms in the human VMAT2 gene...
- A role for Pax6 in the normal development of dorsal thalamus and its cortical connectionsT Pratt
Department of Biomedical Sciences, University of Edinburgh, Hugh Robson Building, George Square, Edinburgh EH8 9XD, UK
Development 127:5167-78. 2000..Our results suggest that normal thalamocortical development requires the actions of Pax6 within the dorsal thalamus itself...
- Differential quantal release of histamine and 5-hydroxytryptamine from mast cells of vesicular monoamine transporter 2 knockout miceE R Travis
Department of Chemistry, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC 27599, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 97:162-7. 2000The recent availability of mice lacking the neuronal form of the vesicular monoamine transporter 2 (VMAT2) affords the opportunity to study its roles in storage and release...
- Heterozygous VMAT2 knockout mice display prolonged QT intervals: possible contributions to sudden deathK Itokawa
Molecular Neurobiology Branch, National Institute on Drug Abuse, Intramural Research Program, Baltimore, MD, USA
Brain Res Mol Brain Res 71:354-7. 1999Heterozygous knockout (KO) mice with half of wild-type levels of expression of the vesicular monoamine transporter (VMAT2) can suddenly die in midlife...
- Excess of serotonin (5-HT) alters the segregation of ispilateral and contralateral retinal projections in monoamine oxidase A knock-out mice: possible role of 5-HT uptake in retinal ganglion cells during developmentA L Upton
Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale U106, Hopital de la Salpetriere, 75651 Paris Cedex 13, France
J Neurosci 19:7007-24. 1999..We show that, in addition to SERT, developing RGCs also transiently express the vesicular monoamine transporter gene VMAT2: thus, retinal axons could store 5-HT in synaptic vesicles and possibly use it as a borrowed ..
- Analysis of mice carrying targeted mutations of the glucocorticoid receptor gene argues against an essential role of glucocorticoid signalling for generating adrenal chromaffin cellsS Finotto
Neuroanatomy, University of Heidelberg, D 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
Development 126:2935-44. 1999..These data strongly suggest that the dogma of an essential role of glucocorticoid signalling for the development of chromaffin cells must be abandoned...
- Effects of genetic depletion of monoamines on somatosensory cortical developmentC Alvarez
INSERM U106, IFR des Neurosciences, Bâtiment de Pédiatrie, Hopital de la Pitie Salpetriere, 47 Boulevard de l Hopital, 75651 Paris Cedex 13, France
Neuroscience 115:753-64. 2002..Mice lacking the vesicular monoamine transporter type 2 (VMAT2 KO) are hypomorphic with rare pups surviving until postnatal day (P) 6...
- Cloning of the mouse organic cation transporter 2 gene, Slc22a2, from an enhancer-trap transgene integration locusK A Mooslehner
Laboratory of Cognitive and Developmental Neurobiology, The Babraham Institute, Babraham, Cambridge, CB2 4AT, UK
Mamm Genome 10:218-24. 1999..The genomic DNA flanking the 3' transgene integration site in the enhancer-trap mutation TKZ736 encodes the second exon of the Oct2/Slc22a2 gene...
- Transient developmental expression of monoamine transporters in the rodent forebrainC Lebrand
INSERM U106, Hopital de la Salpetriere, Paris, France
J Comp Neurol 401:506-24. 1998..thalamic nuclei have been shown to express functional plasma membrane serotonin (SERT) and vesicular monoamine (VMAT2) transporters during early postnatal development...
- Increased MPTP neurotoxicity in vesicular monoamine transporter 2 heterozygote knockout miceR R Gainetdinov
Howard Hughes Medical Institute Laboratories, Department of Cell Biology and Medicine, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
J Neurochem 70:1973-8. 1998..MPTP) has been proposed to be attenuated by sequestration into intracellular vesicles by the vesicular monoamine transporter (VMAT2)...
- Assignment of Gpam to distal mouse chromosome 19 by linkage analysisC L Welch
Department of Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles 90095, USA
Mamm Genome 9:93. 1998
- Knockout of the vesicular monoamine transporter 2 gene results in neonatal death and supersensitivity to cocaine and amphetamineY M Wang
Howard Hughes Medical Institute Laboratories, Department of Cell Biology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
Neuron 19:1285-96. 1997..We have used homologous recombination to generate mutant mice lacking the vesicular monoamine transporter 2 (VMAT2), the predominant form expressed in the brain...
- Vesicular transport regulates monoamine storage and release but is not essential for amphetamine actionE A Fon
Department of Neurology, UCSF School of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco 94143, USA
Neuron 19:1271-83. 1997To assess the role of exocytotic release in signaling by monoamines, we have disrupted the neuronal vesicular monoamine transporter 2 (VMAT2) gene. VMAT2-/- mice move little, feed poorly, and die within a few days after birth...
- Murine vesicular monoamine transporter 2: molecular cloning and genomic structureN Takahashi
Molecular Neurobiology Branch, Intramural Research Program, National Institute on Drug Abuse, NIH, Baltimore, MD 21224, USA
Brain Res Mol Brain Res 49:7-14. 1997The principal brain vesicular monoamine transporter (VMAT2) pumps monoamines including dopamine, norepinephrine, serotonin and histamine from neuronal cytoplasm into synaptic vesicles and is implicated in actions of certain ..
- Development of nicotinic receptor clusters and innervation accompanying the change in muscle phenotype in the mouse esophagusQ Sang
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, University of Melbourne, Parkville, Vic, Australia
J Comp Neurol 386:119-36. 1997..However, many of the receptor clusters that were observed first were apparently uninnervated...
- VMAT2 knockout mice: heterozygotes display reduced amphetamine-conditioned reward, enhanced amphetamine locomotion, and enhanced MPTP toxicityN Takahashi
Molecular Neurobiology Branch, Intramural Research Program, National Institute on Drug Abuse, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 94:9938-43. 1997The brain vesicular monoamine transporter (VMAT2) pumps monoamine neurotransmitters and Parkinsonism-inducing dopamine neurotoxins such as 1-methyl-4-phenyl-phenypyridinium (MPP+) from neuronal cytoplasm into synaptic vesicles, from ..
- Early developmental failure of substantia nigra dopamine neurons in mice lacking the homeodomain gene Pitx3Marten P Smidt
Rudolf Magnus Institute of Neuroscience, Department of Pharmacology and Anatomy, University Medical Center, Universiteitsweg 100, 3584 CG Utrecht, The Netherlands
Development 131:1145-55. 2004..However, an overall lower activity was observed. The results suggest that Pitx3 is specifically required for the formation of the SNc subfield at the onset of dopaminergic neuron differentiation...
- Altered ethanol-associated behaviors in vesicular monoamine transporter heterozygote knockout miceKaterina V Savelieva
Division of Pharmacology and Toxicology, College of Pharmacy, University of Texas, Waggoner Center for Alcohol and Addiction Research, Austin, Texas 78712, USA
Alcohol 40:87-94. 2006The purpose of this study was to examine the effects of the genetic reduction of vesicular monoamine transporter 2 (VMAT2) on voluntary ethanol consumption and conditioned place preference (CPP) using VMAT2 heterozygote knockout mice [..
- Assignment of the mouse vesicular monoamine transporter genes, Slc18a1 and Slc18a2, to chromosomes 8 and 19 by linkage analysisA Roghani
Department of Neurology, University of California, Los Angeles, California 90095, USA
Mamm Genome 7:393-4. 1996
- Expression and localization of Parkinson's disease-associated leucine-rich repeat kinase 2 in the mouse brainShinji Higashi
Laboratory of Molecular Neuroscience, The Babraham Institute, Babraham, Cambridge, UK
J Neurochem 100:368-81. 2007..Furthermore, expression of LRRK2 mRNA in the striatum of VMAT2-deficient mice is unaltered relative to wild-type littermate controls despite extensive dopamine depletion in this ..
- Age-related decline in striatal dopamine content and motor performance occurs in the absence of nigral cell loss in a genetic mouse model of Parkinson's diseaseRebecca E Colebrooke
Laboratory of Molecular Neuroscience, The Babraham Institute, Cambridge, CB2 4AT, UK
Eur J Neurosci 24:2622-30. 2006..However, the long-term toxicity of dopamine in vivo has not previously been established. The vesicular monoamine transporter 2 (VMAT2) sequesters monoamines into synaptic vesicles, a process that, in addition to being important ..
- Pharmacogenomic evaluation of the antidepressant citalopram in the mouse tail suspension testJames J Crowley
Department of Pharmacology, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Neuropsychopharmacology 31:2433-42. 2006..Three candidate genes residing in this locus include those for vesicular monoamine transporter 2 (VMAT2, slc18a2), alpha 2A adrenergic receptor (adra2a), and beta 1 adrenergic receptor (adrb1)...
- Development of the mesencephalic dopaminergic neuron system is compromised in the absence of neurogenin 2E Andersson
Wallenberg Neuroscience Center, Department of Experimental Medical Science, Lund University, BMC A11, Sweden
Development 133:507-16. 2006....
- CAPS1 regulates catecholamine loading of large dense-core vesiclesDina Speidel
Max Planck Institut fur experimentelle Medizin, Abteilung Molekulare Neurobiologie, D 37075 Gottingen, Germany
Neuron 46:75-88. 2005..We conclude that CAPS1 is required for an essential step in the uptake or storage of catecholamines in LDCVs...
- Normal biogenesis and cycling of empty synaptic vesicles in dopamine neurons of vesicular monoamine transporter 2 knockout miceBenjamin G Croft
Centre for Neuronal Survival and Department of Neurology and Neurosurgery, Montreal Neurological Institute, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec H3A 2B4, Canada
Mol Biol Cell 16:306-15. 2005The neuronal isoform of vesicular monoamine transporter, VMAT2, is responsible for packaging dopamine and other monoamines into synaptic vesicles and thereby plays an essential role in dopamine neurotransmission...
- Identification of PSD-95 as a regulator of dopamine-mediated synaptic and behavioral plasticityWei Dong Yao
Howard Hughes Medical Institute Laboratories, Department of Cell Biology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Neuron 41:625-38. 2004..Our findings uncover a previously unappreciated role of PSD-95 in psychostimulant action and identify a molecular and cellular mechanism shared between drug-related plasticity and learning...
- Retinoic acid counteracts developmental defects in the substantia nigra caused by Pitx3 deficiencyFrank M J Jacobs
Rudolf Magnus Institute of Neuroscience, Department of Pharmacology and Anatomy, University Medical Center Utrecht, Universiteitsweg 100, 3584 CG Utrecht, The Netherlands
Development 134:2673-84. 2007..Here, we propose a novel mechanism in which RA is involved in mdDA neuronal development and maintenance, providing new insights into subset-specific vulnerability in PD...
- Involvement of Nurr1 in specifying the neurotransmitter identity of ventral midbrain dopaminergic neuronsSimone M Smits
Rudolf Magnus Institute of Neuroscience, Department of Pharmacology and Anatomy, University Medical Center Utrecht, Universiteitsweg 100, 3584 CG Utrecht, The Netherlands
Eur J Neurosci 18:1731-8. 2003..Neonatal Nurr1 knockout mice lack expression of the dopamine transporter (DAT), the vesicular monoamine transporter 2 (VMAT2) and l-aromatic amino acid decarboxylase (AADC) in addition to TH specifically in mesDA ..
- Hprt(CAG)146 mice: age of onset of behavioral abnormalities, time course of neuronal intranuclear inclusion accumulation, neurotransmitter marker alterations, mitochondrial function markers, and susceptibility to 1-methyl-4-phenyl-1,2,3,6-tetrahydropyridiSara J Tallaksen-Greene
Department of Neurology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109 0585, USA
J Comp Neurol 465:205-19. 2003..acid (GABA)/benzodiazepine receptors, dopamine D1-like and D2-like receptors, and type 2 vesicular monoamine transporter (VMAT2) binding sites were assayed before and after the onset of behavioral abnormalities...
- Nurr1 regulates dopamine synthesis and storage in MN9D dopamine cellsElisabet Hermanson
Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research, Stockholm Branch, P O Box 240, S 171 77 Stockholm, Sweden
Exp Cell Res 288:324-34. 2003..increases DA content and the expression of aromatic L-amino acid decarboxylase (AADC) and vesicular monoamine transporter-2 (VMAT2) in MN9D cells...
- Developmental expression pattern of monoamine oxidases in sensory organs and neural crest derivativesTania Vitalis
Department of Anatomy and Developmental Biology, University College London, WC1E6BT London, United Kingdom
J Comp Neurol 464:392-403. 2003....
- Presynaptic control of striatal dopamine neurotransmission in adult vesicular monoamine transporter 2 (VMAT2) mutant miceJyoti Patel
Department of Neuroscience, Barts and The London, Queen Mary s School of Medicine and Dentistry, Queen Mary, University of London, Mile End Road, London E1 4NS, UK
J Neurochem 85:898-910. 2003The vesicular monoamine transporter 2 (VMAT2) plays a pivotal role in regulating the size of vesicular and cytosolic dopamine (DA) storage pools within the CNS, and can thus influence extracellular DA neurotransmission...
- Sex-dependent modulation of ethanol consumption in vesicular monoamine transporter 2 (VMAT2) and dopamine transporter (DAT) knockout miceF Scott Hall
Molecular Neurobiology Branch, NIDA IRP, NIH, DHHS, Baltimore, MD, USA
Neuropsychopharmacology 28:620-8. 2003..and plasma membrane monoamine transporters important for monoaminergic functions, including the vesicular monoamine transporter (VMAT2, SLC18A2) and dopamine transporter (DAT, SLC6A3)...
- Increased expression of VMAT2 in dopaminergic neurons during nicotine withdrawalAnne Marie Duchemin
Department of Psychiatry, Division of Molecular Neuropsychopharmacology, The Ohio Sate University College of Medicine, Columbus, OH 43210, United States
Neurosci Lett 467:182-6. 2009Evidence suggests that the vesicular monoamine transporter-2 (VMAT2) is regulated in striatum and dopamine (DA) may play a role in its regulation...
- The vesicular monoamine content regulates VMAT2 activity through Galphaq in mouse platelets. Evidence for autoregulation of vesicular transmitter uptakeMarkus Höltje
Institut für Anatomie der Charité, Humboldt Universitat zu Berlin, Philippstrasse 12, 10115 Berlin, Germany
J Biol Chem 278:15850-8. 2003..down-regulates the activity of the vesicular monoamine transmitter transporters VMAT1 in neuroendocrine cells and VMAT2 in neurons. Blood platelets resemble serotonergic neurons with respect to transmitter storage and release...
- Molecular mechanisms of spinal dorsal horn developmentZHOUFENG CHEN; Fiscal Year: 2006..As defects in dorsal horn development could have a severe consequence on pain sensation, our work will ultimately lead to a better understanding of pain circuits and thus treatment of pain, a major clinical problem in human health. ..
- Transcriptional Mechanisms of Trigeminal DevelopmentZHOUFENG CHEN; Fiscal Year: 2008..Control groups consist of wild-type embryos subjected to identical electroporation parameters, as well as Drg11+ embryos receiving control plasmid injections and identical Drg11 electroporation parameters. ..