Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Rps6
Description: ribosomal protein S6
Alias: S6R, 40S ribosomal protein S6, phosphoprotein NP33
- Photic regulation of the mTOR signaling pathway in the suprachiasmatic circadian clockRuifeng Cao
Department of Neuroscience, Ohio State University, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
Mol Cell Neurosci 38:312-24. 2008..Together these data identify a light-responsive mTOR cascade in the SCN, and thus, raise the possibility that inducible translation contributes to the clock entrainment process...
- Role for PADI6 and the cytoplasmic lattices in ribosomal storage in oocytes and translational control in the early mouse embryoPiraye Yurttas
Department of Genetic Medicine, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, 1300 York Avenue, New York, NY 10021, USA
Development 135:2627-36. 2008..These results suggest that, in mammals, ribosomal components are stored in the oocyte CPLs and are required for protein translation during early development...
- Ribosomal protein S6 phosphorylation is a determinant of cell size and glucose homeostasisIgor Ruvinsky
Department of Biochemistry, The Hebrew University Hadassah Medical School, Jerusalem 91120, Israel
Genes Dev 19:2199-211. 2005..To directly address this issue, we have established viable and fertile knock-in mice, whose rpS6 contains alanine substitutions at all five phosphorylatable serine residues (rpS6(P-/-))...
- Establishing Rps6 hemizygous mice as a model for studying how ribosomal protein haploinsufficiency impairs erythropoiesisSiobán B Keel
Department of Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195 7710, USA
Exp Hematol 40:290-4. 2012..The mice have an erythroid phenotype similar to both Diamond-Blackfan anemia and the 5q- syndrome and lenalidomide therapy improves their anemia...
- Targeting of the tumor suppressor GRHL3 by a miR-21-dependent proto-oncogenic network results in PTEN loss and tumorigenesisCharbel Darido
Department of Medicine, Monash University Central Clinical School, Prahran, Victoria 3181, Australia
Cancer Cell 20:635-48. 2011..Our data define the GRHL3-PTEN axis as a critical tumor suppressor pathway in SCC...
- The E3 ubiquitin ligase protein associated with Myc (Pam) regulates mammalian/mechanistic target of rapamycin complex 1 (mTORC1) signaling in vivo through N- and C-terminal domainsSangyeul Han
Center for Human Genetic Research, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA 02114, USA
J Biol Chem 287:30063-72. 2012..The ubiquitin ligase complex containing Pam-Fbxo45 likely targets additional synaptic and axonal proteins, which may explain the overlapping neurodevelopmental defects observed in Phr1 and Fbxo45 deficiency...
- MAPK, phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase, and mammalian target of rapamycin pathways converge at the level of ribosomal protein S6 phosphorylation to control metabolic signaling in CD8 T cellsRobert J Salmond
Institute of Immunology and Infection Research, University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh EH9 3JT, United Kingdom
J Immunol 183:7388-97. 2009Ribosomal protein S6 (rpS6) is a key component of the translational machinery in eukaryotic cells and is essential for ribosome biogenesis...
- The mTOR inhibitor rapamycin has limited acute anticonvulsant effects in miceAdam L Hartman
Department of Neurology, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America
PLoS ONE 7:e45156. 2012..To gain insights into how rapamycin suppresses seizures, we investigated the anticonvulsant activity of rapamycin using acute seizure tests in mice...
- Mammalian target of rapamycin signaling is a key regulator of the transit-amplifying progenitor pool in the adult and aging forebrainGrigorios N Paliouras
Department of Pathology and Cell Biology, Groupe de recherche sur le système nerveux central and Center of Excellence in Neuroscience of the Université de Montréal, Universite de Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada, H3T 1J4
J Neurosci 32:15012-26. 2012..These findings establish fundamental links between mTOR signaling, proliferation, and aging-associated quiescence in the adult forebrain NSC niche...
- In vivo evidence for the crucial role of SF1 in steroid-producing cells of the testis, ovary and adrenal glandF William Buaas
Division of Cancer Biology, Institute of Cancer Research, 237 Fulham Road, London SW3 6JB, UK
Development 139:4561-70. 2012..This study is the first to show the in vivo requirements of SF1 in steroidogenesis and provides novel data on the cellular consequences of the loss of this protein specifically within steroid-producing cells...
- Phosphorylation of nuclear and cytoplasmic pools of ribosomal protein S6 during cell cycle progressionMargit Rosner
Institute of Medical Genetics, Medical University of Vienna, Währinger Strasse 10, 1090, Vienna, Austria
Amino Acids 44:1233-40. 2013Of all known ribosomal proteins, the 40S ribosomal protein S6 is by far the most extensively studied. Still, little is known about some basic aspects of S6 regulation including its cell cycle-related expression and localization...
- Phosphorylation of ribosomal protein S6 attenuates DNA damage and tumor suppression during development of pancreatic cancerAbed Khalaileh
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, The Institute for Medical Research Israel Canada, The Hebrew University Hadassah Medical School, Jerusalem, Israel
Cancer Res 73:1811-20. 2013..Here, we focus on ribosomal protein S6 (rpS6), an mTOR effector not implicated previously in cancer...
- Atad3 function is essential for early post-implantation development in the mouseTobias Goller
LIMES Institute, Program Unit Molecular Cell and Immune Biology, University of Bonn, Bonn, Germany
PLoS ONE 8:e54799. 2013..At the biochemical level, we report here that ATAD3 is present in five native mitochondrial protein complexes of different sizes, indicating complex roles of the protein in mitochondrial architecture and function...
- Inactivation of mTORC1 in the developing brain causes microcephaly and affects gliogenesisDimitri Cloëtta
Biozentrum, University of Basel, CH 4056 Basel, Switzerland
J Neurosci 33:7799-810. 2013..Together, our results show that postnatal survival, overall brain growth, and specific aspects of brain development critically depend on mTORC1 function...
- Homozygous loss of BHD causes early embryonic lethality and kidney tumor development with activation of mTORC1 and mTORC2Yukiko Hasumi
Urologic Oncology Branch, Center for Cancer Research, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:18722-7. 2009....
- Renal tumour suppressor function of the Birt-Hogg-Dubé syndrome gene product folliculinV Hudon
Goodman Cancer Centre, McGill University, Room 707A, McIntyre Building, 3655 Sir William Osler Promenade, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H3G1Y6
J Med Genet 47:182-9. 2010..The molecular function of FLCN is still largely unknown; opposite and conflicting evidence of the role of FLCN in mammalian target of rapamycin signalling/phosphorylated ribosomal protein S6 (p-S6) activation had recently been reported...
- LKB1 regulates pancreatic beta cell size, polarity, and functionZvi Granot
Department of Developmental Biology and Cancer Research and Molecular Biology, The Institute for Medical Research Israel Canada, The Hebrew University Hadassah Medical School, Jerusalem 91120, Israel
Cell Metab 10:296-308. 2009..Insulin secretion and content are restricted by LKB1, at least in part, via AMPK. These results expose a molecular mechanism, orchestrated by LKB1, for the coordinated maintenance of beta cell size, form, and function...
- Pdk1 activity controls proliferation, survival, and growth of developing pancreatic cellsJoby J Westmoreland
Department of Genetics and Tumor Cell Biology, St Jude Children s Research Hospital, Memphis, TN 38105, USA
Dev Biol 334:285-98. 2009....
- Rheb is essential for murine developmentSusanna M I Goorden
Department of Neuroscience, Erasmus MC University Medical Center, P O Box 2040, 3000 CA Rotterdam, Netherlands
Mol Cell Biol 31:1672-8. 2011..Rheb heterozygosity extended the life span of tuberous sclerosis complex 1-deficient (Tsc1(-/-)) embryos, indicating that there is a genetic interaction between the Tsc1 and Rheb genes in mouse...
- Mice deficient in ribosomal protein S6 phosphorylation suffer from muscle weakness that reflects a growth defect and energy deficitIgor Ruvinsky
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, IMRIC, Hebrew University Hadassah Medical School, Jerusalem, Israel
PLoS ONE 4:e5618. 2009..protein S6 cannot be phosphorylated due to replacement of all five phosphorylatable serine residues by alanines (rpS6(P-/-)), are viable and fertile...
- Genetic dissection of the oncogenic mTOR pathway reveals druggable addiction to translational control via 4EBP-eIF4EAndrew C Hsieh
School of Medicine and Department of Urology, Helen Diller Family Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94158, USA
Cancer Cell 17:249-61. 2010..While phosphorylation of rpS6 is dispensable for cancer formation, 4EBP-eIF4E exerts significant control over cap-dependent translation, cell ..
- The apical complex couples cell fate and cell survival to cerebral cortical developmentSeonhee Kim
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Division of Genetics, Children s Hospital Boston, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Neuron 66:69-84. 2010..These data highlight unexpected roles of the apical complex protein Pals1 in cell survival through interactions with mTOR signaling...
- PDK1 regulates vascular remodeling and promotes epithelial-mesenchymal transition in cardiac developmentQiuting Feng
Department of Cardiology, First Affiliated Hospital of Nanjing Medical University, Nanjing 210029, China
Mol Cell Biol 30:3711-21. 2010..Taken together, these results have revealed an essential role of PDK1 in cardiovascular development through activation of Akt and Snail...
- Different cytoplasmic/nuclear distribution of S6 protein phosphorylated at S240/244 and S235/236M Rosner
Institute of Medical Genetics, Medical University of Vienna, Währinger Strasse 10, 1090, Vienna, Austria
Amino Acids 40:595-600. 2011..Our findings provide new insights into the regulation of S6 phosphorylation and S6 protein localization in mammalian cells...
- Dynamic Lkb1-TORC1 signaling as a possible mechanism for regulating the endoderm-intestine transitionKathryn E Marshall
Department of Cell Biology, Neurobiology, and Anatomy, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53226, USA
Dev Dyn 239:3000-12. 2010..These data suggest that programmed localization of Lkb1 could represent a novel mechanism for regulating the EIT during intestinal development in vertebrates...
- The putative RNA helicase HELZ promotes cell proliferation, translation initiation and ribosomal protein S6 phosphorylationPhilippe A Hasgall
Institute of Physiology and Zurich Center for Integrative Human Physiology ZIHP, University of Zurich UZH, Zurich, Switzerland
PLoS ONE 6:e22107. 2011..Importantly, downregulation of HELZ reduced translational initiation, resulting in the disassembly of polysomes, in a reduction of cell proliferation and hypophosphorylation of ribosomal protein S6...
- Reduced ribosomal protein gene dosage and p53 activation in low-risk myelodysplastic syndromeKelly A McGowan
Departments of Genetics, Stanford University, Stanford, CA, USA
Blood 118:3622-33. 2011....
- Mammalian stress granules represent sites of accumulation of stalled translation initiation complexesScot R Kimball
Department of Cellular and Molecular Physiology, The Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine, Hershey, Pennsylvania 17033, USA
Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 284:C273-84. 2003..Finally, we also show that stress granules contain many, if not all, of the components of the 48S preinitiation complex, but not 60S ribosomal subunits, suggesting that they represent stalled translation initiation complexes...
- Rapamycin suppresses seizures and neuronal hypertrophy in a mouse model of cortical dysplasiaM Cecilia Ljungberg
The Cain Foundation Laboratories, Texas Children s Hospital, Department of Pediatrics, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Dis Model Mech 2:389-98. 2009..These findings support the possibility that this drug may be developed as a novel antiepileptic treatment for patients with cortical dysplasia and similar disorders...
- A hypomorphic allele of Tsc2 highlights the role of TSC1/TSC2 in signaling to AKT and models mild human TSC2 allelesKristen Pollizzi
Translational Medicine Division, Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Hum Mol Genet 18:2378-87. 2009..Tsc2-del3 mice also serve as a model for hypomorphic TSC2 missense mutations reported in TSC patients...
- Absence of nucleolar disruption after impairment of 40S ribosome biogenesis reveals an rpL11-translation-dependent mechanism of p53 inductionStefano Fumagalli
Department of Cancer and Cell Biology, Genome Research Institute, University of Cincinnati, 2180 East Galbraith Road, Cincinnati, Ohio 45237, USA
Nat Cell Biol 11:501-8. 2009..Previously, we demonstrated that deletion of the 40S rpS6 gene in mouse liver prevents hepatocytes from re-entering the cell cycle after partial hepatectomy...
- Inactivation of S6 ribosomal protein gene in T lymphocytes activates a p53-dependent checkpoint responseSanda Sulic
Department of Molecular Medicine and Biotechnology, School of Medicine, University of Rijeka, Croatia
Genes Dev 19:3070-82. 2005..the effect of impaired ribosome functions in vivo, we conditionally deleted one or two alleles of the 40S ribosomal protein S6 gene in T cells in the mouse...
- Regulation of neuronal morphology and function by the tumor suppressors Tsc1 and Tsc2Sohail F Tavazoie
Department of Neurobiology, Harvard Medical School, 220 Longwood Avenue, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Nat Neurosci 8:1727-34. 2005..Thus, the TSC pathway regulates growth and synapse function in neurons, and perturbations of neuronal structure and function are likely to contribute to the pathogenesis of the neurological symptoms of TSC...
- IL2-dependent phosphorylation of 40S ribosomal protein S6 is controlled by PI-3K/mTOR signalling in CTLL2 cellsZdena Tuhácková
Institute of Molecular Genetics, Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic, 166 37 Prague 6, Czech Republic
Int J Mol Med 13:601-5. 2004..Here we demonstrate that the phosphorylation of 40S ribosomal protein S6, a physiological substrate p70 S6 kinase, was highly increased by growth-stimulation of the cytolytic T ..
- Critical role of T-loop and H-motif phosphorylation in the regulation of S6 kinase 1 by the tuberous sclerosis complexO Jameel Shah
Molecular and Cellular Biology Laboratory, The Salk Institute for Biological Studies, 10010 N Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
J Biol Chem 279:20816-23. 2004..These results also highlight the importance of dual control of T-loop and H-motif phosphorylation of S6K1 by the Tsc1-Tsc2 complex...
- The Wilms' tumour protein (WT1) shuttles between nucleus and cytoplasm and is present in functional polysomesMartina Niksic
MRC Human Genetics Unit, Western General Hospital, Edinburgh, UK
Hum Mol Genet 13:463-71. 2004..Interestingly, despite the functional differences between two of the WT1 isoforms (+/-KTS) within the nucleus, both isoforms share the shuttling property and are found in translating polysomes...
- Proliferation, but not growth, blocked by conditional deletion of 40S ribosomal protein S6S Volarevic
Friedrich Miescher Institute, Maulbeerstrasse 66, CH 4058, Basel, Switzerland
Science 288:2045-7. 2000..To test this possibility, we conditionally deleted the gene encoding 40S ribosomal protein S6 in the liver of adult mice...
- Structural characterization of the mouse ribosomal protein S6-encoding geneI Pata
Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology, Tartu University, Estonian Biocentre, Estonia
Gene 175:241-5. 1996..7 kb in length, and is composed of five exons. The intron positions of the mouse S6 (Rps6) coincide exactly to those of the homologous human S6 (RPS6), but the last intron present in the human is absent in ..
- The mammalian RPS6 gene, homolog of the Drosophila air8 tumor suppressor gene: is it an oncosuppressor gene?F Lecomte
Universite Libre de Bruxelles, Departement de Biologie Moleculaire, Rhode Saint Genese, Belgium
Somat Cell Mol Genet 21:443-50. 1995..We assigned the rat Rps6 gene to chromosome 5q22-33...
- Identification of 40 S ribosomal protein S6 phosphorylation sites in Swiss mouse 3T3 fibroblasts stimulated with serumH R Bandi
Friedrich Miescher Institute, Basel, Switzerland
J Biol Chem 268:4530-3. 1993..The results show that the phosphorylated peptide extends from Arg231 to Lys249 and that the sites of phosphorylation in vivo are Ser235, Ser240, Ser244, and Ser247...
- Complete sequence of mouse S6 ribosomal proteinJ L Lalanne
Nucleic Acids Res 15:4990. 1987
- Selective deletion of Pten in pancreatic beta cells leads to increased islet mass and resistance to STZ-induced diabetesBangyan L Stiles
Molecular and Medical Pharmacology, UCLA David Geffen School of Medicine, Los Angeles, California 90095, USA
Mol Cell Biol 26:2772-81. 2006..Our data demonstrate that PTEN loss in beta cells is not tumorigenic but beneficial. This suggests that modulating the PTEN-controlled signaling pathway is a potential approach for beta-cell protection and regeneration therapies...
- Ribosomal protein S6 gene haploinsufficiency is associated with activation of a p53-dependent checkpoint during gastrulationLinda Panic
Department of Molecular Medicine and Biotechnology, School of Medicine, University of Rijeka, Brace Branchetta 20, 51000, Rijeka, Croatia
Mol Cell Biol 26:8880-91. 2006..Thus, a p53-dependent checkpoint is activated during gastrulation in response to ribosome insufficiency to prevent improper execution of the developmental program...
- Generation of a conditional disruption of the Tsc2 geneOmar Hernandez
Department of Pediatrics, Division of Medical Genetics, University of Texas Health Science Center, Houston 77030, USA
Genesis 45:101-6. 2007..Using this Tsc2(flox) allele we have generated a null allele using Cre recombination. This allele will be useful in investigating TSC pathology with appropriate cell and organ specific Cre-transgenic mice...
- The p53 tumor suppressor causes congenital malformations in Rpl24-deficient mice and promotes their survivalMartina Barkic
Department of Molecular Medicine and Biotechnology, School of Medicine, University of Rijeka, Brace Branchetta 20, 51000 Rijeka, Croatia
Mol Cell Biol 29:2489-504. 2009..Our results imply that activation of a p53-dependent checkpoint mechanism in response to various ribosomal protein deficiencies might also play a role in the pathogenesis of congenital malformations in humans...
- Stimulation of skeletal muscle myofibrillar protein synthesis, p70 S6 kinase phosphorylation, and ribosomal protein S6 phosphorylation by inhibition of myostatin in mature miceStephen Welle
University of Rochester Medical Center, Rochester, NY 14642, USA
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 296:E567-72. 2009..JA16 increased phosphorylation of p70 S6 kinase (S6K) and ribosomal protein S6 (rpS6) 1.9-fold (P < 0.05)...
- The TSC-mTOR pathway mediates translational activation of TOP mRNAs by insulin largely in a raptor- or rictor-independent mannerIlona Patursky-Polischuk
Department of Biochemistry, Hebrew University Hadassah Medical School, Jerusalem, Israel
Mol Cell Biol 29:640-9. 2009..This conclusion is further supported by the observation that raptor knockout renders the translation of TOP mRNAs rapamycin hypersensitive...
- Promoting axon regeneration in the adult CNS by modulation of the PTEN/mTOR pathwayKevin Kyungsuk Park
F M Kirby Neurobiology Center, Children s Hospital, and Department of Neurology, Harvard Medical School, 300 Longwood Avenue, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Science 322:963-6. 2008..Thus, our results suggest the manipulation of intrinsic growth control pathways as a therapeutic approach to promote axon regeneration after CNS injury...
- Ribosomal mutations cause p53-mediated dark skin and pleiotropic effectsKelly A McGowan
Department of Genetics, Division of Radiation and CancerBiology, Stanford University, Stanford, California 94305, USA
Nat Genet 40:963-70. 2008....
- Neurofibromatosis-1 regulates neuronal and glial cell differentiation from neuroglial progenitors in vivo by both cAMP- and Ras-dependent mechanismsBalazs Hegedus
Department of Neurology, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Cell Stem Cell 1:443-57. 2007..Together, these findings demonstrate that neurofibromin is required for normal glial and neuronal development involving separable Ras-dependent and cAMP-dependent mechanisms...
- Ribosomal protein S6 is a selective mediator of TRAIL-apoptotic signalingY J Jeon
School of Biological Science Bio Max Institute, Seoul National University, Seoul, Korea
Oncogene 27:4344-52. 2008..performed a functional genetic screening and rescued TRAIL-resistant Jurkat clones harboring ribosomal protein S6 (rpS6) cDNA in anti-sense frame...
- The long form of the leptin receptor regulates STAT5 and ribosomal protein S6 via alternate mechanismsYusong Gong
Division of Metabolism, Endocrinology and Diabetes, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109, USA
J Biol Chem 282:31019-27. 2007..Dissecting the contributions of these individual pathways to leptin action will be important for our ultimate understanding of the processes that regulate energy balance in vivo...
- Mitogen-activated 70K S6 kinase. Identification of in vitro 40 S ribosomal S6 phosphorylation sitesS Ferrari
Friedrich Miescher Institute, Basel, Switzerland
J Biol Chem 266:22770-5. 1991..The low level of phosphorylation of the fifth site in vitro is discussed with regard to known results and to a potential three-dimensional model for the carboxyl terminus of S6...
- CHANGES IN GENE EXPRESSION IN SENESCENT MUSCLEStephen Welle; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- Muscle protein synthesis and gene expression in myostatin-deficient miceStephen L Welle; Fiscal Year: 2010..Knowledge of the physiological and molecular effects of reducing myostatin activity in mature muscle will reveal potential benefits and limitations of anti-myostatin therapy. ..
- REGULATION OF PROTEIN TURNOVER IN SEPSISScot R Kimball; Fiscal Year: 2010....