Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Pthlh
Description: parathyroid hormone-like peptide
Alias: PLP, PTH-like, Pthrp, parathyroid hormone-related protein, PTH-related peptide, parathyroid hormone-like hormone, parathyroid hormone-like protein, parathyroid hormone-related peptide
Publications108 found, 100 shown here
- PTHrP regulates growth plate chondrocyte differentiation and proliferation in a Gli3 dependent manner utilizing hedgehog ligand dependent and independent mechanismsElaine Mau
The Program in Developmental Biology of the Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Dev Biol 305:28-39. 2007..Although it is known that parathyroid hormone related protein (PTHrP) and Indian hedgehog regulate the differentiation of growth plate chondrocytes, how these ..
- Parathyroid hormone-related protein protects against mammary tumor emergence and is associated with monocyte infiltration in ductal carcinoma in situNicholas I Fleming
Research Division, Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre, East Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Cancer Res 69:7473-9. 2009Parathyroid hormone-related protein (PTHrP) is required for mammary gland development and promotes the growth of breast cancer metastases within bone...
- Parathyroid hormone-related peptide-depleted mice show abnormal epiphyseal cartilage development and altered endochondral bone formationN Amizuka
Department of Medicine, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
J Cell Biol 126:1611-23. 1994To elucidate the role of PTHrP in skeletal development, we examined the proximal tibial epiphysis and metaphysis of wild-type (PTHrP-normal) 18-19-d-old fetal mice and of chondrodystrophic litter mates homozygous for a disrupted PTHrP ..
- Lethal skeletal dysplasia from targeted disruption of the parathyroid hormone-related peptide geneA C Karaplis
Endocrine Unit, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston 02114
Genes Dev 8:277-89. 1994The parathyroid hormone-related peptide (PTHrP) gene was disrupted in murine embryonic stem cells by homologous recombination, and the null allele was introduced into the mouse germ line...
- Defining the roles of parathyroid hormone-related protein in normal physiologyW M Philbrick
Division of Endocrinology, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut, USA
Physiol Rev 76:127-73. 1996Parathyroid hormone-related protein (PTHrP) was discovered as a result of a search for the circulating factor secreted by cancers which causes the common paraneoplastic syndrome humoral hypercalcemia of malignancy...
- Haploinsufficiency of parathyroid hormone-related peptide (PTHrP) results in abnormal postnatal bone developmentN Amizuka
Department of Medicine, McGill University, Montreal, Canada
Dev Biol 175:166-76. 1996..normal at birth, mice heterozygous for inactivation of the gene encoding parathyroid hormone-related peptide (PTHrP) develop haplotype insufficiency by 3 months of age...
- Regulation of rate of cartilage differentiation by Indian hedgehog and PTH-related proteinA Vortkamp
Department of Genetics, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Science 273:613-22. 1996..Ihh induces the expression of a second signal, parathyroid hormone-related protein (PTHrP), in the periarticular perichondrium...
- PTH/PTHrP receptor in early development and Indian hedgehog-regulated bone growthB Lanske
Endocrine Unit, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Science 273:663-6. 1996The PTH/PTHrP receptor binds to two ligands with distinct functions: the calcium-regulating hormone, parathyroid hormone (PTH), and the paracrine factor, PTH-related protein (PTHrP)...
- Targeted overexpression of parathyroid hormone-related peptide in chondrocytes causes chondrodysplasia and delayed endochondral bone formationE C Weir
Section of Comparative Medicine, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06520, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 93:10240-5. 1996Parathyroid hormone-related peptide (PTHrP) was initially identified as a product of malignant tumors that mediates paraneoplastic hypercalcemia...
- Parathyroid hormone related peptide mRNA expression during murine postimplantation development: evidence for involvement in multiple differentiation processesM Karperien
Netherlands Institute for Developmental Biology, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Int J Dev Biol 40:599-608. 1996In this study we describe the spatio-temporal expression of Parathyroid Hormone related Peptide (PTHrP) mRNA during murine postimplantation development from day 5.5 post coitum (pc) until day 12.5 pc. From day 5...
- The role of fetal parathyroid hormone-related protein in transplacental calcium transportJ Tucci
Howard Florey Institute of Experimental Physiology and Medicine, University of Melbourne, Parkville, Victoria, Australia
J Mol Endocrinol 17:159-64. 1996..Based on experiments performed in the sheep, parathyroid hormone-related protein (PTHrP) has been implicated as the hormone responsible for maintaining the placental calcium pump...
- Parathyroid hormone-related peptide (PTHrP) regulates fetal-placental calcium transport through a receptor distinct from the PTH/PTHrP receptorC S Kovacs
Endocrine Unit, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston 02114, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 93:15233-8. 1996To determine the role of PTHrP in fetal calcium metabolism, blood calcium was measured in mice homozygous (HOM) for deletion of the PTHrP gene. On day 18...
- Targeted expression of constitutively active receptors for parathyroid hormone and parathyroid hormone-related peptide delays endochondral bone formation and rescues mice that lack parathyroid hormone-related peptideE Schipani
Endocrine Unit, Department of Medicine, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 94:13689-94. 1997Mice in which the genes encoding the parathyroid hormone (PTH)-related peptide (PTHrP) or the PTH/PTHrP receptor have been ablated by homologous recombination show skeletal dysplasia due to accelerated endochondral bone formation, and ..
- Rescue of the parathyroid hormone-related protein knockout mouse demonstrates that parathyroid hormone-related protein is essential for mammary gland developmentJ J Wysolmerski
Department of Internal Medicine, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT, USA
Development 125:1285-94. 1998Parathyroid hormone-related protein (PTHrP) was originally discovered as a tumor product that causes humoral hypercalcemia of malignancy...
- Disrupted expression of matrix genes in the growth plate of the mouse cartilage matrix deficiency (cmd) mutantA W Wai
Department of Biochemistry, University of Hong Kong, China
Dev Genet 22:349-58. 1998..The discordance of gene expression in cmd chondrocytes may be additional factors contributing to the disrupted cellular architecture of the growth plate resulting from the primary absence of aggrecan...
- Parathyroid hormone-related protein is required for tooth eruptionW M Philbrick
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Department of Internal Medicine, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06520, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 95:11846-51. 1998Parathyroid hormone (PTH)-related protein (PTHrP)-knockout mice die at birth with a chondrodystrophic phenotype characterized by premature chondrocyte differentiation and accelerated bone formation, whereas overexpression of PTHrP in the ..
- Stromal cells are critical targets in the regulation of mammary ductal morphogenesis by parathyroid hormone-related proteinM E Dunbar
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Department of Internal Medicine, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut, 06520, USA
Dev Biol 203:75-89. 1998Parathyroid hormone-related protein (PTHrP) was originally identified as the tumor product responsible for humoral hypercalcemia of malignancy...
- Transforming growth factor-beta stimulates mouse blastocyst outgrowth through a mechanism involving parathyroid hormone-related proteinR A Nowak
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Biol Reprod 60:85-93. 1999..1) to compare the effects of transforming growth factor-beta (TGF-beta) and parathyroid hormone-related protein (PTHrP) on mouse blastocyst attachment and outgrowth in vitro, 2) to determine whether TGF-beta acts through a mechanism ..
- Maturational disturbance of chondrocytes in Cbfa1-deficient miceM Inada
Department of Medicine III, Osaka University Medical School, Japan
Dev Dyn 214:279-90. 1999..Chondrocyte differentiation was severely disturbed in the rest of the skeleton. The expression of PTH/PTHrP receptor, Indian hedgehog, type X collagen, and BMP6 was not detected in humerus and femur, indicating that ..
- Parathyroid hormone-related protein signaling is necessary for sexual dimorphism during embryonic mammary developmentM E Dunbar
Department of Internal Medicine, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06520 8020, USA
Development 126:3485-93. 1999..We show that this process involves apoptosis and that, in the absence of parathyroid hormone-related protein (PTHrP) or its receptor, the PTH/PTHrP receptor (PPR1), it fails due to a lack of mesenchymal AR expression...
- Ablation of the PTHrP gene or the PTH/PTHrP receptor gene leads to distinct abnormalities in bone developmentB Lanske
Endocrine Unit, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
J Clin Invest 104:399-407. 1999Parathyroid hormone (PTH) and parathyroid hormone-related peptide (PTHrP) bind to and activate the same PTH/PTHrP receptor...
- Indian hedgehog signaling regulates proliferation and differentiation of chondrocytes and is essential for bone formationB St-Jacques
Harvard University, Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
Genes Dev 13:2072-86. 1999..chondrocyte maturation by way of feedback control of a second secreted factor parathyroid hormone-related peptide (PTHrP) at the articular surfaces...
- Indian hedgehog coordinates endochondral bone growth and morphogenesis via parathyroid hormone related-protein-dependent and -independent pathwaysS J Karp
Harvard University, Department of Molecular Biology, The Biolabs, Cambridge, MA 02138, USA
Development 127:543-8. 2000Indian hedgehog (Ihh) and Parathyroid Hormone-related Protein (PTHrP) play a critical role in the morphogenesis of the vertebrate skeleton...
- Parathyroid hormone-related protein maintains mammary epithelial fate and triggers nipple skin differentiation during embryonic breast developmentJ Foley
Medical Sciences, Indiana University School of Medicine, Bloomington, IN 47405, USA
Development 128:513-25. 2001Prior reports have demonstrated that both parathyroid hormone-related protein (PTHrP) and the type I PTH/PTHrP receptor are necessary for the proper development of the embryonic mammary gland in mice...
- Fetal parathyroids are not required to maintain placental calcium transportC S Kovacs
Faculty of Medicine Endocrinology, Memorial University of Newfoundland, 300 Prince Philip Drive, St John s, Newfoundland A1B 3V6, Canada
J Clin Invest 107:1007-15. 2001..Both the rate of placental calcium transfer and the plasma PTHrP level were normal in Hoxa3 mutants and their heterozygous siblings...
- The transcription factors L-Sox5 and Sox6 are essential for cartilage formationP Smits
Department of Molecular Genetics, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston 77030, USA
Dev Cell 1:277-90. 2001..L-Sox5 and Sox6 are thus redundant, potent enhancers of chondroblast functions, thereby essential for endochondral skeleton formation...
- BMP and Ihh/PTHrP signaling interact to coordinate chondrocyte proliferation and differentiationE Minina
Otto Warburg Laboratory, Max Planck Institute for Molecular Genetics, Ihnestrasse 73, 14195 Berlin, Germany
Development 128:4523-34. 2001..endochondral ossification, two secreted signals, Indian hedgehog (Ihh) and parathyroid hormone-related protein (PTHrP), have been shown to form a negative feedback loop regulating the onset of hypertrophic differentiation of ..
- Genetic manipulation of hedgehog signaling in the endochondral skeleton reveals a direct role in the regulation of chondrocyte proliferationF Long
Harvard University, Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, Cambridge, MA 02138, USA
Development 128:5099-108. 2001..Taken together, the present study establishes Ihh as a key mitogen in the endochondral skeleton...
- Calcitropic gene expression suggests a role for the intraplacental yolk sac in maternal-fetal calcium exchangeChristopher S Kovacs
Faculty of Medicine Endocrinology, Memorial University of Newfoundland, St John s, Newfoundland A1B 3V6, Canada
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 282:E721-32. 2002..Parathyroid hormone-related protein (PTHrP), the PTH/PTHrP receptor, calcium receptor, calbindin-D(9k), Ca(2+)-ATPase, and vitamin D receptor were all highly ..
- Endogenous parathyroid hormone-related protein functions as a neuroprotective agentOindrila Chatterjee
Department of Internal Medicine, Yale University School of Medicine, Fitkin 100, 333 Cedar Street, P O Box 208020, New Haven, CT 06520 8020, USA
Brain Res 930:58-66. 2002Parathyroid hormone-related protein (PTHrP) was discovered a dozen years ago as a product of malignant tumors. It is now known that PTHrP is a paracrine factor with multiple biological functions...
- Parathyroid hormone is essential for normal fetal bone formationDengshun Miao
Calcium Research Laboratory, McGill University Health Centre, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
J Clin Invest 109:1173-82. 2002..the role of PTH in fetal skeletal development by comparing newborn mice lacking either PTH, PTH-related peptide (PTHrP), or both peptides...
- PTHrP and Indian hedgehog control differentiation of growth plate chondrocytes at multiple stepsTatsuya Kobayashi
Endocrine Unit, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Development 129:2977-86. 2002..expressed in prehypertrophic cells, stimulates expression of parathyroid hormone (PTH)-related peptide (PTHrP) which negatively regulates terminal chondrocyte differentiation through the PTH/PTHrP receptor (PPR)...
- Wnt5a and Wnt5b exhibit distinct activities in coordinating chondrocyte proliferation and differentiationYingzi Yang
Genetic Disease Research Branch, National Human Genome Research Institute, National Institute of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Development 130:1003-15. 2003..different chondrocyte zones independently of the Indian hedgehog (Ihh)/parathyroid hormone-related peptide (PTHrP) negative feedback loop...
- Mammary-specific deletion of parathyroid hormone-related protein preserves bone mass during lactationJoshua N VanHouten
Section of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Department of Internal Medicine, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06520 8020, USA
J Clin Invest 112:1429-36. 2003..Several studies have suggested that parathyroid hormone-related protein (PTHrP) might be secreted into the circulation by the lactating mammary gland and regulate bone turnover during lactation...
- Soluble VEGF isoforms are essential for establishing epiphyseal vascularization and regulating chondrocyte development and survivalChrista Maes
Laboratory of Experimental Medicine and Endocrinology, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
J Clin Invest 113:188-99. 2004..These findings indicate that the insoluble VEGF(188) isoform is insufficient for establishing epiphyseal vascularization and regulating cartilage development during endochondral bone formation...
- The calcium-sensing receptor regulates mammary gland parathyroid hormone-related protein production and calcium transportJoshua VanHouten
Section of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Department of Internal Medicine, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06520 8020, USA
J Clin Invest 113:598-608. 2004..In this report, we demonstrate that parathyroid hormone-related protein (PTHrP) production and calcium transport in mammary epithelial cells are regulated by extracellular calcium acting ..
- Sox5 and Sox6 are needed to develop and maintain source, columnar, and hypertrophic chondrocytes in the cartilage growth platePatrick Smits
Dept of Biomedical Engineering, Lerner Research Institute, The Cleveland Clinic Foundation, 9500 Euclid Ave, ND 20, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
J Cell Biol 164:747-58. 2004..In conclusion, Sox5 and Sox6 are needed for the establishment of multilayered growth plates, and thereby for proper and timely development of endochondral bones...
- Interactions between Sox9 and beta-catenin control chondrocyte differentiationHaruhiko Akiyama
Department of Molecular Genetics, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Genes Dev 18:1072-87. 2004..Our results strongly suggest that chondrogenesis is controlled by interactions between Sox9 and the Wnt/beta-catenin signaling pathway...
- Ext1-dependent heparan sulfate regulates the range of Ihh signaling during endochondral ossificationLydia Koziel
Otto Warburg Laboratory, Max Planck Institute for Molecular Genetics, Ihnestrasse 73, 14195 Berlin, Germany
Dev Cell 6:801-13. 2004..Finally, we propose that the development of exostoses in the human Hereditary Multiple Exostoses syndrome can be attributed to activation of Ihh signaling...
- Targeted expression of SHH affects chondrocyte differentiation, growth plate organization, and Sox9 expressionSara Tavella
Department of Oncology, Biology and Genetics, University of Genoa Medical School, Genoa, Italy
J Bone Miner Res 19:1678-88. 2004..Overexpression caused a lethal craniorachischisis with major alterations in long bones because of defects in chondrocyte differentiation...
- The vitamin D receptor is not required for fetal mineral homeostasis or for the regulation of placental calcium transfer in miceChristopher S Kovacs
Faculty of Medicine, Memorial University of Newfoundland, 300 Prince Philip Dr, St John s, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 289:E133-44. 2005..but not placenta; a small increase was also noted in placental expression of parathyroid hormone-related protein (PTHrP)...
- PTHrP signaling targets cyclin D1 and induces osteoblastic cell growth arrestNabanita S Datta
Department of Periodontics Prevention Geriatrics, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109 1078, USA
J Bone Miner Res 20:1051-64. 2005b>PTHrP control of the MC3T3-E1 cell cycle machinery showed that, during differentiation, PTHrP induced G1 growth arrest...
- Indian hedgehog stimulates periarticular chondrocyte differentiation to regulate growth plate length independently of PTHrPTatsuya Kobayashi
Endocrine Unit, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA, USA
J Clin Invest 115:1734-42. 2005..Parathyroid hormone-related (PTH-related) protein (PTHrP), regulated by Indian hedgehog (Ihh), prevents premature hypertrophic differentiation, thereby maintaining the ..
- Osteoblast-derived PTHrP is a potent endogenous bone anabolic agent that modifies the therapeutic efficacy of administered PTH 1-34Dengshun Miao
Calcium Research Laboratory and Department of Medicine, Royal Victoria Hospital of the McGill University Health Centre, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
J Clin Invest 115:2402-11. 2005Mice heterozygous for targeted disruption of Pthrp exhibit, by 3 months of age, diminished bone volume and skeletal microarchitectural changes indicative of advanced osteoporosis...
- Initial characterization of PTH-related protein gene-driven lacZ expression in the mouseXuesong Chen
Section of Endocrinology, Department of Internal Medicine, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06520 8020, USA
J Bone Miner Res 21:113-23. 2006The PTHrP gene generates low-abundance mRNA and protein products that are not easily localized by in situ hybridization histochemistry or immunohistochemistry...
- Nkx3.2/Bapx1 acts as a negative regulator of chondrocyte maturationSylvain Provot
Department of Biological Chemistry and Molecular Pharmacology, Harvard Medical School, 240 Longwood Avenue, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Development 133:651-62. 2006Parathyroid hormone-related protein (PTHrP) is essential to maintain a pool of dividing, immature chondrocytes in the growth plate of long bones. In chick and mouse, expression of Nkx3...
- Novel late response genes of PTHrP in chondrocytesJakomijn Hoogendam
Department of Pediatrics, Leiden University Medical Center, Leiden, The Netherlands
Horm Res 67:159-70. 2007To gain more insight into the downstream effectors of parathyroid hormone (PTH) related peptide (PTHrP) signaling in chondrocytes, we performed microarray analysis to identify late PTHrP response genes using the chondrogenic ATDC5 cell ..
- BMP4 and PTHrP interact to stimulate ductal outgrowth during embryonic mammary development and to inhibit hair follicle inductionJulie R Hens
Section of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Department of Internal Medicine, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06520 8020, USA
Development 134:1221-30. 2007..Previous studies have shown that parathyroid hormone-related protein (PTHrP; also known as parathyroid hormone-like peptide, Pthlh) is produced by mammary epithelial cells and acts on ..
- Indian hedgehog signals independently of PTHrP to promote chondrocyte hypertrophyKinglun Kingston Mak
Genetic Disease Research Branch, National Human Genome Research Institute, 49 Convent Drive, MSC 4472, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Development 135:1947-56. 2008..Indian hedgehog (Ihh) and PTHrP signaling play crucial roles in regulating the onset of chondrocyte hypertrophy by forming a negative feedback ..
- Hedgehog signaling in mature osteoblasts regulates bone formation and resorption by controlling PTHrP and RANKL expressionKinglun Kingston Mak
Genetic Disease Research Branch, National Human Genome Research Institute, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Dev Cell 14:674-88. 2008..showed that Hh signaling indirectly induced osteoclast differentiation by upregulating osteoblast expression of PTHrP, which promoted RANKL expression via PKA and its target transcription factor CREB...
- Regulation of articular chondrocyte proliferation and differentiation by indian hedgehog and parathyroid hormone-related protein in miceXuesong Chen
Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06520 8020, USA
Arthritis Rheum 58:3788-97. 2008..of the epiphyseal growth zone are regulated by the Indian hedgehog (IHH)-parathyroid hormone-related protein (PTHrP) axis...
- Severe growth retardation and early lethality in mice lacking the nuclear localization sequence and C-terminus of PTH-related proteinDengshun Miao
Department of Anatomy, Histology and Embryology, The Research Center for Bone and Stem Cells, Nanjing Medical University, Nanjing, Jiangsu, People s Republic of China
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105:20309-14. 2008..role in the regulation of serum calcium and phosphorus homeostasis, while parathyroid hormone-related protein (PTHrP) has important developmental roles...
- The Wnt/beta-catenin pathway interacts differentially with PTHrP signaling to control chondrocyte hypertrophy and final maturationXizhi Guo
Developmental Genetics Section, National Human Genome Research Institute, Bethesda, MD, USA
PLoS ONE 4:e6067. 2009..The canonical Wnt signaling pathway acts through beta-catenin to promote chondrocyte hypertrophy whereas PTHrP signaling inhibits it by holding chondrocytes in proliferating states...
- Parathyroid hormone-related peptide represses chondrocyte hypertrophy through a protein phosphatase 2A/histone deacetylase 4/MEF2 pathwayElena Kozhemyakina
Department of Biological Chemistry and Molecular Pharmacology, Harvard Medical School, 240 Longwood Ave, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Mol Cell Biol 29:5751-62. 2009..of immature chondrocytes to hypertrophic chondrocytes is regulated by parathyroid hormone-related peptide (PTHrP)...
- Analysis of gene expression in PTHrP-/- mammary buds supports a role for BMP signaling and MMP2 in the initiation of ductal morphogenesisJulie Hens
Department of Biology, St Bonaventure University, St Bonaventure, New York, USA
Dev Dyn 238:2713-24. 2009Parathyroid hormone-related protein (PTHrP) acts on the mammary mesenchyme and is required for proper embryonic mammary development...
- Parathyroid hormone regulates fetal-placental mineral homeostasisCharlene S Simmonds
Faculty of Medicine, Memorial University of Newfoundland, St John s, Newfoundland, Canada
J Bone Miner Res 25:594-605. 2010..Although parathyroid hormone-related protein (PTHrP) acts in concert with PTH to regulate fetal mineral homeostasis and placental calcium transfer, unlike PTH, it ..
- The midregion, nuclear localization sequence, and C terminus of PTHrP regulate skeletal development, hematopoiesis, and survival in miceRamiro E Toribio
Department of Veterinary Clinical Sciences, The Ohio State University, 601 Vernon Tharp St, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
FASEB J 24:1947-57. 2010The functions of parathyroid hormone-related protein (PTHrP) on morphogenesis, cell proliferation, apoptosis, and calcium homeostasis have been attributed to its N terminus...
- Zfp521 is a target gene and key effector of parathyroid hormone-related peptide signaling in growth plate chondrocytesDiego Correa
Department of Oral Medicine, Infection and Immunity, Harvard School of Dental Medicine, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Dev Cell 19:533-46. 2010In the growth plate, the interplay between parathyroid hormone-related peptide (PTHrP) and Indian hedgehog (Ihh) signaling tightly regulates chondrocyte proliferation and differentiation during longitudinal bone growth...
- c-myc and skp2 coordinate p27 degradation, vascular smooth muscle proliferation, and neointima formation induced by the parathyroid hormone-related proteinBrian M Sicari
Division of Endocrinology, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, 3550 Terrace Street, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15213, USA
Endocrinology 153:861-72. 2012Parathyroid hormone-related protein (PTHrP) contains a classical bipartite nuclear localization signal. Nuclear PTHrP induces proliferation of arterial vascular smooth muscle cells (VSMC)...
- Parathyroid hormone-related protein activates Wnt signaling to specify the embryonic mammary mesenchymeMinoti Hiremath
Department of Biological Sciences, Boise State University, Boise, ID 83725, USA
Development 139:4239-49. 2012Parathyroid hormone-related protein (PTHrP) regulates cell fate and specifies the mammary mesenchyme during embryonic development...
- Overexpression of parathyroid hormone-related protein in the skin of transgenic mice interferes with hair follicle developmentJ J Wysolmerski
Department of Medicine, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06510
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 91:1133-7. 1994Parathyroid hormone-related peptide (PTHrP) was initially discovered as the cause of the syndrome of humoral hypercalcemia of malignancy...
- The parathyroid hormone-related protein gene and its expressionM T Gillespie
University of Melbourne Department of Medicine, St Vincent s Hospital, Fitzroy, Victoria, Australia
Mol Cell Endocrinol 100:143-7. 1994Parathyroid hormone-related protein (PTHrP) was originally identified as a tumor product, but it is now established that PTHrP is expressed in many tissues where it exerts paracrine functions...
- Bcl-2 lies downstream of parathyroid hormone-related peptide in a signaling pathway that regulates chondrocyte maturation during skeletal developmentM Amling
Department of Cell Biology, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06510, USA
J Cell Biol 136:205-13. 1997Parathyroid hormone-related peptide (PTHrP) appears to play a major role in skeletal development. Targeted disruption of the PTHrP gene in mice causes skeletal dysplasia with accelerated chondrocyte maturation (Amizuka, N., H...
- The parathyroid hormone/parathyroid hormone-related peptide receptor coordinates endochondral bone development by directly controlling chondrocyte differentiationU I Chung
Endocrine Unit, Massachusetts General Hospital, 50 Blossom Street, Wellman 501, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 95:13030-5. 1998..Parathyroid hormone-related peptide (PTHrP), its receptor, the PTH/PTHrP receptor, and Indian hedgehog are implicated in the regulation of chondrocyte ..
- Mammary gland serotonin regulates parathyroid hormone-related protein and other bone-related signalsLaura L Hernandez
Department of Molecular and Cellular Physiology, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 302:E1009-15. 2012..among these physiological and pathological states is endocrine secretion of parathyroid hormone-related protein (PTHrP), which acts through osteoblasts to stimulate osteoclastic bone demineralization...
- Structure of the mouse gene encoding parathyroid hormone-related peptideM Mangin
Department of Internal Medicine, Yale University, New Haven, CT 06510
Gene 95:195-202. 1990The parathyroid hormone-related peptide (PTHRP) was initially isolated from tumors associated with the syndrome of humoral hypercalcemia of malignancy...
- Rat parathyroid hormone-like peptide: comparison with the human homologue and expression in malignant and normal tissueT Yasuda
Department of Physiology, McGill University, Montreal, Canada
Mol Endocrinol 3:518-25. 1989....
- Immunohistochemical localization of parathyroid hormone-related protein in developing mouse Meckel's cartilage and mandibleK Yamazaki
2nd Department of Orthodontics, Faculty of Dentistry, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, Japan
Arch Oral Biol 42:787-94. 1997In order to clarify the role of parathyroid hormone-related protein (PTHrP) during Meckel's cartilage and mandibular development, an immunohistochemical study of PTHrP and its receptor, PTH/PTHrP receptor, was designed to examine their ..
- The mouse Y chromosome interval necessary for spermatogonial proliferation is gene dense with syntenic homology to the human AZFa regionS Mazeyrat
INSERM U491, Faculte de Medecine, 27 Boulevard Jean Moulin, 13385 Marseille Cedex 5, France
Hum Mol Genet 7:1713-24. 1998..Our results therefore show that AZFa and Spy may be encoded by homologous genes...
- The parathyroid hormone (PTH)/PTH-related peptide receptor mediates actions of both ligands in murine boneB Lanske
Endocrine Unit, Massachusetts General Hospital, and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
Endocrinology 139:5194-204. 1998PTH and PTH-related peptide (PTHrP) have been shown to bind to and activate the same PTH/PTHrP receptor. Recent studies have demonstrated, however, the presence of additional receptors specific for each ligand...
- Requirement for Pbx1 in skeletal patterning and programming chondrocyte proliferation and differentiationL Selleri
Department of Pathology, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
Development 128:3543-57. 2001..This impacts on the rate of endochondral ossification and bone formation and suggests a mechanistic basis for most of the observed skeletal malformations...
- Parathyroid hormone-related peptide is a naturally occurring, protein kinase A-dependent angiogenesis inhibitorManjiri M Bakre
University of California, San Diego Comprehensive Cancer Center, La Jolla, California, USA
Nat Med 8:995-1003. 2002..These studies show that parathyroid hormone-related peptide is a naturally occurring angiogenesis inhibitor that functions by activation of protein kinase A...
- Overexpression of parathyroid hormone-related protein inhibits pancreatic beta-cell death in vivo and in vitroAna Cebrian
Division of Endocrinology, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pennsylvania 15213, USA
Diabetes 51:3003-13. 2002..Transgenic mice overexpressing parathyroid hormone-related protein (PTHrP) targeted to beta-cells using the rat insulin II promoter (RIP) display hyperinsulinemia, hypoglycemia, and islet ..
- Allele-specific patterns of the mouse parathyroid hormone-related protein: influences on cell adhesion and migrationRoberto Benelli
Molecular Biology Laboratory, Istituto Nazionale per la Ricerca sul Cancro, Genoa, Italy
Oncogene 22:7711-5. 2003..These findings suggest that the cancer modifier effects of the mouse Pthlh gene are mediated by differential cell adhesion and migration effects of PTHrP variants.
- Prevention of acute ischemic renal failure by targeted delivery of growth factors to the proximal tubule in transgenic mice: the efficacy of parathyroid hormone-related protein and hepatocyte growth factorNathalie M Fiaschi-Taesch
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15213, USA
J Am Soc Nephrol 15:112-25. 2004..Parathyroid hormone-related protein (PTHrP) and hepatocyte growth factor (HGF) have been shown to stimulate proliferation in proximal nephron-derived cells...
- Signalling by fibroblast growth factor receptor 3 and parathyroid hormone-related peptide coordinate cartilage and bone developmentNorio Amizuka
Department of Oral Biological Science, Graduate School for Medical and Dental Sciences, Niigata University Faculty of Dentistry, Niigata 951 8514, Japan
Bone 34:13-25. 2004..Parathyroid hormone-related peptide (PTHrP) and fibroblast growth factor receptor 3 (FGFR3) have been shown to play pivotal, and sometimes complementary, ..
- Cardiac chondrosarcoma producing parathyroid hormone-related proteinSatoru Kase
Department of Laboratory Medicine, Tottori Perfectual Central Hospital, Tottori, Japan
Circ J 68:715-8. 2004..The preoperative serum concentrations of C-parathyroid hormone-related protein (PTHrP) and calcium were high (413.2 pmol/L and 12...
- PTHrP induces changes in cell cytoskeleton and E-cadherin and regulates Eph/Ephrin kinases and RhoGTPases in murine secondary trophoblast cellsAhmed H K El-Hashash
Faculty of Life Sciences, University of Manchester, 3 239 Stopford Building, Oxford Road, Manchester M13 9PT, UK
Dev Biol 290:13-31. 2006..5 p.c.-ectoplacental cone (EPC) explant in serum-free culture, we have found parathyroid hormone-related protein (PTHrP) to regulate cellular changes during TGC differentiation...
- Parathyroid hormone hormone-related protein and the PTH receptor regulate angiogenesis of the skinA Godwin Diamond
Department of Medical Sciences, Indiana University School of Medicine, Bloomington, 47405, USA
J Invest Dermatol 126:2127-34. 2006In developing organs, parathyroid hormone (PTH)/parathyroid hormone-related protein (PTHrP) receptor (PPR) signaling inhibits proliferation and differentiation of mesenchyme-derived cell types resulting in control of morphogenic events...
- Functional knockout of the matrilin-3 gene causes premature chondrocyte maturation to hypertrophy and increases bone mineral density and osteoarthritisLouise van der Weyden
Mouse Genomics Lab, Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute, Wellcome Trust Genome Campus, Cambridge, United Kingdom
Am J Pathol 169:515-27. 2006..The lack of Matn3 does not lead to postnatal chondrodysplasia but accounts for higher incidence of osteoarthritis...
- Indian and sonic hedgehogs regulate synchondrosis growth plate and cranial base development and functionBlanche Young
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, PA 19017, USA
Dev Biol 299:272-82. 2006..The cranial base appears to be a skeletal structure in which growth and ossification patterns along its antero-posterior axis are orchestrated by both Ihh and Shh...
- Calcium receptor stimulates chemotaxis and secretion of MCP-1 in GnRH neurons in vitro: potential impact on reduced GnRH neuron population in CaR-null miceNaibedya Chattopadhyay
Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes and Hypertension, Department of Medicine and Membrane Biology Program, Brigham and Women s Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 292:E523-32. 2007..We conclude that the CaR may be a novel regulator of GnRH neuronal migration likely involving, in part, MCP-1...
- Parathyroid hormone-related protein induces cachectic syndromes without directly modulating the expression of hypothalamic feeding-regulating peptidesHirofumi Hashimoto
Department of Physiology, School of Medicine, University of Occupational and Environmental Health, Kitakyushu, Japan
Clin Cancer Res 13:292-8. 2007Parathyroid hormone-related protein (PTHrP) is a causative factor of humoral hypercalcemia of malignancy (HHM) and concurrent anorexia and wasting...
- Overexpression of Smurf2 stimulates endochondral ossification through upregulation of beta-cateninQiuqian Wu
Department of Orthopaedics, Center for Musculoskeletal Research, University of Rochester Medical Center, 601 Elmwood Avenue, Box 665, Rochester, New York 14642, USA
J Bone Miner Res 23:552-63. 2008..The mechanism underlying Smurf2-mediated morphological changes during embryonic development may provide new mechanistic insights and potential targets for prevention and treatment of human osteoarthritis...
- Studies on the mechanisms of the skeletal anabolic action of endogenous and exogenous parathyroid hormoneDavid Goltzman
Department of Medicine, McGill University and McGill University Health Centre, Montreal, Que, Canada
Arch Biochem Biophys 473:218-24. 2008..older animals PTH produces net bone loss in fulfilling its calcium homeostatic role, whereas PTH-related peptide (PTHrP), acting in a paracrine/autocrine mode, is anabolic...
- A mutation in Ihh that causes digit abnormalities alters its signalling capacity and rangeBo Gao
Department of Biochemistry, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, China
Nature 458:1196-200. 2009..Furthermore, we show that in a mouse model that recapitulates the E95K mutation, there is a change in the potency and range of signalling. The mice have digit abnormalities consistent with the human disorder...
- PTHrP prevents chondrocyte premature hypertrophy by inducing cyclin-D1-dependent Runx2 and Runx3 phosphorylation, ubiquitylation and proteasomal degradationMing Zhang
Medical College of Nankai University, Tianjin 300071, PR China
J Cell Sci 122:1382-9. 2009In chondrocytes, PTHrP maintains them in a proliferative state and prevents premature hypertrophy. The mechanism by which PTHrP does this is not fully understood. Both Runx2 and Runx3 are required for chondrocyte maturation...
- Endogenous parathyroid hormone-related protein regulates the expression of PTH type 1 receptor and proliferation of vascular smooth muscle cellsGyun Jee Song
Department of Pharmacology and Chemical Biology, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, E1358 Biomedical Science Tower, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15261, USA
Mol Endocrinol 23:1681-90. 2009The PTH type 1 receptor (PTH1R) and PTHrP are expressed in vessels, where they contribute to regulating vascular smooth muscle cell (VSMC) function. Elevated PTHrP levels in VSMC are often associated with hyperplasia...
- E-selectin ligand-1 regulates growth plate homeostasis in mice by inhibiting the intracellular processing and secretion of mature TGF-betaTao Yang
Department of Molecular and Human Genetics, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
J Clin Invest 120:2474-85. 2010..This study identifies what we believe to be a novel intracellular mechanism for regulating TGF-beta during skeletal development and homeostasis...
- Immunolocalization of PTHrP in the parotid glands of three rodents species: Clethrionomys glareoulus, Microtus arvalis and white Swiss miceElzbieta Czykier
Department of Histology and Embryology, Medical University of Białystok, Poland
Folia Histochem Cytobiol 48:306-10. 2010..The objective of the current study was to investigate the immunolocalization of PTHrP in the parotid gland of three male rodents: 6 common voles (Microtus arvalis, Pallas, 1779), 6 bank voles (..
- Skeletal recovery after weaning does not require PTHrPBeth J Kirby
Faculty of Medicine, Memorial University of Newfoundland, St John s, Newfoundland, Canada
J Bone Miner Res 26:1242-51. 2011..We found that tibial Pthrp mRNA expression was upregulated fivefold by 7 days after weaning versus end of lactation in wild-type (WT) mice...
- The rat, mouse and human genes encoding the receptor for parathyroid hormone and parathyroid hormone-related peptide are highly homologousX F Kong
Endocrine Unit, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 200:1290-9. 1994The organization of the PTH/PTHrP receptor gene is highly homologous in three mammalian species, rat, human and mouse. This gene extends over 22 kb and contains at least 15 exons and 14 introns...
- Cloning of the cDNA for sea bream (Sparus aurata) parathyroid hormone-related proteinJ A Flanagan
Institute of Endocrinology, Division of Biochemical and Musculoskeletal Medicine, The Medical School, Sheffield, United Kingdom
Gen Comp Endocrinol 118:373-82. 2000This paper reports cloning of the cDNA for sea bream (Sparus aurata) parathyroid hormone-related protein (PTHrP). The gene codes for a 125-amino acid mature protein with a 35-residue prepeptide. The total gene sequence is 1...
- Tissue-specific targeting of the pthrp gene: the generation of mice with floxed allelesB He
Division of Endocrinology, Department of Medicine, Lady Davis Institute for Medical Research, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H3T 1E2
Endocrinology 142:2070-7. 2001PTH-related peptide (PTHrP) has been implicated in a variety of developmental and homeostatic processes...
- The calcium-sensing receptor is required for normal calcium homeostasis independent of parathyroid hormoneClaudine H Kos
Renal Division, Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
J Clin Invest 111:1021-8. 2003..Thus, CaR is necessary for the fine regulation of serum calcium levels and renal calcium excretion independent of its effect on PTH secretion...
- The cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitor p57(Kip2) mediates proliferative actions of PTHrP in chondrocytesHelen E MacLean
Endocrine Unit, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
J Clin Invest 113:1334-43. 2004Parathyroid hormone-related peptide (PTHrP) is a positive regulator of chondrocyte proliferation during bone development. In embryonic mice lacking PTHrP, chondrocytes stop proliferating prematurely, with accelerated differentiation...
- Arrested pulmonary alveolar cytodifferentiation and defective surfactant synthesis in mice missing the gene for parathyroid hormone-related proteinLewis P Rubin
Department of Pediatrics, Brown Medical School and Women and Infants Hospital, Providence, Rhode Island 02905 2499, USA
Dev Dyn 230:278-89. 2004Parathyroid hormone-related protein (PTHrP) and PTH/PTHrP receptor expression are developmentally regulated in lung epithelium and adepithelial mesenchyme, respectively...
- Accelerated bone formation and increased osteoblast number contribute to the abnormal tooth germ development in parathyroid hormone-related protein knockout miceY Kitahara
Maxillofacial Orthognathics, Department of Maxillofacial Reconstruction and Function, Division of Maxillofacial Neck Reconstruction, Graduate School, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, Tokyo 113 8549, Japan
Bone 35:1100-6. 2004..5 (E17.5)] and neonatal homozygous parathyroid hormone-related protein (PTHrP)-knockout mice are compressed or penetrated by the surrounding alveolar bone tissue...
- Characterization of mice doubly transgenic for parathyroid hormone-related protein and murine placental lactogen: a novel role for placental lactogen in pancreatic beta-cell survivalYuichi Fujinaka
Division of Endocrinology, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Diabetes 53:3120-30. 2004Transgenic overexpression of either parathyroid hormone-related peptide (PTHrP) or mouse placental lactogen type 1 (mPL1) in pancreatic beta-cells, using the rat insulin II promoter (RIP), results in islet hyperplasia either through ..
- The parathyroid hormone-related protein system and diabetic nephropathy outcome in streptozotocin-induced diabetesA Izquierdo
Laboratory of Renal Physiology and Experimental Nephrology, Department of Physiology, University of Alcala, Alcala de Henares, Spain
Kidney Int 69:2171-7. 2006..hypertrophy, increase urinary albumin excretion (UAE) is still ill-defined. Parathyroid hormone-related protein (PTHrP) is overexpressed in several nephropathies, but its role remains unclear...
- Evc is a positive mediator of Ihh-regulated bone growth that localises at the base of chondrocyte ciliaVictor L Ruiz-Perez
Institute of Human Genetics, Newcastle University, Central Parkway, Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 3BZ, UK
Development 134:2903-12. 2007..We conclude that Evc is an intracellular component of the hedgehog signal transduction pathway that is required for normal transcriptional activation of Ihh target genes...
- THE ROLE OF PTH-RELATED PROTEIN IN TOOTH ERUPTIONWilliam Philbrick; Fiscal Year: 2005..coronal surface of the molars immediately prior to their scheduled eruption through the overlying bone, identifies PTHrP as the "epithelial clock" molecule that was originally proposed to regulate the timing of tooth eruption...
- Cell Cycle Mechanisms of PTH/PTHrP Action in OsteoblastsNABANITA DATTA; Fiscal Year: 2006..Our broad, long-term goal is to identify molecular mechanisms of PTH/PTHrP (PTH related protein) action and bone turnover...
- Small Laboratory Animal Imaging: High Resolution Microcomputed Tomography SystemRAMIRO TORIBIO; Fiscal Year: 2006..Salary and benefits for the Supervisor and Space and utilities for the instrument will be provided by Department of Veterinary Biosciences and the College of Veterinary Medicine. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- TGF-beta Signaling in Mesenchymal ChondroprogenitorsAnna Spagnoli; Fiscal Year: 2007..Understanding the role of TGF-beta in MCC biology will provide a framework for therapeutic manipulations to optimize the use of MCC in cartilage diseases. ..
- PTHrP on normal osteoblast differentiation and functionRAMIRO TORIBIO; Fiscal Year: 2008..His research goals are to investigate the role of parathyroid hormone-related protein (PTHrP) on the commitment of bone marrow stromal cells (BMSCs) to the osteoblastic lineage and on osteoblast function...
- Gene expression networks for metabolic syndrome traits in miceThomas A Drake; Fiscal Year: 2010....