Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Prop1
Description: paired like homeodomain factor 1
Alias: Prop-1, homeobox protein prophet of Pit-1, Ames dwarf, pituitary specific homeodomain factor, prophet of Pit-1
- Pituitary lineage determination by the Prophet of Pit-1 homeodomain factor defective in Ames dwarfismM W Sornson
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, University of California at San Diego, La Jolla 92093, USA
Nature 384:327-33. 1996The gene apparently responsible for a heritable form of murine pituitary-dependent dwarfism (Ames dwarf, df) has been positionally cloned, identifying a novel, tissue-specific, paired-like homeodomain transcription factor, termed Prophet ..
- Developmental regulation of Notch signaling genes in the embryonic pituitary: Prop1 deficiency affects Notch2 expressionL T Raetzman
Human Genetics, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 0638, USA
Dev Biol 265:329-40. 2004..Mutations in the transcription factor Prop1 interfere with pituitary growth and cell specification, although the mechanism is unknown...
- Anterior pituitary cells defective in the cell-autonomous factor, df, undergo cell lineage specification but not expansionP J Gage
Department of Human Genetics, University of Michigan Medical School, Medical Science II M3816, Ann Arbor 48109 0618, USA
Development 122:151-60. 1996The Ames dwarf mouse transmits a recessive mutation (df) resulting in a profound anterior pituitary hypocellularity due to a general lack of thyrotropes, somatotropes and lactotropes...
- The Ames dwarf gene is required for Pit-1 gene activationB Andersen
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, School and Department of Medicine, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla 92093 0648, USA
Dev Biol 172:495-503. 1995..The Ames dwarf (df) exhibits a phenotype identical to that of Pit-1 mutated mice but the defective gene has been mapped to a ..
- Pituitary hypoplasia and respiratory distress syndrome in Prop1 knockout miceIgor O Nasonkin
Department of Human Genetics, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
Hum Mol Genet 13:2727-35. 2004Mutations in Prophet of PIT1 (Prop1), one of several homeodomain transcription factors that are required for the development of the anterior pituitary gland, are the predominant cause of MPHD (multiple pituitary hormone deficiency) in ..
- Dwarf mice and the ageing processH M Brown-Borg
Nature 384:33. 1996
- Prolonged longevity of hypopituitary dwarf miceA Bartke
Department of Physiology, Southern Illinois University School of Medicine, Carbondale, IL 62901 6512, USA
Exp Gerontol 36:21-8. 2001..In this review, we will describe the key phenotypic characteristics of these animals, the evidence that they exhibit delayed aging, and the mechanisms that are suspected to account for their prolonged longevity...
- The Ames dwarf gene, df, is required early in pituitary ontogeny for the extinction of Rpx transcription and initiation of lineage-specific cell proliferationP J Gage
Department of Human Genetics, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor 48109 0618, USA
Mol Endocrinol 10:1570-81. 1996..Later, Pit-1 and hypothalamic neuropeptides act sequentially to regulate marker gene transcription and cell proliferation. These results establish the time of df action in a cascade of genes that regulate pituitary ontogeny...
- Effects of Soy-derived diets on plasma and liver lipids, glucose tolerance, and longevity in normal, long-lived and short-lived miceA Bartke
Department of Physiology, Southern Illinois University School of Medicine, Springfield 62794 9628, USA
Horm Metab Res 36:550-8. 2004..on a low isoflavone or a high isoflavone soy protein isolates in normal, growth-hormone receptor knockout and Ames dwarf, and Prop 1 (df) mice that are hypoinsulinemic, insulin-sensitive, and exceptionally long-lived, as well as in ..
- Increased insulin sensitivity and upregulation of insulin receptor, insulin receptor substrate (IRS)-1 and IRS-2 in liver of Ames dwarf miceF P Dominici
Instituto de Quimica y Fisicoquimica Biologicas, Facultad de Farmacia y Bioquimica, Junin 956, 1113, Buenos Aires, Argentina
J Endocrinol 173:81-94. 2002In the present study we have used hypopituitary Ames dwarf mice, which lack GH, prolactin and TSH, to investigate the consequences of the deficiency of these hormones on glucose homeostasis and on the initial components of the insulin ..
- Role of PROP1 in pituitary gland growthRobert D Ward
Graduate Program in Cellular and Molecular Biology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109 0638, USA
Mol Endocrinol 19:698-710. 2005Mutations in the PROP1 transcription factor gene lead to reduced production of thyrotropin, GH, prolactin, and gonadotropins as well as to pituitary hypoplasia in adult humans and mice...
- Mutations in PROP1 cause familial combined pituitary hormone deficiencyW Wu
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, University of California at San Diego, La Jolla 92093 0648, USA
Nat Genet 18:147-9. 1998..The Ames dwarf (df) mouse displays a similar phenotype, and appears to be epistatic to Snell and Jackson dwarfism...
- Genetic mouse models of extended lifespanHanyu Liang
Department of Physiology, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, 7703 Floyd Curl Drive, MSC 7762, San Antonio, TX 78229 3900, USA
Exp Gerontol 38:1353-64. 2003..However, these mouse models are already providing new information about the mechanism underlying mammalian aging...
- Low body temperature in long-lived Ames dwarf mice at rest and during stressW S Hunter
Department of Physiology, Southern Illinois University School of Medicine, Carbondale 62901, USA
Physiol Behav 67:433-7. 1999..Because Ames dwarf mice (dwarfs) live approximately 1 year longer than their larger normal sex- and age-matched siblings (normals), ..
- Biochemical and genetic characterization of the porcine Prophet of Pit-1 pituitary transcription factorK W Sloop
Department of Biology, Indiana University Purdue University Indianapolis, 723 West Michigan Street, Indianapolis, IN 46202 5132, USA
Mol Cell Endocrinol 168:77-87. 2000....
- HISTOLOGY OF THE ANTERIOR HYPOPHYSIS, THYROID AND GONADS OF TWO TYPES OF DWARF MICEA Bartke
Anat Rec 149:225-35. 1964
- TCF and Groucho-related genes influence pituitary growth and developmentMichelle L Brinkmeier
Department of Human Genetics, University of Michigan Medical School, 4301 MSRBIII, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109 0638, USA
Mol Endocrinol 17:2152-61. 2003Mutations in the prophet of PIT1 gene (PROP1) are the most common cause of multiple pituitary hormone deficiency in humans; however, the mechanism of PROP1 action is not well understood...
- Delayed occurrence of fatal neoplastic diseases in ames dwarf mice: correlation to extended longevityYuji Ikeno
Research Service, Audie Murphy VA Hospital STVHCS, San Antonio, Texas 78229, USA
J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 58:291-6. 2003b>Ames dwarf mice have drawn much attention in aging research because of their marked life extension. Studies demonstrate that some of the physiological characteristics of Ames dwarf mice are similar to those of dietary restricted mice...
- Lhx4 and Prop1 are required for cell survival and expansion of the pituitary primordiaLori T Raetzman
Department of Human Genetics and Graduate Program in Cell and Molecular Biology, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109 0638, USA
Development 129:4229-39. 2002Deficiencies in the homeobox transcription factors LHX4 and PROP1 cause pituitary hormone deficiency in both humans and mice...
- Methionine flux to transsulfuration is enhanced in the long living Ames dwarf mouseEric O Uthus
US Department of Agriculture, ARS, Grand Forks Human Nutrition Research Center, ND 58202 9034, USA
Mech Ageing Dev 127:444-50. 2006Long-lived Ames dwarf mice lack growth hormone, prolactin, and thyroid stimulating hormone. Additionally the dwarf mice have enzyme activities and levels that combat oxidative stress more efficiently than those of normal mice...
- Extending the lifespan of long-lived miceA Bartke
Department of Physiology, School of Medicine, Southern Illinois University, Carbondale, Illinois 62901, USA
Nature 414:412. 2001
- Localization of the panhypopituitary dwarf mutation (df) on mouse chromosome 11 in an intersubspecific backcrossM S Buckwalter
Department of Human Genetics, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor 48109 0618
Genomics 10:515-26. 1991b>Ames dwarf (df) is an autosomal recessive mutation characterized by severe dwarfism and infertility. This mutation provides a mouse model for panhypopituitarism...
- Dwarf locus mutants lacking three pituitary cell types result from mutations in the POU-domain gene pit-1S Li
Department of Chemistry, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla 92093
Nature 347:528-33. 1990..The data indicate that Pit-1 is necessary for the specification of the phenotype of three cell types in the anterior pituitary, and directly link a transcription factor to commitment and progression events in mammalian organogenesis...
- Molecular basis of pituitary dysfunction in mouse and humanL J Cushman
Department of Human Genetics, 4301 MSRBIII, 1500 W Medical Center Drive, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109 0638, USA
Mamm Genome 12:485-94. 2001
- Evidence that Ames dwarf mice age differently from their normal siblings in behavioral and learning and memory parametersB A Kinney
Department of Physiology, Southern Illinois University School of Medicine, Carbondale, Illinois, 62901 6512, USA
Horm Behav 39:277-84. 2001..However, little is known about the Ames dwarf mouse, which has a Prop-1 gene mutation resulting in deficiencies in growth hormone, thyroid-stimulating hormone,..
- Persistent Prop1 expression delays gonadotrope differentiation and enhances pituitary tumor susceptibilityL J Cushman
Department of Human Genetics, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 0638, USA
Hum Mol Genet 10:1141-53. 2001The 'paired'-like homeodomain transcription factor Prop1 is essential for the expansion of the pituitary primordia and for the differentiation and/or function of the hormone-producing cells of the anterior pituitary gland...
- Dietary thyroid hormone replacement ameliorates hearing deficits in hypothyroid miceI Jill Karolyi
Department of Human Genetics, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109 0618, USA
Mamm Genome 18:596-608. 2007..We conclude that TH supplement administered during the critical period of hearing development in mice can prevent deafness associated with congenital hypothyroidism of heterogeneous genetic etiology...
- Assessment of the primary adrenal cortical and pancreatic hormone basal levels in relation to plasma glucose and age in the unstressed Ames dwarf mouseK E Borg
Department of Physiology, School of Medicine, Southern Illinois University, Carbondale 62901 6512, USA
Proc Soc Exp Biol Med 210:126-33. 1995..One such model, the Ames dwarf mouse (df/df), has arisen from an autosomal recessive mutation in which GH-, prolactin- (PRL), and thyroid-..
- Ames dwarf mice exhibit somatotrope commitment but lack growth hormone-releasing factor responseP J Gage
Department of Human Genetics, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor 48109 0618
Endocrinology 136:1161-7. 1995b>Ames dwarf mice have a recessive defect that results in affected mice (df/df) with extremely hypocellular anterior pituitaries that generally lack somatotropes, lactotropes, and thyrotropes...
- Pitx2 is required at multiple stages of pituitary organogenesis: pituitary primordium formation and cell specificationHoonkyo Suh
Neuroscience Program, Department of Human Genetics, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 0638, USA
Development 129:329-37. 2002..expansion of Rathke's pouch and maintaining expression of the fetal-specific transcription factors Hesx1 and Prop1. At later stages Pitx2 is necessary for specification and expansion of the gonadotropes and Pit1 lineage within ..
- Fibroblast cell lines from young adult mice of long-lived mutant strains are resistant to multiple forms of stressAdam B Salmon
Cellular and Molecular Biology Graduate Program, University of Michigan School of Medicine, 1500 E Medical Center Dr, 5316 CCGC 0940, Ann Arbor, MI 48105 0940, USA
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 289:E23-9. 2005..We show here that similar resistance profiles are seen in fibroblast cells derived from a related mutant, the Ames dwarf mouse, and that cells from growth hormone receptor-null mice are resistant to H(2)O(2), paraquat, and UV but not ..
- Growth hormone alters methionine and glutathione metabolism in Ames dwarf miceHolly M Brown-Borg
Department of Pharmacology, Physiology and Therapeutics, University of North Dakota School of Medicine and Health Sciences, 501 N Columbia Road, Grand Forks, ND 58203, USA
Mech Ageing Dev 126:389-98. 2005..b>Ames dwarf mice are GH and IGF-1 deficient and live 50-64% longer than wild type littermates (males and females, ..
- Gonadotropin secretion, synthesis, and gene expression in human growth hormone transgenic mice and in Ames dwarf miceK Tang
Department of Physiology, School of Medicine, Southern Illinois University, Carbondale 62901
Endocrinology 132:2518-24. 1993..For comparison, similar studies were performed in GH and PRL deficient Ames dwarf mice in which plasma gonadotropin levels are known to be reduced...
- Cell proliferation and vascularization in mouse models of pituitary hormone deficiencyRobert D Ward
Graduate Program in Cellular and Molecular Biology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor 48109 0618, USA
Mol Endocrinol 20:1378-90. 2006Mutations in the transcription factors PIT1 (pituitary transcription factor 1) and PROP1 (prophet of Pit1) lead to pituitary hormone deficiency and hypopituitarism in mice and humans...
- Role of prophet of Pit1 (PROP1) in gonadotrope differentiation and pubertyAmanda H Vesper
Department of Human Genetics, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, 48109 0618, USA
Endocrinology 147:1654-63. 2006The prophet of Pit1 (PROP1) gene is essential for normal gonadotropin production in both humans and mice...
- Temporal regulation of a paired-like homeodomain repressor/TLE corepressor complex and a related activator is required for pituitary organogenesisJ S Dasen
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, School and Department of Medicine, University of California San Diego, La Jolla, California 92093, USA
Genes Dev 15:3193-207. 2001....
- Divergent effects of caloric restriction on gene expression in normal and long-lived miceMichal M Masternak
Department of Internal Medicine, Southern Illinois University, School of Medicine, Springfield 62794 9628, USA
J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 59:784-8. 2004Long-lived Ames dwarf mice share many phenotypic characteristics with animals subjected to caloric restriction (CR) but they are not CR mimetics. CR prolongs longevity in both normal and Ames dwarf mice...
- The retardation of aging by caloric restriction: its significance in the transgenic eraJamie L Barger
Wisconsin Primate Research Center and Department of Medicine, University of Wisconsin Madison, Madison, WI 53705, USA
Exp Gerontol 38:1343-51. 2003..In contrast, for nearly all of the genetically abnormal models of lifespan extension, such data are minimal and often unconvincing; additional studies will be required to validate these strains as suitable models for aging research...
- Long-lived Ames dwarf mouse exhibits increased antioxidant defense in skeletal muscleMark A Romanick
Department of Pharmacology, Physiology, and Therapeutics, University of North Dakota School of Medicine and Health Sciences, Grand Forks, ND 58203, USA
Mech Ageing Dev 125:269-81. 2004Resting and exercised (both acute and chronic) hindlimb skeletal muscle from long-lived Ames dwarf and wild type mice at 3, 12, 18, and 24 months of age was tested for antioxidant enzyme activity and protein, non-enzymatic antioxidant ..
- PROP1 triggers epithelial-mesenchymal transition-like process in pituitary stem cellsMaria Ines Perez Millan
Department of Human Genetics, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, United States
elife 5:. 2016Mutations in PROP1 are the most common cause of hypopituitarism in humans; therefore, unraveling its mechanism of action is highly relevant from a therapeutic perspective...
- Effect of every other day feeding diet on gene expression in normal and in long-lived Ames dwarf miceMichal M Masternak
Departments of Internal Medicine and Physiology, Geriatrics Research, Southern Illinois University, School of Medicine, Springfield, IL 62794, USA
Exp Gerontol 40:491-7. 2005b>Ames dwarf mutant mice are long-lived, hypoinsulinemic and hypoglycemic and exhibit enhanced sensitivity to injected insulin...
- Metabolic adaptations to short-term every-other-day feeding in long-living Ames dwarf miceHolly M Brown-Borg
Department of Pharmacology, Physiology and Therapeutics, University of North Dakota School of Medicine and Health Sciences, Grand Forks, ND 58202, USA
Exp Gerontol 48:905-19. 2013..This study employed long living Ames dwarf mice subjected to EOD feeding to examine the adaptations of the oxidative phosphorylation and antioxidative ..
- All Hormone-Producing Cell Types of the Pituitary Intermediate and Anterior Lobes Derive From Prop1-Expressing ProgenitorsShannon W Davis
Department of Biological Sciences S W D, J L K, University of South Carolina, Columbia, South Carolina 29208 and Department of Human Genetics M I P M, V S, S A C, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109
Endocrinology 157:1385-96. 2016Mutations in PROP1, the most common known cause of combined pituitary hormone deficiency in humans, can result in the progressive loss of all hormones of the pituitary anterior lobe...
- Dicer1-miR-328-Bace1 signalling controls brown adipose tissue differentiation and functionMatteo Oliverio
Max Planck Institute for Metabolism Research, D 50931 Cologne, Germany
Nat Cell Biol 18:328-36. 2016....
- Long-lived hypopituitary Ames dwarf mice are resistant to the detrimental effects of high-fat diet on metabolic function and energy expenditureCristal M Hill
Department of Medical Microbiology, Immunology and Cell Biology, Southern Illinois University School of Medicine, Springfield, IL, USA
Aging Cell 15:509-21. 2016..by reducing plasma GH levels significantly improves health span and extends lifespan in mice, as observed in Ames dwarf mice. In addition, these mice have increased adiposity, yet are more insulin sensitive compared to control mice...
- Effects of prolactin (PRL) on pituitary and testicular function in mice with hereditary PRL deficiencyA Bartke
Endocrinology 101:1760-6. 1977
- Hypophysiotropic somatostatin expression during postnatal development in growth hormone-deficient Ames dwarf mice: peptide immunocytochemistryC J Phelps
Department of Anatomy, Tulane University School of Medicine, New Orleans, LA 70112, USA
Neuroendocrinology 64:364-78. 1996..05 or less). Thus, in Ames dwarf mice, as in other GH-deficient models, SRIH is markedly reduced in hypophysiotropic, ME-projecting neurons...
- Influence of hypothalamus and ovary on pituitary function in transgenic mice expressing the bovine growth hormone gene and in growth hormone-deficient Ames dwarf miceV Chandrashekar
Department of Physiology, Southern Illinois University School of Medicine, Carbondale 62901 6512, USA
Biol Reprod 54:1002-8. 1996..To address this issue, female Ames dwarf mice received twice-daily injections of either vehicle or bGH (25 micrograms/injection per mouse) for 12 days...
- Partial transcriptome of the developing pituitary glandK R Douglas
Department of Human Genetics, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109, USA
Genomics 70:335-46. 2000..We present an expression profile of the developing pituitary gland including 83 transcripts, 40% of which are novel. The tissue distribution, cell specificity, and developmental regulation were determined for a subset of the transcripts...
- Pituitary hormones as neurotrophic signals: anomalous hypophysiotrophic neuron differentiation in hypopituitary dwarf miceC J Phelps
Department of Anatomy, Tulane University School of Medicine, New Orleans, Louisiana 70112
Proc Soc Exp Biol Med 206:6-23. 1994..The collective observations indicate that GH and PRL may be regarded as neurotrophic factors for their respective regulatory neurons in the hypothalamus...
- Pax6 is implicated in murine pituitary endocrine functionC A Bentley
Department of Reproductive Medicine, University of California San Diego, La Jolla, USA
Endocrine 10:171-7. 1999....
- Induction of endogenous insulin-like growth factor-I secretion alters the hypothalamic-pituitary-testicular function in growth hormone-deficient adult dwarf miceV Chandrashekar
Department of Physiology, Southern Illinois University School of Medicine, Carbondale 62901 6512
Biol Reprod 48:544-51. 1993..the influence of growth hormone (GH) on hypothalamic-pituitary-testicular function, GH-deficient adult male Ames dwarf mice were treated (s.c.) twice daily for 8 days with either vehicle or bovine GH (25 micrograms/injection/mouse)...
- Transcription factors regulating pituitary developmentJ S Parks
Division of Pediatric Endocrinology and Diabetes, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
Growth Horm IGF Res 9:2-8; discussion 8-11. 1999..The HESX1, PITX1, PITX2, PROP1 and POU1F1 genes are of particular interest because of their recognized or potential associations with human ..
- Candidate genes for panhypopituitarism identified by gene expression profilingAmanda H Mortensen
Department of Human Genetics, Cancer Center, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 5618, USA
Physiol Genomics 43:1105-16. 2011Mutations in the transcription factors PROP1 and PIT1 (POU1F1) lead to pituitary hormone deficiency and hypopituitarism in mice and humans...
- Genetic background of Prop1(df) mutants provides remarkable protection against hypothyroidism-induced hearing impairmentQing Fang
Department of Human Genetics, University of Michigan, 4945 Buhl, 1241 E Catherine St, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 5618, USA
J Assoc Res Otolaryngol 13:173-84. 2012..b>Prop1(df) and Pou1f1(dw) mutant mice carry mutations in different pituitary transcription factors, each resulting in ..
- Aged PROP1 deficient dwarf mice maintain ACTH productionIgor O Nasonkin
Department of Human Genetics, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States of America
PLoS ONE 6:e28355. 2011..of GH, prolactin, and thyroid stimulating hormone have been reported in the Prop1(null) (Prop1(-/-)) and the Ames dwarf (Prop1(df/df)) mouse models, but corticotroph and pituitary adrenal axis function have not been thoroughly ..
- Decreased thyroid follicle size in dwarf mice may suggest the role of growth hormone signaling in thyroid growth regulationAdam Gesing
Department of Oncological Endocrinology, Chair of Endocrinology and Metabolic Diseases, Medical University of Lodz, Lodz, Poland
Thyroid Res 5:7. 2012Altered somatotrophic signaling is among the most important potential mechanisms of extended longevity. Ames dwarf (df/df) mice are homozygous for mutation at the Prop-1 gene, leading to a lack of growth hormone (GH), prolactin and ..
- Analysis of mouse models carrying the I26T and R160C substitutions in the transcriptional repressor HESX1 as models for septo-optic dysplasia and hypopituitarismEzat Sajedi
Neural Development Unit, Institute of Child Health, University College London, London, UK
Dis Model Mech 1:241-54. 2008..Together, these results suggest that the I26T mutation yields a hypomorphic allele, whereas R160C produces a null allele and, consequently, a more severe phenotype in both mice and humans...
- Pituitary transcription factor Prop-1 stimulates porcine pituitary glycoprotein hormone alpha subunit gene expressionTakanobu Sato
Laboratory of Molecular Biology and Gene Regulation, Department of Life Science, School of Agriculture, Meiji University, 1 1 1 Higashi Mita, Tama ku, Kawasaki, Kanagawa 214 8571, Japan
J Mol Endocrinol 37:341-52. 2006..Accordingly, the present observations provide a novel view to understand the hypogonadism caused by Prop-1 defects at the molecular level through the regulatory mechanism of alphaGSU and FSHbeta gene expressions...
- Circulating blood leukocyte gene expression profiles: effects of the Ames dwarf mutation on pathways related to immunity and inflammationJoseph Dhahbi
BioMarker Pharmaceuticals Inc, 5941 Optical Court, San Jose, CA 95138, USA
Exp Gerontol 42:772-88. 2007..Hypopituitary Ames dwarf mice have extended longevity and exhibit many symptoms of delayed aging, although various aspects of immune ..
- Growth hormone and prolactin synthesis in normal and homozygous Snell and Ames dwarf miceM B Slabaugh
Endocrinology 109:1040-6. 1981..It was concluded that in the homozygous condition, both types of dwarf alleles result in failure of the pituitary to initiate GH and PRL synthesis...
- TCF4 deficiency expands ventral diencephalon signaling and increases induction of pituitary progenitorsMichelle L Brinkmeier
University of Michigan, Department of Human Genetics, 4909 Buhl Building, 1241 E Catherine, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 0618, USA
Dev Biol 311:396-407. 2007..Thus, TCF4 is necessary both intrinsically and extrinsically to Rathke's pouch to ensure the proper growth of the pituitary gland...
- Deficiency of dopamine in the median eminence of Snell dwarf miceW W Morgan
Endocrinology 109:2069-75. 1981
- Somatomedin activity in sera of genetically small miceS P Nissley
Horm Metab Res 12:158-64. 1980..GH treatment of the Snell mouse resulted in an increase in somatomedin activity to normal levels...
- Neuroendocrine inhibition of glucose production and resistance to cancer in dwarf miceJ McKee Alderman
University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC 27599, USA
Exp Gerontol 44:26-33. 2009Pit1 null (Snell dwarf) and Proph1 null (Ames dwarf) mutant mice lack GH, PRL and TSH. Snell and Ames dwarf mice also exhibit reduced IGF-I, resistance to cancer and a longer lifespan than control mice...
- Genetic interaction between the homeobox transcription factors HESX1 and SIX3 is required for normal pituitary developmentCarles Gaston-Massuet
Neural Development Unit, Institute of Child Health, University College London, London, UK
Dev Biol 324:322-33. 2008..Our research has revealed a role for Six3 in normal pituitary development, which has likely been conserved during evolution as SIX3 is also expressed in the pituitary gland of the human embryo...
- Accelerated failure time models provide a useful statistical framework for aging researchWilliam R Swindell
Departments of Pathology and Geriatrics, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 2200, USA
Exp Gerontol 44:190-200. 2009..In addition, from the standpoint of aging research, these statistical approaches have appealing properties and provide valuable tools for the analysis of survivorship data...
- Gender-specific alterations in gene expression and loss of liver sexual dimorphism in the long-lived Ames dwarf miceDaniel Amador-Noguez
Molecular and Human Genetics Department, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX, USA
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 332:1086-100. 2005..gender-independent effects of lifespan-extending mutations of the GH/IGF-I axis is currently lacking. The Ames dwarf mice (prop1(df/df)) are GH, prolactin and thyroid-stimulating hormone deficient and exhibit an increase in mean ..
- Ames dwarf (Prop1(df)/Prop1(df)) mice display increased sensitivity of the major GH-signaling pathways in liver and skeletal muscleJohanna G Miquet
Instituto de Química y Fisicoquímica Biológicas UBA CONICET, Facultad de Farmacia y Bioquimica, Universidad de Buenos Aires, Junin 956, 1113 Caba, Argentina
Growth Horm IGF Res 20:118-26. 2010Growth hormone (GH) is an anabolic hormone that regulates growth and metabolism. Ames dwarf mice are natural mutants for Prop1, with impaired development of anterior pituitary and undetectable levels of circulating GH, prolactin and TSH...
- The hippocampus of Ames dwarf mice exhibits enhanced antioxidative defenses following kainic acid-induced oxidative stressSunita Sharma
Department of Pharmacology, Physiology and Therapeutics, University of North Dakota School of Medicine and Health Sciences, Grand Forks, ND 58203, USA
Exp Gerontol 45:936-49. 2010..We have evidence that long-living GH-deficient Ames dwarf mice have enhanced antioxidant protection in the periphery but the protection in the central nervous system is ..
- Prolactin status of hereditary dwarf miceM S Barkley
Endocrinology 110:2088-96. 1982..The lack of PRL-containing cells in the dwarf mouse pituitary may explain why peripheral PRL levels in this animal are below those measured in hypophysectomized mice...
- Analysis of growth hormone genes in mice with genetic defects of growth hormone expressionJ A Phillips
J Endocrinol 92:405-7. 1982Restriction endonuclease analysis of genomic DNA was carried out for three types of dwarf mice (Little, Ames dwarf and Snell dwarf) that have genetic defects in GH expression...
- Heritable formation of pancreatic beta-cell tumours in transgenic mice expressing recombinant insulin/simian virus 40 oncogenesD Hanahan
Nature 315:115-22. 1985..The alpha- and delta-cells normally found in the islets of Langerhans are rare and disordered. Well-vascularized beta-cell tumours arise in mice harbouring and inheriting these hybrid oncogenes...
- Anterior pituitary development: short tales from dwarf miceJ W Voss
Eukaryotic Regulatory Biology Program, University of California, School of Medicine, La Jolla, San Diego 92093 0648
Cell 70:527-30. 1992
- Postnatal reduction in number of hypothalamic tuberoinfundibular dopaminergic neurons in prolactin-deficient dwarf miceC J Phelps
Department of Anatomy, Tulane University School of Medicine, New Orleans, LA 70112
Neuroendocrinology 59:189-96. 1994..In order to determine whether this deficit in adult Ames dwarf mice is congenital or arises postnatally, brains of dwarf (df/df) and normal (DF/?) littermate mice were ..
- Effect of protracted estrogen administration on the thyroid of Ames dwarf miceS Vidal
Department of Anatomy, Laboratory of Histology, University of Santiago de Compostela, Lugo, Spain
Cell Tissue Res 304:51-8. 2001..and cellular composition of the thyroid was examined in genetically thyrotropin (TSH)-deficient female Ames dwarf mice (df/df) to reveal whether estrogen might act independently from TSH...
- Array-based expression analysis of mouse liver genes: effect of age and of the longevity mutant Prop1dfI Dozmorov
Department of Pathology, Institute of Gerontology, and Geriatrics Center, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor 48109 0940, USA
J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 56:B72-80. 2001b>Ames dwarf mice, homozygous for the df allele at the Prop1 locus, live 40% to 70% longer than nonmutant siblings and represent the first single-gene mutant that extends life span in a mammal...
- Catalase expression in delayed and premature aging mouse modelsH M Brown-Borg
Department of Pharmacology, Physiology and Therapeutics, University of North Dakota School of Medicine and Health Sciences, Grand Forks, ND 58203 2817, USA
Exp Gerontol 35:199-212. 2000..Two genetic mouse models of aging, the Ames dwarf and growth hormone (GH) transgenic, suggest that hormone levels may play a role in antioxidative defense and ..
- Mouse growth hormone transcription factor Zn-16: unique bipartite structure containing tandemly repeated zinc finger domains not reported in rat Zn-15T C VanderHeyden
Department of Cell and Molecular Biology, Tulane University, New Orleans, LA 70118 5698, USA
Mol Cell Endocrinol 159:89-98. 2000..of mZn-16 expression by RT-PCR showed that the mRNA is, produced at similar levels in normal and GH-deficient Ames dwarf (Prop-1 <df-/->) mouse pituitaries at postnatal day 1...
- The dwarf mutation decreases high dose insulin responses in skeletal muscle, the opposite of effects in liverFernando P Dominici
Instituto de Química y Fisicoquímica Biológicas IQUIFIB, Facultad de Farmacia y Bioquimica, Junin 956, C1113AAD Buenos Aires, Argentina
Mech Ageing Dev 124:819-27. 2003..The insulin-stimulated phosphorylation of the insulin receptor (IR) was reduced by 55% in Ames dwarf mice, while IR receptor protein content was not altered...
- Pax6 is essential for establishing ventral-dorsal cell boundaries in pituitary gland developmentC Kioussi
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, University of California San Diego, School, Department of Medicine, 9500 Gilman Drive, Cellular and Molecular Medicine Room 345, La Jolla, CA 92093 0648, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 96:14378-82. 1999..We suggest that the transient dorsal expression of Pax6 is essential for establishing a sharp boundary between dorsal and ventral cell types, based on the inhibition of Shh ventral signals...
- A new step understood in the cascade of tissue-specific regulators orchestrating pituitary lineage determination: the Prophet of Pit-1 (Prop-1)A Dutour
Laboratoire de Neuroendocrinologie, INSERM U 297, Marseille, France
Eur J Endocrinol 137:616-7. 1997
- WNT5A signaling affects pituitary gland shapeKelly B Cha
Department of Human Genetics, University of Michigan Medical School, 1500 W Medical Center Drive, 4301 MSRB 3, Ann Arbor, MI 48019 0638, USA
Mech Dev 121:183-94. 2004..b>Prop1 and Hesx1 are also important for normal shape of the pituitary primordium, but their expression is unaltered in ..
- Early effects of streptozotocin-induced diabetes on insulin-like growth factor-I in the kidneys of growth hormone-transgenic and growth hormone-deficient dwarf miceM L Jacobs
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Dijkzigt, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Exp Nephrol 5:337-44. 1997..The aim of this study was to investigate the early changes in kidney IGF-I in experimental diabetes in mice transgenic for bovine GH and in genetically GH-deficient Ames dwarf mice.
- Identification of growth hormone-releasing hormone and somatostatin neurons projecting to the median eminence in normal and growth hormone-deficient Ames dwarf miceM I Romero
Neuroscience Training Program, Tulane University School of Medicine, New Orleans, LA 70112, USA
Neuroendocrinology 65:107-16. 1997In the spontaneous mutant Ames dwarf mouse, GH deficiency coincides with a dramatic increase in the expression of both mRNA and peptide for stimulatory GHRH and reduced expression of GH-inhibitory somatostatin (SRIH) mRNA and peptide...
- Increased neurogenesis in dentate gyrus of long-lived Ames dwarf miceLiou Y Sun
Geriatrics Research, Department of Internal Medicine, Southern Illinois University School of Medicine, Room 4389, 801 North Rutledge, Springfield, Illinois 62794 9628, USA
Endocrinology 146:1138-44. 2005..Multiple trophic factors including IGF-I have been demonstrated to regulate hippocampal neurogenesis. Ames dwarf mice live considerably longer than normal animals and maintain physiological function at youthful levels, ..
- Developmentally regulated expression of the regulator of G-protein signaling gene 2 (Rgs2) in the embryonic mouse pituitaryL D Wilson
Murdoch Childrens Research Institute, Royal Childrens Hospital, Melbourne, VIC 3052, Australia
Gene Expr Patterns 5:305-11. 2005..Pituitary cell differentiation and morphology appeared normal in the Rgs2 mutant animals, suggesting that other Rgs family members with similar activities may be present in the developing pituitary...
- Effects of long-term caloric restriction on glucose homeostasis and on the first steps of the insulin signaling system in skeletal muscle of normal and Ames dwarf (Prop1df/Prop1df) miceDanila Paula Argentino
Facultad de Farmacia y Bioquimica, Instituto de Química y Fisicoquímica Biológicas UBA CONICET, Junin 956, 1113AAD Buenos Aires, Argentina
Exp Gerontol 40:27-35. 2005b>Ames dwarf mice are a model of retarded aging and extended longevity and display enhanced insulin sensitivity. Caloric restriction (CR) and the dwarf mutation have additive effects on lifespan...
- Tbx19, a tissue-selective regulator of POMC gene expressionJ Liu
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, School and Department of Medicine, University of California at San Diego, 9500 Gilman Drive, Cellular and Molecular Medicine West, Room 345, La Jolla, CA 92093 0648, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 98:8674-9. 2001..It is suggested that Tbx19, depending on the presence of synergizing transcription factors, can activate POMC gene expression and repress the alpha glycoprotein subunit and thyroid-stimulating hormone beta promoters...
- Growth hormone-releasing hormone peptide and mRNA are overexpressed in GH-deficient Ames dwarf miceC J Phelps
Department of Anatomy, Tulane University School of Medicine, New Orleans, LA 70112
Endocrinology 133:3034-7. 1993..The results suggest that chronic GH deficiency is accompanied by increased translation as well as transcription of GHRH...
- Endothelial function and vascular oxidative stress in long-lived GH/IGF-deficient Ames dwarf miceAnna Csiszar
Department of Physiology, New York Medical College, Valhalla, NY 10595, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 295:H1882-94. 2008Hypopituitary Ames dwarf mice have low circulating growth hormone (GH)/IGF-I levels, and they have extended longevity and exhibit many symptoms of delayed aging...
- Could a deficiency in growth hormone signaling be beneficial to the aging brain?B A Kinney-Forshee
Department of Physiology, Southern Illinois University School of Medicine, Carbondale, IL 62901 6512
Physiol Behav 80:589-94. 2004..Studies in our laboratory have suggested that both Ames dwarf and GH receptor/GH binding protein knockout (GH-R-KO) mice do not experience age-induced cognitive aging at the ..
- Distinct developmental roles of cell cycle inhibitors p57Kip2 and p27Kip1 distinguish pituitary progenitor cell cycle exit from cell cycle reentry of differentiated cellsSteve Bilodeau
Laboratoire de Genetique Moleculaire, Institut de Recherches Cliniques de Montreal, 110 avenue des Pins Ouest, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Mol Cell Biol 29:1895-908. 2009....
- Pitx2 regulates lung asymmetry, cardiac positioning and pituitary and tooth morphogenesisC R Lin
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Department and School of Medicine, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla 92093, USA
Nature 401:279-82. 1999..Thus, Pitx2 is a transcription factor that encodes 'leftness' of the lung...
- Reduced hypothalamic neuropeptide Y expression in growth hormone- and prolactin-deficient Ames and Snell dwarf miceDavid L Hurley
Department of Cell and Molecular Biology and Neuroscience Program, Tulane University, New Orleans, Louisiana 70118, USA
Endocrinology 144:4783-9. 2003..NPY neuronal number in adult Ames dwarf mice (1048 +/- 104) was significantly (P < 0...
- Long-living Ames dwarf mouse hepatocytes readily undergo apoptosisMelissa A Kennedy
Department of Pharmacology, Physiology, and Therapeutics, University of North Dakota School of Medicine and Health Sciences, 501 N Columbia Road, Grand Forks, ND 58203, USA
Exp Gerontol 38:997-1008. 2003b>Ames dwarf mice live 50-64% longer and exhibit upregulated antioxidative defenses and lower cellular damage when compared to age-matched wild-type littermates...
- Developmental assessment of hypothalamic tuberoinfundibular dopamine in prolactin-deficient dwarf miceC J Phelps
Department of Anatomy, Tulane University School of Medicine, New Orleans, Louisiana 70112
Endocrinology 132:2715-22. 1993Development of the hypophysiotropic hypothalamus in PRL-deficient Ames dwarf (df/df) mice was examined for steady state dopamine (DA) by visualization using formaldehyde-induced catecholamine histofluorescence and by quantification using ..
- FOXL2 in the pituitary: molecular, genetic, and developmental analysisBuffy S Ellsworth
The University of Michigan Medical School, 4909 Buhl Building, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109 0618, USA
Mol Endocrinol 20:2796-805. 2006..Normal FOXL2 expression requires the transcription factors Lhx3 and Lhx4 but not of Prop1. Thus, FOXL2 expression is affected by mutations in early pituitary developmental regulatory genes, and its ..
- Etiology of growth hormone deficiency in little, Ames, and Snell dwarf miceT C Cheng
Endocrinology 113:1669-78. 1983..glands of little mice showed a deficiency or absence of secretory granules within somatotropes, while Snell and Ames dwarf pituitaries lacked identifiable somatotropes...
- Role of GH deficiency on mitochondrial bioenergeticsHolly Brown Borg; Fiscal Year: 2005..Mice with hereditary dwarfism (Ames dwarf) exhibit growth hormone deficiency, delayed aging, enhanced antioxidant defenses and lower oxidative DNA and ..
- 7th Intl Symposium-Neurobiology/Neuroendocrinology/AgingAndrzej Bartke; Fiscal Year: 2004..We are also seeking support for the presenters of the Special Lecture and the Keynote Lecture who will be traveling to Bregenz from the United States. ..
- Aging:Mechanisms & Prevention:34th Annual Meeting of AGEAndrzej Bartke; Fiscal Year: 2005..Financial assistance will be provided to those in training to encourage their participation in the meeting. ..
- Eighth & Ninth International Symposia on Neurobiology & Neuroendocrinology AgingAndrzej Bartke; Fiscal Year: 2007..We are also seeking partial support for the expenses of invited speakers from the United States. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- PINEAL OPIOID RECEPTORS & ANALGESIC ACTION OF MELATONINManuchair Ebadi; Fiscal Year: 2002..Therefore, future research must synthesize highly efficacious melatonin analogues capable of providing maximum analgesia and hopefully being devoid of addiction liability now associated with currently available narcotics. ..
- UBIQUINONE AND MITOCHONDRIAL OXIDATIVE DISORDERS OF AGINManuchair Ebadi; Fiscal Year: 2003..The completion of these studies will undoubtedly provide additional items of information on reactive oxygen species-induced damage of mitochondrial DNA and the protective effects of coenzyme Q10(ubiquinol) to minimize it. ..