Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Prkaa2
Description: protein kinase, AMP-activated, alpha 2 catalytic subunit
Alias: 2310008I11Rik, A830082D05, AMPKalpha2, 5'-AMP-activated protein kinase catalytic subunit alpha-2, ACACA kinase, AMP-activated protein kinase alpha-2 variant B, AMPK subunit alpha-2, HMGCR kinase, acetyl-CoA carboxylase kinase, hydroxymethylglutaryl-CoA reductase kinase, prkaa2
Publications123 found, 100 shown here
- Induced adiposity and adipocyte hypertrophy in mice lacking the AMP-activated protein kinase-alpha2 subunitJosep A Villena
Department of Nutritional Sciences and Toxicology, University of California, Berkeley, CA 94720
Diabetes 53:2242-9. 2004..In the present study, we subjected AMPKalpha2 knockout (KO) mice to a high-fat diet to examine the effect of AMPK on adipose tissue formation...
- AMP-activated protein kinase induces a p53-dependent metabolic checkpointRussell G Jones
Abramson Family Cancer Research Institute, Department of Cancer Biology, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
Mol Cell 18:283-93. 2005..However, persistent activation of AMPK leads to accelerated p53-dependent cellular senescence. Thus, AMPK is a cell-intrinsic regulator of the cell cycle that coordinates cellular proliferation with carbon source availability...
- 5'-AMP-activated protein kinase (AMPK) is induced by low-oxygen and glucose deprivation conditions found in solid-tumor microenvironmentsKeith R Laderoute
SRI International, Bldg L, Rm A258, 333 Ravenswood Ave, Menlo Park, CA 94025, USA
Mol Cell Biol 26:5336-47. 2006..We also showed that AMPK is important for the growth of this tumor model...
- Leptin stimulates fatty acid oxidation and peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor alpha gene expression in mouse C2C12 myoblasts by changing the subcellular localization of the alpha2 form of AMP-activated protein kinaseAtsushi Suzuki
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Department of Developmental Physiology, National Institute for Physiological Sciences, 38 Nishigonaka, Myodaiji, Okazaki, Aichi, Japan
Mol Cell Biol 27:4317-27. 2007..Our data thus suggest that the activation of and changes in the subcellular localization of alpha2AMPK are required for leptin-induced stimulation of fatty acid oxidation and PPARalpha gene expression in muscle cells...
- Upregulation of mitochondrial uncoupling protein-2 by the AMP-activated protein kinase in endothelial cells attenuates oxidative stress in diabetesZhonglin Xie
Division of Endocrinology and Diabetes, Department of Medicine, University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, Oklahoma City, OK, USA
Diabetes 57:3222-30. 2008..The present study was conducted to determine how AMPK activation suppressed tyrosine nitration of prostacyclin synthase in diabetes...
- The L-4F mimetic peptide prevents insulin resistance through increased levels of HO-1, pAMPK, and pAKT in obese miceStephen J Peterson
Department of Pharmacology, New York Medical College, Valhalla, NY 10595, USA
J Lipid Res 50:1293-304. 2009..The anti-obesity effects of L-4F are manifested by a decrease in visceral fat content with reciprocal increases in adiponectin, pAMPK, pAKT, and phosphorylation of insulin receptors with improved insulin sensitivity...
- Compound C inhibits hypoxic activation of HIF-1 independent of AMPKBrooke M Emerling
Division of Signal Transduction, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, MA 02115, USA
FEBS Lett 581:5727-31. 2007..Furthermore, we demonstrate that Compound C functions as a repressor of HIF-1 by inhibiting respiration and suppressing mitochondrial generated ROS...
- Deficiency of insulin-like growth factor 1 reduces sensitivity to aging-associated cardiomyocyte dysfunctionQun Li
Division of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Center for Cardiovascular Research and Alternative Medicine, University of Wyoming, Laramie, WY 82071, USA
Rejuvenation Res 11:725-33. 2008..Our data suggest that regulation of Akt, p53, adenosine monophosphate-activated protein kinase (AMPK) phosphorylation, and Klotho may play a role, at least in part, in IGF-1 deficiency-induced "desensitization" of cardiac aging...
- AMP kinase is required for mitochondrial biogenesis in skeletal muscle in response to chronic energy deprivationHaihong Zong
Howard Hughes Medical Institute and the Departments of Internal Medicine, Cell Biology, and Cellular and Molecular Physiology, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06510, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99:15983-7. 2002..These data demonstrate that by sensing the energy status of the muscle cell, AMPK is a critical regulator involved in initiating mitochondrial biogenesis...
- The AMP-activated protein kinase alpha2 catalytic subunit controls whole-body insulin sensitivityBenoit Viollet
Department of Genetic, Development, and Molecular Pathology, Institut National de la Sante et de la Recherche Medicale INSERM, Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique CNRS, Rene Descartes University, Paris, France
J Clin Invest 111:91-8. 2003..To better understand the physiological role of AMPK, we generated a knockout mouse model in which the AMPKalpha2 catalytic subunit gene was inactivated...
- Physiological role of AMP-activated protein kinase (AMPK): insights from knockout mouse modelsB Viollet
Institut Cochin, Dpt GDPM, 24 Rue du Faubourg Saint Jacques 75014 Paris, France
Biochem Soc Trans 31:216-9. 2003..We suggest that the alpha2 catalytic subunit of AMPK plays a major role as a fuel sensor by modulating the activity of the autonomous nervous system in vivo...
- Akt activity negatively regulates phosphorylation of AMP-activated protein kinase in the heartSuzanne Kovacic
Molecular Cardiology, Whitaker Cardiovascular Institute, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts 02118 2256, USA
J Biol Chem 278:39422-7. 2003..In addition, our data suggest that the ability of insulin to inhibit AMPK may be controlled via an Akt-mediated mechanism...
- Knockout of the alpha2 but not alpha1 5'-AMP-activated protein kinase isoform abolishes 5-aminoimidazole-4-carboxamide-1-beta-4-ribofuranosidebut not contraction-induced glucose uptake in skeletal muscleSebastian B Jørgensen
Copenhagen Muscle Research Centre, Department of Human Physiology, 13 Universitetsparken, University of Copenhagen, DK 2100 Copenhagen, Denmark
J Biol Chem 279:1070-9. 2004..Alternatively, neither alpha-isoform of AMPK is involved in contraction-induced muscle glucose uptake...
- AMP-activated protein kinase alpha2 activity is not essential for contraction- and hyperosmolarity-induced glucose transport in skeletal muscleNobuharu Fujii
Research Division, Joslin Diabetes Center, Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02215, USA
J Biol Chem 280:39033-41. 2005..Muscle contraction- and hyperosmolarity-induced glucose transport may be regulated by a redundant mechanism in which AMPK alpha2 is one of multiple signaling pathways...
- The kinase LKB1 mediates glucose homeostasis in liver and therapeutic effects of metforminReuben J Shaw
Department of Systems Biology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Science 310:1642-6. 2005..Finally, we show that metformin, one of the most widely prescribed type 2 diabetes therapeutics, requires LKB1 in the liver to lower blood glucose levels...
- Activation of the AMP-activated kinase by antidiabetes drug metformin stimulates nitric oxide synthesis in vivo by promoting the association of heat shock protein 90 and endothelial nitric oxide synthaseBradley J Davis
Vascular Research Laboratory, Department of Surgery, Graduate School of Medicine, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, USA
Diabetes 55:496-505. 2006..Taken together, our results indicate that metformin might improve vascular endothelial functions in diabetes by increasing AMPK-dependent, hsp90-mediated eNOS activation...
- Liver adenosine monophosphate-activated kinase-alpha2 catalytic subunit is a key target for the control of hepatic glucose production by adiponectin and leptin but not insulinFabrizio Andreelli
Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale Unité 567, Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique Unite Mixte de Recherche 8104, Universite Rene Descartes Paris 5, France
Endocrinology 147:2432-41. 2006..Here we studied how hepatic AMPKalpha2 isoform affects hepatic glucose production and peripheral glucose uptake in vivo...
- 5-Aminoimidazole-4-carboxamide-1-beta-D-ribofuranoside and metformin inhibit hepatic glucose phosphorylation by an AMP-activated protein kinase-independent effect on glucokinase translocationBruno Guigas
Hormone and Metabolic Research Unit, Institute of Cellular Pathology, UCL 7529, Avenue Hippocrate 75, 1200 Brussels, Belgium
Diabetes 55:865-74. 2006....
- Diet-induced obesity alters AMP kinase activity in hypothalamus and skeletal muscleTonya L Martin
Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes, and Metabolism, Department of Medicine, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02215, USA
J Biol Chem 281:18933-41. 2006..Defective responses of AMPK to leptin may contribute to resistance to leptin action on food intake and energy expenditure in obese states...
- AMPK-mediated AS160 phosphorylation in skeletal muscle is dependent on AMPK catalytic and regulatory subunitsJonas T Treebak
Department of Molecular Medicine and Surgery, Section for Integrative Physiology, Karolinska Institute, von Eulers vag 4, 4th Floor, S 171 77 Stockholm, Sweden
Diabetes 55:2051-8. 2006..Contraction-mediated AS160 phosphorylation was also impaired in alpha2 AMPK KO and KD but not gamma3 AMPK KO mice. Our results implicate AS160 as a downstream target of AMPK...
- Role of AMPKalpha2 in basal, training-, and AICAR-induced GLUT4, hexokinase II, and mitochondrial protein expression in mouse muscleSebastian B Jørgensen
Dept of Human Physiology, Copenhagen Muscle Research Centre, Inst of Exercise and Sport Sciences, 13 Universitetsparken, Univ of Copenhagen, DK 2100 Copenhagen, Denmark
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 292:E331-9. 2007..In both muscle types, AMPKalpha2 activity was increased in response to both stimuli, whereas AMPKalpha1 activity was increased only in response ..
- Skeletal muscle adaptation to exercise training: AMP-activated protein kinase mediates muscle fiber type shiftKatja S C Röckl
Research Division, Joslin Diabetes Center and Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital, and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02215, USA
Diabetes 56:2062-9. 2007..this training-induced shift was reduced by approximately 40% in transgenic mice expressing a muscle-specific AMPKalpha2 inactive subunit. Sedentary mice carrying an AMPK-activating mutation (gamma1TG) showed a 2...
- Activation of 5'-AMP-activated kinase with diabetes drug metformin induces casein kinase Iepsilon (CKIepsilon)-dependent degradation of clock protein mPer2Jee Hyun Um
Laboratory of Biochemical Genetics, NHLBI, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
J Biol Chem 282:20794-8. 2007..We conclude that metformin and AMPK have a previously unrecognized role in regulating the circadian rhythm...
- AMPK is essential for energy homeostasis regulation and glucose sensing by POMC and AgRP neuronsMarc Claret
Centre for Diabetes and Endocrinology, Rayne Institute, University College London, London, United Kingdom
J Clin Invest 117:2325-36. 2007....
- Cardioprotective effects of short-term caloric restriction are mediated by adiponectin via activation of AMP-activated protein kinaseKen Shinmura
Division of Geriatric Medicine, Department of Internal Medicine, Keio University School of Medicine, 35 Shinanomachi, Shinjuku ku, Tokyo, Japan 160 8582
Circulation 116:2809-17. 2007..We have demonstrated that short-term CR improves myocardial ischemic tolerance and increases adiponectin levels. Here, we investigated the specific role of adiponectin in CR-induced cardioprotection...
- Pancreatic LKB1 deletion leads to acinar polarity defects and cystic neoplasmsAram F Hezel
MGH Cancer Center, Simches Research Building, CPZN 4216, 185 Cambridge St, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Mol Cell Biol 28:2414-25. 2008..These genetic studies provide in vivo evidence of a key role for LKB1 in the establishment of epithelial cell polarity that is vital for pancreatic acinar cell function and viability and for the suppression of neoplasia...
- AMPK phosphorylation of raptor mediates a metabolic checkpointDana M Gwinn
Molecular and Cell Biology Laboratory, Dulbecco Center for Cancer Research, Salk Institute for Biological Studies, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Mol Cell 30:214-26. 2008..These findings uncover a conserved effector of AMPK that mediates its role as a metabolic checkpoint coordinating cell growth with energy status...
- Identification of nitric oxide as an endogenous activator of the AMP-activated protein kinase in vascular endothelial cellsJunhua Zhang
Division of Endocrinology and Diabetes, Department of Medicine, University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma 73104, USA
J Biol Chem 283:27452-61. 2008..Taken together, we conclude that NO might act as an endogenous AMPK activator...
- Ablation of AMP-activated protein kinase alpha2 activity exacerbates insulin resistance induced by high-fat feeding of miceNobuharu Fujii
Department of Medicine, Research Division, Joslin Diabetes Center, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Diabetes 57:2958-66. 2008..We determined whether muscle AMP-activated protein kinase (AMPK) has a role in the development of insulin resistance...
- AMP activated protein kinase-alpha2 deficiency exacerbates pressure-overload-induced left ventricular hypertrophy and dysfunction in micePing Zhang
Cardiovascular Division, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN 55455, USA
Hypertension 52:918-24. 2008..To test the hypothesis that AMPKalpha2 protects the heart against systolic overload-induced ventricular hypertrophy and dysfunction, we studied the ..
- AMPK-independent pathways regulate skeletal muscle fatty acid oxidationNicolas Dzamko
St Vincent s Institute, 9 Princes Street, Fitzroy, Victoria 3065, Australia
J Physiol 586:5819-31. 2008..These data demonstrate that AMPK is not essential for the regulation of fatty acid oxidation by AICAR or muscle contraction...
- AMPK regulates basal skeletal muscle capillarization and VEGF expression, but is not necessary for the angiogenic response to exerciseKevin A Zwetsloot
Department of Exercise and Sport Science, East Carolina University, Greenville, NC 27858, USA
J Physiol 586:6021-35. 2008....
- Genetic disruption of AMPK signaling abolishes both contraction- and insulin-stimulated TBC1D1 phosphorylation and 14-3-3 binding in mouse skeletal muscleChristian Pehmøller
Molecular Physiology Group, Copenhagen Muscle Research Centre, Dept of Exercise and Sport Sciences, Univ of Copenhagen, DK 2100, Copenhagen, Denmark
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 297:E665-75. 2009..Thus, TBC1D1 is differentially regulated in response to insulin and contraction. This study provides genetic evidence to support an important role for AMPK in regulating TBC1D1 in response to both of these physiological stimuli...
- Genetic impairment of AMPKalpha2 signaling does not reduce muscle glucose uptake during treadmill exercise in miceStine J Maarbjerg
Department of Exercise and Sport Sciences, Copenhagen Muscle Research Centre, University of Copenhagen, Copenhagen, Denmark
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 297:E924-34. 2009..We studied this in male and female mice overexpressing kinase-dead AMPKalpha2 (AMPK-KD) in skeletal and heart muscles...
- Insulin-stimulated phosphorylation of the Rab GTPase-activating protein TBC1D1 regulates GLUT4 translocationGrantley R Peck
Department of Biochemistry, Dartmouth Medical School, Hanover, New Hampshire 03755, USA
J Biol Chem 284:30016-23. 2009..In conclusion, phosphorylation of TBC1D1 is required for GLUT4 translocation. Thus, the regulation of TBC1D1 resembles that of its paralog, AS160...
- AMPK regulates the circadian clock by cryptochrome phosphorylation and degradationKatja A Lamia
Gene Expression Laboratory, The Salk Institute, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Science 326:437-40. 2009..Thus, phosphorylation by AMPK enables cryptochrome to transduce nutrient signals to circadian clocks in mammalian peripheral organs...
- AMPKalpha2 deletion causes aberrant expression and activation of NAD(P)H oxidase and consequent endothelial dysfunction in vivo: role of 26S proteasomesShuangxi Wang
Section of Endocrinology and Diabetes, Department of Medicine, University of Oklahoma Health Science Center, Oklahoma City, OK 73104, USA
Circ Res 106:1117-28. 2010..Recent studies suggest that AMPK activation improves endothelial function by counteracting oxidative stress in endothelial cells. How AMPK suppresses oxidative stress remains to be established...
- Activation of AMP-activated protein kinase alpha1 alleviates endothelial cell apoptosis by increasing the expression of anti-apoptotic proteins Bcl-2 and survivinChao Liu
Section of Endocrinology and Diabetes, Department of Medicine, University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma 73104, USA
J Biol Chem 285:15346-55. 2010..Finally, we found that genetic deletion of the AMPKalpha1, but not AMPKalpha2, suppressed OGD-enhanced NF-kappaB activation, the expression of Bcl-2 and Survivin, and endothelial apoptosis...
- Metformin inhibits hepatic gluconeogenesis in mice independently of the LKB1/AMPK pathway via a decrease in hepatic energy stateMarc Foretz
Institut Cochin, Universite Paris Descartes, CNRS UMR 8104, Paris, France
J Clin Invest 120:2355-69. 2010..In conclusion, we demonstrate that metformin inhibits hepatic gluconeogenesis in an LKB1- and AMPK-independent manner via a decrease in hepatic energy state...
- Exercise-induced TBC1D1 Ser237 phosphorylation and 14-3-3 protein binding capacity in human skeletal muscleChristian Frøsig
Molecular Physiology Group, Department of Exercise and Sport Sciences, University of Copenhagen, DK 2100 Copenhagen, Denmark
J Physiol 588:4539-48. 2010..Furthermore, we show that the catalytic α2 AMPK subunit is the main (but probably not the only) donor of AMPK activity regulating TBC1D1 Ser237 phosphorylation in mouse EDL muscle...
- AMPK and mTOR regulate autophagy through direct phosphorylation of Ulk1Joungmok Kim
Department of Pharmacology and Moores Cancer Center, University of California at San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92130, USA
Nat Cell Biol 13:132-41. 2011..This coordinated phosphorylation is important for Ulk1 in autophagy induction. Our study has revealed a signalling mechanism for Ulk1 regulation and autophagy induction in response to nutrient signalling...
- Contraction-induced skeletal muscle FAT/CD36 trafficking and FA uptake is AMPK independentJ Jeppesen
Copenhagen Muscle Research Center, Molecular Physiology Group, Section of Human Physiology, University of Copenhagen, Copenhagen, Denmark
J Lipid Res 52:699-711. 2011..However, AMPK could be important in regulation of FAT/CD36 distribution in other physiological situations...
- AMP-activated protein kinase α1 but not α2 catalytic subunit potentiates myogenin expression and myogenesisXing Fu
Department of Animal Sciences, Washington State University, Pullman, Washington, USA
Mol Cell Biol 33:4517-25. 2013..In summary, these results indicate that AMPK activity promotes myogenesis through a mechanism mediated by AMPKα1. ..
- Short-term overexpression of a constitutively active form of AMP-activated protein kinase in the liver leads to mild hypoglycemia and fatty liverMarc Foretz
Institut Cochin, Département de génétique, Developpement et Pathologie Moleculaire, Universite Rene Descartes Paris 5, Institut National de la Sante et de la Recherche Medicale U567, Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique UMR8104, Paris, France
Diabetes 54:1331-9. 2005..specifically in the liver by adenovirus-mediated transfer of a gene encoding a constitutively active form of AMPKalpha2 (AMPKalpha2-CA)...
- AMP-activated protein kinase-independent inhibition of hepatic mitochondrial oxidative phosphorylation by AICA ribosideBruno Guigas
Université catholique de Louvain and Institute of Cellular Pathology, Hormone and Metabolic Research Unit, Brussels, Belgium
Biochem J 404:499-507. 2007..Our data also demonstrate that the cellular effects of AICA riboside are not necessarily caused by AMPK activation and that their interpretation should be taken with caution...
- Reduction of AMP-activated protein kinase alpha2 increases endoplasmic reticulum stress and atherosclerosis in vivoYunzhou Dong
Department of Medicine and Endocrinology, University of Oklahoma Health Science Center, Oklahoma City, OK 73104, USA
Circulation 121:792-803. 2010..The mechanism by which aberrant ER stress develops is poorly understood. This study investigated whether dysfunction of AMP-activated protein kinase (AMPK) causes aberrant ER stress and atherosclerosis in vivo...
- Role of AMPK throughout meiotic maturation in the mouse oocyte: evidence for promotion of polar body formation and suppression of premature activationStephen M Downs
Department of Biological Sciences, Marquette University, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
Mol Reprod Dev 77:888-99. 2010..These data suggest that AMPK is involved in a regulatory capacity throughout maturation and helps promote the completion of meiosis while suppressing premature activation...
- Nitric oxide-induced activation of the AMP-activated protein kinase α2 subunit attenuates IκB kinase activity and inflammatory responses in endothelial cellsElke Bess
Centre for Molecular Medicine, Institute for Vascular Signalling, Goethe University, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
PLoS ONE 6:e20848. 2011..Here, we addressed the effects of AMPK activation/deletion on the activation of NFκB and determined whether the AMPK could contribute to the anti-inflammatory actions of nitric oxide (NO)...
- AMPK protects proximal tubular cells from stress-induced apoptosis by an ATP-independent mechanism: potential role of Akt activationWilfred Lieberthal
Dept of Medicine, Stony Brook Medical Center, 101 Nicholls Rd, Stony Brook, NY 11794 8166, USA
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 301:F1177-92. 2011..Protection by AMPK appears to be due not to AMPK-mediated conservation of cell energy stores, but rather, at least in part, to AMPK-mediated activation of Akt...
- Perivascular adipose tissue control of insulin-induced vasoreactivity in muscle is impaired in db/db miceRick I Meijer
Department of Internal Medicine, VU University Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Diabetes 62:590-8. 2013..PVAT from obese mice inhibits insulin-induced vasodilation, which can be restored by inhibition of JNK...
- Differential regulation of distinct Vps34 complexes by AMPK in nutrient stress and autophagyJoungmok Kim
Department of Oral Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Research Center for Tooth and Periodontal Tissue Regeneration, School of Dentistry, Kyung Hee University, Seoul 130 701, Korea
Cell 152:290-303. 2013..Our study reveals an intricate molecular regulation of Vps34 complexes by AMPK in nutrient stress response and autophagy...
- AMPKα2 exerts its anti-inflammatory effects through PARP-1 and Bcl-6Brendan Gongol
Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Graduate Program, and Division of Biomedical Sciences, University of California, Riverside, CA 92521 0121, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 110:3161-6. 2013..Conversely, AMPKα suppression or knockdown produces the opposite effects. The results demonstrate an anti-infamatory pathway linking AMPK, PARP-1, and Bcl-6 in endothelial cells...
- Selective impairment of P2Y signaling by prostaglandin E2 in macrophages: implications for Ca2+-dependent responsesPaqui G Traves
Departamento de Bioquimica y Biologia Molecular IV, Facultad de Veterinaria e Instituto Universitario de Investigación en Neuroquímica, Instituto de Investigación Sanitaria del Hospital Clínico San Carlos, Universidad Complutense Madrid, 28040 Madrid, Spain
J Immunol 190:4226-35. 2013....
- AMPKα2 translocates into the nucleus and interacts with hnRNP H: implications in metformin-mediated glucose uptakeNami Kim
Department of Anatomy, Korea University College of Medicine, Seoul, Republic of Korea
Cell Signal 26:1800-6. 2014....
- Absence of AMPKα2 accelerates cellular senescence via p16 induction in mouse embryonic fibroblastsYe Ding
Center for Molecular and Translational Medicine, Georgia State University, Atlanta, GA 30303, USA
Int J Biochem Cell Biol 71:72-80. 2016..Taken together, our results suggest that AMPKα2 isoform plays a fundamental role in anti-oxidant stress and anti-senescence. ..
- Metabolic regulation of neuronal plasticity by the energy sensor AMPKWyatt B Potter
Department of Neurology, University of Wisconsin Madison, Madison, Wisconsin, United States of America
PLoS ONE 5:e8996. 2010..Our work opens up the possibility of using modulators of energy metabolism to control neuronal plasticity in diseases and conditions of aberrant plasticity such as epilepsy...
- Activation of AMP-activated protein kinase by vascular endothelial growth factor mediates endothelial angiogenesis independently of nitric-oxide synthaseNadine Stahmann
Institute for Molecular Cell Biology, Center for Molecular Biomedicine, Friedrich Schiller University of Jena, 07745 Jena, Germany
J Biol Chem 285:10638-52. 2010..To investigate the role of AMPK in endothelial function, CaMKKbeta, AMPKalpha1, or AMPKalpha2 was down-regulated by RNA interference, and studies in AMPKalpha1(-/-) mice were performed...
- AMPKalpha1 deletion shortens erythrocyte life span in mice: role of oxidative stressShaobin Wang
Division of Endocrinology and Diabetes, University of Oklahoma Health Science Center, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma 73104, USA
J Biol Chem 285:19976-85. 2010..in murine erythrocytes and mice globally deficient in AMPKalpha1 (AMPKalpha1(-/-)), but not in those lacking AMPKalpha2, and the mice had markedly enlarged spleens with dramatically increased proportions of Ter119-positive erythroid ..
- The asparaginyl hydroxylase factor inhibiting HIF-1alpha is an essential regulator of metabolismNa Zhang
Molecular Biology Section, Division of Biological Sciences, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093, USA
Cell Metab 11:364-78. 2010..These results demonstrate that FIH acts to a significant degree through the nervous system to regulate metabolism...
- Benzo(a)pyrene causes PRKAA1/2-dependent ID2 loss in trophoblast stem cellsYufen Xie
CS Mott Center for Human Growth and Development, Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit, Michigan
Mol Reprod Dev 77:533-9. 2010..The threshold BaP dose that induces significant ID2 loss is in the range of a 2-3 pack/day habit, suggesting that this mechanism may be involved with implantation failure in smoking women...
- Loss of AMP-activated protein kinase alpha2 subunit in mouse beta-cells impairs glucose-stimulated insulin secretion and inhibits their sensitivity to hypoglycaemiaCraig Beall
Biomedical Research Institute, Ninewells Hospital and Medical School, University of Dundee, Dundee DD1 9SY, Scotland, UK
Biochem J 429:323-33. 2010..These results show that AMPK alpha2 activity is necessary to maintain normal pancreatic beta-cell glucose sensing, possibly by maintaining high beta-cell levels of UCP2...
- AMP-activated protein kinase suppresses matrix metalloproteinase-9 expression in mouse embryonic fibroblastsYuki Morizane
Retina Service, Angiogenesis Laboratory, Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary, Department of Ophthalmology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
J Biol Chem 286:16030-8. 2011..Overall, our results suggest that both AMPKα isoforms suppress MMP-9 expression and that both the activity and presence of AMPKα contribute to its function as a regulator of MMP-9 expression by inhibiting the NF-κB pathway...
- Antagonistic control of muscle cell size by AMPK and mTORC1Remi Mounier
Inserm U1016, Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique CNRS, UMR8104, University Paris Descartes, Institut Cochin, Paris, France
Cell Cycle 10:2640-6. 2011..Thus, the crosstalk between AMPK and mTORC1 signaling is a highly regulated way to control changes in muscle growth and metabolic rate imposed by external cues...
- Glucagon regulates ACC activity in adipocytes through the CAMKKβ/AMPK pathwayI Chen Peng
Division of Biomedical Sciences, University of California, Riverside, 92521, USA
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 302:E1560-8. 2012..These results indicate that CaMKKβ/AMPK signaling is an important molecular component in regulating lipid metabolism in adipocytes responding to glucagon and could be a therapeutic target for the dysregulation of energy storage...
- Cells lacking the fumarase tumor suppressor are protected from apoptosis through a hypoxia-inducible factor-independent, AMPK-dependent mechanismChiara Bardella
Department of Oncological Sciences, University of Torino, School of Medicine, Turin, Italy
Mol Cell Biol 32:3081-94. 2012..These findings reveal a new mechanism of tumorigenesis due to FH loss and an unexpected pro-oncogenic role for AMPK that is important in considering AMPK reactivation as a therapeutic strategy against cancer...
- AMP kinase regulation of sugar transport in brain capillary endothelial cells during acute metabolic stressAnthony J Cura
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Pharmacology, University of Massachusetts Medical School, Worcester, USA
Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 303:C806-14. 2012....
- AMPK-dependent phosphorylation of ULK1 regulates ATG9 localizationHildegard I D Mack
Cancer Biology Program, Division of Hematology Oncology, Department of Medicine Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Autophagy 8:1197-214. 2012..Taken together these data identify an ULK1-AMPK signaling cassette involved in regulation of the autophagy machinery...
- AMP-activated protein kinase restricts IFN-γ signalingGordon P Meares
Department of Cell, Developmental, and Integrative Biology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL 35294, USA
J Immunol 190:372-80. 2013..Overall, these findings provide the first link between AMPK and STAT1 and may provide important clues about how bioenergetics and inflammation are linked...
- AMPK is a negative regulator of the Warburg effect and suppresses tumor growth in vivoBrandon Faubert
Department of Physiology, McGill University, Montreal, QC, H3G 1Y6, Canada
Cell Metab 17:113-24. 2013..Together our findings suggest that AMPK activity opposes tumor development and that its loss fosters tumor progression in part by regulating cellular metabolic pathways that support cell growth and proliferation...
- AMPK attenuates microtubule proliferation in cardiac hypertrophyJohn T Fassett
Cardiovascular Division, University of Minnesota Medical School, Minneapolis, MN, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 304:H749-58. 2013....
- Differential regulation of eEF2 and p70S6K by AMPKalpha2 in heartBénédicte Demeulder
Universite Catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherche Expérimentale et Clinique, Pôle de Recherche Cardiovasculaire, Avenue Hippocrate, 55, B1 55 05, 1200 Brussels, Belgium
Biochim Biophys Acta 1832:780-90. 2013..This challenges the accepted notion that mTOR-p70S6K is inhibited by myocardial ischemia mainly via an AMPK-dependent mechanism...
- Glucose metabolism and energy homeostasis in mouse hearts overexpressing dominant negative alpha2 subunit of AMP-activated protein kinaseYanqiu Xing
Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Laboratory for Physiological Chemistry, Cardiovascular Division and Research Division, Joslin Diabetes Center, Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
J Biol Chem 278:28372-7. 2003..Thus, AMPK alpha2 is necessary for maintaining myocardial energy homeostasis during ischemia. It is likely that the functional role of AMPK in myocardial energy metabolism resides both in energy supply and utilization...
- Functional role of AMP-activated protein kinase in the heart during exerciseNicolas Musi
Research Division, Joslin Diabetes Center, One Joslin Place, Boston, MA 02215, USA
FEBS Lett 579:2045-50. 2005..these increases by studying transgenic (TG) mice expressing a cardiac-specific dominant-negative (inactivating) AMPKalpha2 subunit. Exercise increased cardiac AMPKalpha2 activity in the wild type mice but not in TG...
- Estradiol-mediated endothelial nitric oxide synthase association with heat shock protein 90 requires adenosine monophosphate-dependent protein kinaseEberhard Schulz
Evans Memorial Department of Medicine, Whitaker Cardiovascular Institute, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, Mass 02118, USA
Circulation 111:3473-80. 2005..We therefore investigated whether AMPK is activated by estradiol in endothelial cells and plays a role in estradiol-induced eNOS activation...
- Plectin scaffolds recruit energy-controlling AMP-activated protein kinase (AMPK) in differentiated myofibresMartin Gregor
Department of Molecular Cell Biology, Max F Perutz Laboratories, University of Vienna, A 1030 Vienna, Austria
J Cell Sci 119:1864-75. 2006..The distinct plectin expression patterns in different fibre types combined with its involvement in the regulation of isoform compositions of AMPK complexes could provide a mechanism whereby cytoarchitecture influences energy homeostasis...
- AMP-activated protein kinase alpha2 deficiency affects cardiac cardiolipin homeostasis and mitochondrial functionYoni Athea
INSERM U 769, Universite Paris Sud 11, 5 rue J6B Clément, F 92296 Chatenay Malabry, France
Diabetes 56:786-94. 2007..Here, we investigated whether deletion of AMPKalpha2, the main cardiac catalytic isoform, alters mitochondrial function and biogenesis...
- Dual cardiac contractile effects of the alpha2-AMPK deletion in low-flow ischemia and reperfusionKarla Carvajal
INSERM U 769, Faculte de Pharmacie, Universite Paris Sud, Chatenay Malabry, France
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 292:H3136-47. 2007..In conclusion, alpha(2)-AMPK is required for a normal glucose uptake and glycogen content, which protects the heart from the development of the ischemic contracture, but not for contractile recovery in the absence of fatty acids...
- Dissociation of AMP-activated protein kinase and p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase signaling in skeletal muscleRichard C Ho
Research Division, Joslin Diabetes Center, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 362:354-9. 2007..Next, we used transgenic mice expressing an inactive form of the AMPKalpha2 catalytic subunit in skeletal muscle (AMPKalpha2i TG mice)...
- Lack of AMPKalpha2 enhances pyruvate dehydrogenase activity during exerciseDitte K Klein
Copenhagen Muscle Research Centre, Section of Human Physiology, Department of Exercise and Sport Sciences, University of Copenhagen, 13, Universitetsparken, 2100, Copenhagen, Denmark
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 293:E1242-9. 2007..01) and increased AMPKalpha2 activity in wild-type (WT) mice (110%, P < 0...
- Neuroprotective effects of adenosine monophosphate-activated protein kinase inhibition and gene deletion in strokeJun Li
Department of Neurology, University of Connecticut Health Center, Farmington, CT 06030, USA
Stroke 38:2992-9. 2007..In this study, we examined the effects of AMPK inhibition using both pharmacological and genetic approaches in an in vivo stroke model...
- Increased glucose disposal and AMP-dependent kinase signaling in a mouse model of hemochromatosisJingyu Huang
Department of Biochemistry, The University of Utah School of Medicine, Salt Lake City, UT 84132, USA
J Biol Chem 282:37501-7. 2007..Instead, the Hfe(-/-) mice demonstrate increased adiponectin levels and activation of AMP-dependent kinase...
- Identification of protein kinase D as a novel contraction-activated kinase linked to GLUT4-mediated glucose uptake, independent of AMPKJoost J F P Luiken
Department of Molecular Genetics, Cardiovascular Research Institute Maastricht CARIM, Maastricht University, Maastricht, The Netherlands
Cell Signal 20:543-56. 2008..activated under these same conditions, in vitro phosphorylation assays and studies with cardiac myocytes from AMPKalpha2(-/-) mice indicated that activation of PKD occurs independent of AMPK activation...
- Role of AMP-activated protein kinase in autophagy and proteasome functionRosa Viana
Instituto de Biomedicina de Valencia, CSIC, Nutrient signaling, Jaime Roig 11, 46010 Valencia, Spain Centre for Biomedical Research on Rare Diseases CIBERER, Valencia, Spain
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 369:964-8. 2008..On the other hand, AICAR inhibits the proteasomal degradation of proteins by an AMPK-dependent mechanism. This is a novel function of AMPK that allows the regulation of proteasomal activity under conditions of energy demand...
- AMP-activated protein kinase regulates lymphocyte responses to metabolic stress but is largely dispensable for immune cell development and functionAlice Mayer
Laboratoire de Physiologie Animale, Universite Libre de Bruxelles, Gosselies, Belgium
Eur J Immunol 38:948-56. 2008..In conclusion, AMPK represents an important enzyme allowing lymphocytes to resist a mild energy crisis in vitro, but is largely dispensable for activation and expression of effector function in response to antigen stimulation...
- Important role of the LKB1-AMPK pathway in suppressing tumorigenesis in PTEN-deficient miceXu Huang
MRC Protein Phosphorylation Unit, College of Life Sciences, University of Dundee, Dundee DD1 5EH, UK
Biochem J 412:211-21. 2008....
- Resveratrol inhibits cardiac hypertrophy via AMP-activated protein kinase and AktAnita Y M Chan
Cardiovascular Research Group and the Department of Pediatrics, Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
J Biol Chem 283:24194-201. 2008..Taken together, our data suggest that resveratrol exerts anti-hypertrophic effects by activating AMPK via LKB1 and inhibiting Akt, thus suppressing protein synthesis and gene transcription...
- Stimulation of glucose transport in response to activation of distinct AMPK signaling pathwaysMing Jing
Dept of Medicine, Case Western Reserve Univ, 10900 Euclid Ave, Cleveland, OH 44106 4951, USA
Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 295:C1071-82. 2008..We conclude that although azide, hypoxia, and AICAR all activate AMPK, the downstream signaling pathways are distinct, with azide and hypoxia stimulating ERK1/2 and AICAR stimulating the p38 pathway...
- The alpha-subunit of AMPK is essential for submaximal contraction-mediated glucose transport in skeletal muscle in vitroNatalie Lefort
Department of Anatomy, Laval University Hospital Research Center, Quebec, Canada
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 295:E1447-54. 2008..These data demonstrate that AMPK activation is essential for both AICAR and submaximal contraction-induced glucose transport in skeletal muscle but that AMPK-independent mechanisms are also involved...
- Lkb1 is required for TGFbeta-mediated myofibroblast differentiationKari Vaahtomeri
Genome Scale Biology Program, Institute of Biomedicine, Biomedicum Helsinki, P O Box 63, 00014 University of Helsinki, Finland
J Cell Sci 121:3531-40. 2008..These results suggest that tumorigenesis by Lkb1-deficient SM22-positive cells involves defective myogenic differentiation...
- AMP-activated protein kinase functionally phosphorylates endothelial nitric oxide synthase Ser633Zhen Chen
Division of Biomedical Sciences, University of California, Riverside, CA 92521, USA
Circ Res 104:496-505. 2009..The aorta of AMPKalpha2(-/-) mice showed attenuated atorvastatin-induced eNOS phosphorylation...
- Effects of WY-14,643 on the phosphorylation and activation of AMP-dependent protein kinaseSuthat Liangpunsakul
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Department of Medicine, Indiana University School of Medicine and Roudebush Veterans Administration Medical Center, 545 N Barnhill Drive, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
Arch Biochem Biophys 485:10-5. 2009..Whether WY-14,643, a PPARalpha agonist, has any effects on AMPK is not known. The aim of this study was to investigate the effect of WY-14,643 on AMPK activity...
- Human recombinant ACE2 reduces the progression of diabetic nephropathyGavin Y Oudit
Division of Cardiology, Department of Medicine, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Diabetes 59:529-38. 2010..Inhibition of ACE2 function accelerates diabetic kidney injury, whereas renal ACE2 is downregulated in diabetic nephropathy. We examined the ability of human recombinant ACE2 (hrACE2) to slow the progression of diabetic kidney injury...
- PKA phosphorylates and inactivates AMPKalpha to promote efficient lipolysisNabil Djouder
Institute of Cell Biology, ETH Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
EMBO J 29:469-81. 2010..These results suggest a new mechanism of negative regulation of AMPK activity by PKA that is important for converting a lipolytic signal into an effective lipolytic response...
- Positive regulatory control loop between gut leptin and intestinal GLUT2/GLUT5 transporters links to hepatic metabolic functions in rodentsYassine Sakar
INSERM, U773, Centre de recherche Biomedicale Bichat Beaujon, UFR de Médecine Paris 7 Denis Diderot, IFR02 Claude Bernard, Paris, France
PLoS ONE 4:e7935. 2009..In this study, we determine the effects of luminal leptin on activity/expression of GLUT2 and GLUT5 transporters in response to sugars intake and analyse their physiological consequences...
- Non-CDK-bound p27 (p27(NCDK)) is a marker for cell stress and is regulated through the Akt/PKB and AMPK-kinase pathwaysMia A Björklund
Molecular Cancer Biology Program, Biomedicum Helsinki and Haartman Institute, University of Helsinki, Helsinki, Finland
Exp Cell Res 316:762-74. 2010..These results indicate that p27(NCDK) is a sensitive marker for both cell stress and proliferation over and above p27 and is regulated by Akt/PKB and AMPK pathways...
- Ablation of AMP-activated protein kinase alpha1 and alpha2 from mouse pancreatic beta cells and RIP2.Cre neurons suppresses insulin release in vivoG Sun
Section of Cell Biology, Division of Diabetes, Endocrinology and Metabolism, Department of Medicine, Imperial College London, Sir Alexander Fleming Building, Exhibition Road, South Kensington, London, SW7 2AZ, UK
Diabetologia 53:924-36. 2010..AMP-activated protein kinase (AMPK) is an evolutionarily conserved enzyme and a target of glucose-lowering agents, including metformin. However, the precise role or roles of the enzyme in controlling insulin secretion remain uncertain...
- Activation of AMP-activated protein kinase inhibits oxidized LDL-triggered endoplasmic reticulum stress in vivoYunzhou Dong
ection of Endocrinology and Diabetes, University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, USA
Diabetes 59:1386-96. 2010..Here we report that oxidized and glycated LDL (HOG-LDL) causes aberrant endoplasmic reticulum (ER) stress and that the AMP-activated protein kinase (AMPK) suppressed HOG-LDL-triggered ER stress in vivo...
- AMP-activated protein kinase (AMPK) activation regulates in vitro bone formation and bone massM Shah
Department of Veterinary Basic Sciences Royal Veterinary College, Royal College Street, London, NW1 OTU, UK
Bone 47:309-19. 2010..Both cortical and trabecular bone compartments were smaller in the AMPK alpha1-deficient mice compared to the WT mice. Altogether, our data support a role for AMPK signalling in skeletal physiology...
- AMP-activated protein kinase α2 subunit is required for the preservation of hepatic insulin sensitivity by n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acidsTomas Jelenik
Department of Adipose Tissue Biology, Institute of Physiology of the Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic, v v i, Prague, Czech Republic
Diabetes 59:2737-46. 2010..We tested a hypothesis whether AMP-activated protein kinase (AMPK) has a role in the beneficial effects of n-3 LC-PUFAs...
- Isoform-selective 5'-AMP-activated protein kinase-dependent preconditioning mechanisms to prevent postischemic leukocyte-endothelial cell adhesive interactionsF Spencer Gaskin
Departments of Medical Pharmacology and Physiology, University of Missouri, Columbia, 65212, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 300:H1352-60. 2011..In sharp contrast, EPC appears to be triggered by an AMPK α(2)-isoform-dependent mechanism...
- Activation of AMP-activated protein kinase is involved in vincristine-induced cell apoptosis in B16 melanoma cellMin Bin Chen
Department of Medical Oncology, Kunshan First People s Hospital Affiliated to Jiangsu University, Kunshan, Jiangsu Province, China
J Cell Physiol 226:1915-25. 2011..We suggest that combining AMPK activator AICAR with vincristine may have potential to be used as a new therapeutic intervention against melanoma...
- IGF-1, Oxidative Stress and Cardiovascular AgingJun Ren; Fiscal Year: 2002..Our long-term goal is to establish the causal link among IGF-1 deficiency, enhanced oxidative damage and ventricular dysfunction in the progression of cardiovascular aging so that hormonal or antioxidant therapy can be optimized...
- Role of Acetaldehyde in Alcoholic CardiomyopathyJun Ren; Fiscal Year: 2008..Our long-term goal is to establish the toxic mechanism of acetaldehyde in the development of alcoholic cardiomyopathy so that prevention and treatment can be optimized [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- FORMAL METHODS APPLIED TO BIOLOGICAL SIGNALING NETWORKSKeith Laderoute; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Regulation of Mammalian Oocyte MaturationStephen Downs; Fiscal Year: 2007..Furthermore, these studies will benefit the development of in vitro systems where either meiotic arrest or completion of meiotic maturation is the desired endpoint. ..
- Muscle PPARgamma and Metabolic RegulationAndrew Norris; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- HYPOXIC STRESS MECHANISMS IN RADIATION AND CHEMOTHERAPYKeith Laderoute; Fiscal Year: 2009..An understanding of these MTF-1-dependent properties should aid in the development of novel prognostic and new modalities for neoplastic diseases. ..
- ROLE OF AMPK IN TUMOR DEVELOPMENT AND THERAPYKeith R Laderoute; Fiscal Year: 2010..Ultimately, we intend to determine whether the AMPK "emergency stress response" can be exploited for the therapy or prognosis of human cancer. ..