Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Prkaa1
Description: protein kinase, AMP-activated, alpha 1 catalytic subunit
Alias: AI194361, AI450832, AL024255, AMPKalpha1, C130083N04Rik, 5'-AMP-activated protein kinase catalytic subunit alpha-1, ACACA kinase, AMP-activated protein kinase, alpha 1 catalytic subunit, AMPK subunit alpha-1, HMGCR kinase, acetyl-CoA carboxylase kinase, hydroxymethylglutaryl-CoA reductase kinase, tau-protein kinase PRKAA1
Publications131 found, 100 shown here
- Adenosine 5'-monophosphate-activated protein kinase promotes macrophage polarization to an anti-inflammatory functional phenotypeDuygu Sag
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, University of Louisville School of Medicine, Louisville, KY 40292, USA
J Immunol 181:8633-41. 2008..Likewise, expression of a dominant negative AMPKalpha1 in macrophages enhanced TNF-alpha and IL-6 protein synthesis in response to LPS stimulation, while diminishing ..
- Ablation of AMP-activated protein kinase alpha1 and alpha2 from mouse pancreatic beta cells and RIP2.Cre neurons suppresses insulin release in vivoG Sun
Section of Cell Biology, Division of Diabetes, Endocrinology and Metabolism, Department of Medicine, Imperial College London, Sir Alexander Fleming Building, Exhibition Road, South Kensington, London, SW7 2AZ, UK
Diabetologia 53:924-36. 2010..AMP-activated protein kinase (AMPK) is an evolutionarily conserved enzyme and a target of glucose-lowering agents, including metformin. However, the precise role or roles of the enzyme in controlling insulin secretion remain uncertain...
- The PPARβ/δ activator GW501516 prevents the down-regulation of AMPK caused by a high-fat diet in liver and amplifies the PGC-1α-Lipin 1-PPARα pathway leading to increased fatty acid oxidationEmma Barroso
Department of Pharmacology and Therapeutic Chemistry, and Institut de Biomedicina de la University of Barcelona, Barcelona Spain
Endocrinology 152:1848-59. 2011..These findings indicate that the hypotriglyceridemic effect of GW501516 in HFD-fed mice is accompanied by an increase in phospho-AMPK levels and the amplification of the PGC-1α-lipin 1-PPARα pathway...
- Compound C inhibits hypoxic activation of HIF-1 independent of AMPKBrooke M Emerling
Division of Signal Transduction, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, MA 02115, USA
FEBS Lett 581:5727-31. 2007..Furthermore, we demonstrate that Compound C functions as a repressor of HIF-1 by inhibiting respiration and suppressing mitochondrial generated ROS...
- Female mice are more susceptible to nonalcoholic fatty liver disease: sex-specific regulation of the hepatic AMP-activated protein kinase-plasminogen activator inhibitor 1 cascade, but not the hepatic endotoxin responseAstrid Spruss
Department of Nutritional Medicine, University of Hohenheim, Stuttgart, Germany
Mol Med 18:1346-55. 2012..In conclusion, our data suggest that the sex-specific differences in the susceptibility to NAFLD are associated with differences in the regulation of the adiponectin-AMPK-PAI-1 signaling cascade...
- AMP-activated protein kinase inhibits IGF-I signaling and protein synthesis in vascular smooth muscle cells via stimulation of insulin receptor substrate 1 S794 and tuberous sclerosis 2 S1345 phosphorylationJunyu Ning
Department of Medicine, University of North Carolina, School of Medicine, Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27705, USA
Mol Endocrinol 24:1218-29. 2010..Because IGF-I is an important stimulant of the anabolic response, this effect of AMPK could account for part of its inhibitory effect on protein synthesis, thus allowing more efficient energy use by other cellular processes...
- Adiponectin sensitizes insulin signaling by reducing p70 S6 kinase-mediated serine phosphorylation of IRS-1Changhua Wang
Department of Pharmacology, University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio, Texas 78229, USA
J Biol Chem 282:7991-6. 2007..These results indicate that activation of the LKB1/AMPK/TSC1/2 pathway alleviates the p70 S6 kinase-mediated negative regulation of insulin signaling, providing a mechanism by which adiponectin increases insulin sensitivity in cells...
- Chondrocyte autophagy is stimulated by HIF-1 dependent AMPK activation and mTOR suppressionJolene Bohensky
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, PA 19107, USA
Pediatr Nephrol 25:633-42. 2010..Based on these findings, it is concluded that because of the micro-environmental changes experienced by the chondrocyte, autophagy is activated by AMPK in a HIF-1-dependent manner...
- Interactome mapping of the phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase-mammalian target of rapamycin pathway identifies deformed epidermal autoregulatory factor-1 as a new glycogen synthase kinase-3 interactorFanny Pilot-Storck
UMR5239 Laboratoire de Biologie Moléculaire de la Cellule, Ecole Normale Superieure de Lyon, Lyon, France
Mol Cell Proteomics 9:1578-93. 2010..We propose that DEAF1 may represent a therapeutic target of lithium and other GSK3 inhibitors used in bipolar disease and depression...
- Cellular distribution and developmental expression of AMP-activated protein kinase isoforms in mouse central nervous systemA M Turnley
The Walter and Eliza Hall Institute of Medical Research, Royal Melbourne Hospital, Victoria, Australia
J Neurochem 72:1707-16. 1999....
- Physiological role of AMP-activated protein kinase (AMPK): insights from knockout mouse modelsB Viollet
Institut Cochin, Dpt GDPM, 24 Rue du Faubourg Saint Jacques 75014 Paris, France
Biochem Soc Trans 31:216-9. 2003..We suggest that the alpha2 catalytic subunit of AMPK plays a major role as a fuel sensor by modulating the activity of the autonomous nervous system in vivo...
- Knockout of the alpha2 but not alpha1 5'-AMP-activated protein kinase isoform abolishes 5-aminoimidazole-4-carboxamide-1-beta-4-ribofuranosidebut not contraction-induced glucose uptake in skeletal muscleSebastian B Jørgensen
Copenhagen Muscle Research Centre, Department of Human Physiology, 13 Universitetsparken, University of Copenhagen, DK 2100 Copenhagen, Denmark
J Biol Chem 279:1070-9. 2004..Alternatively, neither alpha-isoform of AMPK is involved in contraction-induced muscle glucose uptake...
- The tumor suppressor LKB1 kinase directly activates AMP-activated kinase and regulates apoptosis in response to energy stressReuben J Shaw
Department of Systems Biology, Harvard Medical School, and Division of Signal Transduction, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101:3329-35. 2004..The role of LKB1/AMPK in the survival of a subset of genetically defined tumor cells may provide opportunities for cancer therapeutics...
- AMP-activated protein kinase mediates ischemic glucose uptake and prevents postischemic cardiac dysfunction, apoptosis, and injuryRaymond R Russell
Department of Internal Medicine Section of Cardiovascular Medicine, Yale University School of Medicine, 333 Cedar Street, New Haven, CT 06520, USA
J Clin Invest 114:495-503. 2004..Thus, AMPK is responsible for activation of glucose uptake and glycolysis during low-flow ischemia and plays an important protective role in limiting damage and apoptotic activity associated with ischemia and reperfusion in the heart...
- Anti-lipolytic action of AMP-activated protein kinase in rodent adipocytesMarie Daval
INSERM U671, Centre de Recherches Biomedicales des Cordeliers, Universite Pierre et Marie Curie, 75270 Paris Cedex 06, France
J Biol Chem 280:25250-7. 2005..We conclude that, in mature adipocytes, AMP-activated protein kinase activation has a clear anti-lipolytic effect...
- Calmodulin-dependent protein kinase kinase-beta is an alternative upstream kinase for AMP-activated protein kinaseSimon A Hawley
Division of Molecular Physiology University of Dundee, Dundee, Scotland, United Kingdom
Cell Metab 2:9-19. 2005..Our results suggest a potential Ca(2+)-dependent neuroprotective pathway involving phosphorylation and activation of AMPK by CaMKKbeta...
- The kinase LKB1 mediates glucose homeostasis in liver and therapeutic effects of metforminReuben J Shaw
Department of Systems Biology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Science 310:1642-6. 2005..Finally, we show that metformin, one of the most widely prescribed type 2 diabetes therapeutics, requires LKB1 in the liver to lower blood glucose levels...
- 5-Aminoimidazole-4-carboxamide-1-beta-D-ribofuranoside and metformin inhibit hepatic glucose phosphorylation by an AMP-activated protein kinase-independent effect on glucokinase translocationBruno Guigas
Hormone and Metabolic Research Unit, Institute of Cellular Pathology, UCL 7529, Avenue Hippocrate 75, 1200 Brussels, Belgium
Diabetes 55:865-74. 2006....
- 5'-AMP-activated protein kinase (AMPK) is induced by low-oxygen and glucose deprivation conditions found in solid-tumor microenvironmentsKeith R Laderoute
SRI International, Bldg L, Rm A258, 333 Ravenswood Ave, Menlo Park, CA 94025, USA
Mol Cell Biol 26:5336-47. 2006..We also showed that AMPK is important for the growth of this tumor model...
- Regulation of AMP-activated protein kinase by multisite phosphorylation in response to agents that elevate cellular cAMPRebecca L Hurley
Department of Medicine and Biochemistry, Dartmouth Medical School, Remsen 322, N College St, Hanover, NH 03755, USA
J Biol Chem 281:36662-72. 2006....
- Activation of 5'-AMP-activated kinase with diabetes drug metformin induces casein kinase Iepsilon (CKIepsilon)-dependent degradation of clock protein mPer2Jee Hyun Um
Laboratory of Biochemical Genetics, NHLBI, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
J Biol Chem 282:20794-8. 2007..We conclude that metformin and AMPK have a previously unrecognized role in regulating the circadian rhythm...
- AMPK is essential for energy homeostasis regulation and glucose sensing by POMC and AgRP neuronsMarc Claret
Centre for Diabetes and Endocrinology, Rayne Institute, University College London, London, United Kingdom
J Clin Invest 117:2325-36. 2007....
- Cardioprotective effects of short-term caloric restriction are mediated by adiponectin via activation of AMP-activated protein kinaseKen Shinmura
Division of Geriatric Medicine, Department of Internal Medicine, Keio University School of Medicine, 35 Shinanomachi, Shinjuku ku, Tokyo, Japan 160 8582
Circulation 116:2809-17. 2007..We have demonstrated that short-term CR improves myocardial ischemic tolerance and increases adiponectin levels. Here, we investigated the specific role of adiponectin in CR-induced cardioprotection...
- Pancreatic LKB1 deletion leads to acinar polarity defects and cystic neoplasmsAram F Hezel
MGH Cancer Center, Simches Research Building, CPZN 4216, 185 Cambridge St, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Mol Cell Biol 28:2414-25. 2008..These genetic studies provide in vivo evidence of a key role for LKB1 in the establishment of epithelial cell polarity that is vital for pancreatic acinar cell function and viability and for the suppression of neoplasia...
- AMP-activated protein kinase regulates lymphocyte responses to metabolic stress but is largely dispensable for immune cell development and functionAlice Mayer
Laboratoire de Physiologie Animale, Universite Libre de Bruxelles, Gosselies, Belgium
Eur J Immunol 38:948-56. 2008..Taking advantage of the selective expression of the AMPKalpha1 catalytic subunit in lymphoid cells, we have analyzed the in vitro and in vivo capacity of lymphocytes lacking ..
- Lkb1 deficiency causes prostate neoplasia in the mouseHelen B Pearson
Cardiff University, School of Biosciences, Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
Cancer Res 68:2223-32. 2008..For the first time, this model establishes a link between the tumor suppressor Lkb1 and prostate neoplasia, highlighting a tumor suppressive role within the mouse and raising the possibility of a similar association in the human...
- AMPK phosphorylation of raptor mediates a metabolic checkpointDana M Gwinn
Molecular and Cell Biology Laboratory, Dulbecco Center for Cancer Research, Salk Institute for Biological Studies, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Mol Cell 30:214-26. 2008..These findings uncover a conserved effector of AMPK that mediates its role as a metabolic checkpoint coordinating cell growth with energy status...
- AMPK and PPARdelta agonists are exercise mimeticsVihang A Narkar
Gene Expression Laboratory, Salk Institute, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Cell 134:405-15. 2008..These results demonstrate that AMPK-PPARdelta pathway can be targeted by orally active drugs to enhance training adaptation or even to increase endurance without exercise...
- Metformin enhances the differentiation and mineralization of osteoblastic MC3T3-E1 cells via AMP kinase activation as well as eNOS and BMP-2 expressionIppei Kanazawa
Department of Internal Medicine 1, Shimane University Faculty of Medicine, 89 1 Enya cho, Izumo 693 8501, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 375:414-9. 2008....
- AMPK regulates energy expenditure by modulating NAD+ metabolism and SIRT1 activityCarles Canto
Institut de Genetique et de Biologie Moleculaire et Cellulaire, CNRS INSERM ULP, 67404 Illkirch, France
Nature 458:1056-60. 2009..The AMPK-induced SIRT1-mediated deacetylation of these targets explains many of the convergent biological effects of AMPK and SIRT1 on energy metabolism...
- AMPK regulates the circadian clock by cryptochrome phosphorylation and degradationKatja A Lamia
Gene Expression Laboratory, The Salk Institute, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Science 326:437-40. 2009..Thus, phosphorylation by AMPK enables cryptochrome to transduce nutrient signals to circadian clocks in mammalian peripheral organs...
- Interdependence of AMPK and SIRT1 for metabolic adaptation to fasting and exercise in skeletal muscleCarles Canto
Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne, Switzerland
Cell Metab 11:213-9. 2010....
- Activation of AMP-activated protein kinase alpha1 alleviates endothelial cell apoptosis by increasing the expression of anti-apoptotic proteins Bcl-2 and survivinChao Liu
Section of Endocrinology and Diabetes, Department of Medicine, University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma 73104, USA
J Biol Chem 285:15346-55. 2010..Finally, we found that genetic deletion of the AMPKalpha1, but not AMPKalpha2, suppressed OGD-enhanced NF-kappaB activation, the expression of Bcl-2 and Survivin, and ..
- AMP-activated protein kinase (AMPK) activation regulates in vitro bone formation and bone massM Shah
Department of Veterinary Basic Sciences Royal Veterinary College, Royal College Street, London, NW1 OTU, UK
Bone 47:309-19. 2010..RT-PCR analysis of AMPK subunits in ROS17/2.8 osteoblastic cells and in mouse tibia showed that the AMPKalpha1 subunit is the dominant isoform expressed in bone...
- Metformin inhibits hepatic gluconeogenesis in mice independently of the LKB1/AMPK pathway via a decrease in hepatic energy stateMarc Foretz
Institut Cochin, Universite Paris Descartes, CNRS UMR 8104, Paris, France
J Clin Invest 120:2355-69. 2010..In conclusion, we demonstrate that metformin inhibits hepatic gluconeogenesis in an LKB1- and AMPK-independent manner via a decrease in hepatic energy state...
- Identification of a nuclear export signal in the catalytic subunit of AMP-activated protein kinaseNevzat Kazgan
Neuroscience Center, University of North Carolina Chapel Hill School of Medicine, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 7250, USA
Mol Biol Cell 21:3433-42. 2010..Thus, modulation of CRM1-mediated export of AMPKα via its C-terminal NES provides an additional mechanism for cells to use in the regulation of AMPK activity and localization...
- AMP kinase acts as a negative regulator of RANKL in the differentiation of osteoclastsYoung Sun Lee
Asan Institute for Life Sciences, Seoul 138 736, Republic of Korea
Bone 47:926-37. 2010..AMP-activated protein kinase (AMPK) has been reported to stimulate differentiation and proliferation of osteoblasts, but the role of AMPK in the physiology of osteoclasts has not been investigated...
- Life-long caloric restriction elicits pronounced protection of the aged myocardium: a role for AMPKAndrew G Edwards
Department of Integrative Physiology, University of Colorado, Boulder, CO 80309 0354, USA
Mech Ageing Dev 131:739-42. 2010..18±0.03 vs. LCR, 2.39±0.08 ratio, p<0.05). These results indicate that life-long caloric restriction profoundly protects the aged heart against I/R injury, and suggest that AMPK may play a role in that protection...
- Lkb1 regulates cell cycle and energy metabolism in haematopoietic stem cellsDaisuke Nakada
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Life Sciences Institute, Center for Stem Cell Biology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109 2216, USA
Nature 468:653-8. 2010..Lkb1 is therefore required for HSC maintenance through AMPK-dependent and AMPK-independent mechanisms, revealing differences in metabolic and cell-cycle regulation between HSCs and some other haematopoietic progenitors...
- AMP-activated protein kinase (AMPK) positively regulates osteoblast differentiation via induction of Dlx5-dependent Runx2 expression in MC3T3E1 cellsWon Gu Jang
Department of Pharmacology and Dental Therapeutics and BK21, School of Dentistry, Chonnam National University, Gwangju 500 757, Republic of Korea
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 404:1004-9. 2011..These results suggest that the activation of AMPK stimulates osteoblast differentiation via the regulation of Smad1/5/8-Dlx5-Runx2 signaling pathway...
- Phosphorylation of ULK1 (hATG1) by AMP-activated protein kinase connects energy sensing to mitophagyDaniel F Egan
Molecular and Cell Biology Laboratory, Dulbecco Center for Cancer Research, Salk Institute for Biological Studies, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Science 331:456-61. 2011..These findings uncover a conserved biochemical mechanism coupling nutrient status with autophagy and cell survival...
- AMPK and mTOR regulate autophagy through direct phosphorylation of Ulk1Joungmok Kim
Department of Pharmacology and Moores Cancer Center, University of California at San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92130, USA
Nat Cell Biol 13:132-41. 2011..This coordinated phosphorylation is important for Ulk1 in autophagy induction. Our study has revealed a signalling mechanism for Ulk1 regulation and autophagy induction in response to nutrient signalling...
- AMPK phosphorylates and inhibits SREBP activity to attenuate hepatic steatosis and atherosclerosis in diet-induced insulin-resistant miceYu Li
Department of Medicine, Whitaker Cardiovascular Institute, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, MA 02481, USA
Cell Metab 13:376-88. 2011..AMPK-dependent phosphorylation of SREBP may offer therapeutic strategies to combat insulin resistance, dyslipidemia, and atherosclerosis...
- AMPKα2 deletion exacerbates neointima formation by upregulating Skp2 in vascular smooth muscle cellsPing Song
Section of Molecular Medicine, Department of Medicine, University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, Oklahoma City, 73104, USA
Circ Res 109:1230-9. 2011..Whether AMPKα alters vascular neointima formation induced by vascular injury is unknown...
- Inactivation of AMPKα1 induces asthenozoospermia and alters spermatozoa morphologyPauline Tartarin
Unité Mixte de Recherche UMR 6175, Physiologie de la Reproduction et des Comportements Institut National dela Recherche Agronomique Centre National dela Recherche Scientifique Université Tours Haras Nationaux, 37380 Nouzilly, France
Endocrinology 153:3468-81. 2012..These results suggest that total α1AMPK deficiency in male mice affects androgen production and quality of spermatozoa, leading to a decrease in fertility...
- AMP-activated protein kinase α1 but not α2 catalytic subunit potentiates myogenin expression and myogenesisXing Fu
Department of Animal Sciences, Washington State University, Pullman, Washington, USA
Mol Cell Biol 33:4517-25. 2013..In summary, these results indicate that AMPK activity promotes myogenesis through a mechanism mediated by AMPKα1. ..
- 5'-AMP-activated protein kinase controls insulin-containing secretory vesicle dynamicsTakashi Tsuboi
Henry Wellcome Laboratories for Integrated Cell Signalling and Department of Biochemistry, School of Medical Sciences, University Walk, University of Bristol, Bristol BS8 1TD, United Kingdom
J Biol Chem 278:52042-51. 2003..Overexpression of a truncated, constitutively active form of AMPK (AMPKalpha1, 1-312, T172D; AMPK CA), inhibited glucose-stimulated (30 versus 3...
- AMP-activated protein kinase-independent inhibition of hepatic mitochondrial oxidative phosphorylation by AICA ribosideBruno Guigas
Université catholique de Louvain and Institute of Cellular Pathology, Hormone and Metabolic Research Unit, Brussels, Belgium
Biochem J 404:499-507. 2007..Our data also demonstrate that the cellular effects of AICA riboside are not necessarily caused by AMPK activation and that their interpretation should be taken with caution...
- Resveratrol stimulates AMP kinase activity in neuronsBiplab Dasgupta
Departments of Pathology, Washington University School of Medicine, 660 South Euclid Avenue, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:7217-22. 2007..These findings suggest that neuronal activation of AMPK by resveratrol could affect neuronal energy homeostasis and contribute to the neuroprotective effects of resveratrol...
- Activation of AMP-activated protein kinase in cerebella of Atm-/- mice is attributable to accumulation of reactive oxygen speciesXianghong Kuang
Department of Molecular Carcinogenesis, The University of Texas, MD Anderson Cancer Center, Smithville, TX 78957, United States
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 418:267-72. 2012....
- Leptin activates hepatic 5'-AMP-activated protein kinase through sympathetic nervous system and α1-adrenergic receptor: a potential mechanism for improvement of fatty liver in lipodystrophy by leptinLicht Miyamoto
Department of Medicine and Clinical Science, Kyoto University Graduate School of Medicine, Kyoto University Hospital, 54 Shogoin Kawahara cho, Kyoto 606 8507, Japan
J Biol Chem 287:40441-7. 2012..AMPK activation promotes glucose and lipid metabolism...
- Capsaicin stimulates glucose uptake in C2C12 muscle cells via the reactive oxygen species (ROS)/AMPK/p38 MAPK pathwaySoon Hee Kim
Nutrition and Metabolism Research Group, Korea Food Research Institute, Gyeonggi do 463 746, Republic of Korea
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 439:66-70. 2013..Taken together, these results suggest that capsaicin, independent of insulin, increases glucose uptake via ROS generation and consequent AMPK and p38 MAPK activations...
- AMPK activation regulates neuronal structure in developing hippocampal neuronsS Ramamurthy
Department of Neuroscience, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 855 N Wolfe Street, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA Center for Metabolism and Obesity Research, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 855 N Wolfe Street, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Neuroscience 259:13-24. 2014..These findings demonstrate that the energy-sensing AMPK pathway regulates neuronal structure in distinct regions of developing neurons at multiple stages of development. ..
- Mutant TDP-43 deregulates AMPK activation by PP2A in ALS modelsNirma D Perera
Florey Institute of Neuroscience and Mental Health, University of Melbourne, Parkville, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia Centre for Neuroscience, University of Melbourne, Parkville, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
PLoS ONE 9:e90449. 2014..While AMPK activation in motor neurons correlateswith progressionin mutant SOD1-mediated disease, AMPK inactivation mediated by PP2Ais associated withmutant TDP-43-linked ALS. ..
- Crude extracts from Lycium barbarum suppress SREBP-1c expression and prevent diet-induced fatty liver through AMPK activationWang Li
Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Ningxia Medical University, Yinchuan 750004, China
Biomed Res Int 2014:196198. 2014..In summary, LBP possesses a potential novel treatment in preventing diet-induced fatty liver. ..
- Coordinated translocation of mammalian Gli proteins and suppressor of fused to the primary ciliumHuiqing Zeng
Department of Biology, Eberly College of Science, The Pennsylvania State University, University Park, Pennsylvania, United States of America
PLoS ONE 5:e15900. 2010..Finally, we show that ciliary localization of Sufu is dependent on ciliary-localized Gli proteins, and is inhibited by PKA activation, suggesting a coordinated mechanism for the ciliary translocation of Sufu and Gli proteins...
- Cardiotrophin-1 is a key regulator of glucose and lipid metabolismMaria J Moreno-Aliaga
Department of Nutrition, Food Sciences, Physiology and Toxicology, University of Navarra, 31008 Pamplona, Spain
Cell Metab 14:242-53. 2011..We conclude that CT-1 is a master regulator of fat and glucose metabolism with potential applications for treatment of obesity and insulin resistance...
- AMPK alpha 1-induced RhoA phosphorylation mediates vasoprotective effect of estradiolMarion Gayard
Institut National de la Sante et de la Recherche Medicale, UMR915, Institut du Thorax, Nantes, France
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 31:2634-42. 2011..As evidence accumulates regarding the role of RhoA in vascular pathophysiology and the benefit of RhoA-Rho associated protein kinase (Rock) pathway inhibition, we analyzed if E2 could inhibit it in VSMC...
- Prostaglandin E2 promotes endothelial differentiation from bone marrow-derived cells through AMPK activationZhenjiu Zhu
Key Laboratory of Molecular Cardiovascular Sciences of Education Ministry, Department of Physiology and Pathophysiology, Peking University Health Science Center, Beijing, China
PLoS ONE 6:e23554. 2011..Therefore, by promoting the differentiation and migration of BMCs, PGE2 reinforced their neovascularization by binding to the receptor of EP4 in an AMPK-dependent manner. PGE2 may have clinical value in ischemic heart disease...
- Transforming growth factor-β-activated kinase 1 regulates angiogenesis via AMP-activated protein kinase-α1 and redox balance in endothelial cellsNina Zippel
From the Institute for Vascular Signalling, Centre for Molecular Medicine, Goethe University, Frankfurt, Germany and DZHK German Centre for Cardiovascular Research partner site Rhine Main N Z, R A M, T F, R P, E B, I F, B F and Department of Pharmacology, Max Planck Institute for Heart and Lung Research, Bad Nauheim, Germany B S, N W
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 33:2792-9. 2013..Although TAK1(-/-) mice display defects in developmental vasculogenesis, the role of TAK1 in endothelial cells has not been investigated in detail...
- Role of PrP(C) Expression in Tau Protein Levels and Phosphorylation in Alzheimer's Disease EvolutionC Vergara
Molecular and Cellular Neurobiotechnology, Institute for Bioengineering of Catalonia, Baldiri Reixac 15 21, 08028, Barcelona, Spain
Mol Neurobiol 51:1206-20. 2015..Taken together, these results suggest a protective role for PrP(C) in AD by downregulating tau expression, and they point to this protein as being crucial in the molecular events that lead to neurodegeneration in AD. ..
- AMPK activation inhibits expression of proinflammatory mediators through downregulation of PI3K/p38 MAPK and NF-κB signaling in murine macrophagesBee Piao Huang
1 Department of Pathology, Tungs Taichung Metroharbor Hospital, Taichung, Taiwan
DNA Cell Biol 34:133-41. 2015....
- Activation of p38 in C2C12 myotubes following ATP depletion depends on extracellular glucoseChia George Hsu
School of Applied Physiology, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA, 30332, USA
J Physiol Biochem 71:253-65. 2015..Although p38 is strongly phosphorylated during ATP depletion, this appears to be an indirect consequence of accelerated glycolysis. ..
- AMPKα1 knockout enhances nociceptive behaviors and spinal glutamatergic synaptic activities via production of reactive oxygen species in the spinal dorsal hornDylan W Maixner
Department of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Sciences, The University of Georgia College of Pharmacy, Athens, GA 30602, USA
Neuroscience 326:158-69. 2016..Thus, targeting AMPKα1 may represent an effective approach for the treatment of pathological pain conditions associated with neuroinflammation at the spinal dorsal horn. ..
- AMP-activated protein kinase modulates cardiac autophagy in diabetic cardiomyopathyZhonglin Xie
Section of Molecular Medicine, Department of Medicine, University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, Oklahoma City, OK, USA
Autophagy 7:1254-5. 2011..We conclude that AMPK activation protects cardiac structure and function by increasing cardiac autophagy in the diabetic heart...
- Antagonistic control of muscle cell size by AMPK and mTORC1Remi Mounier
Inserm U1016, Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique CNRS, UMR8104, University Paris Descartes, Institut Cochin, Paris, France
Cell Cycle 10:2640-6. 2011..Thus, the crosstalk between AMPK and mTORC1 signaling is a highly regulated way to control changes in muscle growth and metabolic rate imposed by external cues...
- Glucagon regulates ACC activity in adipocytes through the CAMKKβ/AMPK pathwayI Chen Peng
Division of Biomedical Sciences, University of California, Riverside, 92521, USA
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 302:E1560-8. 2012..These results indicate that CaMKKβ/AMPK signaling is an important molecular component in regulating lipid metabolism in adipocytes responding to glucagon and could be a therapeutic target for the dysregulation of energy storage...
- Molecular mechanisms of estrogen receptors' suppression of lipogenesis in pancreatic β-cellsJoseph P Tiano
Department of Medicine, Division of Endocrinology, Metabolism and Molecular Medicine, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, 303 East Chicago Avenue, Chicago, Illinois 60611, USA
Endocrinology 153:2997-3005. 2012..This study identifies extranuclear ER pathways involving STAT3 and AMP-activated protein kinase in the genetic control of lipogenesis with therapeutic implications to protect β-cells in type 2 diabetes...
- Cells lacking the fumarase tumor suppressor are protected from apoptosis through a hypoxia-inducible factor-independent, AMPK-dependent mechanismChiara Bardella
Department of Oncological Sciences, University of Torino, School of Medicine, Turin, Italy
Mol Cell Biol 32:3081-94. 2012..These findings reveal a new mechanism of tumorigenesis due to FH loss and an unexpected pro-oncogenic role for AMPK that is important in considering AMPK reactivation as a therapeutic strategy against cancer...
- AMP kinase regulation of sugar transport in brain capillary endothelial cells during acute metabolic stressAnthony J Cura
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Pharmacology, University of Massachusetts Medical School, Worcester, USA
Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 303:C806-14. 2012....
- AMPK-dependent phosphorylation of ULK1 regulates ATG9 localizationHildegard I D Mack
Cancer Biology Program, Division of Hematology Oncology, Department of Medicine Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Autophagy 8:1197-214. 2012..Taken together these data identify an ULK1-AMPK signaling cassette involved in regulation of the autophagy machinery...
- AMP-activated protein kinase restricts IFN-γ signalingGordon P Meares
Department of Cell, Developmental, and Integrative Biology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL 35294, USA
J Immunol 190:372-80. 2013..Overall, these findings provide the first link between AMPK and STAT1 and may provide important clues about how bioenergetics and inflammation are linked...
- AMP activated protein kinase is indispensable for myocardial adaptation to caloric restriction in miceKai Chen
Cardiovascular Health Research Center, Sanford Research, University of South Dakota, Sioux Falls, South Dakota, United States of America
PLoS ONE 8:e59682. 2013....
- Metabolic sensor AMPK directly phosphorylates RAG1 protein and regulates V(D)J recombinationJee Hyun Um
Laboratory of Obesity and Aging Research, Genetics and Developmental Biology Center, National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 110:9873-8. 2013..Our results suggest that V(D)J recombination can be regulated by AMPK activation, providing a potential new link between metabolic stress and development of B and T lymphocytes...
- Activation of AMP kinase alpha1 subunit induces aortic vasorelaxation in miceFrançoise Goirand
Universite Paris Sud, IFR 141, Chatenay Malabry, France
J Physiol 581:1163-71. 2007..Rings of thoracic aorta were isolated from C57Bl6 mice and mice deficient in the AMPK catalytic alpha1 (AMPKalpha1-/-) or alpha2 (AMPKalpha2-/-) subunit and their littermate controls, and mounted in an organ bath...
- Quantitative traits for the tail suspension test: automation, optimization, and BXD RI mappingHeena V Lad
Social, Genetic and Developmental Psychiatry Centre PO82, Institute of Psychiatry, King s College London, London, SE5 8AF, United Kingdom
Mamm Genome 18:482-91. 2007..A second trial of the test has greater duration of immobility and a completely different genetic profile. Frequency of mobility is also an independent phenotype, with a distal chromosome 1 locus...
- Control of AMPK-related kinases by USP9X and atypical Lys(29)/Lys(33)-linked polyubiquitin chainsAbdallah K Al-Hakim
MRC Protein Phosphorylation Unit, MSI WTB complex, University of Dundee, Dow Street, Dundee DD1 5EH, Scotland, UK
Biochem J 411:249-60. 2008..The results of the present study demonstrate that NUAK1 and MARK4 are substrates of USP9X and provide the first evidence that AMPK family kinases are regulated by unusual Lys(29)/Lys(33)-linked polyubiquitin chains...
- Role of AMP-activated protein kinase in autophagy and proteasome functionRosa Viana
Instituto de Biomedicina de Valencia, CSIC, Nutrient signaling, Jaime Roig 11, 46010 Valencia, Spain Centre for Biomedical Research on Rare Diseases CIBERER, Valencia, Spain
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 369:964-8. 2008..On the other hand, AICAR inhibits the proteasomal degradation of proteins by an AMPK-dependent mechanism. This is a novel function of AMPK that allows the regulation of proteasomal activity under conditions of energy demand...
- Chronic activation of AMP-activated protein kinase-alpha1 in liver leads to decreased adiposity in miceJian Yang
Department of Physiology, The University of South Alabama College of Medicine, MSB 3074, 307 University Boulevard, Mobile, AL 36688 0002, USA
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 370:248-53. 2008....
- Stretch-induced activation of AMP kinase in the lung requires dystroglycanG R Scott Budinger
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, The Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University, Chicago, Illinois 60611, USA
Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 39:666-72. 2008..These results suggest that exposure to cyclic stretch activates the metabolic sensing pathway AMPK in the lung epithelium and supports a novel role for dystroglycan in this mechanotransduction...
- Autophagy: a new phase in the maturation of growth plate chondrocytes is regulated by HIF, mTOR and AMP kinaseVickram Srinivas
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, PA 19107, USA
Cells Tissues Organs 189:88-92. 2009..Once autophagy is activated, the postmitotic chondrocytes would be expected to remain viable in their unique microenvironment and complete their life cycle...
- Regulation of Cl(-) secretion by AMPK in vivoPatthara Kongsuphol
Department of Physiology, University of Regensburg, Germany
Pflugers Arch 457:1071-8. 2009..Using AMPKalpha1(-/-) mice and wild-type littermates, we demonstrate that phenformin, an activator of AMPK, strongly inhibits ..
- Regulation of erythrocyte survival by AMP-activated protein kinaseMichael Foller
Department of Physiology, University of Tubingen, Tubingen, Germany
FASEB J 23:1072-80. 2009..As compared with erythrocytes from wild-type littermates (ampk(+/+)), erythrocytes from AMPKalpha1-deficient mice (ampk(-/-)) were significantly more susceptible to the eryptotic effect of energy depletion...
- Berberine improves lipid dysregulation in obesity by controlling central and peripheral AMPK activityWoo Sik Kim
Institute of Molecular Biology and Genetics, Department of Biological Sciences, Seoul National University, San 56 1, Sillim dong, Kwanak gu, Seoul 151 742, Korea
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 296:E812-9. 2009..Together, these data suggest that BBR would improve fatty liver in obese subjects, which is probably mediated not only by peripheral AMPK activation but also by neural signaling from the central nervous system...
- Effects of WY-14,643 on the phosphorylation and activation of AMP-dependent protein kinaseSuthat Liangpunsakul
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Department of Medicine, Indiana University School of Medicine and Roudebush Veterans Administration Medical Center, 545 N Barnhill Drive, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
Arch Biochem Biophys 485:10-5. 2009..Whether WY-14,643, a PPARalpha agonist, has any effects on AMPK is not known. The aim of this study was to investigate the effect of WY-14,643 on AMPK activity...
- Important role for AMPKalpha1 in limiting skeletal muscle cell hypertrophyRemi Mounier
INSERM U567, Institut Cochin, Universite Paris Descartes, CNRS UMR 8104, 75014 Paris, France
FASEB J 23:2264-73. 2009..The purpose of this investigation was to determine the role of the AMPKalpha1 catalytic subunit on muscle cell size control and adaptation to muscle hypertrophy...
- Uncoupling of the LKB1-AMPKalpha energy sensor pathway by growth factors and oncogenic BRAFRosaura Esteve-Puig
Animal Models and Cancer Laboratory, Medical Oncology Research Program, Vall d Hebron Research Institute VHIO, Vall d Hebron Hospital, Barcelona, Spain
PLoS ONE 4:e4771. 2009..Additionally, LKB1(Ser428) becomes phosphorylated in a RAS-Erk1/2-p90(RSK) pathway dependent manner. However, the connection between the RAS pathway and LKB1 is mostly unknown...
- Loss of AMPK exacerbates experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis disease severityNarender Nath
Department of Pediatrics, Medical University of South Carolina, SC 29425, USA
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 386:16-20. 2009..b>AMPKalpha1 is predominantly expressed in T cells and antigen presenting cells (APCs), which are primarily involved in EAE ..
- Non-CDK-bound p27 (p27(NCDK)) is a marker for cell stress and is regulated through the Akt/PKB and AMPK-kinase pathwaysMia A Björklund
Molecular Cancer Biology Program, Biomedicum Helsinki and Haartman Institute, University of Helsinki, Helsinki, Finland
Exp Cell Res 316:762-74. 2010..These results indicate that p27(NCDK) is a sensitive marker for both cell stress and proliferation over and above p27 and is regulated by Akt/PKB and AMPK pathways...
- Metabolic regulation of neuronal plasticity by the energy sensor AMPKWyatt B Potter
Department of Neurology, University of Wisconsin Madison, Madison, Wisconsin, United States of America
PLoS ONE 5:e8996. 2010..Our work opens up the possibility of using modulators of energy metabolism to control neuronal plasticity in diseases and conditions of aberrant plasticity such as epilepsy...
- AMP-activated protein kinase (AMPK) cross-talks with canonical Wnt signaling via phosphorylation of beta-catenin at Ser 552Junxing Zhao
Developmental Biology Group, Department of Animal Science, College of Agriculture, University of Wyoming, Laramie, WY 82071, USA
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 395:146-51. 2010....
- AMPKalpha1 deletion shortens erythrocyte life span in mice: role of oxidative stressShaobin Wang
Division of Endocrinology and Diabetes, University of Oklahoma Health Science Center, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma 73104, USA
J Biol Chem 285:19976-85. 2010..Here, we report that AMPKalpha1 is the predominant isoform of AMPK in murine erythrocytes and mice globally deficient in AMPKalpha1 (AMPKalpha1(-..
- The asparaginyl hydroxylase factor inhibiting HIF-1alpha is an essential regulator of metabolismNa Zhang
Molecular Biology Section, Division of Biological Sciences, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093, USA
Cell Metab 11:364-78. 2010..These results demonstrate that FIH acts to a significant degree through the nervous system to regulate metabolism...
- Benzo(a)pyrene causes PRKAA1/2-dependent ID2 loss in trophoblast stem cellsYufen Xie
CS Mott Center for Human Growth and Development, Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit, Michigan
Mol Reprod Dev 77:533-9. 2010..stress-activated protein kinase/jun kinase (MAPK8/9) in embryos, AMP-activated protein kinase alpha1/2 subunits (PRKAA1/2) in somatic cells, and inhibits the proliferation of trophoblast cell lineages...
- SPARC interacts with AMPK and regulates GLUT4 expressionHaiyan Song
Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism, The Second Affiliated Hospital of Harbin Medical University, XueFu Road 246, Harbin 150080, China
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 396:961-6. 2010..These results provide a starting point for efforts to clarify the relationship between AMPK and SPARC, and deepen our understanding of their roles in fat and glucose metabolism...
- Loss of AMP-activated protein kinase alpha2 subunit in mouse beta-cells impairs glucose-stimulated insulin secretion and inhibits their sensitivity to hypoglycaemiaCraig Beall
Biomedical Research Institute, Ninewells Hospital and Medical School, University of Dundee, Dundee DD1 9SY, Scotland, UK
Biochem J 429:323-33. 2010..These results show that AMPK alpha2 activity is necessary to maintain normal pancreatic beta-cell glucose sensing, possibly by maintaining high beta-cell levels of UCP2...
- AMP-activated protein kinase deficiency exacerbates aging-induced myocardial contractile dysfunctionSubat Turdi
Division of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Wyoming, Laramie, WY 82071, USA
Aging Cell 9:592-606. 2010..Collectively, our data suggest a role for AMPK deficiency in aging-induced cardiac dysfunction possibly through disrupted mitochondrial function and ROS production...
- AMP-activated protein kinase positively regulates FGF-2-stimulated VEGF synthesis in osteoblastsKenji Kato
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Nagoya City University Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Nagoya 467 8601, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 400:123-7. 2010..These results strongly suggest that AMPK positively regulates the FGF-2-stimulated VEGF synthesis via p44/p42 MAP kinase and SAPK/JNK in osteoblasts...
- Ser149 is another potential PKA phosphorylation target of Cdc25B in G2/M transition of fertilized mouse eggsJianying Xiao
Institute of Pathology and Pathopysiology, China Medical University, Shenyang, Liaoning Province 110001, China
J Biol Chem 286:10356-66. 2011....
- Functional modulation of AMP-activated protein kinase by cereblonKwang Min Lee
School of Life Sciences and Cell Dynamics Research Center, Gwangju Institute Science and Technology GIST, Gwangju 500 712, Republic of Korea
Biochim Biophys Acta 1813:448-55. 2011..Moreover, AMPK α1 can be potently activated by suppressing endogenous CRBN using CRBN-specific small hairpin RNAs. Thus, CRBN may act as a negative modulator of the AMPK signaling pathway in vivo...
- Isoform-selective 5'-AMP-activated protein kinase-dependent preconditioning mechanisms to prevent postischemic leukocyte-endothelial cell adhesive interactionsF Spencer Gaskin
Departments of Medical Pharmacology and Physiology, University of Missouri, Columbia, 65212, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 300:H1352-60. 2011..In sharp contrast, EPC appears to be triggered by an AMPK α(2)-isoform-dependent mechanism...
- Mitochondrial Regulation of Hyperoxic Cell DeathGR BUDINGER; Fiscal Year: 2005..If oxygen therapy exacerbates lung injury, strategies to minimize hyperoxic exposure might improve outcomes in patients with acute lung injury. ..
- FORMAL METHODS APPLIED TO BIOLOGICAL SIGNALING NETWORKSKeith Laderoute; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Regulation of Mammalian Oocyte MaturationStephen Downs; Fiscal Year: 2007..Furthermore, these studies will benefit the development of in vitro systems where either meiotic arrest or completion of meiotic maturation is the desired endpoint. ..
- HYPOXIC STRESS MECHANISMS IN RADIATION AND CHEMOTHERAPYKeith Laderoute; Fiscal Year: 2009..An understanding of these MTF-1-dependent properties should aid in the development of novel prognostic and new modalities for neoplastic diseases. ..
- ROLE OF AMPK IN TUMOR DEVELOPMENT AND THERAPYKeith R Laderoute; Fiscal Year: 2010..Ultimately, we intend to determine whether the AMPK "emergency stress response" can be exploited for the therapy or prognosis of human cancer. ..