Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Pkm
Description: pyruvate kinase, muscle
Alias: AA414905, AL024370, AL024424, Pk-2, Pk-3, Pk3, Pkm2, pyruvate kinase PKM, pyruvate kinase 3, pyruvate kinase isozymes M1/M2, pyruvate kinase muscle isozyme
- PPARγ contributes to PKM2 and HK2 expression in fatty liverGanna Panasyuk
INSERM, U845, Paris 75015, France
Nat Commun 3:672. 2012....
- The M2 splice isoform of pyruvate kinase is important for cancer metabolism and tumour growthHeather R Christofk
Department of Systems Biology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Nature 452:230-3. 2008..These results demonstrate that M2 expression is necessary for aerobic glycolysis and that this metabolic phenotype provides a selective growth advantage for tumour cells in vivo...
- Pyruvate kinase M2 is a phosphotyrosine-binding proteinHeather R Christofk
Department of Systems Biology
Nature 452:181-6. 2008..have made the observation that an enzyme involved in glycolysis, the human M2 (fetal) isoform of pyruvate kinase (PKM2), binds directly and selectively to tyrosine-phosphorylated peptides...
- Germline loss of PKM2 promotes metabolic distress and hepatocellular carcinomaTalya L Dayton
David H Koch Institute for Integrative Cancer Research, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02139, USA Department of Biology, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02139, USA
Genes Dev 30:1020-33. 2016Alternative splicing of the Pkm gene product generates the PKM1 and PKM2 isoforms of pyruvate kinase (PK), and PKM2 expression is closely linked to embryogenesis, tissue regeneration, and cancer...
- PTB deficiency causes the loss of adherens junctions in the dorsal telencephalon and leads to lethal hydrocephalusTakayuki Shibasaki
Laboratory of Developmental Genetics, Center for Experimental Medicine and Systems Biology, University of Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan
Cereb Cortex 23:1824-35. 2013..5. These findings demonstrated that PTB depletion in the dorsal telencephalon is causally involved in the development of HC and that PTB is important for the maintenance of AJs in the NSCs of the dorsal telencephalon. ..
- Transcriptomic analysis of PNN- and ESRP1-regulated alternative pre-mRNA splicing in human corneal epithelial cellsJeong Hoon Joo
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, University of Florida College of Medicine, Gainesville, Florida 32610, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 54:697-707. 2013..We investigated the impact of PININ (PNN) and epithelial splicing regulatory protein 1 (ESRP1) on alternative pre-mRNA splicing in the corneal epithelial context...
- Reexpression of pyruvate kinase M2 in type 1 myofibers correlates with altered glucose metabolism in myotonic dystrophyZhihua Gao
Department of Pathology and Immunology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 110:13570-5. 2013..Here we report that the embryonic M2 isoform of pyruvate kinase (PKM2), a key enzyme contributing to the Warburg effect in cancer, is significantly induced in DM1 tissue and mouse ..
- STAT6 promotes bi-directional modulation of PKM2 in liver and adipose inflammatory cells in rosiglitazone-treated miceTatjana Sajic
Department of Cellular Physiology and Metabolism, Faculty of Medicine, University of Geneva, 1 rue Michel Servet, Geneva 4, Switzerland
Sci Rep 3:2350. 2013..we compared liver proteomes of RSG-treated wild type and STAT6-deficient mice and we identified pyruvate kinase M2 (PKM2), a glycolysis and proliferation-regulating enzyme that displayed STAT6-dependent expression...
- Direct measurements of oscillatory glycolysis in pancreatic islet β-cells using novel fluorescence resonance energy transfer (FRET) biosensors for pyruvate kinase M2 activityMatthew J Merrins
From the Department of Pharmacology and Brehm Center for Diabetes Research, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48105
J Biol Chem 288:33312-22. 2013..in mitochondrial redox potential stimulated by 10 mm glucose are in phase with glycolytic efflux through PKM2, measured simultaneously from neighboring islet β-cells expressing PKAR...
- Isoform-specific interaction of pyruvate kinase with hepatitis C virus NS5BXiaoyun Wu
State Key Laboratory of Virology, the Modern Virology Research Center, College of Life Sciences, Wuhan University, Wuhan, PR China
FEBS Lett 582:2155-60. 2008..Furthermore shRNA which specifically down-regulated M2PK expression could inhibit the replication of HCV in HCV replicon 9B cells...
- PKM2 isoform-specific deletion reveals a differential requirement for pyruvate kinase in tumor cellsWilliam J Israelsen
Koch Institute for Integrative Cancer Research at Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA
Cell 155:397-409. 2013The pyruvate kinase M2 isoform (PKM2) is expressed in cancer and plays a role in regulating anabolic metabolism...
- Mitogenic and oncogenic stimulation of K433 acetylation promotes PKM2 protein kinase activity and nuclear localizationLei Lv
Key Laboratory of Molecular Medicine, Ministry of Education, and Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Fudan University Shanghai Medical College, Shanghai 200032, People s Republic of China Molecular and Cell Biology Lab, Institutes of Biomedical Sciences, Fudan University, Shanghai 200032, People s Republic of China School of Life Sciences, Fudan University 200032, People s Republic of China
Mol Cell 52:340-52. 2013Alternative splicing of the PKM2 gene produces two isoforms, M1 and M2, which are preferentially expressed in adult and embryonic tissues, respectively...
- Anchorless 23-230 PrPC interactomics for elucidation of PrPC protective roleSaima Zafar
Department of Neurology, University Medical Center Göttingen UMG, Robert Koch Str 40, 37075, Gottingen, Germany
Mol Neurobiol 49:1385-99. 2014..Out of the 23 proteins, one novel protein, pyruvate kinase isozymes M1/M2 (PKM2), exhibited a potential interaction with the anchorless Δ23-230 form of PrPC...
- Missense mutations in pyruvate kinase M2 promote cancer metabolism, oxidative endurance, anchorage independence, and tumor growth in a dominant negative mannerMohd Askandar Iqbal
From the National Centre of Applied Human Genetics, School of Life Sciences, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Mehrauli Road, New Delhi, 110067 India
J Biol Chem 289:8098-105. 2014..Cells stably expressing exogenous wild-type or mutant PKM2 (K422R or H391Y) or co-expressing both wild type and mutant (PKM2-K422R or PKM2-H391Y) were assessed for cancer ..
- Please keep me 2uned to PKM2Steven L McKnight
Department of Biochemistry, UT Southwestern Medical Center, 5323 Harry Hines Boulevard, Dallas, TX 75390 9152, USA Electronic address
Mol Cell 53:683-4. 2014In this issue of Molecular Cell, Keller et al. (2014) found that binding of the metabolite SAICAR to PKM2 induces the protein kinase activity of an enzyme normally designed to terminate the glycolytic pathway.
- Pyruvate kinase M2 regulates apoptosis of intestinal epithelial cells in Crohn's diseaseQiyun Tang
Department of Gastroenterology, First Affiliated Hospital of Nanjing Medical University, 300 Guangzhou Road, Nanjing, 210029, Jiangsu, China
Dig Dis Sci 60:393-404. 2015Pyruvate kinase M2 (PKM2), a key glycolytic enzyme, is involved in multiple cellular processes including apoptosis...
- Analysis of Presenilin 1 and 2 interacting proteins in mouse cerebral cortex during developmentAshish Kumar
Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Laboratory, Brain Research Centre, Department of Zoology, Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi 221 005, India
Int J Dev Neurosci 38:138-46. 2014....
- Cell-state-specific metabolic dependency in hematopoiesis and leukemogenesisYing Hua Wang
Center for Regenerative Medicine and Cancer Center, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA 02114, USA Harvard Stem Cell Institute, Cambridge, MA 02114, USA Department of Stem Cell and Regenerative Biology, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA 02138, USA
Cell 158:1309-23. 2014..We find that a deficiency in the M2 pyruvate kinase isoform (PKM2) reduces the levels of metabolic intermediates important for biosynthesis and impairs progenitor function without ..
- Comparative proteomic profiling reveals aberrant cell proliferation in the brain of embryonic Ts1Cje, a mouse model of Down syndromeK Ishihara
Department of Pathological Biochemistry, Kyoto Pharmaceutical University, 5 Misasagi Nakauchi cho, Yamashina ku, Kyoto 607 8414, Japan Laboratory for Neurogenetics, RIKEN Brain Science Institute, 2 1 Hirosawa, Wako City, Saitama 351 0198, Japan Electronic address
Neuroscience 281:1-15. 2014....
- Pyruvate kinase and aspartate-glutamate carrier distributions reveal key metabolic links between neurons and glia in retinaKen J Lindsay
Departments of Biochemistry
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 111:15579-84. 2014..Müller glia compensate for their unique metabolic adaptations by using lactate and aspartate from neurons as surrogates for their missing PK and AGC1. ..
- Pyruvate kinase isoform expression alters nucleotide synthesis to impact cell proliferationSophia Y Lunt
Koch Institute for Integrative Cancer Research, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA Department of Physiology, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI 48824, USA
Mol Cell 57:95-107. 2015..The influence of pyruvate kinase isoforms on tumor cells has been extensively studied, but whether PKM2 is required for normal cell proliferation is unknown...
- Pyruvate kinase M2 regulates Hif-1α activity and IL-1β induction and is a critical determinant of the warburg effect in LPS-activated macrophagesEva M Palsson-McDermott
School of Biochemistry and Immunology, Trinity Biomedical Science Institute, Trinity College Dublin, Dublin 2, Ireland
Cell Metab 21:65-80. 2015..We here show that LPS induces expression of the key metabolic regulator Pyruvate Kinase M2 (PKM2)...
- A PKM2 signature in the failing heartMeredith L Rees
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Cardiology, The University of Texas Medical School at Houston, 6431 Fannin Street, MSB 1 220, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 459:430-6. 2015..Additionally, we observed a shift in the enzyme pyruvate kinase from the adult M1 (PKM1) isoform to the fetal M2 (PKM2) isoform, a hallmark of the Warburg Effect...
- Lack of Evidence for PKM2 Protein Kinase ActivityAaron M Hosios
Koch Institute for Integrative Cancer Research at Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA
Mol Cell 59:850-7. 2015The role of pyruvate kinase M2 (PKM2) in cell proliferation is controversial...
- Pyruvate kinase, muscle isoform 2 promotes proliferation and insulin secretion of pancreatic β-cells via activating Wnt/CTNNB1 signalingSuijun Wang
Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Henan Provincial People s Hospital, Zhengzhou University Zhengzhou 450003, P R China
Int J Clin Exp Pathol 8:14441-8. 2015..Pyruvate kinase, muscle isoform 2 (PKM2) is a potential modulator of insulin secretion in β-cells...
- Evidence That Does Not Support Pyruvate Kinase M2 (PKM2)-catalyzed Reaction as a Rate-limiting Step in Cancer Cell GlycolysisJiansheng Xie
From the Cancer Institute a Key Laboratory for Cancer Prevention and Intervention, China National Ministry of Education, The Second Affiliated Hospital, 310009 Hangzhou and the Biomedical Research Center, Sir Run Run Shaw Hospital, Zhejiang University School of Medicine, 310016 Hangzhou, China
J Biol Chem 291:8987-99. 2016It has been recognized that the rate-limiting function of pyruvate kinase M2 (PKM2) in glycolysis plays an important role in distributing glycolytic intermediates for anabolic and catabolic purposes in cancer cells...
- Identification of PKCzetaII: an endogenous inhibitor of cell polarityScott J Parkinson
Protein Phosphorylation Laboratory, Cancer Research UK, London Research Institute, London, UK
EMBO J 23:77-88. 2004..The data demonstrate a regulatory role for PKCzetaII in the maintenance of cell transformation and the development of cell polarity...
- Annotation and analysis of 10,000 expressed sequence tags from developing mouse eye and adult retinaJindan Yu
Ophthalmology and Visual Science, University of Michigan, 1000 Wall Street, Ann Arbor, MI 48105, USA
Genome Biol 4:R65. 2003..We have generated and analyzed 10,000 expressed sequence tags (ESTs) from three mouse eye tissue cDNA libraries: embryonic day 15.5 (M15E) eye, postnatal day 2 (M2PN) eye and adult retina (MRA)...
- The alternative splicing repressors hnRNP A1/A2 and PTB influence pyruvate kinase isoform expression and cell metabolismCynthia V Clower
Division of Signal Transduction, Department of Systems Biology, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:1894-9. 2010..These findings extend the links between alternative splicing and cancer, and begin to define some of the factors responsible for the switch to aerobic glycolysis...
- Characterization of genes which exhibit reduced expression during the retinoic acid-induced differentiation of F9 teratocarcinoma cells: involvement of cyclin D3 in RA-mediated growth arrestT N Faria
Department of Pharmacology, Cornell University Medical College, New York, NY 10021, USA
Mol Cell Endocrinol 143:155-66. 1998....
- The genes coding for pyruvate kinase (M2) and mannosephosphate isomerase are linked in man and mouseP A Lalley
Cytogenet Cell Genet 22:581-4. 1978
- The Pk-3 gene determines both the heart, M1, and the kidney, M2, pyruvate kinase isozymes in the mouse; and a simple electrophoretic method for separating phosphoglucomutase-3J Peters
Biochem Genet 22:1047-63. 1984..We also report a simple method for separating phosphoglucomutase-3 (PGM-3) by electrophoresis on cellulose acetate plates...
- Genetic mapping in mammals: chromosome map of domestic catS J O'Brien
Science 216:257-65. 1982..Many of these same linkage groups have not been conserved in the murine genome. The genetic and evolutionary implications of comparative mapping analysis among mammalian species are discussed...
- A variation in mouse kidney pyruvate kinase activity determined by a mutant gene on chromosome 9F M Johnson
Genet Res 37:123-31. 1981
- Polymorphism of kidney pyruvate kinase in the mouse is determined by a gene, Pk-3, on chromosome 9J Peters
Biochem Genet 19:757-69. 1981..In addition, our results indicate that the muscle (M1) and kidney (M2) pyruvate kinase isozymes share at least one genetic determinant and may in fact be determined by the same structural gene...
- Molecular cloning of the complementary DNA for the mouse pyruvate kinase M-2 gene whose expression is dependent upon cell differentiationS Izumi
Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Hokkaido University, Sapporo, Japan
Biochim Biophys Acta 1267:135-8. 1995..Expression of the pyruvate kinase in mouse embryonal carcinoma P19 cells altered according to differentiation stages; high at undifferentiated and low at differentiated stages...
- Cloning and characterization of genes expressed during gametogenesis of female and male miceD M López-Alañón
Centro de Investigaciones Biologicas, Velazquez, Madrid, Spain
J Reprod Fertil 103:323-9. 1995..Additional specific, gametic transcripts were also detected...
- Identification of genes showing altered expression in preimplantation and early postimplantation parthenogenetic embryosM Mann
Department of Zoology, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Dev Genet 17:223-32. 1995....
- Induction by glucose of genes coding for glycolytic enzymes in a pancreatic beta-cell line (INS-1)E Roche
Molecular Nutrition Unit, Department of Nutrition, University of Montreal, H3C 3J7 Montreal, Quebec, Canada
J Biol Chem 272:3091-8. 1997....
- Gene expression of mouse M1 and M2 pyruvate kinase isoenzymes correlates with differential poly[A] tract extension of their mRNAs during the development of spermatogenesisO de Luis
Department of Cell and Developmental Biology, Centro de Investigaciones Biologicas C S I C, Madrid, Spain
Biochim Biophys Acta 1396:294-305. 1998..These results suggest that changes in the length of the poly[A] tail of transcripts are associated with differential expression of both regulated isoenzymes during testicular development...
- Mammalian target of rapamycin up-regulation of pyruvate kinase isoenzyme type M2 is critical for aerobic glycolysis and tumor growthQian Sun
State Key Laboratory of Medical Molecular Biology, Department of Physiology and Pathophysiology, Institute of Basic Medical Sciences and School of Basic Medicine, Peking Union Medical College and Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences, Beijing 100005, China
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 108:4129-34. 2011..For a largely unknown regulatory mechanism, a rate-limiting glycolytic enzyme pyruvate kinase M2 (PKM2) isoform is exclusively expressed in embryonic, proliferating, and tumor cells, and plays an essential role in ..
- Insulin stimulates expression of the pyruvate kinase M gene in 3T3-L1 adipocytesYuuki Asai
Department of Applied Molecular Biosciences, Nagoya University Graduate School of Bioagricultural Sciences, Chikusa ku, Nagoya 464 8601, Japan
Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 67:1272-7. 2003M2-type pyruvate kinase (M2-PK) mRNA is produced from the PKM gene by an alternative RNA splicing in adipocytes. We found that insulin increased the level of M2-PK mRNA in 3T3-L1 adipocytes in both time- and dose-dependent manners...
- Proteomic identification of the TRAF6 regulation of vacuolar ATPase for osteoclast functionJiyoon Ryu
Department of Cell and Developmental Biology, Dental Research Institute, College of Dentistry, Seoul National University, Seoul, Korea
Proteomics 5:4152-60. 2005..Our study identified V-ATPase as a TRAF6-binding protein using a proteomics strategy and proved a direct link between these two important molecules for osteoclast function...
- Multiple glycolytic enzymes are tightly bound to the fibrous sheath of mouse spermatozoaMichelle Krisfalusi
Laboratory for Reproductive Biology, University of North Carolina School of Medicine, NC 27599, USA
Biol Reprod 75:270-8. 2006..These data support a role for the fibrous sheath as a scaffold for anchoring multiple glycolytic enzymes along the length of the flagellum to provide a localized source of ATP that is essential for sperm motility...
- Regulation of cell proliferation by interleukin-3-induced nuclear translocation of pyruvate kinaseAkemi Hoshino
Department of Pathology, New York University School of Medicine, New York, New York 10016, USA
J Biol Chem 282:17706-11. 2007....
- Pyruvate kinase isozyme type M2 (PKM2) interacts and cooperates with Oct-4 in regulating transcriptionJungwoon Lee
Department of Life Science, Sogang University, Seoul 121 742, Republic of Korea
Int J Biochem Cell Biol 40:1043-54. 2008..MS (mass spectrometry) and isolated a novel Oct-4-interacting protein, pyruvate kinase type M2 (PKM2 or M2-PK)...
- Pyruvate kinase isoenzyme M2 is a glycolytic sensor differentially regulating cell proliferation, cell size and apoptotic cell death dependent on glucose supplyGilles A Spoden
Department of Cell Metabolism and Differentiation, Institute for Biomedical Aging Research of the Austrian Academy of Sciences, Rennweg 10, 6020 Innsbruck, Austria
Exp Cell Res 315:2765-74. 2009The glycolytic key regulator pyruvate kinase M2 (M2-PK or PKM2) can switch between a highly active tetrameric and an inactive dimeric form. The transition between the two conformations regulates the glycolytic flux in tumor cells...
- Tyrosine phosphorylation inhibits PKM2 to promote the Warburg effect and tumor growthTaro Hitosugi
Winship Cancer Institute, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
Sci Signal 2:ra73. 2009..We found that oncogenic forms of fibroblast growth factor receptor type 1 inhibit the pyruvate kinase M2 (PKM2) isoform by direct phosphorylation of PKM2 tyrosine residue 105 (Y(105))...
- Conservation of autosomal gene synteny groups in mouse and manP A Lalley
Nature 274:160-3. 1978
- Evidence for an alternative glycolytic pathway in rapidly proliferating cellsMatthew G Vander Heiden
Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Science 329:1492-9. 2010..The M2 isoform of pyruvate kinase (PKM2) promotes the metabolism of glucose by aerobic glycolysis and contributes to anabolic metabolism...
- Huntingtin interacting proteins are genetic modifiers of neurodegenerationLinda S Kaltenbach
Prolexys Pharmaceuticals, Salt Lake City, Utah, United States of America
PLoS Genet 3:e82. 2007..These studies demonstrate that high-throughput screening for protein interactions combined with genetic validation in a model organism is a powerful approach for identifying novel candidate modifiers of polyglutamine toxicity...
- MOLECULAR CONTROL OF MAMMALIAN ENERGY HOMEOSTASISSTEVEN MCKNIGHT; Fiscal Year: 2001....
- GENETICS & BIOCHEMISTRY OF NEURONAL PAS DOMAIN PROTEINSSTEVEN MCKNIGHT; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..