Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Phb2
Description: prohibitin 2
Alias: AU044498, BAP, Bap37, Bcap37, REA, prohibitin-2, B-cell receptor-associated protein 37, B-cell receptor-associated protein BAP37, phb2, repressor of estrogen receptor activity
- Mammalian prohibitin proteins respond to mitochondrial stress and decrease during cellular senescenceP J Coates
Department of Molecular and Cellular Pathology, University of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital and Medical School, Dundee DD1 9SY, United Kingdom
Exp Cell Res 265:262-73. 2001The two prohibitin proteins, Phb1p and Phb2p(BAP37), have been ascribed various functions, including cell cycle regulation, apoptosis, assembly of mitochondrial respiratory chain enzymes, and aging...
- Loss of prohibitin membrane scaffolds impairs mitochondrial architecture and leads to tau hyperphosphorylation and neurodegenerationCarsten Merkwirth
Institute for Genetics, University of Cologne, Cologne, Germany
PLoS Genet 8:e1003021. 2012..Prohibitins form large ring complexes in the inner membrane that are composed of PHB1 and PHB2 subunits and are thought to function as membrane scaffolds...
- Genetic deletion of the repressor of estrogen receptor activity (REA) enhances the response to estrogen in target tissues in vivoSeong Eun Park
University of Illinois, Department of Molecular and Integrative Physiology, 524 Burrill Hall, 407 South Goodwin Ave, Urbana, IL 61801 3704, USA
Mol Cell Biol 25:1989-99. 2005We previously identified a coregulator, repressor of estrogen receptor activity (REA), that directly interacts with estrogen receptor (ER) and represses ER transcriptional activity...
- The IgM antigen receptor of B lymphocytes is associated with prohibitin and a prohibitin-related proteinM Terashima
Max Planck Institut für Immunobiologie, Freiburg, Germany
EMBO J 13:3782-92. 1994..p37 is highly homologous to p32. Since prohibitin was identified as an inhibitor of cell proliferation, its association with mIgM, but not mIgD, could explain the different biological events elicited after engagement of each receptor...
- A repressive role for prohibitin in estrogen signalingBin He
Department of Molecular Biology, Baylor College of Medicine, One Baylor Plaza, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Mol Endocrinol 22:344-60. 2008..We demonstrate that PHB interacts with the repressor of estrogen receptor activity (REA), a protein related to PHB, to form heteromers and enhance the protein stability of both ..
- Prohibitins control cell proliferation and apoptosis by regulating OPA1-dependent cristae morphogenesis in mitochondriaCarsten Merkwirth
Institute for Genetics, Centre for Molecular Medicine, University of Cologne, 50674 Cologne, Germany
Genes Dev 22:476-88. 2008..Large assemblies of PHB1 and PHB2 subunits are localized in the inner membrane of mitochondria, but various roles in other cellular compartments have ..
- CaMK IV phosphorylates prohibitin 2 and regulates prohibitin 2-mediated repression of MEF2 transcriptionLuguo Sun
Institute of Genetics and Cytology, Northeast Normal University, Changchun, China
Cell Signal 23:1686-90. 2011b>Prohibitin 2 (PHB2) is an evolutionarily conserved and ubiquitously expressed multifunctional protein which is present in various cellular compartments including the nucleus...
- The mitochondrial electron transport chain is dispensable for proliferation and differentiation of epidermal progenitor cellsOlivier R Baris
Center for Physiology and Pathophysiology, Institute for Vegetative Physiology, University of Cologne, Cologne, Germany
Stem Cells 29:1459-68. 2011..In conclusion, we here provide unequivocal evidence that EPSCs, and probably tissue stem cells in general, are independent of the mitochondrial respiratory chain, but still require a functional dynamic mitochondrial compartment...
- Spatial mapping of juxtacrine axo-glial interactions identifies novel molecules in peripheral myelinationY Poitelon
Hunter James Kelly Research Institute, Department Biochemistry, University at Buffalo, Buffalo, New York 14203, USA
Nat Commun 6:8303. 2015..We thus validate a novel method to model morphogenesis and juxtacrine signalling, provide insights into the molecular organization of the axo-glial contact, and identify a novel class of molecules in myelination. ..
- Loss of prohibitin induces mitochondrial damages altering β-cell function and survival and is responsible for gradual diabetes developmentSachin Supale
Department of Cell Physiology and Metabolism, University of Geneva Medical Centre, Geneva, Switzerland
Diabetes 62:3488-99. 2013..Ablation of Phb2 in mouse β-cells sequentially resulted in impairment of mitochondrial function and insulin secretion, loss of β-..
- Prohibitin 2 regulates the proliferation and lineage-specific differentiation of mouse embryonic stem cells in mitochondriaMegumi Kowno
Graduate School of Life and Environmental Sciences, The University of Tsukuba, Tsukuba, Ibaraki, Japan
PLoS ONE 9:e81552. 2014..Recent studies also suggested the significant contribution of mitochondria on the regulation of pluripotent stem cells. However, the molecules involved in these regulations are still unknown...
- CARL lncRNA inhibits anoxia-induced mitochondrial fission and apoptosis in cardiomyocytes by impairing miR-539-dependent PHB2 downregulationKun Wang
1 Division of Cardiovascular Research, State Key Laboratory of Biomembrane and Membrane Biotechnology, Institute of Zoology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing 100101, China 2
Nat Commun 5:3596. 2014..cardiac apoptosis-related lncRNA (CARL), can suppress mitochondrial fission and apoptosis by targeting miR-539 and PHB2. The results show that PHB2 is able to inhibit mitochondrial fission and apoptosis...
- DNAJC19, a mitochondrial cochaperone associated with cardiomyopathy, forms a complex with prohibitins to regulate cardiolipin remodelingRicarda Richter-Dennerlein
Institute for Genetics, University of Cologne, 50931 Cologne, Germany Cologne Excellence Cluster on Cellular Stress Responses in Aging Associated Diseases CECAD, University of Cologne, 50931 Cologne, Germany
Cell Metab 20:158-71. 2014..Here, we have defined the interactome of PHB2 in mitochondria and identified DNAJC19, mutated in dilated cardiomyopathy with ataxia, as binding partner of PHB ..
- Expression of prohibitins on the surface of activated T cellsHajime Yurugi
Department of Molecular Biosciences, Faculty of Life Sciences, Kyoto Sangyo University, Kamigamo Motoyama, Kitaku, Kyoto 603 8555, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 420:275-80. 2012..These results suggest that prohibitins expressed on the surface of activated T cells are involved in the T cell receptor-mediated signaling cascade...
- Inhibition of insulin/IGF-1 receptor signaling protects from mitochondria-mediated kidney failureChristina Ising
Department II of Internal Medicine and Center for Molecular Medicine Cologne CMMC, University of Cologne, Cologne, Germany
EMBO Mol Med 7:275-87. 2015..essential for maintenance of mitochondrial function and requires the prohibitin ring complex subunit prohibitin-2 (PHB2) at the mitochondrial inner membrane...
- Estradiol inhibits Th17 cell differentiation through inhibition of RORγT transcription by recruiting the ERα/REA complex to estrogen response elements of the RORγT promoterRong Yi Chen
Department of Dermatology, Affiliated Hospital of Guangdong Medical College, Zhanjiang, Guangdong 524001, China Department of Structural and Cellular Biology, Tulane University Health Sciences Center, New Orleans, LA 70112 and
J Immunol 194:4019-28. 2015..Estradiol activated estrogen receptor (ER)α to recruit repressor of estrogen receptor activity (REA) and form the ERα/REA complex...
- A novel prohibitin-binding compound induces the mitochondrial apoptotic pathway through NOXA and BIM upregulationCristina Moncunill-Massaguer
Departament de Ciències Fisiològiques II, Universitat de Barcelona Institut d Investigació Biomèdica de Bellvitge IDIBELL, L Hospitalet de Llobregat, Catalunya, Spain
Oncotarget 6:41750-65. 2015..Finally, Noxa(-/-)/Bim(-/-) MEFs and NOXA-downregulated HeLa cells were resistant to fluorizoline-induced apoptosis. All together, these findings show that fluorizoline requires PHBs to execute the mitochondrial apoptotic pathway...
- Multiple Beneficial Roles of Repressor of Estrogen Receptor Activity (REA) in Suppressing the Progression of EndometriosisYuechao Zhao
Departments of Molecular and Integrative Physiology Y Z, Y C, M K B, B S K and Chemistry J A K, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, Urbana, Illinois 61801 Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics Y K, The Second Affiliated Hospital of Harbin Medical University, Harbin, Heilongjiang 150086, China and Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology R N T, Wake Forest School of Medicine, Winston Salem, North Carolina 27157
Endocrinology 157:900-12. 2016..host mice with partial genetic deletion of the ER coregulator, repressor of ER activity (REA) (also known as prohibitin 2), to investigate roles of REA in the contributions of donor uterine tissue and host cell influences on ..
- Loss of OMA1 delays neurodegeneration by preventing stress-induced OPA1 processing in mitochondriaAnne Korwitz
Institute of Genetics and Cologne Excellence Cluster on Cellular Stress Responses in Aging Associated Diseases, University of Cologne, 50931 Cologne, Germany
J Cell Biol 212:157-66. 2016..Thus, long OPA1 forms can promote neuronal survival independently of cristae shape, whereas stress-induced OMA1 activation and OPA1 cleavage limit mitochondrial fusion and promote neuronal death. ..
- Analysis of the Rab GTPase Interactome in Dendritic Cells Reveals Anti-microbial Functions of the Rab32 Complex in Bacterial ContainmentYuanyuan Li
Biomedical Analysis Center, Third Military Medical University, Chongqing 400038, China Chongqing Key Laboratory of Cytomics, Chongqing 400038, China
Immunity 44:422-37. 2016..monocytogenes. Mechanistically, Rab32 formed a persistent complex with two interacting proteins, PHB and PHB2, to encompass bacteria both during early phagosome formation and after L...
- Truncated estrogen receptor product-1 stimulates estrogen receptor alpha transcriptional activity by titration of repressor proteinsVicky Y Lin
Department of Pharmacology, Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Virginia 22908, USA
J Biol Chem 278:38125-31. 2003..We found that repressor of estrogen receptor activity (REA), originally isolated from human breast cancer cells, is present in mouse pituitary ..
- Prohibitin-2 Depletion Unravels Extra-Mitochondrial Functions at the Kidney Filtration BarrierChristina Ising
Department II of Internal Medicine and Center for Molecular Medicine Cologne, University of Cologne, Cologne, Germany Department of Neurology, Hope Center for Neurological Disorders, Charles F and Joanne Knight Alzheimer s Disease Research Center, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri
Am J Pathol 186:1128-39. 2016..essential for maintenance of mitochondrial function and requires the prohibitin ring complex subunit prohibitin-2 (PHB2) at the mitochondrial inner membrane...
- Mitochondrial dysfunction and adipogenic reduction by prohibitin silencing in 3T3-L1 cellsDong Liu
Cardiovascular Research Institute, Morehouse School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia, United States of America
PLoS ONE 7:e34315. 2012..Prohibitins (PHBs), comprised of two evolutionarily conserved proteins, prohibitin-1 (PHB1) and prohibitin-2 (PHB2), are present in a high molecular-weight complex in the inner membrane of mitochondria...
- The coregulator, repressor of estrogen receptor activity (REA), is a crucial regulator of the timing and magnitude of uterine decidualizationYuechao Zhao
Department of Molecular and Integrative Physiology, University of Illinois and College of Medicine at Urbana Champaign, Urbana, IL 61801, USA
Endocrinology 154:1349-60. 2013..In this study, we have established a key role for the coregulator, repressor of estrogen receptor activity (REA), in the decidualization of human endometrial stromal cells (hESCs) in vitro and of the ..
- Prohibitins and the cytoplasmic domain of CD86 cooperate to mediate CD86 signaling in B lymphocytesChristopher R Lucas
Integrated Biomedical Science Graduate Program, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
J Immunol 190:723-36. 2013..identification approach, we show that the tyrosine-containing transmembrane adaptor proteins prohibitin (Phb)1 and Phb2 bind to CD86...
- Uterine development and fertility are dependent on gene dosage of the nuclear receptor coregulator REASunghee Park
Department of Molecular and Integrative Physiology, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, 524 Burrill Hall, 407 South Goodwin Avenue, Urbana, Illinois 61801 3704, USA
Endocrinology 153:3982-94. 2012..Because conventional genetic deletion of the coregulator, repressor of estrogen receptor activity (REA), was embryonic lethal, we here study REA conditional knockout mice generated by cre-loxP ..
- Akt binds prohibitin 2 and relieves its repression of MyoD and muscle differentiationLuguo Sun
Department of Biochemistry, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, Hong Kong, China
J Cell Sci 117:3021-9. 2004In a yeast two-hybrid screen using the full-length Akt as bait, we found that prohibitin 2 (PHB2) specifically interacts with Akt...
- Repressor of estrogen receptor activity (REA) is essential for mammary gland morphogenesis and functional activities: studies in conditional knockout miceSunghee Park
Department of Molecular and Integrative Physiology, University of Illinois, 524 Burrill Hall, 407 South Goodwin Avenue, Urbana, Illinois 61801 3704, USA
Endocrinology 152:4336-49. 2011..we have investigated the consequences of reduction or loss of function of the coregulator repressor of ER activity (REA) by conditionally deleting one allele or both alleles of the REA gene at different stages of mammary gland ..
- Regulation of the epithelial Mg2+ channel TRPM6 by estrogen and the associated repressor protein of estrogen receptor activity (REA)Gang Cao
Department of Physiology, Nijmegen Centre for Molecular Life Sciences, Institute for Genetic and Metabolic Disease, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Centre, 6500 HB Nijmegen, The Netherlands
J Biol Chem 284:14788-95. 2009..Here, we identified the repressor of estrogen receptor activity (REA) as an interacting protein of TRPM6 that binds to the 6(th), 7(th), and 8(th) beta-sheets in ..
- Nuclear receptor co-regulator Krüppel-like factor 9 and prohibitin 2 expression in estrogen-induced epithelial cell proliferation in the mouse uterusJ M P Pabona
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences and Arkansas Children s Nutrition Center, Little Rock, Arkansas 72202, USA
J Endocrinol 200:63-73. 2009..pregnancy uteri of WT mice, the temporal pattern of Klf9 transcript levels was inversely associated with that of Phb2. Deletion of Klf9 up-regulated uterine Phb2 expression and increased PHB2 nuclear localization in endometrial ST ..
- Skp2B stimulates mammary gland development by inhibiting REA, the repressor of the estrogen receptorKarina Umanskaya
Department of Medicine, Division of Hematology Oncology, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, One Gustave L Levy Place, Box 1178, New York, NY 10029, USA
Mol Cell Biol 27:7615-22. 2007..We found that Skp2B interacts with the repressor of estrogen receptor activity (REA) and that overexpression of Skp2B leads to a reduction in REA levels...
- Haploinsufficiency of the corepressor of estrogen receptor activity (REA) enhances estrogen receptor function in the mammary glandPaola Mussi
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:16716-21. 2006..The repressor of ER activity (REA) is an ER-interactive protein that counterbalances estrogen-induced ER transcriptional activity...
- Transcriptional regulation by the repressor of estrogen receptor activity via recruitment of histone deacetylasesVladislav Kurtev
Institute of Medical Biochemistry, Max F Perutz Laboratories, Medical University of Vienna, Vienna Biocenter, Dr Bohr Gasse 9 2, A 1030 Vienna, Austria
J Biol Chem 279:24834-43. 2004..Using the yeast two-hybrid system, we isolated the repressor of estrogen receptor activity (REA) as a novel HDAC1-associated protein...
- Comparative sequence analysis of a gene-rich cluster at human chromosome 12p13 and its syntenic region in mouse chromosome 6M A Ansari-Lari
Department of Molecular and Human Genetics, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Genome Res 8:29-40. 1998....