Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Neurog3
Description: neurogenin 3
Alias: Atoh5, Math4B, bHLHa7, ngn3, neurogenin-3, NGN-3, Neurogenin 3 (Atonal protein homolog 5) (Helix-loop-helix protein mATH-4B) (MATH4B), atonal homolog 5, helix-loop-helix protein mATH-4B, protein atonal homolog 5
Publications129 found, 100 shown here
- neurogenins, a novel family of atonal-related bHLH transcription factors, are putative mammalian neuronal determination genes that reveal progenitor cell heterogeneity in the developing CNS and PNSL Sommer
Division of Biology 216 76, California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, California, 91125, USA
Mol Cell Neurosci 8:221-41. 1996..Cell 87: 43-52, 1996). Here we identify two additional ngn's, ngn2 and ngn3, which together define a novel subfamily of atonal-related mouse genes...
- Nkx6 transcription factors and Ptf1a function as antagonistic lineage determinants in multipotent pancreatic progenitorsAshleigh E Schaffer
Department of Pediatrics, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093, USA
Dev Cell 18:1022-9. 2010..Thus, cross-antagonism between Nkx6 and Ptf1a in multipotent progenitors governs the equilibrium between endocrine and acinar cell neogenesis required for normal pancreas development...
- Myt1 and Ngn3 form a feed-forward expression loop to promote endocrine islet cell differentiationSui Wang
Program in Developmental Biology, Department of Cell and Developmental Biology, 465 21st Avenue South, Rm 4128, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, TN 37232, USA
Dev Biol 317:531-40. 2008High levels of Ngn3 expression in pancreatic progenitor cells are both necessary and sufficient to initiate endocrine differentiation...
- Opposing actions of Arx and Pax4 in endocrine pancreas developmentPatrick Collombat
Department of Molecular Cell Biology, Max Planck Institute for Biophysical Chemistry, D 37077 Gottingen, Germany
Genes Dev 17:2591-603. 2003..One such transcription factor, Arx, exhibits Ngn3-dependent expression throughout endocrine pancreas development in alpha, beta-precursor, and delta cells...
- The concerted activities of Pax4 and Nkx2.2 are essential to initiate pancreatic beta-cell differentiationJunfeng Wang
Department of Genetics and Tumor Cell Biology, St Jude Children s Research Hospital, Memphis, TN 38105, USA
Dev Biol 266:178-89. 2004..This role of Pax4 appears to be accomplished via its genetic interaction with another homeobox gene, Nkx2.2...
- Rfx6 directs islet formation and insulin production in mice and humansStuart B Smith
Diabetes Center, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, California 94143, USA
Nature 463:775-80. 2010..During embryonic development, the transcription factor neurogenin 3 (Neurog3) initiates the differentiation of the beta-cells and other islet cell types from pancreatic endoderm, ..
- Regulation of the pancreatic pro-endocrine gene neurogenin3J C Lee
Hormone Research Institute, Department of Pediatrics, University of California, San Francisco 94143, USA
Diabetes 50:928-36. 2001Neurogenin3 (ngn3), a basic helix-loop-helix (bHLH) transcription factor, functions as a pro-endocrine factor in the developing pancreas: by itself, it is sufficient to force undifferentiated pancreatic epithelial cells to become islet ..
- Glucagon-like peptide 1 (1-37) converts intestinal epithelial cells into insulin-producing cellsAtsushi Suzuki
Department of Surgery, Institute of Clinical Medicine, University of Tsukuba, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305 8575, Japan
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 100:5034-9. 2003..intestinal epithelial cells in vitro and in vivo, a process mediated by up-regulation of the Notch-related gene ngn3 and its downstream targets, which are involved in pancreatic endocrine differentiation...
- Neurogenin 3 and the enteroendocrine cell lineage in the adult mouse small intestinal epitheliumMatthew Bjerknes
Department of Medicine, Clinical Science Division, Medical Science Building, Rm 6334, University of Toronto, 1 King s College Circle, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5S 1A8
Dev Biol 300:722-35. 2006..Because Neurogenin 3 (Neurog3) null mice lack enteroendocrine cells, Neurog3-expressing progenitors derived from the common ..
- Preferential reduction of beta cells derived from Pax6-MafB pathway in MafB deficient miceWataru Nishimura
Section of Islet Transplantation and Cell Biology, Joslin Diabetes Center, USA
Dev Biol 314:443-56. 2008..Thus, Pax6 acts upstream of MafB, which in turn may trigger the expression of insulin and regulate the PDX-1 and MafA expression required for beta-cell maturation...
- Notch signaling controls multiple steps of pancreatic differentiationL Charles Murtaugh
Howard Hughes Medical Institute and Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA 02138, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 100:14920-5. 2003..Furthermore, endocrine differentiation is associated with escape from this activity, because Ngn3-expressing endocrine precursors are susceptible to Notch inhibition, whereas fully differentiated endocrine cells ..
- Neurogenin 3 and neurogenic differentiation 1 are retained in the cytoplasm of multiple endocrine neoplasia type 1 islet and pancreatic endocrine tumor cellsMargareta H Lejonklou
Department of Medical Sciences, Uppsala University, Uppsala, Sweden
Pancreas 38:259-66. 2009....
- Islet-1 is required for the maturation, proliferation, and survival of the endocrine pancreasAiping Du
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Diabetes 58:2059-69. 2009....
- Mouse atonal homolog 1 directs intestinal progenitors to secretory cell rather than absorptive cell fateKelli L VanDussen
Department of Molecular and Integrative Physiology, The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
Dev Biol 346:215-23. 2010..Thus, Math1 is a key effector directing multipotential precursors to adopt secretory and not absorptive cell fate...
- Transcription factor hepatocyte nuclear factor 6 regulates pancreatic endocrine cell differentiation and controls expression of the proendocrine gene ngn3P Jacquemin
Hormone and Metabolic Research Unit, Université catholique de Louvain and Christian de Duve Institute of Cellular Pathology, 1200 Brussels, Belgium
Mol Cell Biol 20:4445-54. 2000..The expression of neurogenin 3 (Ngn-3), a transcription factor that is essential for determination of endocrine cell precursors, was almost ..
- Hnf6 and Tcf2 (MODY5) are linked in a gene network operating in a precursor cell domain of the embryonic pancreasMiguel A Maestro
Endocrinology, Hospital Clinic, Institut d Investigacions Biomediques August Pi i Sunyer, Barcelona, Spain
Hum Mol Genet 12:3307-14. 2003During pancreatic organogenesis endocrine cells arise from non self-renewing progenitors that express Ngn3. The precursors that give rise to Ngn3+ cells are presumably located within duct-like structures...
- Gata6 is an important regulator of mouse pancreas developmentKimberly Decker
Program in Molecular Biology, Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Genetics, University of Colorado at Denver Health Sciences Center, Aurora, CO 80045, USA
Dev Biol 298:415-29. 2006..Conversely, the majority of transgenic Gata4-Engrailed embryos do not have a pancreatic phenotype. This study suggests that Gata6 is an important regulator of pancreas specification...
- Sox9 coordinates a transcriptional network in pancreatic progenitor cellsF C Lynn
Diabetes Center, Hormone Research Institute, and Department of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:10500-5. 2007..These studies indicate that Sox9 plays a dual role in pancreatic progenitor cells: both maintaining a stable transcriptional network and supporting the programs by which these cells differentiate into distinct lineages...
- Dynamic regulation of Pdx1 enhancers by Foxa1 and Foxa2 is essential for pancreas developmentNan Gao
Department of Genetics, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Genes Dev 22:3435-48. 2008..Thus, the regulation of Pdx1 expression by Foxa1 and Foxa2 is a key early event controlling the expansion and differentiation of the pancreatic primordia...
- NKX6 transcription factor activity is required for alpha- and beta-cell development in the pancreasKorinna D Henseleit
Department of Developmental and Cell Biology, University of California at Irvine, 4203 McGaugh Hall, Irvine, CA 92697 2300, USA
Development 132:3139-49. 2005..We demonstrate that expression of Myt1 depends on overall Nkx6 gene dose, and therefore identify Myt1 as a possible downstream target of Nkx6 genes in the endocrine differentiation pathway...
- Regeneration of pancreatic islets after partial pancreatectomy in mice does not involve the reactivation of neurogenin-3Catherine S Lee
Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism, Department of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Clinical Research Building 611 B, Philadelphia, 19104, USA
Diabetes 55:269-72. 2006..Neurogenin-3 (Ngn3) is a bHLH transcription factor that responds to Notch signaling and whose expression marks endocrine progenitors...
- MafB: an activator of the glucagon gene expressed in developing islet alpha- and beta-cellsIsabella Artner
Department of Molecular Physiology and Biophysics, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, TN 37232, USA
Diabetes 55:297-304. 2006..These results indicate that MafB is not only important to islet alpha-cell function but may also be involved in regulating genes required in both endocrine alpha- and beta-cell differentiation...
- Novel effectors of directed and Ngn3-mediated differentiation of mouse embryonic stem cells into endocrine pancreas progenitorsIoannis Serafimidis
Developmental Biology Laboratory, Biomedical Research Foundation of the Academy of Athens, Athens, Greece
Stem Cells 26:3-16. 2008..The transcription factor Ngn3 is required for the specification of the endocrine lineage, but its direct targets and the scope of biological ..
- Beta cells can be generated from endogenous progenitors in injured adult mouse pancreasXiaobo Xu
Diabetes Research Center, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Laarbeeklaan 103, B1090 Brussels, Belgium
Cell 132:197-207. 2008..Guided by the expression of Neurogenin 3 (Ngn3), the earliest islet cell-specific transcription factor in embryonic development, we show that beta cell ..
- Mouse pancreatic endocrine cell transcriptome defined in the embryonic Ngn3-null mouseKirstine Juhl
Barbara Davis Center for Childhood Diabetes, University of Colorado Denver, Aurora, Colorado, USA
Diabetes 57:2755-61. 2008..A further objective was to identify endocrine cell biomarkers, targets of diabetic autoimmunity, and regulatory pathways underlying islet responses to physiological and pathological stimuli...
- Independent development of pancreatic alpha- and beta-cells from neurogenin3-expressing precursors: a role for the notch pathway in repression of premature differentiationJ Jensen
Department of Developmental Biology, Hagedorn Research Institute, Gentofte, Denmark
Diabetes 49:163-76. 2000..this study, we have identified a subset of the PDX1+ epithelial cells that are marked by expression of Neurogenin3 (Ngn3)...
- Neurogenin3 is differentially required for endocrine cell fate specification in the intestinal and gastric epitheliumMarjorie Jenny
INSERM U381, 3 avenue Moliere, 67200, Strasbourg, France
EMBO J 21:6338-47. 2002..We have shown previously that the basic helix- loop-helix (bHLH) transcription factor neurogenin3 (ngn3) is required for the specification of the endocrine lineage in uncommitted progenitors in the developing pancreas...
- Neurogenin3 participates in gliogenesis in the developing vertebrate spinal cordJeffrey Lee
IGBMC, Universite Louis Pasteur, 1 rue Laurent Fries, BP10142, 67404 Illkirch Cedex, CU de Strasbourg, France
Dev Biol 253:84-98. 2003..As assessed by reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR), Neurogenin3 (Ngn3) was transiently expressed in bipotential glial cells fated to become either oligodendrocytes or astrocytes...
- Activated Notch1 prevents differentiation of pancreatic acinar cells and attenuate endocrine developmentJacob Hald
Department of Developmental Biology, Hagedorn Research Institute, Niels Steensensvej 6, DK 2820 Gentofte, Denmark
Dev Biol 260:426-37. 2003....
- Lack of TCF2/vHNF1 in mice leads to pancreas agenesisC Haumaitre
Biologie du Développement, Unité Mixte de Recherche 7622, Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, Universite Pierre et Marie Curie, 9 quai St Bernard Bat C, 75005 Paris, France
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:1490-5. 2005..This study provides further insights into early molecular events controlling pancreas development and may contribute to the development of cell-replacement strategies for diabetes...
- Neuronatin, a downstream target of BETA2/NeuroD1 in the pancreas, is involved in glucose-mediated insulin secretionKhoi Chu
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, Baylor College of Medicine, One Baylor Plaza, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Diabetes 54:1064-73. 2005..These results suggest for the first time an important role for NNAT in insulin secretion and for proper beta-cell function...
- The effect of neurogenin3 deficiency on pancreatic gene expression in embryonic miceAndreas Petri
Department of Molecular Genetics, Novo Nordisk A S, DK 2880 Bagsvaerd, Denmark
J Mol Endocrinol 37:301-16. 2006..regulating pancreatic endocrine development and function, pancreatic gene expression was compared between Ngn3-deficient mice and littermate controls on embryonic days 13 and 15...
- SOX9 is required for maintenance of the pancreatic progenitor cell poolPhilip A Seymour
Department of Developmental and Cell Biology, University of California, Irvine, CA 92697 2300, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:1865-70. 2007..These findings will be of major significance for the development of in vitro protocols for cell replacement therapies...
- Temporal control of neurogenin3 activity in pancreas progenitors reveals competence windows for the generation of different endocrine cell typesKerstin A Johansson
Swiss Institute for Experimental Cancer Research, 155 ch des Boveresses, 1066 Epalinges, Switzerland
Dev Cell 12:457-65. 2007..of pancreatic progenitors changes over time, we generated transgenic mice expressing a tamoxifen-inducible Ngn3 fusion protein under the control of the pdx1 promoter and backcrossed the transgene into the ngn3(-/-) background, ..
- MicroRNA expression is required for pancreatic islet cell genesis in the mouseFrancis C Lynn
Diabetes Center, Hormone Research Institute, University of California San Francisco, 513 Parnassus Ave, San Francisco, CA 94143 0534, USA
Diabetes 56:2938-45. 2007..We tested the hypothesis that microRNAs (miRNAs), which limit gene expression through posttranscriptional silencing, modulate the gene expression cascades involved in pancreas development...
- Chronology of islet differentiation revealed by temporal cell labelingTakeshi Miyatsuka
Diabetes Center and Department of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, California, USA
Diabetes 58:1863-8. 2009b>Neurogenin 3 plays a pivotal role in pancreatic endocrine differentiation...
- The diabetes gene Pdx1 regulates the transcriptional network of pancreatic endocrine progenitor cells in miceJennifer M Oliver-Krasinski
Institute for Diabetes, Obesity and Metabolism, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
J Clin Invest 119:1888-98. 2009..endocrine progenitors and a marked reduction in levels of mRNA encoding the proendocrine transcription factor neurogenin 3 (Ngn3)...
- Cooperative transcriptional regulation of the essential pancreatic islet gene NeuroD1 (beta2) by Nkx2.2 and neurogenin 3Keith R Anderson
Department of Biochemistry, University of Colorado Health Science Center, Denver, Colorado 80045, USA
J Biol Chem 284:31236-48. 2009..both proteins influence beta cell development directly downstream of the endocrine progenitor factor, neurogenin3 (Ngn3), a connection between the two proteins in the regulation of beta cell fate and function has yet to be established...
- Neurog3 gene dosage regulates allocation of endocrine and exocrine cell fates in the developing mouse pancreasSui Wang
Program in Developmental Biology and Department of Cell and Developmental Biology, Center for Stem Cell Biology, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, 465 21st Avenue South, Rm 4128, Vanderbilt Medical Center, Nashville, TN 37232, USA
Dev Biol 339:26-37. 2010The basic helix-loop-helix transcription factor Neurog3 (Neurogenin3 or Ngn3) actively drives endodermal progenitor cells towards endocrine islet cell differentiation during embryogenesis...
- Neurogenin 3 cellular and subcellular localization in the developing and adult hippocampusJulia Simon-Areces
Instituto Cajal, CSIC, E 28002 Madrid, Spain
J Comp Neurol 518:1814-24. 2010b>Neurogenin 3 (Ngn3), a proneural gene controlled by the Notch receptor, is implicated in the control of dendrite morphology and synaptic plasticity of cultured hippocampal neurons...
- Loss of enteroendocrine cells in mice alters lipid absorption and glucose homeostasis and impairs postnatal survivalGeorg Mellitzer
Institut de Genetique et de Biologie Moleculaire et Cellulaire, INSERM U964, CNRS UMR 7104, Universite de Strasbourg, Illkirch, France
J Clin Invest 120:1708-21. 2010..homeostasis, we generated mice with intestinal-specific ablation of the proendocrine transcription factor neurogenin 3 (referred to herein as Ngn3Deltaint mice)...
- Derepression of Polycomb targets during pancreatic organogenesis allows insulin-producing beta-cells to adopt a neural gene activity programJoris van Arensbergen
Genomic Programming of Beta Cells Laboratory, Institut d Investigacions Biomediques August Pi i Sunyer, Barcelona 08036, Spain
Genome Res 20:722-32. 2010..These findings reveal a dynamic regulation of Polycomb repression programs that shape the identity of differentiated beta-cells...
- Notch/neurogenin 3 signalling is involved in the neuritogenic actions of oestradiol in developing hippocampal neuronesI Ruiz-Palmero
Instituto Cajal, CSIC, Madrid, Spain
J Neuroendocrinol 23:355-64. 2011..Recent studies have shown that the Notch-regulated transcription factor neurogenin 3 controls neuritogenesis...
- Nkx2.2 and Arx genetically interact to regulate pancreatic endocrine cell development and endocrine hormone expressionTeresa L Mastracci
Department of Genetics and Development, Russ Berrie Medical Pavilion, Columbia University, 1150 St Nicholas Ave, New York, NY 10032, USA
Dev Biol 359:1-11. 2011..of Arx in specific pancreatic cell populations established that the functions of Arx are necessary in the Neurog3+ endocrine progenitors. Together, these experiments identify novel genetic interactions between Nkx2...
- Comparison of murine embryonic pancreatic development in vitro and in vivoFengxia Ma
State Key Laboratory of Experimental Hematology, Institute of Hematology, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences, Tianjin, China
Pancreas 40:1012-7. 2011..The purpose of the present study was to compare the development of murine embryonic pancreas in vitro and in vivo...
- Arx is required for normal enteroendocrine cell development in mice and humansAiping Du
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, USA
Dev Biol 365:175-88. 2012..Arx expression is detected in a subset of Neurogenin3 (Ngn3)-positive endocrine progenitors and is also found in a subset of hormone-producing cells...
- The transcriptional co-repressor Grg3/Tle3 promotes pancreatic endocrine progenitor delamination and β-cell differentiationDavid E Metzger
Institute for Regenerative Medicine, Institute for Diabetes Obesity and Metabolism, Epigenetics Program, Department of Cell and Developmental Biology, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, 1056 BRB II III, 421 Curie Boulevard, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Development 139:1447-56. 2012Pancreatic β-cells arise from Ngn3(+) endocrine progenitors within the trunk epithelium of the embryonic pancreas...
- Pancreas-specific deletion of mouse Gata4 and Gata6 causes pancreatic agenesisShouhong Xuan
Department of Genetics and Development, Columbia University, New York, New York 10032, USA
J Clin Invest 122:3516-28. 2012..subsequent failure to induce the differentiation of progenitor cells expressing carboxypeptidase A1 (CPA1) and neurogenin 3 (NEUROG3)...
- Notch signalling controls pancreatic cell differentiationA Apelqvist
Department of Microbiology, University of Umea, Sweden
Nature 400:877-81. 1999..A similar phenotype was observed in mice over-expressing neurogenin 3 (ngn 3) or the intracellular form of Notch3 (a repressor of Notch signalling)...
- neurogenin3 is required for the development of the four endocrine cell lineages of the pancreasG Gradwohl
Institut de Genetique et de Biologie Moleculaire et Cellulaire, Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale Université Louis Pasteur, F 67404 Illkirch, France
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 97:1607-11. 2000..neurogenin3 (ngn3) is a member of a family of basic helix-loop-helix transcription factors that is involved in the determination of ..
- Regulation of the pancreatic islet-specific gene BETA2 (neuroD) by neurogenin 3H P Huang
Department of Molecular Biology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Mol Cell Biol 20:3292-307. 2000..We demonstrated that the expression of neurogenin 3 (ngn3), an islet- and neuron-specific basic-helix-loop-helix transcription factor, partially overlaps that of ..
- Expression of neurogenin3 reveals an islet cell precursor population in the pancreasV M Schwitzgebel
Hormone Research Institute, Department of Pediatrics, and Department of Medicine, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
Development 127:3533-42. 2000....
- Homeobox gene Nkx6.1 lies downstream of Nkx2.2 in the major pathway of beta-cell formation in the pancreasM Sander
Hormone Research Institute, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94143 0534, USA
Development 127:5533-40. 2000..Together, these experiments reveal two independently controlled pathways for beta-cell differentiation, and place Nkx6.1 downstream of Nkx2.2 in the major pathway of beta-cell differentiation...
- Nestin is expressed in mesenchymal and not epithelial cells of the developing mouse pancreasLars Selander
Department of Molecular Biology, Umeå Center for Molecular Medicine, Umea University, SE 901 87 Umea, Sweden
Mech Dev 113:189-92. 2002..The data presented demonstrate that nestin is expressed in mesenchymal and not epithelial cells of the developing mouse pancreas...
- Direct evidence for the pancreatic lineage: NGN3+ cells are islet progenitors and are distinct from duct progenitorsGuoqiang Gu
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, and Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA 02138, USA
Development 129:2447-57. 2002..We have employed an inducible Cre-ER(TM)-LoxP system to indelibly mark the progeny of cells expressing either Ngn3 or Pdx1 at different stages of development...
- Neurogenin 3 is essential for the proper specification of gastric enteroendocrine cells and the maintenance of gastric epithelial cell identityCatherine S Lee
Department of Genetics, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia 19104, USA
Genes Dev 16:1488-97. 2002..targeting in mouse embryonic stem cells to derive an EGFP-marked null allele of the bHLH transcription factor, neurogenin 3 (ngn3)...
- Pancreatic cell lineage analyses in micePedro L Herrera
Department of Morphology, University of Geneva Medical School, Switzerland
Endocrine 19:267-78. 2002..ii) p48 is involved in the exocrine and endocrine pancreatic lineages, (iii) islet endocrine cells derive from ngn3-expressing progenitor cells, and (iv) insulin cells do not derive from glucagon- expressing progenitors...
- Neurogenin3 and hepatic nuclear factor 1 cooperate in activating pancreatic expression of Pax4Stuart B Smith
Diabetes Center, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, California 94143, USA
J Biol Chem 278:38254-9. 2003..These data demonstrate how Neurogenin3 and HNF1alpha activate the pax4 gene during the cascade of gene expression events that control pancreatic endocrine cell development...
- Fgf10 maintains notch activation, stimulates proliferation, and blocks differentiation of pancreatic epithelial cellsAlan Hart
Umeå Center for Molecular Medicine, University of Umea, Umea, Sweden
Dev Dyn 228:185-93. 2003..for maintaining cells in the progenitor state, in part by blocking the expression of the pro-endocrine gene neurogenin 3 (ngn3), and hence endocrine cell differentiation...
- Gene regulatory factors in pancreatic developmentJan Jensen
Barbara Davis Center for Childhood Diabetes, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, Colorado, USA
Dev Dyn 229:176-200. 2004..Developmental Dynamics 229:176-200, 2004...
- The simultaneous loss of Arx and Pax4 genes promotes a somatostatin-producing cell fate specification at the expense of the alpha- and beta-cell lineages in the mouse endocrine pancreasPatrick Collombat
Max Planck Institute for Biophysical Chemistry, Department of Molecular Cell Biology, Am Fassberg, 37077 Gottingen, Germany
Development 132:2969-80. 2005..Finally, our data provide evidence that both Arx and Pax4 act as transcriptional repressors that control the expression level of one another, thereby mediating proper endocrine fate allocation...
- Genetic determinants of pancreatic epsilon-cell developmentR Scott Heller
Hagedorn Research Institute, Department of Developmental Biology, DK 2820 Gentofte, Denmark
Dev Biol 286:217-24. 2005....
- IA1 is NGN3-dependent and essential for differentiation of the endocrine pancreasGeorg Mellitzer
INSERM U682, Development and Physiopathology of the Intestine and Pancreas, Universite Louis Pasteur, Strasbourg, France
EMBO J 25:1344-52. 2006b>Neurogenin 3 (Ngn3) is key for endocrine cell specification in the embryonic pancreas and induction of a neuroendocrine cell differentiation program by misexpression in adult pancreatic duct cells...
- Osteopontin is a novel marker of pancreatic ductal tissues and of undifferentiated pancreatic precursors in miceGamze Kilic
Department of Genetics and Tumor Cell Biology, St Jude Children s Research Hospital, Memphis, Tennessee 38105, USA
Dev Dyn 235:1659-67. 2006..Finally, the maintenance of Opn expression in pancreatic tissues of adults argues for a possible function of this protein in injury and pathologic responses...
- Notch and NGF/p75NTR control dendrite morphology and the balance of excitatory/inhibitory synaptic input to hippocampal neurones through Neurogenin 3Patricia Salama-Cohen
Instituto Cajal de Neurobiologia, CSIC, Madrid, Spain
J Neurochem 97:1269-78. 2006..Here, we show that Neurogenin 3 is a proneural gene that is negatively regulated by Homologue of enhancer of split 1/5...
- p57 and Hes1 coordinate cell cycle exit with self-renewal of pancreatic progenitorsSenta Georgia
Larry Hillblom Islet Research Center, David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Dev Biol 298:22-31. 2006....
- The fringe molecules induce endocrine differentiation in embryonic endoderm by activating cMyt1/cMyt3Yanwen Xu
Vanderbilt University, Department of Cell and Developmental Biology, Nashville, TN 37232, USA
Dev Biol 297:340-9. 2006..Furthermore, ectopic Mfng expression induces the expression of basic helix-loop-helix gene, Ngn3, and two zinc finger genes, cMyt1 and cMyt3...
- Islet cell differentiation in liver by combinatorial expression of transcription factors neurogenin-3, BETA2, and RIPE3b1Young Duk Song
Division of Endocrinology, Metabolism, and Molecular Medicine, Northwestern University, Feinberg School of Medicine, Galter Pavillion, Suite 3 150, 251 E Huron Street, Chicago, IL 60611 2908, USA
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 354:334-9. 2007..tri-cistronic constructs were generated in hybrid adenovirus/adeno-associated virus (Ad/AAV) vectors containing neurogenin 3 (NGN3), BETA2 (NeuroD), and RIPE3b1 (MafA), each of which plays a role in islet cell differentiation...
- The transcription factors Nkx6.1 and Nkx6.2 possess equivalent activities in promoting beta-cell fate specification in Pdx1+ pancreatic progenitor cellsShelley B Nelson
Department of Developmental and Cell Biology, University of California at Irvine, 4203 McGaugh Hall, Irvine, CA 92697 2300, USA
Development 134:2491-500. 2007..Pdx1(+) pancreatic progenitors, whereas no rescue was observed upon expression in committed Ngn3(+) (Neurog3(+)) endocrine progenitors...
- Recovery from diabetes in mice by beta cell regenerationTomer Nir
Department of Cellular Biochemistry and Human Genetics, Hebrew University Hadassah Medical School, Jerusalem, Israel
J Clin Invest 117:2553-61. 2007..These results suggest that regenerative therapy for type 1 diabetes may be achieved if autoimmunity is halted using regeneration-compatible drugs...
- Induction of pancreatic islet cell differentiation by the neurogenin-neuroD cascadeRosa Gasa
Diabetes and Obesity Laboratory, IDIBAPS, Villarroel 170, 08036 Barcelona, Spain
Differentiation 76:381-91. 2008The related basic helix-loop-helix transcription factors neurogenin3 (Neurog3) and neurogenic differentiation 1 (NeuroD1) regulate pancreatic islet cell formation...
- Loss of Myt1 function partially compromises endocrine islet cell differentiation and pancreatic physiological function in the mouseSui Wang
Program in Developmental Biology, Department of Cell and Developmental Biology, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, 465 21st Avenue South, Room 4128, Nashville, TN 37232, USA
Mech Dev 124:898-910. 2007..The consequences of Myt1 inactivation in the developing pancreas could be masked by activation of its paralogs, Myt1l and Myt3. These findings suggest Myt1 is involved in proper endocrine differentiation and function...
- Defining pancreatic endocrine precursors and their descendantsPeter White
University of Pennsylvania, Medical School, Department of Genetics, Institute for Diabetes, Obesity and Metabolism, 415 Curie Blvd, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Diabetes 57:654-68. 2008..Efforts to differentiate insulin-producing beta-cells from progenitor or stem cells require knowledge of the transcriptional programs that regulate the development of the endocrine pancreas...
- Pdx-1 and Ptf1a concurrently determine fate specification of pancreatic multipotent progenitor cellsJared S Burlison
Center for Stem Cell Biology, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, TN 37232 0225, USA
Dev Biol 316:74-86. 2008..We also found that Ptf1a is neither required for specification of Ngn3-positive endocrine progenitors nor differentiation of mature beta-cells...
- Neurogenin 2 has an essential role in development of the dentate gyrusChristophe Galichet
Division of Molecular Neurobiology, National Institute of Medical Research, The Ridgeway, Mill Hill, NW7 1AA London, UK
Development 135:2031-41. 2008..These data establish a unique role of Ngn2 in DG neurogenesis during development and raise the possibility that Ngn2 has a similar function in adult neurogenesis...
- Signals from the neural crest regulate beta-cell mass in the pancreasNada Nekrep
Diabetes Center, Hormone Research Institute, University of California at San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
Development 135:2151-60. 2008..2 form a non-cell-autonomous feedback loop that links the neural crest with the pancreatic epithelium, regulates the size of the beta-cell population, and thereby impacts insulin-secretory capacity and energy homeostasis...
- A dosage-dependent requirement for Sox9 in pancreatic endocrine cell formationPhilip A Seymour
Department of Developmental and Cell Biology, University of California, Irvine, Irvine, CA 92697 2300, USA
Dev Biol 323:19-30. 2008..Our findings therefore suggest that defective endocrine specification might underlie the pancreatic phenotype of individuals with CD...
- Sustained Neurog3 expression in hormone-expressing islet cells is required for endocrine maturation and functionSui Wang
Program in Developmental Biology and Department of Cell and Developmental Biology, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, TN 37232, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:9715-20. 2009Neurog3 (Neurogenin 3 or Ngn3) is both necessary and sufficient to induce endocrine islet cell differentiation from embryonic pancreatic progenitors...
- Presenilins, Notch dose control the fate of pancreatic endocrine progenitors during a narrow developmental windowCorentin Cras-Méneur
Division of Endocrinology, Metabolism, and Lipid Research, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
Genes Dev 23:2088-101. 2009..this pathway by targeted deletion of presenilin1 and presenilin2, the catalytic core of gamma-secretase, in Ngn3- or Pax6-expressing endocrine progenitors...
- Pancreatic neurogenin 3-expressing cells are unipotent islet precursorsRenaud Desgraz
Department of Genetic Medicine and Development, University of Geneva Medical School, 1 rue Michel Servet, 1211 Geneva 4, Switzerland
Development 136:3567-74. 2009Pancreatic islet endocrine cells arise during development from precursors expressing neurogenin 3 (Ngn3)...
- Rfx6 is an Ngn3-dependent winged helix transcription factor required for pancreatic islet cell developmentJosselin Soyer
Institute of Genetics and Molecular and Cell Biology IGBMC, INSERM U 964, CNRS UMR7104, University of Strasbourg, Illkirch, France
Development 137:203-12. 2010The transcription factor neurogenin 3 (Neurog3 or Ngn3) controls islet cell fate specification in multipotent pancreatic progenitor cells in the mouse embryo...
- Differential requirements for neurogenin 3 in the development of POMC and NPY neurons in the hypothalamusMichelle Pelling
Division of Developmental Neurobiology, MRC National Institute for Medical Research, The Ridgeway, London, NW7 1AA, UK
Dev Biol 349:406-16. 2011..We demonstrate here that Ngn3, another basic helix-loop-helix transcription factor, is expressed in mitotic progenitors in the arcuate and ..
- Neurogenin3 inhibits proliferation in endocrine progenitors by inducing Cdkn1aTakeshi Miyatsuka
Diabetes Center, Hormone Research Institute and Department of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 108:185-90. 2011..Because transient expression of Neurogenin3 (Neurog3) in progenitor cells in the developing pancreas initiates their differentiation to mature islet cells, we ..
- Sox9+ ductal cells are multipotent progenitors throughout development but do not produce new endocrine cells in the normal or injured adult pancreasJanel L Kopp
Department of Pediatrics and Cellular and Molecular Medicine, University of California San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093 0695, USA
Development 138:653-65. 2011..pancreatic injury by partial duct ligation (PDL) has been suggested to induce β-cell regeneration from a transient Ngn3(+) endocrine progenitor cell population...
- Formin1 mediates the induction of dendritogenesis and synaptogenesis by neurogenin3 in mouse hippocampal neuronsJulia Simon-Areces
Laboratory of Neuroactive Steroids, Instituto Cajal, Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Cientificas, Madrid, Spain
PLoS ONE 6:e21825. 2011..However, little is known about the molecular mechanisms involved in these actions of Ngn3. We have used a microarray analysis to identify Ngn3 regulated genes related with cytoskeleton dynamics...
- Context-specific α- to-β-cell reprogramming by forced Pdx1 expressionYu Ping Yang
Vanderbilt University Program in Developmental Biology, Department of Cell and Developmental Biology, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, Tennessee 37232, USA
Genes Dev 25:1680-5. 2011..Our findings reveal that Pdx1 can work single-handedly as a potent context-dependent autonomous reprogramming agent, and suggest a postnatal differentiation evaluation stage involved in normal endocrine maturation...
- Competence of failed endocrine progenitors to give rise to acinar but not ductal cells is restricted to early pancreas developmentAnthony Beucher
Institut de Genetique et de Biologie Moleculaire et Cellulaire, Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale U964, Centre National de Recherche Scientifique UMR 7104, Universite de Strasbourg, 67404 Illkirch, France
Dev Biol 361:277-85. 2012During mouse pancreas development, the transient expression of Neurogenin3 (Neurog3) in uncommitted pancreas progenitors is required to determine endocrine destiny...
- Homeobox gene Nkx2.2 and specification of neuronal identity by graded Sonic hedgehog signallingJ Briscoe
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biophysics, Columbia University, New York, New York 10032, USA
Nature 398:622-7. 1999..Thus, Nkx2.2 has an essential role in interpreting graded Shh signals and selecting neuronal identity...
- A novel zebrafish bHLH gene, neurogenin3, is expressed in the hypothalamusX Wang
Department of Biological Sciences, National University of Singapore, Singapore 119260, Singapore
Gene 275:47-55. 2001..Here we describe a zebrafish cDNA (neurogenin3 or ngn3) encoding a novel member of the Neurogenin family closest to mouse Ngn3 and human NGN3...
- Bile salt-stimulated carboxyl ester lipase influences lipoprotein assembly and secretion in intestine: a process mediated via ceramide hydrolysisR Jason Kirby
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, Cincinnati, Ohio 45267, USA
J Biol Chem 277:4104-9. 2002..The mechanism appears to be mediated through CEL hydrolysis of ceramide generated during the lipid absorption process...
- Persistent expression of Hlxb9 in the pancreatic epithelium impairs pancreatic developmentH Li
Umeå Center for Molecular Medicine, Umea University, Umea, SE 901 87, Sweden
Dev Biol 240:247-53. 2001..Thus, a total loss of Hlxb9 expression results in a block of the initiation of the dorsal pancreatic program, while a temporally extended expression of Hlxb9 results in a complete impairment of pancreatic development...
- Pbx1 inactivation disrupts pancreas development and in Ipf1-deficient mice promotes diabetes mellitusSeung K Kim
Department of Developmental Biology, Beckman Center B300, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, California 94305 5329, USA
Nat Genet 30:430-5. 2002..In these embryos, expression of Isl1 and Atoh5, essential regulators of pancreatic morphogenesis and differentiation, was severely reduced...
- Targeted disruption of the homeobox gene Nkx2.9 reveals a role in development of the spinal accessory nerveOliver Pabst
Department of Cell and Molecular Biology, Institute of Biochemistry and Biotechnology, Technical University of Braunschweig, 38106 Braunschweig, Germany
Development 130:1193-202. 2003..Like other Nkx genes expressed in the CNS, Nkx2.9 seems to be involved in converting positional information into cell fate decisions...
- Single-cell transcript analysis of pancreas developmentMing Ko Chiang
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Harvard University, 7 Divinity Avenue, Cambridge, MA 02138, USA
Dev Cell 4:383-93. 2003..This form of single-cell transcriptional analysis can be applied to any developmental process or tissue to characterize distinct cell types...
- FGF10 signaling maintains the pancreatic progenitor cell state revealing a novel role of Notch in organ developmentGitte Anker Norgaard
Barbara Davis Center for Childhood Diabetes, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, CO 80262, USA
Dev Biol 264:323-38. 2003..These data suggest that FGF10 signaling serves to integrate cell growth and terminal differentiation at the level of Notch activation, revealing a novel second role of this key signaling system during pancreatic development...
- Conversion of biliary system to pancreatic tissue in Hes1-deficient miceRyo Sumazaki
Department of Child Health, Institute of Clinical Medicine, University of Tsukuba, Tsukuba, Japan
Nat Genet 36:83-7. 2004..1), which represses positive basic helix-loop-helix genes such as Neurog3 (ref. 3). Expression of Hes1 is controlled by the evolutionarily conserved Notch pathway...
- Origin of exocrine pancreatic cells from nestin-positive precursors in developing mouse pancreasFarzad Esni
Department of Surgery, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 600 N Wolfe St Osler 603, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
Mech Dev 121:15-25. 2004..Within developing pancreatic epithelium, nestin is co-expressed with pdx1 and p48, but not ngn3. Epithelial nestin expression is extinguished upon differentiation of endocrine and exocrine cell types, and no ..
- Hex homeobox gene-dependent tissue positioning is required for organogenesis of the ventral pancreasRoque Bort
Cell and Developmental Biology Program, Fox Chase Cancer Center, 7701 Burholme Aveue, Philadelphia, PA 19111, USA
Development 131:797-806. 2004..Other endodermal transcription factors may also function morphogenetically rather than by directly regulating tissue-specific programs...
- Notch inhibits Ptf1 function and acinar cell differentiation in developing mouse and zebrafish pancreasFarzad Esni
Department of Surgery, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
Development 131:4213-24. 2004..These results define a normal inhibitory role for Notch in the regulation of exocrine pancreatic differentiation...
- Impaired glucose homeostasis in transgenic mice expressing the human transient neonatal diabetes mellitus locus, TNDMDan Ma
Developmental Genetics Programme, The Babraham Institute, Cambridge, United Kingdom
J Clin Invest 114:339-48. 2004..Expression of human ZAC and HYMAI in these transgenic mice thus recapitulates key features of TNDM and implicates impaired development of the endocrine pancreas and beta cell function in disease pathogenesis...
- Pancreatic islet progenitor cells in neurogenin 3-yellow fluorescent protein knock-add-on miceGeorg Mellitzer
Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale Unité 381, 3 avenue Moliere, 67200 Strasbourg, France
Mol Endocrinol 18:2765-76. 2004The basic helix-loop-helix transcription factor Neurogenin 3 (NGN3) controls endocrine cell fate specification in uncommitted pancreatic progenitor cells. Ngn3-deficient mice do not develop any islet cells and are diabetic...
- GLUCOKINASE GENE EXPRESSION IN PANCREATIC BETA CELLMark Magnuson; Fiscal Year: 2005..In Aim 3 we will determine the role of alternate RNA processing the insulin receptor in modulating both GK gene transcription and subcellular localization in the pancreatic beta cell. ..