Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Myc
Description: myelocytomatosis oncogene
Alias: AU016757, Myc2, Niard, Nird, bHLHe39, c-myc proto-oncogene, myc proto-oncogene protein, transcription factor p64
Publications171 found, 100 shown here
- Modelling Myc inhibition as a cancer therapyLaura Soucek
Department of Pathology and Helen Diller Family Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of California, San Francisco, California 94143 0875, USA
Nature 455:679-83. 2008b>Myc is a pleiotropic basic helix-loop-helix leucine zipper transcription factor that coordinates expression of the diverse intracellular and extracellular programs that together are necessary for growth and expansion of somatic cells...
- c-Myc regulates mammalian body size by controlling cell number but not cell sizeA Trumpp
Swiss Institute for Experimental Cancer Research ISREC, Ch des Boveresses 155, CH 1066 Epalinges, Switzerland
Nature 414:768-73. 2001Overexpression of the proto-oncogene c-myc has been implicated in the genesis of diverse human tumours. c-Myc seems to regulate diverse biological processes, but its role in tumorigenesis and normal physiology remains enigmatic...
- c-Myc is essential for vasculogenesis and angiogenesis during development and tumor progressionTroy A Baudino
Department of Biochemistry, St Jude Children s Research Hospital, Memphis, Tennessee 38105, USA
Genes Dev 16:2530-43. 2002c-Myc promotes cell growth and transformation by ill-defined mechanisms. c-myc(-/-) mice die by embryonic day 10.5 (E10.5) with defects in growth and in cardiac and neural development...
- Phosphorylation by glycogen synthase kinase-3 controls c-myc proteolysis and subnuclear localizationMark A Gregory
Department of Cell and Developmental Biology, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, Tennessee 37232, USA
J Biol Chem 278:51606-12. 2003The c-Myc protein is a transcription factor that is a central regulator of cell growth and proliferation...
- GSK-3 is a master regulator of neural progenitor homeostasisWoo Yang Kim
Neuroscience Center, University of North Carolina School of Medicine, Chapel Hill, North Carolina, USA
Nat Neurosci 12:1390-7. 2009..Our results indicate that GSK-3 signaling is an essential mediator of homeostatic controls that regulate neural progenitors during mammalian brain development...
- Widespread microRNA repression by Myc contributes to tumorigenesisTsung Cheng Chang
McKusick Nathans Institute of Genetic Medicine, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21205, USA
Nat Genet 40:43-50. 2008The c-Myc oncogenic transcription factor (Myc) is pathologically activated in many human malignancies. Myc is known to directly upregulate a pro-tumorigenic group of microRNAs (miRNAs) known as the miR-17-92 cluster...
- Disruption of the ARF-Mdm2-p53 tumor suppressor pathway in Myc-induced lymphomagenesisC M Eischen
Department of Biochemistry, St Jude Children s Research Hospital, Memphis, Tennessee 38105, USA
Genes Dev 13:2658-69. 1999Transgenic mice expressing the c-Myc oncogene driven by the immunoglobulin heavy chain enhancer (Emu) develop B-cell lymphoma and exhibit a mean survival time of approximately 6 months...
- Gain of MYC underlies recurrent trisomy of the MYC chromosome in acute promyelocytic leukemiaLetetia Jones
Helen Diller Family Comprehensive Cancer Center and Department of Laboratory Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
J Exp Med 207:2581-94. 2010..It has been hypothesized that gain of the MYC protooncogene is of central importance in trisomy 8, but the experimental data to support this are limited and ..
- c-Myc and beta-catenin cooperate with loss of p53 to generate multiple members of the primitive neuroectodermal tumor family in miceH Momota
Department of Cancer Biology and Genetics, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY 10021, USA
Oncogene 27:4392-401. 2008..As elevated c-Myc expression, activation of Wnt/beta-catenin signaling and dysfunction of p53 are seen in human PNETs, we ..
- Mnt loss triggers Myc transcription targets, proliferation, apoptosis, and transformationJonas A Nilsson
Department of Biochemistry, St Jude Children s Research Hospital, Memphis, Tennessee 38105, USA
Mol Cell Biol 24:1560-9. 2004b>Myc oncoproteins are overexpressed in most cancers and are sufficient to accelerate cell proliferation and provoke transformation. However, in normal cells Myc also triggers apoptosis...
- The c-myc oncogene driven by immunoglobulin enhancers induces lymphoid malignancy in transgenic miceJ M Adams
Nature 318:533-8. 1985Transgenic mice bearing the cellular myc oncogene coupled to the immunoglobulin mu or kappa enhancer frequently develop a fatal lymphoma within a few months of birth...
- Myc but not Fos rescue of PDGF signalling block caused by kinase-inactive SrcM V Barone
Differentiation Programme, European Molecular Biology Laboratory, Heidelberg, Germany
Nature 378:509-12. 1995..Both AP1 and Myc are activated in fibroblasts in response to growth factor stimulation, and various experiments suggest their ..
- Stat3 and c-Myc genome-wide promoter occupancy in embryonic stem cellsBenjamin L Kidder
EMD Serono Research Institute, Inc, Rockland, Massachusetts, United States of America
PLoS ONE 3:e3932. 2008..Stat3 and c-Myc TFs are essential for maintaining mouse ES cell self-renewal...
- Reversible tumorigenesis by MYC in hematopoietic lineagesD W Felsher
Department of Medicine, G W Hooper Foundation, San Francisco, California, USA
Mol Cell 4:199-207. 1999..we have used the tetracycline regulatory system to generate transgenic mice that conditionally express the MYC protooncogene in hematopoietic cells...
- Beta-catenin is essential for pancreatic acinar but not islet developmentL Charles Murtaugh
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology and Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA 02138, USA
Development 132:4663-74. 2005..Thus, our data are consistent with a crucial role for canonical Wnt signals in acinar lineage specification and differentiation...
- Suppression of Myc-induced apoptosis in beta cells exposes multiple oncogenic properties of Myc and triggers carcinogenic progressionStella Pelengaris
Molecular Medicine Research Center, Department of Biological Sciences, University of Warwick, Coventry CV4 7AL, United Kingdom
Cell 109:321-34. 2002To explore the role of c-Myc in carcinogenesis, we have developed a reversible transgenic model of pancreatic beta cell oncogenesis using a switchable form of the c-Myc protein...
- Alterations in nucleolar structure and gene expression programs in prostatic neoplasia are driven by the MYC oncogeneCheryl M Koh
Department of Pathology, The Johns Hopkins University, School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21231, USA
Am J Pathol 178:1824-34. 2011..We verify that activation of the MYC oncogene, which is overexpressed in most human PIN and prostatic adenocarcinomas, leads to formation of enlarged ..
- AID is required for the chromosomal breaks in c-myc that lead to c-myc/IgH translocationsDavide F Robbiani
Laboratory of Molecular Immunology, The Rockefeller University, New York, NY 10065, USA
Cell 135:1028-38. 2008..One of the most well characterized oncogenic translocations juxtaposes c-myc and the immunoglobulin heavy-chain locus (IgH) and is found in Burkitt's lymphomas in humans and plasmacytomas in ..
- Inhibition of Wnt signaling by the osteoblast-specific transcription factor OsterixChi Zhang
Department of Molecular Genetics, University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105:6936-41. 2008..5 Osx-null embryos, expression of the Wnt antagonist Dkk1 was abolished, and that of Wnt target genes c-Myc and cyclin D1 was increased. Moreover, our studies demonstrated that Osx bound to and activated the Dkk1 promoter...
- Mouse c-myc oncogene is located on chromosome 15 and translocated to chromosome 12 in plasmacytomasS Crews
Science 218:1319-21. 1982Hybridization studies with viral oncogene probes indicate that c-myc, the cellular gene homologous to the transforming gene of avian myelocytomatosis virus, resides on mouse chromosome 15 and in many plasmacytomas is translocated to the ..
- Role of c-MYC in alternative activation of human macrophages and tumor-associated macrophage biologyOscar M Pello
Istituto Clinico Humanitas, Istituto di Ricovero e Cura a Carattere Scientifico, Rozzano, Milan, Italy
Blood 119:411-21. 2012..In the present study, we report that alternative polarization of macrophages requires the transcription factor c-MYC. In macrophages, IL-4 and different stimuli sustaining M2-like polarization induce c-MYC expression and its ..
- Bim is a suppressor of Myc-induced mouse B cell leukemiaAlexander Egle
The Walter and Eliza Hall Institute of Medical Research, 1G Royal Parade, Melbourne, Victoria 3050, Australia
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101:6164-9. 2004..Bim protein levels were elevated in the apoptosis-prone B lymphoid cells of Emicro-Myc-transgenic mice, and Bim-mutant Emicro-Myc mice had increased numbers of IgM-bearing B cells...
- Severe alterations of cerebellar cortical development after constitutive activation of Wnt signaling in granule neuron precursorsAndreas Lorenz
Center for Neuropathology, Ludwig Maximilians University, 81377 Munich, Germany
Mol Cell Biol 31:3326-38. 2011..In summary, we conclude that cerebellar granule neurons essentially require appropriate levels of Wnt signaling to balance their proliferation and differentiation...
- A non-AUG translational initiation in c-myc exon 1 generates an N-terminally distinct protein whose synthesis is disrupted in Burkitt's lymphomasS R Hann
Division of Basic Sciences, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, Washington 98104
Cell 52:185-95. 1988The c-myc gene comprises three exons with a single large AUG-initiated open reading frame extending from exon 2 through exon 3. Exon 1 lacks any AUG codons...
- Pim kinase-dependent inhibition of c-Myc degradationY Zhang
School of Molecular Biosciences, Washington State University, Pullman, WA 99163, USA
Oncogene 27:4809-19. 2008..Bitransgenic mice overexpressing either Pim-1 or Pim-2 and c-Myc succumb to pre-B-cell lymphoma at a strikingly accelerated speed...
- Pre-B cell receptor-mediated activation of BCL6 induces pre-B cell quiescence through transcriptional repression of MYCRahul Nahar
Department of Laboratory Medicine, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, CA, USA
Blood 118:4174-8. 2011..Inducible activation of BCL6 downstream of the pre-B cell receptor results in transcriptional repression of MYC and CCND2...
- Conditional deletion of N-Myc disrupts neurosensory and non-sensory development of the earBenjamin Kopecky
Department of Biology, University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa, USA
Dev Dyn 240:1373-90. 2011..The proto-oncogene N-Myc is a member of the Myc family that regulates proliferation...
- c-myc in the hematopoietic lineage is crucial for its angiogenic function in the mouse embryoChen He
Pacific Vascular Research Laboratory, Division of Vascular Surgery, Departments of Surgery and Anatomy, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
Development 135:2467-77. 2008The c-myc proto-oncogene, which is crucial for the progression of many human cancers, has been implicated in key cellular processes in diverse cell types, including endothelial cells that line the blood vessels and are critical for ..
- Translational activation of the non-AUG-initiated c-myc 1 protein at high cell densities due to methionine deprivationS R Hann
Department of Cell Biology, Vanderbilt University, School of Medicine, Nashville, Tennessee 37232 2175
Genes Dev 6:1229-40. 1992c-myc belongs to a small, yet growing, group of eukaryotic mRNAs that initiate translation inefficiently from a non-AUG codon upstream from a more efficient AUG codon...
- Myc is a Notch1 transcriptional target and a requisite for Notch1-induced mammary tumorigenesis in miceApostolos Klinakis
Department of Genetics and Development, Columbia University, 1150 St Nicholas Avenue, New York, NY 10032, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:9262-7. 2006..Up-regulation of Myc in these tumors prompted a genetic investigation of a potential Notch1/Myc functional relationship in breast ..
- Burkitt lymphoma in the mouseA L Kovalchuk
Laboratory of Genetics, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
J Exp Med 192:1183-90. 2000Chromosomal translocations juxtaposing the MYC protooncogene with regulatory sequences of immunoglobulin (Ig) H chain or kappa (Ig kappa) or lambda (Ig lambda) L chain genes and effecting deregulated expression of MYC are the hallmarks ..
- Angiopoietins 3 and 4: diverging gene counterparts in mice and humansD M Valenzuela
Regeneron Pharmaceuticals, Inc, 777 Old Saw Mill River Road, Tarrytown, NY 10591, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 96:1904-9. 1999..Angiopoietin-3 and angiopoietin-4 have very different distributions in their respective species, and angiopoietin-3 appears to act as an antagonist, whereas angiopoietin-4 appears to function as an agonist...
- Dynamic regulation of c-Myc proto-oncogene expression during lymphocyte development revealed by a GFP-c-Myc knock-in mouseChing Yu Huang
Department of Pathology and Immunology, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Eur J Immunol 38:342-9. 2008c-Myc induces widely varying cellular effects, including cell proliferation and cell death...
- Loss of the Max-interacting protein Mnt in mice results in decreased viability, defective embryonic growth and craniofacial defects: relevance to Miller-Dieker syndromeKazuhito Toyo-oka
Department of Pediatrics, UCSD Cancer Center, University of California, San Diego School of Medicine, La Jolla 92093 0627, USA
Hum Mol Genet 13:1057-67. 2004..Mnt can inhibit Myc-dependent cell transformation and is hypothesized to counterbalance the effects of c-Myc on growth and ..
- Myc represses transcription through recruitment of DNA methyltransferase corepressorCarmen Brenner
Free University of Brussels, Faculty of Medicine, Laboratory of Molecular Virology, Brussels, Belgium
EMBO J 24:336-46. 2005The Myc transcription factor is an essential mediator of cell growth and proliferation through its ability to both positively and negatively regulate transcription...
- Novel targeted deregulation of c-Myc cooperates with Bcl-X(L) to cause plasma cell neoplasms in miceWan Cheung Cheung
Cell Signaling Technology Inc, Beverly, Massachusetts, USA
J Clin Invest 113:1763-73. 2004Deregulated expression of both Myc and Bcl-X(L) are consistent features of human plasma cell neoplasms (PCNs)...
- Overexpression of c-myc in diabetic mice restores altered expression of the transcription factor genes that regulate liver metabolismEfren Riu
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, School of Veterinary Medicine, and Center of Animal Biotechnology and Gene Therapy, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, E 08193 Bellaterra, Spain
Biochem J 368:931-7. 2002Overexpression of the c-Myc transcription factor in liver induces glucose uptake and utilization...
- N-myc controls proliferation, morphogenesis, and patterning of the inner earElena Dominguez-Frutos
Institute of Biology and Molecular Genetics, University of Valladolid and Spanish National Research Council, E 47003 Valladolid, Spain
J Neurosci 31:7178-89. 2011b>Myc family members play crucial roles in regulating cell proliferation, size, and differentiation during organogenesis. Both N-myc and c-myc are expressed throughout inner ear development...
- Msh2-dependent DNA repair mitigates a unique susceptibility of B cell progenitors to c-Myc-induced lymphomasRajeev M Nepal
Department of Immunology, University of Toronto, Medical Sciences Building, Toronto, Canada
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:18698-703. 2009C-Myc is one of the most common targets of genetic alterations in human cancers. Although overexpression of c-Myc in the B cell compartment predisposes to lymphomas, secondary mutations are required for disease manifestation...
- Blimp1 defines a progenitor population that governs cellular input to the sebaceous glandValerie Horsley
Laboratory of Mammalian Cell Biology and Development, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, The Rockefeller University, New York, NY 10021, USA
Cell 126:597-609. 2006..Blimp1 appears to govern cellular input into the gland since its loss leads to elevated c-myc expression, augmented cell proliferation, and SG hyperplasia...
- Bmi-1 collaborates with c-Myc in tumorigenesis by inhibiting c-Myc-induced apoptosis via INK4a/ARFJ J Jacobs
Division of Molecular Carcinogenesis, The Netherlands Cancer Institute, 1066 CX Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Genes Dev 13:2678-90. 1999The bmi-1 and myc oncogenes collaborate strongly in murine lymphomagenesis, but the basis for this collaboration was not understood...
- c-Myc acts downstream of IL-15 in the regulation of memory CD8 T-cell homeostasisTeresa Bianchi
Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research LICR, Ch des Boveresses 155, 1066 Epalinges, Switzerland
Blood 107:3992-9. 2006..Surprisingly, we show here that haploinsufficiency of the protooncogene c-myc leads to a highly selective decrease in CD44(high) CD8 T cells in mice...
- A p53 defect sensitizes various stages of B cell development to lymphomagenesis in mice carrying an IgH 3' regulatory region-driven c-myc transgeneRemi Fiancette
Faculte de Medecine, Unité Mixte de Recherche 6101, Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, 87025 Limoges, France
J Immunol 187:5772-82. 2011Although c-myc is classically described as the driving oncogene in Burkitt's lymphoma (BL), deregulation and mutations of c-myc have been reported in multiple solid tumors and in other mature B cell malignancies such as mantle cell ..
- Sensitivity to myc-induced apoptosis is retained in spontaneous and transplanted lymphomas of CD2-mycER miceK Blyth
Molecular Oncology Laboratory, University of Glasgow Veterinary School, Bearsden
Oncogene 19:773-82. 2000To study the effects of the Myc oncoprotein in a regulatable in vivo system, we generated lines of transgenic mice in which a tamoxifen inducible Myc fusion protein (c-mycER) is expressed under the control of the CD2 locus control region...
- Loss of N-myc function results in embryonic lethality and failure of the epithelial component of the embryo to developB R Stanton
Molecular Embryology Section, National Cancer Institute Frederick Cancer Research and Development Center, Maryland 21702 1201
Genes Dev 6:2235-47. 1992b>myc genes are thought to function in the processes of cellular proliferation and differentiation...
- Translocation, breakage and truncated transcripts of c-myc oncogene in murine plasmacytomasL W Stanton
Nature 303:401-6. 1983Comparative nucleotide sequence analysis of a rearranged c-myc gene in a murine plasmacytoma and c-myc cDNA from normal spleen reveals that chromosomal translocation in the plasmacytoma breaks the c-myc gene within the first exon or ..
- A null c-myc mutation causes lethality before 10.5 days of gestation in homozygotes and reduced fertility in heterozygous female miceA C Davis
Institute for Molecular Genetics, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030
Genes Dev 7:671-82. 1993To directly assess c-myc function in cellular proliferation, differentiation, and embryogenesis, we have used homologous recombination in embryonic stem cells to generate both heterozygous and homozygous c-myc mutant ES cell lines...
- Evidence from transgenic mice that myc regulates hepatic glycolysisA Valera
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, School of Veterinary Medicine, Autonomous University of Barcelona, Bellaterra, Spain
FASEB J 9:1067-78. 1995The product of the c-myc proto-oncogene (c-Myc) is involved in the control of cell proliferation, differentiation, and apoptosis. It acts as a transcription factor that recognizes the CACGTG motif...
- c-Myc and apoptosisG Packham
Department of Biochemistry, St Jude Children s Research Hospital, Memphis, TN 38105, USA
Biochim Biophys Acta 1242:11-28. 1995
- MYC overexpression induces prostatic intraepithelial neoplasia and loss of Nkx3.1 in mouse luminal epithelial cellsTsuyoshi Iwata
Department of Pathology, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America
PLoS ONE 5:e9427. 2010Lo-MYC and Hi-MYC mice develop prostatic intraepithelial neoplasia (PIN) and prostatic adenocarcinoma as a result of MYC overexpression in the mouse prostate...
- The C. elegans MDL-1 and MXL-1 proteins can functionally substitute for vertebrate MAD and MAXJ Yuan
Department of Molecular Biology, Princeton University, New Jersey 08544 1014, USA
Oncogene 17:1109-18. 1998The genes of the myc/max/mad family play an important role in controlling cell proliferation and differentiation. We have identified the first homologues of the mad and max genes in the nematode C...
- Down-regulation of c-myc and bcl-2 gene expression in PU.1-induced apoptosis in murine erythroleukemia cellsF Kihara-Negishi
Department of Cell Genetics, Sasaki Institute, Tokyo, Japan
Int J Cancer 76:523-30. 1998..Semi-quantitative RT-PCR revealed that expression of c-myc and bcl-2 genes was reduced during the apoptotic process, while expression of bax and bcl-X(L) genes was not ..
- Sequential expression of the MAD family of transcriptional repressors during differentiation and developmentC Queva
Division of Basic Sciences, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, Washington 98109 1024, USA
Oncogene 16:967-77. 1998Members of the Myc proto-oncogene family encode transcription factors that function in multiple aspects of cell behavior, including proliferation, differentiation, transformation and apoptosis...
- Negative regulation of c-Myc transcription by pancreas duodenum homeobox-1Lei Chen
International Co operation Laboratory on Signal Transduction, Eastern Hepatobiliary Surgery Institute, Second Military Medical University, 200438 Shanghai, People s Republic of China
Endocrinology 148:2168-80. 2007..duodenal homeobox factor-1 (Pdx1) is essential for pancreatic development and insulin gene transcription, whereas c-Myc has a deleterious effect on islet function. However, the relationship between c-Myc and Pdx1 is poorly concerned...
- Molecular cloning of mouse collectin liver 1Takao Kawai
Division of Food Microbiology, Osaka Prefectural Institute of Public Health, 1 3 69 Nakamichi, Higashinari ku, Osaka 537 0025, Japan
Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 66:2134-45. 2002..The mouse CL-L1 gene, Cll1 was found on chromosome 15 in a region syntenic with human chromosome 8q. CL-L1 was a highly conserved protein in mammals, birds, and fish...
- Myc and Max associate in vivoE M Blackwood
Division of Basic Sciences, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, Washington 98104
Genes Dev 6:71-80. 1992Max is a helix-loop-helix zipper protein that associates in vitro with Myc family proteins to form a sequence-specific DNA-binding complex...
- TC-PTP is required for the maintenance of MYC-driven B-cell lymphomasRyan M Young
Department of Dermatology, Charles C Gates Regenerative Medicine and Stem Cell Program, University of Colorado Denver Health Sciences Center, Aurora, CO 80045, USA
Blood 114:5016-23. 2009..We hypothesized that TC-PTP may be a tumor-promoting gene that is regulated by MYC overexpression in B cells...
- Cyclin D2-cyclin-dependent kinase 4/6 is required for efficient proliferation and tumorigenesis following Apc lossAlicia M Cole
Beatson Institute of Cancer Research, Glasgow, United Kingdom School of Biosciences, Cardiff, United Kingdom
Cancer Res 70:8149-58. 2010..activation of β-catenin/T-cell factor 4 signaling and hence transcription of Wnt target genes such as c-Myc. Our and other previous studies have shown that although cyclin D1 is required for adenoma formation, it is not ..
- Non-transcriptional control of DNA replication by c-MycDavid Dominguez-Sola
Institute for Cancer Genetics, Department of Genetics and Development and Herbert Irving Comprehensive Cancer Center, Columbia University Medical Center, New York, New York 10032, USA
Nature 448:445-51. 2007The c-Myc proto-oncogene encodes a transcription factor that is essential for cell growth and proliferation and is broadly implicated in tumorigenesis...
- Pim family kinases enhance tumor growth of prostate cancer cellsWei Wei Chen
Hollings Cancer Center, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, SC 29425, USA
Mol Cancer Res 3:443-51. 2005..We have found that the cellular levels of c-Myc were elevated in the Pim-1 and Pim-2 transfectants under these conditions...
- Miz1 is required for early embryonic development during gastrulationSovana Adhikary
Institute for Molecular Biology and Tumor Research Institute for Cytobiology and Cytopathology, University of Marburg, 35033 Marburg, Germany
Mol Cell Biol 23:7648-57. 2003Miz1 is a member of the POZ domain/zinc finger transcription factor family. In vivo, Miz1 forms a complex with the Myc oncoprotein and recruits Myc to core promoter elements. Myc represses transcription through Miz1 binding sites...
- MYC in mammalian epidermis: how can an oncogene stimulate differentiation?Fiona M Watt
Cancer Research UK Cambridge Research Institute, Li Ka Shing Centre, Robinson Way, Cambridge CB2 0RE, UK
Nat Rev Cancer 8:234-42. 2008b>MYC in human epidermal stem cells can stimulate differentiation rather than uncontrolled proliferation. This discovery was, understandably, greeted with scepticism by researchers...
- The E mu-myc transgenic mouse. A model for high-incidence spontaneous lymphoma and leukemia of early B cellsA W Harris
Walter and Eliza Hall Institute of Medical Research, Victoria, Australia
J Exp Med 167:353-71. 1988Mice transgenic for a c-myc gene driven by the IgH enhancer (E mu-myc) were shown to almost invariably develop lymphomas, 90% succumbing in the first 5 mo of life...
- Subcellular localization of glycogen synthase kinase 3beta controls embryonic stem cell self-renewalMatthew Bechard
Paul D Coverdell Center for Biomedical and Health Sciences, Athens, Georgia 30602, USA
Mol Cell Biol 29:2092-104. 2009Phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase (PI3K), protein kinase B (AKT1), and c-myc have well-established roles in promoting the maintenance of murine embryonic stem cells (mESCs)...
- C-myc as a modulator of renal stem/progenitor cell populationMartin Couillard
Institut de Recherches Cliniques de Montreal, Molecular Genetics and Development, Faculte de Medecine de l Universite de Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Dev Dyn 238:405-14. 2009The role of c-myc has been well-studied in gene regulation and oncogenesis but remains elusive in murine development from midgestation...
- Transgenic mouse model for synergistic effects of nuclear oncogenes and growth factors in tumorigenesis: interaction of c-myc and transforming growth factor alpha in hepatic oncogenesisH Murakami
Laboratory of Experimental Carcinogenesis, National Cancer Institute, NIH, Bethesda, Maryland 20892
Cancer Res 53:1719-23. 1993Double transgenic mice bearing fusion genes consisting of mouse albumin enhancer/promoter-mouse c-myc complementary DNA and mouse metallothionein 1 promoter-human transforming growth factor alpha complementary DNA were generated to ..
- Distinct thresholds govern Myc's biological output in vivoDaniel J Murphy
Department of Pathology, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
Cancer Cell 14:447-57. 2008Deregulated Myc triggers a variety of intrinsic tumor suppressor programs that serve to restrain Myc's oncogenic potential...
- Activation of beta-Catenin in mouse prostate causes HGPIN and continuous prostate growth after castrationXiuping Yu
Department of Urologic Surgery, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Prostate 69:249-62. 2009..Although stabilizing mutations in APC and beta-Catenin are rare in primary prostate tumors, recent studies suggest that cytoplasmic/nuclear beta-Catenin is associated with advanced, metastatic, hormone-refractory prostate carcinoma...
- Ikaros and Aiolos inhibit pre-B-cell proliferation by directly suppressing c-Myc expressionShibin Ma
Department of Genetics, Cell Biology, and Anatomy, University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE 68198 5805, USA
Mol Cell Biol 30:4149-58. 2010..driven by signals from the interleukin-7 receptor and the pre-B-cell receptor and is dependent on cyclin D3 and c-Myc. We have shown previously that interferon regulatory factors 4 and 8 induce the expression of Ikaros and Aiolos to ..
- The MYC protein activates transcription of the alpha-prothymosin geneM Eilers
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, University of California San Francisco 94143 0552
EMBO J 10:133-41. 1991The proto-oncogene MYC encodes a nuclear protein whose biochemical and physiological functions remain uncertain. We used an estrogen-regulated version of the MYC protein to explore these functions...
- Analysis of C-MYC function in normal cells via conditional gene-targeted mutationI M de Alboran
Howard Hughes Medical Institute and Children s, Hospital, Center for Blood Research and Department of Genetics, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Immunity 14:45-55. 2001Germline inactivation of c-myc in mice causes embryonic lethality. Therefore, we developed a LoxP/Cre-based conditional mutation approach to test the role of c-myc in mouse embryonic fibroblasts (MEFs) and mature B lymphocytes...
- Myc regulates keratinocyte adhesion and differentiation via complex formation with Miz1Anneli Gebhardt
Institute for Cell Biology, University of Marburg, 35033 Marburg, Germany
J Cell Biol 172:139-49. 2006b>Myc plays a key role in homeostasis of the skin. We show that Miz1, which mediates Myc repression of gene expression, is expressed in the epidermal basal layer...
- Role of genomic instability and p53 in AID-induced c-myc-Igh translocationsAlmudena R Ramiro
Laboratory of Molecular Immunology, The Rockefeller University, Universidad Autonoma de Madrid, Madrid 28049, Spain
Nature 440:105-9. 2006..Here we find that translocations between c-myc and the IgH locus (Igh) are induced in primary B cells within hours of expression of the catalytically active form ..
- Interactions between cells with distinct mutations in c-MYC and Pten in prostate cancerJongchan Kim
Department of Pathology, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, TN, USA
PLoS Genet 5:e1000542. 2009..Here we have modeled sporadic oncogene activation using a transgenic mouse in which c-MYC is focally activated in prostate luminal epithelial cells...
- Egr-1 abrogates the block imparted by c-Myc on terminal M1 myeloid differentiationMarianna Shafarenko
Fels Institute for Cancer Research and Molecular Biology, Temple University School of Medicine, 3307 N Broad St, Philadelphia, PA 19140, USA
Blood 106:871-8. 2005..In addition, we have shown that deregulated expression of the proto-oncogene c-myc blocks the myeloid terminal differentiation program...
- The MMTV/c-myc transgene and p53 null alleles collaborate to induce T-cell lymphomas, but not mammary carcinomas in transgenic miceA Elson
Department of Genetics, Harvard Medical School, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Oncogene 11:181-90. 1995A number of properties of the cancer-related genes c-myc and p53 suggest that they might collaborate to induce tumorigenesis...
- c-Myc regulates cell size and ploidy but is not essential for postnatal proliferation in liverEsther Baena
Department of Immunology and Oncology, Centro Nacional de Biotecnología Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Científicas, Universidad Autonoma de Madrid, Cantoblanco, E 28049 Madrid, Spain
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:7286-91. 2005The c-Myc protein is a transcription factor implicated in the regulation of multiple biological processes, including cell proliferation, cell growth, and apoptosis...
- C-Myc and its target FoxM1 are critical downstream effectors of constitutive androstane receptor (CAR) mediated direct liver hyperplasiaWilliam E Blanco-Bose
Genetics and Stem Cell Laboratory, Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne EPFL, ISREC Swiss Institute for Experimental Cancer Research, Epalinges, Switzerland
Hepatology 48:1302-11. 2008..In this study, we identify c-Myc as a gene induced by CAR and demonstrate that TCPOBOP-induced proliferation of hepatocytes depends on c-Myc ..
- Multiple mechanisms of tumorigenesis in E mu-myc transgenic miceC L Sidman
Department of Molecular Genetics, Biochemistry, and Microbiology, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, Ohio 45267
Cancer Res 53:1665-9. 1993Transgenic mice bearing a c-myc oncogene under control of the immunoglobulin heavy chain enhancer (E mu-myc mice) reproducibly develop and die from tumors of the B lymphocyte lineage (J.M. Adams, A.W. Harris, C.A. Pinkert, L.M...
- Placental rescue reveals a sole requirement for c-Myc in embryonic erythroblast survival and hematopoietic stem cell functionNicole C Dubois
Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne, Swiss Institute for Experimental Cancer Research, School of Life Science, 1066 Epalinges, Switzerland
Development 135:2455-65. 2008The c-Myc protein has been implicated in playing a pivotal role in regulating the expression of a large number of genes involved in many aspects of cellular function...
- Suppression of Myc oncogenic activity by ribosomal protein haploinsufficiencyMaria Barna
Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics, University of California San Francisco, Rock Hall Room 384C, 1550 Fourth Street, San Francisco, California 94158 2517, USA
Nature 456:971-5. 2008The Myc oncogene regulates the expression of several components of the protein synthetic machinery, including ribosomal proteins, initiation factors of translation, RNA polymerase III and ribosomal DNA...
- Myc stimulates B lymphocyte differentiation and amplifies calcium signalingTania Habib
Department of Comparative Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
J Cell Biol 179:717-31. 2007Deregulated expression of the Myc family of transcription factors (c-, N-, and L-myc) contributes to the development of many cancers by a mechanism believed to involve the stimulation of cell proliferation and inhibition of ..
- AID-deficient Bcl-xL transgenic mice develop delayed atypical plasma cell tumors with unusual Ig/Myc chromosomal rearrangementsAlexander L Kovalchuk
Laboratory of Cancer Biology and Genetics, Cancer Genomics Section, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
J Exp Med 204:2989-3001. 2007..and somatic hypermutation, and has also been implicated in translocations between Ig switch regions and c-Myc in plasma cell tumors in mice...
- Spontaneous mammary adenocarcinomas in transgenic mice that carry and express MTV/myc fusion genesT A Stewart
Cell 38:627-37. 1984We have produced 13 strains of transgenic mice that carry an otherwise normal mouse myc gene in which increasingly larger portions of the myc promoter region have been replaced by a hormonally inducible mouse mammary tumor virus promoter...
- Endogenous bcl-2 is not required for the development of Emu-myc-induced B-cell lymphomaPriscilla N Kelly
Walter and Eliza Hall Institute of Medical Research, 1G Royal Parade, Parkville, 3050 Victoria, Melbourne, Australia
Blood 109:4907-13. 2007Although myc and bcl-2 synergize in tumor development, particularly lymphomagenesis, it is not known whether endogenous bcl-2 is required for myc-induced tumorigenesis...
- N-myc is an essential downstream effector of Shh signaling during both normal and neoplastic cerebellar growthBeryl A Hatton
Clinical Research Division, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98109, USA
Cancer Res 66:8655-61. 2006We examined the genetic requirements for the Myc family of oncogenes in normal Sonic hedgehog (Shh)-mediated cerebellar granule neuronal precursor (GNP) expansion and in Shh pathway-induced medulloblastoma formation...
- Hypertrophic growth in cardiac myocytes is mediated by Myc through a Cyclin D2-dependent pathwayWeiguang Zhong
The Cardiovascular Research Laboratories, Department of Medicine, UCLA School of Medicine, Los Angeles, California, USA
EMBO J 25:3869-79. 2006c-Myc (Myc) is highly expressed in developing embryos where it regulates body size by controlling proliferation but not cell size...
- Cell-specific regulation of the c-myc gene by lymphocyte mitogens and platelet-derived growth factorK Kelly
Cell 35:603-10. 1983We show that c-myc is an inducible gene that is regulated by specific growth signals in a cell-cycle-dependent manner...
- Long form of latent TGF-beta binding protein 1 (Ltbp1L) is essential for cardiac outflow tract septation and remodelingVesna Todorovic
Cell Biology Department, NYU School of Medicine, New York, NY 10016, USA
Development 134:3723-32. 2007..This phenotype reveals a crucial role for Ltbp1L and matrix as extracellular regulators of Tgf-beta activity in heart organogenesis...
- Acceleration of c-myc-induced hepatocarcinogenesis by Co-expression of transforming growth factor (TGF)-alpha in transgenic mice is associated with TGF-beta1 signaling disruptionE Santoni-Rugiu
Laboratory of Experimental Carcinogenesis, Division of Basic Sciences, National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
Am J Pathol 154:1693-700. 1999We have previously shown in transgenic mice that transforming growth factor (TGF)-alpha dramatically enhances c-myc-induced hepatocarcinogenesis by promoting proliferation and survival of hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) cells...
- N-myc is essential during neurogenesis for the rapid expansion of progenitor cell populations and the inhibition of neuronal differentiationPaul S Knoepfler
Division of Basic Sciences, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, Washington 98109, USA
Genes Dev 16:2699-712. 2002To address the role of N-myc in neurogenesis and in nervous system tumors, it was conditionally disrupted in neuronal progenitor cells (NPCs) with a nestin-Cre transgene...
- c-Myc-deficient B lymphocytes are resistant to spontaneous and induced cell deathI Moreno de Alborán
Department of Immunology and Oncology DIO Pharmacia CSIC, Centro Nacional de Biotecnologia CNB CSIC, Universidad Autonoma de Madrid, Cantoblanco, Madrid 28049, Spain
Cell Death Differ 11:61-8. 2004C-myc gene is a member of the myc family of proto-oncogenes involved in proliferation, differentiation, and apoptosis...
- Scaffold attachment regions stimulate HSP70.1 expression in mouse preimplantation embryos but not in differentiated tissuesE M Thompson
Unite de Biologie du Developpement, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, Jouy en Josas, France
Mol Cell Biol 14:4694-703. 1994..These results suggest a limited capacity of SARs to act as insulating elements but are consistent with a proposed model of SAR-mediated chromatin opening and closing...
- Prostatic neoplasia in transgenic mice with prostate-directed overexpression of the c-myc oncoproteinX Zhang
Department of Urology, College of Physicians and Surgeons of Columbia University, New York, New York 10032, USA
Prostate 43:278-85. 2000..In order to test the in vivo effects of chronic overexpression of the mouse c-myc protooncogene on the prostate glands of transgenic mice, we created several lines of C(3)1-c-myc transgenic mice ..
- Regionally restricted expression of the transcription factor c-myc intron 1 binding protein during brain developmentDaniel B Campbell
Department of Pharmacology, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, Tennessee 37232, USA
J Comp Neurol 467:581-92. 2003..In a screen of developing cerebral cortex, we identified the transcription factor c-myc intron 1 binding protein (mibp1) due to its abundant expression...
- Characterization of pal-1, a common proviral insertion site in murine leukemia virus-induced lymphomas of c-myc and Pim-1 transgenic miceB Scheijen
Division of Molecular Genetics, The Netherlands Cancer Institute, Amsterdam
J Virol 71:9-16. 1997Insertional mutagenesis with Moloney murine leukemia virus (MoMLV) in c-myc and Pim-1 transgenic mice permits the identification of oncogenes that collaborate with the transgenes in lymphomagenesis...
- Direct activation of HSP90A transcription by c-Myc contributes to c-Myc-induced transformationShu Chun Teng
Institute of Biochemistry, National Yang Ming University, Taipei 112, Taiwan
J Biol Chem 279:14649-55. 2004The c-myc proto-oncogene encodes a ubiquitous transcription factor involved in the control of cell growth and differentiation and implicated in inducing tumorigenesis...
- The essential cofactor TRRAP recruits the histone acetyltransferase hGCN5 to c-MycS B McMahon
Department of Molecular Biology, Princeton University, Princeton, New Jersey 08544 1014, USA
Mol Cell Biol 20:556-62. 2000The c-Myc protein functions as a transcription factor to facilitate oncogenic transformation; however, the biochemical and genetic pathways leading to transformation remain undefined...
- The alternatively initiated c-Myc proteins differentially regulate transcription through a noncanonical DNA-binding siteS R Hann
Department of Cell Biology, Vanderbilt University, School of Medicine, Nashville, Tennessee 37232 2175
Genes Dev 8:2441-52. 1994The myc proto-oncogene family has been implicated in multiple cellular processes, including proliferation, differentiation, and apoptosis...
- Sustained loss of a neoplastic phenotype by brief inactivation of MYCMeenakshi Jain
Division of Oncology, Departments of Medicine and Pathology, Stanford University, Stanford, CA 94305 5151, USA
Science 297:102-4. 2002..We used a conditional transgenic mouse model for MYC-induced tumorigenesis to demonstrate that brief inactivation of MYC results in the sustained regression of tumors ..
- Deregulation of c-Myc Confers distinct survival requirements for memory B cells, plasma cells, and their progenitorsSefat E Khuda
Department of Microbiology, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA 22908, USA
J Immunol 181:7537-49. 2008Deregulation of the c-Myc oncogene is tightly associated with human and murine plasma cell (PC) neoplasms...
- FUNCTION OF A DUAL SPECIFICITY TRANSCRIPTION FACTORPeter Hurlin; Fiscal Year: 2003DESCRIPTION (adapted from the applicant's desciption): The Myc family proteins play fundamental roles in controlling cell proliferation, and frequently contribute to oncogenesis...
- P21 transcriptional inhibitors as proapoptotic compoundsAndrei Gartel; Fiscal Year: 2003..This study may improve treatment of cancer by leading to the identification of new compounds that will increase the efficiency of cell death promoting anticancer drugs for cancer treatment. ..
- Inactivation of the Muc2 gene and colorectal cancerAnna Velcich; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Myc Antagonism and Tumor Suppression by MntPeter Hurlin; Fiscal Year: 2008The Myc family of transcripton factors play a fundamental role in regulating cell proliferation and can promote tumorigenesis when deregulated and/or overexpressed...
- Mechanisms of endoderm specification along the A-P axis.James M Wells; Fiscal Year: 2010..Additionally, this information should allow us to coax embryonic stem cells into becoming important transplantable derivatives of endoderm, such as insulin-producing beta cells to treat patients with Type 1 diabetes. ..
- Colon Cell Differentiation: NAB and MUC2 Gene ExpressionAnna Velcich; Fiscal Year: 2009..5. Finally, we will extend our use of microarray technology to determine how NaB perturbs profiles of gene expression that define lineage specific differentiation (Velcich et al., submitted). ..