Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Mapk3
Description: mitogen-activated protein kinase 3
Alias: Erk-1, Erk1, Ert2, Esrk1, Mnk1, Mtap2k, Prkm3, p44, p44erk1, p44mapk, mitogen-activated protein kinase 3, MAP kinase 3, extracellular signal-regulated kinase 1, insulin-stimulated MAP2 kinase, microtubule-associated protein 2 kinase, p44 MAP kinase, pp42/MAP kinase
Publications148 found, 100 shown here
- Extracellular signal-regulated kinase 2 is necessary for mesoderm differentiationYao Yao
Department of Biology, Vertex Pharmaceuticals, 130 Waverly Street, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 100:12759-64. 2003..erk2 null embryonic stem (ES) cells exhibited reduced total ERK activity upon serum stimulation, augmented ERK1 phosphorylation, and decreased downstream p90Rsk phosphorylation and activity; yet ES cell proliferation was ..
- Knockout of ERK1 MAP kinase enhances synaptic plasticity in the striatum and facilitates striatal-mediated learning and memoryCristina Mazzucchelli
San Raffaele Research Institute and University, Via Olgettina 58, 20132 Milano, Italy
Neuron 34:807-20. 2002Extracellular signal-regulated kinases (ERK1 and 2) are synaptic signaling components necessary for several forms of learning...
- Molecular interpretation of ERK signal duration by immediate early gene productsLeon O Murphy
Department of Cell Biology, Harvard Medical School, 240 Longwood Avenue, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Nat Cell Biol 4:556-64. 2002..We show that the immediate early gene product c-Fos functions as a sensor for ERK1 (extracellular-signal-regulated kinase 1) and ERK2 signal duration...
- An essential function of the mitogen-activated protein kinase Erk2 in mouse trophoblast developmentMarc K Saba-El-Leil
Institut de Recherches Cliniques de Montréal and Department of Pharmacology, Universite de Montreal, 110 Pine Avenue West, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H2W 1R7
EMBO Rep 4:964-8. 2003The closely related mitogen-activated protein kinase isoforms extracellular signal-regulated kinase 1 (ERK1) and ERK2 have been implicated in the control of cell proliferation, differentiation and survival...
- The stability of eukaryotic initiation factor 2-associated glycoprotein, p67, increases during skeletal muscle differentiation and that inhibits the phosphorylation of extracellular signal-regulated kinases 1 and 2Bansidhar Datta
Department of Chemistry, Kent State University, Kent, OH 44242, United States
Exp Cell Res 303:174-82. 2005..p67 binds to ERK2 and inhibits its activity in vitro. Taken together, these results suggest that the stability of p67 increases during myotube formation while inhibiting the phosphorylation of ERKs 1 and 2...
- The extracellular signal-regulated kinase isoform ERK1 is specifically required for in vitro and in vivo adipogenesisFrederic Bost
Institut National de la Sante et de la Recherche Medicale, Unité 568, IFR 50, Faculte de Medecine, Universite de Nice Sophia Antipolis, Avenue de Valombrose, Nice, France
Diabetes 54:402-11. 2005..Using ERK1(-/-) mice, we investigated the role of this isoform in adipose tissue development...
- Sprouty1 is a critical regulator of GDNF/RET-mediated kidney inductionM Albert Basson
Department of Medicine, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, One Gustave L Levy Place, New York, New York, USA
Dev Cell 8:229-39. 2005..These results demonstrate the importance of negative feedback regulation of RTK signaling during kidney induction and suggest that failures in feedback control may underlie some human congenital kidney malformations...
- Wnt/beta-catenin signaling acts upstream of N-myc, BMP4, and FGF signaling to regulate proximal-distal patterning in the lungWeiguo Shu
Department of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Dev Biol 283:226-39. 2005..Thus, Wnt/beta-catenin signaling is a critical upstream regulator of proximal-distal patterning in the lung, in part, through regulation of N-myc, BMP4, and FGF signaling...
- The dual-specificity protein phosphatase DUSP9/MKP-4 is essential for placental function but is not required for normal embryonic developmentGraham R Christie
Cancer Research UK Molecular Pharmacology Unit, Biomedical Research Centre, Level 5, Ninewells Hospital and Medical School, Dundee DD1 9SY, Scotland, United Kingdom
Mol Cell Biol 25:8323-33. 2005....
- The role of erk1 and erk2 in multiple stages of T cell developmentApril M Fischer
Division of Biological Sciences, Department of Cellular and Molecular Medicine, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, California 92093 0377, USA
Immunity 23:431-43. 2005..In this report, we present an analysis of mice with targeted deletions in Erk1 and Erk2 to assess the relationship between Erk activity and cell-cycle progression, thymocyte development, and ..
- Continuous ERK activation downregulates antiproliferative genes throughout G1 phase to allow cell-cycle progressionTakuya Yamamoto
Department of Cell and Developmental Biology, Graduate School of Biostudies, Kyoto University, Kyoto 606 8502, Japan
Curr Biol 16:1171-82. 2006....
- ERK1 and ERK2 mitogen-activated protein kinases affect Ras-dependent cell signaling differentiallyChiara Vantaggiato
Istituto Scientifico San Raffaele and Università Vita Salute San Raffaele, Via Olgettina 58, 20132 Milano, Italy
J Biol 5:14. 2006The mitogen-activated protein (MAP) kinases p44ERK1 and p42ERK2 are crucial components of the regulatory machinery underlying normal and malignant cell proliferation...
- Hippocampal Mek/Erk signaling mediates extinction of contextual freezing behaviorAndre Fischer
Max Planck Institute for Experimental Medicine, Laboratory on Cell Mechanisms of Memory, Goettingen, Germany
Neurobiol Learn Mem 87:149-58. 2007..On the basis of these findings, we propose that hippocampal Mek/Erk signaling might serve as one of the key mediators of contextual fear extinction...
- Raf kinase signaling functions in sensory neuron differentiation and axon growth in vivoJian Zhong
Neuroscience Center, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599 7250, USA
Nat Neurosci 10:598-607. 2007..We conclude that Raf function is crucial for several aspects of DRG neuron development, including differentiation and axon growth...
- Regulatory mechanisms of fear extinction and depression-like behaviorNatalie C Tronson
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
Neuropsychopharmacology 33:1570-83. 2008..Wild-type and ERK1-deficient mice were used to study the dorsohippocampal actions of the putative ERK activators: mitogen-activated ..
- Erk kinases link pre-B cell receptor signaling to transcriptional events required for early B cell expansionTomoharu Yasuda
Laboratory for Lymphocyte Differentiation, RIKEN Research Center for Allergy and Immunology, Tsurumi ku, Yokohama, Kanagawa 230 0045, Japan
Immunity 28:499-508. 2008..Here, we demonstrate that deletion of both Erk1 and Erk2 kinases was associated with defective pre-BCR-mediated cell expansion as well as a block in the transition ..
- DUSP6 (MKP3) null mice show enhanced ERK1/2 phosphorylation at baseline and increased myocyte proliferation in the heart affecting disease susceptibilityMarjorie Maillet
Department of Pediatrics, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati Children s Hospital Medical Center, Cincinnati, Ohio 45229 3039, USA
J Biol Chem 283:31246-55. 2008..Here we investigated the physiological role that extracellular signal-regulated kinases 1/2 (ERK1/2) dephosphorylation plays in vivo through targeted disruption of the gene encoding dual-specificity phosphatase 6 (..
- Fast regulation of AP-1 activity through interaction of lamin A/C, ERK1/2, and c-Fos at the nuclear envelopeJosé María González
Laboratory of Vascular Biology, Department of Molecular and Cellular Pathology and Therapy, Instituto de Biomedicina de Valencia, Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Cientificas CSIC, Valencia, Spain
J Cell Biol 183:653-66. 2008..nuclear fraction (ERNF) and its interaction with lamin A are reduced and enhanced by gain-of and loss-of ERK1/2 activity, respectively...
- Cell-autonomous requirements for Dlg-1 for lens epithelial cell structure and fiber cell morphogenesisCharlene Rivera
Department of Anatomy, University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health, Madison, Wisconsin 53706, USA
Dev Dyn 238:2292-308. 2009..These fiber cell defects were recapitulated when Dlg-1 was disrupted only in fiber cells. These results suggest that Dlg-1 acts in a cell autonomous manner to regulate epithelial cell structure and fiber cell differentiation...
- Overlapping functions of nuclear envelope proteins NET25 (Lem2) and emerin in regulation of extracellular signal-regulated kinase signaling in myoblast differentiationMichael D Huber
Department of Cell Biology, IMM 10, The Scripps Research Institute, 10550 North Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Mol Cell Biol 29:5718-28. 2009..Our work supports the hypothesis that deregulation of cell signaling contributes to NE-linked disorders and suggests that mutations in NET25 and MAN1 may cause muscle diseases...
- Genetic targeting of ERK1 suggests a predominant role for ERK2 in murine pain modelsBenedict J Alter
Department of Anesthesiology, Washington University Pain Center, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
J Neurosci 30:11537-47. 2010The extracellular signal-regulated kinase (ERK) isoforms, ERK1 and ERK2, are believed to be key signaling molecules in nociception and nociceptive sensitization...
- Hypersensitivity to mGluR5 and ERK1/2 leads to excessive protein synthesis in the hippocampus of a mouse model of fragile X syndromeEmily K Osterweil
Department of Brain and Cognitive Sciences, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Picower Institute for Learning and Memory, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02139, USA
J Neurosci 30:15616-27. 2010..basal protein synthesis in Fmr1 KO mice is selectively reduced to wild-type levels by acute inhibition of mGluR5 or ERK1/2, but not by inhibition of mTOR (mammalian target of rapamycin)...
- The GDNF target Vsnl1 marks the ureteric tipRoxana Ola
Biochemistry and Developmental Biology, Institute of Biomedicine, P O Box 63, Haartmaninkatu 8, University of Helsinki, FIN 00014, Finland
J Am Soc Nephrol 22:274-84. 2011..In summary, Vsnl1 marks ureteric bud tips in embryonic kidneys, and its mosaic pattern demonstrates a heterogeneity of cell types that may be critical for normal ureteric branching...
- Conditional deletion of Dicer in vascular smooth muscle cells leads to the developmental delay and embryonic mortalityYaoqian Pan
Department of Physiology, University of Tennessee Health Science Center, Memphis, TN 38163, United States
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 408:369-74. 2011..5. Expression of most miRNAs examined was compromised in VSMCs of Dicer KO. Our results indicate that Dicer is required for vascular development and regulates vascular remodeling by modulating VSMC proliferation and differentiation...
- c-Raf, but not B-Raf, is essential for development of K-Ras oncogene-driven non-small cell lung carcinomaRafael B Blasco
Molecular Oncology, Centro Nacional de Investigaciones Oncologicas CNIO, E 28029 Madrid, Spain
Cancer Cell 19:652-63. 2011..Ablation of Erk1 or Erk2 in K-Ras oncogene-expressing lung cells had no significant effect due to compensatory activities...
- DiGeorge syndrome critical region 8 (DGCR8) protein-mediated microRNA biogenesis is essential for vascular smooth muscle cell development in miceZixuan Chen
Department of Physiology, Campbell Clinic, University of Tennessee Health Science Center, Memphis, Tennessee 38163, USA
J Biol Chem 287:19018-28. 2012..marker genes, including αSMA, SM22, and CNN1, were significantly down-regulated, and the survival pathways of ERK1/2 mitogen-activated protein kinase and the phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase/AKT were attenuated...
- Six1 regulates stem cell repair potential and self-renewal during skeletal muscle regenerationFabien Le Grand
Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale U1016, Institut Cochin, Paris 75014, France
J Cell Biol 198:815-32. 2012..Moreover, we demonstrate that Six1 regulates the extracellular signal-regulated kinase 1/2 (ERK1/2) pathway during regeneration via direct control of Dusp6 transcription...
- Frs2α enhances fibroblast growth factor-mediated survival and differentiation in lens developmentBhavani P Madakashira
Department of Zoology, Miami University, Oxford, OH 45056, USA
Development 139:4601-12. 2012..Lens epithelial cells express numerous RTKs with the ability to initiate the phosphorylation (activation) of Erk1/2 and PI3-K/Akt signaling...
- PTP-SL and STEP protein tyrosine phosphatases regulate the activation of the extracellular signal-regulated kinases ERK1 and ERK2 by association through a kinase interaction motifR Pulido
Department of Molecular Biology, Max Planck Institut fur Biochemie, Am Klopferspitz 18a, 82152 Martinsried, Germany
EMBO J 17:7337-50. 1998Protein kinases and phosphatases regulate the activity of extracellular signal-regulated kinases 1 and 2 (ERK1/2) by controlling the phosphorylation of specific residues...
- Defective thymocyte maturation in p44 MAP kinase (Erk 1) knockout miceG Pages
Institute of Signaling, Developmental Biology and Cancer Research, CNRS UMR 6543, Centre A Lacassagne, 33 Avenue de Valombrose, 06189 Nice, France
Science 286:1374-7. 1999The p42 and p44 mitogen-activated protein kinases (MAPKs), also called Erk2 and Erk1, respectively, have been implicated in proliferation as well as in differentiation programs...
- Mice lacking the ERK1 isoform of MAP kinase are unimpaired in emotional learningJ C Selcher
Division of Neuroscience, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Learn Mem 8:11-9. 2001..To investigate the specific contribution of the ERK1 (p44) isoform of MAPK to mammalian learning, we performed a general behavioral and physiological characterization ..
- Erk MAP kinase regulates branching morphogenesis in the developing mouse kidneyC E Fisher
Centre for Developmental Biology, Department of Biomedical Sciences, University of Edinburgh, George Square, Edinburgh, UK
Development 128:4329-38. 2001..MAP kinase is therefore essential for normal branching morphogenesis of the ureteric bud, and lies downstream of significant extracellular regulators of ureteric bud development...
- Mutant p53 is constitutively phosphorylated at Serine 15 in UV-induced mouse skin tumors: involvement of ERK1/2 MAP kinaseVladislava O Melnikova
Department of Immunology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, 1515 Holcombe Blvd, Box 178, Houston, TX 77030 4009, USA
Oncogene 22:5958-66. 2003..phosphorylation of mutant p53, we tested the involvement of a wide range of protein kinases and found that ERK1/2 mitogen-activated protein kinase was physically associated with mutant p53 in the nucleus...
- Phosphorylation-dependent paxillin-ERK association mediates hepatocyte growth factor-stimulated epithelial morphogenesisShuta Ishibe
Section of Nephrology, Department of Internal Medicine, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06520, USA
Mol Cell 12:1275-85. 2003..These experiments reveal that paxillin-dependent ERK activation at sites of cell-matrix interaction is critical for HGF-stimulated epithelial morphogenesis...
- Disruption of Erk-dependent type I interferon induction breaks the myxoma virus species barrierFuan Wang
Robarts Research Institute, and Department of Microbiology and Immunology, The University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario N6G 2V4, Canada
Nat Immunol 5:1266-74. 2004..Thus, the Erk-interferon-STAT1 signaling cascade elicited by myxoma virus in nonpermissive primary mouse embryo fibroblasts mediates an innate cellular barrier to poxvirus infection...
- Requirement for Map2k1 (Mek1) in extra-embryonic ectoderm during placentogenesisVickram Bissonauth
Centre de recherche en cancérologie de l Université Laval, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire de Quebec, L Hôtel Dieu de Québec, Quebec, QC G1R 2J6, Canada
Development 133:3429-40. 2006..Although the activation of MAP2K1 and MAP2K2 is widespread in the labyrinthine region, MAPK1 and MAPK3 activation is restricted to the cells lining the maternal sinuses, suggesting an important role for the ERK/MAPK ..
- An FGF response pathway that mediates hepatic gene induction in embryonic endoderm cellsAmelie Calmont
Cell and Developmental Biology Program, Fox Chase Cancer Center, 333 Cottman Avenue, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19111, USA
Dev Cell 11:339-48. 2006..The finding of separate pathways for endoderm tissue specification and growth provides insights for guiding cellular regeneration and stem cell differentiation...
- Dusp6 (Mkp3) is a negative feedback regulator of FGF-stimulated ERK signaling during mouse developmentChaoying Li
Department of Human Genetics, University of Utah, 15 N 2030 E RM 2100, Salt Lake City, UT 84112 5330, USA
Development 134:167-76. 2007....
- Differential effects of beta-arrestins on the internalization, desensitization and ERK1/2 activation downstream of protease activated receptor-2P Kumar
Div of Biomedical Sciences, University of California, Riverside, CA 92521, USA
Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 293:C346-57. 2007..It has been previously shown that beta-arrestins are required for signal termination, internalization, and ERK1/2 activation downstream of protease-activated-receptor-2 (PAR-2), but it is unclear whether they are functionally ..
- Multiple dose-dependent roles for Sox2 in the patterning and differentiation of anterior foregut endodermJianwen Que
Department of Cell Biology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Development 134:2521-31. 2007..These findings suggest that Sox2 plays a second role in establishing the boundary between the keratinized, squamous esophagus/forestomach and glandular hindstomach...
- Mediating ERK 1/2 signaling rescues congenital heart defects in a mouse model of Noonan syndromeTomoki Nakamura
Cincinnati Children s Hospital Medical Center, The Children s Hospital Research Foundation, Division of Molecular Cardiovascular Biology, Cincinnati, Ohio 45229 3039, USA
J Clin Invest 117:2123-32. 2007..Fetal expression of Q79R led to the specific activation of the ERK1/2 pathway, and breeding of the Q79R transgenics into ERK1/2-null backgrounds confirmed the pathway's necessity and ..
- RNA interference and inhibition of MEK-ERK signaling prevent abnormal skeletal phenotypes in a mouse model of craniosynostosisVivek Shukla
Genetics of Development and Disease Branch, National Institute of Diabetes, Digestive and Kidney Diseases, US National Institutes of Health, 10 Center Drive, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Nat Genet 39:1145-50. 2007..FGFR2 signaling is manifested by an alteration of the activity of extracellular signal-regulated kinases 1 and 2 (ERK1/2), implicating the gene encoding ERK and the genes downstream of it in disease expressivity...
- Single and combined silencing of ERK1 and ERK2 reveals their positive contribution to growth signaling depending on their expression levelsRenaud Lefloch
Institute of Signaling Developmental Biology and Cancer, CNRS UMR 6543, Universite de Nice Sophia Antipolis, Centre A Lacassagne, 33 Avenue de Valombrose, 06189 Nice, France
Mol Cell Biol 28:511-27. 2008The proteins ERK1 and ERK2 are highly similar, are ubiquitously expressed, and share activators and substrates; however, erk2 gene invalidation is lethal in mice, while erk1 inactivation is not...
- Differentiation of C2C12 myoblasts expressing lamin A mutated at a site responsible for Emery-Dreifuss muscular dystrophy is improved by inhibition of the MEK-ERK pathway and stimulation of the PI3-kinase pathwayCatherine Favreau
Institut Jacques Monod, UMR7592, CNRS et Universités Paris 6 et 7, Paris Cedex 05, France
Exp Cell Res 314:1392-405. 2008....
- Fibroblast growth factor receptor signaling is essential for lens fiber cell differentiationHaotian Zhao
Graduate Program in Molecular, Cellular and Developmental Biology, College of Biological Sciences, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
Dev Biol 318:276-88. 2008..Therefore, while signaling by FGF receptors is essential for lens fiber differentiation, different FGF receptors function redundantly...
- Dynamic seizure-related changes in extracellular signal-regulated kinase activation in a mouse model of temporal lobe epilepsyC R Houser
Department of Neurobiology, CHS 73 235, David Geffen School of Medicine at the University of California, Los Angeles, 10833 Le Conte Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1763, USA
Neuroscience 156:222-37. 2008..These findings suggest that increased pERK labeling could be one of the earliest immunohistochemical indicators of neurons that are activated at the time of a spontaneous seizure...
- Mouse and human phenotypes indicate a critical conserved role for ERK2 signaling in neural crest developmentJason Newbern
Neuroscience Center, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC 27599, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105:17115-20. 2008Disrupted ERK1/2 (MAPK3/MAPK1) MAPK signaling has been associated with several developmental syndromes in humans; however, mutations in ERK1 or ERK2 have not been described...
- EphA4 as an effector of Twist1 in the guidance of osteogenic precursor cells during calvarial bone growth and in craniosynostosisMan Chun Ting
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Norris Cancer Hospital, University of Southern California Keck School of Medicine, Los Angeles, CA 90089 9176, USA
Development 136:855-64. 2009..We suggest that the failure of this process in Twist1 and EphA4 mutants is the cause of craniosynostosis...
- Map2k1 and Map2k2 genes contribute to the normal development of syncytiotrophoblasts during placentationValerie Nadeau
Centre de recherche en cancérologie de l Université Laval, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire de Quebec, L Hôtel Dieu de Québec, Quebec, QC, G1R 2J6, Canada
Development 136:1363-74. 2009..Thus, even though Map2k1 plays a predominant role, these results enlighten the function of Map2k2 in placenta development...
- Extracellular signal-regulated kinase 1 (ERK1) and ERK2 play essential roles in osteoblast differentiation and in supporting osteoclastogenesisTakehiko Matsushita
Department of Orthopaedics, Case Western Reserve University, 2109 Adelbert Road, BRB 329, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
Mol Cell Biol 29:5843-57. 2009Osteoblasts and chondrocytes arise from common osteo-chondroprogenitor cells. We show here that inactivation of ERK1 and ERK2 in osteo-chondroprogenitor cells causes a block in osteoblast differentiation and leads to ectopic chondrogenic ..
- Dosage-dependent hedgehog signals integrated with Wnt/beta-catenin signaling regulate external genitalia formation as an appendicular programShinichi Miyagawa
Institute of Molecular Embryology and Genetics, Global COE Cell Fate Regulation Research and Education Unit, Kumamoto University, Kumamoto 860 0811, Japan
Development 136:3969-78. 2009..Fgf8 induces phosphorylation of Erk1/2 and cell proliferation in the GT mesenchyme in vitro, yet Fgf4/8 compound-mutant phenotypes indicate dispensable ..
- Effect of PD98059, a selective MAPK3/MAPK1 inhibitor, on acute lung injury in miceR Di Paola
IRCCS Centro Neurolesi Bonino Pulejo, Messina, Italy
Int J Immunopathol Pharmacol 22:937-50. 2009The aim of the present study is to evaluate the contribution of mitogen-activated protein kinase 1-3 MAPK3/MAPK1) in a model of acute lung inflammation in mice...
- The MAPK ERK1 is a negative regulator of the adult steady-state splenic erythropoiesisSoizic Guihard
Institut Cochin, Universite Paris Descartes, Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique CNRS Unité Mixte de Recherche UMR 8104, 75014 Paris, France
Blood 115:3686-94. 2010The mitogen-activated protein kinases (MAPKs) extracellular signal-regulated kinase 1 (ERK1) and ERK2 are among the main signal transduction molecules, but little is known about their isoform-specific functions in vivo...
- MicroRNAs are necessary for vascular smooth muscle growth, differentiation, and functionSebastian Albinsson
Department of Pharmacology, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06520, USA
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 30:1118-26. 2010..Here, we investigated the role of miRNAs in VSM by deleting the rate-limiting enzyme in miRNA synthesis, Dicer...
- Loss of microRNAs in neural crest leads to cardiovascular syndromes resembling human congenital heart defectsZhan Peng Huang
Department of Cell and Developmental Biology, McAllister Heart Institute, School of Medicine, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, USA
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 30:2575-86. 2010..The goal of this study was to investigate the function of microRNA (miRNA) in NCCs and the cardiovascular system...
- Erk1 positively regulates osteoclast differentiation and bone resorptive activityYongzheng He
Departments of Pediatrics, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, Indiana, United States of America
PLoS ONE 6:e24780. 2011The extracellular signal-regulated kinases (ERK1 and 2) are widely-expressed and they modulate proliferation, survival, differentiation, and protein synthesis in multiple cell lineages...
- Wnt9b-dependent FGF signaling is crucial for outgrowth of the nasal and maxillary processes during upper jaw and lip developmentYong Ri Jin
COBRE in Stem Cell and Regenerative Medicine, Center for Molecular Medicine, Maine Medical Center Research Institute, Maine Medical Center, Scarborough, ME 04074, USA
Development 139:1821-30. 2012..Our study has identified a previously unknown regulatory link between WNT9B and FGF signaling during lip and upper jaw development...
- Novel mechanisms of early upper and lower urinary tract patterning regulated by RetY1015 docking tyrosine in miceMasato Hoshi
Department of Internal Medicine Renal Division, Washington University School ofMedicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Development 139:2405-15. 2012..Our work demonstrates novel inhibitory roles of RetY1015 and provides a possible mechanistic explanation for some of the confounding broad range phenotypes in individuals with CAKUT...
- Essential role for ERK2 mitogen-activated protein kinase in placental developmentNaoya Hatano
Department of Pathology and Pathophysiology, Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine, 2 2 Yamadaoka, Japan
Genes Cells 8:847-56. 2003..Extracellular signal-regulated kinase 2 (ERK2) has been implicated in cell proliferation, differentiation, and survival. However, its role in vivo remains to be determined...
- Essential role of B-Raf in ERK activation during extraembryonic developmentGergana Galabova-Kovacs
Max F Perutz Laboratories, Vienna Biocenter, Dr Bohr Gasse 9, 1030 Vienna, Austria
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:1325-30. 2006..The data demonstrate that B-Raf plays a nonredundant role in ERK activation during extraembyronic mammalian development in vivo...
- Deletion of ERK2 mitogen-activated protein kinase identifies its key roles in cortical neurogenesis and cognitive functionIVY S SAMUELS
Department of Neurosciences, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio 44106 4928, USA
J Neurosci 28:6983-95. 2008The mitogen-activated protein (MAP) kinases ERK1 and ERK2 are critical intracellular signaling intermediates; however, little is known about their isoform-specific functions in vivo...
- The Erk2 MAPK regulates CD8 T cell proliferation and survivalWarren N D'Souza
Department of Cellular and Molecular Medicine, Division of Biological Science, Molecular Biology Section, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093, USA
J Immunol 181:7617-29. 2008..While Erk1 is dispensable for all aspects of CD8 T cell activation, Erk2 is required for the proliferation of CD8 T cells ..
- p44 mitogen-activated protein kinase (extracellular signal-regulated kinase 1)-dependent signaling contributes to epithelial skin carcinogenesisChristine Bourcier
Institute of Signaling, Developmental Biology and Cancer Research, UMR Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, Nice, France
Cancer Res 66:2700-7. 2006..Hence, we have investigated the specific function of ERK1 in skin homeostasis and tumorigenesis in ERK1 knockout mice...
- Differential roles of ERK1/2 and JNK in retinal development and degenerationMaryanne Donovan
Cell Development and Disease Laboratory, Department of Biochemistry, Biosciences Institute, University College Cork, Cork, Ireland
J Neurochem 116:33-42. 2011..In this study, we report that the extracellular signal-regulated kinase (ERK1/2) pathway plays a key role in the regulation of apoptosis during retinal development...
- Actin and ERK1/2-CEBPβ signaling mediates phagocytosis-induced innate immune response of osteoprogenitor cellsHeon Goo Lee
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, NY 10032, USA
Biomaterials 32:9197-206. 2011....
- Desipramine protects neuronal cell death and induces heme oxygenase-1 expression in Mes23.5 dopaminergic neuronsHsiao Yun Lin
Department of Life Sciences, National Chung Hsing University, Taichung, Taiwan
PLoS ONE 7:e50138. 2012..It has also been used in a number of other psychiatric and medical conditions. The present study is the first to investigate the neuroprotective effect of desipramine...
- Erk1 and Erk2 are required for maintenance of hematopoietic stem cells and adult hematopoiesisGordon Chan
Campbell Family Cancer Research Institute, Ontario Cancer Institute, Toronto, ON, Canada
Blood 121:3594-8. 2013Extracellular signal-regulated kinase 1 (Erk1) and Erk2 play crucial roles in cell survival, proliferation, cell adhesion, migration, and differentiation in many tissues...
- Mouse Erk-1 gene product is a serine/threonine protein kinase that has the potential to phosphorylate tyrosineC M Crews
Department of Cellular and Developmental Biology, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA 02138
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 88:8845-9. 1991Bacterial expression of mouse gene Erk-1 yielded an active kinase with the same substrate specificity shown for ERK1 protein purified from rat cells...
- The MAP kinase pathway controls differentiation from double-negative to double-positive thymocyteT Crompton
Imperial Cancer Research Fund, London, United Kingdom
Cell 86:243-51. 1996..Furthermore, this study demonstrates the use of retrovirus-mediated gene transfer in fetal thymic organ culture in the analysis of thymic development in mutant mice, an alternative to transgenesis by oocyte injection...
- Pecam-1 is a modulator of stat family member phosphorylation and localization: lessons from a transgenic mouseN Ilan
Department of Pathology, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut, 06510, USA
Dev Biol 232:219-32. 2001..We suggest that by serving as a scaffolding, PECAM-1 can bring substrates (STAT5a) and enzymes (a kinase) into close proximity, thereby modulating phosphorylation levels of selected proteins, as previously noted for beta-catenin...
- Differential expression and/or activation of P38MAPK, erk1/2, and jnk during the initiation and progression of prostate cancerAarti R Uzgare
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Prostate 55:128-39. 2003....
- Acute ethanol exposure inhibits macrophage IL-6 production: role of p38 and ERK1/2 MAPKJoanna Goral
Department of Cell Biology, Loyola University Medical Center, Maywood, IL 60153, USA
J Leukoc Biol 75:553-9. 2004..the effect of acute ethanol exposure on in vivo activation of p38 and extracellularly regulated kinases 1 and 2 (ERK1/2) MAPK in murine macrophages and the corresponding, LPS-stimulated interleukin (IL)-6 production...
- Convergent proliferative response and divergent morphogenic pathways induced by epicardial and endocardial signaling in fetal heart developmentJi One Kang
Institute for Genetic Medicine, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, IGM240, 2250 Alcazar St, Los Angeles, CA 90033, USA
Mech Dev 122:57-65. 2005..In vivo, phosphorylation of Akt and GSK3beta (PI3K pathway) and of Erk1/2 and p90rsk (Erk pathway) is substantially reduced in RXRalpha-deficient heart tissue...
- The autoimmune suppressor Gadd45alpha inhibits the T cell alternative p38 activation pathwayJesus M Salvador
Gene Response Section, Center for Cancer Research, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Nat Immunol 6:396-402. 2005..Thus, constitutive activation of T cell p38 through the alternative pathway is prevented by Gadd45alpha, the absence of which results in p38 activation, T cell hyperproliferation and autoimmunity...
- The roles of calcium signaling and ERK1/2 phosphorylation in a Pax6+/- mouse model of epithelial wound-healing delayLucy J Leiper
School of Medical Sciences, Institute of Medical Sciences, University of Aberdeen, Aberdeen AB25 2ZD, UK
BMC Biol 4:27. 2006..We investigated the hypothesis that reducing Pax6 gene dosage leads to corneal wound-healing defects. and assayed the immediate molecular responses to wounding in wild-type and mutant corneal epithelial cells...
- Sequential actions of ERK1/2 on the AP-1 transcription factor allow temporal integration of metabolic signals in pancreatic beta cellsDominique A Glauser
Fondation pour Recherches Medicales, University of Geneva, Switzerland
FASEB J 21:3240-9. 2007..b>ERK1/2 activation paralleled c-FOS expression...
- Osteoactivin fragments produced by ectodomain shedding induce MMP-3 expression via ERK pathway in mouse NIH-3T3 fibroblastsHarumi Furochi
Department of Nutritional Physiology, Institute of Health Biosciences, The University of Tokushima Graduate School, Tokushima, Japan
FEBS Lett 581:5743-50. 2007..inhibited the osteoactivin-mediated MMP-3 expression, whereas the extracellular fragment of osteoactivin activated ERK1/2 and p38 in the mitogen-activated protein kinase pathway...
- Glucocorticoid receptor is required for skin barrier competencePilar Bayo
Centro de Investigacion Principe Felipe, Valencia, Avenida Autopista del Saler 16, Camino de las Moreras, E 46013 Valencia, Spain
Endocrinology 149:1377-88. 2008..The activity of ERK1/2 was constitutively augmented in GR(-/-) skin and mouse primary keratinocytes relative to wild type, which ..
- COUP-TFI coordinates cortical patterning, neurogenesis, and laminar fate and modulates MAPK/ERK, AKT, and beta-catenin signalingAndrea Faedo
Nina Ireland Laboratory of Developmental Neurobiology, Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94158, USA
Cereb Cortex 18:2117-31. 2008..We suggest that COUP-TFI controls these processes by repressing Mapk/Erk, Akt, and beta-catenin signaling...
- The antiadipogenic effect of macrophage-conditioned medium depends on ERK1/2 activationVanessa A Constant
Department of Medicine, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Metabolism 57:465-72. 2008..01). Addition of THP-1-MacCM to 3T3-L1 preadipocytes increased ERK1/2 phosphorylation by 6.5-fold (n = 3, P < .01)...
- Involvement of extracellular signal-regulated protein kinase in acute cocaine-induced c-fos in nucleus accumbensXiaowei Guan
Department of Pharmacology, Nanjing Medical University, 140 Hanzhong Road, Nanjing 210029, China
Neurosci Lett 438:155-8. 2008..Our findings suggest that ERK might participate in cocaine-induced c-fos expression in the NAc, particularly in the core region of NAc...
- Phosphodiesterase-5 inhibition abolishes neuron apoptosis induced by chronic hypoxia independently of hypoxia-inducible factor-1alpha signalingAnna Caretti
University of Milan, San Paolo Hospital, via di Rudinì 8 I 20142 Milan, Italy
Exp Biol Med (Maywood) 233:1222-30. 2008..0005); and (3) did not affect HIF-1alpha, but rather blunted the hypoxia-induced increase in P-ERK1/2 (P = 0.0002) and P-p38 (P = 0.004)...
- Tbx3 is required for outflow tract developmentKarim Mesbah
Developmental Biology Institute of Marseilles Luminy, France
Circ Res 103:743-50. 2008....
- Versican/PG-M Assembles Hyaluronan into Extracellular Matrix and Inhibits CD44-mediated Signaling toward Premature Senescence in Embryonic FibroblastsKeittisak Suwan
Institute for Molecular Science of Medicine, Aichi Medical University, Nagakute, Aichi 480 1195, Japan
J Biol Chem 284:8596-604. 2009..The Cspg2(Delta3/Delta3) fibroblasts showed a substantial increase of ERK1/2 phosphorylation and expression of senescence markers p53, p21, and p16...
- Heparan sulfate deficiency leads to Peters anomaly in mice by disturbing neural crest TGF-beta2 signalingKeiichiro Iwao
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Science, Kumamoto University Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Kumamoto, Japan
J Clin Invest 119:1997-2008. 2009..These findings suggest that HS is necessary for neural crest cells to form the anterior chamber via TGF-beta2 signaling. Disturbances of HS synthesis might therefore contribute to the pathology of developmental glaucoma...
- The nuclear appearance of ERK1/2 and p38 determines the sequential induction of ATF2-Thr71 and ATF2-Thr69 phosphorylation by serum in JNK-deficient cellsBart Baan
Department of Molecular Cell Biology, Section Signal Transduction and Ageing, Leiden University Medical Centre, Postzone S1 P, PO Box 9600, 2300 RC Leiden, The Netherlands
Mol Cell Endocrinol 311:94-100. 2009..Using anion exchange chromatography, ERK1/2 and p38 were identified as ATF2-kinases in vitro...
- IL-17A and IL-17F stimulate chemokines via MAPK pathways (ERK1/2 and p38 but not JNK) in mouse cultured mesangial cells: synergy with TNF-alpha and IL-1betaMasayuki Iyoda
Division of Nephrology, Department of Medicine, Showa University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 298:F779-87. 2010..Additionally, we observed that IL-17A and IL-17F induced MAPK (p38 MAPK, ERK1/2, and JNK) activation and that pharmacological inhibitors of p38 MAPK (SB203580) and ERK1/2 (U0126), but not JNK (..
- Gemini vitamin D analog suppresses ErbB2-positive mammary tumor growth via inhibition of ErbB2/AKT/ERK signalingHong Jin Lee
Department of Chemical Biology, Ernest Mario School of Pharmacy, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, Piscataway, NJ 08854, USA
J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol 121:408-12. 2010....
- Phosphate-induced apoptosis of hypertrophic chondrocytes is associated with a decrease in mitochondrial membrane potential and is dependent upon Erk1/2 phosphorylationSusanne U Miedlich
Endocrine Unit, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
J Biol Chem 285:18270-5. 2010..Phosphate-mediated apoptosis was observed as early as 30 min post-treatment and was dependent upon Erk1/2 phosphorylation...
- Growth differentiation factor 9 signaling requires ERK1/2 activity in mouse granulosa and cumulus cellsMaxime Sasseville
The Robinson Institute, School of Paediatrics and Reproductive Health, Medical School, University of Adelaide, SA, Adelaide 5005, Australia
J Cell Sci 123:3166-76. 2010..the epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR)-extracellular signal-regulated kinase 1 and 2 (ERK1/2; also known as MAPK3/1) signaling pathway on GDF9 action on granulosa cells...
- Antagonistic roles of the ERK and p38 MAPK signalling pathways in globin expression, haem biosynthesis and iron uptakeLouay Mardini
Lady Davis Institute for Medical Research, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Biochem J 432:145-51. 2010..Our present results suggest that the ERK1/2 and p38α/β MAPKs play antagonistic roles in HMBA-induced globin gene expression and erythroid differentiation...
- Endothelin receptor type A expression defines a distinct cardiac subdomain within the heart field and is later implicated in chamber myocardium formationRieko Asai
Department of Physiological Chemistry and Metabolism, Graduate School of Medicine, The University of Tokyo, 7 3 1 Hongo, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 0033, Japan
Development 137:3823-33. 2010..The present finding provides an insight into how subpopulations within the crescent-forming (first) heart field contribute to the coordination of heart morphogenesis through spatiotemporally defined cell movements...
- Neurofibromin (Nf1) is required for skeletal muscle developmentNadine Kossler
FG Development and Disease, Max Planck Institute for Molecular Genetics, Ihnestrasse 73, Berlin, Germany
Hum Mol Genet 20:2697-709. 2011..Our results demonstrate a requirement of neurofibromin for muscle formation and maintenance. This previously unrecognized function of neurofibromin may contribute to the musculoskeletal problems in NF1 patients...
- Co-localization of neural cell adhesion molecule and fibroblast growth factor receptor 2 in early embryo developmentLiselotte Vesterlund
Department of Biosciences and Nutrition, Karolinska Institutet, Huddinge, Sweden
Int J Dev Biol 55:313-9. 2011..In summary these findings show a co-localization of NCAM and FGFR2 in early vertebrate development with intracellular signaling pathways present to enable a cellular response...
- Morphine withdrawal stress modulates lipopolysaccharide-induced interleukin 12 p40 (IL-12p40) expression by activating extracellular signal-regulated kinase 1/2, which is further potentiated by glucocorticoidsSubhas Das
Department of Surgery, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minnesota 55455, USA
J Biol Chem 286:29806-17. 2011..and CCAAT/enhancer-binding protein and Western blot analysis demonstrated a significant activation of LPS-induced ERK1/2 phosphorylation...
- TGF-β-mediated sustained ERK1/2 activity promotes the inhibition of intracellular growth of Mycobacterium avium in epithelioid cells surrogatesCarolina L'abbate
Disciplina de Imunologia, Departamento de Microbiologia, Imunologia e Parasitologia, Universidade Federal de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brasil
PLoS ONE 6:e21465. 2011..Moreover, the levels of TGF-β produced by ECs correlated with high and sustained levels of ERK1/2 activity. Inhibition of ERK1/2 activity with U0126 increased M...
- Parathyroid hormone (PTH) regulates the sodium chloride cotransporter via Ras guanyl releasing protein 1 (Ras-GRP1) and extracellular signal-regulated kinase (ERK)1/2 mitogen-activated protein kinase (MAPK) pathwayBenjamin Ko
Department of Medicine, Section of Nephrology, University of Chicago, Ill, USA
Transl Res 158:282-9. 2011..the PTH-mediated suppression of NCC activity, the activation of the H-Ras isoform of Ras, and the activation of ERK1/2 MAPK...
- How MAP kinases are regulatedM H Cobb
Department of Pharmacology, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas 75235 9041, USA
J Biol Chem 270:14843-6. 1995
- Disruption of the murine calpain small subunit gene, Capn4: calpain is essential for embryonic development but not for cell growth and divisionJ S Arthur
Department of Biochemistry, Department of Pathology, Queen s University, Kingston, Ontario K7L 3N6, Canada
Mol Cell Biol 20:4474-81. 2000..However, mutant embryos died at midgestation and displayed defects in the cardiovascular system, hemorrhaging, and accumulation of erythroid progenitors...
- Nf1 has an essential role in endothelial cellsAaron D Gitler
Department of Medicine, Cardiology Division, University of Pennsylvania Health System, 954 BRB II III, 421 Curie Blvd, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
Nat Genet 33:75-9. 2003..These results establish a new and essential role for Nf1 in endothelial cells and confirm the requirement for neurofibromin in the neural crest...
- Apoptosis and activation of Erkl/2 and Akt in astrocytes postischemiaZhongjian Jiang
Neuroscience Research Institute, Peking University, Beijing, China
Neurochem Res 28:831-7. 2003..We also measured the changes of phosphorylated Erk1/2 (p-Erk1/2) and phosphorylated Akt (p-Akt) in order to determine whether these two pathways play a role in ..
- PROTEIN SYNTHESIS INITIATION IN ANIMAL CELLSBansidhar Datta; Fiscal Year: 2002..This research is expected to provide valuable information regarding the mechanism of protein synthesis initiation in normal, cancerous, and virus- infected animal cells. ..
- MCP-1, TISSUE FACTOR, AND VASCULAR SMOOTH MUSCLEALISON SCHECTER; Fiscal Year: 2002..The receptor will be expressed in COS cells to study the properties of the new receptor in mammalian cells and, in particular, to examine its coupling to TF induction. ..
- Tat-mediated brain endothelial cell dysfunctionMichal Toborek; Fiscal Year: 2009..In a broader aspect, this proposal will contribute to better knowledge of how injury to brain endothelium can contribute to the development of neuroAIDS. ..
- CONDITIONAL MUTAGENESIS OF FIBROBLAST GROWTH FACTORSAnne Moon; Fiscal Year: 2002..Ultimately, this knowledge will help us to understand how alterations in those pathways, whether genetic or environmental, result in congenital malformations in infants and children. ..
- Identify and characterize novel Wnt pathway genesBrian Harfe; Fiscal Year: 2006..The PIs have experience working with C. elegans, mice and chick model systems and are positioned to take full advantage of each system. ..
- Neuregulin-2 and the formation of neuromuscular synapsesMendell Rimer; Fiscal Year: 2006..Results from the proposed research are expected to yield new insights into the molecular mechanisms that control neurotransmitter receptor density at the NMJ, which may bear on such control at synapses in the brain. ..
- PPARGamma in Sepsis-Induced ImmunosuppressionRaju Reddy; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- HIV, Chemokine Receptors, and Vascular Smooth MuscleALISON SCHECTER; Fiscal Year: 2007..Furthermore, given that HIV patients appear to have accelerated atherosclerosis, these studies will provide potential mechanism(s) responsible for HIV-associated vasculopathies. ..
- GABA Neurons and EpilepsyCAROLYN HOUSER; Fiscal Year: 2007..The studies could provide new evidence for GABA neuron plasticity in epilepsy that, rather than reducing epileptiform activity, could contribute to the epilepsy process through aberrant inhibitory circuits. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- GABA Receptor Subunit Plasticity in EpilepsyCAROLYN HOUSER; Fiscal Year: 2008..The studies could identify new types of GABAR plasticity that could contribute to seizure activity and might also suggest cell-specific targets for pharmacological treatment of epilepsy and related disorders. ..
- Mutagenesis of Tbx3: a model of ulnar-mammary syndromeAnne M Moon; Fiscal Year: 2010..The flexible model system we propose will be a valuable tool for developmental studies of many organs and lead to a deeper understanding of the genetic and molecular bases of congenital anomalies in humans. ..
- ASBESTOS AND NO2 IN ENVIRONMENTAL LUNG DISEASENicholas Heintz; Fiscal Year: 2001..Dissection of the role of cell cycle and survival regulators in proliferative and apoptotic responses to the combined effects of asbestos and N02 may lead to new biomarkers for exposure of the human lung to chemical mixtures. ..