Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Lgals3
Description: lectin, galactose binding, soluble 3
Alias: GBP, L-34, Mac-2, gal3, galectin-3, 35 kDa lectin, CBP 35, L-34 galactoside-binding lectin, carbohydrate-binding protein 35, gal-3, galactose-specific lectin 3, igE-binding protein, laminin-binding protein, lectin L-29, mac-2 antigen
Publications110 found, 100 shown here
- Spontaneous development of pancreatitis in the MRL/Mp strain of mice in autoimmune mechanismH Kanno
Department of Pathology, Tohoku University School of Medicine, Sendai, Japan
Clin Exp Immunol 89:68-73. 1992..This may present a useful concept for analysis of the developmental mechanisms of human chronic pancreatitis in an aspect of autoimmunity...
- Peripheral nerve injury induces Schwann cells to express two macrophage phenotypes: phagocytosis and the galactose-specific lectin MAC-2F Reichert
Department of Anatomy and Embryology, Hebrew University, Hadassah Medical School, Jerusalem, Israel
J Neurosci 14:3231-45. 1994..Furthermore, a strong positive correlation between levels of MAC-2 expression and the extent of myelin destruction by phagocytosis was observed over a wide range of values...
- Critical role of galectin-3 in phagocytosis by macrophagesHideki Sano
Division of Allergy, La Jolla Institute for Allergy and Immunology, San Diego, California, USA
J Clin Invest 112:389-97. 2003..Compared with wild-type macrophages, galectin-3-deficient (gal3-/-) cells exhibited reduced phagocytosis of IgG-opsonized erythrocytes and apoptotic thymocytes in vitro...
- Role of galectin-3 in mast cell functions: galectin-3-deficient mast cells exhibit impaired mediator release and defective JNK expressionHuan Yuan Chen
Department of Dermatology, School of Medicine, University of California Davis, Sacramento, CA 95817, USA
J Immunol 177:4991-7. 2006..role of galectin-3 in the function of mast cells, we studied bone marrow-derived mast cells (BMMC) from wild-type (gal3(+/+)) and galectin-3-deficient (gal3(-/-)) mice...
- Loss of galectin-3 impairs membrane polarisation of mouse enterocytes in vivoDelphine Delacour
Department of Cell Biology and Cell Pathology, Philipps University, Marburg, Germany
J Cell Sci 121:458-65. 2008..Further investigations revealed that gal3-null enterocytes also exhibit striking cytoarchitecture defects, with the presence of numerous and regular ..
- Advanced lipoxidation end-products mediate lipid-induced glomerular injury: role of receptor-mediated mechanismsCarla Iacobini
Department of Clinical Sciences, La Sapienza University, Rome, Italy
J Pathol 218:360-9. 2009..Mice knocked out for galectin-3 (Gal3(-/-)), an AGE receptor previously shown to protect from AGE-induced renal injury, and the corresponding wild-type (..
- Galectin-3 reduces the severity of pneumococcal pneumonia by augmenting neutrophil functionSarah L Farnworth
Centre for Inflammation Research, The Queen s Medical Research Institute, University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh EH16 4TJ, UK
Am J Pathol 172:395-405. 2008....
- Embryonic implantation in galectin 1/galectin 3 double mutant miceC Colnot
Unité INSERM 257, ICGM, Paris, France
Dev Dyn 211:306-13. 1998Galectin 1 and galectin 3 are first expressed in the trophectoderm cells of the implanting embryo and have been implicated in the process of implantation...
- Maintenance of granulocyte numbers during acute peritonitis is defective in galectin-3-null mutant miceC Colnot
Unité INSERM 257 ICGM, Paris, France
Immunology 94:290-6. 1998....
- Targeted disruption of the galectin-3 gene results in attenuated peritoneal inflammatory responsesD K Hsu
Division of Allergy, La Jolla Institute for Allergy and Immunology, San Diego, California 92121, USA
Am J Pathol 156:1073-83. 2000..elucidating the physiological and pathological functions of this protein, we have generated galectin-3-deficient (gal3(-/-)) mice by targeted interruption of the galectin-3 gene...
- Uncoupling of chondrocyte death and vascular invasion in mouse galectin 3 null mutant bonesC Colnot
Institut Cochin de Genetique Moleculaire, INSERM 257, 24 rue du Faubourg Saint Jacques, Paris, 75014, France
Dev Biol 229:203-14. 2001b>Galectin 3 is a beta-galactoside binding protein which localizes to the cytoplasm of proliferative, mature, and hypertrophic chondrocytes in the growth plate cartilage of developing long bones...
- Accelerated diabetic glomerulopathy in galectin-3/AGE receptor 3 knockout miceG Pugliese
Department of Clinical Sciences, La Sapienza University, 00161 Rome, Italy
FASEB J 15:2471-9. 2001..These results show that the galectin-3-regulated AGE receptor pathway is operating in vivo and protects toward AGE-induced tissue injury in contrast to that through RAGE...
- Role of galectin-3 in breast cancer metastasis: involvement of nitric oxideYoung K Song
Department of Pharmacology, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Am J Pathol 160:1069-75. 2002..In conclusion, galectin-3 enhances the metastatic potential of BT549 cells through resistance to the products of iNOS, possibly through its bcl-2-like antiapoptotic function...
- Galectin-3 modulates carbohydrate-dependent thymocyte interactions with the thymic microenvironmentDéa Maria Serra Villa-Verde
Laboratory on Thymus Research, Department of Immunology, Oswaldo Cruz Institute, Oswaldo Cruz Foundation, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Eur J Immunol 32:1434-44. 2002..Our data indicate that intrathymically produced galectin-3 disrupts thymocyte/microenvironmental cell interactions, thus acting as a de-adhesion molecule...
- Galectins-3 and -7, but not galectin-1, play a role in re-epithelialization of woundsZhiyi Cao
Department of Ophthalmology, Center for Vision Research and The New England Eye Center, Davis, California 95616, USA
J Biol Chem 277:42299-305. 2002..models of corneal wound healing, re-epithelialization of wounds was significantly slower in galectin-3-deficient (gal3(-/-)) mice compared with wild-type (gal3(+/+)) mice...
- Galectin-3 precipitates as a pentamer with synthetic multivalent carbohydrates and forms heterogeneous cross-linked complexesNisar Ahmad
Department of Molecular Pharmacology, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, New York 10461, USA
J Biol Chem 279:10841-7. 2004..This contrasts with galectin-1 and many plant lectins that form homogeneous, organized cross-linked complexes. The results are discussed in terms of the biological properties of galectin-3...
- Galectin-3/AGE-receptor 3 knockout mice show accelerated AGE-induced glomerular injury: evidence for a protective role of galectin-3 as an AGE receptorCarla Iacobini
Department of Cell Biology and Neurosciences, Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Rome, Italy
FASEB J 18:1773-5. 2004....
- Regulation of cytokine receptors by Golgi N-glycan processing and endocytosisEmily A Partridge
Samuel Lunenfeld Research Institute, Mount Sinai Hospital, 600 University Avenue, Toronto, ON M5G 1X5, Canada
Science 306:120-4. 2004..Thus, conditional regulation of N-glycan processing drives synchronous modification of cytokine receptors, which balances their surface retention against loss via endocytosis...
- Critical role for galectin-3 in airway inflammation and bronchial hyperresponsiveness in a murine model of asthmaRiaz I Zuberi
Division of Allergy, La Jolla Institute of Allergy and Immunology, San Diego, California, USA
Am J Pathol 165:2045-53. 2004..We investigated the role of galectin-3 in the allergic airway response by comparing galectin-3-deficient (gal3(-/-)) mice and wild-type (gal3(+/+)) mice...
- Development of age-dependent glomerular lesions in galectin-3/AGE-receptor-3 knockout miceCarla Iacobini
Department of Cell Biology and Neurosciences, Istituto Superiore de Sanita, Rome, Italy
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 289:F611-21. 2005....
- Galectin-3: an open-ended storyJerka Dumic
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Faculty of Pharmacy and Biochemistry, University of Zagreb, Croatia
Biochim Biophys Acta 1760:616-35. 2006..The review attempts to summarize the existing information on structural, biochemical and intriguing functional properties of galectin-3...
- Galectin-3 regulates myofibroblast activation and hepatic fibrosisNeil C Henderson
Centre for Inflammation Research, Queens Medical Research Institute, University of Edinburgh, 51 Little France Crescent, EH16 4SA Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:5060-5. 2006..Finally, in vivo siRNA knockdown of Galectin-3 inhibited myofibroblast activation after hepatic injury and may therefore provide an alternative therapeutic approach to the prevention and treatment of liver fibrosis...
- Toxoplasma gondii infection reveals a novel regulatory role for galectin-3 in the interface of innate and adaptive immunityEmerson Soares Bernardes
Departamento de Biologia Celular e Molecular e Bioagentes Patogênicos, Faculdade de Medicina de Ribeirão Preto USP, Av dos Bandeirantes, 3900, Ribeirao Preto SP, Brazil CEP 14049 900
Am J Pathol 168:1910-20. 2006In attempts to investigate the role of galectin-3 in innate immunity, we studied galectin-3-deficient (gal3-/-) mice with regard to their response to Toxoplasma gondii infection, which is characterized by inflammation in affected organs, ..
- Disrupted galectin-3 causes non-alcoholic fatty liver disease in male miceK Nomoto
Department of Pathology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Toyama, Toyama, Japan
J Pathol 210:469-77. 2006..Thus, this study investigated the role of galectin-3 in NAFLD by comparing galectin-3 knockout (gal3(-/-)) mice and wild-type (gal3(+/+)) mice...
- Galectin-3 associates with the primary cilium and modulates cyst growth in congenital polycystic kidney diseaseMiliyun G Chiu
Nephro Urology Unit, UCL Institute of Child Health, 30 Guilford St, London WC1N 1EH, UK
Am J Pathol 169:1925-38. 2006..These data raise the possibility that galectin-3 may act as a natural brake on cystogenesis in cpk mice, perhaps via ciliary roles...
- Expression and immunohistochemical localization of galectin-3 in various mouse tissuesHeechul Kim
Department of Veterinary Medicine, Cheju National University, Jeju 690 756, South Korea
Cell Biol Int 31:655-62. 2007..These findings suggest that galectin-3 is differentially expressed in a variety of organs in the mouse. This study provides valuable information for research on galectin-3...
- Altered expression of galectin-3 induces cortical thymocyte depletion and premature exit of immature thymocytes during Trypanosoma cruzi infectionElizangela Silva-Monteiro
Department of Pathology, Laboratory of Thymus Research, Oswaldo Cruz Institute, Oswaldo Cruz Foundation, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Am J Pathol 170:546-56. 2007..Our findings provide evidence of a novel role for galectin-3 in the regulation of thymus physiology and identify a potential mechanism based on protein-glycan interactions in thymic atrophy associated with acute T. cruzi infection...
- Kinetics of mobilization and differentiation of lymphohematopoietic cells during experimental murine schistosomiasis in galectin-3 -/- miceF L Oliveira
Departamento de Histologia e Embriologia, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
J Leukoc Biol 82:300-10. 2007....
- HIF-1 alpha is a regulator of galectin-3 expression in the intervertebral discYan Zeng
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, PA, USA
J Bone Miner Res 22:1851-61. 2007..Our studies indicate that HIF-1 alpha regulates galectin-3 expression by interacting with hypoxia regulatory elements in the promoter region. Finally, we show that galectin-3 serves a prosurvival role in the intervertebral disc...
- Galectin-3 modulates immune and inflammatory responses during helminthic infection: impact of galectin-3 deficiency on the functions of dendritic cellsLaetitia Breuilh
Institut National de la Recherche Médicale, U547, France
Infect Immun 75:5148-57. 2007....
- Aminopeptidase N/CD13 induces angiogenesis through interaction with a pro-angiogenic protein, galectin-3Eunju Yang
Chemical Genomics Laboratory, Department of Biotechnology, College of Engineering, Yonsei University, 134 Shinchon dong, Seodaemun gu, Seoul 120 749, Republic of Korea
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 363:336-41. 2007..Finally, exogenous addition of galectin-3 into HUVECs induced angiogenesis in an APN-dependent manner, implying that APN is a crucial mediator of galectin-3-induced angiogenesis in endothelial cells...
- Galectin-3 expression and secretion links macrophages to the promotion of renal fibrosisNeil C Henderson
The Queen s Medical Research Institute, University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh EH16 4TJ, UK
Am J Pathol 172:288-98. 2008..Therefore, we demonstrate for the first time that galectin-3 expression and secretion by macrophages is a major mechanism linking macrophages to the promotion of renal fibrosis...
- Role of galectin-3 in leukocyte recruitment in a murine model of lung infection by Streptococcus pneumoniaeJulie Nieminen
Glycobiology Laboratory, Research Center for Infectious Diseases, Faculty of Medicine, Laval University, 2705 Boulevard Laurier, Ste Foy, Quebec, Canada
J Immunol 180:2466-73. 2008..Thus, taken together, our data suggest that galectin-3 plays a role as a soluble adhesion molecule in the recruitment of neutrophils to lungs infected by S. pneumoniae, which induces beta(2)-integrin-independent migration...
- Regulation of alternative macrophage activation by galectin-3Alison C Mackinnon
Centre for Inflammation Research, The Queen s Medical Research Institute, University of Edinburgh, 49 Little France Crescent, Edinburgh, United Kingdom
J Immunol 180:2650-8. 2008..Pharmacological modulation of galectin-3 function represents a novel therapeutic strategy in pathologies associated with alternatively activated macrophages...
- Concerted regulation of focal adhesion dynamics by galectin-3 and tyrosine-phosphorylated caveolin-1Jacky G Goetz
Department of Cellular and Physiological Sciences, Life Sciences Institute, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
J Cell Biol 180:1261-75. 2008..Thus, transmembrane crosstalk between the galectin lattice and pY14Cav1 promotes FA turnover by stabilizing FAK within FAs defining previously unknown, interdependent roles for galectin-3 and pY14Cav1 in tumor cell migration...
- Galectin-3/MAC-2, Ras and PI3K activate complement receptor-3 and scavenger receptor-AI/II mediated myelin phagocytosis in microgliaShlomo Rotshenker
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, Hebrew University Faculty of Medicine, and The Eric Roland Center for Neurodegenerative Diseases, Jerusalem, Israel
Glia 56:1607-13. 2008..An explanation may thus be offered for deficient phagocytosis by microglia that express CR3/MAC-1 and SRAI/II without Galectin-3/MAC-2 and efficient phagocytosis when CR3/MAC-1 and SRAI/II are co-expressed with Galectin-3/MAC-2...
- Nonalcoholic steatohepatitis and hepatocellular carcinoma in galectin-3 knockout miceYuko Nakanishi
Departments of Diagnostic Pathology, Graduate School of Medicine and Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Toyama, Toyama, Japan
Hepatol Res 38:1241-51. 2008..We previously reported that 6-month-old male galectin-3 knockout (gal3(-/-)) mice developed clinicopathological features similar to those of NAFLD in humans...
- Galectin-3 is a negative regulator of lipopolysaccharide-mediated inflammationYubin Li
Division of Immunology, Infection and Inflammation, Glasgow Biomedical Research Centre, University of Glasgow, Glasgow, UK
J Immunol 181:2781-9. 2008..Thus, galectin-3 is a previously unrecognized, naturally occurring, negative regulator of LPS function, which protects the host from endotoxin shock but, conversely, favors Salmonella survival...
- Endogenous galectin-3 is localized in membrane lipid rafts and regulates migration of dendritic cellsDaniel K Hsu
Department of Dermatology, University of California Davis School of Medicine, Sacramento, California 95817, USA
J Invest Dermatol 129:573-83. 2009..First, galectin-3-deficient (gal3(-/-)) bone marrow-derived dendritic cells exhibited defective chemotaxis compared to gal3(+/+) cells...
- Targeted disruption of the galectin-3 gene results in decreased susceptibility to multiple low dose streptozotocin-induced diabetes in miceE P K Mensah-Brown
Department of Anatomy, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, UAE University, Al Ain, United Arab Emirates
Clin Immunol 130:83-8. 2009b>Galectin 3 (Gal-3) is an antiapoptotic and a proinflammatory lectin. We hypothesized that the proinflammatory properties of Gal-3 may influence disease induction in the multiple low doses of streptozotocin model of diabetes...
- Galectin-3 deficiency reduces the severity of experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitisHui Rong Jiang
Division of Immunology, Infection and Inflammation, Glasgow Biomedical Research Centre, University of Glasgow, Glasgow, UK
J Immunol 182:1167-73. 2009....
- Accelerated lipid-induced atherogenesis in galectin-3-deficient mice: role of lipoxidation via receptor-mediated mechanismsCarla Iacobini
Department of Clinical Sciences, La Sapienza University, Rome, Italy
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 29:831-6. 2009..Disposal of these particles is mediated through receptors which may trigger proinflammatory signaling pathways leading to vascular injury. This study was aimed at assessing the role in atherogenesis of one of these receptors, galectin-3...
- Association of cell surface mucins with galectin-3 contributes to the ocular surface epithelial barrierPABLO ARGUESO
Schepens Eye Research Institute, Department of Ophthalmology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02114, USA
J Biol Chem 284:23037-45. 2009..Taken together, these results suggest that galectin-3 plays a key role in maintaining mucosal barrier function through carbohydrate-dependent interactions with cell surface mucins...
- Galectin-3 regulates peritoneal B1-cell differentiation into plasma cellsFelipe L Oliveira
Instituto de Ciencias Biomedicas, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Glycobiology 19:1248-58. 2009..We have shown that in the absence of galectin-3, B1-cell differentiation into plasma cells is favored and the dynamic equilibrium of B1-cell populations in the peritoneum is maintained through a compensatory increase in B1b lymphocytes...
- Galectin-3 negatively regulates TCR-mediated CD4+ T-cell activation at the immunological synapseHuan Yuan Chen
Department of Dermatology, School of Medicine, University of California at Davis, Sacramento, CA 95817, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:14496-501. 2009We have investigated the function of endogenous galectin-3 in T cells. Galectin-3-deficient (gal3(-/-)) CD4(+) T cells secreted more IFN-gamma and IL-4 than gal3(+/+)CD4(+) T cells after T-cell receptor (TCR) engagement...
- Galectin-3 plays a modulatory role in the life span and activation of murine neutrophils during early Toxoplasma gondii infectionCelene M O S Alves
Laboratory of Immunoparasitology, Institute of Biomedical Sciences, Universidade Federal de Uberlandia, Uberlandia, Brazil
Immunobiology 215:475-85. 2010..gondii infection. In conclusion, Gal-3 plays an important modulatory role by interfering in Nphi life span and activation during early T. gondii infection...
- Galectin-3 promotes lamellipodia formation in epithelial cells by interacting with complex N-glycans on alpha3beta1 integrinChandrassegar Saravanan
Department of Ophthalmologyand The New England Eye Center, Tufts University School of Medicine, Sackler School of Graduate Biomedical Sciences, Boston, MA 02111, USA
J Cell Sci 122:3684-93. 2009Recent studies have shown that galectin-3 (Gal-3; also known as LGALS3), a beta-galactoside-binding lectin, promotes cell migration during re-epithelialization of corneal wounds...
- Involvement of Galectin-3 with vascular cell adhesion molecule-1 in growth regulation of mouse BALB/3T3 cellsTomomi Tadokoro
Laboratory of Glycobiology, Department of Bioengineering, Nagaoka University of Technology, Kamitomioka 1603 1, Nagaoka 940 2188
J Biol Chem 284:35556-63. 2009....
- Galectin-3, a novel centrosome-associated protein, required for epithelial morphogenesisAnnett Koch
Department of Cell Biology and Cell Pathology, Philipps University, D 35033 Marburg, Germany
Mol Biol Cell 21:219-31. 2010..Collectively, these data establish galectin-3 as a key determinant in epithelial morphogenesis via its effect on centrosome biology...
- Allergen-induced airway remodeling is impaired in galectin-3-deficient miceXiao Na Ge
Department of Veterinary and Biomedical Sciences, University of Minnesota, St Paul, MN 55108, USA
J Immunol 185:1205-14. 2010....
- Galectin-3 is an important mediator of VEGF- and bFGF-mediated angiogenic responseAnna I Markowska
Department of Ophthalmology Tufts University School of Medicine, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Exp Med 207:1981-93. 2010..in vitro and that VEGF- and bFGF-mediated angiogenic response is reduced in galectin-3 knockdown cells and Gal3(-/-) animals...
- Mutational tuning of galectin-3 specificity and biological functionEmma Salomonsson
Section MIG, Department of Laboratory Medicine, Lund University, 223 62 Lund, Sweden
J Biol Chem 285:35079-91. 2010..Finally, the mutants have helped to define the differences in fine specificity shown by Xenopus, mouse, and human galectin-3 and, as such, the evidence for adaptive change during evolution...
- Galectin-3 ablation protects mice from diet-induced NASH: a major scavenging role for galectin-3 in liverCarla Iacobini
Department of Clinical and Molecular Medicine, La Sapienza University, Rome, Italy
J Hepatol 54:975-83. 2011..This study aimed at verifying the hypothesis that ablation of the ALE-receptor galectin-3 prevents experimental NASH by reducing receptor-mediated ALE clearance and downstream events...
- Deletion of galectin-3 in the host attenuates metastasis of murine melanoma by modulating tumor adhesion and NK cell activityGordana Radosavljevic
Center for Molecular Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Kragujevac, Svetozara Markovica 69, 34000, Kragujevac, Serbia
Clin Exp Metastasis 28:451-62. 2011....
- Galectin-3 secretion and tyrosine phosphorylation is dependent on the calpain small subunit, Calpain 4Shalini Menon
Department of Biological Sciences, Wayne State University, Detroit, MI 48202, USA
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 410:91-6. 2011..We have found that Calpain 4 is essential for the tyrosine phosphorylation of galectin-3, and its ultimate secretion from the cell, and speculate that its secretion interferes with the production of traction forces...
- Transcriptional analysis of the endothelial response to diabetes reveals a role for galectin-3April L Darrow
Center for Cardiovascular Research, University of Hawaii John A Burns School of Medicine, Honolulu, Hawaii 96813, USA
Physiol Genomics 43:1144-52. 2011..Endothelial transcripts upregulated by HFD included galectin-3 (Lgals3), 5-lipoxygenase-activating protein, and chemokine ligands 8 and 9...
- Galectin-3 increases the motility of mouse melanoma cells by regulating matrix metalloproteinase-1 expressionYuan Guo Wang
Department of Practical Pharmacy, College of Pharmacy, Kyung Hee University, Seoul, Korea
Exp Mol Med 44:387-93. 2012..Taken together, galectin- 3 facilitates cell migration and invasion in melanoma in vitro and can induce metastasis in vivo, in part through, regulating the transcription activity of AP-1 and thereby up-regulating MMP-1 expression...
- Deficiency in galectin-3 promotes hepatic injury in CDAA diet-induced nonalcoholic fatty liver diseaseKazuhiro Nomoto
Department of Diagnostic Pathology, Graduate School of Medicine and Pharmaceutical Science, University of Toyama, 2630 Sugitani, Toyama 930 0194, Japan
ScientificWorldJournal 2012:959824. 2012..We investigated whether galectin-3 is involved in the development of NASH by comparing galectin-3 knockout (gal3(-/-)) mice and wild-type (gal3(+/+)) mice with choline-deficient L-amino-acid-defined (CDAA) diet-induced NAFLD/..
- Galectin-3 regulates intracellular trafficking of EGFR through Alix and promotes keratinocyte migrationWei Liu
Department of Dermatology, University of California, Davis, Davis, California 95816, USA
J Invest Dermatol 132:2828-37. 2012..Our results suggest that galectin-3 is potentially a critical regulator of a number of important cellular responses through its intracellular control of trafficking of cell surface receptors...
- Galectin-3 protein regulates mobility of N-cadherin and GM1 ganglioside at cell-cell junctions of mammary carcinoma cellsCecile Boscher
Department of Cellular and Physiological Sciences, Life Sciences Institute, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia V6T 1Z3, Canada
J Biol Chem 287:32940-52. 2012....
- Galectin-3 mediates aldosterone-induced vascular fibrosisLaurent Calvier
INSERM, U961, Faculty of Medicine, Université de Lorraine, Vandoeuvre les Nancy, France
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 33:67-75. 2013..Galectin-3 (Gal-3), a β-galactoside-binding lectin, plays an important role in inflammation, fibrosis, and heart failure. We investigated here whether Gal-3 is involved in Aldo-induced vascular fibrosis...
- Galectin-3 is expressed in the notochord, developing bones, and skin of the postimplantation mouse embryoD Fowlis
Unité INSERM 257, ICGM, Paris, France
Dev Dyn 203:241-51. 1995..Finally, we find that galectin-3, which is identical to the macrophage marker Mac-2, is also expressed in embryonic macrophages...
- Role of galectin-3 as an adhesion molecule for neutrophil extravasation during streptococcal pneumoniaSachiko Sato
Glycobiology Laboratory, Research Center for Infectious Disease, Laval University Medical Center, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire de Quebec, Quebec, Canada
J Immunol 168:1813-22. 2002..Thus, based on our results, we propose that galectin-3 plays a role in beta(2) integrin-independent neutrophil extravasation, which occurs during alveolar infection with Streptococcus pneumoniae...
- Galectin-3 mediates IL-4-induced survival and differentiation of B cells: functional cross-talk and implications during Trypanosoma cruzi infectionEva V Acosta-Rodriguez
Immunology, Department of Clinical Biochemistry, Faculty of Chemical Sciences, National University of Cordoba, Cordoba 5000, Argentina
J Immunol 172:493-502. 2004..cruzi infection. Thus, the present study provides evidence of a novel role for Gal-3 as an intracellular mediator of B cell survival and a checkpoint in IL-4-induced B cell commitment toward a memory phenotype...
- Lack of galectin-3 alters the balance of innate immune cytokines and confers resistance to Rhodococcus equi infectionLuciana C Ferraz
Departamento de Biologia Celular e Molecular e Bioagentes Patogênicos, Faculdade de Medicina de Ribeirao Preto, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Ribeirao Preto SP, Brazil
Eur J Immunol 38:2762-75. 2008..equi infection. The bacterial challenge of galectin-3-deficient mice (gal3-/-) and their wild-type counterpart (gal3+/+) revealed that the LD50 for the gal3(-/-) mice was about seven times ..
- Characterization of inflammatory gene expression and galectin-3 function after spinal cord injury in miceAhdeah Pajoohesh-Ganji
Department of Anatomy and Regenerative Biology, The George Washington University Medical Center, 2300 I Street, NW, Washington, DC 20037, USA
Brain Res 1475:96-105. 2012....
- The inactive form of glycogen synthase kinase-3β is associated with the development of carcinomas in galectin-3 wild-type mice, but not in galectin-3-deficient miceDaniella Fernandes Mendonça
Uberlandia Federal University, School of Medicine, Uberlandia, Brazil
Int J Clin Exp Pathol 5:547-54. 2012..Additionally, it is unknown whether the absence of galectin-3 regulates the expression of GSK3β. To this end, Gal3-deficient (Gal3(-/-)) and wild-type (Gal3(+/+)) male mice were treated with 4NQO for 16 weeks and sacrificed at ..
- Genetic and pharmacological inhibition of galectin-3 prevents cardiac remodeling by interfering with myocardial fibrogenesisLili Yu
Department of Cardiology, University Medical Center Groningen, University of Groningen, Groningen, The Netherlands
Circ Heart Fail 6:107-17. 2013..Galectin-3 has been implicated in the development of organ fibrosis. It is unknown whether it is a relevant therapeutic target in cardiac remodeling and heart failure...
- Galectin-3 facilitates neutrophil recruitment as an innate immune response to a parasitic protozoa cutaneous infectionPampa Bhaumik
Glycobiology and Bioimaging Laboratory, Research Centre for Infectious Diseases, Faculty of Medicine, Laval University, Sainte Foy, Quebec G1V 4G2, Canada
J Immunol 190:630-40. 2013..Thus, our data suggest that once extracellularly released, galectin-3 can act as a damage-associated molecular pattern to facilitate early neutrophil migration, which is beneficial in the initial control of the Leishmania infection...
- Carbohydrate-binding protein 35 (Mac-2), a laminin-binding lectin, forms functional dimers using cysteine 186H J Woo
Laboratory of Cancer Biology, Deaconess Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 02115
J Biol Chem 266:18419-22. 1991..These results raise the possibility that homo- and heterodimeric forms of CBP35 contribute to its postulated functions in cell-matrix interactions and growth regulation...
- The major non-integrin laminin binding protein of macrophages is identical to carbohydrate binding protein 35 (Mac-2)H J Woo
Laboratory of Cancer Biology, New England Deaconess Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 02115
J Biol Chem 265:7097-9. 1990..Protein microsequencing data revealed that this protein is identical to carbohydrate binding protein 35. This murine galactose-specific lectin is the macrophage antigen Mac-2...
- Carbohydrate binding protein 35. Complementary DNA sequence reveals homology with proteins of the heterogeneous nuclear RNPS Jia
Department of Biochemistry, Michigan State University, East Lansing 48824
J Biol Chem 263:6009-11. 1988The complete nucleotide sequence of a cDNA clone for carbohydrate binding protein 35, a galactose-specific lectin identified in the nucleus of mouse 3T3 fibroblasts, has been determined...
- Intranuclear distribution of galectin-3 in mouse 3T3 fibroblasts: comparative analyses by immunofluorescence and immunoelectron microscopyM Hubert
Laboratoire de Glycobiologie et de Reconnaissance Cellulaire, U180 INSERM, UFR Biomédicale des Saints Pères Université René Descartes, Paris V, France
Exp Cell Res 220:397-406. 1995The intracellular distribution of carbohydrate binding protein 35 (CBP35), recently named galectin-3, was studied in mouse 3T3 fibroblasts, using immunofluorescence at the light microscope level and immunogold labeling at the ..
- Normal development of mice carrying a null mutation in the gene encoding the L14 S-type lectinF Poirier
Department of Genetics and Development, College of Physicians and Surgeons of Columbia University, New York, NY 10032
Development 119:1229-36. 1993....
- Structure of the murine Mac-2 gene. Splice variants encode proteins lacking functional signal peptidesI M Rosenberg
Molecular Immunology Laboratory, Cancer Center of the Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston
J Biol Chem 268:12393-400. 1993..These results support the view that Mac-2 is exported from the cell by an unusual mechanism which does not depend on the presence of a signal peptide...
- Differential expression of two beta-galactoside-binding lectins in the reproductive tracts of pregnant miceB Phillips
Department of Cell Biology, Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center, Lubbock 79430, USA
Biol Reprod 55:548-58. 1996..These data suggested that the function of galectin-1 is one of tissue maintenance, whereas the function of galectin-3 is related specifically to pregnancy...
- Cubilin, a binding partner for galectin-3 in the murine utero-placental complexSunday Crider-Pirkle
Department of Cell Biology and Biochemistry, Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center, Lubbock, Texas 79430, USA
J Biol Chem 277:15904-12. 2002..This is consistent with cubilin being an endogenous partner of galectin-3 at the maternal-fetal interface and suggests an important role for cubilin in uNK cell function...
- Nucling mediates apoptosis by inhibiting expression of galectin-3 through interference with nuclear factor kappaB signallingLi Liu
The Institute for Enzyme Research, The University of Tokushima, 3 18 15 Kuramoto cho, Tokushima, 770 8503, Japan
Biochem J 380:31-41. 2004..Taken together, we propose that Nucling mediates apoptosis by interacting and inhibiting expression of galectin-3...
- NG2 proteoglycan promotes endothelial cell motility and angiogenesis via engagement of galectin-3 and alpha3beta1 integrinJun ichi Fukushi
The Burnham Institute, La Jolla, California 92037, USA
Mol Biol Cell 15:3580-90. 2004....
- Immunohistochemical and in situ hybridization analysis of galectin-3, a beta-galactoside binding lectin, in the urinary system of adult miceJunko Nio
Laboratory of Anatomy, Graduate School of Veterinary Medicine, Hokkaido University, Kita 18 Nishi 9, 060 0818, Kita ku, Sapporo, Japan
Histochem Cell Biol 126:45-56. 2006..Taken together, the observations indicate that the adult urinary system shows intense and selective expression of galectin-3 in epithelia of the uretic bud- and cloaca-derivatives...
- Gene expression profiles of endothelial progenitor cells by oligonucleotide microarray analysisSouichi Furuhata
Genetics Division, National Cancer Center Research Institute, Tokyo, Japan
Mol Cell Biochem 298:125-38. 2007..In situ hybridization showed that the genes were expressed in isolated cells in the fetal liver at E11.5 and E14.5 of mouse development...
- Role of galectin-3 in prion infections of the CNSSimon W F Mok
Project Neurodegenerative Diseases, Robert Koch Institut, Nordufer 20, 13353 Berlin, Germany
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 359:672-8. 2007..The results point towards a detrimental role of galectin-3 in prion infections of the CNS and suggest that endo-/lysosomal dysfunction in combination with reduced autophagy may contribute to disease development...
- Galectin-3 is an amplifier of inflammation in atherosclerotic plaque progression through macrophage activation and monocyte chemoattractionMarianna Papaspyridonos
Sir William Dunn School of Pathology, University of Oxford, Oxford OX1 3RE, UK
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 28:433-40. 2008..We assessed the hypothesis that increased levels of Gal-3 contribute to atherosclerotic plaque progression by enhancing monocyte chemoattraction through macrophage activation...
- Galectin-3 gene inactivation reduces atherosclerotic lesions and adventitial inflammation in ApoE-deficient miceMaurice Nachtigal
Department of Pathology, Microbiology, and Immunology, University of South Carolina School of Medicine, Columbia, SC 29208, USA
Am J Pathol 172:247-55. 2008This study has examined the role of galectin-3 (GaL3), a multicompartmented N-acetyllactosamine-binding chimeric lectin, on atherogenesis in the ApoE-deficient mouse model of atherosclerosis...
- Cell-type-specific expression of murine multifunctional galectin-3 and its association with follicular atresia/luteolysis in contrast to pro-apoptotic galectins-1 and -7Michaela Lohr
Institute of Physiological Chemistry, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Ludwig Maximilians University, Munich, Germany
Histochem Cell Biol 130:567-81. 2008..This study demonstrates cell-type specificity and cycle-associated regulation for galectin-3 with increased presence in atretic preantral follicles and in late stages of luteolysis...
- Poly N-acetyllactosamine substitutions on N- and not O-oligosaccharides or Thomsen-Friedenreich antigen facilitate lung specific metastasis of melanoma cells via galectin-3Nithya Srinivasan
Advanced Centre for Treatment Research and Education in Cancer ACTREC, Tata Memorial Centre, Sector 22, Kharghar, Navi Mumbai, 410210, India
Glycoconj J 26:445-56. 2009..The studies very comprehensively demonstrate the importance of polylacNAc substitutions on N-oligosaccharides in galectin-3 mediated lung metastasis...
- Sciatic nerve regeneration is accelerated in galectin-3 knockout miceMarcelo Sampaio Narciso
Instituto de Ciencias Biomedicas, Centro de Ciencias da Saude, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Exp Neurol 217:7-15. 2009..This would favor neuron survival, followed by faster myelination, culminating in a better morphological and functional outcome...
- Inhibitory effect of galectin-3 on the cytokine-inducing activity of periodontopathic Aggregatibacter actinomycetemcomitans endotoxin in splenocytes derived from miceTetsuo Kato
Laboratory of Chemistry, Tokyo Dental College, Chiba, Japan
FEMS Immunol Med Microbiol 57:40-5. 2009..02 for IL-6; P<0.05 for IFNgamma), but not in the splenocytes of the 7-month-old mice. This suggests that responses change with age...
- Pathogenic roles of CD14, galectin-3, and OX40 during experimental cerebral malaria in miceMiranda S Oakley
Division of Bacterial, Parasitic and Allergenic Products, Center for Biologics and Evaluation Research, Food and Drug Administration, Bethesda, MD, USA
PLoS ONE 4:e6793. 2009..We find that OX40, a marker of both T cell activation and memory, is selectively upregulated in the brain during ECM and its distribution among CD4(+) and CD8(+) T cells accumulated in the brain vasculature is approximately equal...
- Alternatively activated macrophages engage in homotypic and heterotypic interactions through IL-4 and polyamine-induced E-cadherin/catenin complexesJan Van den Bossche
Department of Molecular and Cellular Interactions, VIB Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Building E, Level 8, Pleinlaan 2, B 1050, Brussels, Belgium
Blood 114:4664-74. 2009..This study identifies the E-cadherin/catenin complex as a discriminative, partly polyamine-regulated feature of IL-4/IL-13-exposed alternatively activated macrophages that contributes to homotypic and heterotypic cellular interactions...
- Chronic upregulation of activated microglia immunoreactive for galectin-3/Mac-2 and nerve growth factor following diffuse axonal injuryCharu Venkatesan
Division of Neurology, Department of Pediatrics, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, IL 60614, USA
J Neuroinflammation 7:32. 2010....
- Galectin-3 preserves renal tubules and modulates extracellular matrix remodeling in progressive fibrosisDaryl M Okamura
Department of Pediatrics, Seattle Children s Research Institute, University of Washington, Division of Nephrology, 4800 Sand Point Way NE, A7931, Seattle, WA 98105, USA
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 300:F245-53. 2011..Taken together, these results suggested that Gal-3 not only protects renal tubules from chronic injury by limiting apoptosis but that it may lead to enhanced matrix remodeling and fibrosis attenuation...
- Lack of galectin-3 disturbs mesenteric lymph node homeostasis and B cell niches in the course of Schistosoma mansoni infectionFelipe L Oliveira
Laboratório de Proliferação e Diferenciação Celular, Instituto de Ciencias Biomedicas, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
PLoS ONE 6:e19216. 2011..mansoni...
- Activation of the Wnt/beta-catenin signaling pathway during oral carcinogenesis process is not influenced by the absence of galectin-3 in miceJuliana Moreira de Almeida Sant'ana
School of Medicine, Uberlandia Federal University, Uberlandia, Brazil
Anticancer Res 31:2805-11. 2011..it is still unknown whether this lectin drives the Wnt signaling activation in lesions from galectin-3-deficient (Gal3⁻/⁻) mice...
- Identification of the metastasis-associated, galactoside-binding lectin as a chimeric gene product with homology to an IgE-binding proteinA Raz
Cancer Metastasis Program, Michigan Cancer Foundation, Detroit, Michigan 48201
Cancer Res 49:3489-93. 1989..Enzymatic treatment with collagenase confirmed the presence of a collagen-like structure in the polypeptide. Unexpectedly, the entire sequence is greater than 85% homologous to a rat low affinity IgE-binding protein...
- The Mac-2 antigen is a galactose-specific lectin that binds IgEB J Cherayil
Molecular Immunology Laboratory, Cancer Center of the Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts
J Exp Med 170:1959-72. 1989..Possible functions for the Mac-2 protein based on its lectin- and IgE-binding properties are discussed...
- Spatio-temporal pattern for expression of galectin-3 in the murine utero-placental complex: evidence for differential regulationV H Lee
Department of Cell Biology and Biochemistry, Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center, Lubbock 79430, USA
Biol Reprod 58:1277-82. 1998..Separate mechanisms for regulating expression of galectin-3 on opposite sides of the feto-maternal interface are indicated...
- Interaction of a novel cysteine and histidine-rich cytoplasmic protein with galectin-3 in a carbohydrate-independent mannerR P Menon
Divisions of Protein Structure and Membrane Biology, National Institute for Medical Research, Mill Hill, London, UK
FEBS Lett 470:227-31. 2000..Confocal immunofluorescence microscopy of permeabilised 3T3 cells shows a prominent perinuclear, as well as cytoplasmic, localisation of the novel protein...
- The murine seminiferous epithelial cycle is pre-figured in the Sertoli cells of the embryonic testisPaula M Timmons
Division of Eukaryotic Molecular Genetics, MRC National Institute for Medical Research, The Ridgeway, Mill Hill, London NW7 1AA, UK
Development 129:635-47. 2002....
- Developmental aspects of galectin-3 expression in the lensRalf Dahm
Max Planck Institute for Developmental Biology, Tubingen, Germany
Histochem Cell Biol 119:219-26. 2003..The spatiotemporal pattern of galectin-3 distribution during lens development favours a role of this lectin in adhesion processes and in the regulation of programmed organelle elimination during lens cell differentiation...
- Impaired retinal angiogenesis in diabetes: role of advanced glycation end products and galectin-3Alan W Stitt
Ophthalmic and Vision Science Research Centre, Queens University Belfast, Royal Victoria Hospital, Grosvenor Road, Belfast, BT12 6BA, Northern Ireland
Diabetes 54:785-94. 2005..in a murine model of oxygen-induced proliferative retinopathy (OIR) in wild-type and galectin-3 knockout mice (gal3(-/-)) after perfusion of preformed AGEs...