Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Irx4
Description: Iroquois related homeobox 4 (Drosophila)
Alias: iroquois-class homeodomain protein IRX-4, homeodomain protein IRXA3, iroquois homeobox protein 4
- Irx4 Marks a Multipotent, Ventricular-Specific Progenitor CellDaryl O Nelson
Department of Cell and Regenerative Biology, University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health, Madison, Wisconsin, USA
Stem Cells 34:2875-2888. 2016..To better understand ventricular myocardium differentiation, we targeted the ventricle-specific gene, Irx4, in mouse embryonic stem cells to generate a reporter cell line...
- Single-Cell Lineage Tracing Reveals that Oriented Cell Division Contributes to Trabecular Morphogenesis and Regional SpecificationJingjing Li
Center for Cardiovascular Sciences, Albany Medical College, Albany, NY 12208, USA
Cell Rep 15:158-70. 2016..Furthermore, N-Cadherin deletion in labeled clones disrupted the clonal patterns. In summary, our data demonstrate that OCD contributes to trabecular morphogenesis and specification. ..
- Irx4 identifies a chamber-specific cell population that contributes to ventricular myocardium developmentDaryl O Nelson
Dev Dyn 243:381-92. 2014..Although the ventricular myocardium is critical for heart function, the cellular hierarchy responsible for ventricle-specific myocardium development remains unresolved...
- Neuregulin 1 sustains the gene regulatory network in both trabecular and nontrabecular myocardiumDonna Lai
Victor Chang Cardiac Research Institute, Lowy Packer Building, 405 Liverpool St, Darlinghurst 2010, Australia
Circ Res 107:715-27. 2010..In development, the membrane-tethered signaling ligand Neuregulin (Nrg)1, expressed in endocardium, is essential for ventricular morphogenesis. In adults, Nrg1 protects against heart failure and can induce cardiomyocytes to divide...
- Dysregulation of cardiogenesis, cardiac conduction, and cell cycle in mice lacking miRNA-1-2Yong Zhao
Gladstone Institute of Cardiovascular Disease, 1650 Owens Street, San Francisco, CA 94158, USA
Cell 129:303-17. 2007..These findings indicate that subtle alteration of miRNA dosage can have profound consequences in mammals and demonstrate the utility of mammalian loss-of-function models in revealing physiologic miRNA targets...
- Atrial identity is determined by a COUP-TFII regulatory networkSan Pin Wu
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Dev Cell 25:417-26. 2013..5 atria identified classic atrial-ventricular identity genes Tbx5, Hey2, Irx4, MLC2v, MLC2a, and MLC1a, among many other cardiac genes, as potential COUP-TFII direct targets...
- Mutations in the NOTCH pathway regulator MIB1 cause left ventricular noncompaction cardiomyopathyGuillermo Luxan
Program of Cardiovascular Developmental Biology, Department of Cardiovascular Development and Repair, Centro Nacional de Investigaciones Cardiovasculares, Madrid, Spain
Nat Med 19:193-201. 2013..These results implicate NOTCH signaling in LVNC and indicate that MIB1 mutations arrest chamber myocardium development, preventing trabecular maturation and compaction...
- The Iroquois homeobox gene, Irx5, is required for retinal cone bipolar cell developmentChi Wa Cheng
Program in Developmental Biology, The Hospital for Sick Children, and Department of Molecular and Medical Genetics, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5G 1X8
Dev Biol 287:48-60. 2005..These results indicate that there are at least two distinct genetic pathways (Irx5-dependent and Vsx1-dependent) regulating the development of Type 2 and Type 3 cone bipolar cells...
- T-box genes coordinate regional rates of proliferation and regional specification during cardiogenesisChen Leng Cai
Skaggs School of Pharmacy, University of California, San Diego, 9500 Gilman Drive, La Jolla, CA 92093, USA
Development 132:2475-87. 2005....
- MEF2C is required for the normal allocation of cells between the ventricular and sinoatrial precursors of the primary heart fieldLinh Vong
Center for Cardiovascular Sciences, Albany Medical Center, Albany, New York 12208, USA
Dev Dyn 235:1809-21. 2006..The underlying genetic program was also affected with altered expression of mlc2a, mlc2v, and irx4 in outflow segment precursors of the primary heart field...
- Hand1 regulates cardiomyocyte proliferation versus differentiation in the developing heartCatherine A Risebro
Molecular Medicine Unit, UCL Institute of Child Health, London WC1N 1EH, UK
Development 133:4595-606. 2006....
- Hesr1 and Hesr2 regulate atrioventricular boundary formation in the developing heart through the repression of Tbx2Hiroki Kokubo
Division of Mammalian Development, National Institute of Genetics, 1111 Yata, Mishima Shizuoka 411 8540, Japan
Development 134:747-55. 2007..Furthermore, we find that the expression of Hesr1 and Hesr2 is independent of Notch2 signaling. Taken together, our data demonstrate that Hesr1 and Hesr2 play crucial roles in AV boundary formation through the suppression of Tbx2...
- The prepattern transcription factor Irx3 directs nephron segment identityLuca Reggiani
Department of Chemistry and Applied Biosciences, Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, ETH Zurich, CH 8093, Zurich, Switzerland
Genes Dev 21:2358-70. 2007..Taken together, irx3 is the first gene known to be necessary and sufficient to specify nephron segment fate in vivo...
- ISL1 and BRN3B co-regulate the differentiation of murine retinal ganglion cellsLing Pan
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Rochester, Rochester, NY 14642, USA
Development 135:1981-90. 2008..Thus, our results uncover a novel regulatory mechanism of BRN3B and ISL1 in RGC differentiation...
- DNA binding-dependent and -independent functions of the Hand2 transcription factor during mouse embryogenesisNing Liu
Department of Molecular Biology, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, 6000 Harry Hines Boulevard, Dallas, TX 75390 9148, USA
Development 136:933-42. 2009..These findings suggest that Hand2 regulates tissue growth and development in vivo through DNA binding-dependent and -independent mechanisms...
- Comparison of Iroquois gene expression in limbs/fins of vertebrate embryosLaura A McDonald
Department of Biology and Biochemistry, University of Bath, Somerset, UK
J Anat 216:683-91. 2010..in vertebrates are well defined and that Clusters A and B are duplicates; in contrast, Irx1 and 3, Irx2 and 5, and Irx4 and 6 are paralogs. All Irx genes in mouse and chick are expressed in developing limbs...
- Gene and cluster-specific expression of the Iroquois family members during mouse developmentA C Houweling
Experimental and Molecular Cardiology Group, Academic Medical Center, University of Amsterdam, 1105 AZ Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Mech Dev 107:169-74. 2001..genes, especially of Irx1 and -2 and of Irx3 and -5, respectively, closely resembled each other while those of Irx4 and -6 were very divergent...
- Chamber formation and morphogenesis in the developing mammalian heartV M Christoffels
Department of Anatomy and Embryology, Academic Medical Center, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, 1105, The Netherlands
Dev Biol 223:266-78. 2000..of expression of genes encoding atrial natriuretic factor, sarcoplasmic reticulum calcium ATPase, Chisel, Irx5, Irx4, myosin light chain 2v, and beta-myosin heavy chain and related these to morphogenesis...
- FOG-2, a cofactor for GATA transcription factors, is essential for heart morphogenesis and development of coronary vessels from epicardiumS G Tevosian
Division of Hematology Oncology, Children s Hospital and Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Cell 101:729-39. 2000..Our findings provide the molecular inroad into the induction of coronary vasculature by myocardium in the developing heart...
- Patterning the embryonic heart: identification of five mouse Iroquois homeobox genes in the developing heartV M Christoffels
Experimental and Molecular Cardiology Group, University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Dev Biol 224:263-74. 2000..Irx3 was found to be expressed specifically in the trabeculated myocardium of the ventricles. Irx4 expression was observed in a segment of the linear heart tube and the atrioventricular canal and ventricular ..
- Organization of mouse Iroquois homeobox genes in two clusters suggests a conserved regulation and function in vertebrate developmentT Peters
Entwicklungs und Molekularbiologie der Tiere, Heinrich Heine Universitat, 40225 Dusseldorf, Germany
Genome Res 10:1453-62. 2000..The maintenance of two cognate Irx gene clusters during vertebrate evolution suggests that their genomic organization is important for the regulation, expression, and function of Irx genes during embryonic development...
- Sensitive nonradioactive detection of mRNA in tissue sections: novel application of the whole-mount in situ hybridization protocolA F Moorman
Experimental and Molecular Cardiology Group, Academic Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Histochem Cytochem 49:1-8. 2001..The radioactive ISH procedure scarcely permitted detection of these sequences, underscoring the value of this novel method...
- Embryonic retinoic acid synthesis is essential for heart morphogenesis in the mouseK Niederreither
Institut de Genetique et de Biologie Moleculaire et Cellulaire, CNRS INSERM ULP College de France, 67404 Illkirch Cedex, CU de Strasbourg, France
Development 128:1019-31. 2001..However, cardiac neural crest cells cannot be properly rescued in Raldh2(-/- )embryos, leading to outflow tract septation defects...
- Expression of Irx6 during mouse morphogenesisJ Mummenhoff
Institut für Entwicklungs und Molekularbiologie der Tiere EMT, Heinrich Heine Universitat, 40225 Dusseldorf, Germany
Mech Dev 103:193-5. 2001..The six murine Irx genes are organized in two clusters, each consisting of three genes. Irx1, Irx2 and Irx4 belong to the IrxA cluster on chromosome 13, whereas Irx3, Irx5 and Irx6, comprising the IrxB cluster, are located ..
- Developmental expression of the Xenopus Iroquois-family homeobox genes, Irx4 and Irx5R J Garriock
Department of Cell Biology and Anatomy, University of Arizona Health Sciences Center, P O Box 245044, 1501 N Campbell Avenue, Tucson, AZ 85724, USA
Dev Genes Evol 211:257-60. 2001We have isolated and characterized the developmental expression of the Xenopus Iroquois 4 (Irx4) and Iroquois 5 (Irx5) homeodomain transcription factors...
- Cardiac expression of the ventricle-specific homeobox gene Irx4 is modulated by Nkx2-5 and dHandB G Bruneau
Department of Genetics, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, 02115, USA
Dev Biol 217:266-77. 2000We report the isolation and characterization of the cDNAs encoded by the murine and human homeobox genes, Irx4 (Iroquois homeobox gene 4)...
- A murine model of Holt-Oram syndrome defines roles of the T-box transcription factor Tbx5 in cardiogenesis and diseaseB G Bruneau
Department of Genetics, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Cell 106:709-21. 2001....
- The combinatorial activities of Nkx2.5 and dHAND are essential for cardiac ventricle formationH Yamagishi
Department of Pediatrics, Division of Cardiology, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, 6000 Harry Hines Boulevard, Dallas, Texas 75390 9148, USA
Dev Biol 239:190-203. 2001..Our molecular analyses also revealed the cooperative regulation of the homeodomain protein, Irx4, by Nkx2.5 and dHAND...
- Bop encodes a muscle-restricted protein containing MYND and SET domains and is essential for cardiac differentiation and morphogenesisPaul D Gottlieb
Section of Molecular Genetics and Microbiology and Institute for Cellular and Molecular Biology, University of Texas at Austin, Austin, Texas 78712, USA
Nat Genet 31:25-32. 2002..These results indicate that m-Bop is essential for cardiomyocyte differentiation and cardiac morphogenesis...
- The developing heart and congenital heart defects: a make or break situationB G Bruneau
Program in Cardiovascular Research, The Hospital for Sick Children, Department of Molecular and Medical Genetics, University of Toronto, ON, Canada
Clin Genet 63:252-61. 2003..This review focuses on recent advances in our understanding of mammalian heart formation, and how some of these processes, when disrupted, lead to congenital heart defects...
- The Iroquois homeobox gene Irx2 is not essential for normal development of the heart and midbrain-hindbrain boundary in miceMelanie Lebel
Program in Developmental Biology, The Hospital for Sick Children, 555 University Avenue, Toronto, Ontario M5G 1X8, Canada
Mol Cell Biol 23:8216-25. 2003..developing heart, suggesting that they might possess distinct functions during heart development, and a role for Irx4 in normal heart development has been recently demonstrated by gene-targeting experiments...
- Functional equivalence of Brn3 POU-domain transcription factors in mouse retinal neurogenesisLing Pan
Center for Aging and Developmental Biology, University of Rochester, Rochester, NY 14642, USA
Development 132:703-12. 2005..These results indicate that Brn3 factors are functionally equal and that their unique roles in neurogenesis are determined by the distinctive Brn3 spatiotemporal expression patterns...
- Mouse hesr1 and hesr2 genes are redundantly required to mediate Notch signaling in the developing cardiovascular systemHiroki Kokubo
Division of Mammalian Development, National Institute of Genetics, Mishima, Shizuoka, Japan
Dev Biol 278:301-9. 2005..Taken together, our results demonstrate a requirement for hesr1 and hesr2 in mediating Notch signaling in the developing cardiac and vascular systems...