Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Hk1
Description: hexokinase 1
Alias: BB404130, Hk-1, Hk1-s, dea, mHk1-s, hexokinase-1, HK I, downeast anemia, hexokinase type I, hexokinase, tumor isozyme
- Direct neuronal glucose uptake heralds activity-dependent increases in cerebral metabolismIben Lundgaard
1 Center for Translational Neuromedicine, University of Rochester, Rochester, New York 14642, USA 2 Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences, Center for Basic and Translational Neuroscience, University of Copenhagen, DK 2200 Copenhagen N, Denmark
Nat Commun 6:6807. 2015..These observations suggest that brain activity and neuronal glucose metabolism are directly linked, and identify the neuron as the principal locus of glucose uptake as visualized by functional brain imaging...
- Renal cortical hexokinase and pentose phosphate pathway activation through the EGFR/Akt signaling pathway in endotoxin-induced acute kidney injuryJoshua A Smith
Department of Drug Discovery and Biomedical Sciences, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, South Carolina and
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 307:F435-44. 2014..Our findings reveal LPS rapidly increases renal cortical HK activity in an EGFR- and Akt-dependent manner and that HK activation is linked to increased pentose phosphate pathway activity. ..
- Metabolomics reveals a role for the chromatin-binding protein HMGN5 in glutathione metabolismEric D Ciappio
Laboratory of Metabolism, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland, United States of America
PLoS ONE 9:e84583. 2014..revealed that expression of two genes affecting glutathione metabolism, glutathione peroxidase 6 (Gpx6) and hexokinase 1 (Hk1), was significantly decreased in Hmgn5(tm1/Y) mouse liver tissue...
- Glucocorticoid receptor is required for foetal heart maturationEva A Rog-Zielinska
Centre for Cardiovascular Science, University of Edinburgh, Queen s Medical Research Institute, Edinburgh EH16 4TJ, UK
Hum Mol Genet 22:3269-82. 2013....
- Multiple glycolytic enzymes are tightly bound to the fibrous sheath of mouse spermatozoaMichelle Krisfalusi
Laboratory for Reproductive Biology, University of North Carolina School of Medicine, NC 27599, USA
Biol Reprod 75:270-8. 2006..These data support a role for the fibrous sheath as a scaffold for anchoring multiple glycolytic enzymes along the length of the flagellum to provide a localized source of ATP that is essential for sperm motility...
- Lnk controls mouse hematopoietic stem cell self-renewal and quiescence through direct interactions with JAK2Alexey Bersenev
Division of Hematology, Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, Department of Pediatrics, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104 4318, USA
J Clin Invest 118:2832-44. 2008..Therefore, we identified Lnk as a physiological negative regulator of JAK2 in stem cells and TPO/Mpl/JAK2/Lnk as a major regulatory pathway in controlling stem cell self-renewal and quiescence...
- The regulation of apoptosis by the downstream regulatory element antagonist modulator/potassium channel interacting protein 3 (DREAM/KChIP3) through interactions with hexokinase ITheodore A Craig
Division of Nephrology and Hypertension, Department of Medicine, Mayo Clinic, 200 First Street SW, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 433:508-12. 2013..DREAM overexpression in neuroblastoma cells reduces hexokinase I localization on isolated mitochondria. The interaction of DREAM with hexokinase I may be important in the regulation of neuronal apoptosis...
- Hexokinase regulates Bax-mediated mitochondrial membrane injury following ischemic stressJonathan M Gall
Renal Section, Department of Medicine, Boston Medical Center, Boston University School of Medicine, Massachusetts, USA
Kidney Int 79:1207-16. 2011..Compared with control, adenoviral-mediated HK I or II overexpression improved cell survival following stress, but did not prevent GSK3β or Bax activation, improve ..
- Chromosomal localization, hematologic characterization, and iron metabolism of the hereditary erythroblastic anemia (hea) mutant mouseRobert A White
Children s Mercy Hospitals and Clinics, Pediatric Research Center, 4th Floor, 2401 Gillham Rd, Kansas City, MO 64108, USA
Blood 104:1511-8. 2004..When this diet is removed there is reversion to anemia with concomitant loss of overloaded iron stores. We speculate that the hea/fsn gene is required for iron uptake into erythropoietic cells and for kidney iron reabsorption...
- Sorting specificity of spermatogenic cell specific region of mouse hexokinase-s (mHk1-s)Noriko Nakamura
Department of Anatomy and Molecular Cell Biology, Graduate School of Medicine, Nagoya University, 65 Tsurumai Cho, Showa Ku, Nagoya, Japan
Mol Reprod Dev 64:113-9. 2003..Our previous study reported on our cloning of mouse Hk1-s (mHk1-s) cDNA, which were expressed only in testis cells, and noted that this cDNA has a spermatogenic cell-..
- Hexokinase-mitochondria interaction mediated by Akt is required to inhibit apoptosis in the presence or absence of Bax and BakNathan Majewski
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Genetics, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, Illinois 60607, USA
Mol Cell 16:819-30. 2004....
- The mouse genome: experimental examination of gene predictions and transcriptional start sitesSujit Dike
Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, Cold Spring Harbor, New York 11724, USA
Genome Res 14:2424-9. 2004..This approach can be a useful tool in the ongoing efforts to increase the quality of gene annotations, especially transcriptional start sites, in complex genomes...
- RanBP2 modulates Cox11 and hexokinase I activities and haploinsufficiency of RanBP2 causes deficits in glucose metabolismAzamat Aslanukov
Third Wave Technologies, Madison, Wisconsin, United States of America
PLoS Genet 2:e177. 2006..and in vivo and colocalizes with the mitochondrial metallochaperone, Cox11, and the pacemaker of glycolysis, hexokinase type I (HKI) via its leucine-rich domain...
- Spermatogenic cell-specific type 1 hexokinase is the predominant hexokinase in spermNoriko Nakamura
Laboratory of Reproductive and Developmental Toxicology, National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, National Institutes of Health, Research Triangle Park, North Carolina, USA
Mol Reprod Dev 75:632-40. 2008..We previously identified three variant transcripts of Hk1 that are expressed specifically in spermatogenic cells, have different 5' untranslated regions, and encode a ..
- Hepatic glycogen synthesis in the absence of glucokinase: the case of embryonic liverDaniel Cifuentes
Institute for Research in Biomedicine, Universitat de Barcelona, Barcelona, Catalonia 08028, Spain
J Biol Chem 283:5642-9. 2008..b>Hexokinase type I or II (HKI, HKII) substitutes for GK in hepatomas and in embryonic livers...
- Methyl jasmonate binds to and detaches mitochondria-bound hexokinaseN Goldin
Department of Human Microbiology, Sackler Faculty of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, Israel
Oncogene 27:4636-43. 2008..The proposed mechanism can serve to guide development of a new selective approach for cancer therapy...
- Cleavage of disulfide bonds in mouse spermatogenic cell-specific type 1 hexokinase isozyme is associated with increased hexokinase activity and initiation of sperm motilityNoriko Nakamura
Gamete Biology Section, Laboratory of Reproductive and Developmental Toxicology, National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, National Institutes of Health, Research Triangle Park, North Carolina 27709, USA
Biol Reprod 79:537-45. 2008..These results strongly suggest that cleavage of disulfide bonds in HK1S dimers contributes to the increases in HK activity and motility that occur when mouse sperm become activated...
- Voltage-dependent anion channel 1-based peptides interact with hexokinase to prevent its anti-apoptotic activityLaetitia Arzoine
Department of Life Sciences, Ben Gurion University of the Negev, Beer Sheva, Israel 84105
J Biol Chem 284:3946-55. 2009..Moreover, VDAC1-based peptides interfering with HK-mediated anti-apoptotic activity may potentiate the efficacy of conventional chemotherapeutic agents...
- Localization of low-density detergent-resistant membrane proteins in intact and acrosome-reacted mouse spermPatricia V Miranda
Department of Veterinary and Animal Sciences, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, MA, USA
Biol Reprod 80:897-904. 2009..In this study, a subset of these proteins (TEX101, basigin, hexokinase 1, facilitated glucose transporter 3, IZUMO, and SPAM1) and other molecules known to be enriched in membrane ..
- A mutation in an alternative untranslated exon of hexokinase 1 associated with hereditary motor and sensory neuropathy -- Russe (HMSNR)Janina Hantke
Laboratory of Molecular Genetics, Western Australian Institute for Medical Research and Centre for Medical Research, University of Western Australia, Perth, Australia
Eur J Hum Genet 17:1606-14. 2009..this region, reducing it to approximately 26 kb of fully characterised sequence spanning the upstream exons of Hexokinase 1 (HK1)...
- Molecular complex of three testis-specific isozymes associated with the mouse sperm fibrous sheath: hexokinase 1, phosphofructokinase M, and glutathione S-transferase mu class 5Noriko Nakamura
Gamete Biology Section, Laboratory of Reproductive and Developmental Toxicology, National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, National Institutes of Health, Research Triangle Park, NC 27709, USA
Biol Reprod 82:504-15. 2010..These results demonstrated that HK1S is tethered in the principal piece region by PFKMS, which in turn is bound tightly to GSTM5 in the FS...
- Hemokinin-1 activates the MAPK pathway and enhances B cell proliferation and antibody productionWei Wang
Department of Immunology, Peking University Health Science Center, Beijing, China
J Immunol 184:3590-7. 2010....
- Lactate downregulates the glycolytic enzymes hexokinase and phosphofructokinase in diverse tissues from miceTiago C Leite
Laboratório de Enzimologia e Controle do Metabolismo LabECoM, Departamento de Fármacos, Faculdade de Farmacia, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
FEBS Lett 585:92-8. 2011..PK activity was not affected by lactate. The activity of HK and PFK is directly related to glucose metabolism. Thus, it is conceivable that lactate exposure can induce inhibition of glucose consumption in tissues...
- The effect of standard chow and reduced hexokinase II on growth, cardiac and skeletal muscle hexokinase and low-flow cardiac ischaemia-reperfusion injuryKirsten M Smeele
Laboratory of Experimental Intensive Care and Anesthesiology LEICA, Department of Anesthesiology, Academic Medical Center AMC, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Lab Anim 45:160-6. 2011..In a cardiac low-flow IR model, resulting in only mild injury, standard chow or reduced HKII does not significantly affect IR damage...
- Expression and activity of hexokinase in the early mouse embryoF D Houghton
Department of Biology, University of York, UK
Mol Hum Reprod 2:793-8. 1996..A role for hexokinase in the phosphate-induced inhibition of early embryo development is also proposed...
- Assignment of the genes coding for pyrophosphatase and hexokinase-1 to mouse chromosome 10: implications for comparative gene mapping in man and mouseP A Lalley
Cytogenet Cell Genet 22:570-2. 1978
- Mapping HSA10 homologous loci in cattleD S Threadgill
Department of Veterinary Pathology, Texas A and M University, College Station 77843
Cytogenet Cell Genet 57:123-6. 1991..and MMU2; interleukin 2 receptor (IL2R) on HSA10 and MMU?; ornithine aminotransferase (OAT) on HSA10 and MMU7; hexokinase 1 (HK1) on HSA10 and MMU10; retinol-binding protein 3 (RBP3) on HSA10 and MMU14; plasminogen activator, urokinase ..
- Mammalian hexokinase 1: evolutionary conservation and structure to function analysisL D Griffin
Institute for Molecular Genetics, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas
Genomics 11:1014-24. 1991We have amplified and sequenced the complete coding region of bovine hexokinase isoenzyme 1 (HK1) from brain RNA with PCR primers selected for sequence conservation...
- Molecular genetic markers spanning mouse chromosome 10C A Kozak
Laboratory of Molecular Microbiology, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892
Genomics 8:519-24. 1990....
- Glucose phosphorylation in tumor cells. Cloning, sequencing, and overexpression in active form of a full-length cDNA encoding a mitochondrial bindable form of hexokinaseK K Arora
Department of Biological Chemistry, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21205
J Biol Chem 265:6481-8. 1990..coli. Questions pertinent to the enzyme's mechanism, regulation, binding to mitochondria, and its marked elevation in tumor cells can now be addressed...
- Gene mapping in the Chinese hamster and conservation of syntenic groups and Q-band homologies between Chinese hamster and mouse chromosomesH Satoh
Cytogenet Cell Genet 39:285-91. 1985..Of the 15 loci, three genes, HK1, PEPC, and SORD, were newly assigned to chromosomes 1, 5, and 6, respectively, while ENO1, PGD, and PGM1 were ..
- Genetic mapping in mammals: chromosome map of domestic catS J O'Brien
Science 216:257-65. 1982..Many of these same linkage groups have not been conserved in the murine genome. The genetic and evolutionary implications of comparative mapping analysis among mammalian species are discussed...
- Hexokinase activity in mouse embryos developed in vivo and in vitroT Ayabe
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Tokyo, Japan
Hum Reprod 9:347-51. 1994..The results suggest that hexokinase may be a key enzyme synthesized as the zygotic genome is expressed in preimplantation embryos, and its measurement may help to assess the quality of embryos developed in vitro...
- Glucokinase: structural analysis of a protein involved in susceptibility to diabetesS J Pilkis
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, State University of New York, Stony Brook 11794 8661
J Biol Chem 269:21925-8. 1994
- Levels of expression of hexokinase, aldose reductase and sorbitol dehydrogenase genes in lens of mouse and ratY Wen
Laboratory for Molecular Genetics, Doheny Eye Institute, Los Angeles, CA
Curr Eye Res 12:323-32. 1993....
- Unique hexokinase messenger ribonucleic acids lacking the porin-binding domain are developmentally expressed in mouse spermatogenic cellsC Mori
Gamete Biology Section, National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, National Institutes of Health, Research Triangle Park, North Carolina 27709
Biol Reprod 49:191-203. 1993We have identified cDNAs representing three hexokinase mRNAs (Hk1-sa, Hk1-sb, Hk1-sc) by screening mouse spermatogenic cell cDNA libraries with a mouse hepatoma cell line hexokinase (Hk1) cDNA [Arora KK, Fanciulli M, Pederson PL...
- Conservation of autosomal gene synteny groups in mouse and manP A Lalley
Nature 274:160-3. 1978
- The genes encoding glucokinase regulatory protein and ketohexokinase co-localize to mouse chromosome 5P J Wightman
Human Genetics Unit, University of Edinburgh, Molecular Medicine Centre, Western General Hospital, Edinburgh EH4 2XU, UK
Mamm Genome 8:700-1. 1997
- Targeting of a germ cell-specific type 1 hexokinase lacking a porin-binding domain to the mitochondria as well as to the head and fibrous sheath of murine spermatozoaA J Travis
Center for Research on Reproduction and Women s Health, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Pennsylvania Medical Center, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104 6080, USA
Mol Biol Cell 9:263-76. 1998Multiple isoforms of type 1 hexokinase (HK1) are transcribed during spermatogenesis in the mouse, including at least three that are presumably germ cell specific: HK1-sa, HK1-sb, and HK1-sc...
- Mouse spermatogenic cell-specific type 1 hexokinase (mHk1-s) transcripts are expressed by alternative splicing from the mHk1 gene and the HK1-S protein is localized mainly in the sperm tailC Mori
Department of Anatomy and Developmental Biology, Faculty of Medicine, Kyoto University, Japan
Mol Reprod Dev 49:374-85. 1998Unique type 1 hexokinase (HK1) mRNAs are present in mouse spermatogenic cells (mHk1-s)...
- Comparison of murine Supt4h and a nearly identical expressed, processed gene: evidence of sequence conservation through gene conversion extending into the untranslated regionsP W Chiang
University of Michigan Medical Center, Department of Pediatrics and Department of Human Genetics, 1150 West Medical Center Drive, 3520 MSRB I, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 0650, USA
Nucleic Acids Res 26:4960-4. 1998..This illustrates another potential complexity of the mammalian genome, i.e. the use of a processed gene under the control of a different promoter region than the spliced gene...
- Developmental regulation of genes mediating murine brain glucose uptakeJ Y Khan
Division of Neonatology and Developmental Biology, Department of Pediatrics, University of Pittsburgh, Magee Womens Research Institute, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15213 3180, USA
Am J Physiol 276:R892-900. 1999....
- A novel NH(2)-terminal, nonhydrophobic motif targets a male germ cell-specific hexokinase to the endoplasmic reticulum and plasma membraneA J Travis
Center for Research on Reproduction and Women s Health, University of Pennsylvania Medical Center, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104 6142, USA
J Biol Chem 274:34467-75. 1999Although three germ cell-specific transcripts of type 1 hexokinase exist in murine male germ cells, only one form, HK1-sc, is found at the protein level...
- Function of CD3 epsilon-mediated signals in T cell developmentC L Sommers
Laboratory of Mammalian Genes and Development, National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
J Exp Med 192:913-19. 2000..Unexpectedly, analysis of TCR-transgenic/CD3 epsilon-mutant mice reveals a potential role for CD3 epsilon signals in T cell survival...
- High-resolution genetic and physical mapping of modifier-of-deafwaddler (mdfw) and Waltzer (Cdh23v)E C Bryda
Department of Microbiology, Immunology and Molecular Genetics, Huntington, West Virginia 25704, USA
Genomics 73:338-42. 2001..35-cM interval that is represented in an approximately 500-kb BAC contig. Our data suggest that mdfw and Cdh23v are allelic...
- Mutations in Cdh23 cause nonsyndromic hearing loss in waltzer miceS M Wilson
Mouse Cancer Genetics Program, National Cancer Institute Frederick, Frederick, Maryland 21702, USA
Genomics 74:228-33. 2001..Finally, mutations in human CDH23 have recently been described for two loci, DFNB12 and USH1D, which cause nonsyndromic deafness, identifying waltzer as a mouse model for human hearing loss...
- Downeast anemia (dea), a new mouse model of severe nonspherocytic hemolytic anemia caused by hexokinase (HK(1)) deficiencyL L Peters
The Jackson Laboratory, Bar Harbor, Maine 04609, USA
Blood Cells Mol Dis 27:850-60. 2001A new spontaneous mutation in the A/J inbred mouse strain, downeast anemia (dea), causes severe hemolytic anemia with extensive tissue iron deposition and marked reticulocytosis...
- Tolbutamide alters glucose transport and metabolism in the embryonic mouse heartIda W Smoak
North Carolina State University College of Veterinary Medicine, 4700 Hillsborough Street, Raleigh, North Carolina 27606, USA
Teratology 65:19-25. 2002..Tolbutamide increases glucose metabolism in extra-pancreatic adult tissues, but this has not previously been examined in embryonic heart...