Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Hand2
Description: heart and neural crest derivatives expressed transcript 2
Alias: AI225906, AI661148, Ehand2, Hed, Th2, Thing2, bHLHa26, dHAND, heart- and neural crest derivatives-expressed protein 2, deciduum, heart, autonomic nervous system and neural crest derivatives-expressed protein 2, helix-loop-helix transcription factor expressed in embryo and deciduum, thing-2
Publications125 found, 100 shown here
- Galphaq and Galpha11 proteins mediate endothelin-1 signaling in neural crest-derived pharyngeal arch mesenchymeKathryn Ivey
Department of Molecular Biology, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, 5323 Harry Hines Boulevard, Dallas, TX 75390 9104, USA
Dev Biol 255:230-7. 2003..Expression of genes encoding the ET-1-dependent transcription factors Dlx3, Dlx6, dHAND, and eHAND was specifically downregulated in the pharyngeal arches of Galpha(q)/Galpha(11)-deficient mice...
- A signaling cascade involving endothelin-1, dHAND and msx1 regulates development of neural-crest-derived branchial arch mesenchymeT Thomas
Department of Pediatrics, Division of Cardiology and Department of Molecular Biology and Oncology, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas 75235 9148, USA edu
Development 125:3005-14. 1998..Here we show that the basic helix-loop-helix transcription factor, dHAND, is expressed in the mesenchyme underlying the branchial arch epithelium...
- Jaw transformation with gain of symmetry after Dlx5/Dlx6 inactivation: mirror of the past?Annemiek Beverdam
Laboratory of Molecular Morphogenesis, National Institute for Cancer Research, Genova, Italy
Genesis 34:221-7. 2002..Our finding supports the notion that Dlx genes are homeotic genes associated with morphological novelty in the vertebrate lineage...
- Loss of Apaf-1 leads to partial rescue of the HAND2-null phenotypeAparna R Aiyer
Department of Pediatrics, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas, 6000 Harry Hines Boulevard, Room NA8 124, Dallas, TX 75390 9148, USA
Dev Biol 278:155-62. 2005b>HAND2 is an essential transcription factor for cardiac, pharyngeal arch, and limb development. Apoptosis in the HAND2-null embryo causes hypoplasia of the right ventricle and pharyngeal arches leading to lethality by embryonic day (E)10...
- Ablation of the CLP-1 gene leads to down-regulation of the HAND1 gene and abnormality of the left ventricle of the heart and fetal deathFacan Huang
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, Center for Cardiovascular and Muscle Research, State University of New York, Health Science Center at Brooklyn, Box 5, 450 Clarkson Avenue, Brooklyn, NY 11203, USA
Mech Dev 121:559-72. 2004..These data suggest that CLP-1 and the HAND transcription factors may be part of a genetic program critical to proper heart development, perturbation of which can lead to cardiomyopathy...
- Patched 1 is a crucial determinant of asymmetry and digit number in the vertebrate limbNatalie C Butterfield
The University of Queensland, Institute for Molecular Bioscience, Queensland, Australia
Development 136:3515-24. 2009..These results establish the importance of the downstream consequences of Hh pathway repression, and identify Ptc1 as a key player in limb patterning even prior to the onset of Shh expression...
- Phylogenetic conservation of a limb-specific, cis-acting regulator of Sonic hedgehog ( Shh)Tomoko Sagai
Mammalian Genetics Laboratory, National Institute of Genetics, Yata 1111, Mishima, Shizuoka ken 411 8540, Japan
Mamm Genome 15:23-34. 2004..Absence of the conserved sequence in limbless reptiles and amphibians and a cis- trans test using the Hx and Shh KO alleles suggest that the sequence is a cis-acting regulator that controls the polarized expression of Shh...
- Requirement of the transcription factor GATA4 for heart tube formation and ventral morphogenesisJ D Molkentin
Department of Molecular Biology and Oncology, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas, 75235 9148, USA
Genes Dev 11:1061-72. 1997..We propose that GATA4 is required for the migration or folding morphogenesis of the precardiogenic splanchnic mesodermal cells at the level of the AIP...
- Regulation of cardiac mesodermal and neural crest development by the bHLH transcription factor, dHANDD Srivastava
Department of Pediatrics, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas 75235 9148, USA
Nat Genet 16:154-60. 1997b>dHAND and eHAND are related basic helix-loop-helix (bHLH) transcription factors that are expressed in mesodermal and neural crest-derived structures of the developing heart...
- The bHLH factors, dHAND and eHAND, specify pulmonary and systemic cardiac ventricles independent of left-right sidednessT Thomas
Department of Pediatrics, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas 75235 9148, USA
Dev Biol 196:228-36. 1998b>dHAND and eHAND are basic helix-loop-helix transcription factors that play critical roles in cardiac development...
- The cardiac homeobox gene Csx/Nkx2.5 lies genetically upstream of multiple genes essential for heart developmentM Tanaka
Cardiovascular Division, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, and Department of Medicine, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Development 126:1269-80. 1999..5 null cells exert dominant interfering effects on cardiac development, and (6) there were severe defects in yolk sac angiogenesis and hematopoiesis in the Csx/Nkx2.5 null embryos...
- Role of dHAND in the anterior-posterior polarization of the limb bud: implications for the Sonic hedgehog pathwayM Fernandez-Teran
Departamento de Anatomia y Biologia Celular, Universidad de Cantabria, Spain
Development 127:2133-42. 2000b>dHAND is a basic helix-loop-helix (bHLH) transcription factor essential for cardiovascular development. Here we analyze its pattern of expression and functional role during chick limb development...
- Misexpression of dHAND induces ectopic digits in the developing limb bud in the absence of direct DNA bindingDavid G McFadden
Department of Molecular Biology, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, 6000 Harry Hines Blvd, Dallas, TX 75390 9148, USA
Development 129:3077-88. 2002..eHAND and dHAND (also known as HAND1 and HAND2) are closely related bHLH proteins that control cardiac, craniofacial and limb development...
- HAND1 and HAND2 are expressed in the adult-rodent heart and are modulated during cardiac hypertrophyBijoy D Thattaliyath
Department of Physiology, The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, 7703 Floyd Curl Drive, Mail code 7756, San Antonio, TX 78229 3900, USA
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 297:870-5. 2002..Mouse expression of HAND1 and HAND2 was reported absent in the adult heart...
- A HANDful of questions: the molecular biology of the heart and neural crest derivatives (HAND)-subclass of basic helix-loop-helix transcription factorsAnthony B Firulli
Wells Center for Pediatric Research, James Whitcomb Riley Hospital for Children, Indiana University School of Medicine, 702 Barnhill Drive, Room 2666, Indianapolis, IN 46202 5225, USA
Gene 312:27-40. 2003The HAND subclass of basic Helix-loop-helix factors is comprised of two members HAND1 and HAND2. HAND genes are present within the genomes of organisms ranging from flies to man...
- BMP10 is essential for maintaining cardiac growth during murine cardiogenesisHanying Chen
Herman B Wells Center for Pediatric Research, Department of Pediatrics, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
Development 131:2219-31. 2004..This may provide an underlying mechanism for understanding the pathogenesis of both structural and functional congenital heart defects...
- Essential role of Gata transcription factors in sympathetic neuron developmentKonstantina Tsarovina
Max Planck Institut für Hirnforschung, Abteilung Neurochemie, Deutschordenstr 46, 60528 Frankfurt Main, Germany
Development 131:4775-86. 2004..from neural crest precursors by a network of crossregulatory transcription factors, which includes Mash1, Phox2b, Hand2 and Phox2a...
- The Hand1 and Hand2 transcription factors regulate expansion of the embryonic cardiac ventricles in a gene dosage-dependent mannerDavid G McFadden
Department of Molecular Biology, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, 6000 Harry Hines Boulevard, Dallas, TX 75390 9148, USA
Development 132:189-201. 2005The basic helix-loop-helix transcription factors Hand1 and Hand2 display dynamic and spatially restricted expression patterns in the developing heart. Mice that lack Hand2 die at embryonic day 10...
- Altered Twist1 and Hand2 dimerization is associated with Saethre-Chotzen syndrome and limb abnormalitiesBeth A Firulli
Wells Center for Pediatric Research, James Whitcomb Riley Hospital for Children, Department of Pediatrics, Indiana Medical School, 1044 W Walnut R4 371, Indianapolis, Indiana 46202 5225, USA
Nat Genet 37:373-81. 2005..We show that ectopic expression of the related basic helix-loop-helix factor Hand2 phenocopies Twist1 loss of function in the limb and that the two factors have a gene dosage-dependent antagonistic ..
- Dysregulation of cardiogenesis, cardiac conduction, and cell cycle in mice lacking miRNA-1-2Yong Zhao
Gladstone Institute of Cardiovascular Disease, 1650 Owens Street, San Francisco, CA 94158, USA
Cell 129:303-17. 2007..These findings indicate that subtle alteration of miRNA dosage can have profound consequences in mammals and demonstrate the utility of mammalian loss-of-function models in revealing physiologic miRNA targets...
- Hand2 determines the noradrenergic phenotype in the mouse sympathetic nervous systemYuka Morikawa
Department of Cell and Molecular Biology, Tulane University, 2000 Percival Stern Hall, New Orleans, LA 70118, USA
Dev Biol 307:114-26. 2007The basic helix-loop-helix (bHLH) transcription factor Hand2 has been shown to play a role in the development of the mammalian sympathetic nervous system (SNS); however, its precise role could not be uncovered because Hand2 is required ..
- Msx1 and Msx2 regulate survival of secondary heart field precursors and post-migratory proliferation of cardiac neural crest in the outflow tractYi Hui Chen
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Norris Comprehensive Cancer Center and Hospital, University of Southern California Keck School of Medicine, 1441 Eastlake Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90033, USA
Dev Biol 308:421-37. 2007..ectopic apoptosis in the Msx1-/-; Msx2-/- mutant SHF is associated with reduced expression of Hand1 and Hand2, which from work on Hand1 and Hand2 mutants may be functionally important in the inhibition of apoptosis in Msx1/2 ..
- Mutations within helix I of Twist1 result in distinct limb defects and variation of DNA binding affinitiesBeth A Firulli
Herman B Wells Center for Pediatric Research, James Whitcomb Riley Hospital for Children, Department of Pediatrics, Division of Cardiology, Indiana Medical School, 1044 E Walnut, Indianapolis, IN 46202 5225, USA
J Biol Chem 282:27536-46. 2007..of Twist1 results in polydactyly via the inability of Twist1 to antagonistically regulate the related factor Hand2. The mechanism modulating Twist1-Hand2 antagonism is via phosphoregulation of conserved threonine and serine ..
- Hoxd and Gli3 interactions modulate digit number in the amniote limbRushikesh Sheth
Departamento de Anatomia y Biologia Celular, Universidad de Cantabria, 39011, Santander, Spain
Dev Biol 310:430-41. 2007..Our results also support the notion that an adequate balance between positive and negative effects of different Hoxd genes is required for pentadactyly...
- An absence of Twist1 results in aberrant cardiac neural crest morphogenesisJoshua W Vincentz
Riley Heart Research Center, Riley Hospital for Children, Department of Pediatrics Pediatric Cardiology, Indiana Medical School, 1044 W Walnut St, Indianapolis, IN 46202 5225, USA
Dev Biol 320:131-9. 2008..The nodular mesenchyme expresses the related bHLH factors Hand1 and Hand2, but reduced levels of the normal cushion marker Periostin...
- DNA binding-dependent and -independent functions of the Hand2 transcription factor during mouse embryogenesisNing Liu
Department of Molecular Biology, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, 6000 Harry Hines Boulevard, Dallas, TX 75390 9148, USA
Development 136:933-42. 2009The basic helix-loop-helix (bHLH) transcription factor Hand2 is required for growth and development of the heart, branchial arches and limb buds...
- A SHH-independent regulation of Gli3 is a significant determinant of anteroposterior patterning of the limb budPatrick Hill
Institut für Entwicklungs und Molekularbiologie der Tiere, Heinrich Heine Universitat Dusseldorf, 40225 Dusseldorf, Germany
Dev Biol 328:506-16. 2009..Furthermore, we present evidence that the anteroposterior grading of GLI3 activity by the action of SHH is supported by a prototype patterning, which regulates Gli3 independently from SHH...
- Distinct roles of Hand2 in initiating polarity and posterior Shh expression during the onset of mouse limb bud developmentAntonella Galli
Developmental Genetics, Department of Biomedicine, University of Basel, Basel, Switzerland
PLoS Genet 6:e1000901. 2010..Inactivation of the Hand2 transcriptional regulator from the onset of mouse forelimb bud development disrupts establishment of posterior ..
- Analysis of the Hand1 cell lineage reveals novel contributions to cardiovascular, neural crest, extra-embryonic, and lateral mesoderm derivativesRalston M Barnes
Riley Heart Research Center, Wells Center for Pediatric Research, Division of Pediatric Cardiology, Department of Anatomy, Indiana Medical School, Indianapolis, Indiana 46202 5225, USA
Dev Dyn 239:3086-97. 2010The basic Helix-Loop-Helix (bHLH) transcription factors Hand1 and Hand2 play critical roles in the development of multiple organ systems during embryogenesis...
- The canonical Wnt signaling activator, R-spondin2, regulates craniofacial patterning and morphogenesis within the branchial arch through ectodermal-mesenchymal interactionYong Ri Jin
Center for Molecular Medicine, Maine Medical Center Research Institute, Maine Medical Center, 81 Research Drive, Scarborough, ME 04074, USA
Dev Biol 352:1-13. 2011..In contrast, Rspo2 regulates expression of the Dlx5, Dlx6, and Hand2 genes in mesenchymal cells via inducing expression of their upstream activator, Endothelin1 (Edn1), within ..
- Hand2 loss-of-function in Hand1-expressing cells reveals distinct roles in epicardial and coronary vessel developmentRalston M Barnes
Riley Heart Research Center, Wells Center for Pediatric Research, Division of Pediatric Cardiology, Departments of Anatomy and Medical and Molecular Genetics, Indiana Medical School, Indianapolis, 46202 5225, USA
Circ Res 108:940-9. 2011The basic helix-loop-helix (bHLH) transcription factors Hand1 and Hand2 are essential for embryonic development. Given their requirement for cardiogenesis, it is imperative to determine their impact on cardiovascular function.
- GATA5 interacts with GATA4 and GATA6 in outflow tract developmentBrigitte Laforest
Laboratoire de développement et différentiation cardiaque, Programme de biologie moléculaire, Universite de Montreal, Montreal QC, Canada H3C 3J7
Dev Biol 358:368-78. 2011..factors important for endocardial and myocardial cell differentiation, such as Tbx20, Mef2c, Hey1 and Hand2, was reduced in compound heterozygote embryos...
- Ectodermal-derived Endothelin1 is required for patterning the distal and intermediate domains of the mouse mandibular archAndré L P Tavares
Department of Craniofacial Biology, University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus, Aurora, CO 80045, USA
Dev Biol 371:47-56. 2012..Together, our results illustrate an integral role for ectoderm-derived Edn1 in early arch morphogenesis, particularly in the intermediate domain...
- A switch from low to high Shh activity regulates establishment of limb progenitors and signaling centersOlena Zhulyn
Program in Developmental and Stem Cell Biology, The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, ON M5G 1X8, Canada Department of Molecular Genetics, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON M5S 1A8, Canada
Dev Cell 29:241-9. 2014..into anterior and posterior regions through the antagonistic actions of transcription factors Gli3 and Hand2. We demonstrate that precocious activation of Shh signaling during this early phase interferes with the Gli3-..
- Identification of a new family of tissue-specific basic helix-loop-helix proteins with a two-hybrid systemS M Hollenberg
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, Washington 98104, USA
Mol Cell Biol 15:3813-22. 1995..Transient transfection of NIH 3T3 cells with GAL4-Th1 fusions reveals a repression activity mediated by the Th1 bHLH domain. In combination, these properties define Th1 as a new bHLH protein with a unique set of properties...
- Heart and extra-embryonic mesodermal defects in mouse embryos lacking the bHLH transcription factor Hand1A B Firulli
Department of Molecular Biology, The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas, 75235 9148, USA
Nat Genet 18:266-70. 1998..bHLH) transcription factors, Hand1 and Hand2 (refs 1,2), also called eHand/Hxt/Thing1 and dHand/Hed/Thing2 (refs 3,4), respectively, are expressed in the heart and certain neural-crest derivatives during embryogenesis...
- The Hand1 bHLH transcription factor is essential for placentation and cardiac morphogenesisP Riley
Program in Development and Fetal Health, Samuel Lunenfeld Research Institute, Mount Sinai Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Nat Genet 18:271-5. 1998..Their heart tubes showed abnormal looping and ventricular myocardial differentiation. Therefore, Hand1 is essential for differentiation of both trophoblast and cardiomyocytes, which are embryologically distinct cell lineages...
- The bHLH transcription factor dHAND controls Sonic hedgehog expression and establishment of the zone of polarizing activity during limb developmentJ Charite
Department of Molecular Biology, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas, Dallas, Texas 75390 9148, USA
Development 127:2461-70. 2000..We show that the basic helix-loop-helix transcription factor dHAND is expressed posteriorly in the developing limb prior to Shh and subsequently occupies a broad domain that ..
- Tbx1, a DiGeorge syndrome candidate gene, is regulated by sonic hedgehog during pharyngeal arch developmentV Garg
Department of Pediatrics, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas, 6000 Harry Hines Boulevard, Rm NA8 124, Dallas, Texas 75390 9148, USA
Dev Biol 235:62-73. 2001..Furthermore, Shh was sufficient to induce Tbx1 expression when misexpressed in selected regions of chick embryos. These studies reveal a Shh-mediated pathway that regulates Tbx1 during pharyngeal arch development...
- A murine model of Holt-Oram syndrome defines roles of the T-box transcription factor Tbx5 in cardiogenesis and diseaseB G Bruneau
Department of Genetics, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Cell 106:709-21. 2001....
- The basic helix-loop-helix factor, HAND2, functions as a transcriptional activator by binding to E-boxes as a heterodimerYan Shan Dai
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, Columbia University, New York, NY 10032, USA
J Biol Chem 277:12604-12. 2002HAND2 (dHAND) is a basic helix-loop-helix (bHLH) transcription factor expressed in numerous tissues during development including the heart, limbs, and a subset of neural crest derivatives...
- Mutual genetic antagonism involving GLI3 and dHAND prepatterns the vertebrate limb bud mesenchyme prior to SHH signalingPascal te Welscher
Department of Developmental Biology, Faculty of Biology, Utrecht University, 3584CH Utrecht, The Netherlands
Genes Dev 16:421-6. 2002The bHLH transcription factor dHAND is required for establishment of SHH signaling by the limb bud organizer in posterior mesenchyme, a step crucial to development of vertebrate paired appendages...
- Embryonic retinoic acid synthesis is required for forelimb growth and anteroposterior patterning in the mouseKaren Niederreither
Institut de Genetique et de Biologie Moleculaire et Cellulaire, CNRS INSERM ULP College de France, BP 10142, 67404 Illkirch Cedex, CU de Strasbourg, France
Development 129:3563-74. 2002..We suggest that RA signaling cooperates with a posteriorly restricted factor such as dHand, to generate a functional zone of polarizing activity (ZPA).
- Specification of jaw subdivisions by Dlx genesMichael J Depew
Nina Ireland Laboratory of Developmental Neurobiology, 401 Parnassus Avenue, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94143 0984, USA
Science 298:381-5. 2002..We suggest that nested Dlx expression in the arches patterns their proximodistal axes. Evolutionary acquisition and subsequent refinement of jaws may have been dependent on modification of Dlx expression...
- Fgf8 is required for pharyngeal arch and cardiovascular development in the mouseRadwan Abu-Issa
Department of Pediatrics, Neonatal Perinatal Research Institute, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Development 129:4613-25. 2002..This study defines the cardiovascular defects present in Fgf8 mutants and supports a role for Fgf8 in development of all the pharyngeal arches and in NCC survival...
- The basic-helix-loop-helix transcription factor HAND2 directly regulates transcription of the atrial naturetic peptide geneBijoy D Thattaliyath
Department of Physiology, Mail code 7756, The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, 7703 Floyd Curl Drive, San Antonio, TX 78229 3900, USA
J Mol Cell Cardiol 34:1335-44. 2002..In efforts to identify downstream transcriptional targets, we have determined that HAND2 regulates the transcription of the Atrial Naturetic Peptide (ANP) gene...
- Mammary gland, limb and yolk sac defects in mice lacking Tbx3, the gene mutated in human ulnar mammary syndromeTodd G Davenport
Department of Genetics and Development, College of Physicians and Surgeons of Columbia University, 701 W 168th Street, New York, NY 10032, USA
Development 130:2263-73. 2003....
- PKA, PKC, and the protein phosphatase 2A influence HAND factor function: a mechanism for tissue-specific transcriptional regulationBeth A Firulli
Wells Center for Pediatric Research, James Whitcomb Riley Hospital for Children, 702 Barnhill Drive, Room 2666, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
Mol Cell 12:1225-37. 2003The bHLH factors HAND1 and HAND2 are required for heart, vascular, neuronal, limb, and extraembryonic development. Unlike most bHLH proteins, HAND factors exhibit promiscuous dimerization properties...
- Hedgehog signaling in the neural crest cells regulates the patterning and growth of facial primordiaJuhee Jeong
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA 02138, USA
Genes Dev 18:937-51. 2004..Further, our analysis of Shh-Fox gene regulatory interactions leads us to propose that Fox genes mediate the action of Shh in facial development...
- Role of Hand1/eHAND in the dorso-ventral patterning and interventricular septum formation in the embryonic heartKiyonori Togi
Department of Social Service, Kyoto University Hospital, 54 Shogoin Kawahara cho, Sakyo ku, Kyoto 606 8507, Japan
Mol Cell Biol 24:4627-35. 2004..Furthermore, expression of Hand1/eHAND in the whole ventricles altered the expression patterns of Chisel, ANF, and Hand2/dHAND but did not affect Tbx5 expression...
- Akt-dependent phosphorylation negatively regulates the transcriptional activity of dHAND by inhibiting the DNA binding activityMasao Murakami
Division of Integrative Cell Biology, Department of Embryogenesis, Institute of Molecular Embryology and Genetics, Kumamoto University, Japan
Eur J Biochem 271:3330-9. 2004HAND2/dHAND is a basic helix-loop-helix transcription factor expressed in the heart and neural crest derivatives during embryogenesis...
- Endothelin-A receptor-dependent and -independent signaling pathways in establishing mandibular identityLouis Bruno Ruest
Department of Molecular, Cellular and Craniofacial Biology and the Birth Defects Center, University of Louisville, Louisville, KY 40292, USA
Development 131:4413-23. 2004..proximal first arch gene expression into the distal arch, in addition to the previously described loss of a Dlx6/Hand2 expression network. However, a small distal Hand2 expression domain remains...
- Morphogenesis of the right ventricle requires myocardial expression of Gata4Elisabeth M Zeisberg
Cardiovascular Division, Department of Medicine, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
J Clin Invest 115:1522-31. 2005..RV hypoplasia was associated with downregulation of Hand2, a transcription factor previously shown to regulate formation of the RV...
- Mouse intraflagellar transport proteins regulate both the activator and repressor functions of Gli transcription factorsAimin Liu
Department of Pediatrics, University of Colorado at Denver and Health Sciences Center, Mailstop 8322, Box 6511, Aurora, CO 80045, USA
Development 132:3103-11. 2005..Expression of Gli3 and Hand2 in the mutant limb indicates that the limb prepattern is abnormal...
- Serum response factor regulates a muscle-specific microRNA that targets Hand2 during cardiogenesisYong Zhao
Department of Pediatrics Cardiology, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center and Children s Medical Center Dallas, 6000 Harry Hines Boulevard, Dallas, Texas 75390 9148, USA
Nature 436:214-20. 2005..microRNA target identification that incorporates features of RNA structure and target accessibility, we show that Hand2, a transcription factor that promotes ventricular cardiomyocyte expansion, is a target of miR-1...
- Early developmental arrest of mammalian limbs lacking HoxA/HoxD gene functionMarie Kmita
Department of Zoology and Animal Biology and National Research Centre Frontiers in Genetics, University of Geneva, Sciences III, Quai Ernest Ansermet 30, 1211 Geneva 4, Switzerland
Nature 435:1113-6. 2005..Accordingly, these mutant limbs may be reminiscent of an ancestral trunk extension, related to that proposed for arthropods...
- Pbx1/Pbx2 requirement for distal limb patterning is mediated by the hierarchical control of Hox gene spatial distribution and Shh expressionTerence D Capellini
Department of Cell and Developmental Biology, Cornell University Weill Medical School, New York, NY 10021, USA
Development 133:2263-73. 2006....
- Conditional deletion of Hand2 reveals critical functions in neurogenesis and cell type-specific gene expression for development of neural crest-derived noradrenergic sympathetic ganglion neuronsTyler J Hendershot
Department of Neurosciences, Program in Neurosciences and Degenerative Disease, University of Toledo Health Sciences Center, Toledo, OH 43614, USA
Dev Biol 319:179-91. 2008..crest-derived structures that depend critically upon expression of the basic helix-loop-helix DNA binding protein Hand2 for normal development include craniofacial cartilage and bone, the outflow tract of the heart, cardiac cushion, ..
- Msx1 and Msx2 are required for endothelial-mesenchymal transformation of the atrioventricular cushions and patterning of the atrioventricular myocardiumYi Hui Chen
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, USC Norris Comprehensive Cancer Center and Hospital, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA 90089 9176, USA
BMC Dev Biol 8:75. 2008....
- A genome-scale analysis of the cis-regulatory circuitry underlying sonic hedgehog-mediated patterning of the mammalian limbSteven A Vokes
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138, USA
Genes Dev 22:2651-63. 2008..In contrast, a long-range silencer cassette downstream from Hand2 likely mediates Gli3 repression in the anterior limb...
- An endothelin-1 switch specifies maxillomandibular identityTakahiro Sato
Department of Physiological Chemistry and Metabolism, Graduate School of Medicine, University of Tokyo, 7 3 1 Hongo, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 0033, Japan
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105:18806-11. 2008..The endothelin-1 (Edn1)/endothelin receptor type-A (Ednra)-->Dlx5/6-->Hand2 signaling pathway is necessary for lower jaw formation...
- Sequential requirement of Sox4 and Sox11 during development of the sympathetic nervous systemMichaela R Potzner
Institut fur Biochemie, Emil Fischer Zentrum, Universitat Erlangen Nurnberg, 91054 Erlangen, Germany
Development 137:775-84. 2010..As a consequence, sympathetic ganglia were rudimentary in the adult and sympathetic innervation of target tissues was impaired leading to severe dysautonomia...
- Twist1 activity thresholds define multiple functions in limb developmentDayana Krawchuk
Department of Genetics and Development, Columbia University Medical Center, New York, NY 10032, USA
Dev Biol 347:133-46. 2010..Conversely this and other phenotypes are suppressed by reducing the dosage of the Twist1 antagonist Hand2. Our data support a model whereby multiple Twist1 activity thresholds contribute to early limb bud patterning, and ..
- The antiproliferative action of progesterone in uterine epithelium is mediated by Hand2Quanxi Li
Department of Comparative Biosciences, University of Illinois Urbana Champaign, Urbana, IL 61820, USA
Science 331:912-6. 2011..Our study reveals that progesterone-induced expression of the basic helix-loop-helix transcription factor Hand2 in the uterine stroma suppresses the production of several fibroblast growth factors (FGFs) that act as paracrine ..
- Mutations in mouse Ift144 model the craniofacial, limb and rib defects in skeletal ciliopathiesAlyson Ashe
Epigenetics Laboratory, Queensland Institute for Medical Research, Herston, Queensland 4006, Australia
Hum Mol Genet 21:1808-23. 2012..This allelic series of mouse mutants provides a unique opportunity to uncover the underlying mechanistic basis of this intriguing subset of ciliopathies...
- The basic helix-loop-helix transcription factor, dHAND, is required for vascular developmentH Yamagishi
Department of Pediatrics, Division of Cardiology, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas 75235, USA
J Clin Invest 105:261-70. 2000..Here we show that the basic helix-loop-helix transcription factor, dHAND/Hand2, is expressed in the developing vascular mesenchyme and its derivative, vascular smooth muscle cells (VSMCs)...
- Proper coronary vascular development and heart morphogenesis depend on interaction of GATA-4 with FOG cofactorsJ D Crispino
Division of Hematology and Oncology, Children s Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Genes Dev 15:839-44. 2001..We also infer that GATA-4 function is dependent on interaction with FOG-2 and, very likely, an additional FOG protein for distinct aspects of heart formation...
- Shh and Gli3 are dispensable for limb skeleton formation but regulate digit number and identityYing Litingtung
Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Department of Cell and Developmental Biology, Nashville, Tennessee 37232, USA
Nature 418:979-83. 2002....
- Insm1 (IA-1) is a crucial component of the transcriptional network that controls differentiation of the sympatho-adrenal lineageHendrik Wildner
Max Delbrück Centrum for Molecular Medicine, Robert Rossle Strasse 10, 13125 Berlin, Germany
Development 135:473-81. 2008..The transcription factors Mash1 (Ascl1), Phox2a, Gata3 and Hand2 (previously dHand) control the differentiation of sympatho-adrenal precursor cells, and their deregulated ..
- Recombinase-mediated cassette exchange reveals the selective use of Gq/G11-dependent and -independent endothelin 1/endothelin type A receptor signaling in pharyngeal arch developmentTakahiro Sato
Department of Physiological Chemistry and Metabolism, Graduate School of Medicine, The University of Tokyo, 7 3 1 Hongo, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 0033, Japan
Development 135:755-65. 2008..This RMCE-mediated knock-in system can serve as a useful tool for studies on gene functions in craniofacial development...
- Progression of vertebrate limb development through SHH-mediated counteraction of GLI3Pascal te Welscher
Department of Developmental Biology, Faculty of Biology, Utrecht University, Padualaan 8, NL 3584 CH Utrecht, Netherlands
Science 298:827-30. 2002..Our genetic analysis indicates that SHH signaling counteracts GLI3-mediated repression of key regulator genes, cell survival, and distal progression of limb bud development...
- Elimination of a long-range cis-regulatory module causes complete loss of limb-specific Shh expression and truncation of the mouse limbTomoko Sagai
Mammalian Genetics Laboratory, National Institute of Genetics, Yata 1111 Mishima, Shizuoka ken 411 8540, Japan
Development 132:797-803. 2005..These results suggest that the conserved intronic sequence evolved in a common ancestor of fishes and tetrapods to control fin and limb development...
- Regionalized Twist1 activity in the forelimb bud drives the morphogenesis of the proximal and preaxial skeletonDavid A F Loebel
Embryology Unit, Children s Medical Research Institute, Sydney, Australia
Dev Biol 362:132-40. 2012....
- Islet1 regulates establishment of the posterior hindlimb field upstream of the Hand2-Shh morphoregulatory gene network in mouse embryosJunji Itou
Department of Genetics, Cell Biology and Development, University of Minnesota, 321 Church ST SE Minneapolis, MN 55455, USA
Development 139:1620-9. 2012..Specifically, HAND2 has been shown to regulate Shh directly to initiate its expression in the posterior margin of the limb mesenchyme...
- MesP1 is expressed in the heart precursor cells and required for the formation of a single heart tubeY Saga
Cellular and Molecular Toxicology Division, National Institute of Health Sciences, Setagaya Ku, Tokyo 158, Japan
Development 126:3437-47. 1999..These results strongly suggest that MesP1 is expressed in the heart tube precursor cells and is required for mesodermal cells to depart from the primitive streak and to generate a single heart tube...
- Conservation of sequence and expression of Xenopus and zebrafish dHAND during cardiac, branchial arch and lateral mesoderm developmentS Angelo
Department of Pediatrics, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, 6000 Harry Hines Blvd, Dallas, TX 75235 9148, USA
Mech Dev 95:231-7. 2000b>dHAND and eHAND are related basic helix-loop-helix transcription factors that are expressed in the cardiac mesoderm and in numerous neural crest-derived cell types in chick and mouse...
- The basic helix-loop-helix transcription factors dHAND and eHAND exhibit dimerization characteristics that suggest complex regulation of functionB A Firulli
Department of Physiology, The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, San Antonio, Texas 78229 3900, USA
J Biol Chem 275:33567-73. 2000b>dHAND and eHAND are basic helix-loop-helix (bHLH) transcription factors expressed during embryogenesis and are required for the proper development of cardiac and extraembryonic tissues...
- Bop encodes a muscle-restricted protein containing MYND and SET domains and is essential for cardiac differentiation and morphogenesisPaul D Gottlieb
Section of Molecular Genetics and Microbiology and Institute for Cellular and Molecular Biology, University of Texas at Austin, Austin, Texas 78712, USA
Nat Genet 31:25-32. 2002..Normal expression of Hand2, a transcription factor essential for right ventricular development, in cardiomyocyte precursors is dependent upon ..
- The Polycomb-group gene Rae28 sustains Nkx2.5/Csx expression and is essential for cardiac morphogenesisManabu Shirai
Department of Developmental Biology and Medicine, Osaka Medical Center for Cancer and Cardiovascular Diseases, Higashinari, Japan
J Clin Invest 110:177-84. 2002..5 expression in cardiomyocytes. Thus, our data show that a mammalian PcG gene can play a key role in organogenesis by helping to maintain the expression of a selector gene...
- Targeted deletion of a branchial arch-specific enhancer reveals a role of dHAND in craniofacial developmentHiromi Yanagisawa
Department of Molecular Biology, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas, TX 75390 9148, USA
Development 130:1069-78. 2003The basic helix-loop-helix transcription factor dHAND is expressed in the mesenchyme of branchial arches and the developing heart...
- dHAND-Cre transgenic mice reveal specific potential functions of dHAND during craniofacial developmentLouis Bruno Ruest
Department of Molecular, Cellular, and Craniofacial Biology, University of Louisville, Louisville, KY 40292, USA
Dev Biol 257:263-77. 2003..The basic helix-loop-helix transcription factor dHAND/HAND2 is expressed throughout much of the neural crest-derived mesenchyme of the pharyngeal arches, suggesting ..
- Regulation of retinoic acid distribution is required for proximodistal patterning and outgrowth of the developing mouse limbKenta Yashiro
Developmental Genetics Group, Graduate School of Frontier Biosciences, Osaka University, Suita, Japan
Dev Cell 6:411-22. 2004..These observations suggest that RA acts as a morphogen to determine proximodistal identity, and that CYP26B1 prevents apoptosis and promotes chondrocyte maturation, in the developing limb...
- Mouse hesr1 and hesr2 genes are redundantly required to mediate Notch signaling in the developing cardiovascular systemHiroki Kokubo
Division of Mammalian Development, National Institute of Genetics, Mishima, Shizuoka, Japan
Dev Biol 278:301-9. 2005..Taken together, our results demonstrate a requirement for hesr1 and hesr2 in mediating Notch signaling in the developing cardiac and vascular systems...
- Congenital heart defects in Fgfr2-IIIb and Fgf10 mutant miceAnita Marguerie
Cancer Research UK, London Research Institute, 61 Lincoln s Inn Fields, London WC2A 3PX, UK
Cardiovasc Res 71:50-60. 2006..In order to define the role of fibroblast growth factor (FGF) signaling in this process we investigated whether Fgf10 or the major Fgf10 receptor Fgfr2-IIIb are required for normal heart development...
- Bapx1 homeobox gene gain-of-function mice show preaxial polydactyly and activated Shh signaling in the developing limbCarla Tribioli
Institute of Molecular Genetics, CNR, Pavia, Italy
Dev Dyn 235:2483-92. 2006..We conclude that it is reasonable to expect overexpression of Bapx1 in certain forms of polydactyly...
- Hand transcription factors cooperatively regulate development of the distal midline mesenchymeAna C Barbosa
Department of Molecular Biology, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX 75390 9148, USA
Dev Biol 310:154-68. 2007..Hand1 is expressed in the distal (ventral) zone of the branchial arches, whereas the Hand2 expression domain extends ventrolaterally to occupy two-thirds of the mandibular arch...
- Elucidating timing and function of endothelin-A receptor signaling during craniofacial development using neural crest cell-specific gene deletion and receptor antagonismLouis Bruno Ruest
Department of Craniofacial Biology, University of Colorado Denver, Aurora, CO 80045, USA
Dev Biol 328:94-108. 2009..strategy in which mice containing a conditionally targeted Ednra allele (Ednra(fl)) were bred with mice from the Hand2-Cre and Wnt1-Cre transgenic mouse strains, two strains in which Cre expression occurs at different time periods ..
- Primary cilia regulate Shh activity in the control of molar tooth numberAtsushi Ohazama
Department of Craniofacial Development, Dental Institute, King s College London, London SE1 9RT, UK
Development 136:897-903. 2009..Strikingly, the ectopic teeth adopt a size and shape characteristic of premolars, a tooth type that was lost in mice around 50-100 million years ago...
- Targeted deletion of Hand2 in cardiac neural crest-derived cells influences cardiac gene expression and outflow tract developmentKristen L Holler
Department of Neurosciences and Program in Neurosciences and Degenerative Disease, Health Sciences Campus, University of Toledo, 3000 Arlington Ave, Toledo, OH 43614 1007, USA
Dev Biol 341:291-304. 2010The basic helix-loop-helix DNA binding protein Hand2 has critical functions in cardiac development both in neural crest-derived and mesoderm-derived structures...
- Nrf2 protects against pulmonary fibrosis by regulating the lung oxidant level and Th1/Th2 balanceNorihiro Kikuchi
Department of Respiratory Medicine, Graduate School of Comprehensive Human Sciences, University of Tsukuba, Tsukuba, Japan
Respir Res 11:31. 2010..Although the precise mechanisms of pulmonary fibrosis are not fully understood, oxidant/antioxidant and Th1/Th2 balances may play an important role in many of the processes of inflammation and fibrosis...
- Preaxial polydactyly: interactions among ETV, TWIST1 and HAND2 control anterior-posterior patterning of the limbZhen Zhang
Laboratory of Genetics, University of Wisconsin Madison, Madison, WI 53706, USA
Development 137:3417-26. 2010..studies have shown that TWIST1 functions by forming homodimers or heterodimers with other bHLH factors including HAND2, a key positive regulator of Shh expression...
- Nucleoredoxin sustains Wnt/β-catenin signaling by retaining a pool of inactive dishevelled proteinYosuke Funato
Laboratory of Intracellular Signaling, Institute for Protein Research, Osaka University, Suita, Osaka 565 0871, Japan
Curr Biol 20:1945-52. 2010..These findings reveal an unexpected function of NRX, retaining a pool of inactive Dvl for robust activation of Wnt/β-catenin signaling upon Wnt stimulation...
- Ripply3, a Tbx1 repressor, is required for development of the pharyngeal apparatus and its derivatives in miceTadashi Okubo
Okazaki Institute for Integrative Bioscience, National Institutes of Natural Sciences, Okazaki, Aichi 444 8787, Japan
Development 138:339-48. 2011..Together, our results show that Ripply3 plays a role in pharyngeal development, probably by regulating Tbx1 activity...
- Phosphorylation of the Twist1-family basic helix-loop-helix transcription factors is involved in pathological cardiac remodelingShuangshuang Lu
The Ministry of Education Key Laboratory of Model Animal for Disease Study, Model Animal Research Center, Nanjing University, Nanjing, China
PLoS ONE 6:e19251. 2011The Twist1-family basic helix-loop-helix (bHLH) transcription factors including Twist1, Hand1 and Hand2, play an essential role in heart development and are implicated in pathological heart remodeling...
- Abrogation of the Cripto gene in mouse leads to failure of postgastrulation morphogenesis and lack of differentiation of cardiomyocytesC Xu
The Burnham Institute, La Jolla Cancer Research Center, N Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Development 126:483-94. 1999..Therefore, lethality in the absence of Cr1, likely resulted largely from defective precardiac mesoderm that was unable to differentiate into functional cardiomyocytes...
- Cardiac expression of the ventricle-specific homeobox gene Irx4 is modulated by Nkx2-5 and dHandB G Bruneau
Department of Genetics, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, 02115, USA
Dev Biol 217:266-77. 2000..b>dHand-null embryos initiate Irx4 expression, but cannot maintain normal levels...
- Suppression of atrial myosin gene expression occurs independently in the left and right ventricles of the developing mouse heartP S Zammit
CNRS URA 1947, Departement de Biologie Moleculaire, Institut Pasteur, Paris, France
Dev Dyn 217:75-85. 2000..b>dHAND and eHAND, basic helix-loop-helix transcription factors known to be expressed in the right and left ventricles ..
- The bHLH class protein pMesogenin1 can specify paraxial mesoderm phenotypesJ K Yoon
Division of Biology, 156 29, California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, California, 91125, USA
Dev Biol 222:376-91. 2000....
- FOG-2, a cofactor for GATA transcription factors, is essential for heart morphogenesis and development of coronary vessels from epicardiumS G Tevosian
Division of Hematology Oncology, Children s Hospital and Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Cell 101:729-39. 2000..Our findings provide the molecular inroad into the induction of coronary vasculature by myocardium in the developing heart...
- Embryonic retinoic acid synthesis is essential for heart morphogenesis in the mouseK Niederreither
Institut de Genetique et de Biologie Moleculaire et Cellulaire, CNRS INSERM ULP College de France, 67404 Illkirch Cedex, CU de Strasbourg, France
Development 128:1019-31. 2001..However, cardiac neural crest cells cannot be properly rescued in Raldh2(-/- )embryos, leading to outflow tract septation defects...
- Identification and characterization of Lbh, a novel conserved nuclear protein expressed during early limb and heart developmentK J Briegel
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, New York University School of Medicine, New York, New York 10016, USA
Dev Biol 233:291-304. 2001..During heart formation, Lbh is expressed as early as Nkx2.5 and dHand in the bilateral heart primordia, with the highest levels in the anterior promyocardium...
- TRANSCRIPTION FACTORS INVOLVED IN HEART DEVELOPMENTAnthony B Firulli; Fiscal Year: 2010..Hand1 and Hand2 are evolutionary conserved basic Helix-Loop-Helix (bHLH) transcription factors that exhibit partially overlapping ..