Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Glo1
Description: glyoxalase 1
Alias: 0610009E22Rik, 1110008E19Rik, 2510049H23Rik, AW550643, GLY1, Glo-1, Glo-1r, Glo-1s, Glo1-r, Glo1-s, Qglo, lactoylglutathione lyase, S-D-lactoylglutathione methylglyoxal lyase, aldoketomutase, glx I, glyoxalase 1 complex, glyoxalase 1 regulatory, glyoxalase 1 structural, glyoxalase I, ketone-aldehyde mutase, methylglyoxalase
- Genetic control of the quantitative variation of erythrocytic glyoxalase-1(GLO-1) in miceP Rubinstein
Biochem Genet 20:153-63. 1982
- Mouse mitochondrial superoxide dismutase locus is on chromosome 17J M Szymura
Immunogenetics 14:231-40. 1981..Since a similar locus in the human is linked to HLA, the human major histocompatibility complex, extensive homology must exist between the mouse and human MHC-bearing chromosomes...
- Characterisation of glyoxalase I in a streptozocin-induced mouse model of diabetes with painful and insensate neuropathyM M Jack
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, University of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas City, KS 66160, USA
Diabetologia 54:2174-82. 2011..The enzyme glyoxalase I (GLO1) detoxifies reactive dicarbonyls that form AGEs and may affect the way sensory neurons respond to ..
- Identification of glyoxalase-I as a protein marker in a mouse model of extremes in trait anxietySimone A Krömer
Max Planck Institute of Psychiatry, D 80804 Munich, Germany
J Neurosci 25:4375-84. 2005..Additional studies will examine whether glyoxalase-I has an impact beyond that of a biomarker to predict the genetic predisposition to anxiety- and depression-like behavior...
- Glyoxalase 1 and glutathione reductase 1 regulate anxiety in miceIiris Hovatta
The Salk Institute for Biological Studies, Laboratory of Genetics, 10010 North Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla, California 92037, USA
Nature 438:662-6. 2005..Both of these genes are involved in oxidative stress metabolism, linking this pathway with anxiety-related behaviour...
- Quantitative trait loci for carbohydrate and total energy intake on mouse chromosome 17: congenic strain confirmation and candidate gene analyses (Glo1, Glp1r)K Ganesh Kumar
Division of Experimental Obesity, Pennington Biomedical Research Center, Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, LA 70808 4124, USA
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 292:R207-16. 2007..Positional gene candidates with relevance to carbohydrate metabolism, glyoxalase I (Glo1) and glucagon-like peptide-1 receptor (Glp1r), were evaluated...
- Glyoxalase I polymorphism in the mouse: a new genetic marker linked to H-2T Meo
Science 198:311-3. 1977Two electrophoretically distinct variants of glyoxalase I (Glo-I) are present in mouse (Mus musculus). The two forms are controlled by two codominant alleles Glo-1a (common) and Glo-1b (rare) at an autosomal locus...
- High glucose increases angiopoietin-2 transcription in microvascular endothelial cells through methylglyoxal modification of mSin3ADachun Yao
Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation International Center for Diabetic Complications Research, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, New York 10461, USA
J Biol Chem 282:31038-45. 2007..This novel mechanism for regulating gene expression may play a role in the pathobiology of diabetic vascular disease...
- A common and unstable copy number variant is associated with differences in Glo1 expression and anxiety-like behaviorRichard Williams
Committee on Computational Neuroscience, University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois, United States of America
PLoS ONE 4:e4649. 2009Glyoxalase 1 (Glo1) has been implicated in anxiety-like behavior in mice and in multiple psychiatric diseases in humans...
- Hyperglycemia impairs proteasome function by methylglyoxalMarkus A Queisser
School of Medicine, Institute of Biochemistry, Justus Liebig University, Giessen, Germany
Diabetes 59:670-8. 2010..In this study, the influence of MGO-derived advanced glycation end product (AGE) formation on the activity of the proteasome was investigated in vitro and in vivo...
- Increased glyoxalase I levels inhibit accumulation of oxidative stress and an advanced glycation end product in mouse mesangial cells cultured in high glucoseKi Mo Kim
Diabetic Complications Research Center, Division of Traditional Korean Medicine TKM Integrated Research, Korea Institute of Oriental Medicine KIOM, 483 Exporo, Yuseong Gu, Daejeon 305 811, South Korea
Exp Cell Res 318:152-9. 2012..These results suggest that GLO-1 plays a role in high glucose-mediated signaling by reducing MG accumulation and oxidative stress in diabetes mellitus...
- Glyoxalase 1 increases anxiety by reducing GABAA receptor agonist methylglyoxalMargaret G Distler
Department of Pathology, University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois 60637, USA
J Clin Invest 122:2306-15. 2012Glyoxalase 1 (Glo1) expression has previously been associated with anxiety in mice; however, its role in anxiety is controversial, and the underlying mechanism is unknown...
- A Glyoxalase-1 Knockdown Does Not Have Major Short Term Effects on Energy Expenditure and Atherosclerosis in MiceMarkus Wortmann
Department of Vascular and Endovascular Surgery, University of Heidelberg, 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
J Diabetes Res 2016:2981639. 2016..Yet, the role of Glo1 in atherosclerosis remains unclear...
- Aging-dependent reduction in glyoxalase 1 delays wound healingThomas H Fleming
Department of Medicine I and Clinical Chemistry, University of Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany
Gerontology 59:427-37. 2013Methylglyoxal (MG), the major dicarbonyl substrate of the enzyme glyoxalase 1 (GLO1), is a reactive metabolite formed via glycolytic flux...
- QTL analysis of dietary obesity in C57BL/6byj X 129P3/J F2 mice: diet- and sex-dependent effectsCailu Lin
Monell Chemical Senses Center, Philadelphia Pennsylvania, USA
PLoS ONE 8:e68776. 2013..of filtering methods highlighted seven candidate genes within the QTL locus boundaries: Crx, Dmpk, Ahr, Mrpl28, Glo1, Tubb5, and Mut...
- Increased glyoxalase-1 levels in Fkbp5 knockout mice caused by glyoxalase-1 gene duplicationLorenz K Kollmannsberger
Max Planck Institute of Psychiatry, 80804 Munich, Germany
G3 (Bethesda) 3:1311-3. 2013..We found that these mice carry a gene duplication of glyoxylase-1, which explains why glyoxylase-1 levels are increased in the Fkbp5 knockout mice. ..
- Structural basis for 18-β-glycyrrhetinic acid as a novel non-GSH analog glyoxalase I inhibitorHong Zhang
School of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Centre for Cellular and Structural Biology of Sun Yat sen University, Guangzhou 510006, China
Acta Pharmacol Sin 36:1145-50. 2015b>Glyoxalase I (GLOI), a glutathione (GSH)-dependent enzyme, is overexpressed in tumor cells and related to multi-drug resistance in chemotherapy, making GLOI inhibitors as potential anti-tumor agents...
- Knockdown of glyoxalase 1 mimics diabetic nephropathy in nondiabetic miceFerdinando Giacco
Diabetes Research Center, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, NY
Diabetes 63:291-9. 2014..Overexpression of the enzyme glyoxalase 1 (Glo1), which prevents posttranslational modification of proteins by the glycolysis-derived α-oxoaldehyde, methylglyoxal ..
- Tat-glyoxalase protein inhibits against ischemic neuronal cell damage and ameliorates ischemic injuryMin Jea Shin
Department of Biomedical Sciences and Research Institute of Bioscience and Biotechnology, Hallym University, Chunchon 200 702, Korea
Free Radic Biol Med 67:195-210. 2014..Therefore, we investigated the protective effect of GLO (GLO1 and GLO2) in neuronal cells and an animal ischemia model using Tat-GLO proteins...
- An eIF4E1/4E-T complex determines the genesis of neurons from precursors by translationally repressing a proneurogenic transcription programGuang Yang
Program in Neuroscience and Mental Health, Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, ON M5G 1L7, Canada
Neuron 84:723-39. 2014..Thus, neural precursors are transcriptionally primed to generate neurons, but an eIF4E/4E-T complex sequesters and represses translation of proneurogenic proteins to determine appropriate neurogenesis...
- Integrated genomic and functional analyses reveal glyoxalase I as a novel metabolic oncogene in human gastric cancerF Hosoda
Division of Cancer Genomics, National Cancer Center Research Institute, Tokyo, Japan
Oncogene 34:1196-206. 2015..Among these six candidates, GLO1, encoding a detoxifying enzyme glyoxalase I (GLO1), exhibited the strongest tumor-forming activity...
- Role of the glyoxalase system in astrocyte-mediated neuroprotectionMireille Belanger
Laboratory of Neuroenergetics and Cellular Dynamics, Brain Mind Institute, Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne, CH 1015 Lausanne, Switzerland
J Neurosci 31:18338-52. 2011..Accordingly, the neuroenergetic specialization taking place between these two cell types may serve as a protective mechanism against MG-induced neurotoxicity...
- Tumor necrosis factor-induced modulation of glyoxalase I activities through phosphorylation by PKA results in cell death and is accompanied by the formation of a specific methylglyoxal-derived AGEFranky Van Herreweghe
Department of Medical Protein Research, Ghent University and Flanders Interuniversity Institute for Biotechnology, K L Ledeganckstraat 35, B 9000 Ghent, Belgium
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99:949-54. 2002..Here we report that TNF induces an increased phosphorylation of glyoxalase I that is mediated by protein kinase A and required for cell death...
- Murine candidate bleomycin induced pulmonary fibrosis susceptibility genes identified by gene expression and sequence analysis of linkage regionsC K Haston
Meakins Christie Laboratories, Department of Medicine, McGill Centre for Bioinformatics, McGill University, Montreal, Canada
J Med Genet 42:464-73. 2005..In a prior study, susceptibility to bleomycin induced pulmonary fibrosis was mapped to loci Blmpf1 and Blmpf2 on chromosomes 17 and 11, respectively, in a C57BL/6J (B6, susceptible) and C3Hf/KAM (C3H, resistant) mouse cross...
- Upregulation of glyoxalase I fails to normalize methylglyoxal levels: a possible mechanism for biochemical changes in diabetic mouse lensesMagdalena M Staniszewska
Department of Ophthalmology, Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
Mol Cell Biochem 288:29-36. 2006b>Glyoxalase I is the first enzyme in a two-enzyme glyoxalase system that metabolizes physiological methylglyoxal (MGO)...
- Cd14, Gbp1, and Pla2g2a: three major candidate genes for experimental IBD identified by combining QTL and microarray analysesMaike F de Buhr
Central Animal Facility, Institute for Laboratory Animal Science, Hannover Medical School, Hannover, Germany
Physiol Genomics 25:426-34. 2006..In conclusion, the large number of candidate genes was reduced to three major candidates that play an important role in inflammatory processes and immune response. Strain differences for them are already known or are shown in this study...
- Fine mapping of collagen-induced arthritis quantitative trait loci in an advanced intercross lineXinhua Yu
Immunogenetics Group, University of Rostock, Rostock, Germany
J Immunol 177:7042-9. 2006..In addition, this study revealed that Cia27 and Trmq3 controlling anti-CII IgG2a Ab and CD4:CD8 T cell ratio, respectively, also regulated CIA clinical phenotypes...
- Proteomic analysis defines altered cellular redox pathways and advanced glycation end-product metabolism in glomeruli of db/db diabetic miceMichelle T Barati
Department of Medicine, University of Louisville, Louisville, Kentucky 40202, USA
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 293:F1157-65. 2007..However, activity of glutathione peroxidase and SOD was unaltered in glomeruli of diabetic mice. Expression of glyoxalase I was increased in glomeruli of diabetic mice...
- Ethyl pyruvate and ethyl lactate down-regulate the production of pro-inflammatory cytokines and modulate expression of immune receptorsMarcus Hollenbach
University of Leipzig, Institute of Biochemistry, Johannisallee 30, 04103 Leipzig, Germany
Biochem Pharmacol 76:631-44. 2008..In vitro enzyme activity measurements revealed the inhibition of human Glo1 by alpha-oxo-carbonic acid esters, whilst alpha-hydroxy-carbonic acid esters such as EL were not inhibitory...
- The identification of an osteoclastogenesis inhibitor through the inhibition of glyoxalase IMakoto Kawatani
Antibiotics Laboratory, Chemical Biology Department, and Biomolecular Characterization Team, Advanced Technology Support Division, Advanced Science Institute, RIKEN, 2 1 Hirosawa, Wako Shi, Saitama 351 0198, Japan
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105:11691-6. 2008..By using M-GFN-immobilized beads, glyoxalase I (GLO1) was identified as an M-GFN-binding protein...
- Glyoxalase-I is a novel target against Bcr-Abl+ leukemic cells acquiring stem-like characteristics in a hypoxic environmentM Takeuchi
Department of Transfusion Medicine and Cell Therapy, Kyoto University Hospital, Kyoto, Japan
Cell Death Differ 17:1211-20. 2010....
- Alpha-synuclein deficiency leads to increased glyoxalase I expression and glycation stressAlexander Kurz
Department of Neurology, Section Molecular Neurogenetics, Goethe University Medical School, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Cell Mol Life Sci 68:721-33. 2011..of knock-out mice at different ages with regard to consistent upregulations of the transcriptome and focused on glyoxalase I (GLO1). The microarray data were confirmed in qPCR, immunoblot, enzyme activity, and behavior analyses...
- Novel role of RGS2 in regulation of antioxidant homeostasis in neuronal cellsSamina Salim
Department of Pharmacological and Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Houston, Houston, Texas, USA
FEBS Lett 585:1375-81. 2011..Our study is the first to suggest role of RGS2 in regulation of enzymes involved in antioxidant defense namely glyoxalase-1 and glutathione reductase-1 via activation of p38 MAPK and PKC pathways in an Sp-1 dependent manner...
- The locus controlling liver GM1(NeuGc) expression is mapped 1 cM centromeric to H-2KM Sakaizumi
Tokyo Metropolitan Institute of Medical Science, Japan
Immunogenetics 27:57-60. 1988..Ggm-1 was mapped 1 cM centromeric to H-2K on chromosome 17...
- Assignment of a Mus musculus gene for triosephosphate isomerase to chromosome 6 and for glyoxalase-I to chromosome 17 using somatic cell hybridsJ D Minna
Somatic Cell Genet 4:241-52. 1978..This finding adds to the number of autosomal gene pairs which are syntenic in both mouse and man and reinforces the belief that there is considerable conservation. of linkage groups during evolution...
- Assignment of the gene for glyoxylase I to mouse chromosome 17 by somatic cell geneticsL Leinwand
Biochem Genet 16:659-66. 1978..The presence of chromosome 17 and expression of GLO I were concordant in 31/31 clones. GLO I is thus linked to the H-2 histocompatibility locus in the mouse...
- Conservation of autosomal gene synteny groups in mouse and manP A Lalley
Nature 274:160-3. 1978
- Chromosomal localization of the murine gene and two related sequences encoding high-mobility-group I and Y proteinsK R Johnson
Jackson Laboratory, Bar Harbor, Maine 04609
Genomics 12:503-9. 1992..Hmgi genes have not been previously mapped in any species, but the location of the probable functional gene on murine Chromosome 17 suggests that the homologous gene in humans is located on Chromosome 6...
- Assignment of the homolog of the MAS1 oncogene to mouse chromosome 17M R Al-Ubaidi
Department of Ophthalmology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030
Genomics 13:487. 1992
- Genetic maps of mouse chromosome 17 including 12 new anonymous DNA loci and 25 anchor lociJ H Nadeau
Jackson Laboratory, Bar Harbor, Maine 04609
Genomics 9:78-89. 1991....
- Localization of a mouse heat shock Hsp70 gene within the H-2 complexH R Gaskins
Jackson Laboratory, Bar Harbor, ME 04609
Immunogenetics 32:286-9. 1990
- The rat MHC and cystathionine beta-synthase gene are syntenic on chromosome 20J Locker
University of Pittsburgh, School of Medicine, Department of Pathology, PA 15261
Immunogenetics 31:271-4. 1990
- Comparative mapping of DNA markers from the familial Alzheimer disease and Down syndrome regions of human chromosome 21 to mouse chromosomes 16 and 17S V Cheng
Neurogenetics Laboratory, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 85:6032-6. 1988..The break in synteny between the terminal portion of human chromosome 21 and mouse chromosome 16 indicates, however, that mouse trisomy 16 may not represent a complete model of DS...
- Chromosomal localization of genes encoding guanine nucleotide-binding protein subunits in mouse and humanC Blatt
Weizmann Institute, Rehovoth, Israel
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 85:7642-6. 1988..These mapping assignments will be useful in defining the extent of the G alpha gene family and may help in attempts to correlate specific genetic diseases with genes corresponding to G proteins...
- Genetic mapping of Pim-1 putative oncogene to mouse chromosome 17J Hilkens
Somat Cell Mol Genet 12:81-8. 1986..The Pim-1 gene was localized on chromosome 17, a chromosome frequently aberrant in T-cell lymphomas. Two chromosomal regions, containing sequences homologous to regions within the Pim-1 locus, were localized on chromosome 6 and 16...
- Chromosomal localization of muscle nicotinic acetylcholine receptor genes in the mouseO Heidmann
Science 234:866-8. 1986....
- The location of the C3 and GLO (glyoxalase 1) loci of the IXth linkage group in miceP Rubinstein
J Immunol 122:2584-9. 1979
- A glyoxalase-1 variant associated with the t-complex in house miceJ H Nadeau
Genetics 113:91-9. 1986..Thus, this variant of Glo-1c provides both a further example of gametic disequilibrium between the t-complex and linked loci and a readily identifiable marker for the t-complex...
- Electrophoretic analysis of liver neuraminidase-1 variation in mice and additional evidence concerning the location of NEU-1P B Samollow
J Immunogenet 13:29-39. 1986..Recombination rates among six H-2-linked marker loci were unexpectedly low, but were sufficient to verify the position of Upg-1 as the telomeric flanking marker relative to Glo-1, H-2 (C4), Neu-1 (Apl), Ce-2 and Pgk-2...
- Mouse alpha-globin genes and alpha-globin-like pseudogenes are not syntenicR A Popp
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 78:6362-6. 1981..These data explain why alpha-3 and alpha-4 were not affected by the three independently induced deletion-type mutations that cause alpha-thalassemia in the mouse...
- Genetic mapping in mammals: chromosome map of domestic catS J O'Brien
Science 216:257-65. 1982..Many of these same linkage groups have not been conserved in the murine genome. The genetic and evolutionary implications of comparative mapping analysis among mammalian species are discussed...
- Mouse gene for neuraminidase activity (Neu-1) maps to the D end of H-2J E Womack
Immunogenetics 16:177-80. 1982
- Confirmational, provisional, and/or regional assignment of 15 enzyme loci onto Chinese hamster autosomes 1, 2, and 7R L Stallings
Somatic Cell Genet 7:683-98. 1981..The assignments provide markers for the study of the genetic consequences of chromosomal rearrangements in Chinese hamster cell lines and support the concept of conservation of mammalian autosomal linkage groups...
- Assignment of the gene for cytoplasmic glutamate-oxaloacetate transaminase to mouse chromosome 19 using chinese hamster x mouse somatic cell hybridsR Schafer
Somatic Cell Genet 6:709-17. 1980..The appearance of a heteropolymeric band in hybrid cells expressing mouse GOT-1 suggests that this enzyme molecule is probably composed of two subunits...
- A closely linked complex of mouse mast cell-specific chymase genes on chromosome 14M F Gurish
Department of Medicine, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115
J Biol Chem 268:11372-9. 1993....
- H-2 haplotypes, genes, and antigens: second listing. I. Non-H-2 loci on chromosome 17J Klein
Immunogenetics 16:285-317. 1982
- Linkage map of mouse chromosome 17: localization of 27 new DNA markersV Vincek
Max Planck Institut fur Biologie, Abteilung Immungenetik, Tubingen, Federal Republic of Germany
Genomics 5:773-86. 1989..The distal region of MMU17, on the other hand, is populated by only a few, rather imprecisely mapped markers. Molecular maps are available for most of the H-2 complex and for parts of the t complex...
- Strain distribution pattern for SSLP markers in the SWXJ recombinant inbred strain set: chromosomes 7 to XK L Shultz
Jackson Laboratory, 600 Main Street, Bar Harbor, Maine 04609, USA
Mamm Genome 7:526-32. 1996..Combined with the 165 loci for Chr 1-6 reported previously (Svenson et al., Mamm. Genome 6, 867, 1995), the SWXJ RI set represents a powerful tool for mapping genes in neoplastic as well as other heritable disorders...
- Neuronal ceroid lipofuscinosis (nclf), a new disorder of the mouse linked to chromosome 9R T Bronson
The Jackson Laboratory, Bar Harbor, Maine, USA
Am J Med Genet 77:289-97. 1998....