Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Ghsr
Description: growth hormone secretagogue receptor
Alias: C530020I22Rik, Ghsr1a, growth hormone secretagogue receptor type 1, G-protein coupled receptor, GH-releasing peptide receptor, GHRP, GHS-R, ghrelin receptor
- Ablations of ghrelin and ghrelin receptor exhibit differential metabolic phenotypes and thermogenic capacity during agingXiaojun Ma
Division of Endocrinology, Department of Internal Medicine, The First Affiliated Hospital of Zhengzhou University, Zhengzhou, China
PLoS ONE 6:e16391. 2011..Surprisingly, our previous studies showed that Ghrl(-/-) mice have impaired thermoregulatory responses to cold and fasting stresses, while Ghsr(-/-) mice are adaptive.
- The preproghrelin gene is required for the normal integration of thermoregulation and sleep in miceEva Szentirmai
Sleep and Performance Research Center, Department of Veterinary and Comparative Anatomy, Pharmacology, and Physiology, Washington State University, Pullman, WA 99164, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:14069-74. 2009..We report that mice lacking the preproghrelin gene, but not those lacking the ghrelin receptor, have impaired abilities to manifest and integrate normal sleep and thermoregulatory responses to metabolic ..
- Reduced anticipatory locomotor responses to scheduled meals in ghrelin receptor deficient miceI D Blum
Institute for Neuroscience, Department of Psychology, Carleton University, 1125 Colonel By Drive, Ottawa, ON, Canada K1S5B6
Neuroscience 164:351-9. 2009..test this hypothesis, we observed 24 h patterns of locomotor activity in mice with targeted mutations of the ghrelin receptor gene (GHSR KO) and wild-type littermates, all given access to food for 4 h daily for 14 days...
- Stomach ghrelin-secreting cells as food-entrainable circadian clocksJoseph LeSauter
Department of Psychology, Barnard College, 3009 Broadway, New York, NY 10027, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:13582-7. 2009..99) for both wild-type and ghrelin receptor knockout animals, with the latter having a smaller amplitude...
- Acylation type determines ghrelin's effects on energy homeostasis in rodentsKristy M Heppner
Metabolic Diseases Institute, Department of Medicine, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, Ohio 45237, USA
Endocrinology 153:4687-95. 2012Ghrelin is a gastrointestinal polypeptide that acts through the ghrelin receptor (GHSR) to promote food intake and increase adiposity...
- Acylated and unacylated ghrelin impair skeletal muscle atrophy in micePaolo E Porporato
Department of Translational Medicine, Interdisciplinary Research Center of Autoimmune Diseases IRCAD, and Biotechnology Center for Applied Medical Research BRMA, Università del Piemonte Orientale Amedeo Avogadro Alessandria, Novara, Vercelli, Italy
J Clin Invest 123:611-22. 2013..hormone that stimulates growth hormone (GH) release and positive energy balance through binding to the receptor GHSR-1a...
- Ghrelin induces abdominal obesity via GHS-R-dependent lipid retentionJeffrey S Davies
Cardiff University, Wales, United Kingdom
Mol Endocrinol 23:914-24. 2009..Our data imply that, during periods of energy insufficiency, exposure to acylated ghrelin may limit energy utilization in specific WAT depots by GHS-R(1a)-dependent lipid retention...
- Unacylated ghrelin rapidly modulates lipogenic and insulin signaling pathway gene expression in metabolically active tissues of GHSR deleted micePatric J D Delhanty
Department of Internal Medicine, Erasmus MC, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
PLoS ONE 5:e11749. 2010..There is increasing evidence that unacylated ghrelin (UAG) improves insulin sensitivity and glucose homeostasis; however, the mechanism for this activity is not fully understood since a UAG receptor has not been discovered...
- UCP2 mediates ghrelin's action on NPY/AgRP neurons by lowering free radicalsZane B Andrews
Section of Comparative Medicine, Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Sciences, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, New York, New York 10021, USA
Nature 454:846-51. 2008..These results reveal a signalling modality connecting mitochondria-mediated effects of G-protein-coupled receptors on neuronal function and associated behaviour...
- Role of ghrelin in the relationship between hyperphagia and accelerated gastric emptying in diabetic micePieter Jan Verhulst
Centre for Gastroenterological Research, Catholic University of Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
Gastroenterology 135:1267-76. 2008..We investigated the causative role of ghrelin herein by comparing changes in ghrelin receptor knockout (growth hormone secretagogue receptor [GHS-R](-/-)) and wild-type (GHS-R(+/+)) mice with STZ-induced ..
- Characterization of the insulin sensitivity of ghrelin receptor KO mice using glycemic clampsYong Qi
Elixir Pharmaceuticals, Inc, 12 Emily St, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA
BMC Physiol 11:1. 2011We and others have demonstrated previously that ghrelin receptor (GhrR) knock out (KO) mice fed a high fat diet (HFD) have increased insulin sensitivity and metabolic flexibility relative to WT littermates...
- Bitter taste receptors and α-gustducin regulate the secretion of ghrelin with functional effects on food intake and gastric emptyingSara Janssen
Department of Pathophysiology, Translational Research Center for Gastrointestinal Disorders, Catholic University of Leuven, 3000 Leuven, Belgium
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 108:2094-9. 2011..administration of T2R-agonists increased food intake during the first 30 min in WT but not in gust(-/-) and ghrelin receptor knockout mice...
- Simultaneous deletion of ghrelin and its receptor increases motor activity and energy expenditurePaul T Pfluger
Department of Psychiatry, Obesity Research Centre, Genome Research Institute, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, Cincinnati, OH 45237, USA
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 294:G610-8. 2008....
- Characterization of adult ghrelin and ghrelin receptor knockout mice under positive and negative energy balanceYuxiang Sun
Huffington Center on Aging, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Endocrinology 149:843-50. 2008Ghrelin and the ghrelin receptor (GH secretagogue receptor, GHS-R), are believed to have important roles in energy homeostasis...
- Ghrelin mediates stress-induced food-reward behavior in miceJen Chieh Chuang
Division of Hypothalamic Research, Department of Internal Medicine, The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas 75390 9077, USA
J Clin Invest 121:2684-92. 2011..Thus, this mouse model has allowed us to ascribe a role for ghrelin-engaged catecholaminergic neurons in stress-induced eating...
- Ghrelin and growth hormone secretagogue receptor expression in mice during agingYuxiang Sun
Huffington Center on Aging, Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, Baylor College of Medicine, One Baylor Plaza, M320, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Endocrinology 148:1323-9. 2007..The tissue distribution of Ghsr1a mRNA (ghrelin receptor) was also characterized, and pituitary and brain exhibited the highest levels of expression...
- Ablation of ghrelin receptor reduces adiposity and improves insulin sensitivity during aging by regulating fat metabolism in white and brown adipose tissuesLigen Lin
USDA ARS Children s Nutrition Research Center, Department of Pediatrics, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Aging Cell 10:996-1010. 2011..In this study, we show that ablation of the ghrelin receptor (growth hormone secretagogue receptor, GHS-R) improves insulin sensitivity during aging...
- Ghrelin modulates the activity and synaptic input organization of midbrain dopamine neurons while promoting appetiteAlfonso Abizaid
Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology, and Reproductive Sciences, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06519, USA
J Clin Invest 116:3229-39. 2006The gut hormone ghrelin targets the brain to promote food intake and adiposity. The ghrelin receptor growth hormone secretagogue 1 receptor (GHSR) is present in hypothalamic centers controlling energy metabolism as well as in the ventral ..
- Ghrelin amplifies dopamine signaling by cross talk involving formation of growth hormone secretagogue receptor/dopamine receptor subtype 1 heterodimersHong Jiang
Huffington Center of Aging, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Mol Endocrinol 20:1772-85. 2006..To identify neurons that express the ghrelin receptor [GH secretagogue receptor (GHS-R)], we generated GHS-R-IRES-tauGFP mice by gene targeting...
- Mutually opposite signal modulation by hypothalamic heterodimerization of ghrelin and melanocortin-3 receptorsAnne Rediger
Institute of Experimental Pediatric Endocrinology, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, 13353 Berlin, Germany
J Biol Chem 286:39623-31. 2011..The ghrelin (growth hormone secretagogue receptor (GHSR)) and melanocortin-3 (MC3R) receptors are both known to have orexigenic effects on the hypothalamic control of body ..
- Role of the AMP-activated protein kinase (AMPK) signaling pathway in the orexigenic effects of endogenous ghrelinP J Verhulst
Translational Research Center for Gastrointestinal Disorders, Catholic University of Leuven, Belgium
Regul Pept 173:27-35. 2012Ghrelin, released from the stomach, stimulates food intake through activation of the ghrelin receptor (GHS-R) located on neuropeptide Y (NPY)/agouti-related peptide (AgRP) neurons in the hypothalamus...
- Des-acyl ghrelin induces food intake by a mechanism independent of the growth hormone secretagogue receptorKoji Toshinai
Department of Internal Medicine, Miyazaki Medical College, University of Miyazaki, Japan
Endocrinology 147:2306-14. 2006..Central des-acyl ghrelin may activate orexin-expressing neurons, perhaps functioning in feeding regulation through interactions with a target protein distinct from the GHS-R...
- Mice lacking ghrelin receptors resist the development of diet-induced obesityJeffrey M Zigman
Department of Medicine, Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02215, USA
J Clin Invest 115:3564-72. 2005Ghrelin is the endogenous ligand for the growth hormone secretagogue receptor (GHSR; ghrelin receptor)...
- Ghrelin stimulation of growth hormone release and appetite is mediated through the growth hormone secretagogue receptorYuxiang Sun
Huffington Center on Aging, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101:4679-84. 2004..However, it had not been directly shown that the GHSR is a physiologically relevant ghrelin receptor. Furthermore, ghrelin's structure is significantly different from the synthetic agonist (MK-0677) used to ..
- Apo-ghrelin receptor forms heteromers with DRD2 in hypothalamic neurons and is essential for anorexigenic effects of DRD2 agonismAndras Kern
Department of Metabolism and Aging, The Scripps Research Institute Scripps Florida, Jupiter, FL 33458, USA
Neuron 73:317-32. 2012We identified subsets of neurons in the brain that coexpress the dopamine receptor subtype-2 (DRD2) and the ghrelin receptor (GHSR1a)...
- Orexigenic action of peripheral ghrelin is mediated by neuropeptide Y and agouti-related proteinH Y Chen
Department of Metabolic Disorders, Merck Research Laboratories, P O Box 2000, RY80T 150, Rahway, New Jersey 07065, USA
Endocrinology 145:2607-12. 2004..Our results establish an in vivo orexigenic function for NPY and AgRP, mediating the effect of ghrelin...
- The GOAT-ghrelin system is not essential for hypoglycemia prevention during prolonged calorie restrictionChun Xia Yi
Institute for Diabetes and Obesity, Helmholtz Centre Munich, Neuherberg, Germany
PLoS ONE 7:e32100. 2012..set of four different genetic loss-of-function models for the GOAT/ghrelin/growth hormone secretagogue receptor (GHSR) system, we thoroughly tested the hypothesis that lack-of-ghrelin activation or signaling would lead to ..
- Ghrelin contributes to derangements of glucose metabolism induced by rapamycin in miceG Xu
Department of Physiology and Pathophysiology, Peking University Health Science Center, No 38, Xueyuan Rd, Haidian District, Beijing 100191, People s Republic of China
Diabetologia 55:1813-23. 2012..Here, we investigated whether ghrelin contributes to derangements of glucose metabolism induced by rapamycin...
- Ablation of ghrelin receptor in leptin-deficient ob/ob mice has paradoxical effects on glucose homeostasis when compared with ablation of ghrelin in ob/ob miceXiaojun Ma
US Department of Agriculture Agricultural Research Service Children s Nutrition Research Center, Department of Pediatrics, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 303:E422-31. 2012..The physiologically relevant ghrelin receptor is the growth hormone secretagogue receptor (GHS-R), and GHS-R antagonists are thought to be an effective ..
- HDAC5-mTORC1 Interaction in Differential Regulation of Ghrelin and Nucleobindin 2 (NUCB2)/Nesfatin-1Liangxiao Ma
Department of Physiology and Pathophysiology L M, H T, Y Y, R Y, J Z, Y L, W Z, Peking University Health Science Center, Beijing 100191, China and Department of Surgery M M, W Z, University of Michigan Medical Center, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109 0346
Mol Endocrinol 29:1571-80. 2015..These findings reveal HDAC5-mTORC1 signaling as a novel mechanism in the differential regulation of gastric ghrelin and nesfatin-1. ..
- Constitutive and ghrelin-dependent GHSR1a activation impairs CaV2.1 and CaV2.2 currents in hypothalamic neuronsEduardo Javier López Soto
Laboratory of Electrophysiology and Laboratory of Neurophysiology, Multidisciplinary Institute of Cell Biology IMBICE, B1904CMA La Plata, Buenos Aires, Argentina
J Gen Physiol 146:205-19. 2015The growth hormone secretagogue receptor type 1a (GHSR1a) has the highest known constitutive activity of any G protein-coupled receptor (GPCR)...
- Assessing interactions between Ghsr and Mc3r reveals a role for AgRP in the expression of food anticipatory activity in male miceClémence Girardet
Departments of Metabolism and Aging C G, M M, R G S, A A B and Molecular Therapeutics M R S, The Scripps Research Institute, Jupiter, Florida 33458 and Department of Pharmacological and Physiological Science C G, M M, A A B, Saint Louis University, Saint Louis, Missouri 63104
Endocrinology 155:4843-55. 2014..the interaction between Ghsrs and Mc3rs, we compared food anticipatory responses in GhsrKO, Mc3rKO, and double Ghsr;Mc3r knockout (DKO) mice subjected to a hypocaloric restricted feeding (RF) protocol in constant dark or 12-hour ..
- Ghrelin promotes hepatic lipogenesis by activation of mTOR-PPARγ signaling pathwayZiru Li
Department of Physiology and Pathophysiology, Peking University Health Science Center, Beijing 100191, China and
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 111:13163-8. 2014..b>Ghrelin receptor antagonism or gene deletion significantly decreased obesity-associated hepatic steatosis by suppression of de ..
- Neuroanatomical characterization of a growth hormone secretagogue receptor-green fluorescent protein reporter mouseBharath K Mani
Division of Hypothalamic Research and Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Department of Internal Medicine and Department of Psychiatry, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas, 75390 9077
J Comp Neurol 522:3644-66. 2014Growth hormone secretagogue receptor (GHSR) 1a is the only molecularly identified receptor for ghrelin, mediating ghrelin-related effects on eating, body weight, and blood glucose control, among others...
- Ghrelin protects against renal damages induced by angiotensin-II via an antioxidative stress mechanism in miceKeiko Fujimura
Department of Internal Medicine, School of Medicine, Keio University, Tokyo, Japan
PLoS ONE 9:e94373. 2014..Finally, Ghrelin receptor, growth hormone secretagogue receptor (GHSR)-null mice exhibited an increase in tubular damages, renal ROS ..
- Ghrelin receptor-knockout mice display alterations in circadian rhythms of activity and feeding under constant lighting conditionsE Waddington Lamont
Department of Neuroscience, Carleton University, 1125 Colonel By Drive, Ottawa, ON, K1S 5B6, Canada Department of Psychology, Thompson Rivers University, Kamloops, BC, Canada
Eur J Neurosci 39:207-17. 2014..These results suggest that the ghrelin receptor plays a role in modulating the activity of the circadian system under normal conditions and under restricted ..
- Rikkunshito ameliorates bleomycin-induced acute lung injury in a ghrelin-independent mannerHironobu Tsubouchi
Division of Neurology, Respirology, Endocrinology and Metabolism, Dept of Internal Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Univ of Miyazaki, Kiyotake, Miyazaki 889 1692, Japan
Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 306:L233-45. 2014....
- Estradiol modulates Kiss1 neuronal response to ghrelinRenata Frazao
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Hypothalamic Research, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 306:E606-14. 2014..Here, we show that ghrelin receptor (GHSR) and estrogen receptor-α (ERα) are coexpressed in several hypothalamic sites...
- Ghrelin receptor expression and colocalization with anterior pituitary hormones using a GHSR-GFP mouse lineAlex Reichenbach
Department of Physiology, Monash University, Clayton, Victoria, Australia
Endocrinology 153:5452-66. 2012Ghrelin is the endogenous ligand for the GH secretagogue receptor (GHSR) and robustly stimulates GH release from the anterior pituitary gland...
- Effect of ghrelin on glucose regulation in miceShaji K Chacko
Department of Pediatrics, Baylor College of Medicine Children s Nutrition Research Center, United States Department of Agriculture Agricultural Research Service, Houston, TX, USA
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 302:E1055-62. 2012..measured in wild-type (WT), ghrelin knockout (ghrelin(-/-)), and growth hormone secretagogue receptor knockout (Ghsr(-/-)) mice in the postabsorptive state...
- Impaired wake-promoting mechanisms in ghrelin receptor-deficient miceMatthew Esposito
Washington, Wyoming, Alaska, Montana and Idaho WWAMI Medical Education Program, Washington State University, PO Box 1495, Spokane, WA 99210 1495, USA
Eur J Neurosci 35:233-43. 2012..To test this, we investigated the responsiveness of ghrelin receptor knockout (KO) mice to two natural wake-promoting stimuli...
- Early life overfeeding decreases acylated ghrelin circulating levels and upregulates GHSR1a signaling pathway in white adipose tissue of obese young miceVivian M Soares
Department of Physiology, State University of Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Regul Pept 174:6-11. 2012..In addition, in white adipose tissue ghrelin receptor (GHS-R1a) expression increased and was associated to positive modulation of content and phosphorylation of ..
- Down-regulation of ghrelin receptors in the small intestine delays small intestinal transit in vagotomized ratsCheng Guang Yang
Department of General Surgery, The Sixth Hospital Affiliated with Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Shanghai 200233, PR China
Mol Med Rep 4:1061-5. 2011..on small intestinal motility upon vagal nerve injury and the possible co-relationship between changes in ghrelin receptor expression in the small intestine and delayed small intestinal transit after vagotomy...
- Functional implications of limited leptin receptor and ghrelin receptor coexpression in the brainMario Perello
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Hypothalamic Research, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas 75390, USA
J Comp Neurol 520:281-94. 2012..Interestingly, both leptin receptor expression and ghrelin receptor expression have been observed within many of the same nuclei of the central nervous system (CNS), suggesting ..
- Ghrelin signaling in heart remodeling of adult obese miceGlauciane Lacerda-Miranda
Department of Physiology, Institute of Biology, State University of Rio de Janeiro, Avenue 28 de Setembro, 87 Fundos, 5 andar, Vila Isabel, Rio de Janeiro 20551 030, Brazil
Peptides 35:65-73. 2012..ventricle were analyzed by light microscopy and stereology, content and phosphorilation of cardiac proteins: ghrelin receptor (growth hormone secretagogue receptor 1a, GHSR-1a), protein kinase B (AKT and pAKT), phosphatidil inositol 3 ..
- Growth hormone secretagogue receptor (GHS-R1a) knockout mice exhibit improved spatial memory and deficits in contextual memoryRosie G Albarran-Zeckler
The Scripps Research Institute, Florida, Department of Metabolism and Aging, 130 Scripps Way, Jupiter, FL 33458, USA
Behav Brain Res 232:13-9. 2012..The ghrelin receptor (GHS-R1a) is co-expressed in neurons that express dopamine receptor type-1 (DRD1a) and type-2 (DRD2), and we ..
- Identification of neurons that express ghrelin receptors in autonomic pathways originating from the spinal cordJohn B Furness
Department of Anatomy and Neuroscience, University of Melbourne, Parkville, Victoria, Australia
Cell Tissue Res 348:397-405. 2012..by using mice expressing enhanced green fluorescent protein (EGFP) under the control of the promoter for the ghrelin receptor (also called growth hormone secretagogue receptor)...
- Ghrelin-deficient mice have fewer orexin cells and reduced cFOS expression in the mesolimbic dopamine pathway under a restricted feeding paradigmE W Lamont
Department of Neuroscience, Carleton University, 1125 Colonel By Drive, Ottawa, ON, Canada K1S 5B6 com
Neuroscience 218:12-9. 2012..could be mediated by elevated ghrelin induced by scheduled feeding, and therefore this would be attenuated in ghrelin receptor knock-out (GHSR KO) animals...
- Silencing of ghrelin receptor expression inhibits endometrial cancer cell growth in vitro and in vivoJenny N T Fung
School of Biomedical Sciences, University of Queensland, St Lucia, Queensland, Australia
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 305:E305-13. 2013..In the present study, we investigated the effect of ghrelin receptor, GHSR, and gene silencing in vitro and in vivo and characterized ghrelin and GHSR1a protein expression in ..
- Central ghrelin signaling mediates the metabolic response of C57BL/6 male mice to chronic social defeat stressZ R Patterson
Department of Neuroscience, Carleton University, 1125 Colonel By Drive, Ottawa, Ontario, K1S 5B6, Canada
Endocrinology 154:1080-91. 2013..ghrelin receptors (GHSR KO mice) or C57BL mice receiving chronic intracerebroventricular delivery of the ghrelin receptor antagonist [d-Lys(3)]-GHRP-6 show attenuated weight gain and feeding responses under the same social stress ..
- An age-dependent interaction with leptin unmasks ghrelin's bone-protective effectsMartijn van der Velde
Department of Internal Medicine, Erasmus University Medical Center s Gravendijkwal 230, 3015 CE Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Endocrinology 153:3593-602. 2012..Using ghrelin receptor and leptin-deficient mice, we show that ghrelin has dual effects on osteoclastogenesis, inhibiting osteoclast ..
- Ghrelin and cannabinoids require the ghrelin receptor to affect cellular energy metabolismChung Thong Lim
Centre for Endocrinology, William Harvey Research Institute, Barts and The London, London EC1M 6BQ, UK
Mol Cell Endocrinol 365:303-8. 2013....
- Hindbrain ghrelin receptor signaling is sufficient to maintain fasting glucoseMichael M Scott
Division of Hypothalamic Research, Department of Internal Medicine, The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas, Dallas, Texas, USA
PLoS ONE 7:e44089. 2012..Ghrelin promotes food intake, an action lost in ghrelin receptor null mice and also helps maintain fasting blood glucose levels, ensuring an adequate supply of nutrients to ..
- Disruption of cue-potentiated feeding in mice with blocked ghrelin signalingAngela K Walker
Department of Internal Medicine Divisions of Hypothalamic Research and of Endocrinology and Metabolism, The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX 75390 9077, United States
Physiol Behav 108:34-43. 2012..feeding protocol adapted for use in mice was designed and validated, and then the effects of pharmacologic ghrelin receptor (GHSR) antagonism and GHSR transcriptional blockade (as occurs in GHSR-null mice) were assessed...
- Impact of food restriction and cocaine on locomotion in ghrelin- and ghrelin-receptor knockout miceShane Clifford
Behavioral Neuroscience Program, Department of Psychology, Texas A and M University, College Station, TX, USA
Addict Biol 16:386-92. 2011....
- Axin expression in thymic stromal cells contributes to an age-related increase in thymic adiposity and is associated with reduced thymopoiesis independently of ghrelin signalingHyunwon Yang
Laboratory of Neuroendocrine Immunology, Pennington Biomedical Research Center, Louisiana State University System, Baton Rouge, Louisiana, USA
J Leukoc Biol 85:928-38. 2009..Our data are consistent with the hypothesis that blocking the specific proadipogenic signals in the thymus may complement the present approaches to rejuvenate thymic function during aging...
- Physiological studies of transgenic mice overexpressing growth hormone (GH) secretagogue receptor 1A in GH-releasing hormone neuronsSabrina Lall
Division of Molecular Neuroendocrinology, National Institute for Medical Research, London, United Kingdom
Endocrinology 145:1602-11. 2004The type 1A GH secretagogue (GHS) receptor (GHSR) has been proposed to mediate the effects of ghrelin on GH release, food intake, and body composition...
- Ghrelin controls hippocampal spine synapse density and memory performanceSabrina Diano
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology and Reproductive Sciences, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06520, USA
Nat Neurosci 9:381-8. 2006..Our observations reveal an endogenous function of ghrelin that links metabolic control with higher brain functions and suggest novel therapeutic strategies to enhance learning and memory processes...
- Impact of obesity on the growth hormone axis: evidence for a direct inhibitory effect of hyperinsulinemia on pituitary functionRaul M Luque
Section of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Department of Medicine, University of Illinois at Chicago, Illinois, USA
Endocrinology 147:2754-63. 2006..expression of pituitary receptors important for GH synthesis and release [GHRH receptor (DIO only) and the ghrelin receptor (ob/ob and DIO)]...
- Blockade of pancreatic islet-derived ghrelin enhances insulin secretion to prevent high-fat diet-induced glucose intoleranceKatsuya Dezaki
Division of Integrative Physiology, Department of Physiology, Jichi Medical University School of Medicine, Yakushiji 3311 1, Shimotsuke, Tochigi 329 0498, Japan
Diabetes 55:3486-93. 2006The gastric hormone ghrelin and its receptor, growth hormone secretagogue receptor (GHSR), are expressed in pancreas. Here, we report that ghrelin is released from pancreatic islets to regulate glucose-induced insulin release...
- Estradiol-dependent decrease in the orexigenic potency of ghrelin in female ratsDeborah J Clegg
Department of Psychiatry, University of Cincinnati, P O Box 670559, Cincinnati, OH 45267 0559, USA
Diabetes 56:1051-8. 2007..orexigneic neuropeptide expression in rats and on food intake and weight gain in transgenic mice lacking the ghrelin receptor (Ghsr(-/-) mice)...
- Ghrelin promotes thymopoiesis during agingVishwa Deep Dixit
Clinical Immunology Section, Laboratory of Immunology, Intramural Research Program, National Institute on Aging, NIH, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
J Clin Invest 117:2778-90. 2007..Here we report that ghrelin and ghrelin receptor expression within the thymus diminished with progressive aging...
- The gastrointestinal hormone ghrelin modulates inhibitory neurotransmission in deep laminae of mouse spinal cord dorsal hornAngela M Vergnano
Department of Veterinary Morphophysiology, University of Turin, Via Leonardo da Vinci 44, 10095 Grugliasco Torino, Italy
Endocrinology 149:2306-12. 2008..However, central nervous system distribution of its receptor [type 1a GH secretagogue receptor (GHSR)] and modulation of neurotransmission in the hypothalamus suggest broader effects than originally predicted...
- The orexigenic hormone ghrelin defends against depressive symptoms of chronic stressMichael Lutter
Department of Psychiatry, The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, 5323 Harry Hines Blvd, Dallas, Texas 75390 9077, USA
Nat Neurosci 11:752-3. 2008..a rodent model of depression, persistently increased ghrelin levels, whereas growth hormone secretagogue receptor (Ghsr) null mice showed increased deleterious effects of chronic defeat...
- Reduction in hypophyseal growth hormone and prolactin expression due to deficiency in ghrelin receptor signaling is associated with Pit-1 suppression: relevance to the immune systemHyunwon Yang
Laboratory of Immunology, National Institute on Aging Intramural Research Program, 5600 Nathan Shock Drive, NIH, Baltimore, MD 21224, USA
Brain Behav Immun 22:1138-45. 2008..Hence, we hypothesized that ablation of Ghsr would reduce Pit-1 expression and as a consequence reduce growth hormone (GH) production explaining the lower body ..
- Deficient ghrelin receptor-mediated signaling compromises thymic stromal cell microenvironment by accelerating thymic adiposityYun Hee Youm
Laboratory of Neuroendocrine Immunology, Pennington Biomedical Research Center, Louisiana State University System, Baton Rouge, Louisiana 70808, USA
J Biol Chem 284:7068-77. 2009..Here we demonstrate that Ghrl and ghrelin receptor (growth hormone secretagogue receptor (GHSR)) are expressed in thymic stromal cells and that their expression ..
- Ghrelin inhibits the development of mouse preimplantation embryos in vitroKazuhiro Kawamura
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Akita University School of Medicine, Akita 010 8543, Japan
Endocrinology 144:2623-33. 2003..Thus, ghrelin may act as a peripheral factor to avoid the excess metabolic demands imposed by pregnancy during malnutritional states...
- Requirement of central ghrelin signaling for alcohol rewardElisabet Jerlhag
Section for Pharmacology, Institute of Neuroscience and Physiology, The Sahlgrenska Academy at the University of Gothenburg, SE 405 30 Gothenburg, Sweden
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:11318-23. 2009..By contrast, central or peripheral administration of ghrelin receptor (GHS-R1A) antagonists suppressed alcohol intake in this model...
- Assessing the role of the growth hormone secretagogue receptor in motivational learning and food intakeAlexander W Johnson
Neurogenetics and Behavior Center, Department of Psychological and Brain Sciences, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD, 21218, USA
Behav Neurosci 123:1058-65. 2009..received low (50 nmol), moderate (100 nmol), and high (200 nmol) intraperitoneal injections of the GHS-R antagonist GHRP-6 [D-Lys3] prior to subsequent transfer and sucrose consumption tests...
- Functional and in situ hybridization evidence that preganglionic sympathetic vasoconstrictor neurons express ghrelin receptorsD M Ferens
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, University of Melbourne, Parkville, Victoria 3010, Australia
Neuroscience 166:671-9. 2010..We investigated the effects within the spinal cord of two non-peptide ghrelin receptor agonists, GSK894490 and CP464709, and two peptide receptor agonists, ghrelin and des-acyl ghrelin, and we ..
- Peripheral ghrelin enhances sweet taste food consumption and preference, regardless of its caloric contentEmmanuel Disse
Laboratory of Metabolism, Division of Endocrinology, Diabetology and Nutrition, Department of Internal Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Geneva, Geneva, Switzerland
Physiol Behav 101:277-81. 2010..We therefore attempted to delineate the involvement of ghrelin in the modulation of non-caloric but highly rewarding consumption...
- Melanocortin signaling in the CNS directly regulates circulating cholesterolDiego Perez-Tilve
Metabolic Diseases Institute, Division of Endocrinology, Department of Medicine, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Nat Neurosci 13:877-82. 2010..Our data suggest that a neural circuit in the brain is directly involved in the control of cholesterol metabolism by the liver...
- Altered metabolic and neurochemical responses to chronic unpredictable stressors in ghrelin receptor-deficient miceZ R Patterson
Institute of Neuroscience, Carleton University, 1125 Colonel By Drive, Ottawa, K1S 5B6 ON, Canada
Eur J Neurosci 32:632-9. 2010..This was achieved by examining these responses in mice with targeted deletions of the ghrelin receptor gene (GHSR KO mice), and comparing them with the same responses in their wild-type (WT) littermates...
- Ghrelin is produced in taste cells and ghrelin receptor null mice show reduced taste responsivity to salty (NaCl) and sour (citric acid) tastantsYu Kyong Shin
National Institute on Aging National Institutes of Health, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America
PLoS ONE 5:e12729. 2010..The exact mechanisms that fine tune taste sensitivity are currently poorly defined, but it is clear that numerous factors such as efferent input and specific signal transduction cascades are involved...
- Blockade of central nicotine acetylcholine receptor signaling attenuate ghrelin-induced food intake in rodentsS L Dickson
Department of Physiology Endocrinology, Institute of Neuroscience and Physiology, The Sahlgrenska Academy at the University of Gothenburg, Medicinaregatan 11, SE 405 30 Gothenburg, Sweden
Neuroscience 171:1180-6. 2010..p. blocked food intake following ghrelin injection into the VTA. Expression of the ghrelin receptor, the growth hormone secretagogue receptor 1A, was found to co-localize with choline acetyltransferase, a ..
- Signaling through the ghrelin receptor modulates hippocampal function and meal anticipation in miceJon F Davis
University of Cincinnati, Department of Psychiatry, Cincinnati, OH, USA
Physiol Behav 103:39-43. 2011..Here, we used wild type and ghrelin receptor deficient mice to test the hypothesis that ghrelin signaling is necessary for the processing of emotionally ..
- 5-HT2CRs expressed by pro-opiomelanocortin neurons regulate insulin sensitivity in liverYong Xu
Division of Hypothalamic Research and Department of Internal Medicine, UT Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas, USA
Nat Neurosci 13:1457-9. 2010..Our findings indicate that 5-HT(2C)Rs expressed by POMC neurons are physiologically relevant regulators of insulin sensitivity and glucose homeostasis in the liver...
- A chemically induced model for squamous cell carcinoma of the lung in mice: histopathology and strain susceptibilityYian Wang
Department of Surgery and the Siteman Cancer Center, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
Cancer Res 64:1647-54. 2004..Furthermore, this model can be used in determining genetic modifiers that contribute to susceptibility or resistance to lung SCC development...
- Neuropharmacology of Learned Food PreferencesAnthony Sclafani; Fiscal Year: 2009..It will advance our understanding of the basic mechanisms involved in the development of food preferences and may provide insights into the clinical treatment of overeating and obesity. ..
- Ghrelin's role in glucose homestasis during agingYuxiang Sun; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..