Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Gdnf
Description: glial cell line derived neurotrophic factor
Alias: AI385739, ATF, glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor, astrocyte-derived trophic factor, neurotrophic factor
Publications125 found, 100 shown here
- Neurturin, a relative of glial-cell-line-derived neurotrophic factorP T Kotzbauer
Division of Laboratory Medicine, Department of Pathology, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
Nature 384:467-70. 1996..Here we describe the purification and cloning of a new neurotrophic factor, identified on the basis of its ability to support the survival of sympathetic neurons in culture...
- The GDNF family ligands and receptors - implications for neural developmentR H Baloh
Departments of Pathology and Internal Medicine, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Curr Opin Neurobiol 10:103-10. 2000The glial cell line derived neurotrophic factor (GDNF) family has recently been expanded to include four members, and the interactions between these neurotrophic factors and their unique receptor system is now beginning to be understood...
- GDNF is a chemoattractant for enteric neural cellsH M Young
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, University of Melbourne, Victoria, 3010, Australia
Dev Biol 229:503-16. 2001In situ hybridization revealed that GDNF mRNA in the mid- and hindgut mesenchyme of embryonic mice was minimal at E10.5 but was rapidly elevated at all gut regions after E11, but with a slight delay (0.5 days) in the hindgut...
- The GDNF family: signalling, biological functions and therapeutic valueMatti S Airaksinen
Programme of Molecular Neurobiology, Institute of Biotechnology, P O Box 56, Viikki Biocenter, FIN 00014, University of Helsinki, Finland
Nat Rev Neurosci 3:383-94. 2002Members of the nerve growth factor (NGF) and glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor (GDNF) families comprising neurotrophins and GDNF-family ligands (GFLs), respectively are crucial for the development and maintenance of ..
- GDNF availability determines enteric neuron number by controlling precursor proliferationScott Gianino
Department of Pediatrics, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Development 130:2187-98. 2003..These analyses demonstrate that glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor (GDNF) and neurturin are important for different aspects of ENS development...
- Role of fibroblast growth factor receptors 1 and 2 in the metanephric mesenchymeDeepali Pitre Poladia
Center for Cell and Vascular Biology, Columbus Children s Research Institute, 700 Children s Drive, Columbus, OH 43205, USA
Dev Biol 291:325-39. 2006..In metanephric mesenchymal rudiments, fgfr1 and fgfr2 appear to function downstream of Eya1 and Six1, but upstream of Six2, Sall1, and Pax2. Finally, this is the first example of renal aplasia in a conditional knockout model...
- Distinct and sequential tissue-specific activities of the LIM-class homeobox gene Lim1 for tubular morphogenesis during kidney developmentAkio Kobayashi
Program in Developmental Biology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Development 132:2809-23. 2005..We also demonstrate that the nephric duct is essential for the elongation and maintenance of the adjacent Mullerian duct, the anlage of the female reproductive tract...
- Expression of neurturin, GDNF, and GDNF family-receptor mRNA in the developing and mature mouseJ P Golden
Department of Neurology, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri, 63110, USA
Exp Neurol 158:504-28. 1999..The GDNF family of neurotrophic factors currently has four members: neurturin (NRTN), glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor (GDNF), persephin, and artemin...
- Requirement of signalling by receptor tyrosine kinase RET for the directed migration of enteric nervous system progenitor cells during mammalian embryogenesisDipa Natarajan
Division of Molecular Neurobiology, MRC National Institute for Medical Research, The Ridgeway, Mill Hill, London NW7 1AA, UK
Development 129:5151-60. 2002..We provide evidence that activation of the receptor tyrosine kinase RET by glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor (GDNF) is required for the directional migration of ENS progenitors towards and within the gut wall...
- Kidney development in the absence of Gdnf and Spry1 requires Fgf10Odysse Michos
Department of Genetics and Development, Columbia University, New York, New York, USA
PLoS Genet 6:e1000809. 2010b>GDNF signaling through the Ret receptor tyrosine kinase (RTK) is required for ureteric bud (UB) branching morphogenesis during kidney development in mice and humans...
- The neurotrophic effects of glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor on spinal motoneurons are restricted to fusimotor subtypesThomas W Gould
Laboratory for Neuronal Differentiation and Regeneration, RIKEN Center for Developmental Biology, Kobe 650 0047, Japan
J Neurosci 28:2131-46. 2008Glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor (GDNF) regulates multiple aspects of spinal motoneuron (MN) development, including gene expression, target selection, survival, and synapse elimination, and mice lacking either GDNF or its ..
- Eya 1 acts as a critical regulator for specifying the metanephric mesenchymeGangadharan Sajithlal
McLaughlin Research Institute for Biomedical Sciences, Great Falls, MT 59405, USA
Dev Biol 284:323-36. 2005Although it is well established that the Gdnf-Ret signal transduction pathway initiates metanephric induction, no single regulator has yet been identified to specify the metanephric mesenchyme or blastema within the intermediate mesoderm, ..
- Renal collecting system growth and function depend upon embryonic γ1 laminin expressionDong Hua Yang
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, Piscataway, NJ 08854, USA
Development 138:4535-44. 2011..mRNA levels for fibroblast growth factor 2 (FGF2) and mediators of the GDNF/RET and WNT11 signaling pathway were also decreased...
- SLIT2-mediated ROBO2 signaling restricts kidney induction to a single siteUta Grieshammer
Department of Anatomy and Program in Developmental Biology, School of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94158, USA
Dev Cell 6:709-17. 2004..It begins when a single ureteric bud emerges from the nephric duct in response to GDNF secreted by the adjacent nephrogenic mesenchyme...
- Differential activities of the RET tyrosine kinase receptor isoforms during mammalian embryogenesisE de Graaff
Division of Developmental Neurobiology, Medical Research Council MRC National Institute for Medical Research, The Ridgeway, Mill Hill, London NW7 1AA, UK
Genes Dev 15:2433-44. 2001..Our findings show that RET9 and RET51 have different signaling properties in vivo and define specific temporal and spatial requirements of c-Ret function during renal development and histogenesis of the enteric nervous system...
- Glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor is a survival factor for isolectin B4-positive, but not vanilloid receptor 1-positive, neurons in the mouseMelissa Zwick
Department of Anatomy, University of Kentucky School of Medicine, Lexington, Kentucky 40536, USA
J Neurosci 22:4057-65. 2002..between embryonic day 16 and postnatal day 14 and become responsive to glial cell line-derived growth factor (GDNF), a member of the transforming growth factor beta (TGF-beta) family...
- Expression of GDNF and GFR alpha 1 in mouse taste bud cellsMasako Takeda
Department of Oral Anatomy, School of Dentistry, Health Sciences University of Hokkaido, Tobetsu, Ishikari, Hokkaido 061 0293, Japan
J Comp Neurol 479:94-102. 2004GDNF (glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor) affects the survival and maintenance of central and peripheral neurons...
- Astrocyte-derived transgene GDNF promotes complete and long-term survival of adult facial motoneurons following avulsion and differentially regulates the expression of transcription factors of AP-1 and ATF/CREB familiesAlexander Parsadanian
Department of Neurology and Hope Center for Neurological Disorders, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Exp Neurol 200:26-37. 2006Glial-cell-line-derived neurotrophic factor (GDNF) is a potent survival factor for motoneurons (MNs)...
- Discs-large homolog 1 regulates smooth muscle orientation in the mouse ureterZhen X Mahoney
Department of Internal Medicine, Renal Division, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:19872-7. 2006..Our results suggest that (i) besides its well documented role in regulating epithelial polarity, Dlgh1 also regulates smooth muscle orientation, and (ii) human DLG1 mutations may contribute to hereditary forms of hydronephrosis...
- Downregulation of Spry-1, an inhibitor of GDNF/Ret, causes angiotensin II-induced ureteric bud branchingIhor V Yosypiv
Section of Pediatric Nephrology, Department of Pediatrics, Hypertension and Renal Center of Excellence, Tulane University Health Sciences Center, New Orleans, Louisiana 70112, USA
Kidney Int 74:1287-93. 2008..pathway for branching morphogenesis during kidney development is the c-Ret receptor tyrosine kinase whose ligand is GDNF and whose downstream target is Wnt11...
- Genetic analysis reveals an unexpected role of BMP7 in initiation of ureteric bud outgrowth in mouse embryosAlexandre Gonçalves
Developmental Genetics, Department of Biomedicine, University of Basel Medical Faculty, Basel, Switzerland
PLoS ONE 6:e19370. 2011..Therefore, we investigated whether BMP7 in turn also participates in inhibiting ureteric bud outgrowth during the initiation of metanephric kidney development...
- Persephin, a novel neurotrophic factor related to GDNF and neurturinJ Milbrandt
Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
Neuron 20:245-53. 1998A novel neurotrophic factor named Persephin that is approximately 40% identical to glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor (GDNF) and neurturin (NTN) has been identified using degenerate PCR...
- Renal agenesis in mice homozygous for a gene trap mutation in the gene encoding heparan sulfate 2-sulfotransferaseS L Bullock
Laboratory of Mammalian Development, Medical Research Council MRC National Institute for Medical Research, The Ridgeway, London NW7 1AA, UK
Genes Dev 12:1894-906. 1998..These data provide the first genetic evidence that the regulated synthesis of differentially glycosylated proteoglycans can affect morphogenesis during vertebrate development...
- Regulation of metanephric kidney development by growth/differentiation factor 11Aurora F Esquela
Department of Molecular Biology and Genetics, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Dev Biol 257:356-70. 2003..embryos lacking a ureteric bud was found to be defective in the expression of glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor (Gdnf), a gene known to direct ureteric bud outgrowth...
- Gremlin-mediated BMP antagonism induces the epithelial-mesenchymal feedback signaling controlling metanephric kidney and limb organogenesisOdysse Michos
Developmental Genetics, Dept of Clinical Biological Sciences DKBW University of Basel Medical School, c o Anatomy Institute, Pestalozzistrasse 20, CH 4056 Basel, Switzerland
Development 131:3401-10. 2004..to induce metanephric kidney development as initiation of ureter growth, branching and establishment of RET/GDNF feedback signaling are disrupted in Grem1-deficient embryos...
- The transcription factor Six2 activates expression of the Gdnf gene as well as its own promoterStephan Brodbeck
Institut für Toxikologie und Genetik, Forschungszentrum Karlsruhe, 76021 Karlsruhe, Germany
Mech Dev 121:1211-22. 2004..One important molecule mediating this interaction is the glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor Gdnf, which is secreted by the mesenchymal cells. Regulation of Gdnf expression is largely unknown...
- Glial cell-line derived neurotrophic factor-dependent fusimotor neuron survival during developmentJennifer Whitehead
Department of Pathology Neuropathology, Northwestern University, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
Mech Dev 122:27-41. 2005Glial cell-line derived neurotrophic factor (GDNF) is a potent survival factor for motor neurons...
- GDNF: a glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor for midbrain dopaminergic neuronsL F Lin
Synergen, Inc, Boulder, CO 80301
Science 260:1130-2. 1993A potent neurotrophic factor that enhances survival of midbrain dopaminergic neurons was purified and cloned...
- Renal agenesis and the absence of enteric neurons in mice lacking GDNFM P Sanchez
Department of Molecular Oncology, Bristol Myers Squibb Pharmaceutical Research Institute, Princeton, New Jersey 08543, USA
Nature 382:70-3. 1996Glial-cell-line-derived neurotrophic factor (GDNF) is a potent survival factor for dopaminergic neurons and motor neurons in culture...
- Defects in enteric innervation and kidney development in mice lacking GDNFJ G Pichel
Laboratory of Mammalian Genes and Development, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda 20892, USA
Nature 382:73-6. 1996Glial-lial-cell-line-derived neurotrophic factor (GDNF) has been isolated as neurotrophic factor for midbrain dopaminergic neurons...
- Renal and neuronal abnormalities in mice lacking GDNFM W Moore
Department of Molecular Biology, Genentech, Inc, South San Francisco, California 94080, USA
Nature 382:76-9. 1996Glial cell-line derived neurotrophic factor (GDNF) is a potent survival factor for embryonic midbrain dopaminergic, spinal motor, cranial sensory, sympathetic, and hindbrain noradrenergic neurons, and is available to these cells in vivo...
- Defects of urogenital development in mice lacking Emx2N Miyamoto
Department of Morphogenesis, Institute of Molecular Embryology and Genetics IMEG, Kumamoto University School of Medicine, Honjo, Japan
Development 124:1653-64. 1997..Pax-2 and c-ret expressions in the Wolffian duct and WT-1 and GDNF expressions in the metanephric blastema were initially normal in the mutant...
- GDNF induces branching and increased cell proliferation in the ureter of the mouseC V Pepicelli
Biolabs, Harvard University, 16 Divinity Avenue, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138, USA
Dev Biol 192:193-8. 1997The secreted signaling molecule GDNF is expressed in the metanephric mesenchyme and has recently been implicated as a factor necessary for development of the metanephric kidney...
- Synergistic effects of schwann- and muscle-derived factors on motoneuron survival involve GDNF and cardiotrophin-1 (CT-1)V Arce
Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale INSERM U 382, Marseille, France
J Neurosci 18:1440-8. 1998..5 rat motoneurons in culture. Different lines of evidence implicate glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor (GDNF) and cardiotrophin-1 (CT-1) in this synergy...
- Dominant effects of RET receptor misexpression and ligand-independent RET signaling on ureteric bud developmentS Srinivas
Department of Genetics and Development and Department of Pathology, College of Physicians and Surgeons, Columbia University, New York, NY 10032, USA
Development 126:1375-86. 1999..kinase RET and co-receptor GFR(&agr;)-1, which are expressed in the ureteric bud, and the secreted ligand GDNF produced in the mesenchyme...
- Initial differentiation of the metanephric mesenchyme is independent of WT1 and the ureteric budM J Donovan
Department of Pathology, Children s Hospital, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Dev Genet 24:252-62. 1999..Here, we demonstrate that several markers, including Pax-2, Six-2, and GDNF, were present as RNAs in the metanephric mesenchyme of Wt1 -/- embryos...
- Eya1-deficient mice lack ears and kidneys and show abnormal apoptosis of organ primordiaP X Xu
Division of Genetics, Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Nat Genet 23:113-7. 1999..b>Gdnf expression, which is required to direct ureteric bud outgrowth via activation of the c-ret Rtk (refs 5, 6, 7, 8), ..
- Regulation of cell fate decision of undifferentiated spermatogonia by GDNFX Meng
Research Programs of Developmental Biology, Molecular Neurobiology, Electron Microscopy Unit, Institute of Biotechnology, Viikki Biocenter, Finland
Science 287:1489-93. 2000..Transgenic loss-of-function and overexpression models now show that the dosage of glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor (GDNF), produced by Sertoli cells, regulates cell fate decisions of undifferentiated spermatogonial cells ..
- Murine forkhead/winged helix genes Foxc1 (Mf1) and Foxc2 (Mfh1) are required for the early organogenesis of the kidney and urinary tractT Kume
Howard Hughes Medical Institute and Department of Cell Biology, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, Tennessee 37232 2175, USA
Development 127:1387-95. 2000..Moreover, expression in the intermediate mesoderm of Glial cell-derived neurotrophic factor (Gdnf), a primary inducer of the ureteric bud, is expanded more anteriorly in Foxc1 homozygous mutants ..
- Bone morphogenetic protein 4 regulates the budding site and elongation of the mouse ureterY Miyazaki
Department of Pediatrics, Department of Pathology, Department of Cell Biology, and Department of Medicine, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, Tennessee 37232, USA
J Clin Invest 105:863-73. 2000..not inhibited, BMP4 beads inhibit ureter branching and expression of Wnt 11, a target of glial cell-derived neurotrophic factor signaling. Thus, Bmp4 has 2 functions in the early morphogenesis of the kidney and urinary tract...
- Development of cranial parasympathetic ganglia requires sequential actions of GDNF and neurturinH Enomoto
Department of Pathology and Internal Medicine, Washington University School of Medicine, Box 8118, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Development 127:4877-89. 2000..Here we show that GDNF signaling via the RET/GFR(alpha)1 complex is crucial for the development of cranial parasympathetic ganglia ..
- Promoter analysis and characteristics of the 5'-untranslated region of the mouse glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor geneM Tanaka
Laboratory for Genes of Motor Systems, Bio Mimetic Control Research Program, The Institute of Physical and Chemical Research RIKEN, Moriyama, Nagoya 463 0003, Japan
Brain Res Mol Brain Res 85:91-102. 2000We have cloned the mouse GDNF cDNA and genomic DNA to study the molecular mechanism of gene expression...
- Nephron endowment in glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor (GDNF) heterozygous miceL A Cullen-McEwen
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, Department of Medicine, Monash University, Clayton, Victoria, Australia
Kidney Int 60:31-6. 2001..However, in vivo and in vitro evidence indicates that glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor (GDNF) is a key regulator of the initiation of ureteric branching...
- Murine homolog of SALL1 is essential for ureteric bud invasion in kidney developmentR Nishinakamura
Division of Stem Cell Regulation, Institute of Medical Science, The University of Tokyo, Japan
Development 128:3105-15. 2001..Sall1 is therefore essential for ureteric bud invasion, the initial key step for metanephros development...
- Regulation of ureteric bud outgrowth by Pax2-dependent activation of the glial derived neurotrophic factor geneP D Brophy
Department of Pediatrics, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
Development 128:4747-56. 2001..The receptor tyrosine kinase RET and glial cell-derived neurotrophic factor (GDNF) form a signaling complex that is essential for ureteric bud growth and branching morphogenesis of ..
- Distal ureter morphogenesis depends on epithelial cell remodeling mediated by vitamin A and RetEkatherina Batourina
Department of Urology, Columbia University, 630 West 168th Street, New York, New York 10032, USA
Nat Genet 32:109-15. 2002..Our studies indicate that formation of the trigonal wedge may be essential for correct insertion of the distal ureters into the bladder, and that these events are mediated by the vitamin A and Ret signaling pathways...
- GDNF acts through PEA3 to regulate cell body positioning and muscle innervation of specific motor neuron poolsGeorg Haase
INSERM U 382, Developmental Biology Institute of Marseille, CNRS INSERM Univ Mediterranee, Campus de Luminy, Case 907, Marseille, France
Neuron 35:893-905. 2002..We show that glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor (GDNF), initially characterized for its role as a survival factor, is present early in the plexus of the ..
- Six1 is required for the early organogenesis of mammalian kidneyPin Xian Xu
McLaughlin Research Institute, 1520 23rd Street South, Great Falls, MT 59405, USA
Development 130:3085-94. 2003..These analyses establish a role for Six1 in the initial inductive step for metanephric development...
- Wnt11 and Ret/Gdnf pathways cooperate in regulating ureteric branching during metanephric kidney developmentArindam Majumdar
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, Harvard University, 16 Divinity Avenue, Cambridge, MA 02138, USA
Development 130:3175-85. 2003..Wnt11 functions, in part, by maintaining normal expression levels of the gene encoding glial cell-derived neurotrophic factor (Gdnf)...
- Sprouty proteins regulate ureteric branching by coordinating reciprocal epithelial Wnt11, mesenchymal Gdnf and stromal Fgf7 signalling during kidney developmentLijun Chi
Biocenter Oulu and Department of Biochemistry, Faculties of Science and Medicine, University of Oulu, PO Box 3000, FIN 90014 Oulu, Finland
Development 131:3345-56. 2004..The experimentally induced dysmorphology associated with deregulated expression of Wnt11, Gdnf and Fgf7 genes in the early stages of organogenesis indicated a crucial role for sprouty function in coordination ..
- Sonic hedgehog regulates the proliferation, differentiation, and migration of enteric neural crest cells in gutMing Fu
Department of Surgery, The University of Hong Kong, 21 Sassoon Rd, Pokfulam, Hong Kong, HKSAR China
J Cell Biol 166:673-84. 2004..The pro-neurogenic effect of glial cell line--derived neurotrophic factor (GDNF) on NCCs was abolished by Shh...
- GFRalpha1 expression in cells lacking RET is dispensable for organogenesis and nerve regenerationHideki Enomoto
Department of Pathology, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Neuron 44:623-36. 2004The GDNF family ligands signal through a receptor complex composed of a ligand binding subunit, GFRalpha, and a signaling subunit, the RET tyrosine kinase...
- Sprouty1 is a critical regulator of GDNF/RET-mediated kidney inductionM Albert Basson
Department of Medicine, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, One Gustave L Levy Place, New York, New York, USA
Dev Cell 8:229-39. 2005..These defects are due to increased sensitivity of the Wolffian duct to GDNF/RET signaling, and reducing Gdnf gene dosage correspondingly rescues the Spry1 null phenotype...
- GDNF and GFRalpha1 promote differentiation and tangential migration of cortical GABAergic neuronsEsther Pozas
Division of Molecular Neurobiology, Department of Neuroscience, Karolinska Institute, S 17177 Stockholm, Sweden
Neuron 45:701-13. 2005..b>GDNF signaling via GFRalpha1 was found to promote the differentiation of ventral precursors into GABAergic cells, ..
- The role of GDNF in patterning the excretory systemReena Shakya
Department of Genetics and Development, Columbia University Medical Center, New York, NY 10032, USA
Dev Biol 283:70-84. 2005..factors thought to play a critical role in patterning the growth and branching of the epithelial ureteric bud is GDNF. We have tested the requirement for GDNF as a paracrine chemoattractive factor by altering its site of expression ..
- FGF8 is required for cell survival at distinct stages of nephrogenesis and for regulation of gene expression in nascent nephronsUta Grieshammer
Department of Anatomy and Program in Developmental Biology, School of Medicine, University of California at San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94143 2711, USA
Development 132:3847-57. 2005..Thus, unlike other FGF family members, which regulate growth and branching morphogenesis of the collecting duct system, Fgf8 encodes a factor essential for gene regulation and cell survival at distinct steps in nephrogenesis...
- Wnt9b plays a central role in the regulation of mesenchymal to epithelial transitions underlying organogenesis of the mammalian urogenital systemThomas J Carroll
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, Harvard University, 16 Divinity Avenue, Cambridge, MA 02138, USA
Dev Cell 9:283-92. 2005..Together these findings suggest that Wnt9b is a common organizing signal regulating diverse components of the mammalian urogenital system...
- Lim 1 is required for nephric duct extension and ureteric bud morphogenesisAnissa Pedersen
Department of Genetics, Cell Biology and Development and University of Minnesota Developmental Biology Center, University of Minnesota, 6 160 Jackson Hall, 321 Church St SE, Minneapolis, MN 55455, USA
Dev Biol 288:571-81. 2005..These results suggest that Lim 1 influences nephric duct extension and ureteric bud outgrowth by regulating and or maintaining the differentiation of the nephric epithelium...
- Glial cell-line derived neurotrophic factor-mediated RET signaling regulates spermatogonial stem cell fateCathy K Naughton
Division of Urology, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
Biol Reprod 74:314-21. 2006..We report that glial cell-line-derived neurotrophic factor (GDNF) signaling through the RET tyrosine kinase/GFRA1 receptor complex is required for spermatogonial self-..
- Pax 2/8-regulated Gata 3 expression is necessary for morphogenesis and guidance of the nephric duct in the developing kidneyDavid Grote
McGill Cancer Centre and Biochemistry Department, McGill University, 3655 Promenade Sir William Osler, Montreal, Quebec H3G 1Y6, Canada
Development 133:53-61. 2006..Together, these results define Gata3 as a key regulator of nephric duct morphogenesis and guidance in the pro/mesonephric kidney...
- Spatial gene expression in the T-stage mouse metanephrosGeorgina Caruana
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, Monash University, Clayton, Vic, Australia
Gene Expr Patterns 6:807-25. 2006..This study has identified genes spatially expressed in regions of the developing kidney involved in branching morphogenesis, nephrogenesis and the development of the collecting duct system, calyces, renal pelvis and ureter...
- Branching morphogenesis of the ureteric epithelium during kidney development is coordinated by the opposing functions of GDNF and Sprouty1M Albert Basson
Division of Hematology Oncology, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, One Gustave L Levy Place, New York, NY 10029, USA
Dev Biol 299:466-77. 2006..Glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor (GDNF) initiates ureteric bud formation and promotes subsequent branching morphogenesis...
- Six2 is required for suppression of nephrogenesis and progenitor renewal in the developing kidneyMichelle Self
Department of Genetics and Tumor Cell Biology, St Jude Children s Research Hospital, Memphis, TN 38105 2794, USA
EMBO J 25:5214-28. 2006..We propose that in the developing kidney, Six2 activity is required for maintaining the mesenchymal progenitor population in an undifferentiated state by opposing the inductive signals emanating from the ureteric bud...
- Target-induced transcriptional control of dendritic patterning and connectivity in motor neurons by the ETS gene Pea3Eline Vrieseling
Biozentrum, Department of Cell Biology, University of Basel, Klingelbergstrasse 70, 4056 Basel, Switzerland
Cell 127:1439-52. 2006..We provide genetic evidence that the induction of the ETS transcription factor Pea3 by GDNF is essential in two cervical MN pools to control dendrite patterning and selectivity of IaPA connectivity...
- Role of Src family kinases and N-Myc in spermatogonial stem cell proliferationLaura Braydich-Stolle
Department of Biology, The University of Dayton, Dayton, OH 45469, USA
Dev Biol 304:34-45. 2007..In this report, we studied some of the signaling pathways triggered by glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor (GDNF), a component of the spermatogonial stem cell niche produced by the somatic Sertoli cells...
- The lectin Dolichos biflorus agglutinin is a sensitive indicator of branching morphogenetic activity in the developing mouse metanephric collecting duct systemLydia Michael
Centre for Integrative Physiology, Edinburgh University College of Medicine, Edinburgh, UK
J Anat 210:89-97. 2007..kidneys is inhibited in organ culture, by blocking the kidney's endogenous glial cell-derived neurothrophic factor (GDNF)-based branch-promoting signals, the DBA-binding zone extends to the very end of the tip but is lost from there ..
- Pax2 and pax8 regulate branching morphogenesis and nephron differentiation in the developing kidneyMelina Narlis
McGill Cancer Centre and Biochemistry Department, McGill University, 3655 Promenade Sir William Osler, Montreal, Quebec H3G 1Y6, Canada
J Am Soc Nephrol 18:1121-9. 2007..At the ureter tips, the expression of Wnt11, a target of glial cell-derived neurotrophic factor-Ret signaling, is significantly reduced, whereas the expression levels of Ret and GDNF remain normal...
- Reduction of BMP4 activity by gremlin 1 enables ureteric bud outgrowth and GDNF/WNT11 feedback signalling during kidney branching morphogenesisOdysse Michos
Developmental Genetics, DKBW Centre for Biomedicine, University of Basel Medical Faculty, Mattenstrasse 28, CH 4058 Basel, Switzerland
Development 134:2397-405. 2007..All epithelial buds express Wnt11, and Gdnf is significantly upregulated in the surrounding mesenchyme, indicating that epithelial-mesenchymal (e-m) feedback ..
- The ECM protein nephronectin promotes kidney development via integrin alpha8beta1-mediated stimulation of Gdnf expressionJames M Linton
Department of Physiology, 1550 Fourth Street, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
Development 134:2501-9. 2007..Instead, we found that Gdnf expression was dramatically reduced in both nephronectin- and alpha8 integrin-null mutants specifically in the ..
- Common and distinct factors regulate expression of mRNA for ETV5 and GDNF, Sertoli cell proteins essential for spermatogonial stem cell maintenanceLiz Simon
Department of Veterinary Biosciences, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, 2001 S Lincoln Ave, Urbana, IL 61802, USA
Exp Cell Res 313:3090-9. 2007Ets variant gene 5 (ETV5) and glial cell-derived neurotrophic factor (GDNF) are produced in Sertoli cells and required for maintenance and self-renewal of spermatogonial stem cells (SSCs) in mice...
- Glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor regulation of genes essential for self-renewal of mouse spermatogonial stem cells is dependent on Src family kinase signalingJon M Oatley
Department of Animal Biology, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
J Biol Chem 282:25842-51. 2007..SSC self-renewal is dependent on glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor (GDNF); however, intracellular mechanisms stimulated by GDNF in SSCs are unknown...
- Glial cell-derived neurotrophic factor independent ureteric bud outgrowth from the Wolffian ductAkito Maeshima
Department of Pediatrics, University of California, San Diego, 9500 Gilman Drive, La Jolla, California 92093 0693, USA
J Am Soc Nephrol 18:3147-55. 2007
- Canonical WNT/beta-catenin signaling is required for ureteric branchingDarren Bridgewater
Program in Developmental and Stem Cell Biology, The Hospital for Sick Children, 555 University Avenue, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Dev Biol 317:83-94. 2008..Together, these data demonstrate that beta-catenin performs essential functions during renal branching morphogenesis via control of a hierarchy of genes that control ureteric branching...
- Development of satellite glia in mouse sympathetic ganglia: GDNF and GFR alpha 1 are not essentialThomas Callahan
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, University of Melbourne, Victoria 3010, Australia
Glia 56:1428-37. 2008..Satellite glial precursors in E11.5-E15.5 mice also expressed the GDNF-binding molecule, GFRalpha1...
- Role of fibroblast growth factor receptor 2 in kidney mesenchymeDavid Hains
Center for Cell and Developmental Biology, The Research Institute at Nationwide Children s Hospital, Columbus, Ohio 43205, USA
Pediatr Res 64:592-8. 2008..Deletion of Fgfr2 did not change expression domains of glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor (GDNF), Robo2, bone morphogenetic protein 4, or Sprouty1, all of which regulate ureteric bud induction...
- The structure of the glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor-coreceptor complex: insights into RET signaling and heparin bindingVimal Parkash
Institute of Biotechnology, University of Helsinki, Helsinki, Finland
J Biol Chem 283:35164-72. 2008Glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor (GDNF), a neuronal survival factor, binds its co-receptor GDNF family receptor alpha1 (GFR alpha 1) in a 2:2 ratio and signals through the receptor tyrosine kinase RET...
- Biosynthesis, processing, and secretion of glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor in astroglial cellsKentaro Oh-Hashi
Department of Biomolecular Science, Faculty of Engineering, Gifu University, 1 1 Yanagido, Gifu, 501 1193, Japan
Mol Cell Biochem 323:1-7. 2009Glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor (GDNF) is synthesized as a precursor, proGDNF...
- Lrp4 regulates initiation of ureteric budding and is crucial for kidney formation--a mouse model for Cenani-Lenz syndromeCourtney M Karner
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas, United States of America
PLoS ONE 5:e10418. 2010..Multiple signaling pathways must be integrated to ensure proper timing and location of the ureteric bud formation...
- Dicer regulates the development of nephrogenic and ureteric compartments in the mammalian kidneyVidya K Nagalakshmi
Department of Cell Biology, University of Virginia School of Medicine, Charlottesville, Virginia 22908, USA
Kidney Int 79:317-30. 2011..Furthermore, an understanding of miRNA action may provide new insights into the etiology and pathogenesis of renal cyst-based kidney disease...
- Sema4C-Plexin B2 signalling modulates ureteric branching in developing kidneyNina Perälä
Institute of Biomedicine Medical Biochemistry and Developmental Biology, Biomedicum Helsinki, PO Box 63, FI 00014 University of Helsinki, Finland
Differentiation 81:81-91. 2011..Plexin B2 interacts with the Ret receptor tyrosine kinase, the receptor of Glial-cell-line-derived neurotrophic factor (Gdnf), in embryonic kidneys...
- Canonical Wnt9b signaling balances progenitor cell expansion and differentiation during kidney developmentCourtney M Karner
Department of Internal Medicine Nephrology and Molecular Biology, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, 5323 Harry Hines Boulevard Dallas, TX 75390, USA
Development 138:1247-57. 2011..These findings provide novel insights into the molecular mechanisms that regulate progenitor cell differentiation during normal and pathological conditions...
- Novel mechanisms of early upper and lower urinary tract patterning regulated by RetY1015 docking tyrosine in miceMasato Hoshi
Department of Internal Medicine Renal Division, Washington University School ofMedicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Development 139:2405-15. 2012..We show that the mechanism of de novo ectopic budding is via increased ERK activity due to abnormal mesenchymal GDNF expression. Although reduction in GDNF dosage improved CAKUT it did not affect delayed mesenchyme regression...
- Midline-derived Shh regulates mesonephric tubule formation through the paraxial mesodermAki Murashima
Department of Developmental Genetics, Institute of Advanced Medicine, Wakayama Medical University, 811 1 Kimiidera, Wakayama 641 8509, Wakayama, Japan
Dev Biol 386:216-26. 2014..These data demonstrate the essential role of midline-derived Shh in local tissue morphogenesis and differentiation. ..
- Hox11 paralogous genes are essential for metanephric kidney inductionDeneen M Wellik
Department of Human Genetics and Howard Hughes Medical Institute, University of Utah School of Medicine, Salt Lake City 84112 5331, USA
Genes Dev 16:1423-32. 2002..Six2 expression, however, is absent, as is expression of the inducing growth factor, Gdnf. In the absence of Gdnf, ureteric bud formation is not initiated...
- Cooperation between GDNF/Ret and ephrinA/EphA4 signals for motor-axon pathway selection in the limbEdgar R Kramer
Department of Molecular Neurobiology, Max Planck Institute of Neurobiology, 82152 Martinsried, Germany
Neuron 50:35-47. 2006..Here, we implicate glial-cell-line-derived neurotrophic factor (GDNF) and its receptor, Ret, in the same guidance decision...
- Hoxd11 specifies a program of metanephric kidney development within the intermediate mesoderm of the mouse embryoJoshua W Mugford
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA 02138, USA
Dev Biol 319:396-405. 2008..This program maintains tubule forming progenitors and instructs a metanephric specific pattern of nephron differentiation...
- Testis cord differentiation after the sex determination stage is independent of Sox9 but fails in the combined absence of Sox9 and Sox8Francisco Barrionuevo
Institute of Human Genetics and Anthropology, University of Freiburg, Breisacherstr 33, D 79106 Freiburg, Germany
Dev Biol 327:301-12. 2009..This study shows that testis cord differentiation is independent of Sox9, and that concerted Sox9 and Sox8 function in post E14.0 Sertoli cells is essential for the maintenance of testicular function...
- c-RET molecule in malignant melanoma from oncogenic RET-carrying transgenic mice and human cell linesYuichiro Ohshima
Units of Environmental Health Sciences, Department of Biomedical Sciences, College of Life and Health Sciences, Chubu University, Kasugai shi, Aichi, Japan
PLoS ONE 5:e10279. 2010..In this study, we showed that expression levels of intrinsic c-Ret, glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor (Gdnf) and Gdnf receptor alpha 1 (Gfra1) transcripts in malignant melanomas from RET-transgenic mice were ..
- Embryonic expression of glial cell-line derived neurotrophic factor (GDNF) suggests multiple developmental roles in neural differentiation and epithelial-mesenchymal interactionsH L Hellmich
Laboratory of Cell Biology, National Institute of Mental Health, Bethesda, MD 20892 4090, USA
Mech Dev 54:95-105. 1996We describe the cloning of the mouse glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor (GDNF) gene and its expression during embryogenesis...
- TrnR2, a novel receptor that mediates neurturin and GDNF signaling through RetR H Baloh
Department of Pathology, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
Neuron 18:793-802. 1997Glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor (GDNF) and neurturin (NTN) comprise a family of TGF-beta-related neurotrophic factors (TRNs), which have trophic influences on a variety of neuronal populations...
- Prominent expression of glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor in human skeletal muscleH Suzuki
Department of Pharmacology, Nippon Medical School, Tokyo, Japan
J Comp Neurol 402:303-12. 1998Glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor (GDNF) has been shown to exert neurotrophic effects on motor neurons as well as mesencephalic dopaminergic neurons...
- Lessons from genetically engineered animal models. II. Disorders of enteric neuronal development: insights from transgenic miceM D Gershon
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, New York 10032, USA
Am J Physiol 277:G262-7. 1999..The second, associated with mutations in genes encoding glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor (GDNF), its preferred receptor GFRalpha1, or their signaling component, Ret, appears to deprive a GDNF-..
- Development of interstitial cells of Cajal and pacemaking in mice lacking enteric nervesS M Ward
Department of Physiology and Cell Biology, University of Nevada School of Medicine, Reno, Nevada, USA
Gastroenterology 117:584-94. 1999..Kit is activated by stem cell factor (SCF), but the source of SCF in the bowel wall is unclear and controversy exists about whether enteric neurons express the SCF required for ICC development...
- New roles for glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor and neurturin: involvement in hair cycle controlN V Botchkareva
Department of Dermatology, Charite, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany
Am J Pathol 156:1041-53. 2000Glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor (GDNF), neurturin (NTN), and their receptors, GDNF family receptor alpha-1 (GFRalpha-1) and GDNF family receptor alpha-2 (GFRalpha-2), are critically important for kidney and nervous system ..
- A dynamic regulation of GDNF-family receptors correlates with a specific trophic dependency of cranial motor neuron subpopulations during developmentA Mikaels
Laboratory of Molecular Neurobiology, MBB, Karolinska Institute, S171 77 Stockholm, Sweden
Eur J Neurosci 12:446-56. 2000Glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor (GDNF) family ligands promote the survival of developing motor neurons in vivo and in vitro...
- Functional analysis of zebrafish GDNFI T Shepherd
Department of Biological Structure, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98195, USA
Dev Biol 231:420-35. 2001We have identified zebrafish orthologues of glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor (GDNF) and the ligand-binding component of its receptor GFRalpha1...
- Marked dopaminergic cell loss subsequent to developmental, intranigral expression of glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factorHong S Chun
Department of Neurology and Neuroscience, Weill Medical College of Cornell University at the W M Burke Medical Research Institute, 785 Mamaroneck Avenue, White Plains, New York 10605, USA
Exp Neurol 173:235-44. 2002Glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor (GDNF) shows potent neuroprotective as well as neurorestorative actions on the adult neurons impacted in animal models of Parkinson's disease (PD)...
- GFAP knockout mice have increased levels of GDNF that protect striatal neurons from metabolic and excitotoxic insultsRose Hanbury
Research Center for Brain Repair and Department of Neurological Sciences, Rush Presbyterian Medical Center, Chicago, Illinois 60612, USA
J Comp Neurol 461:307-16. 2003..Enzyme-linked immunoassay analysis revealed increased basal levels of glial cell derived neurotrophic factor (GDNF) relative to WT mice...
- Crucial role of TrkB ligands in the survival and phenotypic differentiation of developing locus coeruleus noradrenergic neuronsPontus C Holm
Department of Medical Biochemistry and Biophysics, Laboratory of Molecular Neurobiology, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm S 171 77, Sweden
Development 130:3535-45. 2003The role of glial cell-line derived neurotrophic factor (GDNF) and neurotrophins in the development of locus coeruleus noradrenergic neurons was evaluated...
- Neuromuscular development after the prevention of naturally occurring neuronal death by Bax deletionWoong Sun
Department of Neurobiology and Anatomy, and Neuroscience Program, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston Salem, North Carolina 27157, USA
J Neurosci 23:7298-310. 2003..is responsible for postnatal MN atrophy and loss of innervation, we applied glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor (GDNF) to neonatal mice...
- Transcriptional activation of placental growth factor by the forkhead/winged helix transcription factor FoxD1Hong Zhang
Massachusetts General Hospital Cancer Center, Charlestown, MA 02129, USA
Curr Biol 13:1625-9. 2003..The contribution of PlGF toward stromal signals that regulate epithelial differentiation suggests novel functions for a growth factor previously implicated in reactive angiogenesis...
- SIGNAL TRANSDUCTION IN VERTEBRATE EMBRYOGENESISFRANKLIN COSTANTINI; Fiscal Year: 2001..Finally, new types of mutants and transgenic mice will be generated to study the role of Fused in mouse embryogenesis. ..
- The Role of RET in SpermatogenesisCathy Naughton; Fiscal Year: 2005..The translation to human disease will be achieved by studying RET expression in male infertility cases of maturation arrest. ..
- Optimizing Testis Transplantation to Study RET SignalingCathy Naughton; Fiscal Year: 2005..Determining how Ret affects testicular function will add to our understanding of human male infertility and may provide an avenue for new treatment strategies for infertile men with nonobstructive azoospermia. ..
- Transcription Factor P53 in Terminal Nephron DifferentZubaida Saifudeen; Fiscal Year: 2004..The results of this work will provide information on what determines terminal renal differentiation. In addition, these data will advance our understanding of the role the tumor suppressor p53 in kidney development...
- SIGNAL TRANSDUCTION IN VERTEBRATE EMBRYOGENESISFRANKLIN COSTANTINI; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Mitochondrial Dysfunction in Down's SyndromeJORGE A BUSCIGLIO; Fiscal Year: 2010..DS that may be critical to understand the role of energy impairment in neurodegenerativedisorders, and to design therapies directed to prevent neuronal dysfunction and the progression of AD neuropathology in DS patients ..