Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Galk1
Description: galactokinase 1
Alias: AA409894, GALK, Glk, Glk1, galactokinase, galactose kinase
- Glk: a locus controlling galactokinase activity in the mouseJ D Mishkin
Biochem Genet 14:635-40. 1976Inbred strains of mice exhibited significant variation in whole blood galactokinase (GALK) activity. Activities tend to cluster into two classes, one class having approximately twice the activity of the other...
- Transcriptional control of genes that regulate glycolysis and gluconeogenesis in adult liverF P Lemaigre
Hormone and Metabolic Research Unit, University of Louvain Medical School, Brussels, Belgium
Biochem J 303:1-14. 1994
- The locus controlling pineal serotonin N-acetyltransferase activity (Nat-2) is located on mouse chromosome 11M Goto
Department of Animal Physiology, Faculty of Agriculture, Nagoya University, Japan
Brain Res Mol Brain Res 21:349-54. 1994..a close linkage on chromosome 11 was found between Nat-2, Es-3 (esterase-3), Glk (the locus controlling galactokinase activity) and Myla (myosin alkali light chains expressed in cardiac atrial muscle)...
- Cloning and characterization of a mouse 3-methyladenine/7-methyl-guanine/3-methylguanine DNA glycosylase cDNA whose gene maps to chromosome 11B P Engelward
Department of Molecular and Cellular Toxicology, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, MA 02115
Carcinogenesis 14:175-81. 1993..Cloning the mouse 3MeA DNA glycosylase cDNA is a step toward understanding the role of this DNA repair enzyme in mammals...
- Mouse galactokinase: isolation, characterization, and location on chromosome 11Y Ai
Department of Ophthalmology, School of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia 19104, USA
Genome Res 5:53-9. 1995Elevated galactose levels can be caused by several enzyme defects, one of which is galactokinase. Galactokinase deficiency cause congenital cataracts during infancy and presenile cataracts in the adult population...
- Genetic mapping of the polycystic kidney gene, pcy, on mouse chromosome 9S Nagao
Laboratory Animal Center, Fujita Health University, Aichi, Japan
Biochem Genet 33:401-12. 1995..However, no recombinant was observed among pcy, D9Mit14, and D9Mit148. These findings strongly suggest that D9Mit14 and D9Mit148 are located near the pcy gene and are good markers for chromosomal walking to this gene...
- Chromosome mapping of the mouse Akt2 gene and Akt2 pseudogeneD A Altomare
Department of Medical Oncology, Fox Chase Cancer Center, Philadelphia, PA 19111, USA
Cytogenet Cell Genet 74:248-51. 1996..The Akt2 pseudogene was mapped to proximal MMU11 by both multilocus mapping and fluorescence in situ hybridization...
- Physical and linkage mapping of human chromosome 17 loci to dog chromosomes 9 and 5P Werner
Center for Comparative Medical Genetics, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia 19104 6010, USA
Genomics 42:74-82. 1997..mapped to the centromeric two-thirds of dog chromosome 9 (CFA9), an acrocentric chromosome of medium size: P4HB, GALK1, TK1, GH1, MYL4, BRCA1, RARA, THRA1, MPO, NF1, and CRYBA1...
- Loss of adenylyl cyclase I activity disrupts patterning of mouse somatosensory cortexR M Abdel-Majid
Department of Anatomy and Neurobiology, Faculty of Medicine, Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Nat Genet 19:289-91. 1998..These results provide the first evidence for involvement of cAMP signalling pathways in pattern formation of the brain...
- A mouse model of galactose-induced cataractsY Ai
Department of Ophthalmology and Genetics, University of Pennsylvania, Room 313 Stellar Chance, 422 Curie Boulevard, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Hum Mol Genet 9:1821-7. 2000b>Galactokinase (GK; EC 18.104.22.168) is the first enzyme in the metabolism of galactose. In humans, GK deficiency results in congenital cataracts due to an accumulation of galactitol within the lens...
- The murine atrial myosin light chain-2 gene: a member of an evolutionarily conserved family of contractile proteinsP A Doevendans
Department of Cardiology, Academic Hospital Maastricht, The Netherlands
Cytogenet Cell Genet 90:248-52. 2000..The intron-exon boundaries turned out to be highly conserved and an increasing intron size in more complex mammalian species was found. At the amino acid level there is 95% homology between the human and mouse MLC-2a sequence...
- Identification and characterization of a new pair of immunoglobulin-like receptors LMIR1 and 2 derived from murine bone marrow-derived mast cellsHidetoshi Kumagai
Division of Hematopoietic Factors, The Advanced Clinical Research Center, The Institute of Medical Science, The University of Tokyo, 6 1 Shirokanedai 4 chome, Minato ku, Tokyo 108 8639, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 307:719-29. 2003..These findings suggest that a new pair of ITIM/ITAM-bearing receptors, LMIR1 and 2, regulate mast cell-mediated inflammatory responses through yet to be defined ligand(s)...
- Galactitol and galactonate accumulation in heart and skeletal muscle of mice with deficiency of galactose-1-phosphate uridyltransferaseClaire Yager
Metabolic Research Laboratory, The Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, and the Department of Pediatrics, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Mol Genet Metab 81:105-11. 2004..The ability of heart and muscle to form galactonate may also contribute to the G/G mouse's ability to slowly oxidize galactose to CO2, since the compound is an intermediate in an alternate route for galactose disposition...
- Developmental regulation of galactokinase in suckling mouse liver by the Egr-1 transcription factorFang Yang
Pediatric Endocrine Unit, MassGeneral Hospital for Children, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Pediatr Res 55:822-9. 2004..In screening the sequences of the genes involved in lactose assimilation, we found that the galactokinase gene Glk contains four potential Egr-1 binding sites in its proximal promoter...
- Diabetic modifier QTLs identified in F2 intercrosses between Akita and A/J miceShigeru Takeshita
Department of Diabetes, Pharmacology Research Laboratories, Astellas Pharma Inc, Ibaraki, Japan
Mamm Genome 17:927-40. 2006..Identification of the genes responsible for these QTLs would provide new drug development targets for human T2D...
- Ileal lipid-binding protein (Illbp) gene maps to mouse chromosome 11E H Birkenmeier
Jackson Laboratory, Bar Harbor, Maine 04609
Mamm Genome 5:805-6. 1994
- Interleukin 3 stimulates protein synthesis by regulating double-stranded RNA-dependent protein kinaseT Ito
Johns Hopkins Oncology Center, Baltimore, MD 21231
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 91:7455-9. 1994..Thus, IL-3 appears to positively regulate protein synthesis by inducing the inactivation of PKR in a growth factor signaling pathway...
- Evidence for unequal crossing over within the mouse T/t complexL M Silver
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 77:6077-80. 1980..This could account for both the suppression of normal recombination along the stretch of t chromatin and the frequent unequal crossing over when rare recombinational events do take place...
- Synteny of the genes for thymidine kinase and galactokinase in the mouse and their assignment to mouse chromosome 11P McBreen
Cytogenet Cell Genet 19:7-13. 1977We have studied the expression of mouse galactokinase in human-mouse somatic cell hybrids segregating mouse chromosomes...
- Assignment of the genes for thymidine kinase and galactokinase to Mus musculus chromosome 11 and the preferential segregation of this chromosome in Chinese hamster/mouse somatic cell hybridsC A Kozak
Somatic Cell Genet 3:121-33. 1977
- Conservation of autosomal gene synteny groups in mouse and manP A Lalley
Nature 274:160-3. 1978
- Linkage of acid alpha-glucosidase (Gaa) and thymidine kinase (Tk-1) to esterase-3 (Es-3) on mouse chromosome 11F Martiniuk
Department of Medicine, New York University Medical Center, New York 10016
Mamm Genome 1:267-9. 1991..This result extends the region of homology between mouse Chr 11 and human chr 17q...
- A family of type I keratin genes and the homeobox-2 gene complex are closely linked to the rex locus on mouse chromosome 11J H Nadeau
Jackson Laboratory, Bar Harbor, Maine 04609
Genomics 5:454-62. 1989....
- Chromosomal and regional localization of the genes for UMPH2, APRT, PEPD, PEPS, PSP, and PGP in mink: comparison with man and mouseS D Pack
Institute of Cytology and Genetics, Academy of Sciences of the USSR, Siberian Department, Novosibirsk
Cytogenet Cell Genet 50:127-31. 1989..The present data is compared with that previously established for man and mouse with reference to the conservation of syntenic gene groups and G-band homoeologies of chromosomes in mammals...
- The Hox-2 homeo box gene complex on mouse chromosome 11 is closely linked to ReC P Hart
Department of Biology, Yale University, New Haven, Connecticut 06511
Genetics 118:319-27. 1988..The results place the Hoax-2 locus approximately 1 cM from the rex (Re) locus on mouse chromosome 11...
- Investigation of genetic linkage between myosin and actin genes using an interspecific mouse back-crossB Robert
Nature 314:181-3. 1985..No linkage between these genes was observed...
- Provisional assignment of the gene for uridine monophosphatase-2 (Umph-2) to mouse chromosome 11D E Wilson
Biochem Genet 25:1-6. 1987..Umph-2 cosegregated with the mouse galactokinase (Glk) gene in 23 of the 24 hybrids and showed at least four discordances with all other mouse marker isozymes ..
- The physical map of Mus musculus chromosome 11 reveals evolutionary relationships with different syntenic groups of genes in Homo sapiensM Münke
Department of Human Genetics, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06510
J Mol Evol 25:134-40. 1987..The delineation of conserved chromosome regions has important implications for the understanding of karyotype evolution in mammalian species and for the development of animal models of human genetic diseases...
- Cellular homologs of the avian erythroblastosis virus erb-A and erb-B genes are syntenic in mouse but asyntenic in manB U Zabel
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 81:4874-8. 1984..We found c-erb-A sequences on human chromosome 17 (17p11----qter) and located c-erb-B on human chromosome 7 (7pter----q22). In contrast, both c-erb-A and c-erb-B reside on mouse chromosome 11...
- The genes for growth hormone and chorionic somatomammotropin are on the long arm of human chromosome 17 in region q21 to qterD L George
Hum Genet 57:138-41. 1981..Analysis of mouse x human hybrid cells containing only part of the long arm of chromosome 17 enabled us to localize these genes to region 17q21 to 17qter...
- Characterization of a recombinant mouse T haplotype that expresses a dominant lethal maternal effectH Winking
Genetics 108:1013-20. 1984..The results presented here allow a mapping of the Tme locus between the quaking and tufted loci which are 3 cM apart within the proximal region of chromosome 17...
- Multigene family for sarcomeric myosin heavy chain in mouse and human DNA: localization on a single chromosomeL A Leinwand
Science 221:766-9. 1983..A synteny between myosin heavy chain and two unrelated markers, thymidine kinase and galactokinase, was found to be preserved in the rodent and human genomes.
- Hepatoblast-like cells enriched from mouse embryonic stem cells in medium without glucose, pyruvate, arginine, and tyrosineMinoru Tomizawa
Department of Medicine and Clinical Oncology, Graduate School of Medicine, Chiba University, 1 8 1 Inohana, Chuo Ku, Chiba City, Chiba, 260 8670, Japan
Cell Tissue Res 333:17-27. 2008..Since only hepatocytes have the activity of ornithine transcarbamylase, phenylalanine hydroxylase, galactokinase, and glycerol kinase, we expected that hepatocytes would be enriched in a medium without arginine, tyrosine, ..