Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Gad2
Description: glutamic acid decarboxylase 2
Alias: 6330404F12Rik, GAD(65), GAD65, Gad-2, glutamate decarboxylase 2, 65 kDa glutamic acid decarboxylase, GAD-65, glutamate decarboxylase 65 kDa isoform
Publications119 found, 100 shown here
- Mice lacking the 65 kDa isoform of glutamic acid decarboxylase (GAD65) maintain normal levels of GAD67 and GABA in their brains but are susceptible to seizuresH Asada
Laboratory of Neurochemistry, National Institute for Physiological Sciences, Myodaiji, Okazaki, Aichi, 444, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 229:891-5. 1996..the 65 kDa isoform of the gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA)-synthesizing enzyme, glutamic acid decarboxylase (GAD), GAD65, was targeted in mice by homologous recombination...
- Hypercapnic ventilatory response in mice lacking the 65 kDa isoform of Glutamic Acid Decarboxylase (GAD65)John M Bissonnette
Department of Obstetrics, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, OR 97201, USA
Respir Res 5:3. 2004..In mice lacking GAD65 the release of GABA during sustained synaptic activation is reduced...
- CREB-Dependent Regulation of GAD65 Transcription by BDNF/TrkB in Cortical InterneuronsCarlos Sánchez-Huertas
Instituto de Neurociencias de Alicante, Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Científicas and Universidad Miguel Hernández, 03550 Sant Joan d Alacant, Spain
Cereb Cortex 21:777-88. 2011..Previous studies have suggested that the expression levels of the rate-limiting GABA synthetic enzyme, GAD65, depend on brain derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF)/TrkB activation...
- Visual deprivation decreases somatic GAD65 puncta number on layer 2/3 pyramidal neurons in mouse visual cortexAlicja Kreczko
Department of Biology, University of Maryland, College Park, 20742, USA
Neural Plast 2009:415135. 2009..mice expressing yellow fluorescence protein (YFP) in a subset of neurons, we found that the number of somatic GAD65-puncta on individual layer 2/3 pyramidal neurons is reduced when mice are dark-reared from birth and reverted to ..
- Expression of disrupted in schizophrenia 1 (DISC1) protein in the adult and developing mouse brain indicates its role in neurodevelopmentI L Schurov
Merck Sharp and Dohme, The Neuroscience Research Centre, Terlings Park, Harlow, Essex CM20 2QR, UK
Mol Psychiatry 9:1100-10. 2004..Together, these results suggest that DISC1 may play a critical role in brain development, consistent with the neurodevelopmental hypothesis of the etiology of schizophrenia...
- Induction of autoimmune diabetes through insulin (but not GAD65) DNA vaccination in nonobese diabetic and in RIP-B7.1 miceWolfram Karges
Division of Endocrinology, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Ulm, Ulm, Germany
Diabetes 51:3237-44. 2002..In contrast, GAD65 DNA conferred partial diabetes protection, and empty DNA plasmid was without effect. In RIP-B7...
- Expression of the neuronal calcium sensor protein NCS-1 in the developing mouse olfactory pathwayHelen B Treloar
Department of Neurosurgery, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06520 8082, USA
J Comp Neurol 482:201-16. 2005..Together, these data suggest multiple and overlapping roles of NCS-1 in the developing and mature olfactory system...
- Expression of coiled-coil protein 1, a novel gene downstream of FGF2, in the developing brainFrancesca Pellicano
Beatson Laboratories for Cancer Research, Division of Cancer Sciences and Molecular Pathology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Glasgow, Garscube Estate, Switchback Road, Bearsden, Glasgow G61 1BD, UK
Gene Expr Patterns 6:285-93. 2006..We observed that the expressed ccp1 protein was localised to endo/lysosomal compartment in the cell body as well as to vesicles present in the processes of primary cortical neurons and oligodendrocyte cell line...
- Absence of autoantibodies against glutamate decarboxylase (GAD) in the non-obese diabetic (NOD) mouse and low expression of the enzyme in mouse isletsL A Velloso
Department of Internal Medicine, Uppsala University, Sweden
Clin Exp Immunol 96:129-37. 1994....
- Differential expression of GAD65 and GAD67 in human, rat, and mouse pancreatic isletsJ Kim
Department of Medicine, University of California at San Francisco 94143 0534
Diabetes 42:1799-808. 1993The smaller form of the autoantigen glutamic acid decarboxylase, GAD65 (formerly the 64,000 M(r) autoantigen), is a major target of humoral autoimmunity in type I diabetes...
- Modulating autoimmune responses to GAD inhibits disease progression and prolongs islet graft survival in diabetes-prone miceJ Tian
Department of Molecular and Medical Pharmacology, University of California Los Angeles 90095, USA
Nat Med 2:1348-53. 1996..Immune deviation of T-cell responses to the beta-cell autoantigen glutamate decarboxylase (GAD65), induced an active form of self-tolerance that was associated with an inhibition of disease progression in ..
- Cleft palate and decreased brain gamma-aminobutyric acid in mice lacking the 67-kDa isoform of glutamic acid decarboxylaseH Asada
Laboratory of Neurochemistry, National Institute for Physiological Sciences, Myodaiji cho, Okazaki 444, Japan
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 94:6496-9. 1997..GABA is synthesized by glutamic acid decarboxylase (GAD), but the respective roles of its two isoforms (GAD65 and 67) have not been determined...
- Epilepsy in mice deficient in the 65-kDa isoform of glutamic acid decarboxylaseS F Kash
Department of Medicine, School of Medicine, University of California at San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 94:14060-5. 1997..major inhibitory neurotransmitter in the mammalian brain, is synthesized by two glutamate decarboxylase isoforms, GAD65 and GAD67...
- Widespread expression of an autoantigen-GAD65 transgene does not tolerize non-obese diabetic mice and can exacerbate diseaseL Geng
Department of Molecular Cellular and Developmental Biology, Yale University Kline Biology Tower 219 Prospect Street, New Haven, CT 06520, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 95:10055-60. 1998..In an attempt to establish immunological tolerance toward GAD65 in NOD mice, and thereby to test the importance of GAD in IDDM, we generated three lines transgenic for murine ..
- Synaptic localization of the 67,000 mol. wt isoform of glutamate decarboxylase and transmitter function of GABA in the mouse cerebellum lacking the 65,000 mol. wt isoformK Obata
Laboratory of Neurochemistry, National Institute for Physiological Sciences, Okazaki, Japan
Neuroscience 93:1475-82. 1999....
- Domain-restricted expression of two glutamic acid decarboxylase genes in midgestation mouse embryosZ Katarova
BRC, Institute of Biochemistry, 6701 Szeged, Hungary
J Comp Neurol 424:607-27. 2000..In this paper, the authors studied the cellular distribution of two GAD isoforms, GAD65 and GAD67, in midgestation mouse embryos by in situ hybridization histochemistry...
- MHC class I-restricted determinants on the glutamic acid decarboxylase 65 molecule induce spontaneous CTL activityA Quinn
Division of Immune Regulation, La Jolla Institute for Allergy and Immunology, 10355 Science Center Drive, San Diego, CA 92121, USA
J Immunol 167:1748-57. 2001CD4(+) T cell responses to glutamic acid decarboxylase (GAD65) spontaneously arise in nonobese diabetic (NOD) mice before the onset of insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus (IDDM) and may be critical to the pathogenic process...
- CD4(+) T cells from glutamic acid decarboxylase (GAD)65-specific T cell receptor transgenic mice are not diabetogenic and can delay diabetes transferKristin V Tarbell
Program in Immunology, Department of Pathology, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
J Exp Med 196:481-92. 2002..However, the exact role of GAD65-specific T cells in diabetes pathogenesis is unclear...
- Dlx1, Dlx2, Pax6, Brn3b, and Chx10 homeobox gene expression defines the retinal ganglion and inner nuclear layers of the developing and adult mouse retinaJimmy de Melo
Manitoba Institute of Cell Biology, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Manitoba R3E 0V9, Canada
J Comp Neurol 461:187-204. 2003....
- Normal incidence of diabetes in NOD mice tolerant to glutamic acid decarboxylaseElmar Jaeckel
Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Exp Med 197:1635-44. 2003..In spite of specific tolerance insulitis and diabetes occurred with normal kinetics indicating that GAD is not an essential autoantigen in the pathogenesis of diabetes...
- Rapid critical period induction by tonic inhibition in visual cortexYouichi Iwai
Laboratory for Neuronal Circuit Development, The Institute of Physical and Chemical Research RIKEN Brain Science Institute, Saitama 351 0198, Japan
J Neurosci 23:6695-702. 2003Mice lacking a synaptic isoform of glutamic acid decarboxylase (GAD65) do not exhibit ocular dominance plasticity unless an appropriate level of GABAergic transmission is restored by direct infusion of benzodiazepines into the brain...
- Dlx2 progenitor migration in wild type and Nkx2.1 mutant telencephalonSusana Nery
Developmental Genetics Program and the Department of Cell Biology, The Skirball Institute of Biomolecular Medicine, New York University Medical Center, 540 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016, USA
Cereb Cortex 13:895-903. 2003..This recovery may be, at least in part, a result of the late migration of Dlx2 progenitors from the caudal ganglionic eminences (CGE), which, based on our previous work, does not appear to require Nkx2.1 gene function...
- A shared vesicular carrier allows synaptic corelease of GABA and glycineSonja M Wojcik
Department of Molecular Neurobiology, Max Planck Institute of Experimental Medicine, D 37075 Gottingen, Germany
Neuron 50:575-87. 2006..Since GABA and glycine compete for vesicular uptake, these data point to a close association of Viaat with GABA-synthesizing enzymes as a key factor in specifying GABAergic neuronal phenotypes...
- Megane/Heslike is required for normal GABAergic differentiation in the mouse superior colliculusJordi Guimera
GSF National Research Center for Environment and Health, Institute of Developmental Genetics, 35 8006, Ingolstädter Landstrasse, 1, Neuherberg, Germany
Development 133:3847-57. 2006..Mgn-null mice die between the second and the fifth postnatal week of age, and show a complete depletion of Gad65 and Gad67 expression in the superior colliculus and a reduction in the inferior colliculus...
- Requirement for Bhlhb5 in the specification of amacrine and cone bipolar subtypes in mouse retinaLiang Feng
Center for Aging and Developmental Biology, University of Rochester, Rochester, NY 14642, USA
Development 133:4815-25. 2006..Our results reveal that a bHLH transcription factor cascade is involved in regulating retinal cell differentiation and imply that Bhlhb5 functions downstream of retinogenic factors to specify bipolar and amacrine subtypes...
- Optimization of somatic inhibition at critical period onset in mouse visual cortexHiroyuki Katagiri
Laboratory for Neuronal Circuit Development, RIKEN Brain Science Institute, 2 1 Hirosawa, Wako Shi, Saitama 351 0198, Japan
Neuron 53:805-12. 2007..Combining GAD65 deletion with dark rearing from birth confirmed that an intermediate number of SPD receptors enable plasticity...
- Mis-expression of L1 on pre-crossing spinal commissural axons disrupts pathfinding at the ventral midlineRalph Imondi
Department of Neuroscience, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, 1410 Pelham Parkway South, Bronx, NY 10461, USA
Mol Cell Neurosci 36:462-71. 2007..These observations suggest that L1-mediated pathfinding decisions are normally delayed until axons have crossed the ventral midline (VM)...
- BARHL2 differentially regulates the development of retinal amacrine and ganglion neuronsQian Ding
University of Rochester Eye Institute, University of Rochester, Rochester, New York 14642, USA
J Neurosci 29:3992-4003. 2009..Thus, BARHL2 appears to have numerous roles in retinal development, including regulating neuronal subtype specification, differentiation, and survival...
- Thermal hyperalgesia via supraspinal mechanisms in mice lacking glutamate decarboxylase 65Kazuhiro Kubo
Department of Anesthesiology, Gunma University Graduate School of Medicine, Maebashi City, Japan
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 331:162-9. 2009..However, the roles of a 65-kDa isoform of GAD (GAD65)-mediated GABA in nociceptive processing are less clear...
- Subtype specification of GABAergic amacrine cells by the orphan nuclear receptor Nr4a2/Nurr1Haisong Jiang
Center for Advanced Biotechnology and Medicine, Department of Pediatrics, and Graduate Program in Molecular Genetics and Microbiology, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, Piscataway, NJ 08854, USA
J Neurosci 29:10449-59. 2009....
- Central nervous system destruction mediated by glutamic acid decarboxylase-specific CD4+ T cellsAmanda R Burton
Department of Immunology, St Jude Children s Research Hospital, 262 Danny Thomas Place, Memphis, TN 38105 3678, USA
J Immunol 184:4863-70. 2010..Although there is a considerable amount of data focusing on the role of GAD65-specific CD4(+) T cells in type 1 diabetes, little is known about their role in SPS...
- Early B-cell factors are required for specifying multiple retinal cell types and subtypes from postmitotic precursorsKangxin Jin
Center for Advanced Biotechnology and Medicine and Department of Pediatrics, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, Piscataway, New Jersey 08854, USA
J Neurosci 30:11902-16. 2010....
- GAD65 is essential for synthesis of GABA destined for tonic inhibition regulating epileptiform activityAnne B Walls
Department of Neuroscience, Faculty of Medicine, Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Norway
J Neurochem 115:1398-408. 2010GABA is synthesized from glutamate by glutamate decarboxylase (GAD), which exists in two isoforms, that is, GAD65 and GAD67...
- A resource of Cre driver lines for genetic targeting of GABAergic neurons in cerebral cortexHiroki Taniguchi
Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, Cold Spring Harbor, NY 11724, USA
Neuron 71:995-1013. 2011..As such, this approach will accelerate the study of GABAergic circuits throughout the mammalian brain...
- Lateral regions of the rodent striatum reveal elevated glutamate decarboxylase 1 mRNA expression in medium-sized projection neuronsStefan Trifonov
Department of Anatomy and Brain Science, Kansai Medical University, Moriguchi, Osaka 570 8506, Japan
Eur J Neurosci 35:711-22. 2012The GABA-synthesizing enzymes glutamate decarboxylase (GAD)1 and GAD2 are universally contained in GABAergic neurons in the central nervous system of the mouse and rat...
- Glutamate decarboxylase and GABA in pancreatic islets: lessons from knock-out miceS F Kash
Department of Medicine, and Hormone Research Institute, University of California San Francisco, 94143 0534, USA
Horm Metab Res 31:340-4. 1999..predominantly express the larger isoform of the enzyme, GAD67, and very low levels of the second isoform, GAD65. Yet GAD65 has been shown to be a target of very early autoimmune T-cell responses associated with beta-cell ..
- Engrailed-1 and netrin-1 regulate axon pathfinding by association interneurons that project to motor neuronsH Saueressig
Molecular Neurobiology Laboratory, The Salk Institute, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Development 126:4201-12. 1999....
- Inhibitory threshold for critical-period activation in primary visual cortexM Fagiolini
Laboratory for Neuronal Circuit Development, Brain Science Institute RIKEN, Saitama, Japan
Nature 404:183-6. 2000..In mice of all ages lacking an isoform of GABA (gamma-aminobutyric acid) synthetic enzyme (GAD65), as well as in immature wild-type animals before the onset of their natural critical period, benzodiazepines ..
- Mouse histamine N-methyltransferase: cDNA cloning, expression, gene cloning and chromosomal localizationL Wang
Department of Molecular Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, Mayo Graduate School Mayo Clinic Mayo Foundation, Rochester, MN 55905 USA
Inflamm Res 50:300-8. 2001..We set out to clone a mouse liver HNMT cDNA and the mouse HNMT gene as steps toward characterizing molecular genetic mechanisms involved in the regulation of this important histamine-metabolizing enzyme...
- Severe defects in dorsal thalamic development in low-density lipoprotein receptor-related protein-6 mutantsCheng Ji Zhou
Department of Neurology, Program in Neuroscience, University of California, San Francisco 94143 0435, USA
J Neurosci 24:7632-9. 2004..This study provides compelling in vivo evidence that thalamic development requires normal activity of the LRP6-mediated canonical Wnt signaling pathway...
- Role of glutamate decarboxylase (GAD) isoform, GAD65, in GABA synthesis and transport into synaptic vesicles-Evidence from GAD65-knockout mice studiesHeng Wu
Department of Biomedical Science, Florida Atlantic University, Boca Raton, FL 33431, USA
Brain Res 1154:80-3. 2007In GAD65-knockout mice, lack of GAD65 expression was confirmed. The expression level of vesicular GABA transporter (VGAT) was upregulated, and no change in the synaptic vesicles (SV)-associated GAD67 was found...
- Induction of anti-whole GAD65 reactivity in vivo results in disease suppression in type 1 diabetesYasuhiko Kanazawa
Department of Internal Medicine, Keio University School of Medicine, Shimanomachi Shinjuku ku, Tokyo, Japan
J Autoimmun 32:104-9. 2009..of type 1 diabetes is still controversial, we investigated the disease phenotype upon in vivo induction of whole GAD65 reactivity using a GAD65 homo knockout NOD splenocytes to NOD-scid transfer system...
- IGF-I promotes neuronal migration and positioning in the olfactory bulb and the exit of neuroblasts from the subventricular zoneAnahí Hurtado-Chong
Instituto Cajal, Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Cientificas, Madrid, Spain
Eur J Neurosci 30:742-55. 2009..These findings suggest that IGF-I promotes neuronal positioning in the OB and support a role for IGF-I in stimulating neuroblast exit from the SVZ into the RMS, thereby promoting the incorporation of newly formed neurons into the OB...
- Reduced cortical BDNF expression and aberrant memory in Carf knock-out miceKelli A McDowell
Department of Neurobiology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
J Neurosci 30:7453-65. 2010..Together, these data reveal novel roles for CaRF in the organization and/or function of neural circuits that underlie essential aspects of learning and memory...
- RNG105 deficiency impairs the dendritic localization of mRNAs for Na+/K+ ATPase subunit isoforms and leads to the degeneration of neuronal networksNobuyuki Shiina
Structural Biology Center, National Institute of Genetics, Research Organization of Information and Systems, and Department of Genetics, SOKENDAI, Mishima, Shizuoka 411 8540, Japan
J Neurosci 30:12816-30. 2010..The present study first demonstrates the in vivo role of RNG105 in the dendritic localization of mRNAs and uncovers a novel link between dendritic mRNA localization and the development and maintenance of functional networks...
- Generation and characterization of Tmeff2 mutant miceTian Rui Chen
Department of Cell Biology, Duke University Medical Center, Box 3709, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 425:189-94. 2012..No tumors were found in Tmeff2-mutant mice. The Tmeff2(PLAP/PLAP) knock-in mouse is an useful tool for studying the in vivo biological functions of TMEFF2...
- Immunoreactivity for GABA, GAD65, GAD67 and Bestrophin-1 in the meninges and the choroid plexus: implications for non-neuronal sources for GABA in the developing mouse brainShiro Tochitani
Department of Anatomy and Developmental Neurobiology, Institute of Health Biosciences, The University of Tokushima Graduate School, Tokushima, Japan
PLoS ONE 8:e56901. 2013..Immunohistochemical analyses showed that glutamic acid decarboxylase 65 and 67 (GAD65 and GAD67), both of which are GABA-synthesizing enzymes, are expressed in the meninges...
- Immunocytochemical identification of electroneutral Na⁺-coupled HCO₃⁻ transporters in freshly dissociated mouse medullary raphé neuronsA A Coley
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
Neuroscience 246:451-67. 2013..protein-2 monoclonal antibody) and specifically 5HT neurons (TPH monoclonal antibody) or GABAergic neurons (GAD2 monoclonal antibody) in freshly dissociated cells from the mouse MR...
- Endothelial VEGF sculpts cortical cytoarchitectureSuyan Li
Angiogenesis and Brain Development Laboratory, Division of Basic Neuroscience, McLean Hospital Harvard Medical School, Belmont, Massachusetts 02478, Vascular Cell Biology Unit, Department for Molecular Biomedical Research, VIB, B 9052 Ghent, Belgium, Department for Biomedical Molecular Biology, Ghent University, B 9052 Ghent, Belgium, and Australian Centre for Blood Diseases, Monash University, Melbourne, VIC 3004, Australia
J Neurosci 33:14809-15. 2013..The unique roles of endothelial VEGF cannot be compensated by neuronal VEGF and underscores the high functional significance of endothelial VEGF for cerebral cortex development and from disease perspectives. ..
- Deprivation-induced strengthening of presynaptic and postsynaptic inhibitory transmission in layer 4 of visual cortex during the critical periodMarc Nahmani
Department of Biology and Center for Behavioral Genomics, Brandeis University, Waltham, Massachusetts 02454
J Neurosci 34:2571-82. 2014..at the ultrastructural level, FS→SP synapses in deprived hemispheres during the CP, but not the pre-CP or in GAD65 knock-out mice, had larger synapses and increased docked vesicle density compared with synapses from the ..
- Presynaptic inhibition of spinal sensory feedback ensures smooth movementAndrew J P Fink
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Kavli Institute for Brain Science, Mortimer B Zuckerman Mind Brain Behavior Institute, Departments of Neuroscience and Biochemistry and Molecular Biophysics, Columbia University, New York, New York 10032, USA
Nature 509:43-8. 2014..We used Gad2 as a genetic entry point to manipulate the interneurons that contact sensory terminals, and show that activation of ..
- PTEN action in leukaemia dictated by the tissue microenvironmentCornelius Miething
1 Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, New York 10065, USA 2 Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, Cold Spring Harbor, New York 11724, USA 3 Department of Medicine I, Medical Center University of Freiburg, 79106 Freiburg, Germany
Nature 510:402-6. 2014..They further reveal that the role of PTEN loss in tumour maintenance is not invariant and can be influenced by the tissue microenvironment, thereby producing a form of intratumoral heterogeneity that is independent of cancer genotype. ..
- Parvalbumin and GAD65 interneuron inhibition in the ventral hippocampus induces distinct behavioral deficits relevant to schizophreniaRobin Nguyen
Department of Psychology and
J Neurosci 34:14948-60. 2014..behavioral function of two different but overlapping populations of vHPC GABA neurons that express either PV or GAD65 by selectively inhibiting these neurons with the pharmacogenetic neuromodulator hM4D...
- GIRK Channels Modulate Opioid-Induced Motor Activity in a Cell Type- and Subunit-Dependent MannerLydia Kotecki
Department of Pharmacology and
J Neurosci 35:7131-42. 2015..Collectively, these data support the contention that the unique GIRK channel subtype in VTA DA neurons, the GIRK2/GIRK3 heteromer, regulates the sensitivity of the mouse mesolimbic DA system to drugs with addictive potential. ..
- A novel inhibitory nucleo-cortical circuit controls cerebellar Golgi cell activityLea Ankri
Department of Neurobiology, Edmond and Lily Safra Center for Brain Sciences, Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Jerusalem, Israel
elife 4:. 2015..Our data suggest that the CN may contribute to the functional recruitment of the cerebellar cortex by decreasing Golgi cell inhibition onto granule cells. ..
- Adult mouse cortical cell taxonomy revealed by single cell transcriptomicsBosiljka Tasic
Allen Institute for Brain Science, Seattle, Washington, USA
Nat Neurosci 19:335-46. 2016....
- An Optogenetic Approach for Investigation of Excitatory and Inhibitory Network GABA Actions in Mice Expressing Channelrhodopsin-2 in GABAergic NeuronsGuzel Valeeva
Institut de Neurobiologie de la Mediterranee, Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale U 901, 13273 Marseille, France, Aix Marseille University, 13273 Marseille, France, and Laboratory of Neurobiology, Kazan Federal University, 420008 Kazan, Russia
J Neurosci 36:5961-73. 2016..and these mice display a developmental excitatory-to-inhibitory switch in GABA action in cortical slices in vitro, but so far show mainly inhibitory GABA actions on spontaneous EPSCs in the immature hippocampus and neocortex in vivo..
- Dynamin 1 isoform roles in a mouse model of severe childhood epileptic encephalopathySamuel Asinof
The Jackson Laboratory, Bar Harbor, ME 04609, United States
Neurobiol Dis 95:1-11. 2016..These results reveal functional differences between Dnm1a and Dnm1b isoforms in the presence of a challenge, i.e. toxic Dnm1(Ftfl), while reinforcing its effect explicitly in this model of severe pediatric epilepsy. ..
- MATH5 controls the acquisition of multiple retinal cell fatesLiang Feng
Flaum Eye Institute, University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry, Rochester, NY 14642, USA
Mol Brain 3:36. 2010..Collectively, these data suggest that Math5 regulates the generation of multiple retinal cell types via different mechanisms during retinogenesis...
- Nitric oxide signaling modulates synaptic transmission during early postnatal developmentCsaba Cserép
Laboratory of Cerebral Cortex Research, Department of Cellular and Network Neurobiology, Institute of Experimental Medicine, Hungarian Academy of Sciences, H 1083 Budapest, Hungary
Cereb Cortex 21:2065-74. 2011....
- GABA signaling promotes synapse elimination and axon pruning in developing cortical inhibitory interneuronsXiaoyun Wu
Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, Cold Spring Harbor, New York 11724, USA
J Neurosci 32:331-43. 2012..Therefore, GABA may regulate activity-dependent inhibitory synapse formation by coordinately eliminating certain nascent contacts while promoting the maturation of other nascent synapses...
- Behavioral actions of alcohol: phenotypic relations from multivariate analysis of mutant mouse dataY A Blednov
Waggoner Center for Alcohol and Addiction Research, Section on Neurobiology, Institute for Neuroscience, Institute for Cell and Molecular Biology, University of Texas at Austin, TX 78712, USA
Genes Brain Behav 11:424-35. 2012..We suggest that alcohol consumption is controlled by multiple physiological systems where single-gene mutations can disrupt the networks of such systems...
- Assignment of the rat genes coding for dopa decarboxylase (DDC) and glutamic acid decarboxylases (GAD1 and GAD2)C Vassort
Laboratoire de Biocheimie Cellulaire, College de France, Paris
Mamm Genome 4:202-6. 1993..PLP)-dependent decarboxylases--namely, DOPA-decarboxylase (Ddc), glutamic acid decarboxylase 1 and 2 (Gad1 and Gad2)--were assigned to rat Chromosomes (Chrs) 14, 3, and 17, respectively...
- Genetic mapping of the interleukin 1 receptor alpha and beta chain genes in the mouseC A Kozak
Laboratory of Molecular Microbiology, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 0460, USA
Mamm Genome 6:823-4. 1995
- A novel family of Cys-Cys, His-Cys zinc finger transcription factors expressed in developing nervous system and pituitary glandY Jiang
Department of Medicine, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, La Jolla, California, USA
J Biol Chem 271:10723-30. 1996..Identification of a second mouse gene highly homologous to NZF-1, encoded by a distinct genomic locus, reveals a dispersed gene family encoding proteins containing Cys-Cys, His-Cys motifs...
- Transcription and translation of two glutamate decarboxylase genes in the ileum of rat, mouse and guinea pigS Williamson
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, University of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
J Auton Nerv Syst 55:18-28. 1995..Two forms of GAD, designated GAD 65 and GAD 67, are encoded by distinct genes and have been demonstrated in the mammalian brain...
- Presence of calbindin D28K and GAD67 mRNAs in both orthotopic and ectopic Purkinje cells of staggerer mice suggests that staggerer acts after the onset of cytodifferentiationG D Frantz
Department of Biology, University of California, Los Angeles, USA
J Neurosci Res 44:255-62. 1996..Our data suggest that the sg/sg mutation does not interfere with the transcriptional activation of these two genes, and might therefore act after the induction of specific gene expression in developing Purkinje cells...
- Frequent provirus insertional mutagenesis of Notch1 in thymomas of MMTVD/myc transgenic mice suggests a collaboration of c-myc and Notch1 for oncogenesisL Girard
Laboratory of Molecular Biology, Clinical Research Institute of Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Genes Dev 10:1930-44. 1996..Furthermore, our data indicate that Notch1 alleles mutated by provirus insertion can lead to increased expression of truncated and full-length (330/280-kD) Notch1 proteins, both being produced in a cleaved and uncleaved form...
- Regional and cellular patterns of reelin mRNA expression in the forebrain of the developing and adult mouseS Alcantara
Department of Animal and Plant Cell Biology, Faculty of Biology, University of Barcelona, Barcelona 08028, Spain
J Neurosci 18:7779-99. 1998..We also performed double-labeling studies with several markers, including calcium-binding proteins, GAD65/67, and neuropeptides, to characterize the neuronal subsets that express reelin transcripts...
- Local GABA circuit control of experience-dependent plasticity in developing visual cortexT K Hensch
Laboratory for Neuronal Circuit Development, Brain Science Institute RIKEN, 2 1 Hirosawa, Wako Shi, Saitama 351 0198, Japan
Science 282:1504-8. 1998..Specific networks of inhibitory interneurons intrinsic to visual cortex may detect perturbations in sensory input to drive experience-dependent plasticity during development...
- Increased anxiety and altered responses to anxiolytics in mice deficient in the 65-kDa isoform of glutamic acid decarboxylaseS F Kash
Departments of Medicine and Microbiology Immunology, and Hormone Research Institute, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 96:1698-703. 1999..In contrast, the smaller isoform, GAD65, has been implicated in the fine-tuning of inhibitory neurotransmission...
- Insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus and its animal modelsF S Wong
Section of Immunobiology, Yale School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06520 8011, USA
Curr Opin Immunol 11:643-7. 1999..Further studies using transgenic mice have also highlighted the role of glutamic acid decarboxylase as an autoantigen. It remains to be seen whether one or both of these autoantigens can be used in strategies to prevent human diabetes...
- Postnatal development of a GABA deficit and disturbance of neural functions in mice lacking GAD65O Stork
Laboratory of Neurochemistry, National Institute for Physiological Sciences, Okazaki, Japan
Brain Res 865:45-58. 2000The 65-kDa isoform of glutamic acid decarboxylase (GAD65) is believed to play an essential role for GABA synthesis in the central nervous system...
- Structure of the mouse glutamate decarboxylase 65 gene and its promoter: preferential expression of its promoter in the GABAergic neurons of transgenic miceK Makinae
Department of Biochemistry, Institute of Development, Aging, and Cancer, Tohoku University, Sendai, Japan
J Neurochem 75:1429-37. 2000GABA is synthesized by glutamate decarboxylase (GAD), which has two forms, GAD65 and GAD67. To elucidate the molecular mechanisms of mouse GAD65 (mGAD65) gene expression, we isolated and characterized the mGAD65 gene...
- Ectopic expression of the Dlx genes induces glutamic acid decarboxylase and Dlx expressionThorsten Stühmer
Nina Ireland Laboratory of Developmental Neurobiology, Department of Psychiatry, LPPI, University of California at San Francisco, 401 Parnassus Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94143 0984, USA
Development 129:245-52. 2002..We also used this method to show cross-regulation between different Dlx family members. We find that Dlx2 can induce Dlx5 expression, and that Dlx1, Dlx2 and Dlx5 can induce expression from a Dlx5/6-lacZ enhancer/"reporter construct...
- Permissive proteolytic activity for visual cortical plasticityNobuko Mataga
Laboratory for Neuronal Circuit Development, Institute of Physical and Chemical Research RIKEN, Brain Science Institute, 2 1 Hirosawa, Wako Shi, Saitama, 351 0198, Japan
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99:7717-21. 2002....
- Absence of long-term depression in the visual cortex of glutamic Acid decarboxylase-65 knock-out miceSe Young Choi
Department of Neuroscience and Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Mind Brain Institute, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland 21218, USA
J Neurosci 22:5271-6. 2002..might control plasticity, we assessed the status of synaptic inhibition and LTD in visual cortical slices of GAD 65 knock-out mice...
- BDNF regulates spontaneous correlated activity at early developmental stages by increasing synaptogenesis and expression of the K+/Cl- co-transporter KCC2Fernando Aguado
Department of Cell Biology Faculty of Biology, and Barcelona Science Park, University of Barcelona, Barcelona 08028, Spain
Development 130:1267-80. 2003..Given that BDNF itself is regulated by neuronal activity, we suggest that BDNF acts as a homeostatic factor controlling the emergence, complexity and networking properties of spontaneous networks...
- Prepulse inhibition deficits in GAD65 knockout mice and the effect of antipsychotic treatmentScott A Heldt
Center for Behavioral Neuroscience, Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Emory University, Atlanta, GA 30329, USA
Neuropsychopharmacology 29:1610-9. 2004..startle habituation in knockout (KO) mice that lack the GABA synthesizing enzyme glutamic acid decarboxylase 65 (GAD 65)...
- Experience-dependent pruning of dendritic spines in visual cortex by tissue plasminogen activatorNobuko Mataga
Laboratory for Neuronal Circuit Development, Institute of Physical and Chemical Research RIKEN, Brain Science Institute, 2 1 Hirosawa, Wako Shi, Saitama 351 0198, Japan
Neuron 44:1031-41. 2004..Targeted disruption of tPA release or its upstream regulation by glutamic acid decarboxylase (GAD65) prevented MD-induced spine loss that was pharmacologically rescued concomitant with critical period plasticity...
- CNTF/LIF/gp130 receptor complex signaling maintains a VZ precursor differentiation gradient in the developing ventral forebrainChristopher Gregg
Genes and Development Research Group, Hotchkiss Brain Institute, University of Calgary Faculty of Medicine, 3330 Hospital Drive NW, Calgary, Alberta T2N 4N1, Canada
Development 132:565-78. 2005..These results demonstrate a novel region-specific role for CNTF/LIF/gp130 signaling in the development of the germinal layers of the embryonic telencephalon...
- Lbx1 and Tlx3 are opposing switches in determining GABAergic versus glutamatergic transmitter phenotypesLeping Cheng
Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Harvard Medical School, 1 Jimmy Fund Way, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Nat Neurosci 8:1510-5. 2005..These genetic studies suggest that Lbx1 expression defines a basal GABAergic differentiation state, and Tlx3 acts to antagonize Lbx1 to promote glutamatergic differentiation...
- Delayed development of adult-generated granule cells in dentate gyrusLinda S Overstreet-Wadiche
Vollum Institute, L474, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, Oregon 97239, USA
J Neurosci 26:2326-34. 2006..Consistent with this idea, maturation was altered in mice lacking the GABA synthetic enzyme GAD65 (glutamic acid decarboxylase 65)...
- Dominant CTL-inducing epitopes on GAD65 are adjacent to or overlap with dominant Th-inducing epitopesRhea Y Busick
Department of Biological Sciences, University of Toledo, 2801 W Bancroft, Toledo, OH 43606, USA
Clin Immunol 122:298-311. 2007Immune responses to GAD65 are associated with progression to T1D in NOD mice and humans. Our previous data suggested that dominant CTL-inducing and Th-inducing determinants might preferentially occur in proximal GAD65 sequences...
- Cerebellar GABAergic progenitors adopt an external granule cell-like phenotype in the absence of Ptf1a transcription factor expressionMarta Pascual
Institut de Recerca Biomèdica, Parc Cientific de Barcelona, Universitat de Barcelona, Josep Samitier 1 5, E 08028 Barcelona, Spain
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:5193-8. 2007..Moreover, our results suggest that Ptf1a is also required for the suppression of the granule cell specification program in cerebellar ventricular zone precursors...
- Respiratory activity in brainstem of fetal mice lacking glutamate decarboxylase 65/67 and vesicular GABA transporterM Fujii
Laboratory for Memory and Learning, RIKEN Brain Science Institute, Wako 351 0198, Japan
Neuroscience 146:1044-52. 2007..glycine in fetal respiratory function, we studied neural activities in brainstem-spinal cord blocks prepared from GAD65-/-:67-/- and vesicular GABA transporter (VGAT)-/-mice on embryonic day 14 (E14)-E15 and E18...
- GAD67-mediated GABA synthesis and signaling regulate inhibitory synaptic innervation in the visual cortexBidisha Chattopadhyaya
Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, Cold Spring Harbor, NY 11724, USA
Neuron 54:889-903. 2007..Germline knockdown of GAD67 but not GAD65 showed similar deficits, suggesting a specific role of GAD67 in the maturation of perisomatic innervation...
- Generation of mice with a conditional Foxp2 null alleleCatherine A French
The Wellcome Trust Centre for Human Genetics, University of Oxford, Oxford, United Kingdom
Genesis 45:440-6. 2007....
- Expression of the homeodomain transcription factor Meis2 in the embryonic and postnatal retinaKeely M Bumsted-O'Brien
Department of Neuroanatomy, Max Planck Institute for Brain Research, Deutschordenst 46, 60218 Frankfurt, Germany
J Comp Neurol 505:58-72. 2007....
- GAD isoforms exhibit distinct spatiotemporal expression patterns in the developing mouse lens: correlation with Dlx2 and Dlx5Andrea Kwakowsky
Department of Gene Technology and Developmental Neurobiology, Institute of Experimental Medicine, Hungarian Academy of Sciences, Budapest, Hungary
Dev Dyn 236:3532-44. 2007..We show that the GAD isoforms are sequentially induced with specific spatiotemporal profiles: GAD65 and embryonic GAD isoforms prevail in primary fibers, while GAD67 is the predominant GAD expressed in the ..
- Mice lacking the transcription factor Ikaros display behavioral alterations of an anti-depressive phenotypeTim Rasmus Kiehl
Department of Pathology, University Health Network, 610 University Avenue, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Exp Neurol 211:107-14. 2008....
- Co-regulation of ocular dominance plasticity and NMDA receptor subunit expression in glutamic acid decarboxylase-65 knock-out micePatrick O Kanold
Department of Neurobiology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Physiol 587:2857-67. 2009....
- Periphilin is strongly expressed in the murine nervous system and is indispensable for murine developmentAnne S Soehn
Department of Medical Genetics, University of Tuebingen, Tuebingen, Germany
Genesis 47:697-707. 2009..These results point to an indispensable function of periphilin during murine development and an important role in the nervous system, reflected by a strong and tightly regulated expression in the murine brain...
- Mice lacking Gad2 show altered behavioral effects of ethanol, flurazepam and gabaxadolYuri A Blednov
Waggoner Center for Alcohol and Addiction Research, University of Texas, 1 University Station, Austin, TX 78712 0159, USA
Addict Biol 15:45-61. 2010..Gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) is synthesized in brain by two isoforms of glutamic acid decarboxylase (Gad), Gad1 and Gad2. Gad1 provides most of the GABA in brain, but Gad2 can be rapidly activated in times of high GABA demand...
- Knockout of GAD65 has major impact on synaptic GABA synthesized from astrocyte-derived glutamineAnne B Walls
Department of Neuroscience, Faculty of Medicine, Norwegian University of Science and Technology NTNU, Trondheim, Norway
J Cereb Blood Flow Metab 31:494-503. 2011..acid (GABA) synthesis from glutamate is catalyzed by glutamate decarboxylase (GAD) of which two isoforms, GAD65 and GAD67, have been identified...
- Modulation of synaptic transmission from primary afferents to spinal substantia gelatinosa neurons by group III mGluRs in GAD65-EGFP transgenic miceLian Cui
Department of Physiology, Seoul National University College of Medicine, Yeongeon Dong, Jongro Gu, Seoul 110 799, Korea
J Neurophysiol 105:1102-11. 2011..By GABA immunolabeling, we confirmed the majority of GAD65-EGFP-expressing neurons were GABAergic...
- Neurod6 expression defines new retinal amacrine cell subtypes and regulates their fateJeremy N Kay
Center for Brain Science, Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA
Nat Neurosci 14:965-72. 2011..Our results support the view that cell fate decisions made in progenitors and their progeny act together to diversify ACs...
- Epigenetic suppression of GAD65 expression mediates persistent painZhi Zhang
Department of Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine, University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas, USA
Nat Med 17:1448-55. 2011..inflammatory and neuropathic pain epigenetically suppresses Gad2 (encoding glutamic acid decarboxylase 65 (GAD65)) transcription through histone deacetylase (HDAC)-mediated histone hypoacetylation, resulting in impaired γ-..
- Electroencephalographic correlates of the audiogenic seizure response of inbred miceS C Maxson
Physiol Behav 16:623-9. 1976
- Localization and quantitation of expression of two glutamate decarboxylase genes in pancreatic beta-cells and other peripheral tissues of mouse and ratB E Faulkner-Jones
Burnet Clinical Research Unit, Walter and Eliza Hall Institute of Medical Research, Royal Melbourne Hospital, Royal Parade, Parkville, Australia
Endocrinology 133:2962-72. 1993..cDNAs encoding GAD 67 and GAD 65 were cloned from mouse brain and shown to be 95% homologous with the rat sequences...
- Ontogeny of glutamic acid decarboxylase gene expression in the mouse pancreasJ M Pleau
CNRS URA 1461, Universite Paris V, Hopital Necker, France
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 233:227-30. 1997..5 times higher than in C57BL/6 mice. The pancreatic expression of GAD 65 is under the detection limit of the assay until 5 weeks of age...
- GABA Receptors in the Acquisition and Extinction of FearScott Heldt; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- SODIUM PUMP AND REGULATION OF NEURONAL EXCITABILITYBradley Alger; Fiscal Year: 2002..This proposal is a step towards filling the gap. ..
- Opioid Receptors in the Mechanisms of Opioid ToleranceZhizhong Pan; Fiscal Year: 2005..This research will significantly expand our knowledge of the neural mechanisms for opioid tolerance and contribute to our efforts to improve the treatment for chronic pain and other chronic opioid-related problems. ..
- Heart Rate Variability in Mecp2 Deficient MiceJOHN BISSONNETTE; Fiscal Year: 2005..These studies will contribute to the understanding of depressed parasympathetic activity in Rett syndrome. ..