Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Foxo3
Description: forkhead box O3
Alias: 1110048B16Rik, 2010203A17Rik, C76856, FKHRL1, Fkhr2, Foxo3a, forkhead box protein O3, forkhead box O3a, forkhead protein FKHR2
Publications127 found, 100 shown here
- Foxo transcription factors induce the atrophy-related ubiquitin ligase atrogin-1 and cause skeletal muscle atrophyMarco Sandri
Department of Cell Biology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Cell 117:399-412. 2004..IGF-1 treatment or AKT overexpression inhibits Foxo and atrogin-1 expression. Moreover, constitutively active Foxo3 acts on the atrogin-1 promoter to cause atrogin-1 transcription and dramatic atrophy of myotubes and muscle fibers...
- Foxo3 is required for the regulation of oxidative stress in erythropoiesisDragan Marinkovic
Department of Gene and Cell Medicine, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, New York 10029, USA
J Clin Invest 117:2133-44. 2007..We observed that animals deficient in the forkhead box O3 (Foxo3) transcription factor died rapidly when exposed to erythroid oxidative stress-induced conditions, while wild-type ..
- FoxO transcription factors suppress Myc-driven lymphomagenesis via direct activation of ArfCaroline Bouchard
Institute of Molecular Biology and Tumor Research, 35033 Marburg, Germany
Genes Dev 21:2775-87. 2007..These data demonstrate that FoxO factors mediate Myc-induced Arf expression and provide direct genetic evidence for their tumor-suppressive capacity...
- The FoxO transcription factors and metabolic regulationJun Nakae
21st Century COE Program for Signal Transduction Disease, Kobe University Graduate School of Medicine, Kobe 650 0017, Japan
FEBS Lett 582:54-67. 2008..The understanding of molecular mechanism how FoxOs affect glucose or lipid metabolism will shed light on the novel therapy of type 2 diabetes and the metabolic syndrome...
- FoxOs are critical mediators of hematopoietic stem cell resistance to physiologic oxidative stressZuzana Tothova
Division of Hematology, Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital, and Department of Genetics, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Cell 128:325-39. 2007To understand the role of FoxO family members in hematopoiesis, we conditionally deleted FoxO1, FoxO3, and FoxO4 in the adult hematopoietic system...
- FOXO3a is activated in response to hypoxic stress and inhibits HIF1-induced apoptosis via regulation of CITED2Walbert J Bakker
Campbell Family Institute for Breast Cancer Research, University Health Network, Ontario Cancer Institute and Princess Margaret Hospital, Toronto, ON M5G 2C1, Canada
Mol Cell 28:941-53. 2007..Here we report a role for FOXO3a under conditions of hypoxic stress...
- FoxO3 induces reversible cardiac atrophy and autophagy in a transgenic mouse modelTobias G Schips
Institute of Physiological Chemistry, University of Ulm, Albert Einstein Allee 11, 89081 Ulm, Germany
Cardiovasc Res 91:587-97. 2011The transcription factor FoxO3 contributes to anti-hypertrophic signalling in the heart presumably by regulating autophagic-lysosomal and ubiquitin-proteasomal pathways...
- FoxOs cooperatively regulate diverse pathways governing neural stem cell homeostasisJi Hye Paik
Department of Medical Oncology, Belfer Institute for Applied Cancer Science, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Cell Stem Cell 5:540-53. 2009..Thus, the FoxO family coordinately regulates diverse genes and pathways to govern key aspects of NSC homeostasis in the mammalian brain...
- Disruption of forkhead transcription factor (FOXO) family members in mice reveals their functional diversificationTaisuke Hosaka
Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research, University of California at San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093 0660, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101:2975-80. 2004..orthologs of DAF-16, the closely-related FOXO subclass of forkhead transcription factors (FKHR/FOXO1, FKHRL1/FOXO3a, and AFX/FOXO4), also have important roles in cell cycle arrest, apoptosis and stress responses in vitro, but ..
- Physical and transcriptional map of the mouse Chromosome 10 proximal region syntenic to human 6q16-q21N Chalhoub
Institut de Recherches Cliniques de Montreal, Faculte de Medecine de l Universite de Montreal, 110 avenue des Pins Ouest, Montreal, Quebec, H2W 1R7, Canada
Mamm Genome 12:887-92. 2001..The physical and transcriptional map presented here will provide novel resources to isolate the gl locus associated with osteopetrosis, and will also provide candidate loci for other defects mapped on human Chr 6q...
- FoxO-mediated defense against oxidative stress in osteoblasts is indispensable for skeletal homeostasis in miceElena Ambrogini
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Center for Osteoporosis and Metabolic Bone Diseases, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences and the Central Arkansas Veterans Healthcare System, Little Rock, AR 72205, USA
Cell Metab 11:136-46. 2010..Conditional deletion of FoxO1, FoxO3, and FoxO4 in 3-month-old mice resulted in an increase in oxidative stress in bone and osteoblast apoptosis and a ..
- Control of cyclin G2 mRNA expression by forkhead transcription factors: novel mechanism for cell cycle control by phosphoinositide 3-kinase and forkheadLorena Martínez-Gac
Department of Immunology and Oncology, Centro Nacional de Biotecnologia CSIC, Universidad Autonoma de Madrid, Cantoblanco, Madrid E 28049, Spain
Mol Cell Biol 24:2181-9. 2004..We show that active forms of the forkhead transcription factor FoxO3a (FKHRL1) increase cyclin G2 mRNA levels...
- Redox regulation of forkhead proteins through a p66shc-dependent signaling pathwayShino Nemoto
Cardiovascular Branch, National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute, National Institutes of Health, Building 10 6N 240, 10 Center Drive, Bethesda, MD 20892 1622, USA
Science 295:2450-2. 2002..In p66shc-/- cells, the activity of the mammalian forkhead homolog FKHRL1 is increased and redox-dependent forkhead inactivation is reduced...
- The forkhead transcription factor FoxO regulates transcription of p27Kip1 and Bim in response to IL-2Marie Stahl
Department of Molecular Biology H8, Netherlands Cancer Institute, Plesmanlaan 121, 1066 CX Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Immunol 168:5024-31. 2002..of protein kinase B/Akt, inhibits transcriptional activation by a number of forkhead transcription factors (FoxO1, FoxO3, and FoxO4)...
- Suppression of ovarian follicle activation in mice by the transcription factor Foxo3aDiego H Castrillon
Department of Medical Oncology, Dana Farber Cancer Institute, and Department of Medicine, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Science 301:215-8. 2003..Here, we show that Foxo3a-/- female mice exhibit a distinctive ovarian phenotype of global follicular activation leading to oocyte death, ..
- FoxO6, a novel member of the FoxO class of transcription factors with distinct shuttling dynamicsFrank M J Jacobs
Rudolf Magnus Institute of Neuroscience, Department of Pharmacology and Anatomy, University Medical Center, Universiteitsweg 100, 3584 CG Utrecht, The Netherlands
J Biol Chem 278:35959-67. 2003..after stimulation with growth factors, in contrast to the predominant cytosolic localization of FoxO1 and FoxO3. We also show that nuclear export of FoxO6 is mediated through the phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase/PKB pathway...
- Convergence of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma and Foxo1 signaling pathwaysPaul Dowell
Biological Chemistry and Pediatrics, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21205, USA
J Biol Chem 278:45485-91. 2003..A more general convergence of nuclear hormone receptor and forkhead factor pathways may be important for multiple biological processes and this convergence may be evolutionarily conserved...
- Stress-dependent regulation of FOXO transcription factors by the SIRT1 deacetylaseAnne Brunet
Division of Neuroscience, Children s Hospital, and Department of Neurobiology, Center for Blood Research CBR Institute for Biomedical Research, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Science 303:2011-5. 2004..SIRT1 and the FOXO transcription factor FOXO3 formed a complex in cells in response to oxidative stress, and SIRT1 deacetylated FOXO3 in vitro and within cells...
- Mammalian SIRT1 represses forkhead transcription factorsMaria Carla Motta
Department of Biology, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA
Cell 116:551-63. 2004..the mammalian SIR2 ortholog SIRT1 deacetylates and represses the activity of the forkhead transcription factor Foxo3a and other mammalian forkhead factors...
- Optimal B-cell proliferation requires phosphoinositide 3-kinase-dependent inactivation of FOXO transcription factorsIsharat Yusuf
Department of Molecular Biology and Biochemistry, University of California, Irvine, 92697 3900, USA
Blood 104:784-7. 2004..Furthermore, forced expression of PI3K-independent variants of FOXO1 or FOXO3a in activated B cells induces partial arrest in G1 phase of the cell cycle and increases apoptosis...
- IkappaB kinase promotes tumorigenesis through inhibition of forkhead FOXO3aMickey C T Hu
Department of Molecular and Cellular Oncology, The University of Texas, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Cell 117:225-37. 2004Nuclear exclusion of the forkhead transcription factor FOXO3a by protein kinase Akt contributes to cell survival. We investigated the pathological relationship between phosphoylated-Akt (Akt-p) and FOXO3a in primary tumors...
- Regulation of NF-kappaB, Th activation, and autoinflammation by the forkhead transcription factor Foxo3aLing Lin
Division of Rheumatology, Department of Internal Medicine, 660 South Euclid Avenue, Saint Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
Immunity 21:203-13. 2004..We demonstrate here that Foxo3a, the predominant Foxo member expressed in peripheral lymphoid organs, plays a critical role in lymphoid ..
- p53-dependent inhibition of FKHRL1 in response to DNA damage through protein kinase SGK1Han You
Institute for Breast Cancer Research, University Health Network, 620 University Avenue, Suite 706, Toronto, ON, Canada M5G 2C1
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101:14057-62. 2004FKHRL1 (FOXO3a) and p53 are two potent stress-response regulators. Here we show that these two transcription factors exhibit "crosstalk" in vivo...
- Foxo3a induces motoneuron death through the Fas pathway in cooperation with JNKCatherine Barthelemy
UMR 623, Developmental Biology Institute of Marseille, Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, Institut National de la Sante et de la Recherche Medicale, Universite de la Mediterranee, Marseille, France
BMC Neurosci 5:48. 2004..How trophic factors regulate the expression of FasL is presently unclear, but two regulators of FasL, FOXO3a (FKHRL1) and JNK have been described to play a role in other cell types...
- The FOXO3a transcription factor regulates cardiac myocyte size downstream of AKT signalingCarsten Skurk
Boston University School of Medicine, Whitaker Cardiovascular Institute, Boston, Massachusetts 02118, USA
J Biol Chem 280:20814-23. 2005..b>FOXO3a gene transfer prevented both IGF and stretch-induced hypertrophy in rat neonatal cardiac myocyte cultures in vitro...
- An N-ethyl-N-nitrosourea screen for genes involved in variegation in the mouseMarnie E Blewitt
School of Molecular and Microbial Biosciences, University of Sydney, Butlin Avenue, New South Wales 2006, Australia
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:7629-34. 2005..The study demonstrates the power of sensitized screens in the mouse not only for the discovery of novel genes involved in a particular process but also for the elucidation of the biology of that process...
- Inflammatory arthritis requires Foxo3a to prevent Fas ligand-induced neutrophil apoptosisHelena Jonsson
Division of Rheumatology, Department of Internal Medicine, Washington University School of Medicine, 660 South Euclid Avenue, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Nat Med 11:666-71. 2005..Here we show that such inflammation requires the forkhead transcription factor Foxo3a: Foxo3a-deficient mice are resistant to two models of neutrophilic inflammation, immune complex-mediated ..
- Involvement of Foxo transcription factors in angiogenesis and postnatal neovascularizationMichael Potente
Molecular Cardiology, Department of Internal Medicine III, University of Frankfurt, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
J Clin Invest 115:2382-92. 2005..Here, we show that Foxo1 and Foxo3a are the most abundant Foxo isoforms in mature endothelial cells and that overexpression of constitutively active ..
- Regulation of transactivation-independent proapoptotic activity of p53 by FOXO3aHan You
The Campbell Family Institute for Breast Cancer Research, University Health Network, 620 University Avenue, Suite 706, Toronto, ON, Canada M5G 2C1
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:9051-6. 2006..Here we show that nuclear, activated FOXO3a could impair p53 transcriptional activity...
- In control of biology: of mice, men and FoxesPatrick J E C Wijchers
Rudolf Magnus Institute of Neuroscience, Department of Pharmacology and Anatomy, University Medical Center Utrecht, Universiteitsweg 100, 3584 CG Utrecht, The Netherlands
Biochem J 397:233-46. 2006..Finally, we will discuss how novel insights gained from involvement of 'Foxes' in the mechanisms underlying human pathology may create new opportunities for treatment strategies...
- FoxOs are lineage-restricted redundant tumor suppressors and regulate endothelial cell homeostasisJi Hye Paik
Department of Medical Oncology, Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Brigham and Women s Hospital, and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Cell 128:309-23. 2007..The highly related members of the mammalian FoxO transcription factor family, FoxO1, FoxO3, and FoxO4, represent one of several effector arms of PI3K-AKT signaling, prompting genetic analysis of the role ..
- The energy sensor AMP-activated protein kinase directly regulates the mammalian FOXO3 transcription factorEric L Greer
Department of Genetics, Stanford University, Stanford, California 94305, USA
J Biol Chem 282:30107-19. 2007..Here, we find that AMPK directly regulates mammalian FOXO3, a member of the FOXO family of Forkhead transcription factors known to promote resistance to oxidative stress, ..
- FoxO3 controls autophagy in skeletal muscle in vivoCristina Mammucari
Venetian Institute of Molecular Medicine, 35129 Padova, Italy
Cell Metab 6:458-71. 2007..Here we show that the FoxO3 transcription factor, which plays a critical role in muscle atrophy, is necessary and sufficient for the induction ..
- FoxO3 coordinately activates protein degradation by the autophagic/lysosomal and proteasomal pathways in atrophying muscle cellsJinghui Zhao
Department of Cell Biology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Cell Metab 6:472-83. 2007..of FoxO transcription factors is essential for the atrophy induced by denervation or fasting, and activated FoxO3 by itself causes marked atrophy of muscles and myotubes...
- Regulation of cardiomyocyte proliferation and myocardial growth during development by FOXO transcription factorsHeather J Evans-Anderson
Division of Molecular Cardiovascular Biology, Cincinnati Children s Hospital Medical Center, Ohio 45229, USA
Circ Res 102:686-94. 2008..Here, we show that FOXO1 and FOXO3 are expressed in the developing myocardium concomitant with increased cyclin kinase inhibitor expression from ..
- Foxo3a is essential for maintenance of the hematopoietic stem cell poolKana Miyamoto
Department of Cell Differentiation, The Sakaguchi Laboratory of Developmental Biology, Keio University School of Medicine, Shinjuku ku, Tokyo 160 8582, Japan
Cell Stem Cell 1:101-12. 2007..Here we show that Foxo3a, a forkhead transcription factor that acts downstream of the PTEN/PI3K/Akt pathway, is critical for HSC self-..
- SLP-65 regulates immunoglobulin light chain gene recombination through the PI(3)K-PKB-Foxo pathwaySebastian Herzog
Max Planck Institute for Immunobiology, 79108 Freiburg, Germany
Nat Immunol 9:623-31. 2008..We show that the forkhead box transcription factor Foxo3a promotes light chain rearrangement in pre-B cells...
- Tumor suppressor Foxo3a is involved in the regulation of lipopolysaccharide-induced interleukin-8 in intestinal HT-29 cellsLobke Snoeks
Department of Medicine, Division of Gastroenterology, Evanston Northwestern Research Institute, Evanston, Illinois 60201, USA
Infect Immun 76:4677-85. 2008..Tumor suppressor Foxo3a regulates gene expression in the nucleus, and its translocation to the cytosol leads to inactivation...
- Forkhead transcription factors (FoxOs) promote apoptosis of insulin-resistant macrophages during cholesterol-induced endoplasmic reticulum stressTakafumi Senokuchi
Department of Medicine, Columbia University, New York, New York, USA
Diabetes 57:2967-76. 2008..However, the molecular mechanisms of increased apoptosis in insulin-resistant macrophages remain unclear...
- FoxO3a regulates hematopoietic homeostasis through a negative feedback pathway in conditions of stress or agingKana Miyamoto
Department of Cell Differentiation, The Sakaguchi Laboratory of Developmental Biology, Keio University School of Medicine, Shinano machi, Tokyo, Japan
Blood 112:4485-93. 2008..Here, we report that mice lacking the transcription factor forkhead box O3a (FoxO3a) develop neutrophilia associated with inhibition of the up-regulation of negative regulator of cell ..
- Codependent activators direct myoblast-specific MyoD transcriptionPing Hu
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Department of Molecular and Cell Biology, University of California, Berkeley, Berkeley, CA 94720, USA
Dev Cell 15:534-46. 2008..Here, we identify MyoD, a key regulator of myogenesis, as a direct target of FoxO3 and Pax3/7 in myoblasts...
- Foxo1 links homing and survival of naive T cells by regulating L-selectin, CCR7 and interleukin 7 receptorYann M Kerdiles
Molecular Biology Section, Division of Biological Sciences, Department of Cellular and Molecular Medicine, University of California, San Diego, California 92093 0377, USA
Nat Immunol 10:176-84. 2009..These data suggest that Foxo1 regulates the homeostasis and life span of naive T cells by sensing growth factor availability and regulating homing and survival signals...
- MDM2 acts downstream of p53 as an E3 ligase to promote FOXO ubiquitination and degradationWei Fu
Department of Pathology and Cell Biology, University of South Florida College of Medicine, Tampa, Florida 33612, USA
J Biol Chem 284:13987-4000. 2009..We show that MDM2 binds to FOXO1 and FOXO3A and promotes their ubiquitination and degradation, a process apparently dependent on FOXO phosphorylation at AKT ..
- Transcription factor Foxo3 controls the magnitude of T cell immune responses by modulating the function of dendritic cellsAnne S Dejean
Molecular Biology Section, Division of Biological Sciences, Department of Cellular and Molecular Medicine, University of California, San Diego, San Diego, California, USA
Nat Immunol 10:504-13. 2009..Here we demonstrate that deficiency in Foxo3 resulted in greater expansion of T cell populations after viral infection...
- FoxO3 regulates neural stem cell homeostasisValérie M Renault
Department of Genetics, Stanford University, CA 94305, USA
Cell Stem Cell 5:527-39. 2009..Here we show that FoxO3, a member of a transcription factor family known to extend lifespan in invertebrates, regulates the NSC pool...
- Reciprocal regulation of microRNA-1 and insulin-like growth factor-1 signal transduction cascade in cardiac and skeletal muscle in physiological and pathological conditionsLeonardo Elia
Department of Medicine, University of California San Diego, La Jolla, CA, USA
Circulation 120:2377-85. 2009..In this study, we investigated the molecular mechanisms through which miR-1 intervenes in regulation of muscle cell growth and differentiation...
- FoxO1 is a positive regulator of bone formation by favoring protein synthesis and resistance to oxidative stress in osteoblastsMarie Therese Rached
Department of Medicine, Division of Endocrinology, College of Physicians and Surgeons, Columbia University, New York, NY 10032, USA
Cell Metab 11:147-60. 2010..These results identify FoxO1 as a crucial regulator of osteoblast physiology and provide a direct mechanistic link between oxidative stress and the regulation of bone remodeling...
- Transcription factors Foxo3a and Foxo1 couple the E3 ligase Cbl-b to the induction of Foxp3 expression in induced regulatory T cellsYohsuke Harada
Division of Cell Biology, La Jolla Institute for Allergy and Immunology, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
J Exp Med 207:1381-91. 2010..These T cells display augmented Foxo3a phosphorylation, but normal TGF-beta signaling...
- Foxo proteins cooperatively control the differentiation of Foxp3+ regulatory T cellsWeiming Ouyang
Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, New York, USA
Nat Immunol 11:618-27. 2010..Here we show that mice with T cell-specific deletion of both the Foxo1 and Foxo3 transcription factors (collectively called 'Foxo proteins' here) developed a fatal multifocal inflammatory ..
- Direct activation of forkhead box O3 by tumor suppressors p53 and p73 is disrupted during liver regeneration in miceSvitlana Kurinna
Graduate Program in Genes and Development, University of Texas Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, Houston, TX, USA
Hepatology 52:1023-32. 2010..Here, we determined TA-p73 interactions with chromatin in the adult mouse liver and found forkhead box O3 (Foxo3) to be one of 158 gene targets...
- FoxOs function synergistically to promote glucose productionRebecca A Haeusler
Department of Medicine, Columbia University, New York, New York 10032, USA
J Biol Chem 285:35245-8. 2010..of additional transcription factors to HGP, we created double and triple liver-specific knock-outs lacking FoxO1, FoxO3, and FoxO4 or the related protein FoxA2...
- The FoxO3/type 2 deiodinase pathway is required for normal mouse myogenesis and muscle regenerationMonica Dentice
Department of Molecular and Clinical Endocrinology and Oncology, University of Naples Federico II, Naples, Italy
J Clin Invest 120:4021-30. 2010..Forkhead box O3 (FoxO3) was identified as a key molecule inducing D2 expression and thereby increasing intracellular T3 production...
- FoxO transcription factors promote cardiomyocyte survival upon induction of oxidative stressArunima Sengupta
Heart Institute, Division of Molecular Cardiovascular Biology, Cincinnati Children s Medical Center, Cincinnati, Ohio 45229, USA
J Biol Chem 286:7468-78. 2011..investigated in cultured cardiomyocytes and in mice with cardiomyocyte-specific combined deficiency of FoxO1 and FoxO3 subjected to myocardial infarction (MI) or acute ischemia/reperfusion (I/R) injury...
- A missense mutation in the transcription factor Foxo3a causes teratomas and oocyte abnormalities in miceN A Youngson
Queensland Institute of Medical Research, Herston, Brisbane, QLD, 4006, Australia
Mamm Genome 22:235-48. 2011..Linkage analysis identified a region on chromosome 10, containing the Foxo3a gene, previously shown to play a critical role in female gametogenesis...
- Hepatic FoxOs regulate lipid metabolism via modulation of expression of the nicotinamide phosphoribosyltransferase geneRongya Tao
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Center for Computational Biology and Bioinformatics, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, Indiana 46202 USA
J Biol Chem 286:14681-90. 2011..we examined the phenotypic consequences of liver-specific deletion of three members of the FoxO family: FoxO1, FoxO3, and FoxO4...
- Class IIa histone deacetylases are hormone-activated regulators of FOXO and mammalian glucose homeostasisMaria M Mihaylova
Molecular and Cell Biology Laboratory, The Salk Institute for Biological Studies, 10010 N Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Cell 145:607-21. 2011..Finally, suppression of class IIa HDACs in mouse models of type 2 diabetes ameliorates hyperglycemia, suggesting that inhibitors of class I/II HDACs may be potential therapeutics for metabolic syndrome...
- Hepatic suppression of Foxo1 and Foxo3 causes hypoglycemia and hyperlipidemia in miceKebin Zhang
Division of Molecular Cardiology, Cardiovascular Research Institute, College of Medicine, Texas A and M Health Science Center, Central Texas Veterans Health Care System, Temple, Texas 76504, USA
Endocrinology 153:631-46. 2012..Cell-based studies established that the Foxo forkhead transcription factors Forkhead box O (Foxo)-1, Foxo3, and Foxo4 are inactivated by insulin via a phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase/Akt-dependent pathway, but the role of ..
- Metabolic stress-induced activation of FoxO1 triggers diabetic cardiomyopathy in micePavan K Battiprolu
Department of Internal Medicine Cardiology, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas 75390 8573, USA
J Clin Invest 122:1109-18. 2012..Together, these data suggest that activation of FoxO1 is an important mediator of diabetic cardiomyopathy and is a promising therapeutic target for the disease...
- FOXO3 regulates CD8 T cell memory by T cell-intrinsic mechanismsJeremy A Sullivan
Department of Pathobiological Sciences, University of Wisconsin Madison, Madison, Wisconsin, United States of America
PLoS Pathog 8:e1002533. 2012..To elucidate the potentially dynamic role for FOXO3 in regulating homeostasis of activated CD8 T cells in lymphoid and non-lymphoid organs, we infected global and T ..
- Lysine methylation of FOXO3 regulates oxidative stress-induced neuronal cell deathQi Xie
State Key Laboratory of Brain and Cognitive Sciences, Institute of Biophysics, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing 100101, China
EMBO Rep 13:371-7. 2012..Here, we demonstrate that the methyltransferase Set9 methylates FOXO3 at lysine 270. Methylation of FOXO3 leads to the inhibition of its DNA-binding activity and transactivation...
- FoxOs integrate pleiotropic actions of insulin in vascular endothelium to protect mice from atherosclerosisKyoichiro Tsuchiya
Department of Medicine, College of Physicians and Surgeons of Columbia University, New York, NY 10032, USA
Cell Metab 15:372-81. 2012..The data demonstrate that FoxO inhibition in endothelial cells has the potential to mediate wide-ranging therapeutic benefits for diabetes-associated cardiovascular disease...
- Two-step activation of FOXO3 by AMPK generates a coherent feed-forward loop determining excitotoxic cell fateD Davila
Centre for the Study of Neurological Disorders, Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland, Dublin, Ireland
Cell Death Differ 19:1677-88. 2012..imaging and computational modeling, we here demonstrate that excitotoxic injury activated the bim promoter in a FOXO3-dependent manner...
- SIRT1 protects against emphysema via FOXO3-mediated reduction of premature senescence in miceHongwei Yao
Department of Environmental Medicine, Lung Biology and Disease Program, University of Rochester Medical Center, Rochester, New York 14642, USA
J Clin Invest 122:2032-45. 2012..These effects were due to the ability of SIRT1 to deacetylate the FOXO3 transcription factor, since Foxo3 deficiency diminished the protective effect of SRT1720 on cellular ..
- FOXO3 is a glucocorticoid receptor target and regulates LKB1 and its own expression based on cellular AMP levels via a positive autoregulatory loopNicolas Lützner
Research Program Infections and Cancer, German Cancer Research Center DKFZ, Heidelberg, Germany
PLoS ONE 7:e42166. 2012b>FOXO3 is a transcription factor involved in the regulation of multiple physiological processes including cell cycle arrest, apoptosis, oxidative stress-response and energy metabolism...
- FOXO3 induces FOXO1-dependent autophagy by activating the AKT1 signaling pathwayJingyi Zhou
Key Laboratory of Carcinogenesis and Translational Research Ministry of Education, Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Peking University Health Science Center, Beijing, China
Autophagy 8:1712-23. 2012Forkhead box O (FOXO) transcriptional protein family members, including FOXO1 and FOXO3, are involved in the modulation of autophagy...
- The autophagy-related gene 14 (Atg14) is regulated by forkhead box O transcription factors and circadian rhythms and plays a critical role in hepatic autophagy and lipid metabolismXiwen Xiong
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, Indiana 46202, USA
J Biol Chem 287:39107-14. 2012..In summary, our data suggest that Atg14 is a new target gene of FoxOs and the core clock machinery, and this gene plays an important role in hepatic lipid metabolism...
- FOXO3A directs a protective autophagy program in haematopoietic stem cellsMatthew R Warr
The Eli and Edythe Broad Center for Regenerative Medicine and Stem Cell Research, Department of Medicine, Division of Hematology Oncology, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, California 94143, USA
Nature 494:323-7. 2013..We demonstrate that FOXO3A is critical to maintain a gene expression program that poises HSCs for rapid induction of autophagy upon ..
- Expanded granulocyte/monocyte compartment in myeloid-specific triple FoxO knockout increases oxidative stress and accelerates atherosclerosis in miceKyoichiro Tsuchiya
Naomi Berrie Diabetes Center, 1150 St Nicholas Ave, Russ Berrie Pavilion Room 238, NY 10032, USA
Circ Res 112:992-1003. 2013..Increased neutrophil and monocyte counts are often associated with an increased risk of atherosclerosis, but their relationship to insulin sensitivity is unknown...
- FOXO3 shares common targets with ASCL1 genome-wide and inhibits ASCL1-dependent neurogenesisAshley E Webb
Department of Genetics, Stanford University, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
Cell Rep 4:477-91. 2013FOXO transcription factors are central regulators of longevity from worms to humans. FOXO3, the FOXO isoform associated with exceptional human longevity, preserves adult neural stem cell pools...
- Foxo transcription factors blunt cardiac hypertrophy by inhibiting calcineurin signalingYan G Ni
Department of Internal Medicine Cardiology, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX 75390 8573, USA
Circulation 114:1159-68. 2006..In cultured neonatal cardiomyocytes, Foxo transcription factors trigger an atrophy-related gene program that counters hypertrophic growth. However, downstream molecular events are not yet well defined...
- Posttranslational modifications control FoxO3 activity during denervationEnrico Bertaggia
Venetian Institute of Molecular Medicine, Padova, Italy
Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 302:C587-96. 2012..Here we show that FoxO3 is progressively acetylated during denervation and concomitantly atrogin-1, the bona fide FoxO3 target, is ..
- Phosphorylation of FOXO3a on Ser-7 by p38 promotes its nuclear localization in response to doxorubicinKa Kei Ho
Department of Surgery and Cancer, Imperial College London, Hammersmith Hospital Campus, London W12 0NN, United Kingdom
J Biol Chem 287:1545-55. 2012b>FOXO3a is a forkhead transcription factor that regulates a multitude of important cellular processes, including proliferation, apoptosis, differentiation, and metabolism...
- Structures of KIX domain of CBP in complex with two FOXO3a transactivation domains reveal promiscuity and plasticity in coactivator recruitmentFeng Wang
Ontario Cancer Institute, University Health Network, Toronto, ON, Canada M5G 1L7
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 109:6078-83. 2012Forkhead box class O 3a (FOXO3a) is a transcription factor and tumor suppressor linked to longevity that determines cell fate through activating transcription of cell differentiation, survival, and apoptotic genes...
- Novel repressor regulates insulin sensitivity through interaction with Foxo1Jun Nakae
Frontier Medicine on Metabolic Syndrome, Division of Endocrinology, Metabolism and Nephrology, Department of Internal Medicine, Keio University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
EMBO J 31:2275-95. 2012..Taken together, these data suggest that FCoR is a novel repressor that regulates insulin sensitivity and energy metabolism in adipose tissue by acting to fine-tune Foxo1 activity...
- Kinetics of nuclear-cytoplasmic translocation of Foxo1 and Foxo3A in adult skeletal muscle fibersTova Neustadt Schachter
Dept of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Univ of Maryland School of Medicine, 108 North Greene St, Baltimore MD 21201 1503, USA
Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 303:C977-90. 2012In skeletal muscle, the transcription factors Foxo1 and Foxo3A control expression of proteins that mediate muscle atrophy, making the nuclear concentration and nuclear-cytoplasmic movements of Foxo1 and Foxo3A of therapeutic interest in ..
- Involvement of CD14, toll-like receptors 2 and 4, and MyD88 in the host response to the fungal pathogen Cryptococcus neoformans in vivoLauren E Yauch
Department of Medicine, Boston University School of Medicine, Massachusetts, USA
Infect Immun 72:5373-82. 2004....
- Ectoderm-targeted overexpression of the glucocorticoid receptor induces hypohidrotic ectodermal dysplasiaJose Luis Cascallana
Department of Animal Pathology, Veterinary Faculty, University of Santiago de Compostela, E 27002 Lugo, Spain
Endocrinology 146:2629-38. 2005..with a dramatic decrease in the protein levels of DeltaNp63 in tooth epithelia without affecting Akt, BMP4, or Foxo3a. Given that many of the 170 clinically distinct ectodermal dysplasia syndromes still remain without cognate genes, ..
- Phosphorylation of p66Shc and forkhead proteins mediates Abeta toxicityWanli W Smith
Molecular Neurobiology Unit, Laboratory of Cellular and Molecular Biology, Intramural Research Program, National Institute on Aging, National Institutes of Health, Baltimore, MD 21224, USA
J Cell Biol 169:331-9. 2005..These findings underscore the potential usefulness of JNK, p66Shc, and forkhead proteins as therapeutic targets for AD...
- GDNF rescues hyperglycemia-induced diabetic enteric neuropathy through activation of the PI3K/Akt pathwayMallappa Anitha
Division of Digestive Diseases, Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia 30307, USA
J Clin Invest 116:344-56. 2006..Exposure to 20 mM glucose resulted in decreased Akt phosphorylation and enhanced nuclear translocation of forkhead box O3a (FOXO3a). Treatment of enteric neurons with GDNF ameliorated these changes...
- Activation of extracellular signal-regulated protein kinase 5 downregulates FasL upon osmotic stressX Wang
Faculty of Life Sciences, University of Manchester, Manchester, UK
Cell Death Differ 13:2099-108. 2006..fibroblasts treated with sorbitol display a reduced protein kinase B (PKB) activity associated with increased Forkhead box O3a (Foxo3a) activity...
- Myocardium defects and ventricular hypoplasia in mice homozygous null for the Forkhead Box M1 transcription factorSneha Ramakrishna
Department of Medicine, University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois
Dev Dyn 236:1000-13. 2007..Foxm1 regulates expression of genes essential for the proliferation of cardiomyocytes during heart development...
- Catalase alleviates cardiomyocyte dysfunction in diabetes: role of Akt, Forkhead transcriptional factor and silent information regulator 2Subat Turdi
Division of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Center for Cardiovascular Research and Alternative Medicine, University of Wyoming, Laramie, WY 82071, USA
Life Sci 81:895-905. 2007..enhanced the silent information regulator 2 (Sirt2), and upregulated Forkhead transcriptional factor Foxo3a as well as glycogen synthase kinase-3beta (GSK-3beta) and pGSK-3beta...
- "Sly as a FOXO": new paths with Forkhead signaling in the brainKenneth Maiese
Division of Cellular and Molecular Cerebral Ischemia, Center for Molecular Medicine and Genetics, Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit, Michigan 48201, USA
Curr Neurovasc Res 4:295-302. 2007The Forkhead transcription factor FOXO3a has emerged as a versatile target for diseases that impact upon neuronal survival, vascular integrity, immune function, and cellular metabolism...
- Oocyte-specific deletion of Pten causes premature activation of the primordial follicle poolPradeep Reddy
Department of Medical Biochemistry and Biophysics, Umea University, SE 901 87 Umea, Sweden
Science 319:611-3. 2008..Our results show that the mammalian oocyte serves as the headquarters of programming of follicle activation and that the oocyte PTEN-PI3K pathway governs follicle activation through control of initiation of oocyte growth...
- Calpain small-1 modulates Akt/FoxO3A signaling and apoptosis through PP2AC Bertoli
Laboratorio Nazionale Consorzio Interuniversitario Biotecnologie LNCIB, Trieste, Italy
Oncogene 28:721-33. 2009Here, we show that FoxO3A transcription factor is upregulated upon calpain small-1 (CAPNS1) depletion both in mouse embryonic fibroblasts (MEFs) and in the human mammary carcinoma cell line MCF-7...
- FOXO3a-dependent regulation of Pink1 (Park6) mediates survival signaling in response to cytokine deprivationYang Mei
Key Laboratory of the Ministry of Education for Cell Biology and Tumor Cell Engineering, School of Life Sciences, Xiamen University, 422 South Siming Road, Xiamen, Fujian 361005, China
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:5153-8. 2009..Here we report that the FOXO family member FOXO3a controls Pink1 transcription in both mouse and human cells subjected to growth factor deprivation and that this ..
- Tumor suppressor FOXO3 participates in the regulation of intestinal inflammationLobke Snoeks
Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Medicine, North Shore University Research Institute, Evanston, IL 60201, USA
Lab Invest 89:1053-62. 2009..Tumor suppressor FOXO3 regulates gene expression and its translocation to the cytosol leads to the abrogation of its transcriptional ..
- FOXO transcription factors enforce cell cycle checkpoints and promote survival of hematopoietic cells after DNA damageHong Lei
Department of Pharmacology, The University of Iowa, Carver College of Medicine, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
Mol Cancer Res 7:1294-303. 2009..These cell cycle arrests were dependent on p27 expression when mediated by FOXO3a alone, but also involve p27-independent mechanisms when promoted by endogenous FOXO proteins...
- Leptin administration favors muscle mass accretion by decreasing FoxO3a and increasing PGC-1alpha in ob/ob miceNeira Sainz
Metabolic Research Laboratory, University of Navarra, Pamplona, Spain
PLoS ONE 4:e6808. 2009..was associated with an inactivation of the muscle atrophy-related transcription factor forkhead box class O3 (FoxO3a) (P<0...
- Mechanisms involved in 3',5'-cyclic adenosine monophosphate-mediated inhibition of the ubiquitin-proteasome system in skeletal muscleDawit A P Gonçalves
Departments of Physiology and Biochemistry and Immunology, School of Medicine, University of Sao Paulo, 14049 900 Ribeirao Preto, Brazil
Endocrinology 150:5395-404. 2009..Moreover, clenbuterol increased the phosphorylation of muscle Akt and Foxo3a in fasted rats. Similar responses were observed in muscles exposed to dibutyryl-cAMP...
- Homozygous loss of BHD causes early embryonic lethality and kidney tumor development with activation of mTORC1 and mTORC2Yukiko Hasumi
Urologic Oncology Branch, Center for Cancer Research, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:18722-7. 2009....
- Regulation of the intracellular localization of Foxo3a by stress-activated protein kinase signaling pathways in skeletal muscle cellsStephan Clavel
Université de Nice Sophia Antipolis EA 4319 INSERM ERI 21, 28 Avenue de Valombrose, 06108 Nice Cedex 2, France
Mol Cell Biol 30:470-80. 2010..b>Foxo3a transcription factor is critical for muscle atrophy, since it activates the expression of ubiquitin ligase Atrogin-..
- FoxO proteins mediate hypoxic induction of connective tissue growth factor in endothelial cellsJana Samarin
Department of Nephrology and Hypertension, Medical College of Georgia, Augusta, Georgia 30912
J Biol Chem 285:4328-36. 2010..with a HIF-dependent increase in protein and mRNA levels, and nuclear accumulation of the transcription factor FoxO3a. By contrast, gene expression and cellular localization of FoxO1 were not significantly altered by hypoxia...
- TGF-beta-FOXO signalling maintains leukaemia-initiating cells in chronic myeloid leukaemiaKazuhito Naka
Division of Molecular Genetics, Center for Cancer and Stem Cell Research, Cancer Research Institute, Kanazawa University, Kanazawa, Ishikawa 920 0934, Japan
Nature 463:676-80. 2010..Here, using a syngeneic transplantation system and a CML-like myeloproliferative disease mouse model, we show that Foxo3a has an essential role in the maintenance of CML LICs...
- Histone H3 lysine 36 methyltransferase Hypb/Setd2 is required for embryonic vascular remodelingMing Hu
State Key Laboratory of Medical Genomics, Shanghai Institute of Hematology, Rui Jin Hospital, Shanghai Jiao Tong University School of Medicine, Shanghai 200025, China
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:2956-61. 2010..Taken together, these results indicate that Hypb is required for embryonic vascular remodeling and provide a tool to study the function of H3K36 methylation in vasculogenesis/angiogenesis...
- Mitochondrial fission and remodelling contributes to muscle atrophyVanina Romanello
Dulbecco Telethon Institute at Venetian Institute of Molecular Medicine, Padova, Italy
EMBO J 29:1774-85. 2010..Conversely, inhibition of the mitochondrial fission inhibits muscle loss during fasting and after FoxO3 overexpression...
- Inhibition of FOXO3 tumor suppressor function by betaTrCP1 through ubiquitin-mediated degradation in a tumor mouse modelWen Bin Tsai
Department of Molecular Pathology, University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas, United States of America
PLoS ONE 5:e11171. 2010..The forkhead box transcription factor FOXO3 plays a key role in regulating tumor suppression; however, the control of FOXO3 protein stability remains to be ..
- ROS-mediated amplification of AKT/mTOR signalling pathway leads to myeloproliferative syndrome in Foxo3(-/-) miceSafak Yalcin
Department of Gene and Cell Medicine, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY 10029, USA
EMBO J 29:4118-31. 2010..Here, we show that loss of Foxo3 causes a myeloproliferative syndrome with splenomegaly and increased hematopoietic progenitors (HPs) that are ..
- Resveratrol enhances antitumor activity of TRAIL in prostate cancer xenografts through activation of FOXO transcription factorSuthakar Ganapathy
Division of Radiation Biology, Department of Radiation Oncology, The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, Greehey Children s Cancer Research Institute, San Antonio, Texas, United States of America
PLoS ONE 5:e15627. 2010..Therefore, the present study was designed to validate whether resveratrol can enhance the apoptosis-inducing potential of TRAIL in a xenograft model of prostate cancer...
- FOXO3 deficiency leads to increased susceptibility to cigarette smoke-induced inflammation, airspace enlargement, and chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseJae Woong Hwang
Lung Biology and Disease Program, Department of Environmental Medicine, University of Rochester Medical Center, Rochester, NY 14642, USA
J Immunol 187:987-98. 2011Forkhead box class O 3a (FOXO3) is a member of the FoxO transcription factor subfamily, which regulates the expression of target genes not only through DNA binding as a transcription factor, but also through protein-protein interaction...
- Foxo1 is required in mouse spermatogonial stem cells for their maintenance and the initiation of spermatogenesisMeredith J Goertz
Department of Pathology, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, 6000 Harry Hines Boulevard, Dallas, Texas 75390 9072, USA
J Clin Invest 121:3456-66. 2011..Combined deficiency of Foxo1, Foxo3, and Foxo4 resulted in a severe impairment of SSC self-renewal and a complete block of differentiation, indicating ..
- Conference on Muscle: Excitation-Contraction CouplingMartin Schneider; Fiscal Year: 2003..The organizing committee and session leaders will strive to achieve appropriate representation of women, minorities and disabled. All facilities are handicapped accessible. ..
- Convergence of Nuclear Receptor and Forkhead SignalingPaul Dowell; Fiscal Year: 2004..The excellent research environment at Johns Hopkins coupled with an extensive collaborative team of experts in relevant fields of study is ideal for successful completion of the proposed work. ..
- Age Related Insulin Resistance, Akt/PKB, and Skeletal Muscle ProteolysisThomas Reynolds; Fiscal Year: 2007..In accordance with the NIH-AREA initiative the goals of this R15 proposal will be accomplished by making undergraduate students an integral part of all research activities. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Activity Dependent Signaling in Muscle Fiber PlasticityMartin Schneider; Fiscal Year: 2007..The studies proposed here should have important bearing on the effects of use and disuse on muscle fiber gene expression. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- CONTROL OF CALCIUM RELEASE IN SKELETAL MUSCLE FIBERSMartin Schneider; Fiscal Year: 2006..The results of these studies should provide further insight into muscle pathological states and to the overall wellness associated with functioning muscle. ..
- Local Ca2+ signaling in sympathetic ganglion neuronsMartin Schneider; Fiscal Year: 2005..Our results will provide new insights regarding local Ca2+ signaling mechanisms that could be compromised in neuronal disease. ..
- LH ACTION IN OVARIAN CELL DIFFERENTIATIONJoanne Richards; Fiscal Year: 2007..A related and longer term goal of the research is to identify and characterize the genes regulated by LH, prostaglandins (PGs), and C/EBPs that control key steps in the ovulatory process. ..
- Ovarian Follicular Developmental and Hormone ActionJoanne Richards; Fiscal Year: 2007..3) Determine the molecular, cellular and hormonal basis of the altered ovarian phenotype of the TAFII105 null mice. 4) Determine the function of Wnt-4 in the adult ovary. ..
- LRRK2 and cellular pathways of Parkinson's DiseaseWanli Smith; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- LH ACTION IN OVARIAN CELL DIFFERENTIATIONJoanne Richards; Fiscal Year: 2008..Specific Aim II: Determine the function of AREG target genes that are uniquely expressed at high levels in ovulated COCs (compared to granulosa cells) and that impact ovulation. ..