Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Fas
Description: Fas (TNF receptor superfamily member 6)
Alias: AI196731, APO1, APT1, CD95, TNFR6, Tnfrsf6, lpr, tumor necrosis factor receptor superfamily member 6, FASLG receptor, Fas (TNF receptor superfamily member), Fas antigen, apo-1 antigen, apoptosis-mediating surface antigen FAS, lymphoproliferation
Publications217 found, 100 shown here
- The Fas death factorS Nagata
Osaka Bioscience Institute, Japan
Science 267:1449-56. 1995b>Fas ligand (FasL), a cell surface molecule belonging to the tumor necrosis factor family, binds to its receptor Fas, thus inducing apoptosis of Fas-bearing cells...
- Apoptosis regulators Fas and Bim cooperate in shutdown of chronic immune responses and prevention of autoimmunityPeter D Hughes
Molecular Genetics of Cancer, The Walter and Eliza Hall Institute of Medical Research, Melbourne 3050, Australia
Immunity 28:197-205. 2008..We examined mice lacking the gene encoding Bim (Bcl2l11) and with the inactivating lpr mutation in the gene encoding Fas (Fas), designated Bcl2l11(-/-)Fas(lpr/lpr) mice...
- Spontaneous murine lupus-like syndromes. Clinical and immunopathological manifestations in several strainsB S Andrews
J Exp Med 148:1198-215. 1978....
- Generalized lymphoproliferative disease in mice, caused by a point mutation in the Fas ligandT Takahashi
Osaka Bioscience Institute, Japan
Cell 76:969-76. 1994Mice homozygous for lpr (lymphoproliferation) or gld (generalized lymphoproliferative disease) develop lymphadenopathy and suffer from autoimmune disease...
- Membrane-bound Fas ligand only is essential for Fas-induced apoptosisLorraine A O' Reilly
The Walter and Eliza Hall Institute of Medical Research, Parkville, Victoria 3052, Australia
Nature 461:659-63. 2009b>Fas ligand (FasL), an apoptosis-inducing member of the TNF cytokine family, and its receptor Fas are critical for the shutdown of chronic immune responses and prevention of autoimmunity...
- Fas and Fas ligand: lpr and gld mutationsS Nagata
Osaka Bioscience Institute, Japan
Immunol Today 16:39-43. 1995b>Fas ligand (FasL) is a death factor that binds to its receptor, Fas, and induces apoptosis...
- Suppression of Fas-FasL coexpression by erythropoietin mediates erythroblast expansion during the erythropoietic stress response in vivoYing Liu
Department of Pediatrics, University of Massachusetts Medical School, Worcester, MA 01605, USA
Blood 108:123-33. 2006..A high proportion of splenic early erythroblasts coexpressed the death receptor Fas, and its ligand, FasL...
- Motoneuron death triggered by a specific pathway downstream of Fas. potentiation by ALS-linked SOD1 mutationsCedric Raoul
INSERM U 382, Developmental Biology Institute of Marseille, CNRS INSERM Univ Mediterranee, Campus de Luminy, Case 907, 13288 Marseille Cedex 09, France
Neuron 35:1067-83. 2002..We show that Fas-triggered death of normal embryonic motoneurons requires transcriptional upregulation of neuronal NOS and involves ..
- Interleukin-10 overexpression promotes Fas-ligand-dependent chronic macrophage-mediated demyelinating polyneuropathyDru S Dace
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, Washington University in St Louis School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri, USA
PLoS ONE 4:e7121. 2009....
- CD95-ligand on peripheral myeloid cells activates Syk kinase to trigger their recruitment to the inflammatory siteElisabeth Letellier
Molecular Neurobiology Unit, German Cancer Research Center, Heidelberg 69120, Germany
Immunity 32:240-52. 2010..Here, we showed that, in rodents and humans, injury to the spinal cord triggered surface expression of CD95 ligand (CD95L, FasL) on peripheral blood myeloid cells...
- The immune regulatory function of lymphoproliferative double negative T cells in vitro and in vivoMegan S Ford
Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathobiology, University of Toronto, Multi Organ Transplantation Program, Toronto General Hospital Research Institute, University Health Network, Toronto, Ontario M5G 2C4, Canada
J Exp Med 196:261-7. 2002Lymphoproliferative (lpr) mice, which lack functional Fas receptor expression and develop autoimmune lymphoproliferative disease, have an accumulation of T cell receptor-alphabeta(+)CD4(-)CD8(-) (double negative T cells [DNTC]) in the ..
- T cell-specific ablation of Fas leads to Fas ligand-mediated lymphocyte depletion and inflammatory pulmonary fibrosisZhenyue Hao
620 University Ave, Toronto, ON, M5G 2C1, Canada
J Exp Med 199:1355-65. 2004To study the role of Fas-Fas ligand (FasL) interaction-mediated apoptosis in lymphocyte homeostasis, we generated a mutant fas allele allowing conditional inactivation of the fas gene through Cre-mediated recombination...
- Interferon-beta: a therapeutic for autoimmune lupus in MRL-Faslpr miceAndreas Schwarting
First Department of Medicine, Johannes Gutenberg University of Mainz, Langenbeckstrasse 1, Mainz 55131, Germany
J Am Soc Nephrol 16:3264-72. 2005..For determining whether IFN-beta treatment is harmful or beneficial in lupus, MRL-Fas(lpr) mice were injected with this type I IFN...
- Cytolytic T-cell cytotoxicity is mediated through perforin and Fas lytic pathwaysB Lowin
Institute of Biochemistry, University of Lausanne, Epalinges, Switzerland
Nature 370:650-2. 1994..b>Fas is an apoptosis-signalling receptor molecule on the surface of a number of different cells...
- Lpr and MRL background gene involvement in the control of adjuvant enhanced arthritis in MRL-lpr miceL G Ratkay
Department of Oral Biology, Faculty of Dentistry, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada
J Autoimmun 7:561-73. 1994The MRL-lpr mouse strain develops a mild spontaneous arthritis which can be enhanced by the intradermal injection of complete Freund's adjuvant (CFA)...
- Autoimmune disease in mice due to integration of an endogenous retrovirus in an apoptosis geneJ Wu
University of Alabama, Birmingham
J Exp Med 178:461-8. 1993The MRL-lpr/lpr mouse strain is a model of systemic autoimmune disease. In this model, intrinsic defects of intrathymic T cell development include defective deletion of self-reactive T cells and expression of endogenous retroviruses...
- Prevention of nephritis in major histocompatibility complex class II-deficient MRL-lpr miceA M Jevnikar
Robarts Research Institute, University of Western Ontario, London, Canada
J Exp Med 179:1137-43. 1994MRL-lpr mice develop aggressive autoimmune kidney disease associated with increased or de novo renal expression of major histocompatibility complex (MHC) class II molecules and a massive systemic expansion of CD4-CD- double negative (DN) ..
- FAS is highly expressed in the germinal center but is not required for regulation of the B-cell response to antigenK G Smith
Walter and Eliza Hall Institute of Medical Research, Royal Melbourne Hospital, Victoria, Australia
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 92:11628-32. 1995..To address the role of the apoptosis-signaling cell surface molecule FAS in the B-cell response to antigen, we have examined the T-cell-dependent B-cell response to the carrier-conjugated ..
- The role of Fas in autoimmune diabetesA V Chervonsky
Section of Immunobiology, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06510, USA
Cell 89:17-24. 1997..Fas-negative NOD(lpr/lpr) animals were resistant to diabetogenic T cells and to spontaneous diabetes...
- Fas engagement accelerates liver regeneration after partial hepatectomyJ Desbarats
Department of Medicine, University of Vermont, Burlington, Vermont 05401, USA
Nat Med 6:920-3. 2000Fas (CD95) is a receptor involved in induction of apoptotic cell death of Fas-bearing cells, including hepatocytes and T cells. Injection of Fas-specific antibodies into mice leads to fulminant hepatic failure and death...
- Toll-like receptor 9 controls anti-DNA autoantibody production in murine lupusSean R Christensen
Section of Immunobiology, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06510, USA
J Exp Med 202:321-31. 2005..These results demonstrate a specific requirement for TLR9 in autoantibody formation in vivo and indicate a critical role for innate immune activation in autoimmunity...
- Viral 5'-triphosphate RNA and non-CpG DNA aggravate autoimmunity and lupus nephritis via distinct TLR-independent immune responsesRamanjaneyulu Allam
Medical Policlinic, University of Munich, Germany
Eur J Immunol 38:3487-98. 2008..By contrast, transient exposure to non-CpG DNA exacerbate lupus nephritis in association with splenomegaly, lymphoproliferation, hypergammaglobulinaemia and increased B220(+)CD138(+) plasma cells...
- Radiation and stress-induced apoptosis: a role for Fas/Fas ligand interactionsE A Reap
Department of Medicine, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 7280, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 94:5750-5. 1997..This defect blocks apoptotic deletion of autoreactive T and B cells, leading to lymphoproliferation and lupus-like autoantibody production...
- Aberrant transcription caused by the insertion of an early transposable element in an intron of the Fas antigen gene of lpr miceM Adachi
Osaka Bioscience Institute, Japan
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 90:1756-60. 1993The mouse lpr (lymphoproliferation) mutation carries a rearrangement in the chromosomal gene for the Fas antigen, which mediates apoptosis...
- Quantitative polymerase chain reaction analysis reveals marked overexpression of interleukin-1 beta, interleukin-1 and interferon-gamma mRNA in the lymph nodes of lupus-prone miceG J Prud'homme
Department of Immunology, Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Mol Immunol 32:495-503. 1995..The results reveal considerable overexpression of IL-1 beta, IL-10 and IFN gamma transcripts in SLE-prone MRL-lpr/lpr (MRL/l) and BXSB male (BXSBm) mice, but with some strain differences...
- Fas and Fas ligand in embryos and adult mice: ligand expression in several immune-privileged tissues and coexpression in adult tissues characterized by apoptotic cell turnoverL E French
Department of Dermatology, University of Geneva, Medical School, Switzerland
J Cell Biol 133:335-43. 1996The cell surface receptor Fas (FasR, Apo-1, CD95) and its ligand (FasL) are mediators of apoptosis that have been shown to be implicated in the peripheral deletion of autoimmune cells, activation-induced T cell death, and one of the two ..
- RNA-associated autoantigens activate B cells by combined B cell antigen receptor/Toll-like receptor 7 engagementChristina M Lau
Department of Microbiology, Boston University School of Medicine, MA 02118, USA
J Exp Med 202:1171-7. 2005..As further evidence that TLRs play a key role in autoantibody responses in SLE, we found that autoimmune-prone mice, lacking the TLR adaptor protein MyD88, had markedly reduced chromatin, Sm, and rheumatoid factor autoantibody titers...
- Apoptosis regulators Bim and Fas function concurrently to control autoimmunity and CD8+ T cell contractionAshley E Weant
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston Salem, NC 27157, USA
Immunity 28:218-30. 2008..Mutation of Bim, a proapoptotic protein in the intrinsic death pathway, or Fas, a tumor necrosis factor receptor (TNFR) superfamily member of the extrinsic pathway, results in late-onset ..
- Loss of Fas/Apo-1 receptor accelerates lymphomagenesis in E mu L-MYC transgenic mice but not in animals infected with MoMuLVM Zörnig
Institut für Molekularbiologie und Tumorforschung IMT, Philipps Universitat Marburg, Germany
Oncogene 10:2397-401. 1995The Fas/Apo-1 receptor is an integral membrane protein that transduces apoptotic signals upon binding to its natural ligand or to specific antibodies...
- Pathogenesis of autoimmunity in alphabeta T cell-deficient lupus-prone miceS L Peng
Section of Rheumatology, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT, USA
Clin Exp Immunol 111:107-16. 1998..lupus lesions, renal and skin disease, in TCR alpha -/- MRL mice that possessed either functional or defective Fas antigen (Fas + or lpr)...
- Expression of a Pim-1 transgene accelerates lymphoproliferation and inhibits apoptosis in lpr/lpr miceT Moroy
Institut fur Molekularbiologie und Tumorforschung, Philipps Universitat Marburg, Germany
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 90:10734-8. 1993..of the immunoglobulin heavy chain gene enhancer E mu) into lpr/lpr mice results in strong acceleration of lymphoproliferation and dramatic enlargement of lymph nodes...
- B cell selection and allelic exclusion of an anti-DNA Ig transgene in MRL-lpr/lpr miceJ H Roark
Wistar Institute, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
J Immunol 154:4444-55. 1995..We have shown that nonautoimmune mice regulate anti-DNA B cells, and that lupus-prone MRL-lpr/lpr mice are defective in this regulation...
- Effects of the lpr mutation on elimination and inactivation of self-reactive B cellsJ C Rathmell
Program in Immunology, Stanford University School of Medicine, CA 94305
J Immunol 153:2831-42. 1994Mice homozygous for the lymphoproliferation (lpr) mutation, which disrupts expression of the Fas cell surface molecule, develop an autoimmune syndrome with a spectrum of autoantibodies resembling human SLE...
- A Fas-associated protein factor, FAF1, potentiates Fas-mediated apoptosisK Chu
Department of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco 94143, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 92:11894-8. 1995b>Fas, a member of the tumor necrosis factor receptor family, can induce apoptosis when activated by Fas ligand binding or anti-Fas antibody crosslinking...
- Arteritis in a novel congenic strain of mice derived from MRL/Lpr lupus mice: genetic dissociation from glomerulonephritis and limited autoantibody productionM Nose
Department of Pathology, Tohoku University School of Medicine, Sendai, Japan
Am J Pathol 149:1763-9. 1996An MRL/Mp strain of mice bearing the Fas deletion mutant gene, lpr (MRL/lpr), spontaneously develop systemic vasculitis and glomerulone phritis in the same individual, and both have been thought to be associated with an increase in ..
- Fas- and FasL-deficient mice are resistant to induction of autoimmune encephalomyelitisH Waldner
Center for Neurologic Diseases, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Immunol 159:3100-3. 1997..To determine the roles of Fas and FasL in the involvement of CNS autoimmune injury, we determined susceptibility to EAE of Fas-or FasL-deficient ..
- Timing and casting for actors of thymic negative selectionN Dautigny
Institut National de la Sante et de la Recherche Medicale, Unit 345, Institut Necker, Paris, France
J Immunol 162:1294-302. 1999..Surprisingly, we found that thymic negative selection was impaired in the absence of Fas, but not FasL, molecule expression...
- Severe impairment of B cell function in lpr/lpr mice expressing transgenic Fas selectively on B cellsH Komano
Department of Immunology, Mitsubishi Kasei Institute of Life Sciences, Machida, Japan
Int Immunol 11:1035-42. 1999Transgenic lpr/lpr mice expressing functional Fas selectively on B cells were produced in an attempt to elucidate the role of Fas on B cells in the regulation of autoantibody production...
- Anti-DNA B cells in MRL/lpr mice show altered differentiation and editing patternYijin Li
Department of Molecular Biology, Princeton University, Princeton, NJ 08544, USA
J Exp Med 196:1543-52. 2002..Here, we studied the influence of autoimmunity on expression and regulation of 3H9H/56R. In 3H9H/56R MRL/lpr mice, the expression of anti-dsDNA is vastly accelerated...
- Regulation of dopaminergic loss by Fas in a 1-methyl-4-phenyl-1,2,3,6-tetrahydropyridine model of Parkinson's diseaseShawn Hayley
Ottawa Health Research Institute, Neuroscience Group, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada K1H 8M5
J Neurosci 24:2045-53. 2004..In this respect, Fas, a member of the tumor necrosis factor receptor family with proapoptotic and inflammatory functions, was reported ..
- Paucity of V-D-D-J rearrangements and VH replacement events in lupus prone and nonautoimmune TdT-/- and TdT+/+ miceLisa C Watson
The Scripps Research Institute, Department of Immunology, 10550 North Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
J Immunol 177:1120-8. 2006..We analyzed 518 sequences from adult MRL/lpr- and C57BL/6 TdT-deficient B cell precursors and found only two examples of CDR3 with D-D rearrangements and one ..
- IL-21 receptor is required for the systemic accumulation of activated B and T lymphocytes in MRL/MpJ-Fas(lpr/lpr)/J miceAndrew L Rankin
Inflammation and Immunology, Pfizer Research, Cambridge, MA 02140, USA
J Immunol 188:1656-67. 2012MRL/MpJ-Fas(lpr/lpr)/J (MRL(lpr)) mice develop lupus-like disease manifestations in an IL-21-dependent manner...
- Expression and function of the murine CD95/FasR/APO-1 receptor in relation to B cell ontogenyK B Onel
Specialized Center of Research SCOR in SLE, Hospital for Special Surgery Cornell University Medical Center, New York, NY 10021, USA
Eur J Immunol 25:2940-7. 1995Mice defective in Fas-mediated apoptosis (lpr phenotype) have an intrinsic B cell abnormality that predisposes them to autoantibody production...
- Association of lpr gene with graft-vs.-host disease-like syndromeA N Theofilopoulos
J Exp Med 162:1-18. 1985..between two lines of mice (MRL lpr/lpr and MRL +/+) that are congenic, differing only at the lpr (lymphoproliferation) and possibly closely linked genes...
- Decreased CD4-CD8- TCR-alpha beta + cells in lpr/lpr mice lacking beta 2-microglobulinP F Mixter
Department of Medicine, University of Vermont College of Medicine, Burlington 05405
J Immunol 154:2063-74. 1995The CD4-CD8- T cells that accumulate in lpr/lpr mice have previously expressed CD8, on the basis of studies of CD8 alpha gene demethylation...
- beta2-microglobulin dependence of the lupus-like autoimmune syndrome of MRL-lpr miceG J Christianson
The Jackson Laboratory, Bar Harbor, ME 04609, USA
J Immunol 156:4932-9. 1996MRL-lpr/lpr mice develop a distinctive immunologic disease characterized by accumulation of unusually large numbers of T cells in the peripheral lymphoid organs...
- A role for Fas in negative selection of thymocytes in vivoH Kishimoto
Department of Immunology, IMM4, The Scripps Research Institute, 10550 North Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla, California 92037, USA
J Exp Med 187:1427-38. 1998To seek information on the role of Fas in negative selection, we examined subsets of thymocytes from normal neonatal mice versus Fas-deficient lpr/lpr mice injected with graded doses of antigen...
- Protective role of Fas-FasL signaling in lethal infection with herpes simplex virus type 2 in miceTakahiro Ishikawa
Division of Host Defense, Medical Institute of Bioregulation, Kyushu University, Fukuoka, Japan
J Virol 83:11777-83. 2009..the roles of Fas-Fas ligand (FasL) signaling in lethal infection with HSV-2 by using mice with mutated Fas (lpr) or FasL (gld) in C57BL/6 background...
- The defect in Fas mRNA expression in MRL/lpr mice is associated with insertion of the retrotransposon, ETnJ L Chu
Hospital for Special Surgery, Cornell University Medical Center, New York, New York 10021
J Exp Med 178:723-30. 1993..A mutation in the Fas gene in MRL/lpr mice results in massive lymphoproliferation (lpr) and accelerated autoimmunity...
- IL-10 regulates murine lupusZhinan Yin
Section of Rheumatology, Department of Medicine, Yale School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06520, USA
J Immunol 169:2148-55. 2002MRL/MpJ-Tnfrsf6(lpr) (MRL/MpJ-Fas(lpr); MRL-Fas(lpr)) mice develop a spontaneous lupus syndrome closely resembling human systemic lupus erythematosus...
- Contribution of Fas to diabetes developmentAlexei Y Savinov
The Jackson Laboratory, 600 Main Street, Bar Harbor, ME 04609, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 100:628-32. 2003Fas (Tnfrsf6, Apo-1, CD95) is a death receptor involved in apoptosis induced in many cell types. Fas have been shown to be expressed by insulin-producing beta cells in mice and humans...
- T cell-independent and toll-like receptor-dependent antigen-driven activation of autoreactive B cellsRobin A Herlands
Department of Immunobiology, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06520 8035, USA
Immunity 29:249-60. 2008On the lupus-prone MRL-lpr/lpr (MRL-lpr) background, AM14 rheumatoid factor (RF) B cells are activated, differentiate into plasmablasts, and undergo somatic hypermutation outside of follicles...
- Essential roles of the Fas-Fas ligand pathway in the development of pulmonary fibrosisK Kuwano
Research Institute for Diseases of the Chest, Faculty of Medicine, Kyushu University, Fukuoka 812 8582, Japan
J Clin Invest 104:13-9. 1999..Here we demonstrated that the administration of a soluble form of Fas antigen or anti-Fas ligand antibody prevented the development of this model and that lpr and gld mice were resistant ..
- Deficient interleukin 2 activity in MRL/Mp and C57BL/6J mice bearing the lpr geneD Wofsy
J Exp Med 154:1671-80. 1981..Congenic MRL-+/+ and B6-+/+ mice, which lack the lpr gene responsible for accelerated autoimmunity and lymphoproliferation, have normal IL-2 activity...
- The accumulation of B220+ CD4- CD8- (DN) T cells in C3H-lpr/lpr mice is not accelerated by the stimulation of CD8+ T cells or B220+ DN T cells with staphylococcal enterotoxin B and occurs independently of V beta 8+ T cellsT Giese
Laboratory of Genetics, National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Int Immunol 7:1213-23. 1995..the accumulation of these T cells subsets are poorly understood but are clearly dependent on lack of expression of Fas in lpr mice and expression of defective FasL in gld mice. A role for V beta 8+ T cells also has been reported...
- Fas (CD95) participates in peripheral T cell deletion and associated apoptosis in vivoR J Mogil
Division of Cellular Immunology, La Jolla Institute for Allergy and Immunology, CA 92037, USA
Int Immunol 7:1451-8. 1995..deletion in mice carrying the lpr/lpr defect, which has been shown to be due to defective production of the CD95/Fas molecule...
- Fas and perforin pathways as major mechanisms of T cell-mediated cytotoxicityD Kagi
Department of Pathology, University of Zurich, Switzerland
Science 265:528-30. 1994Two molecular mechanisms of T cell-mediated cytotoxicity, one perforin-based, the other Fas-based, have been demonstrated...
- Breakdown of B cell tolerance in a mouse model of systemic lupus erythematosusJ H Roark
Wistar Institute, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104
J Exp Med 181:1157-67. 1995..stain nuclei in a homogenous nuclear (HN) fashion, are diagnostic of systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) and the MRL-lpr/lpr SLE murine model...
- The fas antigen is involved in peripheral but not thymic deletion of T lymphocytes in T cell receptor transgenic miceG G Singer
Department of Pathology, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115
Immunity 1:365-71. 1994The role of a cell death-associated gene, fas, in T lymphocyte development and responses to antigen has been analyzed by breeding a transgenic T cell receptor specific for the 81-104 peptide of pigeon cytochrome c into fas-defective MRL-..
- Chronic treatment of C3H-lpr/lpr and C3H-gld/gld mice with anti-CD8 monoclonal antibody prevents the accumulation of double negative T cells but not autoantibody productionT Giese
Laboratory of Genetics, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892
J Immunol 152:2000-10. 1994Mice homozygous for lpr or gld develop autoimmunity and progressive lymphoproliferative disease characterized by the accumulation of an unusual population of functionally impaired B220+, TCR-alpha/beta +, CD4-, CD8- double negative (DN) ..
- Mature T cells of autoimmune lpr/lpr mice have a defect in antigen-stimulated suicideJ H Russell
Department of Molecular Biology and Pharmacology, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 90:4409-13. 1993..Mutant lpr/lpr mice exhibit an autoimmune syndrome similar to systemic lupus erythematosus...
- Bcl-2 and Fas/APO-1 regulate distinct pathways to lymphocyte apoptosisA Strasser
Walter and Eliza Hall Institute of Medical Research, Royal Melbourne Hospital, Victoria, Australia
EMBO J 14:6136-47. 1995Activation of the cell surface receptor Fas/APO-1 (CD95) induces apoptosis in lymphocytes and regulates immune responses...
- Enhanced and accelerated lymphoproliferation in Fas-null miceM Adachi
Osaka Bioscience Institute, Japan
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 93:2131-6. 1996Fas is a 45-kDa membrane protein that transduces an apoptotic signal. The mouse lymphoproliferation (lpr) mutation is a leaky mutation of Fas. In this study, we examined lymphocyte development in Fas-null mice generated by gene targeting...
- IFN-gamma is essential for the development of autoimmune glomerulonephritis in MRL/Ipr miceC Haas
Institute of Toxicology, University of Zurich, Switzerland
J Immunol 158:5484-91. 1997MRL/lpr mice develop lymphoproliferation and accelerated autoimmune glomerulonephritis from which they ultimately die...
- The primary site of CD4- 8- B220+ alphabeta T cells in lpr mice: the appendix in normal miceS Yamagiwa
Department of Immunology, Niigata University School of Medicine, Japan
J Immunol 160:2665-74. 1998..reports on an abundance of CD4- 8- B220+ alphabeta T cells, seen in autoimmune mice carrying the lpr gene (abnormal Fas gene), in any immune organs of normal mice...
- Sp3 regulates fas expression in lung epithelial cellsH Pang
The Pulmonary Center, Boston University School of Medicine, 80 E Concord Street, Boston, MA 02118, USA
Biochem J 333:209-13. 1998By transducing an apoptotic signal in immune effector cells, Fas has been directly implicated in the control of immunological activity...
- Several different cell surface molecules control negative selection of medullary thymocytesH Kishimoto
Department of Immunology, Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, California 92037, USA
J Exp Med 190:65-73. 1999..of this idea, we show here that at least three cell surface molecules, namely CD28, CD5, and CD43, contribute to Fas-independent negative selection of the tolerance-susceptible population of heat-stable antigen (HSA)hiCD4+8- cells ..
- Anti-Sm B cell differentiation in Ig transgenic MRL/Mp-lpr/lpr mice: altered differentiation and an accelerated responseS Santulli-Marotto
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC 27599, USA
J Immunol 166:5292-9. 2001..In this report, we compare the regulation of anti-Sm B cells in nonautoimmune and autoimmune MRL/Mp-lpr/lpr (MRL/lpr) and bcl-2-22-Tg mice...
- Complement component C3 is not required for full expression of immune complex glomerulonephritis in MRL/lpr miceH Sekine
Department of Medicine, Medical University of South Carolina and the Medical Research Service, Ralph H Johnson Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Charleston, SC 29425, USA
J Immunol 166:6444-51. 2001..in lupus nephritis, mice rendered C3 deficient by targeted deletion were backcrossed for eight generations to MRL/lpr mice, a mouse strain that spontaneously develops lupus-like disease...
- Complement C4 is protective for lupus disease independent of C3Shirit Einav
Center for Blood Research and Department of Pediatrics, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Immunol 168:1036-41. 2002..C3 in mediating systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) was examined using a double-knockout C3(null)C4(null) Fas (CD95)-deficient mouse model...
- Genetic modifiers of systemic lupus erythematosus in FcgammaRIIB(-/-) miceSilvia Bolland
Laboratory of Molecular Genetics and Immunology, The Rockefeller University, New York, NY 10021, USA
J Exp Med 195:1167-74. 2002..we have constructed hybrids between FcgammaRIIB(-/-) and the systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) modifiers yaa and lpr and the susceptibility locus Sle1. Sle1 and B6...
- Shutdown of an acute T cell immune response to viral infection is mediated by the proapoptotic Bcl-2 homology 3-only protein BimMarc Pellegrini
Division of Molecular Genetics of Cancer, The Walter and Eliza Hall Institute of Medical Research, Parkville 3050, Australia
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 100:14175-80. 2003We used mutant Fas-deficient (lpr) or Bim-deficient mice to investigate the role of the death receptor and Bcl-2-regulated apoptotic pathways in terminating a physiological T cell response to herpes simplex virus infection...
- Toll-like receptor 7 and TLR9 dictate autoantibody specificity and have opposing inflammatory and regulatory roles in a murine model of lupusSean R Christensen
Section of Immunobiology, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06510, USA
Immunity 25:417-28. 2006..These findings reveal opposing inflammatory and regulatory roles for TLR7 and TLR9, despite similar tissue expression and signaling pathways. These results have important implications for TLR-directed therapy of autoimmune disease...
- FcgammaRIIb controls bone marrow plasma cell persistence and apoptosisZou Xiang
Cambridge Institute for Medical Research and the Department of Medicine, University of Cambridge School of Clinical Medicine, Addenbrooke s Hospital, Cambridge CB2 2OY, UK
Nat Immunol 8:419-29. 2007..Our results suggest that FcgammaRIIb controls bone marrow plasma cell persistence and that defects in it may contribute to autoantibody production...
- Elimination of antigen-presenting cells and autoreactive T cells by Fas contributes to prevention of autoimmunityPeter B Stranges
The Jackson Laboratory, 600 Main Street, Bar Harbor, ME 04609, USA
Immunity 26:629-41. 2007..This paradigm is based on the extensive lymphoproliferation and systemic autoimmunity in mice and humans lacking Fas or its ligand...
- The lpr and gld genes in systemic autoimmunity: life and death in the Fas laneP L Cohen
Dept of Medicine, University of North Carolina School of Medicine, Chapel Hill 27599 7280
Immunol Today 13:427-8. 1992The single gene lpr and gld models of spontaneous systemic autoimmunity have attracted much attention in recent years...
- Liver is a possible site for the proliferation of abnormal CD3+4-8- double-negative lymphocytes in autoimmune MRL-lpr/lpr miceT Ohteki
Department of Microbiology, Tohoku University School of Dentistry, Sendai, Japan
J Exp Med 172:7-12. 1990MRL-lpr/lpr mice develop a severe autoimmune disease that resembles systemic lupus erythematosis in humans...
- Abnormalities induced by the mutant gene Ipr: expansion of a unique lymphocyte subsetH C Morse
J Immunol 129:2612-5. 1982..These results suggest that an abnormal proliferating population of T cells in Ipr/Ipr mice aberrantly express B cell surface markers...
- Fas receptor expression on B-lineage cellsL Mandik
Wistar Institute, Philadelphia 19104, USA
Eur J Immunol 25:3148-54. 1995..The lpr defect has been identified as a mutation in the apoptosis-associated Fas receptor (FasR) gene...
- Correction of accelerated autoimmune disease by early replacement of the mutated lpr gene with the normal Fas apoptosis gene in the T cells of transgenic MRL-lpr/lpr miceJ Wu
University of Alabama at Birmingham 35294
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 91:2344-8. 1994..The lpr genetic defect has been identified as a mutation in the Fas apoptosis gene that results in low expression of Fas mRNA...
- Massive upregulation of the Fas ligand in lpr and gld mice: implications for Fas regulation and the graft-versus-host disease-like wasting syndromeJ L Chu
Specialized Center of Research in Systemic Lupus Erythematosus, Hospital for Special Surgery Cornell University Medical Center, New York 10021
J Exp Med 181:393-8. 1995Fas-deficient lpr and gld mice develop lymphadenopathy due to the accumulation of T cells with an unusual double negative (DN) (CD4-CD8-) phenotype...
- A single injection of Staphylococcus aureus enterotoxin B reduces autoimmunity in MRL/lpr miceJ A Gonzalo
Centro de Biologia Molecular, CSIC, Madrid, Spain
Clin Immunol Immunopathol 71:176-82. 1994MRL/Mp-lpr/lpr (MRL/lpr) mice carry a mutation in the Fas gene whose product is involved in the regulation of lymphocyte apoptosis. This mutation is associated with the lpr phenomenon, i.e...
- T-B collaboration for autoantibody production in lpr mice is cognate and MHC-restrictedE S Sobel
Department of Medicine, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill 27599
J Immunol 152:6011-6. 1994..we have constructed bone marrow chimeras with Ig heavy chain (lgh) allotype- and I-A-congenic donor B6/lpr mice and I-A-congenic recipients...
- V region gene analysis of anti-Sm hybridomas from MRL/Mp-lpr/lpr miceD D Bloom
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill 27599
J Immunol 150:1591-610. 1993..specificity and V-region gene sequences of 41 anti-Sm B cell hybridomas derived from nine anti-Sm-positive MRL/Mp-lpr/lpr mice. The majority of hybridomas are specific for the D peptide of the Sm particle...
- Unequal death in T helper cell (Th)1 and Th2 effectors: Th1, but not Th2, effectors undergo rapid Fas/FasL-mediated apoptosisX Zhang
University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, California 92093, USA
J Exp Med 185:1837-49. 1997T helper cell (Th) 1, but not Th2, effectors undergo rapid Fas/Fas ligand (FasL)-mediated, activation-induced cell death upon restimulation with antigen. Unequal apoptosis is also observed without restimulation, after a longer lag period...
- Daxx, a novel Fas-binding protein that activates JNK and apoptosisX Yang
Department of Biology, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge 02139, USA
Cell 89:1067-76. 1997The Fas cell surface receptor induces apoptosis upon receptor oligomerization. We have identified a novel signaling protein, termed Daxx, that binds specifically to the Fas death domain...
- B cell genotype determines the fine specificity of autoantibody in lpr miceV N Kakkanaiah
Department of Medicine, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 27599, USA
J Immunol 159:1027-35. 1997..In humans, anti-Sm Abs are mostly IgG1, and in MRL/lpr mice, IgG2a; both are T-dependent isotypes...
- Intercellular adhesion molecule-1 deficiency prolongs survival and protects against the development of pulmonary inflammation during murine lupusC M Lloyd
Millennium Pharmaceuticals Inc, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02139, USA
J Clin Invest 100:963-71. 1997..Furthermore, the lack of pulmonary inflammation was found to be due to decreased migration of leukocytes to the lung rather than decreased in situ proliferation of cells...
- Interferon-gamma is required for lupus-like disease and lymphoaccumulation in MRL-lpr miceD Balomenos
The Scripps Research Institute, Department of Immunology, La Jolla, California 92037, USA
J Clin Invest 101:364-71. 1998Congenic MRL-lpr mice homozygous and heterozygous for the IFN-gamma gene disruption were created to assess the role of this pleotropic cytokine on the lymphoaccumulation and lupus-like disease of Fas-defective mice...
- A new role for B cells in systemic autoimmunity: B cells promote spontaneous T cell activation in MRL-lpr/lpr miceO Chan
Section of Immunobiology, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06520 8035, USA
J Immunol 160:51-9. 1998..To test the role of B cells directly, we previously generated autoimmune-prone MRL-lpr/lpr mice that lack B cells...
- Spontaneous development of plasmacytoid tumors in mice with defective Fas-Fas ligand interactionsW F Davidson
Laboratory of Genetics, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
J Exp Med 187:1825-38. 1998..In this report we investigated the possibility that mutations at the Fas (lpr) and Fasl (gld) loci, which prevent Fas-mediated apoptosis and cause an early onset benign lymphoid ..
- Genetic determinants of autoimmune disease and coronary vasculitis in the MRL-lpr/lpr mouse model of systemic lupus erythematosusL Gu
Department of Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles 90095, USA
J Immunol 161:6999-7006. 1998MRL-lpr/lpr (MRL/lpr) mice are a model of human autoimmune disease...
- Deficiency of 5-lipoxygenase abolishes sex-related survival differences in MRL-lpr/lpr miceJ L Goulet
Division of Nephrology, Department of Medicine, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27705, USA
J Immunol 163:359-66. 1999..To investigate the role of LTs in autoimmune disease, we generated an MRL-lpr/lpr mouse line with a targeted disruption of the 5lo gene...
- Fas and Fas ligand in gut and liverM J Pinkoski
Division of Cellular Immunology, La Jolla Institute for Allergy and Immunology, San Diego, California 92121, USA
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 278:G354-66. 2000..Perhaps the best-studied death receptor and ligand system is the Fas/Fas ligand (FasL) system, in which FasL, a member of the tumor necrosis factor (TNF) family of death-inducing ..
- Concomitant early appearance of anti-ribonucleoprotein and anti-nucleosome antibodies in lupus prone miceDiego Laderach
INSERM U25, Hopital Necker, 161 rue de Sevres, 75743 Cedex 15, Paris, France
J Autoimmun 20:161-70. 2003....
- FcgammaRIIB deficiency with Fas mutation is sufficient for the development of systemic autoimmune diseaseKaori Yajima
Department of Experimental Immunology, Institute of Development, Aging and Cancer, Tohoku University, Sendai, Japan
Eur J Immunol 33:1020-9. 2003MRL.Fas(lpr/lpr) mice, a model for systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) and arthritis in humans, have a Fas mutation that results in spontaneous development of systemic autoimmune diseases and a short life span...
- Maintenance, loss, and resurgence of T cell responses during acute, protracted, and chronic viral infectionsMichael J Fuller
Department of Microbiology, University of Alabama, Birmingham, AL 35294, USA
J Immunol 172:4204-14. 2004....
- Type I IFN protects against murine lupusJonathan D Hron
Department of Internal Medicine, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
J Immunol 173:2134-42. 2004..However, deficiency for the IFN-RI surprisingly worsened lymphoproliferation, autoantibody production, and end organ disease; animals doubly deficient for IFN-RI and IFN-RII developed ..
- Naive CD4+ T cells from lupus-prone Fas-intact MRL mice display TCR-mediated hyperproliferation due to intrinsic threshold defects in activationChristina E Zielinski
Section of Rheumatology, Department of Medicine, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06520 8031, USA
J Immunol 174:5100-9. 2005..IL-2 production, and single cell calcium signaling of naive CD4+ T cells isolated from Fas-intact MRL/+(Fas-lpr) mice with H-2k-matched B10...
- B lymphocytes mediate Fas-dependent cytotoxicity in MRL/lpr miceDanielle Bonardelle
CNRS UPR 9045, Villejuif, France
J Leukoc Biol 78:1052-9. 2005..However, MRL/lpr autoimmune-prone mice massively overexpress FasL on their T lymphocytes, which render them able to kill Fas+ ..
- Membranous glomerulonephritis development with Th2-type immune deviations in MRL/lpr mice deficient for IL-27 receptor (WSX-1)Sakiko Shimizu
Department of Medicine and Biosystemic Science, Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Kyushu University, Maidashi, Fukuoka, Japan
J Immunol 175:7185-92. 2005MRL/lpr mice develop spontaneous glomerulonephritis that is essentially identical with diffuse proliferative glomerulonephritis (World Health Organization class IV) in human lupus nephritis...
- Anti-Tumor Autoimmunity by lymphopenia T cell ExpansionRoberto Baccala; Fiscal Year: 2008..The results will define the role of homeostatic T cell proliferation in tumor autoimmunity, and provide new approaches to the treatment of cancer. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Roles of MIF and iNOS in SLE-associate inflammationMichael Hickey; Fiscal Year: 2007..Using IVM, we will define the regulatory role of NO in the MRL/fas-lpr model of SLE...
- BRAIN CELL DEATH IN MRL MICE: TARGETS AND MECHANISMSBoris Sakic; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- HIV ASSOCIATED NEPHROPATHY IN DRUG ADDICTSPravin Singhal; Fiscal Year: 2007..3. Drugs modulation of the renin-angiotensin system contributes to the progression of renal lesions in mice with HIVAN. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- CD40-CD154 Interactions in Cryptosporidial ImmunityESTHER PONNURAJ; Fiscal Year: 2004..The results will be important for immunodeficient humans chronically infected with the parasite. ..
- PATHOGENESIS OF MURINE SYSTEMIC LUPUS ERYTHEMATOSUSDWIGHT KONO; Fiscal Year: 2009..Identification of the susceptibility genes and elucidation of their roles in the induction of lupus should provide significant insights into the etiopathogenesis of genetically-determined autoimmune diseases. ..
- B CELL REPERTOIRE FORMATIONANN FEENEY; Fiscal Year: 2009..Together, these studies should give insight into the epigenetic mechanisms and cis-elements which control VH gene rearrangement in fetal and adult pro-B cells. ..
- Sex in MyocarditisSally Huber; Fiscal Year: 2008..By understanding the factors controlling virus infection and induction of innate immunity, better mechanism for controlling viral disease should be possible. ..
- Cell Cycle Inhibition in Systemic AutoimmunityDWIGHT KONO; Fiscal Year: 2009..The final aim will determine the role of Fas-induced apoptosis in the disease reduction observed in BXSB-p21"7" mice...
- Impact of Fli-1 expression on lupus disease developmentXian Zhang; Fiscal Year: 2007..In preliminary studies for this proposal, we found that genetic reduction of Fli-1 expression in MRL/lpr mice significantly prolonged survival, decreased auto antibody production, and decreased renal pathologic ..
- Otitis Media Impact on the Inner EarDennis Trune; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Receptor Editing in Autoimmune and Normal MiceANN FEENEY; Fiscal Year: 2009In this application, we will compare the responses of B cells from MRL/lpr lupus prone mice and non-autoimmune mice to receptor editing signals, testing the hypothesis that lupus-prone strains of mice have misregulated receptor editing ..
- MOLECULAR ANALYSIS OF THE ANTIH INFLUENZAE RESPONSEANN FEENEY; Fiscal Year: 2001..We will also further analyze the diversity in the ani-hib response through the use of combinatorial libraries, correlating affinity with the Vh, Vk and CDR3's which are used. ..
- CDI and Gamma Delta+ in Viral MyocarditisSally Huber; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Analysis of Viral Resistance in CMV RetinitisDOUGLAS JABS; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Heavy Metal-Induced AutoimmunityDWIGHT KONO; Fiscal Year: 2005..are potent environmental immunostimulants that produce a number of immunopathologic sequelae including lymphoproliferation, hypergammaglobulinemia and overt systemic autoimmunity...
- CMV RETINITIS AND VIRAL RESISTANCEDOUGLAS JABS; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- Sex-based differences in regulatory T cell responsesMICHELE KOSIEWICZ; Fiscal Year: 2004..The results of these studies will provide important information that can lead to the development of novel therapies for the prevention and treatment of autoimmune disease. ..
- STUDIES OF LUNG DISEASES OF HIV TRANSGENIC MICEPaul Jolicoeur; Fiscal Year: 2009..This research is especially relevant to public health, especially children with AIDS, developing lung diseases at high frequency. ..
- ROLE OF COMPLEMENT FACTOR B IN THE PATHOGENESIS OF SLEGary Gilkeson; Fiscal Year: 2004..Bf and the alternative pathway play in autoimmune disease, we bred the Bf knockout genotype to the lupus prone MRL/lpr background...
- Requirements for regulatory T cell developmentMICHELE KOSIEWICZ; Fiscal Year: 2003..These experiments may determine the requirements for regulatory T cell development, and thereby, identify pathways that can be therapeutically manipulated to prevent and/or treat autoimmune diseases. ..
- T reg Cells in MyocarditisSally A Huber; Fiscal Year: 2010..Determine whether the T reg cells are antigen specific (virus), cardiovascular specific (autoimmunity), or non-antigen specific. ..
- IMMUNOMODULATORY STRATEGIES IN AUTOIMMUNE GASTRITISMICHELE KOSIEWICZ; Fiscal Year: 2002..This strategy may be used in conjunction with TGFbeta-treated APCs to successfully treat established autoimmune disease. ..
- CARDIAC LESIONS IN HIV1 TRANSGENIC MICEPaul Jolicoeur; Fiscal Year: 2001..End of Abstract) ..
- Analyzing and modulating immunoregulatory defects in autoimmune disease.Michele M Kosiewicz; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..
- PROTEIN PROFILING OF ORAL MUCOSA OF HIV TRANSGENIC MICEPaul Jolicoeur; Fiscal Year: 2010..This research is especially relevant to public health in view of the high frequency of oral complications (especially candidiasis) in HIV-1 infected individuals. ..
- "The alveolar epithelium in lung injury and repair"Gustavo Matute Bello; Fiscal Year: 2010..S. each year and is an important cause of morbidity and mortality in hospitalized patients. Our work has shown that Fas-dependent pathways are active in the lungs of patients with ALI, and that stimulation of Fas-dependent pathways ..
- Control of Accessibility for V(D) J RecombinationANN FEENEY; Fiscal Year: 2006..We will determine if other transcription factors such as Pax5 or Btk will induce rearrangement of other Ig loci, such as Vh or lambda. ..
- Development of Cellular Assays of Dengue Virus InfectionPriscilla Yang; Fiscal Year: 2008..These inhibitors can be used to study how dengue virus interacts with its host, and they may also be useful in developing therapies for the treatment of dengue virus infections. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Microglial Cell Activation by Thrombin in StrokeJonathan Weinstein; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- The FastFasL system in lung injuryGustavo Matute Bello; Fiscal Year: 2006..Binding of sFasL to Fas (CD95) in alveolar epithelial cells results in apoptosis and epithelial damage...
- ROLE OF PPAR GAMMA IN LUPUS NEPHRITISGary Gilkeson; Fiscal Year: 2005..In the MRL/lpr mouse model of lupus, macrophages and mesangial cells are hyperresponsive to immune stimuli as evidenced by ..
- Sex in Viral MyocarditisSally Huber; Fiscal Year: 2004..These studies may provide new insights as to how viruses affect developing host defense responses and how hormones can modulate this initial response. ..
- CHEMOKINES IN LUNG DISEASE OF HIV1 TRANSGENIC MICEPaul Jolicoeur; Fiscal Year: 2003..4- To determine whether blocking or deleting specific chemokines or their receptors and overexpressing some chemokine receptors alter the development of lymphocytic interstitial pneumonitis. ..
- CD4+ T CELLS PROMOTE EARLY ATHEROSCLEROSISSally Huber; Fiscal Year: 2002..Specific Aim 3 will investigate the role of CD4+ T cells in atherogenesis and evaluate whether these cells promote Th1 cell dominance. ..
- OCULAR IMMUNOPATHOLOGY IN AUTOIMMUNE MODELSDOUGLAS JABS; Fiscal Year: 2001..The 1pr mutation produces defective Fas antigen, which results in defective lymphocytic apoptosis and accelerates the autoimmune disease...