Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Edn1
Description: endothelin 1
Alias: ET-1, preproET, PPET1, endothelin-1, preproendothelin, preproendothelin-1
Publications109 found, 100 shown here
- Abnormal heart development and lung remodeling in mice lacking the hypoxia-inducible factor-related basic helix-loop-helix PAS protein NEPASToshiharu Yamashita
Department of Regenerative Medicine, Institute of Basic Medical Sciences, University of Tsukuba, 1 1 1 Tennoudai, Tsukuba 305 8575, Japan
Mol Cell Biol 28:1285-97. 2008..The expression of endothelin 1 and platelet-derived growth factor beta was increased in the lung endothelial cells of NEPAS/HIF-3alpha-null ..
- Loss of the aryl hydrocarbon receptor induces hypoxemia, endothelin-1, and systemic hypertension at modest altitudeAmie K Lund
College of Pharmacy, University of New Mexico Health Sciences Center, Albuquerque, USA
Hypertension 51:803-9. 2008..Our studies establish the AHR KO mouse as a model in which modest decreases in PIO(2) lead to hypoxemia, increased plasma ET-1, and systemic hypertension without increased pulmonary prepro-ET-1 mRNA expression...
- Endothelial endothelin-1 over-expression using receptor tyrosine kinase tie-1 promoter leads to more severe vascular permeability and blood brain barrier breakdown after transient middle cerebral artery occlusionJustin W C Leung
Department of Anatomy, The University of Hong Kong, HKSAR, China
Brain Res 1266:121-9. 2009....
- An endothelin-1 switch specifies maxillomandibular identityTakahiro Sato
Department of Physiological Chemistry and Metabolism, Graduate School of Medicine, University of Tokyo, 7 3 1 Hongo, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 0033, Japan
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105:18806-11. 2008..The endothelin-1 (Edn1)/endothelin receptor type-A (Ednra)-->Dlx5/6-->Hand2 signaling pathway is necessary for lower jaw formation...
- Vehicular emissions induce vascular MMP-9 expression and activity associated with endothelin-1-mediated pathwaysAmie K Lund
Lovelace Respiratory Research Institute, Department of Toxicology, Albuquerque, NM 87108, USA
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 29:511-7. 2009....
- A signaling cascade involving endothelin-1, dHAND and msx1 regulates development of neural-crest-derived branchial arch mesenchymeT Thomas
Department of Pediatrics, Division of Cardiology and Department of Molecular Biology and Oncology, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas 75235 9148, USA edu
Development 125:3005-14. 1998..Mice harboring a null mutation of the endothelin-1 gene (Edn1), which is expressed in the epithelial layer of the branchial arches and encodes for the endothelin-1 (ET-1) ..
- Selective over-expression of endothelin-1 in endothelial cells exacerbates inner retinal edema and neuronal death in ischemic retinaSimon S F Cheung
Department of Anatomy, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, China
PLoS ONE 6:e26184. 2011..Thus, over-expression of endothelial ET-1 in TET-1 mice may contribute to increased glutamate-induced neurotoxicity on neuronal cells and water accumulation in inner retina leading to edema...
- Spironolactone rescues Dot1a-Af9-mediated repression of endothelin-1 and improves kidney injury in streptozotocin-induced diabetic ratsQiaoling Zhou
Department of Nephropathy, Xiangya Hospital, Central South University, Changsha City, Hunan Province, People s Republic of China
PLoS ONE 7:e47360. 2012..Therefore, Dot1a and Af9 as aldosterone-downregulated targets are negative regulators of endothelin-1 transcription in vitro and in vivo, and may be considered as new potential therapeutic targets of kidney injury in diabetes...
- Role of Endothelin-1/Endothelin-A receptor-mediated signaling pathway in the aortic arch patterning in miceH Yanagisawa
Department of Biochemistry, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas, Dallas, Texas 75235 9050, USA
J Clin Invest 102:22-33. 1998..This study demonstrates that ET-1/ETA-mediated signaling plays an essential role in a complex process of aortic arch patterning by affecting the postmigratory cardiac neural crest cell development...
- High fat feeding impairs endothelin-1 mediated vasoconstriction through increased iNOS-derived nitric oxideK L Sweazea
College of Nursing and Health Innovation, Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ 85287 4501, USA
Horm Metab Res 43:470-6. 2011..Therefore, oxidative stress and iNOS are involved in the attenuation of endothelin-1 mediated vasoconstriction observed in isolated mesenteric arteries from high fat fed rats...
- The canonical Wnt signaling activator, R-spondin2, regulates craniofacial patterning and morphogenesis within the branchial arch through ectodermal-mesenchymal interactionYong Ri Jin
Center for Molecular Medicine, Maine Medical Center Research Institute, Maine Medical Center, 81 Research Drive, Scarborough, ME 04074, USA
Dev Biol 352:1-13. 2011..Dlx5, Dlx6, and Hand2 genes in mesenchymal cells via inducing expression of their upstream activator, Endothelin1 (Edn1), within ectodermal cells...
- Alterations in nitric oxide and endothelin-1 bioactivity underlie cerebrovascular dysfunction in ApoE-deficient miceKazuo Yamashiro
Clinical Pharmacology, William Harvey Research Institute, Barts and the London School of Medicine and Dentistry, Charterhouse Square, London, UK
J Cereb Blood Flow Metab 30:1494-503. 2010..Taken together, our data suggest that the endothelial dysfunction observed in MCA associated with hypercholesterolemia is prevented by cilostazol, an effect likely due to the increase in eNOS phosphorylation and, therefore, activity...
- Endothelin-1 regulates cardiac sympathetic innervation in the rodent heart by controlling nerve growth factor expressionMasaki Ieda
Cardiopulmonary Division, Department of Internal Medicine, Keio University School of Medicine, Tookyo, Japan
J Clin Invest 113:876-84. 2004..These findings indicate that endothelin-1 regulates NGF expression in cardiomyocytes and plays a critical role in sympathetic innervation of the heart...
- Mast cells promote homeostasis by limiting endothelin-1-induced toxicityMarcus Maurer
Department of Pathology, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02215, USA
Nature 432:512-6. 2004..These findings identify a new biological function for mast cells: promotion of homeostasis by limiting the toxicity associated with an endogenous mediator...
- BMPR2 mutation alters the lung macrophage endothelin-1 cascade in a mouse model and patients with heritable pulmonary artery hypertensionM Talati
Department of Medicine, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, Tennessee 27232 2650, USA
Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 299:L363-73. 2010..This is the first description of protein expression that distinguishes HPAH from IPAH in patients...
- Low blood pressure in endothelial cell-specific endothelin 1 knockout miceYaz Y Kisanuki
Departments of Molecular Genetics, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Tex75390 8584, USA
Hypertension 56:121-8. 2010..Taken in conjunction with other lines of genetically altered mice, our results provide evidence for a paracrine vasoregulatory pathway mediated by endothelial cell-derived ET-1 acting on the vascular smooth muscle ET(A) receptor...
- Role of endothelin 1 in the pathogenesis of chronic chagasic heart diseaseHerbert B Tanowitz
Department of Pathology, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, 1300 Morris Park Ave, Bronx, NY 10461, USA
Infect Immun 73:2496-503. 2005On the basis of previous observations, endothelin 1 (ET-1) has been suggested as contributing to the pathogenesis of Chagasic cardiomyopathy...
- Endothelin-1/endothelin-B receptor-mediated increases in NHE3 activity in chronic metabolic acidosisK Laghmani
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas 75390 9003, USA
J Clin Invest 107:1563-9. 2001..In C57BL/6 mice, excess acid ingestion increased renal cortical preproET-1 mRNA expression 2.4-fold and decreased preproET-3 mRNA expression by 37%...
- Blockade of endothelin-1 with a novel series of 1,3,6-trisubstituted-2-carboxy-quinol-4-ones controls infection-associated preterm birthNicole S Olgun
College of Pharmacy and Allied Health Professions, St John s University, Jamaica, New York 11439, USA
Am J Pathol 177:1929-35. 2010..These findings may be of clinical significance, as there is currently no FDA-approved therapy for women presenting with threatened preterm delivery...
- Endogenous aldosterone contributes to acute angiotensin II-stimulated plasminogen activator inhibitor-1 and preproendothelin-1 expression in heart but not aortaJames M Luther
Division of Clinical Pharmacology, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, Tennessee 37232 6602, USA
Endocrinology 150:2229-36. 2009..infusion (600 ng/kg x min) of Ang II on tissue mRNA expression of plasminogen activator inhibitor 1 (PAI-1), preproendothelin-1 (ppET-1), TGF-beta, and osteopontin in wild-type (WT), aldosterone synthase-deficient (AS(-/-)), and AS(-/-)..
- Endothelial cell-derived endothelin-1 promotes cardiac fibrosis in diabetic hearts through stimulation of endothelial-to-mesenchymal transitionBambang Widyantoro
Division of Cardiovascular Medicine, Department of Internal Medicine, Kobe University Graduate School of Medicine, 7 5 1 Kusunoki cho, Chuo Ku, Kobe 650 0017, Japan
Circulation 121:2407-18. 2010..The underlying mechanism, however, remains elusive. Here, we hypothesize that ET-1 might contribute to the accumulation of cardiac fibroblasts through an endothelial-to-mesenchymal transition in diabetic hearts...
- Vascular endothelial cell-derived endothelin-1 mediates vascular inflammation and neointima formation following blood flow cessationDyah W Anggrahini
Division of Cardiovascular Medicine, Department of Internal Medicine, 7 5 1 Kusunoki, Chuo, Kobe 650 0017, Japan
Cardiovasc Res 82:143-51. 2009..In this study, we determined the role of vascular endothelial ET-1 on vascular inflammation and neointima formation using vascular endothelial ET-1-knockout [ET-1(f/f); Tie2-Cre (+)] mice...
- Endothelin-1 decreases gap junctional intercellular communication by inducing phosphorylation of connexin 43 in human ovarian carcinoma cellsFrancesca Spinella
Laboratories of Molecular Pathology and Ultrastructure and Immunology, Regina Elena Cancer Institute, Rome 00158, Italy
J Biol Chem 278:41294-301. 2003....
- Endothelin-1 expression in vascular adventitial fibroblastsSheng Jun An
Dept of Community Health Sciences, Faculty of Applied Health Sciences, Brock Univ, St Catharines, ON, Canada L2S 3Y6
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 290:H700-8. 2006..mRNA levels of preproET-1 and type I procollagen were detected with relative RT-PCR...
- Endothelin-1 is a critical mediator of myogenic tone in tumor arterioles: implications for cancer treatmentPierre Sonveaux
University of Louvain Medical School, Unit of Pharmacology and Therapeutics FATH 5349, Brussels, Belgium
Cancer Res 64:3209-14. 2004..Thus, blocking the tumor-selective increase in the vascular endothelin-1/ETA pathway led us to unravel an important reserve of vasorelaxation that can be exploited to selectively increase tumor response to radiotherapy...
- Endothelial cell-specific ETB receptor knockout: autoradiographic and histological characterisation and crucial role in the clearance of endothelin-1N F Kelland
Clinical Pharmacology Unit, Centre for Cardiovascular Science, University of Edinburgh, Queen s Medical Research Institute, Edinburgh EH16 4TJ, UK
Can J Physiol Pharmacol 88:644-51. 2010..These studies suggest that EC-ETB are largely responsible for the clearance of ET-1 from the circulation...
- Connexin43 is involved in the effect of endothelin-1 on astrocyte proliferation and glucose uptakeSandra Herrero-González
Departamento de Bioquimica y Biologia Molecular, INCYL, Universidad de Salamanca, Spain
Glia 57:222-33. 2009..Interestingly, although the rate of growth in connexin43 KO astrocytes has been reported to be reduced, we observed that an acute reduction in connexin43 by siRNA increased proliferation and glucose uptake...
- Increased sensitivity to acute and persistent pain in neuron-specific endothelin-1 knockout miceF Hasue
Department of Autonomic Physiology, 1 8 1, Nohana, Chuo Ku, Chiba shi, Chiba 260 8670, Japan
Neuroscience 130:349-58. 2005..The results of the present study suggest that neuronal ET-1 is involved in endogenous pain inhibitory control likely via pathways through the hypothalamus...
- Endothelin-1 inhibits adiponectin secretion through a phosphatidylinositol 4,5-bisphosphate/actin-dependent mechanismDeepa Bedi
Boshell Diabetes and Metabolic Diseases Research Program, Department of Anatomy, Physiology and Pharmacology, Auburn University, USA
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 345:332-9. 2006..In conclusion, we demonstrate that ET-1 inhibits basal and insulin-stimulated adiponectin secretion through PIP(2) modulation of the actin cytoskeleton...
- Endothelin-1 contributes to increased NFATc3 activation by chronic hypoxia in pulmonary arteriesSergio de Frutos
Department of Cell Biology and Physiology, School of Medicine, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM, 87131, USA
Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 301:C441-50. 2011..Here, we demonstrate that ROK increases actin polymerization, thus providing structural support for NFATc3 nuclear transport...
- Galphaq and Galpha11 proteins mediate endothelin-1 signaling in neural crest-derived pharyngeal arch mesenchymeKathryn Ivey
Department of Molecular Biology, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, 5323 Harry Hines Boulevard, Dallas, TX 75390 9104, USA
Dev Biol 255:230-7. 2003..We conclude that the Galpha(q) and Galpha(11) proteins serve as the intracellular mediators of ET-1 signaling in the pharyngeal arch mesenchyme...
- Dexamethasone stimulates endothelin-1 gene expression in renal collecting duct cellsLisa R Stow
Department of Medicine, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32610, United States
Steroids 77:360-6. 2012Aldosterone stimulates the endothelin-1 gene (Edn1) in renal collecting duct (CD) cells by a mechanism involving the mineralocorticoid receptor (MR) and the glucocorticoid receptor (GR)...
- APPL1 counteracts obesity-induced vascular insulin resistance and endothelial dysfunction by modulating the endothelial production of nitric oxide and endothelin-1 in miceYi Wang
Department of Medicine, Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Huashan Hospital, Shanghai Medical College, Fudan University, Shanghai, China
Diabetes 60:3044-54. 2011..This study aimed to investigate the roles of the multidomain adaptor protein APPL1 in modulating vascular actions of insulin in mice and in endothelial cells...
- The inhibitory effect of miRNA-1 on ET-1 gene expressionDong Li
Department of Physiology, Second Military Medical University, Shanghai 200433, China
FEBS Lett 586:1014-21. 2012..We further confirmed that miRNA-1 could inhibit endogenous ET-1 gene expression at the post-transcriptional level. Our study provides a new perspective on the regulatory mechanism of ET-1 gene...
- Involvement of stress-activated protein kinase/c-Jun N-terminal kinase in endothelin-1-induced heat shock protein 27 in osteoblastsH Tokuda
Department of Internal Medicine, Chubu National Hospital, National Institute for Longevity Sciences, Obu, Aichi 474 8511, Japan
Eur J Endocrinol 149:239-45. 2003..In the present study, we have investigated the involvement of SAPK/JNK in ET-1-induced HSP27 in MC3T3-E1 cells...
- Endothelin-1 induces connective tissue growth factor expression in cardiomyocytesAnna Grazia Recchia
Department of Pharmaco Biology, Cell Biology, University of Calabria, 87036 Rende CS, Italy
J Mol Cell Cardiol 46:352-9. 2009..CTGF inhibitors should be considered in setting a comprehensive pharmacological approach towards ET-1 induced cardiovascular diseases...
- Over-expression of endothelin-1 in astrocytes, but not endothelial cells, ameliorates inflammatory pain response after formalin injectionVictor K L Hung
Department of Anaesthesiology, The University of Hong Kong, HKSAR, China
Life Sci 91:618-22. 2012..Therefore, the aim of this study is to determine the role of cell-type specific ET-1 induction in the modulation of inflammatory pain processing...
- Role of cardiac myocyte-derived endothelin-1 in chagasic cardiomyopathy: molecular genetic evidenceHuan Huang
Department of Pathology, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, 1300 Morris Park, Bronx, New York, NY 10461, U S A
Clin Sci (Lond) 103:263S-266S. 2002..These data provide further support for a role for ET-1 in the pathogenesis of chronic chagasic heart disease, and indicate that cardiac myocytes are an important source of ET-1 in this disease...
- Increased gene expression of endothelin-1 and vasoactive intestinal contractor/endothelin-2 in the mammary gland of lactating miceTakaharu Kozakai
Laboratory of Gene Function Analysis, Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology, National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology AIST, Central 6, 1 1 1 Higashi, Tsukuba, 305 8566, Ibaraki, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 297:1339-43. 2002..The observed increase in ET-1 expression in differentiated epithelial cells suggests physiological roles for ET-1, including milk production and secretion in the mammary gland of lactating mice...
- Cre-mediated gene inactivation demonstrates that FGF8 is required for cell survival and patterning of the first branchial archA Trumpp
G W Hooper Foundation, Department of Microbiology, School of Medicine, University of California at San Francisco UCSF, San Francisco, California 94143 0552, USA
Genes Dev 13:3136-48. 1999..Because the mutant mice resemble humans with first arch syndromes that include agnathia, our results raise the possibility that some of these syndromes are caused by mutations that affect FGF8 signaling in BA1 ectoderm...
- Lack of iNOS impairs endothelial function in endothelin-1 transgenic miceThomas Quaschning
Department of Nephrology, University Hospital of Freiburg, Freiburg, Germany
Kidney Blood Press Res 31:127-34. 2008....
- Endothelin-1, but not Ang II, activates MAP kinases through c-Src independent Ras-Raf dependent pathways in vascular smooth muscle cellsA Yogi
Kidney Research Centre, University of Ottawa Ottawa Health Research Institute, 451 Smyth Rd, Ottawa, ON, KIH 8M5
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 27:1960-7. 2007..Here we sought to determine whether upstream regulators of mitogen-activated protein kinases (MAPKs) are differentially regulated by ET-1 and Ang II focusing on the role of c-Src and the small GTPase Ras...
- Role of endogenous endothelin in endothelial dysfunction in murine model of systemic sclerosis: tight skin mice 1Vincent Richard
Inserm U644 and Rouen University Hospital, Institute for Biomedical Research and IFRMP 23, University of Rouen, Rouen, France
Fundam Clin Pharmacol 22:649-55. 2008..The ET antagonist bosentan prevents endothelial alterations, suggesting a major role of ET in the adverse vascular effects of SSc...
- Oxidative stress-induced, poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase-dependent upregulation of ET-1 expression in chronic diabetic complicationsJane Chiu
Department of Pathology, 4033 Dental Sciences Building, University of Western Ontario, 1151 Richmond Street North, London, ON N6A5C1, Canada
Can J Physiol Pharmacol 86:365-72. 2008..Hence, blockade of such pathways may constitute potential adjuvant treatment modalities in chronic diabetic complications...
- Endothelins modulate inflammatory reaction in zymosan-induced arthritis: participation of LTB4, TNF-alpha, and CXCL-1Fernando de Paiva Conte
Departamento de Farmacologia Aplicada, Farmanguinhos, Fundacao Oswaldo Cruz, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
J Leukoc Biol 84:652-60. 2008..These findings suggest that endogenous ETs contribute to knee-joint inflammation, acting through ET(A) and ET(B) receptors and modulating edema formation, neutrophil recruitment, and production of inflammatory mediators...
- Ets-1 is a critical transcriptional regulator of reactive oxygen species and p47(phox) gene expression in response to angiotensin IIWeihua Ni
Division of Cardiology, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Circ Res 101:985-94. 2007..In summary, Ets-1 functions as a critical downstream transcriptional mediator of Ang II ROS generation by regulating the expression of NAD(P)H oxidase subunits such as p47(phox)...
- Altered role of smooth muscle endothelin receptors in coronary endothelin-1 and alpha1-adrenoceptor-mediated vasoconstriction in Type 2 diabetesS B Bender
Department of Biomedical Sciences, Ohio University College of Osteopathic Medicine, Athens, Ohio 45701, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 293:H2281-8. 2007..Therefore, in this model, enhanced coronary ET-1 responsiveness is mediated primarily through smooth muscle ET(B) receptors, whereas the interaction with alpha(1)-ARs is mediated solely through the ET(A) receptor subtype...
- Paracrine regulation of the resumption of oocyte meiosis by endothelin-1Kazuhiro Kawamura
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Akita University School of Medicine, Akita 010 8543, Japan
Dev Biol 327:62-70. 2009....
- Endogenous endothelin-1 is required for cardiomyocyte survival in vivoXiao Song Zhao
Internal Medicine, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas, USA
Circulation 114:830-7. 2006..To investigate the role of ET-1 in the heart, we created mice with cardiomyocyte deletion of ET-1...
- Inhibitory effects of a selective endothelin-A receptor antagonist YM598 on endothelin-1-induced potentiation of nociception in formalin-induced and prostate cancer-induced pain models in miceHironori Yuyama
Pharmacology Laboratories, Institute for Drug Discovery Research, Yamanouchi Pharmaceutical Co, Ltd, Tsukuba shi, Ibaraki, Japan
J Cardiovasc Pharmacol 44:S479-82. 2004..These results suggest that selective endothelin-A receptor antagonists relieve pain in patients with various diseases in which ET-1 production increases (e.g. prostate cancer)...
- Endothelin-1 protects astrocytes from hypoxic/ischemic injuryM C Ho
Institute of Molecular Biology, The University of Hong Kong, Pokfulam
FASEB J 15:618-26. 2001..The present study suggests that astrocytes without ET-1 are more vulnerable to H and H/I injuries and that the up-regulation of astrocytic ET-1 is essential for the survival of astrocytes...
- Autoantibody-mediated IL-6-dependent endothelin-1 elevation underlies pathogenesis in a mouse model of preeclampsiaCissy Chenyi Zhou
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Texas Houston Medical School, Houston, TX 77030, USA
J Immunol 186:6024-34. 2011..In this study, we found that IgG from women with PE, in contrast to IgG from normotensive pregnant women, induced preproET-1 mRNA expression via angiotensin II type 1 receptor activation in kidneys and placentas in pregnant mice...
- Identification of an endothelial cell-specific regulatory region in the murine endothelin-1 geneX Bu
Department of Medicine, Vanderbilt University Medical School, Nashville, Tennessee 37232, USA
J Biol Chem 272:32613-22. 1997..The combination of all three elements promotes binding of a protein complex that is endothelial cell-specific. This is the first evidence for an endothelial cell-specific DNA regulatory element and cognate binding proteins...
- Impaired ventilatory responses to hypoxia and hypercapnia in mutant mice deficient in endothelin-1T Kuwaki
Department of Physiology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Tokyo, Japan
Am J Physiol 270:R1279-86. 1996..Our results demonstrate that ventilatory responses to hypoxia and hypercapnia are impaired in ET-1-deficient mice and suggest that endogenous ET-1 participates in the physiological control of ventilation...
- Mouse preproendothelin-1 gene. cDNA cloning, sequence analysis and determination of sites of expression during embryonic developmentT S Chan
Institute of Molecular Biology, University of Hong Kong
Eur J Biochem 234:819-26. 1995..These data will be useful for analyzing the function of ET-1 in these organs...
- Renal sympathetic nerve activity in mice: comparison between mice and rats and between normal and endothelin-1 deficient miceG Y Ling
Department of Physiology, School of Medicine, Chiba University, Chiba 260 8670, Japan
Brain Res 808:238-49. 1998..Baroreceptor resetting and normally preserved hypoxia-induced chemoreflex may explain a part of the elevation of AP in ET-1 deficient mice...
- Collecting duct-specific knockout of endothelin-1 causes hypertension and sodium retentionDowhan Ahn
Division of Nephrology, University of Utah Health Sciences Center, 1900 East 30 North, Salt Lake City, UT 84132, USA
J Clin Invest 114:504-11. 2004..These studies indicate that CD-derived ET-1 is an important physiologic regulator of renal Na excretion and systemic BP...
- Endothelin-mediated induction of heme oxygenase-1 in the spinal cord is attenuated in transgenic mice overexpressing superoxide dismutaseMartin Weinzierl
Department of Neurological Surgery, RWTH Aachen, Germany
Brain Res 1030:125-32. 2004..Together, these findings suggest that ET-1 mediates oxidative stress in the spinal cord through the modulation of spinal cord blood flow...
- Vascular inflammation in absence of blood pressure elevation in transgenic murine model overexpressing endothelin-1 in endothelial cellsFarhad Amiri
Hypertension and Vascular Research Unit, Lady Davis Institute for Medical Research, Sir Mortimer B Davis Jewish General Hospital, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
J Hypertens 26:1102-9. 2008We previously showed that in transgenic mice with endothelium-targeted overexpression of human preproendothelin-1, mesenteric resistance arteries exhibited vascular remodeling, endothelial dysfunction and increased oxidative stress early ..
- Collecting duct-specific knockout of endothelin-1 alters vasopressin regulation of urine osmolalityYuqiang Ge
Division of Nephrology, University of Utah Health Sciences Center, 30 North 1900 East, Salt Lake City, Utah 84132, USA
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 288:F912-20. 2005..These data indicate that CD ET-1 KO increases renal sensitivity to the urinary concentrating effects of AVP and suggest that ET-1 functions as a physiological autocrine regulator of AVP action in the CD...
- Aortic arch malformations and ventricular septal defect in mice deficient in endothelin-1Y Kurihara
Third Department of Internal Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Tokyo, Japan
J Clin Invest 96:293-300. 1995..To clarify the physiological and pathophysiological role of ET-1, we disrupted the mouse Edn1 locus encoding ET-1 by gene targeting and demonstrated that ET-1 is essential to the normal development of ..
- Endothelial cell-specific over-expression of endothelin-1 leads to more severe cerebral damage following transient middle cerebral artery occlusionJustin W C Leung
Institute of Molecular Biology, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong SAR, China
J Cardiovasc Pharmacol 44:S293-300. 2004..Our present TET model will serve as an ideal model for studying the role of endothelial ET- 1 in the pathogenesis of ischemic stroke...
- Disruption of ET-1 gene enhances pulmonary responses to methacholine via functional mechanism in knockout miceT Nagase
Department of Geriatric Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Tokyo, Tokyo 113 8655, Japan
J Appl Physiol (1985) 87:2020-4. 1999..Recently, it has been reported that ET-1 and a gene encoding ET-1 (Edn1) might be involved in airway hyperresponsiveness, which is a major feature of bronchial asthma...
- Deficiency in Six2 during prenatal development is associated with reduced nephron number, chronic renal failure, and hypertension in Br/+ adult miceBen Fogelgren
Deptartment of Anatomy, Biochemistry, and Physiology, John A Burns School of Medicine, University of Hawaii, Honolulu, HI, USA
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 296:F1166-78. 2009..Defects are associated with embryological deficiencies of Six2, suggesting that proper levels of this protein during nephrogenesis are critical for normal glomerular development and adult renal function...
- Interleukin-10 attenuates vascular responses to endothelin-1 via effects on ERK1/2-dependent pathwayFernanda R C Giachini
Department of Physiology, Medical College of Georgia, Augusta, GA 30912 3000, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 296:H489-96. 2009..These data demonstrate that IL-10 counteracts ET(A)-mediated vascular responses to ET-1, as well as activation of the ERK1/2 pathway...
- Cytochrome P-450 3A13 and endothelin jointly mediate ductus arteriosus constriction to oxygen in miceBarbara Baragatti
Scuola Superiore Sant Anna, Piazza Martiri della Libertà 33, Pisa 56127, Italy
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 300:H892-901. 2011....
- ZFP260 is an inducer of cardiac hypertrophy and a nuclear mediator of endothelin-1 signalingHiba Komati
Laboratory of Cardiac Development and Differentiation, Department of Biochemistry, Microbiology, and Immunology, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario K1N 6N5, Canada
J Biol Chem 286:1508-16. 2011..Together, the results identify a novel nuclear effector of ET-1 signaling and suggest that PEX1 may be a regulator of the early stages of cardiac hypertrophy...
- Endothelin-1 and angiotensin II modulate rate and contraction amplitude in a subpopulation of mouse embryonic stem cell-derived cardiomyocyte-containing bodiesE L Lagerqvist
Medicinal Chemistry and Drug Action, Monash Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Monash University Parkville Campus, Melbourne, Australia
Stem Cell Res 6:23-33. 2011..These results indicate the presence of functional ET(A) and both AT₁ and AT₂ receptors in murine ESC-CMs, but their expression and or activity appears to be evident only in a limited set of BBs...
- Development of the vertebrate ear: insights from knockouts and mutantsD M Fekete
Dept of Biological Sciences, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN 47907, USA
Trends Neurosci 22:263-9. 1999..Genes that are regionally expressed in the inner ear can, when absent or mutated, yield selective ablation of specific inner-ear structures or cell types...
- Endothelin axis induces metalloproteinase activation and invasiveness in human lymphatic endothelial cellsFrancesca Spinella
Molecular Pathology Laboratory, Regina Elena Cancer Institute, 00144 Rome, Italy
Can J Physiol Pharmacol 88:782-7. 2010..Our results suggest that ET-1 is a lymphangiogenic mediator and that targeting pharmacologically ETB may be therapeutically exploited in a variety of diseases, including cancer...
- Endothelin-1 aggravates hepatic ischemia/reperfusion injury during obstructive cholestasis in bile duct ligated miceHiroyuki Nagai
Department of General Surgery, Chiba University Graduate School of Medicine, Chiba, Japan
J Surg Res 162:46-53. 2010..However, the mechanism of liver injury in cholestatic liver is not fully understood. The goal of this study was to investigate the process of liver injury due to hepatic ischemia/reperfusion in obstructive cholestasis...
- Chromogranin A regulates renal function by triggering Weibel-Palade body exocytosisYuqing Chen
Department of Medicine, University of California at San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093 0838, USA
J Am Soc Nephrol 20:1623-32. 2009..In patients with progressive hypertensive renal disease, a CHGA haplotype predicted rate of GFR decline. In conclusion, these data suggest that CHGA acts through the glomerular endothelium to regulate renal function...
- Effect of endothelin-1 on osteoblastic differentiation is modified by the level of connexin43: comparative study on calvarial osteoblastic cells isolated from Cx43+/- and Cx43+/+ miceGraziello Geneau
Institut de Physiologie et Biologie Cellulaires, University of Poitiers, CNRS UMR 6187, 86022, Poitiers Cedex, France
Cell Tissue Res 340:103-15. 2010..With respect to roles in mechanotransduction and OB differentiation, Cx43 might modulate osteoblastic sensitivity to soluble factors...
- Expression and localization of endothelin-1 and its receptors in the spiral ganglion neurons of mouseTao Liu
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, West China Hospital of Sichuan University, No 37 Guo Xue Xiang, 610041, Chengdu, Sichuan, People s Republic of China
Cell Mol Neurobiol 29:739-45. 2009..The present results suggest that ET-1 may play physiological roles in the spiral ganglion cells via ETAR and ETBR...
- Targeting gene expression to the vascular wall in transgenic mice using the murine preproendothelin-1 promoterD Harats
Syntex Discovery Research, Palo Alto, California 94303
J Clin Invest 95:1335-44. 1995..genes in the vascular wall, we created transgenic mice using the reporter gene luciferase and the murine preproendothelin-1 promoter...
- Endothelin-1 regulates the dorsoventral branchial arch patterning in miceHidenori Ozeki
Department of Physiological Chemistry and Metabolism, Graduate School of Medicine, University of Tokyo, 7 3 1 Hongo, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 0033, Japan
Mech Dev 121:387-95. 2004..These findings indicate that the ET-1/EdnrA signaling may contribute to the dorsoventral axis patterning of the branchial arch system as a mediator of the regional intercellular interactions...
- Development gone awry: congenital heart diseasePeter J Gruber
Cardiac Center, Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, PA, USA
Circ Res 94:273-83. 2004..In this review, we summarize some of the more clinically significant forms of congenital heart disease, and we highlight relevant genetic and developmental pathways...
- Thapsigargin and EGTA inhibit endothelin-1-induced glucose transportYing Shun Kao
Institute of Biochemistry, National Yang Ming University, Taipei, Taiwan ROC
J Biomed Sci 11:206-13. 2004....
- Endothelin-1-stimulated glucose uptake is desensitized by tumor necrosis factor-alpha in 3T3-L1 adipocytesNadia Rachdaoui
Department of Nutrition, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 285:E545-51. 2003....
- The role of neural crest during cardiac development in a mouse model of DiGeorge syndromeLazaros Kochilas
Cardiovascular Division, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia 19104, USA
Dev Biol 251:157-66. 2002..Based on our studies, we propose that Lgdel genes are required for the expression of soluble signals that regulate neural crest cell differentiation...
- Sequence analysis and expression of the mouse full-length vasoactive intestinal contractor/endothelin-2 gene (EDN2): comparison with the endothelin-1 gene (EDN1)Kaname Saida
National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology, Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305 8566, Japan
Clin Sci (Lond) 103:84S-89S. 2002..Similarities between the genomic organization of the PPVIC/preproET2 and preproendothelin-1 genes suggest that the two are distantly related...
- The prepro vasoactive intestinal contractor (VIC)/endothelin-2 gene (EDN2): structure, evolution, production, and embryonic expressionK Saida
National Institute of Bioscience and Human Technology, Tsukuba, Ibaraki, 305 8566, Japan
Genomics 64:51-61. 2000..Several remarkable similarities of the PPVIC gene to the human preproendothelin-1 gene strongly suggest that the two genes have arisen from a common progenitor by gene duplication...
- Endothelin in the central control of cardiovascular and respiratory functionsT Kuwaki
Department of Physiology, School of Medicine, Chiba University, Japan
Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol 26:989-94. 1999..6. We conclude that endogenous ET-1 plays an important role in the central neural control of circulation and respiration and that ETA receptors mediate this mechanism...
- Analysis of the desmoplakin gene reveals striking conservation with other members of the plakin family of cytolinkersK J Green
Department of Pathology, R H Lurie Cancer Center, Northwestern University Medical School, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
Exp Dermatol 8:462-70. 1999..Detailed characterization and mapping of these genes will facilitate their further evaluation as targets of genetic disorders and provide insights into the evolutionary relationships among molecules in this emerging gene family...
- Roles for the winged helix transcription factors MF1 and MFH1 in cardiovascular development revealed by nonallelic noncomplementation of null allelesG E Winnier
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, Tennessee, 37232 2175, USA
Dev Biol 213:418-31. 1999..Implications for the development of human congenital heart defects are discussed...
- Responses of blood pressure and catecholamine metabolism to high salt loading in endothelin-1 knockout miceH Morita
Department of Cardiovascular Medicine, Graduate School of Medicine, University of Tokyo, Japan
Hypertens Res 22:11-6. 1999..Mice heterozygous for the null mutation of the endothelin-1 (ET-1) gene, Edn1, may be a potential tool for studying this mechanism, because they have elevated blood pressure and disturbances in ..
- Endothelin ETA receptor blockade restores NO-mediated endothelial function and inhibits atherosclerosis in apolipoprotein E-deficient miceM Barton
Cardiology, University Hospital Zürich and Cardiovascular Research Laboratory, Institute of Physiology, University of Zurich, CH 8091 Zurich, Switzerland
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 95:14367-72. 1998..ETA receptor blockade may have therapeutic potential in patients with atherosclerosis...
- Gene expression of endothelin isoforms and receptors in endothelin-1 knockout miceK Maemura
Third Department of Internal Medicine, University of Tokyo, Japan
J Cardiovasc Pharmacol 26:S17-21. 1995..ET-1 mRNA and peptide levels were in parallel with the number of Edn1 authentic alleles...
- Increased endothelin and endothelin receptor mRNA expression in polycystic kidneys of cpk miceT Nakamura
Department of Medicine, Juntendo University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
J Am Soc Nephrol 4:1064-72. 1993..1-fold at 1 wk, 4.2-fold at 2 wk, and 6.2-fold at 3 wk; TNF-alpha, 2.2-fold at 1 wk, 3.8-fold at 2 wk, and 5.4-fold at 3 wk).(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS)..
- Synergistic effect of endothelin-1 and cyclic AMP on glucose transport in 3T3-L1 adipocytesJim C Fong
Institute of Biochemistry, National Yang Ming University, 155, Sec 2, Linung Street, 112 Taipei, Taiwan
Cell Signal 16:811-21. 2004..Taken together, these results indicate that ET-1 may act with cAMP in a synergistic way to increase glucose transport, probably through enhanced GLUT1 expression via a PKC-dependent mechanism...
- Collecting duct-specific knockout of the endothelin A receptor alters renal vasopressin responsiveness, but not sodium excretion or blood pressureYuqiang Ge
Division of Nephrology, Univ of Utah Health Sciences Center, 1900 East, 30 North, Salt Lake City, UT 84132, USA
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 289:F692-8. 2005..Furthermore, the CD ET(A) receptor does not appear to be involved in modulation of systemic blood pressure or renal Na excretion under physiological conditions...
- Expression of a neuropeptide, endothelin-1 in pons and medulla of prenatal and perinatal mouse brainsMargaret C S Tsang
Department of Anatomy, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, China
Int J Neurosci 115:1485-501. 2005..This article demonstrates the spatio-temporal expression of mouse preproendothelin-1 (mPPET-1) gene in pre- and perinatal mouse brain by in situ hybridization using a probe specific for mPPET-..
- Mouse model of focal cerebral ischemia using endothelin-1Nobutaka Horie
Department of Neurosurgery, Stanford School of Medicine, Stanford, CA 94305 5487, USA
J Neurosci Methods 173:286-90. 2008..However, lesion size was still relatively small and strain-dependent. This study shows that ET-1 has a much less potent effect for producing an infarct in mice than rats...
- Role of the renin-angiotensin-aldosterone system in collecting duct-derived endothelin-1 regulation of blood pressureYuqiang Ge
Division of Nephrology, University of Utah Health Sciences Center, 1900 East 30 North, Salt Lake City, UT 84132, USA
Can J Physiol Pharmacol 86:329-36. 2008..In summary, hypertension in CD ET-1 KO is partly due to angiotensin II and aldosterone. We speculate that CD-derived ET-1 may regulate, via a novel pathway, renal renin production...
- Endothelins are vascular-derived axonal guidance cues for developing sympathetic neuronsTakako Makita
The Solomon H Snyder Department of Neuroscience, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21205, USA
Nature 452:759-63. 2008..Moreover, they suggest a model in which newborn sympathetic neurons distinguish and choose between distinct vascular trajectories to innervate their appropriate end organs...
- Blockade of endothelinergic receptors prevents development of proliferative vitreoretinopathy in miceMaría Iribarne
Facultad de Ciencias Biomedicas, Universidad Austral, Pilar, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Am J Pathol 172:1030-42. 2008..In addition, the presence of ET-1 and ETR-B in human fibrous membranes suggests that similar treatments could be helpful after PVR has been established...
- Sphingosine-1-phosphate and endothelin-1 induce the expression of rgs16 protein in cardiac myocytes by transcriptional activation of the rgs16 geneSabine Stuebe
Universitäres Herzzentrum, Kardiologie, Universitatsklinikum Hamburg Eppendorf, Martinistr 52, 20246 Hamburg, Germany
Naunyn Schmiedebergs Arch Pharmacol 376:363-73. 2008..This activation is mediated by heterotrimeric G proteins, Rho GTPases, and is under negative control of the transcription factor YY1...
- Rho-kinase regulates endothelin-1-stimulated IL-6 synthesis via p38 MAP kinase in osteoblastsHaruhiko Tokuda
Department of Clinical Laboratory, National Hospital for Geriatric Medicine, National Center for Geriatrics and Gerontology, Obu, Aichi 474 8511, and Department of Pharmacology, Gifu University Graduate School of Medicine, Gifu 501 1194, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 362:799-804. 2007..These results strongly suggest that Rho-kinase regulates ET-1-stimulated IL-6 synthesis through p38 MAP kinase activation in osteoblasts...
- Endothelin-1 regulates adiponectin gene expression and secretion in 3T3-L1 adipocytes via distinct signaling pathwaysChi Chang Juan
Department of Physiology, School of Medicine, National Yang Ming University, and Department of Medical Research and Education, Taipei Veterans General Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
Endocrinology 148:1835-42. 2007..These findings suggested that the cardiovascular system affects adipocyte physiology by regulating the expression of adipocytokines and, consequently, energy homeostasis via vasoactive factors, such as ET-1...
- Obesity-induced upregulation of myocardial endothelin-1 expression is mediated by leptinSuko Adiarto
Division of Cardiovascular and Respiratory Medicine, Department of Internal Medicine, Kobe University Graduate School of Medicine, Kobe, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 353:623-7. 2007..In contrast, in leptin-deficient obese (ob/ob) mice, both serum and myocardial ET-1 levels were not higher than in wild type mice. These findings suggest that upregulation of myocardial ET-1 by obesity is mediated by leptin...
- Endothelin-1, an ulcer inducer, promotes gastric ulcer healing via mobilizing gastric myofibroblasts and stimulates production of stroma-derived factorsTsutomu Nishida
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Clinical Research Bldg K1, Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine, 2 2 Yamadaoka, Suita, Osaka 565 0871, Japan
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 290:G1041-50. 2006..Thus ET-1 has important roles not only in ulcer formation but also in ulcer healing via mobilizing myofibroblasts and inducing production of stroma-derived factors...
- Trypanosoma cruzi and AIDS: Role of the AdipocyteHerbert Tanowitz; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- C-Reactive Protein in Extremely Low Birth Weight NeonatesNamasivayam Ambalavanan; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- MMP-2 in Neonatal Hypoxic Pulmonary Vascular RemodelingNamasivayam Ambalavanan; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Differentiation in T.cruzi:an emerging AIDS pathogenHuan Huang; Fiscal Year: 2009..To further delineate the components of this pathway, we will identify the TcPKA downstream interacting molecules, using both yeast two-hybrid assays and proteomic approaches. ..