Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Ebi3
Description: Epstein-Barr virus induced gene 3
Alias: EBI-3, IL-27, interleukin-27 subunit beta, IL-27 subunit beta, IL-27B, epstein-Barr virus-induced gene 3 protein homolog
- Disruption of T helper 2-immune responses in Epstein-Barr virus-induced gene 3-deficient miceEdward E S Nieuwenhuis
Gastroenterology Division and Department of Pathology, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99:16951-6. 2002Epstein-Barr virus-induced gene 3 (EBI3) is a widely expressed IL-12p40-related protein that associates as a heterodimer with either IL-12p35 or an IL-12p35 homologue, p28, to create a new cytokine (IL-27)...
- Interleukin-27 priming of T cells controls IL-17 production in trans via induction of the ligand PD-L1Kiyoshi Hirahara
Molecular Immunology and Inflammation Branch, National Institute of Arthritis, Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Immunity 36:1017-30. 2012..Thus, these data identify a suppressive activity of IL-27, by which CD4(+) T cells can restrict differentiation of Th17 cells in trans...
- A role for IL-27p28 as an antagonist of gp130-mediated signalingJason S Stumhofer
University of Pennsylvania School of Veterinary Medicine, Philadelphia, PA, USA
Nat Immunol 11:1119-26. 2010..Notably, the IL-27 subunits p28 (IL-27p28) and EBI3 are not always expressed together, which suggests that they may have unique functions...
- IL-35-mediated induction of a potent regulatory T cell populationLauren W Collison
Department of Immunology, St Jude Children s Research Hospital, Memphis, Tennessee, USA
Nat Immunol 11:1093-101. 2010..Thus, iT(R)35 cells constitute a key mediator of infectious tolerance and contribute to T(reg) cell-mediated tumor progression. Furthermore, iT(R)35 cells generated ex vivo might have therapeutic utility...
- Cutting edge: a key pathogenic role of IL-27 in T cell- mediated hepatitisJuergen Siebler
First Department of Medicine, University of Mainz, Mainz, Germany
J Immunol 180:30-3. 2008..In this study, we identify the cytokine IL-27p28/EBI3 as a major pathogenic factor in the ConA model of T cell-mediated hepatitis...
- The inhibitory cytokine IL-35 contributes to regulatory T-cell functionLauren W Collison
Department of Immunology, St Jude Children s Research Hospital, Memphis, Tennessee 38105, USA
Nature 450:566-9. 2007..Here we demonstrate that Epstein-Barr-virus-induced gene 3 (Ebi3, which encodes IL-27beta) and interleukin-12 alpha (Il12a, which encodes IL-12alpha/p35) are highly expressed by ..
- EBV-induced gene 3 transcription is induced by TLR signaling in primary dendritic cells via NF-kappa B activationStefan Wirtz
Laboratory of Immunology, First Medical Clinic, University of Mainz, Mainz, Germany
J Immunol 174:2814-24. 2005The EBV-induced gene 3 (EBI3) is expressed in dendritic cells (DCs) and part of the cytokine IL-27 that controls Th cell development. However, its regulated expression in DCs is poorly understood...
- IL-27, a heterodimeric cytokine composed of EBI3 and p28 protein, induces proliferation of naive CD4+ T cellsStefan Pflanz
DNAX Research Institute, 901 California Avenue, Palo Alto, CA 94304, USA
Immunity 16:779-90. 2002..We describe a new heterodimeric cytokine termed IL-27 that consists of EBI3, an IL-12p40-related protein, and p28, a newly discovered IL-12p35-related polypeptide...
- IL-27 regulates IL-12 responsiveness of naive CD4+ T cells through Stat1-dependent and -independent mechanismsSophie Lucas
Department of Molecular Biology, Genentech, 1 DNA Way, South San Francisco, CA 94080, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 100:15047-52. 2003..Therefore, although IL-27 is unable to drive IFN gamma production on its own, it plays an important role in the early steps of TH1 commitment by contributing in a paracrine manner to the control of IL-12 responsiveness...
- IL-35 is a novel cytokine with therapeutic effects against collagen-induced arthritis through the expansion of regulatory T cells and suppression of Th17 cellsWanda Niedbala
Division of Immunology, Infection and Inflammation, Glasgow Biomedical Research Centre, University of Glasgow, Glasgow, UK
Eur J Immunol 37:3021-9. 2007Epstein-Barr virus-induced gene 3 (EBI3) and the p35 subunit of IL-12 have been reported to form a heterodimeric hematopoietin in human and mouse...
- Interleukin-35 induces regulatory B cells that suppress autoimmune diseaseRen Xi Wang
1 Molecular Immunology Section, Laboratory of Immunology, National Eye Institute NEI, National Institutes of Health NIH, Bethesda, Maryland, USA 2 Laboratory of Immunology, Institute of Basic Medical Sciences, Beijing, China
Nat Med 20:633-41. 2014..As IL-35 also induced the conversion of human B cells into Breg cells, these findings suggest that IL-35 may be used to induce autologous Breg and IL-35(+) Breg cells and treat autoimmune and inflammatory disease. ..
- Effects of an intravitreal injection of interleukin-35-expressing plasmid on pro-inflammatory and anti-inflammatory cytokinesChao Hou
State Key Laboratory of Ophthalmology, Zhongshan Ophthalmic Center, Sun Yat Sen University, Guangzhou, Guangdong 510030, P R China
Int J Mol Med 38:713-20. 2016..Thus, IL-35 may further be assessed as a potential target for the treatment of corneal graft rejection. ..
- Systemic 4-1BB activation induces a novel T cell phenotype driven by high expression of EomesoderminMichael A Curran
Department of Immunology, MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
J Exp Med 210:743-55. 2013....
- Regulatory CD8+ T cells associated with erosion of immune surveillance in persistent virus infection suppress in vitro and have a reversible proliferative defectZhuting Hu
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth, Lebanon, NH 03756, USA
J Immunol 191:312-22. 2013..These data suggest that the IL-10-producing CD8(+) T cells arising in chronic MHV-68 infection in the absence of CD4(+) T cell help belong to a subset of CD8(+) regulatory T cells. ..
- Modulation of inflammation by interleukin-27Markus Bosmann
1 University of Michigan Medical School, 1301 Catherine Rd, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 5602, USA
J Leukoc Biol 94:1159-65. 2013..IL-27 is composed of two subunits (p28 and EBI3) and is classified as a member of the IL-12 family of cytokines...
- Epstein Barr virus-induced 3 (EBI3) together with IL-12 negatively regulates T helper 17-mediated immunity to Listeria monocytogenes infectionYeonseok Chung
Department of Immunology and Center for Inflammation and Cancer, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas, United States of America Center for Immunology and Autoimmune Diseases, Institute of Molecular Medicine, The University of Texas Medical School at Houston, Houston, Texas, United States of America The Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, Houston, Texas, United States of America
PLoS Pathog 9:e1003628. 2013..Unexpectedly, mice lacking both p35 and EBI3 cleared L. monocytogenes as efficiently as wild-type mice, whereas p35-deficient mice failed to do so...
- Anti-CD200R2, anti-IL-9, anti-IL-35, or anti-TGF-β abolishes increased graft survival and Treg induction induced in cromolyn-treated CD200R1KO.CD200tg miceReginald Gorczynski
1 The Toronto Hospital, University Health Network, Toronto, Ontario, Canada 2 Departments of Surgery and Immunology, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada 3 Address correspondence to Reginald Gorczynski, M D, Ph D, The Toronto Hospital, University Health Network, 2 805, MaRS Tower, 101 College Street, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5G1L7
Transplantation 97:39-46. 2014..We investigated whether attenuation of MC degranulation by sodium cromoglycate allowed CD200 to increase survival in CD200R1KO mice...
- Oral Escherichia coli colonization factor antigen I fimbriae ameliorate arthritis via IL-35, not IL-27Irina Kochetkova
Department of Immunology and Infectious Diseases, Montana State University, Bozeman, MT 59717
J Immunol 192:804-16. 2014..alone are protective and whether other regulatory cytokines are involved, especially in the context for the EBI3-sharing cytokines, Treg-derived IL-35 and APC-derived IL-27, both capable of suppressing Th17 cells and regulating ..
- Interleukin-35 is upregulated in response to influenza virus infection and secondary bacterial pneumoniaYi Chen
Department of Emergency and Intensive Care Unit, The First Affiliated Hospital of Chongqing Medical University, Chongqing, China
Cytokine 81:23-7. 2016..These data suggest that IL-35 contributes to the increased susceptibility to secondary pneumococcal pneumonia at least in part by inhibiting the early immune response. ..
- Contribution of IL-12/IL-35 common subunit p35 to maintaining the testicular immune privilegeHayato Terayama
Department of Anatomy, Tokyo Medical University, Tokyo, Japan Department of Anatomy, Tokai University School of Medicine, Kanagawa, Japan
PLoS ONE 9:e96120. 2014..IL)-6/IL-12 family cytokines IL-12 (p35/p40), IL-23 (p19/p40), IL-27 (p28/Epstein-Barr virus-induced gene 3 [EBI3]), and IL-35 (p35/EBI3) play critical roles in the regulation of various immune responses, but their roles in ..
- EBI3 is pivotal for the initiation of experimental autoimmune uveitisAtsunobu Takeda
Department of Ophthalmology, Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Kyushu University, 3 1 1 Maidashi, Higashi ku, Fukuoka 812 8582, Japan Electronic address
Exp Eye Res 125:107-13. 2014..Epstein-Barr virus-induced gene 3 (EBI3) is a component of the heterodimeric cytokines: interleukin (IL)-27 and IL-35...
- Remission of systemic lupus erythematosus disease activity with regulatory cytokine interleukin (IL)-35 in Murphy Roths Large (MRL)/lpr miceZ Cai
Department of Chemical Pathology, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Prince of Wales Hospital, Shatin, NT, Hong Kong
Clin Exp Immunol 181:253-66. 2015..mRNA expressions of Treg -related FoxP3, IL-35 subunit (p35 and EBI3) and soluble IL-35 receptor subunit (gp130 and IL12Rβ2) in splenic cells were up-regulated significantly in IL-35-..
- Epstein-Barr virus-induced gene 3 (EBI3) polymorphisms and expression are associated with susceptibility to pulmonary tuberculosisRuijuan Zheng
Clinic and Research Center of Tuberculosis, Shanghai Key Lab of Tuberculosis, Shanghai Pulmonary Hospital, Tongji University School of Medicine, Shanghai 200433, China Electronic address
Tuberculosis (Edinb) 95:497-504. 2015..performed a population-based case-control study to genotype 13 tag SNPs spanning Epstein-Barr virus-induced gene 3 (EBI3), colony stimulating factor 2 (CSF2), IL-4, interferon beta 1 (IFNB1), chemokine (C-X-C motif) ligand 14 (CXCL14) ..
- EBI3 Downregulation Contributes to Type I Collagen Overexpression in Scleroderma SkinHideo Kudo
Department of Dermatology and Plastic Surgery, Faculty of Life Sciences, Kumamoto University, Kumamoto 860 8556, Japan
J Immunol 195:3565-73. 2015..IL-35 consists of p35 and EBI3 subunits, and EBI3 alone could downregulate the protein and mRNA expression of type I or type III collagen in the ..
- Interleukin-35 attenuates collagen-induced arthritis through suppression of vascular endothelial growth factor and its receptorsSuqin Wu
Department of Rheumatology and Immunology, The First Affiliated Hospital of China Medical University, 155 Nanjing North Street, Heping District, Shenyang 110001, PR China Department of Immunology and Microbiology, Liaoning, Vocational College of Medicine, No 2 Qiaosong Road, Shenyang 110101, PR China
Int Immunopharmacol 34:71-7. 2016..To investigate the effect of interleukin-35 (IL-35) on vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) and its receptors, Flt-1 and Flk-1, in a collagen-induced arthritis (CIA) mouse model of rheumatoid arthritis (RA)...
- Epstein-Barr virus-induced gene 3 suppresses T helper type 1, type 17 and type 2 immune responses after Trypanosoma cruzi infection and inhibits parasite replication by interfering with alternative macrophage activationJulia Böhme
Infection Immunology, Research Centre Borstel, Borstel, Germany
Immunology 147:338-48. 2016The Epstein-Barr virus-induced gene 3 (EBI3) is a member of the interleukin-12 (IL)-12) family structurally related to the subunit p40 of IL-12 and forms a heterodimer either with the p28 subunit to build IL-27 or with p35 to form IL-35...
- Regulation of proinflammatory Th17 responses during Trypanosoma cruzi infection by IL-12 family cytokinesDustin Cobb
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Virginia Commonwealth University, Medical College of Virginia, Richmond, VA 23298, USA
J Immunol 188:3766-73. 2012..cruzi-specific Th17 response. Furthermore, IL-27 could not compensate or synergize with IL-12 to suppress IL-17 production ex vivo. Thus, we have established that IL-12, not IL-27, is critical for regulating Th17 responses to T. cruzi...
- The plasticity of regulatory T cell functionMeenu R Pillai
Department of Immunology, St Jude Children s Research Hospital, Memphis, TN 38105 3678, USA
J Immunol 187:4987-97. 2011..These data reveal that cross-regulatory pathways exist that control the utilization of suppressive mechanisms, thereby providing T(reg) functional plasticity...
- Increased Th17 and regulatory T cell responses in EBV-induced gene 3-deficient mice lead to marginally enhanced development of autoimmune encephalomyelitisJin Qing Liu
Department of Pathology, The Ohio State University Medical Center, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
J Immunol 188:3099-106. 2012EBV-induced gene 3 (EBI3)-encoded protein can form heterodimers with IL-27P28 and IL-12P35 to form IL-27 and IL-35...
- Decreased expression of EBI3 and Foxp3 in CD4+CD25+ regulatory T cells in murine experimental allergic rhinitisYuhui Ouyang
Key Laboratory of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery Ministry of Education, Beijing Institute of Otolaryngology, Beijing, China
ORL J Otorhinolaryngol Relat Spec 73:313-20. 2011Epstein-Barr virus-induced gene 3 (EBI3) is a widely expressed interleukin-12-related protein that plays a critical role in the regulation of effector T cells and inflammatory responses.
- Pathogen-induced inflammatory environment controls effector and memory CD8+ T cell differentiationJoshua J Obar
Center for Integrated Immunology and Vaccine Research, Department of Immunology, University of Connecticut Health Center, Farmington, CT 06030, USA
J Immunol 187:4967-78. 2011..SLEC generation was dependent on Ebi3 expression...
- Murine dendritic cell rapamycin-resistant and rictor-independent mTOR controls IL-10, B7-H1, and regulatory T-cell inductionBrian R Rosborough
Thomas E Starzl Transplantation Institute, Department of Surgery, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Blood 121:3619-30. 2013..These findings identify the first known RAPA-insensitive mTOR pathway that is not mediated solely by mTORC2 and have implications for the use of catalytic mTOR inhibitors in inflammatory disease settings...
- IL-27 enhances the survival of tumor antigen-specific CD8+ T cells and programs them into IL-10-producing, memory precursor-like effector cellsZhenzhen Liu
Department of Pathology and Comprehensive Cancer Center, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
Eur J Immunol 43:468-79. 2013..Our results have important implications for designing immunotherapy against human cancer...
- Epstein-Barr virus-induced gene 3 negatively regulates neuroinflammation and T cell activation following coronavirus-induced encephalomyelitisEmanuele Tirotta
Department of Molecular Biology and Biochemistry, University of California, Irvine 92697 3900, United States
J Neuroimmunol 254:110-6. 2013Epstein-Barr virus-induced gene 3 (EBI3) associates with p28 and p35 to form the immunomodulatory cytokines IL-27 and IL-35, respectively...
- The cytokines interleukin 27 and interferon-γ promote distinct Treg cell populations required to limit infection-induced pathologyAisling O Hara Hall
Department of Pathobiology, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Immunity 37:511-23. 2012..Thus, IFN-γ and IL-27 have different roles in Treg cell biology and IL-27 is a key cytokine that promotes the development of Treg cells specialized to control Th1 cell-mediated immunity at local sites of inflammation...
- IL-27 inhibits pathophysiological intraocular neovascularization due to laser burnEiichi Hasegawa
Department of Ophthalmology, Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Kyushu University, Fukuoka, Japan
J Leukoc Biol 91:267-73. 2012..By contrast, the administration of rIL-27 reduced VEGF production and the extent of CNV. Mice deficient in the EBI3, which lack IL-27, also showed more CNV than C57BL/6 mice, and this was reduced by IL-27 supplementation...
- IL-27 production and STAT3-dependent upregulation of B7-H1 mediate immune regulatory functions of liver plasmacytoid dendritic cellsBenjamin M Matta
Starzl Transplantation Institute and Department of Surgery, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, PA 15261, USA
J Immunol 188:5227-37. 2012..In this study, we show that mouse liver pDCs express higher levels of IL-27p28 and EBV-induced protein 3 (Ebi3) compared with those of splenic pDCs...
- Distinct subunit pairing criteria within the heterodimeric IL-12 cytokine familyLindsay L Jones
Department of Immunology, St Jude Children s Research Hospital, Memphis, TN 38105, USA
Mol Immunol 51:234-44. 2012..heterodimeric IL-12 cytokine family is characterized by the sharing of three α (p19, p28, p35) and two β (p40 and Ebi3) subunits, and includes IL-12 (p35/p40), IL-23 (p19/p40), IL-27 (p28/Ebi3) and IL-35 (p35/Ebi3)...
- Analysis of cytokine regulators inducing interferon production by mouse uterine natural killer cellsJ H Zhang
Department of Biomedical Sciences, Ontario Veterinary College, University of Guelph, Guelph, Ontario N1G 2W1, Canada
Biol Reprod 69:404-11. 2003..The four genes were induced by gd6, and uNK cells isolated from midgestation transcribed IL-23alpha and IL-27R. This study advances the understanding of uNK cell activation during normal pregnancy...
- Impaired Th1 responses in mice deficient in Epstein-Barr virus-induced gene 3 and challenged with physiological doses of Leishmania majorSabine Zahn
Department of Dermatology, Johannes Gutenberg University of Mainz, Mainz, Germany
Eur J Immunol 35:1106-12. 2005..of the IL-12 family, is a heterodimer composed of p28 and IL-12p40-related Epstein-Barr virus-induced gene 3 (EBI3), and was shown to be produced by DC...
- Protection from lethal septic peritonitis by neutralizing the biological function of interleukin 27Stefan Wirtz
Laboratory of Immunology, I Medical Clinic, University of Mainz, 55131 Mainz, Germany
J Exp Med 203:1875-81. 2006..Furthermore, mice deficient for the EBI3 subunit of IL-27 were resistant to CLP-induced septic peritonitis as compared with wild-type controls, and this ..
- Lung CD11c+ cells from mice deficient in Epstein-Barr virus-induced gene 3 (EBI-3) prevent airway hyper-responsiveness in experimental asthmaMichael Hausding
Laboratory of Cellular and Molecular Lung Immunology, I Medical Clinic, University of Mainz, Mainz, Germany, and Institut Universitaire de Pathologie Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Vaudois, Lausanne, Switzerland
Eur J Immunol 37:1663-77. 2007..These results indicate a novel role for EBI-3 in controlling local immune responses in the lungs in experimental asthma...
- Epstein-Barr virus-induced gene 3 negatively regulates IL-17, IL-22 and RORgamma tJianfei Yang
Department of Immunology and Inflammation, Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals, Ridgefield, CT 06877, USA
Eur J Immunol 38:1204-14. 2008Epstein-Barr virus-induced gene 3 (EBI3) associates with p28 to form IL-27 and with IL-12p35 to form IL-35. IL-27Ralpha(-/-) mice studies indicate that IL-27 negatively regulates Th17 cell differentiation...
- Deficiency in EBV-induced gene 3 (EBI3) in MRL/lpr mice results in pathological alteration of autoimmune glomerulonephritis and sialadenitisTakashi Igawa
Department of Medicine and Biosystemic Science, Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Kyushu University, Fukuoka, 812 8582, Japan
Mod Rheumatol 19:33-41. 2009..the role of IL-27 in the development of autoimmune disorders in MRL/lpr mice, we disrupted the EBV-induced gene 3 (EBI3), which is a subunit of IL-27...
- Immunosurveillance of lung melanoma metastasis in EBI-3-deficient mice mediated by CD8+ T cellsKerstin A Sauer
Laboratory of Cellular and Molecular Immunology of the Lung, I Medical Clinic, University of Mainz, Germany
J Immunol 181:6148-57. 2008..Taken together, these data demonstrate that targeting EBI-3 leads to a T-bet-mediated antitumor CD8(+) T cell responses in the lung...
- [Expression of EBI3 and p28 mRNA in the brain and spinal cord of chronic model of experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis in C57BL/6J mice]Jin jin Yan
Department of Neurology, Xiangya Hospital, Central South University, Changsha 410008, China
Zhong Nan Da Xue Xue Bao Yi Xue Ban 33:1028-36. 2008To investigate the expression of EBI3 and p28 mRNA (the 2 subunits of IL-27) in the brain and spinal cord of the model of experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis (EAE), and to explore their effect on EAE.
- Regulatory T cell suppression is potentiated by target T cells in a cell contact, IL-35- and IL-10-dependent mannerLauren W Collison
Department of Immunology, St Jude Children s Research Hospital, Memphis, TN 38105 3678, USA
J Immunol 182:6121-8. 2009..These data suggest that it is the induction of suppression, rather than the function of T(reg) that is obligatorily contact dependent...
- Exacerbation of delayed-type hypersensitivity responses in EBV-induced gene-3 (EBI-3)-deficient miceHonglian Tong
Department of Pharmacy, FuZhou Medical College of NanChang University, Fuzhou 344000, China
Immunol Lett 128:108-15. 2010....
- IL-27 structural analysis demonstrates similarities with ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) and leads to the identification of antagonistic variantsFrancois Rousseau
Unité Mixte Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale 564, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire d Angers, 49033 Angers, France
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:19420-5. 2010IL-27, consisting of the subunits IL-27p28 and Epstein-Barr virus-induced gene 3 (EBI3), is a heterodimeric cytokine belonging to the IL-6/IL-12 family of cytokines...
- EBI3 deficiency leads to diminished T helper type 1 and increased T helper type 2 mediated airway inflammationElif Dokmeci
Department of Pediatrics, Section of Pediatric Pulmonology, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT, USA
Immunology 132:559-66. 2011..A critical role for Epstein-Barr virus-induced gene 3 (EBI3) in these responses has been proposed...
- CD4+ T cell help and innate-derived IL-27 induce Blimp-1-dependent IL-10 production by antiviral CTLsJie Sun
The Beirne B Carter Center for Immunology Research, The University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Nat Immunol 12:327-34. 2011..These findings reveal a previously unrecognized pathway that coordinates signals derived from innate and helper T cells to control the production of a regulatory cytokine by CTLs during acute viral infection...