Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Col8a1
Description: collagen, type VIII, alpha 1
Alias: Col8a-1, collagen alpha-1(VIII) chain, procollagen type VIII alpha 1
- Targeted disruption of Col8a1 and Col8a2 genes in mice leads to anterior segment abnormalities in the eyeUlrike Hopfer
Department of Oral and Developmental Biology, Harvard School of Dental Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
FASEB J 19:1232-44. 2005..the function of collagen VIII in mice by targeted inactivation of the genes encoding the two polypeptide subunits, Col8a1 and Col8a2...
- alpha 1(VIII)-collagen gene transcripts encode a short-chain collagen polypeptide and are expressed by various epithelial, endothelial and mesenchymal cells in newborn mouse tissuesY Muragaki
Department of Pathology, Wakayama Medical College, Japan
Eur J Biochem 207:895-902. 1992....
- Astrocytes express type VIII collagen during the repair process of brain cold injuryShuichi Hirano
Department of Molecular Biology and Biochemistry, Okayama University Graduate School of Medicine and Dentistry, 2 5 1 Shikata cho, Okayama 700 8558, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 317:437-43. 2004..These data indicate that type VIII collagen plays an important role in glial scar formation during the repair process by astrocytes...
- Migration and growth are attenuated in vascular smooth muscle cells with type VIII collagen-null allelesEser Adiguzel
Department of Laboratory Medicine, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 26:56-61. 2006..To address this, we have compared aortic SMCs from wild-type (WT) mice to SMCs from type VIII collagen-deficient (KO) mice when plated on type I collagen...
- Lack of collagen VIII reduces fibrosis and promotes early mortality and cardiac dilatation in pressure overload in miceBiljana Skrbic
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Oslo University Hospital Ulleval, Kirkeveien 166, Oslo 0407, Norway Faculty of Medicine, University of Oslo, Oslo, Norway KG Jebsen Centre for Cardiac Research and Center for Heart Failure Research, University of Oslo, Oslo, Norway Institute for Experimental Medical Research, Oslo University Hospital and University of Oslo, Oslo, Norway
Cardiovasc Res 106:32-42. 2015..A reduction in colVIII might be involved in LV dilatation, and we here examined the role of reduced colVIII in pressure overload-induced remodelling using colVIII knock-out (col8KO) mice...
- The alpha 2(VIII) collagen gene. A novel member of the short chain collagen family located on the human chromosome 1Y Muragaki
Department of Anatomy and Cellular Biology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115 6092
J Biol Chem 266:7721-7. 1991..By in situ hybridization we demonstrate that the alpha 2(VIII) gene is located in the p32.3-p34.3 region of the short arm of chromosome 1...
- Type VIII collagen signals via β1 integrin and RhoA to regulate MMP-2 expression and smooth muscle cell migrationEser Adiguzel
Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathobiology, University of Toronto, Ontario M5S 1A8, Canada
Matrix Biol 32:332-41. 2013..In conclusion, we have shown that type VIII collagen signals through beta-1 integrin receptors to suppress RhoA, allowing optimal configuration of the cytoskeleton, and the stimulation of MMP-2-dependent cell migration. ..
- Type VIII collagen mediates vessel wall remodeling after arterial injury and fibrous cap formation in atherosclerosisJoshua Lopes
Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathobiology, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Am J Pathol 182:2241-53. 2013..We discovered that apolipoprotein E (ApoE) is an endogenous repressor of the Col8a1 chain, and, therefore, in ApoE knockout mice, type VIII collagen was up-regulated...
- Collagen VIII influences epithelial phenotypic changes in experimental diabetic nephropathyIvonne Loeffler
Department of Internal Medicine III, University Hospital, University of Jena, Erlanger Allee 101, Jena, Germany
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 303:F733-45. 2012....
- Pygo1 and Pygo2 roles in Wnt signaling in mammalian kidney developmentKristopher R Schwab
Division of Developmental Biology, Children s Hospital Medical Center, Cincinnati, OH 45229, USA
BMC Biol 5:15. 2007..To better understand the functions of Pygopus-mediated canonical Wnt signaling in kidney development, targeted mutations were made in the two mammalian orthologs, Pygo1 and Pygo2...
- Type VIII collagen modulates TGF-β1-induced proliferation of mesangial cellsIvonne Loeffler
Department of Internal Medicine III, University of Jena, Erlanger Allee 101, D 07740 Jena, Germany
J Am Soc Nephrol 22:649-63. 2011..VIII collagen, a nonfibrillar protein that exists as a heterodimer composed of α1(VIII) and α2(VIII), encoded by Col8a1 and Col8a2, respectively...
- Lack of type VIII collagen in mice ameliorates diabetic nephropathyUlrike Hopfer
Department of Medicine, University of Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany
Diabetes 58:1672-81. 2009....
- Oxidized phospholipids induce type VIII collagen expression and vascular smooth muscle cell migrationOlga A Cherepanova
Department of Molecular Physiology and Biological Physics, University of Virginia, Robert M Berne Cardiovascular Research Center, Charlottesville, VA 22908, USA
Circ Res 104:609-18. 2009..POVPC increased expression of type VIII collagen alpha1 chain (Col8a1) mRNA in cultured VSMCs and in vivo in rat carotid arteries by 9-fold and 4-fold, respectively...
- siRNA-targeted COL8A1 inhibits proliferation, reduces invasion and enhances sensitivity to D-limonence treatment in hepatocarcinoma cellsYongfu Zhao
Department of General Surgery, The Second Affiliated Hospital of Dalian Medical University, Dalian, Liaoning Province, China
IUBMB Life 61:74-9. 2009The COL8A1 (collagen type VIII, alpha-1) gene, which encodes the alpha 1 chain of collagen, type VIII, may modulate migration, proliferation and adherence of various cells...
- Connexin43 deficiency causes dysregulation of coronary vasculogenesisDiana L Walker
Laboratory of Developmental Biology, National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute, National Institutes of Health, Building 50 Room 4537, Bethesda, MD 20892 8019, USA
Dev Biol 284:479-98. 2005....
- Crystal structure of the collagen alpha1(VIII) NC1 trimerMarc Kvansakul
Department of Biological Sciences, Imperial College London, South Kensington Campus, London SW7 2AZ, UK
Matrix Biol 22:145-52. 2003....
- Expression of type VIII collagen during morphogenesis of the chicken and mouse heartM L Iruela-Arispe
Department of Biological Structure, University of Washington, Seattle 98195
Dev Biol 144:107-18. 1991..The contribution of this collagen to cardiac morphogenesis might reside, in part, in its ability to influence the differentiation of the myocardium and formation of the cardiac valves...