Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Cdkn1b
Description: cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitor 1B
Alias: AA408329, AI843786, Kip1, p27, p27Kip1, cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitor 1B, cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitor p27
Publications162 found, 100 shown here
- Chx10 is required to block photoreceptor differentiation but is dispensable for progenitor proliferation in the postnatal retinaIzzy Livne-Bar
Toronto Western Research Institute, University Health Network
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:4988-93. 2006..only a small fraction of cells expressing mutated Chx10 mRNA were rods, but this fraction increased after p27(Kip1) inactivation, which partially rescues proliferation...
- Defects in retinal pigment epithelium cell proliferation and retinal attachment in mutant mice with p27(Kip1) gene ablationDennis M Defoe
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, James H Quillen College of Medicine, East Tennessee State University, Johnson City, TN 37614 0582, USA
Mol Vis 13:273-86. 2007..The present study examines the potential role of the negative cell cycle regulator p27(Kip1) in controlling RPE proliferation, using mice with targeted ablation of the p27(Kip1) gene.
- Cdk-inhibitory activity and stability of p27Kip1 are directly regulated by oncogenic tyrosine kinasesMatthias Grimmler
Max Planck Institute of Biochemistry, Am Klopferspitz 18, D 82152 Martinsried, Germany
Cell 128:269-80. 2007b>p27Kip1 controls cell proliferation by binding to and regulating the activity of cyclin-dependent kinases (Cdks). Here we show that Cdk inhibition and p27 stability are regulated through direct phosphorylation by tyrosine kinases...
- Testing the importance of p27 degradation by the SCFskp2 pathway in murine models of lung and colon cancerInke Timmerbeul
Department of Gastroenterology, Hepatology, and Endocrinology, Institute for Molecular Biology, Department of Hematology and Oncology, Institute for Pathology, Hannover Medical School, D 30625 Hannover, Germany
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:14009-14. 2006Decreased expression of the CDK inhibitor p27kip1 in human tumors directly correlates with increased resistance to chemotherapies, increased rates of metastasis, and an overall increased rate of patient mortality...
- p57 and Hes1 coordinate cell cycle exit with self-renewal of pancreatic progenitorsSenta Georgia
Larry Hillblom Islet Research Center, David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Dev Biol 298:22-31. 2006....
- A syndrome of multiorgan hyperplasia with features of gigantism, tumorigenesis, and female sterility in p27(Kip1)-deficient miceM L Fero
Department of Basic Sciences, Division of Public Health, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, Washington 98104, USA
Cell 85:733-44. 1996Targeted disruption of the murine p27(Kip1) gene caused a gene dose-dependent increase in animal size without other gross morphologic abnormalities...
- Size control in animal developmentI Conlon
Developmental Neurobiology Programme, Medical Research Council Laboratory for Molecular Cell Biology, University College London, United Kingdom
Cell 96:235-44. 1999
- p27kip1 independently promotes neuronal differentiation and migration in the cerebral cortexLaurent Nguyen
Division of Molecular Neurobiology, National Institute for Medical Research, The Ridgeway, Mill Hill, London NW7 1AA, United Kingdom
Genes Dev 20:1511-24. 2006..Here we show that the cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitor p27(Kip1) plays an important role in neurogenesis in the mouse cerebral cortex by promoting the differentiation and radial ..
- A pathway in quiescent cells that controls p27Kip1 stability, subcellular localization, and tumor suppressionArnaud Besson
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Division of Basic Sciences, Seattle, Washington 98109, USA
Genes Dev 20:47-64. 2006We have created two knock-in mouse models to study the mechanisms that regulate p27 in normal cells and cause misregulation of p27 in tumors: p27(S10A), in which Ser10 is mutated to Ala; and p27(CK-), in which point mutations abrogate ..
- A functional link between Wnt signaling and SKP2-independent p27 turnover in mammary tumorsGustavo A Miranda-Carboni
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California at Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California 90095, USA
Genes Dev 22:3121-34. 2008Loss of the CDK inhibitor p27(KIP1) is widely linked with poor prognosis in human cancer...
- The Notch ligands DLL1 and JAG2 act synergistically to regulate hair cell development in the mammalian inner earAmy E Kiernan
The Jackson Laboratory, Bar Harbor, ME 04609, USA
Development 132:4353-62. 2005..Our results demonstrate that the Notch pathway plays a dual role in regulating cellular differentiation and patterning in the cochlea, acting both through lateral inhibition and the control of cellular proliferation...
- Control of Müller glial cell proliferation and activation following retinal injuryM A Dyer
Department of Genetics and Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Harvard Medical School, 200 Longwood Avenue, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Nat Neurosci 3:873-80. 2000..We have found that downregulation of the tumor supressor protein p27Kip1 and re-entry into the cell cycle occurs within the first 24 hours after retinal injury...
- Down-regulation of p27Kip1 expression is required for development and function of T cellsT Tsukiyama
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, Medical Institute of Bioregulation, Kyushu University, Maidashi, Higashi ku, Fukuoka, Fukuoka, Japan
J Immunol 166:304-12. 2001..The cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitor p27(Kip1) is abundant throughout development in cells of the T cell lineage, with the exception of late stage CD4(-)CD8(-) ..
- Molecular dissection of the interaction between p27 and Kip1 ubiquitylation-promoting complex, the ubiquitin ligase that regulates proteolysis of p27 in G1 phaseShuhei Kotoshiba
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, Medical Institute of Bioregulation, Kyushu University, 3 1 1 Maidashi, Higashi ku, Fukuoka, Fukuoka 812 8582
J Biol Chem 280:17694-700. 2005..We recently identified a novel ubiquitin ligase, KPC (Kip1 ubiquitylation-promoting complex), consisting of KPC1 and KPC2, which regulates the ubiquitin-dependent degradation ..
- Targeted disruption of Skp2 results in accumulation of cyclin E and p27(Kip1), polyploidy and centrosome overduplicationK Nakayama
Laboratory of Embryonic and Genetic Engineering, Medical Institute of Bioregulation, Kyushu University, 3 1 1 Maidashi, Higashi ku, Fukuoka 812 8582, Japan
EMBO J 19:2069-81. 2000..Skp2(-/-) cells also exhibit increased accumulation of both cyclin E and p27(Kip1)...
- Fgf20 is required for sensory epithelial specification in the developing cochleaToshinori Hayashi
Virginia Merrill Bloedel Hearing Research Center and Department of Biological Structure, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98195, USA
J Neurosci 28:5991-9. 2008..Our results thus define the period of FGF-dependent sensory cell specification and the ligand that mediates this step in cochlear development...
- Mammalian cells cycle without the D-type cyclin-dependent kinases Cdk4 and Cdk6Marcos Malumbres
Molecular Oncology Program, Centro Nacional de Investigaciones Oncologicas CNIO, E 28029 Madrid, Spain
Cell 118:493-504. 2004..These results indicate that D-type cyclin-dependent kinases are not essential for cell cycle entry and suggest the existence of alternative mechanisms to initiate cell proliferation upon mitogenic stimulation...
- Cytoplasmic ubiquitin ligase KPC regulates proteolysis of p27(Kip1) at G1 phaseTakumi Kamura
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, Medical Institute of Bioregulation, Kyushu University, 3 1 1 Maidashi, Higashi ku, Fukuoka, Fukuoka 812 8582, Japan
Nat Cell Biol 6:1229-35. 2004The cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitor p27(Kip1) is degraded at the G0-G1 transition of the cell cycle by the ubiquitin-proteasome pathway...
- Regulation of male germ cell cycle arrest and differentiation by DND1 is modulated by genetic backgroundMatthew S Cook
Department of Cell Biology, Duke University, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Development 138:23-32. 2011..that DND1 directly binds a group of transcripts that encode negative regulators of the cell cycle, including p27(Kip1) and p21(Cip)(1)...
- The cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitor p27Kip1 safeguards against inflammatory injuryV Ophascharoensuk
Department of Medicine, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle 98195 6521, USA
Nat Med 4:575-80. 1998The cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitor p27Kip1 controls cell proliferation in response to normal mitogenic stimuli. We show here that p27Kip1 also safeguards against excessive cell proliferation in specific pathophysiologic settings...
- Cytokine-stimulated T lymphocyte proliferation is regulated by p27Kip1S Zhang
Department of Microbiology and Immunology and Walther Oncology Center, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
J Immunol 165:6270-7. 2000T lymphocyte growth is regulated by the cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitor p27(Kip1). Mice deficient in p27(Kip1) have increased proliferative responses to multiple cytokines, including IL-2, IL-4, and IL-12, but not to anti-CD3...
- A prostatic intraepithelial neoplasia-dependent p27 Kip1 checkpoint induces senescence and inhibits cell proliferation and cancer progressionPradip K Majumder
Department of Medical Oncology, Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Cancer Cell 14:146-55. 2008..In luminal epithelial cells of Akt-driven PIN, we show the concomitant induction of p27(Kip1) and senescence...
- Mice lacking p27(Kip1) display increased body size, multiple organ hyperplasia, retinal dysplasia, and pituitary tumorsK Nakayama
Department of Biology, Nippon Roche Research Center, Kamakura, Kanagawa, Japan
Cell 85:707-20. 1996Mice lacking p27(Kip1) have been created by gene targeting in embryonic stem cells. These mice are larger than the control animals, with thymus, pituitary, and adrenal glands and gonadal organs exhibiting striking enlargement...
- The murine gene p27Kip1 is haplo-insufficient for tumour suppressionM L Fero
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, Washington 98109, USA
Nature 396:177-80. 1998..Thus, p27Kip1 does not fulfil Knudson's 'two-mutation' criterion for a tumour-suppressor gene...
- Cell-cycle inhibitors: three families united by a common causeA Vidal
Laboratory of Cell Cycle Regulation, Molecular Biology Program, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY 10021, USA
Gene 247:1-15. 2000..We will discuss the interrelationships between Cip/Kip inhibitors and the components of the pRb pathway, and how their activities ultimately regulate cell proliferation...
- Cdk2 is dispensable for cell cycle inhibition and tumor suppression mediated by p27(Kip1) and p21(Cip1)Alberto Martin
Molecular Oncology Program, Centro Nacional de Investigaciones Oncologicas CNIO, 28029 Madrid, Spain
Cancer Cell 7:591-8. 2005p27(Kip1) and p21(Cip1) are thought to suppress tumor growth and prevent cell cycle progression by inhibiting Cdk2-cyclin E/A kinases...
- Cdk5 phosphorylates and stabilizes p27kip1 contributing to actin organization and cortical neuronal migrationTakeshi Kawauchi
Department of Pathology and Tumor Biology, Graduate School of Medicine, Kyoto University, Sakyo ku, Kyoto 606 8501, Japan
Nat Cell Biol 8:17-26. 2006p27(kip1), a cyclin-dependent kinase (CDK) inhibitor (CKI), generally suppresses CDK activity in proliferating cells...
- Notch ligands with contrasting functions: Jagged1 and Delta1 in the mouse inner earRachael Brooker
Vertebrate Development Laboratory, Cancer Research UK London Research Institute, 44 Lincoln s Inn Fields, London WC2A 3PX, UK
Development 133:1277-86. 2006..This correlates with loss of expression of the cell cycle inhibitor p27(Kip1) (Cdkn1b), suggesting that signalling by Jag1 is also needed to limit proliferation of prosensory cells, and that there is ..
- The tumor suppressor functions of p27(kip1) include control of the mesenchymal/amoeboid transitionStefania Berton
Division of Experimental Oncology 2, Centro di Riferimento Oncologico, Aviano, Italy
Mol Cell Biol 29:5031-45. 2009In many human cancers, p27 downregulation correlates with a worse prognosis, suggesting that p27 levels could represent an important determinant in cell transformation and cancer development...
- p27kip1 controls cell morphology and motility by regulating microtubule-dependent lipid raft recyclingBarbara Belletti
Division of Experimental Oncology 2, Centro di Riferimento Oncologico, National Cancer Institute, Via Franco Gallini, 2, 33081 Aviano, Italy
Mol Cell Biol 30:2229-40. 2010p27(kip1) (p27) is an inhibitor of cyclin/cyclin-dependent kinase complexes, whose nuclear loss indicates a poor prognosis in various solid tumors...
- p27(Kip1) links cell proliferation to morphogenesis in the developing organ of CortiP Chen
Department of Cell and Molecular Biology, House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, CA 90057, USA
Development 126:1581-90. 1999..Here we report that the correct timing of cell cycle withdrawal in the developing organ of Corti requires p27(Kip1), a cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitor that functions as an inhibitor of cell cycle progression...
- A mechanism misregulating p27 in tumors discovered in a functional genomic screenCarrie M Garrett-Engele
Division of Basic Sciences, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, Washington, USA
PLoS Genet 3:e219. 2007The cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitor p27(KIP1) is a tumor suppressor gene in mice, and loss of p27 protein is a negative prognostic indicator in human cancers. Unlike other tumor suppressors, the p27 gene is rarely mutated in tumors...
- Novel tool to suppress cell proliferation in vivo demonstrates that myocardial and coronary vascular growth represent distinct developmental programsKory J Lavine
Department of Developmental Biology, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
Dev Dyn 237:713-24. 2008..We have generated mice that conditionally express the cell cycle inhibitor p27(Kip1), following Cre-mediated recombination, as a tool to separate tissue proliferation from other cellular processes...
- A role for p27/Kip1 in the control of cerebellar granule cell precursor proliferationK Miyazawa
Department of Hygiene, Kobe University School of Medicine, Japan
J Neurosci 20:5756-63. 2000..Among the inhibitors we examined, only p27/Kip1 (p27) was expressed at significant levels in cells of the granule cell lineage in the developing and adult ..
- The cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitors p19(Ink4d) and p27(Kip1) are coexpressed in select retinal cells and act cooperatively to control cell cycle exitJustine J Cunningham
Department of Developmental Neurobiology, St Jude Children s Research Hospital, 332 North Lauderdale Street, Memphis, Tennessee 38105, USA
Mol Cell Neurosci 19:359-74. 2002Cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitors (cdki's), including p19(Ink4d) and p27(Kip1), mediate exit from the cell cycle...
- Characterization of the murine cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitor gene p27Kip1T K Kwon
Clinical Immunology Section, National Institute on Aging, National Institutes of Health, Baltimore, MD 21224 2780, USA
Gene 180:113-20. 1996The cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitor p27Kip1 plays an important role in regulating cell-cycle progression...
- Cip/Kip cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitors: brakes of the cell cycle engine during developmentK Nakayama
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, Kyushu University, Fukuoka, Japan
Bioessays 20:1020-9. 1998..In this review, the biological roles of Cip/Kip CKIs in development and tumor suppression are discussed...
- Prox1 function is crucial for mouse lens-fibre elongationJ T Wigle
Department of Genetics, St Jude Children s Research Hospital, Memphis, Tennessee 38105, USA
Nat Genet 21:318-22. 1999..abnormal cellular proliferation, downregulated expression of the cell-cycle inhibitors Cdkn1b (also known as p27KIP1) and Cdkn1c (also known as p57KIP2), misexpression of E-cadherin and inappropriate apoptosis...
- Genetic evidence for the interactions of cyclin D1 and p27(Kip1) in miceW Tong
Department of Developmental and Molecular Biology, Center for the Study of Reproductive Biology and Women s Health, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, New York, New York 10461, USA
Mol Cell Biol 21:1319-28. 2001..Consistent with this situation null mutations in the genes for cyclin D1 and Cki p27(Kip1) in mice give opposite phenotypes of dwarfism and gigantism...
- p27(Kip1): regulation and function of a haploinsufficient tumor suppressor and its misregulation in cancerJ Philipp-Staheli
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, C1 015, 1100 Fairview Avenue North, Seattle, Washington 90109 1024, USA
Exp Cell Res 264:148-68. 2001A major function of p27, also known as Kip1, is to bind and inhibit cyclin/cyclin-dependent kinase complexes, thereby blocking cell cycle progression...
- A CDK-independent function of mammalian Cks1: targeting of SCF(Skp2) to the CDK inhibitor p27Kip1C Spruck
The Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, California 92037, USA
Mol Cell 7:639-50. 2001..Here we demonstrate that Cks1 directs the ubiquitin-mediated proteolysis of the CDK-bound substrate p27Kip1 by the protein ubiquitin ligase (E3) SCF(Skp2)...
- A mouse knock-in model exposes sequential proteolytic pathways that regulate p27Kip1 in G1 and S phaseN P Malek
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, Washington 98104, USA
Nature 413:323-7. 2001The protein p27Kip1 is an inhibitor of cell division. An increase in p27 causes proliferating cells to exit from the cell cycle, and a decrease in p27 is necessary for quiescent cells to resume division...
- Deregulated degradation of the cdk inhibitor p27 and malignant transformationJoanna Bloom
Department of Pathology and NYU Cancer Instutute, MSB599, New York University School of Medicine, 550 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016, USA
Semin Cancer Biol 13:41-7. 2003b>p27 acts as a critical negative regulator of the cell cycle by inhibiting the activity of cyclin/cdk complexes during G0 and G1...
- Cell output, cell cycle duration and neuronal specification: a model of integrated mechanisms of the neocortical proliferative processV S Caviness
Department of Neurology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Cereb Cortex 13:592-8. 2003..The results indicate that events affecting the output of the proliferative population affect both the number of neurons produced and their specification with regard to their laminar fate...
- Different cooperating effect of p21 or p27 deficiency in combination with INK4a/ARF deletion in miceJuan Martin-Caballero
Molecular Oncology Program, Spanish National Cancer Center CNIO, Melchor Fernandez Almagro 3, Madrid E 28029, Spain
Oncogene 23:8231-7. 2004..we investigated the consequences of the combined loss of either of two cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitors, p21 and p27, in cooperation with deletion of the INK4a/ARF locus...
- A critical role for p27kip1 gene dosage in a mouse model of prostate carcinogenesisHui Gao
Center for Advanced Biotechnology and Medicine, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, Piscataway, NJ 08854, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101:17204-9. 2004In human prostate cancer, the frequent down-regulation of p27(kip1) protein expression is correlated with poor clinical outcome, yet p27(kip1) rarely undergoes mutational inactivation...
- Evidence for a p27 tumor suppressive function independent of its role regulating cell proliferation in the prostateDavid R Shaffer
Department of Medicine, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, 1275 York Avenue, New York, NY 10021, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:210-5. 2005Reduced p27 levels correlate with poor prognosis in a wide spectrum of human tumors and can accelerate tumorigenesis in mouse tissues...
- p27(Kip1)-stathmin interaction influences sarcoma cell migration and invasionGustavo Baldassarre
Oncologia Sperimentale 2, Centro di Riferimento Oncologico, Istituto Nazionale Tumori, IRCCS, Aviano 33081, Italy
Cancer Cell 7:51-63. 2005..Here, we report that cytoplasmic expression of p27(kip1) affects microtubule (MT) stability following cell adhesion on extracellular matrix (ECM) constituents...
- Sox2 is required for sensory organ development in the mammalian inner earAmy E Kiernan
MRC Institute of Hearing Research, University of Nottingham, Nottingham NG7 2RD, UK
Nature 434:1031-5. 2005....
- The Notch ligand JAG1 is required for sensory progenitor development in the mammalian inner earAmy E Kiernan
The Jackson Laboratory, Bar Harbor, Maine, USA
PLoS Genet 2:e4. 2006..The saccular macula is present but malformed. Using SOX2 and p27kip1 as molecular markers of the prosensory domain, we show that JAG1 is initially expressed in all the prosensory ..
- Expression of Prox1 during mouse cochlear developmentOlivia Bermingham-McDonogh
Virginia Merrill Bloedel Hearing Research Center and Department of Otolaryngology, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, Washington 98195, USA
J Comp Neurol 496:172-86. 2006..These studies form a baseline from which we can analyze the role of Prox1 in vertebrate sensory development...
- Math5 is required for both early retinal neuron differentiation and cell cycle progressionTien T Le
Division of Developmental Biology, Children s Hospital Research Foundation, Departments of Pediatrics and Ophthalmology University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, 3333 Burnet Avenue, Cincinnati, OH 45229 7007, USA
Dev Biol 295:764-78. 2006..The drastic fate shift of Math5-/- cells correlates with age-specific alterations in p27/Kip1 expression and an inability to become fully postmitotic...
- Expression of the LIM-homeodomain protein Isl1 in the developing and mature mouse retinaYasser Elshatory
Center for Aging and Developmental Biology, University of Rochester, Rochester, NY 14642, USA
J Comp Neurol 503:182-97. 2007..Taken together, Isl1 is expressed during the maturation of and is later maintained in retinal ganglion cells and subtypes of amacrine and bipolar cells where it may function in the maintenance of these cells into adulthood...
- Cux2 (Cutl2) integrates neural progenitor development with cell-cycle progression during spinal cord neurogenesisAngelo Iulianella
Stowers Institute for Medical Research, 1000 E 50th Street, Kansas City, MO 64110, USA
Development 135:729-41. 2008..defects correlate with reduced cell-cycle progression of neural progenitors coupled with diminished Neurod and p27(Kip1) activity...
- p27(KIP1) regulates neurogenesis in the rostral migratory stream and olfactory bulb of the postnatal mouseXuekun Li
Department of Cell Biology, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia 30322, USA
J Neurosci 29:2902-14. 2009..We investigated the role of p27(KIP1) in regulating cell proliferation and survival in the RMS and olfactory bulb between postnatal day 1 (P1) and P14, ..
- Thrombin induces tumor cell cycle activation and spontaneous growth by down-regulation of p27Kip1, in association with the up-regulation of Skp2 and MiR-222Liang Hu
Department of Medicine, New York University School of Medicine, New York, USA
Cancer Res 69:3374-81. 2009..Cell cycle kinases and inhibitors in synchronized tumor cells revealed high levels of p27(Kip1) and low levels of Skp2 and cyclins D1 and A...
- Altered cell differentiation and proliferation in mice lacking p57KIP2 indicates a role in Beckwith-Wiedemann syndromeP Zhang
Verna and Marrs McLean Department of Biochemistry, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Nature 387:151-8. 1997....
- Degradation of the cyclin-dependent-kinase inhibitor p27Kip1 is instigated by Jab1K Tomoda
Graduate School of Biological Sciences, Nara Institute of Science and Technology, Ikoma, Japan
Nature 398:160-5. 1999The proliferation of mammalian cells is under strict control, and the cyclin-dependent-kinase inhibitory protein p27Kip1 is an essential participant in this regulation both in vitro and in vivo...
- Gene disruption of p27(Kip1) allows cell proliferation in the postnatal and adult organ of cortiH Löwenheim
Department of Otolaryngology, University of Tubingen, Silcherstrasse 5, 72076 Tubingen, Germany
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 96:4084-8. 1999..Here we report that the cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitor p27(Kip1) is selectively expressed in the supporting-cell population of the organ of Corti...
- STAT3-mediated differentiation and survival and of myeloid cells in response to granulocyte colony-stimulating factor: role for the cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitor p27(Kip1)J P de Koning
Institute of Hematology, Erasmus University, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Oncogene 19:3290-8. 2000..G-CSF induces expression of the cyclin-dependent kinase (cdk) inhibitor p27(KiP1) (but not p21(CiP1)), which is completely blocked by DN-STAT3...
- Stem cell repopulation efficiency but not pool size is governed by p27(kip1)T Cheng
Massachusetts General Hospital AIDS Research Center, Harvard Medical School, 149 13th Street, Room 5212 Boston, Massachusetts 02129, USA
Nat Med 6:1235-40. 2000..Here we report that another CDKI, p27(kip1) (p27), does not affect stem cell number, cell cycling, or self-renewal, but markedly alters progenitor ..
- The cytoplasmic shuttling and subsequent degradation of p27Kip1 mediated by Jab1/CSN5 and the COP9 signalosome complexKiichiro Tomoda
Graduate School of Biological Sciences, Nara Institute of Science and Technology, 8916 5 Takayama, Ikoma, Nara 630 0101, Japan
J Biol Chem 277:2302-10. 2002..Jab1/CSN5, directly binds to and induces specific down-regulation of the cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitor p27 (p27(Kip1))...
- Loss of p27(Kip1) but not p21(Cip1) decreases survival and synergizes with MYC in murine lymphomagenesisCarla P Martins
Division of Molecular Genetics and Center for Biomedical Genetics, The Netherlands Cancer Institute, Plesmanlaan 121, 1066 CX Amsterdam, The Netherlands
EMBO J 21:3739-48. 2002The cyclin-dependent kinase (CDK) inhibitors p21(Cip1) and p27(Kip1) are induced in response to anti-proliferative stimuli and block G(1)/S-phase progression through the inhibition of CDK2...
- Identification of oncogenes collaborating with p27Kip1 loss by insertional mutagenesis and high-throughput insertion site analysisHarry C Hwang
Division of Clinical Research and Human Biology, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, 1100 Fairview Avenue North, Seattle, WA 98109, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99:11293-8. 2002The p27(Kip1) protein is a cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitor that blocks cell division in response to antimitogenic cues...
- ELAV/Hu proteins inhibit p27 translation via an IRES element in the p27 5'UTRMichael Kullmann
Max Planck Institute of Biochemistry, Am Klopferspitz 18a, D 82152 Martinsried, Germany
Genes Dev 16:3087-99. 2002b>p27Kip1 restrains cell proliferation by binding to and inhibiting cyclin-dependent kinases...
- Cellular growth and rearrangement during the development of the mammalian organ of CortiErynn McKenzie
Section on Developmental Neuroscience, National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders, National Institutes of Health, Rockville, Maryland, USA
Dev Dyn 229:802-12. 2004..of sensory precursor cells were determined at different developmental time points based on expression of p27kip1. Unique changes in luminal surface area, cell density, and number of cell contacts were observed for each region ..
- p27Kip1 modulates cell migration through the regulation of RhoA activationArnaud Besson
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Division of Basic Science, Seattle, WA 98109, USA
Genes Dev 18:862-76. 2004The tumor suppressor p27(Kip1) is an inhibitor of cyclin/cyclin-dependent kinase (CDK) complexes and plays a crucial role in cell cycle regulation. However, p27(Kip1) also has cell cycle-independent functions...
- The role of p27(Kip1) in maintaining the levels of D-type cyclins in vivoVitezslav Bryja
Center for Cell Therapy and Tissue Repair, Charles University, Prague, Czech Republic
Biochim Biophys Acta 1691:105-16. 2004This in vivo study employs p27-deficient mice to investigate the significance of p27 for the metabolism of D-type cyclins in differentiated cells. The absence of p27 results in decreased levels of cyclins D2 and/or D3 in some organs...
- RANKL coordinates cell cycle withdrawal and differentiation in osteoclasts through the cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitors p27KIP1 and p21CIP1Uma Sankar
Department of Molecular Genetics, The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio 43210, USA
J Bone Miner Res 19:1339-48. 2004..that RANKL promoted cell cycle withdrawal of osteoclast precursors dependent on the cyclin kinase inhibitor p27-KIP1, but that both p27-KIP1 and p21-CIP1 were required for osteoclast differentiation...
- Mouse development and cell proliferation in the absence of D-cyclinsKatarzyna Kozar
Department of Cancer Biology, Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Cell 118:477-91. 2004..Lastly, we found that cells lacking D-cyclins display reduced susceptibility to the oncogenic transformation. Our results reveal the presence of alternative mechanisms that allow cell cycle progression in a cyclin D-independent fashion...
- p27Kip1 acts downstream of N-cadherin-mediated cell adhesion to promote myogenesis beyond cell cycle regulationGraziella Messina
Istituto Pasteur Fondazione Cenci Bolognetti, Dipartimento di Biologia Cellulare e dello Sviluppo, Universita di Roma La Sapienza, 00185 Roma, Italy
Mol Biol Cell 16:1469-80. 2005..failure to undergo terminal differentiation is independent from cell cycle control and reflects the lack of p27Kip1 and MyoD in proliferating myoblasts...
- Cell-cycle inhibitors p27Kip1 and p21Cip1 regulate murine Sertoli cell proliferationDenise R Holsberger
Department of Veterinary Biosciences, University of Illinois, Urbana 61802, USA
Biol Reprod 72:1429-36. 2005..and recent results have shown that thyroid hormone upregulates cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitors (CDKIs) p27Kip1 and p21Cip1 (also known as CDKN1B and CDKN1A, respectively) in neonatal Sertoli cells...
- Cdc2-cyclin E complexes regulate the G1/S phase transitionEiman Aleem
Mouse Cancer Genetics Program, National Cancer Institute, NCI Frederick, Bldg 560 22 56, 1050 Boyles Street, Frederick, MD 21702 1201, USA
Nat Cell Biol 7:831-6. 2005The cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitor p27(Kip1) is known as a negative regulator of cell-cycle progression and as a tumour suppressor...
- Incomplete inhibition of the Rb tumor suppressor pathway in the context of inactivated p53 is sufficient for pancreatic islet tumorigenesisOriol Casanovas
Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics, Diabetes Center and Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of California San Francisco, 94143, USA
Oncogene 24:6597-604. 2005..Indeed, genetic ablation of the p27(Kip1) or Rb genes accentuated Tag-induced tumorigenesis, with loss of Rb in particular broadly enhancing multiple ..
- Pathway- and expression level-dependent effects of oncogenic N-Ras: p27(Kip1) mislocalization by the Ral-GEF pathway and Erk-mediated interference with Smad signalingShiri Kfir
Department of Neurobiochemistry, The George S Wise Faculty of Life Sciences, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv 69978, Israel
Mol Cell Biol 25:8239-50. 2005..of epithelial cells in several ways, including interference with cell cycle regulation via the CDK inhibitor p27(Kip1) (p27) and disruption of transforming growth factor beta (TGF-beta) anti-proliferative activity...
- Genetic mosaics reveal both cell-autonomous and cell-nonautonomous function of murine p27Kip1Wei Ming Chien
Clinical Research Division, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, 1100 Fairview Avenue North, Seattle, WA 98109, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:4122-7. 2006Loss of the cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitor p27(Kip1) leads to an overall increase in animal growth, pituitary tumors, and hyperplasia of hematopoietic organs, yet it is unknown whether all cells function autonomously in response to p27(..
- Combined loss of Cdk2 and Cdk4 results in embryonic lethality and Rb hypophosphorylationCyril Berthet
National Cancer Institute, Mouse Cancer Genetics Program, NCI Frederick, Building 560 22 56, 1050 Boyles Street, Frederick, Maryland 21702, USA
Dev Cell 10:563-73. 2006..In contrast, loss of p27 did not rescue Cdk2-/- Cdk4-/- phenotypes...
- Myc targets Cks1 to provoke the suppression of p27Kip1, proliferation and lymphomagenesisUlrich B Keller
Department of Biochemistry, St Jude Children s Research Hospital, Memphis, TN, USA
EMBO J 26:2562-74. 2007Reduced levels of the cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitor p27(Kip1) connote poor prognosis in cancer...
- Renal damage in obstructive nephropathy is decreased in Skp2-deficient miceSayuri Suzuki
Department of Biochemistry 1, Hamamatsu University School of Medicine, Japan
Am J Pathol 171:473-83. 2007Ubiquitin-dependent degradation of the cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitor p27 mediated by SCF-Skp2 ubiquitin ligase is involved in cell cycle regulation...
- Pin1 catalyzes conformational changes of Thr-187 in p27Kip1 and mediates its stability through a polyubiquitination processWei Zhou
Department of Biological Sciences, National University of Singapore, Singapore 117543, Singapore
J Biol Chem 284:23980-8. 2009..The phosphorylation-directed ubiquitination is one of the major mechanisms to regulate the abundance of p27(Kip1)...
- Skp2 directs Myc-mediated suppression of p27Kip1 yet has modest effects on Myc-driven lymphomagenesisJennifer B Old
Department of Biochemistry, St Jude Children s Research Hospital, Memphis, Tennessee, USA
Mol Cancer Res 8:353-62. 2010The universal cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitor p27(Kip1) functions as a tumor suppressor, and reduced levels of p27(Kip1) connote poor prognosis in several human malignancies...
- p21, an important mediator of quiescence during pituitary tumor formation, is dispensable for normal pituitary development during embryogenesisPamela Monahan
Department of Molecular and Integrative Physiology, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, Urbana, IL 61801, USA
Mech Dev 128:640-52. 2012..The cyclin dependent kinase inhibitors (CDKIs) of the CIP/KIP family, p21, p27 and p57, mediate cell cycle inhibition...
- p27(Kip1) directly represses Sox2 during embryonic stem cell differentiationHan Li
Tumor Suppression Group, Spanish National Cancer Research Centre, Madrid, E28029, Spain
Cell Stem Cell 11:845-52. 2012..We have observed that cells lacking the tumor suppressor p27 can be reprogrammed into induced pluripotent stem cells (iPSCs) in the absence of ectopic Sox2...
- Skp2 deletion unmasks a p27 safeguard that blocks tumorigenesis in the absence of pRb and p53 tumor suppressorsHongling Zhao
Department of Developmental and Molecular Biology, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, NY 10461, USA Department of Medicine, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, NY 10461, USA Albert Einstein Cancer Center, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, NY 10461, USA Marion Bessin Liver Research Center, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, NY 10461, USA
Cancer Cell 24:645-59. 2013..Here, we found that p53 activates expression of Pirh2 and KPC1, two of the three ubiquitin ligases for p27. Loss of p53 in the absence of Skp2, the third ubiquitin ligase for p27, shrinks the cellular pool of p27 ubiquitin ..
- p27, a novel inhibitor of G1 cyclin-Cdk protein kinase activity, is related to p21H Toyoshima
Molecular Biology and Virology Laboratory, Salk Institute, La Jolla, California 92037
Cell 78:67-74. 1994..p27 is identical to p27Kip1, a cyclin-Cdk inhibitor present in TGF beta-treated cells...
- Enhanced growth of mice lacking the cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitor function of p27(Kip1)H Kiyokawa
Program in Molecular Biology, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, New York 10021, USA
Cell 85:721-32. 1996Disruption of the cyclin-dependent kinase-inhibitory domain of p27 enhances growth of mice...
- Formation of p27-CDK complexes during the human mitotic cell cycleT J Soos
Program in Molecular Biology, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Research Center, New York, New York 10021, USA
Cell Growth Differ 7:135-46. 1996..In vitro and in nonproliferating cells, p27 associates with and inhibits cyclin/cycin-dependent kinase (CDK) holoenzymes containing either CDK4, CDK6, or CDK2...
- Oligodendrocyte precursor differentiation is perturbed in the absence of the cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitor p27Kip1P Casaccia-Bonnefil
Department of Cell Biology and Anatomy, Cornell University Medical College, New York, New York 10021, USA
Genes Dev 11:2335-46. 1997..Here we report that p27(Kip1), a cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitor, is an important component of the decision of O-2A cells to withdraw from the ..
- Cooperation between the Cdk inhibitors p27(KIP1) and p57(KIP2) in the control of tissue growth and developmentP Zhang
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, New York 10461 USA
Genes Dev 12:3162-7. 1998..In this study, using multiple mutant mice, we show that the Cdk inhibitors p27(KIP1) and p57(KIP2) function redundantly to control cell cycle exit and differentiation of lens fiber cells and ..
- The p21(Cip1) and p27(Kip1) CDK 'inhibitors' are essential activators of cyclin D-dependent kinases in murine fibroblastsM Cheng
Department of Tumor Cell Biology, St Jude Children s Research Hospital, 332 N Lauderdale, Memphis, TN 38105, USA
EMBO J 18:1571-83. 1999..normal up-regulation of cyclin D- CDK4 in mitogen-stimulated fibroblasts depends redundantly upon p21(Cip1) and p27(Kip1)...
- p27(Kip1) regulates cell cycle withdrawal of late multipotent progenitor cells in the mammalian retinaE M Levine
Department of Biological Structure, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington, 98195, USA
Dev Biol 219:299-314. 2000The cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitor protein, p27(Kip1), is necessary for the timing of cell cycle withdrawal that precedes terminal differentiation in oligodendrocytes of the optic nerve...
- p27Kip1-deficient mice exhibit accelerated growth hormone-releasing hormone (GHRH)-induced somatotrope proliferation and adenoma formationL T Teixeira
Department of Medicine, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, Illinois 60612, USA
Oncogene 19:1875-84. 2000b>p27Kip1 (p27) controls cell cycle progression by binding to and inhibiting the activity of cyclin dependent kinases...
- Deletion of the p27Kip1 gene restores normal development in cyclin D1-deficient miceY Geng
Department of Cancer Biology, Dana Farber Cancer Institute, and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 98:194-9. 2001..In addition, D-cyclins play a kinase-independent role by sequestering cell cycle inhibitors p27(Kip1) and p21(Cip1)...
- Pten and p27KIP1 cooperate in prostate cancer tumor suppression in the mouseA Di Cristofano
Department of Human Genetics, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, Sloan Kettering Institute, New York, New York, USA
Nat Genet 27:222-4. 2001..But mice deficient for Cdkn1b (encoding p27(Kip1)) do not develop prostate cancer...
- Degradation of p27(Kip1) at the G(0)-G(1) transition mediated by a Skp2-independent ubiquitination pathwayT Hara
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, Medical Institute of Bioregulation, Kyushu University, 3 1 1 Maidashi, Higashi ku, Fukuoka 812 8582, Japan
J Biol Chem 276:48937-43. 2001Targeting of the cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitor p27(Kip1) for proteolysis has been thought to be mediated by Skp2, the F-box protein component of an SCF ubiquitin ligase complex...
- The role of Math1 in inner ear development: Uncoupling the establishment of the sensory primordium from hair cell fate determinationPing Chen
Gonda Department of Cell and Molecular Biology, House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, CA 90057, USA
Development 129:2495-505. 2002....
- Pathway-specific tumor suppression. Reduction of p27 accelerates gastrointestinal tumorigenesis in Apc mutant mice, but not in Smad3 mutant miceJeannette Philipp-Staheli
Division of Human Biology, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, WA 90109, USA
Cancer Cell 1:355-68. 2002Expression of the cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitor p27(Kip1) (p27) is frequently reduced in human colorectal cancer, and this correlates with poor patient prognosis...
- Genetic rescue of cell number in a mouse model of microphthalmia: interactions between Chx10 and G1-phase cell cycle regulatorsEric S Green
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, John A Moran Eye Center, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT 84132, USA
Development 130:539-52. 2003..To determine if Chx10 regulates cell number by antagonizing p27(Kip1) activity, we generated Chx10, p27(Kip1) double null mice...
- Development of mice expressing a single D-type cyclinMaria A Ciemerych
Department of Cancer Biology, Dana Farber Cancer Institute and Department of Pathology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Genes Dev 16:3277-89. 2002..Hence, the requirement for a particular cyclin in a given tissue is likely caused by specific transcription factors, rather than by unique properties of cyclins...
- Pten dose dictates cancer progression in the prostateLloyd C Trotman
Molecular Biology Program, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, Sloan Kettering Institute, New York, New York, USA
PLoS Biol 1:E59. 2003..The dose of Pten affects key downstream targets such as Akt, p27(Kip1), mTOR, and FOXO3...
- Negative cell-cycle regulators cooperatively control self-renewal and differentiation of haematopoietic stem cellsCarl R Walkley
Research Division, Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre, Victoria 3002, Australia
Nat Cell Biol 7:172-8. 2005..We have investigated the role of two negative regulators of the cell cycle, p27(Kip1) and MAD1, in controlling this transition. Here we show that Mad1(-/-)p27(Kip1-/-) bone marrow has a 5...
- COORDINATE REGULATION OF APOPTOSIS AND CELL CYCLE IN RAHarris Perlman; Fiscal Year: 2004..This approach could lead to the development of a new therapeutic strategy for gene therapy in patients with rheumatoid arthritis. ..
- Fatty Acid Effects on COX-2 Dependent Prostate CancerRussell Klein; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- The Role of Cyclin A in Cardiac DevelopmentHINA CHAUDHRY; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Development of Sensory maps in the Mammalian neocortexYasushi Nakagawa; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..
- p27Kip1 and RPE Cell CycleDENNIS DEFOE; Fiscal Year: 2003..will make use of a mutant mouse with targeted disruption of the gene coding for the cell cycle regulatory protein p27Kip1, in which there is an abnormal expansion of the RPE rnonolayer...
- Marking hair cell progenitors with BAC transgenicsNeil Segil; Fiscal Year: 2004..In the Specific Aim 3, the same purified otic epithelial sub-populations will be profiled using micro-arrays to provide initial information about gene expression networks in the developing inner ear. ..
- Taste circuits in hypothalamusTheresa Harrison; Fiscal Year: 2005..The results of these studies will further our understanding of how the taste of food influences the brain's complex, interacting circuitry controlling eating, body weight and energy expenditure. ..
- The Role of Double Strand Breaks in CarcinogenesisCHRISTOPHER KEMP; Fiscal Year: 2006..Understanding the functional interaction of the P13 Ks, in regulating p53, apoptosis, development and carcinogenesis at the level of the whole animal is a necessary link to apply knowledge gained from cell culture models to the clinic. ..
- Mouse Models of Tumor Progression and Therapy ResponseCHRISTOPHER KEMP; Fiscal Year: 2007..Reduced expression of the cdk inhibitor p27/Kip1 is frequently observed in a wide range of human tumors and this correlates with poor prognosis...
- The cell cycle in ototoxin induced hair cell death.Neil Segil; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- The function of Foxi3 in craniofacial developmentTakahiro Ohyama; Fiscal Year: 2008..This project has significant potential for the future study of craniofacial and sensory organ development that will shed a light on the genetic mechanisms of craniofacial birth defects. ..
- p27(Kip1) and Retinal AttachmentDENNIS DEFOE; Fiscal Year: 2008..of the epithelium, and will make use of a strain of mice that is deficient in the cell cycle regulatory protein p27(Kip1)...
- The role BH3 and multi BH domain genes in regulating monocyte survival and functiHarris Perlman; Fiscal Year: 2008..Further our goal is to characterize mice lacking Bim or it signaling partners only in monocytes and macrophages. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- TNF-alpha Underlies Glomerular Aging in B6 FemalesFeng Zheng; Fiscal Year: 2010..This proposal will attempt to identify factor(s) contributing to the development and progression of glomerulosclerosis in aging. ..
- FGF in sensory system developmentOLIVIA MARY BERMINGHAM MCDONOGH; Fiscal Year: 2010..The prosensory region, defined by p27 expression, is specified by the Notch pathway ligand, Jagged1, FGF receptor 1, and the transcription factor Sox2...