Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Cdkn1a
Description: cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitor 1A (P21)
Alias: CAP20, CDKI, CIP1, Cdkn1, P21, SDI1, Waf1, mda6, p21Cip1, p21WAF, cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitor 1, CDK-interacting protein 1, melanoma differentiation-associated protein
Publications148 found, 100 shown here
- p21 is a critical CDK2 regulator essential for proliferation control in Rb-deficient cellsJ Brugarolas
Department of Biology, Center for Cancer Research, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02139, USA
J Cell Biol 141:503-14. 1998..extrinsic factors, specific loss of function mutations were generated in two negative regulators of G1 progression, p21 and pRB...
- Heterozygosity of p21WAF1/CIP1 enhances tumor cell proliferation and cyclin D1-associated kinase activity in a murine mammary cancer modelJ M Jones
Division of Molecular Virology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Cell Growth Differ 10:213-22. 1999The p21(WAF1/cIP1) cyclin-dependent kinase (cdk) inhibitor is a regulator of the G(1)-S cell cycle checkpoint. Despite the importance of p21 in cell cycle inhibition, its role as a tumor suppressor is uncertain...
- The cell cycle inhibitor p21 controls T-cell proliferation and sex-linked lupus developmentD Balomenos
Department of Immunology and Oncology, Centro Nacional de Biotecnologia CSIC, Cantoblanco, E 28049 Madrid, Spain
Nat Med 6:171-6. 2000Here we show that the cell-cycle regulator p21 is involved in immune system function...
- p21(Cip1) Promotes cyclin D1 nuclear accumulation via direct inhibition of nuclear exportJodi R Alt
Eppley Institute for Research in Cancer and Allied Diseases, University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, Nebraska 68198, USA
J Biol Chem 277:8517-23. 2002There is increasing evidence that p21(Cip1) and p27(Kip1) are requisite positive regulators of cyclin D1.CDK4 assembly and nuclear accumulation...
- Absence of p21Waf1/Cip1/Sdi1 modulates macrophage differentiation and inflammatory response and protects against atherosclerosisAksam J Merched
Department of Molecular, Division of Diabetes, Endocrinology, and Metabolism, Baylor College of Medicine, One Baylor Plaza, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Circulation 110:3830-41. 2004..A major target of p53 is p21, the cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitor that regulates entry into the cell cycle of different types of cells, ..
- Mice lacking p21CIP1/WAF1 undergo normal development, but are defective in G1 checkpoint controlC Deng
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Department of Genetics, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Cell 82:675-84. 1995b>p21CIP1/WAF1 is a CDK inhibitor regulated by the tumor suppressor p53 and is hypothesized to mediate G1 arrest. p53 has been suggested to derive anti-oncogenic properties from this relationship...
- Hematopoietic stem cell quiescence maintained by p21cip1/waf1T Cheng
Experimental Hematology, AIDS Research Center, Massachusetts General Hospital Cancer Center, Transplantation Biology Research Center, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Science 287:1804-8. 2000..assessed using mice engineered to be deficient in the G1 checkpoint regulator, cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitor, p21cip1/waf1 (p21)...
- p53-independent expression of p21Cip1 in muscle and other terminally differentiating cellsS B Parker
Department of Biochemistry, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030
Science 267:1024-7. 1995Terminal differentiation is coupled to withdrawal from the cell cycle. The cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitor (CKI) p21Cip1 is transcriptionally regulated by p53 and can induce growth arrest...
- p21Cip1 restricts neuronal proliferation in the subgranular zone of the dentate gyrus of the hippocampusRobert N Pechnick
Department of Medicine, Division of Endocrinology, Cedars Sinai Medical Center, 8700 Beverly Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA 90048, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105:1358-63. 2008..Cyclin-dependent kinases (CDKs) have a primary role in controlling cell division and cellular proliferation. p21(Cip1) (p21) is a CDK inhibitor that restrains cell cycle progression...
- p21(CIP1) and p57(KIP2) control muscle differentiation at the myogenin stepP Zhang
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030 USA
Genes Dev 13:213-24. 1999..Here we show that two Cdk inhibitors, p21(CIP1) and p57(KIP2), redundantly control differentiation of skeletal muscle and alveoli in the lungs...
- Transcriptional regulation of the p21((WAF1/CIP1)) geneA L Gartel
Department of Molecular Genetics, University of Illinois at Chicago, 900 South Ashland Avenue, Room 2072, Chicago, Illinois, 60607, USA
Exp Cell Res 246:280-9. 1999
- The p21(Cip1) and p27(Kip1) CDK 'inhibitors' are essential activators of cyclin D-dependent kinases in murine fibroblastsM Cheng
Department of Tumor Cell Biology, St Jude Children s Research Hospital, 332 N Lauderdale, Memphis, TN 38105, USA
EMBO J 18:1571-83. 1999..that normal up-regulation of cyclin D- CDK4 in mitogen-stimulated fibroblasts depends redundantly upon p21(Cip1) and p27(Kip1)...
- Cell-cycle inhibitors p27Kip1 and p21Cip1 regulate murine Sertoli cell proliferationDenise R Holsberger
Department of Veterinary Biosciences, University of Illinois, Urbana 61802, USA
Biol Reprod 72:1429-36. 2005..recent results have shown that thyroid hormone upregulates cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitors (CDKIs) p27Kip1 and p21Cip1 (also known as CDKN1B and CDKN1A, respectively) in neonatal Sertoli cells...
- Cooperation between the Cdk inhibitors p27(KIP1) and p57(KIP2) in the control of tissue growth and developmentP Zhang
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, New York 10461 USA
Genes Dev 12:3162-7. 1998..These studies demonstrate that p27(KIP1) and p57(KIP2) are critical terminal effectors of signal transduction pathways that control cell differentiation...
- Miz1 is required for early embryonic development during gastrulationSovana Adhikary
Institute for Molecular Biology and Tumor Research Institute for Cytobiology and Cytopathology, University of Marburg, 35033 Marburg, Germany
Mol Cell Biol 23:7648-57. 2003..Expression of p21Cip1, a target gene of Miz1 is unaltered; in contrast, expression of p57Kip2, another target gene of Miz1 is absent in ..
- The retinoblastoma gene pathway regulates the postmitotic state of hair cells of the mouse inner earJohanna Mantela
Institute of Biotechnology, University of Helsinki, 00014 Helsinki, Finland
Development 132:2377-88. 2005..In addition to Rb, the cyclin dependent kinase inhibitor (CKI) p21 is expressed in developing hair cells, suggesting that p21 is an upstream effector of pRb activity...
- Cell cycle regulation in the inner ear sensory epithelia: role of cyclin D1 and cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitorsHeidi Laine
Institute of Biotechnology, University of Helsinki, 00014 Helsinki, Finland
Dev Biol 337:134-46. 2010..the spatiotemporal pattern of unscheduled cell cycle re-entry of cochlear hair cells from the p19(Ink4d)/p21(Cip1) compound mutant mice...
- Altered cell differentiation and proliferation in mice lacking p57KIP2 indicates a role in Beckwith-Wiedemann syndromeP Zhang
Verna and Marrs McLean Department of Biochemistry, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Nature 387:151-8. 1997....
- Targeted in vivo expression of the cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitor p21 halts hepatocyte cell-cycle progression, postnatal liver development and regenerationH Wu
Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 27599 USA
Genes Dev 10:245-60. 1996The CDK inhibitor p21 (WAF-1/CIP-1/SDI-1) has been implicated in DNA damage-induced p53-mediated G1 arrest, as well as in physiological processes, such as cell differentiation and senescence, that do not involve p53 function...
- Targeted inactivation of the p21(WAF1/cip1) gene enhances Apc-initiated tumor formation and the tumor-promoting activity of a Western-style high-risk diet by altering cell maturation in the intestinal mucosalW C Yang
Albert Einstein Cancer Center, Bronx, New York 10467, USA
Cancer Res 61:565-9. 2001Elimination of both alleles of the gene that encodes the cyclin kinase inhibitor p21(WAF1/cip1) increases the frequency and size of intestinal tumors in Apc1638+/- mice that inherit a mutant allele of the Apc gene, and intermediate ..
- Tbx2 directly represses the expression of the p21(WAF1) cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitorSharon Prince
Signalling and Development Laboratory, Marie Curie Research Institute, Oxted, Surrey, United Kingdom
Cancer Res 64:1669-74. 2004..The p21(WAF1) cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitor plays a key role in senescence and in cell cycle arrest after DNA damage...
- Cell cycle inhibitors p21 and p16 are required for the regulation of Schwann cell proliferationSuzana Atanasoski
Department of Biology, Institute of Cell Biology, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, ETH Honggerberg, Zurich, Switzerland
Glia 53:147-57. 2006..In the present study, we have investigated the function of the cell cycle inhibitors p21 and p16 as potential regulators of Schwann cell proliferation, using p21- or p16-deficient mice...
- P21cip-overexpression in the mouse beta cells leads to the improved recovery from streptozotocin-induced diabetesJie Yang
The MOE Key Laboratory of Cell Proliferation and Differentiation, College of Life Sciences, Peking University, Beijing, China
PLoS ONE 4:e8344. 2009..the pancreatic beta cell regeneration, which could specifically inhibit beta cell proliferation by overexpressing p21(cip) in beta cells via regulation of the Tet-on system...
- p53-dependent and independent expression of p21 during cell growth, differentiation, and DNA damageK F Macleod
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge 02139, USA
Genes Dev 9:935-44. 1995Expression of p21 has been shown to be up-regulated by the p53 tumor suppressor gene in vitro in response to DNA-damaging agents...
- Role of cyclin kinase inhibitor p21 in systemic autoimmunityM L Santiago-Raber
Department of Immunology, The Scripps Research Institute, 10550 North Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
J Immunol 167:4067-74. 2001The cyclin kinase inhibitor protein p21 affects multiple processes relevant to the immune system, including cell cycle progression, replicative senescence, hemopoietic stem cell quiescence, and apoptosis...
- The cell cycle inhibitory protein p21cip is not essential for maintaining beta-cell cycle arrest or beta-cell function in vivoIrene Cozar-Castellano
Division of Endocrinology, BST E 1140, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, 200 Lothrop St, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Diabetes 55:3271-8. 2006p21(cip1), a regulatory molecule upstream of the G(1/0) checkpoint, is increased in beta-cells in response to mitogenic stimulation...
- Radiation-induced cell cycle arrest compromised by p21 deficiencyJ Brugarolas
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge 02139, USA
Nature 377:552-7. 1995The protein p21 is a dual inhibitor of cyclin-dependent kinases and proliferating-cell nuclear antigen (PCNA), both of which are required for passage through the cell cycle. The p21 gene is under the transcriptional control of p53 (ref...
- p21 is a universal inhibitor of cyclin kinasesY Xiong
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, New York 11724
Nature 366:701-4. 1993..in multiple quaternary complexes, each containing a CDK, cyclin, proliferating cell nuclear antigen and the p21 protein...
- Loss of p27Kip1 function results in increased proliferative capacity of oligodendrocyte progenitors but unaltered timing of differentiationP Casaccia-Bonnefil
Molecular Neurobiology, Skirball Institute for Biomolecular Medicine at NYU Medical Center, New York, NY 10016, USA nyu edu
Development 126:4027-37. 1999....
- Heme oxygenase-1 protects against vascular constriction and proliferationH J Duckers
Vascular Biology Branch, National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
Nat Med 7:693-8. 2001..The unexpected effects of HO-1 on vascular smooth muscle cell growth were mediated by cell-cycle arrest involving p21Cip1. HO-1 reduced the proliferative response to vascular injury in vivo; expression of HO-1 in pig arteries inhibited ..
- The cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitor p21 protects the lung from oxidative stressM A O'Reilly
Departments of Pediatrics Neonatology, School of Medicine and Dentistry, The University of Rochester, Rochester, New York, USA
Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 24:703-10. 2001..induces the tumor suppressor p53 and its downstream target, the cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitor p21(Cip1/WAF1/Sdi1) (p21), their role in pulmonary injury remains unknown...
- Tumor susceptibility of p21(Waf1/Cip1)-deficient miceJ Martin-Caballero
Department of Immunology and Oncology, National Center of Biotechnology Spanish Council for Scientific Research, Campus de Cantoblanco, Madrid E 28049, Spain
Cancer Res 61:6234-8. 2001The cell cycle regulator p21 mediates the ability of the tumor suppressor p53 to arrest cellular proliferation...
- Mutated p21/WAF/CIP transgene overexpression reduces smooth muscle cell proliferation, macrophage deposition, oxidation-sensitive mechanisms, and restenosis in hypercholesterolemic apolipoprotein E knockout miceG Condorelli
Kimmel Cancer Center, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19107, USA
FASEB J 15:2162-70. 2001..Ad-mutated(m)-p21WAF/CIP1 transgene overexpression induces a significant reduction of restenosis in hypercholesterolemic apolipoprotein ..
- Mice lacking the p53-effector gene Gadd45a develop a lupus-like syndromeJesus M Salvador
Gene Response Section, Center for Cancer Research, National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Immunity 16:499-508. 2002This study addresses the biological function of the p53-effector genes Gadd45a and p21 in the immune system...
- p21 is essential for normal myogenic progenitor cell function in regenerating skeletal muscleT J Hawke
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas, 5323 Harry Hines Blvd, Dallas, TX 75390 8573, USA
Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 285:C1019-27. 2003..Although mice lacking the cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitor p21 (p21-/-), develop normally, we report here that p21-/- MPCs display increased cell number and enhanced cell cycle ..
- HBsAg and HBx knocked into the p21 locus causes hepatocellular carcinoma in miceYouliang Wang
Genetic Laboratory of Development and Diseases, Institute of Biotechnology, Beijing, China
Hepatology 39:318-24. 2004..HBsAg and HBx genes were integrated into the mouse p21 locus...
- Cellular senescence induced by p53-ras cooperation is independent of p21waf1 in murine embryo fibroblastsMaria E Castro
Experimental Therapeutics Program, Centro Nacional de Investigaciones Oncologicas CNIO, Melchor Fernandez Almagro, 3, 28029, Madrid Spain
J Cell Biochem 92:514-24. 2004..Introduction of a conditional murine p53 allele (p53val135) into double p53/p21-null mouse embryonic fibroblasts showed that p21waf1 was not required for this effect, since p53-/-;p21-/- double-..
- p21(Cip-1/SDI-1/WAF-1) expression via the mitogen-activated protein kinase signaling pathway in insulin-induced chondrogenic differentiation of ATDC5 cellsMasahiro Nakajima
Department of Physiological Chemistry, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Teikyo University, 1091 1 Suwarashi, Sagamiko, Kanagawa 199 0195, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 320:1069-75. 2004..We have previously clarified that the induction of the cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitor, p21(Cip-1/SDI-1/WAF-1), is essential for chondrogenic differentiation of ATDC5 cells...
- Tbx2 is essential for patterning the atrioventricular canal and for morphogenesis of the outflow tract during heart developmentZachary Harrelson
Department of Genetics and Development, College of Physicians and Surgeons of Columbia University, New York, NY 10032, USA
Development 131:5041-52. 2004..Despite evidence that TBX2 negatively regulates the cell cycle control genes Cdkn2a, Cdkn2b and Cdkn1a in cultured cells, there is no evidence that loss of Tbx2 function during mouse development results in increased ..
- N-acetylation and ubiquitin-independent proteasomal degradation of p21(Cip1)Xueyan Chen
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, Washington 98029, USA
Mol Cell 16:839-47. 2004Expression of the CDK inhibitor p21(Cip1) is tightly regulated by signals that control cell division...
- UV Induces p21 rapid turnover independently of ubiquitin and Skp2Hunjoo Lee
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, Oregon 97239, USA
J Biol Chem 281:26876-83. 2006..not high doses, of UV trigger the Skp2-mediated proteasomal degradation of the cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitor p21 in mammalian cells...
- A cell-cycle independent role for p21 in regulating synovial fibroblast migration in rheumatoid arthritisJames M Woods
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine, Midwestern University, Downers Grove, IL 60515, USA
Arthritis Res Ther 8:R113. 2006..We demonstrated previously that expression of the cell cycle inhibitor p21 is significantly reduced in RA synovial lining, particularly in the FLS...
- Alterations in gene expression in T1 alpha null lung: a model of deficient alveolar sac developmentGuetchyn Millien
Pulmonary Center, Department of Medicine, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, MA, USA
BMC Dev Biol 6:35. 2006..Since little is known about the molecular pathways driving alveolar sacculation, we used expression microarrays to identify genes altered in the abnormal lungs and, by inference, may play roles in normal lung morphogenesis...
- Skin epidermis lacking the c-Myc gene is resistant to Ras-driven tumorigenesis but can reacquire sensitivity upon additional loss of the p21Cip1 geneThordur Oskarsson
Genetics and Stem Cell Laboratory, Swiss Institute for Experimental Cancer Research ISREC Ch des Boveresses 155, Epalinges, Switzerland
Genes Dev 20:2024-9. 2006..This is mechanistically linked to p21(Cip1), which is induced in tumors by the activated Ras-ERK pathway but repressed by c-Myc...
- Cdkn1a deletion improves stem cell function and lifespan of mice with dysfunctional telomeres without accelerating cancer formationAaheli Roy Choudhury
Department of Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Endocrinology, Hannover Medical School, Carl Neuberg Str 1, 30625 Hannover, Germany
Nat Genet 39:99-105. 2007..cells by activation of DNA damage pathways, including upregulation of the cell cycle inhibitor p21 (encoded by Cdkn1a, also known as Cip1 and Waf1)) (refs. 1-5)...
- p19(Ink4d) and p21(Cip1) collaborate to maintain the postmitotic state of auditory hair cells, their codeletion leading to DNA damage and p53-mediated apoptosisHeidi Laine
Institute of Biotechnology, University of Helsinki, 00014 Helsinki, Finland
J Neurosci 27:1434-44. 2007..Here we show the synergistic action of another CKI, p21(Cip1), on cell cycle reactivation...
- shRNA knockdown of Bmi-1 reveals a critical role for p21-Rb pathway in NSC self-renewal during developmentChristopher A Fasano
Center for Neuropharmacology and Neuroscience, Albany Medical College, Albany, NY 12208, USA
Cell Stem Cell 1:87-99. 2007..and adult NSC proliferation and self-renewal that, unexpectedly, are mediated by a different cell-cycle inhibitor, p21. Gene array analyses revealed developmental differences in Bmi-1-controlled expression of genes in the p21-Rb cell ..
- p21Cip1 modulates arterial wound repair through the stromal cell-derived factor-1/CXCR4 axis in miceMichelle Olive
Genome Technology Branch, National Human Genome Research Institute, Bethesda, Maryland 20817, USA
J Clin Invest 118:2050-61. 2008Cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitors, including p21Cip1, are implicated in cell turnover and are active players in cardiovascular wound repair...
- Feedback between p21 and reactive oxygen production is necessary for cell senescenceJoao F Passos
Ageing Research Laboratories, Institute for Ageing and Health, Newcastle University, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Mol Syst Biol 6:347. 2010..The essential feature of the loop is that long-term activation of the checkpoint gene CDKN1A (p21) induces mitochondrial dysfunction and production of reactive oxygen species (ROS) through serial signalling ..
- Lack of p21 expression links cell cycle control and appendage regeneration in miceKhamilia Bedelbaeva
Cellular and Molecular Oncogenesis and Gene Expression, The Wistar Institute, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:5845-50. 2010..mapped and reliable quantitative indicator of regeneration in the MRL mouse, we show that the unrelated Cdkn1a(tmi/Tyj)/J p21(-/-) mouse (unlike the B6129SF2/J WT control) closes ear holes similar to MRL mice, providing a ..
- 53BP1 deficiency combined with telomere dysfunction activates ATR-dependent DNA damage responsePaula Martinez
Telomeres and Telomerase Group, Molecular Oncology Programme, Spanish National Cancer Research Centre, E 28029 Madrid, Spain
J Cell Biol 197:283-300. 2012..In intact mice, combined 53BP1/TRF1 deficiency in stratified epithelia resulted in earlier onset of DNA damage and increased CHK1 phosphorylation during embryonic development, leading to aggravation of skin phenotypes...
- Postmitotic neurons develop a p21-dependent senescence-like phenotype driven by a DNA damage responseDiana Jurk
Institute for Ageing and Health, Newcastle University, Newcastle upon Tyne NE4 5PL, UK
Aging Cell 11:996-1004. 2012..It was fully rescued by loss of p21(CDKN1A) function in late-generation TERC-/-CDKN1A-/- mice, indicating p21 as the necessary signal transducer between DNA ..
- p57KIP2, a structurally distinct member of the p21CIP1 Cdk inhibitor family, is a candidate tumor suppressor geneS Matsuoka
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030 USA
Genes Dev 9:650-62. 1995..We describe a new CKI, p57KIP2, which is related to p21CIP1 and p27KIP1...
- WAF1, a potential mediator of p53 tumor suppressionW S El-Deiry
Oncology Center, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21231
Cell 75:817-25. 1993..Using a subtractive hybridization approach, we identified a gene, named WAF1, whose induction was associated with wild-type but not mutant p53 gene expression in a human brain tumor cell line...
- Cyclin-mediated inhibition of muscle gene expression via a mechanism that is independent of pRB hyperphosphorylationS X Skapek
Department of Biological Chemistry and Molecular Pharmacology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Mol Cell Biol 16:7043-53. 1996....
- The life history of an embryonic signaling center: BMP-4 induces p21 and is associated with apoptosis in the mouse tooth enamel knotJ Jernvall
Institute of Biotechnology, University of Helsinki, Finland
Development 125:161-9. 1998..in the enamel knot in mouse molar teeth is linked with the expression of the cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitor p21. We show that p21 expression is induced by bone morphogenetic protein 4 (BMP-4) in isolated dental epithelia...
- Cip/Kip cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitors: brakes of the cell cycle engine during developmentK Nakayama
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, Kyushu University, Fukuoka, Japan
Bioessays 20:1020-9. 1998..In this review, the biological roles of Cip/Kip CKIs in development and tumor suppression are discussed...
- p21(WAF1/Cip1) functions as a suppressor of malignant skin tumor formation and a determinant of keratinocyte stem-cell potentialG I Topley
Cutaneous Biology Research Center, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, 13th Street, Charlestown, MA 02129, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 96:9089-94. 1999p21(WAF1/Cip1) is one of the best characterized downstream targets of p53, and the growth suppressing function of this cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitor is well established...
- Transcription factor Sp3 is essential for post-natal survival and late tooth developmentP Bouwman
Institut fur Molekularbiologie und Tumorforschung, Emil Mannkopff Strasse 2
EMBO J 19:655-61. 2000..Comparison of the Sp1 and Sp3 knockout phenotype shows that Sp1 and Sp3 have distinct functions in vivo, but also suggests a degree of functional redundancy...
- Cell-cycle inhibitors: three families united by a common causeA Vidal
Laboratory of Cell Cycle Regulation, Molecular Biology Program, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY 10021, USA
Gene 247:1-15. 2000..We will discuss the interrelationships between Cip/Kip inhibitors and the components of the pRb pathway, and how their activities ultimately regulate cell proliferation...
- Fibroblast growth factor inhibits chondrocytic growth through induction of p21 and subsequent inactivation of cyclin E-Cdk2T Aikawa
Endocrine Unit, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
J Biol Chem 276:29347-52. 2001..FGF2 increased p21 expression in RCS cells, which assembled with the cyclin E-Cdk2 complexes, although the expression of neither ..
- UV irradiation triggers ubiquitin-dependent degradation of p21(WAF1) to promote DNA repairMourad Bendjennat
Institut de Biologie Structurale J P Ebel, 41 rue Jules Horowitz, F38027 Grenoble, France
Cell 114:599-610. 2003p53-mediated increase in cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitor p21(WAF1) protein is thought to be the major mediator of cell cycle arrest after DNA damage...
- Integration of Smad and forkhead pathways in the control of neuroepithelial and glioblastoma cell proliferationJoan Seoane
Cancer Biology and Genetics Program and Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, 1275 York Avenue, 1300 York Avenue, New York, NY 1002, USA
Cell 117:211-23. 2004..Smad proteins activated by TGF-beta form a complex with FoxO proteins to turn on the growth inhibitory gene p21Cip1. This process is negatively controlled by the PI3K pathway, a known inhibitor of FoxO localization in the nucleus,..
- Mammalian cells cycle without the D-type cyclin-dependent kinases Cdk4 and Cdk6Marcos Malumbres
Molecular Oncology Program, Centro Nacional de Investigaciones Oncologicas CNIO, E 28029 Madrid, Spain
Cell 118:493-504. 2004..These results indicate that D-type cyclin-dependent kinases are not essential for cell cycle entry and suggest the existence of alternative mechanisms to initiate cell proliferation upon mitogenic stimulation...
- p21 loss compromises the relative quiescence of forebrain stem cell proliferation leading to exhaustion of their proliferation capacityTod E Kippin
Neurobiology Research Group, Department of Medical Genetics and Microbiology, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario M5S 1A8, Canada
Genes Dev 19:756-67. 2005Adult stem cells in various tissues are relatively quiescent. The cell cycle inhibitor p21cip1/waf1 (p21) has been shown to be important for maintaining hematopoietic stem cell quiescence and self-renewal...
- Evaluation of beta-cell replication in mice transgenic for hepatocyte growth factor and placental lactogen: comprehensive characterization of the G1/S regulatory proteins reveals unique involvement of p21cipIrene Cozar-Castellano
Division of Endocrinology, BST E 1140, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, 200 Lothrop Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Diabetes 55:70-7. 2006..checkpoint regulators (E2Fs; pRb; p107; p130; cyclins D(1),(2),(3), A, and E; cdk-2; cdk-4; p15; p16; p18; p19; p21; p27; MDM2; p53; c-Myc; and Egr-1) are present in the murine islet...
- p53 and p21 regulate error-prone DNA repair to yield a lower mutation loadSharon Avkin
Department of Biological Chemistry, Weizmann Institute of Science, Rehovot 76100, Israel
Mol Cell 22:407-13. 2006..We found that in mammalian cells TLS is controlled by the tumor suppressor p53, and by the cell cycle inhibitor p21 via its PCNA-interacting domain, to maintain a low mutagenic load at the price of reduced repair efficiency...
- p57 and Hes1 coordinate cell cycle exit with self-renewal of pancreatic progenitorsSenta Georgia
Larry Hillblom Islet Research Center, David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Dev Biol 298:22-31. 2006....
- Angiotensin II induces premature senescence of vascular smooth muscle cells and accelerates the development of atherosclerosis via a p21-dependent pathwayTakeshige Kunieda
Department of Cardiovascular Science and Medicine, Chiba University Graduate School of Medicine, 1 8 1 Inohana, Chuo Ku, Chiba 260 8670, Japan
Circulation 114:953-60. 2006..We have previously demonstrated that vascular cell senescence contributes to the pathogenesis of atherosclerosis; however, the effects of Ang II on vascular cell senescence have not been examined...
- Ribosomal protein S6 gene haploinsufficiency is associated with activation of a p53-dependent checkpoint during gastrulationLinda Panic
Department of Molecular Medicine and Biotechnology, School of Medicine, University of Rijeka, Brace Branchetta 20, 51000, Rijeka, Croatia
Mol Cell Biol 26:8880-91. 2006..Thus, a p53-dependent checkpoint is activated during gastrulation in response to ribosome insufficiency to prevent improper execution of the developmental program...
- Phosphorylation-dependent ubiquitination of cyclin D1 by the SCF(FBX4-alphaB crystallin) complexDouglas I Lin
The Leonard and Madlyn Abramson Family Cancer Research Institute and Cancer Center, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
Mol Cell 24:355-66. 2006..We conclude that SCF(FBX4-alphaB crystallin) is an E3 ubiquitin ligase that promotes ubiquitin-dependent degradation of Thr286-phosphorylated cyclin D1...
- APC/C(Cdc20) controls the ubiquitin-mediated degradation of p21 in prometaphaseVirginia Amador
Department of Pathology, NYU Cancer Institute, New York University School of Medicine, 550 First Avenue MSB 599, New York, NY 10016, USA
Mol Cell 27:462-73. 2007During the G1/S transition, p21 proteolysis is mediated by Skp2; however, p21 reaccumulates in G2 and is degraded again in prometaphase. How p21 degradation is controlled in mitosis remains unexplored...
- Nuclear FAK promotes cell proliferation and survival through FERM-enhanced p53 degradationSsang Taek Lim
Department of Reproductive Medicine, Moores Cancer Center, University of California, San Diego, 3855 Health Sciences Drive, MC0803, La Jolla, CA 92093, USA
Mol Cell 29:9-22. 2008..Here we show that, during mouse development, FAK inactivation results in p53- and p21-dependent mesodermal cell growth arrest...
- Disruption of p21 attenuates lung inflammation induced by cigarette smoke, LPS, and fMLP in miceHongwei Yao
Lung Biology and Disease Program, Department of Environmental Medicine, University of Rochester Medical Center, 601 Elmwood Ave, Box 850, Rochester, NY 14642, USA
Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 39:7-18. 2008The cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitor p21(CIP1/WAF1/SDI1) (p21) is an important inhibitory checkpoint regulator of cell cycle progression in response to oxidative and genotoxic stresses...
- Prox1 interacts with Atoh1 and Gfi1, and regulates cellular differentiation in the inner ear sensory epitheliaAnna Kirjavainen
Institute of Biotechnology, University of Helsinki, 00014 Helsinki, Finland
Dev Biol 322:33-45. 2008..The data point to the tight regulation of phenotypic characteristics of hair cells and supporting cells...
- Transmission distortion by loss of p21 or p27 cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitors following competitive spermatogonial transplantationMito Kanatsu-Shinohara
Department of Molecular Genetics, Graduate School of Medicine, Kyoto University, Kyoto 606 8501, Japan
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:6210-5. 2010..Here we developed a novel transplantation assay for SSCs and demonstrate that p21 and p27 cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitors play critical roles in SSC self-renewal and differentiation...
- Replication of minute virus of mice in murine cells is facilitated by virally induced depletion of p21Richard O Adeyemi
Department of Molecular Microbiology and Immunology, University of Missouri Columbia, School of Medicine, Columbia, Missouri, USA
J Virol 86:8328-32. 2012The DNA damage response to infection with minute virus of mice (MVM) leads to activated p53; however, p21 levels are reduced via a proteasome-mediated mechanism...
- p21 promotes error-free replication-coupled DNA double-strand break repairMaurizio Mauro
Department of Cell and Molecular Biology, University of Rhode Island, Kingston, RI 02881, USA
Nucleic Acids Res 40:8348-60. 2012b>p21 is a well-established regulator of cell cycle progression. The role of p21 in DNA repair, however, remains poorly characterized...
- Hepatitis B virus X induces cell proliferation in the hepatocarcinogenesis via up-regulation of cytoplasmic p21 expressionMasahiko Yano
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Graduate School of Medical and Dental Sciences Niigata University, Niigata, Japan
Liver Int 33:1218-29. 2013..Cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitor p21 (Cip1/WAF1), known as a tumour-suppressor gene, has been reported to have paradoxical function, that is, acting as an oncogene,..
- Topological control of p21WAF1/CIP1 expression in normal and neoplastic tissuesW S El-Deiry
Oncology Center, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21231, USA
Cancer Res 55:2910-9. 1995The p53-regulated gene product p21WAF1/CIP1 is the prototype of a family of small proteins that negatively regulate the cell cycle...
- Cytoplasmic p21(Cip1/WAF1) regulates neurite remodeling by inhibiting Rho-kinase activityHiroyuki Tanaka
Department of Anatomy and Neuroscience, Graduate School of Medicine, Osaka University, 2 2 Yamadaoka, Suita, Osaka 565 0871, Japan
J Cell Biol 158:321-9. 2002p21(Cip1/WAF1) has cell cycle inhibitory activity by binding to and inhibiting both cyclin/Cdk kinases and proliferating cell nuclear antigen...
- p21Cip1 nullizygosity increases tumor metastasis in irradiated miceRosalind J Jackson
Molecular Oncology Program, H Lee Moffitt Cancer Center and Research Institute, and Department of Interdisciplinary Oncology, University of South Florida College of Medicine, Tampa, Florida 33612, USA
Cancer Res 63:3021-5. 2003p21(Cip1) is a cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitor whose abundance increases in cells exposed to radiation or other DNA-damaging agents. Such increases activate a G1 checkpoint, which allows time for DNA repair before S phase entry...
- A Limited role for p21Cip1/Waf1 in maintaining normal hematopoietic stem cell functioningRonald van Os
Department of Cell Biology, Section Stem Cell Biology, University Medical Center Groningen, A Deusinglaan 1, 9713 AV Groningen, Groningen, The Netherlands
Stem Cells 25:836-43. 2007Several studies have suggested that the cyclin-dependent kinase (CDK) inhibitor p21 plays a crucial role in regulating hematopoietic stem and progenitor pool size...
- Pivotal role of the cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitor p21WAF1/CIP1 in apoptosis and autophagyKeishi Fujiwara
Department of Neurosurgery, University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, 1515 Holcombe Boulevard, Houston, TX 77030, USA
J Biol Chem 283:388-97. 2008..The purpose of this study was to show whether the presence of the cyclin-dependent kinase (CDK) inhibitor p21(WAF1/CIP1), a modulator of apoptosis, determines which type of PCD the cell undergoes...
- Post-transcriptional destabilization of p21cip1 by protein kinase C in fibroblastsJanice L Walker
Department of Pharmacology, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, 3620 Hamilton Walk, Philadelphia, PA 19104 6084, USA
J Biol Chem 281:38127-32. 2006p21(cip1) inhibits S phase entry by binding to cyclin-cdk2 (cyclin-dependent kinase-2) complexes...
- p53 prevents entry into mitosis with uncapped telomeresMaria Thanasoula
Telomere and Genome Stability Group, The CR UK MRC Gray Institute for Radiation Oncology and Biology, Old Road Campus, Oxford OX37DQ, UK
Curr Biol 20:521-6. 2010..Here, we report that telomere capping is monitored at the G2/M transition by the p53/p21 damage response pathway...
- IL-6 and matrix metalloproteinase-1 are regulated by the cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitor p21 in synovial fibroblastsHarris Perlman
Division of Rheumatology, Northwestern University, Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
J Immunol 170:838-45. 2003..Here, we demonstrate a 50 +/- 10% decrease in the expression of p21, a cell cycle inhibitor, in the synovial fibroblast population from RA compared with osteoarthritis (OA) synovial ..
- p27kip1 independently promotes neuronal differentiation and migration in the cerebral cortexLaurent Nguyen
Division of Molecular Neurobiology, National Institute for Medical Research, The Ridgeway, Mill Hill, London NW7 1AA, United Kingdom
Genes Dev 20:1511-24. 2006..Thus, p27(Kip1) plays a key role in cortical development, acting as a modular protein that independently regulates and couples multiple cellular pathways contributing to neurogenesis...
- Adenovirus E1A-regulated transcription factor p120E4F inhibits cell growth and induces the stabilization of the cdk inhibitor p21WAF1E R Fernandes
Department of Biochemistry, St Jude Children s Research Hospital, Memphis, Tennessee 38105, USA
Mol Cell Biol 18:459-67. 1998..These data suggest an important role for p120E4F in normal cell division and demonstrate that p21WAF1 can be regulated by protein turnover...
- Growth arrest failure, G1 restriction point override, and S phase death of sensory precursor cells in the absence of neurotrophin-3W M ElShamy
Department of Medical Biochemistry and Biophysics, Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden
Neuron 21:1003-15. 1998..Our results provide evidence for novel activity of neurotrophins in cell cycle control and point toward an N-myc sensitization to cell death in the nervous system that is under the control of NT-3...
- p21(WAF1/cip1) is an important determinant of intestinal cell response to sulindac in vitro and in vivoW Yang
Department of Oncology, Albert Einstein Cancer Center, Bronx, New York 10467, USA
Cancer Res 61:6297-302. 2001..Among these changes was induction of the cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitor, p21(WAF1/cip1)...
- Inhibition of protein synthesis by the nonstructural proteins NS4A and NS4B of hepatitis C virusRuth H Florese
Department of Microbiology, Kobe University Graduate School of Medicine, 7 5 1 Kusunoki cho, Chuo Ku, Kobe 650 0017, Japan
Virus Res 90:119-31. 2002..The core protein, the nonstructural protein 4A (NS4A) and NS4B, but not NS3, NS5A or NS5B, inhibited p21/Waf1 expression post-transcriptionally...
- T-cadherin-mediated cell growth regulation involves G2 phase arrest and requires p21(CIP1/WAF1) expressionZhi Yong Huang
Department of Neurology, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
Mol Cell Biol 23:566-78. 2003..T-cadherin-expressing C6 cell lines exhibited increased p21(CIP1/WAF1), but not p27(Kip1), expression...
- Mouse development and cell proliferation in the absence of D-cyclinsKatarzyna Kozar
Department of Cancer Biology, Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Cell 118:477-91. 2004..Lastly, we found that cells lacking D-cyclins display reduced susceptibility to the oncogenic transformation. Our results reveal the presence of alternative mechanisms that allow cell cycle progression in a cyclin D-independent fashion...
- p21Cip1 and p27Kip1 act in synergy to alter the sensitivity of naive T cells to TGF-beta-mediated G1 arrest through modulation of IL-2 responsivenessLawrence A Wolfraim
Laboratory of Cell Regulation and Carcinogenesis, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
J Immunol 173:3093-102. 2004Induction of G(1) arrest by TGF-beta correlates with the regulation of p21(Cip1) and p27(Kip1), members of the Cip/Kip family of cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitors (cki)...
- Foxp1 regulates cardiac outflow tract, endocardial cushion morphogenesis and myocyte proliferation and maturationBin Wang
Department of Molecular Genetics and The Institute for Cellular and Molecular Biology, University of Texas at Austin, Austin, TX 78712, USA
Development 131:4477-87. 2004....
- p21(Cip1/WAF1/Sdi1) does not affect expression of base excision DNA repair enzymes during chronic oxidative stressMICHAEL A O'REILLY
Department of Pediatrics, School of Medicine and Dentistry, University of Rochester, Rochester, NY 14642, USA
Antioxid Redox Signal 7:719-25. 2005..damages DNA and inhibits cell proliferation in G(1) through induction of the cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitor p21. Cells that fail to express p21 growth-arrest in S phase...
- The effect of neurogenin3 deficiency on pancreatic gene expression in embryonic miceAndreas Petri
Department of Molecular Genetics, Novo Nordisk A S, DK 2880 Bagsvaerd, Denmark
J Mol Endocrinol 37:301-16. 2006..These data suggest that Irx1 and Irx2 serve an evolutionary conserved role in the regulation of alpha-cell-specific gene expression...
- The anaphase-promoting complex coordinates initiation of lens differentiationGeorge Wu
University of Pittsburgh Cancer Institute, Pittsburgh, PA 15312, USA
Mol Biol Cell 18:1018-29. 2007..Cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitors (CKIs), such as p15 and p21, have been suggested to be critical components that inhibit G1 progression and therefore, their activation is ..
- p21CIP1/WAF1 controls proliferation of activated/memory T cells and affects homeostasis and memory T cell responsesCristina F Arias
Department of Immunology and Oncology, Centro Nacional de Biotecnología Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Científicas, Campus de Cantoblanco, Madrid, Spain
J Immunol 178:2296-306. 2007Development of autoantibodies and lupus-like autoimmunity by 129/Sv x C57BL/6 p21(-/-) mice has established that cell cycle deregulation is one the defective pathways leading to break of tolerance...
- Msx1 and Msx2 regulate survival of secondary heart field precursors and post-migratory proliferation of cardiac neural crest in the outflow tractYi Hui Chen
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Norris Comprehensive Cancer Center and Hospital, University of Southern California Keck School of Medicine, 1441 Eastlake Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90033, USA
Dev Biol 308:421-37. 2007....
- Role of fractalkine signaling in rheumatoid arthritisJames Woods; Fiscal Year: 2004..These experiments should provide extensive new insights about the mechanism of fkn signaling through CX3CR1 and its relationship to cellular function. ..
- TRANSFORMING GROWTH FACTOR BETA IN OXIDANT LUNG INJURYMICHAEL O REILLY; Fiscal Year: 2002..These studies are significant because understanding how ROS injure and kill pulmonary epithelial cells is critically important for improving clinical therapies that rely on supplemental oxygen. ..
- P21 transcriptional inhibitors as proapoptotic compoundsAndrei Gartel; Fiscal Year: 2003..The cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitor p21 (Wafl/Cipl) is induced at the transcriptional level both by signaling pathways that participate in the development ..
- COORDINATE REGULATION OF APOPTOSIS AND CELL CYCLE IN RAHarris Perlman; Fiscal Year: 2004..This approach could lead to the development of a new therapeutic strategy for gene therapy in patients with rheumatoid arthritis. ..
- The role BH3 and multi BH domain genes in regulating monocyte survival and functiHarris Perlman; Fiscal Year: 2008..Further our goal is to characterize mice lacking Bim or it signaling partners only in monocytes and macrophages. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- TGF-BETA AND IMMUNOSUPPRESSION IN ORGAN TRANSPLANTATIONAshwani Khanna; Fiscal Year: 2002..of immunosuppressive drugs, and TGF-B has been reported to induce the expression of one cell cycle inhibitor, p21. The investigators' that this phenomenon may be TGF-B- independent...
- C/EBP alpha in Aging LiverNikolai Timchenko; Fiscal Year: 2009..Based on data obtained in this project, we are planning to start developing a strategy to correct liver proliferation in elderly. ..
- Cyclin D1 and mammary carcinomaJ Diehl; Fiscal Year: 2009..The work proposed herein will establish the relationship between cyclin D1 nuclear retention and the function of cyclin D1 as an oncogenic protein in mammary carcinoma. ..
- 7th International Podocyte ConferenceStuart Shankland; Fiscal Year: 2008..In summary, the only hope for our patients is by focused and concerted efforts such as the 7th International Podocyte Conference which will ultimately enhance their overall care. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- CELL CYCLE CONTROL IN GLOMERULAR DISEASEStuart Shankland; Fiscal Year: 2007..We will test the hypothesis that p53 and the CDK-inhibitor p21 mediate the anti-proliferative effects of DNA damage on podocytes, utilizing cultured podocytes derived from p53 ..
- 6th International Podocyte ConferenceStuart Shankland; Fiscal Year: 2006..Moreover, this is an exciting era in podocytes biology given the large body of literature that has been published in the past 2-5 years. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- The Role of Cyclin A in Cardiac DevelopmentHINA CHAUDHRY; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- MECHANISMS OF PODOCYTE INJURYStuart Shankland; Fiscal Year: 2005..We will test the hypothesis that stretch increases the levels of CDK-inhibitors (p21, p27, p57), thereby inhibiting proliferation, and inducing hypertrophy. Specific null podo be used for study...
- 5TH INTERNATIONAL PODOCYTE CONFERENCEStuart Shankland; Fiscal Year: 2004..3. To facilitate cross-talk between clinicians and scientists with the ultimate goal of improving prognosis, treatment and care of patients with glomerular disease. ..
- FUNCTIONAL STUDIES OF IMMUNOGLOBULIN KAPPA ENHANCERSYang Xu; Fiscal Year: 2004..We will again employ genetic approaches to further explore the functions of MiEkappa in somatic hypermutations of Igkappa in a physiological context. ..
- Mechanisms of pathogenesis in ataxia-telanglectasiaYang Xu; Fiscal Year: 2006..In addition, I propose to investigate the functional interactions between NBS1 and H2AX, the two mediators of ATM functions. ..
- Sex Differences and Incubation of Cocaine CravingTOD KIPPIN; Fiscal Year: 2005..These initial experiments will form the bases of subsequent studies examining the organizational and activational effects of gonadal hormones and the neuroendocrine bases of sex differences in time-dependent neuroadaptations. ..
- Regulation of Nanog in DNA damage response, development and tumorigenesisYang Xu; Fiscal Year: 2010..In addition, these studies will shed light on mechanism that maintains genetic stability in human ESCs, which have a great potential for future human cell/tissue replacement therapy. ..