Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: CB1
Description: cannabinoid receptor 1 (brain)
Alias: CB-R, CB1, CB1R, cannabinoid receptor 1, brain-type cannabinoid receptor, striatal cannabinoid receptor type 1 protein
Publications167 found, 100 shown here
- The preimplantation mouse embryo is a target for cannabinoid ligand-receptor signalingB C Paria
Department of Physiology, Ralph L Smith Research Center, University of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas City 66160 7338, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 92:9460-4. 1995Using a reverse transcription-coupled PCR, we demonstrated that both brain and spleen type cannabinoid receptor (CB1-R and CB2-R, respectively) mRNAs are expressed in the preimplantation mouse embryo...
- The endogenous cannabinoid system affects energy balance via central orexigenic drive and peripheral lipogenesisDaniela Cota
Clinical Neuroendocrinology Group, Max Planck Institute of Psychiatry, Munich, Germany
J Clin Invest 112:423-31. 2003The cannabinoid receptor type 1 (CB1) and its endogenous ligands, the endocannabinoids, are involved in the regulation of food intake. Here we show that the lack of CB1 in mice with a disrupted CB1 gene causes hypophagia and leanness...
- The endocannabinoid system controls key epileptogenic circuits in the hippocampusKrisztina Monory
Department of Physiological Chemistry, Johannes Gutenberg University, Duesbergweg 6, 55099 Mainz, Germany
Neuron 51:455-66. 2006..Functional CB1 cannabinoid receptors are present on glutamatergic terminals of the hippocampal formation, colocalizing with ..
- Requirement of cannabinoid CB(1) receptors in cortical pyramidal neurons for appropriate development of corticothalamic and thalamocortical projectionsChia Shan Wu
Department of Pediatrics, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX, USA
Eur J Neurosci 32:693-706. 2010..These findings are important in understanding the long-term consequences of alterations in CB(1)R activity during development, a potential etiology for the mental health disorders linked to prenatal cannabis use...
- Cannabinoid 1 receptor activation contributes to vascular inflammation and cell death in a mouse model of diabetic retinopathy and a human retinal cell lineA B El-Remessy
Program in Clinical and Experimental Therapeutics, College of Pharmacy, University of Georgia, Augusta, GA, USA
Diabetologia 54:1567-78. 2011....
- Hardwiring the brain: endocannabinoids shape neuronal connectivityPaul Berghuis
Division of Molecular Neurobiology, Department of Medical Biochemistry and Biophysics, Karolinska Institutet, S 17177 Stockholm, Sweden
Science 316:1212-6. 2007....
- Immunohistochemical localization of cannabinoid type 1 and vanilloid transient receptor potential vanilloid type 1 receptors in the mouse brainL Cristino
Endocannabinoid Research Group, Institute of Biomolecular Chemistry, Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche, Pozzuoli, Napoli, Italy
Neuroscience 139:1405-15. 2006..These data support the hypothesis of a functional relationship between the two receptor types in the CNS...
- Leptin-regulated endocannabinoids are involved in maintaining food intakeV Di Marzo
Endocannabinoid Research Group, Istituto per la Chimica di Molecole di Interesse Biologico, CNR, 80072, Arco Felice, Naples, Italy
Nature 410:822-5. 2001..However, alternative orexigenic pathways maintain food intake in mice deficient in neuropeptide Y. CB1 cannabinoid receptors and the endocannabinoids anandamide and 2-arachidonoyl glycerol are present in the ..
- The CB1 cannabinoid receptor mediates excitotoxicity-induced neural progenitor proliferation and neurogenesisTania Aguado
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology I, School of Biology, and Centro de Investigación Biomédica en Red sobre Enfermedades Neurodegenerativas CIBERNED, Complutense University, 28040 Madrid, Spain
J Biol Chem 282:23892-8. 2007..cell engagement upon excitotoxicity induced by kainic acid administration and the putative involvement of the CB1 cannabinoid receptor in this process...
- Identification of the cannabinoid receptor type 1 in serotonergic cells of raphe nuclei in miceM Haring
Department of Physiological Chemistry, Johannes Gutenberg University, Duesbergweg 6, 55099 Mainz, Germany
Neuroscience 146:1212-9. 2007..the ECS and the serotonergic system, there are no results showing clear evidence for type 1 cannabinoid receptor (CB1) location on serotonergic neurons...
- Genetic dissection of behavioural and autonomic effects of Delta(9)-tetrahydrocannabinol in miceKrisztina Monory
Department of Physiological Chemistry, Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz, Mainz, Germany
PLoS Biol 5:e269. 2007..THC) exert a plethora of psychoactive effects through the activation of the neuronal cannabinoid receptor type 1 (CB1), which is expressed by different neuronal subpopulations in the central nervous system...
- Bidirectional regulation of novelty-induced behavioral inhibition by the endocannabinoid systemPauline Lafenetre
INSERM U862 NeuroCentre Magendie Université de Bordeaux, Equipe 8 Endocannabinoids and Neuroadaptation, 146 rue Leo Saignat, 33077 Bordeaux, France
Neuropharmacology 57:715-21. 2009..These data show a tightly regulated influence of the ECS on impulsive behaviors and suggest the involvement of endocannabinoid signaling in the pathophysiological modulation of ADHD and related disorders...
- Transcriptional regulation of cannabinoid receptor-1 expression in the liver by retinoic acid acting via retinoic acid receptor-gammaBani Mukhopadhyay
Laboratory of Physiologic Studies, National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 9413, USA
J Biol Chem 285:19002-11. 2010..We conclude that RARgamma regulates CB(1)R expression and is thus involved in the control of hepatic fat metabolism by endocannabinoids...
- Characterization of cannabinoid-1 receptors in the locus coeruleus: relationship with mu-opioid receptorsJILLIAN L SCAVONE
Department of Neurosurgery, Farber Institute for Neurosciences, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, PA 19107, USA
Brain Res 1312:18-31. 2010..The present study investigated the anatomical distribution of cannabinoid-1 receptor (CB1r) in the LC and its association with mu-opioid receptor (MOR)...
- Activation through cannabinoid receptors 1 and 2 on dendritic cells triggers NF-kappaB-dependent apoptosis: novel role for endogenous and exogenous cannabinoids in immunoregulationYoonkyung Do
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Medical College of Virginia, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA 23298, USA
J Immunol 173:2373-82. 2004..DCs expressed CB1 and CB2 receptors and the engagement of both receptors was necessary to trigger apoptosis...
- Cannabinoid receptor type 1 protects against age-related osteoporosis by regulating osteoblast and adipocyte differentiation in marrow stromal cellsAymen I Idris
Rheumatic Diseases Unit, Molecular Medicine Centre, Institute of Genetics and Molecular Medicine, University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, UK
Cell Metab 10:139-47. 2009..Here, we report that the type 1 cannabinoid receptor (CB1) regulates this process...
- Conditional cannabinoid receptor type 1 mutants reveal neuron subpopulation-specific effects on behavioral and neuroendocrine stress responsesMichel A Steiner
Max Planck Institute of Psychiatry, Kraepelinstrasse 2 10, 80804 Munich, Germany
Psychoneuroendocrinology 33:1165-70. 2008The complete genetic loss or pharmacological blockade of cannabinoid receptor type 1 (CB1) in mice results in both altered behavioral performance and increased stress hormone secretion in response to stressful encounters such as forced ..
- Regulatory role of cannabinoid receptor 1 in stress-induced excitotoxicity and neuroinflammationSilvia Zoppi
Department of Pharmacology, Faculty of Medicine, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Madrid, Spain
Neuropsychopharmacology 36:805-18. 2011..To elucidate the possible regulatory role of cannabinoid receptor 1 (CB1) in stress-induced excitotoxicity and neuroinflammation, both genetic and pharmacological approaches ..
- Cannabinoid CB1 receptor mediates fear extinction via habituation-like processesKornelia Kamprath
Neuronal Plasticity Mouse Behavior Group, Max Planck Institute of Psychiatry, D 80804 Munich, Germany
J Neurosci 26:6677-86. 2006..Here, we demonstrate that the cannabinoid CB1 receptor, which is crucially involved in fear extinction, is dispensable for associative safety learning...
- Induction of Krox-24 by endogenous cannabinoid type 1 receptors in Neuro2A cells is mediated by the MEK-ERK MAPK pathway and is suppressed by the phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase pathwayE Scott Graham
Department of Pharmacology, University of Auckland, Private Bag 92019, Auckland, New Zealand
J Biol Chem 281:29085-95. 2006Neuro2a cells endogenously express cannabinoid type 1 (CB1) receptors. CB1 stimulation with HU210 activated ERK and induced the transcription factor Krox-24...
- Design logic of a cannabinoid receptor signaling network that triggers neurite outgrowthKenneth D Bromberg
Department of Pharmacology and Systems Therapeutics, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY 10029, USA
Science 320:903-9. 2008b>Cannabinoid receptor 1 (CB1R) regulates neuronal differentiation...
- The cannabinoid 1-receptor silent antagonist O-2050 attenuates preference for high-fat diet and activated astrocytes in miceSei Higuchi
Department of Neuropharmacology, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Fukuoka University, Fukuoka, Japan
J Pharmacol Sci 112:369-72. 2010..These results suggested that HFD intake led to the development of a preference for HFD via astrocytic CB(1) receptors in the hypothalamus...
- Deletion of cannabinoid receptors 1 and 2 exacerbates APC function to increase inflammation and cellular immunity during influenza infectionPeer W F Karmaus
Cell and Molecular Biology Program, Center for Integrative Toxicology, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI 48824, USA
J Leukoc Biol 90:983-95. 2011..Collectively, these findings implicate a role for CB(1) and CB(2) on APCs in regulating immune responses and immune homeostasis...
- Cannabinoid receptor 1 regulates ERK and GSK-3β-dependent glucocorticoid inhibition of osteoblast differentiation in murine MC3T3-E1 cellsRe Wen Wu
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Koahsiung Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
Bone 49:1255-63. 2011..Neuroendocrine component type 1 cannabinoid receptor (CB1) is found to regulate bone mass...
- PAX3-FOXO1 induces cannabinoid receptor 1 to enhance cell invasion and metastasisAmy D Marshall
Department of Genetics, St Jude Children s Research Hospital, Memphis, Tennessee 38105, USA
Cancer Res 71:7471-80. 2011..Here, we show that upregulation of the cannabinoid receptor 1 (Cnr1/Cb1) by PAX3-FOXO1 in mouse primary myoblasts and ARMS cell lines, contributes to PAX3-FOXO1 ..
- Cannabinoid receptor type 1 protects nigrostriatal dopaminergic neurons against MPTP neurotoxicity by inhibiting microglial activationYoung C Chung
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, School of Medicine, Kyung Hee University, Seoul 130 701, Korea
J Immunol 187:6508-17. 2011..Our results collectively suggest that the cannabinoid system is beneficial for the treatment of Parkinson's disease and other disorders associated with neuroinflammation and microglia-derived oxidative damage...
- Cannabinoid 1 receptor promotes cardiac dysfunction, oxidative stress, inflammation, and fibrosis in diabetic cardiomyopathyMohanraj Rajesh
Laboratory of Physiological Studies, National Institutes of Health, National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
Diabetes 61:716-27. 2012..Conversely, CB(1) receptor inhibition may be beneficial in the treatment of diabetic cardiovascular complications...
- Peripheral cannabinoid-1 receptor inverse agonism reduces obesity by reversing leptin resistanceJoseph Tam
Laboratory of Physiologic Studies, National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Cell Metab 16:167-79. 2012..Thus, inverse agonism at peripheral CB(1)R not only improves cardiometabolic risk in obesity but has antiobesity effects by reversing leptin resistance...
- Downregulation of cannabinoid receptor 1 from neuropeptide Y interneurons in the basal ganglia of patients with Huntington's disease and mouse modelsEric A Horne
Department of Pharmacology, University of Washington, 1959 N E Pacific St, Seattle, WA 98195 7280, USA
Eur J Neurosci 37:429-40. 2013b>Cannabinoid receptor 1 (CB(1) receptor) controls several neuronal functions, including neurotransmitter release, synaptic plasticity, gene expression and neuronal viability...
- Type-1 (CB1) cannabinoid receptor promotes neuronal differentiation and maturation of neural stem cellsClaudia Compagnucci
Department of Biomedicine and Prevention, Section of Anatomy, University of Rome Tor Vergata, Rome, Italy
PLoS ONE 8:e54271. 2013..These results highlight the role of CB(1) in the regulation of NSC fate and suggest that its activation may represent a pro-neuronal differentiation signal...
- Expression of type-1 cannabinoid receptor during rat postnatal testicular development: possible involvement in adult leydig cell differentiationGiovanna Cacciola
Dipartimento di Medicina Sperimentale, Seconda Universita degli Studi di Napoli, 80138 Napoli, Italy
Biol Reprod 79:758-65. 2008..Taken together, these results demonstrate the first clear evidence (to our knowledge) of CNR1 in mammalian germinal epithelium, ALCs, and Sertoli cells and indicate that differentiation of ALCs may depend on the endocannabinoid system...
- Hyperactivation of anandamide synthesis and regulation of cell-cycle progression via cannabinoid type 1 (CB1) receptors in the regenerating liverBani Mukhopadhyay
Laboratory of Physiological Studies, National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 108:6323-8. 2011..We conclude that activation of hepatic CB(1)R by newly synthesized anandamide promotes liver regeneration by controlling the expression of cell-cycle regulators that drive M phase progression...
- Neuronal and glial localization of the cannabinoid-1 receptor in the superficial spinal dorsal horn of the rodent spinal cordZoltán Hegyi
Department of Anatomy, Histology and Embryology, Faculty of Medicine, Medical and Health Science Center, University of Debrecen, Debrecen, Hungary
Eur J Neurosci 30:251-62. 2009..The findings suggest that the activity-dependent release of endogenous cannabinoids activates a complex signaling mechanism in pain processing spinal neural circuits into which both neurons and glial cells may contribute...
- Synaptic activation of kainate receptors gates presynaptic CB(1) signaling at GABAergic synapsesJoana Lourenço
INSERM U862 NeuroCentre Magendie, Endocannabinoids and Neuroadaptation, Bordeaux, France
Nat Neurosci 13:197-204. 2010..Thus, activation of kainate receptors by synaptically released glutamate gates presynaptic CB(1) signaling, which in turn controls the direction of short-term heterosynaptic plasticity...
- Chronic constriction injury reduces cannabinoid receptor 1 activity in the rostral anterior cingulate cortex of miceMichelle R Hoot
Virginia Commonwealth University, Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Richmond, VA, USA
Brain Res 1339:18-25. 2010..These data are the first to show alterations in cannabinoid receptor function in the rostral anterior cingulate cortex in response to a model of neuropathic pain...
- Involvement of CB1 cannabinoid receptors in emotional behaviourMiquel Martin
Laboratori de Neurofarmacologia, Facultat de Ciencies de la Salut i de la Vida, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, c Doctor Aiguader 80, 08003 Barcelona, Spain
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 159:379-87. 2002Endogenous and exogenous cannabinoids acting through the CB1 cannabinoid receptors are implicated in the control of a variety of behavioural and neuroendocrine functions, including emotional responses, and learning and memory processes...
- Cannabinoid type 1 receptor blockade promotes mitochondrial biogenesis through endothelial nitric oxide synthase expression in white adipocytesLaura Tedesco
Integrated Laboratories Network, Center for Study and Research on Obesity, Department of Pharmacology, Chemotherapy and Medical Toxicology, School of Medicine, Milan University, Milan, Italy
Diabetes 57:2028-36. 2008Cannabinoid type 1 (CB1) receptor blockade decreases body weight and adiposity in obese subjects; however, the underlying mechanism is not yet fully understood...
- Steroidogenic factor 1 regulates expression of the cannabinoid receptor 1 in the ventromedial hypothalamic nucleusKi Woo Kim
Department of Internal Medicine, UT Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas 75390 8857, USA
Mol Endocrinol 22:1950-61. 2008..Here, we demonstrate that SF-1 colocalizes in VMH neurons with the cannabinoid receptor 1 (CB1R) and that a specific CB1R agonist modulates electrical activity of SF-1 neurons in hypothalamic ..
- CB1 receptor inhibition leads to decreased vascular AT1 receptor expression, inhibition of oxidative stress and improved endothelial functionVedat Tiyerili
Medizinische Klinik und Poliklinik II, Universitatsklinikum Bonn, Sigmund Freud Strasse 25, Bonn, Germany
Basic Res Cardiol 105:465-77. 2010..This antioxidative effect is associated with improved endothelial function in ApoE-/- mice, indicating beneficial direct vascular effects of CB(1)-R inhibition...
- Endocannabinoid activation at hepatic CB1 receptors stimulates fatty acid synthesis and contributes to diet-induced obesityDouglas Osei-Hyiaman
National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, NIH, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
J Clin Invest 115:1298-305. 2005..We conclude that anandamide acting at hepatic CB(1) contributes to diet-induced obesity and that the FAS pathway may be a common molecular target for central appetitive and peripheral metabolic regulation...
- A high cannabinoid CB(1) receptor immunoreactivity is associated with disease severity and outcome in prostate cancerSui Chu Chung
Department of Pharmacology and Clinical Neuroscience, Pharmacology, Umea University, Umea, Sweden
Eur J Cancer 45:174-82. 2009..It is concluded that a high tumour CB(1)IR score is associated with prostate cancer severity and outcome...
- Dysregulated cannabinoid signaling disrupts uterine receptivity for embryo implantationB C Paria
Department of Pediatrics, Ralph L Smith Research Center, University of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas City, Kansas 66160 7338, USA
J Biol Chem 276:20523-8. 2001..in this study that preimplantation embryo development became asynchronous in mice that are deficient in brain-type (CB1) and/or spleen-type (CB2) cannabinoid receptor genes...
- Coexpression of the cannabinoid receptor type 1 with dopamine and serotonin receptors in distinct neuronal subpopulations of the adult mouse forebrainH Hermann
Group Molecular Genetics of Behavior, Max Planck Institute of Psychiatry, Kraepelinstrasse 2 10, D 80804, Munich, Germany
Neuroscience 109:451-60. 2002The cannabinoid receptor type 1 (CB1) displays unusual properties, including the dual capacity to inhibit or stimulate adenylate cyclase and a brain density considerably higher than the majority of G protein-coupled receptors...
- Endocannabinoid signaling via cannabinoid receptor 1 is involved in ethanol preference and its age-dependent decline in miceLei Wang
Laboratory of Physiologic Studies, National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 100:1393-8. 2003..The high ethanol preference of young (6-10 weeks) C57BL6J mice is reduced by the cannabinoid receptor 1 (CB1) antagonist SR141716A to levels observed in their CB1 knockout littermates or in old (26-48 weeks) ..
- Milk intake and survival in newborn cannabinoid CB1 receptor knockout mice: evidence for a "CB3" receptorEster Fride
Department of Behavioral Sciences, College of Judea and Samaria, Ariel 44837, Israel
Eur J Pharmacol 461:27-34. 2003..Our data also suggest that the CB(1)(-/-) neonates possess a compensatory mechanism which helps them overcome the lack of cannabinoid CB(1) receptors...
- Overeating, alcohol and sucrose consumption decrease in CB1 receptor deleted miceMartine Poncelet
Central Nervous System Department, Sanofi Synthelabo Recherche, 371 rue du Professeur Joseph Blayac, 34184 Montpellier Cedex 04, France
Neurosci Lett 343:216-8. 2003Administration of the cannabinoid CB1 receptor antagonist SR141716 (3-10 mg/kg i.p.) abolished neuropeptide Y-induced overeating and significantly reduced ethanol and sucrose intake in CB1 wild-type (+/+) mice...
- Aberrant cannabinoid signaling impairs oviductal transport of embryosHaibin Wang
Department of Pediatrics, Division of Reproductive and Developmental Biology, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, 1161 21st Avenue South, Nashville, Tennessee 37232, USA
Nat Med 10:1074-80. 2004..Here we show that genetic or pharmacologic silencing of cannabinoid receptor CB1 causes retention of a large number of embryos in the mouse oviduct, eventually leading to pregnancy failure...
- Disruption of CB(1) receptor signaling impairs extinction of spatial memory in miceS A Varvel
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, School of Medicine, Virginia Commonwealth University, P O Box 980613, Richmond, VA 23298 0613, USA
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 179:863-72. 2005..Previous research has demonstrated that either permanent or drug-induced disruption of CB(1) receptor signaling interferes with the extinction of a conditioned fear response...
- Cannabinoid-receptor 1 null mice are susceptible to neurofilament damage and caspase 3 activationS J Jackson
Department of Neuroinflammation, Institute of Neurology, Floor 2, 1 Wakefield Street, London WC1N 1PJ, UK
Neuroscience 134:261-8. 2005..In this study, spinal cord tissue from cannabinoid receptor 1 knockout mice was analyzed for neurofilament H and myelin basic protein content, as markers of neurons/..
- The CB1 cannabinoid receptor mediates glutamatergic synaptic suppression in the hippocampusK A Takahashi
Department of Neuroscience, Albert Einstein College of Medicine of Yeshiva University, Kennedy Center Room 703, 1410 Pelham Parkway South, Bronx, NY 10461, USA
Neuroscience 139:795-802. 2006..Of the two cloned cannabinoid receptors, cannabinoid receptor 1 (CB1) is widely distributed in the CNS and accounts for most of the neurological effects of cannabinoids, ..
- Agonists of cannabinoid receptor 1 and 2 inhibit experimental colitis induced by oil of mustard and by dextran sulfate sodiumEdward S Kimball
Enterology Research Team, Johnson and Johnson Pharmaceutical Research and Development, PA 19477 0776, USA
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 291:G364-71. 2006..OM-induced neuronal stimulation is reported to be reduced by cannabinoid agonists, and cannabinoid receptor 1 (CB1R)-/- mice have exacerbated experimental colitis...
- Molecular composition of the endocannabinoid system at glutamatergic synapsesIstvan Katona
Institute of Experimental Medicine, Hungarian Academy of Sciences, H 1083 Budapest, Hungary
J Neurosci 26:5628-37. 2006..of the synapse, the axon terminals forming these excitatory contacts were found to be equipped with presynaptic CB1 cannabinoid receptors...
- Prolonged recovery rate of CB1 receptor adaptation after cessation of long-term cannabinoid administrationLaura J Sim-Selley
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology and Institute for Drug and Alcohol Studies, Virginia Commonwealth University, Medical College of Virginia Campus, Richmond, VA 23298, USA
Mol Pharmacol 70:986-96. 2006Long-term cannabinoid administration produces region-dependent CB1 receptor desensitization and down-regulation...
- Postnatal development of cannabinoid receptor type 1 expression in rodent somatosensory cortexS Deshmukh
Division of Biological Sciences, University of California, San Diego, 9500 Gilman Drive, La Jolla, CA 92093 0357, USA
Neuroscience 145:279-87. 2007..Cannabinoid receptor type 1 (CB1) is the dominant receptor in the CNS, and is present in many brain regions, including sensory cortex...
- Modulation of the balance between cannabinoid CB(1) and CB(2) receptor activation during cerebral ischemic/reperfusion injuryM Zhang
Center for Substance Abuse Research, Temple University School of Medicine, 231 OMS, 3400 North Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA 19140, USA
Neuroscience 152:753-60. 2008..The greatest degree of neuroprotection was obtained by combining an inhibitor of CB(1) activation with an exogenous CB(2) agonist...
- Loss of cannabinoid receptor 1 accelerates intestinal tumor growthDingzhi Wang
Departments of Medicine, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, Tenessee, USA
Cancer Res 68:6468-76. 2008..Here we show that CB1 expression was silenced in human colorectal cancer due to methylation of the CB1 promoter...
- Cannabinoid 1 receptor blockade reduces atherosclerosis with enhances reverse cholesterol transportKoichi Sugamura
Department of Cardiovascular Medicine, Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Kumamoto University, Kumamoto, Japan
J Atheroscler Thromb 17:141-7. 2010A recent clinical study using coronary intravascular ultrasound showed that rimonabant, a cannabinoid 1 (CB1) receptor antagonist, significantly reduced total atheroma volume, suggesting that CB1 receptor blockade could be beneficial in ..
- Unresponsiveness to cannabinoids and reduced addictive effects of opiates in CB1 receptor knockout miceC Ledent
IRIBHN, Universite Libre de Bruxelles, B 1070 Brussels, Belgium
Science 283:401-4. 1999The function of the central cannabinoid receptor (CB1) was investigated by invalidating its gene...
- Increased mortality, hypoactivity, and hypoalgesia in cannabinoid CB1 receptor knockout miceA Zimmer
Laboratory of Genetics, National Institute of Mental Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 96:5780-5. 1999..To study the role of the major known target of cannabinoids in the CNS, the CB1 cannabinoid receptor, we have produced a mouse strain with a disrupted CB1 gene...
- Enhancement of memory in cannabinoid CB1 receptor knock-out miceM Reibaud
CNS Department, Research Center of Vitry Alfortville, Rhone Poulenc Rorer, Vitry sur Seine, France
Eur J Pharmacol 379:R1-2. 1999..Cannabinoid CB1 knock-out mice are able to retain memory for at least 48 h after the first trial whereas the wild-type controls ..
- Cannabinoid-induced mesenteric vasodilation through an endothelial site distinct from CB1 or CB2 receptorsZ Jarai
Department of Pharmacology, Medical College of Virginia, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA 23298, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 96:14136-41. 1999..Two cannabinoid receptors, CB1 and CB2, have been cloned, and studies with the selective CB1 receptor antagonist SR141716A have implicated ..
- Endogenous cannabinoids mediate long-term synaptic depression in the nucleus accumbensDavid Robbe
Actions Concertées Incitatives Jeunes Chercheurs Plasticité Synaptique et Toxicomanie, Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, Unité Propre de Recherche 9023, 141 rue de la Cardonille, 34094 Montpellier Cedex 05, France
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99:8384-8. 2002..causes a long-term depression of nucleus accumbens glutamatergic synapses mediated by eCB release and presynaptic CB1 receptors...
- The endogenous cannabinoid system controls extinction of aversive memoriesGiovanni Marsicano
Molecular Genetics of Behaviour, Max Planck Institute of Psychiatry, Kraepelinstrasse 2 10, 80804 Munich, Germany
Nature 418:530-4. 2002..Despite the importance of extinction, its cellular mechanisms are largely unknown. The cannabinoid receptor 1 (CB1) and endocannabinoids are present in memory-related brain areas and modulate memory...
- Anti-obesity effect of SR141716, a CB1 receptor antagonist, in diet-induced obese miceChristine Ravinet Trillou
Central Nervous System Research, Sanofi Synthelabo, 31036 Toulouse Cedex, France
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 284:R345-53. 2003Because the CB1 receptor antagonist SR141716 was previously reported to modulate food intake in rodents, we studied its efficacy in reducing obesity in a diet-induced obesity (DIO) model widely used for research on the human obesity ..
- The effects of genetic and pharmacological blockade of the CB1 cannabinoid receptor on anxietyJ Haller
Institute of Experimental Medicine, Hungarian Academy of Science, 1450 Budapest, Hungary
Eur J Neurosci 16:1395-8. 2002The aim of this study was to compare the effects of the genetic and pharmacological disruption of CB1 cannabinoid receptors on the elevated plus-maze test of anxiety...
- CB1 cannabinoid receptors and on-demand defense against excitotoxicityGiovanni Marsicano
Molecular Genetics of Behaviour, Max Planck Institute of Psychiatry, Kraepelinstrabetae 2 10, 80804 Munich, Germany
Science 302:84-8. 2003..These protective mechanisms could not be triggered in mutant mice. The endogenous cannabinoid system thus provides on-demand protection against acute excitotoxicity in central nervous system neurons...
- Differential G protein-coupled cannabinoid receptor signaling by anandamide directs blastocyst activation for implantationHaibin Wang
Department of Pediatric, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, TN 37232, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 100:14914-9. 2003..mechanism involves signaling between an evolutionarily conserved G protein-coupled protein cannabinoid receptor, CB1, that is expressed at high levels on the surface of the trophectoderm and anandamide (N-arachi-donoylethanolamine), ..
- CB1 cannabinoid receptor knockout in mice leads to leanness, resistance to diet-induced obesity and enhanced leptin sensitivityC Ravinet Trillou
Central Nervous System Research, Sanofi Synthelabo, Toulouse Cedex, France
Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 28:640-8. 2004There is growing evidence for an implication of the CB1 receptor subtype of the endocannabinoid system in the regulation of eating and fat deposition...
- Context-dependent effects of CB1 cannabinoid gene disruption on anxiety-like and social behaviour in miceJ Haller
Institute of Experimental Medicine, 1083 Budapest, P O BOX 67, Hungary
Eur J Neurosci 19:1906-12. 2004..To assess this hypothesis, we submitted CB1 receptor knock-out (CB1-KO) and wild-type (WT) mice to tests, which involved similar behaviours, but the ..
- The endogenous cannabinoid system protects against colonic inflammationFederico Massa
Group Molecular Genetics of Behaviour, Max Planck Institute of Psychiatry, Munich, Germany
J Clin Invest 113:1202-9. 2004..Here, we show that cannabinoid receptors type 1 (CB1) mediate intrinsic protective signals that counteract proinflammatory responses...
- Defective adult neurogenesis in CB1 cannabinoid receptor knockout miceKunlin Jin
Buck Institute for Age Research, 8001 Redwood Boulevard, Novato, CA 94945, USA
Mol Pharmacol 66:204-8. 2004Pharmacological studies suggest a role for CB1 cannabinoid receptors (CB1R) in regulating neurogenesis in the adult brain...
- Involvement of cannabinoid receptors in the regulation of neurotransmitter release in the rodent striatum: a combined immunochemical and pharmacological analysisAttila Köfalvi
Laboratory of Molecular Pharmacology, Institute of Experimental Medicine, Hungarian Academy of Sciences, Budapest H 1450, Hungary
J Neurosci 25:2874-84. 2005..potential in Parkinson's and Huntington's diseases, the cellular and subcellular distributions of striatal CB1 receptors are not well defined...
- Kappa- and delta-opioid receptor functional activities are increased in the caudate putamen of cannabinoid CB1 receptor knockout miceLeyre Urigüen
Servicio de Psiquiatría y Unidad de Investigación, Hospital Universitario 12 de Octubre, Madrid, Spain
Eur J Neurosci 22:2106-10. 2005..functional activity and density of micro-, kappa- and delta-opioid receptors in both brain regions of cannabinoid CB1 receptor knockout mice. Functional activity was estimated by measuring agonist-stimulated [35S]GTPgammaS binding...
- The endocannabinoid system promotes astroglial differentiation by acting on neural progenitor cellsTania Aguado
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology I, School of Biology, Complutense University, 28040 Madrid, Spain
J Neurosci 26:1551-61. 2006Endocannabinoids exert an important neuromodulatory role via presynaptic cannabinoid CB1 receptors and may also participate in the control of neural cell death and survival...
- The CB1 cannabinoid receptor is the major cannabinoid receptor at excitatory presynaptic sites in the hippocampus and cerebellumYoshinobu Kawamura
Department of Cellular Neuroscience, Graduate School of Medicine, Osaka University, Suita 565 0871, Japan
J Neurosci 26:2991-3001. 2006..It is generally accepted that the CB1 cannabinoid receptor (CB1) mediates the effects of endocannabinoid in inhibitory synapses...
- Extracellular-signal regulated kinase 1-dependent metabotropic glutamate receptor 5-induced long-term depression in the bed nucleus of the stria terminalis is disrupted by cocaine administrationBrad A Grueter
Department of Molecular Physiology, Center for Molecular Neuroscience, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, Tennessee 37232, USA
J Neurosci 26:3210-9. 2006....
- Cannabinoid receptor type 1 located on presynaptic terminals of principal neurons in the forebrain controls glutamatergic synaptic transmissionMaria R Domenici
Department of Clinical Neuropharmacology, Max Planck Institute of Psychiatry, 80804 Munich, Germany
J Neurosci 26:5794-9. 2006It is widely accepted that cannabinoids regulate GABA release by activation of cannabinoid receptor type 1 (CB1)...
- Requirement of cannabinoid receptor type 1 for the basal modulation of hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis functionDaniela Cota
Group of Clinical Neuroendocrinology, Max Planck Institute of Psychiatry, Munich, Germany
Endocrinology 148:1574-81. 2007..Here we demonstrate that mice lacking cannabinoid receptor type 1 (CB1-/-) display a significant dysregulation of the HPA axis...
- Expression and function of cannabinoid receptors CB1 and CB2 and their cognate cannabinoid ligands in murine embryonic stem cellsShuxian Jiang
Division of Experimental Medicine, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, United States of America
PLoS ONE 2:e641. 2007....
- Cannabinoids inhibit insulin secretion and cytosolic Ca2+ oscillation in islet beta-cells via CB1 receptorsMasanori Nakata
Department of Physiology, Division of Integrative Physiology, Jichi Medical School, School of Medicine, Yakushiji 3311 1, Shimotsuke, Tochigi, 329 0498, Japan
Regul Pept 145:49-53. 2008..Endogenous cannabinoids act on the cannabinoid type 1 (CB1) receptor, a GPCR, and stimulate appetite via central and peripheral actions, while blockade of CB1 receptor ..
- The genetic versus pharmacological invalidation of the cannabinoid CB(1) receptor results in differential effects on 'non-associative' memory and forebrain monoamine concentrations in miceGunnar Thiemann
School of Psychology, Neuroscience Research Unit, University of Hertfordshire, Hatfield, Herts AL10 9AB, UK
Neurobiol Learn Mem 88:416-23. 2007....
- Endocannabinoids mediate neuron-astrocyte communicationMarta Navarrete
Instituto Cajal, Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Cientificas, Madrid 28002, Spain
Neuron 57:883-93. 2008..We show that hippocampal astrocytes express CB1 receptors that upon activation lead to phospholipase C-dependent Ca2+ mobilization from internal stores...
- Targeting endocannabinoid degradation protects against experimental colitis in mice: involvement of CB1 and CB2 receptorsMartin A Storr
Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Medicine, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
J Mol Med (Berl) 86:925-36. 2008..In conclusion, drugs targeting EC degradation offer therapeutic potential in the treatment of inflammatory bowel diseases. Furthermore, reduction of FAAH mRNA expression is involved in the pathophysiological response to colitis...
- Hepatic CB1 receptor is required for development of diet-induced steatosis, dyslipidemia, and insulin and leptin resistance in miceDouglas Osei-Hyiaman
Laboratory of Physiologic Studies, National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, NIH, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
J Clin Invest 118:3160-9. 2008..implicated in the development of these associated phenotypes, because mice deficient for the cannabinoid receptor CB1 (CB1-/-) do not display these changes in association with diet-induced obesity...
- The type 1 cannabinoid receptor is highly expressed in embryonic cortical projection neurons and negatively regulates neurite growth in vitroTania Vitalis
CNRS UMR 7637, Laboratoire de Neurobiologie et Diversité Cellulaire, Paris, France
Eur J Neurosci 28:1705-18. 2008....
- Endocannabinoids mediate acute fear adaptation via glutamatergic neurons independently of corticotropin-releasing hormone signalingK Kamprath
Max Planck Institute of Psychiatry, Munich, Germany
Genes Brain Behav 8:203-11. 2009....
- D2 dopamine receptor activation facilitates endocannabinoid-mediated long-term synaptic depression of GABAergic synaptic transmission in midbrain dopamine neurons via cAMP-protein kinase A signalingBin Pan
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53226, USA
J Neurosci 28:14018-30. 2008....
- Gz mediates the long-lasting desensitization of brain CB1 receptors and is essential for cross-tolerance with morphineJavier Garzón
Instituto Cajal, CSIC, Madrid, Spain
Mol Pain 5:11. 2009..These effects are mediated by cannabinoids binding to peripheral, spinal and supraspinal CB1 and CB2 receptors, making it difficult to determine the relevance of each receptor type to these phenomena...
- Origin, early commitment, migratory routes, and destination of cannabinoid type 1 receptor-containing interneuronsYury M Morozov
Department of Neurobiology, Yale University School of Medicine and Kavli Institute for Neuroscience, New Haven, CT 06510, USA
Cereb Cortex 19:i78-89. 2009..Thus, the specific subclasses of CB(1)+ inhibitory interneurons, similar to the projection neurons, are determined at the time and place of last cell division and follow their own complex migratory pattern to the final positions...
- Endocannabinoids render exploratory behaviour largely independent of the test aversiveness: role of glutamatergic transmissionW Jacob
Max Planck Institute of Psychiatry, D 80804 Munich, Germany
Genes Brain Behav 8:685-98. 2009..in the regulation of exploratory behaviour, we tested conventional and conditional cannabinoid receptor type 1 (CB1)-deficient mice in behavioural paradigms with different emotional load, which depended on the strength of ..
- CB1 and CB2 cannabinoid receptors differentially regulate the production of reactive oxygen species by macrophagesKi Hoon Han
Division of Cardiology, Department of Internal Medicine, Asan Medical Center, University of Ulsan College of Medicine, Songpa Gu, Seoul, Republic of Korea
Cardiovasc Res 84:378-86. 2009We investigated the mechanism by which cannabinoid receptors-1 (CB1) and -2 (CB2) modulate inflammatory activities of macrophages.
- Cannabinoid modulation of hippocampal long-term memory is mediated by mTOR signalingEmma Puighermanal
Laboratori de Neurofarmacologia, Facultat de Ciencies de la Salut i de la Vida, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Barcelona, Spain
Nat Neurosci 12:1152-8. 2009..We found that CB1 cannabinoid receptor (CB1R) activation transiently modulated the mammalian target of rapamycin (mTOR)/p70S6K pathway and the protein synthesis ..
- Spinal endocannabinoids and CB1 receptors mediate C-fiber-induced heterosynaptic pain sensitizationAlejandro J Pernia-Andrade
Institute of Pharmacology and Toxicology, University of Zurich, Winterthurerstrasse 190, CH 8057 Zurich, Switzerland
Science 325:760-4. 2009..We found that endocannabinoids, produced upon strong nociceptive stimulation, activated type 1 cannabinoid (CB1) receptors on inhibitory dorsal horn neurons to reduce the synaptic release of gamma-aminobutyric acid and glycine ..
- CB1 cannabinoid receptors promote oxidative stress and cell death in murine models of doxorubicin-induced cardiomyopathy and in human cardiomyocytesPartha Mukhopadhyay
Section on Oxidative Stress and Tissue Injury, Laboratory of Physiological Studies, NIH NIAAA, 5625 Fishers Lane, MSC 9413, Bethesda, MD 20892 9413, USA
Cardiovasc Res 85:773-84. 2010Here we investigated the mechanisms by which cardiovascular CB1 cannabinoid receptors may modulate the cardiac dysfunction, oxidative stress, and interrelated cell death pathways associated with acute/chronic cardiomyopathy induced by ..
- Localization and function of the cannabinoid CB1 receptor in the anterolateral bed nucleus of the stria terminalisNagore Puente
Department of Neurosciences, Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry, Basque Country University, Bilbao, Spain
PLoS ONE 5:e8869. 2010..of this study was to provide a detailed morphological characterization of the localization of the cannabinoid 1 (CB1) receptor a necessary step toward a better understanding of the physiological roles of the eCB system in this ..
- Bimodal control of stimulated food intake by the endocannabinoid systemLuigi Bellocchio
INSERM U862, Neurocentre Magendie, Endocannabinoids and Neuroadaptation, Bordeaux, France
Nat Neurosci 13:281-3. 2010..Conversely, brain CB(1) receptors modulating excitatory transmission mediated the well-known orexigenic effects of cannabinoids...
- Dissociation of within- and between-session extinction of conditioned fearWolfgang Plendl
Max Planck Institute of Psychiatry, 80804 Munich, Germany
J Neurosci 30:4990-8. 2010..Together, our findings demonstrate that within-session extinction is neither sufficient nor essential for between-session extinction, thus calling for a reconsideration of current concepts underlying exposure-based therapies...
- CB(1) signaling in forebrain and sympathetic neurons is a key determinant of endocannabinoid actions on energy balanceCarmelo Quarta
Endocrinology Unit and Centro di Ricerca Biomedica Applicata, Department of Clinical Medicine, University of Bologna, Bologna 40138, Italy
Cell Metab 11:273-85. 2010..In conclusion, CB(1) signaling in the forebrain and sympathetic neurons is a key determinant of the ECS control of energy balance...
- Alterations in the hippocampal endocannabinoid system in diet-induced obese miceFederico Massa
Institute of Physiological Chemistry, University Medical Center of the Johannes Gutenberg University, D 55099 Mainz, Germany
J Neurosci 30:6273-81. 2010..Our results show that DIO-induced changes in the eCB system affect not only tissues directly involved in the metabolic regulation but also brain regions mediating hedonic aspects of eating and influencing cognitive processes...
- Peripheral CB1 cannabinoid receptor blockade improves cardiometabolic risk in mouse models of obesityJoseph Tam
Laboratory of Physiologic Studies, National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
J Clin Invest 120:2953-66. 2010..Cannabinoid-1 receptor (CB1R) antagonists reduce body weight and improve cardiometabolic abnormalities in experimental and human obesity, but ..
- Differential subcellular recruitment of monoacylglycerol lipase generates spatial specificity of 2-arachidonoyl glycerol signaling during axonal pathfindingErik Keimpema
European Neuroscience Institute at Aberdeen and Division of Applied Medicine, Aberdeen AB25 2ZD, United Kingdom
J Neurosci 30:13992-4007. 2010....
- REPRESSION OF T CELL ACTIVATION BY ENDOCANNABINOIDSNorbert Kaminski; Fiscal Year: 2003The overall goals of this 4 year research plan are two-fold: (a) to characterize the role of cannabinoid receptors CB1 and CB2 in the modulation of T-cell function by endogenous eicosinoid-like cannabinoids; and (b) to elucidate the ..
- IL-2 Suppression by Endocannabinoid Activation of PPARgammaNORBERT EDWARD KAMINSKI; Fiscal Year: 2010..activation of the nuclear receptor, peroxisome proliferator activated receptor gamma (PPARgamma), independently of CB1 and CB2...
- CB1 Receptors: Cocaine Reinforcement and RelapseSara Ward; Fiscal Year: 2007..For example, mice in which the CB1 receptor has been altered can be used to assess the role of these receptors in the reinforcing effects of drugs of ..
- IMAGING TRANSMISSION ELECTRON MICROSCOPEVIRGINIA PICKEL; Fiscal Year: 2001..abstract_text> ..
- REGULATION OF ADIPOCYTE PROTEIN SYNTHESIS BY AMINO ACIDSChristopher Lynch; Fiscal Year: 2007..The proposed studies will elucidate how leucine regulates mTOR and the roles of leucine stimulation of mTOR in adipose tissue physiology and obesity. ..
- Identification and characterization of two novel cannabinoid receptorsAlex Straiker; Fiscal Year: 2008..If it were possible to clearly identify and isolate a neuron mediating a non-CB1 cannabinoid response, then it should be possible using existing technologies to identify and clone the receptor...
- Role of Leucine Metabolism in Leucine SignalingCHRISTOPHER JOHN LYNCH; Fiscal Year: 2010..The implication of our ongoing research is that blocking the first step in BCAA metabolism with a drug, or to a less extent increasing dietary BCAAs, will promote weight loss. ..
- ULTRASTRUCTURE OF MESOLIMBIC TRANSMITTER INTERACTIONSVIRGINIA PICKEL; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] Together, the results will contribute to our understanding of the[unreadable] pathophysiology and treatment of hyperkinetic movement disorders and[unreadable] schizophrenia. ..
- Molecular basis of arsenic-induced cell transformationZigang Dong; Fiscal Year: 2007..Such knowledge will facilitate the design of more effective and specific strategies with fewer side effects for chemoprevention of arsenic-induced cancer. ..
- Anticarcinogenic Mechanisms of Tea ConstituentsZigang Dong; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- CANNABINOIDERGIC CONTROL OF ALCOHOL RELATED BEHAVIORSBasalingappa Hungund; Fiscal Year: 2006..The current proposal focuses on the function of one such protein hitherto unexplored, namely cannabinoid (CB1) receptor in EtOH drinking and EtOH-related behaviors...
- ENDOCANNABINOIDS AND VOLUNTARY ETHANOL CONSUMPTIONBasalingappa Hungund; Fiscal Year: 2008There is overwhelming evidence now to support a role for endocannabinoid signaling [anandmide, AEA and cannabinoid (CB1 receptor)] in many aspects of alcohol-related behaviors...
- Mechanisms of chemopreventive effect of resveratrolZigang Dong; Fiscal Year: 2009..Our long-term goal is to identify the molecular mechanism explaining the anti-tumor effect exhibited by resveratrol. Such knowledge will help in developing better chemopreventive agents with fewer side effects. ..
- INHIBITION OF CARCINOGENESIS BY TEA AND TEA CONSTITUENTSZigang Dong; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..
- Study on Ultraviolet-induced Signal TransductionZigang Dong; Fiscal Year: 2010..These preclinical studies are designed to lead to the development of new strategies for the chemoprevention of human skin cancers. ..