Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: C3
Description: complement component 3
Alias: AI255234, ASP, HSE-MSF, Plp, complement C3, acylation stimulating protein, complement component 3d, complement factor 3
Publications144 found, 100 shown here
- Absence of signaling into CD4⁺ cells via C3aR and C5aR enables autoinductive TGF-β1 signaling and induction of Foxp3⁺ regulatory T cellsMichael G Strainic
Institute of Pathology, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Nat Immunol 14:162-71. 2013..The resulting iT(reg) cells exerted robust suppression, had enhanced stability and suppressed ongoing autoimmune disease. Antagonism of C3aR and C5aR can also induce functional human iT(reg) cells...
- A complement-dependent balance between hepatic ischemia/reperfusion injury and liver regeneration in miceSongqing He
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Darby Children s Research Institute, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, South Carolina 29425, USA
J Clin Invest 119:2304-16. 2009..experiments revealed an important role for the C3a degradation product acylation-stimulating protein (ASP) in the balance between inflammation/injury versus regeneration...
- A critical role for murine complement regulator crry in fetomaternal toleranceC Xu
Department of Medicine, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Science 287:498-501. 2000..Complement activation at the fetomaternal interface caused the fetal loss because breeding to C3-/- mice rescued Crry-/- mice from lethality...
- C3 promotes expansion of CD8+ and CD4+ T cells in a Listeria monocytogenes infectionYumi Nakayama
Department of Pathobiological Sciences, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI 53706, USA
J Immunol 183:2921-31. 2009It is known that C3 is required for optimal expansion of T cells during acute viral infections. However, it is not yet determined whether T cell responses to intracellular bacterial infections require C3...
- The integrin Mac-1 (CR3) mediates internalization and directs Bacillus anthracis spores into professional phagocytesClaudia R Oliva
Department of Microbiology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL 35294 2170, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105:1261-6. 2008..anthracis pathogenesis by promoting spore uptake by professional phagocytes and subsequent access to a favorable niche for transport, germination, and outgrowth in lymphoid tissues...
- Specific protein methylation defects and gene expression perturbations in coactivator-associated arginine methyltransferase 1-deficient miceNeelu Yadav
Department of Carcinogenesis, University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, P O Box 389, Smithville 78957, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 100:6464-8. 2003..These findings provide genetic evidence for the essential role of CARM1 in estrogen-mediated transcriptional activation...
- Deletion of both ICAM-1 and C3 enhances severity of experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis compared to C3-deficient miceSherry S Smith
Department of Microbiology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL 35294, United States
Neurosci Lett 442:158-60. 2008..Previous studies in our lab have examined the role of C3, the central complement component, and intercellular adhesion molecule-1 (ICAM-1) a key cell adhesion molecule ..
- Complement regulates CD4 T-cell help to CD8 T cells required for murine allograft rejectionMark Vieyra
Renal Division, Department of Medicine, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, New York 10029, USA
Am J Pathol 179:766-74. 2011....
- Mechanisms of mannose-binding lectin-associated serine proteases-1/3 activation of the alternative pathway of complementNirmal K Banda
Division of Rheumatology, Departments of Medicine and Immunology, University of Colorado School of Medicine, Aurora, CO 80045, USA
Mol Immunol 49:281-9. 2011..We conclude that MASP-1 does not require binding to MBL-A, MBL-C, or FCN-A to activate the AP. MASP-1 may cleave pro-Df into mature Df through binding to FCN-B or to an unknown protein, or may function as an unbound soluble protein...
- The lung responds to zymosan in a unique manner independent of toll-like receptors, complement, and dectin-1Margaret M Kelly
Immunology Research Group, Department of Physiology, University of Calgary, Room 1863, 3330 Hospital Drive NW, Calgary, AB, T2N 4N1 Canada
Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 38:227-38. 2008..Depletion of alveolar macrophages did not affect the response to zymosan. Neither complement, macrophages, nor TLR2, TLR4, MyD88, and/or dectin-1 receptors were involved in the pulmonary in vivo inflammatory response to zymosan...
- Modulation of the SDF-1-CXCR4 axis by the third complement component (C3)--implications for trafficking of CXCR4+ stem cellsMarius Z Ratajczak
Stem Cell Biology Program, James Graham Brown Cancer Center, University of Louisville, Louisville, KY 40202, USA
Exp Hematol 34:986-95. 2006..C becomes activated with the release of the third complement component (C3) cleavage fragments (e.g., C3a, desArgC3a, and iC3b) during tissue/organ injury...
- Reduced body weight, adipose tissue, and leptin levels despite increased energy intake in female mice lacking acylation-stimulating proteinI Murray
Mike Rosenbloom Laboratory for Cardiovascular Research, McGill University Health Center, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Endocrinology 141:1041-9. 2000..Our initial study indicated that complement C3-deficient (-/-) mice (and, therefore, ASP deficient) demonstrated altered dietary postprandial triglyceride ..
- Mobilization studies in mice deficient in either C3 or C3a receptor (C3aR) reveal a novel role for complement in retention of hematopoietic stem/progenitor cells in bone marrowJanina Ratajczak
Stem Cell Biology Program, James Graham Brown Cancer Center, University of Louisville, 529 South Jackson St, KY 40202, USA
Blood 103:2071-8. 2004..In our previous studies we showed that the complement C3 activation peptide, C3a, sensitizes responses of HSPCs to stromal-derived factor 1 (SDF-1)...
- Acylation-stimulating protein (ASP)/complement C3adesArg deficiency results in increased energy expenditure in miceZhunan Xia
Mike Rosenbloom Laboratory for Cardiovascular Research, McGill University Health Centre, Montreal H3A 1A1, Canada
J Biol Chem 279:4051-7. 2004Acylation-stimulating protein (ASP) acts as a paracrine signal to increase triglyceride synthesis in adipocytes...
- Signaling through up-regulated C3a receptor is key to the development of experimental lupus nephritisLihua Bao
Section of Nephrology, University of Chicago, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
J Immunol 175:1947-55. 2005..These data illustrate that C3aR is relevant in experimental lupus nephritis and may be a target for therapeutic intervention in the human disease...
- Local extravascular pool of C3 is a determinant of postischemic acute renal failureConrad A Farrar
King s College London School of Medicine at Guy s, King s College and St Thomas Hospitals, Department of Nephrology and Transplantation, London
FASEB J 20:217-26. 2006The third complement component (C3) is an acute phase protein that plays a central role in reperfusion injury in several organ models...
- A role for complement in the enhanced susceptibility of steatotic livers to ischemia and reperfusion injurySongqing He
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Children s Research Institute, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, South Carolina 29245, USA
J Immunol 183:4764-72. 2009..b>C3 deficiency protected both lean and steatotic mice from IRI, as determined by all measured outcomes...
- Complement factor 3 deficiency attenuates hemorrhagic shock-related hepatic injury and systemic inflammatory response syndromeChangchun Cai
Department of Surgery, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15261, USA
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 299:R1175-82. 2010..In this study, complement factor 3-deficient (C3(-/-)) mice and wild-type control mice were subjected to 1...
- The specific production of the third component of complement by osteoblastic cells treated with 1 alpha,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3T Sato
Department of Biochemistry, School of Dentistry, Showa University, Tokyo, Japan
FEBS Lett 285:21-4. 1991..with 1 alpha,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 (1 alpha,25(OH)2D3) and identified as the third component of mouse complement (C3)...
- Regulation of the B cell response to T-dependent antigens by classical pathway complementM B Fischer
Department of Pathology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Immunol 157:549-56. 1996Mice deficient in complement components C3 (C3 -/-) and C4 (C4 -/-) were found to have a profound defect in their Ab response to a T-dependent Ag (bacteriophage (phi X174)...
- A role for Mac-1 (CDIIb/CD18) in immune complex-stimulated neutrophil function in vivo: Mac-1 deficiency abrogates sustained Fcgamma receptor-dependent neutrophil adhesion and complement-dependent proteinuria in acute glomerulonephritisT Tang
Department of Pathology, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
J Exp Med 186:1853-63. 1997..b>Complement C3-deficient mice also had significantly decreased proteinuria compared to wild-type mice...
- In vivo role of complement-interacting domains of herpes simplex virus type 1 glycoprotein gCJ Lubinski
Department of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
J Exp Med 190:1637-46. 1999..virus (HSV)-1 glycoprotein gC has two domains that are involved in modulating complement activation; one binds C3, and the other is required for blocking C5 and properdin (P) binding to C3...
- Complement-mediated clearance of erythrocytes: mechanism and delineation of the regulatory roles of Crry and DAF. Decay-accelerating factorHector Molina
Center for Experimental Therapeutics, Department of Pharmacology, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia 19104, USA
Blood 100:4544-9. 2002..We have recently shown that mouse erythrocytes deficient in the membrane C3 regulatory protein, complement receptor 1-related gene/protein y (Crry), but not decay-accelerating factor (DAF), ..
- Lack of C3 affects Th2 response development and the sequelae of chemotherapy in schistosomiasisAnne Camille La Flamme
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine, Ithaca, NY 14853, USA
J Immunol 170:470-6. 2003The role of the third component of complement (C3) during schistosome infection was investigated using mice deficient in C3...
- Role of complement receptors 1 and 2 (CD35 and CD21), C3, C4, and C5 in survival by mice of Staphylococcus aureus bacteremiaKenji M Cunnion
Department of Pediatrics and Duke Clinical Research Institue, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC, USA
J Lab Clin Med 143:358-65. 2004..However, C5-deficient mice depleted of C3 with the use of cobra-venom factor had 60% decreased survival compared with untreated C5-deficient mice with ..
- C3 is central to the interstitial component of experimental immune complex glomerulonephritisThomas R Welch
Department of Pediatrics, State University of New York Upstate Medical University, 750 E Adams Street, Syracuse, NY 13210, USA
Clin Immunol 115:80-4. 2005We have suggested that renal tubular synthesis of C3 and its activation in the cortical interstitium is a mechanism for the progression of glomerulonephritis to interstitial injury...
- Relative roles of complement factor 3 and mannose-binding lectin in host defense against infectionKazue Takahashi
Laboratory of Developmental Immunology, Department of Pediatrics, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, 55 Fruit Street, GRJ 1402, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Infect Immun 73:8188-93. 2005..In this study, we evaluated the relative roles of C3 and MBL against S. aureus infection by generating MBL x C3 null mice to compare with C3 single null mice...
- Deficiency of decay-accelerating factor and complement receptor 1-related gene/protein y on murine platelets leads to complement-dependent clearance by the macrophage phagocytic receptor CRIgDavid D Kim
Department of Pharmacology, Institute for Translational Medicine and Therapeutics, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Blood 112:1109-19. 2008..These results show a critical but redundant role of DAF and Crry in platelet survival and suggest that complement-opsonized platelets and erythrocytes engage different complement receptors on tissue macrophages in vivo...
- Studies of group B streptococcal infection in mice deficient in complement component C3 or C4 demonstrate an essential role for complement in both innate and acquired immunityM R Wessels
Channing Laboratory, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, MA, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 92:11490-4. 1995..the approach of gene targeting in embryonic stem cells to generate mice totally deficient in complement component C3. Comparison of C3-deficient mice with mice deficient in complement component C4 demonstrated that the 50% lethal ..
- Immunoglobulin G-mediated inflammatory responses develop normally in complement-deficient miceD Sylvestre
Division of Molecular Biology, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York 10021, USA
J Exp Med 184:2385-92. 1996..in immunoglobulin G-triggered inflammation was studied in mice genetically deficient in complement components C3 and C4...
- Impaired mast cell-dependent natural immunity in complement C3-deficient miceA P Prodeus
Department of Pathology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Nature 390:172-5. 1997..We found that C4- or C3-deficient mice were much more sensitive to caecal ligation and puncture than wild-type (WT) controls (100% versus 20%..
- Immune complex glomerulonephritis in C4- and C3-deficient miceR J Quigg
Department of Medicine, The University of Chicago, Illinois 60637, USA
Kidney Int 53:320-30. 1998In this study, we examined the roles of C4 and C3 in immune complex glomerulonephritis by actively immunizing C4-deficient (C4 -/-), C3 deficient (C3 -/-) and wild-type mice with apoferritin...
- Targeted disruption of the murine gene coding for the third complement component (C3)M Pekna
Department of Medical Biochemistry, University of Goteborg, Sweden
Scand J Immunol 47:25-9. 1998..Using gene targeting, we have generated mice deficient for the third complement component (C3). These mice represent an animal model in which complement activation by any pathway is prevented at an early stage...
- Local synthesis of C3 within the splenic lymphoid compartment can reconstitute the impaired immune response in C3-deficient miceM B Fischer
Department of Pathology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Immunol 160:2619-25. 1998Mice bearing a disrupted C3 locus (C3-/-) have an impaired Ab response to T-dependent Ags (bacteriophage phiX 174 and nuclear protein-keyhole limpet hemocyanin) characterized by a reduction in number and size of germinal centers and ..
- Herpes simplex virus type 1 glycoprotein gC mediates immune evasion in vivoJ M Lubinski
Departments of Medicine, School of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
J Virol 72:8257-63. 1998..Herpes simplex virus type 1 (HSV-1) glycoprotein C (gC) binds complement component C3 and inhibits complement-mediated virus neutralization and lysis of infected cells in vitro...
- Modulation of immune complex-induced inflammation in vivo by the coordinate expression of activation and inhibitory Fc receptorsR Clynes
Laboratory of Molecular Genetics and Immunology, The Rockefeller University, New York 10021, USA
J Exp Med 189:179-85. 1999..Exploiting the FcgammaRII inhibitory pathway could thus provide a new therapeutic approach for modulating antibody-triggered inflammation...
- Mice lacking acylation stimulating protein (ASP) have delayed postprandial triglyceride clearanceI Murray
Mike Rosenbloom Laboratory for Cardiovascular Research, McGill University Health Centre, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H3A 1A1
J Lipid Res 40:1671-6. 1999b>Acylation stimulating protein (ASP) is a 76 amino acid fragment of the third component of complement (C3) which is generated by the interaction of adipsin and factor B with C3...
- Protective T cell-independent antiviral antibody responses are dependent on complementA F Ochsenbein
Institute for Experimental Immunology, University Hospital, CH 8091 Zurich, Switzerland
J Exp Med 190:1165-74. 1999..importance was evaluated in this study in virus infections in mice deficient either in soluble complement factors (C3(-/-), C4(-/-)) or in the complement signaling complex (complement receptor [CR]2(-/-), CD19(-/-))...
- Cutting edge: C3, a key component of complement activation, is not required for the development of myelin oligodendrocyte glycoprotein peptide-induced experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis in miceD M Calida
Department of Neurology, Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Division of Neuropathology, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
J Immunol 166:723-6. 2001..To clarify the role of C in mouse EAE, we immunized mice deficient in C3 (C3(-/-)) and their wild-type (C3(+/+)) littermates with myelin oligodendrocyte glycoprotein peptide 35-55...
- Cutting edge: myeloid complement C3 enhances the humoral response to peripheral viral infectionA Verschoor
Department of Pathology, Harvard Medical School The Center for Blood Research, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Immunol 167:2446-51. 2001..The development of an efficient humoral response to the virus is dependent on innate immunity component complement C3. The liver is the major source of C3, but there are also extrahepatic origins of C3 such as lymphoid ..
- Role of complement in Mycobacterium avium pathogenesis: in vivo and in vitro analyses of the host response to infection in the absence of complement component C3S S Bohlson
Department of Biology, University of Notre Dame, Notre Dame, Indiana 46617, USA
Infect Immun 69:7729-35. 2001..the role of complement in the mycobacterial infection process in vivo, mice deficient in complement component C3 were infected with M. avium. Surprisingly, C3-deficient mice infected intravenously with M...
- Complement component C3 promotes T-cell priming and lung migration to control acute influenza virus infectionManfred Kopf
Molecular Biomedicine, Department of Environmental Sciences, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Zurich, Switzerland
Nat Med 8:373-8. 2002..Here we show that mice deficient for the third component of complement (C3-/- mice) are highly susceptible to primary infection with influenza virus...
- Local synthesis of complement component C3 regulates acute renal transplant rejectionJulian R Pratt
Department of Nephrology and Transplantation, King s College University of London, Guy s Hospital, London, UK
Nat Med 8:582-7. 2002..Here we show that the absence of locally synthesized complement component C3 is capable of modulating the rejection of renal allografts in vivo and regulating T-cell responses in vivo and in ..
- Complement deficiency ameliorates collagen-induced arthritis in miceMax Albert Hietala
Department of Medical Biochemistry, Goteborg University, Goteborg, Sweden
J Immunol 169:454-9. 2002..DBA/1J mice deficient of complement factors C3 (C3(-/-)) and factor B (FB(-/-)) were generated to elucidate the role of the complement system in CIA...
- Influence of C3 deficiency on atherosclerosisChiara Buono
Department of Pathology, Brigham and Women s Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Mass 02115, USA
Circulation 105:3025-31. 2002The influence of complement activation on atherosclerosis is not well understood. The purpose of this study was to examine the effects of C3 deficiency on the extent and phenotype of atherosclerosis.
- Critical role of complement and viral evasion of complement in acute, persistent, and latent gamma-herpesvirus infectionSharookh B Kapadia
Department of Immunology and Pathology, Department of Molecular Microbiology, Washington University School of Medicine, Box 8118, 660 South Euclid Avenue, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Immunity 17:143-55. 2002..We evaluated the role of complement factor C3 (C3) and the murine gamma-herpesvirus 68 (gammaHV68) RCA protein in viral pathogenesis...
- Tolerance is dependent on complement C3 fragment iC3b binding to antigen-presenting cellsJeong Hyeon Sohn
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, Kentucky Lions Eye Center, University of Louisville, Louisville, Kentucky, USA
Nat Med 9:206-12. 2003..The ligation of the complement C3 activation product iC3b to complement receptor type 3 (the iC3b receptor) on antigen-presenting cells resulted ..
- Complement component 3 is required for optimal expansion of CD8 T cells during a systemic viral infectionM Suresh
Department of Pathobiological Sciences, University of Wisconsin, Madison 53706, USA
J Immunol 170:788-94. 2003In addition to its established role in innate immune mechanisms, complement component C3 is also of critical importance in B cell activation and T cell-dependent Ab responses...
- The proinflammatory mediators C3a and C5a are essential for liver regenerationChristoph W Strey
Protein Chemistry Laboratory, Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
J Exp Med 198:913-23. 2003..b>C3- or C5-deficient mice exhibited high mortality, parenchymal damage, and impaired liver regeneration after partial ..
- Myeloid C3 determines induction of humoral responses to peripheral herpes simplex virus infectionAdmar Verschoor
Center for Blood Research, Boston, MA 02115 Pathology, Pediatrics, and Microbiology and Molecular Genetics, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
J Immunol 171:5363-71. 2003..In contrast, using a bone marrow chimeric model, we observed that C3 synthesis by myeloid cells, a relatively minor source of complement, provided a critical function during the ..
- Lack of complement factor C3, but not factor B, increases hyperlipidemia and atherosclerosis in apolipoprotein E-/- low-density lipoprotein receptor-/- miceLinda Persson
Department of Medical Biochemistry, The Sahlgrenska Academy at Goteborg University, Goteborg, Sweden
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 24:1062-7. 2004To investigate the effect of complement deficiency on atherogenesis and lipidemia, we used mice deficient in the third complement component (C3-/-) or factor B (FB-/-).
- The alternative activation pathway and complement component C3 are critical for a protective immune response against Pseudomonas aeruginosa in a murine model of pneumoniaStacey L Mueller-Ortiz
Research Center for Immunology and Autoimmune Diseases, Institute of Molecular Medicine for the Prevention of Human Diseases, University of Texas Houston 77030, USA
Infect Immun 72:2899-906. 2004..aeruginosa pulmonary infection, we challenged C3-, C4-, and factor B-deficient mice with P. aeruginosa via intranasal inoculation...
- C3a and C3b activation products of the third component of complement (C3) are critical for normal liver recovery after toxic injuryMaciej M Markiewski
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
J Immunol 173:747-54. 2004..In addition, livers from C3-deficient (C3(-/-)) mice showed similarly impaired proliferation of hepatocytes, along with delayed kinetics of both ..
- Early neoplastic progression is complement independentKarin E de Visser
Cancer Research Institute, University of California, San Francisco, 2340 Sutter Street, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
Neoplasia 6:768-76. 2004..during acute pathologic tissue remodeling, we examined the functional significance of complement component 3 (C3) as a regulator of inflammatory cell infiltration and activation during malignant progression by using a transgenic ..
- Complement activation is required for induction of a protective antibody response against West Nile virus infectionErin Mehlhop
Department of Medicine, Molecular Microbiology, and Pathology and Immunology, Washington University School of Medicine, 660 South Euclid Ave, Box 8051, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
J Virol 79:7466-77. 2005..Both C3-deficient and CR1- and CR2-deficient mice also had significant deficits in their humoral responses after infection ..
- Macrophages from C3-deficient mice have impaired potency to stimulate alloreactive T cellsWuding Zhou
Department of Nephrology and Transplantation, King s College London School of Medicine at Guy s Hospital, London, SE1 9RT, United Kingdom
Blood 107:2461-9. 2006Impaired T-cell reactivity is a feature of C3-deficient mice in several disease models. The mechanism behind the reduced T-cell response is, however, poorly understood...
- Dendritic cell synthesis of C3 is required for full T cell activation and development of a Th1 phenotypeQi Peng
Department of Nephrology and Transplantation, King s College London School of Medicine at Guy s, King s College and St Thomas Hospitals, London SE1 9RT, United Kingdom
J Immunol 176:3330-41. 2006Previous studies have found that deficiency of complement component C3 is associated with reduced T cell responses in several disease models including viral infection, autoimmune disease, and transplantation...
- CRIg: a macrophage complement receptor required for phagocytosis of circulating pathogensKarim Y Helmy
Department of Immunology, Genentech Inc, 1 DNA Way, South San Francisco, CA 94080, USA
Cell 124:915-27. 2006..CRIg expression on Kupffer cells is required for efficient binding and phagocytosis of complement C3-opsonized particles...
- A dominant complement fixation pathway for pneumococcal polysaccharides initiated by SIGN-R1 interacting with C1qYoung Sun Kang
Laboratory of Cellular Physiology and Immunology and Chris Browne Center for Immunology and Immune Diseases, The Rockefeller University, 1230 York Avenue, New York, NY 10021, USA
Cell 125:47-58. 2006..A pivotal step in the complement pathway is the assembly of a C3 convertase, which digests the C3 complement component to form microbial binding C3 fragments recognized by ..
- Generation of C5a in the absence of C3: a new complement activation pathwayMarkus Huber-Lang
Department of Traumatology, Hand and Reconstructive Surgery, University of Ulm Medical School, Steinhoevelstrasse 9, D 89075 Ulm, Germany
Nat Med 12:682-7. 2006..Acute lung inflammatory injury in wild-type and C3-/- mice after deposition of IgG immune complexes was of equivalent intensity and was C5a dependent, but injury was ..
- The complement component C3 plays a critical role in both Th1 and Th2 responses to antigenAli Yalcindag
Division of Immunology, Children s Hospital, Department of Pediatrics, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Allergy Clin Immunol 117:1455-61. 2006Complement component C3 is synthesized by keratinocytes and is activated after skin injury. C3 is also synthesized by peritoneal macrophages, which are activated by the adjuvant alum.
- C3a is required for the production of CXC chemokines by tubular epithelial cells after renal ishemia/reperfusionJoshua M Thurman
Department of Medicine, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, CO 80262, USA
J Immunol 178:1819-28. 2007..This innate immune system thereby recognizes hypoxic injury and triggers a systemic inflammatory response through the generation of C3a and subsequent activation of the NF-kappaB system...
- Complement contributes to inflammatory tissue destruction in a mouse model of Ross River virus-induced diseaseThomas E Morrison
Department of Genetics, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, NC 27599, USA
J Virol 81:5132-43. 2007..Furthermore, mice deficient in C3 (C3(-/-)), the central component of the complement system, developed much less severe disease signs than did wild-..
- Regulation of Toll-like receptor-mediated inflammatory response by complement in vivoXinhua Zhang
Institute for Translational Medicine and Therapeutics and Department of Pharmacology, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Blood 110:228-36. 2007..These results reveal a strong interaction between complement and TLR signaling in vivo and suggest a novel mechanism by which complement promotes inflammation and modulates adaptive immunity...
- CD59 or C3 are not requred for angiotensin II-dependent hypertension or hypertrophy in miceBarbara Coles
Department of Medical Biochemistry and Immunology, School of Medicine, Cardiff University, Cardiff, UK
Immunology 121:518-25. 2007..Herein, in vivo responses to angiotensin (ang) II were characterized in mice deficient in CD59a or C3. CD59a(-/-) mice had slightly but significantly elevated systolic blood pressure (107.2 +/- 1.7 mmHg versus 113...
- Local production and activation of complement up-regulates the allostimulatory function of dendritic cells through C3a-C3aR interactionQi Peng
Medical Research Council Centre for Transplantation, Department of Nephrology and Transplantation, King s College London, London, United Kingdom
Blood 111:2452-61. 2008Donor cell expression of C3 enhances the alloimmune response and is associated with the fate of transplantation...
- Acylation-stimulating protein deficiency and altered adipose tissue in alternative complement pathway knockout miceSabina Paglialunga
Department of Biochemistry, McGill University, Montreal
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 294:E521-9. 2008Acylation-stimulating protein (C3adesArg/ASP) is an adipokine that acts on its receptor C5L2 to stimulate triglyceride (TG) synthesis in adipose tissue...
- Locally produced complement fragments C5a and C3a provide both costimulatory and survival signals to naive CD4+ T cellsMichael G Strainic
Department of Pathology, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
Immunity 28:425-35. 2008..These local paracrine and autocrine interactions thus operate constitutively in naive T cells to maintain viability, and their amplification by cognate APC partners thus is critical to T cell costimulation...
- Locally produced C5a binds to T cell-expressed C5aR to enhance effector T-cell expansion by limiting antigen-induced apoptosisPeter N Lalli
Department of Immunology, Cleveland Clinic, OH, USA
Blood 112:1759-66. 2008..deficient in the complement regulatory protein, decay accelerating factor (DAF), and/or the complement component C3. We found that T-cell expansion induced by DAF-deficient APCs was augmented with diminished T-cell apoptosis, ..
- Functions of the complement components C3 and C5 during sepsisMichael A Flierl
Dept of Pathology, University of Michigan Medical School, 1301 Catherine Rd, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
FASEB J 22:3483-90. 2008..In the current study, we examined the role of complement C3 and C5 in sepsis in wild-type and C3- or C5-deficient mice induced by cecal ligation and puncture...
- Sex steroid hormones induce acylation stimulating protein resistance in 3T3-L1 adipocytesYu Wen
Department of Pediatrics, Tongji Hospital, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan, Hubei, PR China
J Cell Biochem 105:404-13. 2008b>Acylation stimulating protein (ASP) stimulates triglyceride synthesis and glucose transport via its receptor C5L2...
- Membrane protein Crry maintains homeostasis of the complement systemXiaobo Wu
Department of Medicine, Division of Rheumatology, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
J Immunol 181:2732-40. 2008..study, we demonstrate that Crry(-/-) mice could be rescued on a partial as well as on a complete factor B (fB)- or C3-deficient maternal background...
- Complement receptor 3 promotes severe ross river virus-induced diseaseThomas E Morrison
The Carolina Vaccine Institute, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 9024 Burnett Womack, CB 7292, Manning Drive, Chapel Hill, NC 27599
J Virol 82:11263-72. 2008..that viral infection results in a severe inflammatory arthritis and myositis and that complement component 3 (C3) contributes to the destructive phase of the inflammatory disease but not the recruitment of cellular infiltrates to ..
- Cyclic AMP plays a critical role in C3a-receptor-mediated regulation of dendritic cells in antigen uptake and T-cell stimulationKe Li
Complement Laboratory, Medical Research Centre MRC Centre for Transplantation, King s College London School of Medicine at Guy s Hospital, London, United Kingdom
Blood 112:5084-94. 2008..Similarities in the phenotype of C3-deficient and C3aR-deficient DCs suggest that local production of C3 with extracellular metabolism to C3a is an ..
- Factor H facilitates the clearance of GBM bound iC3b by controlling C3 activation in fluid phaseDanielle Paixao-Cavalcante
Molecular Genetics and Rheumatology Section, Faculty of Medicine, Imperial College, Hammersmith Campus, Du Cane Road, London, W12 0NN, UK
Mol Immunol 46:1942-50. 2009..Factor H (CFH)-deficient (Cfh(-/-)) mice spontaneously develop C3 deposition along the glomerular basement membrane (GBM) with subsequent development of glomerulonephritis with ..
- Complement promotes the development of inflammatory T-helper 17 cells through synergistic interaction with Toll-like receptor signaling and interleukin-6 productionChongyun Fang
Institute for Translational Medicine and Therapeutics and Department of Pharmacology, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Blood 114:1005-15. 2009..Collectively, these data establish a link between complement/TLR interaction and Th17-cell differentiation and provide new insight into the mechanism of action of complement in autoimmunity...
- Complement C3a regulates late asthmatic response and airway hyperresponsiveness in miceNobuaki Mizutani
Department of Pharmacology, Kobe Pharmaceutical University, Kobe, Japan
J Immunol 183:4039-46. 2009..Additionally, the C3 level in serum 4 h after the fourth challenge was significantly reduced compared with that before the challenge...
- Decay-accelerating factor suppresses complement C3 activation and retards atherosclerosis in low-density lipoprotein receptor-deficient miceViola W Y Leung
Vascular Science Section, Imperial College, National Heart and Lung Institute, the Division of Investigative Sciences, Imperial College London, Hammersmith Hospital, London W12 0NN, United Kingdom
Am J Pathol 175:1757-67. 2009..Decay-accelerating factor (DAF; CD55) is a membrane protein that regulates complement pathway activity at the level of C3. To test the hypothesis that DAF plays an essential role in limiting complement activation in the arterial wall and ..
- Recombinant C3adesArg/acylation stimulating protein (ASP) is highly bioactive: a critical evaluation of C5L2 binding and 3T3-L1 adipocyte activationWei Cui
Centre de Recherche Institut Universitaire de Cardiologie et de Pneumologie de Quebec, Universite Laval, Quebec, Canada
Mol Immunol 46:3207-17. 2009C5L2 is a recently identified receptor for C5a/C5adesArg, C3a and C3adesArg (ASP). C5a/C5adesArg bind with high affinity, with no identified activation...
- B cells produce pathogenic antibodies and impair recovery after spinal cord injury in miceDaniel P Ankeny
Center for Brain and Spinal Cord Repair, Department of Molecular Virology, Immunology, and Medical Genetics, The Ohio State University Medical Center, 460 West 12th Avenue, Columbus, OH 43210 1239, USA
J Clin Invest 119:2990-9. 2009..One or more components of this pathologic immune response could be considered as novel therapeutic targets for minimizing tissue injury and/or promoting repair after SCI...
- Essential role of complement mannose-binding lectin-associated serine proteases-1/3 in the murine collagen antibody-induced model of inflammatory arthritisNirmal K Banda
Division of Rheumatology, University of Colorado School of Medicine, Aurora, CO 80045, USA
J Immunol 185:5598-606. 2010..Disease activity scores, complement C3 tissue deposition in the joint, and histopathologic injury scores were markedly decreased in MASP1/3(-/-) as ..
- The development of atypical hemolytic uremic syndrome depends on complement C5Elena Goicoechea de Jorge
Complement and Inflammation Section, Division of Immunology and Inflammation, Faculty of Medicine, Imperial College, Hammersmith Hospital Campus, Du Cane Road, London W12 ONN, United Kingdom
J Am Soc Nephrol 22:137-45. 2011..FHΔ16-20 mice. Both C5-sufficient and C5-deficient Cfh(-/-).FHΔ16-20 mice had abnormal C3 deposition within the kidney, but spontaneous aHUS did not develop in any of the C5-deficient mice...
- A protective role for complement C3 protein during pandemic 2009 H1N1 and H5N1 influenza A virus infectionKevin B O'Brien
Department of Medical Microbiology and Immunology, University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin, United States of America
PLoS ONE 6:e17377. 2011..b>C3, a member of the complement system of serum proteins, is a major component of the innate immune and inflammatory ..
- A protective role of complement component 3 in T cell-mediated skin inflammationRahul Purwar
Division of Immunodermatology and Allergy Research, Department of Dermatology and Allergy, Hannover Medical School, Ricklinger Strasse 5, Hannover, Germany
Exp Dermatol 20:709-14. 2011Keratinocytes synthesize complement component 3 (C3) constitutively, and increased expression of C3 has been described during skin inflammation...
- Distinct roles for C3a and C5a in complement-induced tubulointerstitial injuryLihua Bao
Section of Nephrology, Department of Medicine, University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois 60637, USA
Kidney Int 80:524-34. 2011..complement activation is regulated by a number of plasma and membrane-associated proteins, most of which limit C3 and C5 activation...
- The role of complement component 3 (C3) in differentiation of myeloid-derived suppressor cellsChing Chuan Hsieh
Department of Immunology, Lerner Research Institute, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
Blood 121:1760-8. 2013..DC) culture promoted development of MDSCs, instead of DCs, which was highly dependent on complement component 3 (C3) from HpSCs...
- The structure of an alternate form of complement C3 that displays costimulatory growth factor activity for B lymphocytesY Cahen-Kramer
Basel Institute for Immunology, Switzerland
J Exp Med 180:2079-88. 1994In this study, the structure of a novel 1.9-kb transcript coding for complement component 3 (C3) is described. This alternate C3 is identical to the 3' end of the C3 message beginning at position 3300 of the C3 cDNA...
- Increased susceptibility to endotoxin shock in complement C3- and C4-deficient mice is corrected by C1 inhibitor replacementM B Fischer
Department of Pathology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Immunol 159:976-82. 1997..the role of complement in endotoxin shock, we have used mice totally deficient in either complement component C3 or C4...
- Genetic disruption of the murine complement C3 promoter region generates deficient mice with extrahepatic expression of C3 mRNAA Circolo
Department of Pediatrics, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Immunopharmacology 42:135-49. 1999Genetic deficiencies of the complement protein C3 occur naturally in humans and animal models and have been induced in mice by targeted deletion of the C3 gene...
- Crry, but not CD59 and DAF, is indispensable for murine erythrocyte protection in vivo from spontaneous complement attackTakashi Miwa
Center for Experimental Therapeutics and Department of Pharmacology, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia 19104, USA
Blood 99:3707-16. 2002..and CD59 are 2 glycosylphosphatidylinositol-anchored membrane proteins that inhibit complement activation at the C3 and C5b-9 step, respectively...
- Mac-1 signaling via Src-family and Syk kinases results in elastase-dependent thrombohemorrhagic vasculopathyJunichi Hirahashi
Department of Pathology, Center for Excellence in Vascular Biology, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Immunity 25:271-83. 2006..Here, in a model of thrombohemorrhagic vasculitis, the CD18 integrin Mac-1 on neutrophils recognized complement C3 deposited within vessel walls and triggered a signaling pathway involving the Src-family kinase Hck and the ..
- Cloning, expression and genetic mapping of the mouse SH3 domain protein, SH3D2BT Torrey
Laboratory of Immunopathology, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, National Institute of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Mamm Genome 9:74-5. 1998
- Murine glomerular mesangial cell uptake of apoptotic cells is inefficient and involves serum-mediated but complement-independent mechanismsJ Cortes-Hernandez
Rheumatology Section and Histopathology Department, Division of Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Imperial College, Hammersmith Campus, London, UK
Clin Exp Immunol 130:459-66. 2002..The phagocytosis of apoptotic cells was significantly inhibited by Arg-Gly-Asp-Ser (RGDS), a peptide capable of blocking the interaction of thrombospondin with CD36 or the vitronectin receptor...
- Expression of the third complement component (C3) and carboxypeptidase N small subunit (CPN1) during mouse embryonic developmentKirstin W Matthews
Institute of Molecular Medicine for the Prevention of Human Diseases, University of Texas Houston, 2121 West Holcombe Blvd, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Dev Comp Immunol 28:647-55. 2004..understand the regulation of complement during development, we examined the expression of the complement protein, C3, and the active subunit of carboxypeptidase N (CPN1), the complement anaphylatoxin regulator...
- Genetic deficiency of C3 as well as CNS-targeted expression of the complement inhibitor sCrry ameliorates experimental autoimmune uveoretinitisRussell W Read
Department of Ophthalmology, The University of Alabama at Birmingham, 1530 3rd Avenue South, Birmingham, AL 35294 1150, USA
Exp Eye Res 82:389-94. 2006..C57BL/6 mice genetically deficient in C3 (C3-/-) or expressing a soluble complement activation inhibitor (soluble complement receptor related protein Y or ..
- The effect of C1 inhibitor on intestinal ischemia and reperfusion injuryFengxin Lu
Immune Disease Inst, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 295:G1042-9. 2008..C57BL/6, C1INH-deficient (C1INH(-/-)), bradykinin type 2 receptor-deficient (Bk2R(-/-)), and C3-deficient mice (C3(-/-)) were randomized into three groups: sham operated control, IR, and IR + C1INH-treated groups...
- Efficient osteoclast differentiation requires local complement activationZhidan Tu
Department of Pathology, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH, USA
Blood 116:4456-63. 2010Previous studies using blocking antibodies suggested that bone marrow (BM)-derived C3 is required for efficient osteoclast (OC) differentiation, and that C3 receptors are involved in this process...
- Immune evasion of Moraxella catarrhalis involves ubiquitous surface protein A-dependent C3d bindingTeresia Hallström
Department of Laboratory Medicine Malmö, Lund University, Skane University Hospital, Malmo, Sweden
J Immunol 186:3120-9. 2011..In the present study, we found that the ability of M. catarrhalis to bind C3 correlated with UspA expression and that C3 binding contributed to serum resistance in a large number of clinical ..
- Murine complement component 3: genetic variation and linkage to H-2F P Da Silva
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 75:963-5. 1978Two electrophoretic variants of murine complement component 3 (C3) were detected by using high-voltage electrophoresis of fresh mouse serum in agarose gels...
- The location of the C3 and GLO (glyoxalase 1) loci of the IXth linkage group in miceP Rubinstein
J Immunol 122:2584-9. 1979
- Genetic polymorphism of murine C3 controlled by a single co-dominant locus on chromosome 17S Natsuume-Sakai
J Immunol 121:491-8. 1978
- AbetaPP and Cerebral VasculopathyWilliam Van Nostrand; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Cr2 as a Murine Lupus Susceptibility GeneSUSAN BOACKLE; Fiscal Year: 2007..These studies will clarify the specific functions of CR2, impaired in the NZM2410 mouse model, that may impact on the development of autoimmune disease and thus be important targets for therapeutic interventions. ..
- Innate Immunity in the Clearance of Influenza A Virus Infected Apoptotic CellsKazue Takahashi; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- CELLULAR AND MOLECULAR BASIS OF HIV BASED THROMBOCYTOPENMariusz Ratajczak; Fiscal Year: 2002..In toto, the studies proposed in this grant will increase the knowledge about pathogenesis of AIDS associated thrombocytopenia and may lead to development of new strategies for its treatment of prevention. (End of Abstract) ..
- The CXCR4-SDF-1 Axis in Metastatic RhabdomyosarcomaMariusz Ratajczak; Fiscal Year: 2009..This work will be of relevance for designing strategies to block the SDF-1-CXCR4 axis to treat CXCR4-positive cancers. ..
- Direct Regulation of CD8 T Cells by Interferon gammaMarulasiddappa Suresh; Fiscal Year: 2010..These studies should aid in the development of vaccines against arena viruses in particular and other viruses in general. ..
- Functional Analysis of Complement Receptor 2 as a Lupus Susceptibility GeneSusan A Boackle; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Amyloid Beta Protein Precursor Influences Cerebral ThrombosisWilliam E Van Nostrand; Fiscal Year: 2010..This may lead to new avenues for developing strategies to regulate cerebral thrombosis and limit damage to the brain as a consequence of hemorrhagic and ischemic stroke. ..
- Cerebral Microvascular Amyloid: Neuroinflammation and Cognitive DeficitsWilliam E Van Nostrand; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Enhancement of CD8 T Cell Immunity by IL-7 TherapyMarulasiddappa Suresh; Fiscal Year: 2008..The proposed studies should aid in the rational design of vaccines that can engender potent CDS T cell memory and protect against poxvirus and arenaviral infections. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Complement Activation and Renal Ischemia/Reperfusion InjuryJOSHUA THURMAN; Fiscal Year: 2008..1 of that grant, we found that proximal tubular epithelial cells (PTECs) respond to ischemia by synthesizing complement C3. The complement inhibitory protein expressed by PTECs is also ordinarily polarized to the basolateral surface ..
- Complement Receptor 2 as a Biomarker for Systemic Lupus ErythematosusSUSAN BOACKLE; Fiscal Year: 2007..In addition, they will advance our understanding of the role of CR2 in the pathogenesis of SLE and provide insight into the mechanisms that contribute to the development of this disease. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Complement and Ischemic Acute Renal FailureJOSHUA THURMAN; Fiscal Year: 2007..The purpose of these studies is to ameliorate ischemic ARF by blocking these pathogenic events, and to develop strategies for decreasing the morbidity and mortality associated with ischemic ARF in humans. ..
- Transgenic Model for Cerebral Amyloid AngiopathyWilliam Van Nostrand; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Arbovirus Evasion of Type I Interferon InductionMark Heise; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Complement inhibition in experimental autoimmune uveitisRUSSELL READ; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Improved Vaccines for Rift Valley Fever VirusMark T Heise; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- TOGAVIRUS TROPISM FOR BONES, JOINTS, AND CNSMark T Heise; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Complement and the Clearance of Staphylococcus aureusKENJI CUNNION; Fiscal Year: 2006..two heavily- encapsulated strains, and one capsule-negative mutant in terms of lethality in complemented mice, C3 binding kinetics, pathways of complement activation, the nature of C3 fragments deposited and shed, the relationship ..
- BETA AND ITS PRECURSOR INFLUENCE HEMOSTATIC ENZYMESWilliam Van Nostrand; Fiscal Year: 2001....