Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Bmp4
Description: bone morphogenetic protein 4
Alias: Bmp-4, Bmp2b, Bmp2b-1, Bmp2b1, bone morphogenetic protein 4, bone morphogenetic protein 2B
Publications198 found, 100 shown here
- Sonic hedgehog regulates growth and morphogenesis of the toothH R Dassule
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, The Biolabs, Divinity Avenue, Cambridge, MA 02138, USA
Development 127:4775-85. 2000..These studies demonstrate that Shh regulates growth and determines the shape of the tooth. However, Shh signaling is not essential for differentiation of ameloblasts or odontoblasts...
- Bone morphogenetic proteins (BMPs) as regulators of dorsal forebrain developmentY Furuta
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Department of Cell Biology, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, TN 37232 2175, USA
Development 124:2203-12. 1997..by in situ hybridization the expression of five Bmp genes belonging to the Drosophila Decapentaplegic (Bmp2 and Bmp4) and 60A subgroups (Bmp5, Bmp6 and Bmp7)...
- Genetic analysis of the roles of BMP2, BMP4, and BMP7 in limb patterning and skeletogenesisAmitabha Bandyopadhyay
Department of Genetics, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, United States of America
PLoS Genet 2:e216. 2006Bone morphogenetic protein (BMP) family members, including BMP2, BMP4, and BMP7, are expressed throughout limb development. BMPs have been implicated in early limb patterning as well as in the process of skeletogenesis...
- Requirement for beta-catenin in anterior-posterior axis formation in miceJ Huelsken
Max Delbrueck Center for Molecular Medicine, 13125 Berlin, Germany
J Cell Biol 148:567-78. 2000..Our data demonstrate that beta-catenin function is essential in anterior-posterior axis formation in the mouse, and experiments with chimeric embryos show that this function is required in the embryonic ectoderm...
- Novel regulators of bone formation: molecular clones and activitiesJ M Wozney
Tissue Growth and Repair Program, Genetics Institute, Inc, Cambridge, MA 02140
Science 242:1528-34. 1988..Two of the encoded proteins (BMP-2A and BMP-3) are new members of the TGF-beta supergene family, while the third, BMP-1, appears to be a novel regulatory molecule...
- Development of the mouse inner ear and origin of its sensory organsH Morsli
National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders, Rockville, Maryland 20850, USA
J Neurosci 18:3327-35. 1998..Particular attention was focused on the developing utricle, saccule, and cochlea. Second, we used bone morphogenetic protein 4 (BMP4) and lunatic fringe (Fng) as molecular markers to identify the origin of the sensory structures...
- Growth arrest specific gene 1 acts as a region-specific mediator of the Fgf10/Fgf8 regulatory loop in the limbYing Liu
Department of Embryology, Carnegie Institution of Washington, Baltimore, Maryland 21210, USA
Development 129:5289-300. 2002..Our data provide evidence that Gas1 acts to maintain high levels of FGF10 at the tip mesenchyme and support the proposal that Fgf10 expression in this region is crucial for maintaining Fgf8 expression in the AER...
- Bmp4 in limb bud mesoderm regulates digit pattern by controlling AER developmentJennifer Selever
Alkek Institute of Biosciences and Technology, Texas A and M System Health Science Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Dev Biol 276:268-79. 2004In the developing limb, Bmp4 is expressed in the apical ectodermal ridge (AER) and underlying mesoderm. Insight into the function of Bmp4 in limb development has been hampered by the early embryonic lethality of Bmp4 null embryos...
- Bmp4 is essential for the formation of the vestibular apparatus that detects angular head movementsWeise Chang
National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders, NIH, Rockville, Maryland, United States of America
PLoS Genet 4:e1000050. 2008..b>Bone morphogenetic protein 4 (Bmp4), a member of the Transforming growth factor family (TGF-beta), is conservatively expressed in ..
- A Wnt5a pathway underlies outgrowth of multiple structures in the vertebrate embryoT P Yamaguchi
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, Biological Laboratories, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA 02138, USA
Development 126:1211-23. 1999..The reduced number of proliferating cells in both the progress zone and the primitive streak mesoderm suggests that one function of Wnt5a is to regulate the proliferation of progenitor cells...
- Cyclic dermal BMP signalling regulates stem cell activation during hair regenerationMaksim V Plikus
Department of Pathology, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California 90033, USA
Nature 451:340-4. 2008..Here we show that unexpected periodic expression of bone morphogenetic protein 2 (Bmp2) and Bmp4 in the dermis regulates this process...
- Cardiac outflow tract defects in mice lacking ALK2 in neural crest cellsVesa Kaartinen
Developmental Biology Program, The Saban Research Institute of Childrens Hospital Los Angeles, Departments of Pathology and Surgery, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Development 131:3481-90. 2004..Thus, the type I BMP receptor ALK2 plays an essential cell-autonomous role in the development of the cardiac outflow tract and aortic arch derivatives...
- Follistatin-like 1 (Fstl1) is a bone morphogenetic protein (BMP) 4 signaling antagonist in controlling mouse lung developmentYan Geng
Model Animal Research Center, Nanjing University, Nanjing 210061, China
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 108:7058-63. 2011..Mechanistically, Fstl1 interacted directly with BMP4, negatively regulated BMP4/Smad1/5/8 signaling, and inhibited BMP4-induced surfactant gene expression...
- Haploinsufficient phenotypes in Bmp4 heterozygous null mice and modification by mutations in Gli3 and Alx4N R Dunn
Department of Cell Biology, Vanderbilt University Medical School, Nashville, Tennessee, 37232 2175, USA
Dev Biol 188:235-47. 1997b>Bone morphogenetic protein 4 (Bmp4), a vertebrate homolog of Drosophila decapentaplegic (dpp), encodes a signaling protein with multiple functions during embryogenesis...
- Defects in tracheoesophageal and lung morphogenesis in Nkx2.1(-/-) mouse embryosP Minoo
Department of Pediatrics, Women s and Children s Hospital, Los Angeles, California 90033, USA
Dev Biol 209:60-71. 1999..These results demonstrate a critical role for Nkx2.1 in morphogenesis of the anterior foregut and the lung as well as in differentiation of pulmonary epithelial cells...
- Patterning of the dorsal telencephalon and cerebral cortex by a roof plate-Lhx2 pathwayE S Monuki
Division of Neurogenetics, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Neuron 32:591-604. 2001..Bimodal Lhx2 regulation can be recapitulated in explants using two roof plate-derived signaling molecules, Bmp4 and Bmp2...
- Transgenic overexpression of BMP4 increases astroglial and decreases oligodendroglial lineage commitmentWilliam A Gomes
Department of Neuroscience, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, NY 10461, USA
Dev Biol 255:164-77. 2003..determine whether BMPs regulate the astrocytic lineage in vivo, transgenic mice were constructed that overexpress BMP4 under control of the neuron-specific enolase (NSE) promoter...
- Bmp4 signaling is required for outflow-tract septation and branchial-arch artery remodelingWei Liu
Alkek Institute of Biosciences and Technology, Texas A and M University System Health Science Center, 2121 Holcombe Boulevard, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101:4489-94. 2004The Bmp4 signaling molecule is expressed in ventral splanchnic and branchial-arch mesoderm and outflow-tract (OFT) myocardium, suggesting a role for Bmp4 in OFT development...
- Regulation of Sox9 by Sonic Hedgehog (Shh) is essential for patterning and formation of tracheal cartilageJinhyung Park
Department of Surgery, Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Canada
Dev Dyn 239:514-26. 2010..Both exogenous Bmp4 and Noggin rescue cartilage phenotype in Shh(-/-) tracheal culture, while promoting excessive cartilage development ..
- Betaglycan is required for the establishment of nephron endowment in the mouseKenneth A Walker
Department of Anatomy and Developmental Biology, Monash University, Clayton, Victoria, Australia
PLoS ONE 6:e18723. 2011..5-e14.5 kidneys demonstrated that heterozygous kidneys exhibited a transient decrease in Bmp4 expression at e11...
- Indian hedgehog positively regulates calvarial ossification and modulates bone morphogenetic protein signalingKelly Lenton
Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Department of Surgery, School of Medicine, Stanford University, Stanford, California 94028, USA
Genesis 49:784-96. 2011..In conjunction with the newly recognized roles of Hedgehog deregulation in craniosynostosis, our study defines Ihh as an important positive regulator of cranial bone ossification...
- Six1 and Eya1 are critical regulators of peri-cloacal mesenchymal progenitors during genitourinary tract developmentChen Wang
Department of Urology, Children s Hospital Boston, 300 Longwood Avenue, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Dev Biol 360:186-94. 2011..Thus, Six1 and Eya1 are key regulators of both upper and lower urinary tract morphogenesis. Results from this study uncover essential roles of the PCM progenitors during genitourinary tract formation...
- Bmp signaling regulates a dose-dependent transcriptional program to control facial skeletal developmentMargarita Bonilla-Claudio
Department of Molecular Physiology and Biophysics, Baylor College of Medicine, One Baylor Plaza, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Development 139:709-19. 2012We performed an in depth analysis of Bmp4, a critical regulator of development, disease, and evolution, in cranial neural crest (CNC)...
- Haploinsufficient Bmp4 ocular phenotypes include anterior segment dysgenesis with elevated intraocular pressureB Chang
The Howard Hughes Medical Institute, USA
BMC Genet 2:18. 2001..Bone morphogenetic proteins (BMPs) participate in various developmental processes. We tested the importance of Bmp4 gene dosage for ocular development and developmental glaucoma.
- Threshold-specific requirements for Bmp4 in mandibular developmentWei Liu
Alkek Institute of Biosciences and Technology, Texas A and M System Health Science Center, Houston, 77030, USA
Dev Biol 283:282-93. 2005..b>Bmp4 is expressed in both distal, mandibular arch ectoderm and pharyngeal endoderm...
- Proper patterning of the optic fissure requires the sequential activity of BMP7 and SHHJulian Morcillo
Departamento de Neurobiologia del Desarrollo, Instituto Cajal, CSIC, Dr Arce 37, Madrid 28002, Spain
Development 133:3179-90. 2006..Collectively, these data indicate that BMP7 is required for retinal fissure formation and that its activity is needed, before SHH signalling, for the generation of PAX2-positive cells at the optic disc...
- Bone morphogenetic protein-4 is required for mesoderm formation and patterning in the mouseG Winnier
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Vanderbilt University Medical School, Nashville, Tennessee 37232 2175, USA
Genes Dev 9:2105-16. 1995..Moreover, in the presumed absence of zygotic ligand, it appears that homozygous mutants can be rescued partially by related proteins or by maternal BMP-4...
- MorphogenesisB L Hogan
Howard Hughes Medical Institute and Department of Cell Biology, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, Tennessee 37232 2175, USA
Cell 96:225-33. 1999
- Conditional inactivation of Fgf4 reveals complexity of signalling during limb bud developmentX Sun
Department of Anatomy and Program in Developmental Biology, School of Medicine, University of California at San Francisco, San Francisco, California, USA
Nat Genet 25:83-6. 2000....
- Hedgehog signaling regulates differentiation from double-negative to double-positive thymocyteS V Outram
Department of Biology, Imperial College of Science, Technology, and Medicine, London, United Kingdom
Immunity 13:187-97. 2000..We show that one consequence of pre-TCR signaling is downregulation of Smo, allowing DN thymocytes to proliferate and differentiate...
- beta-Catenin controls hair follicle morphogenesis and stem cell differentiation in the skinJ Huelsken
Max Delbrueck Center for Molecular Medicine, Robert Roessle Strasse 10, 13092, Berlin, Germany
Cell 105:533-45. 2001..Further analysis demonstrates that beta-catenin is essential for fate decisions of skin stem cells: in the absence of beta-catenin, stem cells fail to differentiate into follicular keratinocytes, but instead adopt an epidermal fate...
- WNT signals are required for the initiation of hair follicle developmentThomas Andl
Department of Dermatology, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Dev Cell 2:643-53. 2002..This phenotype indicates that activation of WNT signaling in the skin precedes, and is required for, localized expression of regulatory genes and initiation of hair follicle placode formation...
- Wnt/beta-catenin signaling plays an essential role in activation of odontogenic mesenchyme during early tooth developmentJianquan Chen
Department of Biology, University of Rochester, Rochester, New York 14642, USA
Dev Biol 334:174-85. 2009..Together, these results indicate that activation of the mesenchymal odontogenic program during early tooth development requires concerted actions of Bmp, Fgf and Wnt signaling from the presumptive dental epithelium to the mesenchyme...
- Wnt signaling plays an essential role in neuronal specification of the dorsal spinal cordYuko Muroyama
Kondoh Differentiation Signaling Project, Exploratory Research for Advanced Technology ERATO, Japan Science and Technology Corporation JST, Kinki Invention Center, Sakyo ku, Kyoto 606 8305, Japan
Genes Dev 16:548-53. 2002..Thus, Wnt signaling plays a critical role in the specification of cell types for dorsal interneurons...
- The mouse bone morphogenetic protein-4 gene. Analysis of promoter utilization in fetal rat calvarial osteoblasts and regulation by COUP-TFI orphan receptorJ Q Feng
Department of Medicine Endocrinology and Metabolism, University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio 78284, USA
J Biol Chem 270:28364-73. 1995..This suggests that COUP-TFI could act as a silencer for BMP-4 transcription in vivo...
- Transgenically ectopic expression of Bmp4 to the Msx1 mutant dental mesenchyme restores downstream gene expression but represses Shh and Bmp2 in the enamel knot of wild type tooth germX Zhao
Department of Cell and Molecular Biology and Center for Bioenvironmental Research, Tulane University, New Orleans, LA 70118, USA
Mech Dev 99:29-38. 2000b>Bmp4 is a downstream gene of Msx1 in early mouse tooth development...
- Follistatin regulates enamel patterning in mouse incisors by asymmetrically inhibiting BMP signaling and ameloblast differentiationXiu Ping Wang
Developmental Biology Programme, Institute of Biotechnology, Viikki Biocenter, PO Box 56, University of Helsinki, FIN 00014 Helsinki, Finland
Dev Cell 7:719-30. 2004..Experiments on cultured tooth explants indicated that follistatin inhibits the ameloblast-inducing activity of BMP4 from the underlying mesenchymal odontoblasts and that follistatin expression is induced by activin from the ..
- Sonic hedgehog is required for cardiac outflow tract and neural crest cell developmentI Washington Smoak
North Carolina State University, Raleigh, 27695, USA
Dev Biol 283:357-72. 2005..Our data suggest that SHH signaling does not act directly on NCCs as a survival factor, but rather acts to restrict the domains that NCCs can populate during early stages (e8.5-10.5) of cardiovascular and craniofacial development...
- Ectodermal Wnt/β-catenin signaling shapes the mouse faceBethany S Reid
Department of Craniofacial Biology and Cell and Developmental Biology, University of Colorado Denver, 12801 East 17th Avenue, PO Box 6511, Aurora, CO 80045, USA
Dev Biol 349:261-9. 2011....
- BMP4 is essential for lens induction in the mouse embryoY Furuta
Howard Hughes Medical Institute and Department of Cell Biology, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, Tennessee 37232 2175 USA
Genes Dev 12:3764-75. 1998..Little is known, however, about the molecules mediating such inductive events. Here, we show that Bmp4, which is expressed strongly in the optic vesicle and weakly in the surrounding mesenchyme and surface ectoderm, ..
- Fgf10 is essential for limb and lung formationK Sekine
Institute of Molecular and Cellular Biosciences, The University of Tokyo, Japan
Nat Genet 21:138-41. 1999..Thus, we show here that Fgf10 serves as an essential regulator of lung and limb formation...
- Inhibition of Bmp signaling affects growth and differentiation in the anagen hair follicleH Kulessa
Howard Hughes Medical Institute and Department of Cell Biology, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, TN, USA
EMBO J 19:6664-74. 2000..These results identify Bmps as key regulators of the genetic program controlling hair shaft differentiation in postnatal hair follicles...
- Independent requirements for Hedgehog signaling by both the anterior heart field and neural crest cells for outflow tract developmentMatthew M Goddeeris
Departments of Cell Biology and Pediatrics, Neonatal Perinatal Research Institute, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Development 134:1593-604. 2007..Disruption of any of these steps can result in a single OFT phenotype...
- Tinkering with the inductive mesenchyme: Sostdc1 uncovers the role of dental mesenchyme in limiting tooth inductionPauliina M Munne
Developmental Biology Program, Institute of Biotechnology, PO Box 56, University of Helsinki, FIN 00014, Helsinki, Finland
Development 136:393-402. 2009..Considering the role of mesenchyme in tooth induction and the design of tissue engineering protocols, our work may have uncovered how delicate control of tissue quantities alone influences the outcome between induction and inhibition...
- Differentiation of embryonic stem cells 1 (Dies1) is a component of bone morphogenetic protein 4 (BMP4) signaling pathway required for proper differentiation of mouse embryonic stem cellsLuigi Aloia
CEINGE Biotecnologie Avanzate, 80145 Napoli, Italy
J Biol Chem 285:7776-83. 2010..Our results demonstrated that Dies1 is required for BMP4/Smad1 signaling cascade; in undifferentiated ESCs Dies1 knockdown did not affect the expression of leukemia ..
- Regulation of retinal progenitor cell differentiation by bone morphogenetic protein 4 is mediated by the smad/id cascadeYang Du
Department of Anatomy, The University of Hong Kong, Pokfulam, Hong Kong SAR, China
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 51:3764-73. 2010..Retinal progenitor cells (RPCs) were used to study the effects of BMP4 on retinal cell differentiation and regulation of Id protein expression. RESULTS...
- The canonical Wnt signaling activator, R-spondin2, regulates craniofacial patterning and morphogenesis within the branchial arch through ectodermal-mesenchymal interactionYong Ri Jin
Center for Molecular Medicine, Maine Medical Center Research Institute, Maine Medical Center, 81 Research Drive, Scarborough, ME 04074, USA
Dev Biol 352:1-13. 2011..Thus, our study identifies Rspo2 as a mesenchyme-derived factor that plays critical roles in regulating BA1 patterning and morphogenesis through ectodermal-mesenchymal interaction and a novel genetic factor for cleft palate...
- Cyclic expression of lhx2 regulates hair formationGunilla Törnqvist
Umeå Center for Molecular Medicine, Umea University, Umea, Sweden
PLoS Genet 6:e1000904. 2010....
- Hedgehog and Bmp genes are coexpressed at many diverse sites of cell-cell interaction in the mouse embryoM J Bitgood
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138, USA
Dev Biol 172:126-38. 1995..The frequent expression of Bmp-2, -4, and -6 in similar or adjacent cell populations suggests a conserved role for Hh/Bmp interactions in vertebrate development...
- Unique functions of Sonic hedgehog signaling during external genitalia developmentR Haraguchi
Center for Animal Resources and Development CARD and Graduate School of Molecular and Genomic Pharmacy, Kumamoto University, Honjo 2 2 1, Kumamoto 860 0811, Japan
Development 128:4241-50. 2001..by organ culture revealed that Shh could regulate mesenchymally expressed genes, patched 1 (Ptch1), bone morphogenetic protein 4 (Bmp4), Hoxd13 and fibroblast growth factor 10 (Fgf10), in the anlage: the genital tubercle (GT)...
- Distinct requirements for extra-embryonic and embryonic bone morphogenetic protein 4 in the formation of the node and primitive streak and coordination of left-right asymmetry in the mouseTakeshi Fujiwara
Howard Hughes Medical Institute and Department of Cell Biology, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, 1161 21st Ave South, Nashville, TN 37232 2175, USA
Development 129:4685-96. 2002..Using several different strategies, we provide evidence in the mouse that bone morphogenetic protein 4 (Bmp4) is required independently in two different sites for node morphogenesis and for LR patterning...
- Evidence that bone morphogenetic protein 4 has multiple biological functions during kidney and urinary tract developmentYoichi Miyazaki
Department of Pediatrics, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, Tennessee 37232 2584, USA
Kidney Int 63:835-44. 2003We have suggested that bone morphogenetic protein 4 (BMP4), acting on the Wolffian duct and ureter epithelium, determines the budding site of the ureter by locally antagonizing ubiquitous inductive signal(s) from the metanephric ..
- In vivo convergence of BMP and MAPK signaling pathways: impact of differential Smad1 phosphorylation on development and homeostasisJosée Aubin
Program in Developmental Biology, Division of Basic Sciences, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, Washington 98109, USA
Genes Dev 18:1482-94. 2004..In addition, formation of PGCs is impaired in Smad1(L/L) mutants, but restored by allelic complementation in Smad1(C/L) compound mutants. These results underscore the need to tightly balance BMP and MAPK signaling pathways through Smad1...
- Cell-surface heparan sulfate proteoglycans potentiate chordin antagonism of bone morphogenetic protein signaling and are necessary for cellular uptake of chordinReema Jasuja
Program in Molecular and Cellular Pharmacology, University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin 53706, USA
J Biol Chem 279:51289-97. 2004..These data and others regarding Chordin diffusion have implications for the paradigm of how Chordin is thought to regulate BMP signaling in the extracellular space and how gradients of BMP signaling are formed...
- Msx genes are important apoptosis effectors downstream of the Shh/Gli3 pathway in the limbYvan Lallemand
CNRS URA, Institut Pasteur, Paris, France
Dev Biol 331:189-98. 2009....
- BMP4 substitutes for loss of BMP7 during kidney developmentLeif Oxburgh
Wellcome Trust Center for Human Genetics, University of Oxford, Roosevelt Drive, Oxford, UK
Dev Biol 286:637-46. 2005..b>BMP4-deficient embryos display mesodermal patterning defects at early post-implantation stages, whereas loss of BMP7 ..
- Regulation of Msx-1, Msx-2, Bmp-2 and Bmp-4 during foetal and postnatal mammary gland developmentD J Phippard
Institute of Cancer Research, Haddow Laboratories, Sutton, Surrey, UK
Development 122:2729-37. 1996..The regulation of Msx-2 expression by oestrogen raises the possibility that hormonal regulation of mammary development is mediated through the control of epithelial-mesenchymal interactions...
- Heparan sulfate-FGF10 interactions during lung morphogenesisKonstantin I Izvolsky
Pulmonary Center, Department of Medicine, Boston University School of Medcine, MA 02118, USA
Dev Biol 258:185-200. 2003..Our data suggest that the ability of FGF10 to induce local budding is critically influenced by developmentally regulated regional patterns of HS sulfation...
- Genetic modification of the inner ear lateral semicircular canal phenotype of the Bmp4 haplo-insufficient mouseRaf Vervoort
Laboratory of Glycobiology and Developmental Genetics, Flanders Institute for Biotechnology VIB and Department of Human Genetics, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Herestraat 49 bus 602, B 3000 Leuven, Belgium
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 394:780-5. 2010In the mouse, development of the lateral semicircular canal of the inner ear is sensitive to Bmp4 heterozygosity...
- SOX3 activity during pharyngeal segmentation is required for craniofacial morphogenesisKarine Rizzoti
Division of Developmental Genetics, MRC National Institute for Medical Research, The Ridgeway, Mill Hill, London NW7 1AA, UK
Development 134:3437-48. 2007..They also give insight into the formation of pharyngeal pouches, of which little is known in vertebrates. Finally, this work introduces two new players in craniofacial development - SOX3 and SOX2...
- Requirement for Wnt3 in vertebrate axis formationP Liu
Department of Molecular and Human Genetics, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Nat Genet 22:361-5. 1999..These studies provide genetic proof for the requirement of Wnt3 in primary axis formation in the mouse...
- Generation of a loxP flanked bmp4loxP-lacZ allele marked by conditional lacZ expressionHolger Kulessa
Department of Cell Biology, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, Tennessee 37232, USA
Genesis 32:66-8. 2002
- Antagonistic crosstalk of Wnt/beta-catenin/Bmp signaling within the Apical Ectodermal Ridge (AER) regulates interdigit formationMylah Villacorte
Department of Organ Formation, Institute of Molecular Embryology and Genetics, Kumamoto University, Honjo 2 2 1, Kumamoto 860 0811, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 391:1653-7. 2010..Elucidation of the potential mechanisms underlying such D/ID development is an urgent medical issue to be solved. This work would be one of the first studies showing essential growth factor cascades in the D/ID formation...
- The basic-helix-loop-helix protein pod1 is critically important for kidney and lung organogenesisS E Quaggin
Samuel Lunenfeld Research Institute, Mount Sinai Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5G 1X5
Development 126:5771-83. 1999..Defects specific to later specialized cell types where Pod1 is expressed, such as the podocytes, were also observed, suggesting that this transcription factor may play multiple roles in kidney morphogenesis...
- Bone morphogenetic protein 4 regulates the budding site and elongation of the mouse ureterY Miyazaki
Department of Pediatrics, Department of Pathology, Department of Cell Biology, and Department of Medicine, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, Tennessee 37232, USA
J Clin Invest 105:863-73. 2000In the normal mouse embryo, Bmp4 is expressed in mesenchymal cells surrounding the Wolffian duct (WD) and ureter stalk, whereas bone morphogenetic protein (BMP) type I receptor genes are transcribed either ubiquitously (Alk3) or ..
- An essential role of Bmp4 in the atrioventricular septation of the mouse heartKai Jiao
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, Tennessee 37232, USA
Genes Dev 17:2362-7. 2003..By combining use of a hypomorphic Bone morphogenetic protein 4 (Bmp4) allele with conditional gene inactivation, we here identify Bmp4 as a signal from the myocardium ..
- Foxd1-dependent signals control cellularity in the renal capsule, a structure required for normal renal developmentRandy S Levinson
Department of Urology, College of Physicians and Surgeons, Columbia University, New York, NY 10032, USA
Development 132:529-39. 2005..that comprises the normal renal capsule, the mutant capsule contains heterogeneous layers of cells, including Bmp4-expressing cells, which induce ectopic phospho-Smad1 signaling in nephron progenitors...
- The life history of an embryonic signaling center: BMP-4 induces p21 and is associated with apoptosis in the mouse tooth enamel knotJ Jernvall
Institute of Biotechnology, University of Helsinki, Finland
Development 125:161-9. 1998..We show that p21 expression is induced by bone morphogenetic protein 4 (BMP-4) in isolated dental epithelia...
- Skeletal abnormalities in doubly heterozygous Bmp4 and Bmp7 miceT Katagiri
Department of Molecular Genetics, University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, USA
Dev Genet 22:340-8. 1998..absence of some Bmp genes expressed in the same areas, we have intercrossed heterozygous Bmp7 mice with Bmp2 +/-, Bmp4 +/-, or Bmp5 +/- animals. Bmp2/7 and Bmp5/7 double heterozygous animals do not present with any abnormalities...
- Bmp4 is required for the generation of primordial germ cells in the mouse embryoK A Lawson
Hubrecht Laboratory, Netherlands Institute for Developmental Biology, 3584 CT Utrecht, The Netherlands
Genes Dev 13:424-36. 1999..Here, we show that Bmp4 homozygous null embryos contain no PGCs...
- Teeth. Where and how to make themH Peters
GSF Research Center for Environment and Health, Institute for Mammalian Genetics, Neuherberg, Germany
Trends Genet 15:59-65. 1999..This cascade provides a molecular model by which reciprocal tissue interactions are controlled...
- Manifestation of the limb prepattern: limb development in the absence of sonic hedgehog functionC Chiang
Department of Cell Biology, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, 1161 21st Avenue South, Nashville, Tennessee 37232, USA
Dev Biol 236:421-35. 2001..According to this model, the limb bud signaling centers, including the zone of polarizing activity (ZPA) acting through Shh, are required to elaborate upon the axial information provided by the native limb field prepattern...
- The Dlx5 homeobox gene is essential for vestibular morphogenesis in the mouse embryo through a BMP4-mediated pathwayGiorgio R Merlo
Dulbecco Telethon Institute DTI, Advanced Biotechnology Center, Largo R Benzi 10, 16132 Genoa, Italy
Dev Biol 248:157-69. 2002..1(Hmx3), Pax2, and Lfng have been seen, while expression of bone morphogenetic protein-4 (Bmp4) was drastically reduced...
- Malleal processus brevis is dispensable for normal hearing in miceZunyi Zhang
Division of Developmental Biology, Department of Cell and Molecular Biology, Tulane University, New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
Dev Dyn 227:69-77. 2003..The expression of Bmp4, a known downstream target of Msx1 in several developing craniofacial organs, was down-regulated in the malleal ..
- The role of Six1 in mammalian auditory system developmentWeiming Zheng
McLaughlin Research Institute for Biomedical Sciences, 1520 23rd Street South, Great Falls, MT 59405, USA
Development 130:3989-4000. 2003..By contrast, Six1 is required for the activation of Fgf3 expression and the maintenance of Fgf10 and Bmp4 expression in the otic vesicle. Furthermore, loss of Six1 function alters the expression pattern of Nkx5...
- TBX1 is required for inner ear morphogenesisFrancesca Vitelli
Department of Pediatrics Cardiology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Hum Mol Genet 12:2041-8. 2003..Our data suggest that Tbx1 deletion in del22q11 patients may cause not only external and middle ear defects but also sensorineural and vestibular phenotypes observed in these patients...
- Vertebrate crossveinless 2 is secreted and acts as an extracellular modulator of the BMP signaling cascadeMika Kamimura
Institute of Development, Aging, and Cancer, Tohoku University, Aoba, Sendai, Miyagi, Japan
Dev Dyn 230:434-45. 2004..Our data show for the first time that CV-2 is a conserved, positive regulator of BMP signaling and that CR domain proteins act as both positive and negative modulators of BMP signaling...
- BMP signaling inhibits intestinal stem cell self-renewal through suppression of Wnt-beta-catenin signalingXi C He
Stowers Institute for Medical Research, 1000 E 50th Street, Kansas City, Missouri 64110, USA
Nat Genet 36:1117-21. 2004..Thus, BMP signaling may control the duplication of intestinal stem cells, thereby preventing crypt fission and the subsequent increase in crypt number...
- Distinct functions for Bmp signaling in lip and palate fusion in miceWei Liu
Alkek Institute of Biosciences and Technology, Texas A and M System Health Science Center, 2121 Holcombe Boulevard, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Development 132:1453-61. 2005..Moreover, conditional inactivation of the Bmp4 gene using the Nestin cre transgenic line resulted in isolated cleft lip...
- Wnt/beta-catenin signaling acts upstream of N-myc, BMP4, and FGF signaling to regulate proximal-distal patterning in the lungWeiguo Shu
Department of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Dev Biol 283:226-39. 2005..Wnt/beta-catenin functions upstream of BMP4, FGF signaling, and N-myc. Moreover, we show that beta-catenin and LEF/TCF activate the promoters of BMP4 and N-myc...
- Msx1 and Msx2 regulate survival of secondary heart field precursors and post-migratory proliferation of cardiac neural crest in the outflow tractYi Hui Chen
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Norris Comprehensive Cancer Center and Hospital, University of Southern California Keck School of Medicine, 1441 Eastlake Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90033, USA
Dev Biol 308:421-37. 2007....
- Bone morphogenetic proteins 4, 6, and 7 are up-regulated in mouse spinal cord during experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitisJahan Ara
Department of Pediatrics, Drexel University College of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
J Neurosci Res 86:125-35. 2008..Quantitative RT-PCR showed that expression of BMP4, BMP6, and BMP7 mRNA increased 2- to 4-fold in the lumbar spinal cords of animals with symptomatic EAE versus in ..
- BMP4/Smad5 dependent stress erythropoiesis is required for the expansion of erythroid progenitors during fetal developmentPrashanth Porayette
The Huck Institutes of the Life Sciences Molecular Medicine Option, The Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA 16802, USA
Dev Biol 317:24-35. 2008..5, erythropoiesis predominates in the fetal liver. In this report we show that the BMP4/Smad5 dependent stress erythropoiesis pathway plays a key role in the expansion of erythroid progenitors in the ..
- Extramedullary erythropoiesis in the adult liver requires BMP-4/Smad5-dependent signalingLaurie E Lenox
The Department of Biochemistry, Molecular and Microbiology, Pennsylvania State University, University Park, Penn 16802 3500, USA
Exp Hematol 37:549-58. 2009..Given these observations, we propose to investigate whether the BMP-4-dependent stress erythropoiesis pathway can regulate extramedullary erythropoiesis in the livers of splenectomized mice...
- Wt1 and retinoic acid signaling in the subcoelomic mesenchyme control the development of the pleuropericardial membranes and the sinus hornsJulia Norden
Institut fur Molekularbiologie, OE5250, Medizinische Hochschule Hannover, Carl Neuberg Str 1, D 30625 Hannover, Germany
Circ Res 106:1212-20. 2010..The systemic venous return myocardium (sinus node and sinus horns) forms only late in cardiogenesis from a pool of pericardial mesenchymal precursor cells...
- Evidence from normal expression and targeted misexpression that bone morphogenetic protein (Bmp-4) plays a role in mouse embryonic lung morphogenesisS Bellusci
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Department of Cell Biology, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, TN 37232 2175, USA
Development 122:1693-702. 1996..A model is proposed for the role of BMP4 and other signalling molecules in embryonic lung morphogenesis.
- Overlapping expression domains of bone morphogenetic protein family members potentially account for limited tissue defects in BMP7 deficient embryosA T Dudley
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138, USA
Dev Dyn 208:349-62. 1997..The variable expressivity of the eye defect correlates with partially overlapping BMP4 and BMP7 expression domains during early eye induction...
- Bmp signaling regulates proximal-distal differentiation of endoderm in mouse lung developmentM Weaver
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Department of Cell Biology, Nashville, TN, USA
Development 126:4005-15. 1999..One candidate is Bone Morphogenetic Protein 4 (Bmp4), which is expressed in a dynamic pattern in the epithelial cells in the tips of growing lung ..
- Murine forkhead/winged helix genes Foxc1 (Mf1) and Foxc2 (Mfh1) are required for the early organogenesis of the kidney and urinary tractT Kume
Howard Hughes Medical Institute and Department of Cell Biology, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, Tennessee 37232 2175, USA
Development 127:1387-95. 2000..Here, we show that most compound heterozygotes have hypoplastic kidneys and a single hydroureter, while all heterozygotes are normal. This provides evidence that the two genes interact in kidney as well as heart development...
- Molecular analysis of external genitalia formation: the role of fibroblast growth factor (Fgf) genes during genital tubercle formationR Haraguchi
Center for Animal Resources and Development CARD, Kumamoto University, Honjo 2 2 1, Kumamoto 860 0811, Japan
Development 127:2471-9. 2000..plate epithelium of the genital tubercle (GT) together with other markers such as the Msx1, Fgf10, Hoxd13 and Bmp4 expressed in the mesenchyme...
- Regulation of outgrowth and apoptosis for the terminal appendage: external genitalia development by concerted actions of BMP signaling [corrected]Kentaro Suzuki
Center for Animal Resources and Development, Graduate School of Medical and Pharmaceutical Sciences, Kumamoto University, Honjo 2 2 1, Kumamoto 860 0811, Japan
Development 130:6209-20. 2003..Exogenously applied BMP4 downregulated the expression of Fgf8 and Wnt5a, concomitant with increased apoptosis and decreased cell ..
- Inactivation of mouse Twisted gastrulation reveals its role in promoting Bmp4 activity during forebrain developmentLise Zakin
Howard Hughes Medical Institute and Department of Biological Chemistry, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1662, USA
Development 131:413-24. 2004..We provide evidence that Tsg interacts genetically with Bmp4. When only one copy of Bmp4 is present, a requirement of Tsg for embryonic development is revealed...
- The level of BMP4 signaling is critical for the regulation of distinct T-box gene expression domains and growth along the dorso-ventral axis of the optic cupHourinaz Behesti
Developmental Biology Unit, Institute of Child Health, University College London, 30 Guilford Street, London, WC1N 1EH, UK
BMC Dev Biol 6:62. 2006..b>Bone morphogenetic protein 4 (Bmp4) is expressed in the dorsal optic vesicle as it transforms into the optic cup...
- BMP signals control limb bud interdigital programmed cell death by regulating FGF signalingSangeeta Pajni-Underwood
Laboratory of Cancer and Developmental Biology National Institutes of Health, Frederick, MD 21702, USA
Development 134:2359-68. 2007..We conclude that during normal embryogenesis, BMP signaling to the AER indirectly regulates interdigit PCD by regulating AER-FGFs, which act as survival factors for the interdigit mesenchyme...
- Role of fibroblast growth factor receptor 2 in kidney mesenchymeDavid Hains
Center for Cell and Developmental Biology, The Research Institute at Nationwide Children s Hospital, Columbus, Ohio 43205, USA
Pediatr Res 64:592-8. 2008..Fgfr2 did not change expression domains of glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor (GDNF), Robo2, bone morphogenetic protein 4, or Sprouty1, all of which regulate ureteric bud induction...
- Activation of BMP-Smad1/5/8 signaling promotes survival of retinal ganglion cells after damage in vivoYumi Ueki
Department of Biological Structure, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington, United States of America
PLoS ONE 7:e38690. 2012..Moreover, treatment of the retina with exogenous BMP4 along with NMDA damage led to a significant rescue of retinal ganglion cells...
- Decoupling the function of Hox and Shh in developing limb reveals multiple inputs of Hox genes on limb growthRushikesh Sheth
Laboratory of Genetics and Development, Institut de recherches cliniques de Montreal IRCM, Quebec, Canada
Development 140:2130-8. 2013....
- Msx1 controls inductive signaling in mammalian tooth morphogenesisY Chen
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Development 122:3035-44. 1996..Our results show that expression of Bone Morphogenetic Protein 4 (BMP4), the HMG box gene Lef1 and the heparan sulfate proteoglycan syndecan-1 is specifically reduced ..
- Evidence for genetic control of Sonic hedgehog by Gli3 in mouse limb developmentD Buscher
Institut fur Molekularbiologie, Medizinische Hochschule Hannover, Germany
Mech Dev 62:175-82. 1997..This data suggest that Gli3 is a regulator of Shh expression in mouse limb development...
- Murine cerberus homologue mCer-1: a candidate anterior patterning moleculeC Biben
Walter and Eliza Hall Institute of Medical Research, Royal Melbourne Hospital, Victoria, Australia
Dev Biol 194:135-51. 1998..Furthermore, both antagonised the ventrolateral mesoderm-inducing activity of coexpressed BMP4. In mouse embryos, mCer-1 was expressed at early gastrulation in a stripe of primitive endoderm along the future ..
- Defects in limb, craniofacial, and thymic development in Jagged2 mutant miceR Jiang
The Jackson Laboratory, Bar Harbor, Maine 04609 USA
Genes Dev 12:1046-57. 1998..These results demonstrate that Notch signaling mediated by Jag2 plays an essential role during limb, craniofacial, and thymic development in mice...
- Fetal Lung Development:Role of Wnt5a SignalingChanggong Li; Fiscal Year: 2008..Also, expression of Shh, Ptc, Fgfl0 and Bmp4 are all increased in Wnt5a(-/-) lungs...
- A Critical Role of DMP-1 in MineralizationJian Feng; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- REGIONAL DIFFERENTIATION DURING FOREBRAIN DEVELOPMENTAnthony S LaMantia; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Hedgehog signaling links bladder injury and cancerDAVID MONTY BERMAN; Fiscal Year: 2010..4) To test whether continuously enforced Hh signaling is sufficient to induce urothelial carcinogenesis. ..
- The function of Foxi3 in craniofacial developmentTakahiro Ohyama; Fiscal Year: 2008..This project has significant potential for the future study of craniofacial and sensory organ development that will shed a light on the genetic mechanisms of craniofacial birth defects. ..
- Commitment of Stem Cells to the Adipocyte LineageROBERT BOWERS; Fiscal Year: 2007..Further, the ability of the identified genes/proteins to induce adipocyte lineage commitment will be tested with both ex vivo and in vivo models. Targets for obesity therapies may be found. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Mechanically Responsive Regions of MEPE GeneJELICA HEINRICH; Fiscal Year: 2006..This approach should enhance our understanding of the complex signaling pathways involved in bone response to mechanical loading. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Hedgehog Pathway in Urogenital Sinus DevelopmentDavid Berman; Fiscal Year: 2005..The aim of the mentored training period is to acquire the necessary intellectual and technical skills to transition into independent investigation of urogenital development and its relationships to urologic disease. ..
- HAND GENES IN CARDIAC DEVELOPMENTWilliam Pu; Fiscal Year: 2004..This experience, and the information generated in this plan, will launch the applicant's career as an independent investigator. ..
- Regulation of Parietal Endoderm MigrationLaura Grabel; Fiscal Year: 2006..We will therefore examine PE outgrowth on Matrigel, plus and minus fibronectin, with a particular focus on examining the role of integrins in promoting directed versus random migration. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Expression profiling of human isletsKLAUS KAESTNER; Fiscal Year: 2006....
- ROLES OF BMP4 & ITS REGULATION DURING TOOTH DEVELOPMENTJian Feng; Fiscal Year: 2003..b>Bone morphogenetic protein 4 (Bmp4), a crucial signal molecule in development of many tissues, is very likely required at early ..
- Development of C57BL/6 ES cell technology for high thoughput use.KLAUS KAESTNER; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- ROLES OF BMP4 AND ITS REGULATION IN TOOTH DEVELOPMENTJian Feng; Fiscal Year: 2004..The research plan will test the hypothesis that the Msx1-BMP4 signaling pathway is a key component in epithelial-mesenchymal interactions essential to tooth formation, and that ..
- Investigating the Role of Tbx1 in Ear DevelopmentEvan Braunstein; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- FUNCTIONAL GENOMICS OF THE BETA-CELLKLAUS KAESTNER; Fiscal Year: 2007..The new resources generated through this project will be made available to the NIDDK-funded biotechnology centers and the diabetes research community at large. ..
- Liver Biology, Development and DiseaseKLAUS KAESTNER; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- PATHOBIOCHEMISTRY OF PROTEOGLYCANS IN DEVELOPMENTScott Saunders; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- FUNCTION OF A GROWTH INDUCED GENE IN LIVER REGENERATIONKLAUS KAESTNER; Fiscal Year: 2003....