Genomes and Genes
beta carotene 15 15 dioxygenase
Gene Symbol: beta carotene 15 15 dioxygenase
Description: beta-carotene oxygenase 1
Alias: Bcdo, Bcdo1, Bcmo1, CMO1, Cmoi, beta-CD, betaCMOOX, beta,beta-carotene 15,15'-dioxygenase, beta,beta-carotene 15,15'-monooxygenase, beta-carotene 15, 15'-dioxygenase 1, beta-carotene 15,15' dioxygenase, beta-carotene 15,15'-monooxygenase, beta-carotene cleavage enzyme, beta-carotene dioxygenase 1, carotenoid-15,15'-oxygenase
- Expression and characterization of a murine enzyme able to cleave beta-carotene. The formation of retinoidsJ Paik
Department of Medicine, Columbia University, New York, New York 10032, USA
J Biol Chem 276:32160-8. 2001..5 and 8.5 days postcoitus. This work offers new insights for understanding the biochemistry of carotene cleavage to retinoids...
- Identification, expression, and substrate specificity of a mammalian beta-carotene 15,15'-dioxygenaseT M Redmond
Laboratory of Retinal Cell and Molecular Biology, NEI, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
J Biol Chem 276:6560-5. 2001..Identification of beta-CD in an accessible model organism will create new opportunities to study vitamin A metabolism...
- Knockout of the Bcmo1 gene results in an inflammatory response in female lung, which is suppressed by dietary beta-caroteneYvonne G J van Helden
Department of Human and Animal Physiology, Wageningen University, PO Box 338, 6700 AH, Wageningen, The Netherlands
Cell Mol Life Sci 67:2039-56. 2010Beta-carotene 15,15'-monooxygenase 1 knockout (Bcmo1 (-/-)) mice accumulate beta-carotene (BC) similarly to humans, whereas wild-type (Bcmo1 (+/+)) mice efficiently cleave BC...
- ISX is a retinoic acid-sensitive gatekeeper that controls intestinal beta,beta-carotene absorption and vitamin A productionGlenn P Lobo
Department of Pharmacology, School of Medicine, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio 44160, USA
FASEB J 24:1656-66. 2010..ISX then repressed the expression of SR-B1 and the carotenoid-15,15'-oxygenase Bcmo1. BCMO1 acts downstream of SR-BI and converts absorbed beta,beta-carotene to the retinoic acid precursor, ..
- Lycopene biodistribution is altered in 15,15'-carotenoid monooxygenase knockout miceBrian L Lindshield
Division of Nutritional Sciences, University of Illinois, Urbana, IL 61801, USA
J Nutr 138:2367-71. 2008..In conclusion, CMO I KO mice fed low levels of vitamin A have altered lycopene biodistribution and isomer patterns and do not cleave beta-carotene to vitamin A at appreciable levels...
- In vitro and in vivo characterization of retinoid synthesis from beta-caroteneYvette Fierce
Department of Comparative Medicine, University of Washington, Raitt Hall 324, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
Arch Biochem Biophys 472:126-38. 2008..dietary provitamin A carotenoids, like beta-carotene, through the actions of beta-carotene-15,15'-monooxygenase (BCMO1)...
- CMO1 deficiency abolishes vitamin A production from beta-carotene and alters lipid metabolism in miceSusanne Hessel
Institute of Biology I, Animal Physiology and Neurobiology, Hauptstrasse 1, D 79104 Freiburg, Germany
J Biol Chem 282:33553-61. 2007..Two different carotenoid-cleaving enzymes were identified in mammals, the classical carotenoid-15,15'-oxygenase (CMO1) and a putative carotenoid-9',10'-oxygenase (CMO2)...
- Identification of beta-carotene 15, 15'-monooxygenase as a peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor target geneAna Boulanger
Laboratory of Retinal Cell and Molecular Biology, National Eye Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 2740, USA
FASEB J 17:1304-6. 2003....
- Key role of conserved histidines in recombinant mouse beta-carotene 15,15'-monooxygenase-1 activityEugenia Poliakov
Laboratory of Retinal Cell and Molecular Biology, NEI, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892 0706, USA
J Biol Chem 280:29217-23. 2005Alignment of sequences of vertebrate beta-carotene 15,15'-monooxygenase-1 (BCMO1) and related oxygenases revealed four perfectly conserved histidines and five acidic residues (His172, His237, His308, His514, Asp52, Glu140, Glu314, Glu405,..
- Evidence for compartmentalization of mammalian carotenoid metabolismGrzegorz Palczewski
Department of Biochemistry
FASEB J 28:4457-69. 2014..Thus, we provide evidence for a compartmentalization of carotenoid metabolism that prevents competition between BCO1 and BCO2 for the provitamin and the production of noncanonical β-carotene metabolites...
- Cardiac dysfunction in β-carotene-15,15'-dioxygenase-deficient mice is associated with altered retinoid and lipid metabolismSeung Ah Lee
Department of Medicine, College of Physicians and Surgeons, Columbia University, New York, New York
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 307:H1675-84. 2014..Thus, BCO1 modulates heart metabolism and function, possibly by altering levels of cofactors required for the actions of nuclear hormone receptors. ..
- Wolfberries potentiate mitophagy and enhance mitochondrial biogenesis leading to prevention of hepatic steatosis in obese mice: the role of AMP-activated protein kinase α2 subunitDingbo Lin
Department of Nutritional Sciences, Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, OK, USA
Mol Nutr Food Res 58:1005-15. 2014..The aim of this study is to investigate whether AMP-activated protein kinase α2 (AMPKα2) is essential for wolfberry's protective effects on mitochondrial dysfunction and subsequent hepatic steatosis in mice...
- Tissue- and sex-specific effects of β-carotene 15,15' oxygenase (BCO1) on retinoid and lipid metabolism in adult and developing miceYoun Kyung Kim
Department of Food Science and Rutgers Center for Lipid Research, Rutgers University, New Brunswick, NJ 08091, USA
Arch Biochem Biophys 572:11-8. 2015....
- Two carotenoid oxygenases contribute to mammalian provitamin A metabolismJaume Amengual
From the Department of Pharmacology, Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, Cleveland, Ohio 44106
J Biol Chem 288:34081-96. 2013..In conclusion, our study provides evidence that mammals employ both carotenoid oxygenases to synthesize retinoids from provitamin A carotenoids. ..
- Genetic ablation of carotene oxygenases and consumption of lycopene or tomato powder diets modulate carotenoid and lipid metabolism in miceNikki A Ford
Department of Nutritional Sciences, University of Texas at Austin, Austin TX 78723, USA
Nutr Res 33:733-42. 2013....
- A genetic dissection of intestinal fat-soluble vitamin and carotenoid absorptionM Airanthi K Widjaja-Adhi
Department of Pharmacology, School of Medicine, Case Western Reserve University, 10900 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
Hum Mol Genet 24:3206-19. 2015..Thus, our findings provide a molecular framework for the controversial relationship between genetics and fat-soluble vitamin status in the human population. ..
- Genetic dissection in a mouse model reveals interactions between carotenoids and lipid metabolismGrzegorz Palczewski
Departments of Biochemistry School of Medicine, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH
J Lipid Res 57:1684-95. 2016..Thus, we observed that accumulation of parent carotenoids interacts with lipid metabolism and that structurally related carotenoids display distinct biological functions in mammals. ..
- The retinaldehyde reductase DHRS3 is essential for preventing the formation of excess retinoic acid during embryonic developmentSara E Billings
1Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, School of Pharmacy, 5060 Malott Hall, 1251 Wescoe Hall Dr, University of Kansas, Lawrence, KS 66045, USA
FASEB J 27:4877-89. 2013..These data demonstrate that the reduction of retinaldehyde by DHRS3 is critical for preventing formation of excess ATRA during embryonic development...
- Loss of β-carotene 15,15'-oxygenase in developing mouse tissues alters esterification of retinol, cholesterol and diacylglycerolsJoseph L Dixon
Department of Nutritional Sciences, Rutgers University, New Brunswick, NJ 08901, USA Rutgers Center for Lipid Research, Rutgers University, New Brunswick, NJ 08901, USA
Biochim Biophys Acta 1841:34-43. 2014We provide novel insights into the function(s) of β-carotene-15,15'-oxygenase (CMOI) during embryogenesis...
- An interaction between carotene-15,15'-monooxygenase expression and consumption of a tomato or lycopene-containing diet impacts serum and testicular testosteroneNikki A Ford
Division of Nutritional Sciences, University of Illinois Urbana Champaign, Urbana, IL 61801, USA
Int J Cancer 131:E143-8. 2012..Furthermore, carefully controlled studies with tomato products and lycopene in genetically defined murine models may elucidate important diet × genetic interactions that may impact prostate cancer risk...
- Physiological and genomic consequences of adrenergic deficiency during embryonic/fetal development in mice: impact on retinoic acid metabolismKingsley Osuala
Burnett School of Biomedical Sciences, University of Central Florida College of Medicine, Orlando, Florida 32827, USA
Physiol Genomics 44:934-47. 2012....
- Hepatic stellate cells are an important cellular site for β-carotene conversion to retinoidIgor Shmarakov
Department of Medicine, Columbia University, New York, NY 10032, USA
Arch Biochem Biophys 504:3-10. 2010..To gain understanding of this, we investigated whether β-carotene-15,15'-monooxygenase (Bcmo1) and β-carotene-9',10'-monooxygenase (Bcmo2) are expressed in HSCs...
- Cloning and expression of beta,beta-carotene 15,15'-dioxygenaseA Wyss
Vitamins and Fine Chemicals Division, F Hoffmann LaRoche Ltd, Basel, 4070, Switzerland
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 271:334-6. 2000..We cloned the first eukaryotic beta,beta-carotene 15,15'-dioxygenase which symmetrically cleaves beta-carotene at the 15,15'-double bond...
- Expression pattern and localization of beta,beta-carotene 15,15'-dioxygenase in different tissuesA Wyss
F Hoffmann La Roche Ltd, Vitamins and Fine Chemicals Division, 4070 Basel, Switzerland
Biochem J 354:521-9. 2001..These new findings demonstrate that beta,beta-carotene 15,15'-dioxygenase is also expressed in epithelial structures, where it serves to provide the tissue-specific vitamin A supply...
- Cloning and characterization of a human beta,beta-carotene-15,15'-dioxygenase that is highly expressed in the retinal pigment epitheliumW Yan
Department of Ophthalmology, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland, 21287, USA
Genomics 72:193-202. 2001..beta,beta-Carotene-15,15'-dioxygenase (Bcdo), the enzyme that catalyzes the oxidative cleavage of beta,beta-carotene into two retinal molecules, plays an ..
- Provitamin A conversion to retinal via the beta,beta-carotene-15,15'-oxygenase (bcox) is essential for pattern formation and differentiation during zebrafish embryogenesisJohanna M Lampert
Neurobiology and Animal Physiology, Institute of Biology I, University of Freiburg, D 79104 Freiburg, Germany
Development 130:2173-86. 2003....
- Measurement of retinoids and beta-carotene 15,15'-dioxygenase activity in HR-1 hairless mouse skin with UV exposureAtsuko Takeda
Department of Pediatrics, Osaka Medical College, 2 7 Daigakumachi, Takatsuki, Osaka 569 8686, Japan
J Nutr Sci Vitaminol (Tokyo) 49:69-72. 2003..In conclusion, the elevation of beta-carotene 15,15'-dioxygenase activity in hairless mice after UV exposure may be a response to reduction of the skin retinoid concentration...
- Isx participates in the maintenance of vitamin A metabolism by regulation of beta-carotene 15,15'-monooxygenase (Bcmo1) expressionYusuke Seino
Division of Cellular and Molecular Medicine, Kobe University Graduate School of Medicine, Kobe 650 0017, Japan
J Biol Chem 283:4905-11. 2008..14.99.36 Bcmo1) and the class B type I scavenger receptor, which are involved in vitamin A synthesis and carotenoid uptake, ..
- Cadmium induces retinoic acid signaling by regulating retinoic acid metabolic gene expressionYuxia Cui
Comparative Genomics Group, Laboratory of Molecular Toxicology, NIEHS, National Institutes of Health, Durham, North Carolina 27709, USA
J Biol Chem 284:24925-32. 2009..In C. elegans, bcmo-1 was expressed in the intestine and was cadmium inducible. Similarly, in Hepa 1-6 cells, Bcmo1 was induced by cadmium...
- Biochemical evidence for the tyrosine involvement in cationic intermediate stabilization in mouse beta-carotene 15, 15'-monooxygenaseEugenia Poliakov
National Eye Institute, NIH, Bethesda, MD 20892 0608, USA
BMC Biochem 10:31. 2009beta-carotene 15,15'-monooxygenase (BCMO1) catalyzes the crucial first step in vitamin A biosynthesis in animals...
- Beta-carotene affects gene expression in lungs of male and female Bcmo1 (-/-) mice in opposite directionsYvonne G J van Helden
Human and Animal Physiology, Wageningen University, PO Box 338, 6700 AH Wageningen, The Netherlands
Cell Mol Life Sci 68:489-504. 2011..gene expression analysis on lung tissue of BC supplemented beta-carotene 15,15'-monooxygenase 1 knockout (Bcmo1 (-/-)) mice, which are-like humans-able to accumulate BC...
- Downregulation of Fzd6 and Cthrc1 and upregulation of olfactory receptors and protocadherins by dietary beta-carotene in lungs of Bcmo1-/- miceYvonne G J van Helden
Wageningen University, The Netherlands
Carcinogenesis 31:1329-37. 2010..We used a beta-carotene 15,15'-monooxygenase 1 (Bcmo1) knockout mouse (Bcmo1(-/-)) model, unable to convert BC to retinoids, and wild-type mice (Bcmo1(+/+)) mice to ..
- Beta-carotene reduces body adiposity of mice via BCMO1Jaume Amengual
Laboratory of Molecular Biology, Nutrition and Biotechnology, Universitat de les Illes Balears and CIBER de Fisiopatología de la Obesidad y Nutrición CIBEROBN, Palma de Mallorca, Spain
PLoS ONE 6:e20644. 2011..Two BC metabolizing enzymes, the BC-15,15'-oxygenase (Bcmo1) and the BC-9',10'-oxygenase (Bcdo2) are expressed in adipocytes...
- β-Carotene and its cleavage enzyme β-carotene-15,15'-oxygenase (CMOI) affect retinoid metabolism in developing tissuesYoun Kyung Kim
Department of Food Science, Rutgers University, New Brunswick, New Jersey 08901, USA
FASEB J 25:1641-52. 2011..Carotene is the major human dietary provitamin A. β-Carotene-15,15'-oxygenase (CMOI) has been proposed as the main enzyme generating retinoid from β-carotene in vivo...
- Boc modifies the holoprosencephaly spectrum of Cdo mutant miceWei Zhang
Department of Developmental and Regenerative Biology, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY 10029, USA
Dis Model Mech 4:368-80. 2011....
- An electrokinetic route to rapid synthesis of nickel hydroxide and nickel oxide nanotubesXing Hua Li
Key Laboratory of Analytical Chemistry for Life Science, School of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering, Nanjing University, Nanjing 210093, PR China
J Nanosci Nanotechnol 10:5191-5. 2010..The transmission electron microscope (TEM) and scanning electron microscope (SEM) were used to characterize the morphology and structure of the nanotubes...