Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Bax
Description: BCL2-associated X protein
Alias: apoptosis regulator BAX
Publications188 found, 100 shown here
- Bcl-2 heterodimerizes in vivo with a conserved homolog, Bax, that accelerates programmed cell deathZ N Oltvai
Howard Hughes Medical Institute Department of Medicine, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri 63110
Cell 74:609-19. 1993..We identified an associated 21 kd protein partner, Bax, that has extensive amino acid homology with Bcl-2, focused within highly conserved domains I and II...
- Molecular cloning and functional analysis of the murine bax gene promoterE Igata
Department of Preventive Medicine, Kyoto Prefectural University of Medicine, Japan
Gene 238:407-15. 1999Bcl-2-associated X protein (Bax) is a proapoptotic protein and is suggested to have an important role in carcinogenesis...
- Peripheral NT3 signaling is required for ETS protein expression and central patterning of proprioceptive sensory afferentsTushar D Patel
Neuroscience Center, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC 27599, USA
Neuron 38:403-16. 2003..ganglion (DRG) neurons, NT3(-/-) mice were crossed with mice carrying a targeted deletion of the proapoptotic gene Bax. In Bax(-/-)/NT3(-/-) mice, NT3-dependent neurons survived and expressed the proprioceptive neuronal marker ..
- Phosphorylation of Bax Ser184 by Akt regulates its activity and apoptosis in neutrophilsShyra J Gardai
Program in Cell Biology, Department of Pediatrics, National Jewish Medical and Research Center, 1400 Jackson Street, Denver, CO 80206, USA
J Biol Chem 279:21085-95. 2004Although important for apoptosis, the mechanism of Bax regulation is poorly understood. This study demonstrates that phosphorylation of Ser(184) regulates Bax activity...
- Specific requirement for Bax, not Bak, in Myc-induced apoptosis and tumor suppression in vivoTobias B Dansen
Cancer Research Institute and Department of Cellular and Molecular Pharmacology, Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of California at San Francisco, San Francisco, California 94143 0875, USA
J Biol Chem 281:10890-5. 2006b>Bax and Bak comprise the mitochondrial gateway for apoptosis induced by diverse stimuli...
- Stepwise activation of BAX and BAK by tBID, BIM, and PUMA initiates mitochondrial apoptosisHyungjin Kim
Molecular Oncology, Department of Medicine, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Mol Cell 36:487-99. 2009While activation of BAX/BAK by BH3-only molecules (BH3s) is essential for mitochondrial apoptosis, the underlying mechanisms remain unsettled...
- Programmed anuclear cell death delimits platelet life spanKylie D Mason
Molecular Genetics of Cancer Division, The Walter and Eliza Hall Institute of Medical Research, Parkville, Victoria 3050, Australia
Cell 128:1173-86. 2007....
- Proapoptotic BAX and BAK modulate the unfolded protein response by a direct interaction with IRE1alphaClaudio Hetz
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Dana Farber Cancer Institute, and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Science 312:572-6. 2006..We investigated UPR signaling events in mice in the absence of the proapoptotic BCL-2 family members BAX and BAK [double knockout (DKO)]...
- Widespread elimination of naturally occurring neuronal death in Bax-deficient miceF A White
Department of Neurology, Center for the Study of Nervous System Injury, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
J Neurosci 18:1428-39. 1998The proapoptotic molecule BAX is required for death of sympathetic and motor neurons in the setting of trophic factor deprivation. Furthermore, adult Bax-/- mice have more motor neurons than do their wild-type counterparts...
- Murine cytomegalovirus m38.5 protein inhibits Bax-mediated cell deathIgor Jurak
Division of Viral Infections, Robert Koch Institute, Nordufer 20, 13353 Berlin, Germany
J Virol 82:4812-22. 2008..Using fibroblasts deficient in the proapoptotic Bcl-2 family proteins Bak and/or Bax, we further demonstrated that m38...
- Essential role of BAX,BAK in B cell homeostasis and prevention of autoimmune diseaseOsamu Takeuchi
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Dana Farber Cancer Institute, and Department of Pathology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:11272-7. 2005..Here we show proapoptotic BCL-2 family members BAX and BAK are essential for regulating the number of B cells at both immature and mature developmental stages...
- Two distinct pathways regulate platelet phosphatidylserine exposure and procoagulant functionSimone M Schoenwaelder
Australian Centre for Blood Diseases, Monash University, 89 Commercial Road, Melbourne, Victoria 3004, Australia
Blood 114:663-6. 2009..To clarify this, we investigated the consequence of removing the essential mediators of apoptosis, Bak and Bax, or directly inducing apoptosis with the BH3 mimetic compound ABT-737...
- Axonal degeneration is regulated by the apoptotic machinery or a NAD+-sensitive pathway in insects and mammalsZohar Schoenmann
Department of Biological Chemistry, Weizmann Institute of Science, Rehovot 76100, Israel
J Neurosci 30:6375-86. 2010..The proapoptotic protein BAX is a key element in both pathways as its genetic ablation protected sensory axons against developmental ..
- Cell death in developmentD L Vaux
The Walter and Eliza Hall Institute of Medical Research, Royal Melbourne Hospital Victoria, Australia
Cell 96:245-54. 1999
- Hexokinase-mitochondria interaction mediated by Akt is required to inhibit apoptosis in the presence or absence of Bax and BakNathan Majewski
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Genetics, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, Illinois 60607, USA
Mol Cell 16:819-30. 2004..of hexokinase from mitochondria potently induce cytochrome c release and apoptosis, even in the absence of Bax and Bak...
- Bak but not Bax is essential for Bcl-xS-induced apoptosisL Lindenboim
Department of Neurobiochemistry, George S Wise Faculty of Life Sciences, Tel Aviv University, 69978 Ramat Aviv, Tel Aviv, Israel
Cell Death Differ 12:713-23. 2005..used embryonic fibroblasts derived from mice deficient in the multidomain proapoptotic members of the Bcl-2 family (Bax and Bak) and the apoptotic components of the apoptosome (Apaf-1 and caspase-9) to unravel the cascade of events by ..
- Development of sensory neurons in the absence of NGF/TrkA signaling in vivoT D Patel
University of North Carolina Neuroscience Center, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill 27599, USA
Neuron 25:345-57. 2000The neurotrophin survival dependence of peripheral neurons in vitro is regulated by the proapoptotic BCL-2 homolog BAX. To study peripheral neuron development in the absence of neurotrophin signaling, we have generated mice that are ..
- A Bax/Bak-independent mechanism of cytochrome c releaseTakeshi Mizuta
Laboratory of Molecular Genetics, Department of Medical Genetics, Osaka University Medical School, Osaka 565 0871, Japan
J Biol Chem 282:16623-30. 2007b>Bax and Bak are multidomain pro-apoptotic members of the Bcl-2 family of proteins that regulate mitochondria-mediated apoptosis by direct modulation of mitochondrial membrane permeability...
- Direct activation of Bax by p53 mediates mitochondrial membrane permeabilization and apoptosisJerry E Chipuk
Division of Cellular Immunology, La Jolla Institute for Allergy and Immunology, 10355 Science Center Drive, San Diego, CA 92121, USA
Science 303:1010-4. 2004..p53 directly activated the proapoptotic Bcl-2 protein Bax in the absence of other proteins to permeabilize mitochondria and engage the apoptotic program...
- Proapoptotic BAX and BAK regulate the type 1 inositol trisphosphate receptor and calcium leak from the endoplasmic reticulumScott A Oakes
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Departments of Pathology and Medicine, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:105-10. 2005Proapoptotic BCL-2 family members BAX and BAK are required for the initiation of mitochondrial dysfunction during apoptosis and for maintaining the endoplasmic reticulum (ER) Ca(2+) stores necessary for Ca(2+)-dependent cell death...
- Bax directly induces release of cytochrome c from isolated mitochondriaJ M Jurgensmeier
Program on Apoptosis and Cell Death Research, The Burnham Institute, 10901 North Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 95:4997-5002. 1998b>Bax is a pro-apoptotic member of the Bcl-2 protein family that resides in the outer mitochondrial membrane...
- A three-helix homo-oligomerization domain containing BH3 and BH1 is responsible for the apoptotic activity of BaxNicholas M George
Eppley Institute for Research in Cancer and Allied Diseases, University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, Nebraska 68198, USA
Genes Dev 21:1937-48. 2007Homo-oligomerization of Bax (or Bak) has been hypothesized to be responsible for cell death through the mitochondria-dependent apoptosis pathway...
- Misplacement of Purkinje cells during postnatal development in Bax knock-out mice: a novel role for programmed cell death in the nervous system?A Rong Jung
Department of Anatomy, BK21 Program, Korea University College of Medicine, Sungbuk Gu, Seoul 136 705, Korea
J Neurosci 28:2941-8. 2008..To address this question, we examined postnatal development of the cerebellum in Bax-knock-out (KO) mice in which the PCD of PC has been reported to be selectively reduced or eliminated, whereas EGCs ..
- Neuromuscular development after the prevention of naturally occurring neuronal death by Bax deletionWoong Sun
Department of Neurobiology and Anatomy, and Neuroscience Program, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston Salem, North Carolina 27157, USA
J Neurosci 23:7298-310. 2003..Because motoneurons (MNs) in Bax knock-out (Bax KO) mice fail to undergo PCD in the face of normal target muscle development, we asked whether the ..
- A stapled BID BH3 helix directly binds and activates BAXLoren D Walensky
Department of Pediatric Oncology, Dana Farber Cancer Institute and Children s Hospital Boston, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Mol Cell 24:199-210. 2006b>BAX is a multidomain proapoptotic BCL-2 family protein that resides in the cytosol until activated by an incompletely understood trigger mechanism, which facilitates BAX translocation to mitochondria and downstream death events...
- Sequential activation of poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase 1, calpains, and Bax is essential in apoptosis-inducing factor-mediated programmed necrosisRana S Moubarak
Apoptose et Systeme Immunitaire, CNRS URA 1961, Institut Pasteur, 25 rue du Dr Roux, 75015 Paris, France
Mol Cell Biol 27:4844-62. 2007..knockout cells, we identified and describe here two essential molecular links between PARP and AIF: calpains and Bax. Alkylating DNA damage initiated a p53-independent form of death involving PARP-1 but not PARP-2...
- Analysis of endogenous Bax complexes during apoptosis using blue native PAGE: implications for Bax activation and oligomerizationAnthony J Valentijn
Wellcome Trust Centre for Cell Matrix Research, Faculty of Life Sciences, University of Manchester, Manchester M13 9PT, UK
Biochem J 412:347-57. 2008b>Bax, a pro-apoptotic Bcl-2 family protein, translocates to mitochondria during apoptosis, where it causes MOMP (mitochondrial outer membrane permeabilization)...
- Diesel exhaust particles induce apoptosis via p53 and Mdm2 in J774A.1 macrophage cell lineYoung Pil Yun
Department of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, St Mary s Hospital, The Catholic University of Korea, Seoul 150 713, Republic of Korea
Toxicol In Vitro 23:21-8. 2009..In contrast, the pro-apoptotic protein Bcl-2-associated X protein (Bax), an endogenous target of p53-dependent transcriptional activation, was continuously upregulated at the mRNA and ..
- Islet-1 is required for the maturation, proliferation, and survival of the endocrine pancreasAiping Du
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Diabetes 58:2059-69. 2009....
- Pseudomonas exotoxin A-mediated apoptosis is Bak dependent and preceded by the degradation of Mcl-1Xing Du
Laboratory of Molecular Biology, National Cancer Institute, 37 Convent Drive, Bethesda, MD 20892 4264, USA
Mol Cell Biol 30:3444-52. 2010..Here, we utilized mouse embryo fibroblasts (MEFs) deficient in Bak and Bax to determine the roles of these proteins in cell death induced by PE...
- Bax ablation prevents dopaminergic neurodegeneration in the 1-methyl- 4-phenyl-1,2,3,6-tetrahydropyridine mouse model of Parkinson's diseaseM Vila
Department of Neurology, Columbia University, 650 West 168th Street, New York, NY 10032, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 98:2837-42. 2001..Here, we show that the pro-apoptotic protein Bax is highly expressed in the SNpc and that its ablation attenuates SNpc developmental neuronal apoptosis...
- Deficiency in Bak and Bax perturbs thymic selection and lymphoid homeostasisJeffrey C Rathmell
Abramson Family Cancer Research Institute, Department of Cancer Biology, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Nat Immunol 3:932-9. 2002Bak and Bax are required and redundant regulators of an intrinsic mitochondrial cell death pathway. To analyze this pathway in T cell development and homeostasis, we reconstituted mice with Bak(-/-)Bax<(-/-) hematopoietic cells...
- Caspase-2 cleavage of BID is a critical apoptotic signal downstream of endoplasmic reticulum stressJohn Paul Upton
Department of Pathology, Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, California 94143, USA
Mol Cell Biol 28:3943-51. 2008..reticulum (ER) and triggers cell death through activation of the multidomain proapoptotic BCL-2 proteins BAX and BAK at the outer mitochondrial membrane...
- Bax in murine thymus is a soluble monomeric protein that displays differential detergent-induced conformationsY T Hsu
Biochemistry Section, Surgical Neurology Branch, NINDS, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
J Biol Chem 273:10777-83. 1998Bcl-2, Bcl-XL, and Bax are members of the Bcl-2 family that play important roles in apoptosis regulation. These proteins are believed to be membrane-bound and to regulate apoptosis through formation of homo- and heterodimers...
- Susceptibility to neurodegeneration in a glaucoma is modified by Bax gene dosageRichard T Libby
The Jackson Laboratory, Bar Harbor, Maine, USA
PLoS Genet 1:17-26. 2005..DBA/2J mice deficient in the proapoptotic molecule BCL2-associated X protein (BAX) were used to investigate the roles of BAX-mediated cell death pathways in glaucoma...
- A hierarchical NGF signaling cascade controls Ret-dependent and Ret-independent events during development of nonpeptidergic DRG neuronsWenqin Luo
The Solomon H Snyder Department of Neuroscience, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Neuron 54:739-54. 2007..These findings support a model in which NGF controls maturation of nonpeptidergic DRG neurons through a combination of GFR/Ret-dependent and -independent signaling pathways...
- Placement of the BCL2 family member BAX in the death pathway of sympathetic neurons activated by trophic factor deprivationT L Deckwerth
Department of Neurology, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
Exp Neurol 152:150-62. 1998The BCL2 family member BAX is required for the induction of apoptosis in neonatal sympathetic neurons after NGF withdrawal. Bax-deficient sympathetic neurons are NGF-independent for survival...
- Apoptosis, axonal growth defects, and degeneration of peripheral neurons in mice lacking CREBBonnie E Lonze
Department of Neuroscience, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Neuron 34:371-85. 2002..Thus, during their period of neurotrophin dependency, peripheral neurons require CREB-mediated gene expression for both survival and growth in vivo...
- Bax channel inhibitors prevent mitochondrion-mediated apoptosis and protect neurons in a model of global brain ischemiaClaudio Hetz
Serono Pharmaceutical Research Institute, 14 Chemin des Aulx, CH 1228 Plan les Ouates, Geneva, Switzerland
J Biol Chem 280:42960-70. 2005..This pathway is triggered by activation of pro-apoptotic Bcl-2 family members such as Bax. Here, we have identified and synthesized two low molecular weight compounds that block Bax channel activity...
- Dominant inheritance of retinal ganglion cell resistance to optic nerve crush in miceYan Li
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin, USA
BMC Neurosci 8:19. 2007..Because earlier studies had implicated Bax as a susceptibility allele for ganglion cell death in the chronic neurodegenerative disease glaucoma, we conducted ..
- Bax-dependent and -independent death of motoneurons after facial nerve injury in adult miceOk Hee Park
Department of Anatomy, College of Medicine, Korea University, 126 1 Anam Dong, Sungbuk Gu, Seoul, Korea 136 705
Eur J Neurosci 26:1421-32. 2007..To evaluate the contribution of apoptotic death, we evaluated MN responses in Bax-knockout (KO) mice in which neurons are rescued from apoptotic death...
- The distribution and behavior of extragonadal primordial germ cells in Bax mutant mice suggest a novel origin for sacrococcygeal germ cell tumorsChristopher Runyan
Division of Developmental Biology, Cincinnati Children s Hospital Research Foundation, Cincinnati, OH 45229, USA
Int J Dev Biol 52:333-44. 2008..that do not reach the genital ridges rapidly die by a wave of apoptosis that requires the pro-apoptotic protein Bax. In Bax-null embryos, large numbers of ectopic (extragonadal) germ cells fail to die...
- Bax can antagonize Bcl-XL during etoposide and cisplatin-induced cell death independently of its heterodimerization with Bcl-XLP L Simonian
Department of Pathology and Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109, USA
J Biol Chem 271:22764-72. 1996b>Bax, a member of the Bcl-2 family of proteins, has been shown to promote apoptosis while other members of the family, including Bcl-XL and Bcl-2, inhibit cell death induced by a variety of stimuli...
- Suppression of developmental retinal cell death but not of photoreceptor degeneration in Bax-deficient miceJ Mosinger Ogilvie
Central Institute for the Deaf, St Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 39:1713-20. 1998b>Bax, a member of the Bcl2 family of cell death regulators, induces cell death by promoting the induction of apoptosis...
- Bax interacts with the permeability transition pore to induce permeability transition and cytochrome c release in isolated mitochondriaM Narita
Department of Medical Genetics, Biomedical Research Center, Osaka University Medical School, 2 2 Yamadaoka, Suita, Osaka 565 0871, Japan
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 95:14681-6. 1998..Using isolated mitochondria, we found that recombinant Bax and Bak, proapoptotic members of the Bcl-2 family, induced mitochondrial Deltapsi loss, swelling, and cytochrome c ..
- Haploid loss of bax leads to accelerated mammary tumor development in C3(1)/SV40-TAg transgenic mice: reduction in protective apoptotic response at the preneoplastic stageM A Shibata
Laboratory of Cell Regulation and Carcinogenesis, Division of Basic Sciences, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
EMBO J 18:2692-701. 1999..observed during the development of preneoplastic mammary lesions is associated with a significant elevation in Bax expression in C3(1)/SV40 large T antigen (TAg) transgenic mice...
- Neurodegeneration in Lurcher mice occurs via multiple cell death pathwaysM L Doughty
Laboratory of Molecular Biology and Howard Hughes Medical Institute, The Rockefeller University, New York, New York 10021, USA
J Neurosci 20:3687-94. 2000..We have used mice carrying null mutations of both the Bax and p53 genes to examine the roles of these genes in cell loss in lurcher animals...
- MAP-1, a novel proapoptotic protein containing a BH3-like motif that associates with Bax through its Bcl-2 homology domainsK O Tan
Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology, 30 Medical Dr, Singapore 117609, Republic of Singapore
J Biol Chem 276:2802-7. 2001A novel Bax-associating protein, named MAP-1 (Modulator of Apoptosis), has been identified in a yeast two-hybrid screen...
- Bax loss impairs Myc-induced apoptosis and circumvents the selection of p53 mutations during Myc-mediated lymphomagenesisC M Eischen
Department of Biochemistry, St Jude Children s Research Hospital, Memphis, Tennessee 38105, USA
Mol Cell Biol 21:7653-62. 2001..Here we report that the proapoptotic Bcl-2 family member Bax also mediates apoptosis triggered by Myc and inhibits Myc-induced lymphomagenesis...
- A conserved intronic response element mediates direct p53-dependent transcriptional activation of both the human and murine bax genesEdward C Thornborrow
Derald H Ruttenberg Cancer Center, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY 10029, USA
Oncogene 21:990-9. 2002Both the human and the mouse bax promoters contain p53 binding sites which are sufficient to confer p53-dependent transcriptional activation in a heterologous setting...
- BAX and BAK regulation of endoplasmic reticulum Ca2+: a control point for apoptosisLuca Scorrano
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Department of Pathology and Medicine, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Science 300:135-9. 2003b>BAX and BAK are "multidomain" proapoptotic proteins that initiate mitochondrial dysfunction but also localize to the endoplasmic reticulum (ER)...
- Involvement of proapoptotic molecules Bax and Bak in tumor necrosis factor-related apoptosis-inducing ligand (TRAIL)-induced mitochondrial disruption and apoptosis: differential regulation of cytochrome c and Smac/DIABLO releaseKarthikeyan Kandasamy
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Maryland, School of Pharmacy, Greenebaum Cancer Center, Baltimore, Maryland 21201 1180, USA
Cancer Res 63:1712-21. 2003..of BID, a "BH3-domain-only" Bcl-2 family member, triggers the oligomerization of proapoptotic family members Bak or Bax, resulting in the release of mitochondrial proteins to cytosol...
- Cleavage of Bax to p18 Bax accelerates stress-induced apoptosis, and a cathepsin-like protease may rapidly degrade p18 BaxXuefang Cao
University of Florida Shands Cancer Center, UF Shands Cancer Center, Gainesville, USA
Blood 102:2605-14. 2003b>Bax is cleaved by calpain at aspartate 33 (Asp33) to yield p18 Bax during stress-induced apoptosis. To assess the role of p18 Bax in apoptosis, an ecdysone-inducible expression system was generated...
- Spatial and temporal changes in Bax subcellular localization during anoikisAnthony J Valentijn
Wellcome Trust Centre for Cell Matrix Research, School of Biological Sciences, University of Manchester, 3 35 Stopford Building, Oxford Road, Manchester M13 9PT, UK
J Cell Biol 162:599-612. 2003b>Bax, a member of the Bcl-2 family, translocates to mitochondria during apoptosis, where it forms oligomers which are thought to release apoptogenic factors such as cytochrome c...
- Integral role of Noxa in p53-mediated apoptotic responseTsukasa Shibue
Department of Immunology, Graduate School of Medicine and Faculty of Medicine, University of Tokyo, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 0033, Japan
Genes Dev 17:2233-8. 2003..apoptosis in response to DNA damage, which was further increased by introducing an additional null zygosity for Bax. These MEFs also showed increased sensitivity to oncogene-induced cell transformation in vitro...
- Response of motoneurons to neonatal sciatic nerve axotomy in Bax-knockout miceWoong Sun
Department of Neurobiology and Anatomy and Neuroscience Program, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston Salem, NC 27157, USA
Mol Cell Neurosci 24:875-86. 2003Neonatal motoneurons (MNs) die rapidly after axotomy, a response that is mediated by the pro-apoptotic gene Bax and is followed by a mitochondria-mediated apoptotic cascade...
- Preventing retinal detachment-associated photoreceptor cell loss in Bax-deficient miceLiu Yang
Schepens Eye Research Institute, Department of Ophthalmology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 45:648-54. 2004....
- Pea3 transcription factor cooperates with USF-1 in regulation of the murine bax transcription without binding to an Ets-binding siteVirginie Firlej
Laboratoire de Biologie du Développement UPRES EA1033, Universite des Sciences et Technologies de Lille, 59655 Villeneuve d Ascq, France
J Biol Chem 280:887-98. 2005..In the present report, we identified bax as a Pea3 up-regulated gene...
- The Bax N terminus is required for negative regulation by the mitogen-activated protein kinase kinase and Akt signaling pathways in T cellsNeha Parikh
National Center for Biological Sciences, New Bellary Road, Bangalore 560065, Karnataka, India
J Immunol 173:6220-7. 2004The Bcl-2 family proapoptotic protein, Bax, redistributes to the mitochondrion in response to varied stimuli, triggering loss of mitochondrial integrity and apoptosis...
- The N-terminal conformation of Bax regulates cell commitment to apoptosisJ P Upton
Wellcome Trust Centre for Cell Matrix Research, Faculty of Life Sciences, The University of Manchester, Manchester, UK
Cell Death Differ 14:932-42. 2007The Bcl-2 protein Bax normally resides in the cytosol, but during apoptosis it translocates to mitochondria where it is responsible for releasing apoptogenic factors...
- IL-9 and IL-13 induce mucous cell metaplasia that is reduced by IFN-gamma in a Bax-mediated pathwayJialing Xiang
Department of Biological, Chemical, and Physical Sciences, Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 38:310-7. 2008..We established an organ culture system that replicates the allergen-induced MCM in mice and analyzed the role of Bax in the IFN-gamma-induced resolution of MCM...
- Anoikis, initiated by Mcl-1 degradation and Bim induction, is deregulated during oncogenesisNicholas T Woods
H Lee Moffitt Cancer Center and Research Institute, University of South Florida, Tampa, Florida 33612, USA
Cancer Res 67:10744-52. 2007Anoikis, a Bax-dependent apoptosis triggered by detachment from the extracellular matrix, is often dysfunctional in metastatic cancer cells...
- Triggering of Bcl-2-related pathway is associated with apoptosis of photoreceptors in Rpe65-/- mouse model of Leber's congenital amaurosisSandra Cottet
Institute for Research in Ophthalmology IRO, Avenue Grand Champsec 64, 1950, Sion 4, Switzerland
Apoptosis 13:329-42. 2008..In particular, Bax has been suggested to play a crucial role in apoptotic pathways in murine glaucoma model as well as in retinal ..
- BI-1 regulates endoplasmic reticulum Ca2+ homeostasis downstream of Bcl-2 family proteinsChunyan Xu
Program on Apoptosis and Cell Death Research, Burnham Institute for Medical Research, La Jolla, California 92037, USA
J Biol Chem 283:11477-84. 2008BI-1 (Bax inhibitor-1) is an evolutionarily conserved multitransmembrane protein that resides in the endoplasmic reticulum (ER) and that has documented cytoprotective functions in both animals and plants...
- Multiple genes on chromosome 7 regulate dopaminergic amacrine cell number in the mouse retinaIrene E Whitney
Neuroscience Research Institute and Department of Psychology, University of California, Santa Barbara, California 93106 5060, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 50:1996-2003. 2009..The size of the dopaminergic amacrine (DA) cell population is a highly heritable trait exhibiting sixfold variation among inbred strains of mice and is used here to identify genes that modulate the number of DA cells...
- Bax-deficient mice with lymphoid hyperplasia and male germ cell deathC M Knudson
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Science 270:96-9. 1995b>BAX, a heterodimeric partner of BCL2, counters BCL2 and promotes apoptosis in gain-of-function experiments. A Bax knockout mouse was generated that proved viable but displayed lineage-specific aberrations in cell death...
- Proapoptotic protein Bax heterodimerizes with Bcl-2 and homodimerizes with Bax via a novel domain (BH3) distinct from BH1 and BH2H Zha
La Jolla Cancer Research Foundation, California 92037, USA
J Biol Chem 271:7440-4. 1996..required for its function as an inhibitor of cell death and for heterodimerization with the proapoptotic protein Bax. In this report, we mapped the region in Bax required for heterodimerization with Bcl-2 and homodimerization with ..
- BAX is required for neuronal death after trophic factor deprivation and during developmentT L Deckwerth
Department of Molecular Biology and Pharmacology, Howard Hughes Medical Institute Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
Neuron 17:401-11. 1996Members of the BCL2-related family of proteins either promote or repress programmed cell death. BAX, a death-promoting member, heterodimerizes with multiple death-repressing molecules, suggesting that it could prove critical to cell ..
- Bax suppresses tumorigenesis and stimulates apoptosis in vivoC Yin
Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics, Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of North Carolina School of Medicine at Chapel Hill, 27599, USA
Nature 385:637-40. 1997..Here we test the role of the death-promoting gene bax in a transgenic mouse brain tumour, a model in which p53-mediated apoptosis attenuates tumour growth...
- Mutagenesis of the BH3 domain of BAX identifies residues critical for dimerization and killingK Wang
Departments of Medicine and Pathology, Division of Molecular Oncology, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
Mol Cell Biol 18:6083-9. 1998..N. Farrow and R. Brown, Curr. Opin. Genet. Dev. 6:45-49, 1996). A prominent death agonist, BAX, forms homodimers and heterodimerizes with multiple antiapoptotic members...
- Neurotrophins support the development of diverse sensory axon morphologiesS I Lentz
Center for the Study of Nervous System Injury, Department of Neurology, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
J Neurosci 19:1038-48. 1999..We show here that embryonic sensory neurons from BAX-deficient mice survived indefinitely in the absence of neurotrophins, even in highly dissociated cultures, allowing ..
- Prolongation of ovarian lifespan into advanced chronological age by Bax-deficiencyG I Perez
Vincent Center for Reproductive Biology, Massachusetts General Hospital and Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Biology, Harvard Medical School, Boston 02114, USA
Nat Genet 21:200-3. 1999..Apoptosis has a fundamental role in follicular atresia, and recent studies have shown that Bax, which is expressed in both granulosa cells and oocytes, may be central to ovarian cell death...
- BCL-2 family members and the mitochondria in apoptosisA Gross
Department of Pathology, Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Genes Dev 13:1899-911. 1999
- Bcl-x and Bax regulate mouse primordial germ cell survival and apoptosis during embryogenesisE B Rucker
Laboratory of Genetics and Physiology, National Institute of Diabetes, Digestive and Kidney Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Mol Endocrinol 14:1038-52. 2000..5 but were depleted by E15.5, a time when Bcl-x and Bax were present...
- The combined functions of proapoptotic Bcl-2 family members bak and bax are essential for normal development of multiple tissuesT Lindsten
Department of Medicine, Abramson Family Cancer Research Institute, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Mol Cell 6:1389-99. 2000..However, mice lacking bax display limited phenotypic abnormalities...
- Bax accelerates tumorigenesis in p53-deficient miceC M Knudson
Department of Pathology, University of Iowa College of Medicine, Iowa City 52241, USA
Cancer Res 61:659-65. 2001b>Bax is a Bcl-2 family member that promotes apoptosis and counters the protective effect of Bcl-2. Bax is a downstream effector of p53-induced apoptosis and is transcriptionally regulated by p53...
- c-Myc functionally cooperates with Bax to induce apoptosisPhilippe Juin
University of California at San Francisco Cancer Center, San Francisco, California 94143 0128, USA
Mol Cell Biol 22:6158-69. 2002..We show here that fibroblasts lacking Bak remain susceptible to c-Myc-induced apoptosis whereas bax-deficient fibroblasts are resistant...
- Bax is crucial for IFN-gamma-induced resolution of allergen-induced mucus cell metaplasiaYohannes Tesfaigzi
Lovelace Respiratory Research Institute, 2425 Ridgecrest Drive SE, Albuquerque, NM 87108, USA
J Immunol 169:5919-25. 2002..The percentage of Bax-expressing mucus cells increased significantly at 7 days in -/- mice and at 10 days in +/+ mice...
- Essential role for the BH3-only protein Bim but redundant roles for Bax, Bcl-2, and Bcl-w in the control of granulocyte survivalAndreas Villunger
Walter and Eliza Hall Institute of Medical Research, Melbourne, Australia
Blood 101:2393-400. 2003..mice to investigate the roles of the prosurvival molecules Bcl-2 and Bcl-w and their proapoptotic relatives Bax and Bim in spontaneous and stress-induced apoptosis of granulocytes from bone marrow or the peritoneum...
- Bax, caspase-2, and caspase-3 are required for ovarian follicle loss caused by 4-vinylcyclohexene diepoxide exposure of female mice in vivoYasushi Takai
Vincent Center for Reproductive Biology, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Massachusetts General Hospital Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
Endocrinology 144:69-74. 2003..has been reported that VCD-induced follicle loss occurs via a cell death process involving elevated expression of Bax, a proapoptotic Bcl-2 family member, and increased caspase-3-like activity...
- Brn3a regulation of TrkA/NGF receptor expression in developing sensory neuronsLong Ma
Center for Developmental Biology and Kent Waldrep Foundation Center for Basic Research on Nerve Growth and Regeneration, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX 75390 9133, USA
Development 130:3525-34. 2003..We employ Bax-knockout mice, in which sensory neurons no longer require neurotrophins for survival, to uncouple TrkA-dependent ..
- Bax and Bak can localize to the endoplasmic reticulum to initiate apoptosisWei Xing Zong
Department of Cancer Biology, Abramson Cancer Center, 421 Curie Blvd, BRB II III, 445, Philadelphia, PA 19104 6160, USA
J Cell Biol 162:59-69. 2003b>Bax and Bak play a redundant but essential role in apoptosis initiated by the mitochondrial release of apoptogenic factors. In addition to their presence at the mitochondrial outer membrane, Bax and Bak can also localize to the ER...
- Major role of BAX in apoptosis during retinal development and in establishment of a functional postnatal retinaM O Pequignot
CERTO, EA MRES 2502, Faculte Necker, Paris, France
Dev Dyn 228:231-8. 2003..Comparison of wild-type C57BL/6 mice, gld mice, defective in the death ligand fasL, and bax-/- mice, defective in the pro-apoptotic BAX protein, revealed a minor role for FAS ligand but a crucial role for ..
- Puma is an essential mediator of p53-dependent and -independent apoptotic pathwaysJohn R Jeffers
St Jude Children s Research Hospital, 332 N Lauderdale, Memphis, TN 38105, USA
Cancer Cell 4:321-8. 2003..These findings establish Puma as a principal mediator of cell death in response to diverse apoptotic signals, implicating Puma as a likely tumor suppressor...
- c-Myc sensitization to oxygen deprivation-induced cell death is dependent on Bax/Bak, but is independent of p53 and hypoxia-inducible factor-1Joslyn K Brunelle
Department of Medicine, Northwestern University Medical School, Chicago, Illinois 60611 3010, USA
J Biol Chem 279:4305-12. 2004..Our results demonstrate that murine embryonic fibroblasts from bax-/-bak-/- mice that conditionally express c-Myc did not die in response to either oxygen or serum deprivation...
- The proapoptotic activities of Bax and Bak limit the size of the neural stem cell poolTullia Lindsten
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
J Neurosci 23:11112-9. 2003The proapoptotic Bcl-2 family members Bak and Bax play central and redundant roles in the regulation of apoptosis. In this study, we investigated the effect of loss of Bax and Bak in the CNS...
- Proapoptotic Bak is sequestered by Mcl-1 and Bcl-xL, but not Bcl-2, until displaced by BH3-only proteinsSimon N Willis
The Walter and Eliza Hall Institute of Medical Research, Parkville, Victoria, Australia
Genes Dev 19:1294-305. 2005..proteins trigger apoptosis by binding via their BH3 domain to prosurvival relatives, while the proapoptotic Bax and Bak have an essential downstream role involving permeabilization of organellar membranes and induction of ..
- Genetic inactivation of the transcription factor TIF-IA leads to nucleolar disruption, cell cycle arrest, and p53-mediated apoptosisXuejun Yuan
Division of Molecular Biology of the Cell II, German Cancer Research Center, Im Neuenheimer Feld 280, D 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
Mol Cell 19:77-87. 2005..The striking correlation between perturbation of nucleolar function, elevated levels of p53, and induction of cell suicide supports the view that the nucleolus is a stress sensor that regulates p53 activity...
- Loss of Bif-1 suppresses Bax/Bak conformational change and mitochondrial apoptosisYoshinori Takahashi
Drug Discovery Program, H Lee Moffitt Cancer Center and Research Institute, 12902 Magnolia Drive, Tampa, FL 33612, USA
Mol Cell Biol 25:9369-82. 2005Bif-1, a member of the endophilin B protein family, interacts with Bax and promotes interleukin-3 withdrawal-induced Bax conformational change and apoptosis when overexpressed in FL5.12 cells...
- Role of Bax and Bak in mitochondrial morphogenesisMariusz Karbowski
Biochemistry Section, SNB, NINDS, NIH, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Nature 443:658-62. 2006..Two members of the Bcl-2 family, Bax and Bak, change intracellular location early in the promotion of apoptosis to concentrate in focal clusters at ..
- Steel factor controls midline cell death of primordial germ cells and is essential for their normal proliferation and migrationChristopher Runyan
Division of Developmental Biology, Cincinnati Children s Hospital Research Foundation, Cincinnati, OH 45229, USA
Development 133:4861-9. 2006..5 and E10.5. This is confirmed by the fact that removal of the intrinsic pro-apoptotic protein Bax rescues the germ-cell apoptosis seen in Steel null embryos...
- Neuromuscular development in the absence of programmed cell death: phenotypic alteration of motoneurons and muscleRobert R Buss
Department of Neurobiology and Anatomy, The Neuroscience Program, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston Salem, North Carolina 27157, USA
J Neurosci 26:13413-27. 2006..tests) motor behaviors were all normal after the rescue of MNs by genetic deletion of the proapoptotic gene Bax. However, there was an increase in intrafusal muscle fibers (spindles) in Bax knock-out versus both wild-type and ..
- Absence of the proapoptotic Bax protein extends fertility and alleviates age-related health complications in female miceGloria I Perez
Vincent Center for Reproductive Biology, Vincent Obstetrics and Gynecology Service, Massachusetts General Hospital Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:5229-34. 2007..Here we show in mice that inactivation of the proapoptotic Bax gene, which sustains ovarian lifespan into advanced age, extends fertile potential and minimizes many age-related ..
- BAX contributes to Doppel-induced apoptosis of prion-protein-deficient Purkinje cellsS Heitz
Département Neurotransmission et Sécrétion Neuroendocrine, Institut des Neurosciences Cellulaires et Intégratives UMR7168 LC2, CNRS Université Louis Pasteur, IFR 37 des Neurosciences de Strasbourg, and APHP, Hopital Charles Foix, Ivry Seine, France
Dev Neurobiol 67:670-86. 2007..To investigate the involvement of the mitochondrial proapoptotic factor BAX in the Dpl-induced apoptosis of PCs, we have analyzed the progression of PC death in aging NP0/0:Bax-/- double ..
- Puma is a dominant regulator of oxidative stress induced Bax activation and neuronal apoptosisDiana Steckley
Robarts Research Institute and the Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario, Canada N6A 5K8
J Neurosci 27:12989-99. 2007..Furthermore, we have determined that Bcl-2-associated X protein (Bax) is also required for oxidative stress induced cell death and that Puma plays a dominant role in regulating Bax ..
- Impaired migration in the rostral migratory stream but spared olfactory function after the elimination of programmed cell death in Bax knock-out miceWoon Ryoung Kim
Department of Anatomy, College of Medicine, Korea University, Sungbuk Gu, Seoul 136 705, Korea
J Neurosci 27:14392-403. 2007..Here we demonstrate that Bax is critical for the elimination of OB neurons by showing that Bax-KO mice exhibit greatly reduced PCD in the OB...
- Bim, Bak, and Bax regulate osteoblast survivalMin Liang
Botnar Research Centre, Institute of Musculoskeletal Sciences, Nuffield Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Oxford, Oxford, United Kingdom
J Bone Miner Res 23:610-20. 2008..When trophic factors become limited by injury or disease, cells undergo apoptosis. This study establishes the regulation and function of Bim, Bak, and Bax in this response.
- Proapoptotic BH3-only protein Bid is essential for death receptor-induced apoptosis of pancreatic beta-cellsMark D McKenzie
St Vincent s Institute of Medical Research, 41 Victoria Parade, Fitzroy, Victoria, 3065, Australia
Diabetes 57:1284-92. 2008..We investigated the role of the BH3-only protein Bid and the multi-BH domain proapoptotic Bax and Bak, as well as prosurvival Bcl-2, in beta-cell apoptosis.
- Nanos2 suppresses meiosis and promotes male germ cell differentiationAtsushi Suzuki
Department of Genetics, SOKENDAI, Mishima, Shizuoka 411 8540, Japan
Genes Dev 22:430-5. 2008..We also demonstrate that Nanos2 activates a male-specific genetic program, which is supported by the inhibition of meiosis and the induction of male-type differentiation in female germ cells following the forced expression of Nanos2...
- Bax targeting to mitochondria occurs via both tail anchor-dependent and -independent mechanismsA J Valentijn
Wellcome Trust Centre for Cell Matrix Research, Faculty of Life Sciences, The University of Manchester, Manchester, UK
Cell Death Differ 15:1243-54. 2008b>Bax is a member of the Bcl-2 family that, together with Bak, is required for permeabilisation of the outer mitochondrial membrane (OMM)...
- The murine cytomegalovirus cell death suppressor m38.5 binds Bax and blocks Bax-mediated mitochondrial outer membrane permeabilizationDamien Arnoult
INSERM U542, Hopital Paul Brousse, Universite Paris Sud, 14 avenue Paul Vaillant Couturier, 94807 Villejuif Cedex, France
Apoptosis 13:1100-10. 2008..5 associates with Bax, recruits it to mitochondria, and blocks Bax-mediated but not Bak-mediated mitochondrial outer membrane ..
- Bcl-2 family and redox control of genomic instabilityCHARLES KNUDSON; Fiscal Year: 2007..The Bcl-2 family contains both anti-apoptotic (Bcl-2 like) and pro-apoptotic members (Bax like)...
- Sertoli Cell Mediated Engulfment of Apoptotic Germ CellsKodi S Ravichandran; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..
- Enhancement of Myoblast Chemotactic MigrationJANICE DOMINOV; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- MECHANISMS OF SEXUAL DIFFERENTIATION IN NEURAL SYSTEMSNANCY FORGER; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- Viral Stress-inducible Gene ExpressionGanes Sen; Fiscal Year: 2005..These studies will illuminate the modes of cross-talk between the TLR and the Jak-STAT signaling pathways for appropriate gene induction in virus-infected cells. ..
- Metabolomics: From Bioenergetics To ApoptosisCraig Thompson; Fiscal Year: 2005..Understanding the relationships between metabolism and apoptosis may lead to novel approaches for the prevention and/or treatment of cancer and degenerative disorders. ..
- Mechanisms of Motor Neuron DeathLee Martin; Fiscal Year: 2006..induced to degenerate (by sciatic nerve avulsion) through a process that is unequivocally apoptosis and is p53- and Bax-dependent and also involves mitochondrial accumulation, oxidative stress, DNA damage, and caspase-3 activation...
- Identifying a viral cause of Multiple SclerosisHOWARD LIPTON; Fiscal Year: 2006..We also propose to construct and express MS CSF cDNA libraries in gt-11 as another way of detecting such a virus without prior knowledge of its nature. ..
- Apoptosis in Laminin alpha2-Deficient Muscle PathologyJANICE DOMINOV; Fiscal Year: 2009..Additionally, we find that d/v animals deficient in Bax, a related pro-apoptotic protein, exhibit even greater longevity and growth along with reduced hind limb paralysis ..
- DNA Damage/Repair and Cell DeathLee Martin; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- MECHANISMS OF NEURONAL APOPTOSIS IN VIVOLee Martin; Fiscal Year: 2009..We found that this retrograde neurodegeneration is apoptosis, unequivocally defined by its structure, mediation by Bax (a multidomain Bcl-2 family death effector) and p53, and caspase-3 signaling...
- Molecular Basis of TMEV-induced Demyelinating DiseaseHOWARD LEE LIPTON; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..
- The Role of BCL-2 in Corneal Epithelial Cell SheddingDANIELLE ROBERTSON; Fiscal Year: 2008..4) That events leading to increased apoptosis such as UV light signal surface cell apoptosis through the phosphorylation of BCL-2. ..
- THEILERS DEMYELINATION--ROLE OF M0S AND OLIGODENDROCYTESHOWARD LIPTON; Fiscal Year: 2002..4) The kinetics of BeAn virus growth in three murine oligodendrocyte cell lines and primary murine astrocyte cultures. ..
- Regulation of cell growth and oncogenesis by BcI-2 & BaxCHARLES KNUDSON; Fiscal Year: 2005DESCRIPTION: (provided by applicant) Bcl-2 and Bax are known regulators of cell death or apoptosis. Bcl-2 has been well studied because of its association with B Cell Lymphoma...
- Targeting Apoptosis by Chemical DesignLOREN WALENSKY; Fiscal Year: 2007..Walensky's development as an independent investigator at the interface of these notable fields. ..
- Lymphocyte Survival: Implications for lymphomagenesisCraig B Thompson; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- ENDOTOXIN INDUCED MUCOUS CELL METAPLASIAYohannes Tesfaigzi; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..