Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Ascl1
Description: achaete-scute family bHLH transcription factor 1
Alias: AI225900, ASH1, Mash1, bHLHa46, achaete-scute homolog 1, ASH-1, achaete-scute complex homolog 1, achaete-scute complex homolog-like 1, achaete-scute complex-like protein 1, mASH-1, mammalian achaete scute homolog 1
Publications164 found, 100 shown here
- dILA neurons in the dorsal spinal cord are the product of terminal and non-terminal asymmetric progenitor cell divisions, and require Mash1 for their developmentHendrik Wildner
Max Delbrück Centrum for Molecular Medicine, Berlin Buch, Germany
Development 133:2105-13. 2006..spinal cord, and arise in a salt-and-pepper pattern from a broad progenitor domain that expresses the bHLH factor Mash1. In this domain, Mash1-positive and Mash1-negative cells intermingle...
- Effects of canonical Wnt signaling on dorso-ventral specification of the mouse telencephalonMattias Backman
Institute of Medical Microbiology and Centre for Molecular Biology and Neuroscience, University of Oslo, The National Hospital, 0027 Oslo, Norway
Dev Biol 279:155-68. 2005..expression of dorsal markers Emx1, Emx2 and Ngn2, and in ectopic up-regulation of ventral markers Gsh2, Mash1 and Dlx2 in the pallium. In contrast, ablation of ss-catenin after the onset of cortical neurogenesis (E11...
- Transdifferentiation of the ventral retinal pigmented epithelium to neural retina in the growth arrest specific gene 1 mutantC S Lee
Department of Embryology, Carnegie Institution of Washington, 115 West University Parkway, Baltimore, Maryland 21210, USA
Dev Biol 236:17-29. 2001..Furthermore, we provide evidence that the dorsal and ventral RPEs are maintained by distinct genetic components...
- Widespread defects in the primary olfactory pathway caused by loss of Mash1 functionRichard C Murray
Department of Anatomy and Neurobiology, Developmental Biology Center, University of California, Irvine, Irvine, California 92697 2300, USA
J Neurosci 23:1769-80. 2003b>MASH1, a basic helix-loop-helix transcription factor, is widely expressed by neuronal progenitors in the CNS and PNS, suggesting that it plays a role in the development of many neural regions...
- Dlx1&2 and Mash1 transcription factors control striatal patterning and differentiation through parallel and overlapping pathwaysJason E Long
Department of Psychiatry and the Nina Ireland Laboratory of Developmental Neurobiology, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, California 94158 2324, USA
J Comp Neurol 512:556-72. 2009..The Dlx-independent pathway depends in part on the function of the Mash1 b-HLH transcription factor...
- Wnt signaling plays an essential role in neuronal specification of the dorsal spinal cordYuko Muroyama
Kondoh Differentiation Signaling Project, Exploratory Research for Advanced Technology ERATO, Japan Science and Technology Corporation JST, Kinki Invention Center, Sakyo ku, Kyoto 606 8305, Japan
Genes Dev 16:548-53. 2002..Thus, Wnt signaling plays a critical role in the specification of cell types for dorsal interneurons...
- Proper development of relay somatic sensory neurons and D2/D4 interneurons requires homeobox genes Rnx/Tlx-3 and Tlx-1Ying Qian
The Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Genes Dev 16:1220-33. 2002..Here we show that relay somatic sensory neurons and D2/D4 dorsal interneurons likely derive from Mash1-positive neural precursors, and depend on two related homeobox genes, Rnx and Tlx-1, for proper formation...
- Lunatic Fringe-mediated Notch signaling is required for lung alveogenesisKeli Xu
Program in Developmental and Stem Cell Biology, The Hospital for Sick Children, 101 College St, East Tower, Rm 14 309, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5G 1L7
Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 298:L45-56. 2010..In sum, these results demonstrate that Lfng functions to enhance Notch signaling in myofibroblast precursor cells and thereby to coordinate differentiation and mobilization of myofibroblasts required for alveolar septation...
- Distinct requirements for Ascl1 in subpopulations of midbrain GABAergic neuronsPaula Peltopuro
Institute of Biotechnology, P O Box 56, Viikinkaari 9, FIN00014 University of Helsinki, Helsinki, Finland
Dev Biol 343:63-70. 2010..Here we have studied the involvement of the proneural gene Ascl1 in the development of the midbrain GABAergic neurons...
- Uncx regulates proliferation of neural progenitor cells and neuronal survival in the olfactory epitheliumNeeraja Sammeta
Department of Physiology, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY 40536 0298, USA
Mol Cell Neurosci 45:398-407. 2010..Uncx expression was rare in olfactory epithelia of Ascl1(-/-) mice, but common in Neurog1(-/-) mice...
- Talin 1 and 2 are required for myoblast fusion, sarcomere assembly and the maintenance of myotendinous junctionsFrancesco J Conti
The Scripps Research Institute, Department of Cell Biology and Institute of Childhood and Neglected Diseases, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Development 136:3597-606. 2009..We conclude that talin 1 and 2 are crucial for skeletal muscle development, where they regulate myoblast fusion, sarcomere assembly and the maintenance of MTJs...
- The ErbB2 and ErbB3 receptors and their ligand, neuregulin-1, are essential for development of the sympathetic nervous systemS Britsch
Department of Medical Genetics, Max Delbruck Center MDC for Molecular Medicine, 13122 Berlin, Germany
Genes Dev 12:1825-36. 1998..Together with previous observations, these findings establish the neuregulin signaling system as a key regulator in the development of neural crest cells...
- Directed differentiation of hippocampal stem/progenitor cells in the adult brainSebastian Jessberger
Laboratory of Genetics, The Salk Institute for Biological Studies, 10010 N Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla, California 92037, USA
Nat Neurosci 11:888-93. 2008..We found that retrovirus-mediated overexpression of a single gene, the bHLH transcription factor Ascl1, redirected the fate of the proliferating adult hippocampal stem/progenitor (AHP) progeny and lead to the ..
- Sequential phases of cortical specification involve Neurogenin-dependent and -independent pathwaysCarol Schuurmans
IGBMC, Illkirch, CU de Strasbourg, France
EMBO J 23:2892-902. 2004..Our study thus reveals an unanticipated heterogeneity in the genetic mechanisms specifying the identity of neocortical projection neurons...
- Mammalian achaete-scute homolog 1 is required for the early development of olfactory and autonomic neuronsF Guillemot
Samuel Lunenfeld Research Institute, Mount Sinai Hospital, Toronto, Canada
Cell 75:463-76. 1993..These observations suggest that Mash-1, like its Drosophila homologs of the AS-C, controls a basic operation in development of neuronal progenitors in distinct neural lineages...
- Combinatorial function of the homeodomain proteins Nkx2.1 and Gsh2 in ventral telencephalic patterningJoshua G Corbin
Developmental Genetics Program and the Department of Cell Biology, The Skirball Institute of Biomolecular Medicine, New York University Medical Center, 540 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016, USA
Development 130:4895-906. 2003..1 dependent specification of oligodendrocytes. Therefore, both integrative and antagonistic interactions between homeodomain-containing transcription factors contribute to the patterning of the telencephalon...
- Hes genes regulate size, shape and histogenesis of the nervous system by control of the timing of neural stem cell differentiationJun Hatakeyama
Institute for Virus Research, Kyoto University, Kyoto 606 8507, Japan
Development 131:5539-50. 2004..Our data also indicate that embryonic neural stem cells change their characters over time in the following order: Hes-independent neuroepithelial cells, transitory Hes-dependent neuroepithelial cells and Hes-dependent radial glial cells...
- Notch1 expression and ligand interactions in progenitor cells of the mouse olfactory epitheliumGerald A Schwarting
Shriver Center UMMS, 200 Trapelo Road, Waltham, MA 02452, USA
J Mol Histol 38:543-53. 2007..These cells are distinct from Mash1(+) neuronal precursors, but give rise to sensory neurons, suggesting that Notch1 signals may in part function to ..
- Proliferative and transcriptional identity of distinct classes of neural precursors in the mammalian olfactory epitheliumEric S Tucker
Department of Cell and Molecular Physiology, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, NC 27599, USA
Development 137:2471-81. 2010..express Meis1/2 at high levels, and rapidly dividing neurogenic precursors that express high levels of Sox2 and Ascl1. Precursors expressing high levels of Meis genes primarily reside in the lateral OE, whereas precursors expressing ..
- Hand2 determines the noradrenergic phenotype in the mouse sympathetic nervous systemYuka Morikawa
Department of Cell and Molecular Biology, Tulane University, 2000 Percival Stern Hall, New Orleans, LA 70118, USA
Dev Biol 307:114-26. 2007..the expression of other members of the transcriptional circuit regulating SNS development, including Phox2a/b, Mash1 and Gata2/3; however, Hand2 was required for Hand1 expression...
- Dlx transcription factors promote migration through repression of axon and dendrite growthInma Cobos
Nina Ireland Laboratory of Developmental Neurobiology, Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94158, USA
Neuron 54:873-88. 2007....
- Foxg1 promotes olfactory neurogenesis by antagonizing Gdf11Shimako Kawauchi
Department of Anatomy and Neurobiology, University of California, Irvine, CA 92697, USA
Development 136:1453-64. 2009..Thus, the pro-neurogenic effects of Foxg1 are likely to be mediated through different signaling pathways in different parts of the nervous system...
- Neuroepithelial body microenvironment is a niche for a distinct subset of Clara-like precursors in the developing airwaysArjun Guha
Pulmonary Center, Department of Medicine, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, MA 02118, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 109:12592-7. 2012..Genetic ablation of Ascl1 prevented NEB formation and selectively interfered with the formation of this subpopulation of cells...
- Mash1 regulates the development of C cells in mouse thyroid glandsYoko Kameda
Department of Anatomy, Kitasato University School of Medicine, Sagamihara, Kanagawa, Japan
Dev Dyn 236:262-70. 2007..The basic helix-loop-helix (bHLH) transcription factor Mash1 plays a role in the differentiation of autonomic neurons...
- Insm1 (IA-1) is an essential component of the regulatory network that specifies monoaminergic neuronal phenotypes in the vertebrate hindbrainJohn Jacob
MRC National Institute for Medical Research, The Ridgeway, Mill Hill, London NW7 1AA, UK
Development 136:2477-85. 2009..as they exit the cell cycle, in a pattern that partially overlaps with the expression of the proneural factor Ascl1. Consistent with this, a conserved cis-regulatory sequence associated with Insm1 is bound by Ascl1 in the ..
- beta-Catenin regulates intercellular signalling networks and cell-type specific transcription in the developing mouse midbrain-rhombomere 1 regionDmitri Chilov
Institute of Biotechnology, University of Helsinki, Helsinki, Finland
PLoS ONE 5:e10881. 2010..These results highlight the role of beta-catenin in establishment of neuroectodermal signalling centers, promoting region-specific gene expression and regulation of cell fate determination...
- An achaete-scute homologue essential for neuroendocrine differentiation in the lungM Borges
The Oncology Center, The Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, Baltimore, Maryland 21231, USA
Nature 386:852-5. 1997..Strikingly, newborn mice bearing a disruption of the ASH1 gene have no detectable pulmonary neuroendocrine cells...
- Dynamic expression of RGS4 in the developing nervous system and regulation by the neural type-specific transcription factor Phox2bNicolas Grillet
Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, Unité Mixte de Recherche 8542, Departement de Biologie, Ecole Normale Superieure, 75005 Paris, France
J Neurosci 23:10613-21. 2003..Moreover, Phox2b cooperates with the basic helix-loop-helix protein Mash1 to transiently switch on RGS4 after ectopic expression in the chicken spinal cord...
- Adult Apaf-1-deficient mice exhibit male infertilityN Honarpour
Department of Molecular Genetics, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas 75235, USA
Dev Biol 218:248-58. 2000..These findings strongly suggest that alternative apoptotic pathways work in conjunction with and parallel to Apaf-1 and can modify its effect on programmed cell death...
- Molecular interaction between projection neuron precursors and invading interneurons via stromal-derived factor 1 (CXCL12)/CXCR4 signaling in the cortical subventricular zone/intermediate zoneMarie Catherine Tiveron
Institut de Biologie du Developpement de Marseille Luminy, Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique Université de Mediterranée, 13288 Marseille, France
J Neurosci 26:13273-8. 2006..These results represent the first evidence for a molecular interaction between precursors of projection neurons and invading interneurons during corticogenesis...
- Glial cells generate neurons: the role of the transcription factor Pax6Nico Heins
Max Planck Institute of Neurobiology, Am Klopferspitz 18a, 82152, Planegg Martinsreid, Munich, Germany
Nat Neurosci 5:308-15. 2002..These results demonstrated an important role of Pax6 as intrinsic fate determinant of the neurogenic potential of glial cells...
- Proneural bHLH and Brn proteins coregulate a neurogenic program through cooperative binding to a conserved DNA motifDiogo S Castro
Division of Molecular Neurobiology, National Institute for Medical Research, The Ridgeway, Mill Hill, London NW7 1AA, UK
Dev Cell 11:831-44. 2006..Here, we demonstrate that the proneural protein Mash1 and the POU proteins Brn1 and Brn2 interact on the promoter of the Notch ligand Delta1 and synergistically ..
- Conditional deletion of Hand2 reveals critical functions in neurogenesis and cell type-specific gene expression for development of neural crest-derived noradrenergic sympathetic ganglion neuronsTyler J Hendershot
Department of Neurosciences, Program in Neurosciences and Degenerative Disease, University of Toledo Health Sciences Center, Toledo, OH 43614, USA
Dev Biol 319:179-91. 2008..Hand2 has a pivotal function in a non-linear cross-regulatory network of DNA binding proteins that affect cell autonomous control of differentiation and cell type-specific gene expression...
- Mammalian achaete-scute homolog 1 is transiently expressed by spatially restricted subsets of early neuroepithelial and neural crest cellsL C Lo
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, California Institute of Technology, Pasadena 91125
Genes Dev 5:1524-37. 1991Using monoclonal antibodies, we have examined the expression pattern of MASH1, a basic helix-loop-helix protein that is a mammalian homolog of the Drosophila achaete-scute proteins...
- DLX-2, MASH-1, and MAP-2 expression and bromodeoxyuridine incorporation define molecularly distinct cell populations in the embryonic mouse forebrainM H Porteus
Nina Ireland Laboratory of Developmental Biology, Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Francisco 94143 0984
J Neurosci 14:6370-83. 1994....
- Generation of oligodendrocyte precursor cells from mouse dorsal spinal cord independent of Nkx6 regulation and Shh signalingJun Cai
Department of Anatomical Sciences and Neurobiology, School of Medicine, University of Louisville, Louisville, KY 40292, USA
Neuron 45:41-53. 2005..In addition, we provide genetic evidence that oligodendrogenesis can occur in the absence of hedgehog receptor Smoothened, which is essential for all hedgehog signaling...
- The role of hypoxia and neurogenic genes (Mash-1 and Prox-1) in the developmental programming and maturation of pulmonary neuroendocrine cells in fetal mouse lungSuzanne McGovern
Division of Pathology, Department of Paediatric Laboratory Medicine, CIHR Group on Lung Development, The Research Institute, The Hospital for Sick Children, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5G1X8
Lab Invest 90:180-95. 2010..Thus, disturbances in intrauterine pO(2) homeostasis could alter the functional maturation of the PNEC system and hence be involved in the pathogenesis of various perinatal pulmonary disorders...
- Dynamic expression of the murine Achaete-Scute homologue Mash-1 in the developing nervous systemF Guillemot
Division of Molecular and Developmental Biology, Samuel Lunenfeld Research Institute, Mount Sinai Hospital, Toronto, Canada
Mech Dev 42:171-85. 1993..The two genes show very similar expression patterns, both spatially and temporally, in the early developing brain and in the retina, suggesting that both genes may participate in the development of the same neural lineages...
- Targeted disruption of mammalian hairy and Enhancer of split homolog-1 (HES-1) leads to up-regulation of neural helix-loop-helix factors, premature neurogenesis, and severe neural tube defectsM Ishibashi
Institute for Immunology, Kyoto University Faculty of Medicine, Japan
Genes Dev 9:3136-48. 1995..These results suggest that HES-1 normally controls the proper timing of neurogenesis and regulates neural tube morphogenesis...
- Mash1 activates a cascade of bHLH regulators in olfactory neuron progenitorsE Cau
Institut de Genetique et de Biologie Moleculaire et Cellulaire, CNRS INSERM Universite Louis Pasteur, Illkirch, CU de Strasbourg, France
Development 124:1611-21. 1997..We show that Math4C/neurogenin1 and the basic helix-loop-helix gene Mash1 are expressed in the olfactory epithelium by different dividing progenitor populations, while another basic helix-..
- Math5 encodes a murine basic helix-loop-helix transcription factor expressed during early stages of retinal neurogenesisN L Brown
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Department of Human Genetics, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 0650, USA edu
Development 125:4821-33. 1998..During retinogenesis, Math5 is expressed significantly before NeuroD, Ngn2 or Mash1. To test whether these bHLH genes influence the fates of distinct classes of retinal neurons, we ectopically ..
- Transcription factors Mash-1 and Prox-1 delineate early steps in differentiation of neural stem cells in the developing central nervous systemM a Torii
Division of Neurobiology, The University of Tokyo Graduate School of Medicine, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo, 113 0033 Japan
Development 126:443-56. 1999..Thus, we propose that induction of Mash-1 and Prox-1 is one of the critical molecular events that control early development of the CNS...
- Defects in thalamocortical axon pathfinding correlate with altered cell domains in Mash-1-deficient miceR Tuttle
Molecular Neurobiology Laboratory, The Salk Institute, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Development 126:1903-16. 1999..In addition, these findings support the hypothesis that ventral telencephalic neurons and their axons guide TCAs through ventral thalamus and into ventral telencephalon...
- Control of hindbrain motor neuron differentiation by the homeobox gene Phox2bA Pattyn
Laboratoire de Genetique et Physiologie du Developpement, Developmental Biology Institute of Marseille, CNRS INSERM Univ Méditerranée AP de Marseille, Luminy Case 907, France
Development 127:1349-58. 2000..Thus, the loss of function of Phox2b in hindbrain motor neurons exemplifies a novel control point in the generation of CNS neurons...
- The Gsh2 homeodomain gene controls multiple aspects of telencephalic developmentJ G Corbin
Developmental Genetics Program and the Department of Cell Biology, The Skirball Institute of Biomolecular Medicine, New York University Medical Center, New York, NY 10016, USA
Development 127:5007-20. 2000..Taken together, our data support a model in which Gsh2, in response to sonic hedgehog signaling, plays a crucial role in multiple aspects of telencephalic development...
- Gsh2 and Pax6 play complementary roles in dorsoventral patterning of the mammalian telencephalonK Yun
Nina Ireland Laboratory of Developmental Neurobiology, Department of Psychiatry, LPPI, University of California, San Francisco, Box 0984, San Francisco, CA 94143 0984, USA
Development 128:193-205. 2001..The role of Pax6 in dorsalizing the telencephalon is similar to its role in the spinal cord, supporting the hypothesis that some dorsoventral patterning mechanisms are used at all axial levels of the central nervous system...
- Roles of homeobox and bHLH genes in specification of a retinal cell typeJ Hatakeyama
Institute for Virus Research, Kyoto University, Sakyo ku, Kyoto 606 8507, Japan
Development 128:1313-22. 2001Previous analysis of mutant mice has revealed that the bHLH genes Mash1 and Math3, and the homeobox gene Chx10 are essential for generation of bipolar cells, the interneurons present in the inner nuclear layer of the retina...
- The caudal ganglionic eminence is a source of distinct cortical and subcortical cell populationsSusana Nery
Developmental Genetics Program and the Department of Cell Biology, The Skirball Institute of Biomolecular Medicine, New York University Medical Center, 540 First Avenue, New York, New York 10016, USA
Nat Neurosci 5:1279-87. 2002..Moreover, we report that the migratory fate of cells from the CGE is intrinsically determined by embryonic day 13.5 (E13.5). Together, these results provide the first insights into the development and fate of the CGE...
- Autoregulation of neurogenesis by GDF11Hsiao Huei Wu
Department of Anatomy and Neurobiology and the Developmental Biology Center, University of California, Irvine, Irvine, CA 92697, USA
Neuron 37:197-207. 2003..This negative autoregulatory action of GDF11 is strikingly like that of its homolog, GDF8/myostatin, in skeletal muscle, suggesting that similar strategies establish and maintain proper cell number during neural and muscular development...
- Ascl1/Mash1 is required for the development of central serotonergic neuronsAlexandre Pattyn
CNRS UMR 8542, Ecole Normale Superieure, 75005 Paris, France
Nat Neurosci 7:589-95. 2004..The basic helix-loop-helix (bHLH) gene Ascl1 (also known as Mash1) is coexpressed with Nkx2-2 in the neuroepithelial domain of the hindbrain, which gives rise to 5-HT neurons...
- Precocious retinal neurons: Pax6 controls timing of differentiation and determination of cell typeGary T Philips
Biology Department, University of Nevada, Biology 200, 1664 N Virginia Street, Reno, NV 89557, USA
Dev Biol 279:308-21. 2005..Mutant optic vesicles had reduced proliferation, coupled with precocious activation of the proneural gene, Mash1. Ectopic expression of Mash1 was sufficient to induce precocious neuron differentiation...
- Ventralized dorsal telencephalic progenitors in Pax6 mutant mice generate GABA interneurons of a lateral ganglionic eminence fateTodd T Kroll
Molecular Neurobiology Laboratory, The Salk Institute for Biological Studies, 10010 North Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:7374-9. 2005..Thus, Pax6 delimits the appropriate proliferative zone for GABA INs and regulates their numbers and distributions by repressing the ventral fates of dTel progenitors and progeny...
- Gsh2 is required for the repression of Ngn1 and specification of dorsal interneuron fate in the spinal cordSonja Kriks
Molecular Neurobiology Laboratory, The Salk Institute for Biological Studies, 10010 North Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Development 132:2991-3002. 2005..In Gsh2 mutant embryos, expression of the proneural bHLH protein Mash1 is downregulated in dI3 neural progenitors, with Mash1 mutants exhibiting a concordant reduction in dI3 neurons...
- Multiple requirements for Hes 1 during early eye formationHae Young Lee
Department of Pediatrics, Northwestern University Medical School at Children s Memorial Institute for Education and Research, Chicago, IL 60614, USA
Dev Biol 284:464-78. 2005..Together, these studies demonstrate that Hes1, like Pax6, simultaneously regulates multiple developmental processes during optic development...
- Noses and neurons: induction, morphogenesis, and neuronal differentiation in the peripheral olfactory pathwayCurtis W Balmer
Department of Cell and Molecular Physiology and UNC Neuroscience Center, The University of North Carolina School of Medicine, Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599, USA
Dev Dyn 234:464-81. 2005....
- Adrenal development is initiated by Cited2 and Wt1 through modulation of Sf-1 dosagePierre Val
Section of Gene Function and Regulation, Institute of Cancer Research, 237 Fulham Road, London SW3 6JB, UK
Development 134:2349-58. 2007..These results highlight the importance of transcription factor dosage in organogenesis and the role of transcription co-factors such as Cited2 in determining the levels of these factors...
- Cooperative transcriptional activation by the neurogenic basic helix-loop-helix protein MASH1 and members of the myocyte enhancer factor-2 (MEF2) familyB L Black
Department of Molecular Biology and Oncology, Hamon Center for Basic Cancer Research, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas 75235, USA
J Biol Chem 271:26659-63. 1996..Here, we show that the neurogenic bHLH protein MASH1 interacts with members of the MEF2 family and that this interaction, mediated by the DNA binding and dimerization ..
- Restricted expression of a novel murine atonal-related bHLH protein in undifferentiated neural precursorsG Gradwohl
Institut de Genetique et de Biologie Moleculaire et Cellulaire, CNRS INSERM Universite Louis Pasteur, Illkirch, France
Dev Biol 180:227-41. 1996..proteins, atonal and achaete-scute, have proneural activities in Drosophila, and the mouse achaete-scute homolog MASH1 is required for the differentiation of several neural lineages...
- Forebrain patterning defects in Small eye mutant miceA Stoykova
Max Planck Institute of Biophysical Chemistry, Gottingen, Germany
Development 122:3453-65. 1996..Our results are discussed in light of changes in adhesive properties in the Sey brain that might control segregation, assembly and cell migration of progenitors of specific forebrain regions...
- NeuroD regulates multiple functions in the developing neural retina in rodentE M Morrow
Department of Genetics and Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Development 126:23-36. 1999..In conclusion, these results implicate NeuroD in a variety of developmental functions including cell fate determination, differentiation and neuron survival...
- Mash1 regulates neurogenesis in the ventral telencephalonS Casarosa
IGBMC, CNRS INSERM Universite Louis Pasteur, BP 163, CU de Strasbourg, France
Development 126:525-34. 1999Previous studies have shown that mice mutant for the gene Mash1 display severe neuronal losses in the olfactory epithelium and ganglia of the autonomic nervous system, demonstrating a role for Mash1 in development of neuronal lineages in ..
- Hoxa2 and Hoxb2 control dorsoventral patterns of neuronal development in the rostral hindbrainM Davenne
Institut de Genetique et de Biologie Moleculaire et Cellulaire, Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale Université Louis Pasteur, College de France, Strasbourg
Neuron 22:677-91. 1999....
- The homeobox gene Phox2b is essential for the development of autonomic neural crest derivativesA Pattyn
Laboratoire de Genetique et Physiologie du Developpement, Developmental Biology Institute of Marseille, CNRS INSERM Université de la Méditterranée AP de Marseille, France
Nature 399:366-70. 1999..The factors needed for these structures to develop include the transcription factor Mash1, the glial-derived neurotrophic factor GNDF and its receptor subunits, and the neuregulin signalling system, each ..
- A role for neural determination genes in specifying the dorsoventral identity of telencephalic neuronsC Fode
Institut de G en etique et de Biologie Mol eculaire et Cellulaire, Centre National de la Recherche Scient ifique Institut National de la Sant e et de la Recherche M edicale, Communaut e Urbaine de Strasbourg, France
Genes Dev 14:67-80. 2000Neurogenin1 (Ngn1), Neurogenin2 (Ngn2), and Mash1 encode bHLH transcription factors with neuronal determination functions...
- Generation of neurons by transient expression of neural bHLH proteins in mammalian cellsM H Farah
Mental Health Research Institute, Neuroscience Program, and Department of Biology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48104 1687, USA
Development 127:693-702. 2000..Here we show that transient transfection of vectors expressing neuroD2, MASH1, ngn1 or related neural bHLH proteins, with their putative dimerization partner E12, can convert mouse P19 ..
- Genetic ablation reveals that the roof plate is essential for dorsal interneuron specificationK J Lee
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biophysics, Centre for Neurobiology and Behavior, Columbia University, New York, New York 10032, USA
Nature 403:734-40. 2000..These results reveal that the roof plate is essential for specifying multiple classes of neurons in the mammalian central nervous system...
- Hes genes regulate sequential stages of neurogenesis in the olfactory epitheliumE Cau
IGBMC, CNRS INSERM Universite Louis Pasteur, BP 163, CU de Strasbourg, France
Development 127:2323-32. 2000..Hes1 is expressed in a broad placodal domain, which is maintained in absence of the neural determination gene Mash1. In contrast, expression of Hes5 is restricted to clusters of neural progenitor cells and requires Mash1 function...
- Basic helix-loop-helix transcription factors regulate the neuroendocrine differentiation of fetal mouse pulmonary epitheliumT Ito
Department of Pathology, Yokohama City University School of Medicine, Yokohama, Japan
Development 127:3913-21. 2000..fetal lung epithelia, we have studied the expression of the mammalian homologs of achaete-scute complex (Mash1) (Ascl1 - Mouse Genome Informatics); hairy and enhancer of split1 (Hes1); and the expression of Notch/Notch-ligand system ..
- Genetic control of dorsal-ventral identity in the telencephalon: opposing roles for Pax6 and Gsh2H Toresson
Wallenberg Neuroscience Center, Division of Neurobiology, Section for Developmental Neurobiology, Lund University, Solvegatan 17, S 223 62 Lund, Sweden
Development 127:4361-71. 2000..the molecular identity of early striatal progenitors and in its absence the ventral telencephalic regulatory genes Mash1 and Dlx are lost from most of the striatal germinal zone...
- Pax6 modulates the dorsoventral patterning of the mammalian telencephalonA Stoykova
Max Planck Institute of Biophysical Chemistry, Department of Molecular Cell Biology, 37077 Gottingen, Germany
J Neurosci 20:8042-50. 2000..Together the results demonstrate that Pax6 has an essential role for the modulation of the dorsoventral patterning of the embryonic telencephalon, influencing thereby the forebrain morphogenesis...
- A role for Gsh1 in the developing striatum and olfactory bulb of Gsh2 mutant miceH Toresson
Wallenberg Neuroscience Center, Division of Neurobiology, Lund University, Solvegatan 17, BMC A11, S 221 84 Lund, Sweden
Development 128:4769-80. 2001....
- Notch1 is required for neuronal and glial differentiation in the cerebellumSimone Lütolf
Institute of Cell Biology, Department of Biology, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, CH 8093 Zurich, Switzerland
Development 129:373-85. 2002..We have also analyzed the effects of Notch1 ablation on gliogenesis in vivo. Our results show that Notch1 is required for both neuron and glia formation and modulates the onset of neurogenesis within the cerebellar neuroepithelium...
- Requirement of neuropilin 1-mediated Sema3A signals in patterning of the sympathetic nervous systemTakahiko Kawasaki
Group of Developmental Neurobiology, Division of Biological Science, Nagoya University Graduate School of Science, Chikusa ku, Nagoya 464 8602, Japan
Development 129:671-80. 2002....
- Mash1 and Ngn1 control distinct steps of determination and differentiation in the olfactory sensory neuron lineageElise Cau
IGBMC, 1 rue Laurent Fries, 67404 Illkirch Cedex, CU de Strasbourg, France
Development 129:1871-80. 2002..In the olfactory epithelium, the proneural genes Mash1 and neurogenin1 are expressed at distinct steps in the same olfactory sensory neuron lineage...
- The homeodomain factor lbx1 distinguishes two major programs of neuronal differentiation in the dorsal spinal cordThomas Muller
Department of Medical Genetics, Max Delbruck Center for Molecular Medicine, 13122 Berlin, Germany
Neuron 34:551-62. 2002..We conclude that Lbx1 distinguishes two major neuronal classes in the dorsal spinal cord and is an important determinant of their distinct differentiation programs...
- Disruption of early events in thalamocortical tract formation in mice lacking the transcription factors Pax6 or Foxg1Thomas Pratt
Biomedical Sciences, University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh EH8 9XD, United Kingdom
J Neurosci 22:8523-31. 2002....
- Dorsoventral patterning is established in the telencephalon of mutants lacking both Gli3 and Hedgehog signalingMurielle Rallu
Developmental Genetics Program and the Department of Cell Biology, The Skirball Institute of Biomolecular Medicine, New York University Medical Center, 540 First Avenue, New York 10016, USA
Development 129:4963-74. 2002..In addition these results support the idea that, in addition to hedgehog signaling, a Shh-independent pathways must act during development to pattern the telencephalon...
- Identification of a novel basic helix-loop-helix gene, Heslike, and its role in GABAergic neurogenesisGoichi Miyoshi
Institute for Virus Research, Kyoto University, Kyoto 606 8507, Japan
J Neurosci 24:3672-82. 2004..Heslike is coexpressed with the bHLH factor Mash1 in brain regions that give rise to GABAergic neurons...
- Mapping spatio-temporal activation of Notch signaling during neurogenesis and gliogenesis in the developing mouse brainAkinori Tokunaga
Department of Physiology, Keio University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
J Neurochem 90:142-54. 2004..Taken together, the present method has enabled us to determine the timing, gradients, and boundaries of the activation of Notch signaling...
- Essential role of Gata transcription factors in sympathetic neuron developmentKonstantina Tsarovina
Max Planck Institut für Hirnforschung, Abteilung Neurochemie, Deutschordenstr 46, 60528 Frankfurt Main, Germany
Development 131:4775-86. 2004..development from neural crest precursors by a network of crossregulatory transcription factors, which includes Mash1, Phox2b, Hand2 and Phox2a...
- Mash1 specifies neurons and oligodendrocytes in the postnatal brainCarlos M Parras
Institut de Génétique et de Biologie Cellulaire et Moléculaire, Illkirch, France
EMBO J 23:4495-505. 2004..Here we show that Mash1, an important proneural gene in the embryonic telencephalon, is broadly expressed in the postnatal SVZ, in ..
- Molecular dissection of Pax6 function: the specific roles of the paired domain and homeodomain in brain developmentNicole Haubst
GSF National Research Center for Environment and Health, Institute for Stem Cell Research, Neuherberg, Germany
Development 131:6131-40. 2004..These results therefore demonstrate a key role of the PD in brain development and implicate splicing as a pivotal factor regulating the potent neurogenic role of Pax6...
- The bHLH factor Olig3 coordinates the specification of dorsal neurons in the spinal cordThomas Muller
Max Delbruck Center for Molecular Medicine, 13122 Berlin, Germany
Genes Dev 19:733-43. 2005..We conclude that Olig3 expression distinguishes the two major classes of progenitors in the dorsal spinal cord and determines the distinct specification program of class A neurons...
- Sequential roles for Mash1 and Ngn2 in the generation of dorsal spinal cord interneuronsAmy W Helms
Center for Basic Neuroscience, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX 75390, USA
Development 132:2709-19. 2005..The bHLH transcription factors Mash1 and Ngn2 have distinct roles in specification of these neurons...
- Notch signaling coordinates the patterning of striatal compartmentsHeather A Mason
Developmental Genetics Program and the Department of Cell Biology, The Skirball Institute of Biomolecular Medicine, New York University Medical Center, New York, NY 10016, USA
Development 132:4247-58. 2005..These results indicate that Notch signaling is required in neural progenitor cells to control cell fate in the striatum, but is dispensable during subsequent phases of neuronal migration and differentiation...
- Members of the Plag gene family are expressed in complementary and overlapping regions in the developing murine nervous systemSharmila Alam
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Institute of Maternal and Child Health, University of Calgary, Calgary, AB, Canada
Dev Dyn 234:772-82. 2005....
- Coupling of cell migration with neurogenesis by proneural bHLH factorsWeihong Ge
Mental Retardation Research Center, Dept of Psychiatry and Biobehavioral Sciences, Neuropsychiatric Institute, David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California Los Angeles, 635 Charles E Young Drive South, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:1319-24. 2006..Collectively, these data suggest that transcription programs for neurogenesis and migration are regulated by bHLH factors through partially distinct mechanisms...
- Tangential neuronal migration controls axon guidance: a role for neuregulin-1 in thalamocortical axon navigationGuillermina López-Bendito
Instituto de Neurociencias de Alicante, CSIC and Universidad Miguel Hernandez, 03550 Sant Joan d Alacant, Spain
Cell 125:127-42. 2006..These results show that neuronal tangential migration constitutes a novel mechanism to control the timely arrangement of guidance cues required for axonal tract formation in the mammalian brain...
- Ascl1 and Gsh1/2 control inhibitory and excitatory cell fate in spinal sensory interneuronsRumiko Mizuguchi
Molecular Neurobiology Laboratory, The Salk Institute for Biological Studies, 10010 North Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla, California 92037, USA
Nat Neurosci 9:770-8. 2006..We show that Gsh1/2 and Ascl1 (Mash1), which are expressed in sensory interneuron progenitors, control the choice between excitatory and inhibitory ..
- Persistent and high levels of Hes1 expression regulate boundary formation in the developing central nervous systemJoung Hee Baek
Institute for Virus Research, Kyoto University, Shogoin Kawahara, Kyoto 606 8507, Japan
Development 133:2467-76. 2006..Expression levels of Hes1 display an inverse correlation to those of the proneural bHLH factor Mash1, suggesting that downregulation of Hes1 leads to upregulation of Mash1 in non-boundary regions, whereas persistent ..
- A role for proneural genes in the maturation of cortical progenitor cellsOlivier Britz
Division of Molecular Neurobiology, National Institute for Medical Research, The Ridgeway, Mill Hill, London, UK
Cereb Cortex 16:i138-51. 2006..specify the phenotypes of early- and not late-born neurons in the neocortex, acting in part through repression of Mash1, a third cortically expressed proneural gene...
- Requirement for Bhlhb5 in the specification of amacrine and cone bipolar subtypes in mouse retinaLiang Feng
Center for Aging and Developmental Biology, University of Rochester, Rochester, NY 14642, USA
Development 133:4815-25. 2006..Our results reveal that a bHLH transcription factor cascade is involved in regulating retinal cell differentiation and imply that Bhlhb5 functions downstream of retinogenic factors to specify bipolar and amacrine subtypes...
- Dlx-dependent and -independent regulation of olfactory bulb interneuron differentiationJason E Long
Nina Ireland Laboratory of Developmental Neurobiology, University of California at San Francisco, San Francisco, California 94143, USA
J Neurosci 27:3230-43. 2007..mechanisms that result in olfactory bulb interneuron defects in Dlx1&2-/- (distal-less homeobox 1 and 2) and Mash1-/- (mammalian achaete-schute homolog 1) mutants...
- The proneural gene Mash1 specifies an early population of telencephalic oligodendrocytesCarlos M Parras
Division of Molecular Neurobiology, National Institute for Medical Research, London NW7 1AA, United Kingdom
J Neurosci 27:4233-42. 2007The bHLH (basic helix-loop-helix) transcription factor Mash1 is best known for its role in the regulation of neurogenesis...
- Contribution of olfactory neural stem cells to tissue maintenance and regenerationCheuk T Leung
Center for Sensory Biology and the Department of Molecular Biology and Genetics, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 725 N Wolfe Street, PCTB 801, Baltimore, Maryland 21205, USA
Nat Neurosci 10:720-6. 2007..Our data support a new model of adult neurogenesis in which distinct cell populations mediate normal neuronal turnover and neuronal replacement upon traumatic injury...
- Physiologically distinct temporal cohorts of cortical interneurons arise from telencephalic Olig2-expressing precursorsGoichi Miyoshi
Neuroscience Program and Department of Cell Biology, Smilow Research Center, New York University School of Medicine, New York, New York 10016, USA
J Neurosci 27:7786-98. 2007..We observe that the physiological subtypes of cortical interneurons are, to a large degree, unique to their time point of generation...
- Differences in neurogenic potential in floor plate cells along an anteroposterior location: midbrain dopaminergic neurons originate from mesencephalic floor plate cellsYuichi Ono
KAN Research Institute Inc, KobeMI R and D Center 6 7 3 Minatojima minamimachi, Chuo Ku, Kobe, Hyogo 650 0047, Japan
Development 134:3213-25. 2007..Our data provide insights into the mechanisms of specification and generation of mesDA neurons, and illustrate a useful cell replacement approach for Parkinson's disease...
- Characterization of progenitor domains in the developing mouse thalamusTou Yia Vue
Department of Neuroscience, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minnesota 55455, USA
J Comp Neurol 505:73-91. 2007..pTH-R is immediately caudal to the ZLI and expresses Nkx2.2, Mash1, and Olig3. pTH-C is caudal to pTH-R and expresses Ngn1, Ngn2, and Olig3...
- In vivo analysis of Ascl1 defined progenitors reveals distinct developmental dynamics during adult neurogenesis and gliogenesisEuiseok J Kim
Department of Neuroscience, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas 75390, USA
J Neurosci 27:12764-74. 2007..We show that Ascl1, a bHLH (basic helix-loop-helix) transcription factor, transiently labels neuronal and oligodendrocyte precursors ..
- Insm1 (IA-1) is a crucial component of the transcriptional network that controls differentiation of the sympatho-adrenal lineageHendrik Wildner
Max Delbrück Centrum for Molecular Medicine, Robert Rossle Strasse 10, 13125 Berlin, Germany
Development 135:473-81. 2008..The transcription factors Mash1 (Ascl1), Phox2a, Gata3 and Hand2 (previously dHand) control the differentiation of sympatho-adrenal precursor cells, and ..
- Ascl1 is required for oligodendrocyte development in the spinal cordMichiya Sugimori
Division of Developmental Biology, Cincinnati Children s Hospital Research Foundation, 3333 Burnet Avenue, and Department of Pediatrics, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, Cincinnati, OH 45229, USA
Development 135:1271-81. 2008..Our previous study demonstrated an important role of the helix-loop-helix (HLH) transcription factor Ascl1 in early generation of OLPs in the developing spinal cord...
- Genome-wide location analysis of neuronal genesMichael Rosenfeld; Fiscal Year: 2007..We believe that with validation of these approaches, technologies developed here will be of widespread utility in neuroscience, particularly in studies of development and neurodegenerative disease. ..
- Development of Sensory maps in the Mammalian neocortexYasushi Nakagawa; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..
- REGIONAL PATTERNING IN THE VENTRAL TELENCEPHALONGORDON J FISHELL; Fiscal Year: 2010..If we can understand how this population is generated, we will take the first step towards assessing whether we can use gene or cell therapies to ameliorate the devasting consequences associated with cortical interneuron dysfunction. ..
- The Role of Sonic Hedgehog in telencephalic patterningRobert Machold; Fiscal Year: 2004..This work will hopefully lead to a deeper understanding of regional specification in the developing forebrain. ..
- Functional Analysis of Spinal Cord InterneuronsMartyn Goulding; Fiscal Year: 2005..These studies will provide valuable insights into the development and organization of circuits in the spinal cord that control locomotor behavior, and will lay the groundwork for strategies to treat spinal cord injury and degeneration. ..
- MECHANISMS OF NEURAL PATTERNING IN MAMMALIAN FOREBRAINGordon Fishell; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Specification of Dorsal Lbx1-Derived InterneuronsMartyn Goulding; Fiscal Year: 2007..These studies will provide important insights into the development and organization of neural circuits in the dorsal horn that sense and relay pain. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Migration of early olfactory neuronal progenitorsGERALD SCHWARTING; Fiscal Year: 2009..These studies will lead to an understanding of the complex factors that guide GnRH neurons to their proper destinations in the hypothalamus to control the hypothalamic-pituitary-gonadal axis. ..