Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Apln
Alias: 6030430G11Rik, Apel, apelin, APJ endogenous ligand, preproapelin
- Apelin is a potent activator of tumour neoangiogenesisS C Sorli
Unité U 589 INSERM, I2MR, Cancer Department, Toulouse Cedex 4, France
Oncogene 26:7692-9. 2007Our laboratory has previously shown that apelin is mitogenic for endothelial cells...
- Retardation of retinal vascular development in apelin-deficient miceAtsushi Kasai
Laboratory of Molecular Neuropharmacology, Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, OsakaUniversity, Japan
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 28:1717-22. 2008b>Apelin is an endogenous ligand for the G protein-coupled receptor, APJ, and participates in multiple physiological processes. To identify the roles of endogenous apelin, we investigated the phenotype of apelin-deficient (apelin-KO) mice.
- Hypoxia-induced apelin expression regulates endothelial cell proliferation and regenerative angiogenesisMelanie Eyries
INSERM UMRS 525, Universite Pierre et Marie Curie, Paris, France
Circ Res 103:432-40. 2008b>Apelin has been identified as the endogenous ligand of the human orphan G protein-coupled receptor APJ. This peptide exerts a variety of cardiovascular effects and particularly acts as an activator of angiogenesis...
- Apelin is necessary for the maintenance of insulin sensitivityPatrick Yue
Div of Cardiovascular Medicine, Stanford University School of Medicine, 300 Pasteur Dr, Falk CVRC, Stanford, CA 94305 5406, USA
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 298:E59-67. 2010The recently discovered peptide apelin is known to be involved in the maintenance of insulin sensitivity. However, questions persist regarding its precise role in the chronic setting...
- Apelin is a crucial factor for hypoxia-induced retinal angiogenesisAtsushi Kasai
Department of Pharmacotherapeutics, Setsunan University, Hirakata, Osaka 565 0871, Japan
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 30:2182-7. 2010To investigate the role of endogenous apelin in pathological retinal angiogenesis.
- Disruption of PPARγ/β-catenin-mediated regulation of apelin impairs BMP-induced mouse and human pulmonary arterial EC survivalTero Pekka Alastalo
Department of Pediatrics, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, California 94305 5162, USA
J Clin Invest 121:3735-46. 2011..microarrays, we delineated PPARγ/β-catenin-dependent transcription of target genes including APLN, which encodes apelin. We documented reduced PAEC expression of apelin in PAH patients versus controls...
- Subepicardial endothelial cells invade the embryonic ventricle wall to form coronary arteriesXueying Tian
Key Laboratory of Nutrition and Metabolism, Institute for Nutritional Sciences, Shanghai Institutes for Biological Sciences, Graduate School of the Chinese Academy of Sciences, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Shanghai 200031, China
Cell Res 23:1075-90. 2013..Clonal analysis of Apln-positive cells indicates that a single subepicardial EC contributes equally to both coronary arteries and veins...
- Apelin treatment increases complete Fatty Acid oxidation, mitochondrial oxidative capacity, and biogenesis in muscle of insulin-resistant miceCamille Attane
INSERM U1048, Toulouse, France
Diabetes 61:310-20. 2012Both acute and chronic apelin treatment have been shown to improve insulin sensitivity in mice. However, the effects of apelin on fatty acid oxidation (FAO) during obesity-related insulin resistance have not yet been addressed...
- Apelin stimulates glucose utilization in normal and obese insulin-resistant miceCedric Dray
Institut National de la Sante et de la Recherche Medicale, U858, Toulouse, France
Cell Metab 8:437-45. 2008..b>Apelin, a peptide present in different tissues, is also secreted by adipocytes...
- G protein-coupled receptor APJ and its ligand apelin act downstream of Cripto to specify embryonic stem cells toward the cardiac lineage through extracellular signal-regulated kinase/p70S6 kinase signaling pathwayCristina D'Aniello
Institute of Genetics and Biophysics A Buzzati Traverso, CNR, Via Pietro Castellino 111, 80131 Naples, Italy
Circ Res 105:231-8. 2009..The EGF-CFC (epidermal growth factor-Cripto/FRL-1/Cryptic) Cripto protein is essential for cardiac myogenesis in embryonic stem cells (ESCs)...
- The apelin/APJ system induces maturation of the tumor vasculature and improves the efficiency of immune therapyH Kidoya
Department of Signal Transduction, Research Institute for Microbial Diseases, Osaka University, Osaka, Japan
Oncogene 31:3254-64. 2012..In this study, we found that the novel peptide apelin and its receptor APJ can induce the morphological and functional maturation of blood vessels in tumors...
- Apelin attenuates UVB-induced edema and inflammation by promoting vessel functionMika Sawane
Shiseido Innovative Science Research Center, Yokohama, Japan
Am J Pathol 179:2691-7. 2011b>Apelin, the ligand of the G protein-coupled receptor APJ, is involved in the regulation of cardiovascular functions, fluid homeostasis, and vessel formation...
- Endogenous regulation of cardiovascular function by apelin-APJDavid N Charo
Department of Medicine Cardiovascular Medicine, Stanford University, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 297:H1904-13. 2009Studies have shown significant cardiovascular effects of exogenous apelin administration, including the potent activation of cardiac contraction. However, the role of the endogenous apelin-APJ pathway is less clear...
- Neuroprotective effect of the endogenous neural peptide apelin in cultured mouse cortical neuronsXiang Jun Zeng
Department of Pathophysiology, Capital Medical University, Beijing 100069, China
Exp Cell Res 316:1773-83. 2010The adipocytokine apelin and its G protein-coupled APJ receptor were initially isolated from a bovine stomach and have been detected in the brain and cardiovascular system...
- Apelin/APJ signaling system: a potential link between adipose tissue and endothelial angiogenic processesO Kunduzova
Institut National de la Sante et de la Recherche Medicale, U858, Toulouse, Cedex 4, France
FASEB J 22:4146-53. 2008..The bioactive peptide apelin is the endogenous ligand of the G protein-coupled receptor, APJ...
- Apelin induces enlarged and nonleaky blood vessels for functional recovery from ischemiaHiroyasu Kidoya
Department of Signal Transduction, Research Institute for Microbial Diseases, Osaka University, Osaka 565 0871, Japan
Blood 115:3166-74. 2010..Recently, we found that expression of APJ and its specific ligand, apelin, is seen in endothelial cells when angiogenesis is taking place during embryogenesis...
- Coronary arteries form by developmental reprogramming of venous cellsKristy Red-Horse
Department of Biochemistry and Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Stanford, California 94305 5307, USA
Nature 464:549-53. 2010..Understanding this new reprogramming process and identifying the endogenous signals should suggest more natural ways of engineering coronary bypass grafts and revascularizing the heart...
- Eicosapentaenoic acid up-regulates apelin secretion and gene expression in 3T3-L1 adipocytesSilvia Lorente-Cebrián
Department of Nutrition, Food Science, Physiology and Toxicology, University of Navarra, Pamplona, Spain
Mol Nutr Food Res 54:S104-11. 2010Recent studies have shown the ability of apelin to restore glucose tolerance in obese and insulin-resistant mice...
- Activation of catalase by apelin prevents oxidative stress-linked cardiac hypertrophyCamille Foussal
Institut National de la Sante et de la Recherche Medicale INSERM, U858, Toulouse, France
FEBS Lett 584:2363-70. 2010..In the present study we investigated whether apelin affects ROS-dependent cardiac hypertrophy...
- Identification and functional analysis of endothelial tip cell-enriched genesRaquel del Toro
Inserm U833, Paris, France
Blood 116:4025-33. 2010..Secreted molecules endothelial-specific molecule 1, angiopoietin 2, and apelin bind to cognate receptors on endothelial stalk cells...
- Apelin decreases lipolysis via G(q), G(i), and AMPK-Dependent MechanismsPatrick Yue
Department of Medicine Cardiovascular Medicine, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, California 94350, USA
Endocrinology 152:59-68. 2011..A recently identified adipokine, apelin, is up-regulated in states of obesity...
- Vessel formation. De novo formation of a distinct coronary vascular population in neonatal heartXueying Tian
Key Laboratory of Nutrition and Metabolism, Institute for Nutritional Sciences, Shanghai Institutes for Biological Sciences, Graduate School of the Chinese Academy of Sciences, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Shanghai, 200031, China
Science 345:90-4. 2014..This mechanism of postnatal coronary vascular growth provides avenues for understanding and stimulating cardiovascular regeneration following injury and disease. ..
- Genes that distinguish physiological and pathological angiogenesisSteven Seaman
Tumor Angiogenesis Section, Mouse Cancer Genetics Program, National Cancer Institute at Frederick, Frederick, MD 21702, USA
Cancer Cell 11:539-54. 2007..These studies reveal striking differences between physiological and pathological angiogenesis potentially important for the development of tumor-specific, vascular-targeted therapies...
- APJ acts as a dual receptor in cardiac hypertrophyMaria Cecilia Scimia
Sanford Burnham Medical Research Institute, La Jolla, California 92037, USA
Nature 488:394-8. 2012..In contrast, mice lacking apelin (the endogenous APJ ligand) remain sensitive, suggesting an apelin-independent function of APJ...
- Expression of the murine msr/apj receptor and its ligand apelin is upregulated during formation of the retinal vesselsMagali Saint-Geniez
Unité INSERM U 397, CHU Rangueil, Toulouse, France
Mech Dev 110:183-6. 2002..We also show that expression of the endogenous ligand apelin is upregulated at the leading edge of vessel formation.
- Apelin, a newly identified adipokine up-regulated by insulin and obesityJeremie Boucher
Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale Unité 586, Institut Fédératif de Recherche 31, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Rangueil, BP 84225 F 31432 Toulouse Cedex 4, France
Endocrinology 146:1764-71. 2005The results presented herein demonstrate that apelin is expressed and secreted by both human and mouse adipocytes...
- Isolation and characterization of a novel endogenous peptide ligand for the human APJ receptorK Tatemoto
Institute for Molecular and Cellular Regulation, Gunma University, Maebashi, 371 8512, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 251:471-6. 1998..Synthetic peptides derived from the C-terminal amino acid sequence of bovine preproapelin were capable of specifically promoting the acidification rate in the cells expressing the APJ receptor in a ..
- The apelin receptor is coupled to Gi1 or Gi2 protein and is differentially desensitized by apelin fragmentsBernard Masri
Unité U589 INSERM, IFR31, BP 84225, 1 avenue Jean Poulhes, 31432 Toulouse Cedex 4, France
J Biol Chem 281:18317-26. 2006The apelin receptor is a G protein-coupled receptor to which two ligand fragments, apelin-(65-77) and apelin-(42-77), can bind...
- TNFalpha up-regulates apelin expression in human and mouse adipose tissueDanièle Daviaud
INSERM, U586, Unité de Recherches sur les Obésités, Universite Paul Sabatier, Institut Louis Bugnard IFR31, Toulouse, France
FASEB J 20:1528-30. 2006We have recently identified apelin as a novel adipokine up-regulated by insulin and obesity...
- Apelin, an APJ receptor ligand, regulates body adiposity and favors the messenger ribonucleic acid expression of uncoupling proteins in miceKeiko Higuchi
Department of Anatomy, Biology, and Medicine, Internal Medicine 1, Faculty of Medicine, Oita University, 1 1 Idai ga oka, Hasama cho, Yufu City, Oita 879 5593, Japan
Endocrinology 148:2690-7. 2007b>Apelin, the endogenous ligand of the APJ receptor, has been identified in a variety of tissues, including stomach, heart, skeletal muscle, and white adipose tissue...
- Paracrine and autocrine mechanisms of apelin signaling govern embryonic and tumor angiogenesisRoland E Kälin
Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Department of Chemistry and Applied Biosciences, ETH Zurich, Wolfgang Pauli Strasse 10, CH 8093 Zurich, Switzerland
Dev Biol 305:599-614. 2007b>Apelin and its G protein-coupled receptor APJ play important roles in blood pressure regulation, body fluid homeostasis, and possibly the modulation of immune responses...
- Impaired heart contractility in Apelin gene-deficient mice associated with aging and pressure overloadKeiji Kuba
Institute of Molecular Biotechnology, Austrian Academy of Sciences, Vienna, Austria
Circ Res 101:e32-42. 2007b>Apelin constitutes a novel endogenous peptide system suggested to be involved in a broad range of physiological functions, including cardiovascular function, heart development, control of fluid homeostasis, and obesity...
- Apelin enhances cardiac neovascularization after myocardial infarction by recruiting aplnr+ circulating cellsDennie Tempel
FESC, Molecular Cardiology Laboratory, Ee2389a, Thoraxcenter Rotterdam, Erasmus University Medical Center, s Gravendijkwal 230, 3015 GE Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Circ Res 111:585-98. 2012..b>Apelin receptor (Aplnr) and its endogenous ligand apelin play an important role in cardiovascular development...
- A role for endothelial cells in promoting the maturation of astrocytes through the apelin/APJ system in miceSusumu Sakimoto
Department of Signal Transduction, Research Institute for Microbial Diseases, Osaka University, 3 1 Yamada oka, Suita, Osaka, Japan
Development 139:1327-35. 2012..Thus far, the mechanisms triggering LIF production in ECs are unclear. Here we show that apelin, a ligand for the endothelial receptor APJ, induces maturation of astrocytes mediated by the production of LIF ..
- In vivo genetic profiling and cellular localization of apelin reveals a hypoxia-sensitive, endothelial-centered pathway activated in ischemic heart failureAhmad Y Sheikh
Division of Cardiovascular Medicine, Stanford University School of Medicine, 300 Pasteur Drive, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 294:H88-98. 2008Signaling by the peptide ligand apelin and its cognate G protein-coupled receptor APJ has a potent inotropic effect on cardiac contractility and modulates systemic vascular resistance through nitric oxide-dependent signaling...
- Spatial and temporal role of the apelin/APJ system in the caliber size regulation of blood vessels during angiogenesisHiroyasu Kidoya
Department of Signal Transduction, Research Institute for Microbial Diseases, Osaka University, Suita, Osaka, Japan
EMBO J 27:522-34. 2008..Here we show that apelin, a protein secreted from endothelial cells under the activation of Tie2 receptor tyrosine kinase on endothelial ..
- Apelin, the natural ligand of the orphan receptor APJ, is abundantly secreted in the colostrumY Habata
Discovery Research Laboratories 1, Pharmaceutical Discovery Research Division, Takeda Chemical Industries, Ltd, Wadai 10, Tsukuba, Ibaraki, Japan
Biochim Biophys Acta 1452:25-35. 1999..Hinuma et al., Nature 393 (1998) 272-276], we have recently identified a natural ligand, apelin, for the orphan 7TMR, APJ [K. Tatemoto et al., Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 251 (1998) 471-476]...
- Peritruncal coronary endothelial cells contribute to proximal coronary artery stems and their aortic orifices in the mouse heartXueying Tian
Key Laboratory of Nutrition and Metabolism, Institute for Nutritional Sciences, Shanghai Institutes for Biological Sciences, Graduate School of the Chinese Academy of Sciences, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Shanghai, China
PLoS ONE 8:e80857. 2013..Here we analyzed how the main coronary arteries and their orifices form during murine heart development. Apelin (Apln) is expressed in coronary vascular endothelial cells including peritruncal endothelial cells...
- Apelin inhibits the development of diabetic nephropathy by regulating histone acetylation in Akita mouseHong Chen
College of Life Sciences, Wuhan University, Wuhan 430072, China Kun Huang Tongji School of Pharmacy, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan 430030, China Email
J Physiol 592:505-21. 2014..Here, we investigated whether apelin-13, the most active member of the adipokine apelin group, could effectively suppress the development of ..
- APJ Regulates Parallel Alignment of Arteries and Veins in the SkinHiroyasu Kidoya
Department of Signal Transduction, Research Institute for Microbial Diseases, Osaka University, 3 1 Yamada oka, Suita, Osaka 565 0871, Japan
Dev Cell 33:247-59. 2015..Here we report that arterial-venous alignment in the skin is determined by apelin receptor (APJ) expression in venous ECs. One of the activators of APJ is apelin...
- Effects of dietary eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) supplementation in high-fat fed mice on lipid metabolism and apelin/APJ system in skeletal muscleChantal Bertrand
Institut National de la Sante et de la Recherche Medicale INSERM, U1048, Toulouse, Cedex 4, France Université de Toulouse, UPS, Institut des Maladies Métaboliques et Cardiovasculaires, Toulouse, France
PLoS ONE 8:e78874. 2013..b>Apelin, the ligand of APJ receptor also exerts insulin-sensitizing effects especially by improving muscle metabolism...
- Apelin Enhances Brown Adipogenesis and Browning of White AdipocytesAung Than
From the Bioengineering Program, School of Chemical and Biomedical Engineering, Nanyang Technological University, 70 Nanyang Drive, Singapore 637457
J Biol Chem 290:14679-91. 2015..b>Apelin is an adipocyte-derived hormone that plays important roles in energy metabolism...
- Effects of Apelin on RAW264.7 cells under both normal and hypoxic conditionsFan Yang
Department of Ophthalmology, Peking University People s Hospital, Key Laboratory of Vision Loss and Restoration, Ministry of Education, Beijing Key Laboratory for the Diagnosis and Treatment of Retinal and Choroid Diseases, Beijing, China
Peptides 69:133-43. 2015..This study investigated the effects of Apelin on macrophages under both normal and hypoxic conditions...
- Endothelin-2 signaling in the neural retina promotes the endothelial tip cell state and inhibits angiogenesisAmir Rattner
Departments of Molecular Biology and Genetics, Neuroscience, and Ophthalmology and Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21205
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 110:E3830-9. 2013..The response to Edn2 is sufficiently potent that it overrides the activities of other homeostatic regulators of angiogenesis, such as Vegf. ..
- NRP1 Regulates CDC42 Activation to Promote Filopodia Formation in Endothelial Tip CellsAlessandro Fantin
UCL Institute of Ophthalmology, University College London, 11 43 Bath Street, London EC1V 9EL, UK
Cell Rep 11:1577-90. 2015..We conclude that NRP1 enables ECM-induced filopodia formation for tip cell function during sprouting angiogenesis...
- Apelin attenuates postburn sepsis via a phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase/protein kinase B dependent mechanism: A randomized animal studyKeqin Luo
Department of Emergency, SunYat Sen Memorial Hospital, Sun Yat Sen University, Guangzhou, 510120, China Electronic address
Int J Surg 21:22-7. 2015This study aims to investigate whether apelin would regulate inflammatory response and promote survival in an experimental burn sepsis model through a phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase/protein kinase B dependent pathway.
- Induction of chronic pancreatitis by pancreatic duct ligation activates BMP2, apelin, and PTHrP expression in miceCristiana Rastellini
Department of Surgery, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, Texas and
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 309:G554-65. 2015..of repetitive cerulein (Cer)-induced CP in mice on pancreatic production of bone morphogenetic protein-2 (BMP2), apelin, and parathyroid hormone-related protein (PTHrP)...
- MicroRNA-503 promotes angiotensin II-induced cardiac fibrosis by targeting Apelin-13Yuhong Zhou
Department of Pharmacology the State Province Key Laboratories of Biomedicine Pharmaceutics of China, Key Laboratory of Cardiovascular Research, Ministry of Education, Harbin Medical University, Harbin, China
J Cell Mol Med 20:495-505. 2016..Additional analysis revealed that Apelin-13 is a direct target of miR-503, as the overexpression of miR-503 decreased the protein and mRNA expression ..
- Endothelial cells are progenitors of cardiac pericytes and vascular smooth muscle cellsQi Chen
Max Planck Institute for Molecular Biomedicine, Department of Tissue Morphogenesis, Faculty of Medicine, University of Munster, D 48149 Munster, Germany
Nat Commun 7:12422. 2016..Our findings identify a novel and unexpected population of progenitors for coronary mural cells with potential relevance for heart function and disease conditions. ..
- The apelinergic system: sexual dimorphism and tissue-specific modulations by obesity and insulin resistance in female miceLaura Butruille
Unité Environnement Périnatal et Croissance, EA 4489, Faculte de Medecine, Universite Lille Nord de France, Pole Recherche, IFR 114, 59045 Lille, France
Peptides 46:94-101. 2013It has been proposed that the apelinergic system (apelin and its receptor APJ) may be a promising therapeutic target in obesity-associated insulin resistance syndrome...
- Promoting effects of the adipokine, apelin, on diabetic nephropathyBao Hai Zhang
Department of Pathophysiology, Capital Medical University, Beijing, China
PLoS ONE 8:e60457. 2013..b>Apelin receptor (APLNR) and the endogenous ligand of APLNR, apelin, induce the sprouting of endothelial cells in an ..
- Involvement of neurotransmitters in the action of apelin-13 on passive avoidance learning in miceGyula Telegdy
Department of Pathophysiology, University of Szeged, Szeged, Hungary
Peptides 39:171-4. 2013The widespread distribution of apelin-13 and apelin receptors in the brain suggests an important function of this neuropeptide in the brain that has not been explored extensively so far...
- Apelin secretion and expression of apelin receptors in 3T3-L1 adipocytes are differentially regulated by angiotensin type 1 and type 2 receptorsAung Than
Division of Bioengineering, Nanyang Technological University, 70 Nanyang Drive, Singapore 637457, Singapore
Mol Cell Endocrinol 351:296-305. 2012..Here, we investigated the regulatory roles of angiotensin II (AngII) on the secretion of apelin in 3T3-L1 adipocytes, and distinct signaling pathways mediated by AngII receptor type 1 (AT₁) and type 2 (AT₂) ..
- Apelin ameliorates TNF-α-induced reduction of glycogen synthesis in the hepatocytes through G protein-coupled receptor APJJiaojiao Chu
Key Laboratory of Geriatrics, Beijing Institute of Geriatrics and Beijing Hospital, Ministry of Health, Beijing, China
PLoS ONE 8:e57231. 2013b>Apelin, a novel adipokine, is the specific endogenous ligand of G protein-coupled receptor APJ. Consistent with its putative role as an adipokine, apelin has been linked to states of insulin resistance...
- Apelin alleviates diabetes-associated endoplasmic reticulum stress in the pancreas of Akita miceHong Chen
Tongji School of Pharmacy, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan 430030, China
Peptides 32:1634-9. 2011b>Apelin, a newly identified bioactive adipokine, has been found to play important roles in multiple diseases, including diabetes, hypertension and cardiovascular diseases with unclear molecular mechanisms...
- Apelin is required for non-neovascular remodeling in the retinaJenny A G McKenzie
Department of Cell Biology, University College London Institute of Ophthalmology, London, United Kingdom
Am J Pathol 180:399-409. 2012..These included the genes for apelin (Apln) and for its receptor (Aplnr), both of which were strongly up-regulated in the mutants...
- Apelin-APJ signaling is a critical regulator of endothelial MEF2 activation in cardiovascular developmentYujung Kang
Yale Cardiovascular Research Center, Section of Cardiovascular Medicine, Department of Internal Medicine, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06511, USA
Circ Res 113:22-31. 2013The peptide ligand apelin and its receptor APJ constitute a signaling pathway with numerous effects on the cardiovascular system, including cardiovascular development in model organisms such as xenopus and zebrafish.
- Apelin inhibits diet-induced obesity by enhancing lymphatic and blood vessel integrityMika Sawane
Department of Signal Transduction, Research Institute of Microbial Diseases, Osaka University, Osaka, Japan
Diabetes 62:1970-80. 2013..Here, we propose a new antiobesity strategy based on enhancement of lymphatic and blood vessel integrity with apelin. Apelin knockout (KO) mice fed a high-fat diet (HFD) showed an obese phenotype associated with abnormal lymphatic ..
- ACE2 links amino acid malnutrition to microbial ecology and intestinal inflammationTatsuo Hashimoto
IMBA, Institute of Molecular Biotechnology of the Austrian Academy of Sciences, 1030 Vienna, Austria
Nature 487:477-81. 2012..These results provide a molecular explanation for how amino acid malnutrition can cause intestinal inflammation and diarrhoea...
- Apelin inhibits adipogenesis and lipolysis through distinct molecular pathwaysAung Than
Division of Bioengineering, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore 637457, Singapore
Mol Cell Endocrinol 362:227-41. 2012b>Apelin is an adipokine secreted by adipocytes. Co-expression of apelin and apelin receptor (APJ) in adipocytes implies the autocrine regulations of apelin on adipocyte functions through yet unknown molecular mechanisms...
- [Pathological role of apelin in angiogenic eye disease]Atsushi Kasai
Department of Pharmacotherapeutics, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Setsunan University, Osaka, Japan
Yakugaku Zasshi 131:1201-6. 2011..We have found that apelin/APJ system is involved in not only physiological but also pathological retinal angiogenesis using a mouse model of ..
- Increased bone mass in mice lacking the adipokine apelinLalita Wattanachanya
Veterans Affairs Medical Center 111 N, 4150 Clement Street, San Francisco, California 94121, USA
Endocrinology 154:2069-80. 2013..One such adipokine may be apelin, a ligand for the Gi-G protein-coupled receptor APJ, which has been reported to enhance mitogenesis and suppress ..
- Pancreatitis activates pancreatic apelin-APJ axis in miceSong Han
Department of Surgery, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX 77555, USA
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 305:G139-50. 2013Pancreatitis is classified into acute pancreatitis (AP) and chronic pancreatitis (CP). Apelin, a small regulatory peptide, is the endogenous ligand for the APJ receptor. Apelin and APJ are expressed in the pancreas...
- Involvement of the apelin receptor APJ in Fas-induced liver injuryHiroaki Yasuzaki
Department of Medical Science and Cardiorenal Medicine, Yokohama City University Graduate School of Medicine, Yokohama, Japan
Liver Int 33:118-26. 2013b>Apelin-APJ signalling is known to play important roles in heart physiology and pathology; however, its functions in liver physiology and pathology remain unclear...
- Apelin stimulates myosin light chain phosphorylation in vascular smooth muscle cellsTatsuo Hashimoto
Division of Cellular Pathobiology, Department of Pathology, Yokohama City University Graduate School of Medicine, Yokohama, 236 0004, Japan
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 26:1267-72. 2006Physiological roles of apelin and its specific receptor APJ signaling were investigated in vascular smooth muscle cells (VSMCs)...
- The novel peptide apelin regulates intrarenal artery tone in diabetic miceJiu Chang Zhong
Research Center of Medical Sciences, Guangdong Provincial People s Hospital, Guangdong Provincial Cardiovascular Institute, Guangzhou, Guangdong, China
Regul Pept 144:109-14. 2007b>Apelin, a newly identified angiotensin (Ang) II homologue, has been implicated in diabetes. We previously reported that apelin exerts an opposing influence on the Ang II signaling...
- Requirement of apelin-apelin receptor system for oxidative stress-linked atherosclerosisTatsuo Hashimoto
Department of Medical Science and Cardiorenal Medicine, Yokohama City University Graduate School of Medicine and School of Medicine, Kanazawa Ku, Yokohama, Japan
Am J Pathol 171:1705-12. 2007The recently identified endogenous peptide apelin and its specific apelin receptor (APJ) are currently being considered as potential regulators in vascular tissue...
- Apelin signaling antagonizes Ang II effects in mouse models of atherosclerosisHyung J Chun
Department of Medicine and Department of Anesthesiology, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, California, USA
J Clin Invest 118:3343-54. 2008b>Apelin and its cognate G protein-coupled receptor APJ constitute a signaling pathway with a positive inotropic effect on cardiac function and a vasodepressor function in the systemic circulation...
- Involvement of a Stat3 binding site in inflammation-induced enteric apelin expressionSong Han
Dept of Surgery, Univ of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX 77555, USA
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 295:G1068-78. 2008b>Apelin is the endogenous ligand for the APJ receptor; both are expressed in the gastrointestinal tract. Experimental colitis in rodents and inflammatory bowel disease in humans are associated with increased intestinal apelin production...
- Abnormal fluid homeostasis in apelin receptor knockout miceEmma M Roberts
Henry Wellcome Laboratories for Integrative Neuroscience and Endocrinology, University of Bristol, Bristol BS1 3NY, UK
J Endocrinol 202:453-62. 2009The apelinergic system, comprised of apelin and its G protein-coupled receptor (APJ; APLNR as given in MGI Database), is expressed within key regions of the central nervous system associated with arginine vasopressin (AVP) synthesis and ..
- Ontogeny of apelin and its receptor in the rodent gastrointestinal tractGuiyun Wang
Department of Surgery, University of Texas Medical Branch, 301 University Boulevard, Galveston, Texas 77555, USA
Regul Pept 158:32-9. 2009b>Apelin is the endogenous ligand for the APJ receptor and both apelin and APJ are expressed in the gastrointestinal (GI) tract...
- Upregulation of the apelin-APJ pathway promotes neointima formation in the carotid ligation model in mouseYoko Kojima
Division of Cardiovascular Medicine, Department of Medicine, Stanford University School of Medicine, 300 Pasteur Drive, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
Cardiovasc Res 87:156-65. 2010To investigate apelin-APJ (angiotensin receptor-like 1) signalling in vascular remodelling, we have examined the pathophysiological response to carotid ligation in apelin knockout mice.
- Disruption of the apelin-APJ system worsens hypoxia-induced pulmonary hypertensionSuparna M Chandra
Division of Cardiovascular Medicine, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA, USA
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 31:814-20. 2011The G-protein-coupled receptor APJ and its ligand apelin are highly expressed in the pulmonary vasculature, but their function in this vascular bed is unclear...
- Central apelin controls glucose homeostasis via a nitric oxide-dependent pathway in miceThibaut Duparc
Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale INSERM U1048, Toulouse, France
Antioxid Redox Signal 15:1477-96. 2011b>Apelin and its receptor have emerged as promising targets for the treatment of insulin resistance. Indeed, peripheral administration of apelin stimulates glucose utilization and insulin sensitivity via a nitric oxide (NO) pathway...
- Apelin and the proopiomelanocortin system: a new regulatory pathway of hypothalamic α-MSH releaseAnnabelle Reaux-Le Goazigo
Institut National de Santé et de Recherche Médicale, Unité Mixte de Recherche S 691, Centre for Interdisciplinary Research in Biology, College de France, and Université Pierre et Marie Curie Paris 6, Paris, France
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 301:E955-66. 2011..There is growing evidence to suggest that apelin and its receptor may play a role in the central control of food intake, and both are concentrated in the Arc...
- Apelin deficiency accelerates the progression of amyotrophic lateral sclerosisAtsushi Kasai
Department of Pharmacotherapeutics, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Setsunan University, Hirakata, Osaka, Japan
PLoS ONE 6:e23968. 2011..Expression of apelin, an endogenous ligand for the G protein-coupled receptor APJ, is regulated by hypoxia...
- The role of Gq in insulin resistant cardiac hypertrophyPatrick Yue; Fiscal Year: 2006..Specific Aim 3: To study the effect of Gq ablation on the MAPK signaling cascade, a major pathway leading to hypertrophy. ..