Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Aldh1a1
Description: aldehyde dehydrogenase family 1, subfamily A1
Alias: Ahd-2, Ahd2, Aldh1, Aldh1a2, Raldh1, retinal dehydrogenase 1, ALDH-E1, ALHDII, RALDH 1, alcohol dehydrogenase family 1, subfamily A1, alcohol dehydrogenase family 1, subfamily A2, aldehyde dehydrogenase 1, liver cytosolic (class 1), aldehyde dehydrogenase family 1 member A1, aldehyde dehydrogenase, cytosolic
Publications117 found, 100 shown here
- Tissue specific characterisation of Lim-kinase 1 expression during mouse embryogenesisNils O Lindström
School of Medical Sciences, Institute of Medical Sciences, University of Aberdeen, Aberdeen AB25 2ZD, UK
Gene Expr Patterns 11:221-32. 2011..This detailed study of the spatial and temporal expression of LIMK1 shows that LIMK1 expression is more dynamic than previously reported, in particular at sites of tissue-tissue interactions guiding multiple developmental processes...
- Eliminating SF-1 (NR5A1) sumoylation in vivo results in ectopic hedgehog signaling and disruption of endocrine developmentFlorence Y Lee
Department of Cellular and Molecular Pharmacology, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
Dev Cell 21:315-27. 2011..We conclude that the sumoylation cycle greatly expands the functional capacity of transcription factors such as SF-1 and is leveraged during development to achieve cell-type-specific gene expression in multicellular organisms...
- Autocrine function of aldehyde dehydrogenase 1 as a determinant of diet- and sex-specific differences in visceral adiposityRumana Yasmeen
Department of Human Nutrition, The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio, USA
Diabetes 62:124-36. 2013..We investigated the role of retinoic acid (RA) production by aldehyde dehydrogenase 1 (Aldh1a1, -a2, and -a3), the major RA-producing enzymes, on sex-specific fat depot formation...
- beta-Catenin regulates intercellular signalling networks and cell-type specific transcription in the developing mouse midbrain-rhombomere 1 regionDmitri Chilov
Institute of Biotechnology, University of Helsinki, Helsinki, Finland
PLoS ONE 5:e10881. 2010..These results highlight the role of beta-catenin in establishment of neuroectodermal signalling centers, promoting region-specific gene expression and regulation of cell fate determination...
- Identification of 3-deoxyglucosone dehydrogenase as aldehyde dehydrogenase 1A1 (retinaldehyde dehydrogenase 1)Francois Collard
Universite Catholique de Louvain, Christian de Duve Institute of Cellular Pathology, Avenue Hippocrate 75, B 1200 Brussels, Belgium
Biochimie 89:369-73. 2007..with the enzymatic activity in the last step indicated that it corresponded to aldehyde dehydrogenase 1A1 (ALDH1A1), an enzyme known to catalyze the oxidation of retinaldehyde to retinoic acid...
- Retinoic acid in the formation of the dorsoventral retina and its central projectionsE Wagner
Eunice Kennedy Shriver Center, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Dev Biol 222:460-70. 2000..These observations indicate that the dorsoventral axis of the embryonic eye anlage determines the functional coordinates of both vision and eye movements in the adult...
- A retinoic acid synthesizing enzyme in ventral retina and telencephalon of the embryonic mouseH Li
E Kennedy Shriver Center, Waltham, MA 02452, USA
Mech Dev 95:283-9. 2000Most retinoic acid (RA) in the embryonic mouse is generated by three retinaldehyde dehydrogenases (RALDHs). RALDH1 (also called E1, AHD2 or ALDH1) is expressed in the dorsal retina, and RALDH2 (V2, ALDH11) generates most RA in the ..
- RALDH3, a retinaldehyde dehydrogenase that generates retinoic acid, is expressed in the ventral retina, otic vesicle and olfactory pit during mouse developmentF A Mic
Gene Regulation Program, Burnham Institute, 10901 N Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Mech Dev 97:227-30. 2000..The developmental expression patterns of two ALDHs that function as retinaldehyde dehydrogenases, RALDH1 and RALDH2, have been described...
- Differential expression of retinoic acid-synthesizing (RALDH) enzymes during fetal development and organ differentiation in the mouseKaren Niederreither
Institut de Genetique et de Biologie Moleculaire et Cellulaire, CNRS INSERM ULP College de France, B P 163, 67404 Illkirch Cedex, C U de Strasbourg, France
Mech Dev 110:165-71. 2002Three retinaldehyde dehydrogenases (RALDH1, RALDH2 and RALDH3), which catalyze the oxidation of retinaldehyde into retinoic acid, have been shown to be differentially expressed during early embryogenesis...
- Targeted disruption of Aldh1a1 (Raldh1) provides evidence for a complex mechanism of retinoic acid synthesis in the developing retinaXiaohong Fan
OncoDevelopmental Biology Program Center for Neuroscience and Aging, Burnham Institute, La Jolla, California 92037, USA
Mol Cell Biol 23:4637-48. 2003..required for mouse retina development, controlled in part by an RA-generating aldehyde dehydrogenase encoded by Aldh1a2 (Raldh2) expressed transiently in the optic vesicles...
- Genetic evidence that retinaldehyde dehydrogenase Raldh1 (Aldh1a1) functions downstream of alcohol dehydrogenase Adh1 in metabolism of retinol to retinoic acidAndrei Molotkov
OncoDevelopmental Biology Program, Burnham Institute, La Jolla, California 92037, USA
J Biol Chem 278:36085-90. 2003..We now present genetic evidence that aldehyde dehydrogenase Aldh1a1, also known as retinaldehyde dehydrogenase Raldh1, plays a dominant role in the second step of retinol clearance ..
- Dorsal pancreas agenesis in retinoic acid-deficient Raldh2 mutant miceMerce Martin
INSERM, U682, Strasbourg, France
Dev Biol 284:399-411. 2005..We conclude that RA synthesized in the mesenchyme is specifically required for the normal development of the dorsal pancreatic endoderm at a stage preceding Pdx 1 function...
- Tissue- and species-specific expression patterns of class I, III, and IV Adh and Aldh 1 mRNAs in rodent embryosMarie Westerlund
Department of Neuroscience, Karolinska Institutet, Retzius vag 8, B2 4, 171 77 Stockholm, Sweden
Cell Tissue Res 322:227-36. 2005....
- Retinoic acid-dependent eye morphogenesis is orchestrated by neural crest cellsNicolas Matt
Institut de Génétique et de Biologie Moléculaire et Cellulaire IGBMC Collège de France, BP10142, 67404 Illkirch Cedex, CU de Strasbourg, France
Development 132:4789-800. 2005..is not the retina nor the corneal ectoderm, which both express RA-synthesizing retinaldehyde dehydrogenases (RALDH1 and RALDH3), but the neural crest cell-derived periocular mesenchyme (POM), which is devoid of RALDH...
- A Wnt1-regulated genetic network controls the identity and fate of midbrain-dopaminergic progenitors in vivoNilima Prakash
GSF National Research Center for Environment and Health, Technical University Munich, Institute of Developmental Genetics, Ingolstaedter Landstrasse 1, 85764 Munich Neuherberg, Germany
Development 133:89-98. 2006..They also suggest the Wnt1-controlled signaling pathway as a promising target for new therapeutic strategies in the treatment of Parkinson's disease...
- Retinoic acid guides eye morphogenetic movements via paracrine signaling but is unnecessary for retinal dorsoventral patterningAndrei Molotkov
Burnham Institute for Medical Research, 10901 North Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Development 133:1901-10. 2006..Here, we report Raldh1, Raldh2 and Raldh3 single, double and triple null mice exhibiting progressively less or no RA synthesis in the eye...
- Retinaldehyde represses adipogenesis and diet-induced obesityOuliana Ziouzenkova
Cardiovascular Division, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Nat Med 13:695-702. 2007..In vivo, mice lacking the Rald-catabolizing enzyme retinaldehyde dehydrogenase 1 (Raldh1) resisted diet-induced obesity and insulin resistance and showed increased energy dissipation...
- Multiple and additive functions of ALDH3A1 and ALDH1A1: cataract phenotype and ocular oxidative damage in Aldh3a1(-/-)/Aldh1a1(-/-) knock-out miceNatalie Lassen
Molecular Toxicology and Environmental Health Sciences Program, Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Rocky Mountain Lions Eye Institute, The Children s Hospital, University of Colorado, Denver, Colorado 80262, USA
J Biol Chem 282:25668-76. 2007ALDH3A1 (aldehyde dehydrogenase 3A1) is abundant in the mouse cornea but undetectable in the lens, and ALDH1A1 is present at lower (catalytic) levels in the cornea and lens...
- Retinoic acid counteracts developmental defects in the substantia nigra caused by Pitx3 deficiencyFrank M J Jacobs
Rudolf Magnus Institute of Neuroscience, Department of Pharmacology and Anatomy, University Medical Center Utrecht, Universiteitsweg 100, 3584 CG Utrecht, The Netherlands
Development 134:2673-84. 2007..We identified a developmental cascade in mice in which Ahd2 (Aldh1a1) is under the transcriptional control of Pitx3...
- Retinoic acid induces prostatic bud formationChad M Vezina
School of Pharmacy, University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin 53705, USA
Dev Dyn 237:1321-33. 2008..These observations suggest that reciprocal changes in hedgehog and BMP signaling by RA may regulate bud initiation...
- Ocular coloboma and dorsoventral neuroretinal patterning defects in Lrp6 mutant eyesCheng Ji Zhou
Department of Cell Biology, School of Medicine, University of California, Davis, California, USA
Dev Dyn 237:3681-9. 2008..In addition, the retinoic acid synthesizing enzymes Raldh1 and Raldh3 were significantly changed in the mutant eyes...
- Identification of Dlk1, Ptpru and Klhl1 as novel Nurr1 target genes in meso-diencephalic dopamine neuronsFrank M J Jacobs
Rudolf Magnus Institute of Neuroscience, Department of Neuroscience and Pharmacology, University Medical Center Utrecht, Universiteitsweg 100, 3584 CG, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Development 136:2363-73. 2009....
- Retinoid metabolism and ALDH1A2 (RALDH2) expression are altered in the transgenic adenocarcinoma mouse prostate modelSue Ellen Touma
Department of Pharmacology, Weill Cornell Medical College of Cornell University, 1300 York Avenue, New York, NY 10065, USA
Biochem Pharmacol 78:1127-38. 2009..RT-PCR to measure transcripts for genes involved in retinoid signaling and metabolism, including ALDH1A1, ALDH1A2, ALDH1A3, CYP26A1, LRAT, and RARbeta(2), in prostate tissue from TRAMP positive (+) and age-matched littermate ..
- Otx2 controls neuron subtype identity in ventral tegmental area and antagonizes vulnerability to MPTPMichela Di Salvio
CEINGE Biotecnologie Avanzate, Naples, Italy
Nat Neurosci 13:1481-8. 2010..These findings indicate that Otx2 is required to specify neuron subtype identity in VTA and may antagonize vulnerability to the Parkinsonian toxin MPTP...
- Murine hepatic aldehyde dehydrogenase 1a1 is a major contributor to oxidation of aldehydes formed by lipid peroxidationNgome L Makia
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Louisville School of Medicine, Louisville, KY 40292, United States
Chem Biol Interact 191:278-87. 2011..The catalytic efficiencies for metabolism of acrolein by Aldh1a1 was comparable to that of Aldh3a1 (V(max)/K(m)=23)...
- Concerted action of aldehyde dehydrogenases influences depot-specific fat formationBarbara Reichert
Department of Human Nutrition, Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio, 43210, USA
Mol Endocrinol 25:799-809. 2011..The aldehyde dehydrogenase-1 (Aldh1) family of enzymes (Aldh1a1, a2, and a3) catalyzes RA production from retinaldehyde and thereby controls concentrations of this ..
- Functional significance of aldehyde dehydrogenase ALDH1A1 to the nigrostriatal dopamine systemDavid W Anderson
Dept of Pathology, Anatomy and Cell Biology, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, PA 19107, USA
Brain Res 1408:81-7. 2011Aldehyde dehydrogenase 1A1 (ALDH1A1) is a member of a superfamily of detoxification enzymes found in various tissues that participate in the oxidation of both aliphatic and aromatic aldehydes...
- Retinoic acid-dependent and -independent gene-regulatory pathways of Pitx3 in meso-diencephalic dopaminergic neuronsFrank M J Jacobs
Rudolf Magnus Institute, Department of Neuroscience and Pharmacology, UMC Utrecht, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Development 138:5213-22. 2011..of Ahd2-mediated RA signaling represents only one aspect of the Pitx3 downstream cascade, as Vmat2, Dat, Ahd2 (Aldh1a1), En1, En2 and Cck were unaffected by RA treatment and are (subset) specifically modulated by Pitx3...
- Retinaldehyde dehydrogenase 1 coordinates hepatic gluconeogenesis and lipid metabolismFlorian W Kiefer
Cardiovascular Division, Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, 77 Avenue Louis Pasteur, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Endocrinology 153:3089-99. 2012..b>Aldh1a1-deficient mice are protected from diet-induced obesity and hence diabetes...
- Retinaldehyde dehydrogenase 1 regulates a thermogenic program in white adipose tissueFlorian W Kiefer
Cardiovascular Division, Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Nat Med 18:918-25. 2012..Here we show that Aldh1a1 is expressed predominately in white adipose tissue (WAT), including visceral depots in mice and humans...
- Aldehyde dehydrogenase 1a1 is dispensable for stem cell function in the mouse hematopoietic and nervous systemsBoaz P Levi
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Department of Internal Medicine, and Center for Stem Cell Biology, Life Sciences Institute, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 2216, USA
Blood 113:1670-80. 2009..This activity has been attributed to Aldh1a1, an enzyme that is expressed at high levels in stem cells and that has been suggested to regulate stem cell ..
- A strain-specific modifier on mouse chromosome 4 controls the methylation of independent transgene lociP Engler
Department of Molecular Genetics and Cell Biology, University of Chicago
Cell 65:939-47. 1991..The pHRD transgene, containing target sequences for the V(D)J recombinase, undergoes site-specific recombination only in lymphoid tissues. This V-J joining is restricted primarily to unmethylated transgene copies...
- Genetics of aldehyde dehydrogenase isozymes in the mouse: evidence for multiple loci and localization of Ahd-2 on chromosome 19G P Timms
Genetics 97:327-36. 1981..Electrophoretic evidence for a third AHD isozyme (designated AHD-Cy), which is predominantly localized in the liver microsomal fraction, is also presented...
- Crystal structure of eta-crystallin: adaptation of a class 1 aldehyde dehydrogenase for a new role in the eye lensO A Bateman
Birkbeck College, School of Crystallography, Malet Street, London WC1E 7HX, UK
Biochemistry 42:4349-56. 2003..It has a better-defined NAD binding site than those of related mammalian ALDH1 enzymes with the cofactor bound in the "hydride transfer" position in all four monomers with small differences ..
- Contribution of cellular retinol-binding protein type 1 to retinol metabolism during mouse developmentNicolas Matt
Institut de Genetique et de Biologie Moleculaire et Cellulaire IGBMC, Institut Clinique de la Souris ICS, CNRS INSERM ULP, College de France, BP10142, 67404 Illkirch Cedex, CU de Strasbourg, France
Dev Dyn 233:167-76. 2005..Therefore, CRBP1 is required in prenatal life to maintain normal amounts of ROL and to ensure its efficient storage but seems of secondary importance for RA synthesis, at least under conditions of maternal vitamin A sufficiency...
- Retinoic acid influences neuronal migration from the ganglionic eminence to the cerebral cortexJames E Crandall
Eunice Kennedy Shriver Center for Mental Retardation, University of Massachusetts Medical School, Waltham, Massachusetts, USA
J Neurochem 119:723-35. 2011..These observations suggest functions of retinoic acid in interneuron diversity and organization of cortical excitatory-inhibitory balance...
- MEK Is a Key Regulator of Gliogenesis in the Developing BrainXiaoyan Li
UNC Neuroscience Center, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC 27599, USA
Neuron 75:1035-50. 2012..We conclude that MEK is essential for acquisition of gliogenic competence by radial progenitors and that levels of MEK activity regulate gliogenesis in the developing cortex...
- Determinants of buildup of the toxic dopamine metabolite DOPAL in Parkinson's diseaseDavid S Goldstein
Clinical Neurocardiology Section, Clinical Neurosciences Program, Division of Intramural Research, National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 1620, USA
J Neurochem 126:591-603. 2013..these indices in transgenic mice with very low vesicular uptake VMAT2-Lo) or with knockouts of the genes encoding ALDH1A1 and ALDH2 (ALDH1A1,2 KO), applied these indices in PD putamen, and estimated the percent decreases in vesicular ..
- Retinaldehyde dehydrogenase enzymes regulate colon enteric nervous system structure and functionElizabeth C Wright-Jin
Department of Pediatrics, Washington University School of Medicine, 660 South Euclid Avenue, St Louis 63110, MO, USA
Dev Biol 381:28-37. 2013..RA is produced by three different enzymes called retinaldehyde dehydrogenases (RALDH1, RALDH2 and RALDH3) that are all expressed in the developing bowel...
- Aldehyde dehydrogenase-1a1 induces oncogene suppressor genes in B cell populationsR Yasmeen
Department of Human Sciences, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
Biochim Biophys Acta 1833:3218-27. 2013..We provide evidence that the retinoic acid-producing enzyme aldehyde dehydrogenase 1a1 (Aldh1a1) is an oncogene suppressor in specific splenic IgG1(+)/CD19(-) and IgG1(+)/CD19(+) B cell populations...
- Vitamin A metabolism and mucosal immune function are distinct between BALB/c and C57BL/6 miceGera Goverse
Department of Molecular Cell Biology and Immunology, VU Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Eur J Immunol 45:89-100. 2015..BALB/c mice were shown to have higher intestinal epithelial expression of RALDH1 (where RALDH is retinaldehyde dehydrogenase), and, consequently, higher RALDH activity in MLN-DCs, leading to an ..
- Excessive Wnt/beta-catenin signaling promotes midbrain floor plate neurogenesis, but results in vacillating dopamine progenitorsNavid Nouri
Northwestern University, Feinberg Medical School, Department of Neurology and Center for Genetic Medicine, 7 113 Lurie Bldg, 303 E Superior Street, Chicago, IL 60611, USA Electronic address
Mol Cell Neurosci 68:131-42. 2015..Our findings will impact embryonic stem cell protocols that utilize Wnt pathway reagents to derive mDA neuron models and therapeutics for Parkinson's disease. ..
- A retinaldehyde dehydrogenase as a structural protein in a mammalian eye lens. Gene recruitment of eta-crystallinC Graham
Section on Molecular Structure and Function, Laboratory of Molecular and Developmental Biology, National Eye Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 2730, USA
J Biol Chem 271:15623-8. 1996..expression of recombinant eta-crystallin show that the protein is a cytoplasmic (class 1) aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH1, EC 126.96.36.199) with activity for the oxidation of retinaldehyde to retinoic acid...
- Identification of SOX3 as an XX male sex reversal gene in mice and humansEdwina Sutton
School of Molecular and Biomedical Science and Australian Research Council Special Research Centre for the Molecular Genetics of Development, University of Adelaide, Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
J Clin Invest 121:328-41. 2011..Together, these data suggest that SOX3 and SRY are functionally interchangeable in sex determination and support the notion that SRY evolved from SOX3 via a regulatory mutation that led to its de novo expression in the early gonad...
- A paradoxical teratogenic mechanism for retinoic acidLeo M Y Lee
School of Biomedical Sciences, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 109:13668-73. 2012..This previously undescribed and unsuspected mechanism provides insight into the molecular pathway of retinoic acid-induced teratogenesis...
- Fenretinide treatment prevents diet-induced obesity in association with major alterations in retinoid homeostatic gene expression in adipose, liver, and hypothalamusGeorge D McIlroy
University of Aberdeen, College of Life Sciences and Medicine, Institute of Medical Sciences, Foresterhill, Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Diabetes 62:825-36. 2013..Moreover, FEN induced RA-responsive genes in RALDH1 KO mice, demonstrating that FEN can augment RA signaling when RA synthesis is impaired...
- Retinoic acid regulates olfactory progenitor cell fate and differentiationMarie Paschaki
Laboratory for Sensory Development, RIKEN Center for Developmental Biology, Kobe 650 0047, Japan
Neural Dev 8:13. 2013....
- β-Escin inhibits NNK-induced lung adenocarcinoma and ALDH1A1 and RhoA/Rock expression in A/J mice and growth of H460 human lung cancer cellsJagan M R Patlolla
Center for Cancer Prevention and Drug Development, 975 NE 10th Street, BRC 1203, University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, Oklahoma City, OK 73104 and Jagan M R Patlolla, E mail
Cancer Prev Res (Phila) 6:1140-9. 2013..Our findings suggest that β-escin inhibits tobacco carcinogen-induced lung tumor formation by modulating ALDH1A1-positive cells and RhoA/Rock signaling.
- Assessment of the risk of blastomere biopsy during preimplantation genetic diagnosis in a mouse model: reducing female ovary function with an increase in age by proteomics methodYang Yu
Center of Reproductive Medicine, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Peking University Third Hospital, No 49 Huayuan Bei Road, Haidian District, Beijing 100191, China
J Proteome Res 12:5475-86. 2013..mice of the 23 differentially expressed proteins that were screened for in both groups, 3 proteins (PSMB8, ALDH1A1, and HSPA4) were selected and identified by Western blotting and quantitative RT-PCR methods, which showed the 3 ..
- An unexpected role for a Wnt-inhibitor: Dickkopf-1 triggers a novel cancer survival mechanism through modulation of aldehyde-dehydrogenase-1 activityU Krause
1 Institute for Regenerative Medicine at Scott and White Hospital, Texas A and M Health Science Center, Module C, Temple, TX, USA 2 Department of Orthopaedics, Scott and White Hospital, Texas A and M Health Science Center College of Medicine, Temple, TX, USA
Cell Death Dis 5:e1093. 2014..in part to upregulation of the stress response enzyme and cancer stem cell marker aldehyde-dehydrogenase-1 (ALDH1)...
- Successful isolation of liver progenitor cells by aldehyde dehydrogenase activity in naïve miceLaurent Dollé
Liver Cell Biology Laboratory, Vrije Universiteit Brussels, Brussels, Belgium
Hepatology 55:540-52. 2012..b>ALDH1A1 expression can be detected in canals of Hering and bile duct epithelial cells and is increased on liver injury...
- Murine and human myogenic cells identified by elevated aldehyde dehydrogenase activity: implications for muscle regeneration and repairJoseph B Vella
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Stem Cell Research Center, Children s Hospital of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States of America
PLoS ONE 6:e29226. 2011..In this study, we hypothesized that elevated ALDH levels could identify murine and human muscle derived cell (hMDC) progenitors, endowed with enhanced stress resistance and muscle regeneration capacity...
- Aldehyde dehydrogenases are regulators of hematopoietic stem cell numbers and B-cell developmentMaura Gasparetto
British Columbia Cancer Agency Terry Fox Laboratory, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Exp Hematol 40:318-29.e2. 2012High levels of the aldehyde dehydrogenase isoform ALDH1A1 are expressed in hematopoietic stem cells (HSCs); however, its importance in these cells remains unclear...
- Neurodegeneration and motor dysfunction in mice lacking cytosolic and mitochondrial aldehyde dehydrogenases: implications for Parkinson's diseaseMargaret Chia Ying Wey
Department of Pharmacology, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, San Antonio, Texas, United States of America
PLoS ONE 7:e31522. 2012..To address this hypothesis, we generated mice null for Aldh1a1 and Aldh2, the two isoforms known to be expressed in substantia nigra dopamine neurons...
- Fibroblast growth factor 2 regulates dopaminergic neuron development in vivoAndreas Ratzka
Institute of Neuroanatomy, Hannover Medical School, Hannover, Germany
J Neurochem 122:94-105. 2012..Increased levels of nuclear FgfR1 in E14.5 FGF-2-deficient mice suggest alterations of integrative nuclear FgfR1 signaling (INFS). In summary, FGF-2 restricts SNpc DA neurogenesis in vivo during late stages of embryonic development...
- The atypical homeoprotein Pbx1a participates in the axonal pathfinding of mesencephalic dopaminergic neuronsPaola Sgadò
Laboratory of Molecular Neuropathology, Centre for Integrative Biology, University of Trento, Trento, Italy
Neural Dev 7:24. 2012....
- Astrocytes as a regulated source of retinoic acid for the brainKirsty D Shearer
Translational Neuroscience, Institute of Medical Sciences, School of Medical Sciences, University of Aberdeen, Aberdeen, Scotland, United Kingdom
Glia 60:1964-76. 2012..Similarly, in conditions of oxidative stress RALDH1 and RALDH2 moved from the cytoplasm to a predominantly nuclear position...
- Retinoic acid induces Sertoli cell paracrine signals for spermatogonia differentiation but cell autonomously drives spermatocyte meiosisMathilde Raverdeau
Institut de Genetique et de Biologie Moleculaire et Cellulaire, Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique Unité Mixte de Recherche 7104, Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale Unité 964, Universite de Strasbourg, Illkirch, France
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 109:16582-7. 2012....
- Characterization of cardiac-resident progenitor cells expressing high aldehyde dehydrogenase activityMarc Estienne Roehrich
Department of Cardiology, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Vaudois CHUV, avenue du Bugnon, 1011 Lausanne, Switzerland
Biomed Res Int 2013:503047. 2013..b>ALDH1A2 expression was highest in ALDH(very-br) cells, intermediate in ALDH(dim) cells, and lowest in ALDH(br) cells...
- Foxa1 and foxa2 are required for the maintenance of dopaminergic properties in ventral midbrain neurons at late embryonic stagesSimon R W Stott
Developmental Neurobiology, Medical Research Council National Institute for Medical Research, London NW7 1AA, United Kingdom
J Neurosci 33:8022-34. 2013..These results extend previous findings and demonstrate a later role for Foxa genes in regulating the maintenance of dopaminergic phenotype in mDA neurons...
- Genetics and ontogeny of aldehyde dehydrogenase isozymes in the mouse: localization of Ahd-1 encoding the mitochondrial isozyme on chromosome 4R S Holmes
Biochem Genet 16:1207-18. 1978..Ontogenetic analyses demonstrated that both AHD isozymes exhibited low activity in late fetal and early neonatal liver and kidney extracts, and reached adult levels within 3 weeks of birth...
- Asymmetrical retinoic acid synthesis in the dorsoventral axis of the retinaP McCaffery
Department of Neurobiology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115
Development 115:371-82. 1992....
- Aldehyde dehydrogenase is a positional marker in the retinaP McCaffery
Department of Neurobiology, Harvard Medical School Boston, MA 02115
Development 112:693-702. 1991....
- Isolation and characterization of a cytosolic aldehyde dehydrogenase-encoding cDNA from mouse liverP Rongnoparut
Department of Biological Sciences, University of Illinois, Chicago 60680
Gene 101:261-5. 1991..The sequence of a 700-bp genomic fragment containing the first exon and 546 bp of 5'-flanking DNA was determined. TATA and CCAAT motifs are located 31 and 73 bp, respectively, from the major tsp...
- Studies with cDNA probes on the in vivo effect of ethanol on expression of the genes of alcohol metabolismS L Bond
Department of Zoology, University of Western Ontario, London, Canada
Alcohol Alcohol 25:385-94. 1990....
- A gene for susceptibility to small intestinal cancer, ssic1, maps to the distal part of mouse chromosome 4R J Fijneman
The Netherlands Cancer Institute, Division of Molecular Genetics, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Cancer Res 55:3179-82. 1995..This difference is highly significant (chi 2 = 31 for D4Mit158). Therefore, one of the genes that influence susceptibility to small intestinal cancer, ssic1, maps to the distal part of chromosome 4...
- The retinal outer segment membrane protein-1 gene (Rom1) maps to the proximal end of mouse chromosome 19B A Taylor
Jackson Laboratory, Bar Harbor, Maine 04609
Genomics 23:510-1. 1994
- Cloning and characterization of the gene encoding mouse mitochondrial aldehyde dehydrogenaseC Chang
Department of Biochemical Genetics, Beckman Research Institute of the City of Hope, Duarte, CA 91010
Gene 148:331-6. 1994..Northern blot hybridization demonstrated the existence of a high level of mALDH2 mRNA in mouse liver and a low level in mouse kidney...
- DNA sequence analysis of the cytosolic acetaldehyde dehydrogenase gene (Ahd-2) in mouse strains with variable ethanol preferencesS L Bond
Department of Zoology, University of Western Ontario, London, Canada
Biochem Med Metab Biol 52:155-9. 1994..These differences cannot explain their variable ethanol preference and the implications of sequence identities among the divergent strains in these regions has yet to be determined...
- Enzymatic conversion of retinaldehyde to retinoic acid by cloned murine cytosolic and mitochondrial aldehyde dehydrogenasesM Chen
Department of Pharmacology, Cornell University Medical College, New York, New York 10021
Mol Pharmacol 46:88-96. 1994..AHD-2 is more active than AHD-M1 in this conversion, but AHD-2 is not the enzyme responsible for this conversion in F9 embryonic stem cells...
- Genes associated with immunoglobulin V(D)J recombination are linked on mouse chromosome 2 and human chromosome 11K Huppi
Laboratory of Genetics, NCI NIH, Bethesda, MD 20892
Immunogenetics 37:288-91. 1993
- Dopamine neuron agenesis in Nurr1-deficient miceR H Zetterström
Department of Neuroscience, Karolinska Institute, S 171 77 Stockholm, Sweden
Science 276:248-50. 1997..These results suggest that putative Nurr1 ligands may be useful for treatment of Parkinson's disease and other disorders of midbrain dopamine circuitry...
- The cytosolic aldehyde dehydrogenase gene (Aldh1) is developmentally expressed in Leydig cellsL A Lopez-Fernandez
Department of Cell and Developmental Biology, Centro de Investigaciones Biologicas C S I C, Velazquez, Madrid, Spain
FEBS Lett 407:225-9. 1997Cytosolic aldehyde dehydrogenase, ALDH1, participates in the oxidation of different aldehydes including that of all-trans retinal to retinoic acid...
- The T-cell oncogenic protein HOX11 activates Aldh1 expression in NIH 3T3 cells but represses its expression in mouse spleen developmentW K Greene
Division of Protein and Nucleic Acid Chemistry, MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology, Cambridge CB2 2QH, United Kingdom
Mol Cell Biol 18:7030-7. 1998..The gene encoding the retinoic acid-synthesizing enzyme aldehyde dehydrogenase 1 (Aldh1), initially called Hdg-1, was found to be ectopically activated by HOX11 in this system...
- Levels of retinoic acid and retinaldehyde dehydrogenase expression in eyes of the Mitf-vit mouse model of retinal degenerationT Duncan
Laboratory of Retinal Cell and Molecular Biology, National Eye Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Mol Vis 5:9. 1999..An additional purpose was to examine the expression of the RA generating enzyme, retinaldehyde dehydrogenase (AHD2), in the eyes of mutant and control mice.
- Dorsal and ventral rentinoic territories defined by retinoic acid synthesis, break-down and nuclear receptor expressionP McCaffery
E Kennedy Shriver Center, Waltham, MA 02452, USA
Mech Dev 85:203-14. 1999....
- Distinct functions for Aldh1 and Raldh2 in the control of ligand production for embryonic retinoid signaling pathwaysR J Haselbeck
Gene Regulation Program, Burnham Institute, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Dev Genet 25:353-64. 1999..Here we show that injection of Xenopus embryos with mRNAs for either mouse Aldh1 or mouse Raldh2 stimulates RA synthesis at low and high levels, respectively, while injection of human ALDH3 mRNA ..
- Identification of endogenous retinoids, enzymes, binding proteins, and receptors during early postimplantation development in mouse: important role of retinal dehydrogenase type 2 in synthesis of all-trans-retinoic acidS M Ulven
Institute for Nutrition Research, University of Oslo, Blindern, Oslo, 0316, Norway
Dev Biol 220:379-91. 2000..Therefore, our results suggest that RALDH2 is a key regulator in initiating retinoic acid synthesis sometime between the mid-primitive streak stage and the late allantoic bud stage in mouse embryos...
- Identification of RALDH-3, a novel retinaldehyde dehydrogenase, expressed in the ventral region of the retinaR Suzuki
Division of Molecular Neurobiology, National Institute for Basic Biology, Department of Molecular Biomechanics, The Graduate University for Advanced Studies, 38 Nishigonaka, Myodaiji cho, Okazaki, Japan
Mech Dev 98:37-50. 2000..These results suggested that Raldh-3 is the key enzyme in the formation of an RA gradient along the dorso-ventral axis during the early eye development, and also in the development of the olfactory system...
- Quantitative axial profiles of retinoic acid in the embryonic mouse spinal cord: 9-cis retinoic acid only detected after all-trans-retinoic acid levels are super-elevated experimentallyS M Ulven
Institute for Nutrition Research, Institute for Basic Medical Sciences, University of Oslo, Oslo, Norway
Dev Dyn 222:341-53. 2001..It sets definite limits on how much 9-cis-RA potentially is present and demonstrates that at-RA predominates over 9-cis-RA by at least 30- to 180-fold in different spinal cord regions...
- cis-Retinol/androgen dehydrogenase, isozyme 3 (CRAD3): a short-chain dehydrogenase active in a reconstituted path of 9-cis-retinoic acid biosynthesis in intact cellsRun Zhuang
Department of Nutritional Sciences and Toxicology, University of California, Berkeley, CA 94720 3104, USA
Biochemistry 41:3477-83. 2002..production in intact cells, in conjunction with each of three retinal dehydrogenases that recognize 9-cis-retinal (RALDH1/AHD2, RALDH2, and ALDH12)...
- Novel retinoic acid generating activities in the neural tube and heart identified by conditional rescue of Raldh2 null mutant miceFelix A Mic
Gene Regulation Program, Burnham Institute, 10901 N Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Development 129:2271-82. 2002..allows development to proceed and results in the establishment of additional sites of RA synthesis linked to Raldh1 expression in the dorsal retina and to Raldh3 expression in the ventral retina, olfactory pit and urinary tract...
- Expression of genes for alcohol and aldehyde metabolizing enzymes in mouse oocytes and preimplantation embryosUjjwal Kumar Rout
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, C S Mott Center for Human Growth and Development, Wayne State University School of Medicine, 275 East Hancock, Detroit, MI 48201, USA
Reprod Toxicol 16:253-8. 2002..The absence of enzymes to convert ethanol to acetaldehyde, coupled with oocyte expression of the acetaldehyde-degrading enzyme, Ahd-5, may be protective for the early embryo...
- Retinaldehyde dehydrogenase 2 (RALDH2)- independent patterns of retinoic acid synthesis in the mouse embryoKaren Niederreither
Institut de Genetique et de Biologie Moleculaire et Cellulaire, Centre National de la Recherche ScientifiqueInstitut National de la Santé et de la Recherche MédicaleUniversité Louis PasteurCollège de France, Strasbourg, France
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99:16111-6. 2002..mouse embryos and investigated whether these activities could be ascribed to the other known RALDH enzymes (RALDH1 and RALDH3)...
- Cloning of monkey RALDH1 and characterization of retinoid metabolism in monkey kidney proximal tubule cellsHelene Brodeur
Laboratory of Nutrition and Cancer, Universite de Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
J Lipid Res 44:303-13. 2003..We have previously characterized and cloned from kidney tissues the rat retinal dehydrogenase type 1 (RALDH1), which oxidizes all-trans and 9-cis retinal with high efficiency but is inactive with 13-cis retinal...
- The so-called "testis-specific aldehyde dehydrogenase" corresponds to type 2 retinaldehyde dehydrogenase in the mouseI Piotr Maly
Institute of Anatomy, University of Basel, Pestalozzistrasse 20, Switzerland
Histochem Cell Biol 119:169-74. 2003..The tissue distribution as well as substrate specificity and isoelectric points indicate that the "testis-specific aldehyde dehydrogenase" corresponds to mouse type 2 retinaldehyde dehydrogenase...
- CYP26A1 and CYP26C1 cooperate in degrading retinoic acid within the equatorial retina during later eye developmentYasuo Sakai
Eunice Kennedy Shriver Center at the University of Massachusetts Medical School, Waltham, MA, USA
Dev Biol 276:143-57. 2004..The safeguard of the RA-poor stripe by two distinct enzymes during later development points to a role in maturation of a significant functional feature like an area of higher visual acuity that develops at its location...
- Retinoic acid, hypoxia, and GATA factors cooperatively control the onset of fetal liver erythropoietin expression and erythropoietic differentiationTakako Makita
Institute for Genetic Medicine, University of Southern California Keck School of Medicine, Los Angeles, CA 90033, USA
Dev Biol 280:59-72. 2005..5 onward is enhancer-independent, and is driven instead by basal promoter elements that provide a sufficient level of expression to support further erythropoietic differentiation...
- Neurogenin2 identifies a transplantable dopamine neuron precursor in the developing ventral mesencephalonLachlan H Thompson
Wallenberg Neuroscience Center, Department of Experimental Medical Science, and Lund Strategic Center for Stem Cell Biology and Cell Therapy, Lund University, BMC A11, SE 221 84 Lund, Sweden
Exp Neurol 198:183-98. 2006..The Ngn2-GFP reporter construct used here thus provides a tool for the identification of mesDA neuron precursors in the VM and selective isolation of transplantable mesDA neuron precursors for transplantation...
- Gene array profiles of alcohol and aldehyde metabolizing enzymes in brains of C57BL/6 and DBA/2 miceSanjiv V Bhave
Department of Pharmacology, University of Colorado at Denver and Health Sciences Center, Aurora, Colorado 80045 0511, USA
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 30:1659-69. 2006..Differences in ethanol metabolizing enzymes expressed in brain have been suggested to contribute to the significant differences in ethanol (alcohol) preference between inbred C57BL/6 and DBA/2 mouse strains...
- High and complementary expression patterns of alcohol and aldehyde dehydrogenases in the gastrointestinal tract: implications for Parkinson's diseaseMarie Westerlund
Department of Neuroscience, Karolinska Institutet, 171 77 Stockholm, Sweden
FEBS J 274:1212-23. 2007..We investigated cellular expression of Adh1, Adh3, Adh4 and Aldh1 mRNA along the rodent GI tract...
- The foxa2 gene controls the birth and spontaneous degeneration of dopamine neurons in old ageRaja Kittappa
Laboratory of Molecular Biology, National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland, United States of America
PLoS Biol 5:e325. 2007..Manipulating forkhead function may regulate both the birth of dopamine neurons and their spontaneous death, two major goals of regenerative medicine...
- Lmx1b-controlled isthmic organizer is essential for development of midbrain dopaminergic neuronsChao Guo
Institute of Neuroscience, Key Laboratory of Neurobiology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Shanghai 200031, China
J Neurosci 28:14097-106. 2008..Thus, our results indicate that the inductive activity of IsO is essential, but Lmx1b expression in mDA neurons is dispensable for their differentiation and maintenance...
- Male-specific expression of Aldh1a1 in mouse and chicken fetal testes: implications for retinoid balance in gonad developmentJosephine Bowles
Division of Molecular Genetics and Development, Institute for Molecular Biosciences, The University of Queensland, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Dev Dyn 238:2073-80. 2009..We report here that the gene encoding a cytosolic class-1 aldehyde dehydrogenase, ALDH1A1, a weak catalyst of RA production, is strongly expressed in a male-specific manner in somatic cells of the ..
- Chemokine CXCL13 is essential for lymph node initiation and is induced by retinoic acid and neuronal stimulationSerge A van de Pavert
Department of Molecular Cell Biology and Immunology, VU University Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Nat Immunol 10:1193-9. 2009..Therefore, our data show that the initiation of lymph node development is controlled by RA-mediated expression of CXCL13 and suggest that RA may be provided by adjacent neurons...
- Delayed dopaminergic neuron differentiation in Lrp6 mutant miceGoncalo Castelo-Branco
Laboratory of Molecular Neurobiology, Medical Biochemistry and Biophysics, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Dev Dyn 239:211-21. 2010..5. Our results, therefore, suggest a role for Lrp6 in the onset of DA neuron development in the VM as well as a role in midbrain morphogenesis...
- Fzd3 and Fzd6 deficiency results in a severe midbrain morphogenesis defectSebastian Stuebner
Institute of Developmental Genetics, Helmholtz Centre Munich, German Research Centre for Environmental Health, and Technical University Munich, Deutsches Zentrum für Neurodegenerative Erkrankungen DZNE, Munich Neuherberg, Germany
Dev Dyn 239:246-60. 2010..Fzd3 and Fzd6 thus control proper midbrain morphogenesis by a yet unknown mechanism in the mouse...
- Retinoic acid signaling in perioptic mesenchyme represses Wnt signaling via induction of Pitx2 and Dkk2Sandeep Kumar
Burnham Institute for Medical Research, Development and Aging Program, La Jolla, California 92037, USA
Dev Biol 340:67-74. 2010..Genetic studies using Raldh1/Raldh3 double null mice deficient for ocular RA synthesis demonstrated that Pitx2 and Dkk2 were both down-..
- Vax2 regulates retinoic acid distribution and cone opsin expression in the vertebrate eyeGiovanna Alfano
Telethon Institute of Genetics and Medicine TIGEM, Naples, Italy
Development 138:261-71. 2011..These data demonstrate for the first time that Vax2 is both necessary and sufficient for the control of intraretinal RA metabolism, which in turn contributes to the appropriate expression of cone opsins in the vertebrate eye...
- Expression of retinaldehyde dehydrogenase enzymes in mucosal dendritic cells and gut-draining lymph node stromal cells is controlled by dietary vitamin ARosalie Molenaar
Department of Molecular Cell Biology and Immunology, Vrije University Medical Center, 1007 MB Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Immunol 186:1934-42. 2011..Our results show that RA-dependent signaling within the intestine is indispensable for RALDH activity in the draining MLN...
- MECHANISMS FOR CHEMOPREVENTION OF COLON CANCERCHINTHALAPALLY RAO; Fiscal Year: 2004..Tissue distribution and comparative metabolism studies of curcumin and PEMC will be studied with synthetic [3H] curcumin and [3H]-PEMC in vivo in male F-344 rats. ..
- PREVENTION OF COLORECTAL CANCER BY iNOS AND COX-2 SELECTIVE INHIBITORSCHINTHALAPALLY RAO; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Parkinsonian mouse model: impaired respiratory enzymesLars Olson; Fiscal Year: 2005..2. To determine if respiratory chain dysfunction in DA neurons will induce a PD like phenotype and validate this approach as a new and unique model of Parkinson's Disease. ..